NATION

PASSWORD

The Island (OPEN OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Nuridia wrote:Does the island have a leader? Like, who’s running things?

Well... that's something we don't know.

When I started this thread, and thus made the first character (Seraphina) I was going to have her as a monarch of sorts- of a Principality (so she'd be a Princess) but I decided I'd get more people to join and thus to play with if I left the position open to someone else. Additionally, the last time I played a Dragon Ruler (one Elenor) I was- well- stuck in one location and didn't get out much to interact with anyone directly. Interestingly no one has opted to be Mayor though we do have a Townhall.
S i t k a wrote:

I think there's a town council or something, but I'm not certain. I know it's a colony of foreign nation, but said nation doesn't seem to interfere much.

Yeah... I think the term is 'semi-autonomous' so... there has to be some position over Mayor but not appointed 'so not a governor' .... Something... maybe it's like- Maryland under it's first charter... or something. We know Hethaplan (Hetapa- het- *looks it up* Hetrana discovered the land. Ah here we go some background;

Hetrana is a moderate colonial power, with 5 holdings on the east coast of the Western Continent. Shortly after the area's charting by Hetran explorers two hundred years ago, then-Kaiser Markolf I divided it into five seperate entities, each ruled by and named for one of his children. From north to south, these are Maximilian, Wilhelmina, Emanuel, Leopold, and Marcel. The Kaiser's eldest child, Markolf II, remained in Hetrana to be his eventual successor. Realizing the impracticality of directly ruling territory two months' travel away, the Kaiser made them independent nations in their own right, loyal to their Hetran homeland. Collectively they were known as the Colonial Principalities. Their new dynasties took as surnames the name's of their first rulers, listed above. Over time these nations became more democratic and devolved more authority to their subjects, essentially becoming crowned republics. As a result, they are now known as the Colonial Republics.

Around the same time that these colonies were established, Hetrana established what they hoped to be a permanent settlement on the island; this was to be a more direct colony, and was treated like any other state ruled by a noble family, in this case the Schrade family, which came from a long line of explorers and thinkers. Due to poor harvests and illness, the settlement did not thrive, and was finally disbanded following a monstrous hurricane, much like the one that hit the island a month before the start of this roleplay. Plans were made to reestablish a presence there, but following Hetrana's withdrawal, the island was quickly annexed by Marinea. Marinea is Hetrana's neighbor to the south, and the two kingdoms have long been bitter rivals.

So from the looks of things we where going to be under the Schrade family but that didn't work out (Oh OH *realizing the ghost connection*) so the Island it seems has become- a bit like the Falklands ... maybe- part of Marinea but not really governed by it directly though surely they must have some permanent presence in that case.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Harbertia wrote:

Well... that's something we don't know.

When I started this thread, and thus made the first character (Seraphina) I was going to have her as a monarch of sorts- of a Principality (so she'd be a Princess) but I decided I'd get more people to join and thus to play with if I left the position open to someone else. Additionally, the last time I played a Dragon Ruler (one Elenor) I was- well- stuck in one location and didn't get out much to interact with anyone directly. Interestingly no one has opted to be Mayor though we do have a Townhall.
S i t k a wrote:I think there's a town council or something, but I'm not certain. I know it's a colony of foreign nation, but said nation doesn't seem to interfere much.

Yeah... I think the term is 'semi-autonomous' so... there has to be some position over Mayor but not appointed 'so not a governor' .... Something... maybe it's like- Maryland under it's first charter... or something. We know Hethaplan (Hetapa- het- *looks it up* Hetrana discovered the land. Ah here we go some background;

Hetrana is a moderate colonial power, with 5 holdings on the east coast of the Western Continent. Shortly after the area's charting by Hetran explorers two hundred years ago, then-Kaiser Markolf I divided it into five seperate entities, each ruled by and named for one of his children. From north to south, these are Maximilian, Wilhelmina, Emanuel, Leopold, and Marcel. The Kaiser's eldest child, Markolf II, remained in Hetrana to be his eventual successor. Realizing the impracticality of directly ruling territory two months' travel away, the Kaiser made them independent nations in their own right, loyal to their Hetran homeland. Collectively they were known as the Colonial Principalities. Their new dynasties took as surnames the name's of their first rulers, listed above. Over time these nations became more democratic and devolved more authority to their subjects, essentially becoming crowned republics. As a result, they are now known as the Colonial Republics.

Around the same time that these colonies were established, Hetrana established what they hoped to be a permanent settlement on the island; this was to be a more direct colony, and was treated like any other state ruled by a noble family, in this case the Schrade family, which came from a long line of explorers and thinkers. Due to poor harvests and illness, the settlement did not thrive, and was finally disbanded following a monstrous hurricane, much like the one that hit the island a month before the start of this roleplay. Plans were made to reestablish a presence there, but following Hetrana's withdrawal, the island was quickly annexed by Marinea. Marinea is Hetrana's neighbor to the south, and the two kingdoms have long been bitter rivals.

So from the looks of things we where going to be under the Schrade family but that didn't work out (Oh OH *realizing the ghost connection*) so the Island it seems has become- a bit like the Falklands ... maybe- part of Marinea but not really governed by it directly though surely they must have some permanent presence in that case.

Well it would make sense to be a sort of self governing colony of Marinea. We know it has a private milltia led my yours truly that enforces it´s law and we know it has laws and a town hall so my guess a sort of democratic system. Maybe a town council or some sort of mayor/governor. Someone may want to make an app based on that.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Andsed wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Well... that's something we don't know.

Well it would make sense to be a sort of self governing colony of Marinea. We know it has a private milltia led my yours truly that enforces it´s law and we know it has laws and a town hall so my guess a sort of democratic system. Maybe a town council or some sort of mayor/governor. Someone may want to make an app based on that.

This makes sense due to the 'Crowned Republics' - one could say the 'republic' has outlasted the crown? That since it was in place it just stuck around in exchange for loyalty to Marinea.
Tomorrow is made today.

S i t k a
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Andsed wrote:Well it would make sense to be a sort of self governing colony of Marinea. We know it has a private milltia led my yours truly that enforces it´s law and we know it has laws and a town hall so my guess a sort of democratic system. Maybe a town council or some sort of mayor/governor. Someone may want to make an app based on that.

This makes sense due to the 'Crowned Republics' - one could say the 'republic' has outlasted the crown? That since it was in place it just stuck around in exchange for loyalty to Marinea.

I don't think Marinea is one of the crowned republics. Those are Hetrana's 'colonies'. Or did you mean something else?
Last edited by S i t k a on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The United Settlements of Sitka - the land of friendly vampires, camaraderie, and cloudberry pie
A small corner of the world in 1872. Set in the world of the video game 80 Days, with supernatural beings mixed in. Several factbooks need to be redone.
I'm socially awkward sometimes, and bad at keeping up with things due to life's hecticness, so I might not always be the best at roleplays etc.
The Times: Englishman Phileas Fogg departs London, having bet £20,000 that he can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days.
Local News: Karl Marx visits Sitka, is "impressed".

Ask questions about this strange place! ---- Make the Ram's Head Saloon great again!

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:18 pm

S i t k a wrote:
Harbertia wrote:This makes sense due to the 'Crowned Republics' - one could say the 'republic' has outlasted the crown? That since it was in place it just stuck around in exchange for loyalty to Marinea.

I don't think Marinea is one of the crowned republics. Those are Hetrana's 'colonies'. Or did you mean something else?

part one: This makes sense due to the 'Crowned Republics' - the island had a form of lower republican governmental system such as the townhall

Part two: one could say the 'republic' has outlasted the crown? - the monsterious hurricane cut off that family's arrival

Part three: That since it was in place it just stuck around in exchange for loyalty to Marinea. - Since the lower government was already established and functioning preparing to welcome the governing prince it was the government that agreed to annexation by Marinea thus making this territory a semi-autonomous island as progress towards a more direct rule has yet to be made (no Marinea govenor, island militia- free one at that, etc.
Tomorrow is made today.

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Harbertia wrote:
S i t k a wrote:I don't think Marinea is one of the crowned republics. Those are Hetrana's 'colonies'. Or did you mean something else?

part one: This makes sense due to the 'Crowned Republics' - the island had a form of lower republican governmental system such as the townhall

Part two: one could say the 'republic' has outlasted the crown? - the monsterious hurricane cut off that family's arrival

Part three: That since it was in place it just stuck around in exchange for loyalty to Marinea. - Since the lower government was already established and functioning preparing to welcome the governing prince it was the government that agreed to annexation by Marinea thus making this territory a semi-autonomous island as progress towards a more direct rule has yet to be made (no Marinea govenor, island militia- free one at that, etc.

The Schrade family wasn't coming to take over the island again, just to retrieve property and records from their old manor house.

I'm not sure if I'm following everything here or not.
The United Settlements of Sitka - the land of friendly vampires, camaraderie, and cloudberry pie
A small corner of the world in 1872. Set in the world of the video game 80 Days, with supernatural beings mixed in. Several factbooks need to be redone.
I'm socially awkward sometimes, and bad at keeping up with things due to life's hecticness, so I might not always be the best at roleplays etc.
The Times: Englishman Phileas Fogg departs London, having bet £20,000 that he can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days.

Ask questions about this strange place! ---- Make the Ram's Head Saloon great again!

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:47 pm

S i t k a wrote:
Harbertia wrote:part one: This makes sense due to the 'Crowned Republics' - the island had a form of lower republican governmental system such as the townhall

The Schrade family wasn't coming to take over the island again, just to retrieve property and records from their old manor house.

I'm not sure if I'm following everything here or not.

I think I'm the one not following everything. *tries to find what you are referencing*

Ah I see.

Shortly after her 17th birthday, she and her parents departed by ship for the island. The island had originally been colonized by Hetrana two centuries ago, but this initial attempt at settlement did not thrive due to illness poor harvests. An unusually powerful hurricane put the final nail in the coffin, forcing the evacuation of the island's remaining residents after it had been inhabited for barely a decade. The Schrade family had been in charge of the colony, and were now sailing to reclaim any belongings and records that might remain in the old manor house, with the permission of the government of Marinea. Marinea had taken control of the island shortly after Hetrana's withdrawal, and is Hetrana's bitter rival, explaining why such a voyage had not been undertaken years earlier. Serena, of course, jumped at her parents' invitation to join them.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:20 pm

I think Seraphina has learned how to be cunning through having to find some weakness in her father. It's obviously that it's taken a good long time for her to start thinking of other solutions then what worked the first time she succeeded but she is just a little young one. She hasn't even considered the prospect of well- there are ways this can fail as an attempt. I see a lot of potential interactions in the RP between her, her father, and other characters. I look forward to her being able to share thoughts she doesn't express to her father- for her to have someone to confide to. I think her father and her are going to have quit the dynamic relationship- or rather a very detailed one.
Last edited by Harbertia on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Made a slight edit to the Hetrana post. I decided to have the colonies remain monarchies instead of becoming more republican.

For now I'm just waiting until White Bluff posts a response to Serena. By the way, their mermaid doesn't seem to be in the characters list.
Last edited by S i t k a on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:39 pm

S i t k a wrote:Made a slight edit to the Hetrana post. I decided to have the colonies remain monarchies instead of becoming more republican.

For now I'm just waiting until White Bluff posts a response to Serena. By the way, their mermaid doesn't seem to be in the characters list.

Thank you for reminding me I'll add them now.
Tomorrow is made today.

Whalestron
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Whalestron » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Huckleberry

More commonly referred to as Huck by the locals of the island, Huckleberry is a border collie puppy who was abandoned by his family to be a stray on the streets. He grew up normally enough, friendly and innocently begging for scraps of food. Though the dog had grown older, he remained identical personality-wise to the puppy he’d always acted. That is until one day he stumbled upon a squeaky toy. Unbeknownst to him, the toy was infested by a demonic entity that intended to possess him.

Huck was easy to corrupt, his soul was latched onto by the demon and was quickly followed by his body. The demon was in full control of him, and reveled in the glory of it all. Huckleberry had been the only one gullible enough to give in to the temptations the demon had attempted to use on other occupants of the island.

Though he was in control, the demon had difficulty working the body. He’d almost died due to his lack of knowledge of breathing, nearly starved, and had to learn to walk as if he were a baby. Along with these things he’d brought powers such as dark magic and the ability to speak the human lexicon. Huckleberry was not only a malicious entity of evil and chaos now, but he was operating with a dog's instincts. This meant if someone were to throw a stick, he’d chase it down without a second thought. If someone fed him, he wouldn’t tear their limbs off.

The demon-dog intends to rule over the island. At least, once he can convince anyone with some kind of power to lend a hand to his cause.

Fixed I hope

Shark isle
Senator

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shark isle » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Would i be able to make a character similar to Tarzan, except he became "civilized and lives in the wilderness as a trapper?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Whalestron wrote:
Huckleberry

More commonly referred to as Huck by the locals of the island, Huckleberry is a border collie puppy who was abandoned by his family to be a stray on the streets. He grew up normally enough, friendly and innocently begging for scraps of food. Though the dog had grown older, he remained identical personality-wise to the puppy he’d always acted. That is until one day he stumbled upon a squeaky toy. Unbeknownst to him, the toy was infested by a demonic entity that intended to possess him.

Huck was easy to corrupt, his soul was latched onto by the demon and was quickly followed by his body. The demon was in full control of him, and reveled in the glory of it all. Huckleberry had been the only one gullible enough to give in to the temptations the demon had attempted to use on other occupants of the island.

Though he was in control, the demon had difficulty working the body. He’d almost died due to his lack of knowledge of breathing, nearly starved, and had to learn to walk as if he were a baby. Along with these things he’d brought powers such as dark magic and the ability to speak the human lexicon. Huckleberry was not only a malicious entity of evil and chaos now, but he was operating with a dog's instincts. This meant if someone were to throw a stick, he’d chase it down without a second thought. If someone fed him, he wouldn’t tear their limbs off.

The demon-dog intends to rule over the island. At least, once he can convince anyone with some kind of power to lend a hand to his cause.

Fixed I hope

hmm... a bit humorously antagonistic ya? ... you... really don't have to be a possessed dog to speak. Perhaps the product of some magic spell- an 'enchance mind' for example? Googia's character (Terry) is the result of a magical laboratory experiment.
Last edited by Harbertia on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:53 pm

This might not be a character I actually end up using, but I thought she could be an interesting part of the world's religious lore. Aguta, if I remember correctly, is Inuit for 'gatherer of the dead'.

Aguta

Aguta is one of the deities that has existed since the world's beginning. Like her fellow deities, she created one of the world's races in her image, in her case vampires. She is the goddess of death, and is responsible for transporting souls of the deceased to either Heaven or Hell, though it is not her job to judge which. Originally a malevolent, almost feral being, she has formed a personality and soul of her own over the uncountable years. Over the eons, she has developed sympathy for the people who's souls she takes, and has let those who aren't ready for the afterlife remain on Earth, as well as people bound for Hell that she thinks can still improve themselves. It is for this reason that there are ghosts in the world today.

Most faiths view Aguta (or her equivalent in faiths that do not worship the true deities) as ambivalent or malevolent, a view that was more true in the distant past than now. Vampires, on the other hand, often worship her, as she is the only deity they can pray to without being harmed due to their unholy nature. Wraith vampires are often seen as being her direct descendants or as created especially in her image.
Last edited by S i t k a on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Shark isle wrote:Would i be able to make a character similar to Tarzan, except he became "civilized and lives in the wilderness as a trapper?

I think so but I'll have to see it first. Reminds me that I did make that short article on Tarzan's father.
Tomorrow is made today.

Shark isle
Senator

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shark isle » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:20 pm

My character ended up getting civilized by one of the island's residents. Does anyone want to be his teacher icly?

Nuridia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuridia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Shark isle wrote:My character ended up getting civilized by one of the island's residents. Does anyone want to be his teacher icly?

I’ll do it since I got no other interactions atm.
Uru, Queen of Diamonds.
The Diamond card suit represents fire, strength and power. Sister of the Queen of Hearts, Queen of Spades and the Queen of Clubs.

Whalestron
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Whalestron » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Whalestron wrote:
Huckleberry

Fixed I hope

hmm... a bit humorously antagonistic ya? ... you... really don't have to be a possessed dog to speak. Perhaps the product of some magic spell- an 'enchance mind' for example? Googia's character (Terry) is the result of a magical laboratory experiment.

Ooh I like that! I’ll go in and re-edit it again

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Whalestron wrote:
Harbertia wrote:hmm... a bit humorously antagonistic ya? ... you... really don't have to be a possessed dog to speak. Perhaps the product of some magic spell- an 'enchance mind' for example? Googia's character (Terry) is the result of a magical laboratory experiment.

Ooh I like that! I’ll go in and re-edit it again

^_^
Tomorrow is made today.

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Still waiting for White Bluff to respond to my post... maybe I should do something else with Serena? I know I shouldn't be impatient, but I wish I could actually have her interact with somebody.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:43 pm

S i t k a wrote:Still waiting for White Bluff to respond to my post... maybe I should do something else with Serena? I know I shouldn't be impatient, but I wish I could actually have her interact with somebody.

Message White Bluff- maybe just as I overlooked Strala's post perhaps White Bluff missed your post.
Tomorrow is made today.

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Harbertia wrote:
S i t k a wrote:Still waiting for White Bluff to respond to my post... maybe I should do something else with Serena? I know I shouldn't be impatient, but I wish I could actually have her interact with somebody.

Message White Bluff- maybe just as I overlooked Strala's post perhaps White Bluff missed your post.

Good idea. Since the post was directed at someone else before I edited it, they probably did.

Whalestron
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Whalestron » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Huckleberry

More commonly referred to as Huck by the locals of the island, Huckleberry is a border collie puppy who was abandoned by his family to be a stray on the streets. He grew up normally enough, friendly and innocently begging for scraps of food. Though the dog had grown older, he began to grow somewhat more aggressive to the more distasteful populous of the island. His anger towards them increased when some lady had kicked him as he walked along the street. He’d followed her back to her home where he smelled something absolutely tantalizing.

Huck investigated the source of the smell only to find a delicious slab of meat waiting for someone to devour it just sitting on the counter. He, of course, did just that. The woman entered the room to see this and, furious as she was, lay a spell on him. She’d given him the gift (or curse) of intelligence, being able to speak like the humans did. It was for no other purpose than to force him to apologize, but the dog hadn’t exactly been eager to do that. He hightailed it out of there, heading straight for the streets.

Though it had been months since the incident, Huckleberry had begun antagonizing people whenever he felt it would suit him and soothe his boredom or nefarious purposes. The dog intends to rule over the island. At least, once he can convince anyone with some kind of power to lend a hand to his cause.

I hope it’s better now

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:35 pm

Whalestron wrote:
Huckleberry

More commonly referred to as Huck by the locals of the island, Huckleberry is a border collie puppy who was abandoned by his family to be a stray on the streets. He grew up normally enough, friendly and innocently begging for scraps of food. Though the dog had grown older, he began to grow somewhat more aggressive to the more distasteful populous of the island. His anger towards them increased when some lady had kicked him as he walked along the street. He’d followed her back to her home where he smelled something absolutely tantalizing.

Huck investigated the source of the smell only to find a delicious slab of meat waiting for someone to devour it just sitting on the counter. He, of course, did just that. The woman entered the room to see this and, furious as she was, lay a spell on him. She’d given him the gift (or curse) of intelligence, being able to speak like the humans did. It was for no other purpose than to force him to apologize, but the dog hadn’t exactly been eager to do that. He hightailed it out of there, heading straight for the streets.

Though it had been months since the incident, Huckleberry had begun antagonizing people whenever he felt it would suit him and soothe his boredom or nefarious purposes. The dog intends to rule over the island. At least, once he can convince anyone with some kind of power to lend a hand to his cause.

I hope it’s better now

Somehow it seems even worse
Last edited by Harbertia on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Whalestron
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Whalestron » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:52 pm

Harbertia wrote:Somehow it seems even worse

But no I do understand what you mean I think that I intended for him to be some evil thingy who’d try to ruin people’s lives? I dunno, I liked the last version better than this one by far but eh, it’s whatever I’ll phase myself into the shadow realm.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse