NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 4: Brainstorming, Discussion, Tea, Advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Dayganistan wrote:Here's an idea I just had that might attract some interest. Multiverse RP type thing but instead of characters from fictional universes, all the characters are people from regular Earth but different time periods. Maybe instead of traveling through fictional universes they could travel to different times and places throughout Earth's history. Characters could be real historical or modern people as well as being fictional characters who originate from a regular Earth. I don't know what kind of plot there would be though.

That sounds cool. I'd be interested.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 am

Dayganistan wrote:Here's an idea I just had that might attract some interest. Multiverse RP type thing but instead of characters from fictional universes, all the characters are people from regular Earth but different time periods. Maybe instead of traveling through fictional universes they could travel to different times and places throughout Earth's history. Characters could be real historical or modern people as well as being fictional characters who originate from a regular Earth. I don't know what kind of plot there would be though.

Not my cup of tea personally but multiverse RPs used to do extremely well and there's a few that have run recently with success. It'd probably get attention if you make the thread look nice and figure out an interesting mechanic for how it all works. If you want a banner to help out with that, or some help with the thread coding, just tell me and I'd be willing to see what I can do.
GamerXZ wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but I'll give it a try. I'm a new Roleplayer/Nation owner around here and would like some advice on getting started. My roleplay tastes usually involve things like Superheroes, Urban Fantasy, maybe some Fandom-related stuff on the side, those kinds of things. If you guys can suggest some good roleplays that deal with things like that, I'd appreciate it.

I'm working on something that blends both superheroes and urban fantasy. It's a bit of a throwback to when the superhero academy was still a more popular genre but it features magic instead of genetics based superpowers and it also features the trope of the player characters being the chosen ones that appear every so often when things need saving. Not the most original tropes, yes, but I hope to put them together in a way that works.

It might not be out for roughly a couple of weeks however because I have a lot of lore and mechanics to write, and as this isn't a reboot, I don't have an older thread to take parts of it from.

Until then, I'll just tease the banner and reveal the thread title.

Last edited by Forest State on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
don't tread on me

Balerion the Dread
Attaché

Founded: Nov 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Balerion the Dread » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:50 am

So, I have been tossing around the idea in my head of a Song of Ice and Fire RP.

Anyone interested/have ideas? I have tried before but neither really caught fire.

Das Redner
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Das Redner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Anyone here family with John Ringos’ Under a Graveyard Sky?
Founder of The Nu Reich. (Come join my region!)

Right-Wing Utopiast.

#PurgeLiberalism

Untempered empathy is a cancerous tumor of the mind.

Marveler of Machiavelli.

Saint Ryvern
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Ryvern » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Balerion the Dread wrote:So, I have been tossing around the idea in my head of a Song of Ice and Fire RP.

Anyone interested/have ideas? I have tried before but neither really caught fire.

What time would your roleplay take place in relation to the novels?

Balerion the Dread
Attaché

Founded: Nov 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Balerion the Dread » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:27 am

Saint Ryvern wrote:
Balerion the Dread wrote:So, I have been tossing around the idea in my head of a Song of Ice and Fire RP.

What time would your roleplay take place in relation to the novels?

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=457744&p=35166778#p35166778

An alternate history Roberts Rebellion.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:14 am

I've been reading a bit of CJ Cherryh's Alliance-Union universe, and I can't help but think that it would be a good setting for an RP.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Everhall
Senator

Founded: Sep 23, 2014

Postby Everhall » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:01 pm

-Soundtrack-

The Legends of Eroris
Brotherhood

IC
Lore | Map | OOC
Discord

-| The Pub: A P2tM RP Group |-

Co-OPs-
Ithalian Empire
Kuhlfros

- "Our forces were in dire straits... The enemy calvary had just routed our right flank and everyone thought that it was the end. I was among Alaro's guard that day. He didn't care for his own safety; just for the safety of his soldiers. He disappeared into the enemy horde and for a moment I feared he had been cut down... But later I saw the Emperor, blood, and gore encrusted on his valiant blade, fighting with the strength of a thousand men. At that moment I couldn't tell if he was an elf, or a god..."

Soldier of the Order of the Phoenix, written in 2284 of the 3rd Era

"...We had left Eroris as strong men, proud and ignorant of the atrocities that we would face... but now we are just scared boys, broken, riven, and doomed to die..."

-Fallen Soldier

Today is the 30th of Hard Rain (4) the year 4E 901. Alaro Ashen's heirs still rule his Empire, but now they, and the whole of Eroris, face the greatest threat in Erori history. Though, to get to the heart of the story, we have to go back to the beginning.

When Alaro Ashen first united the bickering states of Eroris under his Ashen Empire, the people rejoiced. They were tired after centuries in the darkness of the Third and worse Interregnum where Man killed Man, Beast killed Beast, and Elf killed Elf. The wars of the Third Interregnum were devastating. However, what the people of Eroris failed to realize at the start of the Empire was that a greater prize, dominion over all of Eroris, led to greater conflict. The years of Alaro and his son Alyari after him were times of peace and prosperity. And when I say years, I am referring to a few hundred years; elves are naturally long-lived after all. However, this tendency to live a hundred, nay, three-hundred years led many Ashen princes to ponder: "Wouldn't it be better if I was the Emperor?" At first, these feelings lingered under the surface, leaving the aging Alyari to dread what would occur following his death. He warned his family to stop bickering over the most trivial of matters before a conflict between cousins turned into a conflict between provinces. These words, however, fell on deaf ears. And, as often comes to pass with the predictions of dying old men, Alyari's fears came true. The first war of the Ashens, the War of Ember, devastated Eroris on a scale the minor warlords of the Interregnum could only dream of. A continent ripe for the taking was just too great a prize for some. There were periods of peace, yes, but in the end, another long-lived uncle or cousin emerged to challenge another for the right to the throne. All this came to a head, however, with the death of Aren II.

Now, Aren II was no ordinary Ashen. He was ambitious, much like Alaro before him, and this ambition led him to his death. You see, what is the point of ambition to conquer more for the Empire when all before his eyes is already conquered? His solution was simple: the southern continent of Akou. Now, not much was known about Akou in those days and even today. Most of the information modern Eroris has on Akou comes from the few races of the land that have migrated onto Eroris. Nevertheless, this foolhardy Emperor invaded, eighty-thousand men, the largest force ever assembled in Erori history, set out to Akou and only one frightened soul returned. Eroris forgot about Aren II's foolish mission... but Akou did not. After his death during his invasion, the War of the Black Phoenix erupted, in which all but one Ashen was killed, the reigning Emperor, up until very, very recently: Azelian the Great. Now, Azelian the Great looked back on all that had gone wrong with his dynasty, and decided that, in the event of his death, any Ashen could challenge the heir apparent for the throne not in war, but in a trial by combat: The Proving. Of course, since he was the only Ashen left, this seemed to be a wise decision on his part. However, this decision could very well doom Eroris. For just a few days before the 30th, the day our story begins, our great, wise Emperor Azelian received reports that a large group of... marauders, we shall call them, had landed on the Valyarian Isle of Alista, and had laid siege to Evermoor. He set out with a legion, confident that he would drive the rabble from his shores. Little did he know, which he would only discover upon his death, was that this was no rabble. This was an invasion...

And that brings us back to now. The Isle of Alista remains cut off from all outside contact as a fleet of "marauders" guards the coast of this great isle. Meanwhile, the sole white raven flies high towards Isnhrion to reignite a conflict between two brothers that could very well doom the world, and I am not speaking lightly when I say this. The die has been cast, the pieces have been placed, prayers have been answered, (and Lore has been typed) This is the Legend of the Akouteen Invasion.

"I'm not a leader because I am sure of myself, I am a leader because my people are sure of me."
-Alaro Ashen

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the Legends of Eroris: Brotherhood! I am, once again, Everhall, you may already know me from my hit RP Legends of Eroris: Arrival, and its sequel Legends of Eroris II: Interregnum (BUT WE DON'T TALK ABOUT THAT :blush:). Now, you may be thinking: "HEY EVER! You did this in the first RP! You runnin' outta ideas!?" NO!!! (Maybe...) NO! Anyway the reason I wanted to go back to the original Eroris Rp idea was because I was thinking: "Hey, what would happen if we ACTUALLY got to see the Empire and the Akounate fight each other at full power? (THAT DOESN'T STINK!). Now I've done some self reflection after the failure that was LoEII and I also analyzed what led to the original RP dying. SO you know what? NO MORE RAILS! The outcome of the war (and the struggle for the throne before it) is entirely up to the actions of your characters. Eroris and Akou are completely on a level playing field and it is your initiative that shall either doom or save Eroris from Akou. As some may know this series is a result of a little bit of an hypothesis. I originally intended Eroris to be a Worldbuilding affair but realized, they rarely succeed. So I came upon an epiphany. You see TES Lore was made by its players, so why can't TLoE Lore be created by them too? While the RP is actually being played by RPers like you! That is the reason this The Legends of Eroris RP is before you. Though by now, after two previous RPs, the lore is getting orgasmic...

The setting is once again massive. Eroris is a world of hidden details and stories to tell (I mean seriously guys, I don't know how many hours I've spent just typing for this). The decisions of those in the previous RP have influenced my work in Eroris in a powerful way, and I want to thank them. In the Roleplay you will be free to carve out your own story and make your own intense backstory - although I highly encourage that you interact with other players, which always makes roleplays such as this enjoyable. If you want some help starting out or want me or my Co-OP to throw some event or something at you on your journey just ask. Maybe those nice Orcs weren't so nice. :D

The RP will rely mainly on storytelling. This OOC is open to conversation and chat about the RP and other related things. Please do so in NS rules. Don't want any mods coming and banning anyone eh?

The World

The World of Eroris is a very expansive open environment made by you! With your help, this world shall surpass that of the one of TES! Though to start an RP about it already you have to have some base lore as to not have a RP of nothing. To help you out on your Lore of TLoE, here is a rundown of the major events of the past century.

So, essentially, nine-hundred and one years ago Alaro Ashen united the Eroris for the first time under the Ashen Empire ending the Third Interregnum. His gave Eroris what he thought it needed most; he ruled over with an ironclad but fair hand. His rulership leads to a golden age of learning, culture, and art which was continued under the reign of his son, Alyari, once he succeeded to the throne in 4E 81. Now Alaro had four children, two sons, and two daughters. Alyari was one of the sons. Now when you have a dynasty made up of people who normally live three hundred or more years, there is bound to be conflict when the bonds between members fade or when anger over past decisions lingers. So when Alyari died in 4E 362, the Empire was plunged into a crisis, the Wars of the Phoenix, in which every other Ashen came to believe that he or she should be Emperor. Then after everything seemed to be stabilizing, Emperor Aren II was crowned who, in an attempt to place his name in the history books, tried to invade Akou in 4E 791. He died in this attempt and then, again, Ashen fought Ashen in the War of the Black Phoenix which lasted from 4E 794 - 4E 821. Almost all of the dynasty was killed in this last devastating conflict, leaving Azelian the Great to become Emperor in 4E 821.

Now Azelian the Great was no fool, he recognized that long after his death after his line began to grow, more conflicts like the War of the Black Phoenix would occur. So he devised the solution of the Proving, in which any member of the Ashen dynasty could challenge the heir apparent to the throne not in war, but in a trial by combat. He believed that the Proving would prevent the sorts of violence that erupted on a continental scale once the reigning Emperor died. Unfortunately for Azelian... he would be greatly mistaken. :twisted:

Rules & Application

Rules? As if! No rules for me m80! 360 noscope! 420 Blaze it! Too bad there're rules! Don't worry, nothing serious just normal things like...

The Law is my Will, and my Will is the Law! Follow it.
Follow the Site's Rules
Don't Godmod/Metagame/etc.
Use proper Grammer & Spelling, please
Minimum requirement of a paragraph for each post. NO ONE-LINERS HERE!
Don't be a ass
You are only allowed 3 characters each. No more than that.
HAVE FUN!!!!

Please mind while you're not required to contribute to the Lore, I highly recommend you TG me if you have a Lore suggestion.

Behold! Thy almighty Application! Your ticket into the world of Eroris [may have "borrowed" it from TES: Ascension(Thank ya Dutch!)] Fill it at your own peril, for you may become addicted to this RP. :D I recommend before you divulge into this, you quickly check out the Lore Thread for the Races and other information you need.

Code: Select all
[size=135][b](CHARACTER NAME HERE)[/b][/size][floatright][img](link to image for appearance if you got one)[/img][/floatright]
[b]Race:[/b] What race of Eroris are you? Check out the Lore for help.
[b]Gender/Sex:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b] What do you look like? Description or picture. You may delete this part of the app if you did a picture in the [float right] tags!
[b]Class:[/b] What is your class? Check out the classes held in TES Wikis for the classes of Eroris
[b]Equipment:[/b] What equipment do you use? Equipment includes armor, weapons, and any other gear you might use.
[b]Skills:[/b] What are you really good at?
[b]Weaknesses:[/b] What are you really bad at/What are your weaknesses?
[b]Bio:[/b] Two paragraph minimum.
[b]RP Sample:[/b] One or more. You can also write one for this RP specifically.

(please remove all text in this app that isn't within the bold tags)
(everything underneath is optional)

[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Likes:[/b]
[b]Dislikes:[/b]
[b]Voice:[/b]
[b]Theme Song:[/b]
(Feel free to add anything else!)
1738! - Don't Remove; For Tracking

What's this? Another app!? What is this!?
Code: Select all
[size=135][b](KINGDOM NAME HERE)[/b][/size][floatright][img](MAP AREA)[/img][/floatright]
[b]Ruler:[/b]
[b]Noble House:[/b]
[b]Province:[/b] (One of the Provinces of Eroris Please)
[b]Domain:[/b] (This is where you'll place the city/castle that you rule. You can choose an existing city as your seat or create a smaller town or castle in an existing region. For Provencial Governors/High Kings/Queens please contact me)
[b]Army:[/b] (Types Recommended)
[b]Navy:[/b]
[b]Short History:[/b]

(please remove all text in parentheses)
(everything else is optional)

[b]Allies:[/b]
[b]Enemies:[/b]
[b]Goals:[/b]
420 - Don't remove, for tracking

For anyone interested in an epic fantasy RP!

Tasuirin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasuirin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:22 am

Right. To anyone who was interested in my Sanctuary from a Poison Sky RP idea, the OOC has now been posted.
IC'ly, Tasuirin is:
An Absolute Monarchy, A Federal Monarchy, Neo-Feudalistic, Anti-Democratic, Mercantilist, Five Kingdoms, Ruled by One King
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ASEXUAL~ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ☭ ★ ☭ ★ ☭ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ATHEIST ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ CELTIC ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ AUSTRALIAN ⋅.} ──── ⊰

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Asardia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:53 am

Would anyone be willing to participate in a Hunter X Hunter RP? I personally find the concept of Nen fascinating and versatile enough to allow for a wide variety of powers as opposed to the typical "Water Mage" or "Dark Mage" type we see in fantasy
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Nuridia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuridia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pm

I'm thinking of doing something new in a couple weeks...something different than fantasy and since sci-fi seems to be the new thing, I like sci-fi so I may go with that. What would you guys think about a modern world where humans have discovered that aliens exist. You can make your own planet and your own alien race, stuff like that, create their histories as you see fit. So there's been an intergalactic trade or whatever going on but humans and aliens in general don't trust each other. However a new threat is rising and so they gotta all band together to stop it. Or we're a group on this prison planet, some were wrongfully jailed and some weren't so now we all have to break out.
Uru, Queen of Diamonds.
The Diamond card suit represents fire, strength and power. Sister of the Queen of Hearts, Queen of Spades and the Queen of Clubs.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Nuridia wrote:I'm thinking of doing something new in a couple weeks...something different than fantasy and since sci-fi seems to be the new thing, I like sci-fi so I may go with that. What would you guys think about a modern world where humans have discovered that aliens exist. You can make your own planet and your own alien race, stuff like that, create their histories as you see fit. So there's been an intergalactic trade or whatever going on but humans and aliens in general don't trust each other. However a new threat is rising and so they gotta all band together to stop it. Or we're a group on this prison planet, some were wrongfully jailed and some weren't so now we all have to break out.

What would keep the player character together after the breakout?
Last edited by Harbertia on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Nuridia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuridia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Nuridia wrote:I'm thinking of doing something new in a couple weeks...something different than fantasy and since sci-fi seems to be the new thing, I like sci-fi so I may go with that. What would you guys think about a modern world where humans have discovered that aliens exist. You can make your own planet and your own alien race, stuff like that, create their histories as you see fit. So there's been an intergalactic trade or whatever going on but humans and aliens in general don't trust each other. However a new threat is rising and so they gotta all band together to stop it. Or we're a group on this prison planet, some were wrongfully jailed and some weren't so now we all have to break out.

What would keep the player character together after the breakout?

No idea, it's just an idea for now. I have to flesh everything out.
Uru, Queen of Diamonds.
The Diamond card suit represents fire, strength and power. Sister of the Queen of Hearts, Queen of Spades and the Queen of Clubs.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Nuridia wrote:
Harbertia wrote:What would keep the player character together after the breakout?

No idea, it's just an idea for now. I have to flesh everything out.

Sounds like most of the world will be build by the players so- how about create a character the PCs have to have some connection to as a plot tie in? I recently did so with 'Stories in the Forest' and that turned out well. Only the holidays interfered with that RP.

In that case it was a character who planned the camping trip the other characters would be on- so most players opted to have known her from school prior to their graduation as it was a post graduation camping trip- a kind of get together with friends before life really drags them apart.

So- how about have that all the characters had to in some way be involved in the same events that go them jailed thus giving them an idea of what they'd have to do to clear their names? Such can prove a focus - with staying not being an option for some reason- perhaps a few assaults have shown them that the staff has been paid to look the other way or something- in short that to stay is death- could even be the sentence for what ever they are framed for. But the point is they are all implicated but none responsible so they need to get the one who is?
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:03 pm

I had a few RPs in a setting of animals with human intellect- sentience.

would like to revisit the setting.

had some mystical elements to it.

Perhaps move away from the more civilized aspects in some revision of the setting? I had tool use for some species like Mice- perhaps not have that?
Tomorrow is made today.

Mewsland
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mewsland » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 pm

Well, I'm still waiting for things to really pick up in interest in it, but if there's any talk anyone would like to make about my return to P2TM with At the Gates of Elysium, the link is here for people to check it out. Specifically, I'd be looking on feedback regarding the idea and any ways that you all think it may turn out even better than planned.

Overall, the story as presented looks a fair bit like my old Lyoko sagas, but I've been having discussions with my co-OPs regarding the story of At the Gates and beyond. In several ways, I'm thinking of pulling in some inspiration from Tron, Ready Player One, and others. While it's still early days, and I'd like to see how things kick off, I'm also open to hear some ideas that might draw more people in.
The Ascendancy of Cártána
Any and all dates I use in MT and PMT RPs on the Diplomacy forums are on the Cártányne calendar. See this factbook for details.
I return at long last to P2TM: At the Gates of Elysium, the first part of a new planned series titled The Elysium Variations developed in collaboration with Zarkenis Ultima & Sovreignry, is open now!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 am

I've been working on an MIB/X-Files inspired RP. If anyone's interested, I can post what I have so far.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I've been working on an MIB/X-Files inspired RP. If anyone's interested, I can post what I have so far.

Somewhat interested. Mostly do to a past project of mine. Don't know if I'll join until I have more details but as I'm familiar with both inspirational sources it's possible.
Tomorrow is made today.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:33 pm

All re[B]osted from Discord.

I have two ideas for what is essentially the same base story for a Mega Man ZX RP, but they are otherwise pretty different.

Both stories are ZX and thus both largely involve Biometal, which is a thing introduced in ZX - basically, living metal containing the souls of past legendary heroes, though all but two are from the Zero series - one is of X, and one is an allusion to Axl so thus also from Mega Man X but is actually based on a ZX character itself; the biometal itself being contained in a phone-sized canister vaguely shaped like a face and vaguely resembling whichever legendary hero it contains a (copy of) the soul of.

Both involve some company developing a Mass Production Biometal (or mass production copies of Biometals) to 'take the strain' off Biomatches (humans/Reploids who can use Biometal, designated as Mega Man Model _ regardless of gender), which while there are implied by the Japanese version to be more than the ones shown in canon are still incredibly rare. The company is up to Nefarious Purposes of course, because all Mega Man games after roughly a quarter of the way through X series are either cyberpunk dystopia disguised as a transhumanist romp or, in the case of Zero, openly cyberpunk dystopia.

The difference (and it's huge) is the backstory, which changes the point in time they are set and the setting of the World. Spoilers for the ending of ZX Advent follow but I don't care about that because it's been ~12 years.

The first is set only a few years, maybe as low as one, after the ending of ZXA, which would likely mean Master Thomas is going to be involved, as was implied by the Expert bonus ending of the game. Things progress as in canon from the ending, and the story focuses on a team of Guardians either using the MPBs or not, up to players, investigating a situation that eventually leads to the company in the typical style of more recent Mega Man games. It'd have a more modern-war, maybe some Guardians of the Galaxy or even Generation Kill esque tone.

The second is a sort of 'bad end' of ZXA in which while Master Albert and Model W was defeated, the damage was already done by the time the main protags returned to land. The Maverick Army he unleashed did irreparable damage to the global economy and political structure. Wars rage on for decades doing further damage, and it simply peters out instead of ending in any treaty. Technology stagnates or even regresses in areas (though to no harm to the actual production of Reploids and humans, as those were considered important enough to keep running), and a feudal system with a sort of caste pops up in many areas - obviously, Biomatches are above non-Biomatches outside of the nobility and certain mercantile nationstates, with their role mostly filling that of knights, or heavy infantry/cavalry for most Mass Production Biometals - with them being at the bottom, the rest mostly in a state of flux depending on politics and whatnot, and Model Z and X at the top. The start of the story is in the middle of a massive war, torn between a continental conflict (a la Hundred Years' War) or a civil war (a la War of the Roses).
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I've been working on an MIB/X-Files inspired RP. If anyone's interested, I can post what I have so far.

Somewhat interested. Mostly do to a past project of mine. Don't know if I'll join until I have more details but as I'm familiar with both inspirational sources it's possible.

Ok. Here's what I have so far:

RP Name:
The Blue Skies Project

Background:
It's the year 1965. You are a member of a heavily classified Air Force program, the Blue Skies Project. You know the truth. Aliens are real. You are the Men in Black. Roswell? That was more than a weather balloon. Area 51? There are alien saucers there.

The Blue Skies Project:
The Project was created in 1942 in response to reports of so called "foo fighters" by American pilots. Since then, the Project has confirmed that aliens exist, and covered it up. The Project is jointly led by Captain Robert Daniels and Dr. Samuel McCoy, a scientist. The Project is divided into two subgroups. The first is the Contact, Combat, and Cover team, known as Triple C. They contact, and fight aliens if needed, and come up with a cover story or cover up. Captain Robert Daniels leads the team. The second team is the Science and Research team, or S&R. They study aliens, and are led by Dr. Samuel McCoy. Each team has roughly twenty members. The Project's funding comes from a so-called black fund. In other words, virtually no one who's not on the Project knows where the goes. The Project is based out of Area 51.

Aliens:
Non-hostile aliens are kept at Area 51. Hostile aliens are usually dealt with accordingly. There have been two species contacted so far, who have been scouting Earth out for centuries. There are likely more.
The Skix: A hostile race of lizard people. They can shapeshift.
The Grays: Your stereotypical gray alien. They are friendly.

Triple C: Triple C is made up of Air Force servicemen, and makes use of captured alien technology to fight hostiles.
S&R: They're the professors and scientists. They study the aliens, and modify captured tech.

Apps:

Triple C App:
Name:
Air Force rank:
Personality:

S&R App:
Name:
Area of scientific expertise:
Personality:

Rules:
1. One character only.
2. My word, or a Co-OP's word is law.
3. No godmodding, metagaming, etc.
4. Standard NS RP rules apply, i.e. keep IC in the IC, no flaming, etc.
5. Have fun!
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Hey guys.

I'm thinking about restarting up the Infinites, which was the longest-running comedy on NS. About a team of the lowest level superheroes, all with dumb powers like animating origami or shooting calculators out of the hands, etc.

We had already had an arc started, and I don't want to give up on that arc yet, so people would be coming in mid-stream. But, Infinites has a great way of doing this - basically, the new characters have "always" been there since post 1, even though they were quiet, and even though the player himself doesn't quite know everything.

The ongoing arc is called "Infinites: The Dork Knight" and is a spoof on the Batman genre.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Rupudska wrote:All re[B]osted from Discord.

I have two ideas for what is essentially the same base story for a Mega Man ZX RP, but they are otherwise pretty different.

Both stories are ZX and thus both largely involve Biometal, which is a thing introduced in ZX - basically, living metal containing the souls of past legendary heroes, though all but two are from the Zero series - one is of X, and one is an allusion to Axl so thus also from Mega Man X but is actually based on a ZX character itself; the biometal itself being contained in a phone-sized canister vaguely shaped like a face and vaguely resembling whichever legendary hero it contains a (copy of) the soul of.

Both involve some company developing a Mass Production Biometal (or mass production copies of Biometals) to 'take the strain' off Biomatches (humans/Reploids who can use Biometal, designated as Mega Man Model _ regardless of gender), which while there are implied by the Japanese version to be more than the ones shown in canon are still incredibly rare. The company is up to Nefarious Purposes of course, because all Mega Man games after roughly a quarter of the way through X series are either cyberpunk dystopia disguised as a transhumanist romp or, in the case of Zero, openly cyberpunk dystopia.

The difference (and it's huge) is the backstory, which changes the point in time they are set and the setting of the World. Spoilers for the ending of ZX Advent follow but I don't care about that because it's been ~12 years.

The first is set only a few years, maybe as low as one, after the ending of ZXA, which would likely mean Master Thomas is going to be involved, as was implied by the Expert bonus ending of the game. Things progress as in canon from the ending, and the story focuses on a team of Guardians either using the MPBs or not, up to players, investigating a situation that eventually leads to the company in the typical style of more recent Mega Man games. It'd have a more modern-war, maybe some Guardians of the Galaxy or even Generation Kill esque tone.

The second is a sort of 'bad end' of ZXA in which while Master Albert and Model W was defeated, the damage was already done by the time the main protags returned to land. The Maverick Army he unleashed did irreparable damage to the global economy and political structure. Wars rage on for decades doing further damage, and it simply peters out instead of ending in any treaty. Technology stagnates or even regresses in areas (though to no harm to the actual production of Reploids and humans, as those were considered important enough to keep running), and a feudal system with a sort of caste pops up in many areas - obviously, Biomatches are above non-Biomatches outside of the nobility and certain mercantile nationstates, with their role mostly filling that of knights, or heavy infantry/cavalry for most Mass Production Biometals - with them being at the bottom, the rest mostly in a state of flux depending on politics and whatnot, and Model Z and X at the top. The start of the story is in the middle of a massive war, torn between a continental conflict (a la Hundred Years' War) or a civil war (a la War of the Roses).

While I would be pleased to see a MegaMan RP on NS that specific incarnation doens't interest me as much but I'd still be interested in seeing the Megaman Fandom grow here.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:42 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Somewhat interested. Mostly do to a past project of mine. Don't know if I'll join until I have more details but as I'm familiar with both inspirational sources it's possible.

Ok. Here's what I have so far:

RP Name:
The Blue Skies Project

Background:
It's the year 1965. You are a member of a heavily classified Air Force program, the Blue Skies Project. You know the truth. Aliens are real. You are the Men in Black. Roswell? That was more than a weather balloon. Area 51? There are alien saucers there.

The Blue Skies Project:
The Project was created in 1942 in response to reports of so called "foo fighters" by American pilots. Since then, the Project has confirmed that aliens exist, and covered it up. The Project is jointly led by Captain Robert Daniels and Dr. Samuel McCoy, a scientist. The Project is divided into two subgroups. The first is the Contact, Combat, and Cover team, known as Triple C. They contact, and fight aliens if needed, and come up with a cover story or cover up. Captain Robert Daniels leads the team. The second team is the Science and Research team, or S&R. They study aliens, and are led by Dr. Samuel McCoy. Each team has roughly twenty members. The Project's funding comes from a so-called black fund. In other words, virtually no one who's not on the Project knows where the goes. The Project is based out of Area 51.

Aliens:
Non-hostile aliens are kept at Area 51. Hostile aliens are usually dealt with accordingly. There have been two species contacted so far, who have been scouting Earth out for centuries. There are likely more.

Triple C: Triple C is made up of Air Force servicemen, and makes use of captured alien technology to fight hostiles.
S&R: They're the professors and scientists. They study the aliens, and modify captured tech.

Apps:

Triple C App:
Name:
Air Force rank:
Personality:

S&R App:
Name:
Personality:

Rules:
1. One character only.
5. Have fun!

Well hahahaha I'd like to be reptile but I'll REFRAIN from that :p Think I'll go with S&R. Need to determine specialization though- as I did mostly in science do well with horticulture.
Tomorrow is made today.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:20 am

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Ok. Here's what I have so far:

RP Name:
The Blue Skies Project

Background:

The Blue Skies Project:

Aliens:

Apps:

Triple C App:
Name:
Air Force rank:
Personality:

S&R App:
Name:
Personality:

Rules:
1. One character only.
5. Have fun!

Well hahahaha I'd like to be reptile but I'll REFRAIN from that :p Think I'll go with S&R. Need to determine specialization though- as I did mostly in science do well with horticulture.

So you're interested?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:27 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Well hahahaha I'd like to be reptile but I'll REFRAIN from that :p Think I'll go with S&R. Need to determine specialization though- as I did mostly in science do well with horticulture.

So you're interested?

A little- I don't handle stress all to well and get the feeling that this might be more like the MIB comics in tone or to be more specific- very dark.
Tomorrow is made today.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse