NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 4: Brainstorming, Discussion, Tea, Advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mantesa
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mantesa » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:53 pm

HELP ME!
I'm trying to make a RP about the Second Punic War, with characters from both Carthage and Rome, trying to see the possible outcomes this conflict could have had. It's the first time I make a RP so I don't really know how to do the OOC exactly. I think I can manage the IC though

What do you need help with: The OOC part, refining it to make it more appealing and clear. The OOC part is really bad.
Link:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=487978&p=37356844&hilit=ROMA+INVICTA#p37356844

Please leave this hashtag in place: #Mentorhelp

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:02 pm

Mantesa wrote:HELP ME!
I'm trying to make a RP about the Second Punic War, with characters from both Carthage and Rome, trying to see the possible outcomes this conflict could have had. It's the first time I make a RP so I don't really know how to do the OOC exactly. I think I can manage the IC though

What do you need help with: The OOC part, refining it to make it more appealing and clear. The OOC part is really bad.
Link:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=487978&p=37356844&hilit=ROMA+INVICTA#p37356844

A question — is there any specific reason outside of preference you’d like to keep characters focused on Carthage and Rome, or am I misreading? There seems to be a pretty fun opportunity here for the side-acts in the Punic Wars to make an impact, like neighboring North Italian tribes and Italian Greek cities.
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Check out The Living Waste of Mekhallah, an original low-fantasy setting.

Mantesa
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mantesa » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Lancearc wrote:
Mantesa wrote:HELP ME!

A question — is there any specific reason outside of preference you’d like to keep characters focused on Carthage and Rome, or am I misreading? There seems to be a pretty fun opportunity here for the side-acts in the Punic Wars to make an impact, like neighboring North Italian tribes and Italian Greek cities.

I'm sorry, I phrased it wrong. I didn't mean just Carthage and Rome, but all the Western Mediterranean in general. Of course you could be an Iberian chief or a Macedinian general. The only condition would be you could not pick any "important" character (e.g. Hannibal, Scipio)
Last edited by Mantesa on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eclius
Senator

Founded: Oct 24, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eclius » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:27 pm

Anyone interested in an MT free-style RP where you play as a character or multiple characters from your nation? It's more like a sandbox.
We do NOT use NS stats since it's not the most accurate reflection
Eclisian Herald News Network
||Local man sent to hospital after eating a pack of 14 years old Kraft mac'n cheese||Schools to resume operation in coming weeks||All domestic flights resumed||10% off vacation to Democratic East Asia today, book yours today!||

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 am

Eclius wrote:Anyone interested in an MT free-style RP where you play as a character or multiple characters from your nation? It's more like a sandbox.

You'd have to find a way to bring them together to keep people interested. Also you might have more luck asking in one of the forums where people RP with their NS nations.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Olthenia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm

I've been in the mood for something gritty and Steampunk-y as of late. Something to the tune of Mordheim or Dishonored.

Does that strike a chord with anyone?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:40 pm

Olthenia wrote:I've been in the mood for something gritty and Steampunk-y as of late. Something to the tune of Mordheim or Dishonored.

Savory savory Mordheim. I've only got one real RP running currently, so I'm certainly game.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:50 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Olthenia wrote:I've been in the mood for something gritty and Steampunk-y as of late. Something to the tune of Mordheim or Dishonored.

Savory savory Mordheim. I've only got one real RP running currently, so I'm certainly game.

Can you imagine leading a band of armed miscreants through fire-gutted neighborhoods? Battling cultists and ratmen for spoils and glory?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Olthenia wrote:

Can you imagine leading a band of armed miscreants through fire-gutted neighborhoods? Battling cultists and ratmen for spoils and glory?

I think you mean gutting fire-branded man-things for the glory of the Horned Rat.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Olthenia wrote:

I think you mean gutting fire-branded man-things for the glory of the Horned Rat.

Pish-posh.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could found armed camps in the rubble of ruined neighborhoods? And slowly turn them into larger, more complex settlements with a bit of luck and daring?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:06 pm

Olthenia wrote:

Pish-posh.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could found armed camps in the rubble of ruined neighborhoods? And slowly turn them into larger, more complex settlements with a bit of luck and daring?

That would actually be pretty cool. Build them up over the course of a looting and pillaging campaign to attract more settlers and glory-seekers, to eventually delve into the Pit and drive out the dark things of Mordheim.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:12 pm

Olthenia wrote:
Pish-posh.

That would actually be pretty cool. Build them up over the course of a looting and pillaging campaign to attract more settlers and glory-seekers, to eventually delve into the Pit and drive out the dark things of Mordheim.

Exactly. It'd be part city-building, part exploration and part combat.

How would you go about writing an app? Would individual equipment be a thing? How about magic?

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:20 pm

Olthenia wrote:

So you just want people to play Fallout 4 :p
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Check out The Living Waste of Mekhallah, an original low-fantasy setting.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 pm

Olthenia wrote:

How would you go about writing an app? Would individual equipment be a thing? How about magic?

Well, Mordheim is intrinsically built around a warband. You could generalize equipment for henchmen, with heroes and important characters having their own gubbins.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Lancearc wrote:
Olthenia wrote:

So you just want people to play Fallout 4 :p

8)

Olthenia wrote:

Well, Mordheim is intrinsically built around a warband. You could generalize equipment for henchmen, with heroes and important characters having their own gubbins.

Hm.

I suppose we'd need lists of both gubbins, henchmen and potential settlement upgrades.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:26 pm

Okay. So I played a game recently (one of those really old flash games that used to be popular on Newgrounds et al back in the days), and the setting seemed pretty interesting for an RP, with some changes.

The concept is this: you run or help run a space station or outpost in the medium-future. Something terrible - you’re not quite sure what - happened on Earth, and Mission Control isn’t responding. The supplies you depend on are no longer coming, and there’s no way home. You must now not only keep your station pressurised, fed, and intact, but also maybe figure out what exactly just happened...

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:44 pm

Plzen wrote:Okay. So I played a game recently (one of those really old flash games that used to be popular on Newgrounds et al back in the days), and the setting seemed pretty interesting for an RP, with some changes.

The concept is this: you run or help run a space station or outpost in the medium-future. Something terrible - you’re not quite sure what - happened on Earth, and Mission Control isn’t responding. The supplies you depend on are no longer coming, and there’s no way home. You must now not only keep your station pressurised, fed, and intact, but also maybe figure out what exactly just happened...

Sounds interesting. Do you plan on having some mechanics (resource management, etc.) involved? Maybe something inspired by FTL, if you're familiar with it?

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2015

Postby Ithalian Empire » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Eat ,Drink, and be mary, for tomorrow we die.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

The poster licks five public door handles a day to compare there taste.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Esternial wrote:Sounds interesting. Do you plan on having some mechanics (resource management, etc.) involved?

That is the plan, yes, although I’m having a difficult time with design. I want things to feel tense and unpredictable, but I also want the mechanics to be simple, elegant, and not too reliant on luck/dice rolls.

This really isn’t supposed to be one of my 4x mechanics RPs with ten pages of rules.

Esternial wrote:Maybe something inspired by FTL, if you're familiar with it?

I’m not familiar with that, but I’ll look into it.
Last edited by Plzen on Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Lets go lets go!

Plzen wrote:Okay. So I played a game recently (one of those really old flash games that used to be popular on Newgrounds et al back in the days), and the setting seemed pretty interesting for an RP, with some changes.

Solid concept for a RP, absolutely.
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2015

Postby Ithalian Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:35 pm

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness wrote:

Lets go lets go!

Oh buddy we are going.
Eat ,Drink, and be mary, for tomorrow we die.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

The poster licks five public door handles a day to compare there taste.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:10 pm

You know what we need at the moment?

More FT RPs.
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:16 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:You know what we need at the moment?

More FT RPs.

Preach it.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:27 pm

More FT RPs.

Especially if they're comedies!
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:22 pm

More FT RPs.

I hear ya man — RP set in Crystal Tokyo.

*shot*
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse