NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 4: Brainstorming, Discussion, Tea, Advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:08 pm

Talchyon wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Are we allowed to make references to this in it?

Ha! That should be some character's theme music.

My name's not Shane, kid!
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Guuj Xaat Kil
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Guuj Xaat Kil » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:14 pm

Talchyon wrote:
Ha! That should be some character's theme music.

My name's not Shane, kid!

He left the town because the bartender didn't give him a drink.
Former Foreign Minister of the Federation of Allies.
Formerly [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], 8000 combined what the heck.

egg

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Guuj Xaat Kil wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:My name's not Shane, kid!

He left the town because the bartender didn't give him a drink.

I wanted a SASPARILLA! I'm outta here!
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Nuridia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuridia » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Hey guys, working on an RP and I'm torn on whether to make it full sandbox or sandbox with a plot.
Uru, Queen of Diamonds.
The Diamond card suit represents fire, strength and power. Sister of the Queen of Hearts, Queen of Spades and the Queen of Clubs.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Nuridia wrote:Hey guys, working on an RP and I'm torn on whether to make it full sandbox or sandbox with a plot.

What's the theme or the plot of it?

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Nuridia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuridia » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Nuridia wrote:Hey guys, working on an RP and I'm torn on whether to make it full sandbox or sandbox with a plot.

What's the theme or the plot of it?

Basically it revolves around the five main races of the continent of Sansara, they were each given an artifact by their supreme deity that controls the elements in order to maintain balance equally among them all...now two of the artifacts have turned up missing, and the other three may soon follow.
Uru, Queen of Diamonds.
The Diamond card suit represents fire, strength and power. Sister of the Queen of Hearts, Queen of Spades and the Queen of Clubs.

Wasi State
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Wasi State » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:21 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST

RP's Overarching Concept: Post-Apocalyptic RP set initially in the American Southwest (Fallout 1 and 2 style), based on a Boy and His Dog, I Have No Mouth and Must Scream, and The New Order: Last Days of Europe. Set in a world gone mad after an Axis Victory in WWII bringing much of it to its knees and finally to outright oblivion through nuclear hellfire. Requiring the survivors to pick up the pieces in the grim and grueling aftermath.
Genre/s: Post-Apocalyptic, Alt-History, retro 80s-PT.
Character or Faction Based: Faction based with break out characters expected in said factions.
Detailed Description:
Pre-War
Post-War Aftermath
Inital Player Map

The year is 1984, the omnicidal Heinrich Himmler of the Greater German Reich has just passed away and have set off his deadman switch to annihilate the world that was already in the midst of a four-way cold war in a quick and violent chain of nuclear hellfire. One of the last bastions of the Free World, the United States, is quickly wiped out in the ensuring chaos, leaving behind its struggling people in a desperate struggle for survival in this brave new world created through the events of Judgment Day. Now that the dust has settled, the immediate fallout has brought survivors of various colors to try and pick the pieces and carry their own destiny in this new wasteland set in the American Southwest, and eventually the rest of the Americas.

Need Help With: Gauging general interest for the time being, this RP is way, way down the line at the moment of writing this.

Please leave this hashtag in place: #Mentorhelp
Last edited by Wasi State on Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chedastan Puppet

New Sriker
Envoy

Founded: Jul 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sriker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:29 pm

Wasi State wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST

(Image)
RP's Overarching Concept: Post-Apocalyptic RP set initially in the American Southwest (Fallout 1 and 2 style), based on a Boy and His Dog, I Have No Mouth and Must Scream, and The New Order: Last Days of Europe. Set in a world gone mad after an Axis Victory in WWII bringing much of it to its knees and finally to outright oblivion through nuclear hellfire. Requiring the survivors to pick up the pieces in the grim and grueling aftermath.
Character or Faction Based: Faction based with break out characters expected in said factions.
Detailed Description:
Pre-War
Post-War Aftermath
Inital Player Map

The year is 1984, the omnicidal Heinrich Himmler of the Greater German Reich has just passed away and have set off his deadman switch to annihilate the world that was already in the midst of a four-way cold war in a quick and violent chain of nuclear hellfire. One of the last bastions of the Free World, the United States, is quickly wiped out in the ensuring chaos, leaving behind its struggling people in a desperate struggle for survival in this brave new world created through the events of Judgment Day. Now that the dust has settled, the immediate fallout has brought survivors of various colors to try and pick the pieces and carry their own destiny in this new wasteland set in the American Southwest, and eventually the rest of the Americas.

Need Help With: Gauging general interest for the time being, this RP is way, way down the line at the moment of writing this.

Sounds great, can't wait till it's ready.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Can be helpful to help a plot to guide things along at first. Throwing folks in a big open world out of the blue may not help everyone get too invested in it.

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Where the Stars Fell

Postby Kassaran » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:42 pm

Please provide as much detail as possible.
RP's Overarching Concept: Where the Stars Fell
Genre/s: Post Apocalypse, Horror
Character or Faction Based: Character
Detailed Description: Earth has been ravaged by an unknown cataclysm, but what or when, no one can remember. It's the nature of the virus, for those that suffered the most at its hands, they forgot all of themselves and became something else. Others, simply can't remember when they began to forget. There are some who think they've somehow recovered, but the doctors all say Humanity seems to have collectively blinked... and now we're stuck with the aftermath. Time passes strangely, almost incongruently across the world and now the survivors are left trying to pick up the pieces and complete a puzzle they don't remember starting. Perhaps, if anything, there's only those clues left by the few who remembered how to read and write, before even that too slipped away from them.

Players in Where the Stars Fell are combatting a world where Humanity has forgotten itself. Many lost their sense of self, or purpose, and the results were not pretty. Perhaps they grew feral and savage, hunting in brutish packs that picked off lone survivors or foreigners, or maybe they lost their will to live completely and died where they stood, waiting to remember what it was they were trying to do. No one knows the origin of the virus, it's anti-memetic in that way, long-term memories seemed to have failed first, but from what most can remember, the incident that started it all happened at least a month ago. For some, glimpses of a life they once had may reveal itself in dreams, while others only receive the sense of Deja Vu and the sand of a dream slipping through the fingers of a conscious mind.

Each week IRL would be a day. Players going inactive for more than three weeks IRL without reason would be considered dead. For those weird jumps in IRL time between dialogues happening, this is explained IC by rifts, which are a sort of visual-mental hallucination. A character walks up to another and begins an interaction, but suddenly it's night-time... or maybe they've moved down the street suddenly. No, there's no teleportation, but rather they've recovered from having just fallen into a rift. To others, it simply appears as though they've suddenly gone silent and turned around, walking away- or more eerily, gone silent and have resorted to only staring blankly into the horizon.

Also was thinking about how a xenovirus that attacks the brain and it's ability to see and perceive things temporally, to create long and short-term memories, and ultimately degrades those centers, would affect persons by making them see something called 'Shades'. A Shade is a fragment of a memory, but the brain registers it as a real phenomena. Interacting with a shade will generally kill someone as they bring on a sudden heightened sense of paranoia, fear, ands inconsolable hysteria which can result in sudden cardiac arrest. I'll need help working out the actual medical particulars and details of it all, but it seems relatively simple- as brains are ya know. I mean, I have one, how hard could it be to make a complex space virus that affects one of nature's most complex and least understood organs in our body?

I will be providing each player with a small individual chunk of a map where they can encounter the others. The map has been pre-generated and players will all have a limited inventory, but when a rift occurs, there's a strong chance they made suddenly come to their senses several hundred meters from their starting location, and missing anything that they didn't have fastened to themselves. Sometimes a rift can result in only seconds of lost time, and for others it can be several hours. All that matters is that players keep moving, keep interacting, and keep working to uncover the origin behind Where the Stars Fell.

Need Help With: Gauging interest, I've been working on trying to figure out what I've been wanting from an RP and I actually like the idea behind this and will most likely be writing it up as an individual side project when I get the time. It's just one of those late-night shower thoughts that came to me and I wanted to get written down.

Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:40 am

Text wall incoming that you can skip if you aren't interested in some talk of brainstorming + RP dynamics. Some thoughts on something I'm working on, mechanics. and RP format below however.

I've done like one open thread this year. Kind of want to do another one before the year is over and they say fall is one of the better times to start something new. I think my most successful things were from around this time of the year. However, when it came to ideas I ended up somewhat stuck.

Last open thing I did was Heroes LIVE, which followed a superhero reality show and some other things in the same world. Didn't get too high up in terms of page count but the content itself was pretty good. Everyone seemed to 'get' the atmosphere of the thread so to speak. Except for like the one person that got the benefit of the doubt in being allowed to make a jackass character only to kick off a big detrimental fight for no reason with said character other than the lulz. But that's a different story.

I thought about rehashing Heroes LIVE because it did have some good moments to it - a pretty good amount of them, actually. Only thing is, the early end of the thread was mainly because I'd never gotten a consistent playerbase for it in the first place. There was interest, yeah. Effort put into posts from everyone and all that. But availability and schedules and the like didn't really match up in the end and the pace dropped to about zero at the point it was done. So I'm thinking about something different. After all, if the first time around never really formed a true core of activity, why would the second time do it?

Errr, maybe there's a chance of it working out during a different time of the year. The original was back in January and February after all. But I'm not exactly thrilled about taking the time to make a reboot given the last result, and I have a good superhero universe right now as a smaller private thing so I rather just stick with that. Which left me wondering what I would present next for the new open thread I'd decided on doing. I had a concept within the science fantasy genre that was on my mind a bit, where the cast would be rangers on a ruined planet and fight monsters and hostile aliens on the frontiers, but ultimately this idea was dropped because it would have been a lore intensive concept with a bunch of reading and a bunch of universe specific stuff and ultimately I wasn't going to make a big thread like that unless I could be sure a good enough amount of players would actually show interest in it and get immersed enough to participate.

Which brings me to the concept I've been toying with more recently. I call the RP Psychic Dreams right now. Subject to change still, but I like the feel of it.

It's not a superhero RP. Or a fantasy RP. or an academy RP. Or a general slice of life RP. Not any of those things in the sense you'd usually associate with any of them at least. The plot itself also isn't complicated per say. It's a reality where the world experiences 'psychic tears' from time to time, bringing about extradimensional entities into our own reality. Some of them more animalistic. Some of them intelligent. A lot of them not necessarily well intentioned and most of them being dangerous. The most effective way to combat these hostile extradimensional beings is to use 'psychic' abilities of the mind that only a small fraction of the population are capable of - these abilities vary but they each stem from the mind. They might attack someone's mind directly or they might will into existence the manifestation of something the user is thinking of. They might change the user's perception of time, or give the user an eerily accurate sense of danger.

The general idea is that this fight was happening in the background before and knowledge of it was kept out of the public eye by underfunded government agencies as well as social media administrators and news agencies - but after a larger psychic tear happens in a major area and brings over more entities while also awakening a lot of new psychics, things change and it becomes public knowledge. I imagine the existing psychics as a body that's only loosely centralized, working loosely with government agencies to contain the psychic tears without alerting the general public. Once a major public incident alerts the world, these psychics are kind of forced by the circumstances to work more openly and also to train some of these new psychics to help handle the increased duty.

So that's where the players come in. The majority of them would be these newer young adult psychics who have recently underwent the awakening of their ability and have been recruited into something they know little about. I feel that using late teen to young adult characters fits a bit better with some aspects of the RP compared to having the characters be more... Professional. There's a big atmosphere difference, for example, between an experienced team of operatives used to working with government agencies and dealing with extradimensional anomalies and, on the other hand, younger characters finding their way into the world and stepping from school or college to a lot more of a dangerous place where they're dealing with new powers and a kind of awkward social situation (I mean, it is a bit awkward to tell all your friends you have to move away from your hometown to fight extradimensional entities due to finding out you have powers that would have been considered fiction by most people a short while ago).

There's also the other aspect of getting to the bottom of what the psychic tear thing is about in the first place. Like I said before, some of these entities are good, a lot of them are bad, and a decent amount of them are intelligent with personalities and stuff.

Only thing is, I haven't actually worked on turning this into an actual RP from the idea I have right now yet, because there's still some things to work out. Kind of debating between going for the things I know would make it more approachable and the things that would make it higher quality. For example, I kind of think that doing a RP featuring combat as a big theme and not having some kind of mechanical system behind it can be... Foolhardy at times. Granted, that's most RPs, but speaking as someone that's done a lot of fight scenes without mechanics and done them with mechanics, the latter is easier to run smoothly.

I dislike the idea that the player characters winning should be the default assumption regardless of what said characters actually do to deserve it. Everyone has a right to think differently but that's just how it is for me. Other than doing it in a limited amount of posts that are 'set pieces' within the greater narrative to move the story forward or something, I don't see what's fun about the PCs rolling over the opposition with the knowledge that the fight isn't actually dangerous because there's not much stopping them from just writing a victory without even being challenged. But what can you do to counter this effect? Well, the OP and Co-OPs can control the opposition directly and try to make things harder so the PCs have to do a bit more to earn good results, but that can also be a false solution. Let's say someone's character shoots a few times at an opponent standing x distance away. Did the bullets hit? With the amount of info in a given post, is there even a way to come to a good subjective decision on something like that?

Sure, the GMs can try to balance things somewhat so both sides are on a relatively level playing field and the heroes aren't getting curbstomped but they aren't curbstomping the other side easily either. But then you have to make a bunch of decisions and some of them might not make too much sense logically. Should you balance the fight by saying that a player character's attack was avoided despite that being an unlikely outcome, because the fight is trending towards one of those ones where it serves no purpose other than the PCs flexing on a helpless opponent? Should you make the opposition stronger to avoid that but then have them make stupid mistakes to keep them balanced with the power level of the player side to avoid an unfair matchup for the players, even if the in-universe logic says that their mistakes would cost them?

A lot of these problems are actually fixed by having a mechanical system behind the action. Sure, it takes a little more work to get into, but I've had success using some rules originally based in tabletop games with RPs in written RPs, with some changes made here and there. I actually use a more complicated system for private projects but since it's a hard sell for most people I came up with a simplified version in Heroes LIVE and it worked pretty well. Characters had a few attributes and certain actions were rolled on with dice. Emphasis on certain actions. You didn't have to roll everything, just specific things which were deemed important. Combat was the most notable example but there were a few other things.

There were no conversations over whether a character's attack should hit or miss. The character had a certain stat that was used to roll the accuracy of their attacks and the result of the rolls determined whether they hit or missed. There were like... Four attributes, since like I said, it was a greatly simplified system. So you didn't have to fill out dozens of stats or anything while making a character. It was also pretty easy to tell what skill level a character should be in each thing. In the fights that we had in the RP it was pretty balanced. The results were actually, y'know, back and forth like a decent representation of a superpowered fight without having to buff or debuff either side and go against what makes sense just to have a somewhat balanced battle. In the first hero versus villain fight, the player side was victorious but had to be careful of the abilities of the other side and a couple members of that side were incapacitated until they could be healed thanks to the other side actually being, well... Dangerous.

Long story short, the system worked, but I debate whether or not a mechanics system like this (likely based off the same 4 attribute system I used in Heroes LIVE but tailored more for this RP with more categories such as a specific one for psychic skill) would ultimately help or hurt the concept and its chances of taking off as a long term RP. Because the thing is... Well, I'm not the only one that has the sentiment that RPs involving mechanics is a good way to scare off players that aren't specifically into that kind of thing.

And don't get me wrong, adding mechanics isn't some kind of big burden on the players. For the most part, they didn't have to do their own rolls unless they had the system under their belt and wanted to roll it on their own. They would post normally and make an attack that way, or if they wanted a result while they were writing, they could ask on Discord about the action and me or one of the Co-OPs could roll it since we all knew the system completely. Or the post could be written as a collab and we would do the rolls in real time while it was being written.

But I don't know, I feel that even though a system like this doesn't actually add more work on the player's end, the perception of mechanics on NS sometimes being arcane systems with a lot to keep track of, or the general perception with tabletop rulesets having tons of rules and rolling, might hurt the project before it gets too far by hurting the interest of players that might otherwise be interested in the concept. Even though this is hardly a mechanics RP. It's more of an RP with a mechanics system.

Maybe I don't even need to think this much about things like action sequences and combat - there's other things and other themes at play in Psychic Dreams. It's not even a combat centered RP mainly, but since combat is inevitably a part of it due to the nature of the role that psychics have here, I feel that it should be figured out ahead of time since it can have some pretty big consequences for the story and the characters. Even if the combat isn't the main focus. More of a secondary focus or a tertiary one depending on where you rank different focuses. I'd say if anything this story is an homage to the powered academy genre while doing something a bit different from some of the other setups that have been done, and also to drama anime and the kinda atmosphere and situations you get in that.

So... Yeah. Got a strong idea kicking around my head but there's still some questions at large with the structure like what should be done on the issue of adding RPG mechanics or not adding mechanics, and balancing and such if they aren't added - since in my experience using them, they've mostly fixed those problems. Might try to run it this September if I work those questions out.
Last edited by Forest State on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
don't tread on me

Lazarian
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am

Forest State wrote:snip

I really enjoyed Heroes LIVE, and I thought that the mechanics system was a pretty good one. It was going pretty well until...well, you know.

I think there's something to be said for RNG or mechanics in RPs to add to the potential of losing. In simple collaborative storytelling (which a lot of RPs are), it's not often that the party takes an L. Adding a little more gravity by means of a system somewhat outside OP/player control is always a plus in my mind.

On an unrelated note, I'm looking forward to Psychic Dreams. Sounds like a cool idea and I'll definitely be signing up whenever it drops.
Last edited by Lazarian on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:14 am

Lazarian wrote:
Forest State wrote:snip

I really enjoyed Heroes LIVE, and I thought that the mechanics system was a pretty good one. It was going pretty well until...well, you know.

I think there's something to be said for RNG or mechanics in RPs to add to the potential of losing. In simple collaborative storytelling (which a lot of RPs are), it's not often that the party takes an L. Adding a little more gravity by means of a system somewhat outside OP/player control is always a plus in my mind.

On an unrelated note, I'm looking forward to Psychic Dreams. Sounds like a cool idea and I'll definitely be signing up whenever it drops.

I think the RNG worked pretty well in the fights that happened. Did allow both sides to trade blows so to speak and hurt each other without making things overtly hard or anything.

Just hard to tell how much of it to use in Psychic Dreams or whether to use it at all considering the perception of mechanics in an RP tends to be that the mechanics are a dominating aspect and it turns some people off. Which... In this case isn't actually how it works, but it might still be a turnoff.
don't tread on me

New Antonalia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Antonalia » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:13 pm

I'm surprised that no one has tried to make an Iron Harvest RP. I feel that the universe is perfect for both it and political rps as well as traditional story based RPs.
A, probably less than successful, model of what a Post Soviet Eastern European nation can be

Pixel Designer: https://thearmsdealer.deviantart.com/

Yes, I use JG Scale. No, Franscale is not better.
1 pxl : 1 inch is better than 1 pxl : 1 cm

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:39 pm

Kassaran wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept: Where the Stars Fell
Genre/s: Post Apocalypse, Horror
Character or Faction Based: Character
Detailed Description: Earth has been ravaged by an unknown cataclysm, but what or when, no one can remember. It's the nature of the virus, for those that suffered the most at its hands, they forgot all of themselves and became something else. Others, simply can't remember when they began to forget. There are some who think they've somehow recovered, but the doctors all say Humanity seems to have collectively blinked... and now we're stuck with the aftermath. Time passes strangely, almost incongruently across the world and now the survivors are left trying to pick up the pieces and complete a puzzle they don't remember starting. Perhaps, if anything, there's only those clues left by the few who remembered how to read and write, before even that too slipped away from them.

Players in Where the Stars Fell are combatting a world where Humanity has forgotten itself. Many lost their sense of self, or purpose, and the results were not pretty. Perhaps they grew feral and savage, hunting in brutish packs that picked off lone survivors or foreigners, or maybe they lost their will to live completely and died where they stood, waiting to remember what it was they were trying to do. No one knows the origin of the virus, it's anti-memetic in that way, long-term memories seemed to have failed first, but from what most can remember, the incident that started it all happened at least a month ago. For some, glimpses of a life they once had may reveal itself in dreams, while others only receive the sense of Deja Vu and the sand of a dream slipping through the fingers of a conscious mind.

Each week IRL would be a day. Players going inactive for more than three weeks IRL without reason would be considered dead. For those weird jumps in IRL time between dialogues happening, this is explained IC by rifts, which are a sort of visual-mental hallucination. A character walks up to another and begins an interaction, but suddenly it's night-time... or maybe they've moved down the street suddenly. No, there's no teleportation, but rather they've recovered from having just fallen into a rift. To others, it simply appears as though they've suddenly gone silent and turned around, walking away- or more eerily, gone silent and have resorted to only staring blankly into the horizon.

Also was thinking about how a xenovirus that attacks the brain and it's ability to see and perceive things temporally, to create long and short-term memories, and ultimately degrades those centers, would affect persons by making them see something called 'Shades'. A Shade is a fragment of a memory, but the brain registers it as a real phenomena. Interacting with a shade will generally kill someone as they bring on a sudden heightened sense of paranoia, fear, ands inconsolable hysteria which can result in sudden cardiac arrest. I'll need help working out the actual medical particulars and details of it all, but it seems relatively simple- as brains are ya know. I mean, I have one, how hard could it be to make a complex space virus that affects one of nature's most complex and least understood organs in our body?

I will be providing each player with a small individual chunk of a map where they can encounter the others. The map has been pre-generated and players will all have a limited inventory, but when a rift occurs, there's a strong chance they made suddenly come to their senses several hundred meters from their starting location, and missing anything that they didn't have fastened to themselves. Sometimes a rift can result in only seconds of lost time, and for others it can be several hours. All that matters is that players keep moving, keep interacting, and keep working to uncover the origin behind Where the Stars Fell.

Need Help With: Gauging interest, I've been working on trying to figure out what I've been wanting from an RP and I actually like the idea behind this and will most likely be writing it up as an individual side project when I get the time. It's just one of those late-night shower thoughts that came to me and I wanted to get written down.

It has mystery, and physchological horror. The thing players will need to focus on when making a character isn't a job, or family, or past experiences- but disposition. Are they talkative? morose? callous? and so forth. Do they have quirk where they refer to others simply by a distinct feature 'red hat girl' 'the guy with the beard' or 'shotgun lady'? How they carry themselves in this world where memory decays and in the case of shades betrays them. Equipment I imagine will also be needed to be noted, even while as GM you may remove some items during the game to express them being used and forgotten. I think I would name my character 'Pip'. How he remembers that name is just that his mind has retained that- it 's not even his real name. But it's what he knows himself as. He's a tag along, he's resorted to using a weak appearance and his own lost memory for an image of innocence. It's how he goes on, getting what he needs- shelter, food, etc before going knowing that they'll soon forget him and he will forget them.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barapam
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Barapam » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:06 pm

Wasi State wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST

(Image)
Detailed Description:
Pre-War
Post-War Aftermath
Inital Player Map

Sounds like Harry Turtledove, I'm game.
New Antonalia wrote:I'm surprised that no one has tried to make an Iron Harvest RP. I feel that the universe is perfect for both it and political rps as well as traditional story based RPs.

I don't know much about Iron Harvest other than the concept art, which I love. But I remember being part of an rp long ago in a similar setting, except it was alt-his WWI. Must've been last year or so.
"nah man the path to true freedom is tsarist national bolshevik posadist monarchism with Japanese influence as is practised in Barapam." - Vladilan

New Demorvian
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Demorvian » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Red Decay: Legacy of the Kholodnaya Voyna

RP's Overarching Concept: A dark alternate history RP where the Soviet Union wins the Cold War.
Genre/s: Alt-History
Character or Faction Based: Nation and Faction
Detailed Description:
It's the year 2020. A far darker 2020. The Soviet Union is the sole global superpower. The Warsaw pact now spans from the North Sea to Alaska. But, while the Red giant seems to be thriving, the rest of the world is in decay. Korea is under full control of the Kim regime, and has been since 1950, causing an extreme red scare. American politics became severely polarized after a limited nuclear war with China over Vietnam killed 300,000 Americans, and 20 Million Chinese. The United States finally collapsed when Marshall Law was declared in urban areas in the aftermath of 9/11. The so-called "Great Asian War" led to China being divided between a Communist North, a Nationalist South, and Tibet (with the Soviets and Mongolia taking some land too.) Europe fell into chaotic revolutions and civil wars in the 80s and 90s, bringing West Germany, Austria, Greece, and North Italy under Soviet sway. Mexico fell into civil war in the 1994 after the Zapatistas declared independence. And the Soviets only expanded more when the U.S. collapsed. South America, Australia, and Africa remain relatively the same, although South Africa collapses into its own civil war in 1997.

Nowadays: The U.S. is a Balkanized mess of Warlords, City-states, and small nations. Mexico, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, and Libya are locked in endless civil wars. France, South Italy, Spain, and Turkey are now brutal military police states. The Soviets now have puppets in Benelux and Scandinavia. Both Chinas and have never recovered from the Great Asian War. Japan has been taken over by Ultranationalists who want to restore their empire and get revenge on China for nuking Japan in the Great Asian war. Britain is practically the last Democratic nation in Europe. And even the Soviets face trouble as many within the Union scream for democracy, while many within the Communist Party call for the resignation of Premier Zyuganov. The world is falling apart at the seams, and Chaos is spreading. God save this world, for no one else can.

Need Help With: Gauging interest, getting a map maker.

Last edited by New Demorvian on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:15 am

Ok so, this is probably going to be one of those ideas I end up losing interest in and abandoning before I do anything with it, but here's a concept: RP set millions of years in the future after humanity wiped itself out, in a world populated by sapient corvids and elephants with medieval technology.
Signatures are so 2014.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:31 pm

Utceforp wrote:Ok so, this is probably going to be one of those ideas I end up losing interest in and abandoning before I do anything with it, but here's a concept: RP set millions of years in the future after humanity wiped itself out, in a world populated by sapient corvids and elephants with medieval technology.

Might be something doable.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:56 pm

There are some ideas I want to do for October. I already have two other RPs that I've planned, but I want to go with a third one for fun.
- The first one is something I proposed a while back of doing a DC RP set in Gotham. It's going to be based off of the previous big Gotham RPs, mainly A New Generation. It's something that is going to require a lot of admin control on, but I'm still done on doing it.
- The second one is a RP based on the horror game series Amnesia. I may have mentioned this a while back also, but it's a story that set within the Amnesia universe in a different location during the early 70s. Very gothic, but should have its interesting moments.
- Lastly, this is a new idea. How about a cyberpunk RP? I'm aware of Vice, but I want to do a cyberpunk RP set more 20 minutes in the future (set in the mid-2040s). It's going to have to do a worldbuilding thread, but something I definitely want to have is the use of beam katanas. Remember No More Heroes? In this RP, you can have a character use just that. The RP will still use traditional cyberpunk aspects of dready rainy atmosphere similar to Blade Runner, along with having body modifications, but I want to make the setting colorful.

RPs I do

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:There are some ideas I want to do for October. I already have two other RPs that I've planned, but I want to go with a third one for fun.
- The first one is something I proposed a while back of doing a DC RP set in Gotham. It's going to be based off of the previous big Gotham RPs, mainly A New Generation. It's something that is going to require a lot of admin control on, but I'm still done on doing it.
- The second one is a RP based on the horror game series Amnesia. I may have mentioned this a while back also, but it's a story that set within the Amnesia universe in a different location during the early 70s. Very gothic, but should have its interesting moments.
- Lastly, this is a new idea. How about a cyberpunk RP? I'm aware of Vice, but I want to do a cyberpunk RP set more 20 minutes in the future (set in the mid-2040s). It's going to have to do a worldbuilding thread, but something I definitely want to have is the use of beam katanas. Remember No More Heroes? In this RP, you can have a character use just that. The RP will still use traditional cyberpunk aspects of dready rainy atmosphere similar to Blade Runner, along with having body modifications, but I want to make the setting colorful.

Just want to note that Cyberpunk, as much as it is an aesthetic setting, is more about the underlying evils of super-late capitalism than about the body modifications. Just mentioning it, because that is where some Cyberpunk settings go awry.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:23 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Main Nation Ministry wrote:There are some ideas I want to do for October. I already have two other RPs that I've planned, but I want to go with a third one for fun.

Just want to note that Cyberpunk, as much as it is an aesthetic setting, is more about the underlying evils of super-late capitalism than about the body modifications. Just mentioning it, because that is where some Cyberpunk settings go awry.

And...I can also experiment with consumerism and pop culture as a theme here..

RPs I do

Speyland
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Speyland » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am

RP's Overarching Concept: A peace treaty has made Japan to be split into separate countries and they struggle with unifying the nation. This is basically the modern version of Sengoku.
Genre/s: Alternate History
Character or Faction Based: Faction
Detailed Description: The year is 2000. In 1952 (when the Allies had regained Japan's sovereignty), Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Yoshida was assassinated (as he was in the middle of public speaking) by a Korean nationalist and Japan suddenly went into chaos. Then, Takushiro Hattori (who served as an Imperial Japanese Army officer and who schemed for assassination against Prime Minister Shigeru Yoshida) had successfully taken over the nation in a coup and he forced the Imperial House of Japan to step down from having nominal political power only for them to flee to the United States upon being exiled by him.

Takushiro then declared himself as a dictator (in which he abolish elections) and he went on to rule Japan for life until his eventual death in 1990 in which the nation went into chaos again after his long reign. Fighting had occurred amongst the people with differing political ideologies and it continues well until 1999 when a peace treaty was signed. Japan was split into separate countries and it is no longer a unified nation. But the question remains the same ever since. Who will unify Japan and would they prevail? The 2nd Sengoku period has begun.

The Batavia
Senator

Founded: May 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Batavia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:43 am

I've been thinking about a potential Danganronpa RP. Question is: how would that even work on a roleplay forum like this?
Ditched my old signature. Will be making a pretty looking one when I find the time.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:47 am

The Batavia wrote:I've been thinking about a potential Danganronpa RP. Question is: how would that even work on a roleplay forum like this?

I wonder the same thing about doing a space fighter RP.
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse