NATION

PASSWORD

Age of Blood and Fire [Medieval/Fantasy RP][OOC]

For all of your non-Nationstates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Minister
 
Posts: 3278
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:49 am

Ralnis wrote:
New Socialist South Africa wrote:
They have heard some rumours from the merchants that pass through their forests, but little more than that. They don't even know what name to call them or what languages they speak, hence why I just called them "cat-humans".

Well the Goblins would see Tribal Iniki who are closer to humans in size and have a tendancy to eat beastmen that they fight.

They'll fight to keep the Westernwoods the same as they have became their size and breeds because of it.


I've sent a diplomat and his bodyguards your way (with the white sheepskin banner of peace), do you want me to just state when I get there or will you manage the arrival of the diplomat?
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22261
Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ralnis » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 am

New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Well the Goblins would see Tribal Iniki who are closer to humans in size and have a tendancy to eat beastmen that they fight.

They'll fight to keep the Westernwoods the same as they have became their size and breeds because of it.


I've sent a diplomat and his bodyguards your way (with the white sheepskin banner of peace), do you want me to just state when I get there or will you manage the arrival of the diplomat?

I can manage it. The Tribals have fought Goblins, usually the common gave dwelling variety, and eat them. So expect hostile first contact and strange looks as they didn't expect Goblins to live in the forest.
I'm a damn fool, asking me anything is like asking a brick wall the meaning of life. I don't know anything and will never know anything for that is my meaning on this Earth.
Also, to all who roleplay with me. Please understand that I will break the rules, goddmod, complain, break friendships, and will cause nothing but chaos for everyone. So please, if you see me make an app in your RP, reject it automatically and banned me from ever being in that RP. It will be safe for everyone for I am cancer, and cancer must be isolated and destroyed.

Should anyone wish that I am just seeking attention for pity bullshit, you are right. Therefore please don't send any TGs about asking if this a prank, trolling, or anything of the like. Any rationals you come up for my behavior are all true.

User avatar
Spindle
Senator
 
Posts: 4498
Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Spindle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:54 am

New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Spindle wrote:Don't worry about it, then. I'll just have to get off my mental arse and figure out how to stop my horses from exploding.


That does seem like a predicament. The goblins can trade poisons quite effectively, as that is one of their other specialties. That is what they originally came to trade anyway, and equipped on bows and spears they make for effective tools for infantry, archers, cavalry and cavalry archers alike. They are seeking a trade of that for munitions and more steel weapons.


Quick question, do you have something closer to potions, or just something which spikes adrenaline or somesuch?
Disclaimer: Nothing said here is the product of a rational mind.
So...apparently I'm a decent writer. Um...wait, what?
Relativity, nukes in space, nukes in atmosphere, LASERs, MASERs, kinetic weapons, missile and kinetic CIWS, impactors and centripital force.

And, of course, for anything at all, you can always go here.

User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Minister
 
Posts: 3278
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Spindle wrote:
New Socialist South Africa wrote:
That does seem like a predicament. The goblins can trade poisons quite effectively, as that is one of their other specialties. That is what they originally came to trade anyway, and equipped on bows and spears they make for effective tools for infantry, archers, cavalry and cavalry archers alike. They are seeking a trade of that for munitions and more steel weapons.


Quick question, do you have something closer to potions, or just something which spikes adrenaline or somesuch?


We do have drąsa, fermented direwolf milk, which is said to inspire bravery amongst its drinkers. Beyond that, Speniai the Venomous, Vadas of the Gyvatė, is quite inventive. She may be able to produce a mild snake venom poison that increases heart rate and adrenaline, increasing short term fighting capability, but leaving users exhausted afterwards.
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Duestchstien
Minister
 
Posts: 2639
Founded: Nov 15, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Duestchstien » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Is this territory open?
https://imgur.com/a/ZPi24
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria



User avatar
Duestchstien
Minister
 
Posts: 2639
Founded: Nov 15, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Duestchstien » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Image
The Kingdom of Cairnmuir

High King Fynn Lithwuin
Image

A Highlander king born in the citadel of Inverkeld, Fynn grew up taught by his tutor Luath Denelyne, and went on hunting trips with military leaders. He was elevated to a high position of servitude and was selected as the heir to the throne by the former high king. This prompted him to continue studies and become the best he could. He showed that he had earned his title when he crushed the Cirth Rebellion with an army of just 1,500 spear men and bowmen and a small unit of cavalry. This victory brought him to favorable position with many nobles in the region. After his military victory he was given control of the Cirth Mountain region, he developed the mountainous region creating a system of cobbled roads and connecting the previously disconnected separate towns. He also helped popularize methods to farm and herd cattle in the harsh terrain of the region, using horse driven plows and mountain sheep to help the region. This brought the new king into favor with the previous rebellious region which lead to a long period of stability at the beginning of his rain which he was able to use to develop the rest of the kingdom and build dirt and cobble roads to finally connect the rural parts of the country to the urban cities.

Government
Description of Government: The country formed as a result of multiple clans forming together, thus it started as an elective monarchy. However since the current king's supporters usually dominated the vote, the system was changed to the king just selecting an heir that he believed to be strong. A list of requirements was created so that a good king was made sure to be chosen, the most important though was that it couldn't be the offspring of the current king. The king also has a royal court of nobles from each region. The court of nobles is very influential in the politics of the nation, they select the generals and make sure each of the regions of the kingdom has a voice in affairs, though their advice is used to the discretion of the king. Each region is based on the borders of former clans and these regions are usually lead by the same families. The country has a national treasury, and Bronze Coins are the official currency of the nation, though barter is still popular and common. The military and other government institutions are upheld and funded through taxes that even the king is subject to.
Government Type: Absolute Non-Hereditary Monarchy
Sigil/Emblem: (Flag is above)
Image

Population: 923,000

Military
Military number : 36,920 (4% of Population)
Military Outline:
(General listing of the types of troops involved. If large, please put in spoiler)

History and Culture
Languages: High Cairnish
(For simplicities sake, all nations have at least basic knowledge of the Imperial language spoken primarily by humans.)
History:
Religion: Highland Pantheon
(Leave empty for now)
Races:
80% Highlander Human (A sub race of humans that tend to be taller and stronger and farewell in colder areas, but don't farewell in warmer or arid temperatures and areas.)
14% Highland Dwarves (A sub race of dwarves that prefer to live in towns and villages above ground, but are better herders and masons)
4% Normal Human
2% Other (Mainly Dragons, Elves, and Other Dwarves)
(If not human, at least a vague description is advised.):

Geography and Foreign Relations
Capital City: Falmarigg
Land Controlled:
(Can be filled in after map is live)
Allies:
Enemies:
(Historical enemies and allies story wise, per example the humans are considered the enemy because of the actions of the empire, etc, etc)


WIP
Last edited by Duestchstien on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria



User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Minister
 
Posts: 3278
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 pm

Duestchstien wrote:Is this territory open?
https://imgur.com/a/ZPi24


New Romastia has made an app claiming an area that includes the area you want (https://imgur.com/a/9MvHd), but is hasn't been approved or denied yet. I think you will just have to wait until the OP decides what to do about it (might just limit New Romastia's territory, or ask you to move). I'm sure that will be worked out in due course however, unless it is just a piece of disputed land and you start off fighting one another, which could be interesting.
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Duestchstien
Minister
 
Posts: 2639
Founded: Nov 15, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Duestchstien » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 pm

New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Duestchstien wrote:Is this territory open?
https://imgur.com/a/ZPi24


New Romastia has made an app claiming an area that includes the area you want (https://imgur.com/a/9MvHd), but is hasn't been approved or denied yet. I think you will just have to wait until the OP decides what to do about it (might just limit New Romastia's territory, or ask you to move). I'm sure that will be worked out in due course however, unless it is just a piece of disputed land and you start off fighting one another, which could be interesting.

K. I have some back up locations in case.
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria



User avatar
Tysklandia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 516
Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tysklandia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:29 pm

I have sent the jarldom dwarfs a list of what he needs to change a few days back, I haven't had a response.

I'll give him atleast a few more days to let me know something, if he doesn't, you can claim the area. (if your application is done and accepted.)

User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Minister
 
Posts: 3278
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:43 pm

I know the exact location might change later, but where about should Kal'Erundir be located? I've been going off the assumption it would be located in the mountain in the forests north of the Forest of Wolves (more or less where they were guessed as being https://i.imgur.com/M9972wj.jpg?1)

Hence I sent a diplomat there to make peace between the Forest Goblins and the Dwarves of Kal'Erundir, and to talk of trade.If they are located in some far flung mountains that obviously makes less sense however, as then there is less reason for the goblins of the Wolf Forest to have even heard of them, let alone to try make peace with them.
Last edited by New Socialist South Africa on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Duestchstien
Minister
 
Posts: 2639
Founded: Nov 15, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Duestchstien » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 pm

what would you say is a good population for my current area?
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria



User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Minister
 
Posts: 3278
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Duestchstien wrote:what would you say is a good population for my current area?


If I may make a suggestion, seeing as how it seems to very much be a fantasy version of the highlands, the Medieval population estimates of Scotland may be a good basis.

[From the admittedly unacademic source that is wikipedia:

"There are almost no written sources from which to reconstruct the demography of early medieval Scotland. This was probably a high fertility, high mortality society, similar to developing countries in the modern world. The population may have grown from half a million to a million by the mid-fourteenth century when the Black Death reached the country. It may then have fallen to as low as half a million by the end of the fifteenth century. Roughly half lived north of the River Tay and perhaps 10 per cent in the burghs that grew up in the later medieval period. [...] The earliest reliable evidence suggests a population of 1.2 million in 1681".]

As your nation seems to be based more on the highlands alone, rather than all of Scotland, I'd suggest about half of the Medieval population of Scotland, so anywhere between 250 000 to 500 000 people (depending on how the age of woes hit them). If it is based more on Scotland in its entirety, that number could be more in the 500 000 to 1 million range (again depending on how the age of woes hit them). That gives you a population large enough to raise a decent army, especially if you are quite a warlike people.
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Duestchstien
Minister
 
Posts: 2639
Founded: Nov 15, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Duestchstien » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm

New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Duestchstien wrote:what would you say is a good population for my current area?


If I may make a suggestion, seeing as how it seems to very much be a fantasy version of the highlands, the Medieval population estimates of Scotland may be a good basis.

[From the admittedly unacademic source that is wikipedia:

"There are almost no written sources from which to reconstruct the demography of early medieval Scotland. This was probably a high fertility, high mortality society, similar to developing countries in the modern world. The population may have grown from half a million to a million by the mid-fourteenth century when the Black Death reached the country. It may then have fallen to as low as half a million by the end of the fifteenth century. Roughly half lived north of the River Tay and perhaps 10 per cent in the burghs that grew up in the later medieval period. [...] The earliest reliable evidence suggests a population of 1.2 million in 1681".]

As your nation seems to be based more on the highlands alone, rather than all of Scotland, I'd suggest about half of the Medieval population of Scotland, so anywhere between 250 000 to 500 000 people (depending on how the age of woes hit them). If it is based more on Scotland in its entirety, that number could be more in the 500 000 to 1 million range (again depending on how the age of woes hit them). That gives you a population large enough to raise a decent army, especially if you are quite a warlike people.

Yah its suppose to be like a mix between Wales and Scotland (though its far more Scottish than welsh).
However seeing as the country I've designed is around 2 to 2.5 times larger than Scotland id say its safe to put the population around 850 to 900 thousand maybe even 1 million. However this is very helpful feedback and information, so thanks a lot, and ill make sure to take that helpful knowledge into account.
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria



User avatar
Jhet
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 422
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jhet » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Duestchstien wrote:Yah its suppose to be like a mix between Wales and Scotland (though its far more Scottish than welsh).
However seeing as the country I've designed is around 2 to 2.5 times larger than Scotland id say its safe to put the population around 850 to 900 thousand maybe even 1 million. However this is very helpful feedback and information, so thanks a lot, and ill make sure to take that helpful knowledge into account.

A very rough histogram calc puts the area claimed just over twice the size of Scotland (including the isles).

User avatar
Dragos Bee
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1096
Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:30 pm

Sorry for the two-liner; just woke up late.
I am only here for RPs, so please don't PM me unless it's business related to Roleplaying.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Back in NS (again).

User avatar
Jhet
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 422
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jhet » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm

A minor thing and more personal preference but would quoted replies please be snipped instead of just leaving the whole post in quotes? They are all big posts and as such awkward to read/scroll through while on phone.

User avatar
Dragos Bee
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1096
Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Jhet wrote:A minor thing and more personal preference but would quoted replies please be snipped instead of just leaving the whole post in quotes? They are all big posts and as such awkward to read/scroll through while on phone.


Made the required edit.
I am only here for RPs, so please don't PM me unless it's business related to Roleplaying.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Back in NS (again).

User avatar
Kaledoria
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1392
Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaledoria » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:36 am

Hallimas Islands: Your nations Isolation was 100 years ago, right? Because I wrote, that my Dwarf's parents, not his Grandparents did not get into Fifteen Peaks before they isolated, making him around 80 now, which I think is "in his best years" for a dwarf. You wrote his grandparents, was this just a missreading or a hint, that he can't possibly be that old, to be son of someone living at the time?



New Socialist South Africa wrote:I know the exact location might change later, but where about should Kal'Erundir be located? I've been going off the assumption it would be located in the mountain in the forests north of the Forest of Wolves (more or less where they were guessed as being https://i.imgur.com/M9972wj.jpg?1)
(...)

I second the question: Where are Kal'Erundir and Vindelicorum?
Last edited by Kaledoria on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Arvenia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9837
Founded: Aug 21, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Arvenia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:48 am

Kaledoria wrote:Hallimas Islands: Your nations Isolation was 100 years ago, right? Because I wrote, that my Dwarf's parents, not his Grandparents did not get into Fifteen Peaks before they isolated, making him around 80 now, which I think is "in his best years" for a dwarf. You wrote his grandparents, was this just a missreading or a hint, that he can't possibly be that old, to be son of someone living at the time?



New Socialist South Africa wrote:I know the exact location might change later, but where about should Kal'Erundir be located? I've been going off the assumption it would be located in the mountain in the forests north of the Forest of Wolves (more or less where they were guessed as being https://i.imgur.com/M9972wj.jpg?1)
(...)

I second the question: Where are Kal'Erundir and Vindelicorum?

I am still trying to figure out how my first IC post would be.
Pro: Capitalism, Corporatism, Liberalism, Nationalism, Sweden, USA, UN, China, Japan, South Korea, Anime, Manga, Democracy, Monarchy, Republic, Akihito, Jesus, Sci-Fi, Animal Rights, Gender Equality, Mecha, Autism, Gustav Vasa, Zombies, Secularism, LGBT Rights and Religion

Anti: Racism, Nazism, WMD, Fascism, EU, Socialism, Donald Trump, Adolf Hitler, Neo-Nazism, KKK, Benito Mussolini, Joseph Stalin, North Korea, Russia, Iran, Saudi-Arabia, Communism, Imperialism, Xenophobia, Homophobia, WBC, Satanism, Anarchy, Cyberbullying, ISIS, al-Qaeda, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, 969 Movement, Uyoku Dantai, Political Correctness, Anti-Autistic Sentiment and Apocalypse

User avatar
Tysklandia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 516
Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tysklandia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 am

Kaledoria wrote:Hallimas Islands: Your nations Isolation was 100 years ago, right? Because I wrote, that my Dwarf's parents, not his Grandparents did not get into Fifteen Peaks before they isolated, making him around 80 now, which I think is "in his best years" for a dwarf. You wrote his grandparents, was this just a missreading or a hint, that he can't possibly be that old, to be son of someone living at the time?



New Socialist South Africa wrote:I know the exact location might change later, but where about should Kal'Erundir be located? I've been going off the assumption it would be located in the mountain in the forests north of the Forest of Wolves (more or less where they were guessed as being https://i.imgur.com/M9972wj.jpg?1)
(...)

I second the question: Where are Kal'Erundir and Vindelicorum?


I did a shitty quick paint thing on the discord for its location. I'll have a day off tommorow for some proper map creation time

User avatar
Greater Dmanian
Envoy
 
Posts: 306
Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Dmanian » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:10 pm

Name of Faction: The Kingdom of Otrea
(Kingdom, republic, tribe, etc)
Ruler: King Herman, of Imperial and Otrean descent he must answer to his noble vassals who control much of the land.
Description of Government: A Feudal system where the King is the absolute 'owner' of all land under the kingdom, he then grants the land for his vassals to hold them who in turn grant it to lesser landowners and so on. However the King is expected to defer to a council consisting of the upper nobility. (Earls and up) Day to day governance is often placed upon this Noble Council while diplomacy and war is handled by the King's Privy Council consisting of clergy, officers, judiciary and high ranking nobles.
Government Type: Feudalism
Sigil/Emblem:
Image

Population: 1 920 000
Military number : 28,000 levies can be called upon, more at great cost to the economy and peasantry. This body supports the King's Household military of 5,000 men.
Navy: The nature of Otrea being an island has made some form of navy a necessity, although not as powerful as it has been in the past the Ortean navy bolsters a respectable number of dedicated warships bolstered by a large merchant navy that can be appropriated during times of war for transport and supply. The constant encounters with goblin raiders to the north and various other human pirates in the hundreds of tiny islands that chain the coast of Ortea have left the navy highly experienced. Crews are often dedicated to a ship and receive a steady pay.
Military outline :
Peasant Levy: Those living on the land of a local lord would often be required to serve if the King called upon his vassals during times of war. Although a minimum standard of training and equipment was demanded the quality of these troops varied wildly depending on the wealth of the noble and their willingness to invest in them. Usually equipped with spears or other polearms. Longbow men are drawn from their ranks.

Freeholders: Upper Peasantry, lower middle class who owned a plot of land. Expected to equip and arm themselves to a standard to fight in heavy infantry formations, due to the nature of their class they make up a minor portion of the army. Fight in shield walls or are used to protect archers.

Mounted Knight: Heavily armoured and armed noble or knight on horseback. Used to devastating effect on unsteady, poorly equipped or retreating enemies, the core of the army. Mostly found under the banner of the Household military. They can dismount and fight on foot as heavy infantry if need be or conditions do not permit the use of Calvary.

Household Soldier: Professional paid men who personally serve the king or extremely wealthy vassals, their number depends on the finances of the kingdom and fluctuates heavily over the years. The extended period of peace has left them the largest size in living memory consisting of a mixed force of 5,000 heavy infantry, longbowmen and knights.


(General listing of the types of troops involved. If large, please put in spoiler)
Languages: Ortean Imperial
History:
During the early days of the imperials the island remained a collection of small tribes at the edge of the known world. While the continent fell to the supremacy of the legions it soon turned its eyes on prizes beyond it's landlocked rivals. Despite initial efforts at appeasing the continental superpower and avoiding conflict the native Ortean tribes quickly began to suffer a series of encroachments by the invading forces, small probing attempts that were driven off only to bring greater retaliation. An attempt was made to form a tribal confederacy to unite against the foreign threat however any hope of a unified defence collapsed when the Imperials convinced a number of chiefs to aid them in exchange for gaining influence and land when their occupation began. The pitched force awaiting the arrival of the imperial legions dissipated in a night as each chief withdrew to their own lands to protect themselves. In a short campaign much of the western Island was under Imperial control and the rest followed within a short few years.

Despite the improvements to infrastructure and organisation the Imperials brought with them the populace chaffed under their rule and numerous attempts to rise up were made when Legion numbers waned to deal with other foreign conquests. When the Great sundering arrived the Orteans were one of the first to make their move and break free from Imperial Yolk, the lone legion left to hold the capital of Famont found itself facing down hundreds of rebels and faced with it's Ortean auxiliary defecting they were driven from the island with heavy losses. Numerous imperial families and citizens were butchered that day as centuries of anger were unleashed on the populace. Although free the country quickly dissipated into territorial lines.

In the years during the Sundering numerous Pretender kings would attempt to unite the Island facing failure and leaving the island open to invasion by Goblin raiders who were allowed to set up permanent bases in coves during the infighting to raid and pillage nearby villages. The failure to address them only emboldened them and soon armies were fielded to sack entire cities, lords attempted to pay tribute to spare their subjects to no avail. The first Ortean King would finally be forged in this crucible of fire, King Durran the Chosen would crown himself and unite the largest Kingdoms under his banner and lead them against the Goblin Hordes in a great Crusade. Defeating them in a decisive battle he routed them back to their coastal hovels.

King Durran's Quarter would later come to describe the events that transpired when his army reached the Goblin settlements. It is said his army rode from settlement to settlement killing anyone they found, entire generations of Goblins were brutally killed or driven into the stormy seas. Those that survived took refuge in the island chains to the north and still to the present day harass Ortean sailors. The dark days of the years after the end of imperial rule seem distant however new troubles now arise in discontent nobles and subjects. The rebellious hearts of the Orteans may still end their rise.
Religion: A monotheistic version of the Alcenian Pantheon with elements of the old Ortean Religion. 'Odum' and 'Tilmus' are rolled into one entity known as 'Otar'
Races: Human with a small elvish and goblin minority.
Capital City: Famont
Land Controlled:
Image

Allies:
Enemies: Goblin sea raiders on the various small islands to the north.

Map of Otrean Dukedoms Image
Last edited by Greater Dmanian on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 am, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Kaledoria
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1392
Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaledoria » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:06 pm

I made a thing for my nation :D

Image

User avatar
Hallimas Islands
Secretary
 
Posts: 35
Founded: Dec 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallimas Islands » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Kaledoria wrote:Hallimas Islands: Your nations Isolation was 100 years ago, right? Because I wrote, that my Dwarf's parents, not his Grandparents did not get into Fifteen Peaks before they isolated, making him around 80 now, which I think is "in his best years" for a dwarf. You wrote his grandparents, was this just a missreading or a hint, that he can't possibly be that old, to be son of someone living at the time?



New Socialist South Africa wrote:I know the exact location might change later, but where about should Kal'Erundir be located? I've been going off the assumption it would be located in the mountain in the forests north of the Forest of Wolves (more or less where they were guessed as being https://i.imgur.com/M9972wj.jpg?1)
(...)

I second the question: Where are Kal'Erundir and Vindelicorum?


The isolation occured around 100-150 years ago. That was when the Alcenians were marching on the Suthar-Khals, shortly after this exploit the Age of Woes began. Yes, so it would be his grandparents or great-grandparents that would be excluded out of the mountains.
From Island to Island, Fiat et Iustitia Supremus

User avatar
Tysklandia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 516
Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tysklandia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:13 pm

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/EVkH

I didn't have time today, but here are the locations atleast.

User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Minister
 
Posts: 3278
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:57 pm

Tysklandia wrote:https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/EVkH

I didn't have time today, but here are the locations atleast.


Ah I see, Kal'Erundir is a little further off than I had imagined. That's all good though, I'm sure the Goblin's of Wolf Forest would still have heard of them, at the very least in terms of their legendary armour and weapons. Instead of despatching emissaries straight to them however, seeing as how close they are to Shi Tialle, Sekme and his host will just go north to talk to them after he is done speaking with the council in Shi Tialle. That makes more sense than sending two delegations in the exact same direction, but with one just going a little further than the other. I'll edit my first post on that now, and have the emissaries turn up after I'm done negotiating with the council.
Last edited by New Socialist South Africa on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arasi Luvasa, Britanania, Burgerlandia, Civilization OP, Damverland, Dentali, Hastur, Inmeria, Lazarian, Miekzhemy, Sraelyn, Talchyon, UniversalCommons, Woodstovia

Advertisement

Remove ads