NATION

PASSWORD

Scramble for Africa [1880s-1910s][OOC][Sign-Up]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Crimetopolis wrote:Standard Oil Company of New Jersey occupying Tanganyika? Good Ol' John D. Rockefeller, I like him because he was totally ruthless in his younger days, too. Think also the United Fruit Co. of the Banana Republic. If I can have him, I'm Standard Oil with the Boers, because ol' John D. sees Britain as 'just another to be removed on the road to progress, too.

I would much like to be funded by an American superrich/industrialist/fruit tycoon.
Capilean News (Updated 16 November)
Where is the horse gone? Where the warrior?
Where is the treasure-giver? Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Unified Republic of America
Attaché

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Republic of America » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:31 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:
Crimetopolis wrote:Standard Oil Company of New Jersey occupying Tanganyika? Good Ol' John D. Rockefeller, I like him because he was totally ruthless in his younger days, too. Think also the United Fruit Co. of the Banana Republic. If I can have him, I'm Standard Oil with the Boers, because ol' John D. sees Britain as 'just another to be removed on the road to progress, too.

I would much like to be funded by an American superrich/industrialist/fruit tycoon.

Nah mate, let the Chinese handle it. We do it cheap 8)

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Unified Republic of America wrote:Nah mate, let the Chinese handle it. We do it cheap 8)

The more investors, the better.
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Republic of America » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Unified Republic of America wrote:Nah mate, let the Chinese handle it. We do it cheap 8)

The more investors, the better.

The Wolf of Johannesburg

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Unified Republic of America wrote:
Danceria wrote:Due to Franco-Prussian shenanigans, France and Germany will no doubt be at odds for African clay, after the previous war. France is eager to get the lion's share of the old Iberian colonies, but I don't want to overextend myself.

My goal is to keep Madagascar, Ivory Coast, and some overseas Asian possessions. I have a plan on how to counteract Britannia ruling the waves...

Speaking of your plan, my nation in the RP, the Republic of China, IC sent the Kingdom of France an offer of a defensive alliance against the British threat as part of the policy of “containment.” If you want it, you can reply to me about it in the thread.

Normally, I'd be all over that like a rash, but with Britain being OP and my next door neighbor, not to mention the rising power that is Germany, I need to secure my position in Europe before I execute Operation Dock 'em Rock 'Em.

I'd be fine with just Indochina and Indonesia, with a few free city ports for trade. Speaking of...

@Dude being standard oil, His Majesty may have a job or two for you...that, or call Carnegie.
The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:The more investors, the better.

The Wolf of Johannesburg

...I can imagine an alt-history movie of this, a mix of the Godfather and Sleeping Dogs, where intrigue is served every day, plutocrats pay big...basically a corporatist cyberpunk novel set in the 19th century.
Somebody fund this shit.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Republic of America » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Danceria wrote:
Speaking of your plan, my nation in the RP, the Republic of China, IC sent the Kingdom of France an offer of a defensive alliance against the British threat as part of the policy of “containment.” If you want it, you can reply to me about it in the thread.

Normally, I'd be all over that like a rash, but with Britain being OP and my next door neighbor, not to mention the rising power that is Germany, I need to secure my position in Europe before I execute Operation Dock 'em Rock 'Em.

I'd be fine with just Indochina and Indonesia, with a few free city ports for trade. Speaking of...

@Dude being standard oil, His Majesty may have a job or two for you...that, or call Carnegie.
Unified Republic of America wrote:The Wolf of Johannesburg

...I can imagine an alt-history movie of this, a mix of the Godfather and Sleeping Dogs, where intrigue is served every day, plutocrats pay big...basically a corporatist cyberpunk novel set in the 19th century.
Somebody fund this shit.

Someone ping Republic of Dixie to make Hollywood

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Hmm...on a scale of one to ten, how badly would you like me to have underwent a war that weakened the vast overseas dominions of the British Empire through dirty tactics? I want to knock him down a few pegs so I don't have to sweat bullets every time I look across the channel.
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:50 pm

Danceria wrote:Hmm...on a scale of one to ten, how badly would you like me to have underwent a war that weakened the vast overseas dominions of the British Empire through dirty tactics? I want to knock him down a few pegs so I don't have to sweat bullets every time I look across the channel.

10, assuming that's the best side of the scale.

And before Shrive thinks everyone's ganging up on him, the OP-ness of Britain is real. Even in normal history it had (arguably) the best army and navy and had basically achieved global hegemony by this point.

The Wanderer

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Republic of America » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Danceria wrote:Hmm...on a scale of one to ten, how badly would you like me to have underwent a war that weakened the vast overseas dominions of the British Empire through dirty tactics? I want to knock him down a few pegs so I don't have to sweat bullets every time I look across the channel.

10, assuming that's the best side of the scale.

And before Shrive thinks everyone's ganging up on him, the OP-ness of Britain is real. Even in normal history it had (arguably) the best army and navy and had basically achieved global hegemony by this point.

Yeah, I won’t be surprised if Peking gets sieged by the China Squadron by tomorrow

7; I would prefer Britain to be weakened to a point defeating them in a phyrric war is plausible but not enough to weaken Britain to the point they aren’t considered a threat
Last edited by Unified Republic of America on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:26 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:10, assuming that's the best side of the scale.

Yeah, I won’t be surprised if Peking gets sieged by the China Squadron by tomorrow

7; I would prefer Britain to be weakened to a point defeating them in a phyrric war is plausible but not enough to weaken Britain to the point they aren’t considered a threat

Actually, I kind of did a phyrric idea for Britain, no small amount of out-thinking the British.

The long and short of it is this, France and the then Imperial China got together with some Southeast Asian Pirates to kick the Brits around Malaysia for a spell. Emphasizing the use of small, coordinated squadrons of local guerillas and pirates, supplied by Chinese and French tacticians and guns, the French realized that any battle the navy or army got into would result in a British victory. So how do we get them to fight each other? The answer was simple. Britannia ruled the waves, Francia ruled the docks. Deprive the enemy of a local harbor to resupply, and win through attrition. Cause further discontent by pulling a Hannibal Barca on them: "That's a nice commander you got there. Would be a shame if he got a series of bloodless victories to make you guys think we struck a deal with him/force him to bomb the harbors in order to get rid of us." as nationalism played a huge part in the Franco-Lotharian war, the French also prioritized causing rifts between the local Indian, Austrslian and Boer forces, pitting them more against each other and seeding dissent at home.

Britain still "technically" won and owns parts of Indonesia and Thailand...but at the cost of hopefully overextending itself.

TL;DR: Did a literal Vietnam and Gallipoli on Britain, blamed the Qing govt (which I hope can be one if the reasons why China is a Republic), and walked away being buddies with the Indochinese and the knowledge that Britain isn't invincible, securing the recently re-restored monarchy with a military victory France so desperately needed after the Franco-Prussian War.
Obligatory Quotes below

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:*Lotharia coolly navigates the waters, calculating the perfect opportunity*

*France casually steals all of the trade routes while everyone is busy finding resources, preventing them from shipping said resources*
All according to keikaku*

*Tranalator's note: Keikaku means "unnecessarily convoluted scheme" in French

Gotta love the irony of France leading a coalition against Britain, when during Napoleon's time, they lead seven of them against France.
Obligatory Quotes below

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Republic of America » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:53 pm

Danceria wrote:

Actually, I kind of did a phyrric idea for Britain, no small amount of out-thinking the British.

The long and short of it is this, France and the then Imperial China got together with some Southeast Asian Pirates to kick the Brits around Malaysia for a spell. Emphasizing the use of small, coordinated squadrons of local guerillas and pirates, supplied by Chinese and French tacticians and guns, the French realized that any battle the navy or army got into would result in a British victory. So how do we get them to fight each other? The answer was simple. Britannia ruled the waves, Francia ruled the docks. Deprive the enemy of a local harbor to resupply, and win through attrition. Cause further discontent by pulling a Hannibal Barca on them: "That's a nice commander you got there. Would be a shame if he got a series of bloodless victories to make you guys think we struck a deal with him/force him to bomb the harbors in order to get rid of us." as nationalism played a huge part in the Franco-Lotharian war, the French also prioritized causing rifts between the local Indian, Austrslian and Boer forces, pitting them more against each other and seeding dissent at home.

Britain still "technically" won and owns parts of Indonesia and Thailand...but at the cost of hopefully overextending itself.

TL;DR: Did a literal Vietnam and Gallipoli on Britain, blamed the Qing govt (which I hope can be one if the reasons why China is a Republic), and walked away being buddies with the Indochinese and the knowledge that Britain isn't invincible, securing the recently re-restored monarchy with a military victory France so desperately needed after the Franco-Prussian War.

Ye, it would be Qing China at the time; internal dissent and demand for reform would’ve toppled the emperor and put a Republic in power

The Philippine Islands of Luzviminda
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Philippine Islands of Luzviminda » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:01 pm

I will be gone for a day so good luck
An alt-historical nation loosely based on the Philippines and represents my views except for a few misclicks

Crimetopolis
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

OOC: My nation: APP FIXED:

Postby Crimetopolis » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Sign-Ups

Colonizer ( Foreign Nation )

Code: Select all
Colonizer :  John  D.  Rockefeller
Nation Name:  Standard   Oil  Republic
Real Life Country(Location): in  the  telegram  agreed  zone  adjacent  the Boer  Republic.
Economic System:Capitalism
Ideology: Ruthless  Capitalism
Form of Government:  Corporate Police  State
Population:  1.5  million  whites,  3  million natives.
Military Power: Standard Oil has imported  German advisors  They  already have  and  twenty  torpedo  ship navy.  Every white  home has  a  rack of  1873  Winchester  rifles and  every  white  person  has  a  Colt  1878 double  action  .44-40  revolver
Size of Economy:  Vast  OIl,  trading,  railroads,  arms  manufacturing, agriculture,  machine  shops
Economic Stability:  Guaranteed
Ally  of  the  Boer Republic
Other:
I know the Mauser pistol and Maxim gun aren't out yet. So I'm going 1881 We're allied to the Boers and sending them arms and machinery.

African ( Tribe,Nation,Milita etc....)

[code]

List of Players and Claims

Shrive - British Empire - Holy British Empire
The New Canadian Militia - US and Canada
Knessniet - The Netherlands, Belgium (Flanders)
Deutschess Kaiserreich - Germany
The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile - North-Eastern South Africa - The Boer Confederation
Tinhampton/The Free Cape Territories - Western African Cape - The Free Cape Territories
Draos - Southern US - Republic of Dixie
Spain-Portugal - Spain and Portugal - Iberian Union
Seba Kemet - Egypt - Kemet
Akeshistan - All of Centeral Asia ( Kaz, Tajiki etc..)
Austro-Hungarion - Austria and Hunguary (Shocking...!)
The Philippine Islands of Luzviminda - Sardinia and Corsica - United Islands of Sardinia and Corsica\
Dorkaria/Eternal Lotharia - Czechia Switz Denmark - Lotharia
Imperium of the huron - anatolia Bulgaria, Greece, Syria, Israel,Arabia, Iraq, Lebanon,Libya - Ottoman Empire[/quote]
Last edited by Crimetopolis on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Republic of America » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:18 am

Crimetopolis wrote:Sign-Ups

Colonizer ( Foreign Nation )

Code: Select all
Colonizer :  John  D.  Rockefeller
Nation Name:  Standard   Oil  Republic
Real Life Country(Location): Tanganyika
Economic System:Capitalism
Ideology: Ruthless  Capitalism
Form of Government:  Corporate Police  State
Population:  1.5  million  whites,  3  million natives.
Military Power: Standard Oil has imported  German advisors  They  already have  and  twenty  torpedo  ship navy.  Every white  home has  a  rack of  1873  Winchester  rifles and  every  white  person  has  a  Colt  1870  .44-40  revolver
Size of Economy:  Vast  OIl,  trading,  railroads,  arms  manufacturing, agriculture,  machine  shops
Economic Stability:  Guaranteed
Other:
I know the Mauser pistol and Maxim gun aren't out yet. So I'm going 1881 We're allied to the Boers and sending them arms and machinery.

African ( Tribe,Nation,Milita etc....)

[code]

List of Players and Claims

Shrive - British Empire - Holy British Empire
The New Canadian Militia - US and Canada
Knessniet - The Netherlands, Belgium (Flanders)
Deutschess Kaiserreich - Germany
The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile - North-Eastern South Africa - The Boer Confederation
Tinhampton/The Free Cape Territories - Western African Cape - The Free Cape Territories
Draos - Southern US - Republic of Dixie
Spain-Portugal - Spain and Portugal - Iberian Union
Seba Kemet - Egypt - Kemet
Akeshistan - All of Centeral Asia ( Kaz, Tajiki etc..)
Austro-Hungarion - Austria and Hunguary (Shocking...!)
The Philippine Islands of Luzviminda - Sardinia and Corsica - United Islands of Sardinia and Corsica\
Dorkaria/Eternal Lotharia - Czechia Switz Denmark - Lotharia
Imperium of the huron - anatolia Bulgaria, Greece, Syria, Israel,Arabia, Iraq, Lebanon,Libya - Ottoman Empire
[/quote]

Actually, the Republic of China has already set up a colony in Tanzania :/, might want to try your luck again in west Africa
Last edited by Unified Republic of America on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Indochinoise
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Indochinoise » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:43 am

Tosia can you add me on the list of nations.

Tosia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tosia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:02 am

Vultuca wrote:Nation Name: United Provinces of Rio De La Plata
Real Life Country(Location): Argentina Paraguay and Uruguay
Economic System: Capitalist
Ideology: Peronism & Capitalism
Form of Government: Full Presidental representative democratic republic
Population: 2.569 Million
Military Power: Decently Good
Size of Economy:
Economic Stability: Pretty Stable
Other:

Approved! Lets see how a south American nations fairs against the europeans,asians and Dixie

Tosia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tosia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:22 am

I like how Lotharia is making all these intimdating remarks yet they have no claims whatsoever in Africa compared to the big superpowers like China, Austro-Hungary or the Ottomans (Maybe Knessniet, Dixie,Japan or Iberia as rising powers? Kemet has so far done nothing.) Really, Lotharia has worse a claim than the HBE, even then the HBE claimed something......
Last edited by Tosia on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yokotari
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Yokotari » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:06 am

Nation Name: The Kingdom of Mongo
Real Life Country: Democratic Republic of Congo (occupy about the center of what would be the real life country)
Economic System: Traditional (Economy) | Taxes are collected, though their value is usually estimated via weight and rarity
Ideology: Monarchism | Tribalism
Form of Government: Absolute Monarchy | The Kingdom of Mongo is controlled by a single King who rules with absolute authority. Below the King are the Nobility, who tend to be warriors coming from loyal families. These families pledge support and allegiance to the crown and follow the will of the King without question. Effectively there are strict social castes that people have a hard time moving up, however this has proven to be effective for the nation as a whole.
Population: 2.18 Million
Military Power: Total amount of men involved in the Military (130,800)
- 1,308 Royal Guards | The Royal Guards are the most elite unit within the Kingdom of Mongo. They are chosen from both the Warriors and the Nobility, those who are deemed either incredibly talented, powerful, fast, loyal or intelligent. Oftentimes they are chosen as children after displaying the necessary characteristics of a potential Guardsman. They are indoctrinated regardless of age and will spend their entire lives preparing and training to protect the King. They are taught that their King is virtually a God, they will lay down their lives for him in suicidal charges if it is asked. They are not allowed to have families or connections outside of the Royal Guard, however they may still have children via concubines or otherwise. They are paid the most and given the best equipment, but sacrifice their freedom for it. Royal Guardmen who are cast out of the Guard will quickly find themselves among the Cattlemen, that is as Cannon-Fodder. After about the age of 45, a Guardsmen is lowered to the rank of Noble, however this is seen as highly honorable since they have completed many years of loyal service. They will serve as a Noble for another five years and can then fully retire from Military Service.
- 3,924 Noble Warriors | The Nobility are made up of talented or professional Warriors hailing from several distinct clans, which are favored by the King for their Military Prowess. They own land throughout the Kingdom and are responsible for the collection of taxes and for repressing potential revolts. When the King calls them to service they make up the second Elite group of soldiers and can be expected to fight viciously during any battle. They are expected to pay for their own equipment and supplies however this is usually acceptable. Generally they have varied equipment, some even have firearms from Europeans. One is no longer considered a Noble after the age of 50. After they reach this age they are retired and will pass on control of their land and property to their sons or relatives.
- 45,780 Warriors | Warriors are a step up from Commoners. They make up both the police force and the standard military troops for the Kingdom of Mongo. Being selected as a Warrior is considered a good thing within many villages and towns and cities. They receive small but adequate pay and also double as tax collectors. They owe their allegiance firstly to the King and secondly to the Noble who is employing them. Warriors can be expected to give a decent effort but can still lose heart and run if the situation is deemed desperate. There are about 11 Warriors for every Noble.
- 53,628 Cattlemen | Cattlemen are effectively levies, if one compared them to the average man on a Medieval Battlefield. They can be raised at will and are often used to quell uprisings and such, or be used as Cannon-Fodder against enemies. They do not receive pay unless they are raised to fight, in which case they are given little more than what is required to live. They are compensated for this by the right to pillage a battlefield following a fight. Warriors and above are not allowed to do this, except to receive items of considerable wealth. The Cattlemen can keep whatever they pillage, within reason. They cannot be expected to hold out for long against a determined enemy, they are in it for the glory and the loot, that is all.
Size of Economy: Varies, there is enough activity that the Kingdom is wealthy, at least by African Kingdom standards. They frequently trade with tribes to the south and north.
Economic Stability: Strong, relative to other African Kingdoms.
Other: Alternate Reality, effectively a single Mongo tribe was capable of uniting all its nearby Kingdoms around the year 1779. They established a more centralized Kingdom and have managed it well thus far.
The Empire of Yokotari is a Alternate Nation of the person who rules over The Frozen Forest, it is purposely mean to not represent my personal views, and is meant to mimic a Japanese Empire-esque state. I have no intention of letting it fade away and i intend to develop it. If you want to interact with it shoot me a telegram either through this nation or The Frozen Forest.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:55 am

Could you edit the claims map? I am expanding into Ethiopia, and have fully colonized Somalia and Djibouti.

Vultuca
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Scramble for Africa [1880s-1910s][OOC][Sign-Up]

Postby Vultuca » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Tosia wrote:
Vultuca wrote:Nation Name: United Provinces of Rio De La Plata
Real Life Country(Location): Argentina Paraguay and Uruguay
Economic System: Capitalist
Ideology: Peronism & Capitalism
Form of Government: Full Presidental representative democratic republic
Population: 2.569 Million
Military Power: Decently Good
Size of Economy:
Economic Stability: Pretty Stable
Other:

Approved! Lets see how a south American nations fairs against the europeans,asians and Dixie

Aye thanks!

Viva the Motherland!

Draos
Minister

Founded: May 25, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Draos » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm

has anyone actually heard from Canada since he applied?
Prime Minister and former Foreign Minister of Union of Free Nations
Draosians are a species of Gigantic Reptilian extra-terrestrials resembling Bipedal monitor lizards standing at an average of 8 feet tall and weighing around 450 pounds

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Republic of America » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:37 pm

Can someone RP as the Empire of Japan since Neo Galactic Empire is dropping out?

Robosia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Robosia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Could I maybe change my population? I think I made it a little to low.
Some people design their sigs as a work of art, with links and colors and complex coding. To which I say...

ACN - Antarctica Continental News | British cargo ship sinks just off Ellsworth coast, water tastes like tea for three days | 10 timber wolves brought into Sanctum City zoo.

Crimetopolis
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

OOC:

Postby Crimetopolis » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Can I have Mozambique?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse