NATION

PASSWORD

Tales of Two Horizons II IC- CN Sponsored- Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:00 pm

This was a co-op post made with The Industrial States of Columbia , so special thanks to him!

London, The United Kingdom

“Foreign Secretary, the envoys from the Hanseatic League are here to see you. Shall I send them in?”

“Ah yes, thank you Adam.”

Palmerston smiled warmly as the Hanseatic ambassadors entered the room, “Welcome my good gentlemen. If you would please be seated, refreshments will be provided shortly.”

Three Hanseatic representatives entered the room accordingly, wearing formal attire for the occasion. Taking a seat, the oldest-looking man, Arnold began to speak.
“Greetings, Lord Palmerston, thank you for having us here in London. The British Empire and the Hanseatic Cities have had good ties for many years now, and I’m glad our governments have finally decided to strengthen our trade ties,” He said. He was not too old or feeble, yet had wrinkles upon his Germanic face. Some younger folk from his home Lubeck would even say his choice of attire was out of date.

“Oh, I am happy to oblige ambassador. As trading nations, we have a better understanding of each other’s situations than most, and I am sure that we can draft something that will leave both our parties satisfied.”

A man entered the room with a service of tea and biscuits, “Will the lords take their tea with sugar?”

“Oh we’re no Lords, just simple men from the League. But yes, we would like sugar, and other goodies if you have any,” Peter remarked. Though they restrained it, his fellow representatives cringed lightly at his unprofessionalism. Peter was a chubby figure, and were it not specially made for his body size, his suit’s buttons would’ve fired off like bullets at uncivilized Africans.

“Now, what shall we discuss first? I believe this conference is important for determining the future of both of our nations, and one thing we both share in common is our power in regards to trade. I do believe it would be best for us to relax tariffs, as to increase trade. We shouldn’t regard each other as enemies in the world of trade, after all,” Arnold suggested. As a businessman, of course he was the one to discuss trade.
“Indeed you are correct there ambassador, and I have been authorized to go forth with the relaxation of tariffs on our part if indeed this is reciprocated,” Palmerston took a contemplative sip from his teacup, then continued, “It would be most advantageous for both of our nations for this cooperation to be undertaken. I assume that this will be applicable to all ports that the League maintains, correct?”

“Of course, without a doubt we would want this to work both ways. We are all civilized Europeans here, no need for any unequal treaties against one other,” Arnold joked, before taking a sip of tea.

“How would this affect our overseas possessions? Langsamland and our African colonies are open for trade, but we should ask what your plans are for your own colonies in our relationship,” Erwin asked. He was the most concerned of the colonial empire of the three, hailing from Bremen, the “home” of the Hanseatic colonial endeavors.

Palmerston leaned forward, his expression amiable, “Britain maintains that all territories of the nation are one and the same. Her ports would all be subject to the same relaxations that you would see in the home isles.”

“Understood. Our own colonies are directly administered from Europe, though that may change soon. However, we do know that your possessions on the Indian mainland are run by a company. How would that affect this?” Erwin asked.

“While I can guarantee that Ceylon, which is British territory, will follow our lead, I am afraid that I cannot speak completely freely on the rest of the Carnatic region. It is after all Company territory.”

“That is fair enough, we could perhaps discuss that with the company on a later day. Now, what will the British say in regards to some sort of alliance? Not a fully unconditional one, as to avoid one of us from getting into an undesirable situation. But rather, an official commitment to work together in regards to protecting our colonies and economic interests across the globe, while working to keep the North Sea safe and the South Atlantic clear of those participating in the Transatlantic slave trade. We could also work together in regards to military technology and tactics, if you so please,” Erwin added.

“Britain would respond favorably to a treaty of alliance with the League, with conditions of our own of course. While we will help our friends on the continent we cannot be too caught in the web of German affairs.”

The foreign secretary furrowed his brow in discomfort, “Pardon me ambassadors, but the times do require me to ask a rather awkward question.”

The German representatives looked a bit uncomfortable as well, an “awkward question” from the predominant naval power is always something to be concerned about.

“What would that be….?” Peter asked.

“As you all know, Germany, and much of Europe for that matter, is currently gripped in unrest and revolution. That chaos has lead to the balance being upset, and while I do hope that it is resolved peacefully, there are other elements that may seek to take advantage of this unrest.”

Palmerston met the gaze of each of the ambassadors before continuing, “Gentlemen, I must enquire, should a certain party prove to be… belligerent… would the Hanseatic League stand beside Britain if military confrontation was possible? In this case, the problematic party being the French.”

The three looked surprised at this question. It was something that the leaders of the Hanseatic League had seen coming, though they were surprised the British had brought it up. After loudly whispering for a few moments, they were not used to the act, they assembled their thoughts.

“The German people and the French are at odds, and have been so for a long time. Our worst fear is a second Napoleon, though we find it unlikely one will rise again, France could certainly strike the German Confederation. Even if they do not strike the German land first, to strike them before they strike us would be a good move. While you would need to discuss any war on the continent with our fellow Confederation members, you would have our backing a potential naval war against them,” Erwin said confidently, “that is, provided we get our fair share of the spoils of war. But, that is not something to worry about for now.”

Palmerston smiled with slight amusement, “I was not aware that the League was so keen on war good gentlemen. I would put your minds at ease though, Britain does not intend a preemptive strike on France at this time. Merely we seek to ensure that Britain’s friends are by her side should the worst come to pass. France has already shown a recent want for violence, shown by her adventures in Italy and the Levant, and it is the concern of the British government that this aggressive development in her nature will not abate. We cannot have, as you say, another Napoleon to ravage the continent.”

The foreign minister reclined back into his chair, clasping his hands together, “I would propose that we have a definitive defensive alliance at the least prepared for European affairs. This should certainly stifle France’s confidence at sea, hopefully on the mainland as well I might add.”

“French containment is certainly a good position to take in the world stage. We must remain vigilant and maintain our dominance at sea as to protect our trade interests and our homes. Now, what would you think of influencing areas of the world, especially in the New World, outside of French influence, before they can? Venezuela certainly seems friendly enough to us, and we could also benefit from ties to the newly independent states in the Americas,” Erwin continued. He was getting a bit excited, unlike his counterparts he had an interest in international diplomacy, and liked being part of important negotiations.

“I would say that we should exercise some caution in that venture, gentlemen. While the Americas have much to offer, we must take care not to antagonize the powers there. Fusang and the American Union come to mind. Any direct intervention could cause either of the two to drift towards France, which would compromise our ability to influence the area,” Palmerston paused before continuing, “I would recommend that we wait for the Venezuelans to approach us on their own. If their amiability is to be trusted, I imagine our own cooperation will entice them to the table as well.”

“Historically….we have not seen that as a problem in regards to some of our plans, but admittedly, you have more experience in the New World than we do. We shall consider this policy in the New World, then. If Venezuela approaches us, which we can only hope they do, they would be a valuable ally for making sure our territories there are not preyed upon,” Erwin noted. An idealist and a nationalist, reading of the “David and Goliath” scenarios of Hanseatic history will ignoring their many historic failures made Erwin overconfident in regards to foreign affairs.

“Yes, well we hopefully have enough assets at our disposals to ensure that we are capable of handling that issue on our own as well. Diplomatic capital however, I will grant, should not be overlooked. If Venezuela should seek affiliation and amiability with us, I see no reason why Britain or the League should shy her away”

“That would sound ideal. We’ll wait and see on affairs regarding the Americas, especially Venezuela, but for now, this sounds like it has been all wrapped up. Thank you for having us, Lord Palmerston. We’ll oversee a formalized version of our agreements in a treaty then be on our way,” Erwin said courteously.

“Feel free to linger in London if you wish gentlemen, I am sure the delights of Hamburg, Bremen and Lubeck might wait an extra day or so. In any case, I had promised lunch in my previous missive if I do recall. I have reservations set for us all at an absolutely delightful restaurant on the river. The view of the Thames is spectacular,” Palmerston rose from his seat and extended his hand to each of the ambassadors, “So, shall we?”

The trio lightly laughed.
“We could never say no to the beautiful city of London, the home cities can wait,” Peter responded with haste. His companions didn’t mind, so they let their more politically challenged associate speak for them. With that, they departed for their adventure in London.

Southern Africa

As tensions between Britain and France grew and revolutionary fervor began to spread in Germany, it seemed that many people had forgotten about the world beyond the European continent. The peninsula of peninsulas was the main focus on the many headlines in the newspapers, with strategists and military veterans discussing how an Anglo-French War might play out. Or with people discussing other issues of foreign policy, such as how the sick man of Europe may be put out of his misery soon. Though many nations in Europe had colonies abroad, they were often irrelevant afternotes, strips of territory that were neglected by their overlords. But, the Hanseatic League, much like the British, were pluricontinetalistic, and had an obsession with their small colonial empire and the influence of Western civilization.

Headlines in Hamburg, Lubeck, and Bremen plus many colonial cities spread the announcement that the Hanseatic Missionary Society, which had set up many small forts and churches across southern Africa, would be expanding its influence towards southwestern Africa, around Walvis Bay. The missionary society, currently headed by Adolf Schmitt, prides itself on spreading the Lutheran faith in southern Africa and introducing native Africans to German civilization. They have a decades long history in the region, especially in the Hanseatic colony of Walvis Bay, and have been supported by the government in the hopes that they could be used to influence the tribes surrounding the region.

The missionary society has begun organizing a group of missionaries and survivalists from across civilized southern Africa in order to search for people waiting to hear the lord’s word. Though the team will mostly consist of ethnic Germans from Walvis Bay, the society has asked around for skilled hands in the Cape Colony and Avisia to some success. With this, there will be several Avisians and native Africans with them on their journey. As of now, they’re in the small missionary outpost of Wupperthal, making preparations for their expedition.
A rowdy redneck from South Carolina who tries to RP every now and again.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

Zhukovian
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhukovian » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:08 am

“Stop talking about how you will build an empire, and start building it right at this very moment. Time never waits for anyone to feel perfectly ready.”
Edmond Mbiaka

Capitale de Bon Belier

The first phase of his lifetime agenda has been accomplished, the formation of the Kingdom by the fall of the Republic. The now, King Artois sat at the head of the long table, observing as his Ministers and Generals argue for the next plan for Argentine, whether or not to start the conquest of Chile by the end of the year. The top brass of the Royal Military has pushed for the action while the continent is still shocked by the sudden fall of Antarctique, however, the Ministers has argued for the further integration of the new territory and proper preparatory actions before waging another war to prevent unwanted internal incursions especially from the former Antarctique region.

General Philippe Baumé finally banged the table silencing everyone's bickering, sitting straight to look around before opening his mouth, "Gentlemen..." then landed his eyes upon the King, "Your Majesty, the fall of Antarctique may have been seen as a small feat by Europe, but it is evident that the whole Amérique du Sud has been shaken, most especially the Brésiliens of the North. I believe it's time prepare for the full invasion of Paraguay or even Chile! They are yet to react to the sudden news, and we must use this short amount of time to strike once again!".

Minister Henri Frère, the Minister for Interior glared at the bull of a man, "Even if they have been stunned, the time to transport equipment and men in these territories would be long and by then, they have already amassed a large number of men at their borders while our men are still exhausted after fighting from the other side of the country. Even if we have the numbers on our side, our men would be too weak to fight against the well-armed and fed enemy." Pausing for a moment to drink a glass of water he continued, "What we must do first is to rebuild Antarctique and utilize it's coast to broaden our trade ports and attract more immigrants. By then, next year we would have a larger military and a more stable economy to battle both Chile and Paraguay."

Heads nodded to his rebuttal but still, the General did not easily falter and tried replying but he was cut short by the very sigh of the King, who all this time has only been listening to the statement of everyone.

"Minister Frère has some idea there, it's better to prepare ourselves before we go full Napoleon de Amérique du Sud. We must first warm the forge before we starting melting another piece of iron to be part of our sword. I say we first integrate Antarctique, attract more immigrants, build infrastructure and the economy before we go on the rampage." he glanced around the men present in the room with eyes of an eagle, authoritative.

He would then lay his sight onto his Commissioner for Immigration, "In the past months the immigration rate is still low, what we need now is more people for the workforce and carry us through victory. I want you to send propaganda messages throughout the world especially from Yue and France. Highlight the large plot of land as the main incentive to attract people, there are endless opportunities that are waiting to be unveiled here in Argentine."

"Well...Your Majesty, to support the influx of people coming into our country, we need to have ports capable of receiving the high number of immigrants not to mention their cargo. Also, another attracting factor is having a good infrastructural backbone such as the railway system that we are currently doing and better-connected roads. I, therefore, suggest to construct or improve some ports to accommodate them properly as it may affect the image of the country." Minister Ballesdens of the Government Works slyly suggested.

"You mean, to boost the allocated funds for the ports. The massive infrastructure projects have already included that, but we cannot hinder our works for the railway as it is vital for the transportation of provisions during the time of war. Given the circumstances, a fund boost is still necessary." said Alphonse Nee, Minister for Finance who shot a glare at the former talker and quickly averted his eyes to the King with knowing aura.

After discussing other important issues affecting the Realm and beyond, the King adjourned the meeting sending his Privy Council members and Military top brass to execute his commands.

Capitale Chilienne de Santiago

Hidden in one of the maze-like streets of Santiago, is a bar locally known as "L'arrivée" (The Coming). In such a place masked a facade of abandonment which discouraged high members of society in coming in, is the meeting place of a growing number of insurgents funded by the Argentinian crown, calling themselves as the "Fraternité de Coopération" advocating for the peaceful reunification with Argentina. So far they have 3 members of the Aristocracy and the Senate, as a growing membership of 500 men and women. Lead by Hugo Levasseur, a charismatic young man, and an Argentinian operative, using his persuasive techniques and the money from the funds he has done the Kingdom a run for its money. Due to his success, Bon Belier has sent a reinforcement of 1,500 more operatives and another load of money and equipment for a possible revolution.

As the leaders of the insurgency started filling the room and making small chats, Hugo entered the room immediately silencing the voice, still standing he smiled to everyone then said, "The Palace was impressed by the development here, and have sent 1,500 reinforcements with money and equipment to ready ourselves. The war would be started next year, and by that time we must be ready and make a path for the invading force."

"I thought, we are to be united peacefully? I mean if I could just have the resources to convince my colleagues..." William Gavreau, a member of the Senate asked.

"I'm afraid that would be highly unlikely, as the Grand Duke is not the person to be questioned, and his pride will be shaken when the Senate push for reunification, and might just lead for its dissolution." Baron Geoffroy Vasseur interjected, the only aristocrat to be recruited, largely due to the promise of being elevated to a Duke when Chile is finally reunited.

A man at the far end of the table gulped his beer and asked, "Hugo, with the new resource from the capital, what shall be our next move?" Slowly putting back the cup and all eyes stare back to Hugo.

He deflected them by his smile and said, "Well, I am leaving Senator Gavreau in-charge is recruiting a few more members of the government and Caron Vasseur in the nobility maybe have some deep pockets. While we shall be focusing on recruiting more members in the countryside, especially in the regions of Magallanes, Santiago, and Maule. We have a year to prepare and another reinforcement will be sent 6 months from now, and it is expected for our numbers to at least triple by that time."

"If we are to be successful, the crown will pay us big, maybe granting us some land. But let us remember, that we are doing this for our brothers and sisters here in Chile, who are the only French speakers to be not reunited to the Rio de la Plata. Together, we fight for the reunification of the French Cone! Vive le Argentine! Vive le Roi!" matching the last words with a fist pump to the air, while the people mirrored him, they say it multiple times, "Vive le Argentine! Vive le Roi!"
National Information
Leader - Grand Premier Jean-Baptiste Baillairgé
Capital - Zhukovia
Population - 10.7 billion
Currency - Mark
Roleplay Information
2024: AGE OF SUPERPOWERS - Republic of the Philippines
STATE OF ZHUKOVIAN
Ambassador of the New Western Empire
Est. 1089
Post Modern

Previous