NATION

PASSWORD

Washington 2017: The U.S. Political RP [CLOSED] OOC Pt. XI

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 pm

My new post of Waterfield shows her true colours.
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
Tallahassee News Station wrote:
Senator of New York City

Ahahahaha

You know what I meant you silly boomer!

No immediate polls, mostly because I actually did the results for NY when it was ending at the original date and polls would have to be basically be recursively calced through them, which would give a few too many hints about turnout and other factors

I'll put some fresh polls out when we start getting closer, specially if Marli keeps up the activity edge she's getting together
Proud Co-OP of the 2016 Washington Political RP

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Puertollano wrote:My new post of Waterfield shows her true colours.

so crazy expensive progressive programs but even less taxes to pay for them?
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Very interesting from Water

I like it

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm

If Joh did that he would have locked the doors and then pulled out his chainsaw

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Tallahassee News Station wrote:If Joh did that he would have locked the doors and then pulled out his chainsaw

A Red Wedding

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Tallahassee News Station wrote:
Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:Ahahahaha

You know what I meant you silly boomer!

No immediate polls, mostly because I actually did the results for NY when it was ending at the original date and polls would have to be basically be recursively calced through them, which would give a few too many hints about turnout and other factors

I'll put some fresh polls out when we start getting closer, specially if Marli keeps up the activity edge she's getting together

Okay, I understand.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Puertollano wrote:My new post of Waterfield shows her true colours.

If Thatcher finds out, it will surely be an interesting conversation.

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Thought we was doing more private location Xathy

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Tallahassee News Station wrote:Thought we was doing more private location Xathy

Oh yeah.

Okay, let me edit it.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Still, really not much air between Arthur Arlen and Clearwater
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Tallahassee News Station wrote:Thought we was doing more private location Xathy

Fixed.

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Looks like Klobuchar is in.
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:51 pm

he's so tall

and handsome as hell

he's so bad

but he does it so well
Democratic Nominee 2024

Former Republican. Liberal Internationalist. Pick your battles.

Is the Hamburglar an insurrectionary anarchist? One who martyrs himself through the propaganda of the deed?

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Vaquas wrote:
(Image)

(Image)

he's so tall

(Image)

and handsome as hell

(Image)

he's so bad

(Image)

but he does it so well

I appreciate this,
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Anderson laid it on thicc

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Really wish I could type faster

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Say you'll remember me

Standing in a nice dress

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Trying to figure out Cox's excuse on how he should do healthcare...
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:11 pm

His hands are in my hair

His clothes are in my room

Evereq
Secretary

Founded: Jan 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Evereq » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Final time hopefully.

Character Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Evereq
Character Name: Loma Aquene
Character Gender: Female
Character Age: 38
Character Role: Representative from Minnesota's 5th District
Appearance:

Character State of Origin: Minnesota
Character Affiliation: Progressive
Main Strengths:
Fresh-faced candidate
Grassroots Progressive
Strong with women and minorities, Native American herself
Main Weaknesses:
Democratic district
Lacks major funds
Newcomer to Congress
Can be difficult to be convinced, acts very independently
Can be idealistic
Background has limited her policy knowledge
Short Bio:

Born on a reservation, Loma grew up isolated from the outside world in the beginning. The living conditions on the reservation were hardly adequate so upon entering her teen years, she decided to go away for better opportunities. Her parents did not want her to leave but she did anyway, finding a job with other relatives who had left in Minneapolis. They had a small general store that she worked in while she went to community college for criminal justice. She decided to become a police officer following her graduation and passed the test easily.

By this age, nearly 26, she decided to marry. Her husband, Raymond Hunt, proposed and they moved together, though she maintained her maiden name to not lose her heritage from her tribe. She also became involved in early activism with some Green and liberal Democratic candidates, the beginnings of her political socialization. She began minorly controversial for a leaked videotape during a racial incidence in the Minneapolis PD where it showed her criticizing the handling of the issue by the department. It became a media swirl before being forgotten after the incident was resolved with the discharge of one officer.

When motivated by the Progressives, she decided to run for Congress in 2016. The incumbent had been a moderate and had survived a major primary challenge from the left. This left him damaged and vulnerable. Loma ran a grassroots campaign to help usurp him. Her effective use of news coverage and interviews allowed her to gain name recognition quickly. The Progressive wave also helped her leading to her victory over the incumbent in a close election. Her opponent requested a recount, though nonetheless, she won. She has been in Congress voting along the Progressive line and has been fairly aloof from leadership, both stemming from her dislike of the hierarchical party structure and the persona or what she considers a cult of personality, Ellen Walton.

Other Info: Born on the White Earth Indian Reservation
Last edited by Evereq on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Always a joy to sing with the sexiest man alive

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Democrat with history of making controversial statements on Israel goes one step too far and gets their party to glom on them for antisemitism

The RP to RL turnaround time is getting quicker

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm

When Bernie Sanders runs as the 2020 Green Party candidate and creates a 3 way split...

Nor Portland
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nor Portland » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Just made a new character application. I dont want to clutter the characters further but I feel as though that I will later on get a bit bored of Milone, given how early the campaign is so there isnt much to do, so Carla will help me stay more active! Plus I wanna get back into participating in Congress so :p

Character Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Nor ('New' in Armenian btw) Portland
Character Name: Carla Huesman
Character Gender: Female
Character Age: 49
Character Height: 5"4
Character Weight: 135
Character Position/Role/Job: US Representative for Maryland's 8th Congressional district
Appearance: Image
Character State of Origin: Missouri
Character State of Residence: Maryland
Character Party Affiliation: Democratic Party
Main Strengths: Has national popularity, personable, clean record (aside from drug use in her early years), known activist
Main Weaknesses: Irritable, often takes vacations/ hiatuses, idealistic (often lacks specifics in plans), takes donations from trade unions, lacks bipartisanship
Biography:
Carla Summer Rutherford was born in 1968 in St. Louis, Missouri. As a byproduct of the Summer of Love to an unmarried couple, she grew up in an unhappy household. Her father and mother, both college graduates, worked to provide for the little Carla but could not fully for much of her early life. They were away from home, often time leaving her unattended for hours, quite often to pay for all bills and food. This combined with her parents often bickering, Carla grew up very lonely and angry. It was only until she turned the age of 9 that her father found a good job as a submarine engineer for military contractors (something his degree worked towards). This new job required an abrupt move across the country to Virginia Beach. With the promises of a new life ahead, the family's outlook on the future became brighter. Such did not fully occur. Due to his new rigorous job, Carla's father was away from home for even longer shifts, oftentimes taking week-long trips to Washington state, leaving her mother alone and anguished. During her teen years, Carla grew a love for music, using it as a means to escape the world she lived in. Enchanted by groups such as the Who, the Grateful Dead, and The Supremes, she worked as a newspaper girl at age 12, devoting all the money she made towards buying a used acoustic guitar. Guitar became her hobby. In middle school when her parents fought, she would sneak out of her house with her guitar and play it out in the streets, the park, or jam with a friend of her's who played the drums. She was often reprimanded by her overstressed mother for being rebellious, inattentive and lacking discipline. Carla's grades were poor as she had no motivation for education. Only music held her heart.

When Carla was 16 years old in her junior year of high school, her mother, under the influence of both alcohol and LSD, committed suicide by jumping out of their apartment's window. Carla's father's job security was at risk despite being on a 3-month work trip in Connecticut. Her father could not leave Connecticut without further risking his job which would potentially leave Carla alone for another 2 weeks. With no family to turn to, she packed up her things and ran away to Washington DC. Wrecked with depression, no money, no friends and no happy future in sight, Carla turned to drugs to hide the pain. These times proved to be the most trying in her life. At age 17 she was found in a DC ghetto park lying on the ground in shock from a heroine overdose. She was resuscitated through CPR by a man and brought immediately to the ER. In rehabilitation for a week, her father was notified of her whereabouts (also billed the hospital fees) and picked her up. Carla blamed her father for her mother's death and resented him greatly. Under the promise that he would not leave her alone for weeks on end, she reluctantly agreed to remain with him in Virginia. Almost immediately was this promise broken after he was called on a 4-week trip to Alabama. The night he left, she returned to Washington DC to meet the man who saved her. Named Brock Huesman, a 23 year old DC native, the two soon discovered their mutual interest in music. They both could play guitar (Carla accustomed to acoustic, Brock, electric) and could sing moderately well. The two began to date and rented an apartment with eachother (when she was 18). They both worked low-end part-time jobs to support eachother. To supplement their income, the two started their own musical duo on the streets of DC. They called themselves "Father, Father" (named after the first original song they wrote) and gained prominence among other street performers for their unique take on rhythm and lyrical choice. Blending blues rock with hardcore, many future bands within the indie genre cite them as inspirations. They later would gain 3 more band members: A bassist, a drummer and a keyboard player. Carla and Brock jointly were the lead singers, their female and male voices complimenting eachother (like Skillet IRL). While already popular in DC and urban Maryland, their third album "Very Bad Good Thing" released 1991 in is what brought them nationwide success. Their single "Pummel" was #1 for a three weeks in Billboard's US Rock category. While in Father, Father, the influence of their drummer, a homosexual, as well as touring around poor urban areas had a huge influence on Carla's beliefs. As a person already mad at the system who she believes betrayed her (lack of drug rehabilitation support + welfare for their family and herself), she became highly political. Initially Father Father's lyrics focused around daily life, the struggles Carla and Brock faced growing up, and general-counter culture themes. All the while focusing much more on the new wave and electronic rock genres, their changed with their fourth album which became heavily political. Father, Father, subsequently centered around Carla, inspired many peoples by bringing up issues which many never spoke on, such as police brutality and the rising income disparity. The magazine "Tumbling Boulder" noted Father, Father as "'Rage Against the Game' if it were experimental and hippie."

In 2005 their drummer, one of the most vocal musicians for LGBT rights, died of leukemia. Following his death, Father, Father disbanded since replacing their drummer would be "An affront to his personhood". After a grief hiatus for a year, many fans and supporters of Carla urged her to run for some political office in the upcoming election cycle. Angered by policies of the Fern (Bush?) administration, specifically his war in Iraq, deregulation policies and opposition to LGBT rights, she was inspired to run for Congress for Maryland's 8th district in the 2006 election. Despite being a prominent political musician, her knowledge on the actual political process did not exceed Wikipedia articles. She ran on the Democratic ticket and faced the Democratic incumbent, an already-liked man. This shocked the nation and political pundits as it defied most political norms, but also that she was running in the first place. In a fierce primary campaign, her incumbent opponent praised her activism and admitted that he was a fan of Father, Father but challenged her inexperience. Carla, on the other hand, focused entirely on a rhetorical campaign centered around her motto, "In the People we Trust" (a song name from their fifth album). With record-breaking numbers of participants in the Democratic primary, she beat the incumbent with 74% of the vote. Utilizing the same campaign tactics, she would beat her Republican opponent with 82% of the vote.

She quickly gained allies in the House, her colleagues seeing her as a potential way to boost their own popularity as well as someone moldable in their beliefs given her inexperience. While latching on to many progressive politicians, asking them to be her mentor, she would prove to be stubborn in regards to changing her views. Often on the House floor she would lash out against Republican and moderate Democrat colleagues for being too "weak" against corporate interests. Her morale and stubbornness would however prove to making her a persuader. She became known for being the unofficial whip of the more progressive members of Congress, all the while becoming their figurehead. During the Occupy Wall Street protests, she and her now-husband Brock Huesman held a free musical rally, alongside other progressive musicians, to ferment the protestors discontent against big corporations and banks. In the 2016 presidential election she supported Governor Kuznetsov. She become a vocal opponent of Governor Danders for his mishandling of affairs. After Kuznetsov, Carla refused to endorse anyone. Following the foundation of the Progressive Party by Ellen Walton, she held a "mandatory" meeting with all progressive members of Congress, urging them to remain with the party in order to not divide the left-wing vote. Her attempts her not fully futile as some progressive members remained with the Democrats. She continues to try and work with both the DNC and Progressive Leadership, hoping that the two parties will reconcile and reunite as a "Democratic-Progressive Party".

Other Info: The following are major bills she authored/ co-sponsored which passed:

- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
- Higher Education Affordability Act (2010)
- An Act to Redesign Rehabilitation Care (2012)
- Health Consumer Protection Act (2015)

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Nor Portland

Do Not Remove: 84721
Reincarnation of The Portland Territory

PRO: Democratic Confederalism, Libertarian Socialism, Christian Democracy, Christian Mysticism, Armenia-Artsakh
AGAINST: Capitalism, Liberalism, Fascism/ Authoritarianism, Legislated Morality, Gun Control, Israel

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse