NATION

PASSWORD

Vim: Tales from Lumina (Fantasy/Arcanepunk/IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:57 pm

While Iris was busy standing guard the orc that was also one of the guards snorted in boredom as he lean against the wall and reached into his pocket with his prosthetic hand and taking out a flask. The orc twisted the lid and began to down the Thersmillian ale. The orc let out a sigh of content after drinking the beverage. Atzmuk looked around at the crowd to see anyone who looked odd. From the orcs experience it pays to keep a close eyes on the odd ones, he learned that lesson the hard as he heard the clanking noise of the clockwork and levers moving as he moved his mechanical fingers.

Atzmuk saw the tall and lithe form of the elf who was with the group, she too leaning against the wall. The woman's violet eyes watched the crowd like a feline staring at a rodent that was unfortunate to be it's latest meal. the bitch gave the orc the creeps. The orc swears she was some sort of assassin sent by someone to act as a guard just so she can get close to kill someone. So long as their employer wasn't the target the orc could care less of the elf killed someone.

From the other room Merialeth saw the orc gave her a glare, she return it back in turn. The elf knew that she made the orc and ogre uncomfortable, she can't truly blame them considering the history of their kind. It's hard to erase years of animosity of prosecution and discrimination. the elves hunted the greenskins for sport and they in turn raided their villages and massacred their people. No doubt they thought she was eyeing them as a potential target. They weren't worth the trouble really. She kept her eyes on for anything suspicious.

The elf looked at Iris. The elf said nothing or didn't react much as she looked at the human, instead she would look away to resume her watch. The ogre of the group was sitting on a chair as he was tired of staying around. The two humans, brother in fact, were walking around. Both carried batons with one brother swinging it around as he whistle a tune, getting some odd looks from the party goers. Among those looking at the brothers was the Silvia, the head maid of the house. "Why did Alex hired those two?" she shook her head. She would have sought after two more guards who were more professional but her mistress felt assured that they were the right men for the job. She didn't wish to fight against her mistress so she let the matter slide, now she wish she did put some resistance.

The maid looked away from the two. By her side was Alex's daughter, wearing a maroon dress. Elizabeth still held on to her stuff white rabbit toy and just like it was when Ichuri met her down in the lobby she looked around in the crowd with anxiousness, holding on to her toy as she used it as a shield. "Aww, that is Ashwood's daughter? She is adorable." a woman said as a small crowd was forming around the two. Elizabeth held tightly on her toy as more people gave her compliments, embarrassing the young girl who wanted to get away from the crowd who was forming around her.

Seeing that the crowd was distressing her charge Silvia made a fake cough. "Excuse us, but it's time for diner for the little mistress. So I kindly ask if you can let us through." the maid asked in a calm manner. The elites did not budge. "I said can you kindly let us pass." she said in a threatening manner as she gave the group a heated glare. That seem to work as the crowd were intimated and allowed the two to walk through. Elizabeth held on to Silvia's dress as she followed her out of the crowd.

"Thank you Silvia." the girl thanked as she felt slightly better on getting away from the crowd. The maid gave her a small smile. "It was no problem Elizabeth." she look back at the crowd and saw Iris. "I will need to see someone for a moment you won't mind seeing them?" the girl thought on it and shook her head no. "Thank you. Don't worry she won't cause you any trouble." the maid reassured.

In her watch Iris would see a black hair and red eye woman wearing a maid uniform walking towards her with a young girl who had pale skin, green eyes, and black hair. Looking at her Iris would know that the little girl was Elizabeth Ashwood, the daughter of her employer. Which made it obvious that the maid was the head maid who acted as the girl's guardian whenever her mother was busy.

When the maid reach the mercenary she would give her a bow. "Good evening Ms. Amcotts. I take it that you found nothing uneventful with the party." she would ask as Elizabeth hid behind the maid, peeking out from behind to look at Iris. "I must admit, I was expecting you to arrive with your father and step-mother. My mistress wish to speak with them about something." the maid explained. "But you coming with a child was something I was the last thing I thought I would see you with after reading your files." the maid look down at Timothy. "Who is the boy?" the maid asked. If the two of them would perceptive enough they might pick up the sound of clockwork turning through the music and talking. Elizabeth on the other hand felt a strange aura coming from Iris. The girl was curious on what sort of magic the woman had and wonder if she was going to meet many people with strange magic like the albino made from back in the lobby?
Naval Monte- The Mediterranean crossroads of mind-controlling conspiracies, twisted dimensions, inhuman depravity, questionable science, unholy commerce, heretical faiths, absurd politics, and cutting-edge art.

Make wonderful memories here, in Naval Monte.

True Refuge
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby True Refuge » Wed May 01, 2019 3:18 am

Everton Tallow
Lumina
Late Morning, After the Meeting

By now, the morning rush of Lumina's workforce had subsided. It'd been but an hour or two, but the crowds filling the square and the city were nowhere to be seen. In their place, Lumina's usual midday riffraff tracked Everton with sharp eyes. From the shadows or the quiet restaurants settling into their lunchtime routine, the glares didn't stop. He didn't belong there, they'd think, with his fine suit and the biting daggers worthy of a nobleman he sent back at the greediest. A man of his appearance should be in an office or have an overworked assistant trailing behind him. The lack of the living ornaments typical of the Luminian entrepreneur said enough for the want-adorned in the alleyways to leave him unchallenged.

The results of the meeting kept Everton's mind off them. To think that instead of planning—or at least studying Ashwood's home—all the others were spending the hours before the evening seeking out their outfits! And why? Infiltration required blandness, enough so that your conversation partners forgot your name and face when they waltzed off to the next foodstuff of interest. Recognition and memorability were enemies, ones that, judging by the air of excitement around the very idea of shopping, the group was intent on ignoring. They’d probably show up in something with all the inconspicuousness of a monarch’s crown jewels. The group needed a strategy too. Now, they'd have but that brief time before the party's opening to make one. Blackstone appeared to lack the tactical intelligence for even the task of choosing the right people for a very, very specific mission. Three medics for a heist! Truly unbelievable. Where were the fighters? Did she expect Jonah—again, a boy!—and his ‘half-decent’ shields to stand up against the mage hardliners on the Consortiums’ payrolls?

As the streets transitioned into his suburb of residence the critique went on. Maybe Blackstone wanted to rush in herself, save the day with her guns firing and knives slashing all in their way—mere fantasy. Never mind her training, infusions, and Elven descent; her frame wouldn’t do her any favours in a fistfight, let alone during combat against Vim-infused guards. It must have been some sort of ridiculous faith in their abilities. That sort of trust had a habit of being misplaced, and Blackstone had likely taken to its comfort, propping up candidates that in all practicality had no place standing by his side and pretending to be his equals.

Soon enough, the walk took him and his worries back to his tenement. The sight of his residence did little to remove the scowl that he had taken on. Next to the glorious decadence he would be exploring throughout the evening, it couldn't even compete. The apartment below his had been vacant for many days past. It remained resolutely so. Some scaffolding drooped on the roof, a sign of a long-forgotten renovation project. The landlord regularly reminded his tenants that it’d be resumed eventually, but of course the funds weren’t there right now. Everton opened the ground floor door. Its screeches of unoiled pains followed him as he stepped inside, fading as he climbed the stairs.

The entrance to his apartment was on the third floor, the highest one. He grasped for the key in his pockets. He looked up, and froze. Several tiny red dots were pulsing from the doorframe. As he slowly came closer, floorboards silent underneath him, the dots took clear shapes. He scanned the runes lining his apartment’s entrance, eyeing the specific arrangement of the activated marks among the multitude of patterns. Someone had entered while he was gone, one said. Another revealed that they had been allowed in, bypassing the runic defences inscribed by Lumina’s best runesmiths with ease. Whether or not that made the uninvited guest less problematic was debateable. A third, the last of the important, non-diagnostic runes blinking in alarm, told that the intruder was still inside. Everton relaxed, but the scowl remained. He unlocked the door, and entered.

The apartment had a very spacious layout, eschewing narrow hallways in favour of seclusion being kept to the bedroom and bathroom. Not a single object within the place had been shifted from this morning’s spot. The openness made it very easy for Everton to see the man sitting in what passed for his living room. They enjoyed the comforts of an armchair, shrouded in shadow from the curtains as he listened to Everton’s radio with left leg crossed over right and his arms resting beside him. He wore a standard lounge suit, coloured by a deep ultramarine that easily defeated the apartment’s drab browns décor and plain carpeting. It was not merely the hems but the entirety of the fine cloth that combined to form an extravagant display of wealth and a razor-sharp eye for fashion. The whole ensemble lacked the vividness of that colour’s cheaply made synthetic variants. Such splendour often widened trained eyes, but for Everton it sparked only recognition. If it weren’t for his reputation and intelligence, this man would have been put together with those empty-headed fools modern society called dandies.

“At ease, Mr Tallow,” the man called, just loud enough for Everton to hear. His voice, softly yet insistently spoken, had a tinge of faux brightness to it—a nobleman’s veneer, though the light mocking in it was genuine. A stroke of good fortune, finally.

“Lapis,” Everton said as he complied. The door swung closed behind him. Clicks from its locks disturbed the silence for a moment. He stopped at the border of the room the Ernsts’ security executive had claimed, with arms folded in front. He left the electric light off.

“Don’t worry, Mr Tallow, I’ll keep this quick,” the Ernst said, still half-listening to the antique before him. A Taurican-language news broadcast blared, going on about the Tsar ad nauseam, as usual. “I know you aren’t fond of this obligation.” The Ernst waved his right hand slightly; knobs on the radio twisted, shushing it.

“The arranged time for my report was this morning.” He’d been ready to give it when Blackstone’s pigeon-familiar had interrupted, without the burden of Blackstone's fear-paralysis and her blindness to her team’s shortcomings.

“I’m aware.” The Ernst finally pulled himself away from the radio’s quietened chatter, gracing Everton with a clearer image of the man’s familiar features. Lapis’ face had a little age to it, something deliberately chosen. No beard nor moustache, unlike most of the fashion-minded nobility. The wrinkles had an air of experience to them, but the vibrancy of early middle-age remained. None of the weakness of sagging skin or greying hair weighed down any of the Ernsts, save the few that had their reputation so masterfully crafted around such qualities. He had unnaturally dark blue eyes too , ones made that way by some sort of Vim-powder solution drop when that came into fashion. Unremarkable brown irises were never going to be kept when the Ernts developed that particular mixture, although he hadn't taken it so far as to alter his short and straight brown hair as well. When he wasn't talking, his eyes constantly flicked from one item of interest to another.

“Your landlord moved the mess on this slum’s roof yesterday," he said. "The debris interfered with my teleportation circle, so we had to have it in our hotel room and take a carriage. Much less discreet to move with any speed or sanitation that way. I did receive Miss Blackstone’s signature though, hand-delivered. Your punctuality was excellent.”

Everton left that without a response. He glanced at his bedroom, searching for signs of tampering. In the ensuing quiet, Lapis followed his attention and let out a quiet laugh.

“I thought we’d moved past that after this many visits. Ruby’s given up on opening those chests of yours.” He looked away in recollection. “The locks outwitted even Amber long ago—”

“She still wants the contents,” Everton said. “That’s never changed.”

The interruption didn’t even phase Lapis—the lack of any change in expression made that clear enough—or that indifferent simper of his. “Perhaps. Your daughter’s warning took the desire right off Ruby’s face at the mansion when I sent Amber to spy on her.” The smile grew a little larger. “I haven’t yet given her my thanks for that enlightening experience.”

“She’s not available.”

Wisely, Lapis looked away from Everton’s glare and moved on. “Where’s the pendant?” he asked.

“In a safe place,” Everton replied. He sped through the retort, almost snapping. “Any more irrelevant questions?”

“Strange. I can’t imagine a safer spot than around your neck.” Again unperturbed, Lapis adjusted his posture, returning to his original position, sans resting his elbows on the armrests with hands together between them. “Now, your report. How is Blackstone dealing with our little spoiler?”

“Poorly,” Everton replied. He took on that flat presentational pacing again. “She’s considerably frightened by my presence. It may interfere with her ability to work.”

“I trust she knows who you are, then.”

“It took her five minutes.”

“Good enough. And how does she wish to approach the problem?”

There it was, that desire to know the little details of others’ plans. Much of the Ernst brood were afflicted with that paranoia. They wanted the minutiae so they could verify the plan, tweak it, and praise it—so they said. Really, they had a great deal of difficulty in believing that anyone outside their family wasn’t incompetent. Such a philosophy wasn’t necessarily misplaced in this case, but their claims of adopting a pragmatic approach had, in the past, drawn labelling of their executives as cynics. Not that the leaders paid any attention to outsiders anyway, not when the criticism lay outside their ever-expanding interests.

“This evening,” Everton said, “we’re to infiltrate Alexandria Ashwood’s party at Ashwood Tower—”

Lapis glanced up at him. “Ashwood’s party?”

“If you’d let me finish,” Everton said.

Lapis gestured invitation.

“She hopes to find evidence of her involvement in the spoiler operation or related crimes, and gather human intelligence throughout.”

The neutrality of Lapis’ expression was unreadable.

“I saw her assemble her team only an hour or so ago,” Everton continued. “She—”

“Describe them,” Lapis said. A small, deliberate movement, an almost invisible leaning forward, accompanied the interjection.

Everton saw it and its meaning. “They’re unsalvageable,” he said gravely.

“Now I’m curious. Go on.”

“The team is myself, Blackstone, a Venusta, a Cadian doctor if she is to believed, another doctor who was absent, and two young adolescents. Those are one Jonah, Baitian by my guess, a medic with some likely unexceptional degree of Phantasm magic, and Sera, colour unclear, with supposedly occult-derived strength and agility enhancements. None of them look powerful or prepared enough for serious combat. I’ve told Blackstone not to discuss sensitive information with any of them. I observed all of them at the meeting, especially the Cadian. She’s an unknown.”

“The obvious choice,” Lapis said. He breathed out, very audibly. “You are the single dedicated combat mage among them?”

“It appears so.”

“If Blackstone told me that herself,” Lapis said in a drawn out sigh, “I’d laugh and then send a Ripper to retrieve her retainer. Thirty-one years and I’ve never seen such a poor show attached to an Ernst project. What in Una’s name made her choose them?”

“Sentiment, by my guess.”

“Naturally,” Lapis scoffed.

“She said that the absentee was involved in a raid of some sort.”

The Ernst turned away, likely sifting through whatever intelligence had crossed his eyes in the last month. “Our contacts recently relayed rumours of a police raid involving Blackstone on a minor criminal operation in Blighttown two days ago, and very little else. I’ll have someone send you the file once the relevant intelligence has been gathered. It won’t be ready by this evening. I could have them come round to discuss the preliminaries with you.”

“No, I’ll go without it for the party. I have other errands.”

“Very well,” Lapis said, looking back at Everton. We’ll have one of us at the party have a look at this Venusta for you. Mark her out.” He gestured at Everton’s face. “How could my agent recognise you in a crowd?

“I’ll be wearing a mask, one of Blackstone’s.”

Lapis raised an eyebrow, a reasonable enough reaction. The party was not be to a masquerade. “They’ll see you. Anything else to report?”

“The group is currently shopping for outfits—” Everton paused. “And the Cadian is likely to be paying.”

Now Lapis twitched, delicate sensibilities of an expert in loyalty and informational security almost imperceptibly inflamed by such sacrilege against his field and even against common sense. “Unacceptable,” he muttered. “When you see Blackstone again,” he said with the tone of a military officer, “pay whatever debt she incurs during that waste of time. One of us will give you a cheque later.”

“No need.”

“I’m glad you understood the direness of this idiocy,” Lapis said, approaching snapping himself now. He smoothed down his suit and went quiet for a moment. After it, he looked over the various chests of drawers and shelves stacked around his room. “Will you be taking anything of yours to the party?”

“My cane and tailored dress suit,” Everton said dismissively. “Offering to fetch them?”

“Of course not.” Lapis stood up in a fluid movement, too fluid for his physical age. “Excellent reporting, Mr Tallow. We’ll be paying very close attention to Blackstone from now on. Enjoy the party.” He stepped past Everton.

“Oh, and Mr Tallow?” Lapis said, halting and half-looking back. “Let’s make my visit to Blackstone a surprise.”

Everton nodded as the Ernst left, leaving the apartment as quiet as the very morning he’d found it empty. He stood between the rooms for a little while. After a long few seconds, the irrational lethargic feelings had drained away, and he set about the next vital tasks. Lapis’ visit meant little on its own; as much as Everton disliked them they were regular occurrences. Those closer questions though, about Ashwood and the team, the need to know the minutiae of some second-rate detective’s schedule… The leadership had already been prepared to scrutinise Blackstone, and he’d given them the excuse. Another unfortunate yet deserved occurrence for her. Perhaps it would provide some much-needed enlightenment.

In his bedroom, his closet appeared untampered with. Everton grasped its lock with his left hand and waved his right over it just so. A light runic glow emanated from the metal as it clicked. Within the little alcove hung his dress suit and its accessories, among other outfits for Lumina’s various other dress codes. He’d worn it fairly recently, at one of the Ernst galas where he watched over the guests who had more intimate relationships with the champagne than their peers. The marcella shirt and waistcoat never lost their starching thanks to a treatment of drycleaner’s vis, and regular dry-cleaning kept the rest of the outfit ever-ready. Of the little finery in the apartment, it was one of very few items he’d kept from the days when he made use of his money, and it showed. The weavings were of the highest class, traditional and Vim types alike. They weren’t well-suited to the identity he was thinking of using tonight, but that was a problem easily dealt with.

He crouched down to a long wooden box tucked away underneath the clothes. Another heavy lock weighed it down as he picked the box up and moved it over onto the bed. He repeated the unlocking process, and flipped open the top. The container revealed a padded interior cushioning a slightly thin ebony cane. Despite its heavy modifications, there was little doubt it had its place in timeless fashion. Everton laid his fingers on it gingerly. When skin touched wood, a spark of magical force ran between them, rushing through his fingertips and up his arm. He stopped there, wallowing in the connection, feeling the vast energies and weight of past battles within.

He decided to leave its top as it was. The party presented no need to change the ornate shape of the amethyst crow’s head left from the cane’s last use; it would impress enough of the vapid crowd to make his persona believable yet it lacked the excess of the myriad precious stones with which the socialites would be adorning themselves. Perfect for both standard galas and unwanted surprises.

If Blackstone managed to fail at this most basic of undertakings, between the suit and the cane he’d certainly be prepared. Now there was the matter of passing the several hours until the party’s commencement. He grasped his cane tightly, which accommodated his hand so perfectly it put other noblemen’s walking sticks to shame. Slowly, he trudged over to the stairs to the roof, cane thudding against the wooden floors with every step, to clean up yet another person’s mess.
Last edited by True Refuge on Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
COMMUNIST
"If we have food, he will eat. If we have air, he will breathe. If we have fuel, he will fly." - Becky Chambers, Record of a Spaceborn Few
"One does not need to be surprised then, when 26 years later the outrageous slogan is repeated, which we Marxists burned all bridges with: to “pick up” the banner of the bourgeoisie. - International Communist Party, Dialogue with Stalin.

ML, anarchism, co-operativism (known incorrectly as "Market Socialism"), Proudhonism, radical liberalism, utopianism, social democracy, national capitalism, Maoism, etc. are not communist tendencies. Read a book already.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alaroma » Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 am

Iris Amcotts

It was a relief that Timothy used his judgement, and stayed out of the crowds. As it turned out, he had spent some time inspecting the other Security. His gaze might have lingered on the Orc and the Elf for longer than the others, but overall he wasn't sure what to make of the gathering. People in what can at times be considered preppy attire to Timothy, as he personally made time to see any interesting characters within the party. He didn't exactly know anyone, so he was understandably skeptical from getting involved. Especially considering so many of them were adults many times his age, and perhaps his own status in society. Eventually he ended up lingering near Iris, which was just fine for her.

As it turns out, he was rather bored. He debated in his mind bringing his concerns to his sister, but on the other hand she was on Guard. He was rather perturbed, and wished that his parents were here. He could probably stick with them. Of course his sister was great, but she could only give so much attention right now.

For her part, Iris was focused on the crowd, while giving attention to her Employer, making sure to keep track of her. Though there was other things she had noticed. For one it seemed there was an odd dynamic between the Elf and the Orc, as the Orc was seemingly uncomfortable. Which was perhaps in paradox considering she could have swore he just took an alcoholic drink not to much earlier. Shifting back to the Elf, she caught her staring at her. She eventually turned her attention back to the crowd, causing a sigh from Iris as she did the same.

At that point, she noticed an interesting little scene unfold. She noticed a little girl, also apparently of Alban descent, standing next to a maid. She held onto a stuffed rabbit, a luxury Iris never received when she was 8, as she watched a crowd form around her. The child was obviously not enjoying the attention, causing the Maid to intervene. Before she saw what happened next, Iris felt a slight tug on her sleeve. Looking to her left, there stood Timothy. He had a look of boredom, boarding on displeasure. “This is boring.” He whispered to her. She sighed, whispering back “I'm sorry Timothy, but I had to take you along. You might have had to come anyway depending if Dad and Rose decided to tag along with me.”

He gave her another look of discontent, before she whispered “I'm sorry Timothy. There isn't much I can do.” Her eyes veered right. It appears as if the Maid had gotten the little girl out of the crowd………..annnd they were looking at Iris now. 'Crap, is she upset I'm talking to Timothy?’ Iris wondered to herself. She noticed the maid say something to the little girl, before she walked over to Iris with the child. Timothy's eyes switched between looking at the maid, and the girl his age. Paying more attention to the girl, it became apparent that was the daughter of his employer. Now, she wasn't sure Timothy realized it. He probably didn't.

The maid walked over to her, little Miss Ashwood in tow, before addressing Iris. “Good evening Ms. Amcotts. I take it that you found nothing uneventful with the party. I must admit, I was expecting you to arrive with your father and step-mother. My mistress wish to speak with them about something. But you coming with a child was something I was the last thing I thought I would see you with after reading your files. Who is the boy?” Now of all the things she thought she was going to ask, she didn't expect that. She instinctively found her hand landing on Timothy's shoulder, which caused him to look at Iris for a moment. She however kept her eyes on the maid.

“His name is Timothy. He's my little brother. My parents were supposed to come, or at least my father. However they seem to have had an emergency, which they had to address together. So it's just me and him. He's a well mannered boy-” most the time “ so I wouldn't worry about him.” She said. Timothy squirmed a little, due to the unexpected situation. His eyes now went between the maid and his sister. He finally decided to land his emerald eyes on the maid, definitively, wondering her response.
Last edited by Alaroma on Thu May 02, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Thu May 02, 2019 11:57 am

"I see. Than I shouldn't have to worry about him causing too much trouble." the two would hear the sound of glass crashing on the ground along with boisterous laughter which made Silvia look annoyed. "Of course the children weren't my main concern." the maid sighed as she pinched the bridge of her nose, the turning and winding of clockwork getting louder almost in response to the maid's mood. The maid would put down her hand and her neutral expression would return.

"I'll deal with the mess later. But neither I or my mistress have no objection to you bringing your brother, if anything my mistress loves kids" the maid stated. "I know calling for you services for a party isn't a good use for your skills but we felt that we should exercise caution due to the strings of murders that have occurred. Right now the murders are all isolated on Blight Town and are targeting factory workers but we rather not give the culprits of those murders the opportunity to harm someone in the party encase the rumors of them being a luddite or some anti-Vim organization is true." the maid told the woman.

The girl behind the maid looked up at Iris and than back at Timothy. "I... I.." the girl nervously stuttered as she tried to find the right words. "Hello." she manage to utter out, not quite getting out what she wanted to say but deciding those words would work for now. The maid look down to see the girl. "There is no need to be nervous around her Ellie. She is here to make sure you and your mother are safe." the maid told her in a calming voice to reassure the girl.

Elizabeth glance up at the maid before looking at Iris, still looking at the woman with a weary expression. "I'm sorry about her. She is very shy when it comes to strangers and being surrounded by so many is making her very nervous. It was my mistress's idea of allowing kids here because she figure that seeing other children in the party would ease her somewhat" the maid explained while Elizabeth return her gaze at Timothy. "You... You're bored... aren't you." the girl said, shrinking back slightly when attention was back on her. "I feel the same during these parties." she told the red headed boy.

Neither Elizabeth or Timothy were alone in their boredom as Morgaine as she followed her mother to a large table where food was prepared. The half elf was almost drooling as she looked at the gourmet meals presented to her. From perfectly roasted meats, salads arranged almost like a work of art, delectable sweets and more were tempting to all to devour them. For the half elf the temptation was too much. She grabbed a plate and began to take small pieces of the meal present.
Naval Monte- The Mediterranean crossroads of mind-controlling conspiracies, twisted dimensions, inhuman depravity, questionable science, unholy commerce, heretical faiths, absurd politics, and cutting-edge art.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Thu May 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Iris Amcotts

When the maid mentioned the murders, Iris instinctively tensed up slightly, and accidently began gripping Timothy harder than she meant to. He gave her a coy ‘sis, why’ look, to which she relented her grip on noticing. The murders had Daniel on edge, as one of his workers had been murdered as well. This has her father on edge, as not only his workers being effected, but others as well. She nodded at the maid, understanding what she meant. And she wasn’t going to complain either, considering the pay.

Her attention was drawn back to the little girl, who stuttered a little, struggling to finally say “Hello.” ‘I can’t be that scary can I?’ Iris thought to herself, but after some self reflection, overcoat and all, maybe she was. Of course Timothy’s attention was now on the girl, taking his first serious observation of her. “Why hello there, little one.” she said, putting on the warmest smile she could manage, with a little wave. Then the maid then began to comfort her, before explaining that she was simply a shy soul. Understandable, but she couldn’t really relate. She wasn’t as outgoing as her brother, but she couldn’t really afford to be shy. Timothy on the other hand was Mr. Charisma, and while being prudent at times, as she encouraged him to be tonight, he still tended to rub people the right way. The fact he was a handsome boy, who was cleaned up from his more usual rugged looks, into something polished at the admonishment of Rose.

Then finally Elizabeth turned her attention to Timothy, which perhaps was natural. He was the closest to her age in the group. Asking if he was board, he gave a small chuckle. “You could say that, but I honestly don’t know anyone.” he told her, before elaborating. “My mom puts on these types of parties. Well, not exactly like this. I’m sure she’d love to be able to do something like this, but ours tend to be more modest. Being surrounded by adults talking about adult things? Are we supposed to be entertained?” He asked in a half joking manner, before turning his gaze to Iris. “I get forced to them, but Iris doesn’t. It’s my theory it’s bribery of some sort.” poking fun at Iris. She rolled her eyes, replying “Your theory is baseless, and quite frankly this proves you should never be a scientist if those are the theories you come up with.” He shrugged, before looking back at Elizabeth. At this point he had a more genuine look about him was on his face, which almost made his eyes sparkle. “Well, I never really wanted to be a scientist anyway.”
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Menschenfleisch
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menschenfleisch » Thu May 02, 2019 4:49 pm

A, NA, SA KUUUU... A, NA, SA- 'CAUSE I'M HAVIN' A GOOD TIME, HAVIN' A GOOD TIME-

As they'd agreed, Sibyl had told nobody of 'Sera's past, or her actions at the warehouse. Their intention was to subdue their conspicuity, not further enhance it with dirty glares from their own comrades. Ana had little doubt in her mind that Alex was simply going to invite so many disreputable, and often single-mindedly dogmatic leaders in the arcane and scientific fields into her home without some form of security. Or at least, some kind of insurance beyond the orc and the elf. It was suspicious, how light the place was on security. She made it through the front gate just fine, which was a very good thing. Not only was it a better outcome than expected, but it also proved that The Secant's influence wasn't arcane in a way that most could understand. Most mages warded their hangouts against suspicious inhabitants, after all. Though, there was the possibility that her entry set off a silent alarm. That, or the witch had disabled her shields in order to allow all this eclectic congregation to come together.

They were expected to assemble at the top of Alex's penthouse, flanked on all sides by other skyscrapers. This part of town was high-end. Nothing was made with functionality in mind. It was decadent, golden, and burning. Not a single window or brick wasn't bathed in the city's warm light, or the soft glow of reflected moonlight. The guests were few in number, but vast in substance. Fifty, in total. She counted their faces individually, committing each to memory. There was the scarred man with a face of ambrose skin, and an orange eye that seemed to track everything but what his body was turned toward. There was a young woman in clothing that seemed far too masculine for the time, a smart suit with a strange light in the pocket. She had dulled red hair, and a smile fragile as thin twine. Was that blood in the corner of her mouth? She brushed it away too quickly for the girl to tell. There were so many people here, so many icons and legends she'd spent decades in the gutter seeking, thinking of and imagining to be grand auteurs, forging visions from the scraps left to them. Now though, they just seemed like men. Strange, eccentric, and utterly mundane.

God, how she hated this journey. The slow march of novelty's weariness had found her, stripping her little escapade of its excitement. She did enjoy being with such nice people, Sibyl especially, but it was so tiresome having to wear dresses, and wait for something to happen. She was hardly even here to participate, more so just to be a witness to everyone elses' endeavours. She knew better than to wish for a conflict of some sort, but it was frustrating nonetheless to have to play the part of the clueless nothing. While her apparent guide walked through the front door and set about making conversation that was far out of her depth, Ana found a reclusive corner to sit, and ponder upon what this place was.

The room was decorated with the heaviness of a cello concerto, every line and pattern beginning and terminating at regular intervals, never straying from one unified design. The wallpaper was never gaudy, never rich. This was, perhaps, one of the only buildings in this whole district which wasn't built purely to show off the owner's wealth. The usual tacky tapestries and worthless ornaments were entirely absent, replaced by paintings, murals and functional furniture. It was cozy, confining and terrifying. Staring too long at the floorboards made her dizzy, the lacquered wood's grain seemingly leaping out to bite her eyes, and fill the crawlspace of her mind. This was a terrifying place. No party for children, at least.

Then again, she had to admit that Elizabeth just being here sort of alleviated that problem. If Alex had brought her kid out to play, then she obviously wasn't going to try anything stupid. Then again, it might be a bluff. And, for all the theatre that went into such events, the place was surprisingly subdued. No aggressive conversations about politics and war, no arguments filled with thinly veiled threats about business and whatnot, the room was... eerily calm. Was this going to be a thing, now? Always feeling out of place, and wrong, wherever she went? Blighttown was her home. It was difficult to acquire a taste for such foreign environments, but she'd manage. Of course, being a prepubescent child probably helped a great deal when it came to getting away from things.

Ana circled around the side of the room, keeping in mind that the role she played would necessarily keep her from making conversation. That was honestly a boon; if nobody approached her to talk, she wouldn't need to justify her presence. It seemed that around the room, a few of the legitimate guests were challenging each other in conversation to contests for bragging rights. Yes yes, Bradley M. Queens might've started the first proper textile chain in the city, but did you know Janet Tasselrow owns half the waterfront shipping industry? Wow, mm hmm, interesting stuff; please shut up. The girl kept her eyes on Elizabeth, tracking the little girl as she went from place to place, avoiding conversation and hiding behind the maid. Clearly, she hadn't chosen to be here. So why was she? Was it to show off Alex's child? Certainly not; the room was filled with old cooches who couldn't care less. Was she trying to make a statement of authority, by placing someone so vulnerable in front of these titans of intellect and industry? Possibly, but it didn't make sense to use Elizabeth in that way, rather than something more interesting like a machine, or an invention. The out-of-place girl sank into a corner,, putting her hands over her waist and waiting for Sibyl to make the first move.

"Young lady, are you alright? You look a bit... pale." oh. Where had this woman come from? She wore a strange coat, and there was an odd contraption hanging from her pocket. Her eyes were a deep blue, with pearlish sclera. "I'm fine, ma'am. Is there something you need?" the woman knelt down in front of her, gesturing vaguely at her face. "No, I'm just concerned, is all. You haven't got the white plague, right?" so that was what this was about. Ana supposed that she did look rather diseased, what with her aura of fragility. "This is simply how I am, miss. Please, move along." a man in a suit and with a smile of gold approached, tapping his apparent companion on the shoulder. "Take it easy, Claudia. Just enjoy the party, alright?" the woman gave Ana one last glance, before sighing and turning away. "You take care, alright?" "Yes, ma'am."

Fuck. Already, there were two people in the room who knew her uniform, position and face. Well, if this didn't end in disaster then she'd honestly be surprised. For now, though, Ana was content to hang back and simply observe the proceedings. Once Blackstone gave the cue, she'd know what to do. Probably. Maybe. Hopefully?

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Thu May 02, 2019 8:50 pm

Ashwood Tower was lively, but in an elegant manner, as attendees chattered and basked on each others' company. Laughter and the tinkling of glasses floated through the air, along with the scents of perfume, cologne, and rich foods ready to be served. Piano music played, and some people lounged on couches as the smooth atmosphere of the party encompassed them. As Ichiru stepped around the ballroom, however, he could see that not all was merry and well. Some of the chatter was empty, the talk of vapid individuals who simply came for show. The eyes of many were dark and bottomless, as though their greed and their envy of their fellow attendees had no limits. Some of the people simply looked dead inside-they stood next to each other without acknowledging each other, some drinking as much wine as they could pour into their glasses over and over. Ichiru felt he was staring through countless windows, only able to see a peek of what lie beneath the fanciful veneer and atmosphere of the party.

Ichiru was not sure what to make of the incredible wealth and prestige. He had brought only one suit to wear, a violet-colored, slim-fitting suit with a white dress-shirt underneath and a violet tie. He was not usually one to wear suits, either, preferring his traditional Anjinese formal-wear to a modern suit. Yet he decided he needed to blend into the crowd somewhat. After all, he already had the attention of Ashwood and her maid. He did not want anymore attention. As invitees arrived, he took notice of them and their appearances. Women wore flowing, fanciful dresses, glittering jewelry, and some even had strange enhancements and augmentations on their bodies. Symbols of privilege.The men wore dapper-looking suits, not quite as colorful as the outfits of the ladies, but finely-tailored nonetheless. Ichiru turned to look toward them, and many of them had augmentations as well. He had never seen some of these augmentations, and the aura they emitted piqued his interest. Perhaps these machines used that Magic about which he had been told. Vim? he recalled with a frown. He wondered how the machines worked, and how people even got them attached to their own bodies. ...Why would one put themselves through such a procedure?...Ah, but who am I to judge?...They've given away their bodies, and I've given away my soul...many times... he thought.

He did not have much time to think about this random individuals, however, as he needed to find Ashwood. She wished to see him, and he did not know what she looked liked or where she might be at this party. Perhaps she was alone, watching over the party-goers from a distance. Or maybe she was at the party, drinking and carousing with the party-goers. He did not know what sort of person she was. He decided to search for Silva, since he figured she might be able to lead him to her. Of course, with this thought he cringed. His last encounter with the maid was rather unpleasant, and he figured their relationship was not going to get better, given that he was a stranger with unknown intentions. Scanning the ballroom, he moved quietly past people, trying not to push anyone aside as he moved. A couple of people gave him odd looks, but he did not dare acknowledge and return them. Eventually, he found her, and he tapped her shoulder. Aware that he might cause her some alarm, he added, "Hello there. It is me, Ichiru. I do hope I did not scare you by tapping your shoulder. I know that Mrs. Ashwood wished to see me at this party? I do not know where she is, and I was wondering if you could bring me to her? If you are not busy, that is." He hoped that this would be the only time he would have to interact with her, and he hoped that Mrs. Ashwood would be more pleasant to talk to.
Last edited by Luminesa on Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Fri May 03, 2019 10:02 am

The maid saw the young woman tensing up at the mention of the murders. The enchanted eyes of the maid allowing her to pick up the subtle movements on Iris's body, like her gripping her brother's shoulders a bit too tightly. It would seem that they weren't the only ones worry about this. Just like her family they too lost a few workers due to the murders. It was because of these murders that Alex decided to cease all facilities in Blighttown. Well the industrial facilities, the one orphanage she help fund in the district was still operational and thankfully it wasn't attacked.

Silvia's thoughts turn back to Iris as she began to speak to Elizabeth who gave the girl a warm smile and a wave as she greeted her. The maid wasn't too surprised to see that she had some experience with kids as she had a kid brother with her. Elizabeth gave Iris a small smile and waved back, starting to feel a bit more comfortable around her. The young girl would look back to Timothy as he explained that his own mother do parties similar to the one they were in and that he doesn't know anyone here. "I know a few in here. But I don't like them as much, they are boring." she told the boy.

When Tim shared her his "theory" on why his sister was involved in the party he made Elizabeth laugh. Just as Timothy's face became more genuine any hints of nervousness on Elizabeth's face melted away when she began to laugh. The girl stepped away from her maid but still held on to her rabbit tightly, but now she was hiding behind the toy either. "Maybe we can find other kids who are as bored as us and go somewhere else to play? That way we don't have to suffer hearing adults talking about boring stuff while drinking weird stuff that they won't let us drink." Elizabeth suggested, wanting to get away from the party and do something else besides just standing around and doing nothing.

Before the maid can say anything to Elizabeth's plan she felt someone tapping on her shoulder, turning around she found Ichuri behind her. "I remember you and I can bring you to her assuming Ms. Ashwood isn't busy." Silvia told him. The maid began to search for Alex from the crowd but couldn't find the woman. She turn her attention to Iris. "Looks like I will have to leave now. It was nice talking with you." The maid told the mercenary as she gave her a bow.

Meanwhile Alex was talking with a few people until a man walked up to her, introducing himself as Richard. "That's grand, I've been looking for a Dick all day." she teased, making the man laugh along with herself. The man would gently grab Alex's hand and raise it up "It's an honor to meet you madam." he would say before kissing the back of her hand. "I must say, the photos of you do not due true justice to your beauty." Alex felt flattered by the comment. "Thank you, and I like your mustachios ." she told the man.

The two would continue to chat while Sibyl was sitting on a table with her daughter eating their food. As the detective was enjoying her meal she saw Sera. The detective waved at the girl, to get her attention and to come close.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Fri May 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Iris Amcotts

Timothy nodded in agreement to Elizabeth's suggestion, saying “Sounds fun.” He said drawing a little closer, out of Iris's grasp, before saying “Oh, by the way. You might have heard it from my sister, but name is Timothy Amcotts.” he said, introducing himself for himself. “What's yours?” He asked, extending his hand for handshake. As far as Iris was concerned, she suppose she shouldn't be surprised that he made friends with the girl, or at least had an amicable start. Which in all honestly made it one less thing for her to worry about, but with her employers daughter no less. Funny how the biases that matter so much to adults like the ones over species, race, sex, and class. How they just aren't that relevant. 'Stay pure, Timothy.’ Iris thought to herself, as she watched the two interact. It was also refreshing, seeing the girl put at ease. ‘That’s a good quality for him to have’, Iris thought.

She looked to the Maid, thinking she must have thoughts on the matter, before seeing her converse with another stranger. She didn't quite catch what they were talking about, before the maid said “Looks like I will have to leave now. It was nice talking with you." She said, giving a small bow. “I feel the same way, I'll leave you yo it.” She said, watching her and the other man go off. There was something about him, that she couldn't quite place. Weird perhaps, but she couldn't blame him for that. The maid didn't seem all that off put by the fellow, so he was probably just another guest. That was all fine by Iris.

Considering that Timothy was probably going to be handled for now, Iris began paying more attention to the Crowd. Though considering his employers daughter was with him, she also had an excuse to pay even more attention to those two. She then zoned her attention where she last saw Alex, to which she found her with someone else, a man, as he gently raised her hand and kissed it, saying something she couldn't quite hear. The mumblings of the upper class most likely, not that she would know what that sounds like.

The way she saw her treated, with the sort of respect and grace she seemed to Garner and have, impressed upon her. For all it's worth, dhr wasn't sure dressing up was all that worth it. Of course she wasn't always dressed as a mercenary, she dressed like you'd think Alban 19 year olds would dress. Not one for makeup, especially that crap Rose wanted her to use that would lighten her skin, she tended to use a more natural beauty. It was easier that way anyway, considering her line of work. However she never got that kind of attention from men. She always suspected it was due to her skin color, which made those parties Rose threw so damn annoying. Though at the very least, it helped focus her.

For now, it meant focusing on this room. She noted the new people who'd come in, the odd people standing on the corners, and tried to keep tabs. Now of course this was all probably being over cautious, and it would probably come to nothing. As true as that might be, she still had an obligation to fulfil. Besides it would keep her mind busy, and She'd rather not resort to eavesdropping or staring at the other guards too soon. Or, God forbid, starting a conversation with the other guards. Well, whatever happens, Happens. The only thing that couldn't happen is something bad to Mrs Ashwood or her daughter.
-Nuverkikstan

Prusselanden
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusselanden » Fri May 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Party
"I hope we're not intruding..." Jules smiled and took a seat beside Sybil and Morgaine at the table. "But I don't really know what to do at parties. Never have been to a high scale one as a guest in my life."

"And me? I'm just bored." A disgruntled Jonah slipped in between them. He hadn't seen a sign of his family or anyone he knew, and was a bit upset at this. Not that there would be a good chance he'd be meeting them anyways. Perhaps recent events have clouded his judgement. Humans are predisposed creatures.

"So..." Jonah leaned towards Sybil. "Observed anything interesting yet?"

Konrad was pilfering little pieces offood and silverware from time to time. Not that anyone would notice, with his sleight of hand skills. When he didn't pilfer, he took liesure time to flirt with some ladies.
"It is a joke, the belief that humans are superior to our animal brethren. We are slower, weaker, less beautiful and intelligent than our counterparts yet we rule the world. Or do we?"-Prusselanden
Donald Trump want to destroy nature? No worries, we have Theodore Fucking Roosevelt!
Pro-life, Pro-choice: I'm nuetral.
Save our Swamps! Save our Bees!
I care about the environment because I want to let my children see this beautiful planet

True Refuge
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby True Refuge » Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 am

Everton Tallow

Out here, the streets enjoyed the protection of both Vim and aging gas lampposts, guarding over the nighttime party-goers by driving back the shadows with their soft glows. The residents of this district would have it no other way; any shadow left behind surely would attract the eye of a would-be criminal with the residents' purses in mind. While Blighttown suffered and its hardier locals never left home without a weapon by their side, this place, in the center of Lumina's business and wealth, the nobility and entrepreneur class strutted along the finely maintained cobblestone. They flaunted their wealth in jewels, medals, and flowing evening gowns, completely unconcerned about the way they glittered compared to the flat, grey rocks their fine dress shoes clicked against with every step. There'd be some out their hunting this city's version of big game, risking quite a great deal of retribution if caught.

Everton watched the steam carriage go, white-gloved hands resting on his cane in front. He'd rather have walked than make use of one them if it weren't for the distance. They had something off about them, imperfections yet unfixed during their so-far short time in service. Bumps here and there, that sort of disturbance made the travel uncomfortable. They had a long way to go before the aristocrats deigned to use them outside of doing so for show.

Ashwood Tower rose above much of the district in more ways than one. It was built to last, clearly, perhaps to excess in a city that went on mostly without feeling the harshness of the elements. It spoke of that deep-seated desire all these entrepreneurs had, the want of a legacy. Where it was a passing concern or but one life objective of many for the less narcissistic members of the old houses, these businessmen and women seemed obsessed with it. Why else construct such a conspicuous monolith approaching the sturdiness of a mountain?

A gentle whining came from around the corner halfway to the tower, interrupting the street's tense silence. Everton frowned and glanced quickly to the left to its source, glancing left to right until he found two canine eyes staring at him from a patch of darkness that had escaped the light's assault. They moved slightly into the light as the animal behind them stretched its back, never looking away from him throughout. Its species didn't register for a moment, it being so out of place in Lumina's sprawling urbanity. The sight of a black cardboard box covered with a cloth rag and nestled between its large paws made him stop. Without warning, the wolf-creature bounded off into the side street, leaving the box behind.

Everton picked up the box and removed its covering. Inside was a mask, with a ceramic face and bits of cloth sticking out from it every which way in bright whites and gold s as if it were intended for a court jester, adorned with little fake precious and semi-precious stones. Judging by how much she liked her animal-familiars interrupting other people's business, it was Blackstone's. She did like her animal-familiars. The mask had its strings untied and laid out beside it ever so carefully among the silk interior. So that was Blackstone's mask, acquired by some mysterious means. It was large enough to cover almost all of his face when he put it on and tied its strings around the back, but it only barely obstructed his sight. A good enough design.

He reached into his tailcoat's chest pocket and flicked out his pocket watch. The back of it was mirror-like enough that Everton peered at his reflection within it, waiting for the Phantasmal magic to take effect on his appearance. After ten seconds, nothing had happened. He tapped the mask's plastic surface with force, but his fingers encountered only a slight resistance as if poking through soup before scratching his skin, which had gone oddly dry. A strange chill flowed through his body, and he resisted the shivers. An activation as crude as that was probably the magic force nullification Blackstone had mentioned, hiding his aptitude. After the sensation had faded, he glanced at his watch's polished surface again. A different face looked impassively back, without the mask adorning it. Everton's mouth curled a little, and the façade followed suit. Whoever had crafted this disguise had a pathetic eye for fashion. Its hair was too long as to hang past the ear like a long-dead fashion, and the facial structure was slightly too long. Yet more imperfections. Oh well. He'd only be wearing it for a short time.

As he strode along the last streets to the party's venue, keeping a long distance to the oblivious social-climber couple with arms entwined in front, he lifted his cane off the ground with one hand holding it by the top. The fingers of his other hand danced along its length, lightly tapping, twisting and tracing away its enhancements with faint emanations of light and energy from each symbol he touched, until the magic within was, in a moment of the last sequence's execution, shrouded in darkness until it became imperceptible. No spams, no feeling of dullness inside from its connection to his own energies. Against the mask it was an example of far, far superior craftsmanship.

At Ashwood Tower, the reception and entrance security waved him up with little thought once they saw his suit. As unfortunate as the mask's illusion was, the rest of his ensemble fit in almost perfectly with the tasteful decor and the ostentatious nature of Ashwood's famous celebrations. A short ride up the elevator later, and he had entered the party. The start had come and gone and the penthouse, spectacularly open and unabashedly modernist, bustled with activity of the entrants as they prepared for the dinner. Being only fashionably late, of course, most of the security gave the next late upperclassman with the particularly nice tailoring in a long line of others little heed. A waiter offered a narrow glass of champagne off a silver tray, which Everton accepted. He merged into the crowd of people taking their time to make it over to the long tables and all their standard finery. From his approach to the tables he spotted the boy Jonah talking to a much taller elvish woman more than several sections away, with another woman with extremely pale skin and hair watching on. Could be Blackstone using some Phantasm magic with considerably less subtlety, and then that one doctor absent from the morning's meeting. Nevertheless, the sounds of the attendees masked the conversation with little difficulty—not that it mattered. On the balance of probabilities, their chosen topic probably had only a step removing it from the vapid nothingness the socialites indulged in by their sides.

And there was Ashwood herself, still chatting away typically while her guests waited on her. Instinctively, he averted his gaze away from her and moved out of sight with the other diners. He found his plot of Ashwood's home ten seats down on the other side of the table and left his cane resting on the chair's side. Most of the seats around him were still yet empty. After a short, polite wait, he started picking obediently at the appetizers and entrées. Perhaps now he'd finally hear the plan, if there was in fact one at all.
Last edited by True Refuge on Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
COMMUNIST
"If we have food, he will eat. If we have air, he will breathe. If we have fuel, he will fly." - Becky Chambers, Record of a Spaceborn Few
"One does not need to be surprised then, when 26 years later the outrageous slogan is repeated, which we Marxists burned all bridges with: to “pick up” the banner of the bourgeoisie. - International Communist Party, Dialogue with Stalin.

ML, anarchism, co-operativism (known incorrectly as "Market Socialism"), Proudhonism, radical liberalism, utopianism, social democracy, national capitalism, Maoism, etc. are not communist tendencies. Read a book already.

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Sat May 04, 2019 10:43 am

Elizabeth looked at the extended hand and follow Timothy's example as she reached out and grabbed his hand. "My name is Elizabeth Ashwood." she said as she gave him a wide smile, all of her previous nervousness had completely vanished. With someone of her age group now willing to join her on wanting to leave the party Elizabeth let go of Tim's hand and turned around, standing on the tips of her toes as she put a hand over her eyes to look around, trying to spot anymore kids who would want to join them. "Before we can play let's see if anyone here wants to join us. I think we should offer them a chance to get away from these boring adults." the young heiress told Tim as she brought herself down.

Timothy and Iris would be realize that despite Elizabeth being in the same age as the red head she seem much smaller than him, probably smaller than average girl of her age as well. While such small stature made her appear much more adorable to most it also made her look more delicate and vulnerable, a feeling further augmented by her previous demure attitude. It was small wonder that Silvia was always present with her and why she feels the need to send another maid to take her place.

Elizabeth spun around to face Timothy, her hands behind her back and look of excitement on her face. "I couldn't find anyone but that's okay, that means we can go on an adventure looking for the others." she grabbed on Timothy's hand and began to lead him through the crowd with a surprising burst of energy that was not present before.

While Elizabeth was enjoying herself with her search for more party members for her little group her mother was still flirting with suitor. "I must say you sure know how to make a woman feel special." the man would smile at the compliment. The woman would feel something odd in the crowd and turning away from her would be suitor she would look for the source, finding Ichuri due to his odd appearance. "I'm sorry but I need to attend to something." she told the man as she excused herself.

The woman walked over to Silvia and once she was in front of the two Ichuri would realize that Alex was the surprisingly small for someone of her status. "Is this the man you told me about Silvia." the maid nodded. "Yes. He is the one that had the invite that was delivered to him by an unknown party." the woman took a long look on Ichuri. "I was told that you were an odd looking fella but your aura is diffidently much stranger than your appearance." she said to him as she cross her arms in front of her chest. "So your magic is based on light manipulation? I would love to know how that works sense what Silvia and Ellie told me yours works on a different manner to the light bending normally associated to phantasm. But right now I'm more curious on knowing more about you. Mainly because I want to know who on Numnia invited you into my party and whether I should be concern." the hostess stated.

Back with Sibyl the half elf put a piece of pork in her mouth when Jules spoke to her. Chewing and than swallowing the piece of meat the half elf would say. "You're not, we are just eating dinner is all." she told Jules as she looked over both of them. "You look beautiful in that dress Jules and Jonah you look handsome. You're just like a little gentleman." she complimented. When asked if she found anything interesting she would reply back. "I found the hostess. So far she is distracted with her guests."

With her enhanced hearing she manage to overhear some of the words Alex said with some of her guests... she wish she can unhear some of the words she heard from the woman. "I'm just glad I covered Morgaine's ears before she can hear them." the half elf thought. Reminding herself why she was here the woman would reach into her pockets and take out five rat's tails and ten fly wings. She look around to make sure no one was looking before she recited a chant, throwing the tails and wings under the table once they were done. Underneath the tables a flow of Vim energy would gather at the tails, fleshy mounds slowly growing. The same was happening to the wings as armor was growing from the base

"I would have some of my familiars scout out for the group and have them lead them back. The others would spy around the building to find Alex's office. I would also have them spy on the woman to not only catch anything she would say but monitor her. If worse comes to worse I can have them be used as a distraction." she told the two. Sibyl was prepared for this evening. Not only did she pick the familiars she wanted for the party but had the spells she might need for their mission premade and prepared, she even picked the right equipment for the job.

"Right now I suggest you two relax before we regroup with the others. How about you join us to dinner? Our host is paying for the food and drinks after all. Why not enjoy ourselves?" she told the two. Whether Jules and Jonah agree to the half elf's offer the two would still be watched by the elf who was acting as a guard. The orc would have saw both Elizabeth and Timothy briefly within the crowd as the young girl seem to be looking for something and was dragging the red head boy around. He decided to move away from his spot to try and follow the two so they won't get into any trouble.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 04, 2019 11:38 am

Ichiru stood next to Silvia until he heard a strange voice speak behind him. He turned to look behind him, and found himself face-to-face with Alex Ashwood. He looked down toward her, more surprised that she was so small compared to many of the model-esque denizens of the party. He knew who she was before she introduced herself, however, as he noticed the way she carried herself among the party-members. She had an air of ease that many of those around her tried to fake in order to get through the party, an air of confidence that followed her around and perfumed the whole room. She did not wear a glittering, elaborate dress, but she wore plenty of jewels, enough that he could see them sparkle in the darkness. Her eyes seemed to have the same kind of sparkle, though their glitter was more from Magic and less from manufactured gems. She was a Mage of some sort, and a much stronger one than her little daughter, whom he had just seen zip through the crowd.

But what sort of Magic would she use...Probably nothing that I would recognize...Everything seems so unusual in this new world... he thought pensively. Given her status in the city, she probably used a kind of Magic that was bizarre even for the world in which she lived. She began to speak to him, and he answered her attentively. "Yes, my name is Ichiru Hashimoto, I come from Anjin to your city of Lumina. I do use Light Magic, as Ms. Silvia previously mentioned to you. It...I suppose it is not the kind of Magic you usually see. But I would be pleased to demonstrate for you, just...perhaps not in such a crowded setting." He could not imagine what sort of chaos would occur if he used his abilities in a crowded party. And he knew that he would get thrown out of the tower, if not the city itself, if he managed to cause such pandemonium in the home of someone so affluent as Ashwood.

However, she was not simply interested in pleasantries. She wanted to know why he was here, presumably after seeing the invitation Silvia had brought to her attention. He sighed. "I wish I had a sufficient answer for you, Ms. Ashwood...but I do not. I do not know who invited me. I only knew to come here, based on the invitation I received. I...tried to translate it into any languages I could read, but...that was not a success. The invitation I received was not in any human language that I could find. I imagine it was sent by someone who recognizes Magical languages, however...or secret codes. After all, it was a historical practice for geniuses to encrypt their works so that no 'unenlightened' individuals could read them. Perhaps this is a similar case. No matter what, I have not come to cause you harm. I do, however, have questions about your city...and the Magic that is used in this place..."

He paused, trying to think of a polite way to address his burning questions. "...When...I was growing-up, Magic was quite different. And you might ask, I suppose, 'How can that be? You are not much older than me I would presume.' Yes, well, not all is as it seems, I believe I can mention that much. Anyhow...Magic as I know it is more...organic. I learned Magic by studying the spiritual world...I have no augmentations or...parts...which help me to control Magic. When I came here, I could sense the Magic which pervaded this city, and...it felt more...artificial than the Magic that I have come to know...I spent some time, after meeting with Ms. Silvia and your lovely daughter, to explore the city. While I shopped for a suit, of course," he explained, with a chuckle. Shopping had been quite an odd experience for him, as he was used to dressing quite plainly and wearing only certain colors-white and grey. Trying-on a violet suit in a dressing room had felt unfamiliar, and almost uncomfortable. Nevertheless, he had decided to play the part of a party-goer, and so now he had to continue wearing the mask of an affluent invitee. Before he asked his main question, he took another pause, and then continued. "I must ask then...How exactly have you developed the Magic which this city uses?...From where have you drawn this Magic?...Does it have any connection to the spirits, or is it...manufactured? If I may dare ask."
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sat May 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Iris Amcotts

Revealing her name to Timothy, Elizabeth seemed to be in a more natural mood. The petite girl seemed more calmed by the presence of Timothy, and the fact they planned to get away from the adults, and all their talk, perhaps came as a relief to her as well. Timothy was keen on doing something other than waiting around for the party to be over so this struck him as rather ideal. When she stood on her tippy toes to begin looking around, she could hardly be described as taller than Timothy as she began looking around the room. He too began looking around the room, wondering if he'd find anyone too. Deciding their current position wasn't ideal, she returned to her normal standing position.

Elizabeth turned around to look at Timothy, looking giddy at this point, saying "I couldn't find anyone but that's okay, that means we can go on an adventure looking for the others." In a more wayward course of action he'd thought possible, the small black haired girl took initiative, taking him by the hand, and beginning to lead him through the room. As he let her lead him along, the redhead began looking around the room as he checked all the people. He soon noticed another girl sitting down with what looked like her mother. Half elfish in look, Timothy decided it was worth talking to her.

Slightly tapping Elizabeth, he tapped her shoulder, before stopping and looking at the half Elfish girl. “I think I found someone.” He said, discreetly pointing to the girl I found. “I think we should go talk to her.” He said, before doing his own leading her over to the girl. Considering Timothy's nature, he was of course the one to introduce himself. “Hi, my name is Timothy.” He said to the Half Elf girl, before saying “and this Elizabeth. We were looking for other kids. Things are a little boring, so we decided to gather some kids and go play away from the main party.” The young redhead, introducing himself said. “Pardon me if I sounded a little out of nowhere. What's your name?” He asked. His tactics might have been forward, but he was genuine.

Meanwhile with Iris, she was watching those two, and noticed he was already going about making perhaps another friend. It was insanely quick if you asked her, but she couldn't blame him. She then noticed the Orc slowly following them, to which she decided to intervene. She rather discreetly came up upon him, before placing a hand his shoulder. “I wouldn't worry about them Mate, they're under my watch.” She said, in reference to Elizabeth and Timothy. “I'll keep them out of trouble.”
-Nuverkikstan

Prusselanden
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Prusselanden » Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 pm

Party
Jules flushed when Sybil complimented her dress and hid her face behind her hair. "Th-thank you Sybil, you look lovely as well...And Morgaine looks just adorable, like a little cupcake."

Jonah took his compliment in a more coolheaded manner. "Thank you Ms. Blackstone. You both look lovely as well." He bowed his head to them. Jonah then listened intently to Sybil explaining her familiars, though Jules had more trouble understanding. When Sybil said there wasn't much going on at the moment and asked the two to join her for dinner, Jules agreed eagerly. "We'd love to join you for dinner. It's been a long time since we've been able to take a break from work." The doctor sighed tiredly.

Jonah looked over at the elf staring at them, getting an uneasy feeling from being watched. He wondered if she was one of those bodyguard maids who could take someone down pretty quickly if needed. If she was, they'd be in trouble if their escape was caught by Alexandra.

And she wasn't the only one watching them. A few other guests had their eyes on the group, too, especially Jules and Jonah. The boy didn't seem to notice them.

"So Morgaine how do you like the party so far?" Jonah smiled at the girl.

Konrad walked over to the table and took a seat next to Sybil and Jules, much to the doctor's chagrin. "Whassup? I'm seeing you ladies look a bit bored here. They've got a bar open, want to have some fun?"

"Drinking will only hinder our capabilities..." Jules frowned and gave him a light, chiding push. "And we have children here. Grow some common sense."

"Kidding, kidding." the vampire grinned. "I know better than to get wasted on the job."
"It is a joke, the belief that humans are superior to our animal brethren. We are slower, weaker, less beautiful and intelligent than our counterparts yet we rule the world. Or do we?"-Prusselanden
Donald Trump want to destroy nature? No worries, we have Theodore Fucking Roosevelt!
I care about the environment because I want to let my children see this beautiful planet

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Sun May 05, 2019 10:50 pm

Venusta

And so it was nearly time for the party. Venusta wasn't particularly thrilled about this job, although she went along with it because of the potential rewards it could reap. Stopping the drug trade in Cadia was her only concern and if this got her closer to that, she was able to put up with it.

But posing is Sibyl's idea of posing as Tallow's wife really necessary? she wondered as she took the cab to Ashwood Tower. Before she left, Venusta wrote a quick note to the Hierophant and made sure it reached the pontiff discreetly. She made sure to tell him about the expenses she incurred, but in this situation, he acted as her subordinate and no pontiff, a Hierophant or not, was going to go against an Inquisitor in her mission.

The young woman did assist Sibyl before the party, as the sales associate noted that the half-elf would need help getting into the dress. It was a tight squeeze, although unlike the last time she helped Sibyl was able to get into the tight-fitting garment.

In any event, Venusta, in her black dress and red heels made her way into the belly of the beast. After the elevator deposited her at the penthouse, she scanned the room to identify her allies while trying not to notice the stares of people looking at the beautiful woman who just arrived. Venusta made note of Ashwood herself. The famous entrepreneur was known the world over. She was, as Venusta understood, quite the social butterfly and it showed. A group of fawning sycophants surrounded her, and Venusta noted she looked like she was eating well.

And I thought Sibyl looked like she was enjoying herself too much, will the dress last the night? she thought as she made her way over to some of her co-conspirators. She as masquerading not only as Tallow's wife but as Sibyl's sister, so she should try to at least act as such.
Last edited by Britanania on Sun May 05, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

True Refuge
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby True Refuge » Tue May 07, 2019 3:33 am

Everton Tallow

Despite the grand rumours of Ashwood's wealth and kitchen staff, the opening delicacies of the party dinner fell a long way short of their promises. That a few people had already finished the entrées while Everton slowly digested small bites of the over-seasoned and rich course bemused him. Even Blackstone and the rest were practically tearing away at their food as if ravenous, Blackstone especially. Ashwoood, immersed in the usual barrage of praise and personal requests, didn't appear to be worried about it all. How typical of someone of her class. Everton watched her for a moment with knife and fork in hand.

Thankfully, a stroke of luck saved him of the obligation to consume their most graceful host's meals. Venusta stood out like a sore thumb in her black dress among all the brilliant, in-mode evening gowns the other fashionable ladies adorned themselves with. When she came into sight, Everton laid his cutlery to rest and stood with cane once more hanging by his left side. In a quick turn away from the table and a few strides he was in Venusta's path, bowing slightly with a glass of untouched champagne in hand.

"Miss Venusta," he said in High Cadian, voice competing with the noise of the dinner close by. It seemed that his voice was mostly unchanged by the mask, although he kept the bright formality he had dropped in his residence. "When you took the others shopping, I was expecting you to spend most of your money on yourself. How generous of you not to do so."
Last edited by True Refuge on Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
COMMUNIST

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Thu May 09, 2019 11:04 am

Alex looked around the crowd, sensing the auras of those who were mages. "I agree. I rather not give the other mages any ideas." she return her sights on Ichiru as a smirk form. "Besides if I get a private demonstration I will have a head start on knowing the secrets of a new form of magic before the others. I will especially have a head start over that damn Romanov." the woman furiously cursed. She muttered something about a petty Taurcian dabbler and how she would make sure to ruin him.

Silvia covered her mouth as she coughed loud enough to get her mistress attention. "Ma'am." realizing what she was doing Alex broke away from her little tangent and return back to her previous demeanor and posture. "Anyways. I can find us a room for you to prefer your magecraft privately and for us to discuss on your invite without having any wondering ears sneaking into our conversation." her gaze turn to a group of Elves who's ears were pointed at the group.

Being spotted the elves began to walk away. When the Anjinese told her that he didn't know why he received the invite and had no idea who could have sent it the mage wasn't too surprise with the news but still felt dejected that there seems to be little clues on helping her besides the letter and the runes written on it. "At least I have some clues to work on. Maybe I should hire a private detective to help with tracking the source?" she heard what Ichiru said on the words being a code of some sort to prevent anyone from reading it and nodded. "That makes sense. Where I'm from the sorcerers, alchemists, and mystics of my home land loved to encrypt their formula and rites with codes or hide the knowledge behind seemingly mundane or gibberish passages. Perfect for keeping the unenlightened from reading something they shouldn't and more importantly keeping rivals from stealing your secrets." she explained as she placed on hand on her hip.

"If you still have the paper I wish to examine it when I could. Maybe I can decypher something from it." Ichiru changed the question to about the magic of the city and how the one in here felt more artificial in nature compare to the organic one he studied. "Wait. Are you saying you study Ephemeral magic before it was discovered?" the stun mage asked, looking at him with wide eyes. Before he can say a word the mage began to giggle with excitement. "I always knew there were mages who practiced that before it was "officially" discovered and right now you are my first evidence to that theory." From the glimmer in her eyes it was clear that the Anjinese just made himself into an interesting subject for her to test and glean information from.

But luckily for Ichuri the glint of mad genius that appeared in her eyes vanished when she blink as she seem to reign herself back in control. "I'm not sure what to say on magic being different from your home land. I mean you could be implying that somehow a trace of Old Magic exists but I would need to go to your home village to see if that is true. But you are right that the magic of this city does not come from the spirit realms. Instead it comes from Vim." she told him as she lift her bracelet. With his senses he can feel that the sapphires on the bracelets had magical energy emitting from them and like everything in the city they did not feel like the magic he was use to.

"The jewels I have for example are different forms of Vims crystallized to act as amulets for spells. Just like how we use Vim as an energy propellant to power our machines the residue energy left behind by Vim creates a sort of field that us mages can use to manipulate the world around us. Allowing us to replicate some of the abilities that old magic was said to produce." she told him as she put down her hand. "I guess you can say the magic is manufacture but Vim is found in natural deposits. As for where Vim comes from I can't tell you, we are still debating on it's exact origins and so far we haven't found any solid evidence that can aid us on giving us a clear answer. But the main theories usually have it being the life blood of the planet or the residue energy of old magic before it faded from the world." she explained to Ichuri.

"I would like for you to stay here after the party. I wish I can see your magic first hand but I don't want to be away from the party for too long." she looked at a few of the guests that were showing signs of quickly becoming intoxicated. "I need to make sure no one tries to burn down my home again and I don't wish to mess out on the fun." The head maid sighed at the drunk guests. "Should I get a maid prepared to clean up any mess left behind." Alex gave her maid an odd look. "Of course. But get a group of cleaners to help the poor dear because I doubt one maid can clean all of this up." Silvia shook her head. "No I mean for your studies after you learn how this man performs your magic and you attempt to copy it only to cause something to explode."

Alex placed both hands, now clenched into fists, on her hips as she glared at the maid. "That happened one time Silvia and that was a year ago!" she furiously shouted as she defended her honor. "Yes. Just like how it happened one time the year before that and one time again the other year before." the maid replied back which only made the woman's glare at her more intently.

The two didn't noticed Elizabeth zipping past them with Timothy as the two were preoccupied with their argument. Elizabeth looked at the various fancy dressed people and ignored most of them, even the ones trying to get her attention or to say some hollow praise to her. The young girl knew that they were only being nice to her because they wanted to use her to get to her mom. The girl felt the tap on her shoulder and turn to face her new friend.

She looked over to the dual and when asked if they should talk to her Elizabeth nodded as she followed the redhead to the dual. Before they arrived at the table both Sibyl and Morgaine smiled at the compliant that Jules gave them, even though Morgaine blushed somewhat. "Thank you." both said at the same time. When Jonah asked the young half elf about the party she gave him tired expression. "Bored. I always wanted to be in a fancy party but now that I'm here it's just a bunch of adults doing boring stuff." she told him which made Sibyl laugh.

As the two joined in Sibyl looked at the direction the two were looking at and saw the elf. "She must be with security. Could she tell that they don't belong here?" the half elf was panicked for a few seconds but calm down seconds later. She reassured herself that the guard would have went to them and told them to leave if that was the case. No doubt she was just keeping an eyes on them like every other guest in the building.

When Konrad sat down next to them and asked for the ladies to join him on the bar Sibyl frown. "Like Jules said, I'm with my daughter and I rather stay sober for my return back home." she replied coldly at him. She was not surprised that people like Konrad would be in the party, she was expecting it really. But she hoped that men like him wouldn't be interested in a small half elf who was a single mother, apparently she was wrong.

the half elf noticed that the man's aura felt off. It felt lively yet not. Before she can think more on it she heard a new voice coming next to her and saw both a redhead boy in a fancy dress and a young girl in a maroon dress that looked almost like a miniature clone of their hostess. As the two introduced themselves the half elf smiled. "My aren't you two adorable. My name is Sibyl." the younger half elf replied with. "You can call me Morgaine." She looked at the two. "I like the color of your hair." she said to Timothy before turning to Elizabeth. "And I like your dress and your rabbit." Elizabeth raised her rabbit slightly up as she said softly "Thank you."

The half elf looked at the young girl. "Wait a minute. You look like that lady who is throwing this party. Are you her daughter?" Elizabeth nodded. "That's so cool. Can you do magic like her or make some cool machine?" Elizabeth nodded. "Yes. My mom taught me some spells whenever she isn't busy or I'm not being taught by my tutor. Sometimes when I'm alone I sometimes try to make up my own spells. Sometimes I make a new spell... Other times I end up creating a mess." she told them, feeling embarrassed at admitting the times she failed.

"Your mom allows you to practice magic by yourself?" The young half elf asked to which Elizabeth shook her head. "No, if anything she hates it when I do. That's why I said I do it when I'm alone and I'm sure no one can see me." Morgaine nodded. "My mom is like that as well. She wouldn't let me practice some types of magic in the house even if she was there with me." Sibyl would let out a sigh at the comment. "That's because the first time you tried to use fire magic in the house you nearly set the kitchen on fire. Until you finally learn how to control that magic I won't allow you to use it in the house. That is why you need to focus on your studies so mommy doesn't need to put so much restrictions on your magic." the younger half elf gave her mother an angry pout which Sibyl found adorable.

The young girl looked at the two before speaking. "Me and Timothy are thinking of going to my room to play and we are looking for other kids who want to join us. You don't mind if your daughter joins us?" Sibyl was surprised to hear that. "And your parents aren't going to be worry about you two not being close by." Elizabeth would tell her that their families were aware of where they will be. "Can I go with them mom? I don't really have much to do in here and I rather not sit here listening to adults talking about boring stuff." Morgaine pleaded.

Having her daughter and the two other kids looking at her as though they were pleading for her to say yes made the half elf sighed. "Just tell me where your room is and she can go with you two." the news made Morgaine excited as Elizabeth gave Sibyl directions through the apartment. "I see. Thank you for your help Elizabeth." Sibyl told her. The half elf was feeling fortunate that the young girl provided her a good layout on the rest of the house even though she felt somewhat bad on using the information to spy and possibly steal from her mother.

As the detective talked with the kids the orc had his sight on them but before he can get any closer he was stopped by Iris. When the young woman told him that she was keeping an eye on them he huffed. "You know if something happens to the girl it would be on our heads right? I just want to keep my head where it is. But I'll let you take the reigns of that mission. Maybe the boss won't have all of our heads if you screw up." the orc said as he chuckled darkly at his words. Smirking at Iris for taking both the easiest mission, yet one where failure of the slightest was not an option as far as Alex was concern.

As he looked at the half elf he let out another chuckle. "So that is what the boss could have looked like if she was a half elf." yet as he looked at the woman his smirk went away. "Say, does that woman look familiar to you? I feel like I've seen her somewhere before?" the orc was trying to recall where he had seen Sibyl before, his mind drawing up fuzzy images where he saw her with other people before.
Last edited by Naval Monte on Thu May 09, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu May 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Naval Monte wrote:Alex looked around the crowd, sensing the auras of those who were mages. "I agree. I rather not give the other mages any ideas." she return her sights on Ichiru as a smirk form. "Besides if I get a private demonstration I will have a head start on knowing the secrets of a new form of magic before the others. I will especially have a head start over that damn Romanov." the woman furiously cursed. She muttered something about a petty Taurcian dabbler and how she would make sure to ruin him.

Silvia covered her mouth as she coughed loud enough to get her mistress attention. "Ma'am." realizing what she was doing Alex broke away from her little tangent and return back to her previous demeanor and posture. "Anyways. I can find us a room for you to prefer your magecraft privately and for us to discuss on your invite without having any wondering ears sneaking into our conversation." her gaze turn to a group of Elves who's ears were pointed at the group.

Being spotted the elves began to walk away. When the Anjinese told her that he didn't know why he received the invite and had no idea who could have sent it the mage wasn't too surprise with the news but still felt dejected that there seems to be little clues on helping her besides the letter and the runes written on it. "At least I have some clues to work on. Maybe I should hire a private detective to help with tracking the source?" she heard what Ichiru said on the words being a code of some sort to prevent anyone from reading it and nodded. "That makes sense. Where I'm from the sorcerers, alchemists, and mystics of my home land loved to encrypt their formula and rites with codes or hide the knowledge behind seemingly mundane or gibberish passages. Perfect for keeping the unenlightened from reading something they shouldn't and more importantly keeping rivals from stealing your secrets." she explained as she placed on hand on her hip.

"If you still have the paper I wish to examine it when I could. Maybe I can decypher something from it." Ichiru changed the question to about the magic of the city and how the one in here felt more artificial in nature compare to the organic one he studied. "Wait. Are you saying you study Ephemeral magic before it was discovered?" the stun mage asked, looking at him with wide eyes. Before he can say a word the mage began to giggle with excitement. "I always knew there were mages who practiced that before it was "officially" discovered and right now you are my first evidence to that theory." From the glimmer in her eyes it was clear that the Anjinese just made himself into an interesting subject for her to test and glean information from.

But luckily for Ichuri the glint of mad genius that appeared in her eyes vanished when she blink as she seem to reign herself back in control. "I'm not sure what to say on magic being different from your home land. I mean you could be implying that somehow a trace of Old Magic exists but I would need to go to your home village to see if that is true. But you are right that the magic of this city does not come from the spirit realms. Instead it comes from Vim." she told him as she lift her bracelet. With his senses he can feel that the sapphires on the bracelets had magical energy emitting from them and like everything in the city they did not feel like the magic he was use to.

"The jewels I have for example are different forms of Vims crystallized to act as amulets for spells. Just like how we use Vim as an energy propellant to power our machines the residue energy left behind by Vim creates a sort of field that us mages can use to manipulate the world around us. Allowing us to replicate some of the abilities that old magic was said to produce." she told him as she put down her hand. "I guess you can say the magic is manufacture but Vim is found in natural deposits. As for where Vim comes from I can't tell you, we are still debating on it's exact origins and so far we haven't found any solid evidence that can aid us on giving us a clear answer. But the main theories usually have it being the life blood of the planet or the residue energy of old magic before it faded from the world." she explained to Ichuri.

"I would like for you to stay here after the party. I wish I can see your magic first hand but I don't want to be away from the party for too long." she looked at a few of the guests that were showing signs of quickly becoming intoxicated. "I need to make sure no one tries to burn down my home again and I don't wish to mess out on the fun." The head maid sighed at the drunk guests. "Should I get a maid prepared to clean up any mess left behind." Alex gave her maid an odd look. "Of course. But get a group of cleaners to help the poor dear because I doubt one maid can clean all of this up." Silvia shook her head. "No I mean for your studies after you learn how this man performs your magic and you attempt to copy it only to cause something to explode."

Alex placed both hands, now clenched into fists, on her hips as she glared at the maid. "That happened one time Silvia and that was a year ago!" she furiously shouted as she defended her honor. "Yes. Just like how it happened one time the year before that and one time again the other year before." the maid replied back which only made the woman's glare at her more intently.

The two didn't noticed Elizabeth zipping past them with Timothy as the two were preoccupied with their argument. Elizabeth looked at the various fancy dressed people and ignored most of them, even the ones trying to get her attention or to say some hollow praise to her. The young girl knew that they were only being nice to her because they wanted to use her to get to her mom. The girl felt the tap on her shoulder and turn to face her new friend.

She looked over to the dual and when asked if they should talk to her Elizabeth nodded as she followed the redhead to the dual. Before they arrived at the table both Sibyl and Morgaine smiled at the compliant that Jules gave them, even though Morgaine blushed somewhat. "Thank you." both said at the same time. When Jonah asked the young half elf about the party she gave him tired expression. "Bored. I always wanted to be in a fancy party but now that I'm here it's just a bunch of adults doing boring stuff." she told him which made Sibyl laugh.

As the two joined in Sibyl looked at the direction the two were looking at and saw the elf. "She must be with security. Could she tell that they don't belong here?" the half elf was panicked for a few seconds but calm down seconds later. She reassured herself that the guard would have went to them and told them to leave if that was the case. No doubt she was just keeping an eyes on them like every other guest in the building.

When Konrad sat down next to them and asked for the ladies to join him on the bar Sibyl frown. "Like Jules said, I'm with my daughter and I rather stay sober for my return back home." she replied coldly at him. She was not surprised that people like Konrad would be in the party, she was expecting it really. But she hoped that men like him wouldn't be interested in a small half elf who was a single mother, apparently she was wrong.

the half elf noticed that the man's aura felt off. It felt lively yet not. Before she can think more on it she heard a new voice coming next to her and saw both a redhead boy in a fancy dress and a young girl in a maroon dress that looked almost like a miniature clone of their hostess. As the two introduced themselves the half elf smiled. "My aren't you two adorable. My name is Sibyl." the younger half elf replied with. "You can call me Morgaine." She looked at the two. "I like the color of your hair." she said to Timothy before turning to Elizabeth. "And I like your dress and your rabbit." Elizabeth raised her rabbit slightly up as she said softly "Thank you."

The half elf looked at the young girl. "Wait a minute. You look like that lady who is throwing this party. Are you her daughter?" Elizabeth nodded. "That's so cool. Can you do magic like her or make some cool machine?" Elizabeth nodded. "Yes. My mom taught me some spells whenever she isn't busy or I'm not being taught by my tutor. Sometimes when I'm alone I sometimes try to make up my own spells. Sometimes I make a new spell... Other times I end up creating a mess." she told them, feeling embarrassed at admitting the times she failed.

"Your mom allows you to practice magic by yourself?" The young half elf asked to which Elizabeth shook her head. "No, if anything she hates it when I do. That's why I said I do it when I'm alone and I'm sure no one can see me." Morgaine nodded. "My mom is like that as well. She wouldn't let me practice some types of magic in the house even if she was there with me." Sibyl would let out a sigh at the comment. "That's because the first time you tried to use fire magic in the house you nearly set the kitchen on fire. Until you finally learn how to control that magic I won't allow you to use it in the house. That is why you need to focus on your studies so mommy doesn't need to put so much restrictions on your magic." the younger half elf gave her mother an angry pout which Sibyl found adorable.

The young girl looked at the two before speaking. "Me and Timothy are thinking of going to my room to play and we are looking for other kids who want to join us. You don't mind if your daughter joins us?" Sibyl was surprised to hear that. "And your parents aren't going to be worry about you two not being close by." Elizabeth would tell her that their families were aware of where they will be. "Can I go with them mom? I don't really have much to do in here and I rather not sit here listening to adults talking about boring stuff." Morgaine pleaded.

Having her daughter and the two other kids looking at her as though they were pleading for her to say yes made the half elf sighed. "Just tell me where your room is and she can go with you two." the news made Morgaine excited as Elizabeth gave Sibyl directions through the apartment. "I see. Thank you for your help Elizabeth." Sibyl told her. The half elf was feeling fortunate that the young girl provided her a good layout on the rest of the house even though she felt somewhat bad on using the information to spy and possibly steal from her mother.

As the detective talked with the kids the orc had his sight on them but before he can get any closer he was stopped by Iris. When the young woman told him that she was keeping an eye on them he huffed. "You know if something happens to the girl it would be on our heads right? I just want to keep my head where it is. But I'll let you take the reigns of that mission. Maybe the boss won't have all of our heads if you screw up." the orc said as he chuckled darkly at his words. Smirking at Iris for taking both the easiest mission, yet one where failure of the slightest was not an option as far as Alex was concern.

As he looked at the half elf he let out another chuckle. "So that is what the boss could have looked like if she was a half elf." yet as he looked at the woman his smirk went away. "Say, does that woman look familiar to you? I feel like I've seen her somewhere before?" the orc was trying to recall where he had seen Sibyl before, his mind drawing up fuzzy images where he saw her with other people before.

As Ms. Ashwood made mention of his invitation, he remembered that he still wanted to solve the mystery of the invitation he had received, but at the same time, he did not know if he wanted to continue to associate with this person. Something about her remained ominous and manipulative in the air around him, as though he could feel her aura puppeteering the party and keeping its attendees in a state of ignorance and frivolity. As long as she was in the room, people around her continued to down alcohol and to carouse without too much of a care, and his eyes occasionally flickered to the guests who slowly descended either into a drunken stupor or an alcohol-fueled ecstasy. Distinguished guests had begun to fall off the couches and the bar, splashing drinks on the ground and giggling like schoolchildren. A couple or two were making-out in the corners of the large ballroom, and perfume now mixed with sweat and expensive liquor, making the air heavy and almost carnal. Ichiru would gladly leave, if he could only sneak away from the all-seeing gaze of Alex Ashwood. However, she did not wish for him to leave. She wanted him to stay, both during and after the party. If he could head back to his current place of residence, or even leave Lumina altogether, he would, but he was not sure what consequences such a decision carried.

In the meantime, he found himself unnerved by the peeks into the cracks of his hostess's mask. She was power-hungry, an opportunist. He watched the cool glimmer in her eyes turn into the sizzle of lightning as she asked him about his Magic. She wanted to learn about his Magic, but only because she figured she could use him to further her own ends. She was in some sort of competition with a...Romanov. Romanov?...Does she mean a member of the royal family of Romanovs?...Or is there some other business-person I need to worry about? The last thing he wanted was to be pulled between two different corporate heads as their test-monkey. And when she mentioned him being 'evidence' for her theory, he cringed internally at her reaction. She was all too excited about probing him for information, and he wondered if he had told her too much information. "...My village has been non-existent now for...quite some time. You would find almost nothing if I showed you the place in which I grew-up. I am all that remains, as far as I know. But you talk of 'Old Magic' and 'Ephemeral Magic'...What exactly do you define as 'Ephemeral Magic'?" he inquired. He imagined that 'Old Magic' simply implied the existence of Magic, or some sort of supernatural power, which came from higher powers rather than materials, but he did not know how such magic was different from 'Ephemeral Magic'.

She began to talk about the city's Magic, however, and he did turn his head back to listen to her. As he had been told before, Vim was a natural-or supernatural-resource, and the city harvested it as a material in order to make Magic. It created a sort of material 'field' which people could use as energy, apparently, and people also seemed to take that Magic and to use it for non-Magical purposes. Like those pills those men were talking about on the street... Thinking about the 'field' of substance that Vim created, however, Ichiru now had another question. "...You mentioned that it creates a sort of energy field which people can use, yes?...Does it also come with the risk of...poisoning the body?...Or...changing its genetic structure?...I've read about certain elements possibly causing such sicknesses...If you've ever heard of Madam Curie, for example, who studied uranium and died of leukemia as a result of her studies...Does using Vim carry a similar dangerous possibility?"
-Alan Jackson

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Thu May 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Luminesa wrote:---

The woman can see that from his aura Ichuri felt very uncomfortable to be in the room, to be in this very city in fact. She wasn't surprised by this. The man lived his life in a rural existence surrounded by nature and in a area were the divide between the spiritual realm and the material world was thin.  He would rather be in a village made up of sand paper and wooden small houses with rice fields and trees around the village than confusing yet orderly labyrinth of towers of concrete and steel. Where the grass and dirt was paved over by cobblestone and were wagons and carriages were pulled by steam powered machines or artificially created life forms instead of men and beasts born from nature.

She wonder how he probably felt when saw steam powered locomotives, or seeing ships driven by paddle wheels or propellers instead of sails, powered by steam engines instead of wind like it was for many centuries and encase in iron and steel instead of wood. To say nothing of actual flying machines would be criminal. He might feel as though he was taken by either the spirits or faeries and was transported into another world. Yet as she was trying to gauge his mindscape she was ignorant or ambivalent towards the drunken state of some of her guests. When she glance a waiter carrying a tray with some glasses of wine she rose her finger to get his attention.

The man walked over and gave her a glass. "Do you wish for a drink sir." The waiter asked. The sound of clockwork turning was heard. Once Ichuri gave his reply the man would bow slightly and walk away. Alex would take a sip from her wine as she thought over his questions. "So your village is gone huh? Was that before or during your nations rapid industrialization?" She would ask as she spin the glass slightly.

"I can guess that you're not a big fan of that change right? Unfortunately my company has a division in Anjin to assist in your nation's industrialization." She gave him a smirk. "Not only would I help people rise to modern standards of living but my company be able to find potential consumers in your nation." She cross her free arm in front of her chest, underneath her breasts and grabbing the bicep of her other arm.

"I find that if you keep a good balance between giving and taking with the masses you will ensure the loyalty and trust of your consumers. A stance that sadly some people in my position don't follow, preferring to take more from people than to give. Of course me being a mage I follow the rules of equivalent exchange. It was something I was taught when I began to study magic." She explained as she began to sip from the glass again.

A drunk man would stumble to the two, Alex glancing at him while she was still drinking from her glass. The man reek of alcohol. His fancy suit was rippled up and his coat was close to sliding off. His mustache, one comb to be neat and presentable, was now a bushy mess, crumbs and pieces of food hanging on the bundles of hair. The man's eyes had a hard time focusing on the two but he seem to try with Alex as he gave her a wide toothy smile, the scent of wine and alcohol coming off his mouth.

"You must be an orphanage? Because I need to give you a couple of kids." The drunken said to Alex, trying his best to sound flitruous but failing miserably as it only made him sound more like the drunk fool he was. "But I think someone already beat me to that." He would say with a chuckle, amused by his joke. The woman glared at the man as she moved the glass away from her lips. Alex would splash the wine at the man's face for his poor pickup line. Alex ignored the man surprised outburst as she turn her attention back to Ichuri.

"Ephemeral magic is..." Alex would be interrupted by the drunken man yelling at her. "You stupid bitch how dare you treat me like that! Someone should teach you how a proper lady should behave around a gentleman." Alex rolled her eyes but kept her gaze at Ichuri. "So far there is only one gentleman with me and I'm looking at him. Now if you excuse me I wish to resume my conversation with him." She would gesture him to go away.

Instead of following through with her order the man looked more furious at her dismissal. "You midget cow I'll..." he rose his hand to slap her but before he can bring his hand down he would suddenly see a large blade being pointed at him. The blade had white wavy patterns on the nearly blacken blade. Before the blade was out Ichuri would have heard the sounds of clockwork turning rapidly as Silvia sprang forward and her hand moved downward so the large blade came out and was aim at the drunken man's neck.

The man screamed in horror and fell on his butt, he crawled backwards in fear as a large wet stain form on his trousers as he lost control of his bladder. The maid pointed her blade at the man. "How dare you try to harm my mistress you cretin. If you try to lay a finger on her again I will make sure you will leave here one handed." The maid threaten. As the man looked at her with fear Ichuri can see that a part of her forearm was not only pulled up by bars of metals connected to gears but with it pulled back he would glimpse inside her arm, seeing the complex machinery within along with plastic tubes flowing maroon fluids and wires.

Alex put her hands on Silvia's shoulders. "Thank you Silvia but there is no need for this man to sully this party. Besides nothing belong him is good enough to be used as a trophy." She walked up to him. Once she was closed she would kick him on the face. "That was for the terrible pickup line." She said as she brought her leg down. She would raise her right arm up. "And this is for trying to hit me and for being a shameful display of an Alban gentleman." She would snap her fingers.

The whole fiasco was being watched by several partygoers and even the guards. The closest one, being the ogre, walked forward and grabbed the man by the shoulders to lift him up. "Take that piece of filth out of here." She gave the man a smile that made him even more fearful as it promised misfortune. "You can "discipline" him for ten minutes once your outside." The ogre was now giving the man a similar look as he let out a sinister sounding laugh which made the man loss any color on his face. As the ogre was dragging the man away from the three he would be screaming out for mercy and forgiveness, none of which was offered as he was dragged out to the hall.

Alex look around as she saw that those not completely drunk were staring at her. "Come on people, it's a party. Don't let a small incident like that ruin What's supposed to be a good time. Just use what happen as a lesson on what not to do in any party." She would tell to the partygoers.

After calling over another waiter for a drink Silvia would retract back her blade and her forearm would return to normal. "I swear he was lucky that he pissed himself otherwise I would have kicked and stomped on his bollocks." She stated before taking a sip on her new glass. "I'm surprise you didn't punch him for saying that you." Siliva said. "Well punching someone in the face isn't something one shouldn't do while hosting a party." The maid looked at her mistress incredulously. "But harming genitals is allowed?" Alex would give her a smile. "It is if you are dealing with a pervert who doesn't know better." She said with a chuckle that border on sounding sinister.

She would turn her attention back to Ichuri. "Sorry about that, sometimes my guests can be very unruly. Especially when alcohol is involved. But returning back to your question. Ephemeral magic is what we call the type of magic that deals with spirits. It covers things like seeing and interacting with spiritual objects and entities, seeing or even traveling to the spirit realms, imbuing objects with spirits energy, to even create entities, objects, and scenery with spiritual energy. It is a branch of magic that is still relatively new as it was only discover once spirit activity grew to the point that everyone knew they have return." She explained to him.

"As for possible dangers with Vim..." she looked away slightly as she frown, the expression being a clue that his suspicions of Vim possessing some dangers was right before she continue. "Unfortunately Vim does effect the body negatively if mishandled. It's effects can even target the mind. Vim has been known to cause not only sickness but mutation to people and those can result in madness."  

She can tell that Ichuri was going to most likely freak out at the news and is wondering what sort of insanity has befallen everyone on using such a dangerous substance. Which is why she spoke up before he can say anything. "But Vim is only dangerous if you both mishandle like I said or handle it without proper precautions and protection. The field it produces is harmless unless as nothing is agitating it to become an environmental hazard, and even still it isn't the field that causes mutations but Vim in it's more physical forms. The mutation comes from either long exposure to Vim or consuming large quantities of it. Just as Madam Curie showed us both the possibilities and dangers of atomic energy others have done the same with Vim. I wouldn't worry to much about Vim poisoning you or you growing a third eye or tail in Lumina." Alex reassured him, speaking in a calming manner. 
Last edited by Naval Monte on Thu May 09, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu May 09, 2019 7:01 pm

She had more questions about his village. He needed to give her answers without giving away information about his age. “...Oh it’s...been quite some time. My small village...probably did not experience too much industrialization before it disappeared. You are probably aware of how small towns...die away.” His eyes became saddened for a moment as he thought about the last time he had seen his small town. Truly nothing remained, and even his father’s grave-and many other graves-had been long-since covered and eroded by weather and weeds.

He then listened to her talk of the ethics of running a business. Her smirk and her posture gave him the impression that she was not being entirely honest, but he listened to her nonetheless. She talked of bringing the country to “modern standards”, but given what he saw, he was not sure what quite was so good about those standards. Perhaps changes in healthcare and education, but he had not seen what those were like now. His ears did perk as he heard her mention “equivalent exchange”, however. “...Well...they do say that treating others as you would like to be treated is the golden rule...but equivalent exchange does take that a step further...” He knew of the concept from his studies of alchemy, but he had never used Magic quite in that way.

His mind came to the present, however, as a drunk man came to bother Ms. Ashwood. He made a pick-up line which caused Ichiru discomfort, and his eyes shifted to the side, as he was not sure how to handle the man. “...Sir, I believe it would be best if you...headed home for the evening,” he suggested quietly, putting a hand on his arm. His reaction was not registered, apparently, and Ashwood splashed the man with her drink as he flirted with her. He blushed as she called him a gentleman, but he said nothing to stop her tirade against the man. He was quite rude, after all. When she shouted at him, he moved to defend her, turning his stance to the man. He managed to grab the man’s arm, but just as quickly Silvia jumped to action.

He let the man go as he fell on his back, and then turned to watch Silvia. Her arm had turned into a sword, long and jagged with an elaborate blue design. He examined her arm, and saw that it was attached to heavy-looking metal gears on her arm. I see...She also has augmentations on her own body... he pondered. Something about her reaction, however, seemed different from that of someone who simply had a mechanical arm. She was like a robot, cold and unnatural. He did not disturb her from her work, and instead let Ashwood calm her servant. Finally, when the tussle cleared and Ashwood turned her attention back to him, she began to answer his questions.

So Ephemeral Magic was merely a kind of Old Magic. He frowned as she said that it was a new kind of Magic. He had figured that spiritual magic had existed for thousands of years, but he remembered that she came from a different world than his. Vim was most of what she knew. She also confirmed his suspicions that Vim could be quite dangerous, and could even mutate people and their bodies. He wondered for a moment if Silvia was a result of that mutation, or perhaps even her sweet little daughter. Is it possible...for Vim to change a person entirely? To make their aura something that is not human?...But such a thought seems cruel, and unkind. I know far too well how it feels...to be considered inhuman. I should be the last person to have such thoughts about someone else... he scolded himself. “...I see...I...do not know if I shall attempt to use Vim myself, but...I would be interested in seeing...how it is used to create Magic. In perhaps a...positive environment,” he suggested.
-Alan Jackson

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Thu May 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Alex nodded in agreement with Ichuri. "True, my old home town had to change with the times because some of the neighboring towns and villages that refused to adapt were declining, some being outright abandoned." She look sadden when she was reminded of her old home town. Ichuri might think it was odd for her to be saddened as her town was still around from her claim. Could she perhaps miss the town she spent most of her childhood in?

Her thoughts return back to the present when he mention the golden rule. "Well I wasn't always where I am now and unlike some people I haven't let the wealth and power get into my head and toss aside my empathy and compassion for more. I can still get more money without compromising my integrity." She of course told him a white lie. She was willing to compromise on minor areas but major parts of her integrity is where she drew the line.

When Ichiri mention that he won't use Vim for magic Alex and Silvia gave him confused looks. "I don't know what they told you about magic in your village but modern magic uses Vim. Not using Vim is not using magic. But this city is proof of its positive uses. My house uses many devices powered by Vim." She told him. "You never knew that until now?" The woman was now suspicious but also curious on this mysterious man. He was an oddity that she wish to understand, she felt that doing so will yield interesting results.

At the table Sibyl, Morgaine, and Elizabeth watch as the man was dragged away after causing a scene. "So that was your mom huh?" Elizabeth nodded at Morgaine's question. "She would have punched anyone who tried to hit her. One time she electrocuted a man for trying to punch her." Sibyl gulped in fear as she realize that she would have to be careful around Ashwood.

"Your maid took out a giant blade from her arm. How did she do that?" Sibyl heard her daughter ask. "Silvia is a Doll." Morgaine looked puzzle at the answer. Sibyl was too until she recall something. "Dolls are like automatons but they don't look like them and most act like us." Morgaine seem fascinated by the new information. "Robots that act like us? That sounds like something from some of my stories. I didn't know they were real!" Elizabeth would join in. "My mom's company makes them. She told me she was inspired by the dolls back in our home land. But the dolls there were different to the ones we have in here."

Sibyl was intrigued by what Elizabeth. "Tell me what is your home land?" Elizabeth stayed quiet when asked about her homeland. Underneath the table Sibyl's familiars were almost finish, at least the rats were almost finish. The flies were done and they immediately flew out as soon as they can fly. The flying familiars flew around to either spy at the various partygoers or fo explore the house and search through the various rooms.

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Thu May 09, 2019 8:51 pm

Venusta

The beautiful Inquisitor returned Tallow's greeting with a slight smile and an equally slight curtsy. Venusta appreciated his use of her mother tongue, even if she still had lingering misgiving about not only this little heist but also his motivations. Of all the people that Sibyl collected, he was the only one--save of course for herself--who did not quite seem to fit. Still, she had little reason to treat the Alban any different from Sibyl's other associates.

"I felt little need to overspend on myself," she replied in High Cadian. "The others were in a more desperate situation and in more dire need of new garments. Not only that, but it seems that they are the ones doing more of the work on this excursion."

The sounds of the party came to a screeching halt and Venusta turned when she heard the unmistakable sounds of someone throwing a drink at someone else. The scene devolved even further as the man berated their host until one of Ashwood's bodyguards made short work of the situation. Venusta turned her attention back to Everton.

"I still can't quite figure Ashwood out."
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

True Refuge
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby True Refuge » Fri May 10, 2019 2:06 am

Britanania wrote:Venusta

The beautiful Inquisitor returned Tallow's greeting with a slight smile and an equally slight curtsy. Venusta appreciated his use of her mother tongue, even if she still had lingering misgiving about not only this little heist but also his motivations. Of all the people that Sibyl collected, he was the only one--save of course for herself--who did not quite seem to fit. Still, she had little reason to treat the Alban any different from Sibyl's other associates.

"I felt little need to overspend on myself," she replied in High Cadian. "The others were in a more desperate situation and in more dire need of new garments. Not only that, but it seems that they are the ones doing more of the work on this excursion."

The sounds of the party came to a screeching halt and Venusta turned when she heard the unmistakable sounds of someone throwing a drink at someone else. The scene devolved even further as the man berated their host until one of Ashwood's bodyguards made short work of the situation. Venusta turned her attention back to Everton.

"I still can't quite figure Ashwood out."

As the commotion unfolded, distracting Venusta for a while, Everton scanned over the crowd. Most of them displayed quite an impressive degree of pearl-clutching or gasping as their hostess engaged an aggressor, standard fare for their kind, contributing to the quiet which claimed the dining room if only to be interrupted by the drunkard's begging. In the midst of it, Everton spied one of very few attendees spectating Ashwood's mess without looking as if every part of etiquette had been violated in front of them. One of them was barely reacting at all.

That man's face he didn't know, but the symbol embroidered into his right lapel was anything but unfamiliar. That hourglass with a sun shooting out light rays in its upper half and a crescent moon in its lower, shrouded in old runes, was ingrained in his memory. The Ernst family sigil... He stared at the agent until they returned the favour out of the corner of their eye. He met Everton's gaze there, frozen for an instant in suspicion, then a momentarily confused frown, and finally a featureless expression as the agent's sideways look moved over Everton's differing features and came to rest on Everton's cane. Everton flicked to Venusta for a moment, and he followed. Ashwood's maid retaliated against the drunkard, drawing another round of shock from the crowd at such a wonderful and disturbing display of craftsmanship in their paltry opinions. The Ernst agent gave the tiniest movement, barely even a nod—Everton saw it regardless—before twisting back to the altercation as it wrapped up.

"She is a Vim Revolution tycoon," Everton said wearily after Venusta's comment, "and she's not much past that." He glanced away, back at the table. "That is, nothing that concerns us."

Blackstone and the rest were taking the opportunity to talk to Ashwood's daughter, of all people. Everton watched them impassively as he continued. "I assure you, Miss Venusta, I was not made part of this team out of any aptitude for small talk and noblemen's conversation traps. You'll be gladdened by my presence if whatever plan that Blackstone has neglected to inform me of fails."
Last edited by True Refuge on Sat May 11, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
COMMUNIST

Prusselanden
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Prusselanden » Fri May 10, 2019 6:16 am

Party
Jules watched with a feeling of tension as Alex dealt with the drunk man. “Well, it seems that’s taken care of...hmm, she’s lucky to have a bodyguard. I don’t know what I would do in the same situation....”

“Even in the higher scale neighborhoods there are still people who act like brutes”

She nervously nibbled at a little piece of cookie.

“Ha, I’m an asshole and even for me slapping a lady is crossing a line.” Konrad laughed. “Don’t worry. If Sylvia attacks, I’ll protect you” he said quietly to Jules and grinned. The werewolf did not return the smile.

“Won’t need it.” Jules wiped her mouth and walked away from the table, hoping to explore a little and find some suspicious clues.

“So...” Jonah looked at Elizabeth and Timothy. “If you guys are going to elizabeth’s room to play, may I come as well?”
Last edited by Prusselanden on Fri May 10, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse