NATION

PASSWORD

1900: Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC-OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Resurgent Exiles
Secretary

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Resurgent Exiles » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 am

post is up

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:00 am

Apologies for disappearing; my post needs severe editing because of an error my doc thing had.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:31 am

Well, the roleplay is still here, we aren't going anywhere.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Krugmar
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krugmar » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:24 am

I am still here, will try to get a post up w/ reply for Sweden either tonight or tomorrow.
Liec made me tell you to consider Kylaris

Angora Guanaco
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Angora Guanaco » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Angora Guanaco wrote:
Full Nation Name : Federated States of Australia and New Zealand
Majority/Official Culture : Australian
Territorial Core : [[place where you have absolute control over]] Australia and New Zealand minus the Northern Territory and Queensland
Territorial Claim : Queensland, the Northern Territory,
Capital City : Canberra
Population : Approximately 7 million

Government Type : Parliamentary Republic
Government Ideology/Policies : Independence, Protectionism
Government Focus : Continuing liberal reform in the country, the economy
Head of State : President Chris Watson
Head of Government : Prime Minister Edmund Barton
Government Description : Australia and New Zealand operates under a parliamentary republic which means that the President, while the head of state officially, has hardly any real power. The Prime Minister, as leader of the Government is the true leader of the country.

Government is formed by the party that has a majority in the House of Representatives (the lower house). Currently the Protectionist Party has a majority, with 39 seats to the Labour Party’s 20 and the Free Trade Party’s 14 with 2 Independent members. The Senate (the upper house) has 36 seats, the Protectionists holding 15, Labour holding 11, Free Trade holding 7 and Independents making up the other 3.

All white men and women can vote in all states, as long as they are over 21.

Majority/State Religion : Anglican is the biggest religious denomination, and there is no state religion
Religious Description : 40% Anglican, 23% Catholic, 34% other Christian <1% non-Christian

Economic Ideologies : Capitalism
Major Production : Livestock, wool, gold, natural resources, manufactured goods
Economic Description : Australia is a mostly agricultural nation with large swathes of land devoted to farming, and as such, it’s main export is wool. But the main population centres are pretty formidably industrialised and mining is also a large industry. The government is fairly protectionist so there are tariffs on a good deal of foreign imports.

Development: Semi-Industrialised
Development Description : In and around the main population centres, Australia is pretty industrialised, but outside of there, it is quite underdeveloped. And there is a lot of stuff outside the main cities. Like, a lot.

Army Description : 200,000 men serve in the Australian and New Zealand Army. They are well trained and well equipped for combat. Unlike many other nations, Australia has no royalty or real corruption issues, so it’s officers have to earn their place. But Australia is a young nation and has no experience of warfare and so many of the officers are quite inexperienced.
Army Weakness : Australia’s small manpower pool and somewhat limited manufacturing capacity are the biggest weaknesses in it’s army. As such, without allies it will almost certainly lose a protracted war.
Naval Description : Australia maintains a smallish but modern navy, lead by the battlecruiser Australia.
Naval Weakness : Again, like the rest of the military, the navy is untested in combat situations and so are the commanders.
Further Military Description : Australia trains some units specially for desert combat, and the most renowned of those is the 1st Light Horse. Moving on horses and fighting on foot, this unit is the one all young men aspire to join.

National Goals : To maintain independence and sovereignty from the Japanese menace, to gain control over Queensland and the Northern Territory
National Issues :

History :

- 1728 Australia colonised by Great Britain, the First Fleet landing in Port Jackson on the 30th of August. The Colony of New South Wales is formed.

-1735 A treaty is signed with the Aboriginal tribes near Sydney that gives them the rights of a British citizen (excluding voting) but Britain sovregnity over their lands. This treaty is offered to all new tribes encountered, with most accepting it.

- 1750 Settlement established in New Zealand. Using the framework of the Treaty used in Australia, a treaty is offered to the Maori chiefs. Most accept, but some refuse, and Britain uses force to get them to sign. New Zealand is formed as a colony.

-1800 After almost 70 years of expanding New South Wales with new cities, Britain splits it into several separate colonies: Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and New South Wales. The Same is done for New Zealand, splitting it into North Island and South Island
(by now most of Australia is colonised, including all IRL major cities)
- 1850 Australia and New Zealand federate! The Australian and New Zealand Constitution is created and comes into effect on the 24th of March, uniting the colonies under the one flag for the first time. The site for the new capital, Canberra is chosen.

- 1880 In a surge of nationalist sentiment, Australia and New Zealand decide to split from the British Empire. Britain, not wanting to fight a protracted war in far-off lands for a rebellious colony they would need to subjugate, accepted their independence.

- 1896 After a long struggle, for rights, women are given the right to vote.

RP Sample:
[url]https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=432885&p=33186577#p33186577
[/url]
#AltDiv (do not delete this, it's for keeping track of the apps)

#AltDiv (do not delete this, it's for keeping track of the apps)
My app!
feedback appreciated

Sorry about being so insistent, but could somebody review my app? its been up for a while
i failed biology :(

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:16 am

Angora Guanaco wrote:Federated States of Australia and New Zealand

Alright, there are some points that I must address.

• A small aesthetic request - please remove the parentheses there.
  • The biggest "issue" so far is related to Britain. We currently do not have one, and while we have a player working on an app, due to real life issues, he might be unable to finish it in the near future. This puts your entire British history under a big question mark, but the reason for why I used scare quotes is that this roleplay does have a history of paradoxes. So if when the time comes you will be unwilling to change your nation in order to fit the reality of the British state that would have colonized you, then there is a chance that the OP board might allow your differences to exist as a paradoxes, even if I'd personally like to avoid that - and there isn't much to do about it right now.
  • The biggest actual problem is related to parts of your history. According to real life history, the colonists in Australia fought countless frontier wars with the aboriginal people all the way up to 1934, with tens of thousands of casualties, especially on the side of the natives. A similar conflict happened in real life between 1845 and 1872 in New Zealand. As such, it's difficult for me to believe your history. Why would the aboriginals have been given British citizenship? How would the tribes have accepted such a treaty, and why would they? The idea of British citizenship would have meant nothing to them, and most of them would have overwhelmingly refused to bow to the colonists.. like pretty much all natives did everywhere in the world. Claiming that most tribes would have submitted without a fight is unrealistic - your people would have had to fight against the natives for a long time, and small conflicts would exist to this day if we are to look at how this happened in real life. Same would have happened in New Zealand, in order to force them to accept, the British colonists would have had to fight.
  • Also, you need to work on your independence. While I'm not familiar with the idea of Australian nationalism, I believe that in real life, most Australian nationalists didn't want to break the ties with Britain. Still, even if we assume that such an independence movement would have existed here, we need a lot more details about it and how it developed, more than just mentioning a surge of nationalism. The independence movement would have either had to rebel or to take over the colony's government, and there is no word of what the supporters of independence would have done against Australian loyalists (even the Thirteen Colonies had loyalists in their independence war). Also, I find it difficult to believe that Britain would have ignored such a rebellion. Australia isn't a far-off land, but it's the key to British influence in South-East Asia and in Oceania. It would be important, so you need to find a good reason for why Britain would have refused to fight.
  • And another mention, and how and why can women vote? The first nation to give women the rights to vote was Finland, in 1907, followed by other nations in 1913 but most countries only gave voting rights to women in the interwar era. The idea of Australia giving women the rights to vote could work (though, I have to research this issue more), but you need to explain it well and that would mean that you'd have a pretty strong feminist movement.
  • The army should be reduced by a little. In times of peace, the general convention is that the nation should have a standing army of between 1% and 2%, 200,000 is nearly 3% of your population. If we also take into account the idea that it's made up by men, then it's a pretty big number that would weigh down on your economy. I'd personally go for a standing army of 70,000 to 80,000 and I'd also add some paramilitary semi-formal militia forces.
  • As for your RP Sample - you should fix that url code, but the sample itself doesn't help me a lot, I'm afraid. It's from a character roleplay - we'd need one from a nation roleplay to properly understand your ability. But the bigger question is whether you are willing to write bigger posts. Nation roleplays tend to have bigger posts than character roleplays, so you'll need to create posts with at least a couple consistent paragraphs.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Angora Guanaco
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Angora Guanaco » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:50 pm

Before I start re-doing my app, I’d just like clarify about my RP sample. I really don’t have any nation RP samples thati could use here. I understand that means i probably can’t get a place in this RP, and that’s fine, but I’d just like that cleared up before I re-apply.

Also I’m pretty sure New Zealand gave women the right to vote in 1893 and Australia in 1902 (some states earlier).

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:09 am

Angora Guanaco wrote:Before I start re-doing my app, I’d just like clarify about my RP sample. I really don’t have any nation RP samples thati could use here. I understand that means i probably can’t get a place in this RP, and that’s fine, but I’d just like that cleared up before I re-apply.

Also I’m pretty sure New Zealand gave women the right to vote in 1893 and Australia in 1902 (some states earlier).

It's not like that. We all have to start from somewhere. As long as you are willing to put some effort into your app and into your posts then there will be no problem. We have a lot of experienced players around here, so there are many things that you can learn.

But in order to post in the IC, you will have to write larger and more detailed posts than before - that's necessary no matter of how you''ll choose the describe the actions of your nation - objectively or through the help of characters. But if you want to do that, then we'll be more than happy to help.

As for that.. my bad. I was looking at it from a European perspective and that's why I had Finland in mind.

Angora Guanaco
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Angora Guanaco » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Angora Guanaco wrote:Before I start re-doing my app, I’d just like clarify about my RP sample. I really don’t have any nation RP samples thati could use here. I understand that means i probably can’t get a place in this RP, and that’s fine, but I’d just like that cleared up before I re-apply.

It's not like that. We all have to start from somewhere. As long as you are willing to put some effort into your app and into your posts then there will be no problem. We have a lot of experienced players around here, so there are many things that you can learn.

But in order to post in the IC, you will have to write larger and more detailed posts than before - that's necessary no matter of how you''ll choose the describe the actions of your nation - objectively or through the help of characters. But if you want to do that, then we'll be more than happy to help.

As for that.. my bad. I was looking at it from a European perspective and that's why I had Finland in mind.

Ok, when I post in the IC thread I'll try to make my posts as long as required. Thanks for the feedback, I'll go back over my app and try fix it up. It should be up again in a couple days.

Resurgent Exiles
Secretary

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Resurgent Exiles » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:16 pm

The roleplay has died then I assume.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:57 am

Resurgent Exiles wrote:The roleplay has died then I assume.

We're still hoping to resuscitate it.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:42 am

Resurgent Exiles wrote:The roleplay has died then I assume.

The roleplay is certainly dead right now, but as Ty has said, we're not abandoning it. The OP board is still discussion what we'll do exactly but we will do our best to bring it back to life.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 am

o o f

Sorry for just droppin off outta no where bois. Hope this comes back

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse