NATION

PASSWORD

The Legends of Eroris: Brotherhood [IC/Fantasy Medieval]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Alyndel the Gilded
The Room of the Inn
Day After the Fight

They had won the battle. The enemy was driven off. Many lay dead, some captured, others on their way into the wilderness. Alyndel's sword was glued to his hand in sticky dry blood. His shield would need cleaning and some hammering, as well as his armor, but it would be easy to deal with. He could just give it to the armorer. He has several wounds upon him, including the one just above his hip. A healer was knelt down beside him, her hands over the wound healing it with magic. She was invaluable, and Alyndel thanked her when she was finished. Healers should be easier to find in these bloody years, but it only got harder to find one. The Red Gauntlet got a couple, since it had gained much prestige. His fellow mercenaries stalked the battlefield, giving their mercies to the irrevocably dying, and praying to Sokva. Alyndel turned around, inspecting his fallen comrades, eyeing Jerold, the boy that was felled just several minutes before. A healer was trying hard, but they needed their magical strength for those that could be saved. At this point it would only prolong the suffering of the dying inevitable. Alyndel walked over to Jerold, Leuen was holding the boy on his lap, his hands in Jerold's armpits, keeping him from rolling over. Jerold was pale in the face and shaking wildly, staring into the azure sky as clouds passed by. "Wars are for men, and sometimes women. Today, boy, there was scarce a way you could have done better. Let those anxious thoughts go. Today you are a man. We all wish there was another way for you to have earned your manhood, but we are proud of you," said Alyndel. He knew that Jerold wanted desperately to be grown-up. He could not deny the loss of innocence, especially not now. He wanted the boy to go to Sokva without fear.
Jerold tried to speak, but coughed, spitting up the blood leaking from his mouth. "Tell my mother that I regret leaving her, but I went forward and did what I thought was right. Tell her to keep Lorrie and Harren on the farm." Tears slid down from his eyes and his shaking grew stiller and stiller.
"I shall hold a sword to Darath's throat if I must, but we shall visit your mother. You have my word."
"And mine," said Darath, behind Alyndel, staring directly into Jarold's eyes, his jaw set and his eyes hard. The boy stopped shaking. "Alyndel," said Darath, still staring hard into Jerold's now lifeless eyes," I would like it if you did not think I was a lesser man." He walked away.

Alyndel woke up, his body sore. His head was less pained than he thought it would be. It seemed he could still see as well as ever. He looked about the room. His sword was propped against the wall. On the nightstand beside him was a note. He started to lift his arm but it was stiff. He kept lifting it, putting it out the side and rolling it around. When it could finally move relatively well, he grabbed the small piece of paper. It said how much needed to be paid to a healer named Assandra, and where he could submit his payment. He was in less pain than he ought to be so he would pay for services well-done. The stiffness would probably occur anyway, laying in bed for half a day, a night, and another half a day. The lord that had pummeled him...he had a few thoughts about that Nord, to say the least. The thoughts being what he could even remember at all. What he remembered was... well, admittedly pitiful. He had not had such an honest thought in a long time, not since before he had defeated that necromancer and received his high praises for a task much, much simpler than his liege's domain had thought it was.

Never before in his life had he even thought to push a beggar. When he was young, he had fought three older children when they began picking on an old beggar named Gil, short for something Alyndel could not remember. He had gotten his small ass kicked but they walked away afterward and never bothered Gil again. When he was young...he had not seen his family in about 120 years. Holy Shadowland, he had not seen his family in one-hundred and twenty years. There was no excuse for not doing so, not one. He could have visited them after the war, but he remained in the Red Gauntlet to fight and march, defeating bastions of resistance from the war. Darath did not need him, and he could return to the company after his journey. Then...oh lords, what had he been doing with himself? The faux-chivalry, the drunkenness, he had been wandering about with more than he could even afford. He was teetering on the very edge of ruin, of being an abject failure.

A memory from the war started to come into being in his mind, like rippling water becoming smooth. As it manifested Alyndel grappled the memory, remembering its outcome. It was a fortress. At least five hundred troops manned it. He was assaulting it, remembering the hail of arrows and stones, climbing the ladder to see a disorganized melee. He entered it and the battle on the walls became more organized, slaying the enemies upon the wall as enemy archers and slingers ran off the walls and shot their projectiles from the ground below. The battle would be surprisingly quick, and he had an arrow in the back of his lower leg, but he was fine.

Everything was sore, but Alyndel sat up eventually. He did his stretches, working everything out. Picking up the note again, he looked at the money he owed. Thirty coppers. He'd need to do a big job. He'd do it, because he needed to pay this, and he needed to visit whoever was left for him in Aarendell. His throat was dry. He grabbed his liquor container and stopped. Uncapping it, he drunk quickly and drunk enough to soothe his hoarse throat. Capping it, he set it back down on the table and put on his armor. He put his belt on and realized his sword would be dull after the Nord lord has threw it on the pavement. The whetstone was practically lost, but he found it under the night stand and sat down on the bed, remembering what the armorer of the Red Gauntlet had taught him all those decades ago. "Wet your blade. Oil and whetstone. If your sword was made well, then it will surely not fail you if you maintain it so." When he was finished Alyndel drew the sword across his finger, drawing blood, and he was satisfied. After cleaning the sword he picked up his shield and went out to his horse and prepared it to go.

There were several boards all across the city that the guards and those that needed aid used to post about quick, paying jobs. One was taking on a group of bandits at a outpost that they had built out of logs. It was interesting, and so he would take it up. It also paid fifty coppers. Alyndel drove his horse to a canter and made his way outside the city.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ithalian Empire » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Everhall wrote:
The Wise Council Chambers, the Ember Tower, Isnhrion

Prince Ruven and Prince Julek of the Ashen Empire

Ruven couldn't comprehend with the Nordic Jarl had just uttered. Does he expect me to just let him roam free?! Anger blinding his judgment, the Prince turned the Jarl, eyes burning with rage and growled, "Now is not the time for rest, Jarl Sorli, now is the time for action. You have no idea what this monster has taken from me! Not just today, but my entire life. You're right, rage and berserking should be left to Nords, but what I feel is no mere rage. It is pure, unadulterated wrath."

Julek had manipulated his brother before - He was nothing but predictable - but now here Ruven was, making a fool of himself before the people that represented all their ancestor's work, and Julek couldn't help but smirk as the sheer amusement of the situation. That was when, however, a lord, residing among the other Reachmen of the Council, stood and spoke out against him. This was his chance... "I see no problem with your logic Lord- whatever your name is. But you clearly don't know me, because I don't need to assassinate my brother early. He signed his death warrant the moment he chose not to stand down and allow me to ascend the throne without bloodshed. If anything..." Julek smirked slyly, "He could have arranged the whole thing himself."

The room broke into a discord of shouts and arguments, as members of the Wise Council began to yell out in favor of or against Julek even as Ruven looked on agape at what his brother had said, "You take..." Ruven growled, "your vile words back." Ruven reached for his sword.

"Why, brother?" Julek chuckled amongst the clamor, "Because it makes sense? You know you can't beat me; not in the Proving. So you frame me for the supposed 'murder' of your family. Who knows? Maybe you arranged for our poor father to get stabbed in the back."

Ruven had had enough. "Tanya," he turned to his guard commander, "arrest my brother."

"But, your grace-"

"DO IT." Ruven growled.

"Very well," Tanya saluted grimly, "Order, take Prince Julek into custody!" The Order of the Phoenix guards around Ruven drew their blades and began to surround Julek. One reached out to grab him, but he was quickly struck in the temple by an arrow from one of Julek's own Order of the Phoenix. The others in Ruven's guard turned to retaliate but were quickly stopped by a shield wall formed around the Prince.

"Be careful now, Tanya" Julek smirked, "We wouldn't want any more of your men to get hurt now, would you?" In response to the guard's death, all the people within the Council Chambers drew their swords in a similar fashion, the clamor of the arguments replaced by the screams of the dying soldier and the words of Prince Julek, "So this is considered justice in the Ashen Empire, huh?" he spoke, "A brother accusing another brother of murder in order to grab power for himself. It's despicable. Prince Ruven here doesn't care. Azelian didn't care. Countless destructive wars started by the careless actions of elves like my brother. Countless years and countless lives. So come brother," Julek looked towards Ruven, "make my day."

Silence reigned for ten tense seconds, both brothers glaring, eyes red or green, seeing who would slip next. It all ended, however, when their weapons and all the other arms carried by the men and women within the council were yanked from their hands, clattering on the floor. The doors to the Council Chambers then flew open as several armed guards entered the room bearing the symbol of the Varian family. On the shoulders of one of these guards leaned Potentate Lhoris, weakened as a result of the Arcane Fever.

"By the Gods," he cursed, "you all were about to start a war."

Heremond and Baldric Carcaster

Heremond tightened his fist as Julek addressed him. Julek was a sly and manipulative bastard, for nothing but a bastard he was to Heremond. Not even a true Ashen, conceived out of wedlock by the enamoris affairs of the late Emperor the damned elf had no claim to the throne other than his father decided to commit a grand sin before the divines and mare the wich who birthed him. He had half a mind to speak his thoughts out loud as the other lords began to argue with each other, some for Ruven others for Julek. In this chaos, Ruven ordered his brother arrested, and arrow peierced the air and hit a Guard in the temple.

Blood was spilled, tensions where high. Almost instinctively Heremonds hand went the sword on his hip. If a war was to start, let it start here, let it start now, Heremond Carcaster would be ready. However such things wouldn't happen, the blade was ripped from his hands by a strong and invisible force. The doors flew open to the chamber and the Potentate walked into the room, weak from the spell he had just cast.

Heremond was almost relieved that Lhoris had arrived when he did. Heremond's blood was still very much boiling, the tension was still on the room, but no more blood would be spilled in this room on this night as long as the Potentate was here. Tonight a war would not be waged, but Heremond had no doubt that a war was comeing. When or where he was uncertian, but if tonight was anything to go by, it would be soon.
Eat ,Drink, and be mary, for tomorrow we die.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

The poster licks five public door handles a day to compare there taste.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:22 am

Alyndel the Gilded
Road to the Bandit Camp
Several Miles Outside of Ishnrion

It was a remote outpost, but it was still a thorn in the capital city's side. Apparently a few bandit groups had gotten together under an orc, and had cut down several dozen trees and made themselves an outpost sitting up nice and tidy against a cliff above a lesser-traveled road. How the bandits cutting down so many trees didn't attract suspicion, he didn't know. But now they were a nuisance, and were threatening to get bigger. How Alyndel was going to do this himself, he didn't know, but he was sure the bandits had not thought out their fort's position thoroughly. There would have to be a fatal flaw.

What other information he could gather said that some ragtag bounty hunters, adventurers, and mercenaries were in a kind of siege with the bandit fort. When Alyndel came upon them, he had every urge to just stare at the odd bunch sitting around the camp. A Nord with random bits of armor chewing on mutton, a few fellow Mayaar dressed valiantly but looking utterly bored, and a Reachman in mage robes reading a tome. The three cliques were sitting away from each other, and they all stared at Alyndel as he rode in between them all upon his white horse. He couldn't see the bandit fort from where the camp was, not even from his horse, so he'd have to scout it. His horse wasn't armored as well as he was, so he'd have to tie it to a tree, but his life was carried upon this horse. Since he trusted these people as much as he trusted the bandits, he'd get down off his horse and he'd tie it just out of sight of the fort and away from these suspicious people.

Which is what he did. He walked a ways up, tied his horse, and started trying to scout the fort. All he had was rocks to hide behind since all the trees were cut down. From what he could see, the walls of the fort were a half-circle against a cliff face, with a couple of larger buildings and what seemed to be the top of a shed or outhouse. The walls were logs, set in the ground, tied together, and filled in between with hardened mud and clay. There were a few archers pacing about on platforms behind the wall, and eventually one saw him. Alyndel ducked away and ran for his horse as four more arrows followed him. Bringing his horse back down to the camp, he asked everyone," How long have my current company been sitting about?"

Everyone looked about nervously, until the Nord spoke," Me, three days. The elf mercenaries have been here before me. Me and the Mayaars over there tried, but failed, to fight the bandits. The scar from an arrow is still healing. The Reachmen has had his face shoved in a book ever since he came after me. I hope he is reading something useful."

Alyndel looked at the Reacheon mage, eyeing him from under their hooded robes. "How far are you in your studies?"

The mage smirked and closed his tome on his finger. "Well, I got the better part of my education from the School of Kuruth. I specialize in Elemental magic and dabble in alchemy. I'm a warlock and have a good understanding of the Sight. My credentials include many doctorates, certifications, and my works An Essay On The Traveling Properties of Lightning and An Orc Shaman's Beads."

"What toll would it take upon you to split off a cliff face?"

"Why...Ah, I see what you're thinking about. Well, all the matter that the spell needs is already in this reality so the Toll will be less than what it would be if I had to conjure something, but it will still be so heavy that I could not help much after that."

"I need you to only throw open the gates after that."

"I'll need to take a potion, but I could do it."

Alyndel looked at the rest. "After the gates are open we charge forth. They will surely be distracted once a cliff face falls upon them and one of their buildings. We have each other's backs, we clear the buildings, we take out the archers, and we take out of the fight whoever stands in our way."

The Nord asked," You have all that fancy armor and arms, why can't you go up there and take them all yourself?"

"That many people at once can easily knock me off my horse and pin me down. Either ransomed or not, I'm going to end up dead, because no one would pay the price to release me."

One of the Mayaar mercenaries decided to speak up," That's unfortunate. I was thinking we could just ransom you for more than this job is paying."

"The only assured price anyone would pay is a copper. Any archers here?"

"Here," said one of the Mayaar.

"The mage will be busy, then ill, you must protect him from the archers on the wall."

"Sure."

Alyndel started shaking. Not only was he nervous, but he had not brought his liquor and was growing anxious for another taste of alcohol. He couldn't sound desperate. "Nord, do you have a spot of mead I could down?"

"I resent your assumption! But I can afford you half a mug."

Alyndel waited patiently for the mead to come to him as anxiety started to eat him up from his stomach to his chest. He drunk it down and gave the mug back to the Nord, the anxiety slowly going away until he could manage it. "When have these camps eaten?" All answered at a few hours ago. "Same. The mage and archer can go whenever ready. The rest of us will assemble out of sight. Once we hear the gate crash open, we shall fall upon the banditry."

One of the Mayaar decided to strike up a conversation as they waited. "From where in our grand province do you hail, knight?"

"Aarendell. What is thy record, mercenary?"

"Largely beasts. Highwaymen, footpads, and bandits sometimes. Same as anyone else these days."

"There has been much news coming from affairs of the Emperor and his courts. Julek is returned. A good mercenary would catch that whiff and follow it for a hundred miles."

"Oh yes, I've just caught the whiff, and I need only march several miles," said the Mayaar, smiling at the prospect of future prosperous and assured employment. There was a massive crash up the hill, jarring everyone and shaking the ground as the sound of the crashing rebounded off the mountain across the road and sounded a few more times.

"Right man for the job!" the Nord announced giddily.

The second crash came seconds afterward. Alyndel spurred his horse into a canter as the other three began running. Once Alyndel saw the gate was wide open he broke his horse into a full gallop and deflected an arrow with his shield as he entered the walls. A moderately armored cutthroat swung wildly at him only to receive a parry. Their blade came forth again, prompting another parry. Reflexively, Alyndel swung when the bandit wasn't protecting themself. He watched as they grabbed their throat, blood oozing between their fingers in globs, absolutely petrified as they succumbed to the lack of air and blood, looking into each other's eyes. An arrow flew an inch past Alyndel's head, startling him and bringing his attention back to the fore.

There were two bandits protecting the others that were trying to clear a half-collapsed building of rubble. To his right the Nord barreled through a door into a different building as Alyndel and the two mercenaries had a stand-off with the bandits. "You wouldn't want to take us away and leave these people to starve under rubble, would you, knight?" a bandit asked, making an obvious appeal to morality.

"Why yes, why should I be so cruel? Drop your weapons since you won't need them to dig rubble, and we and my comrades can watch over you as you save your comrades," Alyndel negotiated. The bandits grumbled, looked at each other with harsh eyes, mouthed some things, and threw their weapons toward Alyndel. The rest of the day was spent removing rocks and cooking. Several legionary rangers came to the fort since the crash of the cliff face probably sounded miles around, and were to take the bandits off their hands when the excavation was finished. Alyndel nursed an appropriated bottle of gin after his anxiety came back and his shaking started to make his armor rattle.

With half the bandits injured and the other half exhausted by the day was out, the gang was ready to be taken away and they were stood before the rangers. They tied the bandits together and marched away with them, with an officer's request to raze the fort. That is what the ragtag group did, setting fire to the three structures. One of the mercenaries came up with the idea for the mage to conjure a termite queen along with a few males. The mage agreed and a hole was gouged into a log in the fort's walls where the mage would conjure the termites. When it was done the mage stumbled back to their camp to eat and lay down.

"That is that. Only shed the blood of one feisty one. Less bloody than it usually is," the Nord wondered.

"Most of them were smart," noted one of the elven mercs.

"I never liked killing very much anyway," confided Alyndel.

"Well the fort is cleared of bandits. That qualifies for my payment. I'll head for Isnhrion first thing in the morning to collect it. Good night lads, time to rest my shoulder," the Nord said. Everyone else concurred except Alyndel, who would have to look for an inn for a lack of a tent.

The inn was nestled in the crux of a mountain's arms, along the road and just before the large valley that contained the capital city of the Ashen Empire. Trudging into the inn, Alyndel grabbed a drink at the front and took it to his room to the chagrin of the innkeeper. After clumsily taking his armor off, he laid himself on the bed immediately wrinkling the sheets, curling up against the wall. Emotions had swelled inside of him after flashes of the bandit he had killed played through his mind repeatedly. He was guilty for taking that one life, as if their's was singly worth taking. Anxious, because the lack of alcohol fomented paranoiac thoughts. Frustrated, because the bandit had attacked him savagely and Alyndel had had to react. He grew miserable trying to deal with the thoughts, and for want of respite, he turned over and succumbed to the number route, drinking himself to sleep.
Last edited by Zanera on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Everhall
Senator

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Everhall » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:11 pm

The Wise Council Chambers, the Ember Tower, Isnhrion

Prince Ruven and Prince Julek of the Ashen Empire

As soon as Lhoris had entered the room with his entourage, Julek's expression turned from a look of smug pleasure to that of minor annoyance. Damnit, he thought, Just when things were getting good... "Just what in the name of Dread are you doing here, High Chancellor Lhoris? As you can see we are quite busy dealing with my brother's paranoia."

"I could ask you the same question, Julek." Lhoris grunted taking leave of his guard's help and standing on his own two feet, "Neither I, nor your brother saw you during the entire dinner. Would you mind explaining where you were?"

"My business is none of your concern, Lhoris." Julek snapped.

"Fine then," Lhoris growled, "have it your way." the Chancellor turned to the Council at large, who still gawked at him with the surprise that could only accompany such a feat of magic he had performed, "Regardless, while you all bickered here, disregarding the lives of your soldiers and people over a feud between two squabbling brothers, I've been preventing fire in the city from the debris that fell from the tower! Ten other people needlessly lost their lives this night not counting the soul of the man Prince Ruven so recklessly sent into harm!"

Ruven stood in that moment, words filled with rage he shouted, "All the blood split tonight is on Julek's hands, not mine!" He stepped out of the Emperor's box and began to approach his brother and the Chancellor, "That murder," he pointed towards Julek, "needs to be locked in a cage."

Lhoris' eyes narrowed into thin strips, "I here I thought I taught you better, boy. Still not taking responsibility for your own actions even when the fate of others are in your hands."

"Do not speak to me that way," Ruven growled, "You of all people know how much he's taken from me. You of all people I'd thought would understand. My mother would be ashamed to count you as her uncle." The slap came quick and fast, striking Ruven across the cheek with so much force that he almost fell to the ground in its wake. His face burned with the impact of the blow, throbbing slightly even as the Prince looked up in stunned disbelief.

"Don't ever," Lhoris held up his finger towards Ruven's chest, "say that to me again, Ruven. Don't remind me of that day." From most in the council chambers, Lhoris held an expression of stern anger, his eyes obscured from view. But Ruven, standing right next to him, could see beneath his blue eyes what made the guilt from what he had said weigh all the more heavily on his shoulders. Underneath those eyes, were tears Ruven would remember for the remainder of the restless night.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Do'shavir of the Dragon Clan,
The Kaga, Eastern Sea of Lunara, North of the Fiery Straits

Do'shavir gazed at the battle before him, the fiery death of ships, exploding into magnificent splinters and sinking beneath the churning waves. This was a glorious sight, to him. The beginning of a new end. This was only the start of his goals, but by the gods, it was quite the sight. Do'shavir had never seen anything like this, death and destruction on such a large scale, even during his years as a mercenary, But the sight did not faze him, in fact, Do'shavir barely registered the Yaar and men dying in droves around him. He had only one goal in mind, and these Yaar for sure had it coming. They would pay in blood, a million times over, for what they did to his people. And only then could he rightfully reclaim his homeland. The time for vengeance was coming, and it was coming fast.

Do'shavir paused in his thoughts, and turned to his squad, who were conversing among themselves as they waited for their turn to join the battle. From the outside, they may seem a motley crew, but to him, they were all a commander could hope for. In their travels as a mercenary band, Do'shavir had gotten to know his men well, and trusted each of them with his life. Ko'jari was preparing her spells and ointments for the battle ahead, ready to perform field aid upon any members of their company who managed to get themselves injured. Daro'ranni and Do'ajj were checking their bowstrings for any signs of fraying, before sharpening their knives in case the boarding took an ugly turn. Ransaad's, Do'shavir's trusty second in command, was calming saying a few prayers to their gods, likely praying that none of them would die. A good thing to be hoping for.

"I know you're all itching to get right into this, but we've got a bit left to go before it's our turn. Though you all know the drill, it's better to be safe than sorry. Anything that doesn't slither, have feathers, or fur, should die, unless otherwise noted. Ko'jari, stay back from any fighting unless someone's down. If someone's downed, Do'jhera and Khazharim, protect Ko'jari as she provides aid. If one of you is downed, Ransaad or I will fill in," Do'shavir addressed his squad.

"Do'shavir," Ransaad interrupted. "You might want to turn around."

Do'shavir did, and saw a ship heading right for them, on a collision course. "Well?" he asked. "You know what to do!" The Kaga and this foreign ship collided with a loud crunching sound, as the Kaga hit the other with its metal ram. The deck shook beneath Do'shavir and his squad's feet, and a few of his soldiers almost lost their footing, potentially fatal when wearing metal armor at sea. Many would call him insane, for wearing such heavy armor, with the potential for drowning a large factor, but Do'shavir felt that heavier armor was a motivation to not fall into the water. It was unlike a Raj to lose his balance. As the ships collided, the battle began, and Do'shavir quickly found himself crossing blades with a lightly armored Valyaar sailor, wearing only leathers, Do'shavir assessed, as he began to push back against the strike of the soldier.

The Valyaar began to disengage and back off, waiting for an advantageous situation, not a match for Do'shavir's pure mass. Do'shavir kept up with a relentless assault, striking repeatedly at the fighter, forcing him to defend himself, barely redirecting Do'shavir's hefty blows. This soldier was green, compared to Do'shavir, and no match for him, as he soon proved. Seeing an opening, Do'shavir lunged, stabbing instead of slashing, impaling the Valyaar upon his blade. The sudden blow surprised the soldier, and all he could do was look down at the blade right through his gut before he went limp. Pushing the body off of his blade, Do'shavir had a short break from the fighting. His soldiers were fighting well, Daro'ranni and Do'ajj loosing shafts when they had a clear shot, and the rest of his forces holding their own. This group they were fighting seemed hastily assembled. Do'shavir wanted a challenging fight.

Gazing around into the chaos, Do'shavir narrowly missed being nailed by a ball of flames, which flew just over his right shoulder, singeing his fur. Searching for the source of the fire, he saw a Mayaar flinging spells of all sorts into the boarding soldiers. Do'shavir grabbed his archers, and pointed them towards the mage, gesturing for them to do what they could about the Yaar. Continuing his hunt for a worthwhile opponent, Do'shavir finally saw someone who might present a fight - a grizzled Nord marine, battle hardened, and fighting with a sword and parrying dagger, more appropriate weapons for shipboard combat than Do'shavir's two-handed blade. Plunging into the seething mass of fighting warriors, Do'shavir absentmindedly parried lesser blows that rained down on him from the side, continuing on to his target. As Do'shavir finally reached the Nord, he swung his blade with a mighty yell, giving the Nord fair warning to move. He didn't want an uneven fight, after all, ruined by a surprise kill.

Do'shavir and the Nord began to circle one another, each a seasoned fighter, each prepared to retaliate when the other struck, not wanting to reveal their own strength first. An opening quickly formed in the thick of the fighting, as those around, as they finished their own battles, began to stare in wonder at the two fighters. One Reachman stepped forward, trying to stab Do'shavir in the back, but he was impaled on an arrow, shot by Do'ajj. The message was clear: no one interferes with this fight. As fate would have it, the Nord struck first, thrusting low with his sword, and swiping with his dagger so as to hit Do'shavir as he blocked the sword. Do'shavir slammed the sword aside with his own, and before the Nord could strike with the dagger, slammed his shoulder sideways into the flat of the blade, nearly wrenching it out of the grip of the marine. And so resumed the careful circling. Suddenly, Do'shavir unleashed a flurry of attacks, striking with surprising speed for such a large blade as his, his strength lending the edge he needed to do so. The Nord marine dodged backwards, attempting to keep a distance between him and Do'shavir's sword. The marine underestimated Do'shavir's reached, and the tip of the katana cut furrows in the leathers of the Nord, not quite reaching the skin. In retaliation, he threw his dagger at Do'shavir, attempting to hit him as he pulled back for another strike.

The dagger struck Do'shavir's shoulder, managing to wedge itself painfully within Do'sahvir's armor and the skin beneath. This Nord had more strength than he let on, Do'shavir realized. Unless he ended this quickly, even his endurance would run low, with his heavy armor. Pulling the knife out of his arm, he grimaced, and in his rage threw the dagger blindly at the Nord, missing wildly but digging into the neck of a watching Valyaar, killing him near instantly. Do'shavir opted for an unorthodox tactic, treating his blade poorly as he flung it at the Nord. Although the katana had no real change of hitting him, being poorly weighted for throwing, the spinning length of killer sharp metal astonished him, instinctively dodging, not watching as Do'shavir slapped the marine's sword aside with his heavily armored forearm, and slammed into him. Do'shavir saw Ransaad gathering his blade out of the corner of his eye, and nodded, before returning to his opponent, now lying on the floor, winded.

Do'shavir's tactic had surprised the Nord, as was evidence. Grabbing the marine's fallen sword, he locked eyes with his worthy opponent, before bringing the blade down, severing the Nord's head in a clean, quick, kill. He thought he almost saw the man smiling faintly as the light left his eyes. Do'shavir gathered his sword from Ransaad, before looking down at himself, noticing several minor injuries he had not taken stock of before, merely enveloped in his deadly battle. Around him, the fighting began to cease, as the forces of Eroris fell beneath the might of the united Akounate Army. Do'shavir signaled for his squad to follow him, returning to the Kaga before the situation on this ship of Eroris got worse, with the power of Akou's black powder. As they arrived back on deck, Ko'jari began to tend to the wounds of the squad, preparing them for another battle. This day was not over yet, and much blood was left to be spilled.

Later, outside Fort Dara

The shipboard battle had been glorious and bloody, but soon to come was the sort that Do'shavir preferred, simple massive land combat, footsoldier against footsoldier as the time for the fight for this fort neared. None of his squad had take serious injuries, and they were now freshened and prepared for whatever Eroris could throw at them. Upon arrival, Do'shavir was assigned to serve directly under Long Shu, performing whatever tasks needed doing. Now Do'shavir waited outside the war tent, to be given permission to enter and meet with Long Shu and receive his next mission.
It appears I'm an INTP-T. You're not gonna get much more about me.
Wenglesy wrote:Might as well submit now to the obviously superior forces of Legyon fun Genital.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:30 am

Alyndel the Gilded
Isnhrion

Wax stuffed in his ears, Alyndel rode through the streets later in the day, past workers and merchants, and nobility and beggars. Past taverns and shops and homes to the place where he could get his reward, at a guard station. He asked for his reward for helping destroy the bandit stronghold but was told that the people who had cleared it had already came by in bulk in the morning and said nothing about a knight, and that they could not just give a reward to those that came by and said they did something when they probably didn't. Alyndel gave descriptions of the others but the guard remained unconvinced. It was very frustrating, and Alyndel went back to the inn to think about how he would get money to pay off the healer.

It was quiet enough in his room so he took the wax out of his ears. The hangover was lessening, but he still had a headache. Laying down, he thought about any other jobs he could do, even getting a job, but the more he thought the more he wanted to run away. That's what he'd been doing, though. Running away for more than a hundred years. It may have kept him alive sometimes, but it would lead to a death with no glory, no solemnity, no grief or respect. He needed to figure out his money. His money? Most of it went to maintaining his armor and horse, and its armor.

Gathering his money, Alyndel laid out his coins and thought about his usual expenses. Oil, whetstones, food, cloths, and a myriad of other things to maintain armor with or to replace something. Most of his expenses could be cut down on if he perhaps sold off his horse's armor. No, that wouldn't be enough. He'd need to sell his horse. But then he would not have a mount, and he would have to walk about in armor every hour of the day, carrying everything he needed whilst walking across the land. He would have no dignity and...well, perhaps he had no dignity anyway. Ever since he had obtained his armor, steed, and steed's armor through the Lord's Order, he had to complete a job nearly every day as a knight-errant. It was probably part of what was wearing him down, sending him to the drink to keep the stress away.

He had joined the Lord's Order just to obtain a source of finance and materials. There was no spiritual reasoning to his entering the guild. He superficially followed the rules of chivalry, he uttered Ceros' name only in cheap toasts, he saved who he could just to keep his reputation or to earn coins. If he could be described as anything, it was gilded. Or, a fraud. He was doing no one any favors by being in the Lord's Order. Not even himself, really. All these expensive things incurred expenses he could not bare.

However, if he left the Order, he could not go to it for more coins. He would likely starve, dying sunstroked along a highway. He would have no armor, so a poisoned blade could send him permanently to the wayside. No horse meant aches in his feet, and eventually disfigurement.

But he had done it before. All this time running from his calling, and it always called back to him. He would march miles and miles with his armor, a rucksack, and whatever he was made to carry at the time. There were few breaks, and all you could do to pass the time was chant, sing, or talk. Sure, that was an age ago, but he was still at a fine age to do that sort of thing. If complaints like he had now had fallen on Darath's ears, they would have fallen deafly.

Alyndel knew what he had to do.

The Lord's Order compound in Ishnrion had a large marble building, with the front having an equally large courtyard that was entirely and squarely enclosed by a wall. Upon entering either side had stalls across the walls and though there were some well-kept flower beds with roses, it was largely cobble or dirt. There were those of fancy dress and armor standing about in conversation, with those in lesser clothes tending the horses or the flower beds. None looked at him as he rode in upon his horse straight to the front entrance. A young servant came to take his horse to one of the stalls, but Alyndel told him to fetch the master because he had something important to tell them. The servant huffed and went inside.

Thirty minutes passed as the sun continued to wane. Alyndel had gotten off his horse and stood beside it for the last fifteen minutes. He had been told to wait, and he waited, meeting every stare he could see, sure about what he was doing. He knew he would look even stupider than he did now if he backed out. Quietly, the master and a financier came outside. The master was a fat old elf, with a white beard and a full head of short white hair. Around his neck was an amulet of Ceros. "So, you are still here. What important thing do you have to tell me that you couldn't come inside for?"

"I hereby resign from the Lord's Order," Alyndel stated. He began reorganizing his supplies, leaving in the saddlebags most of his oils and rags. He took out his waterskin, and then put it back and grabbed his liquor bottle. He uncorked it, got his waterskin, poured half the liquor into his waterskin, and dumped the rest of the liquor unto the roses. Pulling out a couple of whetstones and the amount of oils he'd really need, he put those supplies in a rucksack, his bag of coins already at the bottom. Next, in the rucksack he partitioned the dirty things from the foodstuffs and deigned to get hard tack next he needed food supplies. Now went in the cooking supplies and other various things that would fit. Anything that was unnecessary stayed in the saddlebags. Next, he took off his belt-and-scabbard and laid it across his horse and began taking off his armor piece by piece, tossing it onto the ground in front of him until he was left with only his fancy clothing. He put his belt back on, still with Braslumbra resting in its scabbard on the belt. Putting the rucksack on and hefting his shield, Alyndel said," Ceros shall no longer be any of my focus. Of the gods, he shall pass under my sight as I gaze to meet Ryenar, the Lord of War. May War's Lord bless me in these coming months, if I am worthy."

With that, Alyndel turned and left the courtyard, meeting no one's eyes as he strode out. Once he was down the street he drunk some of his waterskin. He was surprised his voice hadn't gone hoarse, or that he did not get anxious from being away from the drink. It was done, though. The healer that had healed him after he had been beaten after the funeral could receive their money now. He went straight to the healer's address, and gave the old elven woman the amount due. She said that sometimes she never got the money, so she was thankful.

Now, he needed a cuirass, a cheap one at the least, before he left the city. He stopped by an armory shop that sold hand-me-downs, finding one that fit. It was also a miracle that it was in tasteful condition and still cheap. Now, his next stop would be along the road to Aarendell.

Wulf Da Guy
Attaché

Founded: May 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Wulf Da Guy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Wulfric Blacktyde
Count of Atlas

'I must war father of what I have seen.' Wulfric said to one of his Guardsmen. 'We've seen enough of this. War is Coming and Atlas must prepare for it to knock upon our doors.'

Wulfric hoped that by the time he arrived home, the Empire wouldn't set out to burn itself. War meant those with ambitious would try to gain what others, more powerful families held. Atlas would surely be amongst the Counties one would try to push for.

No that wasn't something Wulfric nor his father would stand for. This war was not their own, nor would it be so long as they were left alone. The issues of Brothers would only end in kinslaying, no side would truly win such a war.

His time in the land of the Elfs were nearing. Soon he'd likely be donning his armor against whomever decided to bring this petty war unto his peoples land. Gods help all sides in the upcoming war.

Everyone would need it.

Tertuath Hath
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Tertuath Hath » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:06 pm

The Duchy of High Rock
The City of High Rock
Hateilli

Hateilli wasted no time making herself at home after Everlid accepted her offer of joining her court mages. She was less than impressed with the quarters she received, the room being barely large enough for the entirety of her body to fit inside. To add further disappointment, it was awfully drab, the plain stone of the walls and floor giving the room a cold look. Meanwhile, the plain wooden furniture gave the space the look of a mere scullery maid's room. And to her great dismay, there was only one small window. She knew that sooner or later, she'd have to arrange for a transfer to a bigger room or renovate her current one, and as she thought of the myriad of stained glass panels she could add to the wall, she began to chuckle.

"Look at me," she sighed," complaining about the free room I've been given... I can't believe I've become so ungrateful."

Unpacking the few things she brought along with her, she removed her armor and stowed away her weapons, save for her tuning hammer, before leaving for the alchemy lab. The Fever was starting to worsen, her condition worsened by the mere act of turning the paper into a flock of hummingbirds. Usually, such a simple spell as that one would barely register in her system, but she had gone almost a year without properly treating the and now the effects were starting to become obvious. She'd have to fix that soon, lest her condition deteriorate further and cripple her mind, though she was sure that the castle must have a decent amount of potions suitable for the challenge. Slithering through the castle's corridors, body covered by a cloak draped around her shoulders, she hummed an eerie tune while her long, thin tongue darted in and out of her mouth.

Within a few minutes, she found the stockpile and helped herself to a potion or three. Her entire being immediately felt relieved as the cool, amber liquid glided down her throat, with a soft warmth spreading out from her core. She felt a bit of her strength beginning to flood back into her limbs as well, the aches and pain being swatted away with a single swoop. Hateilli silently praised the mortal who had brewed the potion, whoever that may be, taking a moment to appraise their handiwork. Holding the vessel aloft, she smiled as she gazed into the rose tinted glass and made a mental note to ask one of the elves that lived in the castle who had brewed their potions. Tying the bottle to her belt, Hateilli slithered back towards her quarters, visibly happier than before.

But something didn't feel right.

She had felt something was off when she had started her trek southwards into the Reach, a strange sensation faintly gripped her mind, unconsciously forcing her gaze to the south. Initially, she thought it to be nothing more than possibly her mind remembering those first few perilous years among the Valyar, dismissing it as she went farther south. However, upon finally catching a glimpse of the walls of Atlas, the same sensation once more assaulted her senses. The full, numbing sensation was stronger than before and carried a sinister aura with it, though she couldn't tell exactly why she had once more began to feel. Perhaps, she had thought, it was another symptom of The Fever. Again, she dismissed the feeling, happy to attach its recurrence to the lack of attention she had given to The Fever. But now, now she was truly certain something far larger was at play, The Fever now banished from her body for the time being. The sensation again gripped her mind, her eyes widening as she began to slither at a slightly faster pace back to the confines of her room. A faint sensation of dread began to taint her soul as she gingerly, yet swiftly, shut the door, bolting the door with one clean move. Casting off her cloak, she moved over to the tiny window she had recently decried, unlatching the small wooden door and looking outside. Hateilli felt her eyes drift towards the southwest, towards the islands of the Valyar, those wretched lands of ash and death. She had heard tell of some sort of attack by pirates, who had somehow managed slay the emperor in combat, but that didn't seem relevant.

"What could it be?" She pushed her head farther out of the window. Focusing her senses, she tried to see, smell, or hear anything strange flowing from the southwest. But she was met with silence. Hissing, she pulled herself back inside.

Absentmindedly, she fumbled around through her belongings before she felt the rough exterior of that ancient tome she always carried around. Flipping through the yellowed pages replete with disturbing images and unnatural glyphs, she eventually landed on the passage she was looking for. On one page, the figure of a strange being in an even stranger environment filled the page, while on an adjacent page, incomprehensible writing danced around a bizarre diagram. Raising her hands in front of her, Hateilli began to chant in a language completely alien to any mortal of Eroris, forming a myriad of symbols with her hands as she chanted. As she chanted, her eyes grew black, and after a few minutes, they were completely devoid of any color aside from black. Slowly, her hand movements slowed to a stop, and eventually, she ceased to chant. Her obsidian eyes stared straight ahead into the wall in front of her, her body as still as stone.

In her mind, she saw boundless destruction.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Postby Ithalian Empire » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Isnhrion
12th of Second Seed
Heremond and Baldric Carcaster

The last few days had been a living hell for Heremond Carcaster. Since the night of the "trial" of Julek Ashen the entire city, from the Ember City to its darkest swear had become a hotbed of unrest and violence. From high lords to bastard street urchins sides were being drawn, lines in the sand made. Every day in the council a new quartal would break out, made ever more heated as the conflict between two princes bubbled ever closer to the surface. As for the princes themselves, Ruven was to stricken with grief to be of much use to anyone, but Julek, Julek had been a busy man.

While the arguments got ever more heated, some almost turning into brawls, Julek had been making allies. Whispers and promises had turned some, secured others, and made sure that a few stayed neutral. And all the while Lhoris had been working as hard as one may expect to prevent another war between the Ashens from ripping the empire asunder. But it was obvious from a casual observer that the strain of this monumental effort was taking its toll. Not the Heremond looked much better, sleep was hard to come by for him in this damned city and he longed for home.

Another council meeting had done nothing other than see two lords almost draw steel on each other whilst Julek stayed in the shadows, whispering. Heremond himself had begun to ask his own questions, mostly about Julek. Where he had been the night the explosion had rocked to Ember Tower, what had he been doing for the week before that? Other facts about that night had Heremond wondering as well, had anyone found Ashoka's body? The explosion had left Ruven alive and in a well enough shape that he was able to call that trial, yet it seemed to vaporize Ashoka. No one had yet to say what was used to cause the explosion as well. Was it a spell? A rune? Or did something else cause it entirely?

No one had any answers, or at least they didn't seem to. Heremond was treading on dangerous ground and he new it. Yet something was pulling him, urging him to keep digging, no matter the danger, no matter where the truth ultimately lead him. But for now, such things could wait. He was tired and the day had been long. He just wanted to try and sleep.

A knock came on the door, "Come in." Heremond sighed.

It was Baldric, look way fresher than his older brother, "You look ill Heremond, perhaps you should try sleeping tonight?"

"Is sleep possible in this damned city? Baldric, I hate this place."

"Maybe you would sleep better if you weren't so good at making enemies?" Baldric meant nothing by this, a careless statement that was ill thought out. But to Heremond it sounded like a personal attack on him, from his own brother.

"Did you just come here to antagonize me Baldric? What would you have had me do, hmm? Stand and say nothing when that damned bastard was standing there so smug? When his own family had been murdered?"

"I didn't mea-"

"Well? What did you mean? Are you going to tell me that I am wrong? That I should have just kept my mouth shut? Well, Baldric, what would you have done?"

"Certainly not have been a crass as you."

"Crass! Crass is what we call a man standing for what is right in the place?" Heremond's temper was rising, as it did when his brother started an argument, "Lets no forget who challenges there better to duels."

"You had to bring that up didn't you?" The duel in question happened two years ago on a hot summer day outside of High Rock, Baldric still thought he could have won against that mercenary swordsman, but Heremond had to put an end to it. His father congratulated Heremond, yet Baldric was chastised. It was wound to Baldrics honor that had never quite healed, and he had never quite forgiven Heremond. "Do you know what it's like for the fucking kitchen boy to snigger behind you back! No! Of course, you don't, your Heremond fucking Carcaster, the wonder child who could do no wrong. Well, Heremond, you really fucked up now, but your to blind to see what you've done. I'll tell you. When this fucking civil war starts a legion is going to march on our home and attack it, all because Heremond Carcaster couldn't keep his gods damned mouth shut for a minute and think!"

Baldric turned to leave the room. "Don't turn your back on me boy!"

Baldric stopped, hand on the door handle. "Maybe you shouldn't turn you back to me, brother. " Baldric walked out of the room, leaving a still fuming Heremond sitting on a bed.

Later that Night

Hermond could sleep that night. His mind was still wondering, from the issues that faced the realm to his confrontation to with Baldric. He knew that he had been wrong. Baldric was right, he was indeed a wrothful man who never thought before he opened his mouth. Baldric was also right about what would happen if a civil war started. His home would once more become a battleground, all that he loved and cared for was now in the direct path of war, all because he had decided to talk.

This part of the Ember Tower was seemingly disused, most of the rooms were used for storage, others were simply empty. It was quiet and peaceful here, and Heremond found himself walking the halls here more and more in the twilight hours. Here he could collect his thoughts and, if only for a few hours, feel like he was away from the madness of the rest of this damned place. As he walked he heard footfalls from behind him, he truned suddenly and saw Alywin walking up to him.

"Sorry for intruding m'lord," Alywin said in his monotone "But I have heard some things... that are rather disturbing."

"What is it Al?" Heremond was tired, and it was starting to show in his demeanor and in his voice.

"I have heard some rumors. Mostly in the cities taverns, all from the guards and soldiers of the lords here. Seems that there are some who have been given the idea that High Rock is to be taken as a preemptive strike in a civil war. They say that someone has promised their lords our land if they took it."

Heremond went pale, Baldric was right. He had made himself a target, and he a strong feeling that he knew who would wish to take a hold of High Rock. "Alywin, get Mettious and meet me in my room."

A few minutes later, the three men were in Heremond's room. "Alywin, if what you say is true, then we need to be ready. I want you and Mettius to ride as hard and as fast as you can to High Rock, call the Order and raise the army. I want to be ready when the hammer falls. You will ride at first light, so get some sleep."Alywin walked out of the room, but Heremond kept Mettius for a few more seconds.

"Mettius, there is one more thing I need you to do for me. Things are about to get very dangerous, and I know not when I will return home. I need you to make sure Eadwine is safe until things settle or until whatever war comes is over. Your the only man or yaar I trust to do this."

Heremond would not sleep this night.

Everlid Carcaster

Everlid was walking through the halls of High Rock, here bare feet making no sounds on the cold stone floor. It was dark in the fortress, the moon obscured by the passing of a cloud heavy laden with rain. It was quiet, no soul could be herd by Everlid ears, which was strange. The Guard was to change watch at this time, yet she heard not the clink of armor or the laughter of comrades sharing jokes. Everything felt...off. Everything felt far too real if such a thing could be possible. Everything was sharper, colors more vibrant. Every sensation was magnified until she could hear the drip of a single raindrop strike the roof above her.

She kept walking. The whole fortress that had been her home her entire life was a new place to her. She felt as if something was tugging her, pulling her ever forward done the hall. She was past Baldrics empty room. Then past the room the Heremond and Eadwine shared, she felt as if there was someone else there with her sister-in-law, but she only saw Eadwine in the room. Finally, she was in front of her father door. She felt odd, something wasn't right. She opened the door.

Her father was in his bead, breath shallow and ragged. But there was also something else in the room, a figure was standing next to her father. It was black and looked as if it was made of morning mist. She felt no evil from the thing, only a sadness, a deep earth shattering sadness. Everlid new than what this was. A dream, a horrid dream. But she also knew more than that. When she awoke in the morning, her father would be dead, the shadow of death would take him as soon as she left this dream and Hewamund would pass from this world.

The shadow looked at her. It made motioned her to come closer. She did. Her father looked so weak, so frail. How could such a man be taken from the world in such a way? Her mother had died from a sickness when she was only three, her Father had been the world to her, his only daughter and his youngest. She knew that Father had lived a good life, longer than most. He had been a just ruler, fair with an even hand and a love for his people that few other lords had. She knew that when news reached the rest of the county, there would be a day of mourning.

She said goodbye to her father, one last kiss on his forehead, even if it was only in a dream. She looked at the shadow and nodded. Her father deserved the rest he was going off to, to see the rest of his family and friends who had passed before him. Everlid was oddly at ease knowing what was to happen and had accepted what tomorrow would bring. She walked back to her room and into her bed.

She awoke as someone shook her shoulder. It was a servant, her eyes red and tears streaming down her face, "M'lady, your father-" The women broke down in tears. Alano came into the room.

"Your father pas-"

"I know Alano, my father is dead. Send a bird to Heremond, I wish to speak with you alone."
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

Alinora
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:47 pm

General Market | Atlas | Atlas County | The Reach
12th of Second Seed | 4E 901
Cynel Richter

The General Market was bustling, as it always was. Thousands crammed into the section of city to trade goods and services, with the banners of the Ashen Empire hanging over them from the walls of the city's ancient buildings-- an eerie reminder, to Cynel, that the Empire help ultimate control of the city. For now, at least. Cynel pushed his way through the crowd, his hand resting on the hilt of his blade as if he would strike at any moment. At his side, his close friend Gunther--a Nord, but a Nord that was raised in the Reach, and a Nord that loves Eroris' breadbasket just as much as Cynel. He was a hardy man of course, being a Nord, but he was humble. It's why the two men got along so well.

"What's our time table?" Gunther asked, looking over to Cynel while he brushed citizens aside. It was crowded - not the best time to talk about the plan - but it was loud, so it was unlikely that anyone would hear.

Cynel perched his head up, taking a look around before turning his gaze back to Gunther. "Three, maybe four minutes before the guards show up" he replied, "so make sure you and your boys get those banners down and get out fast."

"And what about you?" he asked.

Cynel smiled and let out a chuckle. "What about me?" He didn't wait for a reply, he merely turned his gaze to a stack of crates-- a fresh shipment of goods from Isnhrion, most likely. He mapped a route in his head-- up the crates, onto a window sill, and over to a balcony that lie roughly ten or so feet above the ground. He turned back to Gunther. "Go, get in position. We do this now." Gunther nodded, and disappeared into the crowd.

Cynel continued to push his way through the crowd until he reached the large stack of crates, and without hesitation, began to climb-- pulling himself from level to level while the crowd below slowly began to notice. People began to point as he latched onto the window sill, then made a leap over and grabbed onto the railing that lined the balcony. He pulled himself over, straightening his robes, and stiffened his posture. By this point, a portion of the crowd had taken interest in the man scaling the side of the building, but it took Cynel shooting a weak fire spell into the air to silence the crowd, and turn their focus to him.

"Please!" he shouted, "listen carefully, I won't take up much of your time!" Other than the quiet whispers between citizens, an eerie quiet befell the market-- a rarity in Atlas. "My name in Cynel Richter, Questor in the Imperial Legion... at least I was. I served the Ashen Empire faithfully for ten years, fighting here, in our homeland, against those that the Empire calls traitors-- the rebels... the Free Reachmen. I killed them-- I butchered them, always holding true that my actions were in the defense of the Empire, and thus, in defense of the people of the Reach. But I was wrong." He paused. "The last battle I had ever fought with the Legion, was hardly a battle at all. We entered a large camp, where it was believed that rebels had established a permanent present just outside of High Rock. We found rebels, yes, but we also found hundreds of women, and children. What did we, the Imperial Legion, do? Legate Richter - a Reachman and my father - ordered them to be executed. All of them. The very same people I swore to protect - that the Empire swears to protect - became victims by our hand. We left no survivors." He paused, allowing the story to sink in.

"I left the Legion after that day-- I couldn't bear what we had become. We had turned on tour own people, and for that, I will never forgive myself. But I will also never forgive the Empire for sanctioning such brutality. That is not the Empire I know-- that is not the Empire I grew up loving, and that's not the Empire I spent a decade of my life fighting for." He stopped, pinching his nose and shaking his head. "I am not here to convince you, but I am here to tell you all that there are many among you - far more than you would expect - that are willing to fight the Empire, and willing to die, to free this land. We will no longer stand idle by while the Empire exploits our lands for their own gain, and butchers our people in cold blood. And so I say to you, people of Atlas - Reachmen - do not so easily be coerced by the chests of gold the Empire can provide. No amount of gold can possibly make up for the freedom that has been stripped of us, and for all the innocents that lie in shallow graves outside of High Rock. Remember this, friends. Carry it with you, and think back to the days of old-- where the people of the Reach prospered without the Ashen Empire lording over our lives." He paused once more, nodding to Gunther who stood in the crowd, just where he was supposed to. "And, friends, remember this, because I'll tell you something-- it was easy."

Four loud snaps could be heard in quick succession, and the four massive Imperial banners that hung on either side of the marketplace came crumbling down. Cynel smiled, crossing his arms behind his back while Gunther and his men vacated the market, and with a face of calm... waited.

Everhall
Senator

Postby Everhall » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:31 pm

12th of Second Seed (5) 901 of the Fourth Era
Isnhrion
Prince Ruven of the Ashen Empire

He opened his eyes to star-light night, tall blades of grass swaying gracefully just around his body. He looked at the points of light with aspiration, with hope and joy for what the future would bring, and yet... something tugged at him. Something that could not be ignored. He sat up straight from among the grass, slowly surveying his surroundings with a looming sense of apprehension as if something was to happen. Or... had already happened. The scenic mountains in the distance did nothing to sway the boy's mood, and nothing would until a small villa appeared just before his eyes. Had that always been there before? He wondered as he stood from among the grass, Or... is it something new? He did not know the answer, but his question would soon be forgotten as the villa burst into flames along with now dead grass around him. He averted his eyes, tried to cover them with his arms, but it was no use. He saw right through them to the faces that accused him, "YOU DID NOTHING!" one cried, "COWARD!" another shouted. They all looked down at him, focusing their anger and rage down on one being. It was almost unbearable. How much more could he take? The fire before him coalesced before his eyes into one person he knew he could avoid. "Father..." whimpered as tears flowed from his eyes. "ROOT OUT THE SEED, RUVEN! ROOT OUT THE SEED!"

Ruven awoke with a start, screaming bloody murder in the dark of his new quarters. It was not a moment after that several of his guards, lead by Tanya, entered his room brandishing their weapons, "My Prince," she said, "What's wrong? Did anything happen?" she looked on with concern.

Ruven, still shook by the content of his nightmare, took a moment to catch his breath before saying, "I'm fine, I'm fine... it's just I can't sleep. I haven't been able to since-... since..."

"It's best not to think about it, for now, my Prince." Tanya sheathed her sword, "Once you win the throne, Julek will pay for what he's done in blood. We'll avenge both Asoka and Cedric. You have my word, my Prince." Tanya's words heartened Ruven for a short but pleasant moment. It felt good to still have people by his side, though he couldn't escape the feeling that all the people he had left would be put at risk by their choice. I won't let him, Ruven thought as he clenched his fist, Not again. As he did this, he caught sight of Tanya moving her hand to her belt and bringing a slip of paper into view, "Just thought you should know: The Chancellor sent a courier this way with a message; he wants you to meet him in the gardens."

"What for?" Ruven asked.

"It just says 'to complete your training'. Do you have any idea of what he means?"

Grim, Ruven looked to Tanya and said, "Yes, and you're not going to like it."

The Ember Tower, Isnhrion

Prince Julek of the Ashen Empire

"Yes, High King Harold, you are assured of your reward," Julek confided with the Reacheon High King as they continued down the halls of the Ember Tower. Harold Gardener was an obese man long past his prime. Julek had been told that he was once some great warrior valiant on the battlefield, but from what he could see, he was anything but. His eyes were droopy and sunken, his face red and chubby as a result of many drunken nights. His long red beard wrapped around the bottom of his face and hung low on his expensive robes conveniently hiding his multiple chins. This fat pig disgusts me... Julek thought silently to himself.

"Aw, yes..." The High King mumbled to himself, "Aw, yes, but what about my daughter, Aelfgyth? She's one of the finest maidens in the Reach and would make a great wife to yourself if I do so imagine. Tis' would be a shame if I gave my troops over to your brother's cause."

I'd loathe to be the men of the Reach... "You make a fine proposal, High King Harold, and I shall consider it. It is a good thing that you would choose to come to me in hopes of betrothing your daughter. I fear my brother's gone mad with grief considering... recent events."

"Indeed. Nasty bit of business that Trial, he should be ashamed that he ever considered you the culprit." he patted Julek strongly on the back, "But I'm sure the business of your sister-in-law's disappearance shall be solved shortly and your named cleared. Now if you excuse me I must have a meeting with a representative of the Pendragon Trading Company, Lenora, though it may be bountiful, has been lacking in Summerset wine for far too long. I hope we speak to each other again, Prince Julek."

"And you as well," Julek waved goodbye as the King and his guards began to go on about their business. By the gods, Julek thought to himself as he began to continue along the Palace with his own guard, Could that man ever shut up? He thinks himself clever and is nothing more than a fool. Seems Ruven has some competition... As Julek thought this, he and his entourage began to approach the noble apartments of the Ember Tower were many of the lesser nobles of the realm resided during Wise Council meetings. Normally this would have been of little note to Julek as he had been through the apartments many times in his childhood, but the shouts coming from one of the chambers soon caught his attention. He approached the source of the noise down a large hallway that contained many other chambers and was surprised to see one of the many Reacheon nobles walking out of his quarters to the shouts of anger of the person within. Interesting, Julek thought, The Carcaster's brother... He waved off his guards off that tried to accompany him and closed the distance between him and the Reachman before he was close enough call, "Carcaster!" the Reachman stopped dead in his tracks, "I don't believe we've formally met. Baldric, is it? I've seen you at the Council meetings with Lord Heremond. You're his younger brother aren't you?"

Outside Fort Dara, Isle of Alista, Valyaria

Lord Long Shu of the Akounate

As soon as the two large Nagi guards guarding the command tent heard the nature of Do'shavir's presence, they moved their halberds out of the way of the Raj and allowed him to pass within the pavilion. Within, he saw, clustered around an old Akouteen map several Nagi and Raj commanders and at the center of it all, Lord Shu who towered over the rest.

"Have you tried sapping the walls yet?" the Strix asked in an old and authoritative voice.

"Yes, Lord Shu," one of the Raj commanders responded, "We ran into a pool of lava. Only eight of miners survived. It'll take some time to find a spot where we can make it through unscathed."

"I hope so for your sake. Lord Zei would not be pleased if he finds that we've still haven't captured the fort. Your incompetence has been noted. Asshai! Have any of your parties found survivors from the battle in the straits?"

"Yesss, my Lord," Asshai hissed in her strong reptilian accent, "Sssome of the sssurviors wasshed up on sshore. They made an excellent ssnack..."

"Good. Be sure to come to me if anything unusual appears." The owl paused for a second, "Do'shavir. Good to see that you've survived the battle." he turned to the Raj, "I have need of you. You are the lead our assault on the walls of the fortress. Our forces gather in preparation for battle. I hope they serve you well. For the Akounate!"

"FOR THE AKOUNATE!"

Meanwhile...
Evermoor, Isle of Alista, Valyaria

Zei stood high above the city in a ruin of his own making. There perched where no man or elf could reach him, he watched as his army laid waste to the city that had for so long defined them. He couldn't help but see enjoy seeing all the little elves below him run for their lives in the face of such overwhelming force. His ships bombarded the city from the sea, and great torrents of flame conjured by his arcanists engulfed the city. What he loved most of all, however, was the great beast that loomed over the city: Kanashimi. The nine-tailed fox had always been his greatest asset and the sense of vindication and satisfaction that overwhelmed Zei in seeing her destroy the homes of his enemies almost made forget what his vengeance had been born of. Ta Ling... I shall never forget you. With that, Lord Zei jumped from perch he stood upon, a gargoyle attached to the tower of a black castle, and spread his wings to take flight. He flew over the destruction of the city, admiring his handiwork as his forces made their way closer and closer to the central keep and then, content with what he saw, he flew back towards the main castle of the city and burst through one of the many sun-orange mosaics, shards of glass falling on the elven throne room below.

The guards within, startled by such an unexpected attack, raised their crossbow in an attempt to fire a few bolts into the side of Lord Zei. He would not give them the chance to. Taking a position at the center of the room above the throne and its frightened inhabitant, he let out a booming call into the night. The soldiers looking on with bewilderment before bands of summoned Dea'ra struck them down from behind. Zei landed on the ground before the throne, raising his black wings as he approached the city's ruler. The elf, previously paralyzed by fear, drew his blade and yelled, "I am Exalt Vulre Arrianus! I shall not let my city fall without a fight!" before charging at the Strix. Lord Zei was barely concerned with him. He swatted him and his sword aside in one quick motion with his wing and quickly positioned his talons above the elven Lord before screeching in his face.

"Your name matters not to me, elf. Die now knowing that you have fought well."

"You know our tongue..." the Exalt chuckled dryly as he spit up blood, "Then I guess I should tell you that you've failed... you're not going to get away with this for long."

"Oh? Why is that?" Zei was amused by the elf's attempt to stall.

"If you think I'm stalling you're severely mistaken... for all your foresight taking down our hawks you forgot one single white bird..."

Zei's eyes widened with rage as he heard these words. He quickly came down hard on the chest of the fallen Dark Elf and ripped him bloody across the marble floors of his castle. He continued to take out his rage upon the body of his fallen foe, before a familiar presence finally made him stop, "Kanashimi..." he looked to the fox which had now shrunk into its normal state, "Leave me be. You should be out there finishing off the elves."

"I sensed that you needed me, master," the ancient being responded, "We've been discovered, haven't we?"

"Yes," Zei growled, "It was only a matter of time until they did, but we're no know no more than what we started with about this land. It's conflicts that we can exploit."

"You could always use me, Lord Zei." the fox approached him, "You know what I'm capable of..."

"Yes..." Zei grinned maniacally, "I am aware..."

Last edited by Everhall on Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tertuath Hath
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Tertuath Hath » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 pm

The Province of Eldrion
The City of Isnhrion
Lhotine Tlorkam

"Would my master like another drink?"

The mahogany platter, with its intricately carved scenes of battle and festivities, was extended out to the seated Anduran merchant, the Lupan who held it kneeling as best as she could. A drop of water flowed down the sides of the single silver chalice, the light of the sun bouncing off the smooth, polished surface. Lazily, Lhotine extended an arm, grasping the chalice firmly with a heavily ringed right hand and bringing it up to his parched lips. Drinking deeply, he promptly returned the chalice to the platter and with the greatest amount of indifference he could muster, bid the Lupan to leave the balcony. Rising slowly, she made a quick exit, her furred feet softly tapping away on the stone floor.

"Pathetic creature," he sighed, wiping away a drop of water from his lip," but oh so loyal. It took me ages to find someone willing to venture north to capture some Lupans, it cost me a small fortune as well. But they did not fail me, and for their service to my family, I paid them two times their asking price and bestowed gifts upon each of them. Now most of them have retired from their lives of adventuring, the wealth they had earned being enough to support themselves for decades to come. You too could be like them, swimming in a veritable sea of gold the bottom of which you would never reach, your every whim catered to by an army of servants...and at only half the danger. Consider my words carefully."

Lhotine sat up in his wicker work chair, the fingers of his hands pressed together as he sat in silence, observing his guest. A young Nord woman sat across from him on that balcony, her golden hair fluttering in the breeze, eyes firmly locked on the Ember Tower standing proudly in the distance. The sharp features of her face were highlighted by the vibrant color of her eyes, which shined a bright shade of blue that would put the very sky to shame. The fine silks she had adorned herself with were gifts from Lhotine, given to her when she arrived for their meeting and which Lhotine helped put on her. Her delicate lips were pursed, her brows narrowed. Unconsciously, the heel of her slippers (yet another gift from Lhotine) began to tap the cold stone floor.

"What rustic beauty," he thought.

After a few more moments of silence, the fetching young lady turned to face her companion, a calloused hand moving a few stray locks of hair out of her eyes. Lhotine smiled softly.

"I'll do it," she said, her voice barely a whisper," I'll do it."

"Excellent." Lhotine parted his hands and reached out for her's, cradling them softly.

Standing in unison, Lhotine easily towered over the girl as they made their way back inside his private residence, a small palace built near the outskirts of the imperial city. They found themselves in his private study, a massive room with a vaulted ceiling made of rosewood, whose walls were lavishly decorated with numerous tapestries and paintings. Near the back of the room lay an enormous table with a granite countertop, a row of bookcases set up around it. Walking over to the table, they passed over the fur of a once mighty she-bear, a gift from one of his Nordic friends. Shuffling through the stacks of parchment, scrolls, books, and letters, Lhotine finally fished the scrolls he had been looking for, inspecting them quickly before walking over to his lovely guest.

"This one," he said, motioning to the one with the golden seal," you give to the palace guards. They won't let you in without giving it to them, and there's not many other options of entering the palace that won't have you clapped in chains."

He gently placed the scroll into one of her outstretched hands, smiling softly at her as she looked over the sigil imprinted on the wax. A small eagle, wings unfurled, talons wrapped firmly around a broken shield.

"This one," he said, motioning to the scroll with the purple seal," you give to my friend, who'll be waiting for you in the Ember Tower."

Handing the second scroll to the Nord, Lhotine moved back towards the table, taking a moment to once again rummage through the mountain of correspondence he had yet to go through. After a few moments and an exasperated sigh, he pulled out a stiletto and its leather sheath, gingerly handing it over to the Nord. Stuffing the scrolls between her breasts, she hid the knife beneath the folds of her silken dress where no guard could find it.

"Now, when my friend breaks the seal and starts reading the scroll, you take that knife and stick it between his ribs. Make sure you hit the heart, lest you have to wrestle with a burly Reachman. Once he's dead, place the knife in one of his hands and beat a hasty retreat towards the privy. There's a secret passage there that you can use to escape the palace and the city. Once you're outside the walls, I'll have one of my servants pick you up and whisk you away to somewhere safe. You can expect to receive your reward once you reach the safe house. Do I need to repeat myself?"

She shook her head.

"Excellent, most excellent!" Lhotine hugged the lass and planted a quick kiss upon her forehead. "I know that you had renounced violence a fair few years ago, so I greatly appreciate that you have been so willing to help me."

A tear started to form in one of her eyes.

"Now, now, don't cry my dear!" He wiped the tear from her eye with a swift flick of his finger. "The gods will understand why you had to break your oath. They shall understand that you had no choice and forgive you for it. Besides, with the money you'll earn, the charity you could perform in their names would be endless, and you'd still have enough left over to enjoy for yourself. Cheer up my sweet, cheer up. You have a very important job to complete."

The Nord stopped her crying.

"I better get going then," she squeaked," we aren't getting any younger."

"That's the spirit." Lhotine moved back over to the table, seating himself upon the leather bound chair that lay behind it. Sinking into the chair, he glanced over to the young lady once more.

"You're free to go," he said.

Making her way towards the exit, she was about to leave the study when Lhotine called out to her one last time.

"Please don't fail me Mildred," he said," it'd be a shame if I had to punish you."

He looked longingly at his Lupan-hide boots.

Alinora
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 pm

Lenora | The Reach
12th of Second Seed | 4E 901
Adrian Ravenblood

The room was dark. It was nighttime, sure, but this dark was... different. It was suffocating, it was powerful, it seemed almost as if it were alive. He could hear the muffled screams of a man coming from in front of him, but for some reason, he was fully blinded by the darkness-- captivated by its power. He felt a hand rest on his shoulder, and turned as a figure crouched down next to him. The man wore a hood, and the darkness prevented Adrian from seeing his face, though, his presence alone gave Adrian all the information he could've needed about him. He was not a nice man, but for some reason, he didn't seem evil either. He seemed eerily impartial, as if right and wrong did not exist. There was only what there was. He spoke in a cold, deep voice.

"The Lord Ashur has seen your potential" he said, looking up. Adrian's gaze followed the man's, and the shadows seemed to recede. Tied to a chair and gagged, with a number of shadowy men standing around him, he saw his father: Jarl of Wolfhelm. Adrian could see the fear in his eyes. "but for you to prove yourself to him, you must be willing to put aside your personal feelings, and your emotions." The man looked to Adrian, who then realized that this was no man, but a High Elf, who's face was scarred and burned. "Your father must die - Balance must be maintained - and Lord Ashur has declared that you, boy, must be the one to do it". He felt the hilt of a dagger press against his abdomen, and looked down at the shiny, dark blade. He looked to his father, who shook his head in fear-- terror pierced into him.

The scene dissipated, and suddenly, Adrian was alone in bed, in one of Lenora's many Inns. He wiped the sweat from his forehead-- he knew how the dream ended, and he'd had it before, but it seemed that lately these past memories had been coming back more and more often, and were more and more revealing. He pulled himself outta bed, running his fingers through his hair and sitting for a few moments, collecting himself. There was no time to feel sorry for himself.

There was still a target that needed to be eliminated. Ashur wills it.

Tayner
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tayner » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Mettius Clement

The nights and days following the assassination attempt were tense. It seemed like an axe had split apart the Empire like a piece of firewood, and splinters were flying into the furthest lands. Heremond had been asking around, learning and observing things. Mettius would make sure he stood near Heremond often when in public, knowing that his imposing presence alone would ward off any public assault. It was in private when Mettius was most concerned. One of the knights of the Order of the Rock would always stand guard in addition to regular security.

If lords were willing to cut each other open in the council chambers, there was no telling what a cloak and dagger could do. However, Mettius made sure to wear his sword and armor, deciding that his formal attire wasn't quite a viable option anymore.

However, Heremond had summoned Mettius, something strange at this hour. It must've been important, as Alwyin had brought him. Apparently the rumors of war coming to High Rock weren't completely unfounded. Mettius hadn't thought that things would escalate so hastily however.

He wouldn't make that mistake again.

"Alywin, if what you say is true, then we need to be ready. I want you and Mettius to ride as hard and as fast as you can to High Rock, call the Order and raise the army. I want to be ready when the hammer falls. You will ride at first light, so get some sleep."

"Yes m'lord." Mettius answered, before making to take his leave.

Heremond had grabbed his arm to keep him a few seconds longer to add additional instruction.

"Mettius, there is one more thing I need you to do for me. Things are about to get very dangerous, and I know not when I will return home. I need you to make sure Eadwine is safe until things settle or until whatever war comes is over. Your the only man or yaar I trust to do this."

"Yes m'lord, you have my word that Eadwine will be safe. I shall protect her with my life." He replied to re-assure the young lord, even changing from his normal gruff and detached tone to one of actual assurance. Heremond had enough to worry about with the politics and threat of war, Mettius would make sure he wouldn't have to worry about his family. While Mettius hadn't a family of his own, he understood the significance and would carry out his instructions.

He left Heremond to his affairs, and returned to his lodging to pack. He was finished in minutes, and had left to find Alywin to discuss their mission. Just as he suspected, Alywin had the same idea and they meet in the halls of the Ember Tower.

"Ser Mettius, what is our strategy?" He asked.

"First we will return. I appreciate Heremond allowing us time to rest, but we haven't the time to oblige him." Mettius responded.

"I had figured you would say that. I've already packed my bags."

"Good Alywin, I've already sent for our horses. We ride within the hour."

"Aye. Me too." Alywin said, the two sharing a grin before setting out for High Rock. They wouldn't rest much, or stop unless necessary. They would arrive in a matter of days.
If anyone askes where we were Saturday at 14:30, we were at The Pub, understand?

-If it's stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid.
-No Combat Ready unit has ever passed inspection.
-No Inspection Ready unit has ever passed combat.
-There is nothing more satisfying to you then having the enemy shoot at you, and miss.
-Remember, your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
Disclaimer: The sig is out of date and I probably won't update it

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Postby Ithalian Empire » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Baldric Carcaster

Badric slammed the door shut behind him as he left his brother. The damned idiot couldn't see what his honor would lead to. His own damned pride had blinded him. Baldric would never say he hated his brother, but there were times the words had come to his tongue and he had to bite them back. Years of living under the shadow of Heremond had thought him to pick his words and fight wisely. Tonight he hadn't and had come close to telling his brother what he really thought. Baldric would give Heremond more to worry about, Heremod could create his own problems.

Baldric began walking back to his chambers when he heard someone call to him.

"Carcaster! I don't believe we've formally met. Baldric, is it? I've seen you at the Council meetings with Lord Heremond. You're his younger brother aren't you?"

Baldric recognized the voice as belonging to Julek, "I am his younger brother." Damn, Baldric though, is that all I am known as? Heremonds younger brother? "If you want to talk to Heremond, he in his room."

Baldric was convinced that no lord would want to talk to the nobody brother of some lower lord, let alone a prince of an empire who may very well become the next Emperor.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

Spindle
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:05 am

Sinnweld
Imperial Highway
The Reach

The late-day sun glared down on the encampment as it sprawled out around the Highway. Soldiers flitted to and fro while carrying supplies from one area to the next, while others began the long process of staking down tents and digging latrine ditches. And in a small tent only a few rows away from the raised road, eight men and women sat around a slot-together wooden table - the Legion's four ranking officers and their adjuncts. Legate, Shadow Centurion, Auxilliate and Camp Prefect, each one shadowed by the little cretins which they'd chosen to be their seconds.

Which unfortunately included Sinnweld, to her deep regret. There was nothing worse - in this world or the next - than being forced to sit in a tent with seven other people, of whom four had vastly inflated egos and the other three were conniving, politicising bastards. And, of course, all of them wanted to either score imaginary points against each other, or else get on their knees and pleasure various other members of the group. It was enough to turn a girl cynical, she mused while watching the latest round of point-scoring and bickering pass around the table.

"We hold at Atlas." Caius growled, "We will need a naval force if we are to break the blockade around Alistra, and Atlas is the only place we can find one."

"But Sir," Ahtaemma wheedled, running fat fingers through her gold-ringed beard, "If we march to Stormdenn, I have a few, er, friends who can certainly help with the resupply process."

"No-one wants to deal with your Sokka-damned black-market dealers." Saitre spat, "At least have the decency not to whore this Legion out like a prostitute."

"Oh no, the Lupan calls me a thief?" The Battlemage gasped in pretend-shock, "How low I must have sunk!"

"Lay off the poor bitch." Caius ordered, "She's just trying to protect her family's operations in Stormdenn, aren't you Ahtaemma?"

"Well!"

Katherine began to chuckle in the corner, glancing up from her lists of supplies for a moment to flash hard, mirthless eyes at the other occupants of the table, before returning to her scrolls.

It was just as well the force to the south was likely nothing more than marauders, Sinnweld mused. Any force with actual cohesion could probably tear them apart in minutes, if they kept this up into battle. Of course, they had managed to slay the Emperor, so there was likely something more than she knew behind the reavers. A comforting thought in times like this.

"Don't mock us, Prefect." Muvear spat, condescension dripping from the last word like tar, "At least we know how to fight."

The low rumble only intensified at that, and Muvear made to rise before Caius waved him back down into his seat.

"Do we have any legitimate reasons not to march to Atlas?"

There was a moment of hard looks around the table, before Ahtaemma finally shrugged with elegant nonchalance.

"Very well." Caius sighed, "Then on to the next subject..."

Sinnweld closed her eyes and let the waves of inane bickering wash over her. The most feared military in the world, she tried to remind herself. The force which had brought an entire continent to its knees, had built an empire from the ground up and had managed to keep that empire together in the face of demons and monsters beyond mortal ken. This was the Ashen Legion at its very finest, and something deep inside her wanted to cry at that thought. It would have been comedic had it not been tragic.

Finally, after what could have been days but was almost certainly nothing more than an hour or two, the gathering fell apart and each faction headed off their separate ways. There would be conniving tonight, Sinnweld knew that for a fact as she flanked Ahtaemma on their way back towards the Shadow Legion's corner of the camp. It was hard to mistake - the Legion proper had ditches dug by spade and sweat where the Battlemages had simply removed vast lines of earth in near-perfect blocks to form their own ditches, and the difference was jarring.

"Adjunct!"

The call came from behind her, and Sinnweld half-turned to see Muvear strolling out from the command tent, raising his hand. Glancing across her shoulder she saw Ahtaemma nodding with a small shrug and continuing off towards her own tent and her night's sleep.

"Adjunct." She replied with a stiff salute, "What do you want from me?"

Muvear came to a stop several feet away short of Sinnweld, and she could see the disgust flaring up in the elf's eyes as he regarded her for a moment before beginning without preamble.

"I want you to kill Ahtaemma."

Sinnweld blinked, glanced around for a moment.

"Are you insane?" She hissed, "Do you have any idea what you're asking?"

"She's a stain on this Legion and she needs to be removed."

"I'm not killing a superior officer!"

"But you would be her successor, and with removed, and you in her place, the Legion would fall back into order."

Sinnweld gazed up at the elven noble and for a moment she almost wanted to sympathise with him. Then she crushed that feeling and began to talk.

"Listen, Muvear, I understand what you want - and I won't ask if Caius put you up to this - but that won't help a thing."

Somewhere from the camp in front of her, there was a commotion and the sound of canvas tearing. Sinnweld winced before continuing.

"The Proving doesn't test for teamwork - not in the same way your own training does. We get taught how to kill and then when it comes to a battle we do just that, but very few Battlemages are team players. Which is fine in battle, because we're almost as deadly as we think we are, but outside of it? Do you know how lax discipline is in our camp?"

"But there aren't any-"

"Brawls, battles or barfights?" Sinnweld cut him off, "Of course not. We can summon down lightning with a thought, Adjunct. Imagine if we did have drunken fisticuffs. But that restraint only goes so far, and almost every Battlemage wants to get up the ranks by any means necessary - they're in it for the power. They want to get to Legate and then get noticed, so they'll wait for any opening and then bring down whoever is in command by whatever means necessary."

"And she's still alive?"

"She's paranoid, and smart and a little bit lucky. And since I'm Adjunct no-one's dumb enough to attract the brass to come and have a look at why two Shadow Centurions died before we even reached Atlas. So they're waiting until we have a battle and we can take an unfortunate lightning bolt to the back. Once they've done something suitably heroic, to make sure they're the only choice for Shadow Centurion."

"But if you killed her then, you would be immune from this, correct?"

"Until someone finds or fabricates evidence against me."

A small sigh passed her lips, and Sinnweld turned to walk back to her encampment before pausing.

"And besides," She added, "I'm not cut out for command. Even if they weren't Battlemages, any force under my command would fall apart in a matter of days. Goodbye, Muvear. Please don't ask me to do this again."

The Elf seemed caught between shock and anger, then he snapped out of it and turned to head back to his encampment. Sinnweld rubbed her eyes for a moment, and prayed that there was enough wine being distributed that she could have a skin to herself. Tonight was no doubt going to be full of worse machinations.
Disclaimer: Nothing said here is the product of a rational mind.
So...apparently I'm a decent writer. Um...wait, what?
Relativity, nukes in space, nukes in atmosphere, LASERs, MASERs, kinetic weapons, missile and kinetic CIWS, impactors and centripital force.

And, of course, for anything at all, you can always go here.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Alyndel the Gilded
Four Days Since Departing Isnhrion
Mountains Between Isnhrion and Aarendell, Camping for the Hunt

The armor was off, and it was cold. He had bought boots, expensive, but he could afford them now and he would be spending weeks trudging about Eldrion so it wasn't a dumb consumer choice. There was a couple of inns to stay at around the area he currently was, but he didn't want to end up sleeping all day in a comfortable room that'd make him forget where he set his traps. There were a few times where he had done that and went hungry. With the changes he was trying to make to himself, he shouldn't seek comfort. Unfortunately he could barely remember how to make a lean-to. It wasn't until the wind started blowing and it started to snow that Alyndel remembered to make sure he had dry sticks and logs stored under his lean-to so that he actually had a fire he could use. For tonight, he would cook what was in his rucksack. Tomorrow morning was making rabbit traps, and the rest of the day would be looking for game trails and setting traps on them.

The night started out with a savage howling past the mountains that he was sure was a wolf and not the wind. Alyndel decided to hide the campfire some behind large rocks and branches, and although the howling was unnerving it wasn't like he hadn't ever heard it before. After an hour the howling seemed to go a ways farther east until he couldn't hear it anymore. It sounded like it was a lone wolf, a little unusual but not weird. A lone wolf was something that mostly had to scavenge since it couldn't run with the pack, so it might have been interested in his campsite, but the wind just wasn't sweeping that way. Sure there would be no more trouble, Alyndel lay awake awhile until sleep finally came to him, which wasn't hard after all his walking.

Awoken early in the morning by the cold, Alyndel rubbed sticks together, slipping constantly from his shivering, until he finally got the sparks he needed. However, the kindling he had had gotten wet and the sparks died before they could do anything. Sitting under his lean-to huddled under pine needles, Alyndel waited until the sun rose and stepped outside to warm himself, huddled over with his back to the sun. It was still cold and his nose was still dripping, but Alyndel felt better. Searching for the necessary twigs and ivy vines, he put together simple traps and gathered bait, and spent most of the day searching for trails rabbits and other game frequented. The only time he had deer was at the manors of nobles since he had not a bow, so he always had to eat what could be trapped in simple traps. Although it was a month of warming, it was still cold in these mountain passes of Eldrion, especially when it comes time for night.

Luckily in this pass, that stretched from east to west, the sun would still be able to warm you and give you light for another hour rather than dipping behind a mountain and casting a mountain's worth of shadow. Having placed marks in the trees telling where he's been, and having much time left, Alyndel went looking for another game trail. The search went on until he started having thoughts of going back to camp, but having found another game trail, he started to set his trap only to have it collapse flimsily. He reconstructed it, taking more time than he'd like to rebuild a simple trap just before sundown in freezing mountains. By the time he followed his markers back to his second-to-last trap, he heard a singular howling in the mountains. Sometimes there were lone wolves, which would not be a problem since Alyndel had brought with him his sword for such purposes, but now he could tell this howl was distinctly a werewolf's.

Noting the wind's direction, it was likely the werewolf would not smell him. Rather than being stuck wandering through the woods squinting for giant blurs of fur in the cold without a cuirass or shield, he started squinting about for his markers. He made it to his third-to-last trap before there was a wind change and another howl. He knew could not stand about giving off his scent while a hulking werewolf charged for him. From this trap he could cut through the forest to his camp. The underbrush was thick, but he did not feel he had much of a choice. Rushing northward he ran under fallen trees, jumped over creeks, and cleared shrubs until he nearly ran into a long thicket of brambles. The wind gusted again and he heard a howl twenty meters away. He drew his sword and stared into the dark, looking for moving masses only for his mind to start playing tricks on him, making him see dark masses darting from the front of his vision to the peripherals and back from the center again. When the werewolf came upon him it came with a leap, and with a dodge it smashed into the brambles, but unfazed.

Alyndel could see it now, pants torn almost to shreds around its waste, the rest all dark grey fur. Five-inch claws jutted from its long fingers and toes, its legs twisted into that of a wolf's. Its body was not distinctly muscular, but you knew there was pounds upon pounds of power under the skin. A large gash marked its way across its belly, a healed trench. Saliva dripped from between the beast's inch-long fangs and its eyes were glaringly red. Its ears perked up and back towards its head repeatedly until the ears stayed down. This was a sign it wanted to protect its ears while it went in. Alyndel could not freeze now. The werewolf leaped and Alyndel sidestepped as he brought his sword down, striking the dirt. He turned and slashed as the beast lunged for him, cutting it across the nose. A sensitive area but not deadly, the werewolf swiped as Alyndel moved away. It was being wild and calamitous. It was tiring for both involved, one slashing furiously and the other dodging every claw that could shred a tree. Finding himself up against the belly of the beast, Alyndel half-sworded and cut along the gash and was then flung into the fallen brambles, receiving a hundred small cuts. The werewolf looked on its freshly-cut wound, and ran off. Alyndel noted the direction it went in and went back to camp to get his cuirrass, shield, and to build a makeshift torch.

The night was still unfriendly with a torch. Without the rush of being attacked, the cold was a conscience thing. Running in the thin, cold air drew shallow breath and a dry throat. The torch only lit so far and Alyndel was forced to backtrack several times. The moon rose and fell as he started to shiver, sweating though he was almost freezing. His eyes watered and his lungs burned, but he did not want an enraged werewolf running about the mountains, tracking him along the road until it could sink its fangs into his throat. There was something to be said for destroying something because you feared it, but Alyndel knew what it would do. Back in the Red Gauntlet three men as part of a ten-man party had died in their sleep tracking a werewolf for a contract. The party had wounded it with silver and thought that only one person was enough to be on guard at any time during that night. That beast had wanted vengeance, though, and they had let it get it. It was a valuable learning experience for those that had remained alive by the end of the contract, and they made sure to share their newfound knowledge with the rest of the Gauntlet.

Caught reminiscing the looks upon the mens' faces after they returned from that contract, Alyndel slipped on black ice that he had not seen and scraped his knee fiercely. He sat and thought about what he was doing as he pressed down on his knee to stop the bleeding. Looking at the tall outlined figures of the mountains and trees, Alyndel noticed a potential narrow pass through the upper part of the mountains. Picking up his sword and shield he got up and dusted himself off before going and fixing his torch before it burned out. There were long shadows, and the light enraptured mice and a curious badger. Upon the ground was an unbroken line of blood. It was a ridiculously easy way of tracking the werewolf that he had totally forgot, and he made sure to stay on the trail now that he had found it. Following it, the path split up, one way going straight to the left and going up the mountain. Going forward would lead down into another valley. The blood went to the left and so he went left.

There was a cliff that was rising ever higher to the right as the path went higher around the mountain. It made him height-conscious, but he continued, looking out at the valley below, dark but very peaceful. Finally the path ended at a plateau three hundred feet below the snowy cap of the mountain and a couple hundred above the valley. It was a small plateau, with a stone home surrounded by tilled, irrigated ground. Water from the snowy cap of the mountain trickled down and provided the water for the irrigation system. A highland cow in a small enclosure, slaughtered and hollowed, lay on the ground buzzing with flies. However, the most gruesome sight wasn't the cow. On the ground before the door of the stone house that faced outward toward the valley below, was an elven woman laying on her stomach in her blood, buzzing with flies and with a sword a foot away from her grasp. Behind her the door was burst off its hinges, and although the stench was enough to make Alyndel begin retching, he entered and saw something he thought was better to have imagined. Blood across the walls and furniture, swarms of flies and legions of maggots, and two children, mauled by an obviously powerful creature, but not out of hunger, but anger, because there was not a piece missing. He stumbled back outside and threw up around the side of the house. "No pity from the gods for these people! This must be a godless place. This beast will die or I will die trying to kill it!" Alyndel said, as if someone were watching him. He remembered, though, he was perfectly alone now.

And, though he really did want to kill the beast, he didn't know where to find it. Or how to get to it, at least. Its blood trail ended at the cliff side, which was twenty feet behind the house and went partially up to the top of the mountain. For as far as Alyndel could see in the failing torchlight, it had went up the cliff, and at some point it looked as if it had ripped its wound further on the rocks. There wasn't a tree he could sleep under, and the house was in no shape to sleep in, so there was no where to comfortably wait the beast out. The cliffside seemed like it could be scaled, but he had scaled rock faces very few times in his life. If he wanted to get up there, he would also have to leave his shield, since he could not put it in a scabbard like his sword, and his cuirass would get in the way of climbing so it would have to be taken off too. Cliff-scaling in the dark was especially dangerous, and there were gusts of wind up here. However, just the memories of the scene made him put down his shield and take off his cuirass to try climbing. His hands were almost immediately tore up from the rocks and he could barely lift himself with his arms, and so he almost got back down to wait them out. But not only would the werewolf possibly tear at him in his sleep, if he was awake the werewolf could easily avoid him. It was much faster than he was, and could scale cliffs if it wanted to. He was aching and pulled a muscle, but he resolved to use the experience as exercise.

After his foot had slipped more times than he could count, and was freezing himself to death between the sweat and the cold gusts, Alyndel found himself in front of a cave shrouded in snow. The sun was beginning to come up, shining its light forth before it could be seen, the eastern sky yellow, white and blue, and the western still dark. The inside of the cave was a blank darkness. Waiting longer for the sun to come up would not be very useful. Alyndel pulled his sword out as lightly as he could, making sure not to make the distinct sound of a sword coming out of scabbard, and entered the cave. There were the odd drops of water from the ceiling to the cave floor in between the pained moans of a half-elf half-wolf. While taking minutes upon minutes probing every step for puddles and slick rock, the werewolf had become themselves again and started a fire before Alyndel finally found him. They were in the very back of the cave, a small circular room with stalactites and stalagmites circling around a Mayaar man huddled under a bloody and moth-bitten blanket in front of a small fire. He cradled his stomach as blood sopped through it. "I made one avoidable mistake, and the rest of the mistakes that followed were out of my control. I regret every single one, though."

"I'm only concerned with one of them," said Alyndel, stepping forward as he began to circle the fire.

"The people you undoubtedly saw dead below were my family."

"Is that so?" asked Alyndel, stopping briefly before continuing to walk slowly. "Then you committed familicide, and I am still going to kill you for attacking me."

"I don't think I deserve to remain alive either, but will you let me tell you why i turned into this thing? It is not an excuse, it is just an explanation of the poor reasoning I had," he begged," I still hold my regrets."

"Three minutes."

There was now hope in his eyes, but he definitely did not waste his time with pauses. Licking his lips, he began," I started building that house when I was young, for me and my wife. We remained together for decades upon decades, working on irrigation to make our little plot of land work. She would raise the crops while I would trap and hunt down there in the valley. We eventually birthed a daughter, raised her, and she went away to do more with herself. Me and my wife remained, alone except for the times our daughter would visit. Then a couple decades later we birthed twins, and we raised them. But then the game became less and less, and rot would often afflict our crops. We searched for ways to feed ourselves but the children were beginning to hunger and sicken. I was desperate and wanted the power to aid my family, so I went to the Dreadlord of Power. The first couple nights I brought home a couple of deer, but my wife was of course suspicious, and confronted me before I could escape away from my family at dusk. She tried to defend the children, but she could only wound me so," he said, looking down on his wound. The elf was blanching and looked dizzy, but Alyndel did not care, nor did he feel the need to strike the elf down as much anymore. "All I remember after that was coming back home only to find what I had done. I climbed up the cliff to fall back down, but I found this cave and sadly I regained the will to live."

Alyndel was still disgusted at the elf all throughout, but it somewhat reminded him of what he and others of the Red Gauntlet had to do during the War of the Black Phoenix, had to justify sometimes to their contractors and every day to the gods...it was never for a moment as nearly reprehensible as what happened here, but it was roughly the same motive: help another to the deficit of others. For the Red Gauntlet during the latter days of the War it was either appropriating food from cellars, or bashing in the doors of steadfast healers for medical supplies, but they never turned to the Dreadlands, and never killed civilians they could disarm or talk to, but Alyndel was suddenly feeling merciful, and there was only one kind of mercy Alyndel could and would afford, "The only forgiveness that matters now is Sokva's. You are dying even without my blade. Make what peace you can before you pass. I will bury your family, but I will not bury you, because I would not know what kind of soul left this plane, and those that fall to Dreadlords don't deserve burials."

"Then leave me," the elf gasped.

Each grave was marked by a large stone, and all three were surrounded in a neat square by smaller stones. They pointed towards the valley below, a valley void of any visible life besides the singing of birds. After uttering the best prayer he could and looking upon the rising sun to the east, Alyndel left the plateau and went back down the mountain and through the small pass. Searching for his traps, he finally found one after a couple of hours, going from one to the next looking for rabbits. If it had a rabbit, he'd cut its throat and put it on his belt, and if there was or wasn't a rabbit, either way he broke the trap and moved on. When he returned to camp, he had four rabbits to butcher, but he hid them in a big lump of snow covered with pine needles to save to cut up later since he was exhausted. After capturing so many rabbits, Alyndel had an idea about where that elven werewolf had gone. Before he took his nap, he used his much-needed drink to toast the elf," 'Least you went to the place that's the best."

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:53 am

Twelfth of Second Seed
Llavesa Faryon

The past few days certainly had been... something. The trial was a disaster. The explosion that went prior to it as well, of course. And everybody was divided. It was a small wonder half of the Council didn't lay dead at the hands of their fellows yet, in a way. It was perhaps inevitable, at this point, that some sort of civil war would follow - Llavesa could only pray that it would be relatively small. To make things worse, with the Emperor dead and his two heirs at each other's throats, it was terribly hard to figure out just what she was supposed to do. For once, the Valyaar really was at a loss. Of course, the sweet, sweet Glimmerdust had provided an enjoyable distraction, but it definitely wasn't something she could turn into her occupation. Not if she wanted to live a more luxurious or sustainable life, at least, and so it was that she came to the decision to just... ask whatever it was that she could do.

She'd ask neither of the princes, though, no - she'd reckon she knew exactly what it would be they'd want of her, and that'd be borderline treason. She fashioned herself to be comfortable with all manner of crimes, but not that. No, instead she'd ask the Potentate Lhoris. He surely had some sort of plan? Or at least something to do that wouldn't see reason to accuse her of various degrees of treason. Of course, she'd have to look the part, and so she had been busy dressing up. A long, black multi-layered dress - with plenty of skin on display still, of course - earrings, a disgusting amount of rings on each hand, several bracelets, a necklace - truly, she could've been dressing up as the Imperial treasury. As it should be, truly. Coating herself with what could well be a cloud of perfume, she gave a nod to herself in the mirror, before making her way for the sprawling hallways and staircases of the Ember Tower.

It took some time, but in the end, Llavesa arrived at her intended destination, as pristine as she had dressed to be. Coming to a halt in front of Potentate Lhoris' office, she gave a knock on the door, folding her hands behind her back as she waited to be permitted inside, lips pursed and head held high. Time to see what that man could offer.
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Everhall
Senator

Postby Everhall » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Prince Julek of the Ashen Empire

If there was one thing Julek could attribute to his success, it was his ability to read and convince people to do what he wanted based on what he saw of them. Baldric Carcaster was no different. He looked the Reachman over as he spoke, from his slim build to the way he stood hand on his sword. It quickly dawned on the Prince just the type of man Baldric was. The look in his eyes when he confirmed that he was Heremond's younger brother, the slightest furrow of his eyebrows painted a clear picture in Julek's mind. An insecurity... Julek thought, Something I can exploit...

"So you are the youngest? I have to say up until recently the only thing I've known about you is that you were Heremond's brother, which is one of the reasons I'm speaking to you instead of him." the Prince paused for a moment, "You do a horrible job hiding your disdain, Baldric; I can see it painted across your face. I have... personal experience on the matter. It's hard to be in the shadow of someone close to you. You feel as if everything you do pales in comparison to your older brother. Inferiority leads to envy, envy leads to frustration, and frustration leads to hatred. I know this better than most." he put his hand on Baldric's shoulder, "Whatever has happened between you and your brother let it end. The longer you cling to the past the sooner your frustration turns to rage. Carving your own path is more important than following in the footsteps of someone you believe you can never beat. For if you make your own path, you are your own person. I loved my brother, once... but you can still love yours." With that, Julek turned to leave, only barely managing to suppress the smirk that would have surely scrawled across his face.

Be careful Julek, a part of him said, You might just forget your purpose...

The Great Marketplace, Atlas

To most of the commonfolk meandering throughout the Plaza of Heros near what was the center of Atlas, Cynel's words, shouted from atop a balcony of the Temple of Ryenar, was nothing short of treasonous. A great number of them, mother and fathers that had family in the Legion, heckled the man yelling shouts of "TRAITOR!" and "DESERTER!" even as others grabbed produce to throw at the man that had so thoroughly spoken against the Empire. Atlas was city enshrined in its loyalty to the Empire, to speak here, was one of the worse mistakes Cynel could have made.

"Hey!" one peasant shouted above the rest, "I recognize that man from the wanted posters! He abandoned the Legion!" the shouts and heckles only increased in fervour as Atlas guards soon approached, with shouts of "Kill the Traitor!" coming out loud above the rest.

"Cynel Richter," the commander of the guard battalion yelled as his men began to surround the church, "In the name of the Potentate Lhoris Varian ruling in the name of the illustrious Ashen Dynasty, I hereby place you under arrest for desertion, armed rebellion, and disturbing the peace. Come peacefully or your blood will be spilled on this hallowed ground."

The Office of the High Chancellor, The Ember Tower, Isnhrion

Potentate Lhoris Varian of the Ashen Empire

"Alesane, let her in," a tired voice said from behind the door," I'm expecting her." soon after, Llavesa was ushered in by noticeably tired and clumsy Alesane, who, much like her father sitting at his desk, looked to have lost days of sleep. The office of the High Chancellor was as spacious as it was extravagant, boasting several chairs tables and carpets where the Chancellor's staff would usually work, and a large stained window that allowed the light of the sun to pass through. Lhoris himself sat at a desk that was as far from the aesthetic of the rest of the room as any piece of furniture could be. It was old but dignified, and, unlike most desks in Eldrion, seemed to have been carved by hand rather than by magic. Several bookcases lining the walls of the office bared a similar style to this desk, suggesting that, they too, were of Lhoris' own preference.

"Ah, my lady. Good to see you," Lhoris said looking up from his missives and edicts that lay sprawled on the surface of his desk, "Alesane, could you please leave me to speak with our guest, here? We have much to discuss."

"Of course, father." his daughter nodded before leaving, closing the doors behind her. Upon her exit, the Potentate rose, blue energy sparkling in his hand, and cast a spell into the air before turning to speak to Llavesa, "No one can hear what we say in here, Llavesa; we are free to speak." he poured himself a glass of wine, "Could you chosen something less revealing? Nevertheless, we are not here to discuss the way you dress but to discuss your next assignment." The Potentate sighed before he took a drink from his glass, "I've... been having dreams again, premonitions. Ones I have not had since Melkor. I've seen the Battlespires, Alista, Isnhrion all in flames and yet I still don't know what they mean. I've ordered most of the Shadow Legion back to their spires in case of attack, but even then the rest of my premonitions remain unreadable to me. My dreams always end with me falling, falling endlessly for the rest of my days... But... let me not bore you with the ramblings of an old man, let's get down to business. We know where Asoka's murder lies, and... we know what they use..." The Potentate said as he held up one empty bottle of glimmerdust.

Last edited by Everhall on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Alyndel the Gilded
Aarendell
Nine Days Since Leaving Isnhrion

It took most of the morning to ask around about his family. They weren't in the house they were living in when Alyndel left for the Red Gauntlet, and there were completely different neighbors as well who were shy when a traveling elf with weapons came to their door. Alyndel went to where his father's guild had a front and that's where he got a lot of his information. His family had been cast from the city during the War of the Black Phoenix since they would not take up arms to resist a siege and thus would be a waste of valuable food stores. They had a pretty rough time and only Alyndel's brother had ever come back into the city, taking up his father's old vocation. Their parents had died, and their sister was a farmer's wife. As a matter of fact, Alyndel was speaking to his brother.

"So what've you been doing? How was the war for you, Alyndel? A glory-ridden, beautiful, bloody mess?" asked Alyndel's brother.

"There was as much glory for me as there was for the rest of our family. News at the capital doesn't make me confident there won't be another one."

"Well you look prepared for it. But good on you, you don't look dismembered. I've heard gossip. I'll be working on a bust and I can hear all these fat, fancy women talking in a corner, and I hear that you're quite the drunken glory."

"Yes, after Darath died I started to make a lot of mistakes. I'm currently trying to rectify them. Judging by how you're dressed, you must be relatively successful."

"The sweaty one's one to judge me. There's still as many wealthy egoists as there have always been. Hey, wealthy egoists makes you rich too, doesn't it?"

"Those that do the dirty work just don't get paid as well as they should, is all I'll say."

"Well, it looks like I'll have to give you money, too, won't I?"

"People asking for a lot of money from you? Ever tell them you're a sculptor and not a bank?"

"Well, you can't really say no to family, and it was my idea. I send money to our sis, and she's never rejected it, so, I assume money must be hard for her and her husband. She's had a daughter, too. Last I heard our niece has fallen ill. Haven't heard much more than that."

"Next stop will be our sister's house. Anything you want me to give to her?"

"This month's allowance and some medicinal herbs. Eh, she has some reservations about how you left us. She was mad that you weren't there to help father during the War, but how is an aspiring mercenary supposed to know the plots of politicians? After the War, though, Alyndel, I just can't help but agree with her, why haven't you come and seen us sooner?"

"I kind've liked the brotherhood of the Gauntlet I guess...but that's not really an excuse. You're my brother. I really have no excuses, I should've been by here eighty years ago at least."

"Can't change what you have and haven't done, but you made sure you're here now, and that counts to me. As for sis, it's probably best you just don't, uh, stress her out. Then she might have a better outlook on you, I guess."

"Almost everything I do stresses someone out," said Alyndel, getting up from the table, along with his brother. His brother gave Alyndel the allowance and herbs, and they shook hands before his brother tugged him in for a brief hug. "Do what you can for sis, Alyndel. There are some things you can do that I can't."

"I'm here for you guys."

His brother had given directions to his sister's farm but Alyndel had gotten lost anyway. One farmer asked him to try out a cow's first batch of milk first (which tasted good to Alyndel, but not to the farmer), another was totally shy, another complained to Alyndel for ten minutes straight, and even walked along with Alyndel as he went to another farm so that he could complain some more. By the time he got to his sister's farm it was nightfall. He saw a Mayaar man messing about in a small barn some thirty meters from a farmhouse. Alyndel went to the farmhouse and knocked on the door. He heard some sounds and the door opened wide until the woman saw the arms and armor he was carrying and closed the door to a sliver. "I'm sorry, we don't have the food to quarter you," she said before she began to close the door.

"Hold, I have something a sculptor named Ysselemane wanted me to give you. You are Vera, correct?"

"Yes. What is it?"

"The monthly allowance and some medicinal herbs for my niece."

"Your niece?"

"Yes."

The door closed and Alyndel grew worried, but the door opened again and his sister let him in. She closed the door behind him, them both finding stools on the opposite of the room from each other. The floor was dirt but it seemed they had managed to build two small rooms, both doors occupying the same wall to the left, across from the fireplace where dinner was cooking. Vera began with all her emotions flowing out of her," Why did you have to abandon us before the war? Why couldn't you have stayed in Aarendell, you pained father so much! We were easily in ruins!"

"I could not have known there would have been a twenty-five-year-long war, Vera."

"We were cast out of the city, we starved! We scrounged about in the wilderness for mushrooms. Mother got sick because she hungered so we could eat. Ysselemane and father could barely fight off brigands, and the gods know we did all we could to avoid those roving armies. Mother's buried in an unmarked grave in the mountains, to say the very least! Father's buried around back of this house. At least Ysselemane made father happy. I took care of father until his last days. He always said he appreciated me but he always went on about his Alyndel afterward. But where was his Alyndel for 130 years? Romping about like a drunken fool, doing nothing with himself, that's what!" sneered Vera. At a point, every word stung and Alyndel got angrier and angrier, but he wasn't allowed to be angry, he knew he wasn't the one that should be. This is where he truly knew the anguish he had dealt his family with his absence. Guilt, guilt now crept in and dropped his stomach to his knees.

As he pushed back the tears in his eyes, he explained," The last memory I had of father, Vera, was when I left that city. You remember what had happened between granddad and father? Father ran away from granddad to do what he wanted to do. I left for the Gauntlet so I could do what I wanted to do, and the difference between granddad and father, and father and I, was that father let me go to do what I wanted to do. When I left I did not leave without thought for this family, I left and I continued to respect father above even Darath. If I cannot visit both mother and father, then I will make damn sure to pay my respects for them both through father."

Vera began to cry," Why couldn't you see us for so long? Did you even know you had a niece?"

"Gods know you deserve to cry, but I don't deserve to be cried over. I have no good reason for not coming back, I was just no good, Vera. But I'm here now, and I still don't expect you to forgive me after all you've went through, but I do want to see my niece. How old is she?"

Vera wiped her tears away and her hard eyes came back," She's twelve, and she's so sick, Alyndel, she could die."

Alyndel was about to speak but then Vera's husband came in the door. Alyndel stood up and the two shook hands for a moment. He introduced himself as Pelin, and then went to the windows to open the shutters, remarking about how the stuffiness would kill him. It was getting stuffy, now that Pelin had pointed it out, and cool air along with the sound of crickets and cicadas flooded into the house and Pelin sat away from the fire by a table, starting to get everything together to light a pipe. "How's Artin doing, Vera?" Pelin asked.

"She's a little worse today. Um, this is my brother," she said, gesturing to Alyndel.

"About time you showed up, Alyndel. Artin's never going to learn how to defend herself from her Uncle Ysselie, all he can teach her is how to milk money from rich people."

Alyndel smiled but recanted," I'm not sure if I want to teach her too many things, she might join an army herself. Besides, I heard Ysselemane did well-enough at protecting people during the War, maybe he knows some things."

Vera said," Ysselemane swore off violence after the War. Pelin's right, we can't let Ysselemane be one of the only outside influences, but there's no other people I know that I want her rubbing off of. If she lives long enough to..."

"Don't worry Vera, Arty will get better. Say, Alyndel, how long are you staying for?"

"Not for too long. What's Artin sick with?" asked Alyndel. He heard a call from one of the rooms, and his sister got up to check on what he guessed was his niece.

"A very rare disease that's very hard to overcome, especially for people her age. She's been healthy for most of her life, this is the first time she's been sick, really. We're kind of desperate since this is our first time with our own sick child. The farming wives around here have been helpful at easing the symptoms, but the healers get as frustrated as we do trying to attack the disease. There's one herb that can cure her, and it hasn't been any cheap on the market for years and years," said Pelin, now taking a puff from his pipe.

"When I get my own men, we won't be doing small crap like extorting poor farmers. Sald isn't going to get anywhere doing this sort of shit, I don't care if he got to the top this way, it's still stupid," said a young Reachman, trudging along the dirt road with his eyes low.

"Sald used to be so hungry. He kidnapped a lord's wife for ransom, he was so hungry. But I have to agree, Sald just ain't doing anything anymore. I just might have to run off with you to hit the big scores," said a balding Mayaar with dirty hair, hunched over but still taking long strides. They both wore leather jerkins stained with gods knows what, worn over ruddy, dark clothes, and iron shortswords swung at their sides. They came by the farmhouse, and seeing the back of Alyndel's head through the open window, snuck about to where they could get just under the window where they wouldn't be seen but where they could listen in clearly on the conversation.

"Is the herb extinct or?" asked Alyndel.

"Well, there's very few of them, and there's always been very few of them. They've always been in a cavernous grotto up in the mountains around here, but a vile beast decided to take up residence there. The disease is so rare so the demand for the herb is so low, no one tries to take back the grotto, and the price remains very high for the herb. The one time we came across one it was worth two year's worth of harvest sell-off money, and we haven't had that kind of money in years and they wouldn't take any other kind of payment or credit," confided Pelin, hunching over and wringing his hands fraughtfully with his pipe puffing a continuous cloud of smoke.

"I have not any money to give you, but I can lend my sword. I have fought beasts before many times. Tell me where the grotto is, and I'll go to the mountains tomorrow and you'll get the herb you need to heal Artin," assured Alyndel. Meanwhile, the two brigands below the window looked at each other and smiled.

"To be honest, Alyndel, I have not heard very nice things about you since me and Vera met, but I think I'm starting to like you. I know you're desperately trying to win back your sister's favor, but if you do this, let me tell you, it will be such a weight off our shoulders, mainly Ver-"

There was a knock on the door. Pelin got up and opened it. The young Reachman and balding Mayaar walked in, the Mayaar asking," Where is our monthly credit installment, Pelin?"

Pelin went to the table and then brought the bag of Ysselemane's allowance to the young Reachman. The balding Mayaar looked over Alyndel with disgust and a hint of fear. "I see you have a guest, Pelin, will he be trouble for us this evening?"

"No, not at all. He won't be staying for long. Don't worry about him," Pelin fumbled nervously.

"Well, we'll be back on our way," the Mayaar said, walking back out of the farmhouse and down the road. Vera came back out of Artin's room as Alyndel stared down the two loan sharks as they walked down the road in the light of the rising moon. Alyndel closed the shutters and turned on his sister," Who in Dread are they?! I swear, Vera, if you need me to waylay them and leave them in a ditch, just say the word. I've regretted a lot of killing, but I won't regret-"

"Enough, Alyndel. This is me and Pelin's business, not yours. I appreciate that you want to help Altin, but please just stay out of everything else like you've been for the last hundred years," pleaded Vera, pressing her palm against her forehead as she went to dispense dinner.

"I...I resent that!"

"I agree with your sister, please just get the herb, Alyndel. If there's one surefire way to help us, it's getting that herb. We'll deal with all our other problems independently. Here, try the soup."

Alyndel took the hint and shut up, not wanting to upset his sister after he had just met her again after so many decades. The soup was a good home-cooked meal, and Alyndel and Pelin talked lightly as Vera went to feed Altin. The night wore on until it was time for sleeping.

"Sald, you have to do this, just think of the hundreds of coppers you'll get from just one plant. If we get that grotto, we'll be set for ages. Let us follow him tomorrow. We'll kill him if he kills the beast, and then the grotto is open for us to do with as we please," negotiated the balding Mayaar.

"Are you even sure this lone elf can slay the beast of Ganghe's Grotto?" asked the burly, graying Reachman that was the leader of Sald's Bastards, a small but highly organized band of brigands and bandits united under him.

"We don't know because no one has tried before, but he has a fancy scabbard and a real-good shield, that must mean he's good at killing stuff."

"Fine, you may set out tomorrow to follow him. if you're successful, I'll compensate you nicely. If you both fail, it's extra installment-collecting duties for two months!"

"We'll get it done, one way or another," smiled the young, hungry Reachman.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Anowa » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Ingrid Grimsdottir
22 Miles East of Summerset

12th of Second Seed, 4E 901 // Some Rat-Fuck Inn

To most people, the din of lighthearted conversation, the bard playing some form of epic or self titled tale, and the sound of rough laughter around a card table were signs of positivity and no real cause for complaint. Ingrid hated it, hated them. Laughing and talking as if all was good in the world, half of them were probably village guards, or farmers, too stuck in their own little worlds to see the world outside. Nor see what an actual dead human being looks like. Ingrid saw it every time she closed her eyes. Over a decade of killing bandits, deserters, and the occasional rogue mage. All those faces having blended into an irremovable image burnt into her retina, one she saw everytime she blinked, closed her eyes, or went to bed.

Ingrid looked up from her glass at her travelling companion. They'd known each other for 4 days, but in that time Ingrid had already picked out a lot from the woman, the biggest being that she was a vampire, or just extremely averse to sunlight. It was the first that Ingrid had met, and Ingrid already felt some form of adverse reaction, be it instinctual, or just the envy of whenever she saw those of a younger disposition. Ingrid herself was no longer young, she felt it everytime she sat down, stood up, swung her sword, or whenever she needed to move. Her joints ached, and the skin she had that wasn't coated in scars was about the only thing that wasn't screaming by the end of the day. But she continued on, in some twisted form of self-denial. Trying to prove to herself that she was a good person, trying to make up for all the trouble she caused as a kid. For killing those men in that bar, and for being the direct cause of her family, her home and it's people being crushed under the heel of some asshole who's name she either couldn't remember, or didn't want to.

Foot steps approached her table, followed by the slamming of a fist down and an exclamation, "You killed my father!"

Ingrid looked up at the man, well, boy, lazily, almost disinterested, "I've killed a lot of people's fathers." As the much taller woman looked at the young man, and noticing the dagger in his off hand she frowned, "I take it you aren't at my table to simply inform me of your father's death?"

"No, I'm going to kill you the same way you killed him." he stood, dagger in hand, and Ingrid thought for a moment.

Her brow raised for a moment before her eyes widened, and then dulled, she'd only killed 5 people with a dagger in her life, after that it was either with her sword or an ice pick, "How old are you?"

The boy seemed to be caught off guard, and in a meek voice replied, "I'm..." he cleared his throat, and continued with a bit more bravado, "I'm seventeen."

Ingrid hummed, before grabbing her helmet off the table and slipping it on, she stared down at the boy, who was very noticeably rethinking his current plan, 'Well then. Get on with it. Kill me."

The boy's voice reverted to that of it's meek self, "I... I can't."

Ingrid's voice escalated to that of encouragement, "Well why not? You've got the dagger, have at me."

The boy's hand were now shaking "You're wearing plate armor, I can't get through that."

"Whereas the most well armored part of you is the armguard for your bow." Ingrid made a point to gesture at the worn piece of leather wrapped around his right arm. "That and you're using the dagger with your off hand. Which either means you're a functional moron, or your left eye is dominant."

The boy looked down at himself, before his shoulders drooped, "I guess this is where you kill me right, just like my father..." The boy sounded, well broken, as if his entire world had just dropped down around his knees, and to be fair he was now expecting to be bisected.

Looking at the boy, Ingrid saw a bit of herself in him. Living without aim or any further goals, generally just floating through life in hopes of accomplishing something. Gods know that if Ingrid found the man who had her hold and people killed she'd do the same as what he just tried to do. "No, sit down."

The boy looked a tad bit confused, but relented as he saw Ingrid take her won seat again, he set the dagger down on the table and looked at the woman expectantly. It was more than a few moment before Ingrid spoke again, "I'm sorry I killed your father."

The boy retorted rather quickly, 'Well that doesn't bring him back, now does it."

Ingrid paused, before refilling her glass, "No, but neither does killing me." she took a swig, as the boy furrowed his brows, "So, what kind of goals do you have in life besides killing me?"

The boy was silent for a long while, a good minute and a half, before he shook his head, like Ingrid suspected, he had no real other goals. She sighed, "Well, start making them kid, because life is going to be very short for you otherwise, wasting away in some backwater town doing... whatever it is you do."

The boy spoke, just barely above a mumble, "Hunting."

"Hunting?" Ingrid took another swig, "I suppose that's a start, go hunt an ogre, or drake or something big one day, instead of deer and rabbits."

"I want to come with you."

"Why the fuck would you want that?" Ingrid looked at the boy with a mix of perplexity and curiosity, "You are aware that my, well, job isn't exactly safe, nor easy."

"I am." the boy nodded, "But this village... it's dying. The mines nearby have run out of copper, and nearly everything else of value is being dug out by the ton by dwarves elsewhere. This village isn't going to be a good place for me much longer. And like you said, I need goals... I'm not gonna find any here."

Ingrid hummed, staring at the boy for a few moments, if she weren't tanked with alcohol, she'd be able to describe his head beyond 'blonde hair, blue eyes' but the blurriness was taking it's toll. "What's your name?"

"Bjorn, Bjorn Sorensson." the boy now had hope in his eyes.

Ingrid internally wondered what God had decided to make the last 4 minutes an absolute rush of emotion and shifting intent. But that would be a rather vain attempt to understand the Gods' way of thinking, and as such was a path of thought swiftly forgotten by the woman. "So, Bjorn, during the extent of this conversation, you've attempted to kill me, expected me to kill you, and now you want to come with me to gods know where?"

Bjorn nodded, "Yes."

Ingrid nodded and leaned back in the chair, "Go get what you think you'll need, and meet me back here before noon tomorrow. Then we'll take it from there."

The boy's face split into a smile as he all but rushed out of the tavern. Ingrid, in that moment, fully wanted to gather what small number of things she had and making a break for the next town, but she knew what kind of pain that would cause. Not only that, but it was the longest conversation she'd had in years, and this might've been something to finally put her mind at ease with that one fateful brawl. With a sigh, she downed the rest of her glass, and made to fill it back up.
Awards:
Tie Winner: Most Involved in P2TM, 2016
Winner: Best Crime RP, 2016

An Intro to Anowa

New Finnish Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Finnish Republic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Somewhere in the woods surrounding Herton village

A breeze swept through the forest, causing the leaves of the trees that covered the entire landscape to creek softly as their leaves rustled with the wind. The sound slow but steady stream of rushing water hung in the background as birds chirped in the branches above. Besides these subtle noises, however, the forest was quiet and calm, a sign that gave the elderly buck enough courage to begin to move once from where it had been sleeping the night before. It moved carefully, its hooves only making the slightest of noise as it slowly moved through the forest. It would stop in its tracks from time to time, glancing around its surroundings to ensure that no predators were around to observe it. Once its fears had been settled, it would begin to move once more. Its target was the stream of water that flowed through the center of the forest, the cool water being its preferred choice to sooth its thirst. After some time, the deer eventually reached the stream of water. Glancing around one more time, it felt safe enough to dip its head downwards and began to take a drink from the water below.

It wasn't long, however, until its head popped back upwards. Its nose had detected something in the wind, something it recognized after years of experience as something that meant danger. It couldn't tell where the scent came from, only knowing that it was close by. Turning its head around, it stared into the surrounding forest, its eyes scanning for anything that appeared out of the ordinary. It soon noticed exactly that, as something seemed to glimmer through the nearby bushes, a sight that should was not natural around here. Instinct kicked in, as its hind legs tensed up in preparation to bolt off to safety.

Unfortunately for it, it was too late for any chance at escape, as a thwack rang out, followed by a sharp and pain in the side of buck's body. Realizing it was in danger as well as spurred on by the pain, it bolted forward in hopes of losing its hunter by putting as much distance between the buck and it. However, the pain in its side flared with every motion, and the deer soon found itself unable to breath. Its strides became shorter and shorter as its legs grew weaker, until finally they gave out underneath it, sending it tumbling to the ground. The deer laid on its side for some time, unable to catch its breath no matter how deep of a breath it took.

Finally, it gave out a final wheezed breath as darkness overtook its vision.

With the deer being towed behind him in a makeshift cart, Edward let out a sigh of relief as the sight the outskirts of Herton greeted him. With his spirits renewed, he let out a small grunt as he continued to drag the deer towards the center of the village. He passed by several of the local villagers along the way, who shouted out greetings to his arrival. He replied to them with a content look on his face, proud of his recent kill. He had been stalking this buck for several days now, and had been about to give up on his hunt when the Geia had blessed him.

After some time, he eventually reached the outer rim of the fortified area of the village where Ser Randall's manor resided. Wooden palisades surrounded the area, a single gate being the only way for one to either enter or leave the area. He gave the guards a small nod as he reached them, one of them congratulating him for his successful hunt. Inside the palisades sat a two story building, the only one built that high in the entire village. While compared to that of the larger manors that dotted the duchy, it still was able to demonstrate the power its owner possessed over the land, even if he never made a point of showing this off to the commoners when he made his frequent trips around the village.

Walking over to where the caught game was to be brought, Edward was greeted with the sight of Alfred, Ser Randall's personal cook. It took only a single glance at what Edward had brought him to cause the chef to grin widely, as he rushed over to help drag the deer into the small building where the it would be skinned and then have the meat prepared. His part done, Edward let out a small yawn as he made his way over to doors of the manor.

Taking care to wipe his boots off, which were still covered in mud from his trek into the woods, he was greeted with the sound of conversation mixed in with frequent laughter. Entering the main dining hall, he found himself in the middle of a rowdy gathering one could hardly call a breakfast. All of Ser Randal's rangers were gathered around the table, the sight of empty mead mugs on the table indicating they had wasted no time in filling their bellies with alcohol. Ser Randall sat at the head of the table, a small grin on his face as Alto, the man in charge of the rangers, told him one of his numerous humorous tales of dealing with the bandits who would try and harass the local population from time to time.

"...and you should've seen the look on 'is face, sire, when he turned around only t' see the rest of 'is goons danglin' from the trees in the net we 'ad captured them in an hour prior! One of the poor lads at the top 'ad pissed himself in the process, causin' the whole mess of them t' have t' fester in it the 'ole time!"

A chorus of laughter erupted from the room, as most of the men had been there for said encounter and still found the memory to be hilarious. Ser Randall chuckled lightly, shaking his head at the tale. Looking past Alto, his eyebrows raised as he spotted Edward patiently awaiting for Alto to finish his story. The rest of the room, noticing their sire's gaze shift, turned around as well, rolling their eyes as they waited for Ser Randall to address the boy.

"Well, Edward, did you manage to catch the target of your obsessions finally, or did you finally start to miss your warm bed?"

Edward gave him a small bow, a victorious grin on his face as he answered.

"Sire, I'm pleased to inform you that you will be feasting on the finest of venison for some time."

He paused, an ornery look on his face as his gaze went over to Cedric, a member of the rangers not too older than him.

"And if I may be honest, sire, I rather enjoyed not having to share a room with Cedric for a few nights, as I no longer had to hear him weep in his sleep over his lack of success in finding a woman who could look past the abomination that Cedric calls his face."

With this, the room burst into laughter as a few of the rangers nudged at Cedric's sides with their elbows, much to his embarrassment. Ser Randall smiled softly at the jab towards the man, before reaching out to grab his knife and lightly tapped it against his mug, the sound causing the room to become silent immediately as the rangers knew this meant he had something to say.

"Well, I'm glad to hear of your success. While Cedric's face may share a resemblance to a boar's arse, I'm afraid we have much more important matters to intend to."

He glanced around the members of the room, who now held a hint of worry on their faces. Aside from the occasional bandit or monster that lurked within the surrounding woods, there weren't often matters that were deemed important enough for Ser Randall to address them like this. Clasping his hands together in front of him, a serious look emerged on Ser Randall's face as he continued.

"A white dove has been spotted flying above the skies. For those of you who do not know what this means, the Duke is longer in the land of the living."

A grim silence sat over the room, as the news reached the men's ears. While they had little interest for the political turmoil that gripped the land, they were wise enough to know that this would spell trouble even in a remote village like Herton. Thus, when Ser Randall spoke up, they all listened intensely as they awaited for what Ser Randall's response would be.

"Given this, I am obligated to send someone to observe the proceedings and send my regards. While we may be seen as insignificant in terms of the other lands of the duchy, I am still a vassal underneath the Duke, and thus need to fulfill my responsibilities as such."

His gaze settled upon Edward, much to the boy's confusion.

"Which is why you, Edward, along with Alto, shall go to High Rock to properly mourn on my behalf. I would attend myself, but I'm afraid I have other matters to deal with."

At this declaration, hushed murmurs broke out across the room, the loudest of which came from Alto who eventually raised his voice to Ser Randall.

"Sire, I beg my pardon, but I don't think the lad is ready for such a tas-"

Ser Randall's gaze hardened at the man.

"I did not know I needed your permission to order my own men around, Alto."

Alto's eyes widened as he realized what he had done, and was quick to give Ser Randall a bow.

"My humblest apologies."

Bringing his head up, Alto looked over to Edward, who was standing around awkwardly at the sight of the commotion caused by Ser Randall's orders.

"I promise t' keep the lad in order, sire."

Ser Randall's expression softened, as he let out a small sigh, unclasping his hands as he sat back in his seat.

"Aye, I know you will, Alto. That is why I am having you accompany the boy. He has many things to learn in this life, and while the forest can teach a man more than he could hope to learn in a single lifetime, he needs to see what else the world can offer besides this humble village."

At that comment, Edward was no longer able to contain himself.

"Sire, I swear to you that Herton is nothing to be seen down upon. You rule fair, our people prosper, and I have enjoyed every second you have blessed me with under your command!"

Edward's words seemed to amuse Ser Randall as he raised an eyebrow upon hearing his outburst.

"While I appreciate the comment, there are things that you must see before some fine maiden steals your heart and has you occupied with a litter of children."

A sly grin appeared on his face.

"Unlike poor Cedric here, I fear that this may come sooner rather than later for you."

The mood lifted, laughter once more filled the room, which Ser Randall allowed to continue for some time before holding a hand up to silence them.

"Get a meal into your belly, and then prepare for your trip. It's several days worth of riding to High Rock, and the sooner you leave the better."

Edward froze for a few moments, before reluctantly giving him a small bow and finding a place at the table to begin eating.

Several Days Later...

The streets of High Rock were bustling with activity as the city dwellers went about their daily routines, the shouting of vendors mixing in with the occasional shout from guards as they chased down a thief who had made the mistake of getting caught in the act. Horse-drawn carriages went up and down the crowded streets, carrying goods from across Atlas and beyond to be traded for.

For Edward, the environment was a completely new experience for him, even as they had already spent several days in the city. Under Ser Randall's orders, Alto had shown all of what a city as large as High Rock could offer, from inns where the food and drink always left one satisfied, to the vendors who offered exotic goods in exchange for coin, and even a brothel where Edward was introduced to an entirely different subsection of "new".

However, it was beginning to reach the point where they needed to return back to Herton. They would be spending the morning eating as much as their stomachs could handle before hitting the roads once more, where a long ride awaited them. While he wouldn't admit it to Alto, Edward secretly wished that they could spend more time there. There was just so much for him to explore, and unfortunately he possessed neither the time nor the coin to experience it all.

Letting out a content sigh as he placed his freshly emptied mug of ale onto the table between them, Alto spoke up to the much younger ranger sitting across from him.

"Go pay the innkeeper for our meal, an' throw a small tip in there as a t'anks for their hospitality over the last few nights, even after you 'ad puked all across the damn floor the other night."

Edward nodded reluctantly, looking down to reach for his coin purse as he got up from his seat to do as Alto had commanded him. However, as his attention was momentarily focused on retrieving the necessary coins, he suddenly felt himself bumping into a large object. He felt something splash lightly onto him, followed by the crashing of glass onto he floor below. Turning his head, he realized he had made a grievous mistake, as in his carelessness he had managed to send three freshly topped off glasses of ale all over the front of one of the guards who had been spending his time off duty at the inn.

The guard stood there for a few moments, staring at the sight of his clothes and chainmail being soaked in water, before he looked up to meet Edward's wide fearful eyes. Speaking through gritted teeth, Edward knew what was going to come next.

"You're going to pay for that, you little bastard!"

As the guard swung at Edward's face with his clenched fist, the young ranger nimbly ducked underneath the attack, desperately trying to put distance between himself and his assailant who roared in anger as he continued to launch blow after blow at him. While Edward was no fighter, he possessed the reflexes honed in by his training as a ranger to keep himself out of harm's way, much to the frustration of the offended guard. He knew that he couldn't outright attack the guard, as this would certainly spell his lockup in the dungeons if he hadn't condemned himself there already.

The guard, enraged at his lack of ability to be able to land a blow, decided to forgo any sense of control and instead lowered his head as he tried to tackle the offender. Edward saw it coming a mile away, and used the opportunity as a means of ending the fight as he waited until the last moment to duck out of the guard's path. Finding himself running not into the body of the young man but instead into empty air, the guard was unable to stop himself as he crashed through the window which had stood behind Edward. The man let out a scream as he saw the ground a story below him begin to approach, but these were soon cut short as a hand grasped at his ankle before he could fall down below.

The guard was then yanked back onto the floor of the inn, where a deep, grizzled voice spoke up in a threatening tone.

"If you've got any sense left in your after that embarrassment I'd hardly call a fight, you'd go back to the barracks and clean the shit that's sitting in your pants now."

The guard was about to unleash a flurry of threats in response, when his eyes widened in fear as he saw the towering man standing above him. With a shaking finger, the guard pointed up at the man, whose face was filled with nothing but contempt.

"You're..."

With this, the man picked the guard up to his feet.

"Aye, and you should feel lucky I don't report to your superiors for drinking in uniform. Now get out of here before I change my mind, or better yet, make you understand the wrath that the North Watch can bring."

The guard needed no further threats, as he quickly retreated off downstairs and then into the streets below. As he left, Edward noticed a considerable stain had appeared on the back of the man's pants. Whether it was from his near-death experience with crashing through the window, or through his apparent near-death expereince with the myserious man who had "rescued" him. While the thought of which of the two it had been was humorous to debate on, Edward's conerns were much more serious at the time, as he reluctantly reached a hand out to the man.

"Um, thank you, kind sir. I apologize for causing a scene, as I had no intentions of doing so."

He glanced nervously at the sight of the broken window before continuing.

"If you don't mind me asking, who are you that even the guards are afraid of you? I'm not from these parts, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge."
Known mostly as Finn, but also known as a few other things I can't put in a signature by those who know me.

American who got left too long in the sauna.

Proud to spread Spurdo Nationalism from sea to shining sea.

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:34 am

Isnhrion
Ember Tower
Aiwin Arrianus

In the days since the trial has been stressful for Aiwin. That night seem to be the pickaxe that was rapidly causing a crack in the rock that is the empire. Each day the crack is getting bigger as more nobles are picking sides. At this rate the empire unless a miracles happens, empire will cut in off and Prince Julek is preparing for it. Aiwin has been paying attention to what the prince has been doing since that night. Courting allies to his side as nobles get into also brawls with each other over the matter. While his brother is too distraught over what happened to his wife to find any allies of his own. Lhoris has been trying his best to prevent what is going to be another Ashen civil war but, if anything that Aiwin knows from exercise. Only in blood can end this now and someone already tried end a prince's life.

Even then, Aiwn has questions about that night. What could have cause a explosion that rocked the tower and while Ruven was more or less okay. His wife's body was no where to be found, only her necklace was all that remain of her. Did who ever caused it know that Ashoka was there with Ruven or did they only wanted Ruven dead and did she bear the brunt of the explosion by chance. Still that is only another set of questions that Aiwin has. The ones he still wonders to who the maunders that are besieging his home are. He has personally patrol the waters around Evermoor and has taken down his fair share of pirates. He has never heard of a group that has enough ships to blockage the whole of Alista let alone has any pirate leader that has the charisma to hold a vast among of outlaws together.

The more he thinks about it, the more it does not makes sense. More so why he father only sent a single hawk about what is happening. Aiwin knows that he father would have sent more then one hawk given what is happening at Alista. At least one hawk would have been for him, his father telling him the state of his family and Evermoor. But nothing since that hawk that arrived. This aura of uncertainty in theses increasing worrying times has had its tow on Aiwin and sleeping is becoming a a prized commodity. Aiwin can only hope that the Imperial Navy can break the siege and that his family is okay. A least then when his home is free he has a place to weather out the coming storm. Till then he needs to worry about more pressing more matters.

Aiwin opened the door to his room and lean out enough to get the attention of his gurads that were nearby. "Captain Caelus I need to speak to you".

One of the guards wearing a distinctive steel armor and warhammer befitting the leader of Aiwin's personal guard. Caelus has been apart of Aiwin's guard for decades and is one of Aiwin's close friends. Caelus quietly nodded at Aiwin and walk into Aiwin's room as Aiwin retreated inside. Closing the door as he entered and taking off his helmet revealing a Valyar with short red hair and small stubble. "Yes milord and what do you wish to discus? Speaking with a respectful tone.

"Caelus, you know full well how bad things are becoming in this city since the night of the trial. If things get worse and chances they will. I do not want to stay in this city anymore then I have to and until we can hopefully return to Evermoor soon. I need you to prepare our way out of the city so we can leave on a moment's notice".

"I understand my lord and I will sent out my brother Primus to make the preparations and I trust you want him to be quiet about it. Also is the destination for our departure?"

"Yes, Primus is also good at laying low if needed and for a destination. Somewhere out of Eldrion, the Reach seems like a good bet to go to since my family does have good relations with some of the nobles on the coast. I bet I could convince one of them could give me shelter till Evermoor is free given our trade history."

"Perhaps though I know how you feel about some of those nobles and I am not sure about which side those nobles are on", Caelus added.

"I do not know either yet and it is dangerous just to try to ask honestly unless I know I can trust one of them. "I can not stay here if the worse comes to pass".

"I suggest my lord that you consider asking one of the nobles that you know supports Ruven and try your hand with those ones before we departure the city."

"Yeah..... that is good idea Caelus and, Aiwin paused to think. "I can think of some I believe I can trust."

"Then meet with those nobles soon and you will be protect at all times by the guard just in case." Caelus reached for his hammer grabbed it firmly in his hand. "I have proved to be able to protect before and I will make sure that nothing will come close to harm you now".

"I know you will old friend, keep up the security and..... still no news from Evermoor? Aiwin tone shifted from cautious to a

Caelus shoke his head spoke in a sadden tone, "I am sorry but no news yet and as always you will informed as fast as possible if we caught any news of Evermoor."

"How are the you and the men doing? I know you and the rest of the guard are concerned for your families like I am."

"I am and they are but, it helps focus on something like our duty to protect you". Caelus leaned in closer with a small smile on his face. "It help that the men like to serve you since you do not act like most nobles and willing to knock them down a peg." A small laugh escaped Caelus's mouth, the men can not get over the reaction of that one ignorant noble when sided with that small-time merchant over him.

"Aiwin had a small chuckle, I remember that. Oh boy that guy was a real prick and I know what you trying to do Caelus."

"And you need to relax enough so you can sleep well. You should not be exhausted right now and try get a good night's sleep".

Aiwin sighed, "Yeah and before you sent Primus. "Sent word to Lord Heremond Carcaster about me wishing to talk to him about my situation at his earlier convenience."

"Why him first milord?

"I remember him from the council meeting and I know he did make it clear on his views on Julek during the trial. "I recall he is from the Reach and while he may be a target for those that support Julek. "That is one noble that I share a side with and I figured I should try him first".

"Understood milord and sent word to him tonight. I inform you with the preparations are done and when he is willing to talk to you.", Caelus put on his helmet and left the room, ordering word to be sent Lord Carcaster.

Aiwin walked to his bed and sat on on it with his hands on his knees. Staying up a bit longer thinking about his options and hoping he gets some type of good news before events take a drastic turn for the worse.
Last edited by Theyra on Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:45 am

Office of the High Chancellor, The Ember Tower, Isnhrion
Twelfth of Second Seed
Llavesa Faryon

Well - she wasn't the only person that had had a few rough days, at least. Llavesa moved past Alesane as she was let inside, bowing her head respectfully towards the tired young lady. Slowly, she approached Lhoris' desk, which together with several bookcases made a stark contrast with the rest of the rather extravagant room - really, it could've been a dining hall with how big it was, or a chapel with the way the light beamed down into it. The Valyaar found it impractically large, almost. Nobody needed to fill as many people in their office as this room could hold, that she was very certain of. No, whoever had designed this was a proper show-off. Unlike herself, of course.

She likewise bowed her head at the Potentate as she approached, and the man rose, before casting a spell. "Excellent," she responded, for a moment considering if it would be rude to pour herself some wine as well or not - ultimately deciding against it. "I could have," she remarked, shrugging, "but I figured it'd be improper to dress like I was about to work the fields and had to shield my skin to prevent any sunburn. But indeed. Let's discuss that instead." She gave a not-so-sincere, but vaguely pleasant smile, remaining standing in front of Lhoris' desk, hands folded behind her back. An eyebrow rose, the woman curious as she listened. "War, would be the obvious assumption, no? Although I cannot see any of our current... contestants aiming for the Shadow Legions of all things." She smiled, glancing past the man and at the windows. "Not a pleasant ending to your dreams, though. I can imagine being located this high up certainly wouldn't help any fear of heights, paired with that..."

Llavesa tilted her head at what came next, however, surprised that this was not what would be related to whatever her new job would be. "We do?" She asked. "What they use...?" She pursed her lips, blinking as the vial was presented to her. "...and what would it be you have me do, then, Potentate? I am at your service, as always, of course.."
Last edited by The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Everhall
Senator

Postby Everhall » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:35 pm

The Office of the High Chancellor, The Ember Tower, Isnhrion

Potentate Lhoris Varian of the Ashen Empire

"I'm very grateful for your service, Llavesa," the Potentate smiled momentarily, "I would trust no one else to do the assignment I have for you." His smile faded as he rolled the vial between his fingers, "If I recall, you're personally acquainted with this? Glimmerdust, potent, violate... dangerous. Rest assured your secret remains safe with me, but I hope it doesn't come in the way of you performing your assignment. This substance's been illegal for years, even the Light-Born, reckless as they may be, recognized the effect it had on the populous. Once it was criminalized the trade was driven underground, caves, sewers and the like, but people still seek them out in order to get their fix. One of the largest of these drug markets lies just under our feet in the Undercity in the tunnels and mines of Old Isnhrion. I'm sure you're aware of them."

Lhoris stood up and approached Llavesa, his face stern, "The city proper and the Undercity have often come into conflict over the years, riots, incursions. As you can tell the conflict hasn't exactly gone our way. That den of low-lives contain their own government, the Rhalata, that would give even the Thieves Guild a run for its money. This is extremely confidential, but the discovery of this vial could only mean one of two things: One, that our assassin is a dust addict; or Two, he may have been sent by the Rhalata. They've often employed such methods on merchants and the like, but a Prince?... In this day in age, anything is possible." Lhoris lifted a torn piece of cloth from the contents of his desk and showed Llavesa what would appear to be a flyer, "Agents in the Undercity say that something important is going on today, a meeting of the Rhalata higher echelons. Your mission is to infiltrate this meeting, whether unseen or seen, and find out what involvement they may have in this. You'll rendezvous with a fellow agent in the marketplace, Portly, a dwarf, he has connections to your second assignment. The symbol on this glimmerdust vial is that of one Raymond Knight, a Reachman dust trader. Find out who he sold to, and report back at 1800 hours. You may have to be resourceful on that one, from what I hear, he's a bloody bastard. Any questions?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse