NATION

PASSWORD

Seize the Throne [Open/OOC/Fantasy]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Zapatha wrote:Dude, 20 million is wayyyy too much tbh.

This is a medieval fantasy RP, and the entire population of Europe in 1350 was 70 million, even less so in the High Middle Ages. And if you're saying 69 percent would fight for Draconia, that's an army in the millions which is comparable to modern day superpowers, not medieval sized armies.

Even if you could support the population the fact Draconians have an immensely longer lifespan than others implies one of two things. They either reproduce slowly over decades or have a near sterile reproduction rate since longer lifespans often equal slower reproduction. Its why dogs, cats, and mice can out reproduce humans several times over in the span of a year since their lifespans are shorter.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Zapatha wrote:

This is a medieval fantasy RP, and the entire population of Europe in 1350 was 70 million, even less so in the High Middle Ages. And if you're saying 69 percent would fight for Draconia, that's an army in the millions which is comparable to modern day superpowers, not medieval sized armies.

In comparison, my character (Duke Randyll's) forces number at around 70-80,000 and even then that would be stretching his coffers thin of money to fund arming, training, and feeding all of those fighters. It would be infeasible to do the same for millions of draconians with their apparently voracious appetites.

Especially with that long lifespan...they essentially would strip entire environments bare to the point the only thing left is themselves (to eat).
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Zapatha
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zapatha » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Agreed, though I'm sure that the lore can be worked with to make it feasible for the draconians. Perhaps it could be something similar to elves from LoTR or elves in general.

Zapatha
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zapatha » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:00 pm

The Hierophancy wrote:What's religion like in the various realms, by the way?

I think in the intro written by Void and timeline, he said that basically the first god died to create the sun and the other gods. The Empire lies on the god Gaia, similar to Gaia from irl I suppose. Not sure about the other gods, though the god of the demons is basically dead I believe.

I think distinct regions of the Empire could have different names for the same gods too, kind of like how the Romans adapted the Greek gods into their own pantheon but under different names like Mars, Juno, etc.
Last edited by Zapatha on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barratistan
Secretary

Founded: Sep 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Barratistan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:13 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:THE ORDER OF THE RED HAND

Now it would be interesting they support a claimant out-of-nowhere like a bastard or something when shit hits the fan

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Alright, I'm making it 10 million. About 2/3 the population of the Russian Tsardom in 1500. Also, the 69% is people willing to, not the army we could mobilise. It's more of a 'would you be willing to die for the cause?' question than 'enlist here!'. In practice, only about 5-10% could be mobilised due to agriculture.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Tasuirin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasuirin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:27 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:

Alright, I'm making it 10 million. About 2/3 the population of the Russian Tsardom in 1500. Also, the 69% is people willing to, not the army we could mobilise. It's more of a 'would you be willing to die for the cause?' question than 'enlist here!'. In practice, only about 5-10% could be mobilised due to agriculture.

Seriously, mate, you can't have it both ways. Either they live very long lives or they have a massive population. Biology tells us that the two don't usually mix well. Add to that the fact that your Draconians are basically "humans but amazing", and if nothing else, it's seriously OP to include that many people.

Also, you forget that 5-10% is still, in the proposed population you gave, about half-a-million to a million people, who would mostly surpass humans in most aspects. That's larger than most people's entire populations in this RP. Please reconsider.
Last edited by Tasuirin on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC'ly, Tasuirin is:
An Absolute Monarchy, A Federal Monarchy, Neo-Feudalistic, Anti-Democratic, Mercantilist, Five Kingdoms, Ruled by One King
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ASEXUAL~ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ☭ ★ ☭ ★ ☭ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ATHEIST ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ CELTIC ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ AUSTRALIAN ⋅.} ──── ⊰

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Tasuirin wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Alright, I'm making it 10 million. About 2/3 the population of the Russian Tsardom in 1500. Also, the 69% is people willing to, not the army we could mobilise. It's more of a 'would you be willing to die for the cause?' question than 'enlist here!'. In practice, only about 5-10% could be mobilised due to agriculture.

Seriously, mate, you can't have it both ways. Either they live very long lives or they have a massive population. Biology tells us that the two don't usually mix well. Add to that the fact that your Draconians are basically "humans but amazing", and if nothing else, it's seriously OP to include that many people.

Also, you forget that 5-10% is still, in the proposed population you gave, about half-a-million to a million people, who would mostly surpass humans in most aspects. That's larger than most people's entire populations in this RP. Please reconsider.

Don't forget that Draconia used to be the size of Russia + Greenland (Or South America if you prefer), but then fine. I'll make it 5 million. The lowest I'll go is 3 million but I don't think that's necessary. Draconia was an entire Empire, and so the max we could mobilise is then 170,000. That's about the army size of...the Austrian military IRL. So not bad.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Barratistan
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Barratistan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:28 pm

My very first IC post, it would soon clear out ladies and gentlemen I promise. Soon I shall also present some lore regarding our Sea Peoples and grudgingly make another post ICly about my late arrival at the feast/meeting.

Until then, ta ta :D

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:29 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Tasuirin wrote:Seriously, mate, you can't have it both ways. Either they live very long lives or they have a massive population. Biology tells us that the two don't usually mix well. Add to that the fact that your Draconians are basically "humans but amazing", and if nothing else, it's seriously OP to include that many people.

Don't forget that Draconia used to be the size of Russia + Greenland (Or South America if you prefer), but then fine. I'll make it 5 million. The lowest I'll go is 3 million but I don't think that's necessary. Draconia was an entire Empire, and so the max we could mobilise is then 170,000. That's about the army size of...the Austrian military IRL. So not bad.

As far as size and population go, your choices are whatever the OP says they are, quite frankly. I still have to discuss it with VOID, but I’d venture to say that you shouldn’t get too set on a massive just-add-revolution empire.

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Waiting for app to be reviewed so i can post...

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Skarten wrote:Waiting for app to be reviewed so i can post...

Indeed.

Zapatha
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zapatha » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:16 pm

Well the OP has said that he just started college back up again, I'm sure that either VOID or Khas will get to it as soon as they can.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Made another post.

Lets hope Siona and Rithi don't offend any vampires in their ignorance.
Proud member of the Federation Of Isles.

The Lamplighter will return in times of Blight.
When you are lost in darkness, search for the light.

"The crown and whales will always provide."

Emperor Tyrus Willun The Conqueror.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:Made another post.

surprised Siona didnt react when the young vampire made a joke of her being part of Grimm's harem
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Union Princes wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:Made another post.

surprised Siona didnt react when the young vampire made a joke of her being part of Grimm's harem

Well, she tends to be of a pretty stoic disposition. I figured that would be the type of thing that wouldn't even phase her, since she is more concerned with trying to learn and study than get into fights with some young knight who doesn't know any better.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know how many characters we are allowed to make? Because Ive got two other possible characters in the work, but I can ditch them if we can only have one.
Last edited by The Twelve Isles on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:16 pm

There has been no specific limit listed but the general rule is all across rps I seen is "Write what you can manage."

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Union Princes wrote:There has been no specific limit listed but the general rule is all across rps I seen is "Write what you can manage."

Great, thanks. I've got plans for two more characters, so that's good to know.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Made a reply.

its not Siona's ignorance that she should be worried about.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Union Princes wrote:Made a reply.

its not Siona's ignorance that she should be worried about.

Replied as well.

The vampires have chosen some challenging prey.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:51 pm

Apologies for my absence. College starts up again, soon; lots of IRL stuff to take care of. In the meantime, Khas is in charge.

I'll try to update the OOC as soon as I can, and as I have yet to post in the IC, I will likely pass on a copy of my IC post to Khas and ask her to post for me. Alternatively, I'll look into the IC and TG individualized responses for each of those who have interacted with Jonathan and are still waiting, while also providing Khas with the next plot-moving post. We'll see in the morning.

Rannoria
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rannoria » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:27 am

Hey guys, anything I should know before I start making the app?

I have yet to read the IC, but I've got the timeline down. Any character suggestions or ideas you'd like me to take?
This is Rannoria, don't forget to eat your own two feet!

please join the Federation of Allies

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:34 am

Rannoria wrote:Hey guys, anything I should know before I start making the app?

I have yet to read the IC, but I've got the timeline down. Any character suggestions or ideas you'd like me to take?

Well. it's your choice. But i suggest being someone that can actually take part in the whole inheritance crisis thing. You don't need to be a noble, just someone that might be able to even do something, even if it's as simple as being a random mercenary leader who works for an noble in the very likely case that there's a civil war

Rannoria
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rannoria » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:47 am

Skarten wrote:

Well. it's your choice. But i suggest being someone that can actually take part in the whole inheritance crisis thing. You don't need to be a noble, just someone that might be able to even do something, even if it's as simple as being a random mercenary leader who works for an noble in the very likely case that there's a civil war

Sweet.

I'll just do a lord or something like that with maybe a slight twist. Are we basically free to create whatever as long as its logical and is given a good enough backstory? (and with all the other restrictions that come with RPing and whatnot)
This is Rannoria, don't forget to eat your own two feet!

please join the Federation of Allies

Barratistan
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Barratistan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:48 am

Skarten wrote:

Pretty much described nicely.

Btw hope OP accepts your app, 'cause we need it so I torment someone :roll:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse