NATION

PASSWORD

Washington 2017: The U.S. Political RP IC-Volume II (OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Gene Eric's Office, Harte Senate Office Building, Washington D.C.

Eric kept his hands folded on the desk as he gave Anderson his response.

"I don't think I've ever heard of Yuengling before, but that might be a part of my point in what I'm about to say."

"People, or voters, if you want to think about them that way, are better than you think at sussing out authenticity, and a lack of it. Most times even someone who doesn't follow along with the politics and what you've been campaigning on can still tell if you're trying to put on airs."

"Maybe you're not the kind of person that most people would want to have a beer with. Better to know that and accept that than try to pretend too much that you're that guy. You know that guy, maybe you work with him, maybe you drink with him, but he'll always come up to you, throw an arm over your shoulder, just come up around you more than a golden retriever would, he's loud, he jokes-he thinks you're best buddies, thinks he's everyone's friend, but most people, they breathe a sigh of relief when he leaves the room."

"Maybe that's a little bit wrong, and we could stand to be friendlier to that person, but what we should be isn't always what we are. There's a rare few people that can be everyone's friend, but there are a lot more that think that they can be, or think they are, till the hammer drops."

"If it comes down to a couple people, and one of them is telling everyone he's their friend, he's their buddy, but you know he's from the City and he won't see you again once he's gone, and the other man is saying that he might not be the most fun at parties, but he's the one who knows the job, and he's the one who can do it, I'd rather be the second man, and most people would rather vote for him."

"Of course it isn't that simple. You don't want to start tweeding up and rub your spectacles and make everyone think you're just a pocket protector who's never had fun in his life, or worse make them think that you think you're a know-it-all. If politics was as easy as just going to one side or the other, everyone would get elected. You have to watch yourself, but I think you could do more good being the man with a plan than the man with a beer."

Eric paused for a moment, letting the advice sink in, and moving forward.

"You asked me about farmers, and that appeal. I'll get to that specific question of yours, but I think I can be of help with a little more advice on what you're looking to do, and it's not too different from what I was just talking about."

"I wasn't a farmer boy. Grew up in Lawton, did my schooling, even went to college, and I've spent more time around this urban jungle than out on the plains. I've seen a lot of politicians think that the way to go out in the country and win those votes is about promises and connections. It isn't. It's about respect."

"A lot of the men that go out there to campaign talk about how they've got plans to bring farming back, and back big, big ideas and policies to revitalize, transform. I've seen them think about how well they've done, and then they fall flat when the voting finally comes, because the people out there didn't buy it. They want things to get better, but they've heard everyone say they've had a plan before. I've seen the same people who lived on sidewalks their whole life try to tie themselves into the wheat fields somehow. The people out there don't care if your granddaddy's second cousin was a man who tilled the earth. They want a look at you."

"I asked you about guns earlier, you said you had a handgun, do yearly safety training, practice at the range sometimes. You might be surprised, but that's more than I can say about myself. I own one gun-a Colt, Model 1917. It was my father's service pistol, during the war. When Jennifer and I got married, the old man, a little time before I was going to walk down the aisle, took me aside, and handed me a box with that gun in it, told me that in an hour, I'd be a man, that he was proud of me, and that that little thing that he carried with him across France, had displayed up over the mantle, that it was mine. That was one of the proudest moments of my life."

Eric had started to drift a little far into his reminiscing, but after a moment, drew back towards the topic.

"The point was, that I've hardly ever fired that gun. Since the kids were born, I don't even keep it loaded. I've never been much of a hunter, and the last time I went to a range-well, it's been a number of years, I don't know what number, but not too small. I'm not too much of a gun guy. Most of my voters know their way around them better than I do. But I respect it. Not just the gun, but owning it, even if it doesn't mean too much to me as a firearm, what it means to others, about self-defense, but anyone can defend themselves, and more importantly about what it means for identity."

"That's what a lot of farmers will look for, a lot of people in the sticks. They can tell that you might not be exactly one of them, but they want to see someone who respects their way of life, and not someone who patronizes it. It's about the periphery more than the actual wheat and corn, most of the time. It's things like respecting not just their right to be arms, but their desire to do it too. It's seeing what they think about God and Scripture and what that means for government and policy, and not looking at that like it's just their and they're entitled to it, or like some kind of flaw that'll go away once they progress, but something that's a real part of their life and their communities. There's more to it than those two things, but they're important. Even talking like this starts making those categories again, shuffling them off into a "voting bloc" of people that you grudgingly have to go to and act rural to get to vote for you. Just saying "them" gives it that sound. It's about not divvying people up like that, but respecting what they're about, and if you can do that, soon you'll find that they'll start to respect what you're about."
Male.
Political Views: Classically Liberal Paleoconservative Neoliberal Libertarian Conservative
"We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Francais, appuyer le numero deux."

WWFD (What Would Fraser Do?)
Community Choice Award for Nation Role Play: The War Cry of Uncle Sam (OP)
Recognized By the Community Miscellaneous Role Play: Washington Political RP (OP)
Recognized By the Community for Exemplary Talent in Nation Role Play: Prolieum

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:
To Rep Ramalan
From Gov Williams
RE: Strategy Discussion

Dear Rep,

I done hope that this letter found you well and in good health. I would be delighted if you done visited me in Governor's Mansion to discuss a victory strategy for your gubernatorial campaign.

Regards,

Fredrick Williams

After his Mount Pocono rally, Ramalan hopped onto a flight to Jackson, where he would show up to the Governor’s Mansion and inform Williams’ secretary
Last edited by Aureumterra on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Tallahassee News Station wrote:
Dentali wrote:
"You need to give me a better idea of what you are asking for or how am I supposed to know what you want? Because going by math and metric i'm telling you Appalachia needs the money."

"All that I am saying to you, Representative, is that there are many, yes, many in need beyond the borders of Appalachia, and I believe that we could do more, much more with a bill that went beyond those borders and farther, to all of the Carolinas, yes, all of the South, or across the country to help those who need help, yes."

"So nothing specific?"
Last edited by Dentali on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:00 pm

EMAIL FROM JASON SAMARA TO JARED O'LEARY

TO: Congressman O'Leary
SUBJECT: Illinois races

I've been taking a look at Mayfield for Governor in Illinois, i've heard rumblings she is going to run. Do you have any thought on her?

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:08 pm

Prolieum wrote:

Eric kept his hands folded on the desk as he gave Anderson his response.

"I don't think I've ever heard of Yuengling before, but that might be a part of my point in what I'm about to say."

"People, or voters, if you want to think about them that way, are better than you think at sussing out authenticity, and a lack of it. Most times even someone who doesn't follow along with the politics and what you've been campaigning on can still tell if you're trying to put on airs."

"Maybe you're not the kind of person that most people would want to have a beer with. Better to know that and accept that than try to pretend too much that you're that guy. You know that guy, maybe you work with him, maybe you drink with him, but he'll always come up to you, throw an arm over your shoulder, just come up around you more than a golden retriever would, he's loud, he jokes-he thinks you're best buddies, thinks he's everyone's friend, but most people, they breathe a sigh of relief when he leaves the room."

"Maybe that's a little bit wrong, and we could stand to be friendlier to that person, but what we should be isn't always what we are. There's a rare few people that can be everyone's friend, but there are a lot more that think that they can be, or think they are, till the hammer drops."

"If it comes down to a couple people, and one of them is telling everyone he's their friend, he's their buddy, but you know he's from the City and he won't see you again once he's gone, and the other man is saying that he might not be the most fun at parties, but he's the one who knows the job, and he's the one who can do it, I'd rather be the second man, and most people would rather vote for him."

"Of course it isn't that simple. You don't want to start tweeding up and rub your spectacles and make everyone think you're just a pocket protector who's never had fun in his life, or worse make them think that you think you're a know-it-all. If politics was as easy as just going to one side or the other, everyone would get elected. You have to watch yourself, but I think you could do more good being the man with a plan than the man with a beer."

Eric paused for a moment, letting the advice sink in, and moving forward.

"You asked me about farmers, and that appeal. I'll get to that specific question of yours, but I think I can be of help with a little more advice on what you're looking to do, and it's not too different from what I was just talking about."

"I wasn't a farmer boy. Grew up in Lawton, did my schooling, even went to college, and I've spent more time around this urban jungle than out on the plains. I've seen a lot of politicians think that the way to go out in the country and win those votes is about promises and connections. It isn't. It's about respect."

"A lot of the men that go out there to campaign talk about how they've got plans to bring farming back, and back big, big ideas and policies to revitalize, transform. I've seen them think about how well they've done, and then they fall flat when the voting finally comes, because the people out there didn't buy it. They want things to get better, but they've heard everyone say they've had a plan before. I've seen the same people who lived on sidewalks their whole life try to tie themselves into the wheat fields somehow. The people out there don't care if your granddaddy's second cousin was a man who tilled the earth. They want a look at you."

"I asked you about guns earlier, you said you had a handgun, do yearly safety training, practice at the range sometimes. You might be surprised, but that's more than I can say about myself. I own one gun-a Colt, Model 1917. It was my father's service pistol, during the war. When Jennifer and I got married, the old man, a little time before I was going to walk down the aisle, took me aside, and handed me a box with that gun in it, told me that in an hour, I'd be a man, that he was proud of me, and that that little thing that he carried with him across France, had displayed up over the mantle, that it was mine. That was one of the proudest moments of my life."

Eric had started to drift a little far into his reminiscing, but after a moment, drew back towards the topic.

"The point was, that I've hardly ever fired that gun. Since the kids were born, I don't even keep it loaded. I've never been much of a hunter, and the last time I went to a range-well, it's been a number of years, I don't know what number, but not too small. I'm not too much of a gun guy. Most of my voters know their way around them better than I do. But I respect it. Not just the gun, but owning it, even if it doesn't mean too much to me as a firearm, what it means to others, about self-defense, but anyone can defend themselves, and more importantly about what it means for identity."

"That's what a lot of farmers will look for, a lot of people in the sticks. They can tell that you might not be exactly one of them, but they want to see someone who respects their way of life, and not someone who patronizes it. It's about the periphery more than the actual wheat and corn, most of the time. It's things like respecting not just their right to be arms, but their desire to do it too. It's seeing what they think about God and Scripture and what that means for government and policy, and not looking at that like it's just their and they're entitled to it, or like some kind of flaw that'll go away once they progress, but something that's a real part of their life and their communities. There's more to it than those two things, but they're important. Even talking like this starts making those categories again, shuffling them off into a "voting bloc" of people that you grudgingly have to go to and act rural to get to vote for you. Just saying "them" gives it that sound. It's about not divvying people up like that, but respecting what they're about, and if you can do that, soon you'll find that they'll start to respect what you're about."

Anderson listens attentively and respectfully, pushing up his glasses and taking a few notes, "thank you, I really appreciate that. I've always been a data guy, and sometimes I do struggle to see people as more than numbers. I do try to treat everyone with respect, I focus heavily on retail spending time with individuals... going door to door speaking with families... I ask as many questions as I answer. I will double down on it, and really show my respect and admiration for them that doesn't always come through" he spoke in a soft and earnest tone that showed his honest intention.

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:16 pm

To: Jason Samara
Subject: Re: Illinois Races

I know about her. From what I've seen she's a better fit for Congress than for Governor. What's got you interested in her?

O'Leary
Proud Co-OP of the 2016 Washington Political RP

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Dentali wrote:
"All that I am saying to you, Representative, is that there are many, yes, many in need beyond the borders of Appalachia, and I believe that we could do more, much more with a bill that went beyond those borders and farther, to all of the Carolinas, yes, all of the South, or across the country to help those who need help, yes."

"So nothing specific?"

"I am a man blessed with the broad vision of a dreamer, and though it has done much for me, I do not have all sight, oh no, for their are other men with other gifts who can know details and make them. I work with the gifts God has given me Representative, yes I do, but I cannot work with what he has given others."

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:
To Rep Ramalan
From Gov Williams
RE: Strategy Discussion

Dear Rep,

I done hope that this letter found you well and in good health. I would be delighted if you done visited me in Governor's Mansion to discuss a victory strategy for your gubernatorial campaign.

Regards,

Fredrick Williams

After his Mount Pocono rally, Ramalan hopped onto a flight to Jackson, where he would show up to the Governor’s Mansion and inform Williams’ secretary

Ramalan would have been greeted with the aroma of lemongrass that would have been impossible to ignore. The secretary sporting a smart white dress shirt and a pencil skirt looked up and smiled at the Representative.

"I presume you be Rep. Ramalan. Of course the Governor has been expecting you. I also hoped that you came with an empty stomach, the Governor has ordered quite a large feast for y'all. Just head upstairs and enter his office, he is expecting you."

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Puebliza wrote:
Dentali wrote:
Samara didn't understand why she was laughing but continued regardless, "I'm with you on Marijuana, and the President being so socially conservative leads me to think he will stand against it, despite the overwhelming public opinion. I recommend a public option rather than single payer but I have no issue with your position, the rest of it seems good. Though tell me more about the lawsuit plan, what would your case be against? WAC?"

"The case would be against the WAC. That type of legislation should be fought against. A women's right to choose is a Human right. - Also tell me, how is your senate run going? do you need me to assist you with anything? you should know I am always here to lend a helping hand."

"I appreciate that, Stevenson has been trying to hit me on women's issues and imply im sexist. So I could use cover on that front."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 pm

To: Jason Samara

I know about her. From what I've seen she's a better fit for Congress than for Governor. What's got you interested in her?

O'Leary

To: Jared O'Leary

Fair enough, I only said Governor because that was the rumor, I also met with Queens County District Attorney Athena Ann Kirkland whose running in New York and she impressed me. I want to get more involved with the party overall, getting people elected across the board. Our party is in rough shape and we need to win some tough races, I just want to do my part without stepping on the toes of the DNC or the DCCC.

Jason

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Dentali wrote:
"So nothing specific?"

"I am a man blessed with the broad vision of a dreamer, and though it has done much for me, I do not have all sight, oh no, for their are other men with other gifts who can know details and make them. I work with the gifts God has given me Representative, yes I do, but I cannot work with what he has given others."

"Well then I guess that its then" Emberton sighs and stands "Thank you for your time Reverend."

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Dentali wrote:

"Well then I guess that its then" Emberton sighs and stands "Thank you for your time Reverend."

"I appreciate the conversation Representative"

Uttland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Uttland » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Democratic Party of Illinois Headquaters, 111 West Washington Street, Chicago, Illinois
Mayfield

The Attorney squirmed in her seat; the meeting was not going well. Across the desk was the relaxed and venerable elder chairman of the Illinois Democratic Party, Henry MacFarland. The man was glued to the position since the eighties, and oversaw countless victories and losses. He was the “shadow governor”, lurking in the midst, a minder and a check to any aspirational Democrat in the state; he could not be challenged. And nor could anyone win much anything without his support. And she had failed to completely convince MacFarland that she was the strongest candidate the party had for the governor’s election next year.

“I don’t mean any offense Mrs. Mayfield, but I worry for how you can appeal to the people of the far reaches of the state, if they even know you. You’re quite Chicago and northern, being a SA for suburb county. With the Progressives coming from nowhere, we can’t really on the cities to be our bastion of support. We’ll need to branch out to the small towns, and by extension, mellow a bit-politically. And we need to secure to the minority vote in the cities, where our support remains constant, ya know,” growled the raspy voice of MacFarland.

Mayfield jumped to her defense; “I understand, sir. But I do believe with the proper backing and early start I can really get my name out there. That’s the entire point of any campaign. And while that’s half the battle, with effective messaging, I think I could actually appeal to the voter you’re talking about; that suburban or small town person from the central or south; if you can talk to them in just the right tone, they’ll learn that they are much more progressive than they let on. We don’t need to mellow. All in all I don’t think I’m a bad candidate-“

MacFarland interrupted. “Now hold on, Attorney. I’m not saying you’re a bad candidate. I think you’re swell. Good record. If you win the primary, you’ll have my full support. But I don’t believe you’re the strongest. As such, I’m not going to be clearing the bush for you and handing you the nomination-“

Susan felt her temper rise, but still tried to keep professional, and herself interrupted. “I’m not asking for that, especially now. I want to prove myself to this party’s base in the primary. Let me make that clear, Mr. MacFarland. I came here to prove myself to the party leadership and ask if you could connect me with some resources especially when it comes to funding and staff.”

MacFarland paused for thought, and shifted tone. “How much of operation do you have now? If any.”

Mayfield considered embellishing the truth, but stuck to it. “A small exploratory committee with modest funds, mostly personal and from donors from my previous campaigns for State’s Attorney- small business owners, local political groups, and one or two major personal donors. My manager is the man who ran my last two campaigns as well. My staff, as you can see, are mostly carryovers.”

“So of course, as you mentioned previously, you haven’t formally announced. Fine enough. And I don’t hate what you’ve got cobbled together so far. I’ll tell you what,” MacFarland began to stand up, and walked towards the door, but stopped to hover his hand over Mayfield’s shoulder. “I have to go back to Springfield. I’m going to be generous. Get someone major in state to back you and your campaign; rep, former governor, senator, state legislator-whatever. Do that, and I’ll hook you up with our ‘resources’, kid.”

He then left the room, leaving Mayfield alone to collect her thoughts. She initially thought of hatred, hatred for that chairman and his smug self-satisfaction, his sense of superiority, his power-but these thoughts quickly subsided. The attorney soon gained resolve-she would prove that man wrong, she would prove that she was the strongest candidate who would not only win the primary, but also the general election. Maybe once she won she could have that chair replaced with someone less obnoxious, but that’s beside the point.

A few minutes passed, Mayfield was looking out the window, internally monologuing. The door opened-it was the chair, very shocked at her continued presence. “Why-why are you still here? Whatever-hey can you pass me my suit jacket, it’s on my chair. Toss it, whatever, it’s fine.”

Mayfield did so, and the chair left again. It was time for her to leave as well.

Leaving the building into the hot summer day in Chicago, Mayfield spotted a small franchise sandwich shop. Entering, she enjoyed the blast of air conditioning, and then joined the long line to the front counter. It was here Mayfield began to absorb the enormity of what she was partaking in-not the sandwich ordering mind you, the running for governor bit. Running for higher office, that was to, go her, something she always wished to accomplish in the future, especially as her terms in the state’s attorney office in Lake County meandered on. But the future was now, and Mayfield began to doubt her ability to handle it.

She knew her ambition well, but accomplishing it was proving to be a different beast. The planning, the registering, the meetings, the fundraising-all on a magnitude greater than what she was used to in Lake County. Mayfield has grown complacent-used to the usual humdrum that she partook in every four years since 2004 always planning to do something else in the future, but never at the moment. Mayfield understood this. And her temper had cooled since the meeting, and the chair’s words began to sink in. Maybe this was to be a failed quixotic effort. She wouldn’t be able to appeal in the center and south, dooming the Democrats. Maybe she wasn’t the strongest candidate. But then the resolve and confidence that had came to her following the meeting also returned.

Mayfield was the strongest candidate. She knew it. And she would show all doubters such. Her record was impeccable. She was a strong progressive in office, that office being a law enforcement position. She had won re-election every year since 2004. And once she got her name out there, she was going to win, no doubt.

It was also time to order.
Last edited by Uttland on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden for President(The Pragmatic Choice!)

”Cease, cows, life is short.”
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Western Canon by Harold Bloom
Current Bop: "12 Steps" by Japanese Breakfast
Politicial Views: Moderate free market and social liberal with some select conservative and social democratic leanings/views. Anti-populist. Aspirational wonk. 8values and Political Compass results + more detailed politics/views
Favorite Books: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Haruki Murakami, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Eric's face remained impassive as he listened to Anderson's answer, possibly a touch disconcerting, given the sincere emotion in that response. He seemed to wait an additional few moments to consider, which, as they began to stretch to an awkward length, he interrupted.

"Were there any other questions that you had in mind?"
Male.
Political Views: Classically Liberal Paleoconservative Neoliberal Libertarian Conservative
"We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Francais, appuyer le numero deux."

Recognized By the Community Miscellaneous Role Play: Washington Political RP (OP)

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Prolieum wrote:

Eric's face remained impassive as he listened to Anderson's answer, possibly a touch disconcerting, given the sincere emotion in that response. He seemed to wait an additional few moments to consider, which, as they began to stretch to an awkward length, he interrupted.

"Were there any other questions that you had in mind?"

"I have a somewhat more personal question, regarding the role of my child. I have been told by people I respect that having her front and center in the campaign emphasizes i'm a family guy... which I am sure... but she's a kid, she wouldn't understand what i'm asking her to do and all the potential consequences of being in the limelight. Morally i'm struggling with doing even simple things like having her attend one of my rallies, I don't want to exploit my child. How did you handle running for statewide office while raising kids? What is the appropriate role they should play?"

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Eric dug through his memory as best he could, recalling that the Representative had mentioned her age in passing earlier, calling them the most difficult years. A teenager? No, almost a teenager. That sounded right.

"I think you're asking me a parenting question more than you're asking me a political one," he observed. "Which means my advice might sound a little wishy-washy. Every kid is different, even if that sounds like a cop-out. For myself, I don't think I understood politics or really started caring about them until college. But, I also think that at eleven, twelve, your children should start making their first adult choices. Not all of them, but that's about when you need to start easing them in. I don't know everything about raising kids, but if you do want advice, I'll give it. Your daughter might not know enough about politics now to know what her beliefs are going to be. Maybe she'll grow up to be a Democrat, maybe she'll grow up more conservative than you. But, no matter what she grows up as, she's still going to be your daughter, you'll still be her father, and as long as having her with you in the campaign means that you're actually having her with you, I won't tell you that it's wrong."
Male.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:41 pm

Prolieum wrote:

Eric dug through his memory as best he could, recalling that the Representative had mentioned her age in passing earlier, calling them the most difficult years. A teenager? No, almost a teenager. That sounded right.

"I think you're asking me a parenting question more than you're asking me a political one," he observed. "Which means my advice might sound a little wishy-washy. Every kid is different, even if that sounds like a cop-out. For myself, I don't think I understood politics or really started caring about them until college. But, I also think that at eleven, twelve, your children should start making their first adult choices. Not all of them, but that's about when you need to start easing them in. I don't know everything about raising kids, but if you do want advice, I'll give it. Your daughter might not know enough about politics now to know what her beliefs are going to be. Maybe she'll grow up to be a Democrat, maybe she'll grow up more conservative than you. But, no matter what she grows up as, she's still going to be your daughter, you'll still be her father, and as long as having her with you in the campaign means that you're actually having her with you, I won't tell you that it's wrong."

Anderson look appreciative but conflicted "It was a parenting question, trying to balance being a dad and being a leader... it's not easy for me. You've been doing it a lot longer than I have... My father never much cared for what I did, my brother was always going to take over the family business... I was a bit aimless until I met Gootlatch. Point being I want to be a better father than mine, that's more important to me than winning the race."

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:33 am

"When I ask this, I do mean it when I say that any answer won't have any effect on any "verdict" of mine politically," Eric prefaced. "This isn't a trick question where I really expect you to answer a certain way, or give me an unlimited scope to range with."

He stopped. "Nevermind. That's not really appropriate for this sort of thing, forget I mentioned it."

"I'm a believer that children should pick their own direction, and that you teach them the right way to travel on the route they pick," he stated. "Everything in moderation, of course. You shouldn't let your daughter pick to be a prostitute. But as long as what you're doing taking her along is about teaching her the right way to go instead of trying to choose what direction she should go for her, it's good parenting."
Male.

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 am

Developing Story
In a surprising bit of news for followers of politics and sports, it was announced today that Florida Governor Esperanza Huerta is purchasing the Miami Marlins in a one billion dollar transaction. The team has been on the market for some time but the buyer is a surprise in the usually quiet summer months after the state legislature is out of session, though there had been rumors of the involvement of a political figure. Huerta is the head of Huerta Cruise, a business which she inherited from her parents following their deaths and grew into a multibillion dollar organization eventually expanding into operations in shipbuilding and biofuels while Huerta became a noted business and philanthropic figure. The company notably has lost money each year after Huerta was elected Governor in 2014 following the elimination of tax loopholes and worker protection reforms passed during her first term. Whether the buy is business related, political, or both is not yet known as the story develops. Governor Huerta was not available for comment.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:25 am

Prolieum wrote:

"When I ask this, I do mean it when I say that any answer won't have any effect on any "verdict" of mine politically," Eric prefaced. "This isn't a trick question where I really expect you to answer a certain way, or give me an unlimited scope to range with."

He stopped. "Nevermind. That's not really appropriate for this sort of thing, forget I mentioned it."

"I'm a believer that children should pick their own direction, and that you teach them the right way to travel on the route they pick," he stated. "Everything in moderation, of course. You shouldn't let your daughter pick to be a prostitute. But as long as what you're doing taking her along is about teaching her the right way to go instead of trying to choose what direction she should go for her, it's good parenting."

"Apparently she wants to be a dentist" Anderson said with a chuckle "I've never heard of a 12 year old wanting to be a dentist before," Anderson took a moments pause and then continued "Thank you, I appreciate it."

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 am

TNS SPECIAL REPORT
Every vote counts? New revelations call California tallying into question
Most commentators and Americans figured that the 2016 election was over long before November 8th as the crumbling of the Democratic nominee and polls showing a commanding lead for candidate Calvin Reed meant that a strong majority of Americans polled predicted a Reed win in late October even among voters who did not support him. Most of election night was spent watching how red the map would turn and whether Danders would be able to win any state at all. One of the most surprising outcomes was in California, where Danders barely made a mark but Calvin Reed still beat out Ellen Walton in a plurality victory. Now the results in that race are being called into question as a few complaints about voting problems on election day have turned into a growing wave of controversy from more and more news about irregularities and outright failures in the tallying.

A report now alleges that the electronic systems California used were "undeniably and cripplingly flawed" as ballots submitted by Premier AccuVote and Sequoia Optech and the MTS v 1.3.1 system may have been compromised. Both the Premier and Sequoia systems have come under heavy fire in the past for alleged security vulnerabilities include a temporary suspension of use in California that was later revoked and instances where a simulated vote change went undetected by the machines. Both systems saw wide use in California counties in the election, covering millions of voters.

The report alleges that the tallying was "pure chaos....some votes were multiplied, some were switched to other candidates, and in some cases already numbered counts seemed to change entirely." Vote totals in many counties were very different from projected polls in what was dismissed as poor prediction in an unreliable election but now raises further questions.

While not highlighted in the report, allegations of issues with the MTS voting system in Los Angeles, which is an older system that was partially grandfathered in through a different path than new systems, state that the machines misscanned certain ballots and that hand counts were not performed when they should have been to confirm the totals, an accusation that goes beyond technical problems into either incompetent or unlawful behavior among election judges at an unknown level.

One election judge TNS came into contact with, who spoke on condition of anonymity described the situation as a "clusterf***". "The thing about it is that we have no idea what ways any of these changes were going or how big they got. This could've been making the state go red instead of green, this could have been making the state go green instead of blue, we don't know if turnout is real or not or anything about how this happened."

Possible causes are many and with little current evidence many could spark heated debate. The changing tallies are not inconsistent with a series of physical interactions to meddle with the machines, including changing memory cards, our source reported, but system breakdowns are also possible. That the issues happened across the systems of multiple companies makes it "harder to believe that it could have been intentional and covered both....but also makes it harder to believe that they went down at the same time."

No amount of changed votes could have altered the outcome of the Presidential election which would have ended, which would have been a Republican victory with or without California, but the state held a closer than expected Senate race that saw Progressive Reginaldo Alphonsey defeat Republican John Fox by a small enough margin that errors or changes could have made a difference and shifts in a handful of Congressional races could have made minor changes to the state's House delegation.

The complaints in Los Angeles County are different from the system complaints. A voting expert told TNS that "Those machines are different from the newer ones in some of the other counties. It wouldn't be something that had the same kind of weaknesses that the other systems showed, but a reading error skipping over certain votes would be very believable." Allegations in Los Angeles also have more reports of broken machines and directly accuse some election judges of failing to perform required tasks to ensure the validity of the ballots. The county went strongly for both Walton and Alphonsey, but may have been won by artificial margins, or undercounted the votes for the Progressive candidates.

No similar complaints have yet emerged in other states but it is not the first time that California's elections have been accused of being less than fair. In a four way race for the two Senate spots in the state's runoff primaries both Libertarian, now Liberty Party candidate Anita Flores and Democratic Representative Donald Johnson who were the two major losing candidates, accused the vote of being "rigged".

As more news trickles out California is faced with being front and center in a question about the security of elections as a state with the most electoral votes and Congressional seats in the country that could become a three way battleground between the Republican, Democratic and Progressive parties. Governor Ray Ramirez and the Secretary of State were both unavailable for comment at press time, but as always TNS will be on the front lines with any and all updates for this developing story. Stay tuned.

CopyrightTNS

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:42 am

Jason Samara
@JSam8

This report from California is incredibly troubling, we must have faith in our institutions to function in our society. I will immediately be meeting with the Governor of Massachusetts and security experts about the voting systems in our state and then will be writing legislation to help secure our voting systems across the country. #Free&Fair

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:41 am

Alphonsey’s Twitter

Reginaldo Alphonsey
@RACalifornia

“I call on Governor Ramirez to appoint an independent, non-partisan commission to investigate this matter. We must ensure that the previous election was fair and democratic. If it was not, a special election may be in order. I will also begin to draft legislation ensuring all of our elections remain as democratic as possible, namely including automatic voter registration and a cap on campaign spending.”
Last edited by Sanabel on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:19 am

Anita Flores
@TruthRevolution
Oh, so NOW the big media is coming around to admit what we knew all along, the system is corrupt, the people in power are rigging it, and it's about d*mn time that we do something about it!

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:22 am

Jared O'Leary
@OYeah

Inflated vote numbers in California is just the latest proof of corruption down to the core of the "Progressive" party. We should have been suspicious from the start.

Jared O'Leary
@OYeah

@RACalifornia should resign. If he really did have majority support then he can prove that in a free and fair special election. #Freeandfair

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse