NATION

PASSWORD

World On Fire: Operation Deadfall

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:46 am

His requests were, to his surprise, actually granted. And he was even more surprised about the possible use they had for him and his 'patches'. Infiltration? They played a dangerous game here with an Axis defector such as him, defecting again would be such an easy opportunity to take. However, he had some reservations of his own about such a task and he was also sure that people with even just a shred of distrust of him...so basically the entire team...would not authorize such a mission once they were in the field. That was what he thought untill a shout ripped him straight out of his calculations.

He looked around quickly, having been momentarily disoriented by being ripped out of his thoughts so suddenly. Luckily the source of the commotion was easy to make it since he had stood up and continued shouting. It was the Arab, Syrian if he remembered correctly from the patches he had seen. He apparently felt insulted by how he had been ignored by Fleming, felt as though this was some kind of plot against him. Dietrich's lips formed a small smirk as he walked out of the room to go and get his equipment.

The equipment consisted of his uniform, his favourite walking stick, a MG-13 with a saddle drum magazine as well as 8 curved box magazines, a Swiss Revolver Model 1882/29 and about 12 bullets, 2 Model 1925 Stick Grenades and two flasks of water. He loaded a pair of magazine pouches with the curved bo magazines before slinging them over his neck so they dangled down in front of him. Then he attached a fitting holster for the revolver to his belt, loaded the revolver and stowed it away in there while letting the remaining six bullets slide into one of his pockets. He put two stick grenades into his belt and one into his boot, then he acquired two flasks of water which he hung over his shoulders. Lastly he attached the saddle drum magazine to the MG-13 and used the strap to sling the LMG over his shoulder. Picking up his walking stick he followed the rest of the team to whatever strange new room they were going to.

It was...somehow both underwhelming and overwhelming. It lacked grandeur, felt like one of the bureas of Speer and his construction lackeys. However, despite the rather industrial atmosphere, he couldn't help but feel as though something was wrong here, as though something perverted and unnatural was or had been happening here. His watchful eye kept darting around, sending stern glares at everything it focused on briefly. He ignored the arrival of some other guy after he heard his introduction. Another communist. He didn't want to have to do more with their kind than absolutely necessary. He stared at his hand, forever forced into a claw like position by the strike of a cossack saber, and tried to stretch it out a little while musing about his own beef with the communists. He had perceived their threat strongly. Strong enough to eventually resort to supporting NSdAP's radical options and helping them to rise to power.

He suppressed his smirk this time when he saw what the french Inquisitor had done to Haytham. Sometimes he wondered how much of a help the french really were to the Allies. They had been robbed of most of their strength early in the war and the little they had stemmed mostly from their oppressed colonies. Colonies whose inhabitants were all too eager to follow german promises of freedom and to take up arms against their allied oppressors. Haytham was a perfect example.

Suddenly a voice said that it was time to go. He looked at the source and saw a woman he had glared at already when they entered. Apparently she gave the orders down here. Considering that she said that they'd be going now, he guessed that they would not do so by conventional means. Time was of the essence afterall and this was anything but an underground airport. So would it be teleportation? Most likely. That's probably why his hair had been standing up ever since he had entered this room. The woman began chanting, a language he had never heard before. Still, he tried to use his alcohol infused brain to memorize atleast the sound of what she was chanting. Didn't work out too well since things always seemed to slip away from him. Below him, runes and pentacles suddenly lit up in yellow and Dietrich knew, shit was about to happen.

Above them some strange swirling maelstrom opened and Dietrich was immediately reminded of the stories he had heard as kid of sailors, dragged down deep under the water by such things on the seas. Fuck, it even sounded like something was going to draw them in and drag them down to the depths of hell. Even worse though was, that suddenly his feet stopped touching the ground. Dietrich, not used to just flying through air, especcially though to flying upwards rather than downwards, struggled and waved his arms much like a swimmer trying to get back to the ground. Yet his efforts proved to be futile and the vortex sucked him in as well and his journey began.

First he thought he was actually underwater. Had he really been sucked down to the depths of the oceans? God damned Britons and their seas! But something was off, something big was there. Then suddenly there was a bump and he was catapulted skywards, his heart not taking very well to the sudden rush of adrenaline and excitement and starting to ache in his breast. From up there he could see some three legged metal beasts lying around in some giant desert but he was really too busy holding his chest and hoping for the pain to subside rather than to stare at weird things seen during some form of magic journey. Suddenly another swerve and he fell. For a moment he considered closing his eyes but if his death was to die by falling onto a desert from unmeasurable heights then so be it...just that it wasn't like that. It was fairly dark where he was falling towards but it looked like the ground wasn't that far away and there was some sort of lump readied there.

They landed rather roughly on a nest of hay, barely enough to slow their fall enough so they didn't hurt themselves. Somewhere behind him he could hear the soft thump of something very big and heavy being let down in the hay and when he turned around he saw what was most likely the grossly upgraded Universal Carrier they had taken with them. Hopefully nobody had been underneath it. It was terrible for the troop morale to start a mission with a casualty. As for casualties, they had gotten damn close to making him one. His heart was still thumping in his chest as though it wanted to work at ten times the speed it usually did and his ribcage, lungs and heart hurt from this. Never, if it could be in any way avoided, would he travel like this again. Fuck it, he'd ask for transfer into the command center and get back there by ship or aircraft but never again with this hellish thing.

Speaking about journey, shouldn't there be someone, anyone, expecting them here? The nest of hay definitely indicated so so why was it so quiet and dark? Suddenly floodlights were put on and illuminated them while also outlining a feminine silhouette. One of them darted up and pointed their handgun at the silhouette. Dietrich just shook his head while looking at this display. If this was an enemy ambush then they were dead, plain and simple. No need in jumping and pointing guns at silhouettes. But the light got brighter and revealed the silhouette to be a Tommy. Atleast judging by the uniform. However, when she started to speak, labelling the jumpy lady as a Miss Heim and herself as their SoE aide, Naomi Bittermann, he got the feeling that she was not even close to being a real Brit. Maybe german if he got the accent correctly. Another smirk crawled across his face as he though: Or not if she's a jew and Hitler is to be believed.

Anyway, the young lady pulled a lever, opening the gate of what looked like a hangar. After the darkness, the sudden bath in floodlight had not been easy on Dietrich's eyes so he had not seen it before. Now he did though. So they were in Cairo on an airfield. He saw larger bombers of the American B-25 type, saw the british Spitfires which had given Göring and his peers so many headaches in the west and saw the new american fighters, the P-40s. Everything looked like they were preparing for a major offensive and this Naomi confirmed it, saying that they'd be going to war soon. And then the whole introduction she had probably practiced several times was ruined by aheavy french truck stopping behind her and covering her with dust.

Dietrich stared at the truck as though he was seeing a ghost. It bore a drawing not unlike some of the drawings he had seen from his captors back a year ago. Oh please don't tell me that I'll have to endure all of those fools again... , he thought just for his hopes to be utterly smashed as Lieutenant Hughes appeared. He facepalmed, forgetting the pain in his chest for a moment, and just wanted to sink into the ground. Alas, god was not this merciful with him. He was playing a very cruel game with him. With a moan he slowly got up from the nest of hay, using his walking stick as support. He then checked wether all of his equipment was still there and undamaged before trotting over to the others, his the tip of his stick giving off a metallic click whenever he set it on the ground. He stayed quiet, not wanting to draw the attention of these LRDG retards again.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Cpl. Konani Sanderson, WAACE (Cpl. Fumihiko Sekakuna, Force 24)
Ley Chamber

Aside from the usual crew armaments, we had nothing else to add for the time being. Cheung nodded towards the both of us, Mohamad having rejoining us after having a small chat with one of the older members of this hodgepodge team, and we set off at once when dismissed. The Iron Weasel wasn't going to move itself, and like hell I was letting anyone unqualified behind the steering gears. There are only three other people I currently trust running my baby; Cheung, Mohamad, and the poor bloke who drove her before me. Rest in pieces my friend...

Fast-forward a good half hour later, and we had successfully squeezed our lovely carrier into the magic ritual chamber. The chanting from the mages all around reminded me of home, but not in a particularly good way. There was a queasy feeling about it all, and we hadn't even begun our journey. Beside us were our new teammates decked out in the weapons they had chosen; a variety of European armaments galore, some American pieces and various miscellaneous that I could not identify. For us, our choices were fairly standard, most of which Commonwealth equipment we'd grown accustomed to back with Force 24; A Boys AT rifle in case we didn't want to use the big boy cannon, two Sten Mark IIs for the usual out-of-cabin work, and a scoped Rifle No. 3 Mk. 1* (T) A, or better known as the Pattern 1914 Enfield, for myself in case we needed to give some marksman support.

What? I'm a crack shot when not driving!

Aside from the rifles and SMGs we also had the classic Webley revolvers which wouldn't jam as much as their semi-automatic counterparts and a variety of grenades that were stowed safely in cases on board the cabin. All-in-all, you wouldn't be wrong to call the Iron Weasel a deformed monster with all the utilities sticking out. But it was our monster, and I'm proud of her.

"Konani, turn the bloody engine off, you're going to choke everyone in the near vicinity."

"Aye, aye Lieutenant," I responded cheerfully, shutting off the engine and awaiting for our transfer. Teleportation magic was indeed tricky business, and I could imagine that this would most likely be very nausea-

Cairo, Egypt

-TING!

It was too quick to truly describe. The anti-gravity, the visions of the sea and desert, then the fall. If I were told to recall the memory I would probably tell you to "go fuck yourself", but that would be horribly impolite of me so I'd just keep it to myself and just shrug.

"TIMBEEEEEEEEEEER!!!"

I forgot to mention that we had seemingly arrived tilted.

No wonder everyone was stuck to the wall.

For a few more brief seconds, we were still falling, and very fast on that note, considering we were inside of an extra-heavy Universal Carrier. I braced myself, prepared for death for as long as I could remember, but then we had slowed to a very close-stop, landing softly on the ground with a seemingly magical presence saving us and whoever might be below us.

I heaved deeply, sinking into my seat weakly and tilting my head back, looking at Cheung and Mohamad. The former was fixing her uniform, while our brave gunner was as pale as he could be. I stifled a laugh before he glared at me, half-angry, half-scared-to-death.

"Konani, get the girl running, we have a mate below us who we almost killed," Cheung ordered, sitting back down into her seat. I nodded, charging up the engine once more. The Iron Weasel sputtered to life, and I rolled her off of the hay and onto the concrete as the hangar door opened.

Welcome to Egypt...

"If I may, is there anyone here I may speak to on regards to armor maintenance?!" Cheung called out, a little out of character for her to be shouting such requests, but I suppose she's a little too exhausted to exit the vehicle.
Last edited by Sonitusia on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING
Check out my Deviantart for shit drawings!
Member of Task Force Atlas
Holy Messenger of Imperialjapanism and Twin Sibling of Shyluz
Shyluz wrote:The second 'tanks' was said, it was all over.

Gensokyu wrote:So that happened.

They say that in the great wars of NS Summer, there was one who did not fight with blood, but with iron. They named this one the Master of Tanks, and the thunderous sound of cannon and the rattling of machine guns could be heard far and wide, the crossroads before the capital of CotM being defended by this valiant one until it stood alone. Shitposters layed in droves, and entire army having been slain by the might of Sonitusia, Master of Tanks, Commandant of Iron, and Slinger of Shells.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:48 am

Naomi was about to start yelling at the Kiwis for calling her up in sand, when the hulking giant of a man that was Captain Beecher suddenly addressed her, the low boom of his voice shaking the Mandate British' out of her cheeky demeanor.

"Uh."

The young woman looked him up to down, and desperately shook some of the desert dust that had gotten on her hair. Heim rolled her eyes. Skipper, finishing his affectionate hug with Cynthia, smiled cheekily at the scene.

"Right. We're going to provide extra vehicles for your team which have been supplied expressly for this mission. I'll accompany you with the LRDG in the road between here and Alexandria. We'll arrive in the early morning as the battle starts. The ensuing chaos will permit our unit to push through the Axis lines unnoticed and make our way through the Qattara Depression. Speaking of which, some of you will board those. "

Naomi pointed to a line of unusual equipment on the side of the room. Heim glanced, her interest in the whole endeavor renewed. She ran imperceptible calculations in her mind.

" Willow, we take that Willis MB. You drive. " she announced, making her way to a sand-colored Jeep . A light canvas shielded the drivers from sunlight and carefully hid the 50 cal emplacement in the back of the car.

Iridelle pushed, or rather dragged Haytham, to a finely decorated rug sitting right next to the Jeep, decked out with headlights, an umbrella cover, sandbags and a curious looking telescope-like weapon made from shining brass.

Naomi smiled. "This finely made carpet hails from a kindly Baghdad workshop which allegedly follows the alchemical recipe laid out by Vizier Jafar ibn Yahya 1000 years ago. The gun doubles as a telescope, and as an Archimedes- type heat ray."

Iridelle smiled, slightly, venomously.

"And as everything good in the Orient, it's actually Persian. Etienne, take position on the magnifier gun." she ordered the Syrian around, gauling-up his name.

Abraham noticed a beautifully polished, silver Triumph motorbike with strong off-road wheels sitting next to the flying carpet, along with a cramped MG sidecar attached to it. He exchanged a glance with Ariel, which promptly solidified his position as the sidecar gunner. The young man sat awkwardly as he awaited his blonde rider.

"I think I will stay in one of the main trucks to aid in communications between team members." Polina announced, patting Dima on the back and waving to Zhao, before climbing up on one of R1 Patrol's trucks.

Meanwhile, Skipper laughed heartily at Clark's suggestion he was a desert cabbie." Indeed I am, old chap. We like overcharging Yankees and dropping them at the farthest oasis where they barter us the most camels for them. It's not like a Rodolfo Valentino movie but it's close."

The patrol captain then waved for Esther. "Cheerio, lassie. You're the girls who makes magic with clay, ain't I right? We're bringing your frenchie special water on our trucks for the journey, you may want to charge up."

Heim stood up from her leather seat in the ruggedized Jeep. "Alright everyone, load up on your vehicle of choice. We will follow R1 patrol. Pack food and water. Captain, you give the go signal."
Last edited by Agritum on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:07 am

Agritum wrote:Abraham noticed a beautifully polished, silver Triumph motorbike with strong off-road wheels sitting next to the flying carpet, along with a cramped MG sidecar attached to it. He exchanged a glance with Ariel, which promptly solidified his position as the sidecar gunner. The young man sat awkwardly as he awaited his blonde rider.

Giving a smile as Abe hinted at her, the blonde knight ran her fingers over her new ride as she hopped on. Inspecting the brakes and throttle, she quipped, "poppy, you look cute in the side car~. You sure you don't want the driver's seat though?"

Given her joking, cheeky tone, however, she sounded more like she was affirming his position as gunner than offering to swap. The motorcycle was made for her, and she would have wanted nothing more to stick to it. Still, she was willing to offer him a choice, if only so she would know where he stood.

Stepping up to one of the R1 trucks, Milena did not appear to enjoy her position in the rear. However, her telekinesis was, in all honesty, still weak, and her crippling disability only made her a liability. But working in close tandem to a Soviet esper was beyond degrading. Shoving a notepad on her chest, she stated coldly in Russian, "you will talk to me as you would a regular vocally-impaired person. If you need help, your friend will radio to me. Under no circumstances are you and your pal to talk to me with your brain because I will shut it out. If you are not happy about this, I can always switch jobs with you."

It was an unnecessary restriction. It was even dangerous to propose this. Cutting herself out of comms with Polina over her petty affiliation would put herself and the team at risk, and the severity of the mission should have at least warranted an exception. But Milena was paranoid, and not without reason. She had ample reason to distrust Polina as a Stalinist hag, and she had no idea when her thoughts were being compromised. For someone who relied a lot on appearance and deception, no one was more dangerous.

Besides which, Milena had lied about one matter - she was not sure she had trained her mental block enough to stave off Polina.

Hopping on to one of the trucks, Anna felt a bit nervous being at the rear. She felt genuinely ashamed to be waiting at the back as a medic, but her dread at harming a soul - even one as corrupt as the Nazis - was a hefty weight on her conscience. It did not help that she had essentially made weapons for them, something even more anathema to her teachings. But something pulled her back to Shadowcom, a dread that if she continued to drag her feet, she might be expelled from the team.

She wanted to fight.
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Factbook (under revamping): MT | PT
Characters: Imperial Registry of Houses (PT: Historical Archives)
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates
National Symbols (Applies for both MT/PMT and FT): Flag (Elaborate)|Anthem

/人 ‿‿ 人\ { Make a contract with me, and save me from the Homu-devil! )

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:42 am

Agritum wrote:Basically everyone important

Wolfenium wrote:Milena Rurikova

Dmitry Dmitryevich Zhdanov

October 22nd, 1942

Cairo

Dmitry's conversation with Zhao ended up petering out, as it seems - so instead, the esper turned his attention towards what was happening around them. After a few moments of chatting and complaining, everything went back in order once Naomi briefly explained the situation and ordered the squad to board one of the vehicles for a trip to the Qattara Depression. The choices were motorcycles, jeeps or one of the R1 Patrol trucks. All of them had pros and cons of their own.

Polina's sudden tap on Dmitry's shoulder before she leaped into one of the trucks, however, sealed the option he set out to pick. While taking a motorcycle or a jeep was a little tempting, it wouldn't hurt to take the truck, either, especially since he wasn't all that great of a driver anyway. Plus, Polina told him that they'll be able to sum up the briefing to him on their way to the mission, which wouldn't be a bad idea either. Not that it wouldn't be impossible for Dmitry to have a long telepathic chat while driving a motorcycle, but it would still be a risk.

As the esper walked up to one of the R1 trucks, his ears caught an unfamiliar voice from the inside, speaking in Russian, and in quite a harsh tone as well. That certainly wasn't Polina - not that Polina could speak outside of telepathic communications anyway. Leaping up into the truck, Dmitry saw that the source of that voice was an another member of Shadow Ops, a long-haired girl who looked far too young to be on the battlefield. And clearly an Esper, too - the bleached white hair and talk about blocking out telepathic communications instantly gave it away. Pretending to have not heard anything, Dmitry sat down at the side and pulled out a book from his bag, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky's "Exploration of Cosmic Space by Means of Reaction Devices", opening a page he bookmarked instantly.

He had read this 40 year old treatise seventeen times now and this was about to be his eighteenth - not that he saw anything wrong with that.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:22 pm

In hindsight, Antoniya thought, it was a really bad idea to not ask for the return of her confiscated broom. She had thought that if the weather would not permit air support from any side, then it would be neither practical nor necessary to have her broom. Now she regretted it, thinking just how nice it would've been to fly with the broom across the sand dunes, the air flowing past cooling her down in this heat. Alas, there was nothing she could do about it now so she didn't moan about it.

Now as for her equipment, she had traded her heavy coat, and the equally heavy, fur lined cape for three flasks of water as well as a ZK-383 submachinegun. As a sidearm she had chosen a Luger P08 and for close combat she stuck to her trusted Bulgarian Air Force Dagger. She had not taken very much ammunition with her, mostly because she was young and had a relatively frail body and she knew that well, hence why she had taken just as much as she thought she could carry in a combat zone for extended amounts of time. So it was basically just 4 magazines for the submachinegun and 4 magazines for the handgun.

Concerning the way they got here in the first place, she didn't actually end up puking. Sure, the experience of what she had seen was everything but enjoyable but the feeling of no ground anywhere and just falling and being whisked around was a familiar one she had experienced over and over in air battles in the Balkans. The rather dramatic entrance of their british guide also hadn't unsettled her too much, instead just bringing a defeated sigh out of her, quietly accepting their possible fate only to sigh again when she had noticed that it was all just because their guide had wanted to make a great first impression. Considering how that woman called Heim had reacted, that plan could've went south very quickly for her.

Having been a bit disoriented by the all consuming darkness of the hangar and then the blinding floodlights, Antoniya looked around to find out where Milena had gone. She definitely didn't carry additional water for Milena just so she wouldn't be at Milena's side when she needed it. She saw her step into one of the trucks which had rolled up and ruined their guide's entrance and made her way over there. She saw the hulking german general also attempting to enter the truck, only to stop midway, turn around and stroll off to another truck. Antoniya wondered what he had seen, heard or thought that made him act this way. It seemed a bit disrespectful, really. Anyway, she reached the truck shortly after the fallen General had left and climbed onto it. She saw Milena, and, with her usual deadpan expression, sat down next to her. She noticed that Milena didn't look very friendly at all. Glancing at the Soviet Espers who were also in the truck, she could guess why. As an ex-Russian and apparent Tsarist Loyalist, Milena obviously disliked being around these people. Well, hopefully she'd feel better now that she was around to back her up if necessary. Not that she thought that she could do too much against an esper at this range.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dietrich had decided to for one of the trucks. For a moment he had considered taking a car but he had thrown that out of the window in favour of the truck for he wanted to feel a bit like a normal grunt in the lower ranks of the army again. Driving in a truck, cuddled up to comrades. However, when he was entering a truck, he saw and heard the crippled esper speaking to the other female esper in russian. He was quick to attempt to translate, using his decent knowledge of the language acquired during his years on the Eastern Front and work for the IIIb and managed to understand that the cripple didn't wish to be mentally contacted. Mentally. The moment he had translated that word he froze before retracting his foot and then quickly searched for another truck to get in.

A terrifying thought really. If they could talk to you in your mind, what else could they do? How did you answer or did they just read your mind? He had never really bothered with espers because he had made clear that unless it was absolutely necessary, he didn't want to go to the eastern front again. Now apart from the fact that the thought of the contents of one's mind weren't safe terrifying him, he also had other reasons to get atleast some distance to Polina. He was no fool and knew exactly that his relationship with the rest of the team was ludicrously bad. They didn't like him nor did they really respect him. He didn't need that to sink even lower just because some Esper wished to dig into his head and find out about some of the things he had done. Images flashed through his mind as he thought about it, the horrors of Sachsenhausen, his atrocities in the Balkans, drinking beer with Dirlewanger. Yes, he definitely didn't need the team to know about any of this before the war had ended and he probably faced trial.

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Looking on in a mixed feeling of childlike bewilderment and wonder -as only one so new to the strangeness of this world as Jerome- could, he smiled and began to walk towards the vehicle of his choice, if it could even be called that. It was, for all intents and purposes, a rug. He wasn't one to ever let up a chance at something new be experienced in his life, but there was almost a whimsical thought perpetuating through every minute observation of the tapestry. From the two -of what he figured were to serve as- headlights, to the many sangbags piled up and around the carpet, he wondered as to how to control it. Already he saw another man being practically dragged over by the Frenchwoman from the briefing. The light witch, or magician, or illusionist- however she considered herself.

Making his way over, he slid Durendal into a more comfortable position behind his back and gave himself a momentary once over mid-step to make sure there wasn't anything he'd been neglecting. The dark browns of the leather jacket he'd managed to collect before heading out seemed to shine in the desert sun, not that it was of much concern to him. Hanging off of his other shoulder, the leather straps of the Enfield seemed to be digging into virgin muscle. He probably needed to shift around Durendal more often than he did, but he'd grown so accustomed to having the blade slung to the right shoulder and around his waist, he'd simply not considered it. He still hadn't quite gotten down the hang of firing an Enfield, even in the time he'd taken to acquaint himself to it's operation with the armorer back in England. Now here he was about to go into battle with only the minimal understanding he'd retained from basic combat training stateside.

Straightening out his gear as he approached, he brought himself to a lazy lean on his right leg while he fiddled with his coat, trying to unbutton it enough to appreciate the slight draft being brought about by the passing of aircraft overhead and vehicles nearby," you all wouldn't happen to have room on this here, carpet, would you? I don't quite know what to expect, but I assume it drives well if you two were so keen on obtaining it?"

The young man gave a friendly smile as he began to set down his equipment, pausing only slightly as his hand brushed over his blade's sheath-straps. A chill ran through his spine as he gave a quick concerned glance at the leather and then dismissed the thought. If anything he just wasn't used to Durendal sulking like it apparently had been since the trip through the Ley... whatever that was.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am

"Oh hell yeah!"

Willow didn't need to be told twice as she bolted off toward the jeep. It was a already shaping up to be a good op for her. She got a new toy, and she got to blow some stuff up. Being out and about now with an objective to work toward made her feel alive again. Training was monotonous and always a stretch for it's length of time, but a real mission was exciting. It could be just a recon patrol, but at least she wouldn't have to worry about not keeping up appearances and keeping busy all the time because the CO was watching. Well, she wasn't a slacker by nature, but she liked to take things easy at these times. Following the LRDG would be a nice change of pace from sitting in that stuffy office. She pulled her new tanker goggles down and wrapped her face in a tan cloth that went down into her shirt jacket, where she pulled out a loose hay strand and tossed it out the side.

"Alright, let's do it!"
Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Riysa
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Riysa » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:20 am

Ley Chamber
London, UK

Haitham silently clutched his trophy Beretta 38, one of the few things he had been able to keep after being inducted into the unit. He felt numb all over, still processing the events that led up to this. What had transpired was truly, in every sense of the word, a mess.

His single mistake that briefing, he realized, was that in his tiredness and anger, he showed that French sharnouta that she had gotten under his skin. She was the one who held all the cards here; the man Fleming was no more than a figurehead, it seemed - if not a willing accomplice. By lashing out, he'd written her a blank check to do whatever she wanted.

And whatever she wanted, she did. She'd made a game out of it, ritualistically taking apart his uniform, and dressing him up like a child's dollie with a strange intensity. It was God's blessing that his mushaf - his pocket copy of his religious texts - was hidden in his room, for he was certain she would've defiled it too. But, he remained silent through it all, acting as if a mask of iron was over his face, not letting her get anything more out of him.

After that, Captain Beecher had soiled his face even more. Haitham had been tempted to say something too, but he caught himself in time. It hurt to acknowledge it, but despite the additional humiliation, Beecher wasn't wrong - he had stepped out of line. So he remained silent too. At least Beecher had answered his questions.

He shifted a bit, feeling the new British-made webbing, with its two large SMG magazine pouches at the front. It was certainly different, but surprisingly, not bad. In addition to his trophy Beretta 38 with six magazines and bayonet, he also carried a Vis pistol with a couple of magazines. He'd gotten the former from a trade with some Italian soldiers on the Eastern Front, while the latter was issued to him as the assortment of "expendable" weaponry the Nazis gave their second-line and auxiliary troops. Rounding it out were a ton of grenades, 2 Mills, 4 No. 69s, and a pair of Hawkins charges; he had learned in Crete how important having a plentiful supply of explosives was. Last but not least, of course, were his personal items - his religious texts in a pocket-book, and a khanjar dagger from back home. Both had been with him through this war so far, and by God's will, Iridelle hadn't found them that night. He hid them carefully in his webbing - she wouldn't find them until the shooting started.

That was an idea to stay sane - pretend as if he was back home, still under occupation, hiding smuggled weapons from the darak. It was just like that, except the darak and police chief were now one person.

As Haitham entered the chamber, he noticed some odd stares from the mages at work there. Could they tell that he was a hexenjager, had they heard about the events of the briefing, or perhaps it was his looks? Iridelle took the time to coo over him, trying to rub it in even more. He blocked her out. Captain Beecher quickly cut her off, bringing a welcome end to her antics for now. He said nothing to Beecher either, but he felt thankful - the Captain still helped him out even after the briefing incident.

He stood around, waiting for the team to form up. He began to wonder what his new "comrades" thought of him too. Certainly, they'd be wondering if he was actually loyal to the Allied cause. They probably thought he was undisciplined too, a loose cannon. Maybe some even agreed with the French woman.

A bottle brought him out of his reverie. It was the brown-headed teen named Anna, trying to hand over some medical supplies. She seemed upset.

"I'm sure this won't come as any consolation, but God is kind and favours the good. Don't take those who do ill to you to heart. They just do not know how to understand others better. Umm...Just don't worry about her, alright,"

For a moment, Haitham felt embarrassed by himself - the incident was bad enough such that a girl several years younger was awkwardly trying to console him. By God, this shouldn't have to happen - he had survived a war up until now, he could handle this conflict without making a scene.

He broke his visage, lightly smiling back at her, carefully taking his share of the equipment. "Thank you, anisa." He wasn't feeling like speaking further, but he hoped that she understood his gratitude.

"It's time to go." Someone said. Instantly, things got weird - lights, chanting, and a big hole opening up in the ceiling. Believe it or not, they were heading to the front lines now.

Well, for everything that happened through life, God had made a purpose behind it. It was very likely. He'd be patient, and stay true to his original convictions as best as he could for this mission, and think about the French woman later.

"In the name of God, with whose Name nothing on Earth or in the Heavens can harm, and He is the All-Hearing, All-Knowing." Haitham uttered a prayer in Arabic, as the vortex sucked him up.

FOB
Cairo, Egypt

Darkness.

Haitham's parachutist training came into play as he landed on his feet, rolling forward and going prone into the hay, sub-machinegun at the ready. He had just been on a terrifying, fantastical journey, seeing bizarre and horrifying things at every stop before landing in this dark room, wherever it was. Had he been the only one? It wasn't an experience he wanted to have again.

He heard and felt the others scramble around him as they too fell out of the vortex. There was no time to think about it, they had be delivered to some unknown, potentially hostile place.

A vehicle popped up. Lights turned on. A figure appeared in the background. he pointed his M38 at it, his finger off the trigger, but ready to fire. That figure resolved into a woman. A woman wearing a British uniform. This woman's name was Naomi, and apart from obviously liking to make a dramatic entry, she was going to be their liaison for this mission. Well, they had made it to their destination without a problem; Haitham picked himself up off the ground, slinging his SMG, looking at the woman. Something about her was different, and he tried to figure out what it was.

"Almani." He realized what accent she had - she was German. And, as indicated by the others in the team, she was Jewish. That explained why she was on the side of the British, and why she was being attached as an asset. A yahudi, hmm? He didn't have any experience with the German Jews, but as long as they were like the ones in the Hara back home, there wouldn't be a problem. If they were like the ones brought from overseas by the colonialists however...then God was trying to test his patience.

He looked upwards, as the truck came by. The vast, majestic desert dawn, framed by the sounds of war and the smell of gasoline and mazut, captivated him. It was like he had come home again, even if Cairo's climate was different than what he was used to. All that was left was for Baba and Yamo (Dad and Mom) to show up with some fresh oranges from the house. If he had the time, he should write them a letter, letting them know where he was - the Arab world kept pulling him back!

"WAIT, ROBERT WAS A WOMAN?!"

Haitham fought to prevent a laugh from escaping, but a smile cracked open on his face. His spirits began to lift for the first time since the incident. Perhaps this mission wouldn't be so bad after all - he might even have some fun.

"I will ride on the Willys automobile." Haitham said, pointing towards the jeep. "I can talk better than anyone with any of the tribes we might find, and I can help with navigation. Also." A faint smile appeared."The carpet won't take off with me, an exorcist, on it."

Having broken free from Iridelle's influence for that moment, he ran off to the Willis, dropping his ruck into the back, and climbing onto the machine gunner's spot.

"I am ready."

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 am

Sonitusia wrote:"If I may, is there anyone here I may speak to on regards to armor maintenance?!" Cheung called out, a little out of character for her to be shouting such requests, but I suppose she's a little too exhausted to exit the vehicle.

Cairo, Egypt

"Oit, o'er here miss," a Briton called out, briskly waving an arm to catch our attention, wearing standard battledress but with rolled up sleeves, oil and grease apparent. He seemed to be part of the on-site maintenance crew in general, the rest of the lads seemingly working on various other machines in the hanger. I turned to face the captain, who nodded gently before I hopped out of my seat. Patting down my uniform, I made my way towards the man, somewhat older than me but not by much. He held himself in a sort of swagger, typical of soldiers from non-European theaters.

"A-Aloha, Konani Sanderson, You-Es Army Engineers," I introduced myself, holding my hand out for a shake, "We served in Burma; I'm the Iron Weasel's caretaker." With a raise of an eyebrow, the man shook my hand with a firm grip, replied with a brief, "Jacob Evans. did'n expect anotha islander," then pulling me a bit to get me to follow him as he let go. Jacob lead me through the workshop, various pieces of equipment piling around everywhere, the smell of welded metal wafting through the air.

It made me feel at home.

"Roite, so we got yours request before you arroived," he said, ducking underneath an iron beam that passed by in front of him, "Twenty five pounda, Brownin em-gee... Not sure how yours going to mount 'at on a smol thing like 'at, but I suppose you're the boss 'ere." We arrived at a small crate, where two large weapons laid in wait. A howitzer, still mounted on its wheeled carriage, and a heavy machine gun that rested on a small pile of hay. Surely not brand new, the MG looked to be a battle veteran, but beggars couldn't be choosers. They'd suit the function that our crew needed, and that was all that mattered.

"I know a thing or two in regards to technomagic, I just need your help with the basic welding and heavy lifting," I replied, patting the barrel of the much larger artillery piece, "We're going to make quite a motorized boom-stick."

Jacob shrugged, whistled to his mates, and we got to work...

Later

In no time, or at least it felt, the modifications were complete. The 75mm neatly packed into a crate to be shipped off to ordnance, now replaced with the prominent 25-pdr Mk. II with some shielding around it, and the M2HB Browning mounted to the rear of the vehicle on a flexible monopod. We also attached an earth spade that we took from an old bulldozer, to lessen the expected rocking should we fire the much bigger weapon.

"She's a monsta," Jacob muttered admirably, patting his hands together as we all took in our handywork, "Not somethin' you see 'erry day."

I nodded, watching as Cheung and Mohamad took their spots right away.

"Let's get going Konani!" Cheung hollered, starting up the engine for me without any issues, "We'll restock our ammunition at the next checkpoint, we're already being left behind here!"

"That's my cue," I stated, jogging up to the vehicle, "Thank you for your help, Jacob!"

"Bring 'er back in one piece, lass!"
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING

They say that in the great wars of NS Summer, there was one who did not fight with blood, but with iron. They named this one the Master of Tanks, and the thunderous sound of cannon and the rattling of machine guns could be heard far and wide, the crossroads before the capital of CotM being defended by this valiant one until it stood alone. Shitposters layed in droves, and entire army having been slain by the might of Sonitusia, Master of Tanks, Commandant of Iron, and Slinger of Shells.

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 pm

The browned, battered man who called himself Skipper told Esther that he had her "frenchie special water" on his truck. Matt smiled ruefully. I wonder if Esther would still be able to make golems with it if that was all she knew about it. Is sanctity in the eye of the beholder? The Minuteman cast a reflective glance beyond the airfield: the endless line of dunes, stretching away to the powder-blue skyline. Perhaps. No less real, though. I feel something holy in this place. Matt thought of Moses, of Sinai.

Then he didn't anymore, because Skipper laughed at Clark for calling him a desert cabbie. "Indeed I am, old chap," the British officer replied. "We like overcharging Yankees and dropping them at the farthest oasis where they barter us the most camels for them. It's not like a Rodolfo Valentino movie but it's close."

Matthew Beecher had spent the first sixteen years of his life in a village in the Burmese jungle. He came from a family of New England aristocrats who regarded motion pictures as crass and lowbrow. He had only the faintest idea of who Rodolfo Valentino was, but he laughed along. For some reason, Matt realized, he associated the Italian name with screaming maidens in harem trousers. The Minuteman looked once again at the desert horizon, and wondered how to square that lurid absurdity with the sere vastness before him.

One of the Asians who crewed the team's armored vehicle shouted about needing to talk to someone regarding armor maintenance. A British engineer approached, and the two busied themselves with replacing several of the Iron Weasel's weapons. Matt wasn't completely sure why the work was necessary, but he didn't feel inclined to intervene. I'm not an armor officer. I'm barely qualified to be an infantry officer, by most professional standards. Best, then, to let the experts do their work.

Meanwhile, Naomi Bitterman looked up at Matt. She shook dust out of her hair. She stammered. Skipper watched, and smirked. Heim watched, and rolled her eyes.

Once, when Matt was much younger and he had enjoyed infuriating his father and watching the hips of the village girls move beneath their sarongs, when his hands had been soft and his jokes swift, because the world had been a forgiving place to him and he knew it would not take offence - once, Matt would have known how to respond to this situation. He would have smiled, and poked fun, and behind the joke there would have been an invitation. Once.

Now, Matt's hands were like steel, and no jokes would come. He looked away, and waited for the moment to pass. It did.

Naomi said that the team had special vehicles - additional vehicles, other than the Iron Weasel. They would use these vehicles to travel to Alexandria with Skipper's team as an escort. They would arrive in the early morning, when it was expected that the battle would begin, allowing them to slip through the enemy's lines amid the chaos and advance to the Qattara Depression.

Matt shaded his eyes and glanced at the sun. It was moving down in the sky, but it was still well above the horizon. That meant a journey of at least twelve hours before early morning. He nodded to Naomi. "Thank you. I understand the plan."

Heim was already staring at the vehicles. Matt saw her eyes move, countless tiny flickers of the red irises, and he knew that she was calculating. Prophesying? Heim said that that was just a show, psychological ploys to fool the simple-minded. Matt thought that Heim might be more sure of the difference than she should be. In the end, Heim simply announced: "Willow, we take that Willis MB. You drive."

"Oh hell yeah!" Willow cried, and leaped into the driver's seat of the modified Jeep: Matt could see a rear-mounted .50-cal, and a cloth roof for the front two seats, and he expected that other changes had been made as well. Willow wrapped her face in a khaki cloth and pulled on a pair of driving goggles. "Let's do it," she declared, and Matt covered his smile with one hand. That confidence, that reckless exuberance. It was good to see the old Willow again.

Next to the Jeep was a beautifully polished motorcycle with heavy tires and an attached sidecar. Matt saw Abraham van Helsing exchange a significant glance with Ariel Remington. Then Abe walked over to the motorcycle and clambered into the sidecar, his lanky form folded up with his knees almost touching his shoulders. For her part, Ariel hopped on the motorcycle. She looked at Abe, and Matt's enhanced hearing discerned her words: "Poppy, you look cute in the sidecar."

Oh. Matt blinked. For a moment, he simply wondered how he had missed something so obvious. And then he thought of the vampires and the werewolves ahead, the panzerhunds and the SS, the wounds that healed and the ones that only looked like they had healed, and promises that could not be kept, and potential that would not be realized, and Matt felt certain that he would throw up, because the two of them would be good together. Christ, they really would. And there could be no guarantee.

Matt thought of Montana: the empty sky, the silent presence of God. There was never a guarantee. He looked back at Abe and Ariel, and screwed up all his courage until he had the strength to smile.

Polina spoke with her mind, and said that she would stay in the main truck to facilitate communications. She patted Dmitry's back and waved to Zhao, and climbed in next to Skipper. Dmitry followed her. Matt's blue eyes moved between the two Russians and their Chinese comrade. I don't like the idea of all of them together in the same truck. Matt had read the newspapers, and read between the lines, and he knew what Stalin was. When Polina is with us, she sees people, not ideologies. I don't know if that will still be true if she's surrounded by other Communists.

But the Marxists were not alone in their truck. Anna climbed in after Polina, determination in her movements, and Matt felt himself relax a little. She's going to hold it together. And Milena painstakingly followed Anna. Matt saw the girl thrust a notepad at Polina, and heard Milena snap: "Under no circumstances are you and your pal to talk to me with your brain because I will shut it out." The Minuteman pinched the bridge of his nose: Polina was the team's most powerful telepath, and the lynchpin of the team's communications. Milena's paranoia was understandable. It was also liable to get her teammates killed.

But Milena was fragile, and Matt was not inclined to force a confrontation. Instead, he simply made eye contact with Polina where she sat in the back of the British truck, and focused his thoughts like light through a microscope: Do what you have to do. If Milena creates an issue, I will handle it.

In a crisis, Matt knew, Milena might react violently to hearing Polina's voice in her head. His approach could backfire. That's a risk we are going to have to take.

Christ, I hope this is the right decision.

Then it was the turn of the Axis defectors. Silently, Antoniya followed Milena into the truck, and Matt rubbed the back of his neck. Well, at least the girl has one friend on the team now. Dietrich moved as if to do the same, but then abruptly stopped, and spun on his heel, and stalked away to a different truck.

There could be any number of reasons for that. Matt figured that, most likely, Dietrich had realized that he didn't actually want to sit between Dmitry and Polina. But the Minuteman still didn't like the idea of Dietrich as the sole passenger in a separate truck, without anyone else from SHADOCOM to keep an eye on him. Maybe I should go with him.

Matt was Harvard-educated. As soon as the idea occurred to him, he saw its futility. I can't lead this team and babysit General Haegler at the same time. Dietrich would have to ride by himself. Hopefully, he can't do too much damage surrounded by British commandos.

Christ, I hope
this is the right decision, too.

Next to the trucks was a Persian carpet. Matt had seen one before, in a professor's home in Cambridge. This one was laden with headlights, an umbrella cover, and some kind of brass telescope-like weapon protected by sandbags. Iridelle waved one graceful hand at it. "This finely made carpet hails from a kindly Baghdad workshop which allegedly follows the alchemical recipe laid out by Vizier Jafar ibn Yahya 1000 years ago. The gun doubles as a telescope, and as an Archimedes- type heat ray." The French mage shot Haitham a nasty smile. "And as everything good in the Orient, it's actually Persian. Etienne, take position on the magnifier gun."

I told her that we use each other's names here, Matt thought, and anger lodged in the base of his throat, as if he had swallowed it in a peach pit. But before the Minuteman could speak, a young man in civilian clothes approached the carpet. He carried an Enfield rifle and what looked like a medieval broadsword, and he asked to join Iridelle. His accent suggested an origin in the American South. Matt realized that he had no idea who the man was, and anger dug a little deeper into his throat. Fleming can't send us out here with people we've known for less than five minutes. This is amateur hour.

Haitham, to his credit, managed to extricate himself. "I will ride on the Willys automobile," he announced. "I can talk better than anyone with any of the tribes we might find, and I can help with navigation. Also, the carpet won't take off with me, an exorcist, on it."

So the carpet flies, Matt thought. At some level, in the same corner of his mind that half knew who Rodolfo Valentino was, that did not surprise him. Before Iridelle could object, the Minuteman nodded. "Makes sense to me," he told Haitham. "Get on it."

The Arab raced over to the Jeep, and clambered into its back seat to man the machine gun. For his part, Matt turned to the young man who had volunteered to ride on the carpet. "I'm Matthew Beecher," he said calmly. "Captain, US Army." Matt's blue eyes studied the man before him. He looks nervous. Out of his depth. Matt nodded to himself. Aren't we all. And when the Minuteman spoke again, there was less anger and more sympathy in his voice. "Good to have you with us. Stay focused, listen to what Heim and Polina and I tell you, and you'll be just fine. Now get on that brass contraption over there." Matt nodded at the magnifier gun and raised his eyebrows at Iridelle: a challenge, a warning. "I trust that satisfies your need for fire support?"

That left only Matt himself still without a vehicle. He spotted one opening left in the back seat of the Jeep, next to Haitham, and walked briskly over. After some difficulty, the captain managed to squeeze himself in: he sat perched on the back bumper of the Jeep, with his tailbone pressed against the spare tire, and one knee resting on the .50-cal mount, and the other boot braced against the back of Heim's seat. Hardly secure, Matt thought with some amusement, but I'm pretty sure that it takes more than falling out of an automobile to break my bones at this point.

The convoy was ready to get underway. Heim warned everyone to pack food and water. Matt had plenty of both in his haversack and canteens. Heim looked over her shoulder at Matt. "Captain," she said, "you give the go signal."

Matt looked around at the trucks, the motorcycle, the carpet. He saw Milena's scowl, Anna's frail determination, Haitham's barely-controlled resentment. We're not prepared for what comes next. We're not stable enough, well-trained enough, well-informed enough.

And we never will be. And that's the point.

Was it perverse, Matt wondered, to find such peace in that?

The readiness is all.

Matthew Beecher raised one massive hand, and then swung it down in an unmistakable signal. "Let's go."
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Alexandria, 23rd October, noon

Iridelle did not take Haytham's self-determination well. The carpet hovered much above the vehicle column, beyond talking distance, harboring the silent fuming of the French maga. Jerome himself ended up as a passive victim of the ordeal, absorbing all the bad vibes and half-muttered profanities that the illusionist supplied during the travel. Polina could feel them, barely, as if some sort of runic code or otherwise mental cipher was jamming her thoughts. Probably the bourgeois magic of the Lodges was starting to adapt to the new reality of psykers. She found solace in talking with Dima, and silent smiles and nods characterized her for the entire journey. Heim was similarly silent, her mind assorted in the most varied thoughts and projections, buried in the files and ranks of letters which composed the lengthy mission dossiers. Regardless, she wasn't sure if she'd have found the will to talk anyway, dossier or not. Abe exchanged small talk with Ariel over her bike, and her other stays abroad, but it melted away in the hot morning and the buzz of engines.

Most of the journey to El Alamein was on the great sea-side highway the British had established years before, or so Naomi said over the group radio. Unlike the others, she hadn't lost occasions to talk. Sometimes guiding the team in the intricacies of their new host country, sometimes recalling her life on the coast of Mandate Palestine. Heim had rolled her eyes at that mention, for it explained the quirky Germanic crisp to her speech quite thoroughly. This was one of those who fled, preferring struggle to death. The notion of living in a desert encampment surrounded by not too-welcoming local inhabitants didn't feel that much different from what was happening back in Europe, Heim thought. But to each his own.

The convoy stopped at a depot in Alexandria to stockpile supplies for the long haul, refuel, give some time to the Iron Weasel crew to further customize their vehicle for the operation, and most importantly, to wait out for the latter hours of the day. "It's better if personnel which is usually associated with covert operations isn't seen by daytime reconnaissance planes next to the El Alamein zone. Ahnenerbe expect you to come, now or later. The battle will be a good diversion to their assets."

Ahnenerbe. Heim had already read that name in the dossiers. A quick calculation gave her the feeling she would have seen it prop up often. 'Ancestral Heritage'. She felt her hair rising up. An irrational reaction, she dismissed. Naomi told them to set up camp, take a nap or two, cook a meal. They couldn't visit the centuries old city right next to them because the necessities of war came above that. Polina looked disappointed, after spending hours ogling the bright mediterranean sea: She probably had thought up a dreamy escapade on the beaches. Abe lamented the loss of the library, like any college student worth its salt.

Iridelle descended from her carpet, after gazing at the spires of Alexandria. She gazed at Ariel in a look of envy, Abe could discern, before dedicating herself to other matters. The young Van Helsing disembarked from the sidecar, aching, his mouth wavering at a not too far smell coming from the crowded boroughs outside the depot. Proud of his Babylon Pin, Abraham made his way in the moslem city.

He came back a quarter of an hour later, a smelly wrap or two held between his arms, the aroma of hot spices and roasted meat floating around him. Regardless of the allure of the delicatessen, Abraham looked particularly defeated. "Did you get mugged, sir?" Naomi asked.
"...Did I? I was told the average cost of a shawarma floats around 25 pounds a piece and I was offered a discount of about 5 pounds which I initially deemed appropriate".

Naomi's usually dignified expression widened into an hearty smile followed by one of the most genuine laughs Heim had heard in her life. When she learned the context, even the stoic Pathfinder couldn't help but snicker acidly. "Mister Helsing, your expertise in vampire hunting may be crucial, one cannot say the same regarding your hunt for deals". Abe bit his lip, before glancing at the wraps. "Well, consider them a gift."

"I am not hungry." Iridelle announced, glancing at the scene, before retreating to the tent she had cajoled Jerome into setting up around their shared carpet. Heim rolled her eyes, a gesture she had started doing routinely, before grasping one of the smelly wraps brought by Abe, inspecting the content, unwrapping the meat and unsheathing her combat knife from its holster. With a precise maneuver, a large slab was slice out from it. Heim let it fall in a roll of rough bread Abe had brought with him. "Mister Sayya, please accept this." she offered the bun to the Syrian man. Heim tried to be detached, but her firm face betrayed an uneasiness. Especially when she could tell that Arc-En-Ciel was silently observing the scene from her tent.

I hope I am doing this right. Heim glanced at Beecher with the corner of her eyes, seeking feedback.

"Dima, Dima, check this!" Polina thought excitedly, having run off one of the nearby streets. Before her comrade could react, the esper swung a sack of couscous on his lap, smiling triumphantly. "We have lunch and dinner now!."

Eventually, the time for nourishment and rest came to an end, and the group broke camp.

South of El Alamein, 23rd October, evening

Cautiously keeping their headlights off to avoid attracting attention from any night recon brave enough to challenge the night fighters of the RAF, the convoy rolled at the rearguard of a massive collection of barrack-tents, and resting heavy vehicles stretching kilometers in length. Beyond that, were the trenches. And beyond those, the enemy soil. The tender light of oil lamps bathed the scene, as the trucks of the Long Range Desert Patrol came to a final stop. "We're on the ramparts, gents." Skipper announced. "Leave thy steeds." he added with a poetic vein, chuckling. The team stomped their feet on tender sand. Polina smiled at the new sensation. Heim tensed the muscles of her legs, trying to understand how to keep her posture in such a different ground.

Naomi motioned at the group for attention. "We'll soon link up with elements from the British 7th Armored Division, including the experimental Kingforce squad. Heavy armor will stage a diversionary attack while the main battle rages on the coast. This will also permit your team to insert through vehicular means. The 44th Infantry Division and a Free French force will provide foot support to the assault. It's important you make acquaintance with your escort on the battle proper. You will be facing two Axis armored divisions, the Italian Ariete, and the 21st Panzer."

With those words, Naomi motioned at *something* in the darkness. The hellish noise of an engine starting up thundered in the night, then the sound of threads. Emerging from the pale moonlight, a
metallic behemoth adorned by shining chivalric shields and festoons rolled in, exposing its side to the awaiting commandos. Abraham noticed an heraldic emblem emblazoned on the shields, the one of a roaring rampant lion standing up amongst flames. It felt similar, for a reason.

"Furthermore," Naomi continued, "It's likely the Tre Stelle taskforce of the Italian equivalent of Ahnenerbe, Cabinet RS-33, will be probably deployed on the ground. I trust Fleming already informed you about the risk they pose. Any questions?"

Heim looked down. We are about to get in their first, real, large-scale battle in the war.

Even through her calculations, she felt fear.
Last edited by Agritum on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:59 am

Agritum wrote:Alexandria, 23rd October, noon

He came back a quarter of an hour later, a smelly wrap or two held between his arms, the aroma of hot spices and roasted meat floating around him. Regardless of the allure of the delicatessen, Abraham looked particularly defeated. "Did you get mugged, sir?" Naomi asked.
"...Did I? I was told the average cost of a shawarma floats around 25 pounds a piece and I was offered a discount of about 5 pounds which I initially deemed appropriate".

Naomi's usually dignified expression widened into an hearty smile followed by one of the most genuine laughs Heim had heard in her life. When she learned the context, even the stoic Pathfinder couldn't help but snicker acidly. "Mister Helsing, your expertise in vampire hunting may be crucial, one cannot say the same regarding your hunt for deals". Abe bit his lip, before glancing at the wraps. "Well, consider them a gift."

"Poppy," chimed Ariel with a ginger smile over the poor boy's misfortune, "you should know better than to go out alone to haggle. The locals will wring off every cent you got because they know you have the money. I wouldn't even trust my guide to get me a good price. Next time, should stick to the local European establishments. At worst... try to look the part."

The bazaars, for the most part, were quite the eyeopener for the visitors, though only Ariel appeared to have bought anything of value. Money, to her, was not an issue, though her missions meant that she often left home with nothing more than a reasonable pittance. Milena, on her part, mostly stayed away, trying to avoid the heat altogether. Anna, however, was in a very different site...

"When he [Joseph] arose, he took the young Child and His mother by night and departed for Egypt, and was there until the death of Herod the Great, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt I called My Son." - Matthew 2:12–23

Egypt, the refuge of the Lord and the Holy Mother... I never imagined I would set foot here. I did not even believe I would ever set foot anywhere outside the colony. The more I think about, the more I regret coming here. I know I am not here to indulge in travel and enjoyment, but the thrill of setting foot in the lands spoken in the Book... it excites me so.

I... suppose I should have known better when my expectations of Egypt thus deviates from the images of millenia past. Everywhere, spires of sandstone and mortar blared a prayer in local tongue, words praising a prophet who, by all accounts, would have been condemned for heresy by the Christ-folk. But the word of Islam had long taken hold on the lands once trodden by the Lord and Savior. Perhaps it may be too much to hope for the Light to return to these good people, and I suspect they would not take kindly to any insult to their faith too.

But wandering the vast, colourful bazaars, I chanced on a strange, bunker-like temple. No... that ain't no temple. Could it be?

Stepping inside the church, the first thing that hit me was its... extravagance? Its chandeliers, the mosaics, its stone edifices... They all seemed excessive, anathema even. But to deny its beauty... how could I claim otherwise? I can feel it all around me, a facade emanating with its masons' embrace of God. And this was no ruin, no... This was a sanctuary for living men. While I see but one or two at the benches in private prayer, I could already imagine a crowded Sunday session.

God is alive and well.

Mystified, I took to the seats myself as I gazed upon the edifice of the Last Supper. Did it seem strange for me to be here, a white girl in a sea of desert folk? I tried my hardest to hold back my tears. I felt truly torn. How could this be sacrilege? Even I would not deign to think that its builders are damned in the next life for what our folk would consider 'excess'. But daylight is waning, and I have limited time to ponder such issues. Instead, I whispered a simple prayer to the Lord, one of a hope I had found lacking among everyone.

"Dear Lord in Heaven, I beg of you," I said to Him, "give us the will to survive."

I would not ask for the enemy's death. I am sure my teammates demanded that of Him more than I could stand. I would not ask for their spirits saved. Nothing I saw at Warsaw pointed to much hope for that. I will, however, ask him to protect us, those who fight so others could survive. I... will not claim I have the will to kill. But I will keep my teammates safe, even if I have to soil my hands to do so. I only hope that day never comes.

Perhaps I hope too much.

As dusk drew over the Saharan sands, the team was already under preparation for the strike ahead. Milena, while still reeling a bit from the day heat, appeared to be in fighting condition, though her supply of water had apparently drained considerably. Anna appeared lost in thoughts since her encounter, though not due to fear, for a change. Ariel, with her leather helmet and googles, remained focused as ever. Her sword stowed away with Abe in the side car, she had only her trusty pistol to keep her safe should anything go wrong.

Agritum wrote:Naomi motioned at the group for attention. "We'll soon link up with elements from the British 7th Armored Division, including the experimental Kingforce squad. Heavy armor will stage a diversionary attack while the main battle rages on the coast. This will also permit your team to insert through vehicular means. The 44th Infantry Division and a Free French force will provide foot support to the assault. It's important you make acquaintance with your escort on the battle proper. You will be facing two Axis armored divisions, the Italian Ariete, and the 21st Panzer."

With those words, Naomi motioned at *something* in the darkness. The hellish noise of an engine starting up thundered in the night, then the sound of threads. Emerging from the pale moonlight, a
metallic behemoth adorned by shining chivalric shields and festoons rolled in, exposing its side to the awaiting commandos. Abraham noticed an heraldic emblem emblazoned on the shields, the one of a roaring rampant lion standing up amongst flames. It felt similar, for a reason.

Parking the motorcycle beside the heavy-hulled Churchill, Ariel poked her head forward as she tried to make out the heraldry. If it looked familiar to Abe, then the identical silver markings crafted on the rainguard of Ariel's sword would have confirmed his suspicions.

"Poppy," Ariel queried, eyes opening up in astonishment at the tank's shield, "is that what I think it is?"

"They told me there'd be a super-secret mission here, Big Sister," another, more juvenile voice soon spoke, "I should have guessed you'd be the one called in."

Looking down on her from the commander's hatch was a young girl, with khaki-blonde hair and light brown eyes. Climbing out of the turret, she appeared no taller than four-foot-six (139 cm), with a child-like persona to match. Giving a smile, she suddenly leapt off into the surprised sister's arms as she embraced the more statuesque half. Collapsing on the sand as the full weight of the 'child' came upon her, Ariel could not help but laugh.

"Poppy, get off me," she begged the small-sized tank commander, "I didn't know you'll be here."

"Funny, coming from you, Big Sister," the young girl chimed, "they don't call you the Flame of Britannia for nothing." Peering at Abe, she took a moment to observe his stature as she asked in a blunt, innocent-sounding voice, "is that your man, Big Sister?"

"Alice, that's my colleague," Ariel insisted playfully, a hint of annoyance in her voice, "no need to be rude. Oh yes, Abe, did I tell you before? This is my sister, Alice. She's a mundane, much like Willow and the others, but she knows a thing or two about the blade too, and a lot more on tanks. And if you're wondering when we started hiring children, no. Poppy likes to call me the elder sister because I look the part, even though she's a year older."

"Arie," Alice blurted in a pout, "why'd you tell him! I was going to make it a surprise!"

"This is no time for surprises, Poppy," Ariel responded cheekily, finally getting to her feet to dust herself off, "besides, wouldn't want any nasty surprises for the rest of the lot, would we?"
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am

Agritum wrote:Alexandria, 23rd October, noon

October 23nd, 1942

Alexandria / El Alamein

The trip from Cairo to the outskirts of El Alamein was inconsequential, and had only three notable highlights. The first was the long chat Dmitry had with Polina while on the truck itself, getting up to speed both with how she's been holding up and what the team had been doing before he was assigned here - as it turns out, this was only their second real mission, and the first one involved recruiting Heim - that intense looking woman buried in mission dossiers - in Nazi-occupied Warsaw. Fine enough. The second was Naomi channeling her inner tourist guide and monologuing through the microphone about the history and intricacies of British Egypt or her life in Mandate Palestine. So this means Naomi is Jewish - it explains her oddly Germanic accent, at least.

The third was the stop in Alexandria to wait for the sun to set and hijinks there - although Dima didn't actually participate in any of those. He wasn't interested in going to the nearby boroughs nor eyeing the pristine Mediterranean Sea nearby - instead, he focused on more practical matters. The area around the convoy was plain and flat, with little to nothing obscuring vision or flight either in the air or on the ground - if all these trucks and motorcycles weren't around, it'd pretty much a perfect rocket test site. And even now, it's still a pretty damn good one, Dmitry just needed to get a bit of a distance from the depot first.

Building a psionic construct of a RS-132 rocket had been so ingrained in Dmitry's mind by now that he could probably make one if waken up on 3 AM with a hundred Nazis on the tail, though creating and keeping track of all the moving parts and different substances necessary was as taxing on the esper as always. Now came the fun part - improvement. The RS-132 was an effective design and a gem of Soviet engineering, but as Dmitry got to personally learn while using it back in Moscow, it was basic, needed a direct hit to punch through German armor, and highly inaccurate at long distances. A field improvement to the missle had been on Dmitry's mind ever since the Red Army drove those bastards away from the gates of the capital. Obviously, the accuracy of unguided rockets is going to be be less than perfect no matter what, that's what "unguided" posits... but a higher payload is definitely necessary. Unfortunately, adding an even slightly larger warhead requires a larger fuel tank, and that requires a redesign of the rocket - especially since Dima wanted to add some of the conceots described in Tsiolkovsky's treatise, such as gas shudders and fuel pumps to increase flight effectiveness - but you can't add too much weight to the rocket or else it's just going to be cumbersome... Dmitry's one hand was busy writing down some basic calculations in his notebook while the other was lifted up and disassembling the upper half of the rocket. Should be quick and-

Dima, Dima, check this!

Polina's voice. Of course.

"What's happe-" Dmitry muttered, standing up, but his sentence got cut short when a bag of couscous suddenly flew his way. The esper, thankfully, reacted in time and caught the sack, his expression souring for a few seconds. He was working on something important, after all. But hey, he was pretty hungry, so what's there to really be mad about?

"Um, uh... thanks, Polina Apollinarovna." Dmitry muttered. The psionic rocket construct vanished as if it was never there in the first place, and the esper sat down to have a snack.

Agritum wrote:South of El Alamein, 23rd October, evening

Wolfenium wrote:
Agritum wrote:South of El Alamein, 23rd October, evening

They're here, at last. No more monologuing from Naomi. As soon as the door of the truck opened, Dmitry's boots plopped down on the soil of the outskirts of El Alamein. It might take a little while to get used to walking and fighting on the sand of the Sahara, but Dmitry didn't mind it too much. The culmination of the North African campaign was about to take place before them - the Second Battle of El Alamein, as they say. The heavy vehicles and barrack tents lined up by the Commonwealth forces stretched to the horizon and indeed looked like an impressive force - however, Dmitry couldn't help but feel that this was just a mere skirmish compared to the Eastern Front.

Let's forget the SHADOCOM mission for a second and think about the greater picture. What was at stake here in El Alamein? The control of the Suez Canal, the Jews of Mandate Palestine, the oil of the Middle East... all of them were secondary objectives for the Axis. The subjugation of the great Soviet Union, the destruction of the world's only proletarian nation, the conquest of Europe the mass murder of millions of European peoples and the colonization of their former homes - that's what the real goals of the Axis were, and that's where the Soviet Union resisted them alone.

What he was getting at was that he really didn't feel too impressed by the sight before him, especially when he could be a part of something greater right now.

At least the first part of this mission is something I have actual experience in - fighting the Teutonic scourge, that is.

A heavy tank soon drove up to the commandos, with a petite, childlike female commander in the cockpit. What is it with children in these armies? First Milena, now this... Are they really that desperate for recruits?

Dmitry walked up to the Churchill tank - quite a massive boy, not gonna lie - and knocked on its armor plating a few times, as if it was a some sort of door. It didn't leave him impressed, either.

"What I see is a slow chunk of metal whose only purpose is to get ripped to bits by enemy artillery as it desperately longs for the days of World War One." the esper commented, turning towards the rest of the commandos. "You could have just built two T-34s out of the resources you wasted on this marvel of capitalist engineering."
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Riysa
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Riysa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Alexandria
Oct 23rd, 1942

The drive to Iskandariya had been largely peaceful. Nobody in the jeep had said anything, everyone seemingly preoccupied with the fight to come ahead, Haitham included, who instead preferred to bask in the Egyptian sunrise. Of course, that didn't mean everyone in the convoy felt the same way, by God no, the woman named Naomi hogged the radio the entire way through, talking about almost every possible topic. The word "Palestine" had caught his ear - so she was from Quds. He felt more uneasy after hearing her life story.

Finally, the group came to a stop outside the city. They had stopped to resupply and to avoid being detected ahead of time; Haitham happily approved, it was clear that concealing their approach from Axis recce would be vital their success. He jumped out of the jeep onto the sand, brushing the hem of his uniform, and stretching his legs. It hadn't been that long since he and his platoon defected, but all that had happened in-between made it feel like a lifetime ago.

It was good to be back, that was for sure.

Given so much free time, the members of the group went off to do their own thing. Some of them sat or socialized together, long-time friends in the unit. He sat by himself, not really knowing anyone, instead checking over his gear and giving his weapons a final clean before the battle. As he worked on his equipment, he started daydreaming, about days gone by and the path he took to now. Funny how life was like that; the last time he set foot in this land, he led his own platoon, a group of loyal and courageous men. Now, he was an outsider, a nobody, a grunt in this unit of special soldiers. Of course, he knew that he was expected to prove his worth, it shouldn't be any other way especially in a military outfit. But still, it stung, both his heart, and his pride. And he wasn't ashamed to admit that to himself.

He felt his spirits lessen, as he drifted further into his thoughts.

What about the ones he fought with? They were not merely men, or even fellow countrymen - they were his friends, too. There were 20 of them, who'd been with him every step of the way - Crete, Stalino, Rostov, all violent, heart-wrenching affairs. Ten of them that fateful night gave their lives to let him and the rest escape, believing in a righteous cause, that the Nazis were worse than anything any imperialist had yet done. Of the remainder that survived that night, they all disappeared - probably whisked off to some dreary POW camp. They too had believed in this same cause, and paid their freedom for it. It didn't feel right that they weren't here, by his side like always. He felt tears form in his eyes.

"May God have mercy on the souls of those who have raced us to the Afterlife, and may He protect and comfort the ones still alive. Amen." He prayed, trying to stop any tears from leaving his eye. There was a purpose behind all of this too; Haitham prayed too that he'd be guided to whatever it was.

The smell of food brought him out of his daydream, as he saw the man named Abraham stagger over with some cooked meat, wearing a confused expression on his head. Ha, this looked like it might be interesting. He slung his M38, walking to Abe and listening to what he and the others were saying.

A smile began to crack through his face, one of genuine amusement. He shook his head; Haitham felt sorry for Abe, but there was still something just a bit funny about falling for the oldest trick in the book. No doubt, his appearance had betrayed him to the shopkeepers, who had no qualms about exploiting the naivety of this foreigner.

"Mister Abraham...next time you want to buy something from the souqk, tell me and I will come with you." Haitham said, lightly patting Abe's shoulder in consolation.

To his side, the woman named Heim took one of the shawarma skewers and started shaving meat off of it into some bread, which she handed to him. For a split second he froze in surprise, but he recovered, accepting it graciously.

"Thank you very much, Miss Heim." He took a bite, the taste of the meat bringing back memories of before the war. It tasted great, like home. He quickly finished it, washing it down with some water from his canteen. "Let me hold it, so you can get your own." He offered.

Well, he was still an outsider. But, he thought happily, perhaps he wouldn't be one for much longer.

Haitham was surprised when he saw the tank roll up. Of all the things he expected to see supporting them, a light unit, a tank wasn't one of them. He had assumed that they'd break through directly to the objective, but now it was clear that it wasn't going to happen. Instead, someone up top had decided that they'd be thrown into this big battle.

He couldn't blame whoever gave the order, though - if he had a special missions unit designed specifically to fight the supernatural in the area, he'd sure as hell use them too. Back when he was on the other side, the Germans hadn't held back, so why should the British?

Hah! He was back in his element now, this sort of work was his bread and butter for his time in the Fallschirmjager. It felt strangely comforting knowing what to expect - the setup reminded him of the battles he participated before defection. Now he'd get to experience it from the other side.

"We have our guns and a tank. Do we have artillery with us as well?" He had mixed opinions on British panzers, and this tank crew seemed...nepotistic, but in a pitched battle, a tank was rarely bad. Artillery of any kind was even better.
Last edited by Riysa on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:58 am

Dietrich slept through much of their journey. He was old and he needed the rest afterall so that his body would be well rested and ready for action once the time came. Not to mention that in his sleep he could bring some order to his thoughts. He was in Africa again, no doubt about it. It was the battlefield he had last fought on, the battlefield with which he was still the most familiar. He wondered quietly in his sleep, of how much use his knowledge would be still be to him.

Well, it had helped him with atleast one thing. When they left for Alexandria, he requested that they stop by a church, a roman-catholic one if possible so that he could confess to the priest and ease his conscience before the mission. The files they had on him did indeed prove that he had been a roman-catholic believer although they also mentioned that he had stopped visiting churches or exhiting any signs of belief during the Great War. Granted though, he had betrayed his fatherland so maybe a new start was in order for which he first had to cleanse his conscience of the acts he had committed during both wars so far. Luckily Dietrich knew a church where he could go to. Back when he had still been with the Afrikakorps he had had contact with Count Almasy, a man who was very familiar with the Sahara desert and both Libya and Egypt. They had of course used his knowledge to the fullest back then to formulate battle strategies. And Almasy had told him that there were only two Roman-Catholic churches in Cairo and he was now heading straight to one of them.

The Church of Saint Therese of the Child Jesus in Cairo's Shoubra borough. It was a rather small church when compared with the churches he knew from europe. It definitely lacked the trademark belltowers that h was used to from the european churches. Anyway, he didn't wish to leave his squad waiting for too long so he decided to make it short. He left his weapons with the squad, stating that it would be sacrilegious to enter the church armed. He also left the Babel pin behind. He didn't trust the foul magic of this thing and didn't wish to have to use it unless absolutely necessary.

When he entered the church, wearing the garbs of the DAK, the priest looked at him with confusion before saying slightly puzzled in german:

"E-excuse me, I don't recall hearing about Rommel's Afrikakorps breaking through El-Alamein. Would you like to explain to me what this is supposed to be? If this is a joke then I find it to be in awfully bad taste."

Dietrich smiled a truly honest and relieved smile. Oh how good it felt to speak to a simple, mundane civilian and not some British interrogator or abnormal creature of the Masquerade. He made calming gestures with his hands as he approached the priest and said:

"I am sorry Pater but this is a military secret. Now, my time is short Pater and I would like to confess and attempt to purge my soul of the sins I have committed in the past."

The priest smiled at him and escorted him towards the confession booths where they both sat down. Dietrich took a deep breath before starting:

"It all started when I exploited man's greedy nature to bribe my way into the military's Alma Mater..."

Now as he slept inside the truck, he felt as though a large weight had been taken off his shoulders. A weight that he had carried around with him ever since that fateful night in November 1941. His thoughts drifted off towards his son...and his grandson...and his conscience bathed in the nice memories he had of raising these nice children, of giving them a childhood so infinitely better than his own had been. Yes, Dietrich slept well during their journey.

When they stopped in Alexandria, he did not join any group on their way into the city. He didn't want to visit the city with the uniform he was currently wearing. Jumping out a truck in front of a church in Cairo and entering the church was one thing, strolling through Alexandria in a uniform of the DAK was something different altogether. So he stuck to resting some more at the trucks. He could try and socialise with the rest of the squad but in all honesty, it felt like he would be wasting his breath doing so. No, he would needed to prove himself to them, after that he'd have the chance to talk with them and become a real part of the unit rather than an unwelcome curiosity attached to them.

Now, quite a bit later and under the cover of darkness, they made their way to El Alamein, the place where Rommel would once again attempt to break through towards the Suez. So they would attempt to break straight through the enemy line, hoping that the enemy wouldn't notice them while they were busy focusing on other, more urgent threats? Well, a bit risky but overall a good enough-

Then their escort showed up and Dietrich sighed in exasperation. Guess he shouldn't have expected anything from the Allies. Their ability to destroy their own plans baffled him time and time again. And even worse their escort was piloted by a literal child. Well, atleast untill Remington decided to reveal that it was her older sister. By this point Dietrich just wanted to blow a bullet through his brain and be done with it all. He wondered how well the 'adult' would do at hand cranking the turret of her tank if it was damaged. Anyway, he turned to Naomi, asking with a defeatist tone in his voice:

"Is it really a good idea to provide us with a priority target as escort?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antoniya really didn't know what she was doing, clinging to Milena as though she was an iceberg in the middle of the Northern Sea. But really, there was no other person with whom she had made contact so far and shared, to a certain degree, common sentiments and on top of that she was, sadly, not the most social person. Back in the Bulgarian Air Force she had stayed alone, keeping interaction to the bare minimum. But back in the Bulgarian Air Force nobody had doubted her loyalties and she had known where to go, what to do and how to adress whom it it became necessary. Now though she was stranded among former enemies, a situation she didn't like at all since it was far outside of her comfort zone.

Now, during their journey to Alexandria she had watched the Soviets with whom she was in the same truck. The one mute girl was most likely conversing with her red comrade within their minds, atleast she concluded that from the way she kept smiling and nodding. Damn reds. Antoniya didn't like them since they were threatening the bulgarian monarchy, a dynasty to which she had sworn her absolute loyalty. Literally the only reason why she was fighting with them now was that she believed an even bigger threat to not only the monarchy but also the Bulgarian people to come from the nazis. Seeing as both she and Milena were people the Soviet Union probably considered to be at the very least former enemies, she was ever vigilant around these pesky reds.

Though maybe her guard was all for naught since they reached Alexandria without any sudden 'accident'. Since Milena did not really wish to tour the city, Antoniya had a good excuse to not go as well. She didn't like the city. It's architecture and people reminded her of the shackles Bulgaria had thrown off only thirty years ago. Of course she hadn't been there to witness it. But she had heard the stories about the century long slavery of the Bulgarian people under Ottoman reign. Had been subjected to the demonizing propaganda against the vile Turks. Yeah, no, she really didn't need to visit a city which, at first glance, looked exactly like what the old men described. So yeah, she stuck with Milena, watched over the weak child as she struggled with the heat of the day. Of course Antoniya also had problems with the heat, but she had far less of these than Milena did, seeing as she wasn't used to cold climates rather than hot ones quite as much as Milena was.

So here they were, two weak little girls with powers that brought them above normal men, waiting for the sun to set. Milena, exiled from her homeland, without a family or anything to return to, crippled and quite certainly not used to the heat seeing how she was draining her water supply. And Antoniya herself, having deserted her homeland, also without any true family left to return to, stuck in a weak and frail body which was the product of malnourishment and military training and very happy that she had taken the task upon herself to take twice the amount of water with her, seeing how Milena was draining hers way too quickly. Hopefully it would be night soon. She had heard that nights in the desert were cold so it would hopefully let Milena cool off and stop that sick abuse of her water supply.

So by the time they had finally reached the frontline near El-Alamein, Milena's water supply was already dangerously low. But it seemed as though the night was starting to have an effect on her as she seemed to be in an acceptable condition. Really good that she brought that additional water. As for the plan, apparently they were going to try to break through once the battle started, hoping that their insertion into enemy territory would go unnoticed...untill of course the tank showed up. Antoniya was an ace of the Bulgarian Air Force...not like they had had that much contact with enemy air forces but hey, in comparison to the other witches serving the Tsardom she was an ace. Anyway, she had also done air reconnaissance of course...and finding tanks was so bloody easy. They were large, easily visible and often situated on open paths or fields because they ran a risk of getting stuck inside forests. And on top of that, Antoniya had made the experience that ground forces tended to call in the Air Force once they were faced with something as overwhelming as heavy enemy armour. She'd definitely make sure to not stick too close to that tank. She really didn't want to be inside the explosion radius of a german 1.000 kg bomb dropped straight onto their tank by one of the feared Stukas.

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Clark was feeling it.

He could feel the rushing forces in his body tighten up as he brought his Indian 841 to a skidding halt in the desert sands, just beside of Beecher's Jeep. Even through his ensemble of riding goggles and a grey Arab-style keffiyeh wrapped around his head, he could easily distinguished the sleeping giant they had rolled up on. His left foot brought down the kickstand, and he lifted one leg over the other side of the bike.

Butterflies. Clark felt the nerves jumbling up in his chest as he pulled off the goggles and wrestled his keffiyeh around his neck. The feeling was nothing new; it was an old friend to Clark Harris. He bent down, extending his fingers to touch his toes without bending his knees. Letting out a groan, Clark stood back up and turned to Naomi, as she gave out a final briefing.

Pretty much the same shit. Can we get a damn map?

Clark turned with a sudden, reactive measure of speed as an insane mobile English pressure cooker advanced into view. The tank, a Churchill by Clark's understanding, was covered in swag. Not just swag from muzzle to ass - but shields that let the scant light of the desert assembly reflect off of it. He stared for several seconds, dumbfounded at the vehicle.

"I guess that's our diversion?" he said aloud - but to no one in particular - in a tone of voice that carried equal measures of both sarcasm and genuinity. The American reached into his pocket, pulling out a pack of cigarettes as he watched a petite English girl begin speaking to Ariel.

His eyes danced around. Heim looked nervous, which didn't surprise Clark. The other Red insulted the tank with a combination of both insult and self-induced back-patting. Clark rolled his eyes while his fingers drew out a single unfiltered cigarette, setting it in his mouth. He noticed Dietrich besting a mask of utter disinterest, muttering something to Naomi.

His eyes settled on Naomi, and after grabbing his M1, he took several steps over to the duo. Clark held the rifle in his right hand, on the receiver, as his left fumbled in his pocket for a lighter.

This lack of a proper assault briefing bothers me. This could get a lot of people killed.

"Got any field maps of the AO?" he asked. "Might be prudent to know where we'll be running around in the dark at, especially with an assault."
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Willow had been chewing on a K ration biscuit as people talked. She sat in the back, her khaki cloth down to let her shovel the content of her K ration's can of spaghetti in with the biscuit, washing it down with her canteen. She admired the heavy tank as it slowly made it's way to the group. Yes, big guns were very good as a force multiplier here, even if everyone else seemed to think of it like a lead magnet. Coincidentally, she had written "Bullet Magnet" on the hood of the jeep when no one was looking. She looked as the other ESPer voiced his opinion to the rest of the unit. Big mouth. This isn't Russia. We can't just pop in a Russian tank we don't have. She thought to herself, before she had a sudden instance and a grin crawled across her face. Time to take him down a peg.

"So what you're saying is: One Churchill tank is worth two of your T-34s?"

To her, there was no use for people who had no faith in their equipment and support. Leave that shit out of here.

"Or we could also just not have the tank with us at all and be the target ourselves, if you'd prefer that. You could lead the charge, too, since you seem so adamant about your feelings. You could go with him, Fritz." Willow passed the last remark to Dietrich, who would always be "Fritz" to her now.
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Alexandria, 23rd October, noon

The ride down the coast road was quiet and uncomfortable. Matt sat perched atop the Jeep's rear fender, his legs braced against the front seat and the machine-gun mount to keep him in place, and with every bump in the asphalt his tailbone slammed into the vehicle's steel chassis.

It was a common belief that Minutemen's sense of pain was dulled. Common, but inaccurate. In fact, the procedure had heightened all of Matt's senses - including the sense of touch. He felt every ache and jolt with the same precision that let him see the foam on the crest of each wave as it rolled toward the Mediterranean shore.

That was the trade: the bitter for the sweet. Matt thought about that a lot, while Heim flipped through the mission dossier and Naomi reminisced over the radio about her childhood in Mandatory Palestine. Somewhere overhead, Iridelle circled in silence on her magic carpet. Matt listened to Naomi's memories, and watched the waves, and it suddenly came very clearly to him that the trade had been worth making.

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for. Matt had read For Whom the Bell Tolls alone in a cabin in Montana, a failed experiment discarded by his country, and how he had cried when he had finished it.

The bitter with the sweet.

With perfect clarity, Matt watched the waves roll in to shore.

The little convoy stopped outside Alexandria at a depot, to stockpile supplies and wait for nightfall. The idea was to hide SHADOCOM's approach from Axis reconnaissance planes. Matt knew what ancient powers the enemy could muster, and very much doubted that they would be less observant come nightfall. But he was grateful anyhow for a few hours' chance to stretch his legs.

Naomi told the team not to visit the Old City of Alexandria. The entire team, to Matt's ill-hidden amusement, promptly defied those orders. Abraham, Polina, and even Anna wandered off into the alleys near the depot. Matt's blue eyes followed Dietrich as the former general slipped away as well, and it was only by an effort of will that Matt forbade himself to follow. I can't run this team and constantly monitor Haegler all at once.

Polina reappeared soon enough, bearing a sack of some kind of grain that Matt didn't recognize, and Abraham himself returned a few minutes later, holding several paper bundles and smelling of roasted meat and spices. He had, it seemed, been swindled by a market butcher. The news brought a snicker from Heim and an unexpectedly beautiful laugh from Naomi. Soon enough, Heim was carving the meat that Abe had brought. It was a gift, Abe said, which Matt thought was as good a way as any of saving face, and better than most.

Heim presented a makeshift sandwich to Haytham. "Mister Sayya, please accept this." Iridelle glared from her tent. Heim's red eyes flickered toward Matt, and the Minuteman saw the uncertainty there. The Minuteman smiled and offered the tiniest of nods. Haytham accepted the wrap, and offered to help Heim make her own. Matt watched, and felt a deep calm sink into his bones, and he knew that this, at least, was one good thing to have done in a world at war.

Matt felt happy, in that moment, but he also felt hungry. Supernatural speed, strength, sensory acuity, and healing all required calories. Back in New Mexico, Matt's training officers had told him to eat at least three times as much as he had before the procedure. Satisfied that his squad was beginning to bond, the Minuteman slipped away into the nearby backstreets. He returned a few minutes later: spooning ful medames into his mouth out of an enormous clay bowl, his haversack stuffed with roasted meat and bread and honey pastries.

The beans were good, Matt thought. He didn't recognize the spices, but at least there clearly were spices involved, and that was more than he could say for New England food. Matt closed his eyes, and saw the Salween River run clear and bright through the jungle, and wondered if he would ever stand upon its banks again.

He opened his eyes. The stars began to twinkle in the evening sky, and the chill of a desert night crept into Matt's fingertips. The team began to move, as if by silent animal instinct, back toward the vehicles. Matt scraped the last of the beans from his bowl, and followed his friends into the night.

The convoy moved slowly with its headlights off - well, all except Clark's motorcycle, which careened through the sand with joyous abandon. But Matt's enhanced eyes could see just fine in the darkness, albeit only in a monochrome that made Matt think, once again, of the cinema. Rodolfo Valentino. Screaming girls in harem pants, out here in the God-touched stillness of the endless sands.

And so Matt could see quite clearly the endless rows of barrack-tents, the columns of tanks and armored vehicles stretching into the distant shadows, the trenches gouged into the sand and held in place with mealybags and duckboards. This is where the battle will happen. The realization sank into the small of Matt's back like a dagger of ice. This is where men will die.

"We're on the ramparts, gents," Skipper called cheerfully. "Leave thy steeds."

Matt swung his legs out of the Jeep and dropped to the ground. His boots sank into the sand, and slid, and he rested one heavy hand on the side of the vehicle to steady himself. Just think of it like snow, Matt thought. There had been plenty of that, back in New England - too much for a child of the tropics who had never seen the point in wearing shoes.

Naomi briefed the team. They would be linking up with an experimental force from the British 7th Armored Division, and then they would be assaulting a section of the line held by the Italian Ariete Division and a German Panzer unit - and, most likely, the Tre Stelle.

Matt glanced out across the desert, beyond the trenchlines that marked the edge of the Allied position, toward the horizon. They're out there, somewhere. Thousands of men - werewolves - vampires - God only knows what else. The moonlight glimmered on the sand, and Matt suddenly wished that it were daylight.

Then - a mechanical roar, and Matt turned, and saw a massive squat tank roll up next to the team, adorned with medieval shields and pennants like a knight's charger. Ariel gaped up at it, and turned to Abe. "Poppy, is that what I think it is?"

Evidently, it was: a girl who looked barely old enough to drive emerged from the commanders' hatch and hopped down into Ariel's arms, knocking them both to the ground. This, it transpired, was Alice Remington: Ariel's older sister, as unlikely as that seemed to Matt. Still, the two women certainly seemed happy enough to see each other, and Matt would have liked to enjoy the moment - but there was a darkness beyond the horizon, so close that he could almost smell it, and he wished again that it were daylight.

Dietrich, unsurprisingly, was in a foul temper: he pointed out that the tank would be a priority target, and would draw the enemy's attention. Nor was Dmitry impressed by the tank. He observed that it was slow, vulnerable to artillery, and inefficient. Haytham said nothing about the tank, but wondered aloud whether the team had artillery support.

Matt supposed that all of those questions and criticisms might be valid. But the Churchill was still the only armored support the team had available. Clark rolled his eyes and chewed on a cigarette and asked whether anyone had field maps, while Willow acidly inquired of Dmitry: "So what you're saying is: One Churchill tank is worth two of your T-34s?"

"Enough," Matt said quietly. "This is what there is. We're going to use it. That's all that matters right now."

Matt pulled his laminated area map from inside his field jacket, beneath his body armor. He unfolded it on the hood of the Jeep, covering Willow's graffiti. Bullet Magnet. Matt refused to let his mind dwell on that. Instead, he waved the team closer, including Naomi and Alice in the gesture.

"All right." Matt's finger, large as a rifle barrel, tapped the map. "We are here. A kilometer west of us, here, is the Munassib Depression." The Minuteman glanced at Haytham. "Apologies for Mister Sayyah for my pronunciation. That's where we expect the enemy to be. We break through their lines there, we can hook southwest into the Qattara Depression and vanish toward Siwa. We'll also have opened a breach for the 7th Armored to exploit and roll up the Axis line from the right flank up."

Listen to me, Matt's voice whispered in the back of his mind. You'd almost believe the preacher's kid understood something about war.

Matt forced the thought away and glanced around at his team. "We don't know what's waiting for us once we move into the Munassib Depression. What we do know is that the enemy will have artillery and armor. So we're going to move up on foot, in a skirmish line, with at least twenty meters between each of us. No standing in groups, nobody gets bracketed by the big guns. Alice, the tank stays a hundred meters behind the line. Skipper, the trucks stay another hundred meters behind the tank. Anyone who can fly gets up into the air for recon and support."

Matt's blue eyes moved from face to face. "Now. When the shooting starts, the skirmish line goes to ground. The tank rolls up through the line and hits the enemy head-on at their strongest point. Draws the fire away from the rest of us. Half the team follows the tank up, supports it, keeps enemy infantry off it. That's the Iron Weasel, plus Milena, Antoniya, Ariel, Abe, Dietrich, Jerome, and Iridelle. Everyone else will stick with me, and we'll try to circle around the enemy while the fire element has them over-concentrated. Find a gap in the line, slip through, hit them from the flank. Once they're running, we turn hard southwest, break contact, mount up, and make for the Qattara Depression."

"That's the plan. Textbook." Matt nodded once, and knew that it was textbook because he had learned it from a textbook, and desperately wanted to believe that didn't matter. I got them through Warsaw. That has to count for something. Matt folded his map back up and tucked it back into his jacket. "Any questions?"
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:47 am

Alice... did not take the snide remarks too well. Pouting, she was quite irritated by the Soviet's dismissal of her machine. The Churchill, for all its drawbacks, was never meant to fulfill the role of the medium tank. That the ignorant infantryman dared to compare it lowly to the death traps they were hastily welding together like chop-shop horrors was sacrilege.

Fortunately, she was not alone.

"It's like the nice sister and brother said," she told the doubters, peering coyly at the Americans as she took on her usual, child-like voice, "if you don't like Pooh to fight, you're welcome to be the distraction. However, if my sister dies because of this, I'm going to need recompense from the both of you. Your heads aren't even worth half of my sister combined."

"Alice, that wasn't very nice," Ariel reprimanded, "even if these yokels have no appreciation for British engineering. Besides," she stated proudly, knocking at the teddy bear emblem on the turret, "they may not dare to admit it, but they need Pooh. If they insist otherwise, I can always ride with you while they draw fire from the Panzer battalion on their own."

Matt's firm leadership, of course, finally put the question at rest. While the Briton admittedly did not hold any dictate from Continentals in high regard, she knew best to heed orders where appropriate. In her own admittance, he was a true blue leader, such was his talents as both a Minuteman and a soldier. And that was what frustrated her most, that they were beginning to take a backseat in the Allied effort as a whole.

But again, there were more pressing matters than griping over leadership roles.

"Alright, you heard him," Ariel declared, "best get this done before dawn breaks and the regular elements start getting a clear shot at us. Tre Stelle may be crowded with masters of the night, but that's no excuse to let yourselves get shot at in broad daylight. However, I do have a query, Captain," she spoke in seriousness, "do we have a fall-back plan? I don't want to believe we might actually fail, but just in case, we need to plan for a retreat."

Best to be prepared for any eventuality, she surmised.

Fascist Republic Of Bermuda
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Republic Of Bermuda » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:29 pm

“Blimey, we’re raiding an Ancient Egyptian tomb to stop the War of the Worlds, what’s this war come to?” Joked Jeffery Richmond as Cynthia and he dismounted from the Chevy 30 CWT Cynthia had claimed as her own in 1941.

They’d gotten caught up with each other on the ride, stuck close to the never stopped talking- except, of course, for their reunion rendition of It’s A Long Way To Tipperary in Alexandria. The Patrol Chorus, they had called themselves. Jeffery had once declared that with his baritone, Robert’s soprano, and McManson’s tenor, they would make a bundle when the war ended. But that had been before McManson had carked it in a botched raid on an Italian supply depot. A lot like the one the group found itself in, actually. The pair had resolved to not mention it the similar circumstances.

“Jeffy, you and I both know we’ve been through worse. Remember Barce?” Cynthia questioned, nudging him as they gathered around for the briefing. “Like yesterday, Tipperary,” Richmond rolled his eyes, pointing towards Matt, “Now, shut up, the Yank’s talking.” Cynthia joined in the crowd watching the hulking American point to the map and explain the game plan.

The plan seemed reasonable enough. Find the enemy, wait for the giant tank to distract them, then run from the entire enemy army like mad. And then the call for questions. Well, Cynthia would be flanking. Flanking the Hun and Wog in the desert, she could do that. “If you’ll let me add something, Captain,” She asked, adding a bit of advice she figured would be helpful. “Sometimes the sand in the air can get as thick as smoke, with all the explosives and vehicles flying about. Try to let our mate in the tank see what she’s supposed to shoot at, ta?”
N U T S !

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am

Monfrox wrote:Willow

Reverend Norv wrote:Matt

Wolfenium wrote:Ariel

October 23nd, 1942

El Alamein

As Dmitry should have perhaps expected, his comments about the weakness of the Churchill tank were not received well by the Westerners of the unit. Willow took the opportunity to jump on the ESPer with some candid comments, the captain of the tank, who still looked like she's 10, didn't take it well either - however, both of them, as well as Dmitry himself, were shut down by Matt, who interfered in the conversation before it went anywhere problematic. Now that's something you can respect the Minuteman about - though he didn't look too pleased about Dmitry's comments, either.

To be fair, the Westerners did have some solid points - for example, the fact that the Churchill would just draw artillery fire, which Dmitry saw as a weakness, they saw as the point. Though, could you really blame him? The concept of an infantry tank was foreign to the military doctrine of the Red Army, though the T-26 did fulfill a similar infantry support role in certain conditions - the BT and later T-34 emphasized speed over armor, of course, to a point. So perhaps he really was too quick to jump to conclusions - although, considering that the Soviet Union was currently taking on the "unbeatable" Wehrmacht pretty much one-on-one while the British Empire was playing in the sandbox with the Axis's sloppy seconds, there isn't really much of a question on which of the two doctrines were more well adopted, or superior.

Again, an oversimplification and perhaps not even all that accurate of an analysis, but it was one Dima went with.

The discussion soon went towards a basic battle plan for the first phase of the mission, and Matt was the one explaining his idea. Starting out with an advance in a skirmish line, and splitting when the action begins, with half of the team remaining by the tank to support it and keep the infantry off it while the rest attempt to circle the enemy from behind and cause a rout, at which point the only thing left is to disappear into the Qattara.

Not a bad idea, though Dmitry did have problems with being assigned to follow Matt for the encirclement operation. He may have expressed his negative opinion on the design on the Churchill tank before, but he was much more comfortable with providing it with Katyusha support than the other options.

"With utmost respect..." Dmitry began to speak. That's how you begin a polite rebuttal in English, correct? Goddard's works and the language preparations he needed before getting into them provided Dmitry with a comfortable knowledge of the language, thank goodness, but it was far from perfect. "I believe I would be of much better use in supporting the tank. Long range support against enemy formations is what I'm most experienced at."
Last edited by Finland SSR on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:58 am

Map. He's more prepared than half of the Republican Army.

Clark stood beside Matt, peering down at the map as the hulking patriot, with his Lincoln Log-sized fingers and the flow of information from his mouth, pointed out the game plan for the team. The plan was to draw fire with an armored attack, with a simultaneous foot assault on the Axis flank and further deconstitute their firepower. Once the Axis troops pulled back, they could slip into Siwa and leave enough of a gap for the Seventh to cause some.trouble.

Clark nodded in agreement, as he removed the cigarette from his mouth. Beecher had stuck Clark on the ground team - in the thick of it. A slight grin appeared on his face at the mention of this. None of that backseat sewer crap.

Matt asked if there were questions. Clark looked at the odd child who happened to be the proud owner of a tank. She asked about a fall-back plan. The Aussie offered advice about the pick-up of the sand. And the Russian - Dmitri - asked to hang out with the armor. So much for that Red mass charge.

Stifling a chuckle, Clark decided to throw in some advice for his skipper. He turned his gaze to Beecher, propping his hand against the Jeep, leaning slightly.

"Matt, if I might say so, it would be prudent to divvie up the commando element into two-man pairs, maybe three if you're feeling tough. It'd be easier to communicate out in the dunes, and not lose each other."
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Alexandria, Egypt

Our stop in Alexandria was business as usual. While others milled about, us vehicle crews got to work refueling, preparing munitions and rations for the long haul ahead, and generally making sure our metallic steeds would not break down from the desert heat that awaited us. I'd once more tweaked the tropical filters attached to the engine, double-checked for any fouling, and before I knew it, we were off once more. The convoy wasn't going to wait any further for my baby's maintenance, so once more it rolled out into the desert...

South of El Alamein, Egypt

I wasn't certain which piece of information I was more surprised or shocked of.

The fact our unit was bolstered by a heavy tank properly named after the well-fed prime minister of the United Kingdom, the reality that said tank was crewed by a girl far younger than any of us in the UC, or the plan which involved the Weasel following behind the giant meat-shield.

"I have my objections, Captain Beecher," Cheung snapped, eyeing the map all the while, "I'm not sure if you'd read our file, but the Iron Weasel was never built or utilized for direct engagements with the enemy, much less following behind a bloody short heavy tank and performing clean-up duty. We lack a turret, and frankly while we are armored, the Weasel is no Sturmgeschütz. I speak for our lovely driver when I say that we are strictly indirect-fire, unless you'd like to have us blown to smithereens... or destroy a tomb at close range."

I nodded, patting a shield talisman on the front of the Weasel in front of plain sight, obviously worried about the fight ahead.

"As for any further comments on the Churchill, it looks to be a fine machine aside from its height," humming at the sight of the vehicle, Cheung marveled the tank she'd never come into direct contact with, "Though certainly not something I'd like to see waddling around in Burma, I'd say it'll attract artillery fire just fine. If only the Aussies could get their hands on some already..."
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING

Monfrox
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Willow looked between everyone who was leaning on her (it now belonged to her and if anyone had anything different to say she'd clock 'em) jeep. A lot of things were being said one way or the other. She stood up and leaned over the windshield now that the canvas cover was off and the fifty cal was mounted up top. She eyed the map and the rest of the team.

"We're not here to fight." She stated, bluntly, as she hefted her Thompson up and put it on the map with a thud. "We're moving here, to here, to here." She traced the path the Captain had laid out with the end of the barrel, which had a Cutts compensator on it. "Our main objective is Siwa, right? Not this here. We're just punching through the line. A raid, really. Basic shit. We hit them, hard and fast, and we'll be gone before they can shoot up your pretty little armored piece. It's not that hard, and we'll be out of there before they even knew what hit them. Dima, you can be more up front since if we're moving through a depression, that means we may have enemies high above us. You think you can handle that?"

Willow, of course, had no problem being direct with her speaking. Maybe even a bit terse sometimes. The Captain was here to lead, but they had to look to him as a leader. In her years now in the war, Willow looked up to him for his sentimentality, but that could prevent him from giving someone a kick to get going when they needed it. In fact, the closest she'd ever seen him to angry was in the barfight just before all this. A sort of calm storm. It was for that reason that Willow had no problem being the bad guy for him in situations like this. As long as they followed where he led, it didn't matter to her if they liked her or not along the way.

Achievement

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse