NATION

PASSWORD

Gotham: A New Generation (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yaana Noore
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaana Noore » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Auphelia wrote:
United States of Brainy wrote:
But in order to get there, you're railroading over everything Vic is doing which is really not fair and really doesn't help the story either.

Hm . . . I guess I am just really looking forward to the dinosaurs and explosions and secret twins and possibly evil AI drone army and the sunken islands and I have too many machinations in work that will lead to the downfall of The Queen.

That all seems dumb and too unrealistic and not fitting for the tone of the Gotham RPs.

If we go down a route of bringing back dinosaurs (because money) for some stupid army and using an OP AI even more then I'm probably gonna leave this as it has deviated from what I thought this was about.

Haedros 92712
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Haedros 92712 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Posted for a third time today, because this is the most active I’ll ever be in one day.
"Dying is not very sex." - Some idiot, 2020

I prefer she/they pronouns, and I enjoy not having to debate people over whether or not they should respect that. If they/them pronouns aren't something you're cool with, just use she/her. Thanks! -That same idiot, 2020

Without further ado:
ANIME TIME :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3

United States of Brainy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Brainy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Auphelia wrote:
Personal Freedom wrote:Just wait. You'll have your chaos :twisted:

I guess I have to wait.

*sigh*

Please don't feel that way. You'll still have fun, promise. :hug:

Okay, I'm going to re-read the entire Vic/Ruth exchange from the beginning and if you and Tam haven't come to an agreement on a course of action going forward, I will come up with something and see if we can't agree on that.
Last edited by United States of Brainy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of Brainy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Brainy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Yaana Noore wrote:
Auphelia wrote:
Hm . . . I guess I am just really looking forward to the dinosaurs and explosions and secret twins and possibly evil AI drone army and the sunken islands and I have too many machinations in work that will lead to the downfall of The Queen.

That all seems dumb and too unrealistic and not fitting for the tone of the Gotham RPs.

If we go down a route of bringing back dinosaurs (because money) for some stupid army and using an OP AI even more then I'm probably gonna leave this as it has deviated from what I thought this was about.

I've gotten everyone this far, Yaana, so all I ask is that you have a little faith in me. I would really really hate it if you left.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:32 pm

United States of Brainy wrote:
Pleas don't feel that way. You'll still have fun, promise. :hug:

Okay, I'm going to re-read the entire Vic/Ruth exchange from the beginning and if you and Tam haven't come to an agreement on a course of action going forward, I will come up with something and see if we can't agree on that.

I'm sure I'll have fun . . . no wonder Batman is able to take care of Gotham, the power threshold is too low!

:lol:

I still want to kill everyone off . . .
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Tamrida
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tamrida » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:53 pm

United States of Brainy wrote:Okay, seriously, Auphelia and Tam, we need to take a pause and work something out here. I'm really not comfortable with Ruth's last post because I feel it's forcing too many reactions and insisting on a course of action entirely favorable to Ruth.

Exactly, power gaming the system. While not necessarily breaking the rules, their characters can break RP immersion and strength limitations to bring a favorable outcome with their characters becoming far more powerful then all other characters in play.

With NPCs, I can be more lenient/understanding if someone want to get a story arc wrapped up or character to do some impressive feat, but when it comes to player characters (Sidney beats up Batgirl despite no combat training whatsoever on her part to be a martial arts master, Less can instantly and completely ruin an entire person's life because they had a conspiracy theory that hit too close to the actual evil plot with no limitations except for a billboard) that is when it becomes too braking of the RP in order to make the most powerful characters out of all of the others.

Auph, I get what you are trying to go for, you want an epic battle for the city with dinosaurs, explosions, and fork throwing college girls, leading up to her downfall at her moment of victory at the hands of her own hubris and Batman, but by curb stomping anyone who just thinks about stopping you into a point of no recovery and no point to fight back is both unfair and unfun. You mentioned stakes and how they need to escalate, I would just like to ask, what stakes? If your characters can instantly arrest/indebt/kill/brainwash anybody else (except for Batman who is your only weakness apparently) then there are no stakes, there is no challenge, and there is no real game.

I would like to ask you: Wouldn't the stakes be higher if Ruth had more challenges that she can't just brush aside, such as the populace starting to become suspicious of Ruth's activities and there is pressure from more forces to possibly enact her plan before it is ready leading to its downfall?

I certainly think so. Not only could it lead to interesting character development, with Ruth acting all cocky that her plan will go off without a hitch but slowly people start to get suspicious, leading her to go against her best knowledge and feed her ego to prove that her plan is successful no mater what, it would also open the door to more plot options, as maybe when Crow is robbing the mansion she comes across plans for resurrecting dinos or something like that. Not only do these make Ruth not an indestructible-except-in-the-climax villain who can defeat any opposition with ease, they also open the door to better and fun-er RP options with interesting twists from both sides.

I understand that this might feel weird or unnatural, and I get that. You are being told to slow down, to not rush down your pre-idealized path, and work other peoples narratives to flow smoothly with your own, despite how different the change may seem. I have been there, and I can assume that virtually every other RPer right now has, is, or is soon going to be there as well. When you make your character's only foil be the main hero of the story, and disregard all other input to get to the climactic hero v villain fight, you push aside or bend to your way the other attempts and plot lines of other players to satisfy that climactic battle, something that everyone messes up on and tries to do. The key is to notice when you may be doing it and understanding when to stop and change course to mutual merge with the other stream instead of trying to force one stream to merge with the others.

I have to go for now, but in the morning we can discuss a way to fix the current Vic/Ruth situation and go forward, both satisfied with the result.

Illegal Planets
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Illegal Planets » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Yaana Noore wrote:
Auphelia wrote:

To be fair, we have a demon puppy on it's way to see the mayor right now, so
MDE never dies

”My rock and roll is not to entertain, but to annihilate"

Yaana Noore
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaana Noore » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:58 pm

Illegal Planets wrote:To be fair, we have a demon puppy on it's way to see the mayor right now, so

Yeah, it's kinda spiralled from anti-gravity to lava fortresses to overpowered AI to dinosaurs to that. Not much is my cup of tea anymore really.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Tamrida wrote:
Auph, I get what you are trying to go for, you want an epic battle for the city with dinosaurs, explosions, and fork throwing college girls, leading up to her downfall at her moment of victory at the hands of her own hubris and Batman, but by curb stomping anyone who just thinks about stopping you into a point of no recovery and no point to fight back is both unfair and unfun. You mentioned stakes and how they need to escalate, I would just like to ask, what stakes? If your characters can instantly arrest/indebt/kill/brainwash anybody else (except for Batman who is your only weakness apparently) then there are no stakes, there is no challenge, and there is no real game.

I would like to ask you: Wouldn't the stakes be higher if Ruth had more challenges that she can't just brush aside, such as the populace starting to become suspicious of Ruth's activities and there is pressure from more forces to possibly enact her plan before it is ready leading to its downfall?

I certainly think so. Not only could it lead to interesting character development, with Ruth acting all cocky that her plan will go off without a hitch but slowly people start to get suspicious, leading her to go against her best knowledge and feed her ego to prove that her plan is successful no mater what, it would also open the door to more plot options, as maybe when Crow is robbing the mansion she comes across plans for resurrecting dinos or something like that. Not only do these make Ruth not an indestructible-except-in-the-climax villain who can defeat any opposition with ease, they also open the door to better and fun-er RP options with interesting twists from both sides.

I have to go for now, but in the morning we can discuss a way to fix the current Vic/Ruth situation and go forward, both satisfied with the result.

I know, it just seems that much better to have everything going perfectly and then BAM!

Downfall.

Like that bus at the end of Mean Girls.

Still, whatever works, I suppose.
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

United States of Brainy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Brainy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks, Tam, you said it better than I ever could. Okay, this is beginning to feel like a dogpile (no pun intended, Illegal P) so we're moving on. I will TG the affected parties and if anyone still wants to raise a concern, please TG me.

Illegal Planets
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Illegal Planets » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:04 pm

United States of Brainy wrote:Thanks, Tam, you said it better than I ever could. Okay, this is beginning to feel like a dogpile (no pun intended, Illegal P) so we're moving on. I will TG the affected parties and if anyone still wants to raise a concern, please TG me.

:lol:
MDE never dies

Whalestron
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Whalestron » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:55 pm

I very nearly forgot that STAR Labs isn’t a Gotham thing lol.

I think I’m going to change Cooper's thing from hunting down the mayor to Wayne Enterprises, he’s seeking a way to raise the dead so scientists would make more sense than the mayor.

United States of Brainy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Brainy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Whalestron wrote:I very nearly forgot that STAR Labs isn’t a Gotham thing lol.

I think I’m going to change Cooper's thing from hunting down the mayor to Wayne Enterprises, he’s seeking a way to raise the dead so scientists would make more sense than the mayor.

You're back from the fireworks, yay! And I'm pretty sure that there's a Gotham branch of STAR Labs in canon so that's fine. :)

http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_S.T.A.R._Labs

Edit- Or Wayne Enterprises, whatever works.
Last edited by United States of Brainy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of Brainy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Brainy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 pm

So all eyes on Damian, he better not screw it up! :lol:

And with all the crazy happenings, it might not get all the attention but the chess game between Charlie Dent and Dr. Meredith is truly something to behold. Great job, T & T. :)

The Mank
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mank » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm

United States of Brainy wrote:So all eyes on Damian, he better not screw it up! :lol:

And with all the crazy happenings, it might not get all the attention but the chess game between Charlie Dent and Dr. Meredith is truly something to behold. Great job, T & T. :)

At this point I was considering letting Damian die and enjoying the fallout (possibly setting up a brief return of the Dark Knight), but I think it’s too early for that and I’m having too much fun with Robin. A post is coming your way soon.

The Mank
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mank » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Posted.

United States of Brainy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Brainy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:47 pm

The Mank wrote:Posted.

Oh joy...what a happy post to read right before I go to bed. Thanks, Mank! :eyebrow:

Man, you people sure are bloody morbid tonight. Must be that July blood moon. :lol: And Mank, I gotta give you credit, you said you were going all the way and you pretty much went all the way. :lol:

I'll have a Babs post sometime tomorrow, prob not until tomorrow night though.

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:14 am

The Mank wrote:
United States of Brainy wrote:So all eyes on Damian, he better not screw it up! :lol:

At this point I was considering letting Damian die and enjoying the fallout (possibly setting up a brief return of the Dark Knight), but I think it’s too early for that and I’m having too much fun with Robin. A post is coming your way soon.

I'd rather not. For the good of the historian

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:49 am

I'd also like to point out that daimian Fell in a grass field.
That was a grass field,idk where you got the concrete thing

The Mank
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mank » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 am

Ok i will change it. Impact has still gotta be pretty bad. Won’t change the outcome.

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:52 am

The Mank wrote:Ok i will change it. Impact has still gotta be pretty bad. Won’t change the outcome.

Its Just 10m Tho.
Ik its yer choice but really, the more damage daimian Takes the worse for Philipp.
As in, angrier heroes.

Whalestron
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Whalestron » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:45 am

Post is up

Illegal Planets
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Illegal Planets » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 am

Skarten wrote:
The Mank wrote:Ok i will change it. Impact has still gotta be pretty bad. Won’t change the outcome.

Its Just 10m Tho.
Ik its yer choice but really, the more damage daimian Takes the worse for Philipp.
As in, angrier heroes.

Well, you did throw your hostage out of a heli. I also don't think you specified how high up you were, and the Historian seemed not to care whether he died or not. I think it makes for some interesting drama regardless :lol:

I'm thinking of hitting a tech factory/warehouse/company. Kapa needs some supplies :twisted:
MDE never dies

Tamrida
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tamrida » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 am

Yaana Noore wrote:
Illegal Planets wrote:To be fair, we have a demon puppy on it's way to see the mayor right now, so

Yeah, it's kinda spiralled from anti-gravity to lava fortresses to overpowered AI to dinosaurs to that. Not much is my cup of tea anymore really.

I hope you don't decide to leave Yaana, Merrymaker needs Harley, and it is not like the plot lines you are involved in are going off the treads with outlandish situation.

Besides, if Bat Cow can be a character, then I think a demon dog would be fine. :p

Illegal Planets
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Illegal Planets » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:19 am

Tamrida wrote:
Yaana Noore wrote:Yeah, it's kinda spiralled from anti-gravity to lava fortresses to overpowered AI to dinosaurs to that. Not much is my cup of tea anymore really.

I hope you don't decide to leave Yaana, Merrymaker needs Harley, and it is not like the plot lines you are involved in are going off the treads with outlandish situation.

Besides, if Bat Cow can be a character, then I think a demon dog would be fine. :p

Or Dogwelder. Cooper's arch-nemesis. May or may not app for him, dibs :p
MDE never dies

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse