NATION

PASSWORD

The Dance of Chaos [IC-Fantasy-OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:08 am

“And who are you to stand up for her, Achysian?” She asks coldly while avoiding my attack. “You who speak of the non-existent goddess?”

“I am Illania de Velira, great-granddaughter of Lord-General Augustine de Velira, Battlemage of the Ring of Fire of the Exalted Empire of Achysia. Who are you to speak to me?”

“Ah Augustine, one of the few to ever defeat me with the sword. I will have to take his head before he croaks. And who am I? I am known by a few different things but you might know me best as Lidia, one of those my former allies refer to as the Seven Traitors. Can’t say I like that one compared to being called the Perfect Paladin.”

I whisper in near fear, I thought I recognized her from the various battlefields. “The Heir of Remigil… Theodosia’s killer.”

“Remigil?” She raises an eyebrow. “A great man to be sure but even he is nothing compared to the heights I have reached and continue to reach for in my perfection so saying I am his heir is an insult really. As for Theodosia de Velira, she should have known better than to get in my way during the war with how weak she was. She was begging to die by my blade with how she threw herself at me, shouting who she was and how we will duel. But that does not answer my question on why you will step in for her sake. She is one of those who destroyed your country, no?”

I smile amusedly. “Because she owes my brother Solomon another fight when she is at her full strength and I would be a poor elder sister if I didn’t try and look out for him, we de Velira’s take the idea of future duels very seriously.”

That causes the fallen Paladin to give one of her rare chuckles. “Truly your brother must be an odd one, well he must be since Alexis mentioned that he kept coming back no matter how hard she tried to kill him back during the war.”

“Suicidal is another way to put it but who isn’t a little suicidal in this day and age?”

“No one by my experience so far.” Smile still on her face she speaks more, “ however… that is not the complete reason is it? Before we cross blades and I take your life would you care to enlighten me to it?”

I turn my head to the princess, my brother’s rival and so much more than that, and speak quietly. “Because I too am a kinslayer and her reactions are not much different from my own when I am faced with my crime.”

“I see. I guess I stand in judgment of two kinslayers and what better judge can there be besides me? I guess I will have to kill you first Illania de Velira before judging Alexis here for her crimes.” She snaps her fingers and all the doors and windows seal themselves. She swaps put her sword for her lance and with a brandish she nods at me. “Your move but make it good for it may be your last."

I don’t have a sword but it isn’t like that would stop me. Instead I hold my left arm at a downward angle to my side and chant. “Through my will, the flames of my passions form and solidify and I shall carry that flame into battle for the glory of Achysia.” And in my open hand appears a blade of fire, crafted from my own mana and to my exact specifications and I take up a stance with it in both hands. “Et flamma in tenebris!” I shout the old warcry and charge at her, brandishing my sword at the ready.

“Impressive control. But is it enough?” We clash and lock blades, separate and attack again before separating again. I am panting while she seems to be perfectly fine. At first I think that I have received no damage but I feel a trickle of blood start on my forehead. And that brief exchange tells me all I need to know, she is my superior in the blade, she is entirely on another level that it would probably require grandfather to step in or Solomon after more training to ensure victory. But that will not stop me, she is not taking me seriously at all and that is her mistake. Instead I raise my free hand in the air and chant and a large series of miniature fireballs appear around me. With a wave of that hand they go flying at her at high speed she dodges most of them but that is as planned and instead I move them in such a way that she inevitably blocks one of them with her blade, which then explodes and sends her flying into a wall.

As the smoke clears I see there is barely a scratch on her and the fallen Paladin runs a hand across her mouth, admiration present in her eyes. “Impressive idea girl. But if you think that will work again you are mistaken.” I don’t say anything but instead move my hand and the fireballs that earlier missed come flying at her at all angles. But instead of moving, because there is no escape, she instead raises her hand and chants.

“Perfection is the end, perfection is the means, few can walk the Path, fewer still can reach its conclusion, but I am already walking there and nothing will hold me back. Nothing can hold me back.”

With those words all the fireballs stop in midair as if held back by a barrier. No, it isn’t a barrier like my brother could create but instead it is a force pushing back against them. I raise another hand. “Through my passions may my flames burn all in my path away.” And with those words a stream of flame emerges from my hand and flies at her but it is similarly blocked and pushed back against. “May the lances of fiery judgment pierce through you, for my righteousness makes me your judge.” Four fiery lances appear around me and fly at her and once again stop. I grind my teeth as I push back against her magic, trying to break through.

“Through my greatness, through my glory above all, through my absolute perfection, may gravity itself bend to my will as it should.” And with those words of her I begin to feel pressure on my head and shoulders, a weight pushing me down as if to crush me and I struggle to stay on my feet. As I struggle I see my magic getting pushed back she is probably going to attack us with that barrier. I click my tongue, fighting people with telekinesis was always a pain.

“Get down!” I shout at the bitch of a princess, anticipating what is to come, but she doesn’t move, her mind still stuck elsewhere, stuck on what this woman said to her. “Damn it all.” I release my magic and move to tackle her to the ground. The telekinetic wave passes over us but I have a feeling it was only because she allowed it and I get up and conjure the sword again and face the Paladin, who hasn’t moved from her spot but has a mocking smile fixed on her face as if she is hearing something that we can’t.

“Well I think that is enough playing for today, farewell Alexis, we shall meet again I promise you for you must still be judged for your betrayal, the anger of those whose love was betrayed is great and thus we will always come back no matter what you may do… or perhaps your Achysian friend was right and everything I said was a lie I said to mess with you, what is ‘truth’ after all? The noble Princess Alexis of Duivene who did all she did for good? The wretched kinslayer who hides from the evils in her own heart in a fantasy world? Or the woman who murdered those she was close to for the sake of her own glory? Which of those is the ‘truth’? What will become ‘true’?” She chuckles. “But it is true that I always loved you as the little sister I never had, I loved both of you that way. As for you Illania de Velira, I look forward to our next match, do try to be a better challenge.” And with those words she departs as if she was never here leaving me with Alexis of Duivene, still staring blankly.

"Get up you." I snap at her and pull her to her feet. "Snap out of it." I tell her and slap her across the face. Probably unnecessary but I have really wanted to do that for years.
Last edited by Elysian Kentarchy on Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Philosophy and Religion Major

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:58 am

????, ????, nighttime

I walk out of my cave with an old friend, a gyphon, at my side. I place my hand on Maximillian's neck and pet him. "You can feel it too can't you?" He nods his beaked head and I turn my blue eyes to the heavens, to the sky I have flown in many times. "The time is coming and we must be ready." And with those words the two of us turn back around and return to the cave we have hidden ourselves in since the war ended. What has gone wrong will be corrected, this I swear by Wyzkia and all my oaths, even if I die in the process.

Silvia de Velira

Celio didn't die at Chovers...? Solomon told me very clearly that he died there. He was mistaken? No matter, something for later.

"To quote myself the very last time I spoke with Celio, what I said to him after he said I was acting like a stranger. 'I am doing things you would not like if you knew what I was doing.' Well that is this. I gesture to myself to make the point. "I was trained into an assassin, a murderer who seeks to destroy threats to Achysia." I turn monotone, speaking as though the topic is not of interest to me. "I was because I asked to become this, my father hated it but I wanted to do something to bring victory closer out of love of both him and Celio. You ask how I did not notice it was Celio? It is because when I am on the hunt I no longer see people as people, all I see are grey shapes, things I should avoid or kill. Who I target, who I kill, names are irrelevant, just the category of 'threat to Achysia', I have been trained to seek them out and end them. I had concluded that the Archbishop of Invidia was a threat to Achysia and so I endeavored to kill him, much like I killed the Grand Duke of Wyzkia. I do not care who they are, who their family is, who they love, because I know..." Quiet regret slips into my tone. "I know that if I am aware of those things I may not be able to follow through with the act. So all I knew was that the Archbishop of Invidia was here and I set out to kill him with no other concern about anything. So gone was I that I did not even realize it was Celio until I gazed into his face."

I shrug. "As for you telling me to leave, no I will not until you accept that I am still his friend. If it results in my death then so be it, I would die knowing that I died proving just how much Celio matters to me."

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Oath-League of Anselm
Ⰵⰹⰴⰳⰵⱀⱁⱄⱄⰵⱀⱄⱌⱍⰰⱇⱅ ⰲⱁⱀ Ⰰⱀⱄⰵⰾⰿ
Eidgenossenschaft von Anselm

Liberare necesse est, vivere non necesse
To be free is necessary, to be alive is not

Merckburger Fen
Village

"A priceless artifact?", Veremund responded, clearly a little confused. "It is a little rare yes, but its sole purpose is to heal wounds. The one reason I didn't use it until now is because I still hoped that I would find some of my men.. I hoped that I could use it to heal them." Silence reigned for a moment, as the red haired knight had clearly not yet fully come to terms with the idea that his men were all dead. "But in that case, it would be a waste not to use it. It would be foolish to risk death just to preserve a bloodstone that only has one purpose - to heal. Life is a gift - we can not afford to waste it."

The knight took a moment to look at the bloodstone that he was holding his hand, before he placed it back in its hidden spot from where he had taken it. "I am afraid that I am not certain, my Lady. Until I met them and fought them, I had no idea that the Tormentil cult still existed. I believed, like so many others, that they had been destroyed. All I knew about them was what I heard from stories. But after having seen them, and after having fought them.... while I am not completely certain, I am very confident that those were indeed, accursed Tormentil cultists. And they will pay.. for their ambush... for their revolt.. and for the killing of my men.. of my friends." Tightly clenching his fist, Veremund seemed to be doing his best to remain calm and to control his anger. "The fight started suddenly, and ended quickly, so I can't say I've managed to take a good look at them. That, and I was much more concerned with trying to led my men and to fight. The mere notion that we could be ambushed around here was so surreal that we were not ready. None of us thought that something like this could happen. We just barely managed to unsheathe our weapons as the attack started. They rushed towards us shouting the name of their leader, of that so called usurper, their so called Empress. Some were in plate armor, some were wearing chainmail, some were simply wearing robes.. but all of them had their cursed flower growing on their outfits. Tormentils. They were weaved through their outfits, or they even looked as if they were growing from the armors. Small flowers with yellow petals. Lots of greenery, and then the roots, like thick tumors. They're difficult to miss, even in the rush of a battle. How disgusting.. what a mockery of the roses worn by the imperial guards of old.. "

And then again, silence. "Yes, they looked like Tormentil cultists, and if what I heard about them in the stories is true.. then the people around here are in danger. That's why I was trying to reach an inhabited place. The nobles around here need to call upon their retinues, and as difficult as it might be, we might even need to call for the Paladins."
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 pm

The day after the Night of the Bloody Moons
Somewhere in Duivene
A ruined town

Krypta clenched her fists, as the anger in her ruby eyes would have been able to make anyone's blood run cold. "Then you will die."

Crimson smoke appeared around her right hand and slowly but surely materialized into what looked like a crystalline spike, uneven but sharp, which she then grabbed. For a moment, it looked as if she was about to throw it at Silvia, but then another moment passed.. and then another.. and another. And nothing happened. Even though the relic was more than able to kill the human girl standing in front of her without even thinking about it. And yet she remained as she was, just looking at Silvia, thinking, magical weapon in her hand, on the edge of a choice between life and death. Her anger seemed to.. melt away, bit by bit until only sadness and regret remained. The smell of lavender seemed to fill the air around them, and as she took a deep breath, Krypta looked down at the ground as the spike dissipated back into smoke and disappeared. "I can't. I'm sorry... I just can't." For a moment, she looked back at Celio, who was laying on the ground, eyes closed, with a magical circle in front of his hand, trying to heal his wound, too focused on his struggle with this particular type of magic to care about the world around him. Like so many times before, he had left his safety in her hands, while his mind was trying to keep the whirlwind of thoughts away, focusing solely on the spell. Krypta turned around and looked at Silvia for a moment, but she seemed to be unable to maintain eye contact, so she looked right at the ground in between them yet again.

"I wanted to kill you for a moment there. I really did. I never could get over the fact that I failed to protect him once. That they killed him without me being able to do anything about it. I would have given my life for him, and I fought until the end with him, but it wasn't enough. So when we were given this chance, this new chance... I swore to myself that I would never let that happen again. So when you attacked him, and when I hesitated to strike at you because I thought that I recognized you... I was angry. I hated myself for nearly allowing it to happen again. I wanted to punish you for it. To make you suffer. To take all that anger at grief out on you. To make you pay not only for this but for everything that was done, for everything that they have done to us. But.. I can't. You were his friend, I know that. You were his friend until the end...and as much as it hurts me to admit it right now, seeing how much pain you've caused him..you are still his friend. I can feel it in your words, I can see it in your eyes. How far away seem to be those years which the three of us spent in Achysia... even the war that came after feels like just a bad dream sometimes. I never would have thought.. not even in my worst nightmares.. that the two of you would end up like an Archbishop of Sin and a mindless assassin. But you were also.. my friend.", the ruby-eyed girl said, finally looking directly at Silvia.

"There is one more thing I need to ask you, and in return for that answer, you can also ask me anything you want. About what happened. About what will happen. But first.. you said that you have become an assassin, that you seek to destroy the enemies of Achysia..out of love for your father and Celio. But nothing changed. As the Archbishop of Invidia, Celio could be a threat to Achysia. He is not an enemy right now, for the Cult of Sins sees the restoration of Achysia as something desirable.. but Celio himself has no love left for his former realm. Not that it would even matter anyway, for his will is not his own. What would you do if he were to actually become an enemy of Achysia?"
Last edited by Tracian Empire on Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Castle Crashers
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Castle Crashers » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:36 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:Wyzkia
A castle

Silence. Everyone just looked at the two them, in shock, at the little girl, and at the knight in full armor that she had just slapped. Rafal didn't even seem to know how to react, how to feel. The red haired boy opened and closed his mouth a few times, as if he was desperately trying to say something, to say anything.. but in the end, all that he managed to do was to whisper her name. "Ela..", he tried to say, but before he could continue, the blonde haired girl slapped him again. "Don't you dare call me like that! Don't you dare!", she shouted, "You promised.. you promised that you would never leave me alone.. you promised that you would always be there for me.. and you l-lied!", but despite her best attempts to seem angry.. she seemed to be on the verge of crying, shivering and with teary eyes. "I didn't..I just. I have to do.. what father can't anymore.. I have to.." But the girl would have none of that. "You're just like him! Always only thinking about your title, about your gryphons, your order and your code! Always leaving so that you can fight, always away to follow what is written in that book, until you're going to do it just like he did and get yourself killed! He.. he said that he would return.. he promised..but he.. he was a liar too! And you are.. you are.. a liar too! You've t-told me that you would never leave me alone, and yet you did! Again, and again, and again! You always leave to fight for those paladins of yours, and you leave me alone here, never knowing.. never knowing if you would return or not! And you l-leave me all alone.. with her..she's s-scary..she's j-just.. so empty.. I d-don't w-want to, I d-don't w-want to s-see her ever a-again, I d-don't want to s-stay with her, n-no, no, n-no!"

Tears were rolling down her cheeks, but the red haired girl didn't give Rafal a chance to say anything, even if it was clear from his expression that seeing her like that.. it hurt him. "And n-now you c-come back, w-with her? Who is she? What is she d-doing here?" The young squire seemed to be completely taken aback by the question, as he looked back and forth between Alina and Elzbieta, hesitating. "She..Ela.. she.. she is Alina. Alina Kryszka. She is going to be my.. wife. I proposed to her.. and she accepted. After we marry I think that.. she will be your sister."

Only if Aurora herself would have thrown the Spear of Dawn in front of her would the little girl have been more shocked. Elzbieta continued to look straight at Rafal for a few more moments, before she turned towards Alina, as if she wanted to jump on her. " You left me.. all alone.. f-for her? For her? Who are you? Who are you? W-what l-lies have you b-been t-telling him? You.. you are t-taking advantage of him.. it has to b-be..y-you're j-just in for h-his m-money or something..you saw him, a n-noble, not married, and you s-saw your chance, like the evil queens in those stories..you m-must have t-taken advantage of his.. of his kind heart.. b-but I won't let you break it! I won't! What l-lies have you been telling him? He..he so foolish.. he always.. always.. goes out of his way.. to save everyone.. and anyone..is that.. is that.. how.. how you caught him? Is that.. how.. how you are fooling him? What story have you m-made up? That you were.. that you were some sort of a.. d-damsel.. in.. d-distress, l-like in the s-stories? D-do you know.. w-what.. w-what he is r-risking, to d-do something like this? He is.. he is a b-baron, he can't just.. he can't just marry anyone! He has to, he has to marry someone from the Golden Book, that's what.. that's what father always said. He can't.. he can't bring shame to the family name! It's all.. it's all he has. It's all the family has. If he d-does something like that, he could.. he could be removed from the book! The family would lose.. lose everything.. he has.. he has already risked too much..so don't you dare.. don't you dare.. don't you dare do something like that to him! What are you? Who are you? Some sort of a witch? Have you used m-magic on him, charms, p-potions? Or are you.. are you just.. a l-lying.. a lying whore? I've heard.. I've heard about.. the likes of you..the g-guards were talking.. about.. about the whores of that c-cult.. who go.. and bewitch the m-minds of people.. you.. leave him! Leave him alone!"

"Ela, don't, you don't know what you are talking about, please, stop..", a clearly shocked Rafal tried to say, but Elzbieta wouldn't have any of it. "No! No, you can't see it, why can't you see it? She has to be, she has to be something like that, you're not.. you're not thinking straight! I'm.. I'm helping you! Leave him alone, you, you w-whore!"

The Kingdom of Duivene
Chovers, the Two Towers

A heretic.. the daughter.. of a line of heretics, servants of a dead Witch-King., the young Faith Keeper said, his soft voice barely more than a whisper. "It is certainly heartwarming for someone like you to worry about the well being of Duivene and her people..but you attempts to sway the minds of your captors are all in vain. For they should remember, who came to the help of of the Unicorn's Realm when the forces of the Faithless Flame were at its gates. Not the Gryphon of Silver and the Gryphon of Crimson, not the Trident and the Crown, not the Deceiving Kraken, and not the Lilac Dragon, but the Faith. It was the Holy Faith, through the Haliarchy and the Scriptures, that came to Duivene's aid first. And it shall be the Faith again that would come to Duivene's help, for the Gods always answer the prayers of those truly faithful. For no darkness, no False Flame, no undead traitors and no heretic warriors can win against the light of dawn..." And the Faith Keeper sighed. "There is much poison in your words, witch, but even the most accursed can find repentance..the Faith's Judgement does not torture.. and it does not kill. We simply do what must be done to help the lost souls find their way back again..from the darkness of the night..to the brightness of the light. And you will find your way too.. trust me, you will. I do not know what happened to whatever poor soul from your family the Faith's Judgement tried to save in the past, but we can all find solace knowing that it is closer to salvation."

The whited haired man then looked directly at Eric, as the youngest of the Faith Keepers smiled, tightly gripping her ranseur. "Brave words..", the man said, and the third Faith Keeper, the tall woman, her face still emotionless, continued. "For someone guilty of crimes against the Faith." And the little girl giggled. "A grudge against our order? Why might that be? Because our brothers and sisters saved you from the clutches of Luxuria, Eric de Villegaignon? The Eye sees, the Scales judge, and we remember." And she giggled again. But the man, who clearly was the group's leader, continued to look at Eric with his pale red eyes. "Today, it is not my call to finish the job started by my brothers and sisters so many years ago. Your time for repentance will come another day, Eric, no matter what you try to do to escape. Acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt." The Faith Keeper closed his eyes for a few seconds, before he continued. "The night before, you have fought against the forces of darkness, and for that, the Faith is thankful. For that, we will allow you to ask that sinful woman the questions you desire..but only under two conditions. The first is that a brother or a sister of the Faith's Judgement will be there to listen, so that the witch's poison will not spread. And the second condition is that once you are done with your questions.. you shall surrender her to us, so that she may start walking the path of repentance. What do you say, Eric de Villegaignon and Peter Clermont?"

Somewhere
A broken boy with a scythe

"I can't let you do this!"

Her voice covered his soft chanting, but the black haired boy didn't even seem to have noticed her, as he just continued to weave his spells, even as she stood up, even as she started talking, even as she was pleading. Only when she stopped speaking, only when silence filled the air again did the boy slowly stand back up, turning around and looking at her.. but his crimson eyes seemed to be just as hollow as those of the dead girl next to him. And for a moment there, it was almost as if two corpses were looking at her, without actually seeing anything.

"You..can't.. let.. me.. do.. this?", Celio whispered, his crimson eye almost appearing to glow in the night, as the black, shadow snakes coiled around his arms and body hissed moved, as if they wanted to jump at Julie. "How are you.. going to stop me?", he seemed to ask, his face still blank and emotionless. "You can't.. let.. me.. hurt.. everyone?I'm.. a monster. You're too late..way.. way..way..way too.. late. Where were you...when I killed her? Nowhere.. nowhere. You can't let me.. keep doing this.. to myself? As if.. as if.. I have a choice.. as if.. I've ever had a choice.. not that.. not that you'd ever understand." Bitterness seemed to seep into his words as he took a few steps forward, his chains rattling. "You won't let it happen again? You're a liar.. why would.. anyone believe you? Please don't do this, it doesn't have to be like this, it doesn't have to keep being this way.. you're lying, you're lying, you're lying, you're lying.. you don't understand... you never do." Celio looked away from her and instead looked directly at one of the snakes, as tears of blood continued to roll down his cheeks. "I hoped.. that you would understand...that I never had a choice...You told me.. that you believed in me... that there always is a way, and you vowed to me that if there isn't one, you will make one..you promised that you would stand for me, even if no one else would..that you won't let me suffer alone..that you weren't going to let them hurt me anymore.. that you.. that you were going to save me....that..you liked me.. lies.. all of them.. lies. And for a while.. I believed them. I didn't want to. I hated myself for it. But.. I believed them. I wanted to.. I wanted to hope that there was someone who believed in me. That there was someone who believed in something I forgot long ago. That there was a way out.. and that there was someone.. someone who would love for me what I am. And yet all of it was an illusion..."

Celio remained silent for a moment, as Julie could suddenly hear the snakes hissing yet again..and while the boy's eyes were still empty, the blood-red eyes of the snakes were filled with hate. All it took was a moment.. for you to forget everything that you had promised.. to abandon everything that you said. You believed it.. didn't you? Everything that she said, everything that she showed you..it's ironic isn't it? That the lies of envy would unveil your own lies..but this is at it should be. The black haired boy smiled. "I am an Archbishop of the Cult of Sins, a slave of Invidia, the Sin of Envy. Maybe it is time for me to finally start acting like one.." And as the boy spoke his last words, the ground behind him started to tremble and to break, as hands of white bone started to claw through, as the dead started to rise from the blood soaked ground. "You wouldn't understand.. you would never understand.. not when you are like this. What would you know of darkness, when you spent your entire life in the light? What would you know of sin, when you have spent your entire life in virtue? What would you know of death, when you have spent your entire life among the living? But... if what you said.. was actually true.. if you want to prove.. that you haven't just been weaving.. a web of lies.. there is a way.. for you to understand.. there is a way.. for you to prove that you meant everything."

And Celio took another step forward, stopping right in front of the girl. Crimson met blue, their eyes meeting, as the boy hesitatingly placed his left hand on her cheek, not seeming to care that his hand was dirty, stained with dry blood, or that fresh blood was still slowly dripping from the many cuts on his arm. "You can die..", he whispered too her, as the snake still coiled around his arm moved a little forward, hissing right next to her ear. "And then, I can set you free.. I can free you from the lies of the light, the lies of the virtues.. and you will understand.. in death, I'm sure you will.. for only a monster.. can understand.. another monster.."

She watched as he stood, shrouded in darkness, shrouded in death; the gaze he gave her cold and lifeless, something she had hoped she'd been able to convince him to leave behind. It hurt her to see him this way, as if the previous night and all that had happened in it had never taken place...it was as if all she had shown him, all she had done for him had been for nothing at all. He spoke then, and though his face showed nothing but the cold of the night, his words were filled with bitterness. He spoke of where she had been, that he had no choice, that she'd never understood...and as he stepped towards her, she let herself take a step back in return. Crazy, she thought, of how just hours before, she had been lying in his arms, kissing him, even. Her heart sat in her throat knowing that all had been undone by her rash actions, her quickness to assume...but who could blame her? She was young, and worse; she was human. She made mistakes. It wasn't always the most useful thing for the job.

He claimed she was a liar, to believe there was hope. That she could understand. She watched as his tears continued to make rivers of red down his soft cheeks...would he hate her so to wipe them for him? To kiss the pain from his eyes and make it all go away? To go back to that night, that moment they had shared, so close and so caring, gazing into each other's eyes? He told her of his own hope, of his hope for her understanding, to realize he had never chosen this, of all the things she had told him of helping him, saving him, to not let him suffer alone, even that she had liked him...and it stung. She bit her lip as he spit his poison to her, holding in tears of her own. He was so hurt by her...it had only taken a moment to shatter everything she had worked so hard to inspire in him.

And then, then he voiced what she was thinking. And he was right. It had only taken a moment. As he echoed her thought, her tears finally spilled onto her own skin. She had her hands clenched together, tightly, anxiously rubbing at her fingers as she tried to hold in her own hurt, her own tears. She felt no threat by the snakes that encircled the boy in front of her. She was getting everything she feared already, just from his voice. He spoke of Invidia, of the way she'd deceived her, convinced her, let her unveil her own lies, even if it wasn't true. She had never lied. Lying was never something she was good at, especially with someone who held her affections so tightly as Celio did. And then, as he spoke, as the dead began to crawl from the dirt, tearing apart what beauty was left of that field, she was unmoved and unwavered. Her eyes never left those red ones in front of her, no matter the commotion. This time, this was more important.

She listened to him, every word, as she let her own fat tears fall down her cheeks. He wanted her to prove her love to him. Her heart leapt at the thought, even as it ached; beating faster as he stepped closer to her, as his skin touched hers, his hand on her cheek, so close to her that it almost made her forget about everything else that was happening right now. She cared not for his bloody hands, but his lips...

You can die...

Just as her gaze was softening with her affection, her cheeks dusting red, as she had been awaiting a kiss of some kind, the moment was lost. He wanted to set her free? To understand him as a monster? No, this couldn't be right....no, no, no, there had to be something else..!

Julie's lip quivered, her wide, watery blue eyes focused on his, trying so hard to stay strong, so hard to be better, so hard to be what she needed to be... "I'm sorry," She choked, the sob escaping her throat as more tears spilled onto her cheeks, her expression dissolving with her tears. "I'm...I'm sorry that I, that I hurt you like this...that I made you...lose all the hope you had held onto...that I confirmed everything you feared..." She sobbed, and once more, she was no longer the strong and confident, the hopeful and good Archbishop she tried to be. She cried like a child. Innocent. Endearing.

"I should have known better, I should have...but the envy, it...it poisoned me...it got to my weaknesses...I was just, I was so afraid...I was so afraid of losing you to her, because I...I wanted you to...care for me that way...I wanted to believe that I had really convinced you...that I could be enough..." She cried, choking it back again as she smiled weakly, placing her own hand on his cheek as he held his to hers. "I see now, I see now that she did that because she was afraid...she knows what I do to you...what we do to each other...and I'm sorry I let her win..." She continued to gaze into his eyes, softly, lovingly, as she gently pressed her forehead to his, never letting her eyes leave him. She was afraid that if she looked away, she might miss the glimmer of hope she was looking for. "I know I was weak...I know...that I hurt you...I should never have left you there...I should never have left your side, even for a moment...but all of this was always just because...I was so afraid of losing you...because I care for you so much..."

She cries again, letting herself slide, landing on her knees at his feet. "So...if that's really what you want...if you really need this, if you need me to die...to prove that I love you, that I've...that I've fallen in love with you," She chokes back a sob again as she confesses. "Then I'll do it. I'll become a monster for you, because someone else will take my place...someone stronger than me..." She leans forward, gently pressing herself against his legs, holding herself against them as she kneels, as she sobs. She doesn't know what else to do to save him. She doesn't care. All she has now is this. "But none of them will love you like I love you. None of them will want to save you like I do...you know how cruel this world is...they will cut you down...I--" She cries harder as she continues to let herself be vulnerable to him. "I don't want that...I never wanted that...I want to save you, to help you live, to show you a good life...but if this is what it takes...if this is what it takes to show you how I care for you...then I'll do it..."

She holds onto him tighter as she sobs, as she whimpers. "Just promise me that I'm yours, and that you're mine...that's all I need...promise me that, and I'll be yours, in death, forever..."
Equalsun Empire is my spirit animal.
Feel free to follow my Tumblr to view my art!! ^^ SwankyPankeroni
Trace and Charli are my besties! ^-^
Personal Navigator of Tracian Empire!
*throws in cool nicknames for other NSers* (/ouo)/*.*.*

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun May 01, 2022 3:40 pm

Somewhere
A broken boy with a scythe

He felt as if he couldn't breathe. He no longer needed air, but even so, he felt as if he was suffocating, a painful weight crushing his chest. He was looking directly into her eyes, just as she was looking back at him, crimson meeting blue. His bloody and cold hand was on her cheek, and he felt as if his cold heart was being crushed into many little pieces. Maybe they were alone, the only ones left in the entire universe, the only ones who still mattered, and surrounding them was a maelstrom of feelings, memories, and shattered dreams. A small part of him had hoped that she would just run away, overcome by fear, forever lost but safe. That step back, that moment of fear.. he had been happy... but it was in vain. All in vain, like his hopes that she would never come here, that she would never follow him, that she had already given up on him. It was difficult to even believe that she was here.. but at the same time, he could feel it. The anger. The grief. The bitter taste in his mouth. The sharp sting of pain that he had felt when she had turned around from him and from Invidia, when she had believed her lies, and when she had fled..the sear of betrayal in his chest. He could still feel it. That same memory was still playing in his mind, again, and again, and again. He had lived a life devoid of hope, devoid of happiness..she had given him that, only to take it away from him.. and now, her simple presence here, her words, her pleas...it was if she wanted to give him hope again. As if she wanted to pretend that nothing had happened. As if anything was ever that easy. She was just like everyone else. No one had ever truly given him a chance. No one had ever truly listened to him, no one had ever actually cared about what he felt. Nothing had changed. He hated her. He wanted to hate her. And yet.. it hurt.

He wanted to forget. To forget all of it. His hopes. His dreams. Was it wrong? That for a moment there, he had hoped that she loved him. He had hoped that this feeling inside his dead heart was also love. That maybe, maybe, there was a way for them to be happy. Even if they were so different, even if they served different gods, even if they were in different cults. Even if he felt that he didn't deserve her love and that such love was owed to him at the same time. Oh, how much he had desperately wanted to be someone else. A knight. A hero. A prince. Someone worthy of her. Someone she could love. Someone who could make her notice his feelings. Someone who could prove his love for her. Someone who would be worthy of all the expectations she had for him. Someone who could walk alongside her, in the light. Someone who wouldn't make her afraid, someone who wouldn't disgust her. Someone like her.. someone that people would admire. Someone who could smile and be adored, like he was for a fleeting moment in that village. But he couldn't be someone else. Even so, he had hoped.. he had hoped that maybe he could walk alongside her, or at least behind her. That he could protect her innocent heart. That he could keep her safe. Pointless dreams, turning to ashes in front of him. No matter how much he dreamed, chained birds could never fly. His soul belonged to Invidia, his body was chained, and even freedom couldn't change who he was - a necromancer. A murderer. A sinner.

So he had to change her.

How could he ever believe her again? How could he ever trust her again? If he could make her like him, then she would understand. Then she could maybe accept him. He didn't want to hurt her, he didn't want her to feel any pain... but he wanted her to understand. Not only his feelings for her.. but he also wanted her to understand how she had hurt him. How much she had hurt him. Was it still love? Was it hatred? Was it both? He did not know, he could not know, and his heart hurt more than any wound he had ever received. Why did he have to meet her? Why did he have to fall in love with her? He had almost accepted his life, much like the familiar pain around his wrists, of metal biting his flesh. He could feel the bitterness flowing through his veins like poison. He couldn't breathe.. so maybe if she also couldn't breathe.. then all things would be right.

"I'm sorry"

Every tear, every word... they were all like tiny cuts on his heart. He wanted to be happy, to be happy that she was also hurt. Seeing that she was in pain, that she had regrets, that she was crying.. it should have felt good. Wasn't it what he wanted? He wanted to be angry at her, to let the rage consume him, like a raging wildfire, or like a storm of frost. To give in to the screams of the souls of all the undead around them, to listen to them. She was lying. She had to be lying. This was just a show, another show, a strategy, to get him to lower his guard, to ensnare him. It scared him.. that he couldn't tell what was true and what was a lie. How was she any different from Invidia? How were their lies any different? She was sorry, she was afraid, afraid of losing him...the warmth of her hand on his frigid cheek, the hope in her pleading words..he wanted to accept that warmth and that light, and to push her hand away at the same time. She was crying...so honestly...so innocently...it almost reminded him... of that foolish but brave girl who had challenged him to a duel... it all seemed so long ago...but even as she pressed her forehead to his, her warmth once again meeting only the cold of death...nothing changed in his expression, nothing could be seen in his hollow eyes.

I love you...

I've...I've fallen in love with you

For a moment, even as she fell on her knees, even as she pressed herself against his legs, even as she continued to cry there, in front of him, broken, desperate, ready to die for him, ready to become a monster, like he wanted her to... the black-haired Archbishop stood there, his hand still in the air, frozen, like the serpents around it. Nothing. It was as if he had become a statue or a corpse. A moment passed. And then another. And then another. Heartbeat after heartbeat.

In the silence, the snakes coiled around his arms turned into smoke, and the smoke turned into his scythe, with its cold blade right on the girl's neck. Holding the scythe's snath with his right hand, Celio used the blunt side of the blade under her jaw to slightly raise her head, and once again, crimson met blue as they looked into each other's eyes. "I want.. to make you mine.", he told her, his voice low and hoarse. "If I just.. open you up... cut you open...then I can make sure.. that you're not lying. Then I can make sure... that your heart will be beating for me." Pulling the scythe back, he held it as if he was preparing for the slash.. just one move, one slash, and it would have all been over. That's all the scythe needed to kill her and reap her soul. The boy hesitated for a moment, and then for another, and then the scythe finally moved forward... only for its blade to stop right in front of her chest. As it stopped, tears started rolling down his cheeks, and not the red tears of magic, blood, and grief, but normal tears, so... human. And as the first of his tears fell on the dead ground beneath them, the scythe once again turned into smoke and disappeared, as Celio fell on his knees, right in front of her. He looked at her again, gazing into her eyes, and moving his shaking hand, he once again placed his cold fingers on her cheek... but he immediately pulled his hand away, as if he had done something incredibly wrong.

"Why?..", he tried to ask, his voice almost a whisper. "I love you... I truly do...but I never thought... that you would love me back. Ever since we met, in that little town... I could feel the pain of knowing that what I felt must mean that I love you... while knowing that you could never love me back. The whispers of jealousy, poisoning my mind. The whispers said so many things... I can't... I just can't.", he told her, looking as if he was desperately trying to hold his tears back, all his anger and murderous intent having disappeared like the smoke into which his weapon had turned. "I didn't want to believe it. To think that I could even have such feelings... but I do. I really do. I was so happy... back in the village. For the first time, in as long as I can remember... I was happy. I was happier than I ever deserved to be. Even now.. even now... when I heard you say that you love me... I want to be happy. But I'm scared. I want to believe you, I truly do... but I'm afraid. I'm scared that you'll just run away again. That moment, in that room, when you turned around, when you ran away... I wanted to scream... I wanted to cry.. but I couldn't. I couldn't do anything. " He was trying, and trying, but the tears wouldn't stop. He was quivering, in fear, and confusion. Did he want to hug her? Did he want to run away?

And Celio looked at her, despair and fear filling his crimson eyes, and yet it was there. Behind the anguish, behind the envy, behind the pain. A glimmer of hope. "Please... please.", he tried to tell her, his voice strained. "Don't abandon me again."

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sun May 08, 2022 3:01 pm

Anselm
Merckburger Fen
Village

These news were grave. What Veremund was describing was beyond a doubt exactly what the Tormentils were wearing. No other group would put that accursed flower onto their garb, especially not the entire thing. Which meant that there was a presence of heavily armed Tormentils here, enough to bring down an entire patrol of trained soldiers, which in turn meant they had to have a base of operations. Suddenly everything made sense. The disappearances, the scribbled drawings, the growing of the Fen.

Turning to Asche, Adelheid hastily said:

"Aside from them nearly tearing the country to absolute shreds in their misguided attempt to establish a reign of the dead? Nothing other than that they're the worst possible company you could find in these lands and technically aren't supposed to find anymore. And this...this used to be the place they operated from...long ago before they were all destroyed."

She took a moment, trying to gather her thoughts before inhaling, puffing out her chest and putting on the bravest face she had as she said:

"The mission to find out what has been happening has concluded. All of you are free to leave and will receive their payment from me immediately.

However, what we have found out goes beyond my wildest dreams. I expected the greedy and powerful yet ultimately normal and sane crooks to be behind all this in whatever misguided attempt to further their power. Instead the monsters from history seem to have risen from their graves and I fear that if someone does not act now, these lands might buckle under the strain of war once more...and this so shortly after the last war has been concluded. If nobody acts now, this might not be containable.

I will venture into this Fen. If necessary alone. I will not force any of you to come with me nor ask you to. I could not pay you for such a service, even if I wanted to. However, I beseech you to think of the consequences of your actions in this crucial moment in time."

She looked each of them in the eye, Asche, Veremund, Pynus, Yakr, every single one, waiting for a moment to see if they would respond.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Tue May 10, 2022 7:41 am

The Village, Anselm
Merckburger Fen
Asche

Well, what Adelheid said certainly doesn't give Asche any relief. More than just some cult, a cult that dabbled in necromancy with an army of the undead? Lucky her to be awake in this cursed world. And that they're still here in the place filled with monsters and deadly plants. Sometimes Asche wished that she kept her mouth shut.

"I'm starting to like this world less and less," she thought to herself. When all of this is done, she wonders if she could get Ed to transport her back to her old world. But that would mean leaving the people who are close to her behind and it does seem a selfish thing to do, Of course, she doesn't know how long she's out in her old world.

Adelheid continues on, saying that she will venture into the Fen by herself, she won't force anyone to come with her but those who do accompany her, she cannot pay them. Instead, whatever their actions would be could have affect whatever happens next.

Of course, Asche isn't going to leave them to their devices, she will go with Adelheid. Adelheid gave her some of her food when she arrived to the village and it's common courtesy to repay ones hospitality, that is something she believed in. When she was housed and clothed by a farmer in Anselm, she protected his home from bandits.

Of course, there is also a good chance that Kaesar is involved in this Fen thing. Joining the silver haired lady could bring her closer to her target. Asche considered revealing that she is a bounty hunter but her mind told her no. Even if Adelheid is genuine, she can't be too sure of the others in the party. Revelations would be made in due time.

"I'll join you," Asche volunteered. "When I arrived to this village in hopes of resupplying for my travels, you gave me some of your food and water. Where I'm from, I must repay your hospitality with some work, it's the least I can do."
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Fri May 13, 2022 9:59 pm

Silvia de Velira

I calmly close my eyes and wait for Krypta's blow to strike me, perhaps this would be for the best. I know my father hates me being an assassin even if he is forced to use me, so he must hate me all the more. And if Celio doesn't remember me and Krypta hates me, I guess no one will really mourn me. So I can die as I always expected to die, forgotten. House de Velira is a house of honor and warriors so an assassin who carries Velira's name, a worthless orphan girl who was shown pity by the family head, deserves a fate like this for tarnishing that name. I wait, and wait, and wait, but the blow I expect does not come. I hear Krypta take a deep breath and open my eyes and see Krypta standing there,

I listen to her and lose myself in the memories of days that I wish nothing more than to return to. "I remember a time when it seemed like it would be the three of us together, forever. Occasionally others would flit in and out of our lives, perhaps each of us would fall in love with someone and marry them, but our relationship, of being one another's best friend, would never change. That was the eternity I envisioned us living in. I remember the hand Celio extended to me when he drove off those who tormented me, who I did not fight back against because I felt I deserved it because my father took me in. I remember the shock on his face when I asked if he was here to torment me too. I remember the three of us talking and planning for ways to get back at them. I remember dancing away with Celio at those fancy parties, he was always a good dancer after all, because no one wanted to dance with the street urchin, no one besides him or other de Veliras." I bring a gloved hand up to my cheek and pull it away, it is wet for some reason. Tears? Last time I cried was when I was still in mourning for Celio. I shake my head and chuckle. "I even remember Celio telling me about how you were trying to encourage me when I was trying to kill that man who insulted my father or the days where we would sit in comfortable silence, because we had reached the point where we didn't need to talk about things. With you and Celio I could stop trying to act the noble girl I was not and that everyone saw through. A smile, something I thought I could never do because my life meant nothing, came so easily to my face. That was the world I wished to go on forever. But Celio and you went off to war and left me behind at court, a place that was now as good as empty to me and my smile left me besides those few moments we saw each other again, even if I had to fake it the last time I saw him before now. I insisted that I accompany father when he went to the field, I saved his life when someone tried to assassinate him, and it was at that moment I realized, life means almost nothing to me."

"So with that in mind, to answer your question, I have three possibilities in mind. The first, and most obvious, would be suicide, if I am unable to refuse orders but do not wish to execute them then taking my own life, dying for Celio that way, would be for the best. The second is that I attempt to do so but not really and let Celio kill me, I do not wish to do that, even if he doesn't remember me I do not wish for my blood to be on his hands. Lastly, there are techniques, drugs really, passed down to me from the-" I stop myself, oaths are binding after all and I cannot break them. "...Passed down from others like me. Once they get into your veins there is no turning back, you turn into nothing but a walking corpse. The ingredients are rare, including certain things from close to the blight lands, but it is something I know how to make. Often we just used the threat of using it instead of actually doing so because of the expense. Ingesting that would do the trick since I would be rendered harmless to all." I try to hide it but there is a trembling in my hand at the thought of using such a thing, especially on myself.

"Perhaps... I may be able to refuse given time so I will have to pray to the gods my father believes in that if Celio becomes an enemy of Achysia it will take enough time so that I won't be compelled to seek him out and kill him. But on the other hand I have never seen much the value of life, I have always been that way, even when father took me in, that is why killing came so easily to me. Just draw the knife and kill, I did that so often during the war so that we may win that what little value I did place in life was lost to me." I don't bring up the doubts and such I had when I saw my handiwork after I killed the Grand Duke, how Rafal suffered despite extending me unexpected kindness without question, because that is not for her ears. "Of course if Celio tries to harm my father I will protect him, that goes without saying, but if I can do that without killing Celio I will pursue that even if it kills me."

"If my answer satisfies you I have two questions at the moment. My first question is simple, what happens now? How do we go forward? My second question is this Krypta, who did this to him? Not the wound I inflicted but inflicted the wounds that I can clearly see killed him once before? There is no way these wounds would not kill someone so who do I need to kill for doing this to Celio? For killing and taking my best friend away from me, from us?" By this point I don't even bother suppressing my emotions, allowing anger to enter my voice without my usual restraint. They dared to take him away from me? They dared to harm him? They must die, each and every one of them much like anyone who harms my father must.

Augustine de Velira, camp

"Augustine, may I ask a question?" My maiden asks me while I pour over a map, rain pattering on our tent.

"Of course, Aetheria." I answer, addressing her by her name, an honor and privilege granted to me by her years ago and one I only exercise in private.

"Silvia went to the Archbishop of Envy to try to kill him, do you think she will succeed?"

"If properly equipped? Of course, my daughter is a very talented assassin after all. Did I properly equip her? No."

"...What? You sent your daughter to her death?" Aetheria's voice is flabbergasted, as if she doesn't understand why I did so. I can only imagine the confusion in her eyes if I could see them.

"Aetheria, you know me better than that." I quietly chide her. "I have every confidence that Silvia will escape and return to me."

"But why send her to do this in the first place?"

"I know the Archbishop of Envy's identity, he was once someone that mattered deeply to Silvia, second only to me if I may be honest. She will do as she was told and mindlessly attack him, and if she does what I hope she does, she will be much better for it." I then descend into my reasons and Aetheria, with a shake of her head causing her long black hair threaded with grey to move, comments.

"Augustine, I have known you most of my forty years of life, and this is the first time I can say that you have done something that is truly idiotic."

"Perhaps, but desperate times, desperate measures and I am not getting any younger so I had to make this roll of the dice. I refuse to leave Silvia in this state before I die."

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun May 22, 2022 2:19 pm

Jménem apoštolského knížectví Arghyo
In the name of the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo

Nejváženějšímu koncilu Spříseženstvy Anselm, Shromáždění,
To the Most Esteemed Council of the League of Anselm, the Tagungskammer

In the name of Her Majesty, the Apostle-Princess of the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo, I, her humble servant, Mihangyl Šiýkarsto, Margrave of the Principality, will answer in Her Majesty's Name.

The Apostolic Principality of Arghyo is a place ruled by law and by the Faith, as it has always been. As soon as the evidence of the crimes of the individual Kyle Perrin-Palaiologos, who is a subject of Her Majesty, the Apostle-Princess, will be presented to us, we will take the appropriate measures. If the evidence of his crimes is found to be true, then he will be arrested and he will be judged in a court of law in complete accordance with the Codex Juris Tharnriae and the Revertere of Emperor Hartmut the Law-Gatherer, of which he is entitled as a subject of Arghyo. If is he found guilty of his crimes and condemned as such, then depending on whether these crimes were also committed against the Oath-League the court might take the decision to give him to the Tagungskammer for further prosecution. If not, then he will suffer the consequences of his actions here. For his assets, they will initially be confiscated by the Apostolic Principality, and if these assets were gained through criminal actions they will remain confiscated and will most likely be used to help the poor. If evidence of his crimes proves that he has caused damage within the territory of the Oath-League, then the necessary part of his assets will be surrendered to the Tagungskammer.

The Apostolic Principality of Arghyo does not open its borders to criminals and it has its own rules and laws when it comes to administering its borders, based on its Imperial Immediacy and Territorial Supremacy as granted to it through the Pledge of Emperor Remigil the Holy and maintained through the Oath of Ascension signed between the Oath-League of Anselm and the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo. As such, the Apostolic Principality will make its own decisions but we can assure the Most Esteemed Tagungskammer that no one who is a criminal under our laws shall be allowed in.

In accordance with the Act of Ascensions and the Territorial Supremacy of the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo, the Most Esteemed Council does not have the authority to investigate matters in our territory, as that authority belongs fully to Her Excellency, the Apostle-Princess. However, seeing as any investigations into this matter might reveal issues that also concern the Most Esteemed Council and the Oath League, the proposal of the Apostolic Principality would be for the delegate of the Oath-League to be allowed to join the Justitiar that the Apostle-Princess will name in order to investigate this assumed plot. They will as such have access to all the information that the Justitiar will uncover, and will be able to further pursue the matter in the territory under the authority of the Most Esteemed Council as they see fit.

As for your last request, the Apostolic Principality will unfortunately have to refuse. It has been the strict decision of Her Excellency, the Apostle-Princess, not to allow troops of the Oath-League on her territory ever since the creation of the Oath-League, and I, her humble servant, am not able to overturn her express wish. The Apostolic Princely Army and the Retainers of the Silver Rose are more than enough in order to deal with any potential threats to the Apostolic Principality, and we are confident that the Oath-League's troops will be more than able to suppress the uprising even without a southern advance.

Nulla rosa sine spinis
There is no rose without thorns
Není růže bez trnů

Oath-League of Anselm

Merckburger Fen
Village

Veremund remained silent for a few good moments, but it was rather obvious that he had already made up his mind a long, long time ago. "I will come with you, of course. It is my duty, as a knight, and it is my duty, as a living, human being, to do anything I can to protect the innocent - and few groups seem to be so hellbent on hurting the innocent like the Tormentils.", he spoke in a calm voice, trying to hide the anger within. "And even it hadn't been my duty... I owe it to my men, to at least try to avenge them. So I expect nothing in return, and my sword is yours."The knight then smiled slightly. "I might not be in the best shape right now, but I can still fight if needed."

His obviously dented and very damaged armor and the continued presence of bruises and of patches of dried blood on his skin and in his air might have brought some doubt as far as his ability to fight his concerned, but despite having almost been killed not that long ago, there was a certain strength in the way in which he was standing and in the way in which he was grasping the handle of his still sheathed sword that brought some credence to his claims. "It would have been nice to have a convocation of gryphons and their paladins with us, or maybe a group of Hollow Knights, but we'll manage. We need to find out what these Tormentils are up to and then warn everyone about it, otherwise it would be very difficult to convince anyone that they are still around."

Kingdom of Duivene
Ⴐⴄⴈⴀⴓⴋⴄ ⴃⴄ Ⴃⴓⴈⴅⴄⴌⴄ
Reiaume de Duivene

Virtute et valare luceo non uro
By virtue and valor I shine, but do not burn

On the road to Chovers
A village

They came after him, following him, running. The golden eyed princess stayed where she was, laughing, clearly enjoying the trick he had used in order to escape, but the Shade's Hosts weren't find behind, as more of them appeared, some riding on dark horses. And with them came a mist, as black as the night, slowly rolling towards the small fortified village, a sight that anyone who had fought in the War of the Uncrowned King would be all too familiar with. But there were few men at arms left who had survived the first months of the war, when their despair was the strongest, and when the Shade's Hosts were everywhere. Cities lost and massacred, the eldest prince murdered, the King still gone.. those were horrible times. But just like then, the soldiers of Duivene were willing and ready to do anything in order to defend their homes and their families.

And the Shade's Hosts advanced, rushing through the mist, running towards they walls. They were not undead, they were still living - if slaves to the Shade and to its voices, and even if the Shade messed with their minds, they were still human. They were wearing old, black armors, and as the arrows pierced them, some of them screamed, but they still moved forward, slower or faster - with one of them wearing a white banner bearing the inky, mask-like sigil that was their symbol. Two of the Hosts even had a small battering ram which they used to quickly hit the gate again, and again, as the mist reached the walls, covering them entirely. Then the gates fell, and the Hosts pushed in, in formation. There was only a dozen of them, far fewer than the soldiers, and some of them had already been wounded, but they fought with a speed and strength that seemed.. inhuman. Eric was holding them back, but the others didn't have so much luck. But Eric was their target to begin with, so they targeted him. The Shade affected each of them differently. Some were relatively calm, and some still could have passed for a normal human under some circumstances, while others had been driven almost insane by it - it filled them with hate and with anger.

They followed him, through the streets, on the rooftops, the deaths of their comrades not seeming to phase them in the slightest. Pain or not, feelings or not, sanity or not - the one thing that all the Hosts had in common regardless of how much they were affected was that they did not falter in following their orders. They had no choice. And not like slaves, who had to obey or else be hurt by their slave sigil - they were unable to even comprehend the notion of not following what they were told. And in the end, maybe this was their weakness. They were but a mere shadow of what they had once been, the last remains of a force that had long been killed off. The Shade twisted their mind, and their thoughts could never match whatever they had before the Shade had corrupted them.

At the beginning, they had rushed through Duivene like a great storm, leaving only death in their wake, killing anyone who opposed them, murdering lords, princes, knights and men at arms. Fear and despair were their allies. But then, someone, two princesses, stood up, and stood their ground, fighting, and bringing hope with them. Their light dispelled the mist, and made the knights and the people see that the Hosts could be killed, and that battles could be won.. much like Eric proved the same here, in front of guards for whom the war was just a story. And together they fought, and together they won, with the last of the Hosts falling down on the ground, dead.

And then, the sound of someone clapping could be heard, immediately followed the sound of two distinct metallic clangs and of two bodies falling to the ground, and by turning around Eric would be able to see Estelle and two men behind two of the guards who were now on the ground - just knocked out, judging by the lack of blood. The two men next to Estelle were knights, a little older than Eric, wearing armors, and armed with longswords, but what was most peculiar about them was that instead of wearing their own coat of arms on their armor - they had the livery badges showing a white unicorn on a blue background, the reverse of Duivene's royal flag - the symbol of the Uncrowned King, the usurper who had once fought to take the throne, supported by Achysia and by the Shade's Hosts, until he was killed by the two princesses, his nieces.

"Impressive, most impressive.", Estelle said out loud, seemingly genuinely impressed. "I'm really starting to see why my sister trusts you and your abilities so much. This was simply meant to be a distraction, to ensure that you wouldn't reach Chovers in time, but we never expected that you would be able to kill them all like this...this.. this could indeed be a problem.."

"Oh, come on Estelle. You can't just kill people because they did something good.", another voice could be heard from behind Estelle, and soon enough they were able to see the arrival of a young man. He was a little shorter than the princess, wearing the white robes of a priest, with long white hair, and silver eyes that seemed hollow, and slightly clouded. The priest was smiling gently, and he stopped right next to Estelle. "On the contrary, I believe that such a show of leadership and bravery should be reward, don't you think so?"

The white-blonde haired princess seemed to be somewhat taken aback by his sudden appearance, and her usual energetic and loud behavior seemed to mellow out a little. "Very well.", she replied in a calmer voice, before looking at Eric again. "One question, or one request - that's what you'll get. If it is within our ability and interest to answer or to do it, we will."

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Mon May 23, 2022 9:46 am

Anselm
Merckburger Fen
Village

Adelheid smiled at Asche as she pledged to come with her, though her eyes seemed to struggle between begging her to reconsider and simply being thankful for her aid. Eventually she said:

"I would hardly consider this an equal trade, Asche, yet I will not lie about being glad for having you by my side. Anyone who, in these lands, feels themselves honourbound enough to embark on such a quest merely because they received some food and water, is a good person and far better company than most here."

She then looked at Veremund, particularly at his wounds with a somewhat critical gaze. It went against her personal code to put a wounded man in additional danger yet she could see that the Paladin was quite committed to his words and she likely wouldn't be able to convince him otherwise...besides, she had to admit that she could not pass up any help at all in the current situation so eventually she begrudgingly nodded, stating:

"Very well Veremund, it will be my pleasure to fight by your side. And alas, as it often is with fateful moments, those who are truly needed are never there so those who are must make do. Let us hope that our strength will be enough."

With that settled, Adelheid proceeded to pay out the promised gold to anyone who did not intend to follow them into the murky waters of the Fen, pulling bags of clinging silver out of the saddlebags of the packhorse which she passed around to everyone except for Asche and Veremund, neither of which were among those who had signed up to work for her money in the first place. Once that was done, she would wave over those who still remained with her and then pull out a map, one of those she had pulled out back at the tavern where the group had initially met.

Putting it on the ground and rolling it out, she'd place stones at each corners so the map wouldn't roll back in on itself. It was a map of the Fen and Adelheid would first point at a location at the border of it, before tracing her finger from it, around a short section of the Fen to a line that ran right through the Fen.

"We are here, in this village. If we move further along the Fen in a southward direction, we should make it to the old road. That is where it should become dangerous. If the Unsterbs are involved, we are most likely to find their lackeys there."

She then traced along the line into the center of the Fen where there was some sort of symbol, a ruined castle or house.

"The most obvious base of operations for the cult would be the old Unsterb Manor. In fact, too obvious. If they were in there, the Tharnrians would have wiped them out. No, it is more likely that they fled into one of the old elvish tombs...which makes things difficult. There are simply too many of them to search them all, not to mention the dangers...and we'd need to find a safe path through the Fen as well."

She sighed in exasperation before continuing:

"I think we will need to rely on fate. We head all the way up to the old manor and hope that we find some tracks or maybe Tormentils that will lead us across safe paths to their hideout. If not...I'm afriad this country is doomed. This Fen has always been a perfect hiding place and if the 16 don't grant us a stroke of luck...our chances are grim."

Im Namen der Eidgenossenschaft von Anselm
In the name of the League of Anselm

An die Apostelprinzessin von Arghyo
To the Apostle-Princess of Arghyo

We, the Most Esteemed Council of the League of Anselm, the Tagungskammerr, foremost legislative body in the League of Anselm, present to you this following missive.

This Most Esteemed Council must politely protest the decision of the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo to hold the trial of the tratiro Kyle Perrin-Palaiologos under their own authority, as he has clearly committed multiple crimes of such magnitude against the Oath League and this Council, that it does not feel the original agreements appropriately, but for the sake of mutual goodwill will not press the issue further and defers to the authority of the Apostolic Principality on this subject. This Council will however demand that the traitor Kyle Perrin-Palaiologos be put into investigative custody at once before he may have a chance to turn fugitive and liquify the majority of his assets.

Furthermore this Most Esteemed Council desires that the Apostolic Principality invoke Oath League Law on those who wish to cross from the Oath League into the Apostolic Principality. This Council is concerned about the ability of suspects and secondary or tertiary masterminds in this conspiracy to cross the border due to lack of crimes committed acording to Apostolic Law, as such contaminating the Apostolic Principality with the presence of further traitors and plotters who seek to undermine the foundations of the very Act of Ascension and the peaceful co-prosperity of the Oath League and Apostolic Principality.

Finally, this Most Esteemed Council thanks the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo for acquiescing to its wishes and permitting a member of this Council to oversee the proceedings. Said member will however require a trusted bodyguard as it has become clear now that the Apostolic Principality harbours those who wish ill upon the Oath League and its representatives and are unafraid to follow their wishes with actions. And if the Apostolic Principality decides to harbour traitorous refugees, that risk is only increased. As such the Oath League must demand that this member will be permitted to bring their own bodyguard.

The Oath League will contribute evidence and witnesses acquired within its territory to the trial to see the traitor Kyle Perrin-Palaiologos found guilty and fair compensation granted to his victims. However, as this affair has created doubt concerning the Principality's honesty and with the Principality wishing to judge the traitor under its own laws, the Oath League sees it necessary to keep its own citizens and assets used in this trial to be under guard by its own personnel at all times.

Frei sein ist notwendig, lebendig sein nicht
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

Intermountain States
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Tue May 24, 2022 12:14 am

The Village, Anselm
Merckburger Fen
Asche

It was a bit of a disappointment to see the group becoming smaller as some of the people in the party seem to not want to get involved in the Fen. It didn't help that Adelheid gave a low odds of the group's chance against the Fen. Well, maybe not grim for her since she seems to be favored by Ed. But Ed did tell her that he can't be around all the time to save her when she's about to die. In a way, his lifeline is limited and Asche did use one of his help.

"What are you getting yourself into now, Emily?" Asche's mind screamed at her as Adelheid brought out the map. "Unsterbs, killer plants, and doomsday cults? I'm supposed to be finding a slaver for bounty, not getting involved in the politics of Anselm."

However, she saw Kaesar heading in the general area hours before, there is a chance that Kaesar could be involved in the Fen. As long as she finds and brings Kaesar to justice, then it is worth playing the political games. Of course, there is also a chance that Kaesar is already dead with his body digested by the things in the Fen. Then it would be for nothing. She just needs to ensure that luck is on her side and it doesn't hurt to gain some allies along the way, especially if she made it back the whole ordeal and is sent on another bounty hunt to Anselm. Plus, Asche already made up her mind when she offered her help to Adelheid. It is too late to back out now.

Perhaps it was time to reveal a tiny bit about herself if it could help with the group's morale. Besides, now that the numbers are down, she could probably take them on in a fight if it was a trap.

"In regards to the old road, I might be able to help out against any ambushes from those cultists or Unsterb's goons," Asche said. She materialized a sword out of thin air. "I have this power where I can materialize weapons from memory," she explained before the sword launched out of air and penetrated a wall. "It can also be used as a form of projectile for a good range. They're generally pretty accurate, especially if you guys need a marksman for instance. Even if our numbers are small, we may have a fighting chance."
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)

Kingdom of Irhk
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kingdom of Irhk » Wed May 25, 2022 7:29 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
(Image)

In the name of Her Majesty, the Apostle-Princess of the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo, I, her humble servant, Mihangyl Šiýkarsto, Margrave of the Principality, will answer in Her Majesty's Name.

The Apostolic Principality of Arghyo is a place ruled by law and by the Faith, as it has always been. As soon as the evidence of the crimes of the individual Kyle Perrin-Palaiologos, who is a subject of Her Majesty, the Apostle-Princess, will be presented to us, we will take the appropriate measures. If the evidence of his crimes is found to be true, then he will be arrested and he will be judged in a court of law in complete accordance with the Codex Juris Tharnriae and the Revertere of Emperor Hartmut the Law-Gatherer, of which he is entitled as a subject of Arghyo. If is he found guilty of his crimes and condemned as such, then depending on whether these crimes were also committed against the Oath-League the court might take the decision to give him to the Tagungskammer for further prosecution. If not, then he will suffer the consequences of his actions here. For his assets, they will initially be confiscated by the Apostolic Principality, and if these assets were gained through criminal actions they will remain confiscated and will most likely be used to help the poor. If evidence of his crimes proves that he has caused damage within the territory of the Oath-League, then the necessary part of his assets will be surrendered to the Tagungskammer.

The Apostolic Principality of Arghyo does not open its borders to criminals and it has its own rules and laws when it comes to administering its borders, based on its Imperial Immediacy and Territorial Supremacy as granted to it through the Pledge of Emperor Remigil the Holy and maintained through the Oath of Ascension signed between the Oath-League of Anselm and the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo. As such, the Apostolic Principality will make its own decisions but we can assure the Most Esteemed Tagungskammer that no one who is a criminal under our laws shall be allowed in.

In accordance with the Act of Ascensions and the Territorial Supremacy of the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo, the Most Esteemed Council does not have the authority to investigate matters in our territory, as that authority belongs fully to Her Excellency, the Apostle-Princess. However, seeing as any investigations into this matter might reveal issues that also concern the Most Esteemed Council and the Oath League, the proposal of the Apostolic Principality would be for the delegate of the Oath-League to be allowed to join the Justitiar that the Apostle-Princess will name in order to investigate this assumed plot. They will as such have access to all the information that the Justitiar will uncover, and will be able to further pursue the matter in the territory under the authority of the Most Esteemed Council as they see fit.

As for your last request, the Apostolic Principality will unfortunately have to refuse. It has been the strict decision of Her Excellency, the Apostle-Princess, not to allow troops of the Oath-League on her territory ever since the creation of the Oath-League, and I, her humble servant, am not able to overturn her express wish. The Apostolic Princely Army and the Retainers of the Silver Rose are more than enough in order to deal with any potential threats to the Apostolic Principality, and we are confident that the Oath-League's troops will be more than able to suppress the uprising even without a southern advance.

Nulla rosa sine spinis
Není růže bez trnů

(Image)
Oath-League of Anselm

Merckburger Fen
Village

Veremund remained silent for a few good moments, but it was rather obvious that he had already made up his mind a long, long time ago. "I will come with you, of course. It is my duty, as a knight, and it is my duty, as a living, human being, to do anything I can to protect the innocent - and few groups seem to be so hellbent on hurting the innocent like the Tormentils.", he spoke in a calm voice, trying to hide the anger within. "And even it hadn't been my duty... I owe it to my men, to at least try to avenge them. So I expect nothing in return, and my sword is yours."The knight then smiled slightly. "I might not be in the best shape right now, but I can still fight if needed."

His obviously dented and very damaged armor and the continued presence of bruises and of patches of dried blood on his skin and in his air might have brought some doubt as far as his ability to fight his concerned, but despite having almost been killed not that long ago, there was a certain strength in the way in which he was standing and in the way in which he was grasping the handle of his still sheathed sword that brought some credence to his claims. "It would have been nice to have a convocation of gryphons and their paladins with us, or maybe a group of Hollow Knights, but we'll manage. We need to find out what these Tormentils are up to and then warn everyone about it, otherwise it would be very difficult to convince anyone that they are still around."

(Image)
Kingdom of Duivene
Ⴐⴄⴈⴀⴓⴋⴄ ⴃⴄ Ⴃⴓⴈⴅⴄⴌⴄ
Reiaume de Duivene

On the road to Chovers
A village

They came after him, following him, running. The golden eyed princess stayed where she was, laughing, clearly enjoying the trick he had used in order to escape, but the Shade's Hosts weren't find behind, as more of them appeared, some riding on dark horses. And with them came a mist, as black as the night, slowly rolling towards the small fortified village, a sight that anyone who had fought in the War of the Uncrowned King would be all too familiar with. But there were few men at arms left who had survived the first months of the war, when their despair was the strongest, and when the Shade's Hosts were everywhere. Cities lost and massacred, the eldest prince murdered, the King still gone.. those were horrible times. But just like then, the soldiers of Duivene were willing and ready to do anything in order to defend their homes and their families.

And the Shade's Hosts advanced, rushing through the mist, running towards they walls. They were not undead, they were still living - if slaves to the Shade and to its voices, and even if the Shade messed with their minds, they were still human. They were wearing old, black armors, and as the arrows pierced them, some of them screamed, but they still moved forward, slower or faster - with one of them wearing a white banner bearing the inky, mask-like sigil that was their symbol. Two of the Hosts even had a small battering ram which they used to quickly hit the gate again, and again, as the mist reached the walls, covering them entirely. Then the gates fell, and the Hosts pushed in, in formation. There was only a dozen of them, far fewer than the soldiers, and some of them had already been wounded, but they fought with a speed and strength that seemed.. inhuman. Eric was holding them back, but the others didn't have so much luck. But Eric was their target to begin with, so they targeted him. The Shade affected each of them differently. Some were relatively calm, and some still could have passed for a normal human under some circumstances, while others had been driven almost insane by it - it filled them with hate and with anger.

They followed him, through the streets, on the rooftops, the deaths of their comrades not seeming to phase them in the slightest. Pain or not, feelings or not, sanity or not - the one thing that all the Hosts had in common regardless of how much they were affected was that they did not falter in following their orders. They had no choice. And not like slaves, who had to obey or else be hurt by their slave sigil - they were unable to even comprehend the notion of not following what they were told. And in the end, maybe this was their weakness. They were but a mere shadow of what they had once been, the last remains of a force that had long been killed off. The Shade twisted their mind, and their thoughts could never match whatever they had before the Shade had corrupted them.

At the beginning, they had rushed through Duivene like a great storm, leaving only death in their wake, killing anyone who opposed them, murdering lords, princes, knights and men at arms. Fear and despair were their allies. But then, someone, two princesses, stood up, and stood their ground, fighting, and bringing hope with them. Their light dispelled the mist, and made the knights and the people see that the Hosts could be killed, and that battles could be won.. much like Eric proved the same here, in front of guards for whom the war was just a story. And together they fought, and together they won, with the last of the Hosts falling down on the ground, dead.

And then, the sound of someone clapping could be heard, immediately followed the sound of two distinct metallic clangs and of two bodies falling to the ground, and by turning around Eric would be able to see Estelle and two men behind two of the guards who were now on the ground - just knocked out, judging by the lack of blood. The two men next to Estelle were knights, a little older than Eric, wearing armors, and armed with longswords, but what was most peculiar about them was that instead of wearing their own coat of arms on their armor - they had the livery badges showing a white unicorn on a blue background, the reverse of Duivene's royal flag - the symbol of the Uncrowned King, the usurper who had once fought to take the throne, supported by Achysia and by the Shade's Hosts, until he was killed by the two princesses, his nieces.

"Impressive, most impressive.", Estelle said out loud, seemingly genuinely impressed. "I'm really starting to see why my sister trusts you and your abilities so much. This was simply meant to be a distraction, to ensure that you wouldn't reach Chovers in time, but we never expected that you would be able to kill them all like this...this.. this could indeed be a problem.."

"Oh, come on Estelle. You can't just kill people because they did something good.", another voice could be heard from behind Estelle, and soon enough they were able to see the arrival of a young man. He was a little shorter than the princess, wearing the white robes of a priest, with long white hair, and silver eyes that seemed hollow, and slightly clouded. The priest was smiling gently, and he stopped right next to Estelle. "On the contrary, I believe that such a show of leadership and bravery should be reward, don't you think so?"

The white-blonde haired princess seemed to be somewhat taken aback by his sudden appearance, and her usual energetic and loud behavior seemed to mellow out a little. "Very well.", she replied in a calmer voice, before looking at Eric again. "One question, or one request - that's what you'll get. If it is within our ability and interest to answer or to do it, we will."

Éric de Villegaignon - At a Duivenian village

The marks of the battle were present along the village. Blood - human and inhuman alike - painted the scenery for any observer: aggressive strokes of the swords launched it against the windows and the pathway as if it the sharp weapons were brushes; slow-paced movements of the wounds lead to puddles and large tracks of blood, with their curves and lines; the destroyed framework of the houses, with arrows stuck at their roofs and bodies at their doorsteps seemed to ironically match with the flowers some of the housewives took care of, as an effort to turn a poor shelter into a pretty home.

Such was the reality of war, that brought an eventual shock to the eyes of a veteran such as Éric: the foul smell of a body burning, the smoke that deposited itself near the chimneys, the stones that were turned by the soldiers - both good and evil - would never be set in the same way, such as the memories of those who were present at that fateful day would never find themselves in the same pristine state.

The blood - human and inhuman alike - could be cleaned: the aggressive art of the painter-soldier would soon be washed away by the diligent hands of caretakers and religious brotherhoods; the slow-paced movements, open statements of those who died a death that came with no rush would soon be carried away by rain; the destroyed framework of the houses would be repaired by masons and engineers; the arrows would be removed and the flowers would bloom once again.

But the eyes of those who weren't used with battle - and even if those who were used to it knew that the Shades were different - showed a different shock. Éric did it again; they did it for the first time. The pupils of their eyes, dilated and attentive at any movement, as if the birds were singing mockeries to their skill and the wind whispered insults to their honor were just an aspect of the post-battle. Others were ready to burst out laughing louder than thunder itself, while some felt that they could cry more than an entire season of rain.

Aggressiveness. Sadness. Happiness.

The claps from Estelle pulled those who joined Éric's cause back from their daydreams at the same extent that seemed to strengthen their reaction: it was not over yet, and her display of power - alongside her accomplices - was a significant mark of what they did. The pupils of their eyes, dilated and attentive, directed themselves to Estelle and the sigil of the Uncrowned King, as if she was mocking them with silent words; Others, tempted to laugh to celebrate a small victory, one that luckily would go into history as an act of honor, held whatever they had closely as they did their emotions; Those ready to cry seemed to hold back the rivers ready to flow out of their eyes in the hopes of dying as brave men.

Until the Constable's voice could be heard.

"Soldiers, at ease!"

No supposition was strong enough to withstand the certainty of the man who spoke with the same firmness that he held his sword and his rank. Slowly, those who survived the attack put down their weapons: the ropes of the bows slowly loosened, as their muscles slowly relaxed and their bodies reminded themselves that they had a pair of lungs. The smell of death was around, yes; but it wasn't the smell of their bodies.

"Soldier, I am sorry to task you with such trivial task, but if you may be so kind, would you get a chair and a jar of water from the nearest house, please? Oh, and some cloths as well, I'll pay soon as I return to this village. If I do return alive here, of course, but that is another topic entirely."

With his request attended, Éric calmly sat down: his sword unsheathed and stained with blood, as he gently passed the cloth through the entirety of the blade, with eventual stops to rehydrate himself. He lifted his sword at the height of his eyes, checking for dried blood, dents, or any imperfection; the pommel was, miraculously, in the same condition as before, and with a deep, relieved sigh, he looked at Estelle.

"Well, mademoiselle Estelle, I'd say it is a pleasure to see you again, but I'm afraid your answer wouldn't be so gentle or enthusiastic upon seeing me, specially alive and talking. Pardon me for my small ritual, but a sword badly maintained is quite the heresy in most faiths... Besides, this is a most trusted companion of mine, a feeling I suppose you do understand by the way you carry your weaponry and by the way your companions - and may I say how happy I am to see people close to my age alongside you - display the mark of the Uncrowned King.

See, I do hope you know this, as your... priestly-looking friend there may know as well, but if you let the blood dry along the blade, the cut isn't so clean: The blade gets stuck, for example, which could lead to... sorry, I feel like I bother you. You, and your entourage aren't here for swordsmanship skills, and I am clearly not in the position of giving you such classes. Allow me a sip of water before I proceed, please.

Ah... now, back at the topic. I am thankful for the way you value my skills, mademoiselle. Thankful as I am, however, I must inform you, as someone who holds certain values of chivalry close to his heart, that you overestimate my talents of holding a sword. I am nothing more than an old goat with enough time on the hills to know shortcuts on how to climb it, for its legs don't work the same anymore.

Why do I keep climbing such hill, you may ask? Because old goats like me, you see... can be quite stubborn. So as curious as I am to know the name of your companion, I lived long enough to know that curiosity fathered disaster, therefore I shall not ask his name. What I do ask for, given his wonderfully done defense of my acts here, is simple: I wish safe passage to Chovers, under the assumption that you won't attack these villagers or their homes. As you can see, they are quite... wishful of a well-deserved night of sleep.

Is that a possible request to grant, mademoiselle Estelle?"
Nothing to see here, move along.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:17 pm

Kyle Perrin-Palaiologos has already been arrested by the Retainers of the White Rose, so from that perspective we would like to ease the fears of the Most Esteemed Council. In accordance with our laws, he will be granted a fair trial as soon as possible, and if our investigation will show that he is also guilty of crimes committed against other domains or entities of the Oath-League, then after his judgment here he will be surrendered to the authorities of the Oath-League with the clear request and condition that he will also be granted a fair trial there, something that he is entitled to as a citizen of the Oath-League.

In regards to the situation surrounding the borders of the Apostolic Principality, we have to remind the Most Esteemed Council that Her Majesty, the Apostle-Princess, stands in firm opposition to several laws that exist within the Oath-League, from the moment those laws were adopted, and that the Apostolic Principality's membership into the Oath-League was only possible precisely because the predecessor of this Most Esteemed Council conceded that the Apostolic Principality will have its own laws and will be able to reject those laws from the wider Anselm that it considers to be in opposition to its principles. That is why, while we appreciate the fact that the Most Esteemed Council is worried about the internal situation in the Apostolic Principality, the actions at our borders will continue to be judged by our laws. If the Oath-League is concerned about the presence of people who are criminals by laws outside of Arghyo at the borders, then we humbly suggest that the Most Esteemed Council sends forces there in order to ensure that those criminals are caught in lands and domains under its jurisdiction.

The Apostolic Principality of Arghyo will allow the representative of the Most Esteemed Council to bring a bodyguard with them if they so wish, even if we continue to firmly believe that the protection of the Retainers of the White Rose is all that they would need. The bodyguard will be accepted, but much like the representative, the bodyguard will need to obey the laws of the Apostolic Principality and to accept the investigative authority of the Justiciar who will be put in charge of the investigation.

The Apostolic Principality will be more than happy to accept the presence of witnesses and evidence from the rest of the Oath-League, and we understand the concerns of the Most Esteemed Council, however the Apostolic Principality is a safe and peaceful place. The presence of armed guards and soldiers of the Oath-League would only serve to scare our citizens and to disturb this feeling of peace, particularly considering the way in which most of the guards and soldiers of the Oath-League are chosen. The presence of mercenaries within the Apostolic Principality has been limited because of the orders of Her Majesty, the Apostle Princess, and Her Majesty would also likely not be happy with the presence of groups of soldiers who are not under her command. We will allow a symbolic presence of small numbers of soldiers to accompany the Apostolic-Princely guards who would escort the evidence and witnesses as long as said soldiers are registered with our authorities, obey the commands of the Apostolic-Princely troops and leave the domains of Her Majesty the Apostle-Princess. If the Most Esteemed Council does not agree to such a proposal, then we would sadly have to refuse their entrance, and if the Most Esteemed Council does not wish to send evidence and witnesses this way, then we would be more than open to the idea of sending mages of of the Apostolic-Princely court to wherever in the Oath-League the Council requests, in order for them to assess the evidence and to facilitate communication with the court of law back in the Apostolic Principality.

Nulla rosa sine spinis
Není růže bez trnů

Oath-League of Anselm

Merckburger Fen
Village

"The Unsterbs..", Veremund murmured, seeming to think about something for a few moments until Asche's sword materialization brought his attention back to what was happening around him. "Materializing weapons from memory is quite the impressive power, Lady Ashe. If you will ever wish to leave private employment behind, I am sure that the Order of the Paladins or the Order of the Scriptures would be most interested in your services. ", he told the bounty hunter with a smile. The knight then unsheathed his sword as he turned around to face Adelheid. "My power is not as great as that of Lady Asche, but I should be able to help too, even if our numbers are low." As he was gripping the handle of his sword, Veremund seemed to focus on it, and thorny vines slowly materialized around it, their thorns seeming to pierce through his glove and into his skin, as they slowly turned from green to red. The vines then seemed to grow, slowly enveloping the blade, and as he moved his sword in a perfect swing, the vines grew even quicker and then broke off into something that looked like a thorny stake, which pierced a nearby tree and broke its trunk into two. The red haired knight then seemed to relax, and the vines slowly disappeared as he sheathed his sword again.

"Regardless of our odds, we must do our best. If the Tormentils are really here, and are planning something, then we have no choice but to press forward. We will follow you, Lady Adelheid."

Kingdom of Duivene
Ⴐⴄⴈⴀⴓⴋⴄ ⴃⴄ Ⴃⴓⴈⴅⴄⴌⴄ
Reiaume de Duivene

On the road to Chovers
A village

Silence covered the village as Eric was cleaning his blade, and the reactions to this interlude were as varied as the people who were around him. The two knights wearing the long dead usurper's arms just stood there, still as if they were statues. The white haired priest continued to smile gently, not showing any clear reaction to being left waiting like this, but Estelle, at least judging by her expression, was annoyed by it, and was becoming more and more irritated by it with each passing moment. As Eric started to talk, she seemed to tighten her grip on her pennon-lance, and by the moment he had finished talking, she seemed to be just one move away from throwing the lance at him, but once again, the mysterious priest intervened, slightly raising his hand - and once again, the anger of the former princess dissipated just as quickly as it had formed.

"I unfortunately know not of the need to clean your blade, Constable Eric. The blade of my lance and the banner on it feed on the blood that bathes them, absorbing it. I can understand the notion of companionship all too well however, certainly better than you understand the notion of safeguarding your own life...", she answered, her voice like cold steel, "But worry not. Had you actually been bothering me, your head would have already been impaled on the top of my lance and we wouldn't have been talking right now. As for your request..." Again, the yellow eyed girl turned to look at her companion, which once again very clearly seemed to enforce who among them was higher in rank, although anyone who had interacted with Estelle would probably know that she did not seem to be the kind the respect someone's rank or authority - so there must have been something more to it.

"A wise choice, Constable de Villegaignon.", the white robed man responded, a more serious expression now on his face, with his hollow eyes pointed towards the general direction from which Eric had been speaking. "Your request could be granted. Your valiant effort here and the bravery of the men who fought here are both to be commended. You will be granted safe passage to Chovers, and we are not going to attack this village or its inhabitants. I must also commend you for not wishing to ask for my name, for I do not have one, at least, not one that you could know." The silver eyed boy then smiled again, as he took a step forward, towards Eric, despite not seeming to be armed. "I am an Archbishop of the Cult of Sins, representing Superbia, the Sin of Pride. And I have to admit, I was quite eager to..meet the person who helped stop our attempt of defeating the Princess of Duivene and her forces in battle." He took another step forward, and again, even if his hollow eyes were clearly blind, the archbishop looked towards him as if something else was there. "I have one question for you, however, Constable de Villegaignon. I am quite curious by nature, you see. What do you think... is your sin? The deepest and darkest sin hiding within your soul. What do you think it is?"

Citadel of Chovers
Throne Room

This was a nightmare that she had seen time and time again. One of her friends, her brothers, her sisters, back again, alive or undead. Standing in front of her, accusing her. Opening the floodgates of guilt, of hate, of doubt. It was a cruel joke of fate. Just as they were at the end of their long journey, at the end of their long struggle, just as they had finally won and brought peace to the Silver Realms. At that very moment, they lost everything. Happiness and relief replaced by anger and hate, by pain and tears. How would life had been without that bloody final battle? How would it had been, if they had never entered that palace? If they had never split up. If she had taken another turn, opened another door. If she wouldn't have helped that fallen soldier, if she wouldn't have stopped to try to let those Achysians.. and him... escape the palace..if she would have managed to find her way back faster... would she have been able to stop it before it even started? That fight between friends, that shattered the hopes, dreams and lives of so many. Just the night before they had all been sitting together around a fire, talking about their dreams for the future. What they wanted to do after the battle. Half of them had their dreams shattered by the cold embrace of death, while the other half had their dreams brought down by the heaviness of guilt.

But this was no dream. And yet, what could she tell her? Did she even have the right to say anything at all? She did not know what it felt like to die, not physically at the very least, but she had dreamed of dying, in every night of sleep ever since that day. Her nightmares were always the reserve of what had happened, with her being in the role of Lidia or her sister, with her dying in that chaotic battle. And it probably wasn't even a fraction of the true pain that the two of them had actually felt... but even so, she willingly accepted that, experiencing it night after night, even if she had to wake up screaming. And of the afterlife.... she had no idea what it was, but she knew for certain, that no matter of how many people she would save, no matter of how many people would pray to her as a Hero and as a Saint.. she would certainly end up in one of the Eight Hells for what she had done. Even just her guilt would have been enough to drag her down into them. Even if she wasn't certain. Was the time she had spent helping the Achysians escape the palace the reason she was late? Would she have been late anyway, lost in that maze of ever changing corridors and doors? It did not matter. The very possibility that this was the reason was something that she could never forget, nor could she forgive herself for it. For all of it.

But remember it she did. Every single moment, every single step, ever single swing or thrust of her lance. Lidia faltering at her arrival. Her indecisiveness and inability to do anything, as her friends were around her, fighting and killing each other. The silver eyed boy coming towards her, and her instincts causing her to tilt her lance. The blood. The screams of her sister.

The thought that Lidia might think that she had done it on purpose, that she thought that she had wanted to do it... it broke her heart into even more shards... but maybe she was right. At least, Alexis wanted her to be right. It would have been easier to accept. Easier to justify. If she had just been a murderous and treacherous kinslayer from the start. Instead of having guilt and doubt eat away at her like rot. But if one thing was true - is that she had never tried to forget anything. Again and again, in every moment of silence, she always tried to go over those memories, again and again thinking about them, about what she had done, about what she could have done. She had never looked away from the blood, and everything that she had done ever since that battle, all the saving, all the protecting - she had done knowing full well that her cause was rotten and broken.

But she couldn't bring herself to say anything. So she just stood there. She did not react to the chanting, and she didn't even flinch as the flames roared towards Lidia. She barely even registered what Lidia told her afterwards. Would it have mattered? She did indeed, after the battle, try to think that it had been right. That she didn't have a choice, that she had done only to stop them from helping that Achysian necromancer, from breaking everything that they had fought for. But she did not revel in the act, nor did she love the praises, as every single one of them was like a dagger deeply piercing her heart. Because as soon as she had left the palace, she had realized. That she would have sided with the Mage-Emperor and with Achysia, that she would have abandoned her country, if Lidia and her sister could have survived.

So they had all the right to hate her. They had all the right to tell her how horrifying the afterlife was, how painful and never-ending it was because that was where she was going to end up too. And she could tell her all of that because her realization after the battle didn't matter. Much like she had been too late to the fight, her realization had also come way too late. Her thoughts meant nothing, because in the end, she had taken part in their killing, she had become one of the Seven Heroes, she had walked over them in order to become what she was today.

So it was only just that they would get a chance at revenge.

Still stuck in her own mind, Alexis let go of her lance, as it fell to the ground, and closer her eyes.

Only for Illania to shout at her, and then tackle her to the ground.

And death never came. Even if it took Alexis a few good moments to realize that, as she barely just heard what Lidia told her before departing. And then Illania slapped her. And again, Alexis said nothing, and did nothing. Her eyes filled with tears, but it looked as if she was still stuck inside of her own head. It was only as those tears started rolling down her cheeks that she finally seemed to notice Illania standing in front of her, and that she had been pulled back up her feet. Her feet seemed to go numb, and she almost fell, grabbing Illania by the shoulders to keep standing up, but none of that seemed to matter as she just continued to look at the Achysian.

"Why?", she asked, her voice strained, the only question that was left within her mind. "Why would you do this? She... the ones the Faith calls the Traitors... they should be the Heroes of Achysia. Why would you... why would you attack her? Why would you... fight her? Why would you fight for... me? Someone who killed your Mage-Emperor... someone who betrayed her own friends, who killed her own kin. Why would you... why would do this?"

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:11 am

Somewhere in Duivene
A ruined town

"Those days... where the only days of respite and happiness in my long, long existence.", Krypta replied in a low voice. "They were far from perfect, but being with you two was all I needed. You two were the first... and the only friends I've ever had. And to think that after right after I was given to Celio I wanted to kill him..." The relic's voice trailed off for a few moments, as she seemed to be lost in her memories. "I remember the hand he extended to me too. I was drowning in pain and in resentment. I hated all humans, and all I wanted was to wielded so that I could see them suffer - and so that I could suffer too. It was as if I was covered by a veil of bitterness that turned everything into darkness. Until I met him. I will never forget that enchanted rose he gave me, the one that wouldn't wither even in my hands." Tears were also rolling down her cheek, but even if the tears were black and unnatural, the very fact that she was crying.. meant that they were human.

"I remember that too. But particularly the silence. Most of my days are just a consistent storm of screams and never-ending crying from the souls that I've captured. But those moments with you two... were the only moments where I ever had complete silence. Still, it is a shame that Celio wasn't in favor of killing or severely wounding those who truly deserved it in the palace. " Despite her tears, her expression was now made brighter by a small smile too. Which quickly disappeared the moment Silvia mentioned the war, and their departure from Achysia.

"You know that he would not want you to die. His entire life... that's the one thing he's never accepted. People he loved, dying. Particularly for him. He would much rather destroy the entire concept that makes you follow orders, than let you die for him. That's why he went into the war so easily, beyond the orders that he received from the Mage-Emperor - he wanted to protect the people he cared about. And please don't... even if he doesn't remember you, the idea that he would soil his hands with your blood... if he were to ever remember you, he wouldn't be able to take it. He already had to kill one of his friends... back in the war. Even if he had no choice, it almost broke him. And if he would ever be forced to do again.. I'm sure it would break him, memories or not. And of course... I don't want you to die either. And drugs...turning you into walking corpse? If that is not reversible, then never. If the issue is about rendering you harmless, about stopping you from carrying out orders... there might be other ways. " And just as she said that, from behind her, Celio's chains clinked.

"I do not think that Celio is an enemy of Achysia, not now at the very least. The Cult of Sins seems to be pretty interested in helping the Restorationists, even if no one knows that that blind priest serving Superbia has in mind." But then silence followed, as Krypta was left without words. "I don't know. I really don't know what to say. Celio... he is the one who was always in charge, who always came up with ideas, who always knew the way through which to move forward, both back then, and during the war. And now that he's lost... I am too, even if I've been trying to help him. Who did this to him? I know... I know, but he does not. Most of his memories are lost, except for bits and pieces that torment him in his nightmares. And I don't know what would happen to him if he were to remember or to find it out." Her voice was now almost a whisper. "He did not die in the war... when you thought he did. He... he betrayed Achysia. He switched sides, and joined the forces of the Holy Covenant. Because for him... the people he loved, saving them.. that was more important than his loyalty to Achysia or to the Mage-Emperor. He fought and he fought, desperately trying to save you all, and while fighting, he found friends, new friends, but friends that were precious to him nonetheless. They were comrades at arms. But at the end, some turned against him and the others. They killed the princesses, the ones that he was most desperate to save, and in the end they killed him too. You are right. There is no way anyone could have survived those wounds. They cut him into pieces and at the end they cut off his head. But he did not die. Even if it might have been better. But I can't... I can't tell you who did this... not yet. Because I know... I know you'll try to go after them. I know you'll try to kill them. But they're more powerful than you could imagine, too powerful. You would just get yourself killed. And I don't... I don't want you to die too. And he must know, he must not find out. "

"What must I not know?"

Celio's voice was heard, just as the two girls started to realize that the smell of lavender was dissipating, the healing spell having ended. And the crimson eyed boy was right behind Krypta, even though luckily he seemed to not have heard their conversation. "What are you doing, Krypta?" And with the relic much too surprised to answer, he took a step forward, and grabbed Silvia's hand by the wrist - the same hand which was holding the blade which had deeply pierced his chest. And Silvia was able to feel just how cold his hand was, and to see just how blue his fingers were - and how pale the rest of his hand was. With the exception of his wrist - underneath the metallic cuffs, which was bruised and wounded. "I will ask you once again. Who are you?"

Kingdom of Irhk
Negotiator

Postby Kingdom of Irhk » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:18 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
(Image)

Kyle Perrin-Palaiologos has already been arrested by the Retainers of the White Rose, so from that perspective we would like to ease the fears of the Most Esteemed Council. In accordance with our laws, he will be granted a fair trial as soon as possible, and if our investigation will show that he is also guilty of crimes committed against other domains or entities of the Oath-League, then after his judgment here he will be surrendered to the authorities of the Oath-League with the clear request and condition that he will also be granted a fair trial there, something that he is entitled to as a citizen of the Oath-League.

In regards to the situation surrounding the borders of the Apostolic Principality, we have to remind the Most Esteemed Council that Her Majesty, the Apostle-Princess, stands in firm opposition to several laws that exist within the Oath-League, from the moment those laws were adopted, and that the Apostolic Principality's membership into the Oath-League was only possible precisely because the predecessor of this Most Esteemed Council conceded that the Apostolic Principality will have its own laws and will be able to reject those laws from the wider Anselm that it considers to be in opposition to its principles. That is why, while we appreciate the fact that the Most Esteemed Council is worried about the internal situation in the Apostolic Principality, the actions at our borders will continue to be judged by our laws. If the Oath-League is concerned about the presence of people who are criminals by laws outside of Arghyo at the borders, then we humbly suggest that the Most Esteemed Council sends forces there in order to ensure that those criminals are caught in lands and domains under its jurisdiction.

The Apostolic Principality of Arghyo will allow the representative of the Most Esteemed Council to bring a bodyguard with them if they so wish, even if we continue to firmly believe that the protection of the Retainers of the White Rose is all that they would need. The bodyguard will be accepted, but much like the representative, the bodyguard will need to obey the laws of the Apostolic Principality and to accept the investigative authority of the Justiciar who will be put in charge of the investigation.

The Apostolic Principality will be more than happy to accept the presence of witnesses and evidence from the rest of the Oath-League, and we understand the concerns of the Most Esteemed Council, however the Apostolic Principality is a safe and peaceful place. The presence of armed guards and soldiers of the Oath-League would only serve to scare our citizens and to disturb this feeling of peace, particularly considering the way in which most of the guards and soldiers of the Oath-League are chosen. The presence of mercenaries within the Apostolic Principality has been limited because of the orders of Her Majesty, the Apostle Princess, and Her Majesty would also likely not be happy with the presence of groups of soldiers who are not under her command. We will allow a symbolic presence of small numbers of soldiers to accompany the Apostolic-Princely guards who would escort the evidence and witnesses as long as said soldiers are registered with our authorities, obey the commands of the Apostolic-Princely troops and leave the domains of Her Majesty the Apostle-Princess. If the Most Esteemed Council does not agree to such a proposal, then we would sadly have to refuse their entrance, and if the Most Esteemed Council does not wish to send evidence and witnesses this way, then we would be more than open to the idea of sending mages of of the Apostolic-Princely court to wherever in the Oath-League the Council requests, in order for them to assess the evidence and to facilitate communication with the court of law back in the Apostolic Principality.

Nulla rosa sine spinis
Není růže bez trnů

(Image)
Kingdom of Duivene
Ⴐⴄⴈⴀⴓⴋⴄ ⴃⴄ Ⴃⴓⴈⴅⴄⴌⴄ
Reiaume de Duivene

On the road to Chovers
A village

Silence covered the village as Eric was cleaning his blade, and the reactions to this interlude were as varied as the people who were around him. The two knights wearing the long dead usurper's arms just stood there, still as if they were statues. The white haired priest continued to smile gently, not showing any clear reaction to being left waiting like this, but Estelle, at least judging by her expression, was annoyed by it, and was becoming more and more irritated by it with each passing moment. As Eric started to talk, she seemed to tighten her grip on her pennon-lance, and by the moment he had finished talking, she seemed to be just one move away from throwing the lance at him, but once again, the mysterious priest intervened, slightly raising his hand - and once again, the anger of the former princess dissipated just as quickly as it had formed.

"I unfortunately know not of the need to clean your blade, Constable Eric. The blade of my lance and the banner on it feed on the blood that bathes them, absorbing it. I can understand the notion of companionship all too well however, certainly better than you understand the notion of safeguarding your own life...", she answered, her voice like cold steel, "But worry not. Had you actually been bothering me, your head would have already been impaled on the top of my lance and we wouldn't have been talking right now. As for your request..." Again, the yellow eyed girl turned to look at her companion, which once again very clearly seemed to enforce who among them was higher in rank, although anyone who had interacted with Estelle would probably know that she did not seem to be the kind the respect someone's rank or authority - so there must have been something more to it.

"A wise choice, Constable de Villegaignon.", the white robed man responded, a more serious expression now on his face, with his hollow eyes pointed towards the general direction from which Eric had been speaking. "Your request could be granted. Your valiant effort here and the bravery of the men who fought here are both to be commended. You will be granted safe passage to Chovers, and we are not going to attack this village or its inhabitants. I must also commend you for not wishing to ask for my name, for I do not have one, at least, not one that you could know." The silver eyed boy then smiled again, as he took a step forward, towards Eric, despite not seeming to be armed. "I am an Archbishop of the Cult of Sins, representing Superbia, the Sin of Pride. And I have to admit, I was quite eager to..meet the person who helped stop our attempt of defeating the Princess of Duivene and her forces in battle." He took another step forward, and again, even if his hollow eyes were clearly blind, the archbishop looked towards him as if something else was there. "I have one question for you, however, Constable de Villegaignon. I am quite curious by nature, you see. What do you think... is your sin? The deepest and darkest sin hiding within your soul. What do you think it is?"

Constable Éric de Villegaignon

"Oh, mademoiselle Estelle. I do beg your pardon for bothering you, an old man tends to feel alone and talk excessively sometimes. Though I am sure that I couldn't satisfy your need for a proper battle indeed: at my age and without the... particular gracefulness your aging displays, I tend to feel excessively tired after any conflict.

Archbishop of Pride... well, due to the very nature of the wish you granted me, I assume my answer will be a little bit tricky in its exposition: I gave classes, yes, a long time ago, for a warrior whose mind isn't sharp as his blade is nothing more than a sword ready to be sold at a stand. It will fulfill its purpose - cut, stab, kill, you choose your method - however, it will display no grace upon doing so or think on why it should, or not, do it. But I do need to ready my mount for the upcoming trip back to Chovers, and these people need to ready themselves for the repairs in this village."

And just as announced, he did it. Éric started to check the saddle; to observe every detail on his companion, even going as far to give the unicorn some water, fruits, and to check if he was okay. And just as he started to ready the mount - and the luggage that went with it - the Constable would start his answer.

"It is an interesting choice of yours, Archbishop, when asking about sins: Deep. Dark. And their superlatives, that is. Deepest. Darkest. To do so is to display, to a certain extent, that in our world, sins are to be buried deep within yourself, carefully watched daily, weekly, monthly, so they can't resurface or produce any offspring. They can't implant their roots, despite us planting them like seeds of a dangerous species deep within ourselves; They can't grow and their branches can't offer us any kind of relief from the scorching virtuous sun, even if we constantly care for them with our watch over them; They can't offer us fruits, and we shouldn't eat them, for that would be to indulge yourselves in carnal intentions or pleasures.

Allow me to list them, if that doesn't bother you too much. Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, and Pride. You, as the maximum expression of the latter, know very well what the Ecclesiarchy's opinions on this particular circle. Lust, as you may see, can be widely interpreted. I may lust for glory, for fame, for women, for man... I can lust for a good meal, but that would be better reached by Gluttony, I'm afraid.

But this wicked perversion, this carnal desire of achieving something can be placed within great advances of the races, I'm afraid. And even if I was a victim of this particular branch of your association, someone did lust for the crown before it became a king, and someone did lust for a woman or a man before they became a husband or a wife. There's some irony to it, I believe: the wedding itself, the most sacred institution against the lust, cannot exist without its announced enemy.

Then we'd have gluttony. I do not know the Archbishop of Gluttony, but it is oh so easy to imagine him feasting upon a never-ending table filled with fat boars, plump birds and the finest wine. But what if one takes pleasure from eating, I dare to think... not from taking the food out of someone else's mouth, but just to sit by himself and enjoy every single aspect of the meal? That lingering smell that hooks out entire body and pulls us toward the table, the taste that can live longer in our minds than most of the faces we'll ever see. Gluttony may be the hardest one to assess under my terms, but here we can see a line defined more clearly: is the sin bad at its nature, or it is our approach on it that makes it such a bad thing?

Greed. It is always funny to think of greed... someone with this bag of coins ready to burst, or even someone who would rather die tightly hugged to a chest than to give it away... both were bad examples of this sin, I think you and I can agree on that. But what about those who act greedy out of trauma, or out of precaution for dark times ahead? Should they be equally penalized by this system of beliefs? Do they meet the same demons in the same corner of Hell?

We are now halfway, more or less. Lust. Gluttony. Greed. Sloth is always a curious one: I was born a noble and it was expected me to not be particularly active, if my name wasn't the bearer of a long lasting military tradition. Should I prepare my own baths? Never! That's an absurd proposition for a duc. Worse: it was expected of other people to do the heavier work for me, if I must be honest. If Sloth was indeed chased, I'd know a handful of nobles and aristocrats that would escape the Virtuous Hammer, unless we assume that there's a special permission for nobles to act on their slothfulness. But there are days, times and holidays where we take upon a slothful approach... where we take our time to appreciate the creation in which we are all inserted, free from the structures that pushes us back to be productive. Is Sloth really a sin in this case, or just something we confined to certain days of the calendar and something certain classes are allowed to have by birthright? Obviously, this do not apply to the soldier who doesn't march to the field because he wants more sleep; that's an entirely different matter, and one we can better judge under the light of honor.

Wrath. Its opposite is Patience; the capability to properly observe and judge. But you're an Archbishop of Pride, so you may tell me: have you never seen wrath in the eyes of a cleric? Don't you feel that, in a certain way, one must tap into the wrathful well to fight against whatever it may consider evil or despicable? I was once hunted by Keepers, and no Patience could be found in their hearts or in the attacks it poured out of their weapons. They feasted upon it, clad in mighty robes of Virtue. Much like in Lust against Chastity paradox, we see another one here: the preachers of Patience, and often their most revered icons, are not those who buried their wrath deep within their hearts; they just made a compromise with it.

Invidia... Envy, as we call it. Is it wrong to envy, or is it wrong to act on Envy? Is it a potent add-on, or is it a blinding sin, in the sense of that it doesn't allow you to appreciate what you already have? In the second scenario, it is a terrible destiny to live indeed, for such a sin puts the others in a deep emotional suffering, as they'll feel they weren't enough to overcome the fate of their relative. But what if such Envy brews change, instead of resentment? Much like Greed, to envy those who display an exceptional ability can lead to self-development... why fight such approach on it?

Then, Pride. It is quite obvious, Archbishop, that you can give a better and more enthusiastic lecture on it than me... I suppose there are different tastes of Pride. To be prideful of a situation you didn't exactly create yourself does sound silly; To be prideful of my nobility makes as much sense to me as if I openly said that I take pride in the color of my hair. It isn't a craft I perfected as the years went by. However, is it wrong to be prideful of the family you built? Unless it blinds you from your own imperfection, that is...

Allow me to stop for a moment, as I need to drink some water. This particular run left me a little bit thirsty... but around this world, I met a man who once explained to me that in this particular country, the division of Virtues and Sins didn't work that well. He used the metaphor of a tree atop a hill: in his words, the tree existed in physical and spiritual form, yet both were contemplated, along the day, by light and darkness, sun and shadow. What use would it be for the tree, even if it could grow legs and move, to complain that a part of its body was in darkness? It would live eternally unhappy, unable to comprehend the movement of the stars that lead to such cycles.

The other half of his explanation consisted in a point that I could expand way more, but I assume that we both lack the time to do so, Archbishop. In this particular approach, it is not a matter of being virtuous or a sinner: it is a matter on how you act on your virtues and your sins, or at least, on how you seek to balance those. Every virtue exist in the opposition of a sin, and every sin lives in the shadow of a virtue: the unachievable perfection, a pillar of the Faith, the always distant dream of sainthood through the permanent purge of sins may work for some, but to others, it brought unhappiness.

For me? I prefer the achievable imperfection. The trait that makes us humans, I suppose. So while I do not hold a deep, dark sin, I do know that one stand out among the most. It is yours, Archbishop. Pride. I take Pride, for twice they tried to break my spirit, and twice they failed; countless times they tried to take my life, and countless times, so far, they failed. I stood like a tree when needed and plotted like a fox when the times called for it, and here I stand: much like this realm's motto, my pride shines yet I do not allow it to burn."

With a determined yet swift movement, Éric mounted on his unicorn. He was once again ready to ride to Chovers, to tell the Princess a story he wasn't even sure she would believe.

"I suppose I should thank you for granting such request, Archbishop. May your roads be safe. Mademoiselle Estelle, may our weapons be sharp when we meet again. Adieu."

The slow, elegant walk turned into a faster, yet equally elegant and constant gallop across the dirt roads of the realm. The noble cloak, the imposing physique of the mount and the crest that symbolized his status as a Constable contrasted with the rural surroundings, who eventually became more elaborate: soon the watch towers populated the roads. Merchants felt safer to display their finest wares, blaring their offers loud as their lungs allowed them to do.

And once again, Éric was at Chovers...

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:57 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:(Image)
Kingdom of Duivene
Ⴐⴄⴈⴀⴓⴋⴄ ⴃⴄ Ⴃⴓⴈⴅⴄⴌⴄ
Reiaume de Duivene

Citadel of Chovers
Throne Room

This was a nightmare that she had seen time and time again. One of her friends, her brothers, her sisters, back again, alive or undead. Standing in front of her, accusing her. Opening the floodgates of guilt, of hate, of doubt. It was a cruel joke of fate. Just as they were at the end of their long journey, at the end of their long struggle, just as they had finally won and brought peace to the Silver Realms. At that very moment, they lost everything. Happiness and relief replaced by anger and hate, by pain and tears. How would life had been without that bloody final battle? How would it had been, if they had never entered that palace? If they had never split up. If she had taken another turn, opened another door. If she wouldn't have helped that fallen soldier, if she wouldn't have stopped to try to let those Achysians.. and him... escape the palace..if she would have managed to find her way back faster... would she have been able to stop it before it even started? That fight between friends, that shattered the hopes, dreams and lives of so many. Just the night before they had all been sitting together around a fire, talking about their dreams for the future. What they wanted to do after the battle. Half of them had their dreams shattered by the cold embrace of death, while the other half had their dreams brought down by the heaviness of guilt.

But this was no dream. And yet, what could she tell her? Did she even have the right to say anything at all? She did not know what it felt like to die, not physically at the very least, but she had dreamed of dying, in every night of sleep ever since that day. Her nightmares were always the reserve of what had happened, with her being in the role of Lidia or her sister, with her dying in that chaotic battle. And it probably wasn't even a fraction of the true pain that the two of them had actually felt... but even so, she willingly accepted that, experiencing it night after night, even if she had to wake up screaming. And of the afterlife.... she had no idea what it was, but she knew for certain, that no matter of how many people she would save, no matter of how many people would pray to her as a Hero and as a Saint.. she would certainly end up in one of the Eight Hells for what she had done. Even just her guilt would have been enough to drag her down into them. Even if she wasn't certain. Was the time she had spent helping the Achysians escape the palace the reason she was late? Would she have been late anyway, lost in that maze of ever changing corridors and doors? It did not matter. The very possibility that this was the reason was something that she could never forget, nor could she forgive herself for it. For all of it.

But remember it she did. Every single moment, every single step, ever single swing or thrust of her lance. Lidia faltering at her arrival. Her indecisiveness and inability to do anything, as her friends were around her, fighting and killing each other. The silver eyed boy coming towards her, and her instincts causing her to tilt her lance. The blood. The screams of her sister.

The thought that Lidia might think that she had done it on purpose, that she thought that she had wanted to do it... it broke her heart into even more shards... but maybe she was right. At least, Alexis wanted her to be right. It would have been easier to accept. Easier to justify. If she had just been a murderous and treacherous kinslayer from the start. Instead of having guilt and doubt eat away at her like rot. But if one thing was true - is that she had never tried to forget anything. Again and again, in every moment of silence, she always tried to go over those memories, again and again thinking about them, about what she had done, about what she could have done. She had never looked away from the blood, and everything that she had done ever since that battle, all the saving, all the protecting - she had done knowing full well that her cause was rotten and broken.

But she couldn't bring herself to say anything. So she just stood there. She did not react to the chanting, and she didn't even flinch as the flames roared towards Lidia. She barely even registered what Lidia told her afterwards. Would it have mattered? She did indeed, after the battle, try to think that it had been right. That she didn't have a choice, that she had done only to stop them from helping that Achysian necromancer, from breaking everything that they had fought for. But she did not revel in the act, nor did she love the praises, as every single one of them was like a dagger deeply piercing her heart. Because as soon as she had left the palace, she had realized. That she would have sided with the Mage-Emperor and with Achysia, that she would have abandoned her country, if Lidia and her sister could have survived.

So they had all the right to hate her. They had all the right to tell her how horrifying the afterlife was, how painful and never-ending it was because that was where she was going to end up too. And she could tell her all of that because her realization after the battle didn't matter. Much like she had been too late to the fight, her realization had also come way too late. Her thoughts meant nothing, because in the end, she had taken part in their killing, she had become one of the Seven Heroes, she had walked over them in order to become what she was today.

So it was only just that they would get a chance at revenge.

Still stuck in her own mind, Alexis let go of her lance, as it fell to the ground, and closer her eyes.

Only for Illania to shout at her, and then tackle her to the ground.

And death never came. Even if it took Alexis a few good moments to realize that, as she barely just heard what Lidia told her before departing. And then Illania slapped her. And again, Alexis said nothing, and did nothing. Her eyes filled with tears, but it looked as if she was still stuck inside of her own head. It was only as those tears started rolling down her cheeks that she finally seemed to notice Illania standing in front of her, and that she had been pulled back up her feet. Her feet seemed to go numb, and she almost fell, grabbing Illania by the shoulders to keep standing up, but none of that seemed to matter as she just continued to look at the Achysian.

"Why?", she asked, her voice strained, the only question that was left within her mind. "Why would you do this? She... the ones the Faith calls the Traitors... they should be the Heroes of Achysia. Why would you... why would you attack her? Why would you... fight her? Why would you fight for... me? Someone who killed your Mage-Emperor... someone who betrayed her own friends, who killed her own kin. Why would you... why would do this?"

Illania de Velira

I am about to raise my hand to slap her again but before I can Alexis stumbles and grabs my shoulders, looking at me and asking me her question. I open my mouth to answer and pause. Why did I save her? Risk life and limb for her sake? For one of the Seven False Heroes? Why did I?

"Solomon would be sad if you died here and, as horrible a sister as I am, those of Velira's blood know this tale well." I mutter before finding my will and meeting her eyes, my anger that has carried me forward since the day my hope died flaring up. "Beyond that, if I must suffer for all my crimes, for burning my homeland, for killing my kin, if I must endure nightmares and flashbacks each and every night, if I must be forced to live despite praying and hoping death will take me so I cannot ruin the world anymore, so must you. I am not going to allow you to take the easy way out and just let someone else kill you, not yet, Spraevia will judge you much as She will judge me but for now you are not allowed to die without a fight."

The Witch of Hellfire, with her own blood on her forehead slowly drying, says this, all of this, with a tone that to some that sounds convincing but a simple look into her eyes would tell almost anyone that she does not believe what she says, not truly.
Last edited by Elysian Kentarchy on Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:21 pm

Kingdom of Duivene
Ⴊჵ Ⴐⴄღნე ⴃⴄ Ⴃⴓⴈⴅⴄⴌⴄ
Lo Regne de Duivene

Citadel of Chovers
Throne Room

A few moments passed in silence, their eyes locked, purple meeting black. Illania's anger and determination were met with confusion, as if Alexis couldn't believe what she had just heard. And who could blame her? She could see it in her eyes, that the Achysian witch did not fully believe what she was saying. The question remained. Why would she do something like this? Why would she save someone who was the enemy of her entire nation, who was responsible for the death of her Emperor and for the deaths of so many other Achysians? Why would she save the person whose prisoner she was? And more importantly perhaps, why would she, in a fight between one of the False Heroes that her nation despised, and the Traitors that Achysia cherished, support the former?

So many questions and so few answers, but before the weakened princess was able to say anything in return, the gates on the other side of the throne room were violently kicked open, and a troop of knights wearing the azure unicorn of Duivene entered, blades in their hands. With the state the throne room was in, and the sounds of battle and of an explosion earlier, there was only one conclusion that they could have reached. Mata la bruixa, salva la princesa!"

Kill the witch, save the princess.

The knights rushed forward, and one of them grabbed Illania and threw her back. No longer holding on to anyone, Alexis stumbled, and almost fell, but another one of the knights intervened and caught her. The others, now surrounding Illania, raised their blades, ready to strike, but before their blades could reach her, and before the witch would have had time to react, the princess shouted. "Arrèst!" And they all stopped, at once, as their training dictated them to do. "Your Highness?", one of them asked, not taking his eyes or his blade away from the enemy. Taking deep breaths, so as to calm herself, the amethyst eyed girl took a step, and then another, now standing up by herself, even if it was clearly taking quite a bit of effort. Even ignoring all the accumulated magic exhaustion that had kept her in the bed in the recent past, the shock of tonight would have been more than enough to keep even one of the Seven Heroes down. But not Alexis. "She did nothing wrong. She was defending me. Someone else was the enemy, and they have already fled." In response, the knights lowered their blades a little, but they were still clearly in disbelief. Not because they did not believe their liege, but because every single thing in their being, and in their past, told them that the witch in front of them was an enemy. And it had only been the fact that she had been taken as a prisoner by the direct orders of the princess that they had controlled themselves, so now, with clear evidence that she had done something...

"How dare you all not listen to the words of your senhor? Have your lost your minds?", a powerful voice could be heard from behind them, as Charles also entered the throne room. Ashamed, the knights sheathed their swords, as the golden eyed commander offered his hand to Illania to help her back up. "Remember the shame that you have felt once you have realized that you have not immediately followed the order of your liege and princess, and remember it well, so that anger may never again overtake the loyalty you owe." Once Illania was back up, Charles sharply bowed his head. "My apologies for the behavior of my men. And thank you for saving your princess."

Even Alexis was somewhat taken aback by this. Seeing the proud knight bow his head, apologize, and thank an Achysian witch was certainly not something that could be seen every day. And despite also being confused, the other knights also bowed their heads. Charles then rapidly turned around. "Come on men. We have someone who managed to enter the citadel and get all the way to the throne room. This is beyond a mistake, this is a stain of shame for the citadel and for all its knights. Gather the mages, we need to rapidly ensure that there are no other intruders. Four knights shall guard the room in which the princess is at all times, the others, come with me."

As the knights left the throne room, Alexis took a few more steps and stopped in front of Illania. "I should not have questioned your motives for doing it, what is more important is that you did it. Thank you." And the princess herself bowed her head in thanks. "I was lost. Guilt was eating away at me. She might be right. Lidia might be right. There is no noble princess, that at the very least is true. I've always tried to be the princess that my people needed, and in my quest to serve my people, in my attempts to do what was right, I might have indeed murdered those closest to me for the sake of glory. We shall see whether my guilt was right all along or whether this.. Lidia was but a nightmare, a twisted nightmare. But it matters not now. Because my duty to Duivene, my duty to my people, still exists. It's the one thing that has kept me alive and going and ever since the end of the war. I think.. and I know that you must understand that. So because of that, I must ask you. For both your people and mine, for both Duivene and Achysia, we must find a way to stop another war, and find a way for your people to gain their freedom without dragging the entire continent into another war. I will not let the Cult of Sins drag us into more bloodshed. And for that, I need to talk with your grandfather. Will you take me to him?"

Citadel of Chovers
The Gates

If Eric would have approached the citadel, he would have immediately been alarmed by the sound of the bells, being rung as all the knights and soldiers returned to their posts. The gates themselves were tightly closed and shut, and in front of them, two soldiers had their spears crossed, while above them, a few crossbowmen immediately aimed their weapons at the rider. "Identify yourself!", one of the two soldiers in front of the gate shouted, only for someone else to shout from above the walls. "It's Constable Éric, it has to be!" But while those on and behind the safety of the walls murmured, those two in front of the gates grasped their spears tightly and pointed them forward, barring his way. And then, a commanding voice was heard from up above, as a golden eyed knight joined the soldiers. "The Citadel is locked. Someone broke through our defenses and almost killed the princess, dark magic, most likely. If you are indeed Constable Éric, how can you prove it?", Charles asked, with his hand on the handle of his sword.

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:43 pm

Illania de Velira

As I am thrown to the ground the wound on my head, which barely had any time to heal besides the bleeding stopping, begins bleeding again. It is at times like this that I desperately wish I had Solomon with me. His healing magic would be much better than anything else I have gotten since I was captured. No time to lament that as the spell immediately springs to mind, my mouth opens, and I almost start chanting, prepared to move to avoid any strikes as best I can, but the Princess stops all of us. I close my mouth and simply observe what will happen next.

What will happen soon becomes evident with the arrival of Charles and witnessing him chewing out the knights. I offer a smile to him as I accept his hand and let him pull me up to my feet and listen to his lecture of the other knights and his apology.

I have to bite down a biting remark in regards to the 'your princess' remark. I may cooperate but I will never serve the family or court that cast aside my mother as if she was trash after everything she did, after she left her children to defend her best friend only to take the fall because someone had to be blamed for it. But pointing that out will not help my situation, while Charles and undoubtedly the princess both know who my mother was, the knights probably do not, so all I do is nod, accepting Charles' bow with the grace of the noblewoman that I am, one that is currently dripping blood onto the floor and clad in a simple robe but still, a noblewoman.

What even am I doing anymore?

"All I have left is Solomon, my promise to him, my great-grandfather, and my duty. My duty to Achysia as a woman bearing the blood of Bearer Velira with all that entails, is one of the things keeping me going since Solomon is forcing me to live." I smile very weakly. "I suppose even Velira's ability to hope against hope is also something his descendants inherit though Solomon is better at it than I am." I sigh. "...After we both get some rest, I get my injuries looked at, and we gather some supplies I will bring you to him." I don't say it because it would be vain but I would also like to change out of this robe my captors gave me. "While other forces are moving I know a relatively safe route we can take to where great-grandfather will probably be if we cannot meet up with Solomon and send a message out to him to arrange a meeting, Solomon probably has a Maiden with him and that would allow us to act faster and it would prevent great-grandfather from doing anything... rash."

The silence stretches out and anyone listening can sense a 'but' is coming. "But, we may already be too late." I suppose I should come clean about what parts of great-grandfather's plans I did not disclose. "Knowing great-grandfather, one of three different plans will be followed. The first and our initial plan was a march on Chovers and quickly knocking Duivene out of the war but the arrival of the Tyrant Prince and you still being alive means that plan is probably off the table at the moment. With you still being alive all the timetables have been moved up. Depending on how much of our land and fortifications have been seized in the initial uprisings, we will be wanting to deal with any major pockets of council forces and consolidate our armies while mustering up more troops. Lord Mavrakis, also known as the Last Admiral, will be arriving soon with all the forces he can gather, many of them freed from the nations that endorse slavery. However, once that consolidation is done, or perhaps even before it if great-grandfather becomes hasty, we are looking at the remaining two plans, dig in and let the Council bloody themselves on our ramparts, turning Achysia into a Battle of Arak’thon from one end of the country to the other or launch an offensive with the goal of making it harder for forces to be gathered against us. If this third option is taken the target would be..." I gulp, realizing if Duivene is off the table and a full invasion of Xerena is out of the question with current forces, there is only one possibility.

And she leans in to whisper so only the princess and not the knights will hear the next words, words that are said as if they were a death sentence. "Great-grandfather will..."

Augustine de Velira

I stab a dagger into the target on the map laid out before my officers and conclude my speech to them by shouting; "We shall march on the Haliarchy and the False Flame shall be extinguished!"
Last edited by Elysian Kentarchy on Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingdom of Irhk
Negotiator

Postby Kingdom of Irhk » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:09 am

Kingdom of Duivene
Ⴊჵ Ⴐⴄღნე ⴃⴄ Ⴃⴓⴈⴅⴄⴌⴄ
Lo Regne de Duivene

Citadel of Chovers
Throne Room

A few moments passed in silence, their eyes locked, purple meeting black. Illania's anger and determination were met with confusion, as if Alexis couldn't believe what she had just heard. And who could blame her? She could see it in her eyes, that the Achysian witch did not fully believe what she was saying. The question remained. Why would she do something like this? Why would she save someone who was the enemy of her entire nation, who was responsible for the death of her Emperor and for the deaths of so many other Achysians? Why would she save the person whose prisoner she was? And more importantly perhaps, why would she, in a fight between one of the False Heroes that her nation despised, and the Traitors that Achysia cherished, support the former?

So many questions and so few answers, but before the weakened princess was able to say anything in return, the gates on the other side of the throne room were violently kicked open, and a troop of knights wearing the azure unicorn of Duivene entered, blades in their hands. With the state the throne room was in, and the sounds of battle and of an explosion earlier, there was only one conclusion that they could have reached. Mata la bruixa, salva la princesa!"

Kill the witch, save the princess.

The knights rushed forward, and one of them grabbed Illania and threw her back. No longer holding on to anyone, Alexis stumbled, and almost fell, but another one of the knights intervened and caught her. The others, now surrounding Illania, raised their blades, ready to strike, but before their blades could reach her, and before the witch would have had time to react, the princess shouted. "Arrèst!" And they all stopped, at once, as their training dictated them to do. "Your Highness?", one of them asked, not taking his eyes or his blade away from the enemy. Taking deep breaths, so as to calm herself, the amethyst eyed girl took a step, and then another, now standing up by herself, even if it was clearly taking quite a bit of effort. Even ignoring all the accumulated magic exhaustion that had kept her in the bed in the recent past, the shock of tonight would have been more than enough to keep even one of the Seven Heroes down. But not Alexis. "She did nothing wrong. She was defending me. Someone else was the enemy, and they have already fled." In response, the knights lowered their blades a little, but they were still clearly in disbelief. Not because they did not believe their liege, but because every single thing in their being, and in their past, told them that the witch in front of them was an enemy. And it had only been the fact that she had been taken as a prisoner by the direct orders of the princess that they had controlled themselves, so now, with clear evidence that she had done something...

"How dare you all not listen to the words of your senhor? Have your lost your minds?", a powerful voice could be heard from behind them, as Charles also entered the throne room. Ashamed, the knights sheathed their swords, as the golden eyed commander offered his hand to Illania to help her back up. "Remember the shame that you have felt once you have realized that you have not immediately followed the order of your liege and princess, and remember it well, so that anger may never again overtake the loyalty you owe." Once Illania was back up, Charles sharply bowed his head. "My apologies for the behavior of my men. And thank you for saving your princess."

Even Alexis was somewhat taken aback by this. Seeing the proud knight bow his head, apologize, and thank an Achysian witch was certainly not something that could be seen every day. And despite also being confused, the other knights also bowed their heads. Charles then rapidly turned around. "Come on men. We have someone who managed to enter the citadel and get all the way to the throne room. This is beyond a mistake, this is a stain of shame for the citadel and for all its knights. Gather the mages, we need to rapidly ensure that there are no other intruders. Four knights shall guard the room in which the princess is at all times, the others, come with me."

As the knights left the throne room, Alexis took a few more steps and stopped in front of Illania. "I should not have questioned your motives for doing it, what is more important is that you did it. Thank you." And the princess herself bowed her head in thanks. "I was lost. Guilt was eating away at me. She might be right. Lidia might be right. There is no noble princess, that at the very least is true. I've always tried to be the princess that my people needed, and in my quest to serve my people, in my attempts to do what was right, I might have indeed murdered those closest to me for the sake of glory. We shall see whether my guilt was right all along or whether this.. Lidia was but a nightmare, a twisted nightmare. But it matters not now. Because my duty to Duivene, my duty to my people, still exists. It's the one thing that has kept me alive and going and ever since the end of the war. I think.. and I know that you must understand that. So because of that, I must ask you. For both your people and mine, for both Duivene and Achysia, we must find a way to stop another war, and find a way for your people to gain their freedom without dragging the entire continent into another war. I will not let the Cult of Sins drag us into more bloodshed. And for that, I need to talk with your grandfather. Will you take me to him?"

Citadel of Chovers
The Gates

If Eric would have approached the citadel, he would have immediately been alarmed by the sound of the bells, being rung as all the knights and soldiers returned to their posts. The gates themselves were tightly closed and shut, and in front of them, two soldiers had their spears crossed, while above them, a few crossbowmen immediately aimed their weapons at the rider. "Identify yourself!", one of the two soldiers in front of the gate shouted, only for someone else to shout from above the walls. "It's Constable Éric, it has to be!" But while those on and behind the safety of the walls murmured, those two in front of the gates grasped their spears tightly and pointed them forward, barring his way. And then, a commanding voice was heard from up above, as a golden eyed knight joined the soldiers. "The Citadel is locked. Someone broke through our defenses and almost killed the princess, dark magic, most likely. If you are indeed Constable Éric, how can you prove it?", Charles asked, with his hand on the handle of his sword.

Éric de Villegaignon

Of course: the plan made by Estelle involved Alexis, who, in turn, was at Chovers, recovering from the last battle against her opponents. The loud, ringing bells married the heavy march of the soldiers in a tune that seemed to alter the atmosphere itself, turning the loud cries of sales and wares into near silent whispers of fear. Would their princess - nay, their Hero and defender - be alive? If so, under which circumstances?

"An old man can't have a day of peace... I'm riding an unicorn, men of Duivene. On my right shoulder, somewhat hidden, lies the brooch that displays my status as a Constable of this realm; my sword, if I lay it at your feet, will not be unsheathed unless I allow it to be. Of course, I can trace my lineage back to the days where my Villa was just a small settlement and we Villegaignons knew how to hold the pointy end of a sword towards another.

Now, would you be so kind and let me pass?I had a run-in with the Shade's Hosts who are biting at our ankles right now and the Princess needs to be warned."

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:43 pm

Somewhere in Duivene
A ruined town

"Those days... where the only days of respite and happiness in my long, long existence.", Krypta replied in a low voice. "They were far from perfect, but being with you two was all I needed. You two were the first... and the only friends I've ever had. And to think that after right after I was given to Celio I wanted to kill him..." The relic's voice trailed off for a few moments, as she seemed to be lost in her memories. "I remember the hand he extended to me too. I was drowning in pain and in resentment. I hated all humans, and all I wanted was to wielded so that I could see them suffer - and so that I could suffer too. It was as if I was covered by a veil of bitterness that turned everything into darkness. Until I met him. I will never forget that enchanted rose he gave me, the one that wouldn't wither even in my hands." Tears were also rolling down her cheek, but even if the tears were black and unnatural, the very fact that she was crying.. meant that they were human.

"I remember that too. But particularly the silence. Most of my days are just a consistent storm of screams and never-ending crying from the souls that I've captured. But those moments with you two... were the only moments where I ever had complete silence. Still, it is a shame that Celio wasn't in favor of killing or severely wounding those who truly deserved it in the palace. " Despite her tears, her expression was now made brighter by a small smile too. Which quickly disappeared the moment Silvia mentioned the war, and their departure from Achysia.

"You know that he would not want you to die. His entire life... that's the one thing he's never accepted. People he loved, dying. Particularly for him. He would much rather destroy the entire concept that makes you follow orders, than let you die for him. That's why he went into the war so easily, beyond the orders that he received from the Mage-Emperor - he wanted to protect the people he cared about. And please don't... even if he doesn't remember you, the idea that he would soil his hands with your blood... if he were to ever remember you, he wouldn't be able to take it. He already had to kill one of his friends... back in the war. Even if he had no choice, it almost broke him. And if he would ever be forced to do again.. I'm sure it would break him, memories or not. And of course... I don't want you to die either. And drugs...turning you into walking corpse? If that is not reversible, then never. If the issue is about rendering you harmless, about stopping you from carrying out orders... there might be other ways. " And just as she said that, from behind her, Celio's chains clinked.

"I do not think that Celio is an enemy of Achysia, not now at the very least. The Cult of Sins seems to be pretty interested in helping the Restorationists, even if no one knows that that blind priest serving Superbia has in mind." But then silence followed, as Krypta was left without words. "I don't know. I really don't know what to say. Celio... he is the one who was always in charge, who always came up with ideas, who always knew the way through which to move forward, both back then, and during the war. And now that he's lost... I am too, even if I've been trying to help him. Who did this to him? I know... I know, but he does not. Most of his memories are lost, except for bits and pieces that torment him in his nightmares. And I don't know what would happen to him if he were to remember or to find it out." Her voice was now almost a whisper. "He did not die in the war... when you thought he did. He... he betrayed Achysia. He switched sides, and joined the forces of the Holy Covenant. Because for him... the people he loved, saving them.. that was more important than his loyalty to Achysia or to the Mage-Emperor. He fought and he fought, desperately trying to save you all, and while fighting, he found friends, new friends, but friends that were precious to him nonetheless. They were comrades at arms. But at the end, some turned against him and the others. They killed the princesses, the ones that he was most desperate to save, and in the end they killed him too. You are right. There is no way anyone could have survived those wounds. They cut him into pieces and at the end they cut off his head. But he did not die. Even if it might have been better. But I can't... I can't tell you who did this... not yet. Because I know... I know you'll try to go after them. I know you'll try to kill them. But they're more powerful than you could imagine, too powerful. You would just get yourself killed. And I don't... I don't want you to die too. And he must know, he must not find out. "

"What must I not know?"

Celio's voice was heard, just as the two girls started to realize that the smell of lavender was dissipating, the healing spell having ended. And the crimson eyed boy was right behind Krypta, even though luckily he seemed to not have heard their conversation. "What are you doing, Krypta?" And with the relic much too surprised to answer, he took a step forward, and grabbed Silvia's hand by the wrist - the same hand which was holding the blade which had deeply pierced his chest. And Silvia was able to feel just how cold his hand was, and to see just how blue his fingers were - and how pale the rest of his hand was. With the exception of his wrist - underneath the metallic cuffs, which was bruised and wounded. "I will ask you once again. Who are you?"

I listen to Krypta's words, my eyes wide in horror. Betray Achysia? Join the enemy? I may not have great-grandfather's loyalty but the concept is incomprehensible to me. But something she says sticks with me. All Achysians know who murdered the princesses. If Celio became what I think she means I have so many questions. How could he? And why would they accept him? Was this why he died? Because they were done using him? I open my mouth to try to confirm this but before I can ask a voice cuts me off.

"What must I not know?" Celio asks, approaching us and I quickly school my features. He asks Krypta again but she doesn't respond and so he grabs my wrist. My every instinct screams corpse but I keep my face schooled, this is Celio. He may look different. He may look like a corpse. But this is Celio.

"Is there a point in giving the answer I want to give if you do not remember who I am and what the words mean?" I ask quietly before sighing and giving part of the answer I want to give. "Silvia, your best friend, despite what our reunion may seem to imply." I note in a tone lacking humor.
Last edited by Elysian Kentarchy on Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:11 am

Somewhere in Duivene
A ruined town

There was nothing but silence for a few long moments as Celio continued to simply look into Silvia's eyes, crimson meeting brown. His hand, still grabbing her wrist, tightened its grasp, until it would have hurt, until anyone would have wondered how there be so much strength left in his blueish fingers. His hand was cold, but he didn't seem to be dead. Not fully at least. And his expression? Confusion. A little bit of anger, still subsiding. And maybe just a hint, a shadow of a memory? But no, the boy simply shook his head, and then suddenly, he let go. "My... best friend?", he asked, a hint of sarcasm in his tone. And in his entire being, there was like a hint of... fear? Almost as if he was expecting her to try to stab him again, at the very moment he would let down his guard.

Turning his head around a little, the black haired boy looked at Krypta, but if the two of them were communicating, they were doing so without talking. Silence once again reigned, until the relic crossed her arms and closed her eyes, seemingly in frustration. And the Archbishop once again turned to face the person who had almost killed him. "I do not remember you. But I do know what a best friend is meant to be. So tell me, Silvia." A step forward, and he was once again face to face with her. So close, that she could see the bruises on his neck, done by his metallic collar. "Why would my best friend try to kill me? Or better, why did you kill me? Had it not been for my current circumstances, I would have died. Why did you stain your knife with my blood?"

Kingdom of Duivene
Ⴊჵ Ⴐⴄღნე ⴃⴄ Ⴃⴓⴈⴅⴄⴌⴄ
Lo Regne de Duivene

Citadel of Chovers
Throne Room

"Very well.", Alexis answered, as she extended her right hand, holding it in front of herself, as the crest on her palm began to shine. "Guèris, guèris, ferida dolenta/Amb lo poder de la luna creissenta." And with that, the wound on Illania's head closed and healed as if it was never there. The princess looked paler for a moment, but she seemed to quickly regain her composure. "It's the least that I could do.", she told her, a smile on her face. Before she was able to say anything else though, one of the knights approached, with her banner-lance in his hands. Without a word, the knight dropped on one knee and offered it to her. Thanking him, Alexis took her weapon, and from the moment she touched it, it was as if all her energy from before had returned to her. Using her lance to support herself, the princess then looked again at the witch, her expression quickly growing serious, as she started talking, her voice low enough as not to alert the knights. "If your grandfather wishes to attack the Haliarchy... we have to stop him. We have to stop him before it is too late. I have all the respect... for your great-grandfather's skill as a general, and for the courage of your people... but now, with the Night of the Bloody Moons having passed, it means that the Scriptures are all returning. The Faith's Judgment will be there too, and the Faith's Shield is likely still mobilized. They can hold their ground. And once Ekaitz finds out about this, he will strike with his forces. Either they will come to the Haliarchy's aid, and attack your forces from behind, or he will strike Achysia and sow death and destruction. He never could hide his hate for you, for your nation, and for your people, not before, and certainly not now."

Alexis sighed deeply, and closed her eyes. "We need to move quickly... but we should go to Solomon first. I hope... that he can understand what's at stake. And maybe with the both of you, we have a chance to convince your great-grandfather. We''ll rest a little, gather the supplies, and then leave, as fast as we can."

Citadel of Chovers
The Gates

"Very well. Open the gates!", the order sounded, and the two soldiers stood aside. Once the gates opened, and once Eric would have entered the citadel, he would have found Charles, having climbed down from the gate building. "I'm sorry, constable, but we had to be sure. Someone managed to slip by all of our defenses and patrols, and attacked the princess in the throne room. It's unheard of. It's a shameful stain on the honor of this citadel. No enemy managed to breach its walls and to get in during the entire war, and now someone got into the throne room itself?" The golden eyed man sighed deeply. "It was the Achysian witch's intervention that saved our princess. And now I believe that she will be preparing to leave again. I know that she'll probably try to leave all by herself, but you know very well that we can't let her do that. She will likely refuse an escort, so can I at least count on you, to go with her and help her? I can not leave, as I am still the mestre of this citadel, but I know that the princess won't refuse your help, if you'll offer."

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:19 am

Melodie, the servant's quarters

I am stirred from my sleep by the sound of the alarm bells and I can't help but groan. It figures that for the first time in about a week that I was actually able to get some good sleep that the alarms get raised. Well, nothing to be done. And so I get changed out of my bed clothes into my maid uniform, reach under my pillow for the dagger I keep under there when I sleep, and hide it on my person. And I plop myself down on my bed, planning on staying right here, I have no idea what is going on but I have already drawn too much attention to myself with my previous actions and I am not going to run into another situation like this.

Augustine de Velira

I sigh as I rub my eyes, my officers having left, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Realistically speaking, taking the capital of the Haliarchy is aiming as high as possible, with time and preparations I could do it, but the main purpose of telling them that was to fire up the men, to give them a target. The real objective will be to draw out any forces they are mustering and destroy them to weaken any potential attack on Achysia. Giving pitched battle against anyone is not on the cards but I am giving orders for favorable positions to be prepared. Time, I must continue to play for time. I turn to my maiden and tell her. "Send word to Solomon, I want Bearer Nerine sent up here with all due haste." She nods and begins to send the message.

Various parts of Achysia

Maidens who have thrown their lot in with the promise of the Restorationists go from village to village, town to town in Achysia, to speak to the people. And the Achysians, as bound by their faith and traditions that they are, listen to these symbols of Achysia's faith, as they all preach the same message.

"Sons and Daughters of Achysia, listen to my voice! Since that horrible day our nation, our people, have been dragged through the mud without end. Our faith has been banned, our traditions have been persecuted, the Maidens blessed by Solaris are executed wherever they are found, our bodies have been forced to kneel, to submit to those who would see the radiance of Achysia and seek to destroy it. They seek to destroy everything that makes us Achysians. And that is why I make this proclamation to you: it is true that our souls await the day we rejoin His Undying Majesty at Solaris' side, but our Exalted Empire must be protected here and now, at all costs! Achysia is immortal, Achysia will never die so long as her sons and daughters are willing to fight for it! As the Emperor carried the light into battle during the Age of Abhorrence so we too must bear the light into war against the False Faith, against the usurpers and heathens who wish to smother the light led by the False Heroes. Sons and Daughters of Achysia, awaken to our call! For the sake of the future of our people, our empire, our world itself, rally beneath the banner of General de Velira, successor of Bearer Velira who followed the Emperor Himself in the Age of Abhorrence! Our Empire faces great peril but we are not helpless! The light still dwells within us and now, more than ever, we must call upon that light for war! In doing so we shall push back our enemies and emerge victorious. And, when that day comes, we shall reclaim our lost future!"

"The light of Solaris illuminates our path, remember that and never lose hope for Achysia is not yet lost! As the Emperor built Achysia from the ashes of the Age of Abhorrence so too shall General de Velira rebuild us from the ashes of this Age of Heresy! Because Achysia will never be lost!"

Silvia de Velira

I keep my face blank. "I was not aware it was you until I saw your face, had I been aware I would have not done so."

Intermountain States
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:47 pm

Pakrzyski,
Wyzkia
Jean Corvoisier, Rogalski and Associates

A seven man team of bounty hunters lead by Jean Corvoisier and a local guide from the nearby town of Pakrzyski followed the trail of pressed plants and crops until they were out of the field. After time spent searching, they noticed smoke coming from the air behind a large rock. The bounty hunters crouched down or laid prone, being careful to maintain their distance from the smoke as to not draw attention. A bounty hunter near Jean, Wojtek, took out a scope and peered through it.

"What do you see?" Jean asked.

"I see two armed men walking around with crossbows, three men sitting around a campfire roasting a skinned rabbit, and two men guarding four females tied together," Wojtek whispered before giving the scope to the local guide, Konstantyn.

"Yup, they're the Goral matriarch and the daughters," Konstantyn said. "They have some bruises and cuts but they don't look too badly beaten up."

"Alright, this is the plan," Jean began, pointing at the bounty hunters. "I want the marksmen to take out the crossbowmen. Wojtek and Hans; you go in and take out the guards near the Gorals and rescue the ladies. I'll lead the rest to take out the ones at the campfire.

"Let's make this quick and clean," the lead bounty hunter continued. "But let's make sure we have at least one alive for interrogation. They may be part of a larger network of slavers abducting civilians in border towns." The rest of the bounty hunters nodded and positioned themselves for the raid, spreading themselves out. The marksmen, Jakub and Wilhelm, drew their bow and crossbow and aimed them at the arbalists while Wojtek and Hans flanked around to get closer to the men guarding the Goral ladies.

The whistle of arrows was slightly heard and the two crossbowmen crumpled to the ground while at the same time, Wojtek and Hans grabbed the two men guarding the captures and slit their throats. The men at the campfire looked around, alarmed; a few grabbing their weapons. Then came the rest of the bounty hunters charging forward with their weapons and knocked down the remaining raiders.

It was a quick battle and only two raiders remained, battered and kneeling on the ground with both of their hands on their heads. Two of the bounty hunters, Wojtek and Jakub, were interrogating them while Jean and another bounty hunter, Miroslawa treated the injuries of the Goral ladies. Wojtek and Jakub would soon walk to Jean, finished with the interrogation.

"According to the raiders, they were to bring the Gorals right past the border to a larger camp where they are to process and transport them to a trafficker," Wojtek explained.

"They were planning on leaving at dawn with this map as a reference point," Jakub added, showing a folded sheet of paper.

"Excellent work," Jean said. "What did you do with the surviving slavers?"

"They'll be walking with us back to Pakrzyski," Jakub said. "No use in dragging more corpse back to the town."

"I'll have Wilhelm, Jan, and Konstantyn escort the ladies back to the town. Wilhelm should be able to request a coach from the sheriff for transporting these criminals to face justice. We'll await here for more bounty hunters from Stefen before we begin our field trip with this map."
Last edited by Intermountain States on Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kingdom of Irhk
Negotiator

Postby Kingdom of Irhk » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:32 am

Somewhere in Duivene
A ruined town

There was nothing but silence for a few long moments as Celio continued to simply look into Silvia's eyes, crimson meeting brown. His hand, still grabbing her wrist, tightened its grasp, until it would have hurt, until anyone would have wondered how there be so much strength left in his blueish fingers. His hand was cold, but he didn't seem to be dead. Not fully at least. And his expression? Confusion. A little bit of anger, still subsiding. And maybe just a hint, a shadow of a memory? But no, the boy simply shook his head, and then suddenly, he let go. "My... best friend?", he asked, a hint of sarcasm in his tone. And in his entire being, there was like a hint of... fear? Almost as if he was expecting her to try to stab him again, at the very moment he would let down his guard.

Turning his head around a little, the black haired boy looked at Krypta, but if the two of them were communicating, they were doing so without talking. Silence once again reigned, until the relic crossed her arms and closed her eyes, seemingly in frustration. And the Archbishop once again turned to face the person who had almost killed him. "I do not remember you. But I do know what a best friend is meant to be. So tell me, Silvia." A step forward, and he was once again face to face with her. So close, that she could see the bruises on his neck, done by his metallic collar. "Why would my best friend try to kill me? Or better, why did you kill me? Had it not been for my current circumstances, I would have died. Why did you stain your knife with my blood?"

(Image)
Kingdom of Duivene
Ⴊჵ Ⴐⴄღნე ⴃⴄ Ⴃⴓⴈⴅⴄⴌⴄ
Lo Regne de Duivene

Citadel of Chovers
The Gates

"Very well. Open the gates!", the order sounded, and the two soldiers stood aside. Once the gates opened, and once Eric would have entered the citadel, he would have found Charles, having climbed down from the gate building. "I'm sorry, constable, but we had to be sure. Someone managed to slip by all of our defenses and patrols, and attacked the princess in the throne room. It's unheard of. It's a shameful stain on the honor of this citadel. No enemy managed to breach its walls and to get in during the entire war, and now someone got into the throne room itself?" The golden eyed man sighed deeply. "It was the Achysian witch's intervention that saved our princess. And now I believe that she will be preparing to leave again. I know that she'll probably try to leave all by herself, but you know very well that we can't let her do that. She will likely refuse an escort, so can I at least count on you, to go with her and help her? I can not leave, as I am still the mestre of this citadel, but I know that the princess won't refuse your help, if you'll offer."

Éric de Villegaignon - Citadel of Chovers, Duivene

It seemed that from the day Alexis figured out how to walk, she couldn't stop anymore: some twisted curse planted deep within her spirit compelled her to a severe disregard towards her own well-being and forced her to march over and over until she lost her legs or her heart: whichever came first, by the amount of times he heard sentences pointing out that she was heading somewhere.

"It's alright Charles, you were just doing your job. Arrange patrols for the nearby villages once this is settled, for I feel they'll be in need of assistance. With engineers as well... I do know that the humble administration will agree with my request, eventually. If Alexis is patient to the point of waiting, I'll organize some groups myself. Best of luck to you, and may your weapon be sharp."

Through the crowded streets of the Citadel, Éric rode on a rhythm that wished to be a gallop, but couldn't: there was no space for his steed to do so, and there wasn't enough fire in both of them to do so under "normal" circumstances. How many men could say they survived such an encounter? And how many actually did so? Would the Princess believe them?

The questions made time fly by, as once again, he was in the throne room.

"Your Highness, Princess Alexis. Lady Illania. We need to talk. Urgently."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse