NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 4: Brainstorming, Discussion, Tea, Advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Right now the only setting I have prepared where this would work is the Star Trek: What Could Have Been setting. Resources are there for players to use for creating an adventure and it's based on a TV show so being episodic suits it well.

I recently updated the Character Creation Guide

and a page on the Constitution class is already up. Due to it's 5 year missions of discovery it seems ideal for this sort of thing- giving those hosting an episode greater freedom (more freedom then a smaller vessel).

Though I know I'd have to get the ball rolling with the first episode, and I'd most likely have to play captain :/ which... um... due to my mental condition (which leads at times to odd speech that while making sense to myself can be puzzling to others) isn't the best role for me (unless I did good in that Pegasus RP- though I wouldn't know if I did- I think I was too agreeable).

That or I'd have to find someone willing to host the first adventure allowing me to moderate the OOC and generate content. I'm great at world building.

That's a bit of my downside- I'm not good at creating a plot- a scenario yes- but a plot no- I always have no end in mind which means things go everywhere or something- I just know I'm not that good at plot only a 'hey this is a cool scenario let me get some players together and see how the situation is resolved by them'. I think that's ideal but I do it poorly and playing a character while doing so just- it's hard to host an RP and play in it (like be more then NPC- but player character in an RP you are hosting because you know what to expect and what choices would lead to what outcome) '~'

I do the same thing. I can create scenarios, but I'm not very good at the plot part.

hmm....

It's like I don't want to have an end in mind because then I know what to expect- but as the host I tend have an idea of what to expect- players surprise me so it's still exciting having to adapt to their unforeseen action- but still- I think I enjoy being a player rather then a host. It's just- there are not always RPs that interest me up so I get the desire to start something of interest to me to gather a group of players to experience such with.

I certainly do find RPs of interest on NS; it's just sometimes you get in the mood for something that no one else is hosting at that time, yah?
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Olthenia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I do the same thing. I can create scenarios, but I'm not very good at the plot part.

How would you define the difference between a scenario and a plot?

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Olthenia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I do the same thing. I can create scenarios, but I'm not very good at the plot part.

One is like taking off with an airplane, the other is actually flying it while its airborne.

Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009

Postby Olthenia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Esternial wrote:
Olthenia wrote:

One is like taking off with an airplane, the other is actually flying it while its airborne.

Flying with that analogy for a second, I think the best plots are the ones created by the players; not the OP.

In a sense, your job as the OP isn't to tell the players a story. Trying to do so reduces your players to a passive audience - the sort that watches a movie or reads a book. No players sign on to do that - they'd much rather tell their own story. The trick is helping them cooperate properly. If you can start the RP around a premise which depends on the players actions, actually flying the plane will depend on what they themselves want to happen. In that case, I'd say you have both a far more invested player base and a far more interesting RP.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Actually, I have an idea of a Nightvale, Castle Rock, Royson Valley themed RP where players can RP as a citizen of eccentric, odd, or supernatural in general. It's sorta has you develop your character and interact with others.

Nevertheless, an analogy type of RP is possible, but you need to have a prompt for everyone to RP from and to world build from.
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Olthenia wrote:
Esternial wrote:One is like taking off with an airplane, the other is actually flying it while its airborne.

Flying with that analogy for a second, I think the best plots are the ones created by the players; not the OP.

In a sense, your job as the OP isn't to tell the players a story. Trying to do so reduces your players to a passive audience - the sort that watches a movie or reads a book. No players sign on to do that - they'd much rather tell their own story. The trick is helping them cooperate properly. If you can start the RP around a premise which depends on the players actions, actually flying the plane will depend on what they themselves want to happen. In that case, I'd say you have both a far more invested player base and a far more interesting RP.

"Good evening passangers, I know you all got a ticket for one crazy ride but I'm gonna step back from the controls for a while and see what happens- enjoy the flight!"

.... That being said yeah that's what I've been doing; not a really a plot just a scenario.

"Hello players, ya'll have read the OP I hope- so get on to it and I'll play any old NPC that gets mentioned."

It works for a while but then the players start going in many directions- sometimes contradicting each other over what's happening here or there. Which is where the part you mention about 'helping them cooperate' comes into play.

It's enjoyable for a while but then the players start ignoring you all together and - well I leave to let them do their own thing. Like I still need to be involved somehow or I'm just not doing anything. To be upfront the last time I fully abandoned an RP like that was due to one player 'NOT" reading the OP correclty- or rather misunderstanding what I meant in it.

I had two worlds, a mundane and a magical one- with players being magical creatures in the mundane world who can't reveal what they are save to one human (a bit of a magical girl plot). I had the magical world governed by a Demon King (Demi-Human King) and made sure to mention that 'demon' is short for 'demi-human' and players signed up for a slice of life with a bit of mystery in it.

Well- this player specifically decided to A) not hide B) summon the Demon King to the Mundane world to do battle with him.

The player even RPed the Demon King and ruined everything.

Players left angry at him, I left the RP to him, and in the end out of 16 players only four remained to carry on what ever plot that was.

What I mean is- you can't auto-pilot the thing. As you say, you've got to influence the players somehow. I've tried to do so through NPCs, and OP posts designed to inform players that another event is going on in their area.

-snip-
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Olthenia wrote:

"Good evening passangers, I know you all got a ticket for one crazy ride but I'm gonna step back from the controls for a while and see what happens- enjoy the flight!"

.... That being said yeah that's what I've been doing; not a really a plot just a scenario.

"Hello players, ya'll have read the OP I hope- so get on to it and I'll play any old NPC that gets mentioned."

It works for a while but then the players start going in many directions- sometimes contradicting each other over what's happening here or there. Which is where the part you mention about 'helping them cooperate' comes into play.

It's enjoyable for a while but then the players start ignoring you all together and - well I leave to let them do their own thing. Like I still need to be involved somehow or I'm just not doing anything. To be upfront the last time I fully abandoned an RP like that was due to one player 'NOT" reading the OP correclty- or rather misunderstanding what I meant in it.

I had two worlds, a mundane and a magical one- with players being magical creatures in the mundane world who can't reveal what they are save to one human (a bit of a magical girl plot). I had the magical world governed by a Demon King (Demi-Human King) and made sure to mention that 'demon' is short for 'demi-human' and players signed up for a slice of life with a bit of mystery in it.

Well- this player specifically decided to A) not hide B) summon the Demon King to the Mundane world to do battle with him.

Players left angry at him, I left the RP to him, and in the end out of 16 players only four remained to carry on what ever plot that was.

What I mean is- you can't auto-pilot the thing. As you say, you've got to influence the players somehow. I've tried to do so through NPCs, and OP posts designed to inform players that another event is going on in their area.

Edit: It just seems that RPs with a plot actually go places- like the series I was first in on NS- it had a plot- we got 5 RPs out of the setting because it had a plot. We made our own characters and we all got swept up in the plot which was laid out;

RP 1 - Rebellion
RP 2 - Coming Apocaplyse
RP 3 - The End of the World

---- We players rebelled against the OP and took over the RP Setting during the 2nd RP. We didn't want to see our characters die in an apocalypse that the World Government we overthrew was preventing. Who wants to have that burden? So we made the 2nd RP a political thriller and the 3rd RP a Prequel and then had a none canon sequel, and then a School RP as a spin off (focused on the children of our characters and the new student characters made by new players). The plot of the school RP was about how Metahumans are treated in the new state of Japan; which was a bit like the old world government. So we where students with stuff about that going on and plans for an attack upon the school to take place. It just proved too much for us to handle- it was too much like the first RP- where we where hunted- so many of us left due to stress- it was like- we overthrew that type of society before and didn't want to live in it again. So that last RP failed. But that's still a good run.

You need a hug so badly, my man. :hug:

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Harbertia wrote:"Good evening passangers, I know you all got a ticket for one crazy ride but I'm gonna step back from the controls for a while and see what happens- enjoy the flight!"

Edit: It just seems that RPs with a plot actually go places- like the series I was first in on NS- it had a plot- we got 5 RPs out of the setting because it had a plot. We made our own characters and we all got swept up in the plot which was laid out;

RP 1 - Rebellion
RP 2 - Coming Apocaplyse
RP 3 - The End of the World

---- We players rebelled against the OP and took over the RP Setting during the 2nd RP. We didn't want to see our characters die in an apocalypse that the World Government we overthrew was preventing. Who wants to have that burden? So we made the 2nd RP a political thriller and the 3rd RP a Prequel and then had a none canon sequel, and then a School RP as a spin off (focused on the children of our characters and the new student characters made by new players). The plot of the school RP was about how Metahumans are treated in the new state of Japan; which was a bit like the old world government. So we where students with stuff about that going on and plans for an attack upon the school to take place. It just proved too much for us to handle- it was too much like the first RP- where we where hunted- so many of us left due to stress- it was like- we overthrew that type of society before and didn't want to live in it again. So that last RP failed. But that's still a good run.

Thank you :hug: I didn't realize I even needed that. Thank you so very much.
Tomorrow is made today.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Harbertia wrote:

Thank you :hug: I didn't realize I even needed that. Thank you so very much.

I think I had something similar happened to me in a RP, where I decided to accept someone as a NPC, even though I closed the sign-ups.

RPs I do

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Harbertia wrote:Thank you :hug: I didn't realize I even needed that. Thank you so very much.

I think I had something similar happened to me in a RP, where I decided to accept someone as a NPC, even though I closed the sign-ups.

What happened with that?
Tomorrow is made today.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Harbertia wrote:

What happened with that?

The RP sorta died out like any other RP, though I was impressed in myself that it survived so long.

RPs I do

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:56 pm

Harbertia wrote:What happened with that?

The RP sorta died out like any other RP, though I was impressed in myself that it survived so long.

That's always a good thing :) I sometimes look back at the RPs I've hosted and been surprised at realizing how long they actually went on. The mind tends to condense memories so one often forgets just how long things where. A bit like this year- it's already August but it seems like the year only just got started. At least to me.
Tomorrow is made today.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:59 pm

Now I'm feeling both anxious and eager to attempt my skateboarding RP that I had the idea for. I have literally out of the blue stuff next week, so I can try to write something up before that happens, but this RP is going to be very experimental, so..

RPs I do

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:18 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:Now I'm feeling both anxious and eager to attempt my skateboarding RP that I had the idea for. I have literally out of the blue stuff next week, so I can try to write something up before that happens, but this RP is going to be very experimental, so..

Hey :) Try it. I too have done experiments on NS in the past.

Just because it hasn't been done on NS before or perhaps ever doesn't mean it'll fail :)

Some experiments I've done;

1 - An RP with episodic cases and only two player characters. Anyone can post as these two characters and players step into the IC to keep the story flowing. It was more in that fashion a 'cooperative writing' project. It was called 'Zach & Jillian: Paranormal Investigators'. The players had quite the narrative going with that one and it's still talked about- like they came up with the idea of having it in the OM&T setting. It's an awesome read but didn't get around to other players jumping in (because I wasn't a keen OP back then and didn't mention the concept on the OP thread so only those in my RP group knew the experiment :/ That was certainly my error)

2 - A combination Mafia RP + Court Room Drama; it was called 'Secret Lizard: Scales of Justice' and focused on the handing of secret roles (like a Mafia Game) behind the scenes of a court case where a character stands accused of being a Lizard (a tad silly yeah hahaha). The Lizards want the court to convict an innocent so Humans stop believing the Lizards exist (allowing the Lizards to live anonymously among them) while also wanting to prevent a Lizard from being convicted if charged. Humans want to convict a Lizard but only Lizards know who the other Lizards are. Players had public roles in addition to the secret Human or Lizard roles. Those public roles where Judge (always the OP), Defense Attorney, Prosecution Attorney, Multiple Witnesses for both Defense and Prosecution. It only ceased to see activity when one player got too - silly. That player named their character 'Liz Mann' (and no the character wasn't a Lizard). But that name proved too silly for the other players who stopped posting. But up until that point the RP was succeeding :D I couldn't tell them the character isn't a Lizard so I had to let them leave on the assumption that the player had given himself up. A bit like playing 'Town of Salem' where one player in the Mafia lets everyone know who's in it and ruins the game. The player in Secret Lizard wasn't doing that but the name still was enough to provoke a reaction as if he had.

----

Experiments teach us things, and expand the possible. So give it a shot 8) See what happens, and learn.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Olthenia wrote:
Esternial wrote:One is like taking off with an airplane, the other is actually flying it while its airborne.

I will chime in and say that I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on OP style, because thread success depends more on having a dedicated player base and on how competent the OP is at executing their given style than the style itself.

I've never had success letting players choose plots, though, whatsoever. When I have found success in making threads, the format is usually along the lines of the characters getting put in a heavily scripted situation that needs to be responded to in whatever way the players choose. Of course, player actions can still impact the story. Handle the first scenario in one way, and the second scenario will have a different background, and so on. I would say that my current thread is my most successful one this calendar year, and it definitely tells what you could call a main story. On the other hand, I've tried to go for story arcs that are created by players before, and run into problems with key players not having the time to play them out fully, endangering the thread in the process, or players trying to add arcs into the main timeline that there isn't a ton of interest in thread wide and are only relevant to their character personally.

I also ran an open world RP that was really just a setting where people could pursue any plot line that didn't break the setting's internal logic or ruin the game for everyone else by introducing overpowered strength levels. And well, that was a massive flop, my biggest flop in recent memory even. Everyone just went to the independents faction and got bored after there was no interaction until the thread died after a few pages. 11 OOC pages to be specific. I've also been in threads by others that just die without enough glue holding them together.

So yeah, I dunno. You can make arguments for both methods. I really think OP skill and thread format are two disconnected things almost entirely. I don't think having players create plots is automatically better, either for quality or for actually preventing the thread from dying.
don't tread on me

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:27 am

Harbertia wrote:

hmm....

It's like I don't want to have an end in mind because then I know what to expect- but as the host I tend have an idea of what to expect- players surprise me so it's still exciting having to adapt to their unforeseen action- but still- I think I enjoy being a player rather then a host. It's just- there are not always RPs that interest me up so I get the desire to start something of interest to me to gather a group of players to experience such with.

I certainly do find RPs of interest on NS; it's just sometimes you get in the mood for something that no one else is hosting at that time, yah?

I know the feeling. My RPs just tend to sort of die.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:10 am

I think the next RP project I want to attempt is a police procedural, loosely inspired by TV shows like CSI and NCIS. No idea on setting or what sort of law enforcement agency I want it to follow though but chances are it will be set somewhere in the United States or Canada simply because that's what I'm familiar with.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Armenda
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Armenda » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:40 am

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
Please provide as much detail as possible.
RP's Overarching Concept: Character RP set in a medieval city, which is full of political strife.
Genre/s: Historical, politics, medieval
Character or Faction Based: Character
Detailed Description: There is a coastal city, inside an impossibly large Empire, that is currently going through immense political strife. The city is largely autonomous, and ruled by a prince. The prince is dying, and he has no son - except one bastard son, who the prince, hoping to save his dynasty, legitimises as heir. Of course, the people are shocked, but the city's soldiers are largely favouring the new bastard prince. At the same time, patricians and other merchants find it the perfect time to topple the monarchic system and establish the city as a merchant republic, while nearby nobles turn their glance here, hoping to take control of this prosperous state. The player is an immigrant - they can be whoever they want, an old patriarch with his family or even a young boy looking to make his fortune - and they influence how life in the city works. This will largely be based on manipulation and politics - maybe a player character will manipulate the military into supporting him, and toppling the prince, or perhaps a bunch of players will establish a merchant republic. Who knows.

Need Help With: Is this feasible? Apologies for the terrible writing. It's 00:40 and I'm half asleep. If you think this could do with a little more elaborating, I'll write more on it in a while.

Please leave this hashtag in place: #Mentorhelp

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:49 pm

Olthenia wrote:

Your pilot doesn't book your ticket for you. They just help you get to your destination.
Last edited by Esternial on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Dayganistan wrote:I think the next RP project I want to attempt is a police procedural, loosely inspired by TV shows like CSI and NCIS. No idea on setting or what sort of law enforcement agency I want it to follow though but chances are it will be set somewhere in the United States or Canada simply because that's what I'm familiar with.

I kind of remember one of those two shoes- or Bones. Yeah I remember Bones. In regards to a police procedural I know a bit about an older style of setting. One that- due to how much I watched the show I - well- when L.A. Noir came out I had no trouble finding locations in town. That's how much I watched this old show. It's based on and written by the same people who did the radio drama that made Police Procedural a definitive genre.

Again I know vague little bits about one of those two shows you mentioned but I can't remember which of them- so a modern procedural will be unfamiliar to me :/ Still I can always learn a bit to further help. A bit like you said, familiarity.

Since I'm familiar with the US and do recall watching a bit of - I think Flashpoint- that was Canadian- I have some knowledge of it too. But still- I'm a tad out of the loop but I can still help in some fashion.

"Dragnet, the documented drama of an actual crime. For the next 30 minutes in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you'll travel step-by-step on the side of the law through an actual case transcribe from official police files. From beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force in action."

I really can't put into words how being familiar with this old show prepared me for the L.A. Noir game.
Last edited by Harbertia on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:I think the next RP project I want to attempt is a police procedural, loosely inspired by TV shows like CSI and NCIS. No idea on setting or what sort of law enforcement agency I want it to follow though but chances are it will be set somewhere in the United States or Canada simply because that's what I'm familiar with.

I kind of remember one of those two shoes- or Bones. Yeah I remember Bones. In regards to a police procedural I know a bit about an older style of setting. One that- due to how much I watched the show I - well- when L.A. Noir came out I had no trouble finding locations in town. That's how much I watched this old show. It's based on and written by the same people who did the radio drama that made Police Procedural a definitive genre.

Again I know vague little bits about one of those two shows you mentioned but I can't remember which of them- so a modern procedural will be unfamiliar to me :/ Still I can always learn a bit to further help. A bit like you said, familiarity.

Since I'm familiar with the US and do recall watching a bit of - I think Flashpoint- that was Canadian- I have some knowledge of it too. But still- I'm a tad out of the loop but I can still help in some fashion.

"Dragnet, the documented drama of an actual crime. For the next 30 minutes in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you'll travel step-by-step on the side of the law through an actual case transcribe from official police files. From beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force in action."

I really can't put into words how being familiar with this old show prepared me for the L.A. Noir game.

Well, upon further thinking about it my idea would probably involve a unit of the RCMP tasked with investigating federal crimes and threats to national security in a large Canadian city. Probably Vancouver or Calgary because Toronto is done to death when any sort of media needs a Canadian city for its setting. I also thought about doing something involving DEA agents in a city near the US-Mexican border but I think the RCMP idea would lend itself to a wider variety of scenarios rather than just busting drug smugglers in the DEA idea.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Duestchstien
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Duestchstien » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:59 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept: Players take the stage in Hollywood companies as Directors, Producers, Actors or Executives, trying to advance their own agendas. This would be a combination of a slice of life RP as well as a faction RP.
Genre/s: Slice of Life, Faction, Corporation
Character or Faction Based: Mostly Character, a bit of faction
Detailed Description: Players will take the role of Executives trying to make their studio and production company the best company in hollywood, directors and producers try to make their dreams come true by making their ideas movies so that they can become the best directors in hollywood, meanwhile actors are trying to break into hollywood or maintain their position as #1 in hollywood. This will involve both real life people and their own ficticous characters.

Need Help With: Developing RP and figuring out mechanics.

Feel free to criticize, not to attached to this RP yet.
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Dayganistan wrote:
Harbertia wrote:I kind of remember one of those two shoes- or Bones. Yeah I remember Bones. In regards to a police procedural I know a bit about an older style of setting. One that- due to how much I watched the show I - well- when L.A. Noir came out I had no trouble finding locations in town. That's how much I watched this old show. It's based on and written by the same people who did the radio drama that made Police Procedural a definitive genre.

Well, upon further thinking about it my idea would probably involve a unit of the RCMP tasked with investigating federal crimes and threats to national security in a large Canadian city. Probably Vancouver or Calgary because Toronto is done to death when any sort of media needs a Canadian city for its setting. I also thought about doing something involving DEA agents in a city near the US-Mexican border but I think the RCMP idea would lend itself to a wider variety of scenarios rather than just busting drug smugglers in the DEA idea.

I like this RCMP concept :) I have the first season of 'Sergeant Preston of the Yukon' in my DVD collection and was involved in world building the Fallout Canada setting (two of them actually). :) So yeah while I'm not familiar with modern times that well (despite living in them) as stated I can learn.

My family kept me rather isolated from outside media for many years- the first game system I played was the Atari 2600 during the late 1990s. I grew up watching what ever my dad had recorded on VHS, and didn't get to watch Cable until my grandmother got it- so I could watch it while away from my home. I've had an interesting life in that regards- it's made me a little disconnected from my own generation save in 90s Cartoons :D 'Hey Arnold', 'Arthur', 'Courage the Cowardly Dog', etc but that's getting off topic :p hahahah
Tomorrow is made today.

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Duestchstien wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept: Players take the stage in Hollywood companies as Directors, Producers, Actors or Executives, trying to advance their own agendas. This would be a combination of a slice of life RP as well as a faction RP.
Detailed Description: Players will take the role of Executives trying to make their studio and production company the best company in hollywood, directors and producers try to make their dreams come true by making their ideas movies so that they can become the best directors in hollywood, meanwhile actors are trying to break into hollywood or maintain their position as #1 in hollywood. This will involve both real life people and their own ficticous characters.

Sounds like a fun thread. I do want to ask, however, how you plan on keeping the important characters interacting with each other. In vast RPss that cover a number of types of people such as directors, producers, actors, etc, it's easy for everyone to run off to do their own thing and the thread dies as people don't interact and generate activity. Are there any planned events, or is it a complete sandbox?
don't tread on me

Duestchstien
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Duestchstien » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Forest State wrote:
Duestchstien wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST

Sounds like a fun thread. I do want to ask, however, how you plan on keeping the important characters interacting with each other. In vast RPss that cover a number of types of people such as directors, producers, actors, etc, it's easy for everyone to run off to do their own thing and the thread dies as people don't interact and generate activity. Are there any planned events, or is it a complete sandbox?

I hadn't really planned on putting events in, I suppose there will be now.
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse