NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 4: Brainstorming, Discussion, Tea, Advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Das Redner
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Das Redner » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Well Toxic Rain was a botch.
Founder of The Nu Reich. (Come join my region!)

Right-Wing Utopiast.

#PurgeLiberalism

Untempered empathy is a cancerous tumor of the mind.

Marveler of Machiavelli.

The Batavia
Senator

Founded: May 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Batavia » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:25 pm

Das Redner wrote:Well Toxic Rain was a botch.

We haven't really started yet. Give people time to get into it
Ditched my old signature. Will be making a pretty looking one when I find the time.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Das Redner
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Das Redner » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:36 pm

The Batavia wrote:

We haven't really started yet. Give people time to get into it

Hm, right then. I’ll give it more time then.

Right-Wing Utopiast.

#PurgeLiberalism

Marveler of Machiavelli.

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Asardia » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:30 pm

I just wanted to pitch an idea out here to see how it's received. I love fantasy, and my last few RPs have been set in a medieval fantasy world. However, I've been thinking about having a story set in the future, where magic and advanced science/technology co exist. I honestly have no idea on what the actual storyline would be, but I just want to see if anyone is willing to collaborate and help me.
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:38 pm

If you've attempted to host an RP that never made it out of the OOC stage would it be worth it to attempt a reboot?
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Dayganistan wrote:If you've attempted to host an RP that never made it out of the OOC stage would it be worth it to attempt a reboot?

I think you would need to get players who would be willing to be involved with it.

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Asardia wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:If you've attempted to host an RP that never made it out of the OOC stage would it be worth it to attempt a reboot?

I think you would need to get players who would be willing to be involved with it.

That's always been my problem. I don't have anyone I can go to and say "hey join my RP" and if I do put something up it's basically up to chance if anyone joins.

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Dayganistan wrote:
Asardia wrote:

That's always been my problem. I don't have anyone I can go to and say "hey join my RP" and if I do put something up it's basically up to chance if anyone joins.

The same thing happened to me honestly. But I made a role play and got a lot of people interested. I don't have a lot of advice since I consider myself lucky (my first RP was successful enough to have players join my second). I believe it really depends on what gets people's attention. My RPs tend to focus around a fantasy world with magic. I don't know about you, but if your recent rps haven't been successful, then maybe you can make something else and gauge interest here. Actually, there's a Discord server where some mentors help you out. I think that can help you.

EDIT: Link to discord
Last edited by Asardia on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Asardia wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:That's always been my problem. I don't have anyone I can go to and say "hey join my RP" and if I do put something up it's basically up to chance if anyone joins.

The same thing happened to me honestly. But I made a role play and got a lot of people interested. I don't have a lot of advice since I consider myself lucky (my first RP was successful enough to have players join my second). I believe it really depends on what gets people's attention. My RPs tend to focus around a fantasy world with magic. I don't know about you, but if your recent rps haven't been successful, then maybe you can make something else and gauge interest here. Actually, there's a Discord server where some mentors help you out. I think that can help you.

It's a shame it has to come to that, I'm not particularly interested in fantasy or superhero settings but that's all that gets taken seriously around here I guess. The lack of variety is extremely frustrating.

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Dayganistan wrote:
Asardia wrote:

It's a shame it has to come to that, I'm not particularly interested in fantasy or superhero settings but that's all that gets taken seriously around here I guess. The lack of variety is extremely frustrating.

Yeah most of the RPs on the front two pages are pretty much fantasy/superhero. But what does interest you? While you may not like fantasy, what about science fiction? What are your thoughts on a Ghost in the Shell-esque RP?
Last edited by Asardia on Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Allied Wessex
Secretary

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Wessex » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:02 am

Ithalian Empire wrote:
Allied Wessex wrote:Hi guys

I’m a newbie hoping to find a decent fantasy game which is looking for new players.

I’ve got some gaming experience and aside from RL being hectic (isn’t it for us all?) I should be able to post two or three times a week.

Any ideas most welcome :-)

If its character RP you want, then there is this, Legends of Eroris. We are looking for new players and would be happy to get you up to speed on what has gone on in the in-character thread as well as get you along with the lore

PM sent.

Such an amazing looking RP - so much depth and character.

Truthfully though, with my limited time I’m not sure I could do justice to such a master piece.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:02 am

Don't give up yet. It's the holidays, and people may not have much time to post or work on apps.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:44 am

Dayganistan wrote:
Asardia wrote:

I've only had success doing superhero settings or similar ones really, and I could make the argument that alternate history and political based RPs are the stronger genre and that they're killing superhero threads... Which don't really have all that long a life usually to be honest, not in comparison to some other threads.

But no, I don't think you need to stick to one or two genres to get taken seriously. Even in those genres, keeping a thread alive long term is damn hard. Not a lot of people are able to do it, but it's possible.

You have to be willing to do something yourself sometimes if nobody else has made the kind of thread you want, and work with what you have as much as possible. What I mean by that is that you might not have the highest player count on the subforum, but you should always be communicating with the players that you do have and seeing what will keep them active, and how much time and commitment they have to the RP because that affects what you can do in it. For example, you wouldn't want to plan a giant action scene meant for 10 players to collaborate on when you only have 5 active players and the RP will die waiting on the rest of the group that isn't that interested.

And yeah sometimes there's threads that are duds right away and nobody joins. But if you can manage to get it off the ground, you don't need a huge player count to have a successful thread. You just have to basically be pretty observant and resourceful because a lot of the time your players aren't going to outright tell you everything that you could do to make an excellent thread. You get thread death when you expect activity to be a given and don't work to earn it.

This post kind of got off track, but the main point I wanted to make was that if there's not enough variety, you should try putting something out there. Less variety also means less competition for a more original idea. Just make sure you put in the work to make it stand out and the work to maintain it, which I think is the biggest thing with thread success rather than genre.
don't tread on me

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:16 am

Dayganistan wrote:
Asardia wrote:

Superhero, sci-fi, and fantasy RPs have a broader appeal because anyone can participate. Joining a historical/alt-historical/modern politics RP requires a thorough understanding of the historical area and period the RP is set in.
Last edited by Utceforp on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Forest State wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:It's a shame it has to come to that, I'm not particularly interested in fantasy or superhero settings but that's all that gets taken seriously around here I guess. The lack of variety is extremely frustrating.

I've only had success doing superhero settings or similar ones really, and I could make the argument that alternate history and political based RPs are the stronger genre and that they're killing superhero threads... Which don't really have all that long a life usually to be honest, not in comparison to some other threads.

But no, I don't think you need to stick to one or two genres to get taken seriously. Even in those genres, keeping a thread alive long term is damn hard. Not a lot of people are able to do it, but it's possible.

You have to be willing to do something yourself sometimes if nobody else has made the kind of thread you want, and work with what you have as much as possible. What I mean by that is that you might not have the highest player count on the subforum, but you should always be communicating with the players that you do have and seeing what will keep them active, and how much time and commitment they have to the RP because that affects what you can do in it. For example, you wouldn't want to plan a giant action scene meant for 10 players to collaborate on when you only have 5 active players and the RP will die waiting on the rest of the group that isn't that interested.

And yeah sometimes there's threads that are duds right away and nobody joins. But if you can manage to get it off the ground, you don't need a huge player count to have a successful thread. You just have to basically be pretty observant and resourceful because a lot of the time your players aren't going to outright tell you everything that you could do to make an excellent thread. You get thread death when you expect activity to be a given and don't work to earn it.

This post kind of got off track, but the main point I wanted to make was that if there's not enough variety, you should try putting something out there. Less variety also means less competition for a more original idea. Just make sure you put in the work to make it stand out and the work to maintain it, which I think is the biggest thing with thread success rather than genre.

Believe me I'd be happy to get 5 players who would stick with it. I've been in RPs with upwards of 20 people and they still died. But I guess it's just a matter of limited appeal. Nobody seems to want a character based, historical or modern war RP except for me. If people wanted it you'd think someone else would post it by now.

Allied Wessex
Secretary

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Wessex » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Back in the day I played (albeit briefly) an RPG set in 16th century Britain called Maelstrom.

Great fun and if there was ever interest in something like that I’d be up for it.

United Anorbonum
Envoy

Founded: Aug 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby United Anorbonum » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Allied Wessex wrote:Back in the day I played (albeit briefly) an RPG set in 16th century Britain called Maelstrom.

Great fun and if there was ever interest in something like that I’d be up for it.

Well, nothing's stopping you from rebooting it.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:20 am

Forest State wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:It's a shame it has to come to that, I'm not particularly interested in fantasy or superhero settings but that's all that gets taken seriously around here I guess. The lack of variety is extremely frustrating.

On the subject of long lasting RPs with low player counts, one of my earliest RPs lasted months, and the active player count consisted of me and a regionmate.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Dayganistan wrote:
Forest State wrote:I've only had success doing superhero settings or similar ones really, and I could make the argument that alternate history and political based RPs are the stronger genre and that they're killing superhero threads... Which don't really have all that long a life usually to be honest, not in comparison to some other threads.

Believe me I'd be happy to get 5 players who would stick with it. I've been in RPs with upwards of 20 people and they still died. But I guess it's just a matter of limited appeal. Nobody seems to want a character based, historical or modern war RP except for me. If people wanted it you'd think someone else would post it by now.

Have you tried contacting people directly instead of making a thread and then hoping that people stumble into it? I've had some success talking with people who, for example, are already interested in the kind of thread I had. I know there's interest in war RPs too because I can remember special forces RPs being a trend at one point... Maybe it's died down a bit but it's been done successfully before.
don't tread on me

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Forest State wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:Believe me I'd be happy to get 5 players who would stick with it. I've been in RPs with upwards of 20 people and they still died. But I guess it's just a matter of limited appeal. Nobody seems to want a character based, historical or modern war RP except for me. If people wanted it you'd think someone else would post it by now.

Have you tried contacting people directly instead of making a thread and then hoping that people stumble into it? I've had some success talking with people who, for example, are already interested in the kind of thread I had. I know there's interest in war RPs too because I can remember special forces RPs being a trend at one point... Maybe it's died down a bit but it's been done successfully before.

I don't really interact with enough people to even know who would be remotely interested. I don't have a core group that I've been consistently RPing with because there hasn't been anything that's even remotely interested me that I've wanted to join in the last 6 months if not more. How am I supposed to reach out to people if I'm just some random guy trying to get people I've never interacted with before to join my sub par RP?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Dayganistan wrote:
Forest State wrote:Have you tried contacting people directly instead of making a thread and then hoping that people stumble into it? I've had some success talking with people who, for example, are already interested in the kind of thread I had. I know there's interest in war RPs too because I can remember special forces RPs being a trend at one point... Maybe it's died down a bit but it's been done successfully before.

I don't really interact with enough people to even know who would be remotely interested. I don't have a core group that I've been consistently RPing with because there hasn't been anything that's even remotely interested me that I've wanted to join in the last 6 months if not more. How am I supposed to reach out to people if I'm just some random guy trying to get people I've never interacted with before to join my sub par RP?

True... you could contact people who have tagged or applied for similar RPs you've hosted. It's a vague association but it's not as random; "Hello, this is Dayganistan. While X RP didn't get off the ground I remember your interest in it and am inviting you to my most recent project. Perhaps this time we'll get things rolling."
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Das Redner
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Das Redner » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:55 am

Someone received a book of Edgar Allan Poe’s greatest works. Much to his delight. And a new derby hat.

Right-Wing Utopiast.

#PurgeLiberalism

Marveler of Machiavelli.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:54 am

I've got an RP setting called 'Sentient Nature' as I couldn't come up with a name that better defined what the setting is.

Inspired by The Animals of Farthing Wood, Redwall, Alpha and Omega, The Guardians of Ga'Hoole, and a few other productions the setting is as it says- animals with human intellect with the Redwall influence coming in the form of near medieval technology.

Sounds interesting but I found the setting to have some.... implications.

For examples, not every animal can craft due to physical limitations- snakes and wolves for example. Only a few creatures have the capacity to use tools in some fashion. Animals that can not rely on those who can to maintain civilization and this has resulted in slavery of a large population.

There is also the whole predator and prey dynamic adding to the setting's... potential darkness.

I bring all this up as I'm interested in working with someone here to launch another RP in that setting which is still being built (so you have plenty of liberty). My only request is that I be allowed to play Sala, a snake whose name means peace. She's- a courteously polite serpent slow to anger and patient but she's still a snake. Sala was one of twelve, the last to hatch of a queen's brood- Sala had to flee her realm when a mongoose aided rebel factions resulting in the death of all but herself (who escape) and the establishment of a new state. She could return to retake the throne- if she had allies.

Indeed I had launched an RP with her as an antagonist but it didn't conclude it's narrative- I've not got the best OP track record and that's why I'm asking if anyone is willing to host their own RP in the setting and let me be a player character to experience it. Since the setting is being reformed you can do what you want with the idea mentioned above (what the setting is) and I'll come along. I wont make rulings on anything unless you desire me to- it's your take on the concept and I plan to accept that. I find it easier for me to be a player then I do being an Operator- I'm great at world building but managing an RP not so much so you allowing me to take part in an RP like the above will be appreciated.
Last edited by Harbertia on Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

The Hierophancy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hierophancy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:20 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
Please provide as much detail as possible.
RP's Overarching Concept: Decline and Fall of the Galactic Empire - Similar to the setting of the Foundation Series sans the Foundation.
Genre/s: Sci-Fi, Apoc / Post-Apoc
Character or Faction Based: Faction Based
Detailed Description: Ever since I read the Foundation series I've really wanted to do an RP in something similar to it's universe - an ancient, decadent and declining Galactic Empire starting it's gradual decline and fall into a Galaxy-spanning Dark Age, unless, perhaps, players can somehow avoid that apparent inevitability. The RP would start after the death of the Emperor who would come to be known as the last to rule over a unified Galaxy. Players would be able to RP as factions seeking to uphold and maintain the Empire, take control of it or achieve independence, and create their own lore for whatever Sector or world they wanted to be based on. They could also try their hand at a member of the Imperial Government, be it General, Senator, Grand Admiral, or if they really felt like it some enterprising space-peasant. I'd be RPing as the Emperor himself and do what I can to make being in my faction a nightmare of bureaucracy, bickering and general awfulness to encourage separatism. Oh, and the galaxy is entirely human - intelligent xenos either never existed, have been driven to extinction in the glorious wars of human domination, or are in hiding / coming over from intergalactic space, depending on how many RPers there are and if any want to be xeno filth.

Need Help With: Making this an actual RP, gauging interest - I'm not particularly experienced with making or moderating RPs, nor am I sure if I'd be very good at it or if what lore I have is enough or at it's core good / interesting for an RP. I'm just itching to see a Fall of the Galactic Empire RP. Oh, and if an RP similar to my idea already exists, I'd appreciate being pointed in it's direction.

Please leave this hashtag in place: #Mentorhelp

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:I don't really interact with enough people to even know who would be remotely interested. I don't have a core group that I've been consistently RPing with because there hasn't been anything that's even remotely interested me that I've wanted to join in the last 6 months if not more. How am I supposed to reach out to people if I'm just some random guy trying to get people I've never interacted with before to join my sub par RP?

True... you could contact people who have tagged or applied for similar RPs you've hosted. It's a vague association but it's not as random; "Hello, this is Dayganistan. While X RP didn't get off the ground I remember your interest in it and am inviting you to my most recent project. Perhaps this time we'll get things rolling."

There's pretty much no point anyway. The kind of RPs I want to join seem doomed to failure whether I'm hosting them or someone else. I don't know why I'm still here in the vague hope I'll see something appealing to me that's not going to die immediately. I don't even know what happened, about a year or 2 ago I could regularly find RPs that were appealing to me. But now, literally nothing.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse