NATION

PASSWORD

Washington 2017: The U.S. Political RP IC-Volume II (OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:45 pm

National Air and Space Museum, Washington D.C.

"Those conditions wait on your signature if I heard you right," Appleby noted.

"We'll have to see if I come back for it."
Male.
Political Views: Classically Liberal Paleoconservative Neoliberal Libertarian Conservative
"We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Francais, appuyer le numero deux."

WWFD (What Would Fraser Do?)
Community Choice Award for Nation Role Play: The War Cry of Uncle Sam (OP)
Recognized By the Community Miscellaneous Role Play: Washington Political RP (OP)
Recognized By the Community for Exemplary Talent in Nation Role Play: Prolieum

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Prolieum wrote:
Amaras Residence, Keokuk, Iowa

"1942? You look younger than that," Amaras observed. A pointless compliment, if a true statement, but a fair enough way to open up his response, in his opinion.

"How did you make it to America?"

Sydney smiled at the complement. "A lady has to keep her appearance, you know."

Turning to the question itself, her smile disappeared. "There was a coup in which Diệm was overthrown, and the new regime did not take kindly to my father's work for the old government. To this day, I am still unsure how he managed to get us out of the country. Joseph always claimed he had help from a friend in the Central Intelligence Office -that was the South Vietnamese intelligence agency- but I think it was more likely that he reached out as many Western embassies as he could, hoping to find some place that would give us refuge. In any case, we did not immediately come to the United States- we ended up in Hong Kong first. The British embassy gave my father the impression that we would be allowed to settle down- if he worked with British intelligence. He never got the chance to reply- because he was stripped of his rank and thrown into prison soon after. We were stuck in limbo, unsure if we would be granted asylum or not but allowed to stay while the decision was being made. Two years passed by, during which my brother and I learned English and came to work at the library that was then at City Hall. While we did not receive asylum, my father was able to reach out to the American embassy so that we could be granted asylum in the States. That's how we ended up in Santa Ana."

By this time, her tone had become noticeably quieter- but all the more proud. "My mother was the strongest woman I will ever know. When our father was away, she saw to it that the house was kept clean and we were fed and cared for. When we came to Hong Kong, we were penniless- we had left everything behind in Saigon. She got a job at an industrial estate to keep us afloat: it was dangerous work, with long hours and low pay- but she never complained. She just kept on going....."

At this point, Sydney's voice was a bit shaky and she had to take a deep breath. "In Santa Ana, she worked nights at Rickenbacker's to help us pay for community college. She sacrificed so much for us- and so did my father. He fought for his country even when his country betrayed him, even when he was away from us. I only found out later in life what he had to go through while we were starting our new lives, separated from him.... anyways, that was my life before I entered the political sphere."

She steadied herself before ending with a question. "As I am sure you now realize, my politics are shaped by my experience, Senator- now that you know what that experience is, do you want me to tell you of my time in public service?"

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:49 pm

Of Michiganites and Museums

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
Washington
District of Columbia

Stafford recalled her words, realizing he was right.

"We will have to wait and see. Never be scared to seek me out...or not if you need to."
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Amaras appeared interested by the story, though whether the interest was genuine or feigned could not be discerned. He nodded at the question.

"Keep on going."
Male.
Political Views: Classically Liberal Paleoconservative Neoliberal Libertarian Conservative
"We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Francais, appuyer le numero deux."

Recognized By the Community Miscellaneous Role Play: Washington Political RP (OP)

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Washington
District of Columbia

Josephine blinked twice, rubbing them next. Her mind was surely failing but she could have sworn...

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Tommy Amaras, visiting the museum with his mother after he and his brothers were taking a day to visit their father at work, but having separated from them, nodded again at the pair of strangers that he was eavesdropping on.

"Keep going, this is interesting!"
Last edited by Prolieum on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male.

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Peter Amaras, meanwhile, resting in his recliner, appeared interested by Cao's story, and nodded at her question.

"By all means, continue."
Male.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Washington
District of Columbia

Her eyes widened.

"This is why everybody in the whole damn world is scared of each other....they sneak!"

She began to sift through her purse, looking for candy, money, or the pepperspray, whichever she could find first.

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Appleby simply returned his attention to the exhibit rather than the child, but Tommy's eyes turned to him.

"Is that real gold?"

"Yes."

"Can I have it?"

"No."
Male.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Washington
District of Columbia

Josephine continued to look for the items in her purse, before looking up dazed.

"I....nevermind."

She ventured further into the exhibit, aimlessly.

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Appleby followed, and Tommy frowned, but did not pursue. "Aw, man."

"Kids are dumb," Appleby commented on catching up to the former Senator after a few strides. "Wish I could have them."
Last edited by Prolieum on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:16 pm

Washington
District of Columbia

"Why can you not have them?"

She smiled, regaining her composure and trying to push away the moments that had just grasped her.

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Appleby visibly frowned, not a dramatic facial expression, but amplified substantially by its rareness, breaking from the flat expression his face had held for nearly the entire conversion.

"Can't."
Male.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Washington
District of Columbia

"Well, I am sorry."

She returned a neutral expression.

"I hope you return and contact me again. We should do another museum perhaps. Less child-friendly perhaps."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Dentali wrote:“What’s your healthcare plan?”

Taylor Cox
Lincoln Club, Orange County
Los Angeles, California
July 1st, 2017

"My best healthcare plan is to make sure that is, at least, some form of medical help for everyone. From what I hear, dialysis clinics are the main topic of a proposition coming up. The best way to make sure we have healthcare is to make sure we don't cause any restrictions to both public and private healthcare. The best form of duty is making sure everyone can have healthcare that is available at any time." Cox stated.

“That’s more rhetoric than anything? Specifically what is your plan?”

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm

"Or we could break in after dark," Appleby suggested, voice perfectly level.
Male.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Clearwater Rally, Portsmouth, Virginia

The next stop for the Clearwater campaign was right next door to Arlen's home turf, in the largely African American city of Portsmouth. The person headlining the rally was former Leader Josephine Stafford of Virginia. She had helped the campaign to finance television commercials. Her name brought in a lot of buzz and press for the event, and it attracted a massive audience, especially of African American voters. After the campaign spent the day touring Portsmouth, visiting shipyards, small businesses, and neighborhoods, the rally began, as news cameras rolled.

Clearwater came on stage first, waving to the buzzing audience as he was dressed in Chino pants and his well-worn denim jacket. His goal was to address local policies and liven up the crowd a bit before Stafford's endorsement.

"Portsmouth! It's great to be here with you folks, let's make some noise for this great city and for the great Commonwealth of Virginia!!"

The audience cheered.

"Now, some of y'all may know that I'm from just around the corner in Suffolk. I grew up sailin' up and down the coast of this town. That's why a big part of my campaign is has been dedicated to ending oil drilling in the Chesapeake. The health of our kids, our great industries, and our environment depend upon us keeping our water clean and clear. I want to bring the environmental rating of the Chesapeake up to an 'A' level by the time my first term is through, by ending drilling and fostering community clean up campaigns.

As a veteran, I know what it's like to see war and come back to the loving arms of friends and family. I also know what it's like to come back to financial hardships. That's why I also want to help communities like Portsmouth and their large veteran populations by seeking to end veteran homelessness in Virginia. It won't happen overnight and it won't be easy, but this is a policy I think everybody in Richmond can get behind. By creating tax credits and new housing developments built especially for veterans at a low cost, we can serve those who gave their all for us here at home."

There was cheering.

"I've promised to increase our investment into alternative energy, and I'll make that promise again. I'd like to see our tax credits and subsidies for alternative energy increase. If it does, cities like Portsmouth, Norfolk, Virginia Beach will be opened up to the new industries of solar power and wind energy, moreso than ever before. Combined with investment into community and vocational colleges, that means new jobs for your kids and your community. That means a stronger Virginia, and a stronger United States that's less dependant upon the likes of Saudi Arabia to light our bulbs and heat our homes."

There was cheering.

"But folks, I've probably gone on too long, I can get long winded, thanks to my ma," he laughed. "We have, as you know, a very special guest tonight. A lady who represented the great state of Michigan in the Senate, and became that body's first African American leader from either party. Give a hand for Josephine Stafford everybody!"

Josephine took the stage, adjusting the microphone and standing behind the podium. Her elderly hands clutched the sides of the stand, as she cleared her throat to her side before returning to face the audience.

“Good afternoon Portsmouth, I am delighted to be among all of you and even more delighted to be here with the purpose of standing alongside Mr. Moses Clearwater. He is a man of true character, a man of values which is made an even more important trait with the drought of authenticity occurring around us. A drought which continues to fail to quench the thirst of our communities across this state, a thirst for a greater tomorrow filled with more opportunity and more jobs, a thirst defined by the greater social mobility that is yearned for, a thirst that seeks a comprehensive approach to our minority communities. Others would have you believe that all we seek to advance is plainly criminal justice, but them I say no. A resounding NO!”

She looked upward before returning her gaze towards the crowd.

“We are a people not defined solely by one issue, but rather by all the factors which affect our lives, something Mo Clearwater understands. He knows that this state should not pick and choose the reforms it needs, that instead it can lead a bold vision to spark reform across the entirety of its needs. An optimistic resolve that is desperately needed in state leadership, to bring forth changes across the board. His platform is a constant reminder of those goals. His career from the prestigious Air Force Academy to serving dutifully in Congress, from being a brilliant writer to now this campaign, it has all prepared him to lead this state and to not be defeated by the forces which seek to extinguish the light of his vision for broad reform, across all aisles.”

Her voice has risen, resulting in a much-needed breath before she began to speak again.

“To gift Medicare for All to this state and cover all those who struggle to seek healthcare is a prime example of his vision. It is a bold policy that stands by the belief that all deserve the right to healthcare, that one’s desperate financial situation should not be the reason one fails to seek essential medical care. That the choice between paying the bills and putting food on the table or taking one’s children to the doctor is an inhumane choice and one that we should all reject as the norm. Our communities across this state struggle with poverty and making ends meet, and healthcare should not be another burden for them to carry. It is not a burden that should be carried when this state is equipped to provide reprieve, and Mr. Clearwater intends to utilize them just as such, a righteous decision.”

She nodded at Clearwater and went on.

“He does not stop there though, continuing his remarkable vision to institute fairer taxes for the working class across this state. The need for the rich and the 1% to be taxed at a greater rate is not an austerity measure, it is a fairer measure that balances the scales that for too long have sought to dry up the pockets of our middle class. The average Virginian should not be crippled with taxation and Mr. Clearwater will ensure that that reality does not persist a minute longer. It is this state’s poorest that suffer the most from taxes like the sales tax, one that will be similarly cut under the vast scope of his reforming vision. It is about ensuring that our tax system does not favor the wealthy, but rather it is just to the productive and working class that support this state’s industries and businesses.”

Her hands adjust the microphone, before returning to the podium side.

“Yet Mr. Clearwater recognizes that while these reforms will help all of the working class and all of the peoples of this Commonwealth, there remains unfair systems that we must correct. Helping Virgina heal from racial strife by defeating the symbolism that Confederate statues and their imagery advance is a key step. It is a step in recognizing the history of this country but their removal also offers an opportunity to recognize that times are changing and Mr. Clearwater shall ensure that. LGBT communities similarly are being threatened, with the advances made by the courts and activists at risk of caving in due to a some wrongful thinking. But with his reforms at the helm, it will plainly be wishful thinking.”

She prepared to finish.

“Our authenticity as a state that stands by values and civil rights, a state that remains steadfast in its belief in fairness, must be maintained. We cannot allow for this to be changed by the forces of radicalism and dark, secret influencers. Mr. Clearwater is cemented in his belief that change and reform is necessary, a vision that will reach across the aisle to help advance the strongest and fairest laws across all facets of policy. Virginia will be a pioneer in change and shall help provide a strong contrast to the one-sided governing occuring in nearby Washington D.C. I am proud to endorse Mr. Moses Clearwater for govern and honored to share the vision he holds for this amazing Commonwealth, for he will help end the drought of authenticity with his plentiful aquifer of bold ideas and effective dealmaking.”

The audience roared after Stafford finished. She and Cleatwater then shook hands, and exited the stage as Patriotic music played.
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Washington
District of Columbia

"Let's."

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:35 pm

"Think you can run if we're spotted?" he inquired.
Male.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Washington
District of Columbia

"I think you could carry me."

She thought for a moment.

"I have a black jumpsuit. I suppose I could buy one for you to as well."

She looked him over.

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:42 pm

"Dark blue. Black stands out to the eye, it blends into the background better."

"I can bring shoe polish for my face. You shouldn't have a problem."

He assessed her suggestion, and then broke a social taboo.

"How much do you weigh?"
Male.

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Fredrick Williams
@MSGov
The Civil War was never about slavery, both blacks and whites fought to save their small farms from the big federal government who did not have their interests in mind. The federal government served the interests of the Northern elite!

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Washington
District of Columbia

“Dark blue it is.”

She wanted to say black face but decide to give it a pass.

“A mask perhaps? And around 140.”

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:08 pm

"Very well. Santa Ana College was my first introduction to America, and my first experience with higher education. If I had stayed in Hong Kong, I would have studied law and become a solicitor- but my experience at the City Library led me to shift my interest from law to policy."

She smiled at the memory. "A benefit of working at a library is you get to know where all the interesting books are. I read a great deal of political thought, philosophy, economics- I supplemented my own education in this fashion. I started reading a series called the Gateway to the Great Books -meant to introduce readers to the Western canon- and afterwards I moved on to the full series... what was it called?-" She strained to remember for a moment. "Great Books of the Western World, I believe. Overall, my time in Hong Kong served as an introduction to the work of government, at least at the local level. This interest stayed with me as I studied at Santa Ana College- Santa Ana being the county seat, the county government was located nearby. When I transferred to USC, I studied public policy- and through this became an intern with the Orange County Board of Supervisors. While there, I helped to prepare a report on mass transit- that was one of the major issues of my first campaign. I ran for my seat on the Board in 1976, when the Supervisor for my district stepped down. I suppose I was what one would call a Rockefeller Republican: in my case, that meant focusing on balanced budgets, suburban development, conservation, and public infrastructure. Civil rights was a peripheral issue- my primary opponent was in opposition, while I was in support."

She took another drink of water before continuing. "The campaign itself was very heated- my opponent called me a Communist sympathizer, and claimed I was leading some fifth column of the Vietcong- ridiculous stuff, really- but some people believe anything they hear. But I tuned out his lies, and ended up winning the election."

There was a hint of pride in her voice. "A state or federal legislator has to deal with the most contentious issues of the time- but just as quickly as I entered office, I was pushed out. There was a strike by the transit workers- they wanted all sorts of things that the county just could not afford. Four years- that was the extent of my time in local government. I had no interest in trying again in some desperate attempt to get back onto the political ladder, so I left Santa Ana- and moved out to Claremont, where I worked at the Rose Institute. I did not run for public office again until 1994. When I returned to Santa Ana, I found a crime-ridden city with strained public services- and much of the decline stemming from unchecked illegal immigration. I ran for the State Senate on a similar platform as before, except now I also highlighted my support for Proposition 187. Marlowe being Governor meant that I could not be proactive in promoting traditional values, but I stood up for them all the same: I voted against every pro-abortion and pro-homosexual bill he pushed. You can check the legislative records- my votes can be found there."

Pausing to take a breath and gather her thoughts, she took in the silence but for a moment. "In 1996, I led the fight to pass Proposition 212- despite the Governor's opposition, the measure passed. But even that victory was not enough to keep me from losing again at the next election- the media and the political class and the professional activists all aligned against me..."

Her voice trailed off before picking up again. "That's everything for you. My political career was spent upholding public order, public morality, and the public good- and if I am elected now, I will do so again."
Last edited by Bruke on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:24 pm

"Could also use a mask. I'll use both."

Appleby looked Stafford up and down.

"I can do one-forty if you can grab right. There will be jostling."
Male.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse