NATION

PASSWORD

Sentient Nature: Return of the Snake Queen (sign up/ooc)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yellowstone-
Spokesperson

Founded: May 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Yellowstone- » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Also I never saw that OOC post

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Yellowstone- wrote:Also I never saw that OOC post

:/ I... may get another RP up you may join. Unfortunately my rulings have to be final if my threats are to be taken seriously. TG me what kind of RP your interested in and I'll see if I can get something up like that. I have an idea in mind... but don't know if it will interest you (seeing how you insisted on playing an arachnid)... it involves humanoid dinosaurs.... if that doesn't interest you just let me know what does. I feel pain for this but can not undo my ruling.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Yellowstone-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yellowstone- » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Yellowstone- wrote:Also I never saw that OOC post

:/ I... may get another RP up you may join. Unfortunately my rulings have to be final if my threats are to be taken seriously. TG me what kind of RP your interested in and I'll see if I can get something up like that. I have an idea in mind... but don't know if it will interest you (seeing how you insisted on playing an arachnid)... it involves humanoid dinosaurs.... if that doesn't interest you just let me know what does. I feel pain for this but can not undo my ruling.

Humanoid dinosaurs do not interest me

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Yellowstone- wrote:
Harbertia wrote::/ I... may get another RP up you may join. Unfortunately my rulings have to be final if my threats are to be taken seriously. TG me what kind of RP your interested in and I'll see if I can get something up like that. I have an idea in mind... but don't know if it will interest you (seeing how you insisted on playing an arachnid)... it involves humanoid dinosaurs.... if that doesn't interest you just let me know what does. I feel pain for this but can not undo my ruling.

Humanoid dinosaurs do not interest me

... not to bring - ok so- to bring up a previously mentioned grip- you again did not read the full post. You missed the part about letting me know what does interest you if the dinosaurs do not and instead cut strait to stating that your not interested. This is an issue I've noticed.
Tomorrow is made today.

Yellowstone-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yellowstone- » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Yellowstone- wrote:Humanoid dinosaurs do not interest me

... not to bring - ok so- to bring up a previously mentioned grip- you again did not read the full post. You missed the part about letting me know what does interest you if the dinosaurs do not and instead cut strait to stating that your not interested. This is an issue I've noticed.

Yeah I know I’m going to say what interests me, Sending a TG to you
Last edited by Yellowstone- on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Yellowstone- wrote:
Harbertia wrote:... not to bring - ok so- to bring up a previously mentioned grip- you again did not read the full post. You missed the part about letting me know what does interest you if the dinosaurs do not and instead cut strait to stating that your not interested. This is an issue I've noticed.

Yeah I know I’m going to say what interests me, Sending a TG to you

I appreciate this step towards mending any tension between us, and where an apology on my part something I could do (I cannot as I'd have to enforce my rulings to others) I would do so.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:28 pm

I like your post NewLakotah but how does he not know?

The meeting of those entrusted with finding Sala was to take place as planned for today at the Keep in the dais chamber.
Tomorrow is made today.

NewLakotah
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby NewLakotah » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Harbertia wrote:I like your post NewLakotah but how does he not know?

The meeting of those entrusted with finding Sala was to take place as planned for today at the Keep in the dais chamber.

Ahh... Guess i misunderstood that. I that that they had picked people to trust with the mission, and they were learning about the mission today to leave for it, not that our characters were already aware. My apologies.

Just chalk it up to late drunkenness and a bad hangover, then. :)
"How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right." ~~ Black Hawk, Sauk

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." ~~ Tecumseh

Free Leonard Peltier!!

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:35 pm

NewLakotah wrote:
Harbertia wrote:I like your post NewLakotah but how does he not know?

Ahh... Guess i misunderstood that. I that that they had picked people to trust with the mission, and they were learning about the mission today to leave for it, not that our characters were already aware. My apologies.

I certainly will as I had taken your first post as indication that your character had been out of town seeking out Sala and was returning - and now that I'm saying all that I realize how much of a misunderstanding that was.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Harbertia wrote:The operation has been going on for a week now, the associates in this endeavor of stopping Sala have largely been acting on their own. Following their own leads, getting information before organizing further with the others- their first real meeting would be soon- if not today it'd be tomorrow where upon they'd either continue to work as they have been or focus their efforts. Till that meeting they where on their own with their own assets- going about it their own way because the council directed them to do what they felt was best to do- and they had all done their own thing- with a few perhaps actually working together prior to the upcoming meeting.
Tomorrow is made today.

NewLakotah
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby NewLakotah » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Harbertia wrote:
NewLakotah wrote:Ahh... Guess i misunderstood that. I that that they had picked people to trust with the mission, and they were learning about the mission today to leave for it, not that our characters were already aware. My apologies.

I certainly will as I had taken your first post as indication that your character had been out of town seeking out Sala and was returning - and now that I'm saying all that I realize how much of a misunderstanding that was.
Harbertia wrote:
Harbertia wrote:The operation has been going on for a week now, the associates in this endeavor of stopping Sala have largely been acting on their own. Following their own leads, getting information before organizing further with the others- their first real meeting would be soon- if not today it'd be tomorrow where upon they'd either continue to work as they have been or focus their efforts. Till that meeting they where on their own with their own assets- going about it their own way because the council directed them to do what they felt was best to do- and they had all done their own thing- with a few perhaps actually working together prior to the upcoming meeting.

Ah, yes. I see that I missed that point of that post. Again, sorry, that's my fault for not paying attention as much as I should have been.
"How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right." ~~ Black Hawk, Sauk

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." ~~ Tecumseh

Free Leonard Peltier!!

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:42 pm

NewLakotah wrote:
Harbertia wrote:I certainly will as I had taken your first post as indication that your character had been out of town seeking out Sala and was returning - and now that I'm saying all that I realize how much of a misunderstanding that was.
Harbertia wrote:

Ah, yes. I see that I missed that point of that post. Again, sorry, that's my fault for not paying attention as much as I should have been.

I think we both didn't catch on to details as I didn't realize the misunderstandings we had till now but yes it would have been avoided sooner with careful reading by both of us.
Tomorrow is made today.

NewLakotah
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby NewLakotah » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:43 pm

Harbertia wrote:
NewLakotah wrote:Ah, yes. I see that I missed that point of that post. Again, sorry, that's my fault for not paying attention as much as I should have been.

I think we both didn't catch on to details as I didn't realize the misunderstandings we had till now but yes it would have been avoided sooner with careful reading by both of us.

Right. I'll be sure of that going forward.

Free Leonard Peltier!!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:12 am

Hey Harb, I'll try to get a post up today or tomorrow, although I am unsure of what to write about.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:00 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:Hey Harb, I'll try to get a post up today or tomorrow, although I am unsure of what to write about.

That's understandable due to your main contact being dismissed.

Be at the meeting, according to a recent post your already there.
Tomorrow is made today.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Hey Harb, I'll try to get a post up today or tomorrow, although I am unsure of what to write about.

That's understandable due to your main contact being dismissed.

Be at the meeting, according to a recent post your already there.

That would be Razorclaw, right? Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:01 pm

I realize that we should decide on who is gonna open the meeting... also our numbers may have gotten too small. Should I create some NPCs or use a pre-existing one?
Tomorrow is made today.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Harbertia wrote:I realize that we should decide on who is gonna open the meeting... also our numbers may have gotten too small. Should I create some NPCs or use a pre-existing one?

Probably use some NPCs.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Harbertia wrote:I realize that we should decide on who is gonna open the meeting... also our numbers may have gotten too small. Should I create some NPCs or use a pre-existing one?

Probably use some NPCs.

eh... That's even more characters for me to keep up with- like it was just suppose to be the player characters looking for Sala :/
Tomorrow is made today.

Achidyemay
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Achidyemay » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Probably use some NPCs.

eh... That's even more characters for me to keep up with- like it was just suppose to be the player characters looking for Sala :/

I better make a character then
Dear Sir: Regarding your article 'What's Wrong with the World?' I am.
Yours truly,
G.K. Chesterton

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:40 pm

Achidyemay wrote:
Harbertia wrote:eh... That's even more characters for me to keep up with- like it was just suppose to be the player characters looking for Sala :/

I better make a character then

Groovy :D
Tomorrow is made today.

The Mystery Bard
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mystery Bard » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:48 pm

I’m Jarl Ballin’, Ballin’, Ballin’....

Achidyemay
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

She Done

Postby Achidyemay » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Character Name: Olufemi Lutris
Animal: Sea Otter
Biographical Details:
The Isle de Barbarossa is a mile long, shallow island off the coast of Walsh to the Southwest. It is roughly hourglass shaped and is a half mile wide at it's widest point on the northern portion, this is also the highest portion. The central lowlands are prone to flooding at particularly high tides. Surrounded on both sides by treacherous reefs the waters are treacherous to inexperienced sailors and swimmers. However, the Isle boasts natural ports on both the Northern and Southern portion that form natural harbors, where the waters are calm and deep. This, along with the dozens of caves that riddle the Isle and its central position along the continent's seas, made the island a prime entrepôt for sailors in the region, in particular merchants from the distant Southwest lands of Llúdriga who would call this Island home, trading with the people of Walsh.

Over time, the island became rather prosperous and the limited wood resources were consumed rapidly as warehouses and offices were built. Permanent residences began to dot the islands and opportunistic captains looking for a quick buck started raiding the supply lines and the island. While the merchants had operated autonomously for quite some time, the various mercenaries that sprang up started to run protectioneering rackets and eventually banded together into one force. The merchants, realizing the military power wielded by the group, legitimized them within the newly forming government, creating the Lutrinae Guard. To their credit, the Lutrinae Guard worked extremely effectively and closely with the traders, often rooting out smuggling, corruption and eventually winning a brief independence war against Llúdriga that freed the merchants from punitive taxes. When the Barbarossa Republic was fully brought about, Aruj Lutris, Admiral of the Lutrinae Gaurd was nominated as speaker.

The Barbarossa Republic proved to be extraordinarily progressive and metropolitan in its laws, granting extensive liberties to its citizens. For obvious reasons this soured relationships with Walsh and after a series of murders committed by some snake merchants in the slave trade the contentious Rights of Sapient Slaves Act was passed by a marginal victory. When the murders continued, the snake merchants were stripped of their assets and banished. When she heard of this, the Tyrantess declared that the slaves had been stolen from her (those snakes had been servants of the queen) and sent an envoy to collect them. When they were turned away, the envoy attacked, leaving several wounded and two dead before they were defeated and executed. Another contentious bill would be passed that evening: the Serpent Dismissal Act called for the deportment of all snakes from the island, even those who had existed peacefully thus far, and barred entry of any snakes. The bill only passed after the removal of the rider that would prevent the sale of slaves to snakes.

With the passing of this act, the Isle de Barbarossa became a shining beacon for animals across Walsh who saw it as an opportunity to flee snake persecution. The price of ferries to the island skyrocketed and with the arrival of industrious rodents the island developed into a densely inhabited mecca. Many would die in makeshift rafts overburdened or ill captained and many more would die attempting to swim the distance. Relations continued to sour despite the efforts of the islands diplomats as the Tyrantess issued harsh trade embargoes. Simultaneously, snakes were frequently seen on the channel and would accost ships and swimmers alike, particularly targeting the escapees. The serpent Dismissal Act was strengthened and the Lutrinae Guard was called into action. With the use of tridents and fishing spears, the snakes were speared from the underside and dragged beneath the surface. This lasted a long time and proved extremely effective.

When reports came in from spies that the Tyrantess was building a fleet for a land invasion, the Island was mobilized and defensive structures were set up. The large smuggling network throughout Walsh that had been established along trade routes was focused almost solely on the timber industry as wood was shipped to the island. In the fervor, many would go hungry. When the invasion finally began it was well anticipated and the Barbarossa Fleet was able to hold back the Walsh Armada. The Tyrantess' response was simple, double the ships and try again. And again. And again. Despite capturing multiple ships in each battle, the resources of the Isle de Barbarossa were eclipsed heavily by the resources of the Walsh Forest and the Lutrinae Guard was eventually forced to scuttle the last of their ships along the narrow waterways. With the normal routes around the reef blocked and the island heavily fortified, the Tyrantess decided that establishing a blockade would be better than an expensive assault.

For the next year, smuggling goods past the blockade was the national past-time. The experienced sailors had an easy time slipping around the armada and the inventors set about creating faster and shallower-draft ships. Disappointed in the lack of success of the blockade, the Tyrantess began the assault of the island, sailing the ships that could over the treacherous shoals until they were in range of catapults. Many, many ships were lost and beached and the Isle's own artillery would take out many ships as well. The assault had been well predicted by spies within the capitol and the Island had been mostly evacuated in the weeks prior, with only a few key citizens and the Lutrinae Gaurd remaining. The fighting was protracted and fierce. The southern fort would fall after 3 days of direct assault, the Northern fort would fall two days after. Using the tunnels and couches built into the Isle, most of the Lutrinae Guard that had not died in the fighting was able to escape. The Tyrantess annexed the island and burned it to the ground.

It would not be until Samuel's Rebellion that the Isle would again be habitated, reclaimed by the Republic. While they maintained a great deal of autonomy, they voted to remain a part of Walsh and offered to reestablish powerful trade routes throughout the continent in exchange for help rebuilding. Even now, three years later, the sounds of saws and hammers are omnipresent and the island gleams with the color of freshly cut wood. Ajus Lutris has again been elected as the Speaker and sits on the Council of Walsh.
Olufemi Lutris prepares to ambush an Elapid riverboat
Image courtesy of Hibbary
With the Isle de Barbarossa razed, the Lutrinae Guard was officially disbanded, many of its members remained loyal to the cause and went into hiding throughout Walsh, organizing resistance groups and establishing spy networks. Their destabilizing effects would be extremely beneficial to Samuel's Revolution five years later.

While many of the otters were acting independently of one another or within small groups the networks they created were collectively known as the Riverbed Network, famous for freeing many slaves and hiding fugitives. Aruj Lutris organized the Northeastern portion of the Walsh forest and would serve as one of Samuel's first Generals and Spy Master. Olufemi Lutris worked with the Provocax Family, one of the strongest otter families at that point, since they lived along the rivers and not on the Isle de Barbarossa, to form a raiding band. The band wreaked havoc upon the other river traders and made multiple attacks on river and coastal estates, freeing slaves and killing snakes. Many began to mark their fur with black paint to show solidarity and camaraderie and identify themselves from the other otters, as well as to scare the living daylight out of their victims. In the River Protection Decree, the Tyrantess called for the "death of the scum that roam the rivers, those black furred marauders, may they never see the light of day again." Olufemi Lutris renamed his band the Black Fur Marauders in honor of the Tyrantess' decree.

While they occasionally ran into trouble, the resistance group was largely able to escape capture, operating around rivers to ensure a quick get away. Barbarossa spies reported skirmishes in the Northeast around this time and later historians would agree this was the arrival of Samuel. Olufemi joined his father when the East was liberated and the Black Fur Marauders, bolstered by hope and dormant Lutrinae Guard would be instrumental in the capture of the Walsh Armada and preventing the Tyrantess' escape.

Olufemi was born at the height of the Tyrantess' reign on the Isle de Barbarossa. Growing up he was a fun loving and adventurous kid, often getting in trouble on the merchant ships. When he was very young, Olufemi was pressed into his father's privateer company. He excelled. Olufemi became renowned for his affable and stong-willed temperament, often being extremely level-headed and serious while in command, but during time of relaxation partying it up without a care in the world. The "two sides of Olufemi" often surprised those who didn't know him, either not expecting the fun-loving, wise-cracking otter to be exacting and no-nonsense at the helm, or vice versa. As soon as was available, Olufemi was promoted to captain by his father and he spent the next few years protecting long haul freighters across the seas. He was in Llúdriga when the declaration of independence arrived and he spent the summer there, sabotaging the war fleet's best ships so that an adequate offensive couldn't be mounted. When the Barbarossa diplomats first arrived to begin to renegotiate trade deals, Olufemi rescued them from prison and organised a glass and wax trade ship for them all to ride home. After that ship arrived, trade relations began to normalize again.

When he returned home, he immediately signed with the Lutrinae Guard and served his father loyally, becoming an effective lieutenant. His creative solutions to problems often lead to a new way of doing things and he was the first to pioneer the snake spearing technique. He generally positioned himself in the front line and relied on his agility and acrobatic prowess, as well as the environment, to take down opponents. He believed strongly in acquiring knowledge and worked with the rodent shipwrights to understand ship designs and made many many friends wherever he went, always keeping his ears open to tips. He attributes his being alive today to his many friends and connections. His own ship was lost in the Third Walsh-Barbarossa Skirmish. Thankfully both he and his crew were as comfortable in the water as the rigging and were able to escape back to the island. He fought at the North fort during its siege and escaped through a small couch when the southwest tower began to fall. He was very sad to see his home burn to the ground and spent many days mourning its loss.

Swearing vengeance he convinced his friends within the Provocax family to join him. They knew the rivers better than any other otter family, and Olufemi spent a long time studying the waterways and habits of the other animals and their communities before launching his first offensive. It was against a small fishing vessel with connection to the Elapids, a powerful family within the snake caste, this was the first of many ships that he would sink. That family in particular, being the most powerful in the East, would face the brunt of Olufemi's rage. Olufemi was careful to establish a good relationship with their mouse slaves, a hard won effort since he recognized a few from the slave trade that he had defended only a few years prior.

When the Tyrantess started to turn her attention to the frequent attacks, Olufemi was forced into a bit of a retreat. His band hand to become much more careful and more of their time was spent constructing hideouts and planning attacks than actually doing any good. The effort payed dividends, however, as even during this time of high scrutiny, with crocodiles patrolling the water and the warning calls of the kingfisher, no one in his band was captured. Well, not for long anyway.

When Samuel arrived, Olufemi was keenly interested in how capable the mongoose adventurer may be. He heard his father had begun to serve as his adviser in the area and he was delighted to see estate after estate fall to his swift hands. While the open rebellion made him quite nervous, the chance that it may succeed and this dynasty may finally defeated was an alluring proposition. He made arrangements on three separate occasions to meet with Samuel, but had to cancel each time, once to avoid a raid and twice due to an unexpected shift in patrol that prevented his travels. They began a correspondence, however, providing support by cutting supply lines and destabilizing forts as Samuel lead the charge against the Eastern provinces. When the two finally met it was well after the siege of Fort Blacktree, one of the cobra strongholds and the heart of the Elapid family's holdings. It was a strong blow against the Tyrantess. As the fort was being garrisoned and in the down time between the next few days, Samuel trained Olufemi personally on fighting stances effective against snakes. Olufemi was tireless during these lessons, working hard to master the forms.

Despite greatly improving his effectiveness against the snakes, Olufemi preferred to work with the element of surprise on his side, and left Samuel weeks later, travelling west, ahead of the campaign, to rally the old Lutrinae Guard and smuggle information back to Samuel. When it was time to siege the capitol, Olufemi worked with the slave mice and his Marauders to scuttle ships in the bay and also along the rivers, posting his fastest men and women at critical junctions. Of the four Royal family members to escape, three were caught immediately. The whereabouts of Sala proved to be a mystery, much to Olufemi's disdain. Since then, tracking her down has been his prime goal in life.

It's been three years know and the trail has become very cold. Every vaguely mean or purple snake is reported to Olufemi as Sala and it's harder and harder to parse the growing conspiracy that Samuel missed one and the reality that he did. Olufemi knows the power of information better than most and respects the secrecy promoted by the council, but it does make his job harder. With each report growing more and more hopeless, Olufemi was preparing to throw in the towel, content to watch for mean snakes and not just this specific reptile. The report that crossed his path of Sala's return seemed to be just another story, but the specifics of the evidence were damning. News of her capture by the Birds of Prey was followed by yet another report of her evident escape and just a day later the council announced, albeit quietly, that it was calling a meeting of the disparate groups on the case. It seemed things were ramping up.

Equipment: Olufemi typically wears a sash around his waist and maybe one over his shoulder, securing his saber and a variety of small daggers around his body. Right now he's holding a bottle of rum and has three oysters and his stone in his arm sacks for later consumption.
Last edited by Achidyemay on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yours truly,
G.K. Chesterton

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Achidyemay wrote:This is a Work In Progress, I've gotta go kayaking with my mother, the History sections are pretty much done but not proof-read, so I'm sorta submitting them for review, k' see yah!

Character Name: Olufemi Lutris
Animal: Sea Otter
Biographical Details:
The Isle de Barbarossa is a mile long, shallow island off the coast of Walsh to the Southwest. It is roughly hourglass shaped and is a half mile wide at it's widest point on the northern portion, this is also the highest portion. The central lowlands are prone to flooding at particularly high tides. Surrounded on both sides by treacherous reefs the waters are treacherous to inexperienced sailors and swimmers. However, the Isle boasts natural ports on both the Northern and Southern portion that form natural harbors, where the waters are calm and deep. This, along with the dozens of caves that riddle the Isle and its central position along the continents seas, made the island a prime entrepôt for sailors in the region, in particular merchants from the distant Southwest lands of Llúdriga who would call this Island home, trading with the people of Walsh. Over time, the island became rather prosperous and the limited wood resources were consumed rapidly as warehouses and offices were built. Permanent residences became a thing as well as raids. While the merchants had operated autonomously for quite some time, the various mercenaries that sprang up started to run protectioneering rackets and eventually banded together into one force. The mercenaries, realizing the military power wielded by the group legitimized them within the newly forming government creating the Lutrinae Gaurd. To their credit, the Lutrinae Gaurd worked extremely effectively and closely with the traders, often rooting out smuggling, corruption and eventually winning a brief independence war against Llúdriga that freed the merchants from punitive taxes. When the Barbarossa Republic was fully brought about, Aruj Lutris, Admiral of the Lutrinae Gaurd was nominated as speaker. The Barbarossa Republic proved to be extraordinarily progressive and metropolitan in its laws, granting extensive liberties to its citizens. For obvious reasons this soured relationships with Walsh and after a series of murders committed by some snake merchants in the slave trade the contentious Rights of Sapient Slaves Act was passed by a marginal victory. When the murders continued, the snake merchants were stripped of their assets and banished. When she heard of this, the Tyrantess declared that the slaves had been stolen from her and sent an envoy to collect them. When they were turned away, the envoy attacked, leaving several wounded and two dead before they were defeated and executed. Another contentious bill would be passed that evening, the Serpent Dismissal Act called for the deportment of all snakes from the island, even those who had existed peacefully thus far, and barred entry of any snakes. The bill only passed after the removal of the rider that would prevent the sale of slaves to snakes. With the passing of this act, the Isle de Barbarossa became a shining beacon for animals across Walsh who saw it as an opportunity to flee snake persecution. The price of ferries to the island skyrocketed and with the arrival of industrious rodents the island developed into a densely inhabited mecca. Many would die in makeshift rafts overburdened or ill captained and many more would die attempting to swim the distance. Relations continued to sour despite the efforts of the islands diplomats as the Tyrantess issued harsh trade embargoes. Simultaneously, snakes were frequently seen on the channel and would accost ships and swimmers alike, particularly targeting the escapees. The serpent Dismissal Act was strengthened and the Lutrinae Guard was called into action. With the use of tridents and fishing spears, the snakes were speared from the underside and dragged beneath the surface. This lasted a long time and proved extremely effective. When reports came in from spies that the Tyrantess was building a fleet for a land invasion, the Island was mobilized and defensive structures were set up. The large smuggling network throughout Walsh that had been established along trade routes was focused almost solely on the timber industry as wood was shipped to the island. In the fervor, many would go hungry. When the invasion finally began it was well anticipated and the Barbarossa Fleet was able to hold back the Walsh Armada. The Tyrantess' response was simple, double the ships and try again. And again. And again. Despite capturing multiple ships in each battle, the resources of the Isle de Barbarossa were eclipsed heavily by the resources of the Walsh Forest and the Lutrinae Guard was eventually forced to scuttle the last of their ships along the narrow waterways. With the normal routes around the reef blocked and the island heavily fortified, the Tyrantess decided that establishing a blockade would be better than an expensive assault. For the next year, smuggling goods past the blockade was the national past-time. The experienced sailors had an easy time slipping around the armada and the inventors set about creating faster and shallower draft ships. Disappointed in the lack of success of the blockade, the Tyrantess began the assault of the island, sailing the ships that could over the treacherous shoals until they were in range of catapults. Many many ships were lost and beached and the Isle's own artillery would take out many ships as well. The assault had been well predicted by spies within the capitol and the Island had been mostly evacuated in the weeks prior, with only a few key citizens and the Lutrinae Gaurd remaining. The fighting was protracted and fierce. The southern fort would fall after 3 days of direct assault, the Northern fort would fall two days after. Using the tunnels and couches built into the Isle, most of the Lutrinae Guard that had not died in the fighting was able to escape. The Tyrantess annexed the island and burned it to the ground.
With the Isle de Barbarossa razed, the Lutrinae Guard was officially disbanded, many of its members remained loyal to the cause and went into hiding throughout Walsh, organizing resistance groups and establishing spy networks. Their destabilizing effects would be extremely beneficial to Samuel's Revolution five years later. While many of the otters were acting independently of one another or within small groups the networks they created were collectively known as the Riverbed Network, famous for freeing many slaves and hiding fugitives. Aruj Lutris organized the Northeastern portion of the Walsh forest and would serve as one of Samuel's Generals and Spy Master. Olufemi Lutris worked with the Provocax Family, one of the strongest otter families at that point since they lived along the rivers and not on the Isle de Barbarossa, to form a raiding band. The band wreaked havoc upon the other river traders and made multiple attacks on river and coastal estates, freeing slaves and killing snakes. Many began to mark their fur with black paint to show solidarity and camaraderie and identify themselves from the other otters, as well as to scare the living daylight out of their victims. In the River Protection Decree, the Tyrantess called for the "death of the scum that roam the rivers, those black furred marauders, may they never see the light of day again." Olufemi Lutris renamed his band the Black Fur Marauders in honor of the Tyrantess' decree. While they occasionally ran into trouble, the resistance group was largely able to escape capture, operating around rivers to ensure a quick get away. Barbarossa spies reported skirmishes in the Northeast around this time and later historians would agree this was the arrival of Samuel. Olufemi joined his father when the East was liberated and the Black Fur Marauders, bolstered by hope and dormant Lutrinae Guard would be instrumental in the capture of the Walsh Armada and preventing the Tyrantess' escape.

Olufemi was born at the height of the Tyrantess' reign on the Isle de Barbarossa. Growing up he was a fun loving and adventurous kid, often getting in trouble on the merchant ships. When he was very young, Olufemi was joined with the Lutrinae Guard. He excelled. Olufemi became renowned for his affable and stong-willed he was put in charge of a patrol ship from his father's fleet and fo
Equipment: (IF ANY)

Despite this just being a work in progress, reviewing the lore I'd say you've done wonderful here and I approve. I also thank you for giving more life to the setting.
Tomorrow is made today.

Achidyemay
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby Achidyemay » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:36 pm

alright that is that, I look forward to this RP
Yours truly,
G.K. Chesterton

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse