NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 4: Brainstorming, Discussion, Tea, Advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Minahasa
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Minahasa » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:52 am

A roleplay based on Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk universe and set in Night City itself would be really dope. Having players roleplay as police officers, psychosquads, cyberpsychos, corporate agents/executives, gangers, etc.
Last edited by New Minahasa on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:55 pm

New Minahasa wrote:A roleplay based on Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk universe and set in Night City itself would be really dope. Having players roleplay as police officers, psychosquads, cyberpsychos, corporate agents/executives, gangers, etc.

I am unfamiliar with that setting.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:18 pm

Flarbinia wrote:
New Minahasa wrote:A roleplay based on Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk universe and set in Night City itself would be really dope. Having players roleplay as police officers, psychosquads, cyberpsychos, corporate agents/executives, gangers, etc.

I am unfamiliar with that setting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:38 am

Tiltjuice wrote:
Flarbinia wrote:I am unfamiliar with that setting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077

Thank you for clearing that up.

Nuridia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuridia » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Hey guys! I haven't put up a new RP in months, mainly because I'm scared it'd flop like all my other ones. I'm considering a Junior Gods reboot but it kinda flopped the first two times...what do y'all think? It was a great story, people loved it, it was just me not being able to get a hang of the management aspect.
Uru, Queen of Diamonds.
The Diamond card suit represents fire, strength and power. Sister of the Queen of Hearts, Queen of Spades and the Queen of Clubs.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Nuridia wrote:Hey guys! I haven't put up a new RP in months, mainly because I'm scared it'd flop like all my other ones. I'm considering a Junior Gods reboot but it kinda flopped the first two times...what do y'all think? It was a great story, people loved it, it was just me not being able to get a hang of the management aspect.

Go for it.

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:15 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
Please provide as much detail as possible.
RP's Overarching Concept: Police RP set in a large U.S. city (currently Washington D.C. is my #1 pick) with shorter, simplier story lines and investigations at the beggining turning into a single, large plotline.
Genre/s: Crime, Detective, Police
Character or Faction Based: Character
Detailed Description:
The RP would be set in a real world version of Washington D.C. (without elements of fantasy). Players would role play policemen from various background with various duties, although I would much rather keep them limited to a single precinct. Player characters would be involved in a number of investigations of various types and levels of difficulty as well as other police related activities. We would start small and have PC's gain some experience before moving to larger and more difficult storylines.

As mentioned previously the RP would be located in a major U.S. City (to be decided, I stated my prefference), where we could explore and discover various interesting possibilities that come with this choice.

Need Help With:

- Deciding on the specific details,
- Writing storylines
- Advice and help with researching information about the specifics of police work during the RP.

Please leave this hashtag in place: #Mentorhelp
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:52 pm

Alozia wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept: Police RP set in a large U.S. city (currently Washington D.C. is my #1 pick) with shorter, simplier story lines and investigations at the beggining turning into a single, large plotline.
Detailed Description:
The RP would be set in a real world version of Washington D.C. (without elements of fantasy). Players would role play policemen from various background with various duties, although I would much rather keep them limited to a single precinct. Player characters would be involved in a number of investigations of various types and levels of difficulty as well as other police related activities. We would start small and have PC's gain some experience before moving to larger and more difficult storylines.

As mentioned previously the RP would be located in a major U.S. City (to be decided, I stated my prefference), where we could explore and discover various interesting possibilities that come with this choice.

Need Help With:

- Writing storylines
- Advice and help with researching information about the specifics of police work during the RP.

I'd probably be interested in this. If I could suggest something though it would be the player characters be part of some sort of federal law enforcement agency, would probably be more realistic to get involved with larger scale stuff than if they were just the regular local cops.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:41 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept: A TF2/Overwatch universe
Genre/s:Superhero, Mission-based, Plot-driven
Character or Faction Based:Characters
Detailed Description:
The rp takes place in the Overwatch universe 100 years after the TF2 Universe. Mann Co. has already closed down due to a third Congress investigation. Saxton Hale, Miss Pauling, and the Administrator are missing or dead after the company closed down. In its place, ULTRA (Utilities, Liaison, Technology, Rescue, and Assure) was formed with remnants of BLU after RED and BLU has collapsed through the age of time. The company's main source of profit is arms manufacturing. Meanwhile, Overwatch keeps its original timeline but with ULTRA acting as its main competitor after Overwatch was reestablished. While Overwatch is known for its moral and selfless members, ULTRA kept the old tradition of having a mercenary team that are made of of people who are considered to be rejects, misfits, or people who could care less about public reputation. The players have a choice of being part of ULTRA's mercenary group or part of Overwatch's initiates. The people who pick ULTRA have to make their characters in some way related to one of the TF2 classes in terms of combat style.
Need Help With:
- Co-Op for helping to plan missions
- Need advice for balancing gimmicks between the two universes as well as trying to connect them into a single timeline
- Creating a main goal in each mission that both organizations strive for
- setting up the OOC
- whether or not having two playable factions is a good idea
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Dayganistan wrote:
Detailed Description:

Need Help With:

- Writing storylines

I'd probably be interested in this. If I could suggest something though it would be the player characters be part of some sort of federal law enforcement agency, would probably be more realistic to get involved with larger scale stuff than if they were just the regular local cops.

this is jsut an observation, but depending upon the city, local cops could easily be pulled into larger things, if only to be boots on the ground, i think this is especially true for a city like DC, which does have more than a few federal agency offices in it, i believe, i may be wrong though.

That being said there could be a mix of local cops and others from different law enforcement branches, perhaps the rp starts with all the various characters being called in to be a part of a inter agency task force, or such?
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:

this is jsut an observation, but depending upon the city, local cops could easily be pulled into larger things, if only to be boots on the ground, i think this is especially true for a city like DC, which does have more than a few federal agency offices in it, i believe, i may be wrong though.

That being said there could be a mix of local cops and others from different law enforcement branches, perhaps the rp starts with all the various characters being called in to be a part of a inter agency task force, or such?

This could work. Either this or the RP could start with D.C. cops on smaller missions and then it would slowly progress into a bigger thing where new characters from different agencies would be introduced and an inter agency task force would be formed.
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Alozia wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:this is jsut an observation, but depending upon the city, local cops could easily be pulled into larger things, if only to be boots on the ground, i think this is especially true for a city like DC, which does have more than a few federal agency offices in it, i believe, i may be wrong though.

This could work. Either this or the RP could start with D.C. cops on smaller missions and then it would slowly progress into a bigger thing where new characters from different agencies would be introduced and an inter agency task force would be formed.

I would possibly suggest browsing the forums for previously created cop rps to take influence from or to do reasearch on rl equivalents, i cannot go into more detail at the moment, will try to contribute more at a later time.
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Nuridia wrote:Hey guys! I haven't put up a new RP in months, mainly because I'm scared it'd flop like all my other ones. I'm considering a Junior Gods reboot but it kinda flopped the first two times...what do y'all think? It was a great story, people loved it, it was just me not being able to get a hang of the management aspect.

I like the idea of doing it again. I really have enjoyed it. Practice makes perfect.

Sorry for being gone. I will have regular internet after or late into the 12th EST.
Last edited by Harbertia on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

The Batavia
Senator

Founded: May 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Batavia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:55 am

Detailed Description:

Need Help With:

- Writing storylines

Funny, I was thinking about a Police RP a little while ago
Ditched my old signature. Will be making a pretty looking one when I find the time.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:19 pm

The Cop rp interest me. I'll have full internet tomorrow.

Also, I know that fans of Mass Effect are still around even if the series is- well seems dead. I feel like doing something Turian based.
Tomorrow is made today.

Huntpublic
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Huntpublic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Detailed Description:

Need Help With:

- Writing storylines

Yo! I would be interested in this! I call the SWAT Team leader!
HUNTPUBLIC TIMES: The Huntpublican Military has joined the NATO planned Trident Juncture 2018, it's Amphibious Assault Forces will be working closely with U.S. Marines in a simulated naval invasion of Norway, 
more photos and videos to come!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:36 am

Harbertia wrote:The Cop rp interest me. I'll have full internet tomorrow.

Also, I know that fans of Mass Effect are still around even if the series is- well seems dead. I feel like doing something Turian based.

Well, you don't need a living series to have fans. Just look at how many Star Wars: Legends RPs we have had since Disney bought the canon :P
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Harbertia wrote:The Cop rp interest me. I'll have full internet tomorrow.

Well, you don't need a living series to have fans. Just look at how many Star Wars: Legends RPs we have had since Disney bought the canon :P

In Yoda voice: True, that is.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:

In Yoda voice: True, that is.

Very true 8) And I'm back- my internet is up- and I'm back and this time I own the account. Really my internet :)

I'll have to be on the look out for the Cop RP's OOC and reread the form to see what the creator needs help with.

For now I have to run off to my bank to cash a check.

In regards to Mass Effect the three things I am considering are;

• The Unification Wars - Just exploring the conflict through characters on various sides. Those fighting for their world and those fighting for unity under the Hierarchy.
  • Alternate History where the Hierarchy fails to Unite the Turian colonies and being one single world (pavalon) isn't the first Turian nation to be admitted into the Citidel- world the Fist Contact Wars happen in this history and how world the world be different with a lot of clannish militaristic Turian nations in the expanse? what situations could be explored.
  • First Contact War - ... I don't like the comic about it- feel it made it less of an ordeal - but the game went through lore changes across the trilogy (for example the Quarian Homeworld in MS3 is said to have no insect life and that such is why the Quarians need suits but Geth ships are modeled after insects and the original reason given was that living in the controlled environment of the flotila had weakened their immune system. The First Contact War like that example went through revisions).

What do ya'll think of any of these and any suggestions you have?
Tomorrow is made today.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Union Princes wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept: A TF2/Overwatch universe
Genre/s:Superhero, Mission-based, Plot-driven
Character or Faction Based:Characters
Detailed Description:
The rp takes place in the Overwatch universe 100 years after the TF2 Universe. Mann Co. has already closed down due to a third Congress investigation. Saxton Hale, Miss Pauling, and the Administrator are missing or dead after the company closed down. In its place, ULTRA (Utilities, Liaison, Technology, Rescue, and Assure) was formed with remnants of BLU after RED and BLU has collapsed through the age of time. The company's main source of profit is arms manufacturing. Meanwhile, Overwatch keeps its original timeline but with ULTRA acting as its main competitor after Overwatch was reestablished. While Overwatch is known for its moral and selfless members, ULTRA kept the old tradition of having a mercenary team that are made of of people who are considered to be rejects, misfits, or people who could care less about public reputation. The players have a choice of being part of ULTRA's mercenary group or part of Overwatch's initiates. The people who pick ULTRA have to make their characters in some way related to one of the TF2 classes in terms of combat style.
Need Help With:
- Co-Op for helping to plan missions
- Need advice for balancing gimmicks between the two universes as well as trying to connect them into a single timeline
- Creating a main goal in each mission that both organizations strive for
- setting up the OOC
- whether or not having two playable factions is a good idea

Having two playable factions should keep the RP from becoming stale, so go for it. Soldier is dating the Heavy's sister, so Jack Morrison/Soldier 76 can be their descendant (this is one way to connect the two universes). As for the main goals, Overwatch exists to protect the world from terrorists while ULTRA exists to protect businesses from terrorists.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:44 pm

So- I'm not that thrilled about doing a Mass Effect RP- found out that I'm just- feeling a missing something over not having a follow up to Andromeda (I didn't get to play until the bugs where fixed so I got the best experience.

So... I was left with so many questions and anticipation for a follow up that will never come.

Sure- I suppose I - could start an RP that picks up but the games are ones of choices and I doubt my Ryder would be close to that of anyone elses- and really I don't know any real Mass Effect fans on this site to discuss the concept with.

I wouldn't be able to bring a personal ending- so- it'd have to be something - ... eh... or I could just choose Ryder as my character- hm.... hmm....

Based on how no one said anything about the Turian ideas I guess it's not really an interesting topic-

A bit like my attempts at a 'pre-retcon' star trek RP.... not a large enough base of fans to have interest. Like Trekies exist but such pre retconn RPs are rather specific in audience- an audience even older then me I speculate.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm great at world building.

I'm great at RPing.

But when it comes to managing a plot- I- fail.

This puts me in an odd position. My settings are great- and I can be a great player.

But- sometimes I want to bring up a type of RP that isn't up- and share one of my settings- by hosting an RP- and I feel ill suited for that. Even when I write stories I don't see it linearly and just- go as it comes.

My RPs don't tend to have a real 'plot' - just a situation to springboard off of- and I fail to - react to players or feed players enough response for them to keep the momentum. The managing of multiple NPCs proves- challenging for me.

I find myself wondering- how should I interact with the RP community? From the looks of things I'm best suited for assisting in world building and taking part in RPs.

But that demands I wait for an RP to pop up that catches my interest as if I bring an idea up- I'll be expected to host it- and I can't expect anyone else to do so.
Tomorrow is made today.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Harbertia wrote:I'm great at world building.

I'm great at RPing.

This puts me in an odd position. My settings are great- and I can be a great player.

But- sometimes I want to bring up a type of RP that isn't up- and share one of my settings- by hosting an RP- and I feel ill suited for that. Even when I write stories I don't see it linearly and just- go as it comes.

My RPs don't tend to have a real 'plot' - just a situation to springboard off of- and I fail to - react to players or feed players enough response for them to keep the momentum. The managing of multiple NPCs proves- challenging for me.

I find myself wondering- how should I interact with the RP community? From the looks of things I'm best suited for assisting in world building and taking part in RPs.

But that demands I wait for an RP to pop up that catches my interest as if I bring an idea up- I'll be expected to host it- and I can't expect anyone else to do so.

I am a Dungeons and Dragons DM, and I love making plot. You hit me with a setting, I hit you with a plot, we work together?
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:

I'm great at RPing.

I am a Dungeons and Dragons DM, and I love making plot. You hit me with a setting, I hit you with a plot, we work together?

That is the best proposition I have heard in a long time :) I'll TG you and we will work together.
Tomorrow is made today.

Greater Loralia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Loralia » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:

I'm great at RPing.

I'm the same way with being in charge of things. I have some cool ideas, but fail in follow through of plot and organization and pacing sometimes, and can be harsh with how I apply punishments and might make snap judgments. I'd rather take a backseat - be the maker, OP, and rule creator, but not the enforcer of these rules unless absolutely necessary (like an abuse of Co-OP power).

Do you know if anyone would be willing to help me?

Sometimes I have great ideas, but they need more... thinking out, and are kind of experimental without that, and I can't do the thinking out.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse