NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 4: Brainstorming, Discussion, Tea, Advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:07 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST

Apocalypse: 1936
RP's Overarching Concept: Answering the grim question of what if WWI never officially ended and how badly it could have gotten. With the Great War gone amok to the point of bringing widespread societal wreckage to the point that the ideas of duty and patriotism have blurred with survival and primal instinct as the world nosedives closer into anarchy and an apocalypse.
Genre/s: Alt-History, PT, WWII
Character or Faction Based: Faction
Detailed Description: The year is 1936, the Great War has been raging nonstop for over two decades, with no discernible end in sight, becoming the most devastating and costly war in human existence, and its most threatening. The Western Front has been bombed, shelled, and gassed to the stone age, devolving into an anarchic wasteland full of roving gangs and survivalist groups who cower in fear as Entente and Central Bombers fly daily over their heads to keep no man's land barely habitual, and their enemies infrastructure in constant disrepair.

The rest of the world didn't fare much better, there was no roaring twenties and an ongoing wartime depression has economically bankrupted the majority of countries. Worse still Spanish Influenza was weaponized into a biological agent and has devastated much of the globe's population along with constant unrestricted use of chemical weapons. While many nations had ended backing out of the war after losing so much, some like Germany and France fight to the bitter end and to the point of borderline insanity.

The world teeters on the edge of total societal collapse, how the nations of the world will now guide themselves in this grim world they created is new challenge presented.

Need Help With: Gauging interest and figuring how I would want to play this out.

Please leave this hashtag in place: #Mentorhelp
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:57 pm

One concept the saturation of super powered RPs had me and a friend tossing around to insert a new spin: post-apocalypse scenario created by some large scale clash between super powered armies or individuals, cold-war-gone-hot style, that ended in worldwide devastation. Could be fun to explore the world’s new perceptions of the ethics of using powers, efforts by more radical survivors to eradicate supers, etc.
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Check out The Living Waste of Mekhallah, an original low-fantasy setting.

Nejii
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Hello there! I’ve a query...

Postby Nejii » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:09 am

So, I’ve had an idea for some time now about a science fiction roleplay. Unfortunately I’m constantly hitting mental road blocks and I’m torn about what directions to take with the general setting, backstory, “gameplay” mechanics, and even if it should be a single character or a faction based RP.

So, I’ve come to you lot with a few questions. But first, here’s the skeletal construct;

Set over a hundred years from now, this RP follows the events of Earths final days as mankind must take to space to find a new world to call home. Taking a basic premise from Sid Meiers Civilizations: Beyond Earth, our planet was dying. Overpopulation, resource exhaustion, and global warming and ecosystem pollution was rotting away humanities’ world. In an effort to find new worlds suitable for humanity and to ensure the preservation of our species, “seed ships” containing hundreds of thousands of interstellar colonists were sent off into the unknown abyss of space.

Thousands of light years from our solar system, several of these seed ships eventually touched down on an alien world. A tropical hothouse planet overgrown with super-fungus, jungles of tendril like vines and writhing trees, and home to creatures unlike anything ever imagined. The colonists face many challenges adapting to this new world; parasitic bacteria and microorganisms, discovering viable food sources, and erecting settlements and surveying the lands around them.

Added to the challenges of settling this alien planet is the discovery that this world is already inhabited by an aggressive semi-sapient alien species called the ”Rith”. A species that is unwelcoming to the newly arrived humans. As the colonies grow and a functional human society is established, the Rith only advance their efforts in deterring the expansion of these humans. Simple raids and guerilla tactics are replaced with major assaults, biological warfare, and destruction of necessary infrastructure such as air filters and water processors.

The colonists also discover that they were not the first to arrive here, as scientists stumble across the buried ruins of an ancient alien city. Ancient data archives recovered the ruins suggest that those who came before (the Precursors as they will be called) warred with the Rith just as the humans are now, and were destroyed despite their advanced technology. Some of the technology recovered from the ruins include advanced adaptive cybernetics, cloning technology, and bionics and “genetic manipulation”. The colonies are divided in approach, some suggest implememting the Precursor tech and improving upon humanity completely ( :twisted: ). Some suggest minimal use simply to improve life on the planet and nothing more. And some say that the Precusor tech is obviously flawed and relying on it would doom humanity. “After all, look what happened to the Precursors.”

So the three major arcs of the RP will be; Colonization and land grabbing (Ideal for a faction RP.), discovering the lost secrets of the Precursors, and the war with the Rith and understanding their uncanny manipulation of the world itself as well as learning the chilling truth their origins.

So, to sum up in one sentence; A near-earth fungal world overrun by hostile aliens (sapient and animalistic) that holds both the future for mankind and the secrets of a lost civilization who’s mistakes mankind must not follow.

Now, to my questions;
1. Character or faction RP? I’m legitimately torn fifty-fifty. Input please.

2. Which of the three story arcs should really have the most focus and impact on the events of the RP? Should I try to split the bill or push extra in one certain direction? Which do you think players would really engage most in?

3. The planets biome and alien life forms (including the Rith); symbiotic and linked via super hive mind or no?

4. Colonial sponsors? Nation ideas? Faction ideas?

I’m really invested in this idea and would like to construct it into an RP, granted it will be a couple of weeks I’d estimate, but still...
Last edited by Nejii on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Radical centrist tilting more and more to the right (socially)...

The Horst-Wessel-Lied is very catchy.

Growing more unapologetic by the day.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:55 am

Nejii wrote:1. Character or faction RP? I’m legitimately torn fifty-fifty. Input please.

My preference is always towards a faction RP. Double points if you have gameplay mechanics as well. :p

Nejii wrote:2. Which of the three story arcs should really have the most focus and impact on the events of the RP? Should I try to split the bill or push extra in one certain direction? Which do you think players would really engage most in?

4X-themed science fiction RPs are a dime a dozen. I'd really like to see you take a more innovative route, setting the main "plot" focus on the Precursors and the Rith, with the colonisation and expansion being more just the backdrop against which these things happen.

Nejii wrote:3. The planets biome and alien life forms (including the Rith); symbiotic and linked via super hive mind or no?

A partial/soft hive mind along the lines of Avatar's Pandora could be an interesting enemy.

Nejii wrote:4. Colonial sponsors? Nation ideas? Faction ideas?

If you decide to go with a faction-based concept, it'll probably be best if you leave this to your roleplayers and have them design their own factions. If you decide to go with a character-based concept where that's not viable, well, unless you want to use your choice of factions to imply something I don't see much reason to deviate from the usual NASA/Roscosmos/CNSA/ESA set.
Last edited by Plzen on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:11 am

Lancearc wrote:One concept the saturation of super powered RPs had me and a friend tossing around to insert a new spin: post-apocalypse scenario created by some large scale clash between super powered armies or individuals, cold-war-gone-hot style, that ended in worldwide devastation. Could be fun to explore the world’s new perceptions of the ethics of using powers, efforts by more radical survivors to eradicate supers, etc.

Given the (I think success) of the show 'Into the Badlands' I can see this going well.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:40 am

This FT RP idea kind of reminds me of another Sid Meier game, that being Alpha Centauri (or at least the "humanity go to new planet and have to deal with alien life that works as a hive-mind" part of it).
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:41 pm

Plzen wrote:
Nejii wrote:1. Character or faction RP? I’m legitimately torn fifty-fifty. Input please.

My preference is always towards a faction RP. Double points if you have gameplay mechanics as well. :p

Nejii wrote:2. Which of the three story arcs should really have the most focus and impact on the events of the RP? Should I try to split the bill or push extra in one certain direction? Which do you think players would really engage most in?

4X-themed science fiction RPs are a dime a dozen. I'd really like to see you take a more innovative route, setting the main "plot" focus on the Precursors and the Rith, with the colonisation and expansion being more just the backdrop against which these things happen.

Nejii wrote:3. The planets biome and alien life forms (including the Rith); symbiotic and linked via super hive mind or no?

A partial/soft hive mind along the lines of Avatar's Pandora could be an interesting enemy.

Nejii wrote:4. Colonial sponsors? Nation ideas? Faction ideas?

If you decide to go with a faction-based concept, it'll probably be best if you leave this to your roleplayers and have them design their own factions. If you decide to go with a character-based concept where that's not viable, well, unless you want to use your choice of factions to imply something I don't see much reason to deviate from the usual NASA/Roscosmos/CNSA/ESA set.

The more I think about it the better a faction basis sounds. Even in the most elaborately written RP players face numerous limitations with a single character only.

I also agree with you regarding plot arc direction. Colonization will be a groundwork basis including the establishment of government and a functioning society and economy. The meat of the plot/storyline itself will be the Precursor legacy and the events regarding the Rith and their origins.

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:42 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:This FT RP idea kind of reminds me of another Sid Meier game, that being Alpha Centauri (or at least the "humanity go to new planet and have to deal with alien life that works as a hive-mind" part of it).

It was heavily inspired by Civ: Beyond Earth and holds lightweight inspiration from Mass Effect.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 pm

I am planning on creating a Post-Apocalyptic RP in September. Any advice?

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 pm

Flarbinia wrote:I am planning on creating a Post-Apocalyptic RP in September. Any advice?

Try to think of something that seperates it from the other Post-Apoc RPs out there.
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Eclius
Senator

Founded: Oct 24, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eclius » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Flarbinia wrote:I am planning on creating a Post-Apocalyptic RP in September. Any advice?

Try to think of something that seperates it from the other Post-Apoc RPs out there.

Agreed, I think generic post-apoc RPs are too boring. Maybe try something new like an RP similar to The 100 or Civ:BE (ie high tech post-apoc instead back-to-stone-age post-apoc. I think the latter is too generic).
We do NOT use NS stats since it's not the most accurate reflection
Eclisian Herald News Network
||Local man sent to hospital after eating a pack of 14 years old Kraft mac'n cheese||Schools to resume operation in coming weeks||All domestic flights resumed||10% off vacation to Democratic East Asia today, book yours today!||

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:40 pm

How about a RP set during the apocalypse? Like if a zombie apocalypse would happen, and the characters would be trying to survive the chaos. I know a Walking Dead RP that dealt with this.

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:46 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:How about a RP set during the apocalypse? Like if a zombie apocalypse would happen, and the characters would be trying to survive the chaos. I know a Walking Dead RP that dealt with this.

I would be onboard to join that. Most zombie apocalypse RP’s are set months or years after the initial outbreak. To me some of the best zombie apocalypse settings are amid the outbreak. Societal collapse combined with growing hordes of undead/infected win out over a derelict town with a few foot shufflers every time. That’s just my input though.

PS~Runners over walkers FTW.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:27 pm

I'm going to have the prologue take place during the apocalypse. That way, the players can flesh out their character's backstories without having to rely on flashbacks.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Nejii wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:How about a RP set during the apocalypse? Like if a zombie apocalypse would happen, and the characters would be trying to survive the chaos. I know a Walking Dead RP that dealt with this.

I would be onboard to join that. Most zombie apocalypse RP’s are set months or years after the initial outbreak. To me some of the best zombie apocalypse settings are amid the outbreak. Societal collapse combined with growing hordes of undead/infected win out over a derelict town with a few foot shufflers every time. That’s just my input though.

PS~Runners over walkers FTW.

Showing the societal collapse is very good for worldbuilding, pretty much.

RPs I do

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:49 pm

I'm interested, if I have the time.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

I'm interested, if I have the time.

I will send you the link once I have made the OOC.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:46 am

Flarbinia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I'm interested, if I have the time.

I will send you the link once I have made the OOC.

Just as a heads up, I'll be out of contact all of next week.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:17 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Flarbinia wrote:I will send you the link once I have made the OOC.

Just as a heads up, I'll be out of contact all of next week.

The post-apocalyptic RP doesn't start until September.

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:00 am

Idea for a post-apocalyptic setting, some sort of virus unleashes on earth and people just start turning into horrifying abominations and monstrosities of the SCP/Urban Myth variety. At first people didn't believe it was happening and that it was just a new meme because the infected wouldn't come out during the day and were preferring to stick to places where people weren't, but then one day, it all breaks down and people realize this is actually happening. The RP would start in a small town and people in the town would have to find a way to escape a sudden onslaught of the monstrosities before they too become infected, the only problem is no one knows how its happening or why which only makes it even more terrifying.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:13 am

Kassaran wrote:Idea for a post-apocalyptic setting, some sort of virus unleashes on earth and people just start turning into horrifying abominations and monstrosities of the SCP/Urban Myth variety. At first people didn't believe it was happening and that it was just a new meme because the infected wouldn't come out during the day and were preferring to stick to places where people weren't, but then one day, it all breaks down and people realize this is actually happening. The RP would start in a small town and people in the town would have to find a way to escape a sudden onslaught of the monstrosities before they too become infected, the only problem is no one knows how its happening or why which only makes it even more terrifying.

I was thinking of a post-apocalyptic setting which is basically like The Stand. No zombies. No monsters. Just humans trying to survive, as humanity appears to be dying out from a virus that removes all hope.

RPs I do

Eclius
Senator

Founded: Oct 24, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eclius » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Kassaran wrote:Idea for a post-apocalyptic setting, some sort of virus unleashes on earth and people just start turning into horrifying abominations and monstrosities of the SCP/Urban Myth variety. At first people didn't believe it was happening and that it was just a new meme because the infected wouldn't come out during the day and were preferring to stick to places where people weren't, but then one day, it all breaks down and people realize this is actually happening. The RP would start in a small town and people in the town would have to find a way to escape a sudden onslaught of the monstrosities before they too become infected, the only problem is no one knows how its happening or why which only makes it even more terrifying.

I was thinking of a post-apocalyptic setting which is basically like The Stand. No zombies. No monsters. Just humans trying to survive, as humanity appears to be dying out from a virus that removes all hope.

Awesome, thank you! I think zombies and monsters are incredibly overused, it's good to have something fresh and doesn't go by the walking dead/fallout cliche.
We do NOT use NS stats since it's not the most accurate reflection
Eclisian Herald News Network
||Local man sent to hospital after eating a pack of 14 years old Kraft mac'n cheese||Schools to resume operation in coming weeks||All domestic flights resumed||10% off vacation to Democratic East Asia today, book yours today!||

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:17 pm

hey guys, i was thinking of having a animal RP. Kind of based on the Redwall series. Most of the creature as the mice would have their own kingdoms as such. It would be like a real medieval world. There would be multiple conquerors. In the middle of the land would be a peaceful kingdom protected by an agreement. The creatures would be squirrels, mice, otters, moles, voles, shrew, hares, badgers, hedghogs, rats, stoats, weasels,foxes, toads, lizards, crows, snakes, and wildcats. Any interested?

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm

Romextly wrote:hey guys, i was thinking of having a animal RP. Kind of based on the Redwall series. Most of the creature as the mice would have their own kingdoms as such. It would be like a real medieval world. There would be multiple conquerors. In the middle of the land would be a peaceful kingdom protected by an agreement. The creatures would be squirrels, mice, otters, moles, voles, shrew, hares, badgers, hedghogs, rats, stoats, weasels,foxes, toads, lizards, crows, snakes, and wildcats. Any interested?

I thought there was a Redwall RP already going.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Flarbinia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Just as a heads up, I'll be out of contact all of next week.

The post-apocalyptic RP doesn't start until September.

Sounds good. I must've missed that bit.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse