NATION

PASSWORD

Seize the Throne [Open/OOC/Fantasy]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Utceforp wrote:Finally got back into my account. Will finish my apps by the end of the day.

Same...the site shutdown was beyond annoying, but my app will need to be started first lol.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:10 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:I've accidentally created a sort of tag along who I think is gonna become Siona's apprentice. She wouldn't be the focus of Siona's story, and would really be more like a supporting character, but should I create an app for her as well? Or does it not matter to much, since she isn't the main character for my characters arc?

I don't think so. I'm not apping every single member of the Deathwatch or Morr's other family members
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Tasuirin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasuirin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Union Princes wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:I've accidentally created a sort of tag along who I think is gonna become Siona's apprentice. She wouldn't be the focus of Siona's story, and would really be more like a supporting character, but should I create an app for her as well? Or does it not matter to much, since she isn't the main character for my characters arc?

I don't think so. I'm not apping every single member of the Deathwatch or Morr's other family members

This. I'm thinking of having a 2IC, but I'm not sure we need to app every single person.
IC'ly, Tasuirin is:
An Absolute Monarchy, A Federal Monarchy, Neo-Feudalistic, Anti-Democratic, Mercantilist, Five Kingdoms, Ruled by One King
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ASEXUAL~ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ☭ ★ ☭ ★ ☭ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ATHEIST ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ CELTIC ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ AUSTRALIAN ⋅.} ──── ⊰

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Tasuirin wrote:
Union Princes wrote:

This. I'm thinking of having a 2IC, but I'm not sure we need to app every single person.

Alright, word.

Thanks y'all.
Proud member of the Federation Of Isles.

The Lamplighter will return in times of Blight.
When you are lost in darkness, search for the light.

"The crown and whales will always provide."

Emperor Tyrus Willun The Conqueror.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 pm

You only have to resubmit an application for a character or NPC who has no direct way to be related to your primary character. The exceptions for this are extremely plot-relevant NPCs (such as the Master of the Grand Order of the Gaian Throne), who will be regulated by me without applications.

I'm working on my next IC post. Looking forward to everyone else's posts. I'm gonna review any new completed apps soon, as well as anything else that might need adding to the Lore Post.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 pm

The V O I D wrote:You only have to resubmit an application for a character or NPC who has no direct way to be related to your primary character. The exceptions for this are extremely plot-relevant NPCs (such as the Master of the Grand Order of the Gaian Throne), who will be regulated by me without applications.

I'm working on my next IC post. Looking forward to everyone else's posts. I'm gonna review any new completed apps soon, as well as anything else that might need adding to the Lore Post.

So uhh how many soldiers do I have?
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Bla Ary
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bla Ary » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:38 pm

The V O I D wrote:You only have to resubmit an application for a character or NPC who has no direct way to be related to your primary character. The exceptions for this are extremely plot-relevant NPCs (such as the Master of the Grand Order of the Gaian Throne), who will be regulated by me without applications.

Feel free to note the envoy doesn't show. It's comparable to something like the supreme court not showing up to the state of the union (though he is much less essential to the government).

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:15 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:How many troops do I have? And more importantly, what percent of the total imperial force is that?

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:

So uhh how many soldiers do I have?

Not an official in this or anything so this is just my two cents but I would assume not a significant percentage if we count the private armies of the nobility, city guards, and militias, in fact if we count those in (or we don't) and consider the size of the Terran Empire I would honestly be surprised if a single ordinary general exceeded command of 1% of the standing army simply due to how big a military would be required to keep order in a global empire that is in the age of feudalism (this would also make it so that the armies of the nobility would be fairly separate from the Imperial Army seeing as they can get orders quicker from their lords instead of from some centralized command, which would be relatively impossible with the technology set in the RP). I must also note that, as a global empire, besides the reigning monarch no massive amount of soldiers in the Imperial Army would be concentrated under one general in peace time in order to prevent coups and rebellions. At least the Empire would have learned this to have lasted as long as it has.

Granted "private armies of the nobility" is also a potent source for rebellions and coups but this is (in the words of V O I D) a “medieval, feudal Roman Empire” so the nobility having private armies is kinda expected, though so is the Legions overthrowing the Emperor and declaring their general Emperor.

Just my insight if I had to be realistic. :shrug: As for actual troop numbers yeah V O I D would have to decide the normal size for an army a general might command. And of course V O I D can turn everything I just said on its head.
Last edited by Elysian Kentarchy on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Philosophy and Religion Major

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Elysian Kentarchy wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:How many troops do I have? And more importantly, what percent of the total imperial force is that?

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:So uhh how many soldiers do I have?

Not an official in this or anything so this is just my two cents but I would assume not a significant percentage if we count the private armies of the nobility, city guards, and militias, in fact if we count those in (or we don't) and consider the size of the Terran Empire I would honestly be surprised if a single ordinary general exceeded command of 1% of the standing army simply due to how big a military would be required to keep order in a global empire that is in the age of feudalism (this would also make it so that the armies of the nobility would be fairly separate from the Imperial Army seeing as they can get orders quicker from their lords instead of from some centralized command, which would be relatively impossible with the technology set in the RP). I must also note that, as a global empire, besides the reigning monarch no massive amount of soldiers in the Imperial Army would be concentrated under one general in order to prevent coups and rebellions. At least the Empire would have learned this to have lasted as long as it has.

Granted "private armies of the nobility" is also a potent source for rebellions and coups but this is (in the words of V O I D) a “medieval, feudal Roman Empire” so the nobility having private armies is kinda expected, though so is the Legions overthrowing the Emperor and declaring their general Emperor.

Just my insight if I had to be realistic. :shrug: As for actual troop numbers yeah V O I D would have to decide the normal size for an army a general might command.

Didnt VOID say the more advanced parts of the terran Empire were in colonial era tech
Last edited by Skarten on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:39 pm

Alright, first post is up.

If anyone else is in the crow and wants to interact with Siona, they can feel free.

Bla Ary
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bla Ary » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:20 pm

After further consideration, it could be an excellent plot hook for Atheo to have a... little message for the capital.

Nothing violent, just something like a large vandalized kraken army symbol or the like.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:48 pm

finally, my first post
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Woodstovia wrote:
APPLICATION:

Name: Lord Aerion I d'Autriche, Count of Aceiwyn.
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Appearance:
Personality: Aerion can appear charming, courteous even for short periods of time; however the Count of Aceiwyn is not a nice person at his core. Narcissistic, arrogant and with little regard for anyone but himself, utterly lacking in any sense of loyalty or honour, to many of the commoners Aerion appears to be a dashing young knight out of a fairy tale but to the courtiers, counselors regents and teachers who have known him more deeply over the years he can be a nightmare to deal with. Aerion isn't however needlessly cruel, nor is he a psychopath, more like a petulant child than anything truly malicious. Aerion can also be brave, particularly in battle but this is born from overconfidence rather than something more noble.
Skills: Aerion is a good swordsman, rider, artist and poet. These skills may all improve with age.
House: d'Autriche
Loyalties: Mixed. Aerion tentatively supports Carnifex, not caring much at the rumors of slaving or the lord's cruelty. He is however cautious to give the master of the Inquisitors' Guild the throne as well. beyond Carnifex Aerion is keeping his cards close to his chest, curious about any potential rival candidates and about the option of running himself.

Biography: Many of Aerion's character flaws can be attributed to his early upbringing, born as the first son of lord Laerus and lady Aysche, rulers of the land of Aceiwyn; rich with fertile valleys, long winding rivers and dense, ancient woods. Aceiwyn is very much a region which believes itself "above" the other areas of the Empire. these factors should have led to an easy and happy life but his parents were tragically killed during a shipwreck when Aerion was only 8, throwing his later childhood into what seemed to Aerion like one long nightmare.

The death of his parents lit the powder keg of Aceiwyn court politics, with courtesans, knights, mayors, religious leaders and the like engaging in a bitter conflict over the position of regent. In this atmosphere there was little parental guidance for Aerion who was passed from regent to regent, each too wrapped up in court politics and the governance of the realm to deal with the young lord. This forced Aerion to throw himself into hobbies where he could forget the real world for a little while, usually swordsmanship. Losing himself if for only a few hours into the realm of honourable combat. This uneven distribution of attention with Aerion praised and admired by (some of) his teachers but practically ignored most of the time spiraled into the narcissism he displays today.

Upon reaching the age of 16 Aerion was given full control of his powers but little has changed. The battles in his court still rage on, only now about who will be an adviser instead of who will be regent, corruption which took root in the regency years is blossoming under the watch of a lord who is either ignorant of or simply doesn't care enough to eliminate it. Most of the time the young lord is hunting, hawking, practicing his swordsmanship, writing or painting showing little interest in actually ruling and leaving much of his administrative work to his council of advisers. A short time before the death of the Empress-regent Aerion gathered his banners and crushed a large bandit encampment which had been terrorizing the nearby village of Marchane. The bandits were quickly crushed however their leader wielded a strange blade: a cruel, curved broadsword which seems to glimmer and dance with light. the leader was a formidable warrior who downed 4 men before Aerion slew him, taking the sword as a trophy. Since that day the blade has been ever-present on the young lord's waist and many of his worst traits have become uglier and more pronounced.

RP Example: viewtopic.php?p=27268236&sid=5cc7cd85847226ed9ae8257349d63633#p27268236
viewtopic.php?p=35124212#p35124212
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=367453&p=27782269&hilit=alex+alex+library#p27782269

#SeizeTheThrone

If you would have me, would you be in favor of recruiting Sabemai to your cause?
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:07 pm

Sure I mentioned I wanted him, maybe you could have miraculously healed someone after the bandit fight so he's employed you?

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 pm

Woodstovia wrote:Sure I mentioned I wanted him, maybe you could have miraculously healed someone after the bandit fight so he's employed you?

And when shall this fight begin? Or did I miss it in IC?

Woodstovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Woodstovia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 pm

Joohan wrote:
Woodstovia wrote:Sure I mentioned I wanted him, maybe you could have miraculously healed someone after the bandit fight so he's employed you?

It's the last part of his bio

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:22 pm

Woodstovia wrote:
Joohan wrote:

It's the last part of his bio

Got it, expect my post up sometime tomor

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:03 pm

Utceforp wrote:
The Istmenn Companies

The Artanni have a long and hallowed mercenary tradition, dating back to the early Umirling period. In those days, the blood of the people of Umir was strongest on the Eastern Isles, where the peasants still spoke the language Umir spoke, and fought using old Umirling tactics, such as axes, shield walls, and mind-altering magic. These islanders were renowned for their prowess as heavy infantry. and mercenaries from the isles were highly sought after by lords from mainland Artana. Eventually, as the islander mercenaries became more wealthy, they started plying their trade on Terra as well, serving as bodyguards and heavy infantry to northeastern families such as the Veliras, and sometimes even the Regines themselves. These warriors dubbed themselves "Istmenn", meaning "East Men" in their dialect. Eventually, humans and Wild Elves from mainland Artana began joining the companies as well, and the distinctly East Islander culture of the companies faded away, but their tactics, weaponry, and terminology remained.

Many of the modern Istmenn companies can trace their origins to the Artanni civil war 30 years ago. After the conclusion of the war, High King Brendan forcibly disbanded much of the disloyal clans' armies, leaving thousands of veteran soldiers with no clear source of income. These soldiers either joined the existing companies or founded new ones, and as a result the modern Istmenn have a decidedly poor view of Clan Blackhand.

A typical infantryman in an Istmenn company is armed with a sparth axe, a shorter bearded axe, a round shield made from wood and iron, and a unique magical artifact called a "Shield-Biter charm" that bolsters the user's courage and aggressiveness when the right incantation is used. The Istmenn also employ pikemen, archers, and powerful mages in smaller numbers.

Currently, the largest and wealthiest Istmenn company is the Red Company, founded by Hafdonnal Thorfinnson, a former retainer of Duncan the Elder and a veteran of the Artanni civil war. The Red Company's banner is three white spears on a red background, and their motto is "Sooner wound the wind."

APPLICATION:

Name: Captain Duncan Thorn of the Red Company
Appearance:
Personality: Hot-headed and obsessive, Duncan reacts poorly to anything he perceives as an attack on himself. Duncan is ambitious, seeking to prove himself in combat and life. He is filled with resentment towards the Blackhands and anyone he deems as collaborators with them. Otherwise though, he is friendly and likes to talk to people, and can be surprisingly self-deprecating at times.
Skills: Expert fighter with the two-handed axe or sword, handsome and charismatic
House: Clan Thorn, distant cousin and heir
Loyalties: Duncan wishes to supplant Clan Blackhand and declare himself High King. Anyone who can help him do this is someone he is willing to ally with.
Biography: Clan Thorn claims direct descent from Thorin Payle, who in turn claimed direct descent from Ivar the Pale, the eldest child of Umir the Lame. Clan Thorn's coat of arms is a silver songbird with its wings outstretched, with a black beak and talons, on a pale blue background. The Thorns controls about one sixth of Galwood, the former heartland of the Payles, from their seat of Briar Hill in southwestern Artana. Briar Hill is the largest city on Artana by a large margin, allowing the Thorns to "punch above their weight" in terms of wealth and population.

Duncan was born a year before the Artanni civil war ended, to Chief Duncan "the Elder" Thorn and his wife, Gruach Blackhand, the sister of Brynn Blackhand. At the conclusion of the war, Duncan the Elder was executed for his role in the rebellion. A distant cousin of Duncan's was installed as Chief of the Thorns, in order to prevent one branch of the clan from gaining too much power, but the younger Duncan was declared this cousin's heir.

As Duncan aged he became tired of Briar Hill, seeking adventure and battle. To satisfy this need, he joined the Red Company when he turned sixteen. Captain Hafdonnal Thorfinnson, leader of the Red Company, immediately took Duncan under his wing, as the man was an old Thorn loyalist. Hafdonnal was an angry man at heart, one who had held onto every indignity and humiliation he had suffered during and after the civil war. Hafdonnal saw a kindred spirit in Duncan, who had the same anger, and had even lost his father to King Brendan.

Hafdonnal secretly confessed to Duncan that he wanted to see a descendant of Ivar the Pale as High King once again. The boy, who had come to see Hafdonnal as something of a father figure, enthusiastically agreed. Not long after this time, however, Hafdonnal contracted a debilitating magical disease and slowly wasted away in his bed. On his deathbed, Hafdonnal made Duncan swear that he would not die in his bed too, but on the battlefield, fighting for their cause. Duncan swore to do so, and he was hailed as the new Captain and "true heir" by the warriors of the Red Company.

Since then Duncan has accepted work all throughout Terra, gathering wealth and men and waiting for his opportunity to strike. After the death of Empress Artemis, Duncan and his warriors have made their way to the Imperial City, hoping that the inevitable chaos will create opportunities for work.

RP Example: (3, minimum, unless I know you)
#SeizeTheThrone

Finished my other app. Will have RP samples up soon.
Signatures are so 2014.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Finished my apps, and added three RP samples
Utceforp wrote:
APPLICATION:

Name: Brendan Blackhand, High King of the Artanni, the Blackhand, Earl of Galwood and the Southern Isles
Appearance:
Personality: Brendan is a quiet, reserved man. He is quite dour and cynical. When something upsets him, Brendan keeps quiet about it, but eventually his anger will grow and he will no longer be able to contain an outburst. Brendan refuses to involve himself in, or even observe, a fight, and is thus is derided in secret as a "craven" by most of the other members of the nobility. However, if he is in a truly life-threatening situation, he often flies into a mad rage that he cannot remember afterwards. He has several odd quirks, such as never being present at a feast while meat is being served, and refusing to speak of the Artanni civil war.
Skills: Skilled, if rusty, swordsman. A cool-headed leader in most situations. He has a sort of pithy, laconic charisma, even if he doesn't like talking much.
House: Clan Blackhand
Loyalties: Brendan, above all else, desires to not be dragged into a war. He utterly despises Lord Carnifex, but is unlikely to oppose him through force of arms unless there are no other options.
Biography: The Blackhands claim descent from Bjorn of the Black Hand, one of the sons of Umir the Lame, who is said to have had his left hand blackened by frostbite during a period of exile. As such, the Blackhands use a black left hand on a golden field as their heraldry. Originally a clan of little importance, the Blackhands were exiled from Artana after their lands were invaded by the Payles, then returned to claim the High Kingship with Terran support. In exchange for their aid, the Blackhands agreed to submit to Terran overlordship, but have remained autonomous de facto for most of their existence. The Blackhands rule from Breakwater Fort, a castle nestled between the mountains and the sea on Artana's southeastern coast.

Brendan was born to the future High King Bernard Blackhand and a woman named "Ellyn" who sold fish at a harbour near Breakwater Fort's harbour, the result of a youthful dalliance on his part before he was officially wed. High King Bernard would bring Brendan into his court, but at the behest of his first wife Brendan was mostly raised by nannies and away from his family. Though sickly as an infant, Brendan would soon grow into a strong young boy, deciding he wanted to squire under his father so he could eventually become a knight in his father's armies. Bernard, however, had begun to see Brendan as something of an embarrassment. While Bernard granted Brendan's wish to become a squire, he sent him to train under one of his knights far from Breakwater Fort, rather than under himself.

While Brendan lived at the edge of Blackhand territory, Bernard had trouble conceiving an heir born in wedlock. Like Brendan, all of Bernard's other children were born sickly, but unlike him they all died either in childbirth or within three years of life. Bernard's first wife died after her second stillbirth and fourth dead child, and his second produced only further dead children. Bernard was consumed by grief in the wake of these events, becoming known as "Bernard the Bereaved". He fell into a depression, ultimately throwing himself from Breakwater Fort's battlements into the sea, a few months after Brendan's fifteenth birthday. Not long after his death a document in Bernard's handwriting was found - Bernard had come to believe that his stillborn children were a curse placed on him for exiling Brendan, and to make up for this he had legitimized Brendan and named him his heir before committing suicide.

The Longtooths, Thorns, and various other minor clans disputed the document - They claimed Bernard had clearly been in unsound mind when he had written it, and in any case, it was not the right of the High King to unilaterally choose his own heir. This faction named Bernard's cousin Brynn the next High King and Chief of Clan Blackhand. However, Brendan had grown into quite the warrior, and much of the realm supported him when he declared his intent to press his claim, including the Ribbells, the Skinners, the Argosses, and the Vulnes. Artana descended into civil war.

After he marched east with his men, Brendan killed several Clan Chiefs who had aligned with Brynn, and lead the sieging and sacking of many towns. After a devastating loss, Brendan was forced to play dead in a pile of slain Blackhand soldiers, while soldiers loyal to Brynn dismembered the corpses to ensure they were truly dead. He avoid being killed through sheer luck, then escaped back to his camp to rally his army. After five long years of devastating war, the war turned in Brendan's favour, and he managed to besiege Breakwater Fort. Brendan did not personally lead the siege of the castle, leaving the task to his commanders. After the battle was one, one of Brendan's commanders presented him with the head of Brynn Blackhand impaled on a spear. Brendan had the commander stripped of his position, and had the head and body buried with honours. At the feast celebrating his victory a few days later, Brendan excused himself halfway through, retiring to his tent. He then refused to participate the tourney organized a few months later, causing rumours to spread that he was secretly a coward, and the man who had fought during the civil war was another man being paid to wear Brendan's armour.

Brendan stripped the Thorns and Longtooths of much of their land, keeping some for himself and granting some to the clans that had fought for him. For the past three decades Brendan has kept the peace in Artana, slowly rebuilding from the death and destruction caused by the war. However, with the death of Empress Artemis, he worries that Terra will fall into strife, and drag Artana back into chaos. Brendan has left Artana for the Imperial City to oversee the ascension of a new monarch, leaving his children and wife at Breakwater Fort.
RP Example:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=421433&p=32379190#p32379190
viewtopic.php?p=34647166#p34647166
viewtopic.php?p=28598332#p28598332
#SeizeTheThrone

Utceforp wrote:
The Istmenn Companies

The Artanni have a long and hallowed mercenary tradition, dating back to the early Umirling period. In those days, the blood of the people of Umir was strongest on the Eastern Isles, where the peasants still spoke the language Umir spoke, and fought using old Umirling tactics, such as axes, shield walls, and mind-altering magic. These islanders were renowned for their prowess as heavy infantry. and mercenaries from the isles were highly sought after by lords from mainland Artana. Eventually, as the islander mercenaries became more wealthy, they started plying their trade on Terra as well, serving as bodyguards and heavy infantry to northeastern families such as the Veliras, and sometimes even the Regines themselves. These warriors dubbed themselves "Istmenn", meaning "East Men" in their dialect. Eventually, humans and Wild Elves from mainland Artana began joining the companies as well, and the distinctly East Islander culture of the companies faded away, but their tactics, weaponry, and terminology remained.

Many of the modern Istmenn companies can trace their origins to the Artanni civil war 30 years ago. After the conclusion of the war, High King Brendan forcibly disbanded much of the disloyal clans' armies, leaving thousands of veteran soldiers with no clear source of income. These soldiers either joined the existing companies or founded new ones, and as a result the modern Istmenn have a decidedly poor view of Clan Blackhand.

A typical infantryman in an Istmenn company is armed with a sparth axe, a shorter bearded axe, a round shield made from wood and iron, and a unique magical artifact called a "Shield-Biter charm" that bolsters the user's courage and aggressiveness when the right incantation is used. The Istmenn also employ pikemen, archers, and powerful mages in smaller numbers.

Currently, the largest and wealthiest Istmenn company is the Red Company, founded by Hafdonnal Thorfinnson, a former retainer of Duncan the Elder and a veteran of the Artanni civil war. The Red Company's banner is three white spears on a red background, and their motto is "Sooner wound the wind."

APPLICATION:

Name: Captain Duncan Thorn of the Red Company
Appearance:
Personality: Hot-headed and obsessive, Duncan reacts poorly to anything he perceives as an attack on himself. Duncan is ambitious, seeking to prove himself in combat and life. He is filled with resentment towards the Blackhands and anyone he deems as collaborators with them. Otherwise though, he is friendly and likes to talk to people, and can be surprisingly self-deprecating at times.
Skills: Expert fighter with the two-handed axe or sword, handsome and charismatic
House: Clan Thorn, distant cousin and heir
Loyalties: Duncan wishes to supplant Clan Blackhand and declare himself High King. Anyone who can help him do this is someone he is willing to ally with.
Biography: Clan Thorn claims direct descent from Thorin Payle, who in turn claimed direct descent from Ivar the Pale, the eldest child of Umir the Lame. Clan Thorn's coat of arms is a silver songbird with its wings outstretched, with a black beak and talons, on a pale blue background. The Thorns controls about one sixth of Galwood, the former heartland of the Payles, from their seat of Briar Hill in southwestern Artana. Briar Hill is the largest city on Artana by a large margin, allowing the Thorns to "punch above their weight" in terms of wealth and population.

Duncan was born a year before the Artanni civil war ended, to Chief Duncan "the Elder" Thorn and his wife, Gruach Blackhand, the sister of Brynn Blackhand. At the conclusion of the war, Duncan the Elder was executed for his role in the rebellion. A distant cousin of Duncan's was installed as Chief of the Thorns, in order to prevent one branch of the clan from gaining too much power, but the younger Duncan was declared this cousin's heir.

As Duncan aged he became tired of Briar Hill, seeking adventure and battle. To satisfy this need, he joined the Red Company when he turned sixteen. Captain Hafdonnal Thorfinnson, leader of the Red Company, immediately took Duncan under his wing, as the man was an old Thorn loyalist. Hafdonnal was an angry man at heart, one who had held onto every indignity and humiliation he had suffered during and after the civil war. Hafdonnal saw a kindred spirit in Duncan, who had the same anger, and had even lost his father to King Brendan.

Hafdonnal secretly confessed to Duncan that he wanted to see a descendant of Ivar the Pale as High King once again. The boy, who had come to see Hafdonnal as something of a father figure, enthusiastically agreed. Not long after this time, however, Hafdonnal contracted a debilitating magical disease and slowly wasted away in his bed. On his deathbed, Hafdonnal made Duncan swear that he would not die in his bed too, but on the battlefield, fighting for their cause. Duncan swore to do so, and he was hailed as the new Captain and "true heir" by the warriors of the Red Company.

Since then Duncan has accepted work all throughout Terra, gathering wealth and men and waiting for his opportunity to strike. After the death of Empress Artemis, Duncan and his warriors have made their way to the Imperial City, hoping that the inevitable chaos will create opportunities for work.

RP Example: (3, minimum, unless I know you)
#SeizeTheThrone
Signatures are so 2014.

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:14 am

Skarten wrote:
Elysian Kentarchy wrote:

Not an official in this or anything so this is just my two cents but I would assume not a significant percentage if we count the private armies of the nobility, city guards, and militias, in fact if we count those in (or we don't) and consider the size of the Terran Empire I would honestly be surprised if a single ordinary general exceeded command of 1% of the standing army simply due to how big a military would be required to keep order in a global empire that is in the age of feudalism (this would also make it so that the armies of the nobility would be fairly separate from the Imperial Army seeing as they can get orders quicker from their lords instead of from some centralized command, which would be relatively impossible with the technology set in the RP). I must also note that, as a global empire, besides the reigning monarch no massive amount of soldiers in the Imperial Army would be concentrated under one general in order to prevent coups and rebellions. At least the Empire would have learned this to have lasted as long as it has.

Just my insight if I had to be realistic. :shrug: As for actual troop numbers yeah V O I D would have to decide the normal size for an army a general might command.

Didnt VOID say the more advanced parts of the terran Empire were in colonial era tech

He said "maybe in colonial era tech" :P Well his exact words were

Tech level varies greatly, but generally, the most advanced parts of Terra are maybe equivalent with the colonial era (along with ships that can traverse the globe via the ocean surrounding the main continent). The least advanced parts of Terra are stuck somewhere between “ancient Roman Empire” and High Middle Ages/Dark Ages.

So it really is a case of where you live in this large empire.

The Twelve Isles wrote:Alright, first post is up.

reads it

...Long posts for the Post God! Words for the Word Throne!
Last edited by Elysian Kentarchy on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Philosophy and Religion Major

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:26 am

Hey, quick question, did Empress die as an old woman or a young woman?

Tasuirin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasuirin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:44 am

Elysian Kentarchy wrote:So it really is a case of where you live in this large empire.

And if you happen to live in a tribal lizard society... Ehh...
IC'ly, Tasuirin is:
An Absolute Monarchy, A Federal Monarchy, Neo-Feudalistic, Anti-Democratic, Mercantilist, Five Kingdoms, Ruled by One King
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ASEXUAL~ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ☭ ★ ☭ ★ ☭ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ATHEIST ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ CELTIC ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ AUSTRALIAN ⋅.} ──── ⊰

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 am

Elysian Kentarchy wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:Alright, first post is up.

reads it

I don't write simple RP posts. No, those are for peasants.

I write novels.

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:36 am

The Twelve Isles wrote:
Elysian Kentarchy wrote:

reads it

I write novels.

I'm still writting an overview of my sub-state, and so far it's with 500 words,But guess what.

I haven't even started to tell the history of my "House"

I'm still describing the royal palace.
Last edited by Skarten on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:02 am

Skarten wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:

I write novels.

I'm still writting an overview of my sub-state, and so far it's with 500 words,But guess what.

I haven't even started to tell the history of my "House"

I'm still describing the royal palace.

Damn, that's got me beat.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse