NATION

PASSWORD

The Dance of Chaos [IC-Fantasy-OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kingdom of Irhk
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kingdom of Irhk » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:36 pm

Disclaimer: the following post is a collaboration involving Dragos Bee, Elysian Kentarchy and Irhk.

Kartaran Isles - Achilleas Galdrsson

The leader of the Galdrssons had his mind filled with the worries of a possible battle. Sure, it could end the constant struggle between Kartara and Calaria, a clash of resources and faiths, but to what cost? Would his clan stand after the bloodshed and the clash of blades? Would he stand? A true Kartarian was taught to not fear a honourable and fair death, yet a wise Kartarian knew very well that one shouldn’t rush the end of his days in the land of the living.

He paced through the room, staring at maps, writings, books: what would come out of this meeting? Was this Lady Alessia Hightide, a hero with a foot in the continent and another in the isles, a savior or the harbinger of damnation? The right way wasn’t always the easiest one to find, and Achilleas knew it. And his trusted general and advisor was somewhere on the way…

One of his advisors, however, walked inside his quarters, with an answer to the message he sent in the form of many gifts and an ambassador that stood in the throne room. Lady Alessia wished to talk on neutral grounds.

“First, I thank you for the gifts you offer to my clan. I shall offer some myself to Lady Alessia, once we meet. I am honoured to see my hall witnessing such a promising, younger generation with knowledge of how we should talk to each other. I reckon that you are nearing your wedding? May your children be upstanding members, may their arms be strong, their legs swift, their hearts brave and their minds sharp.

Tell Lady Alessia that outside this town there is a hill, and atop this hill, a tree stands. May it be the witness that no aggression will be held there, or may my generations be damned for many years to come. I will set up a table, so we can eat and drink like the humans we are, and after that, so we may talk like the politicians we also are. May the gods watch you on your way back.”

A few days later… - Hill of the Winter’s Tree

A long table was set on the hill, accompanied by chairs covered by a fine piece of silk and a bear pelt to keep them warm from the winds that blew atop the hill. Food and drink were well-served, with fruits, meat and wine being abundant, as Achilleas stood overlooking the way Lady Alessia would arrive.

“I just hope there are no surprises…”

Warmage Alessia Hightide

There was one surprise, but it was one which did not necessarily signal hostility. Lady Alessia was accompanied by one other person, the Last Admiral of Achysia. As she approached the long table, she gave a bow of respect to the Galdrsson and followed the courtesies for a meeting between chieftain and chieftess, before introducing the Last Admiral himself.

“Chief Galdrsson, allow me to introduce to you the key to victory over the Calarian Fleet being assembled to crush our resistance - The Last Admiral of Achysia, who has come under banner of truce and safe-conduct in order to discuss how his forces might add to our own,” straight and to the point, perhaps a tad impatient given how much time Alessia had allowed to lapse between the Drowning of Pekastro and this meeting.

Achilleas examined the newcomer with attentive eyes: the ceremonial mask he saw in days of old, often carried by the Achysian high-ranked men, the posture of a man who carried himself with the austerity that a man of his position would find useful.

“Lady Alessia, it is a pleasure to receive you and your… ally at this neutral ground we forged with our good will. I need to say that his mask is something I didn’t see in… quite some time, I need to admit. Last time I saw one of the.. Admirals, guess that is the term you use happened when we sailed together. Let us all sit, and eat while we talk, please.”

As they all sat and the soldiers stood at guard, Achilleas slowly allowed the feeling of being unsettled by the faceless ally, as they all shared wine and meat. Yet one chair still remained vacant…

“Tell me, Lady Alessia and Last Admiral, what are your plans for this particular conflict we face against Calaria.”

Warmage Alessia Hightide

Chieftess Alessia Hightide then said, “We gather all our fleets into one large flotilla, find out when and where the Calarian Armada is heading, then intercept it. Once we sink it, we then conduct an offensive over land and liberate the rest of the island.”

She then looked at The Last Admiral, “Alternatively, we use every resource we have - Magic, mainly, to discover where the Calarian Armada is assembling and do a pre-emptive strike. This would be even riskier, though.”

Meanwhile… - Éric de Villegaignon

It was a hard bargain to get a ship that would allow him and his recently reacquired mount inside, especially given the destination he picked. Why a Constable named by the Princess herself was traveling to Kartara? Éric wouldn’t answer and they wouldn’t pester the man who quietly enjoyed the sight of the sea once again.
However, the news delivered to him filled his mind. Who was behind the initiative of a joint force? Certainly, it wasn’t the first time such an idea appeared in the minds of the islanders, but it seemed different in initiative. Sailors told him about the drowning of Pekastro, a powerful attack that pushed back the Calarian line, under the same name that was contained in the letter addressed to him.

The ship crossed the sea quickly, cutting through the waves, set on its destination, as Éric enjoyed the peace of the sea breeze through day and night. Yet the particular breeze of the Kartaran beaches surprised his senses, and his eyes once again witnessed the isles that were his home for such a long time.

As he guided his unicorn, out of the ship, a warm yet worried welcome greeted him. Achilleas was on his way to a meeting, and clearly needed his most trusted General once again. Quickly, he got up on his mount, praying that the speed and stamina of Audace didn’t get lost in time…

“Achilleas, you bastard…”

The Last Admiral

I bring a hand up to the chin of my mask as I speak, clearly in deep thought, and having set aside my distaste of working with those allied with our enemies by order of the Lord General. “I thought it over during our journey here and I would propose an alteration if we do go ahead with the interception plan. The Calarians would likely expect a Kartarian response, perhaps a force attempting to intercept them, but they would not expect the entire surviving Achysian Navy and we can use that.” I wave my hand and three small ships, one for each of the three nations appear on the table, the Kartarian and Calarian facing off while the Achysian is approaching the Calarian. “Put simply I would propose that the Kartarians attempt to draw the armada in and my forces attack them in the flank. How this will come about depends on when we want to give battle, if we find out their route we can generally dictate when the battle will take place and we must use that to our advantage. I would propose one of three ideas, on a foggy, perhaps rainy, day, simply use magic to create fog to hide my ships and if it needs to be at a greater distance use wind magic to sail in faster, or, more difficult and nearly impossible for the inexperienced, a night battle.” With each scenario he says the related effects appear on the table around the ships. “Regardless of the method when we have the seas we want to fight on the Calarians can be drawn in and using the environment I will be able to take them by surprise and, ideally, get in close with my boarding parties and battlemages. The fighting will likely be bloody but I think it would give us the best chance of victory unless an alternative presents itself.”

Achilleas Galdrsson

Attentively, he observed the effects cast by the mysterious figure who sat, one that certainly knew extremely well the strategies of battling at sea. The concept was simple yet effective: to overcome, in number and wit, the Calarian forces that attempted to seize the sea.

“Yes… but such numbers could easily draw the attention and justify the use of bigger weapons against us. So far, they are advancing, yet hesitant to show the full reach of their fangs against us. If we show up as allies, and no offense, allies that carry the controversy as the Achysians, could blow an all-out war.

Lady Alessia, what are your thoughts on the matter?”

Warmage Alessia Hightide

Lady Alessia’s response was simple, “I fought in a full-scale war, I know the risks and the tragedies and what we all have to lose in one. However, the fact remains, if we rely on Calarian hesitation even as their advancement is inevitable, would we not just be postponing the day of reckoning to future generations? Will we have our children be enslaved in the future just so we can avoid the same fate at present?”

Achilleas Galdrsson

“Lady Alessia, I am not afraid of death. I won encounters against it many times, and my age attests to that. Achysia stands for us, yes; but respectfully I must point out that the current state of Achysia, as a State and as an idea, it isn’t the most honoured. We fought at their side once, be it for agreement or for a pact, and it cost us a lot. We still haven’t fully recovered, which is why I beg you to understand that right now, what you ask of me is a difficult task to take upon me and the ones in my clan.”

The sound of a gallop at a distance became clearer, as the distant image of a refined purple cloak with a silver outline could be seen, its wearer standing upright on what it seemed to be a horse… but with a horn. Shyly, one of the guards walked to the table.

“ - Achilleas, sir…
What is it?
A rider approaches, sir. It… it is riding a horse, but with a horn?
A unicorn?
Yes, sir.
… Is it black?
Sir, what?
I am asking you, is the unicorn black?
… Yes, Sir.
Its horn, silver and black?
… Sir, how do you?
The bastard did it…”

The mount came closer and closer, until it stopped somewhat near the table, with a few of the guards recognizing him, while others looked puzzled, trying to understand who the rider was. With a wave of hand coming from Achilleas, the man pulled himself a chair, pouring water inside a goblet and savouring it before making his presentation.

“Pardon my delay, Lady Alessia and.. Achysian admiral. I am General Éric de Villegaignon, of the Galdrssons. Hope I didn’t miss any vital points of this discussion.”

The Last Admiral

A unicorn? Duivenians? Here? Before their guest arrives those thoughts are what goes through the Last Admiral’s mind and before his thoughts can go further a man arrives and introduces himself after taking his seat at the table.

Out of politeness the Last Admiral inclines his head ever so slightly and speaks in a neutral tone. “Lord Admiral Mavrakis, of the Achysian Navy, although most people, friend or foe, normally refer to me as ‘The Last Admiral’ these days. And no, you did not miss much, we were discussing possible ways of dealing with the Calarian armada.” The Last Admiral returns his attention to the illusions he conjured on the table. “Lady Alessia had proposed either gathering our forces into one floatilla and intercepting the Calarians or finding out where the Calarians are assembling and attack it. I proposed instead that Kartarans try to lure them in or place themselves in the path of the Calarians and have my fleet attack their flank, using either natural weather or magic to keep ourselves hidden until I can get in position to strike. Achilleas, I hate to say it, correctly pointed out that the Calarians would come down harder on Kartara if the entire Achysian Navy suddenly showed up for this. We are not exactly the most popular people in the world.”

The illusions on the table change to having it just be the Achysian Navy and the Calarians. “In line with Achilleas’ point, if I had to propose an alteration that might work, albeit one more dangerous in a sense, it would be that I have my fleet attempt to raid them several times in advance, attack what weak points I can find to either draw ships away or weaken them before the rest of you give battle. The Calarians and Anselmians like to dismiss me and my sailors as nothing but a pack of pirates so acting like raiders unassociated with Kartara might work and might allow us to pass off my fleet’s arrival to a Calarian-Kartarian battle as a coincidence, another raid after a long string of them. Though it is a long shot seeing as the Calarians have absolutely nothing to lose with declaring I knowingly helped you, they might do it even if I offer no help whatsoever and you still win if I may be honest.”

The Last Admiral shrugs and leans back in his chair. “I am not a political man but if you win this, regardless of my fleet’s involvement, I have no doubt the Calarians would want to escalate things and will find an excuse to do so.”

Warmage Alessia Hightide

“Greetings, General de Villegaignon,” Lady Alessia said with a smile. “So it is true what they say, that the Kartaran cause is so just, and the Calarians so vile, that it attracts even the most unlikely of people as allies.” Then she turned to Achilleas Galdrsson, “Forgive me for asking such a difficult matter from you, and it is my hope that the Admiral’s suggestion would at least lighten the risk we are taking on ourselves, if only a little.”

She then looked at the black unicorn and its lustrous mane and said, “I’ve seen very few of these steeds before, and certainly not one as well-cared for as this one - Surely it must be blessed to have such an accomplished rider.”

He really is a handsome man, is he? her own mind whispered to her. But he seems the sort promised to another, like he has someone he loves already...

Éric de Villegaignon

“My story with Kartara is a… difficult and particular one, Lady Alessia. I make no secret that I am not a local, yet the circumstances that forged this particular alliance might be better as secrets. And while I do feel honoured by the compliments, I am no accomplished rider, for I am merely a knight, even if I ride such an uncommon creature like Audace around these parts.”

He stared at the magical models, trying to create a solution. Achyisian supports was much needed at this point, yet he knew better than anyone how far the bad reputation of the Achysians went, specially with Illania and Augustine’s appearance on the mainland.

“Admiral, I believe that we may take one step further in your raiding plan. Many Achysian ships were salvaged or repaired after the war and used by… less honourable parties than the ones present here. With Lady Alessia’s mages and some of Achilleas’ men, we could create faux pirates, under many sails and different uniforms. Therefore an attack on the Calarians could pass just as a looting dispute, given their advance on the island created a very dangerous zone for piracy, since there’s no definitive owner in those areas.

Any thoughts on the matter?”

Warmage Alessia Hightide

“I approve - I see no flaws in that plan,” Alessia hoped that was actually the case and her mind was not clouded by childish infatuation.

The Last Admiral

“Interesting thought, General.” The Last Admiral mutters in thought as he stares at the ships he created, behind his mask his mouth twists into a frown at being reminded of what has been done to the navy his ancestors have served in since the day they were freed. “It could work, yes, and it could possibly cause the Calarians to focus more on securing shipping and pursuing said ‘pirates’ which will introduce delays. My attitude about certain things is relatively well known so pretending to be fighting any such ‘pirates’ is not impossible, wouldn’t be the first time I have done it in the three years I have been at sea.”

“Depending on the temperament of the Calarian Admiralty and how much damage we can do, presuming our success of course, I would guess that they will delay any further advance to Kartara until they can muster more ships and supplies, likely including a preceding effort to root out pirates and secure their route here. They will return here and in greater numbers but time will be bought and sometimes that is all we need. But that is a worry for another day, if you can provide the necessary resources and men I will have no objections.”

Achilleas Galdrsson

“I believe that can be arranged, Admiral. I will gather the artists and the soldiers and work a few contacts to get different outfits, since this… peculiar idea that came from Éric’s head will be put to good use, it seems. You are welcome to stay at the city, as a display of courtesy and friendship, given that we are now officially allies. A feast will be offered tonight, and you and the troops that accompany you are invited to it as well. May we rest and eat before the battle approaches us definitively.”

Lady Alessia Hightide

“Thank you, and perfect,” Lady Alessia couldn’t help but look at Eric once more, finding his intelligence and charisma to be intoxicating, if one was allowed to use such a word.
Nothing to see here, move along.

Fereni
Envoy

Founded: Aug 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Fereni » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:34 am

It was a dismal place, Morizia; there was no question of that. One didn't have to be familiar with the area to know that, as merely passing through would provide more than enough evidence. With heavy unrest in multiple places, mercenaries and slavers roaming freely, and a boy-king more concerned with protecting himself than his people, it was a deeply unpleasant place even to visit, much less to live. Yet there she was, her travels having brought her to such a miserable locale, and although she was saddened at the sight, she kept her face neutral. She wasn't in Morizia to bring further despair. Even the children here--no, especially the children here--deserved some hopeful stories to try and break up the suffering.

"Miss Faye!" a child's voice called, and she turned, already smiling as a young girl ran up to her and clutched at her skirts excitedly. "Miss Faye, did you bring a story?" It was certainly heartening to see that her works had already reached this place, and the eager expression on the child's face even more so. At the shout, more children poked their heads outdoors curiously, elves and humans alike, and she could see their faces lighting up as they, too, ran to her and clamored for a story. She held her hand up, and they stilled, waiting in excited silence as she took out a piece of paper and began to write.

In fact, I was hoping to hear some opinions on my latest work. It's about a fairy king who takes an interest in humans, and tries to blend into human society. Why don't we go inside, and then one of you can read it?

The children practically trampled each other trying to get indoors quickly, and she followed, smiling. As they gathered around, listening with rapt attention, the girl who had originally approached her took the papers from her hands and began to read them aloud, clearly enjoying herself. She was glad that she could give them at least a brief respite... children deserved to live peacefully, and not have to fear violence or pain. She couldn't fix their broken country, but she could give them something to take their minds off of it, at least for a little while. That was certainly better than nothing.
i'm keeping the flag until i find something better

Saleon wrote:oh, gosh, you guys are insane.
Spindle wrote:I swear, you two are pretty much the font of all evil in this world...
Spindle wrote:Aaaaaand, the font of all sass.
Spindle wrote:We love you and all, but I'm fairly certain you are also the literal devil.
Kingdom of Irhk wrote:Even with another name, you having fun is still worrisome.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:58 am

Most Sublime Republics of Calaria
Ⴑⴓⴁⴊⴈⴑⴑⴈⴋⴄ Ⴐⴄⴔⴓⴁⴁⴊⴈⴙⴄ ⴃⴈ Ⴉⴀⴊⴀⴐⴀ
Sublimissime Repubbliche di Calaria

Respublica superiorem non recognoscens

NEL NOME DEI PIU 'SUBLIMI ARCONI DELLA CALARIA
IN THE NAME OF THE MOST SUBLIME ARCHONS OF CALARIA

AI POPOLI DI CARTARA
TO THE PEOPLES OF KARTARA

We, the Most Exalted Archons and Lords of the Most Sublime Republics of Calaria, through His Eminent Highness, Ercole Castaldi, Duke of Pekastro, Her Highness, Ornella Sorokas, Captain General of the Realm of the Sea, and His Excellency, Orsino Mosca, Sage of the Seas, wish to transmit the following to the peoples and leaders of the realms of Kartara that lie outside of our domains.

Alessia Hightide, corrupted mage of Achysia, evil sorceress, traitor towards all mortal races, war criminal and monster, has hereby been declared an enemy of the Most Sublime Republic and condemned to damnation, for her vile and cowardly attacks using the darkest of magical arts, against the city of Pekastro and other Calarian towns on the Night of the Bloody Moons. Countless innocent civilians, Calarians and Kartarans alike, have been drowned or have died in order brutal ways due to her disgusting magic, women, children, and men alike. A crime such as this has not been performed in the Silver Realms since the darkest days of the War of the Deceitful Flame, and show with certainty that Alessia remains as much of a corrupted Achysian mage as she has always been, turned insane by a lust for darkness and blood.

As such, we, Most Exalted Archons and Lords of the Most Sublime Republics of Calaria, declare that Alessia Hightide and all those who support her will be hunted to death until the deaths of all those innocents will be avenged, and they will be thrown, living or dead, inside the Crystal Chasm, to fall forever through it until the last end of days. But we do not wish to shed the blood of the blameless. Our forces will show restraint, and we grant the people of Kartara three weeks, until the day of the Holy Augur Megara the Enlighter, to willingly and peacefully surrender Alessia and the mages which helped her.

As soon as the day of the First of the Augurs ends, our forces shall begin to hunt her throughout the islands.

May the Sixteen and the Exitheon grant you the wisdom to choose right.
Last edited by Tracian Empire on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:06 am

Anselm
Merckburger Fen
Village

Adelheid hid her disappointment masterfully, smiling as Mireille solved her riddle. Oh well, it was not like she was playing to win but rather to buy time and distract the obviously dangerous girl. Still it was a dangerous game, Mireille's patience and mood seemingly able to change on a dime. Daniel and Leon had not made it any better with their story and magic tricks before but atleast this riddle had changed her mood to the better again. Now here was hoping that Pynus would be quick about whatever she had planned.

"That was the correct answer young lady. It seems you get to pass the stone dragon into the cultist fortress. Now then, it shall be your turn to ask a riddle of us. Or your maid over there if none come to mind."

Despite the cheery attitude with which she asked Mireille to pose a riddle, Adelheid was dying of nervousity inside. The first round went to Mireille already and who knew, perhaps she would ask an incredibly difficult riddle. It had been a long time since she had last taken to more entertaining exercises for her mind like the solving of riddles rather than the wording of laws or the movements of the Unsterbs. Hopefully the Archbishop of Chastity could back her up in case she failed.

Luckily she didn't have to worry about that any further as Pynus appeared to have managed to create a distraction...and what a distraction it was, Adelheid's chin falling so quickly, it'd have hit the ground if her cheeks were more elastic. A waterspout, not exactly uncommon in Anselm itself but certainly a non thing around these specific parts of the country. It was also notably bigger and more dangerous than any distraction she had expected Pynus to create.

Behind her she could hear Yakr asking what it was that they were saying, the Archbishop of Chastity with them immediately remarking that it was nothing good and demanding they leave immediately, she herself covering their back. It took another half second for Adelheid to properly process the things that were happening before she grabbed both Daniel and Leon by their shoulders and shoved them forward, towards the village entrance and more specifically one of the buildings there, all while shouting to Yakr and Lucia:

"That's a water spout, Yakr, and you normally see them around the coast. Now, your excellency, as unworthy as I am of your presence and aid, I cannot take it upon my conscience to put you into any unnecessary danger so please, Archbishop of Castitas, follow me as we seek some shelter."

The idea was simple, to get both away from the rapidly approaching waterspout as well as into a piece of some solid cover. She desperately hoped that the house also had some sort of basement but this was the countryside...they rarely had this kind of luxury.

The house she was heading towards was...dilapidated though atleast not in too bad of a state, featuring a thatched roof, broken windows and wooden walls. A stone chimney penetrated the roof though there was no smoke. The door too was lying on the floor, having been broken down at some point in time.

The inside didn't look much better. The windows and door shed enough light to illuminate the scene inside, which consisted primarily of two beds, one large, one small, the blankets stinking and wet. A table with some benches was in the center of the room, rotting food left on it, the residents clearly having left in some form of hurry. And then lastly there was a large stone oven, undoubtedly connected to the chimney that was going through the roof above them.

Meanwhile Adele, still standing on the roof of the large, central building, stared at the waterspout, mouth wide agape. Much like Yakr, this was her first time seeing one, the young maid having spent most of her time here in the Fen, serving first Konstanze's father and later Konstanze herself. With the wind starting to tear at her clothes and soon at her too, to the point that she had to hold on to the chimney next to her, it shook her out of her stupor and made her realize in just how much danger she was. It was too late for her however as the waterspout had come dangerously close and letting go of the chimney to try and run or seek better cover would've simply ensured that the winds would've snatched her up. She was also starting to get increasingly wet, what with it being a water spout. Under normal circumstances she'd be very displeased with her good uniform getting dirty or wet out here but she was quite certain that that was the least of her worries now.

Despite all of that however, she still had her duties and so she cried out to Mireille:

"Lady Mireille, please, you must run away! Run away or get inside! This is dangerous! Lady Mireeeeeiiiiillllleeeeee.....!"

The rest of her words was quickly lost as the water spout came closer and the winds picked up, Adele up on her elevated position quickly being hit with an ever stronger pull and soon losing her grip on the chimney, flying through the air and soon after vanishing in the water spout.

Anselm
Heydekrug
Tagungskammer

One would not think it possible but there were actually people in Lonriel who liked the Anselmian Tagungskammer. This abominable, boring, corrupt, badly ventilated chamber of full of fools who liked to hear their own voice more than washealthy for them or any type of process. And Konstanze actually was one of these people, deeply inhaling the rank and oppressive air of the chamber as she made her way in, her butler in tow and two of her allies before her, making sure nobody stood in her way. Of course she saw the problems, the corruption, the political deadlock that had gripped the country...yet at the same time she saw the chances. A system where anyone could, with the right amount of ruthlessness, make it into a prestigious position, high within the government of one of Lonriel's nations. Just like she had, using the corpses of her rivals as stepping stones.

Speaking of rivals, Konstanze briefly strained her neck, trying to make herself bigger and see across the heads of her peers over to where the nobles sat. Her eyes found their target quickly and a satisfied smile spread across her lips as she took in the sight. Of course Adelheid was here, she could hardly not be here given the minor crisis that had gripped especcially the people on her side of the chamber. She certainly also looked like she had suffered through a crisis of her own, with dark rings around her eyes. Good, it meant she was fully aware of what was most likely going to happen, yet was powerless to stop it.

It took a while untill the meeting was started, many members of the Tagungskammer still coming from all over the city or trying to find their seats, chatting with their allies, exchanging news and informations and making their usual petty little deals. Not Konstanze however, who took a seat at the very front, knowingly kept open for her by her allies. She was relaxed, calm on the outside but on the inside anxiety and excitement were eating away at her composure like acid. It didn't take long untill she needed to drop one of her hands to her side, the hand shaking uncontrollably.

She couldn't wait to get started. Years of her planning had suddenly made an incredibly lucky jump forward due to the meddling of some foreigner. She could barely hold herself back from screaming at the Tagungskammer to finally give her her turn to speak. But all in good time. She had applied for her speech and greased all the right bureaucratic and political wheels to move herself far forward in the schedule as possible. Still however, the nagging impatience continued and in an effort to somehow distract herself, she constantly threw glances at Adelheid on the opposite end of the chamber. She knew that Adelheid noticed, watching the noble lean back with a rather unaristocratic groan as well as rubbing her eyes. Oh, she knew for sure what was coming.

When it was finally her turn to speak before the assembled Tagungskammer, Adelheid almost tripped over her own legs in her hurry to get off her seat, being saved from faceplanting rather ungraciously by her ever present butler, Schröck Blech. She thanked him quickly before putting her clothes back in order, taking a deep breath to calm herself and then went out in front of the assembled delegates.

"Gentlemen, my fellow delegates of the Tagungskammer, we gather here today for a most terrible of reasons. A disruptions of law and order, of the way things should be, of the flow of resources and coin. A heinous attack on our very way of life! A slave revolt has broken loose in our southern members, throwing away their shackles, refusing to work the fields and mines and logging camps we require them to work. And like it always is, when the chattel grows bold and does not fear the pain of the whip any longer, it grows rowdy, destructive, chaotic. As we speak, estates and fields burn, great wealth goes up in smoke, our fellow citizens are lynched by these slaves who have degenerated to their most animalistic tendencies.

Or so it would seem..."

Making a pause, both for dramatic effect as well as to catch her breath, Konstanze surveyed her audience. She had described the slave rebellion as most of her fellows saw it, feeding their anger over it or their fear of it. Now it was time to weaponize that fear and anger.

"For I have gathered undeniable proof that these slaves are not as stupid as they might seem, the uprising no mere chaotic mob spawned over some minor inconvenience and ballooning out of control. No, I have evidence that this was planned, a planned attack on our livelihood, on the lives and families of our nobility, a planned and guided attack, aimed at specific members of this high council...and all of it to fund the agendas of foreigners!"

The audience immediately started roaring, drowning out anything Konstanze could have said so she remained silently instead, letting accusations and demands fly over her head untill a semblance of order had been restored.

"As you all well know, the Apostolic Principality of Arghyo, a most esteemed member of this League and this Council, has always been rather...distanced from the League and its politics, a fact I am sure some here begrudged but did not criticize so long as it did not think itself entitled of exercising its rights as a member of the League, pursuing its policy of neutrality. We tolerated their...special wishes...for centuries.

However, it seems that the Principality has decided to abandon this stance, for employees of mine have been able to observe and partially even secure weapon shipments from Arghyo to monasteries and other houses of worship in the southern League! Even worse, I have found documentation regarding the appointment of a new vassal to a town in the southern League, a vassal from Arghyo itself!"

This time the roar rage and indignation was directed at her. The audacity to just pin blame on another member of the League, even if they were rather distanced and in a rather strange political situation where they were both part of the League and were not, was great and would require much more convincing. Luckily Konstanze had all she needed at hand...and could play with their greed and fear if necessary.

"I can see your indignation, I can see the reasoning behind your accusations of deceit on my part. However, continue to listen as I continue to lay out my reasoning. Not only have there been weapon shipments and vassal coming from the Apostolic Principality, no, I have recently received a fairly detailed report about the which estates and lands have been struck by these roving bands of slaves. Not just that, I have also heard that these slaves appear to have been able to either evade or destroy all forces sent against them, implying a strong force of no particularly great size. It means a well trained and armed yet small force traversing our lands rather than a large mob of unruly slaves.

This is additionally supported by this slave rebellions very...selective attacks. It is unfortunate that there is no map but I am sure plenty of you will recognize the names of the fellow delegates that I will now list:

Baron Van Dyken's estates fell to the torch, Count Wenceslow's hunting palace fell victim as well, the Blightly family had to escape their estate in a coach, slaves on their heels, no stone remained standing of Baroness Marguerite's pleasure palace...and the list goes on.

Have you noticed it? Have you noticed how Lord Chester's mansion remained untouched, despite effectively standing in the way between the Blightly estate and Count Wenceslow's palace? Or have you noticed the fact that neither Countess Ignatia Sherburg's nor Baron Wederacker's lands have fallen to the slaves, despite effectively surrounding the pleasure palace?!? And these are but the few examples I have decided to name, no there are plenty more that I will, in favour of being concise, omit."

Another pause, another storm of outrage which of course came...yet this time much, much more limited and only from a limited number of delegates from the corner of the nobles. In particular, nobles or the represenatives of nobles who had just been named as having their lands spared. The rest of the Tagungskammer remained silent, gravely so, glares staring over at those screaming and shouting obscenities for these obvious allegations being made against them. This clearly had convinced everyone that they had to deal with something more controlled, more professional than a mere army of slaves. But the connection to Arghyo still had to be established.

"Now the League of course has plenty of enemies, all of which would be most capable of inserting a group of seasoned warriors into our territory to cause havoc. The Wyzkians? Sure though they would likely do so in the North. The Duivenians? Possibly. The Calarians? Absolutely? The Arghyoans? Perhaps now they would? However, it seems that this 'slave rebellion' was not started at any of our borders, as you would expect if a large armed force was to infiltrate us across our borders. No, in fact it started deep inland, like a slave rebellion would, no doubt in an attempt to obscure its true origin.

It started near a town called...Namenlosen. Nameless. Now, do my esteemed colleagues of this high council remember the new vassal I had mentioned? One of our great lieges had accepted a merchant from Arghyo to become his vassal and to rule a town for him. I am certain this high council can see what I am getting at here. And indeed, I have found documents confirming this. Namenlosen is indeed the town which was entrusted to the Arghyoan Merchant. This illustruous merchant's name is Kyle Perrin-Palaiologos."

The silence was universal now as the delegates all stared at Konstanze who cleared her throat, quickly waving for her butler who proceeded to bring her a mug with water, letting her wet her throat, grease her vocal cords. She on the other hand stared at the representatives of Arghyo, trying to see their reactions to the allegations levelled against them.

The representatives of Arghyo were sitting together, breaching the regular protocol of the Tagungskammer as they always had. They were standing out, all wearing ceremonial clothes in gray, some of them Loroi, other humans. As always for the past four decades, following the orders of their Apostle-Princess, they had come to the chamber, taken their seats and said absolutely nothing, debated nothing, voted on nothing. Arghyo took great care in selecting its representatives, so that they could show no emotions that might affect the reputation of the Apostolic Principality, so even now, with such an uproar going on in the Tagungskammer, and with so many accusations directed at Arghyo itself, drowned in the shouts and commotion of everyone else, they remained silent.

Until one of them stood up. The very act immediately drew all eyes from Konstanze to the representatives of Arghyo. Seeing a representative of Svetla stand up in the middle of the meeting could only mean one thing - that they wanted to speak. So the speaker quickly granted them the right to do so. The one to speak was a Loroi of the Moon, with long blonde hair, pinkish-red eyes, not looking any older than 20, but being one of the Harbringers of the Apostle-Princess who had fought alongside Remigil himself - Klaern Myrael, Baron of Aršovci.

"The Apostolic Princpality of Arghyo denies any connection to the merchant known as Kyle Perrin-Palaiologos. An investigation will be started by the Retainers of the Silver Rose into the matter, and if he will be declared guilty, he will be punished as such. As of now, Arghyo refuses to allow any of the League's organs to get involved in internal matters of Arghyo, as per the immediacy enjoyed by the Apostolic Principality through the Pact of the Golden Oath. Any further decisions will be taken by the Apostle-Princess herself and I am not worthy to speak in Her name."

With that, the Loroi sat back down, and said nothing else for the remainder of the meeting, leaving Konstanze to clear her throat to regain the attention of the gathered delegates and continue with her own speech:

"Now that we have witnessed this historic breach of a tradition, I am certain that with the explanations I have provided and can back up with actual evidence, this council will come to much the same conclusion as I have. It is however within this council's interest to not act rashly. Wether Arghyo itself, despite the claims of its delegates, has acted against the League or wether it was this Perrin-Palaiologos person all on his own, as the Principality claims, is not certain yet. But it still serves as a dangerous precedent and must be handled accordingly.

As a member of this council, I wish to motion for the immediate deployment of substantial mercenary forces and the conscription of local troops to back them up. Regardless of what course this council takes, crushing this rebellion is imperative for it must not be allowed to roam freely and harm members of this council any longer. I also motion for an official missive to be sent to Arghyo, requesting that they reassure this council of their loyalty to the League over our enemies like Calaria as well as demanding that this Perrin-Palaiologos individual be arrested and turned over to the authorities of the League as soon as possible. The Principality should also be convinced of cooperating with the League in order to bring down this rebellion, created by one of its citizens no less, and allow the landing and passage of Anselmian troops in or near its borders as well as close its own borders to all unauthorized travellers.

Konstanze knew that just the sheer mention of Calaria as well as Arghyo swaying to their side would force even the most complacent among the delegates into action. The tensions between their nations were well known and commonly shared among many of the delegates. The thought of Arghyo siding with the Most Sublime Republics was nightmarish to many of the delegates, especcially as most could already see it as a mere stepping stone before a proper Calarian invasion. If Arghyo sided with them, the Calarians were so much closer with plenty of important roads and passes in their hands. Retaining Arghyo was an absolute priority.

However, the true prize of this day was coming now as Konstanze slowly sauntered over towards where Adelheid sat, the noble giving her an oddly calm look as she leaned on the railing between them and said:

"As a member of this council, I also wish to motion that the the entire Ehr faction be charged with high treason against the League of Anselm and this very council. The evidence points to a very likely collaboration at the bare minimum between these rebels and members of the Ehr faction to advance their own political agenda and at worst these members have conspired with foreigners to cause damage to the League to the advantage of a foreign power. Wether to advance their own political agenda or to prepare Anselm for an invasion and ensure their own positions and wealth under whatever new rulers they envisioned is however insignificant as they have committed treason, one way or another."

Immediately the nobles around Adelheid rose up in protest, shouting and screaming once again as they had done before. However, Adelheid remained calm in her seat before beginning to...clap? The action as well as her entire posture was so unfitting to the entire situation, the nobles around her quickly quieted down, staring at her like she had gone mad or been possessed by some fell spirit. Some of them clearly tried to gain some distance while others sat down again, curious what would happen. Curiosity was probably the most commonly felt emotion in the entire room, plastered on every face, even on Konstanze's as she frowned at Adelheid who rose up from her seat and declared dryly:

"The Ehr faction as a whole is innocent. However, as their leader, I have been informed about the plan of a slave rebellion before its start from a rather...unexpected source. Said source had not proven itself to be the most...reliable of sources so I thought the information to be the fantasies of a young child or perhaps the misinterpretation of something by a young child. I take full responsibility for not taking action then to stop this unfortunate series of events or informing my peers but request that the charge be changed to one of negligence rather than high treason.

Thank you."

When she sat down again, silence hung over the council. Disbelief at how openly guilt had just been admitted stood written on the faces of everyone present. It was not common in Anselm where only the mad would freely ever admit any guilt at all if it would turn out to be to their disadvantage to do so. Yet here went Adelheid, concentrating all blame solely on herself and saving the other members of her faction from the hatred of the other delegates as well as any future persecution. And to be honest, despite likely still getting what she wanted, it made Konstanze internally fume. This wasn't what had been supposed to happen! Adelheid had been supposed to writhe and wriggle in desperate attempts to escape her fate, not just accept it and save her comrades while at it!

The sound of a hammer on wood snapped everyone out of the odd state they were in as the presiding member of the Tagungskammer cleared his throat and said:

"I believe the session should be adjourned to give everyone the opportunity to clear their mind so we can proceed to the votes concerning the esteemed member Konstanze Unsterb's motions with all the clarity and maturity they require. Untill then the esteemed member Adelheid von Strahlgrund will be taken into investigative custody, pending the formulation of all charges levelled against her and her trial.

Meeting adjourned."

Two guards, bearing the armours and colours of Anselm's elite soldiers came up behind Adelheid and put their heavy hands on her shoulders. She rose voluntarily and moved to follow them, though before leaving she gave Konstanze a sad smile and said:

"Congratulations, you have won. Excellent speech too."
Last edited by Remnants of Exilvania on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:17 pm

Ennestein, Anselm
Asche

It was late by the time Asche reached the town of Ennestein. The town was mostly quiet as some shops closed and locals scampered inside. She should be close to hunting down Kaesar if the note is correct and he hasn't left. At this point however, she is tired and hungry and she'll need to get a late dinner and some sleep before she sets out to hunt down Kaesar. She entered a still open tavern to find the building mostly empty barring a few patrons eating and drinking, a woman checking up on the patrons, and a man stewing some things in a pot behind the counter. The aroma of braised meat hits her noise and her mouth started to water. The woman noticed Asche and walked up to her with a friendly smile.

"Welcome to this tavern, where would you like to be seated?" the woman asked.

"Anywhere is fine, does this place have lodging?" Asche asked. The woman nodded.

"We do have rooms which you stay in for about 50 copper coins a night," the woman answered as she lead Asche to a table. "This town is relatively quiet right now so except on certain days, we don't get much travelers around here."

"Thank you, one night would be plenty of rest for me," Asche said as she took a seat. "What is being served right now?" She asked.

"We are serving braised beef stew with some rye bread slices," the woman said. "We have beer or tea depending on your preferences."

"Beef stew sounds delicious and I'll do tea with sugar and milk," Asche responded. She received her order a few minutes later and enjoyed her late dinner. After mopping up the last of the sauce with the remaining bit of bread, she relaxed for a while until the woman picked up her plates.

"Looks like you enjoyed your meal," the woman said with a smile.

"That was the best braised beef stew I ever had," Asche replied. "Where do I pay for both the meal and for a one night rest?" she asked.

"Just at the front," the woman said. "I'll hand you a key to an available room."

After the meal and the room was paid for, Asche walked up the stairs and unlocked the door to her temporary room. The inside was pretty barebone, just a bed, a mirror, and a night stand. Well, boarding was inexpensive so she wasn't expecting anything in a room provided by a tavern in a small town. It will do for tonight.

She yawned and climbed on the bed. Early in the morning, she is going to search the surrounding area, find Kaesar, and return with his head to Wyzkia. She hopes Stefen and the business is doing well. Her eyes closed and she drifted to sleep.
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:06 pm

Grand Duchy of Wyzkia
Ⰳⱃⰵⰴⰸⰹ Ⰴⱆⰽⰰⱅ Ⱎⱏⰹⰸⰽⰹⱁⱃ
Grędzi Dukat Wyzkor

Vis e fidelitate efflorescit

Opaliński Kościół

"I... I don't know..", Rafal answered in a low voice. "All that I've learned when I was little said that.. that it is wrong. Having an affair, breaking the holy vows of marriage.. but.. but... nothing, in those old stories and lessons, ever.. ever mentioned someone like your father. That.. that bastard does not deserve to be a noble, a husband, or a father. He's the one who dishonored the oaths of marriage first. So in that case.. I think.. I think it wasn't wrong. It couldn't have been wrong Love and happiness should be more important than such things, especially when she had to live with such a husband at home. And... I don't think your mind is twisted. It's.. it's only normal for a daughter to have wished for the happiness of her mother. All members of a family should wish nothing more than for the others to be happy..."

The red haired boy's voice trailed off a little, but he was quickly brought back to reality by Alina whimpering. For a moment, it looked as if he would take a step forward, covering the distance that separated them, and as if he would hug her, but he hesitated. No matter of what he could say or think about, at the end of the day.. he was still afraid. How couldn't he be? Seeing her suffering like that, seeing her hurt like that. And knowing all too well that something that he could say could hurt her even more. So much had changed since that day when he had met a lost girl on the fields. Or even since that day when she had saved him and he had saved her, and he had convinced her to come with him. Back then, he felt as if anything he would say or do could just help her. Like thinking that all he had to do was to escort her to the nearest town, or maybe back to her home. Or thinking that he could just help her by talking to her. But he knew the truth know. He knew all too well know that what he could say could also hurt her. Make her angry. Deepen the cracks that existed within her being, and even make her hate him. No matter what he thought, she was in the end like a porcelain doll, and he had no idea what to do, if both talking to her and not saying some things could end with her breaking. But still, despite this swirl of confusing thoughts and self-doubt going on in his head..hearing what she told him, seeing her shaking, ready to cry, and looking in the distance, as if she was talking to someone else, as if she was talking to someone else, and realizing who that someone was... realizing that she was acting with him as if she was someone like her father..it broke his heart and strengthened his resolution at the same time. He had no idea why he was feeling like this. It had gone over the level of mere pity long ago, and he couldn't fully understand all these feelings himself. But what he knew for certain, was that she was all that he cared about right now. She, and her happiness.

"Alina.. it's.. it's alright..", he tried to say, his own voice shaking a little, as he slowly took that step forward and gently took her hands into his. "I would never send you away, no matter what. I promised you that I would help you, and that I will protect you. Nothing could make me break that promise. Especially.. especially not something like this. I know.. I know that you were angry. I can't.. I can't say I fully understand how you feel, no one could, but I can try to. You really shouldn't apologize. After everything you've been through...I knew that you were feeling bad, and that you were stressed. We both.. we both made mistakes there. But it's alright. I don't feel bad because of it, and you shouldn't either."Rafal smiled, and this time, it was quite obvious that it was an honest smile. "And I didn't think at the time.. that it might make you feel pitied, that it might make you feel so horrible. I feel bad for you, I do, and I can't lie about it, but that's not.. that's not the only reason I chose to do all of this. I don't know myself either, but.. what I do know, is that you're certainly not a little broken doll. You're much more than that. Even with what happened to you, I've told you, and that is something that I firmly believe, you've been braver and stronger than many knights could have been. And beyond that, beyond what's happened to you, you are someone. You mean something. You're sweet and you're kind, you're good with flowers, you're helpful and merciful, and you've even managed to convince a god to save me. And I'm sure that there are so many more good things about you that I simply haven't managed to find out yet. "

Rafal hesitated for a moment yet again. "It's alright, Alina. You don't have to be better. I'll never send you away. And we'll both work on being better, together, starting by accepting each other's apologies. Would that.. would that be alright?"

On the road to Świątniki Górne
A camp

"Your Grace.", Rafal replied, as both he and the other two paladins bowed deeply, much more so than Kazimiera did when introducing herself. "It is an honor to have an Archbishop of the Virtues among ourselves. We were extremely worried about the reports of the Cult of Invidia having been seen in the province before the Night of the Bloody Moons, and we had asked for support from the Cult of Benevolentia, but they've apparently been having some issues, so we expected no such help. And seeing as the numbers of both our Order and of the Ducal Army are stretched thin, with the.. current situation in the capital, there was nothing more to spare. We were sent to investigate and to do whatever we can, and to report back once we knew what the situation was so that more reinforcements could be sent. We are incredibly grateful to have you here, if someone like you here, we could.. we could help a lot more people, and find out what is going on much easier. So please, your Grace, by all means, you are more than welcome to join us." As soon as the red haired boy finished speaking however, the older man looked at him in a certain way, as if to remind him something, and Rafal sighed. "And I'm sorry, your Grace, but.. if you are to join you, I must ask you to at least try to listen to our commands. We are not as arrogant as to believe that we are stronger or have more experience than an Archbishop of Virtues, but as you know, the Grand Duchy of Wyzkia does not allow the Faith of the Sixteen to do whatever it desires in our lands, as a continuation of the Pact of Petals and Thorns between the old Tharnria and the Haliarchy. It would be a.. political scandal back in the capital if rumors were to spread of an Archbishop commanding paladins. So I would ask you to at least in public try to obey us, or at the very least, refrain from giving us orders. I'm deeply sorry for this."

Just as Rafal was bowing again, the sound of something falling from the skies was heard, but the paladins didn't react with fear - instead, just with a slight level of surprise. They were after all very familiar with the sound of a gryphon descending and landing, so when another figure approached the camp, their behavior was a lot less defensive than it had been when Kazimiera had first approached them. And sure enough, the figure that approached was wearing a familiar armor, saluted them and introduced herself as a squire....but what she said caused shock and dismay.

"Paladin Maria is.. dead?", the older man replied, so disturbed that he didn't even manage to salute back. Rafal himself had managed to stand back upright and to salute with the first of his chestplate, but he hesitated, opening his mouth and then closing it again, before finally managing to say something. "What.. what happened? How did Paladin Maria die? Was she on patrol, in battle? Is the monastery alright? Was the Grand Table informed?", he quickly rushed to ask those questions, clearly just as dismayed as his comrades. The Paladins were a small order, still large enough to be a terrifying force, but much smaller than the Scriptures. Add to that the losses of the war, and the number of well known Paladins was even further reduced, and the practice of the paladins to send squires to multiple monasteries before binding them to one master meant that all three of the Paladins had met Maria. "My brother served as her squire for a while, during the war.." He added as an explanation, before quickly returning to his sense. "And you, squire Felicity, how are you? Are you alright?"

And that was not the end. The female paladin, who had been the least shocked among them, was still well prepared, so she was the first one to notice the approach of two horses and their riders. "Halt!", she shouted, quickly taking her bow and preparing one arrow as she looked at the incoming strangers. "Who goes there?"
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:46 pm

On the road to Świątniki Górne
Jean-Marc Courvoisier

As the carriage continued to the camp, Jean-Marc peered through the spyglass. As they get closer to the camp, he could see a female paladin shouting something at something and drawing her bow.

"We should probably stop and let our intentions be known before arrows started to whizz toward us," Jean-Marc said to Stefen.

"Already on it," Stefen said as he carriage started to slow down. Once the horse stopped, the two men dismounted from the carriage with their hands up in the air as they walked to the camp.

"We mean no harm," Jean-marc said. "We are investigators trying to confirm what is going on in Świątniki Górne."

"We are investigators from Rogalski and Associates," Stefen called out. "My name is Stefen Rogalski, the proprietor of the investigative agency and this bearded knight with the Duivenian accent is a colleague of mine named Jean-Marc Couroisier. We are here to investigate and to provide any medical or armed assistance to the city."
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

Dragos Bee
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:24 pm

Daniel and Leon Perrin-Palaiologos, Anselm

Once inside the ruined house, Daniel said to Leon, "While I cannot be excused for losing a game of 'Fire Escargot', you managed to ruin Pynus' impression of us twice over while also putting our lives in danger! Leon, what's come into you?"

Leon refused to answer, his ego preventing him from publicly admitting his guilt for now. But it was clear that he knew he had flubbed up, flubbed up to the point where he and Daniel now looked like a burden to this joint crew. As he waited for the waterspout to fade, he looked around him, then said, "Once the waterspout fades, we might need to go deeper into the Fen in order to avoid that girl and accomplish our mission."

Daniel was not going to be put off, "Leon, I know I made things worse by offering to be 'Lady Mirielle's' personal knight, but that was a calculated risk. Trying to pin the blame on Pynus and relying on rusty storytelling skills was not." Realizing that his brother's ego might be pricked and that the latter needed to save face, at least in front of him, Daniel continued, "That said, you did well in telling me not to attack her in the first place - We'd both be ashes if I had done so."

He looked at Adelheid and said, his voice lowering to a whisper as the waterspout's noise receded, "Milady, if worst comes to worst and the little girl survives the waterspout - She is a magical powerhouse, after all - Let me surrender to her. As her personal knight for one day, I'll be relatively safe for that length of time and you can always rescue me at the end of it." He took a deep breath, then added, "I'm serious."

Daniel and Leon Perrin-Palaiologos, Wyzkia, After the Fen Arc

A raven came to Leon, saying: Kyle here. You were right. The Company is yours.

The worst had indeed happened, Kyle was in serious risk of investigation and possibly banishment, and had decided to give the Perrin-Palaiologos Trading Company to Leon. In response, Leon wrote back on a small strip of paper: No. We stand with you. Give Cousin Roter the Company.

Then before anyone, including Daniel, can object, he sent the Raven back to Kyle. Then Leon Perrin-Palaiologos turned to Daniel, his expression twisted in self-hatred, and said, "I'm not taking my big brother's place, not after I already ruined things for him."

Daniel cocked his head and replied, "Do you really think I'd tell you to do that? Leon, Kyle should not be faulted for trying to do the right thing. Heck, I didn't even know he was using a stupid method until you told me, too late, why it'd fail." He looked at Leon clearly and firmly and continued, "I will say, though, considering the fact that you turned informer on our brother to Adelheid to try and stop the revolt early and 'save him from himself'... You probably also ruined her as she clearly didn't stop the revolt before it started."

He faced Leon down before saying, "If you're serious about helping Kyle now, if you don't want to abandon him in your arrogance and belief you know everything, drop the premature cynicism and listen to me: We're going to save him. And this time, we do it my way - The Army of the Free Soil is in a hemmed-in military position. We need gold to break them out of it. There are rumors of a 'Plague of Undeath' which requires the services of anyone willing to help. We might get in good with someone who has gold there if you get what I mean..."

The pain on Leon's face faded somewhat as he said, "Let's do it. We follow your lead, for now, Daniel. We're going to Wyzkia, endure their prejudice against teenagers who are also one step removed from mercenary-hood, and then fight whoever we need to in order to get the gold and help we need. I am not failing Kyle again."
Last edited by Dragos Bee on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my behavior, P2TM.

Fereni
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fereni » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:58 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Anselm
Merckburger Fen
Village

"I am not going to risk any of your lives," Lucia retorted, although she did follow behind the group. Still, she refused to enter the building, instead casting a barrier around it. She kept a careful eye out for Marina and Pynus, hoping to see that they were all right.

Mireille, on the other hand, wasn't worried at all. She just thought it was all great fun, up until Adele was sucked into the water spout, at which point she got mad. "Hey!" she yelled, not seeming to realize that, as a weather phenomenon, it could not hear or respond. "Give her back!" In a move that could really only be described as 'incredibly foolish,' she decided that it was a good idea to fly directly into the water.

It did not, however, take her long to realize what a foolish move that was, as the water and wind buffeted her about quite fiercely. Still, she pressed on, determined to catch sight of the unfortunate servant. Once she did, though, she grabbed Adele tightly by the arm and used all the power she could muster to fight her way out of the water spout... only to remember that she was, in fact, a child, and could not hold Adele up without the aid of the whirling water.

So it was that Mireille and her bedraggled servant managed to escape the water spout, only to immediately fall out of the sky.
Tracian Empire wrote:Grand Duchy of Wyzkia
Opaliński Kościół

Alina couldn't help but flinch as Rafal approached her, rationality briefly overwhelmed by an old, instinctive fear. But he didn't hit her, he didn't shout at her, he didn't say anything cruel. He just took her hands and reassured her--he wouldn't send her away, he would never send her away. She wouldn't have to be alone again. It was so strange, how kind he still was. She wasn't used to kind men, not at all. She was scared, because all she'd ever known was being hurt and lied to, and it had scarred her deeply. How could it not?

"Men are all like that," the other girl says, her eyes frighteningly blank. "You'll be learning that with your body soon enough." I already have, she thinks bitterly, but she knows that it is a lesson she will be taught again and again. And it won't even only be men, of course not. There's no one in this world that she can really trust, she knows that now. Unfortunately, the knowledge comes far too late to save her.

No, she didn't want to think about those memories. Not now. She was safe here, she didn't have to go back to that, not ever. There were people she could trust. Adelajda, and Rafal, she could trust them. She wasn't--she wasn't alone anymore, she didn't have to be alone anymore.

The words he said about her made her blush and turn her face away, evidently embarrassed. He'd said before that she was strong, and brave, but those were things she couldn't believe. The rest of it, though... If you say things like that to me, I... Even if she didn't really feel like that kind of person, she wanted to be. She wanted him to keep telling her those things, over and over again, until she really, truly believed them. It was so hard to feel like there was anything good left in her, not after everything she'd endured, but maybe... maybe there could be. If she really tried, then... I won't disappoint you, she thought, and without realizing it, her grip on his hands tightened. If that's who you think I am, then...

"I want that," she said quietly, and was shocked to hear how steady her voice sounded. She looked back at him, and for once, her eyes shone with something other than tears. "I want to do that with you." The ring on her finger felt cold against her skin, but it was almost comforting, nonetheless. "I think... doing that together would be wonderful. So I promise... if you'll stay with me, if you'll have me, then for as long as we're together, I'll stay by your side, and we'll work on it together. I feel like... I can be stronger, when you're here. Even though I said those things, the truth is... I know I can rely on you, if I need to. I know you'll do your best to protect me, so things seem a little bit less frightening. So I want to be with you. And if you'll accept my apologies, then of course I'll accept yours." For a moment, it felt almost like she was saying her vows already. Even though they weren't married yet, this was... a little bit of what it was supposed to be like, wasn't it? She ducked her head slightly, embarrassed again. "As long as we're together."

Spindle wrote:I swear, you two are pretty much the font of all evil in this world...
Spindle wrote:We love you and all, but I'm fairly certain you are also the literal devil.
Kingdom of Irhk wrote:Even with another name, you having fun is still worrisome.

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:25 am

Felicity

I raise an eyebrow at the new arrivals in the carriage before turning back to my fellows in the Order. I guess word hasn't made it to everyone yet, or the Grand Table is trying to prevent a panic from breaking out, certainly there is a lot going on at the moment. So I give my report as matter of factly as possible. "She died in battle, along with every other Paladin, Squire, and auxiliary at the monastery besides myself." At that news that still horrifies me I pause briefly and continue. "As for what happened Paladin Maria received word about the death of the Grand Duke early the next day and so she called all Paladins assigned to the monastery back for an emergency meeting."

She literally ran us all ragged that day with sending messages and telling the Paladins to drop literally everything and return to the monastery immediately and it was a near miracle we had managed to get everyone back before sundown.

Unfortunately, as we know, the next night was the Night of the Bloody Moons and on that night the Traitor returned and slaughtered her way through everyone at the monastery." There is no need to say who it is, all Paladins know who the Traitor is and why we do not speak her name. "Paladin Maria ordered myself and two other squires to evacuate the children at the monastery while they battled her. As I ran through the halls of the monastery I saw the Traitor battle and kill so many."

With that I rattle off a couple names of people I had seen go down, such as Paladin Agatha, fondly nicknamed 'the Mother of Paladins' because of her advanced age leading her to have had many squires and also seen to helping the orphans who went on to become Paladins themselves, or Paladins Janina and Eliza, twin women who were nicknamed 'the Twin Lances' for obvious reasons, or even Paladin Florentyn, a giant of a man who was named 'the Guardian of the Bridge' because of his feats in the war of holding off an Achysian advance, fighting on a bridge all day and all night until relief arrived to help him, all of them heroes and great Paladins who distinguished themselves in the war, all of them dead. Killed by the Traitor's blade, the courtyard filled with blood and corpses and Paladin Maria desperately leading the Paladins still standing in an effort to try and slay the Traitor.

"After removing all the children from the monastery my fellow squires, in defiance of Paladin Maria's orders, returned to the monastery to help Paladin Maria, or at least to hold the Traitor off while I got the children to a nearby village for safety." I should have went back, I should have despite the fact that I am far too weak to have been of any assistance. "A couple days later, after sending word to the Great Table and patrolling the border with the Haliarchy seeing as all Paladins assigned to our part of it were dead, I returned to the monastery with some Faith Keepers I found on our side of the border and we found nothing besides corpses, neatly laid out in the great hall and with magic keeping them from rotting. I then escorted the Faith Keepers back to the border and, when I returned to the village closest to the monastery, I learned I was summoned to the Great Table to give my report in person while a couple of Paladins were to be sent to secure the monastery along with the local militias. After giving it I was told to carry out a couple tasks and then head to Świątniki Górne to meet you three there. I had just noticed you while I was flying and took a lucky guess."

I smile sadly. "So to be perfectly honest, I haven't had much time to process everything and neither has Ignatius, Paladin Maria's gryphon. But beyond that I wasn't injured so I am still able to do what work the Order requires of me."
Last edited by Elysian Kentarchy on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Philosophy and Religion Major

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:15 am

Kazimiera Baltozyte, The Archbishop of Industria
A clearing alongside the road to Świątniki Górne
More Introductions

"Count Tylutk, there is no need to apologize." Kazimiera said, "I am well aware of the politics between Wyzkia and the Haliarchy, and the possible scandal that you are worried about. Do not fret, I have no intention of taking command in this current situation. But I will make my thoughts known, take those as advice if you wish or not."

It was then that more people started to show up. One dropping in on another gryphon, and two arriving shortly after by carriage. Kazimiera was able to tell that the one on the gryphon was associated with the Paladins of Wyzkia before she spoke, introducing herself as Squire Felicity. She also brought news of the death of another paladin by the name of Maria. While Kazimiera did not know this paladin, it was obvious from the reactions of the other paladins that she was respected at the very least.

Before Kazimiera could introduce herself to Felicity, a carriage, and two more people arrived. They introduced themselves as Stefen Rogalski and Jean-Marc Couroisier, investigators from Rogalski and Associates. She had heard about Rogalski and Associates, but nothing really beyond that they were a relatively new bounty hunting and mercenary firm based in Wyzkia.

"Squire Felicity was it?" Kazimiera said as she approached the squire after she was finished speaking, "Allow me to introduce myself, I am Kazimiera Baltozyte, the Archbishop of Industria. Please, allow me to give you my condolences for your loss."

After a moment, Kazimiera then turned to Countess Twaróg and the two people she was pointing an arrow at now, "From what I have heard, Rogalski and Associates work to help ensure the safety of the people... I believe their intentions are true."

With that said, she looked to Stefen and Jean-Marc, "Greetings. Allow me to be the first to introduce myself. I am Kazimiera Baltozyte, the Archbishop of Industria. And like you two, I am also here to help."

Yakr Rugma, the Mountain Crusher
The Merckburger Fen, Anselm
Finding Shelter

From how Adelheid was reacting to the waterspout, Yakr got the feeling that such a thing was dangerous. He followed her lead as much as possible, but when she and the rest of the group ducked into a house, Yakr was left needing to find shelter of his own or try to squeeze into the house with the rest of them. Instead of doing the later, Yakr figured it would be better if he pursued the former.

But then Lucia created her barrier, and Yakr decided it was best to stay within it. So, he walked around the corner, and crouched using the house as cover.

Pynus of the Wind
The Merckburger Fen, Anselm
Returning to the group

"It sure was." Pynus laughed alongside Marina as they ran, "I can only imagine everyone elses reaction. Especially Adelheid's. I doubt she was expecting a distraction like that. Anyways, we should probably get back to them. If they are smart, as I expect them to be, they would have taken shelter in one of the houses where we left them..."

It did not take long for them to get close enough the location of the encounter to watch as the waterspout sucked up Adele and Mireille. It was only seconds after that when Pynus jumped through a broken window of a nearby house just as a barrier was forming around the house, landing with a roll, and looking at the group hiding in the house.

"How was that for a distraction? Distracting enough for you?"

Az’goxaak, the Forgotten Prince
Some Town in Morizia
Meeting a story teller

Morizia, a land at the edge of the realms of men. A land of unrest and unlawfulness. A land that perhaps a normal Prince of the Hells could use to further their own goals. However, Az did not see opportunity in this land, no, Az saw the suffering of the people both present and in the future. And that was why she had come. For once, Az did not visit a place to learn about it, no, Az in Morizia on business.

Before arriving in this town, whatever its name was, Az had already had a number of encounters on the road. Most where not pleasant, but they were handled. However, her next encounter in this land would hopefully not be like those previous encounters. As Az walked the streets of the town, she overheard a certain thing. The sound of joyful children caught her attention, and Az watched as they flocked to a woman who spoke no words.

Something about this caught Az's attention more than it probably should have, and without a word, Az watched the interaction. She watched as the silent woman and the children went into a building, and Az decided to listen in. Standing by a window to the building, Az listened as a story was told. While it was obviously a children's story, it was still interesting to Az. Through the window, Az also saw the smiles on the children and the smile of the woman.

This scene of joy in a land such as Morizia... it brought a smile to Az's face as well.
Last edited by Faal Lot Himdah on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian
Charlia wrote:Faal Lot Himdah - A wizard. Possibly evil. Seen associating with Charlia, who baas at him a lot when he doesn't feed her enough. #BlameVoid

Kuhlfros wrote:Fall Lot Himdah=Alakazam (May or May not have to do with Merlin)

Ceystile
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ceystile » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:17 am

Elysian Kentarchy wrote:Sable

I shake my head apologetically and finally manage to look up from the ground. "While it is now a moot point I must apologize Archbishop Cecily, I do not know where in the world Lady Saeria went. Even if I did though it is unlikely we would be catch up with her, with how fast Lady Saeria can move if she pushes herself..." I tilt my head think it over for a moment, "to be blunt if she went without sleep she could be anywhere between here and Xerena depending on how hard she pushes herself. She left us here explicitly because we would slow her down when she unleashes her full magic for travel. Though I would not worry too much about their odds, my master is powerful and, according to her, Prince Ekatiz is the most powerful of the surviving Champions of Light so together I have little doubt about their victory."

I hate being apart from her, I know I will become a priestess myself in a couple years but setting out on my own someday still terrifies me.

I dismiss that negative thought from my mind and tilt my head towards the red haired boy in acknowledgement. "Your friend would be correct, based off of our preliminary work the Archbishops are not involved and it is probably underlings. I would not be surprised if it is the usual roving cultists kidnapping people, Luxuria seems to have been ramping that up lately despite our efforts. Though I am unsure... I'm not nearly the huntress that my master is but something feels off. Regardless, unless you have any questions for me I suggest we make for the border with Calaria, our initial reports suggest there has been cultist activity in the area and that is the best place to start with finding them. If you do have any questions I am of course at your disposal." I pause and remember what my master said to me and add, "also, upon her return, Lady Saeria will of course wish to speak with you on the matter of your sister Archbishop Cecily."

"Okay, thank you." Cecily nodded, listening to Sable explain about Saeria's absence and planning what their next move would be. She turned to her friends and flashed Zed another apologetic smile before straightening up. "Very well, we will make for the border immediately...do you think we have enough preparations or should we double-check? I mean, better safe than sorry, right?" She then turned back to Sable. "Sable, can you be so good as to give me all the current information you have about the Cult's most recent activities? We need to know what we need to watch out for."

Dragos Bee
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 am

Daniel and Leon Perrin-Palaiologos, Anselm

Daniel acted instinctively, raising his right hand towards the falling Mirielle and to a lesser extent, Adele, and shouting, "Wind!", causing miniature tornadoes to appear underneath Mirielle and Adele, slowing down their fall instead of breaking it.

"What are you doing, Daniel?!" Leon said as he whirled towards his brother, already knowing the answer: Daniel was not so cold-hearted as to let a nine-year old girl die, nor the person helping take care of her. Then as he looked back at the falling Mirelle and her maid, the youth shouted, "Shields, Shields, Shields, Shields!"

Two pairs of shields appeared underneath Mirielle and Adele, and when their rears hit them, they bounced down to another pair of shields, then another, then another, until they landed safely on the ground. Then Leon said, "Here is hoping they don't find us somehow, Daniel, because quite frankly, saving the lives of very powerful enemies without a way to turn them into friends is extremely stupid. Not that I'm one to talk, but we should have let them -"

He saw Daniel glare at him, raising his fist. He took that as the signal to stay quiet.
Last edited by Dragos Bee on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my behavior, P2TM.

Fereni
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fereni » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 am

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:
Some Town in Morizia
Meeting a story teller

Faye was listening contentedly to the way the young girl read out her story, and greatly enjoyed the expressions on the faces of the other children as she did so. As she listened, she took out another piece of paper and began to sketch the scene, wanting to capture it in her mind. For that reason, she looked around the room, and then spotted something rather interesting outside one of the windows--or rather, someone. A young woman stood outside, looking in, and clearly listening to the story herself. Why hasn't she come inside? Faye wondered. Maybe she's embarrassed to be listening to a children's story. She waited until their eyes met, and then smiled. Although it was a slightly crooked smile, and although her rather sharp features tended to make all her expressions look slightly mocking, the genuine sparkle in her eyes made it clear that she had nothing but good will. Indeed, from a closer look, the laugh lines around her eyes said that she was very accustomed to smiling. Come in, she beckoned.

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 am

Some Town in Morizia
Meeting a story teller

When their eyes met, Az's first reaction was to leave, until Faye smiled. It had been a while since Az had seen a smile like that directed towards themselves. A welcoming smile. Not a smile arising as a reaction to joy and laughter, but a smile that acts on its own. After a moment of standing there, watching Faye in through the window, Az turned and walked away. Faye was beckoning Az in with that smile, and Az was not going to ignore it. Not a moment after leaving the window, Az entered the building.

"Sorry. Please continue." Az said to the children as they stood there, waiting for the children to finish their story.
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian
Charlia wrote:Faal Lot Himdah - A wizard. Possibly evil. Seen associating with Charlia, who baas at him a lot when he doesn't feed her enough. #BlameVoid

Fereni
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fereni » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:14 am

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:
Some Town in Morizia
Meeting a story teller

Hello, Faye signed. Welcome. For a moment I thought you weren't going to come in. Most people your age either don't enjoy my stories, or don't want to admit they do.

As the story was finished, she turned back to the children, and smiled again, beginning to write. Did you enjoy it? She held up the piece of paper, and a resounding chorus to the affirmative served as her response. I'm glad to hear that.

"Miss Faye, can we have a picture?" a young boy asked, tugging on her skirt, and she presented the image she'd been drawing, signed with a flourishing script. The children gathered around to look at it, and she turned back to Az. Might I know your name?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:21 am

Kingdom of Morizia
Ⴐⴄⴈⴌⴍ ⴃⴄ Ⴋⴍⴐⴈⴆⴈⴀ
Ⱃⰵⰹⱀⱁ ⰴⰵ Ⰿⱁⱃⰹⰸⰹⰰ
Reino de Morizia

Sanguinis pretium sanguis

"Keep them.. away.."

A pained voice was heard in the throne room. Four people, two men and two women, had entered the large hall and were standing right in front of the door, held back by guards. The foreigners were mercenaries, that much was obvious, Anselmian from the black clothes and armor of two of them, and Calarian, from the brightly colored and decorated attire of the others. They were surrounded by guards wearing armors of gold and crimson cloaks, in the manner of the Custodians of the Blood Oath, the royal guards of Morizia. They were armed with long, graceful, and lavishly engraved polearms of gold and silver, with curved blades at both ends of the poles, in stark contrast to the mercenaries who were unarmed, their sheathes empty, having clearly been disarmed before being allowed an audience. And while the mercenaries were clearly human, quite a large part of the guards was made up by Loroi of the Sun,with black or dark brown skin, lightly colored hair and various eye colors. Few of the guards were what might be described as pure humans, as the others all had differing amounts of Loroi ancestry visible in their appearance. The servants and nobles loitering around the hall itself also showed a similar heritage in the way they looked like.

"Thank you for allowing us to come here, your Highness.", one of the mercenaries said loudly, bowing a little, being followed by the others. Normally there would have been nothing wrong with such a salute, but the tone in which it was said seemed almost.. mocking. So several of the nobles in court slightly turned their heads around to look towards the throne and to see the reaction they expected. The throne itself was quite impressive, covered in pure gold and decorated with rubies, and it was certainly in a better shape than the rest of the throne hall. On the walls, here and there, damaged frescoes showing heroic scenes from the past clearly indicated that the entire place was in need of repair. And yet there was a feeling of power in the air, but it didn't seem to emanate from whoever was sitting on the throne, but from next to it, where on a golden table they could see a chalice. It was.. simple, so much so that it could be almost be considered a normal drinking cup, if not for its larger size, which requires two hands to hold, and for the fact that upon a closer look, it was not made from colored class, but it had been cut from a single large blood-red ruby. As per the legend, it had to be filled with blood, but that was difficult to see from where the others were, but of course, only the foreigners might have looked in that direction - everyone else looked at the King.

On the throne there was a young boy, a half-Loroi by the looks of it, a little bit older than the other boy-king of the Silver Realms, but still far too young to bear the brunt of leadership. He was half-Loroi at the very least, with dark brown skin and slightly pointed ears. His hair was somewhere between silver and blonde in terms of color, and it was long and braided into a ponytail, held in place by a golden hair tie with a ruby in it. Continuing the theme, a golden crown was sitting on top of his head, but it was rather simple compared to the intricate details of the crowns of other realms, and it was a simple radiate crown, with a single ruby on the central golden band in the front, but several long golden pendilia were attached to it, dangling around his head. The boy's eyes seemed to alternate between pure gold and a light yellow depending on the light, and he was dressed according to the best Morizian customs. He was wearing a long white tunic, a rigid golden sakkos, with its large and puffed sleeves, with small enameled plaques sewn into it, girded with a belt decorated with precious stone. Embroidered crimson shoes completed the attire, but the most visible part of it was the heavily jewelled loros. It was like a long strip of cloth, dropping down straight in front to below the waist, with a portion behind pulled round to the front, the part that was supposed to hang gracefully over the left arm of the monarch.

But despite such a graceful presence, it was quite obvious that the King wasn't feeling right. He was tense, and rigid, his hands tightly gripping the armrests of his throne, and pure white bandages were covering his fingers and knuckles. And his eyes.. they were darting from place to place, looking back and forth at the newcomers and at his guards. "It's alright..", was the only answer he could give, his voice strained and low in tone. "We have been making great progress in hunting for the rebels. We think that we are approaching one of their final hideouts, but it might take a while until we can properly trap them there. Your local subjects haven't been.. very cooperative.", the mercenary continued, a small smirk appearing on his face. The boy took a few deep breaths, as the news clearly angered him. "Find them.. find them no matter what..", he replied, not even the anger managing to bring life into his tired voice. At a closer observation, it could be seen that the king hadn't slept in quite some time, dark circles not hidden well enough under his eyes. "And of course, your Highness, we must also discuss the matter of our.. payment.."

The king quite visibly shivered when he heard that, and yet he was certainly doing his best to remain calm. "How.. how dare you...", he told him, his voice growing a little colder than before, "To talk about payment.. when you have yet to.. deliver anything.." The mercenary smiled apologetically and bowed again. "You must know your Highness, that neither my men, nor the men of the Republic are used to fighting in quite such conditions. For us its too hot, for them it's too humid, and the men are unhappy." As if to illustrate it, the man unbuttoned his tunic, revealing the armor beneath, but also.. the sheathe of a dagger, which had been hidden under the clothes, and which was still very clearly holding its weapon. The king's eyes widened in alarm, as he simply looked as if he was about to shrink away, pushing back against the throne as if he wanted to disappear right through it. "He's.. he's armed.. kill him. Kill then!", the boy screamed out in fear, his voice sounding alive for the first time, and the Custonians reacted quickly. A few heartbeats later, before the mercenaries were even able to react or to scream, their heads were cut off cleanly, blood gushing into the air., as blood stained the parchment that the mercenary had tried to take out.

Breathing heavily, and gasping for air, the boy grabbed the chalice from the table and held it closely to his chest, as his eyes darted around, not focused on anything in particular.

And once again, someone died in Morizia.

League of Anselm
Ⰵⰹⰴⰳⰵⱀⱁⱄⱄⰵⱀⱄⱌⱍⰰⱇⱅ ⰲⱁⱀ Ⰰⱀⱄⰵⰾⰿ
Eidgenossenschaft von Anselm

Liberare necesse est, vivere non necesse

Somewhere in southern Anselm

Neither the mercenaries nor the slaves initially noticed the appearance of the silver-eyed man, as his already silent moves were drowned by the shouts of men and women preparing for battle. And when they noticed him... the entire battle slowly came to a halt before they could exchange more than a few blows, as both sides were quite confused by the sudden appearance of a peculiar looking man in their midst. A few moments of silence passed as everyone watched him, and another tense moment of awkwardness and tension followed as soon as he finished speaking. The city guards themselves seemed to be torn between their desire to flee the battle and their anger at having one of their comrades killed, and for a moment there, Soren's voice had actually made some of them step back as if they'd heard an order, their frayed nerves and predisposition to mechanically listening to orders intervening, but then they stopped, and looked at the leader of the mercenaries who was also in charge of their group. And here the difference between the two attacking groups made itself seen very well. The guards were just regular, town militia, men and women pressed into service, some too young and others too old. The mercenaries on the other hand were all warriors in their prime, and after their initial confusion dissipated, they laughed. It started slowly, with some of them snickering, and then it escalated into full on laughter. Even their leader seemed to find it very difficult to remain serious as he replied.

"Bard extraordinaire?", he asked, trying to control his laughter. "Taking them under your wing... urging us to leave..threatening us..." Some of the men behind him were literally laughing to tears, but even there, their training was playing its role, as none of them had relaxed their grip on their weapons and shields. "Thank you my dear bard, I haven't had such a good laugh since visiting the Golden Theater in Heydekrug on my last leave." Eventually, the man took a deep breath as to calm himself down. "You are lucky that you are so amusing boy, otherwise you could have angered us and it wouldn't have ended well for you. If you were doing this because of a wager or because you needed more material for your songs, you can say that you beat us all and valiantly saved the slaves, you can leave, we won't harm you. And if you need mental help, I recommend the Monastery of the Broken Augur, the nuns there could take care of you if that is the case. There are no people here for you to take under your wing - those are slaves. Merchandise. They've wrongfully and violently escaped from the caravan, and killed innocents as they did. I'm not a big fan of the merchants who hired us, but a contract is a contract. And beyond that, they killed people who were just as poor and helpless as them - they don't deserve mercy. If they will lay down their weapons and come with us peacefully I can promise that only their leaders will be killed and the others will not be punished. If they continue to oppose resistance, well, we'll be trying not to kill them, but a dead slave is worth more than a missing slave after all. "

The leader took a step forward, and as he moved, a metallic cling indicated that he was wearing a collar of sorts, half hidden under the mail, a talisman perhaps. He remained quiet for a moment, waiting for an answer from the slaves, but they remained quiet and defiant. "After all, even if Remigil himself would come back from the dead to take them under his wing, where would he take them? The Tagungskammer will be meeting soon. I wouldn't want to be an escaped slave when the League sends forth its forces. You'd best leave as quickly as you can." His expression growing serious and cold, the mercenary motion to his men, who turned around, and continued to advance towards the slaves.
Last edited by Tracian Empire on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:58 am

Some Town in Morizia
Signing with a story teller

It took a moment for Az to recognize that Faye was signing to her. Once Az had figured out that it was a form of sign language, they tried to understand it. It was rough at first, as the sign language that Az knew was quite old at this point. But Az quickly figured out what Faye was saying in sign, as despite the gap in time, it was relatively similar. As for why Faye was signing, well, Az just assumed that she did not want to interrupt the children. So, Az decided to respond in kind, with the sign language that Az knew, hoping Faye would understand.

Hello to you to, Az began in sign, I was not going to come in, until your smile invited me. Stories are stories no matter whom they are for, and I enjoy a good story. Especially when I haven't heard it before. Much like that one. As for my name, its Karine. And I must confess, its not only the story I am impressed with, but also by the joy these children have with you.
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

Fereni
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fereni » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:23 am

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:
Some Town in Morizia

It's a pleasure to meet you, Karine. Thank you for your kind words. I enjoy writing my stories, and it's always a pleasure to know that others enjoy reading them. Or hearing them, in this case. She glanced back at the children, who were still examining the picture she'd drawn for them. Yes. I love children. Much of the reason I write stories is because I want to see them happy. Being able to put smiles like that on their faces is one of the best feelings in the world, to me. She paused for a moment. If it's not too intrusive to ask, do you have any children, Karine? If you do, I'm sure you understand why I feel that way. Also, you may speak aloud if you wish, I will understand. I simply cannot reply in kind, I'm afraid.

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:14 pm

Some Town in Morizia

Its fine. I haven't had many opportunities to practice signing. Az said and smiled, And no, I do not have children. My life makes having children difficult to say the least. But, that said, or signed I guess, I still understand how you feel Faye. Seeing those younger than oneself smiling in the face of the uncertain and often brutal future that waits for them.

After a moment, Az signed again, If I may ask, is that story based on real events or is it a creation purely of your mind?
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

Fereni
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fereni » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:16 pm

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:
Some Town in Morizia

I understand. I always wanted children myself, but... She hesitated, and for a brief moment, a look of pain crossed her face. It couldn't happen, she finally signed, slowly. But I like to think that these are all my children, in a way. She smiled ruefully. Call it an old woman's foolish dream. It was a little bit odd for her to refer to herself as an old woman, really; she wasn't that old, and she certainly didn't appear to be, either. To answer your question, it isn't based on anything. Well, I suppose every story I write is based off of something, as the point of my travels is to gain new knowledge and experiences with which to write, but if you're asking if there are any fairy kings hiding among human society... I suppose it's possible, but I don't know any. She covered her mouth with a hand, her shoulders shaking slightly. It was clear enough that she was laughing, even though the sound was extremely distorted. Although if they were successful enough, then I might not be able to tell. Who knows? Maybe I have met one. Why do you ask?

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:52 pm

Some Town in Morizia

Old woman? I do not see that. I see a woman with plenty of life still ahead of her. Az signed with a smile, As for it being foolish. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. I can not say. But what I can say is that I believe if more people shared your dream, humanity would not be as divided. As for why I ask about your story...

Curiosity. Az signed, The idea of a fairy king hiding among human society would not be the most surprising thing I have heard about. I have heard of things stranger than that. Or things that can be considered equal strange. Really depends on the person.

With that Az paused, and then continued after a quick though, You travel looking for knowledge and experiences, right? Well, I travel for much the same reason... Well, I originally left my home for much the same reasons. Now, my reasons for travel are more complicated. But anyways, you travel, but from where do you originate?
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

Fereni
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fereni » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:11 pm

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:
Some Town in Morizia

You're very kind, Karine. Faye smiled. It feels like I've lived quite a long time, but perhaps not. Though a lovely young woman such as yourself likely has better things to do than stand around telling me I'm not old! She laughed again, once again covering her mouth as she did so. It wouldn't be that surprising, would it? We do live in a world full of strange things. As a storyteller, I'm perhaps more familiar with that than the average person, but... you look like someone who is even more familiar with it than I am. For someone so young, I imagine you've done quite a lot. She stilled her hands for a brief moment as one of the children came up to her side, ruffling their hair, and then turned back to Az. I come from Duivene. Chovers, to be precise. And you?

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:46 pm

Some Town in Morizia

There was a moment where Az did not know how to respond. Faye had just referred to her as a lovely young lady. This was unexpected by Az to be honest, and caused Az to blush slightly. Of course, the claim was factually incorrect as Az was older than humanity itself, but still it was nice to hear. Despite this obvious flustering, Az was able to regain composure, and smiled at Faye.

I also hail from Duivene. Az signed, Though, not a big city like Chovers, instead a small village without a name. Speaking of Chovers, I've been there before. Nice city. Meet the Princess Alexis there. She really does deserve the title of hero from what I have seen. As for me dong quite a lot, I wouldn't say I have. I've spent most of my life isolated from the world, and only recently have I started to act and do things.

After a moment of no signing, Az continued, You are form Duivene, so perhaps you have heard of the Misty Forest and the hermit who calls it home?
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian

Fereni
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fereni » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:06 pm

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:
Some Town in Morizia

It's a pleasure to meet a fellow Duivenian. Princess Alexis, hmm? I've never had the pleasure of meeting her, but I'm sure she's quite worthy of the title. And I understand... I was isolated for a long time, myself. It's wonderful to be able to get out and experience the world, isn't it? She paused, and nodded slightly. I have heard of the Misty Forest, yes. As a matter of fact, I once tried to find that hermit. It was a fool's errand, of course. I ended up getting quite lost, and I didn't find the hermit. That was a pity. I would have loved to speak to them.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse