NATION

PASSWORD

The Dance of Chaos [OOC-Fantasy-OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat May 05, 2018 12:02 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Well, this is partially my fault, as I have never noticed it.

But as I said in the post above, it is perfectly feasible for Calaria to have also slowly but surely been preparing its forces. Tensions have been risiny for quite some time, and both nations are rich enough and have enough people or maintain sizeable peace time forces.

And we do have to think indeed that this is first and foremost, a medieval setting. By also taking into account the idea that the continental border between Calaria and Anselm/Arghyo is most likely a historical one, which would lead us to the assumption that the region should be heavily fortified. Castles with good fortifications, strengthened by magic.

Then how would your mercenaries have taken them that easily? Even if we only take the soldiers into account, the garrison would have the advantage. You can't just climb over the walls. Even a small garrison would be able to more or less effectively man their walls, and your element of surprise wouldn't last forever. Add the mages in and a siege becomes a rather brutal endeavor.

Granted, your attack could have taken some of the first forts, but you'd quickly lose the surprise. Yes, mercenaries are irregulars but they're still armed men, and you need to gather a lot of them in the same place in order to be able to strike. All while the first Calarian fort would have been able to warn the others.

So while you would have been able to strike some initial victories, I don't think that the entire Calarian border would be defenseless.

See, I didn't even know that. Fuck, I don't even know my own forces. I personally went with Anselm in my imagination as a nation that does not maintain an army in peacetime apart from town guard against criminals due to cost reasons. Now I know that Anselm is apparently rich enough to maintain sizeable forces even in peacetime. And now I hear about magically fortified castles for the first time. Bloody hell, the problem with fantasy settings when you have no actual clue how fantasy it is. Same with this warning. This is a attack against several forts or fortresses along the border. You btw, never specified how these warnings looked like so I imagined it to be either by horse, hence why I sent out light cavarly to circle fortresses, or by dove, hence why horse archers of the good Yazgirian stock are mong them. Now though, the question is magic since I have no clue what magic can or cannot do. You also never said anything about how integrated mages are in the armies of the countries etc.

I sent atleast one TG asking what I should be aware of when attacking Calaria. If I remember, the answers were pretty vague and could be summarized with: " You do you but don't conquer the entire nation unrealistically quickly." Granted my memory has never been the best so I can probably not hope to actually remember what was said 7+ months ago.

As I said, sorry about it. It was probably right around the period when I was really busy, so I was mostly focused on other things. But my vague reason was still somewhat right. You can do whatever tactics you want to, but you can't just go straight through such a fortified fortress without the Calarians being able to at least react.

Well, since you control the Council for the time being, it's actually your choice - but due to trade, both Calaria and Anselm are able to maintain sizeable peace time forces. There are reasons for why they wouldn't - most of their forces are made up by their own mercenaries after all, and mercenaries are difficult to control, but they would be more than able to keep them there. And my logic is that the tensions between Calaria and Anselm had been growing for a while - it would be pretty weird for the Calarians to not have any forces in the only direct continental border region they share.

And yeah, that is fantasy I suppose. But that is magic. I never properly said I suppose, but mages are everywhere. All nations have them, even if realms like the Ecclesiarchy or Achisia have/had the most of them when compared to their other forces. Considering the importance of magic though, it is easy to assume that there is at least a single mage in even the lowest of forts, and calling for help, either through one of the ways which allow mages to talk between each other from afar, or if needed, by just creating a big pile of smoke or something, is possible.

So as I said before, in my opinion, your attack could have been initially successful, you could have taken over the border forts through sheer force of surprise, as long as you still think about how specifically your men took over those forts.

Now, you have a couple bigger castles to face while the Calarians are warned. It wouldn't be fun if Calaria would just fall easily, right?
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sat May 05, 2018 12:07 am

Elysian Kentarchy wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:I mean, sorry to break in, but I doubt that all their castles were like that. We're talking about a predictable war that came after years of worsening relations and rising tensions. So I'd assume that the Calarians would have already had at leas some garrisons.

So I think that while you would have been able to take some of them , the bigger fortresses would especially still stand strong. Though, you would clearly have a numerical advantage for the time being - mostly because as always, Calaria is a mostly naval faction.

Obviously, Exil threw each fortress a huge party in celebration of some random holiday and while they were partying Exil's forces conducted a ritual to summon Elizabeth (can't remember the name Exil changed her to) from the Imperial War Academy universe and she scared them all into surrendering.

If we reboot it, she'll be Elizabeth again.

And fuck, Elizabeth is a fucking supersoldier on the levels of the Hulk. They better be scared if she just randomly appears.

Tracian Empire wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:See, I didn't even know that. Fuck, I don't even know my own forces. I personally went with Anselm in my imagination as a nation that does not maintain an army in peacetime apart from town guard against criminals due to cost reasons. Now I know that Anselm is apparently rich enough to maintain sizeable forces even in peacetime. And now I hear about magically fortified castles for the first time. Bloody hell, the problem with fantasy settings when you have no actual clue how fantasy it is. Same with this warning. This is a attack against several forts or fortresses along the border. You btw, never specified how these warnings looked like so I imagined it to be either by horse, hence why I sent out light cavarly to circle fortresses, or by dove, hence why horse archers of the good Yazgirian stock are mong them. Now though, the question is magic since I have no clue what magic can or cannot do. You also never said anything about how integrated mages are in the armies of the countries etc.

I sent atleast one TG asking what I should be aware of when attacking Calaria. If I remember, the answers were pretty vague and could be summarized with: " You do you but don't conquer the entire nation unrealistically quickly." Granted my memory has never been the best so I can probably not hope to actually remember what was said 7+ months ago.

As I said, sorry about it. It was probably right around the period when I was really busy, so I was mostly focused on other things. But my vague reason was still somewhat right. You can do whatever tactics you want to, but you can't just go straight through such a fortified fortress without the Calarians being able to at least react.

Well, since you control the Council for the time being, it's actually your choice - but due to trade, both Calaria and Anselm are able to maintain sizeable peace time forces. There are reasons for why they wouldn't - most of their forces are made up by their own mercenaries after all, and mercenaries are difficult to control, but they would be more than able to keep them there. And my logic is that the tensions between Calaria and Anselm had been growing for a while - it would be pretty weird for the Calarians to not have any forces in the only direct continental border region they share.

And yeah, that is fantasy I suppose. But that is magic. I never properly said I suppose, but mages are everywhere. All nations have them, even if realms like the Ecclesiarchy or Achisia have/had the most of them when compared to their other forces. Considering the importance of magic though, it is easy to assume that there is at least a single mage in even the lowest of forts, and calling for help, either through one of the ways which allow mages to talk between each other from afar, or if needed, by just creating a big pile of smoke or something, is possible.

So as I said before, in my opinion, your attack could have been initially successful, you could have taken over the border forts through sheer force of surprise, as long as you still think about how specifically your men took over those forts.

Now, you have a couple bigger castles to face while the Calarians are warned. It wouldn't be fun if Calaria would just fall easily, right?

Considering that medieval countries were riddled with castles controlling roads, rivers, bridges etc even far inland, I was actually not thinking that it was going to be easy, even with the fall of the border. And as I said, I am not saying there were no garrisons, but that the garrisons there were understrength.

Anyway, alright. This changes the entire situation a lot. I'll need to find me contingency plans if I made any all those months ago.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

Charlia
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Sat May 05, 2018 7:45 am

Looking through names both for future reference and just to keep myself busy.

One of the names listed as ones others are currently searching for?

Anselm.

*dead*

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sat May 05, 2018 7:47 am

Charlia wrote:Looking through names both for future reference and just to keep myself busy.

Anselm.

*dead*

Others are searching for Anselm? Funny.

It's actually rather uncommon of a name though. Haven't heard it even once. Neither in history nor in daily usage.

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Sat May 05, 2018 7:53 am

Charlia wrote:Looking through names both for future reference and just to keep myself busy.

Anselm.

*dead*

It's actually rather uncommon of a name though. Haven't heard it even once. Neither in history nor in daily usage.
Nor have I. *shrugs* But apparently it's a thing.

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Sat May 05, 2018 7:57 am

Anselm.

*dead*

Saint Anselm of Canterbury

There is also a Saint Anselm College in the United States.
Last edited by Elysian Kentarchy on Sat May 05, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Philosophy and Religion Major

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Sat May 05, 2018 7:59 am

Elysian Kentarchy wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Others are searching for Anselm? Funny.

Should've known it was a saint. XD

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat May 05, 2018 8:00 am

To my defense, I am not familiar with Catholic saints and I never looked up the late before creating Anselm the nation xD
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Sat May 05, 2018 8:01 am

Charlia wrote:
Elysian Kentarchy wrote:
Should've known it was a saint. XD

A rather important one when it comes to Western Christian doctrine (I have written enough papers on his model of atonement to know that one :P )

Tracian Empire wrote:To my defense, I am not familiar with Catholic saints and I never looked up the late before creating Anselm the nation xD

I am near 100% certain I have used Anselm as a name in RPs anyway.
Last edited by Elysian Kentarchy on Sat May 05, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Sat May 05, 2018 8:03 am

Elysian Kentarchy wrote:
Charlia wrote:Should've known it was a saint. XD

A rather important one when it comes to Western Christian doctrine (I have written enough papers on his model of atonement to know that one :P )

Tracian Empire wrote:To my defense, I am not familiar with Catholic saints and I never looked up the late before creating Anselm the nation xD

Why yes I did, thought so with the Gods and Heretics RP. :P

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sat May 05, 2018 8:04 am

Elysian Kentarchy wrote:
Elysian Kentarchy wrote:

Why yes I did, thought so with the Gods and Heretics RP. :P

I was just about to remind you lol.

Axis Asteroid
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Asteroid » Sat May 05, 2018 8:23 am

Could have been a subconscious familiarity too. Happens to me sometimes lol.
National Factbook: History, Economy, Military etc.
(Significantly inspired by Zeon from Gundam.)

Tamrida
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tamrida » Sat May 05, 2018 8:50 am

Hello there, I am interested in possibly joining this RP and I just have a few questions:
  • Is joining Discord required for this RP? Because I am unable to do so due to IRL issues.
  • Is there an IC thread or is that not made yet?
  • Is it okay if I make my character be a pseudodragon wizard with a human familiar? (This is one of my D&D characters)
Thank you for your time.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sat May 05, 2018 9:07 am

Tamrida wrote:Hello there, I am interested in possibly joining this RP and I just have a few questions:
  • Is joining Discord required for this RP? Because I am unable to do so due to IRL issues.
  • Is it okay if I make my character be a pseudodragon wizard with a human familiar? (This is one of my D&D characters)
Thank you for your time.

Is there even such a thing as a Discord for this?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat May 05, 2018 9:10 am

Tamrida wrote:Hello there, I am interested in possibly joining this RP and I just have a few questions:
Thank you for your time.

This roleplay has no Discord chat and it will most likely never have one because I dislike this idea. There is no IC thread, it will most likely only be posted tomorrow, and as for your third question.. maybe? I'm don't know much about D&D, and that page over there hasn't told me much, so we'll need to try to adapt whatever you have mind for this world's lore.

What exactly do you mean by a pseudodragon? A half-dragon, a hybrid of some sorts, or something else?

As for a human familiar, I'm not sure what to say. At least in this world's lore, most of the familiars are animal spirits that can be summoned into a physical form in order to help their master. Do you want to have a human spirit under your control, or do you just want to control a human being?

Haedros 92712
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Haedros 92712 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:11 am

Oh hey Tamrida!
"Dying is not very sex." - Some idiot, 2020

I prefer she/they pronouns, and I enjoy not having to debate people over whether or not they should respect that. If they/them pronouns aren't something you're cool with, just use she/her. Thanks! -That same idiot, 2020

Without further ado:
ANIME TIME :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3

Axis Asteroid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Asteroid » Sat May 05, 2018 9:12 am

Thank you for your time.

Is there even such a thing as a Discord for this?

I’m glad there isn’t. Discord is what kills OOCs and by extension, RPs.
Last edited by Axis Asteroid on Sat May 05, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sat May 05, 2018 9:19 am

Axis Asteroid wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Is there even such a thing as a Discord for this?

+1

Everytime I see a highly un active OOC, I ditch a RP.
I usually don't even check if it has a Discord where all the actual activity is.
And other people who check similarly as I do, might probably ditch RPs for the same reason.

Tamrida
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tamrida » Sat May 05, 2018 9:32 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Is there even such a thing as a Discord for this?

Huh, I would have sworn that there was something about there being a discord for this, but on a second glance I don't see one. I am probably losing my mind with all of the other RPs that I do :lol2:.

Tracian Empire wrote:This roleplay has no Discord chat and it will most likely never have one because I dislike this idea. There is no IC thread, it will most likely only be posted tomorrow, and as for your third question.. maybe? I'm don't know much about D&D, and that page over there hasn't told me much, so we'll need to try to adapt whatever you have mind for this world's lore.

What exactly do you mean by a pseudodragon? A half-dragon, a hybrid of some sorts, or something else?

As for a human familiar, I'm not sure what to say. At least in this world's lore, most of the familiars are animal spirits that can be summoned into a physical form in order to help their master. Do you want to have a human spirit under your control, or do you just want to control a human being?

Okay thanks for the information. (And I personally prefer RPs not having a Discord so thanks for not having one)

A pseudodragon is basically a tiny creature that is a dragon, but with none of the OP powers. (It can fly, has telepathy, etc., but can't transform, breathe elemental powers, etc.) Image The idea is that, the pseudodragon is a common familiar type for humans, but in this case it is reversed.

Possibly Familiar wasn't the right term for this RP (I am more used to D&D terminology), but my idea is more so of like a human "companion" (for lack of a better term) that helps out the pseudodragon with communication and interaction with the normal world. It would function similar to a character with a pet, where the character is the most important one, but the RPer also control the actions for the pet, which typically stays near the side of the former. The D&D meme that was my inspiration

Haedros 92712 wrote:Oh hey Tamrida!

Hey Hae!
Last edited by Tamrida on Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Axis Asteroid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Asteroid » Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 am

Axis Asteroid wrote:

+1

I usually don't even check if it has a Discord where all the actual activity is.
And other people who check similarly as I do, might probably ditch RPs for the same reason.

I wish more OPs shared this sentiment tbh. I have stubbornly refused to make a Discord account just because of this particular trend of RPs, which has soured my impression of it.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat May 05, 2018 10:17 am

Tamrida wrote:Okay thanks for the information. (And I personally prefer RPs not having a Discord so thanks for not having one)

A pseudodragon is basically a tiny creature that is a dragon, but with none of the OP powers. (It can fly, has telepathy, etc., but can't transform, breathe elemental powers, etc.) Image The idea is that, the pseudodragon is a common familiar type for humans, but in this case it is reversed.

Possibly Familiar wasn't the right term for this RP (I am more used to D&D terminology), but my idea is more so of like a human "companion" (for lack of a better term) that helps out the pseudodragon with communication and interaction with the normal world. It would function similar to a character with a pet, where the character is the most important one, but the RPer also control the actions for the pet, which typically stays near the side of the former. The D&D meme that was my inspiration

As I said, I don't know all that much about D%D, so thank you very much for explaining!

Yeah, it does sound alright to me. There is currently no such race in the lore, but it could potentially exist in this world, so I have no problems with it.

And yeah, I was a little confused because of the term - a human companion would certainly be acceptable. If you however want that human to have its own personality, past and so on, you'd most likely have to make an app for it too.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sat May 05, 2018 10:19 am

Axis Asteroid wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:+1

I wish more OPs shared this sentiment tbh. I have stubbornly refused to make a Discord account just because of this particular trend of RPs, which has soured my impression of it.

I'm actually on Discord because of my region. They talked me into it after several weeks of stubborn refusal. So now I've had Discord for about a year I believe.

Tamrida
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tamrida » Sat May 05, 2018 10:25 am

Tracian Empire wrote:As I said, I don't know all that much about D%D, so thank you very much for explaining!

Yeah, it does sound alright to me. There is currently no such race in the lore, but it could potentially exist in this world, so I have no problems with it.

And yeah, I was a little confused because of the term - a human companion would certainly be acceptable. If you however want that human to have its own personality, past and so on, you'd most likely have to make an app for it too.

Okay, thanks for accepting. The app will be up soon.

Also, it was no problem to explain it to you. You are welcome!

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Sat May 05, 2018 10:54 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Thank you for your time.

This roleplay has no Discord chat and it will most likely never have one because I dislike this idea. There is no IC thread, it will most likely only be posted tomorrow, and as for your third question.. maybe? I'm don't know much about D&D, and that page over there hasn't told me much, so we'll need to try to adapt whatever you have mind for this world's lore.

Good. I don't like discord. :D

Nea Videssos
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Sat May 05, 2018 10:57 am

Axis Asteroid wrote:

I'm actually on Discord because of my region. They talked me into it after several weeks of stubborn refusal. So now I've had Discord for about a year I believe.

I think someone on Steam bugged me into going on Discord back in December 2016, to join some sort of Total War group (though it'd been a while since I actually played Total War, and after that chat, I never talked with them again). I'm not that active on Discord, mainly lurking on a few different servers every now and then, but I do find it handy from time to time. Most of the servers I'm on are trap servers, with only a couple of RP servers (one of them being the one for the Fate RP) another being Imp's Masquerade RP (been planning to finish off my character draft for that, ages ago, but various things came up over past months, bit like here).

Would be nice if people could balance out activity on both OOCs and Discord servers, but that's probably not going to happen.
Formerly Videssos. Just a femboy-obsessed degenerate. Also interested in history, mythology, fantasy, science fiction, metal and some other stuff.
A little bird told me, "Go, Go! Socialise! Talk to those fine people! And then, KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! Plunge your knife into their throats when they ain't lookin', and then burn 'em to the ground!"
Well that's silly, isn't it?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse