NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 4: Brainstorming, Discussion, Tea, Advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Suryak
Minister

Founded: May 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Suryak » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:46 am

:)

So 3 now.
Private First Class of The Black Hawks

New Sriker
Envoy

Founded: Jul 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sriker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 am

Suryak wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept:Create an RP where nations can take up fictional Medieval Kingdoms and, you know try to take over the world or stabilize or whatever.
Genre/s:Fantasy, Medieval, Nations
Character or Faction Based:Faction
Detailed Description: In Medieval Chaos, you choose a fictional kingdom of your own picking, reform their armies, build castles, whatever you like as long as it doesn't break the rules (obviously). You can expand, modernize the feudal system or just keep it there and conquer the world!

Need Help With:Building the lore, application, and get the thread up and running

Please leave this hashtag in place: #Mentorhelp

What do you think?

Sounds fun.

Suryak
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Suryak » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 am

Catching speed!

I'll check in later

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Asardia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:32 pm

So it seems none of my Rps last. My longest role play was Age of Imperialism, but none of my RPs since then had comparable success. Is there something I'm doing wrong or are people just not interested?
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Asardia wrote:So it seems none of my Rps last. My longest role play was Age of Imperialism, but none of my RPs since then had comparable success. Is there something I'm doing wrong or are people just not interested?

Well, it's kind of hard to draw people in when you only have a single paragraph describing the thread. Check out this RP for an example of a faction one having success. Obviously you don't have to add that much description, but more than one paragraph is necessary if you want the thread to get active players and last.
don't tread on me

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Asardia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Forest State wrote:
Asardia wrote:So it seems none of my Rps last. My longest role play was Age of Imperialism, but none of my RPs since then had comparable success. Is there something I'm doing wrong or are people just not interested?

Well, it's kind of hard to draw people in when you only have a single paragraph describing the thread. Check out this RP for an example of a faction one having success. Obviously you don't have to add that much description, but more than one paragraph is necessary if you want the thread to get active players and last.

I've seen that thread before. When I rebooted, I attempted something similar but that also died. But I do admit I'm not the best with descriptions
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Well, my obsession shifted to Science Fiction- if any of you are starting a Science Fiction RP set in Space with the chance to play a Robotic character I'm interested in hearing about the idea. I may opt for a character rather attached to the station/ship/facility/etc but still.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

United Anorbonum
Envoy

Founded: Aug 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby United Anorbonum » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Imagine if someone made a fortnite RP.

North-Southistan
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby North-Southistan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:00 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST

RP's Overarching Concept: A Star Wars RP focused around a single Clone Division isolated on a relatively small colony world. No communication with the outside, under siege by a fleet of ships. The Separatist Army employs increasingly horrifying methods to destroy the division, with no regard for civilian casualties. Can the troopers survive, both physically and mentally.
Genre/s: Military-Science fiction, psychological horror
Character or Faction Based: Character, mainly. Players may create their own regiment or brigade to have control over. The focus of the RP is on the damage war can do to an individual, even a clone.
Detailed Description: As stated, this RP focuses around individual clones, local militia, or civilians as they struggle to survive the horrors of the siege. The setting is going to be very reminiscent of the Great War, lots of static warfare, destroyed environments, inhumane battle strategies. The planet is small, with a population of around a billion. there are a lot of mountains and tundras, similar to Hoth, but the snow does melt on occasion, to of course be replaced by mud and rain for a few months. Soldiers stationed in the cities will experience more sporadic fighting, but the cities have been reduced to rubble by orbital bombardment. Think Stalingrad, Dresden, or the Blitz. Mutiny among the soldiers is a possibility.

The RP would start just after the initial battle is over. The fleet has either left, landed, or crashed on the planet. The scattered Republic forces must regroup to survive.

This describes the mindset of the RP perfectly

Need Help With: Running the RP, I'm not very good at it, and a good Co-op would be helpful. Would also like help building the structure, apps, and other things like that.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Harbertia wrote:Well, my obsession shifted to Science Fiction- if any of you are starting a Science Fiction RP set in Space with the chance to play a Robotic character I'm interested in hearing about the idea. I may opt for a character rather attached to the station/ship/facility/etc but still.

I'd be into this as well. I've been thinking about biologically weird alien races lately, though some of my ideas might be hard to RP.
Signatures are so 2014.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm

There seem to be a lot of sci-fi RPs out there right now. If you want to play a robot character, Harbertia, some of them might be a starting point to look.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:56 am

Talchyon wrote:There seem to be a lot of sci-fi RPs out there right now. If you want to play a robot character, Harbertia, some of them might be a starting point to look.

hmm....

When Stars Come Crashing Down - Survival RP regarding colonization.
The Colony - Survival RP regarding colonization.

Both of which are RPs where a robot character wouldn't be Human enough for the struggle that keeps players invested. I could still join as such and be an asset but I doubt the OPs had robot characters in mind.

Hyperion's Gate: Canon Space RP - is region exclusive.

Star Wars: A Rebellion Rising
Star Wars: A Final Hope

No Star Wars model actually fits what I have in mind for this character, and I'd rather not try to fit it into the setting. However If I did join a Star Wars RP I'd probably opt to be an RQ protocol droid or an R5 unit. Most likely a protocol droid as I wouldn't want to take part in any of the combat action; even as a mechanic.

mm...

I'll ask about this on the When the Stars Come Crashing Down thread. If you know of other Sci-Fi RPs that I overlooked due to name feel free to inform me.

EDIT: Actually I probably could get into a Star Wars RP as a droid. It's something I kept trying to do in the table top RPs, and I've seen every episode of Star Wars: Droids. Even have the Droid Workshop PC game. Just- as stated I'm not a very combative person. I'll add however that I'm rather neurotic. Being passive in a battle oriented RP seems like I'd be lack luster character wise but- after listening to the Star Wars: Droids theme again- I really wouldn't be lack luster just for being passive. Especially if I tag along with vital characters and do what I can in my capacity accomplish on their behalf. It just seems alienating is all.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Olthenia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:20 am

New Sriker wrote:
Suryak wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept:Create an RP where nations can take up fictional Medieval Kingdoms and, you know try to take over the world or stabilize or whatever.
Genre/s:Fantasy, Medieval, Nations
Character or Faction Based:Faction
Detailed Description: In Medieval Chaos, you choose a fictional kingdom of your own picking, reform their armies, build castles, whatever you like as long as it doesn't break the rules (obviously). You can expand, modernize the feudal system or just keep it there and conquer the world!

Need Help With:Building the lore, application, and get the thread up and running

What do you think?

Sounds fun.

Haven't seen one of these in a while. If you launch it, let me know.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:26 am

Harbertia - A new sci fi RP just opened up.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Talchyon wrote:Harbertia - A new sci fi RP just opened up.

Your *looks at Autoduel* oh, wow I didn't realize that's what your RP was about. I glanced and missed so much detail. This is like a 90s Arcade Race Dream. With that in mind, and thinking about the great Arcade games of the 90s- I'm able to be a robot/90s Cyborg?
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Talchyon wrote:Harbertia - A new sci fi RP just opened up.

Your *looks at Autoduel* oh, wow I didn't realize that's what your RP was about. I glanced and missed so much detail. This is like a 90s Arcade Race Dream. With that in mind, and thinking about the great Arcade games of the 90s- I'm able to be a robot/90s Cyborg?

There's also the Galactic Republic RP.
Signatures are so 2014.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:29 pm

Utceforp wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Your *looks at Autoduel* oh, wow I didn't realize that's what your RP was about. I glanced and missed so much detail. This is like a 90s Arcade Race Dream. With that in mind, and thinking about the great Arcade games of the 90s- I'm able to be a robot/90s Cyborg?

There's also the Galactic Republic RP.

OH now that does look interesting :D
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Qith
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Global Event Idea's Help

Postby Qith » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 am

Brainstorming
Advice

I have a little closed rp group going that is taking place in the early 1800s. As the GM I want to have global events that gives all or most participants a prompt so their nation can do something. What are some ideas for early 19th century events that could give various writers a good prompt to RP with?

Thanks

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:19 am

Harbertia wrote:
Utceforp wrote:There's also the Galactic Republic RP.

OH now that does look interesting :D

Harb - That's the one I was meaning for you to check out, actually. (I know you don't like combat and violence, and so I wasn't thinking you would be interested in Autoduel since a lot of it is combat and violence).

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Qith wrote:Brainstorming
Advice

I have a little closed rp group going that is taking place in the early 1800s. As the GM I want to have global events that gives all or most participants a prompt so their nation can do something. What are some ideas for early 19th century events that could give various writers a good prompt to RP with?

Thanks

I get the impression you are looking for generic events but here is a list of major events from 1801 until 1850.

Talchyon wrote:
Harbertia wrote:OH now that does look interesting :D

Harb - That's the one I was meaning for you to check out, actually. (I know you don't like combat and violence, and so I wasn't thinking you would be interested in Autoduel since a lot of it is combat and violence).

Thanks for keeping that in mind :) though next time perhaps link to the RP you desired me to notice ^_^
Tomorrow is made today.

Suryak
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Suryak » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Qith wrote:Brainstorming
Advice

Thanks

I guess it depends if you're talking for a specific country, or world wide. For the U.S., the expansion of the railroads was big. There was still slavery in the south. The idea of manifest destiny out west and the Gold Rush of 1849 was important.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:02 pm

What if you have an idea for an RP you really want to make and can't stop thinking about, but you also have had zero energy to write anything for the last month or so?
Signatures are so 2014.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:15 pm

Utceforp wrote:What if you have an idea for an RP you really want to make and can't stop thinking about, but you also have had zero energy to write anything for the last month or so?

Kind of in a similiar place here- wanting to mention an idea I have but only having a setting and no real concept regarding what to do with the setting. In your case I propose letting us know what you have in mind as you'll get the energy sometime and perhaps others will help with that. It'll help you avoid what I'm in- writing a post regarding my idea and then deleting the draft :/ so... yeah you mindsawell let us know what's nagging your mind so you don't start thinking about and say 'wow I should have posted something about this earlier' when you do get the energy.
Tomorrow is made today.

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Utceforp wrote:What if you have an idea for an RP you really want to make and can't stop thinking about, but you also have had zero energy to write anything for the last month or so?

Work on it in bits and pieces? No need to write a thread out in one or two sittings.
don't tread on me

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse