NATION

PASSWORD

Young Bloods(IC, Reboot Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:17 am

Renata Martinez, the heroic Spectrum!

August 3rd

Renata? Are you there?

Dad, it's 11 PM...

I'm sorry I couldn't reach out earlier.

It's been a hectic month to me.

How have you been?

Well, you can see the news here, right?

That's the reason why I'm asking.

I'm doing fine.

Got hurt a few times, but our team has a healer

So it was nothing permanent.

That's good to hear.

Your team has gotten into a lot of trouble lately, as far as I can tell.

I obviously can't say any of this for sure

But they've been acting so reckless that I feel like only you could be coming up with their plans.

Is this supposed to be a joke or an accusation?

No, I don't lead anything.

I know that standing up to a police which seems to slight you is an appealing fantasy

But this isn't something teenagers should be doing.

We didn't have a choice there!

They imprisoned our teammate and they weren't going to let her out!

And your answer is to turn your city to a warzone?

The footage of your assault feels more like a military raid than an extraction mission.

And it worked, didn't it?

Warwolf's contract with the city was terminated, they either leave or are kicked out.

That looks more like a spark of luck than a plan your team set in motion.

Your team could have easily joined that prisoner in jail, or gotten killed outright.

You don't have to worry about that.

I'd rather not take the risk.

I want you to fly home tomorrow with the first plane.

If you think you're not safe outside of your island, I can procure security as well.

You of all people should not be risking it against Warwolf, Renata.

The media hasn't made the connection yet, but someone like you, clashing with an organization affiliated with the US government, is a threat to national security.

...Renata?

What?!

No!!

It won't be permanent.

Just for a week or two, until this Warwolf crisis blows over.

No, I can't just abandon the team right now!

We need each other, and we're so close to putting an end to this for once.

And I have plans for the following days myself, too!

This is serious, Renata.

Can we

At least wait a few days, maybe?!

What are you planning?

This team is planning.

And I need to be around for it.

I'll be able to come back in a few days time, okay?!

Renata, that's not nearly enough assurances for me.

I'm concerned for your safety, both as a father and as a leader.

I can't hear youuu

And I need to go to sleep

Ciao!

Renata!

Damn it, Renata.

Tomia wrote:Wonder Island, Morning of August 4th

August 4th

Sitting all by herself by one of the tables in the largely open and empty cafeteria, save for a few faces here and there, Renata swirled her spoon across her bowl of cereal with an uninterested look on her face. Usually, the pink-haired girl would gobble up her breakfast in a flash so she could quickly move on with her day, but now, she could hardly even summon the enthusiasm to eat. All the thoughts popping and echoing in her mind continued to chain her down - and alongside all the other baggage she was carrying and kept worrying about, she had to put her father to the mix as well.

She just told him off last night and ignored all of his demands, right? And when he was clearly concerned for her safety, she requested a gap of a few days before leaving, knowing and not telling him that this gap also includes the planned final attack on Warwolf alongside many of the other heroes from the Western Seaboard. Something which he clearly wasn't going to approve of as soon as he finds out.

When did she turn so hostile towards her own father? Sure, the two of them had their share of problems in the past, but as much as Renata saw her position as Silver's saughter as restraining, a chain around her neck which forces her to fulfill a certain role, distance herself from people she might want to be friends with, and live in her father's shadow instead of coming to her own... she never had the urge to rebel against him outright.

Renata finally fought through her thoughts and put a spoon of cereal into her mouth - just in time to hear someone address her. And that someone was Roy, carrying a bagel and a few pieces of bacon with him and sitting down next to her. The heroine's eyes locked towards her peer and she pulled out the spoon from her mouth, taking a sigh and speaking:

"Well, I'm still here and I'm still alive, so I suppose I could be worse."

Confederation of the Equator wrote:
Isaac Fernán
August 9th, San Diego Militia Rally, Convention Center

The Mad Lass, Sina As'tari!

August 9th

Sina raised her eyebrow as soon as Isaac responded to her comments about Catarina. Truth be told, the Dra'Quinni vigilante didn't have much of a positive opinion on her, either - after all, the very first time she even came into contact with the Outriders was when she teamed up with Nick to hunt down a mysterious cannibal ravaging the streets. And then Nick promptly recruited them both, which was... kinda weird of him when he was trying to pump Catarina with lead mere seconds ago... But hey, he seems like a smart guy, so maybe this was a part of a some sort of master plan.

When Isaac offered Sina to teach Catarina on a proper diet, the vigilante pressed her finger on her chin, lost in thought for a second. "Hey, that honestly seems like a great idea. Pap's taught me everything he knows on hunting, so I suppose it's only fair if I get to pass that knowledge down to someone too, ain't it?"

Sina leaned back on the wall and snickered. "There's mountains and wildlife not too far off from this city, as soon as I get out of this straightjacket, I can take Cata out there to teach her some stuff. She doesn't have fire breath, so cooking meat is gonna be more problematic, but I'm sure we'll take care of that..."
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Bentus wrote:Yoshiro/Scarab

The Scarab Crisis, August 2

Outside Casimir kept a collected and determined expression as he stared at the thing possessing his friend. In the inside it was taking his nerves of steel to not lash out but there was no point to doing so. He had no way of knowing if attacking would bring back Yoshi and if anything it would make the situation worse. Who knows how that monster was keeping Yoshi as hostage in their mind. One possibility he didn’t want to think of was that the thing was lying about keeping Yoshi safe and instead...that..Yoshi was gone. The fuck was I going to do next?, thought Casimir blankly as he kept drawing blanks in his mind for ideas. This wasn’t an enemy he could beat to a pulp or hospitalize with insect venom or string up with webbing. The possessor had her attention diverted to Red now and Casimir couldn’t do anything but give his teammate a debilitated look of “what the hell do we do now?’

Up until that point, Red had felt a sense of relief and confidence beginning to spread with him, albeit with nervous tension. Yosh- No, whatever that thing was, had just been discovered. With that finally out of the way, they could finally move on. There would be no need for him to follow the mysterious note left to him.

Or at least that’s what he first thought.

But as an unnerving grin began to spread across Yoshiro’s face, all of those feelings of triumph were immediately dashed from him. Why is she smiling? Doesn’t she realize what this means? That the team won’t accept her, that we’ll do everything within our power to… It was then he realized just what her words meant. Even if they knew her secret, there was nothing they could do right now. While he didn’t know the extent of whatever it was possessing Yoshiro, the idea that at any time it could harm the real Yoshiro in any way it wanted sent chills down his spine. He looked over to Casimir, doing everything in his power to not give away what panic he felt at the time.

“We...we....” His voice trailed off, his mind going blank as he couldn’t think of anything he could try to say.

As Red’s voice trailed off and his concerned expression gradually morphed into one of horrified realisation, the Scarab found herself relishing every moment of the exchange. Casimir was silent, his eyes locked on Red as he too found himself trapped by the impossible situation. Even if her secret was out, it didn’t change anything. She held all the cards, and as long as she did, none of them would even dare to stand against her. Striding confidently up towards the young hero, Yoshiro calmly stood within an arm’s length of Red just to accentuate how powerless he was despite the proximity.

“Uh oh, reality sinking in a little bit?” She met Red’s gaze, paying the anger in his eyes no mind. “How about I finish that thought for you, before all this thinking makes those ape-ish brains of yours explode. I rather enjoyed today - I can see how you can get hooked on this whole hero-ing fad. So I think I’m going to stick around for a little bit longer as part of the team. I’m going to go out on missions, and also be allowed to come and go as I please. You’re going to agree to this and make it happen, because if you don’t you’ll lose even the tiniest chance you have of seeing Yoshi again without her mind having been turned to mush.” The Asian girl allowed her words to hang in the air, her explicit threat punctuated by a cocky smirk. Oh, why didn’t I do this before? This is so much more fun that pretending to be that self-conscious idiot. She turned around to scan the trio of heroes in the room. “I’m going to assume that all you boys will be fine with that, right?”

“Are you… this stupid?..”

I apologize for that sentence, Pan Bóg.

Jan stepped out from the team, walking forward and pushing past both Red and Casimir. A lingering feeling of pain continued to radiate across his body, but even all of it added together and multiplied by ten couldn’t defeat his willpower at this point. If he’s going to be here and he’s going to try to save this girl, then he’ll see it through to the finish.

“That’s not how any of this is going to work.” Jan muttered through clenched teeth and sporadic heavy breaths. It took a lot of pain and pressure, but a feeling of long built up frustration was finally starting to leak out. “I didn’t claw through a life you couldn’t possibly imagine and swear to make sure that nobody else suffers what I did, only to get told by a demon like you that all of it’s for nothing and that I’m not allowed to save someone for something this… arbitrary!”

Jan’s hand clenched onto his wrist, the Polish vigilante’s eyes dead locked towards the possessed girl. “Even if the only way out is an act of God, I’m willing to risk with those odds. This, ends, here.”

“No, it doesn’t,” Red said in a tone of voice that portrayed some sense of calmness but held a bubbling anger underneath. “And if you try anything, well, we’ll see which is faster: Your mind powers, or my throwing arm,” he warned the new recruit, his eyes narrowing as his fists clenched up. Casting his gaze over to Yoshiro, he stared right into her eyes, whatever confidence left within him being shown. “Go. Now.”

“Dammit, Red, we don’t know if he can help us!” barked Casimir at the mostly naked ginger teammate, “There’s gotta be something the three of us can do right here right now!.”

“I appreciate the effort Casimir, but this will likely require a more…. professional response.” Naja said, entering the hallway and approaching the group. She was appraising Yoshi/Scarab with a cold gaze. “I know you think you’ve been cleverly hiding under our noses, but whatever it is you think you have planned isn’t going to work. Because regardless of who you are or think you are, you’re trapped here with us, not the other way around.”

Yoshiro, hang on. We’ll help you. Voice’s comments echoed in the minds of all those present, even though her lips didn’t move as she stood silently beside Naja. The woman’s features were dark as her eyes stared unblinkingly at the Scarab, her expression betraying the seriousness of the situation.

Having turned at Naja’s entrance, the Scarab didn’t seem to react to the heroine’s arrival. At this point, there was no use in trying to mask her presence, and the reptile would have found out eventually. Cracking a bemused smile, the Asian girl calmly folded her arms over her chest as she assessed the two adults who had arrived on the scene.

“You can keep telling yourself that all you want, what you believe doesn’t change anything for me.” The girl said, brushing aside Naja’s concern with a casual wave of her hand before she glanced towards Voice. And there’s no use trying to contact the girl like that. She can’t hear you. And if you try to force your way into my mind, you know that I’ll kill her before you even got close to where she’s buried. Suddenly, the Scarab clapped Yoshiro’s hands together - the sound echoing in the hallway. “So! With all those pesky introductions out of the way, I’m famished. I heard that lunch would be waiting for us after the mission, and I can’t wait to get dug in.”

Famished?” Jan exclaimed, clenching his fist and forming a psionic construct rapier in his hand. How is she… thinking she can get away from this? How is… everyone just going along with what she is saying? If these are supposed to be heroes, then why are they letting this demon just do what it wants, instead of stopping it before it, say, murders through the entire team? “I was clear before and I’m just as clear now. I can’t let something this sinister just walk among people with no consequence! And-”

Jan stopped mid-sentence as he felt a hand grab his wrist, holding him back just as he was about to stride towards the leering beast in their midst. Surprised at the firm grasp, he turned to scold whatever fool was trying to stop him when he was instead met by a pair of cold, uncompromising eyes.

“Don’t.” Red’s voice left no room for negotiation as he held onto the telepath’s sword arm. He had moved to intervene as soon as he saw the menacing blade begin to form in the stranger’s hand, knowing that he had to act. “If you attack her, you could hurt Yoshi. Try anything, and I’ll have to put you down. Understand?” Red paused, before lowering his voice so that only Jan and he could hear. “I have things under control. Just bear with it. You're not the only one who's upset here.”

Having reacted to Jan’s outburst with an irritated expression, the Scarab met the Pole’s eyes with a smug expression as Red intervened. She offered the pair of heroes a playful wink. “At-a-boy. Things are only just getting started.”
Last edited by Bentus on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Vanquaria
Senator

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vanquaria » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Officer Colson!
Downtown, San Diego
12 August

It was a solemn affair, the conversation was. Bu stayed silent, letting Jill's words flow into his ears and not letting them go out the other side. Initially, it sounded to him she was just going to remind him of the reality he had been living in since he was a child. Cops can and do fall short of their duties sometimes. And when they did fall short, it created anger, it created a need for vengeance.

He knew that better than anyone. Justice? He'd seen it. He'd done it. But it was not a friend. Not yet.

Jill was clearly feeling guilt about the fact that the police force has failed people in the past before. She was bearing the burden of others. And Bu didn't say anything about it. What was there to say? To say not all cops are like that? That argument could even be applied to criminals. There were criminals who never hurt anyone and stuck by moral principles. Did that mean that they were less of a criminal than a murderer? In Bu's opinion, it was a definite no.

If a police officer fails in his or her duty, its representative of the entire system. This was Bu's belief and he knew that was the correct belief. Where he came from, the police were a joke.

Superheroes were a joke.

But he didn't shut her words out. He still let them flow. And the dots were slowly but surely connected. He put the world in her perspective, viewed everything that had ever happened to him in her perspective. He finally saw the cycle. The cycle of hate, rage, and vengeance. Suffocating those caught within it like a raging vortex.

He understood her then. Yet, the need for closure still existed like an itch that can never be satisfied.

Bu put those thoughts behind him as he walked with Jill to her car. It had initially been uncomfortable, revealing himself like that. But it was something he needed to have done and he was pleased that he had done so.

"The back seat?" Bu replied, not understanding what she meant. That was the case until he looked at the back seats of her car and saw the metal that separated them from the front seats.

"Ah! The back seat!" He exclaimed happily.
Last edited by Vanquaria on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanq commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Hitler of NS.

"I took away Vanq's YB for deliberatly ignoring me"
"I know Vanq is a very good writer and this is how he treats someone of lesser skill?"
"I would love to have a writer of your caliber along for the ride"
"neo and vanq do a dbz fusion to form 1 big shitposter then get erased from NS by kyrusia"
"Which is the level of memeing I expect from Vanq"
"brigadier general comes on, pulls a vanq and calls us all autistic"

Aidannadia
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aidannadia » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:04 am

Finland SSR wrote: [...] "Town Luna" [...] "Who are you most excited to meet, Tadeo? I wanna say hi to teh Stars, they're some of the coolest heroes around!"

Tad looked noticeably taken aback at the mention of Town Luna, but he general aloof attitude took back over quickly. He walked on calmly, Mizu running circles around him like a satellite, orbiting round and round.

"Oh," He said looking down nervously and scratching the back of his head, "I don't actually know any of them. I wasn't a big fan of superheroes growing up."

"I never really watched the news, and there are so few real 'heroes' where I always lived." He looked at his hands, the purple gloves firmly grasping his palms. "I didn't even set out to become a hero. I was just a boy, travelling town to town, doing odd jobs and helping out where I could."

"But I am a fan of Stars. They are beautiful. You can't see them very well from here but.... Well, you already know how they look from the Moon's surface. I guess I dont-" The words casually spilled out from his mouth, without second thought. As he began to realize what he was letting slip, the pauses between words extended awkwardly as if he was trying to hit the breaks on a train trying not to crash against the end of the tracks. "have- to- remind- you."
Last edited by Aidannadia on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hey, my name is Aidan and I am still figuring out who I really am. Most of my views are some form of leftism someone could probably tell me is not leftism. I'm a guy.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:25 am

Bentus wrote:
The Scarab Crisis, August 2

Jan Sorok, the Hero of Poland!

August 1st-2nd

That's it, it was over. Despite his determination to put an end to this travesty here and now for good, despite everything that he did to reach out for help and see it arrive, it was all for nothing. The Scarab just laughed them all off, none of them dared to make a move, and, in the end, the possessed Asian girl departed. The only thing which they had to go for here was Red's cryptic comment about having everything under control, as hard as it was to believe. Jan continued staring towards the departing Scarab with a frustrated scowl until the very end, at which point he pushed Red's hand off his arm with a sudden telekinetic push and stormed off.

Thankfully, not towards the possessed Asian girl, which would have been an instant death sentence at this point, but to the other side, following the same path with which he had arrived towards the exit of the tower. Though the tower's layout was unfamiliar, it was not so complicated that Jan would have gotten lost in all the corridors, and soon enough, the Polish vigilante stepped out through the front door of the tower, standing there and looking to the pitch black and starry night sky.

It's odd, isn't it? After all he's gone through a lot of struggles in the past four years, after his newfound resolve to do something good with the powers he had been gifted with and failed to save his parents with when he should have... he's put to a stop by simply not being strong enough. Not because of lacking in resolve, not because of lacking allies or friends and trying to grit through life all on his own... no, he didn't lack either of that, he simply couldn't save someone because life, for whatever reason, decided to throw an insurmountable obstacle in his way.

Jan took a deep breath.

What are you kidding? There is no such thing as insurmountable.

Now, where was he... Did he have anything else to do on this island?

Aidannadia wrote:Tadeo

Mizuma Ishiwara, the Lunarian Illusionist!

August 4th

Aw, that's unfortunate. Tadeo wasn't really a fan of superheroes when growing up, he didn't even know all that much about those before arriving to San Diego, apparently. He didn't even come here to become a hero on his own right... huh. Since the two of them were going to be teammates, it was going to be up to Mizu to teach this poor boy everything she knews about the superhero fanbase. Because, my goodness, there is a lot he will need to keep up with there!

Instead, Tadeo was a fan of stars, and explained himself with a mumbling talk that he can't see stars all that well from here, but he, apparently, doesn't need to remind Mizu what they look like on the Moon. The purple-haired girl tilted her head in confusion, not sure what Tadeo was trying to vocalize, before responding:

"I actually can't see the stars on Town Luna all that well either. The lights are on all the time, and we're not allowed to go outside, obviously... At least, on Earth, you can leave the city to go stargazing in a meadow somewhere."

Which would be really really romantic! Mizu continued strolling forward through the corridor, speaking:

"So, if you like stars, maybe you wanna go meet the Stars, then? They even got a member called Star Queen! Although, I suppose our team has a member calling themselves a star, too... kinda..."
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:34 pm

August 2nd

Finland SSR wrote:---
Confederation of the Equator wrote:---

Kiris relaxed as the blond boy assured her and Mizu that he was just fine, and that he had only been a little surprised by the girl's sudden appearance, something she could relate to - after all, someone you didn't recognize showing up next to you usually meant bad news! Still, if he said he was fine and was indeed fine enough to smile, then it was not an issue. The boy cautioned Mizu not to do that to often unless she wanted to actually end up scaring someone in the future, and the Hadrian nodded along. It was good advice.

The conversation soon moved on from that to the girl who'd tossed her phone out the window. Aleksey turned to her in search for answers, and she happily obliged. "Oh, that? That was Renata, she wasn't here when we made the team but she's been here for a while and she's really helpful!" The alien girl spoke enthusiastically, always happy to praise her teammates. However, her smile quickly faded as she considered the reason they were asking about her.

"Um, to be honest, I'm not sure what's gotten into her today... Usually she's really sweet - I mean, I've heard she's gotten into a few arguments with some of the others, but she's never been like that to me..." Kiris admitted, a little puzzled as to Renata's violent behavior that morning. "She was pretty rude to you too, wasn't she? I'm sorry about that, that's not what this team's supposed to be about..." She told Mizu.

Absolon-7 wrote:---

Hearing Viviana's enthusiastic response, Alexis smiled at the brunette. "That's great, Viv! But that wasn't-" She paused when she heard the ringing, and watched with dismay as the rubber girl walked out of the kitchen to take the call. "...What I was... talking about..." The blonde finished, before letting out a sigh. Well, it's not like it matters. I'll just bring it up next time we talk.

The tech wizard turned towards Casimir, letting out a snicker at his reaction to his sister's call. Wonder what it's like to have a sister? Or a sibling at all. She mused before letting out a mental shrug. Eh, if it's as bad as this guy makes it out to be, I'm glad I'm missing out on it.

Alexis listened to the bug hero as he explained the reason for his weary look - something had kept him up all night. Glancing over at the door through which Viviana had just left the room and then back to Casimir, the blonde girl couldn't hide the very surprised, very amused look on her face. "Oh, wow, crap. Didn't mean to pry there, Casi-boy, my bad." She said with an awkward laugh. What's up with him though, just saying that out of the blue?

"But, seriously, all the way 'till five in the morning? Sheesh, I didn't know you had that much stamina. I'm impressed."
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

Confederation of the Equator
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederation of the Equator » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:14 pm

[minecraft villager sound]
Last edited by Confederation of the Equator on Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
where the fuck is my ground support

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:05 am

The Great Floyd Tolson!
Lisette Aveline, the nefarious Marionette!

August 3rd

Right swipe. Left swipe. Duck. The superhuman gangster before him was turning more and more predictable as the battle went on. That did not make the brawl in this alleyway any less exciting to Floyd, however - the seven foot tall African American was both fast and strong enough to be a real test to his senses, even if his experience was less than satisfactory.

Swiping to grab the lid of a nearby trash can, Floyd deflected a descending blow to the side and promptly moved forward to grab the gangster by his upper arm and pull him over his shoulder - seconds later, he released a loud grunt upon slamming to the wet floor on his back. It wasn’t even difficult to extract the brawls he wanted from the locals - for example, Floyd borrowed a bunch of money from this guy a week or two ago and purposefully didn’t give the money back once the two of them “accidentally” crossed paths again earlier today, even flipping the bird to incite him into lashing out.

Hey, in the San Diego criminal community, this was an acceptable way to extract debts. Little did the gangster knew that he had just lent a significant portion to his savings to none other than the great Floyd Tolson himself.

After standing up, the behemoth tossed his massive right fist straight into Floyd’s center of mass, which the swordsman responded with by raising his makeshift shield and promptly getting blown back several meters by the brute force of the blow. Stopping with a foot slide, Floyd responded by tossing the trash can lid straight at the incoming gangster, it impacting him in the shoulder and forcing him to stumble in his charge - the swordsman took advantage of the blow immediately, stepping forward, sliding in between the gangster’s arms and smashing across his nose with a right hook, instantly drawing blood.

Then grab both of the man’s arms by the elbows to prevent a grapple when he was still so close. Then leap up and smash your knee straight into his solar plexus while he still hasn’t recovered from the nose blow. Then push the man straight into a nearby dumpster, the force of the blow cracking and bending the metal. Then just-

-Bloody hell!

Right when Floyd was about to pull out his weapon and finish off the job, the phone in his pocket suddenly rang out with a loud notification, forcing the swordsman to stop in his tracks. Who the hell would message me at this time of the day? Who the hell would message me anyway?
“Just… just take the fucking money, man...” the gangster muttered, wiping his nose and pulling himself out of the dumpster, promptly running off. Floyd, who was too busy checking his phone, merely muttered in response:

“Learn to not lend to untrustworthy people next time, wanker. The banks got that lesson drilled in ten years ago.”

The message was from none other than Marionette. The two of them had exchanged their phone numbers previously, in preparation for the attack on Hilton Tower together, and apparently she still had his number stored. So did he, to be fair - but that’s because he rarely, if ever, sweeps through his phone’s address book. It still had a few of his former schoolmates’ numbers from ten years ago, for example.

And Marionette wanted the two of them to meet in an abandoned yard a few kilometers away from here, in the timespan of an hour.

What in God’s buttocks do you want from me now, woman?

Pacing up and down the empty yard, Marionette’s eyes were fixed into a scowl as she stared at the ground at her feet. The decrepit warehouse had steadily decayed over the passage of time, with the vines and weeds of nature slowly pushing their way through cracks in the paved yard. The young girl couldn’t help but feel exasperated, a part of her already having regretted her decision to call Floyd as she glanced at the watch on her wrist.

He’s late. Marionette felt a tide of frustration rising in her chest. She was as irritated with herself as Floyd, feeling like an idiot for even reaching out to the swordsman in the first place. The self-centered narcissist was probably relishing the thought of ignoring her call. Typical. I shouldn’t have trusted him further than I can throw him.

And what did Marionette really hope to achieve from all this? The question nagged at the back of her mind, twisting its way in there like an unwelcome worm. Since Weatherman had taken her under his wing, Marionette had known that she would need to step up her game. Being a villain was a fun past time, but now she had her chance to really make it to the big leagues. She was so close to being able to meet her heroes, to actually fight them toe-to-toe and to show them that some people still cared enough to do villainy properly. But in the heat of the moment, when it mattered most, Marionette felt like she was out of her depth. She’d lost to the Young Bloods because she hadn’t been strong enough. It hadn’t been a surprise of course, and she’d been so excited that Kiris had been the one to actually defeat her, but she couldn’t lose all the time and be a real villain. Which meant that now she had to learn how to win and how to fight, which irritatingly led her to reach out to the first person she could think of.

Marionette’s thoughts wavered slightly. Ok, the second person that she had thought of. But she wasn’t going to talk to him. Especially not after the previous night.

Meanwhile, inside the decaying warehouse, outside one of the windows on the second floor, a different chain of thoughts was flowing. The integral structure of the pile of barrels in the corner seems weak. The bottom left corner of this warehouse has grown worn down, too, a few well-placed strikes could tear the whole thing down if you attract her inside. And, on the off-chance that things turn to the shitter, there are three available exits without significant obstacles there, there, and there.

Floyd was expecting this to be a some sort of ambush, or a trick. He and Marionette were on as bad of terms as they could possibly be after all which had happened between them. As such, planning out for a brawl beforehand was a good idea in his mind - as time passed, however, it was growing increasingly unlikely that Marionette was planning something nefarious. There seemed to be no sign of anyone else besides the two of them in the entire yard, and while he wouldn’t put it past the blonde girl to overestimate herself in such a way that she would believe she could take on Floyd all by herself, she… didn’t seem to be preparing for any sort of a fight?

Hell, if anything, he probably has more of a chance of capping her in an ambush before she does. He could probably make the distance between this warehouse and the Barbie doll faster than she could reach and punch him away, could he? So…

The swordsman suddenly pulled out his sword and tossed it straight through the window, the blade of the weapon piercing the ground a few footsteps away from Marionette, serving as a wake-up call. Floyd himself sat down, his legs dangling out of the window hole, and exclaimed:

“If you brought me here to try to kill me, then do your best - I’d like to even give you my sword for the attempt.”

Marionette had just about had enough waiting for Floyd, when the man’s sword embedded itself a few feet from where she was standing. Initially blinking in surprise, the girl watched the weapon’s hilt rock back and forth for a few moments before she turned towards the cocky villain with her hands firmly on her hips.

“Oh yeah, because giving you a warning with the time and place of an ambush would be the easiest way to kill you.” Marionette rolled her eyes, seemingly less concerned with having been caught off guard than having been left waiting. “And what took you anyway? I’ve been waiting for half an hour, and this place is a total dump!”

Floyd’s response was short and laconic. “Doing a dump myself. Mostly.” Actually, he had spent most of that time watching her through the window and planning out for a brawl, but that would sound too much like stalking, right?

Stepping over towards the man’s sword, the girl effortlessly pulled it out from the ground before she hurled it towards where Floyd was sitting on the window. She threw it tip first, not that she didn’t expect the swordsman to catch it without batting an eye. It’s just that she wouldn’t particularly mind if he slipped up this one time and ended up skewered and out of her life. Crossing her arms, Marionette muttered defensively. “Plus, I wouldn’t need some fancy toothpick if I wanted to kill you.”

“Don’t shit on toothpicks, lass, I could actually kill you with one.” Floyd muttered while the sword was heading his way, casually raising his left hand in preparation for catching it. And then…

Slash.

The worst, or maybe best, possible outcome seemingly took place. Floyd suddenly froze, his eyes gaping widely, before the swordsman suddenly fell out from the window hole he had been sitting in, unceremoniously falling to the ground beneath with a faint thud.

Marionette was frozen for a few seconds, her eyes wide with surprise as her mind tried to process what had happened. After the thump of Floyd’s body striking the ground, an oppressive silence once again fell upon the warehouse. The girl’s gaze cautiously drifted down from the windowsill until her eyes fell upon the motionless form of the swordsman lying crumpled and unmoving on the ground. Suddenly, a faint, pained groan emanated out from between Floyd’s lips. Immediately, Marionette felt like the floor had fallen out from beneath her stomach as a wave of vertigo washed over her. “F-Floyd? Are you okay?”

Her voice broke the silence, but no barbed or witty response seemed forthcoming. All of a sudden, Marionette rushed forward as a feeling of desperation surged into her thoughts. Her mind was a whirl, struggling to replay the scene to figure out what had gone wrong. She didn’t think that she would actually kill him! She couldn’t allow that narcissist to go and die now, not when she actually needed to ask him for help. Sliding to the swordsman’s side, a look of genuine concern was etched into Marionette’s features as she scanned his body for the entry wound.

“Come on, you’re tougher than this. Just say something ok, and I’ll get you to a hospital, or….or, hey - ” Marionette suddenly froze. The pained, fading groan of Floyd’s life slipping away had morphed into a deep chuckle as she had desperately tried to figure out how to keep him alive. Slowly, realisation began to dawn on the villainess as her expression darkened. “...are you laughing?”

“Is this the worst time to mention what your face looks like or what?..”

Floyd couldn’t hold it back any longer, his entire form shaking as a hearty laugh escaped from his lungs. Jesus, he couldn’t believe how gullible this barbie was! Really, she thought that he would have been stupid fuck up that badly?

Marionette’s mouth had formed into a perfect ‘o’ at this point, and the girl took a step away from the cackling villain as he wiped a tear away from an eye. She could feel a flush of colour beginning to tint her cheeks as competing desires to berate or dice the man lying before her battled in her chest. “Th - that’s not funny! I thought you were dying or something, you asshole!” Marionette regretted her words at once, wincing as they made her seem childishly defensive.

Floyd’s laughter finally started dying away as he leapt back up on his two feet without the slightest problem, revealing that the sword which had supposedly been embedded into his chest was actually just tucked underneath his shoulder. He’d needed to have gotten extremely careless on purpose if he wanted to even get hit by his own sword, much less get taken out in a single strike. And as funny as it would have been to have his life ended by Marionette in what was basically an accident… he’d much rather save that one way ticket to hell for an another day.

“And you said you wouldn’t need a fancy toothpick if you wanted to kill me.” Floyd verbally poked, a cocky smirk etched onto his features. Casually sheathing his weapon and placing his hands into the pockets of his jeans, he finally offered the flustered girl an appraising gaze. “So, whatcha want from me, then?”

Stunned as Floyd seemed to immediately lose interest in his own practical joke, and nearly as insulted that she didn’t get a chance to tell him exactly how immature he was as anything else, Marionette bit her lip. Keep it together, just count to three and then start talking to him. You’re doing this to be a better villain, remember? It’s all worth it. Groaning inwardly, the girl forced herself to take a deep breath. Oh my god, I really want to kill him.

“I...wanted to ask you for help.” The words sounded like they had been thrust unwillingly through gritted teeth, and if Marionette’s expression was anything to go off of, they were just as painful to say as it sounded. “Now that I’m working with Weatherman, I realised that I need to work twice as hard to improve. I’ve never really had training with how to fight properly, or in close quarters, and seeing as you - you know - seem to be at least half-decent at that kind of thing, I was thinking that you could show me a few exercises or something.”

“Really now?” Floyd replied immediately, raising his eyebrow at the unexpected request. Sure, it did feel like something Marionette had to really push out of her by force, but he couldn’t have considered those words to come out of her mouth and towards him. Even when the two of them stormed Hilton Tower together, the annoying girl never worded it as ‘help’. Much to no surprise, he felt sceptical.

“I figured that Ms. Aveline would be able to afford the greatest combat instructors on the planet,” the swordsman pointed out, his mind recalling the identity which she had put on while infiltrating the Hilton alongside him - whether or not that was actually her real surname, the Avelines were a real and famous family of rich snobs from this general area, so who knows? Floyd leaned on the nearby warehouse wall, folding his hands behind his head. “Besides. Unlike all those paid instructors constantly assuring you that you’re doing great, I’ll just ruin your style with my practical experience, wouldn’t I? Ain’t y’all villains supposed to be flamboyant and funny and destined to be beaten by the big brave heroes?”

Marionette bristled as Floyd used her family name, her gaze narrowing as she immediately regretted using it back at the Hilton. Despite how annoying, immature and childish the swordsman was, even she had to admit that he was dangerous. She didn’t think that he was in any position to use the knowledge against her - nor did she think that he was the type of person to care about her real identity - but it was a silly risk for her to have taken. It was her own fault for getting caught up in the moment, the chance to finally fight the Young Bloods herself without Red ruining everything having given her tunnel vision. Marionette had not really thought about what would come next, not having realised that she had managed to catch the attention of a powerful villain like Weatherman.

Crossing her arms, she pressed her lips into a line as she responded to Floyd. “Proper villains are supposed to be like that, but it’s no fun if they don’t win at all. You have to work up to the final confrontation, you know?” Marionette explained earnestly. “That way you can build up all the tension and drama. But I don’t need you to teach me all that stuff.” Pausing for a moment, the girl seemed to hesitate before eventually sighing as she gave in. “Oh come on Floyd, please? I know that I can be better and improve, and I promise that I’ll be a good student - even if you’re a total ass of a teacher. You’ve been doing this for way longer than me, and - I’m only ever going to say this once - you’re an amazing fighter. If you can teach me what you know, then I’m certain that I could actually go and fight real heroes: like the Stars, or the Vixens!” Looking up at the swordsman, Marionette decided that it was time to pull out all the stops by widening her eyes and twisting her mouth ever so slightly into a pleading frown. “What do you say?”

Floyd’s eyes remained focused on the blonde girl as she started pleading him to accept her. If her request to train with him was an unexpected sight already, then this must have been such an unlikely chance that it assured him that he’s going to draw this week’s lottery with the luck he’s been having. It also served as proof that, despite her demeanor, Marionette was earnest with her request. There was no chance in all the circles of Hell that she would steep so low for a prank, or a joke.

Which meant that whether or not this training session takes place was entirely up to him.

Floyd slowly pushed himself off the wall. ...Sure, I’ve got a few hours to kill.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 07, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:06 am

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Icarus

Shihong Smith
"I don't know, it does say something when your first impulse is to deny first degree murder..." Shi widdled a few loose hair strands between her fingers, "Don't you know that people only care about the rumour? It's always better story."

She was only teasing, however, and soon her devilish smirk gave way too laughter. Walking past the anti hero, Shi walked a few steps before turning back, "Well. You left an impression on me. I'm new here so if we are in the same area again let's hang out again..." Shi looked away and stared at the floor just under his feet, "I'm sure we can find something fun for both of us. That is, if you can keep up?"

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:41 am

Aleksey Andropov
Wonder Tower, August 2nd

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:
August 2nd

August 2nd

After Aleksey explained that he wasn't as bothered by the introduction as he appeared to be, and Mizu nodded in response to his request to restrain herself while introducing herself, the conversation shifted towards the pink-haired woman whose thrown phone Mizu had just used to set up her prankstery introduction. Aleksey didn't know what she was about and, to be honest, neither did the purple-haired girl. The rude push to the side she had received was all she had seen of her.

Kiris asserted that the girl, whose name was Renata, apparently, was not always like that. She's usually sweet and helpful to the team, but something had gotten into her this morning which turned her violent against pretty much everyone. And everyone violent against her. Kiris even expressed concern at Mizu getting rudely pushed by her, in response to which the purple-haired girl put up a smile and replied:

"Oh, it's nothing! She didn't push me so hard that I'd fall to the ground or anything..." Mizu placed her finger on her chin, looking to the ceiling and losing herself in thought. "But someone who responds to a phone message by throwing the entire device through a window is definitely not all well, especially if she used to be nice and sweet like you said... Since me and Ale...ksey, that's how you spell it, right?, don't really know her as well as you do, maybe you could go ask her whether something bad happened to her?.."

Isaac Fernán
August 9th, San Diego Militia Rally, Convention Center

The Mad Lass, Sina As'tari!

August 9th

Oh wow, Isaac really knows about how to dig a hole for himself? Right after asserting that he doesn't remember the promise he made to Sina while drunk as balls in the Four Roses, he goes in the other direction and throws what she could only assume was a flirt. Was it a flirt? Don't take her as an expert towards Earthling flirting and compliments, this was basically the first time she ended up in such a situation in the first place.

"What, do you want me to take this straightjacket off?" Sina bluntly replied to Isaac's first comment, then giggled nefariously in response to his second. "You're falling to the same trap, Isaac. Those who don't learn from their history... usually live more exciting lives, but, y'know, knowing how you reacted to your own drunken promise last time..."

Sina let out a sigh, glaring towards the convention. "When's this thing going to move on?!"

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Tomia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:28 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Wendy

Before having gotten breakfast, Roy was approached by Wendy, nodding as she explained her preparation but then raised an eyebrow as she stopped suddenly. He quickly realized that she was worried about Goliath. Who seemed to have a pensive look towards Wendy. "I'll be right back." Roy said before quickly following Wendy out the door and gently grabbing her arm. "Hey..." He said softly, turning her to face him. "I know this whole thing has you shaken up. But you're safe here okay? I promise, I'm not going to let any of these heroes try to give you trouble. And no one else on the team will either."

Finland SSR wrote:Renata

Roy gave a small smile at her comment, "Well, that's very glass half full of you." He said with a light chuckle. Beyond the grim comment she was clearly not in a good mood. "You know I know a lots happened the last few days. And I'm sorry if people, me included, have been a bit short with you." He said sincerelt. It's just... rough week you know?" He figured squad leaders was still a sore subject or her, so he didn't specifically mention it, but she was a team member of his and he felt the need to help if something was bothering her.

Absolon-7 wrote:Casimir

"Ya it's pretty cool." Mars said with a sheepish smile. "There's just so many of them here you know? And like they aren't here to sign autographs or for a competition....They're doing...Hero things." Mars said, sounding a bit in awe. He seemed to snap out of it and blushed slightly. "Well, I'm just glad something is finally being done about Warwolf. I really hope we get to help too. I know the other heroes can handle it but, well, payback would be nice." Mars sounded a bit grim at that last line.

Absolon-7
Diplomat

Founded: May 11, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Absolon-7 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Casimir Herman August 2nd Midnight
To say Casimir was pissed at Red and that monster inside Yoshi would be like saying a hurricane was slight drizzle of water. To think that one of friends was currently harboring some malignant specter and there wasn't a damn thing he could do to save her. Or was there? He couldn't beat the shit out of it with his fists so maybe he could trick it into going into his head then he could beat the shit out of it there. That's how it worked right? But how would he get that to happen in the first place? Casimir snarled as he almost punched the hallway's wall as in no way did he want to clean up the mess. That thing in Yoshi's body leaving like it won, Red giving some halfhearted excuse he had it under control, and the Naja and Voice dismissing them as if nothing happened was absolute bullshit. By his name of Kabuto he'd string up Red by the balls if he was just bluffing. If he didn't then Kabuto would find a way for that thing had never dealt with someone like him.

A chunk of his swarm came to him as he walked like an incoming carpet bringing his Kabuto suit with it along with several flies bringing the key to his motorcycle. Sleeping wasn't an option tonight. His blood was too close to boiling over for him to just roll around in bed. Something more cathartic was in order such beating the daylights out of some thugs perhaps? He changed into the suit swiftly and dismissed the swarm while he went to the Tower's lobby. Upon arrival he saw the guy "the devil wearing Yoshi" was first attacking standing somberly at the entrance. Casimir had to admit the guy should be respected for having some guts. Not many people had that look of unbreakable determination in their eyes or even willing to stand up to some possessing monster and a ginger with a bomb. While in his Kabuto suit Casimir walked up to the fellow and gave a curt wave.

"Greetings. My guess would be you're pissed as I am at that shitshow back there, eh? Well, you can call me Kabuto. I was that black haired fellow that showed up after Red," said Casimir with the faint star and moonlight reflecting off his helmet's eye pieces, "Sheesh, I hope he doesn't make showing up half-naked a habit. Anyway, what can I call you?"

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Alexis Callaghan

Casimir Herman August 2nd Late Afternoon
Casimir watched in confusion as the small blonde girl was apparently quite amused by his answer. He blinked at her in confusion as to think how what he said could possibly have been funny. Did what he say include some sort of new lingo that was popular nowadays or maybe he said it a funny way? He was exhausted after a near continuous twenty four hours of action, fighting, and stress so maybe it came out slurred thus he'd sound drunk? However, the part where she said that she didn't mean to pry made him raise and eyebrow and then there was the comment about her being impressed with his stamina. What in the blazes could she mean by tha-, thought Casimir as suddenly the realization hit him like a fly to a windshield. He was also in the middle of drinking from his glass of milk so the narrowly avoided spit-take as he slammed a towel into his face.

"Hold on, hold on!," scrambled out Casimir as brought the towel away from his reddened face, "I didn't mean I was doing that! It's not like I even had the chance to even if I wanted to. I could I wanted to...uhm..forget it."

Casimir wracked his brain to see what parts would be okay to say. The thing with Icarus would be safe especially as that Eliza woman was now living in the tower. The thing possessing Yoshi was a more delicate manner so he wasn't sure. The rest with Lech and Peacekeeper could be summarized simply enough where he didn't have to go on for hours explaining it.

"I just had to go to a surprise meeting with Naja over some Warwolf thing and Blackout. Then I just spent the rest of the night out in town. I was...err...too frustrated over things have been to just stay cramped in here. Heck, I even met that vigilante Peacekeeper." The red from his cheeks had begun to fade away the more he changed the subject but he was confident Alexis wouldn't keep poking at it. "Anyways, pretty awesome you got a spot as a squad leader. That's gonna take some guts."
Last edited by Absolon-7 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:05 pm

Before breakfast
Tomia wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Wendy

Before having gotten breakfast, Roy was approached by Wendy, nodding as she explained her preparation but then raised an eyebrow as she stopped suddenly. He quickly realized that she was worried about Goliath. Who seemed to have a pensive look towards Wendy. "I'll be right back." Roy said before quickly following Wendy out the door and gently grabbing her arm. "Hey..." He said softly, turning her to face him. "I know this whole thing has you shaken up. But you're safe here okay? I promise, I'm not going to let any of these heroes try to give you trouble. And no one else on the team will either."

"And you guys can't be everywhere Roy." Wendy replied in a hushed tone, glancing around the room. "I appreciate what you're trying to do Roy, but you're not the one everyone's staring at. Ever since War Wolf leaked my real name I haven't been able to leave the island or go online without feeling like my life is in danger, and now I need to use a buddy system just to even use the bathroom here." Taking a breath to compose herself, she continued. "Listen, whatever Naja's planning, she needs to move fast. I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with this."
--------
During Breakfast
"Mind if I sit here." Wendy asked Frostbite as she approached her table. "Seeing as it isn't safe for me to be by myself right now, and no ones going to want to start anything with you given whose coming here."
Last edited by United Kingdom of Poland on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aidannadia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aidannadia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Finland SSR wrote:[...]
"I actually can't see the stars on Town Luna all that well either." [...]

"So, if you like stars, maybe you wanna go meet the Stars, then? They even got a member called Star Queen! Although, I suppose our team has a member calling themselves a star, too... kinda..."

Tadeo turned his head to the side in confusion. "You need to go see the stars sometimes. But first, let's go see the Stars together." He nodded, smiling a bit at his joke as the pair continued to meander down the hallway.

"So, I believe we have a mission today. What name will you be using on the communications? I've learned recently that people strongly value using what name in which place, so it's important to ask." He nodded again, very self assured in the way he put what he was communicating.
Hey, my name is Aidan and I am still figuring out who I really am. Most of my views are some form of leftism someone could probably tell me is not leftism. I'm a guy.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:37 am

August 3rd

“Let’s see...” the swordsman muttered as he folded his arms and began to slowly circle around Marionette. The truth was - even if he was magically interested in a training session with Marionette, he simply did not have much of a clue into the full extent of her abilities. Her powers related to thread manipulation, yes, but he didn’t get to see them in action often. “Let’s do a quick questionnaire, it shouldn’t be hard. You know what role-playing is, correct? Let’s say...”

Floyd stopped in front of Marionette for a second. “Let’s say that you wanted to become a Young Blood.” The swordsman continued to move, explaining what he meant. “Let’s imagine that you never entered the path of villainy and Barbie cosplay and decided to apply to join the team of your idols. And why wouldn’t you? You’re the same age as them, you want to follow their path, and they’re all bloody amazing, aren’t they? And I… Let’s say I’m Nightshade. I’ve grown sick and tired of denying dozens of applications coming from all over the Western Seaboard from teens just like you, and even though there is one slot open in the team, I want a truly exceptional person to fill that slot. So...”

Floyd stopped in front of Marionette for a second time. Really, he could have just asked ‘what can you do?’, but this path was just funnier. “You have three sentences before you’re out of my office. How do you sell yourself? Blowjobs aren’t allowed.”

Marionette seemed to freeze up as Floyd began to outline his little ice-breaker. Her, a Young Blood? And him, Nightshade? Still, she kept her mouth firmly shut as the swordsman paced back and forth in front of her. Or she did right up until his words caused her expression to twist into one of disgust.

“What?! Ew, that’s disgusting!” Marionette practically spat out, her mouth contorting into a scowl as she felt dirty just thinking about Floyd’s little joke. The swordsman simply offered her a smirk, clearly enjoying getting under her skin.

“And that’s a sentence, Princess. I’d choose your words more carefully than that if you want to make the cut.”

That got her to shut up, even though the young villain’s gaze continued to shoot daggers at her so-called teacher. Swallowing her pride, and ignoring Floyd’s uncouth sense of humor, Marionette kept quiet for a few seconds as she considered her response. When she replied, her words were slow and uncertain, a far cry from her usually impulsive behaviour.

“I am able to extend and control threads from my body - primarily through my fingertips - and I can use them to grab or slice through objects if they’re not severed from me. Other than that, they also make me more resilient to attacks and give me my own healing factor to boot - although I’m not really sure how they work or what they are.” Finishing up her second sentence, Marionette planted her hands on her hips. “That enough information, Nightshade?”

“...Maybe.”

Marionette did not give as much new information as Floyd initially anticipated, but he opted to work with it anyway - even if acquiring that info through telling and not showing was never his preferred way. The casual smirk on his face faded as his mind was overtaken by focus. “Alright, so what I’m dealing with is a some sort of…” the swordsman muttered to himself underneath his breath, his eyes glancing to the darkened sky. “...hybrid between close quarters and long range combat. Sort of a diet version of a telepath if your description is anything to go by, just with slashing abilities to go with it...”

“Hey! Who are you calling a diet -!”

Floyd’s face suddenly turned straight towards Marionette and the swordsman continued: “So severing your threads is one of your weaknesses, then. Let’s say you’re facing someone with a slashing weapon, they slipped past your defenses and are about to strike you at full force. What would you do?”

Still scowling at being interrupted, Marionette was about to continue scolding Floyd before instead deciding to hold her tongue. She stayed silent for a few seconds, thinking through the scenario that Floyd presented to her. Psht, what a dumb question - as if I would let anyone get past my defences like that. Idiot. Regardless, she may as well humour the swordsman.

“Easy.” The girl responded, a cocky smirk spreading across her features as she casually placed a hand on her hips. “I would first try to step out of their range to dodge the attack, while using my threads to restrain or redirect their attack. If I had my parasol I could even try to parry it.” Content with her answer, Marionette continued to grin confidently as she waited for whatever Floyd would ask her next.

“Show me.”

Wh-what?

Suddenly, Floyd pulled out his sword and opened up with a swift forward slash. Marionette only had enough time to blink in surprise as the attack commenced without warning. Though Floyd was clearly attacking without hesitation, he had no plans to just split Marionette open here and there - if she were to fail to respond, he’d simply stop inches away from her nose and pull back.

Reacting instinctively, Marionette pushed herself off the ground with her threads. The sudden impulse sent her flying a good few feet back, safely out of range of the melee. However, in the surprise attack, the girl never had a chance to notice the short drop into the warehouse loading zone just behind where she would land. After touching down, Marionette made to take a step backwards to stabilise her footing before her eyes widened as her left foot tried to stand in thin air. Only able to let out a cry of surprise, Marionette desperately flailed her arms around in a futile effort to regain her balance as she fell over backwards. Landing gracelessly in a sprawl on the floor, Marionette let out a pained oomph as her behind took the brunt of the impact. Wincing, she looked up to see Floyd had calmly stopped before his blade had ever really been in a position to harm her.

“H-Hey, that doesn’t count! I wasn’t ready for you to just attack me like that.” As soon as the words left her mouth, Marionette regretted them. Wasn’t learning how to be ready part of what she was hoping to achieve? Grimacing, the girl pushed herself back on to her feet with an irritated scowl as she brushed some of the dust off of her dress. “You know what, nevermind.”

“That’s right.” Floyd stated in response, slamming his sword back into its sheath after Marionette stood back up. At least her last sentence hinted that Marionette knew what her mistake was - as long as she follows up by learning from it, perhaps this won’t be as difficult as he initially thought. “Besides, I gave you enough of a warning - I requested you to explain your hypothetical response and promptly asked for a showcase. The blame falls entirely on you, especially since you wouldn’t get nearly as much of an opening in a real fight.”

Calmly, Floyd stepped forward, continuing to speak as he approached his peer. “Your opponent’s weapon is strong enough to cut your threads and they’re pushing you to a corner. Both of your stated methods of counter are thus unavailable. What do you do?”

Without waiting for a verbal response, Floyd suddenly lunged forward, this time opening up with a piercing maneuver and continuing to push towards Marionette with further slashes, none of which he was trying to land, but instead was hoping to use as a way to push the blonde girl deeper into the warehouse.

Still chafing from her fall and feeling the heat of embarrassment irritatingly touching her cheeks, Marionette glowered as Floyd sheathed his sword. However, she was surprised when there was no snarky comment forthcoming, no harsh criticism or accusation of incompetence. Instead, the swordsman bluntly critiqued her response before once again posing a combat scenario.

Ok, Mr. Tough Guy, I see how this works now.

“Well, I’d - eeek!” Marionette let out a cry as her self-confident explanation was suddenly cut short as Floyd rushed towards her. Reacting as quickly as she could, she stepped to the side to avoid the initial piercing attack before reaching out towards the parasol lying a few metres away from the combat. A trio of threads immediately shot from her fingers before wrapping around the closed umbrella before delivering it securely into her hands - just in time for her to use it to deflect the first of Floyd’s slashes.

With her eyes narrowed in concentration, Marionette tried to focus on the swordsman’s blade as she parried and responded to each of his attacks. Struggling to keep up with the far more experienced and practiced duelist, the villain scowled as she felt herself being inexorably pushed back. Come on, he wants you to think. How could you use your powers to - LOOK OUT! Marionette’s thought was cut short as she had to suddenly duck under what she thought had been a feint. The blade passed so close to her head that she could’ve sworn that she felt it slice through a few strands of her hair. Grimacing, she found herself unable to find the time to think anything through in the heated, rapid pace of the battle. Glancing around for any opportunity, she decided that she had little choice but to take a risk. Otherwise Floyd would just eventually grind down her defences.

Pushing aside her hesitation, Marionette parried one last attack from Floyd before suddenly stopping her backwards retreat and stepped right up and into the swordsman’s chest. Less than an arm’s length away, she knew that she only had a moment since her back was entirely open and sent a flurry of threads to wrap around Floyd’s legs. Hopefully she would just have to tighten them and then be able to knock him over with a single, swift tug.

Scanning Marionette’s stance, movements and facial expression during the whole match with his enhanced vision, Floyd was quick to notice the villainess’ incoming gamble - the sound of several threads suddenly wooshing below easily caught his attention. A grapple around the legs, perhaps? He couldn’t fault Marionette for such a choice at all - with powers like hers, it was a reasonable counter-attack to a situation where she was forced on the back foot - but, coupled with the grimace on her face, it screamed of desperation.

Crimson sparks of demonic energy cracked to life around Floyd’s legs and his feet sank to the ground one after the other, pushing apart cement and rubble on the way and anchoring themselves that way. As soon as Marionette’s threads wrapped around his legs and began tugging, they found themselves faced with an immovable force. The swordsman himself, however, did not stand there waiting - sensing the opportunity gifted to him by Marionette’s focus on his legs, Floyd suddenly smacked with the flat side of his sword across the villainess’ hand to knock the parasol out of her grasp, and followed it up with a sudden elbow strike straight at her torso.

As soon as Marionette fell on the floor with a thud, the swordsman raised his weapon straight in front of her nose, keeping it there for a second before moving it away, sheathing it and finally pulling his feet out of the floor.

“Game over. You’re defeated and get dragged back to your prison cell for approximately forty-eight hours before I have to rescue you again.” Floyd commented, pushing his hands into his pockets. Just kidding - if his sword or something equally precious to him is not threatened, he could let the girl rot there forever. “Did you catch how the fight went? The constant pressure on you forced you to retreat towards a corner of the warehouse, eliminating the option of retreat. The foot anchor kept your threads occupied for a just long enough window to make the difference, eliminating the option of countering my attacks with your threads. The sword, obviously, eliminated the parasol. At which point, the fight was basically done for.”

Floyd pulled out a cigarette from his pocket and lit it up, taking a smoke. While it wasn’t exactly difficult, the spar with Marionette was actually kind of fun. It doesn’t happen often that he can get to school someone on how fighting works.

“That’s the most important thing about how superhuman fighting works, I liken it to a card game. This isn’t just normie martial artists going at it, we’re all special snowflakes with our own unique strengths and counters. Ace cards, you could say. And the most vital thing to do is always to counter or eliminate as many of the enemy’s aces as possible while staying ahead of the enemy’s counters. You can call it just fighting smart, sure, but you could be a complete dimwit and still win as long as you know what works against what.”

Finishing his cigarette, Floyd tossed it to the side. “That’s why all of those instructors you could have hired would have taught you fuck-all. They can train you in a fighting style or teach you a few techniques, but it might as well be piss in the wind against people who can warp the fabric of reality. It’s also why I can’t simply ‘make you a better fighter’. That’s what experience is for. Before we move on, have any questions?”

Glaring at Floyd, Marionette grimaced as she lay defeated on the floor. Rubbing the back of her head where it had landed on the hard concrete, she angrily pushed herself to her feet. It had all deteriorated so fast. When her threads had wrapped around Floyd’s leg, she had really thought for a moment that she’d had him. But when her tug had done nothing, she had instead realised that the opposite was true. Before she’d even had the chance to think another thought, she had ended up winded and lying on her back - with the tip of a sword poised only an inch-or-so from her throat. Rolling her eyes, the girl scoffed in visible irritation.

“Oh come on - that’s your great nugget of wisdom? Give me a break, any idiot could tell you that it’s important to figure out the counters to your opponents’ strengths.” She was seething as she glowered at Floyd, but she knew that her anger was directed far more at herself - not that she was ready to admit as much. “And it’s easier said than done. It’s fine to have a plan, but it’s not like you can know everything about your opponent in advance. And what happens if they surprise you, huh? How’d you know your sword would counter my parasol instead of the other way round?” On a roll at this point and allowing her frustrations - from her defeat, to her encounter with Hex the day before - to bubble to the surface, Marionette planted her hands on her hips. “You still just seem like a cocky jerk who’s all full of hot air if you ask me.”

“See. That’s the fun part - you never know everything about your opponent in advance. Plans are useless in the superhuman world. That’s why you’ve gotta always keep a cool head on your shoulders which can react to all the bullshit which the other side throws on the fly.” Floyd answered bluntly to the blonde villainess’ complaints and then turned around, slowly walking towards one of the corners of the warehouse. “That’s one thing you presumably struggle with. Since you’re, in the end, just a teenage girl with a fetish for roleplaying heroes and villains. And all of those moustache twirling villains who laugh maniacally while kidnapping the hero’s loved one, turns out they’re kinda the complete bloody opposite of what I’m talking about.”

So. Marionette’s been taught a few things and sufficiently irritated. Seems like a fair enough foundation to work on for the second phase of this training session. The swordsman grabbed onto the handle of his weapon and suddenly pulled it out, turning around and assuming a defensive stance - his body slightly crouching back and weapon held horizontally overhead, to block and deflect any incoming blows from the front.

“Now that you’ve been pissed off, you ain’t gonna hold back one inch when we move onto offense. Try to do the same thing which I just did to you. Disarm, knock down, take out. Gotcha?”

Blowing a stray strand of hair that had fallen out of place in the fighting, Marionette stood for a few seconds as she glared at Floyd. For a moment she wanted to tell the swordsman that he could take his lousy teaching methods elsewhere, but something made her hesitate. If she were the one to throw in the towel first after asking Floyd to teach her, then she would never be able to live it down. And was it really worth turning down a chance to practice against a superpowered opponent? Not to mention that the thought of knocking Floyd onto his ass was undeniably appealing. Swallowing her pride, Marionette took a breath as she tried to focus on the waiting swordsman. Ok, think. You just have to get that toothpick off of him and then it’ll be easy-peasy. The question was how.

Suddenly, Floyd’s feet shifted beneath him.

“Too slow.” He stated plainly before launching himself towards a still thinking Marionette. The girl’s eyes widened at the unexpected offensive action, and she only just managed to bring her parasol up to block the attack. The swordsman grinned as their two weapons clashed, amused at the look of surprise on the girl’s features. “In a fight, nobody’s going to be dumb enough to give you time to think ahead. If you’re going to stand around like a brain-dead slug, you bloody well better expect the fight to come to you.”

Scowling, Marionette seethed as she once again found herself on the back-foot and taken by surprise. “Oh please, as if I would’ve left myself completely open while I’m anywhere near you.” With a grunt, she pushed Floyd away with her parasol before stepping forward to launch at attack of her own. Wielding her closed umbrella like a sword of her own, she opened with a flurry of quick lunges in an effort to pierce Floyd’s defences. The sharp point at its tip would have been more than enough to incapacitate her opponent if it pierced flesh, but the girl struggled to find an opening. Whenever she struck, Floyd’s blade was always perfectly placed to redirect her attack, as if he could predict her movements in advance.

Letting out a grunt of effort as she redoubled her efforts to try and surprise the swordsman with a quick feint, Marionette threw her weight behind a swing only to have her eyes widen as she felt her parasol sliding off cold steel. Floyd grinned as he caught the umbrella on the flat of his blade, feeling the weight of the girl behind her attack. Idiot. She’s put herself off balance. With an effortless push with his sword arm, Floyd redirected Marionette’s momentum so that she stumbled inelegantly off to the side. Realising her mistake to overcommit a moment too late, Marionette was about to turn around to block any counterattacks when she felt a foot press against the small of her back. With her eyes widening at the unexpected move, she was helpless as Floyd kicked her forward, knocking her over and causing her to fall face down onto the dusty floor.

As the girl let out a cry of surprise before tumbling over herself, Floyd rolled his eyes. She’s not thinking this through at all. Does anything ever get into that thick skull? Letting out an exaggerated yawn, the swordsman lazily gestured towards Marionette. “You’re dead again, Barbie. Come on, I thought you were going to be more of a challenge this time round and yet I haven’t even broken a sweat.”

Grimacing, Marionette grit her teeth together. She knew that there was no point in trying to offer a retort. She’d just embarrass herself further by trying. Turning her head to the side, she saw her parasol lying on the ground beside her. Ok, trying to beat him at his own game was a mistake. I can’t win in a straight-up sword fight, which means that I’ll have to use my threads. Suddenly, Marionette’s eyes widened as an idea popped into her head. Acting immediately, she reached out and shot a web of threads to wrap around one of the rafters that criss-crossed the warehouse’s ceiling. Retracting her threads immediately, the girl pulled herself up off the floor and propelled herself upwards towards the roof. Swinging around the beam she was targeting, she landed on both of her feet in time to look down to see Floyd staring up at her with a bemused expression.

“Really, is running away your idea of a pla-” Before he could finish his sentence, Floyd was cut off as a series of threads suddenly began flying rapidly towards him. Quickly stepping to the side, he brought his sword to bear as he parried and cut down the attacking strings. He felt one of them get close, the rush of air from its movement causing some strands of his hair to sway slightly in the breeze. But missing by an inch was still a missed attack. Fending off the wave of attacks, he offered the girl in the rafters a smirk. “Figured out to use your range advantage. Sure took you long enough. Not a bad idea, except you’ve always got to consider how fast your opponent can move if you’re going to try something like that.”

Listening to Floyd continue to rant on confidently was increasingly getting under Marionette’s skin, but she paused as he calmly unpacked her strategy in an instant...and then offered her a warning. Uh oh.

She hardly had time to process the danger before Floyd bent his knees and used a surge of demonic energy to push off from the ground, cracking the concrete behind him, in order to jump up into the rafters. Reacting on instinct more than anything, Marionette managed to jump aside just in time as the rafter she had been standing in was shattered as Floyd barrelled straight into it. Losing sight of the swordsman in the explosion of wood chips and splinters, she wrapped some threads around another beam in an effort to lower herself to the ground rather than fall. Knowing that she wasn’t going to be allowed even a second’s grace, she was just able to step aside as Floyd seemed to fly down from the ceiling with an overhead swing right where she had been standing moments before.

Seeing the swordsman land without seemingly a scratch on him, Marionette felt a pit form in her stomach as she realised that she was once again in range of his attacks - except now she didn’t have her parasol on hand to deflect his sword. Floyd’s mouth twitched upwards into a smirk, revealing that he also picked up on her precarious situation and realised that the fight was entering its final stage. Reacting in the only way she could, Marionette launched an all out attack with her threads. Three or more of the squirming red strings extended out from each of her fingers as they independently lashed out at the swordsman.

Seeing the incoming onslaught, Floyd shut off everything except his sight and balance in order to focus on each of the projectiles as he wielded his sword like a blender, moving it so quickly through the air that it may as well have been a silver blur to any onlooker. Cutting through threads with ease, a rain of inert, severed strings floated gently to the ground at Floyd’s feet. But despite the weight of the attacks, Floyd slowly began to take a series of steps towards his opponent, beginning to close the distance as he forced Marionette once again to begin retreating to one of the corners of the warehouse. Grinning behind his whirling blade, he saw the fatigue beginning to weigh on the girl’s expression as the effort to maintain such a total onslaught rapidly took its toll on her reserves of energy. It was now only a matter of time until she slipped up.

As he inexorably closed the distance to his opponent, Floyd’s focus was entirely on the endless blitz that continued to rush towards him. As he constantly cut the ends of the threads that drew too close, the floor in front of him soon looked like it was entirely covered in inert pieces of the substance. But the growing layer of dull red strings obscured one that had quietly tied itself into a loop just large enough for a grown man’s foot.

Imperceptible amidst the countless thread carcasses, the looped thread trailed all the way to Marionette’s feet, where it snaked up the back of her leg towards her hand. Trying to remain focused as beads of sweat increasingly formed on her forehead, she tried desperately not to give her plan away. With the rest of her attacks acting as a diversion, she was only get one chance to put her plan into motion, but since Floyd was forced to be on the offensive lest he give her the advantage of range, she might just be able to use his ceaseless advance against him. All she needed to do was catch him by surprise.

Taking one, final step forward. Floyd’s foot landed perfectly in the centre of the buried hoop, at which point Marionette sprung her trap. Suddenly bursting into life, the thread constricted around Floyd’s ankle, causing the swordsman’s gaze to shoot down in surprise. Immediately, he realised what was about to happen.

Well, shit.

Before he had a chance to respond to the attack, Floyd was pulled off his feet with enough force to send him swinging through the air and slamming painfully into one of the building’s walls. The impact was enough to cause his grip to loosen on his blade, sending the weapon clattering to the ground as the air was forced out from his lungs. Pulled away from the wall, Floyd was pulled by the foot until he was hanging suspended upside down in the air in front of a widely grinning Marionette, while a second thread hovered an inch-or-so away from his throat.

“Hah, I win!” Letting out a cheer, Marionette punched the air excitedly with the hand that wasn’t controlling her threads. “I totally surprised you with that last move, admit it Floyd. You would so totally be dead right now.”

Floyd, meanwhile, released a tired, but accepting sign, gently pushing the thread placed next to his neck away while Marionette was cheering, before finally bluntly getting dropped to the ground like a sack of rocks. “I’m more surprised that you didn’t take the chance to actually kill me there, personally.” he muttered while rubbing his neck and picking up the sword which had fallen from his hands and bounced onto the ground.

Marionette was only half-listening to the swordsman, busy as she was continuing to celebrate her overwhelming triumph with a few victory bows to an imaginary crowd. She blew the invisible stands a few kisses, before turning around to look at Floyd. Unable to wipe the giddy grin from her features, she hesitated as the villain finished speaking. It wasn’t like she wanted to inflate the man’s ego or anything, but she couldn’t deny that she had been able to improve. Ergh, just tell him thanks or something. Don’t get all icky about it.

“Hey, uh, I guess I’m sorry for calling you a cocky jerk earlier - though I’m not saying you aren’t one.” She said, the words not quite coming easily. Taking a breath, she tried to refocus. “Thanks, is what I’m trying to say. That was pretty awesome...and I guess your lessons may have, perhaps, been a tiny, little bit useful. Maybe.”

Floyd raised an eyebrow at the unexpected sign of gratitude, surprised to see that the girl’s foul mouth was able to actually say something nice for once. He was loathe to admit it, but the little sparring session had been enjoyable for him too. Heck, for some bloody reason he had even been happy when Marionette had pulled the fast one on him. Was he actually glad that she had picked up on something he’d said? Nah, probably just hit my head when she dropped me.

“Well, it still took you long enough to beat me. And you spent plenty of your energy just coming up to that plan and then setting it up - if I were, hypothetically, the only opponent you had to fight today, that’d be perfectly fine, but since you’re gonna be taking on a team with enough manpower to crowd a medium sized bus… I advise to find a way to conserve your energy as most as possible while achieving the same result.”

Punctuating his tirade by sliding his sword into its handle on his back, Floyd shoved his hands into his pockets and continued:

“Not that I expect my advice to burrow into that thick skull of yours that easily - but hey, that’s what this sparring session is for. And we’re just getting started.”

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Auropa
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Auropa » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:43 am

Kross Mathews
Wonder Tower, August 4th roughly 8:00AM

Unlike some of the heroes’ entrances and their larger than life presence, the small, wiry frame of Kross passed across the island as though he weren't even there. He was quiet, relatively plain looking and perpetually followed by the slight smells of tar and alcohol, compared against all these famous and powerful super teams, he seemed practically invisiblen. The only thing betraying his abnormality was a certain sharp, focus in his eyes and a seeming indifference towards his own extraordinary circumstances. Getting around proved easy enough, his invitation got him past the security and while it had been practically a decade since he had last come here, he remembered the layout well enough.

That lying, two-faced, self-absorbed, snake.’ He thought to himself as he approached. On top of not giving him so much as a heads up for her little WarWolf stunt, she had the gall to call him in for help after it all went south. ‘Who the hell does she think she is?! This isn’t meant to be some crazy solo operation. And just running in without calling for backup? What the hell did she think was going to- Shit it feels weird to be on the other side of this rant...’ he decided as he finally crossed into the meeting room.

As far as practical war councils went, this one had a distinct ‘motherly’ feel to it. If it weren’t for the equipment, the living weapons and the odd chart scattered around the tables, he wouldn’t have be surprised to know the whole thing was just Naja hosting some breakfast party for her kids. ‘Her kids…’ Kross thought to himself letting out a small, tired exhale as he spied few of the infamous teen heroes around the room. It hadn’t been long since he last saw them at the Cabal incident but he could already see some new faces and couldn't help but try to guess which of them had global players pulling their strings, either way though they were all about to make a very dangerous statement to the world. ‘Alright, lets get this over with.’ He figured as he walked over to the unmistakable serpentine woman while she continued to greet the guests.

“You know when someone stabs me in the back, they don’t normally invite me to their tea parties after. Hey Quake, how’s the not-so-secret secret ice-brat?” He added with a short, less-than-friendly smile to the nearby hero and received an open scowl in response.

“My office. Now.” Naja responded behind her own venomous glare at Kross' sudden aggressive stance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roughly two awkward minutes later
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do you have to act like a child out there?” She asked frustratedly as she closed the door behind them and turned to face her old ‘friend’

“If it involves screwing with the Stars? Then that's a strong yes.” Kross casually replied as he fished around his coat for a cigarette and his trusty lighter.

“Honestly, you're here for less than two seconds and you piss off one of our heavy hitters. Do you have any idea what he and daughter must be going through right now?”

“You damn well know I do and I'm not about to console that arrogant prick when his own dumb ass choices come back to bite him.” He half muttered as he pulled out his recovered cigarette and began to raise it up only for it be snatched out of his grasp in an instant.

“Of all the way’s to start this-“ Naja stated as she tossed the unused tube to the trash “Look I called you here because I need your help, god knows I gave up on fixing your manors a lifetime ago, but I also can't afford to have you picking fights with everyone when I need their help too.”

“About that, let me take a guess on whats going on here. You poked the wolf too many times and now you need someone to come and clean up the mess right? I mean for Christ sake Naja, you sent kids to raid their base! Warwolf's no Division K but they've got more than enough firepower to do, well exactly what they’re doing now. What the hell were you thinking giving something like that the greenlight?”

“What I was thinking Kross, is that a bunch of sadistic, fanatical human-supremacists had captured one of my own as payback for her saving a friend. And I was also considering that every day we left her locked up in their custody could have easily ended up being her last.”

“And I’m sure the fact she has family ties to some of the most powerful and influential Hadrien groups didn’t play a role what-so-ever?”

“No. It didn’t.” Naja stated with a piercing glare and icy tone as she practically dared Kross to push her further.

“Then why the hell didn’t you involve me in this?” he said in response, ready to match her steely gaze "You know damn well I could've helped! Intel, gear, influence, we could have done this a better, more planned out way. Instead I only find out about this whole thing when you've got the kids neck deep in mercenaries." As he spoke though he found himself genuinely surprised and taken aback as the snake woman's features softened and even break into a smile.
“What?!” He finally asked her as she struggled to hold back a slight chuckle.

“Of all the things I was expecting to hear. I never would have guessed that was what would upset you most.”

“Oh for- I’m being serious here. You’ve got plenty of connections but I’ve got resources. If you needed to get her out I could have-”

“Brought in Pandora’s Lock? Go running in gung-ho? Insult the guards until they leave their posts crying for their mothers? I’m not an idiot Kross, I know what’s going on out there and I know exactly how it would look for you of all people to get involved in this.”

“Then why not-"

“And I also know that if I told you so much as the date, then you’d have done all of what I just said and more. I didn’t want to put them in danger either, but I didn’t have the time or the options to try something else. And its like I've been saying, things are different this time, the team is different. I'm willing to put my trust in them.”

“Well I sure as hell aren’t. But… And I hate that I’m saying this, I get it. You're in charge here and you're trying to look at the big picture now. And while that's great, I don’t give a damn. I’ve got my own stake in this, so next time, email, phone or smoke signal. So long as you let me know, I don’t care. I've been working my ass off to keep away investigations, clear names and cover your collective asses and I couldn't care less if that keeps a few big shots up at night. Now then, as fun as it is to yell at one another and watch you throw my stuff away. What’s the plan and what do you need me to do?”

Replacing her smile with a more serious and focused look, Naja gave a quick nod then pulled out a detailed map of the city and placed it across her table. “So far we’ve got the Stars, the Rising Suns and the Sea Monsters on board and ready to push our unwelcome friends out but there’s too much ground for them to cover. If Warwolf forces can avoid our guys and fill in behind us with fresh and readied troops, then this whole thing is going to get real messy, real fast.”

“So you need their backup slowed down?"

“Or bottlenecked, or removed. I’m working to deal with as many as I can but I need you to handle with the northern condemned district.” After receiving a raised eyebrow in response, she continued “Not the whole thing don’t worry, but there are a few supply depots, motor pools and maybe a barracks or two. Anything you can do to slow down their counter attacks would buy us time to properly clear out the city.”

Pausing for a moment to survey the map, Kross came to his decision “You’re shit at drawing battle plans. I’m in. I’ll get a few tight lipped friends and see what we can do, though that’s about the best I can offer, the city itself is on you and your poor choice of friends.”

Earning another smile response, he did his best to avoid the serpentine’s warm gaze and instead tried to focus on the shitstorm she was dragging him into “Well then. Since that’s out of the way, I’m gonna get a damn pancake before one of your brats ask me for something.” He said half muttering to himself as he shuffled out and started to walk back to the meeting room only for Naja to quickly and easily catch up to him mid journey.

“Thank you Kross.” She said happily to the clearly displeased man.

“What the hell for?” He asked as he stealthily placed his freshly drawn cigarette back into his coat.

“For caring about them.” She added nonchalantly as she steadily out paced him and moved back to the meeting.

“I don’t care about- ahh fuck it.” he muttered to himself as he walked on.
Last edited by Auropa on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:01 pm

Scott Green-Green Family Home, Residential District-August 4th

For most people, finding your family is the first thing you do after being away for a long time.Especially if being away wasn't your choice. As in being abducted by alien collectors and living on an alien world for years. In a situation like that, you would have thought that running bck home would be my first action. In reality...it was almost the last. And...why was that? It's something which has bothered me for some time now. Even back on Aeon, I clearly wanted to see my family again. I was even saving money to purchaase a ship just to fly back. Couldn't exactly take a charter flight since Earth isn't connected to Aeon in any travel sense. But when I finally crashed landed back home. I immediately went to the Young Bloods in Wonder Tower. And when I left there I immediately went to Bria's place. Why am I so hesitent to go back to the one place I know everyone wants me?

The reason was my age old nemesis. Fear.

I was afraid of what things would be like coming back. What if my parents divorced in my absense? What if I had new nieces or nephews? New step parents? What if they were not even here at all?

Well, I wasn't alone this time. Not only had Bria allowed me to continue occupying her place she even agreed to some with me to this little reunion. I didn't want to come alone and after I explained that it would be easier if she was there she hastily agreed. We both stood on the sidewalk as I watched ver the lawn. Knowing that once I stepped into the yard and to the front door and knocked my life would change again. And hopefully for the better. Change was never something I was good with. And so much has been changing so fast in the last couple of years. I looked across the yard and noticed that the jungle gym was now gone. It made sense after all Bethany and Serena have gotten too old for that. The car was different, seemed a newer model but still an SUV. Must have been a trade in. It was then that Bria looked over at me. "Told you they were still here. Trust me, everything will be fine Scotty. You ready for this?" I answered with a hesitant nod and just like that she bumped me to where I fell into the yard. "Well lead the way then." Shooting an annoyed gaze back at her I sighed and relented and made way with a slow pace at first as Bria followed behind me. That was until the spinkler system came on and started to soak us both. Bria yelped and as we both dashed at a break neck pace to the door step where Bria eager to get inside from the sprinkler managed to knock first.

"I got it!" A young voice sounded from inside as it sounded as if the girl was descending down the stairs.

Was that...Bethany? I wondered, for just a moment as I connected the voice I heard to my memories. Then with a whoosh the door swung open revealing a young teenage girl with her dark hair done up in pigtails as she took a moment to look at me. My suspicians were right, this was indeed Bethany who was looking puzzled for just a moment as her face lit up just in time to hear our Rebecca's voice call out from the kitchen.

"Bethany who is it?" Bethany didn't answer though. Instead she lept forward throwing both arms around me in a full bear hug embrace ignoring my soaked shirt.

"I'm home Beth..."

Jill Colson/Peacekeeper-Wonder Tower-August 12th

"You know Bu, that's the first time I ever had someone so excited to ride in the back of the car." I informed the Young Blood as we turned a corner. "I would play some music for us but I can't. Gotta have it off for my radio in case a call comes in." Me and Bu kept up the idle chatter for the duration of the way back to Wonder Tower. I had even turned the lights on as we were crossing over the bridge which led to Wonder Tower. When I reached the other end I explained that I was dropping off one of their own which I had in 'custody'. After explaining over an intercom that Bu had not actually gotten in trouble and this was just a courtesy ride I was allowed in and drove up to the entrance of the Tower. At this point I exited the car and opened the back seat up allowing a hand cuffed Bu to step out, he had insisted on wearing the cuffs for sun I suppose. I uncuffed him and gave a nod that he was good to go.

"Was that authentic enough for you?" I asked in a light tone. I then cast a glance to the Tower and was reminded why I had really wanted to come here.

"Well, it's been fun Bu. I appreciate the talk. I am gonna talk a walk around and see if I can maybe talk to a few of your friends. I think I have one in mind. I'll be seeing you around." With that we parted ways after entering the Tower as I pondered on if I should speak to their handler first. Or just try my luck at having a look around in hopes I run into him.

Deciding that I would rather not roam randomly through the Tower I tracked down 'Naja' who is the handler for the team near her office. It wasn't hard to spot her. She is the only one who is a clear adult and a snake. I then approached her and offered my badge.

"I am Officer Colson with the SDPD. I was just hoping you could allow me to speak to a member of your team. Carter Graystone? I believe that he could help me greatly with an investigation I am working on with just a interview." Naja seemed slightly concerned, I didn't have a warrant or anything. But I was invited on the island to drop off a fellow YB. So if things did not go smoothly we were in some murky legal waters.

"Is...Carter in any trouble?" I quickly reassured her.

"Of course not, I just need to speak to him and I will be on my way." I affirmed still holding the manila folders under one arm.

"And the case that you are working is..."

"I would rather not say. To keep Carter's business as private as possible." Naja gave a knowing nod and led the way. From there she lead me up the Tower and to his room where she showed me his door.

"He should be in his room, I'll leave the two of you for some privacy."

With that she left and I waited to knock on his door until she was gone. Finally banging my knuckles on his door I announced myself.

"Carter, it's Officer Colson of the SDPD. Listen you are not in trouble I just have some questions for you regarding a friend of yours. Could you let me in for a few minutes so we can speak in private?" I really hoped that he wouldn't make this difficult, by now I am sure he had heard of Vendetta's death and I have no intention of returning with a warrant to get him to talk. But I will if I have to. After all,I had rather not play bad cop with a Young Blood. I do respect this team after all, and frankly I prefer playing good cop. I just hope Carter responds wants to give the answers as badly as I want them.
My RP Nation is the Islamic Republic of Alamon

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Tomia wrote:Roy

August 4th

Renata unenthusiastically swirled the spoon in her cereal, occasionally taking a small sip when her will forced itself through, while she listened to Roy's response. The raven-haired team leader was apologizing for what had happened between her and the rest of the team, but something within Renata's mind guessed that his apology was insincere. Or at least far, far too belated - when her mood is at its worst and when she has been slighted to the point of being completely ignored for team leader picks, merely an apology was not going to cut it at this point. Especially when they still had time to amend the root of the problem.

"Oh, now you're starting to apologize, huh?! Right after... right after..." Renata raised her voice towards Roy, but like a spark lit upon a burned fuse, her anger dissipated as quickly as it had arrived, and the heroine's eyes lowered towards her bowl of cereal before she finally released a sigh.

"It's just... these last few days have been really hectic for me. Or... week. Or... however long Warwolf has been around in this city at this point... And all of you seriously aren't helping, getting kidnapped and forcing me to worry every night, or passing me over for leadership and thus implying that I'm not even on the same level of worth as Mike, or Wendy..."

Renata rested her head on her hand, mulling over her thoughts as she continued staring at her bowl with little interest at finally eating.

Absolon-7 wrote:Casimir Herman August 1-2

Jan Sorok, the Hero of Poland!

August 1st-2nd

Before Jan could depart from Wonder Island and rejoin the society of San Diego, hopefully with more luck in avoiding Warwolf this time, he was stopped short by someone addressing him from behind. It was a man in an odd colorful superhero suit, but the name, his mental signature and the words which he spoke all revealing that this was the same fellow Pole who had made a stand against the Scarab in the corridors of Wonder Tower together.

Right... he was Polish just like him. He muttered some Polish words when first arriving to the scene, his name was of Polish origins, and the man's accent easily gave away that he wasn't a pure American either. And Jan's English skills were still lacking - what do you expect of a guy who had to drop school when he was fourteen and live in slums for the rest of his life - so...

"<I... gave myself the title Lech when I first started saving and helping people. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to name myself after someone this legendary when I don't even seek to become as famous as him... but that's the name I've been stuck with since then.>" Jan replied to Casimir's question in Polish after turning around to meet the masked superhero face to face. "<Kabuto doesn't sound Polish, though. How'd you come up with that name?>"

Aidannadia wrote:Tadeo

August 4th

Mizu let out a giggle after Tadeo's joke, her pace still surpassing that of her peer's and the girl thus swiping all around the corridor while he maintained a brisk pace. Sure, it was a simple and predictable joke and Mizu had basically set it up for Tadeo to act upon, but it was still amusing to see in practice. A name for communications, though...

Oh crap! She still hasn't come up with a name for herself! Mizu suddenly froze in fright.

"I-I don't have a superhero name!" the girl exclaimed, frantically looking from side to side and rubbing her head, searching through it for any possible options. "W-what am I going to give to the Stars?! I can't call myself Mizu in front of their eyes! First, that's my real name, and second... i-it doesn't have any symbolism or anything, it's terrible! Aaaahhhh!"
Last edited by Finland SSR on Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Segral
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Segral » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:11 pm

Carter Graystone
August 4th

Wyatt never saw it. Within seconds, Carter had slunk through the doorways with an evil grin, crept across the floor space as silently as a ghost, and, practically descending on top of Wyatt like an evil spirit, stuck his head right down the back of his neck. With his voice perfectly tuned to the finest ASMR, he whispered one word; "Boo!"

It did the trick, Wyatt jumping quite noticeably as Carter hopped over his flicking tail and slid into a hard folding char beside him, not spilling a drop of orange juice on the way. Which was good, because he had a ton of food. He had basically been living off of takeout Chinese and Monster for the past few days thanks to all the late-night mission planning and chaos that had been going down in Wonder Tower, and he figured now was the time to start eating properly again. So he had loaded up with whole-grain bread, bacon, and all the boiled eggs you could ask for, complete with a fresh glass of OJ. Not Simpson. It wasn't much, but after you've eaten crappy chow mein for three days straight, it was heavenly.

"Wassup, my scaly brother-in-arms?" Carter asked cheerfully, popping half a boiled egg in his mouth. "Not in the mood for socializing, I see? Come on man, you're in a room full of some of the biggest heroes in the US, and the world for that matter, and you stare at them like you're trying to go Freudian on them? Networking is the tool of the future! Heck, I see John Starling, a.k.a Redhawk, going right past us! What's the harm?" he said, staring adoringly as the Redhawk in question strode past their table, looking very preoccupied with the air around him.

Carter Graystone
August 12th

He still was in pure shock. He had barely left his room for days, crouched over at his desk combing the news, the Web for any scrap of information about the Outriders, about Alexis. Amidst all the chaos, breaking Kiris out, the big-ass joint mission they had, he had been left completely in the dark, completely unprepared for the news that practically tilted the Earth around him on its axis, the news that had come to him one night, finally relaxing after days of no rest, extreme stress. But he hadn't given up hope. After all, she was just missing, it didn't mean she was dead. Hell, she evaded police capture all this time, they probably were just trying to appeal to the public by claiming she was "most likely" dead. The police in this country were stupid anyway, they were probably wrong. They had to be wrong.

But every day, every hour that went by, the idea that they might be right gnawed at him. It gnawed away at his hope until it was thin, thin as gauze. He had practically become a stalker, making a big document where he compiled any information possible regarding Alexis, any conspiracy theories, any reported sightings, any single news update he could find. He was pretty much in his room anywhere from 18-20 hours a day, whether he was sleeping, working, or just pacing around his bed in a focused mantra. The only times he left his room were to eat or get an occasional training session in, training sessions that seemed to come fewer and more far between as his search intensified. He looked like a mess too, with his hair ungroomed and unruly, hints of stubble growing on his face, bags practically hollowing out his eyes, wrinkles folding themselves deep within his clothes. He wasn't even sure if the others had noticed, none of them had bothered to ask about his new habits other than the occasional "are you OK?". He wasn't, but what was he going to say, "Yeah, I'm currently searching for my info about what happened to the closest friend I've ever had, who also happens to be a wanted criminal outlaw."?

He was in the middle of another search, can of Dr. Pepper in his fist as he furiously combed some underground online conspiracy theory forum over some reported sighting of Alexis near a bar, when a sudden, furious banging on his door ensued, like some SWAT team was outside ready to bash their way in. Nearly spitting out the glob of soda in his mouth, he span around wildly to face the door, hands reflexively placed up to shield his face. But the only thing that penetrated the door was...sound. The sound of some young woman's voice, all gritty and tough and official, claiming that she was some Officer Colson from the SPDS or whatever and that she had questions about a friend of his.

"Um...ok? What friend are y-OH!" he yelped, as he looked at the contents of the current webpage he was browsing, finally connecting the dots. Goddammit! Oh god, she claimed he wasn't in trouble, but how was he supposed to not get in trouble here? Either he could be a snitch and get trouble for knowing all of this, or he could refuse to comply and still get in trouble. There was no way out. Might as well accept it.

"Uh...ok, gimme a sec." he meekly called out from behind the door, slamming his laptop shut. At least his room was in a clean state for visitors. After all, given that he was shut up in here for so long, he had spent a lot of time cleaning his room to perfection. It took his mind off of things, gave him something to do. His sheets and bed were in perfect order, his carpets were spotless, everything was at right angles in both the bedroom and counter, laundry is done and in its place, his Eduardo Escobar-signed baseball sitting in its perfect spot on the shelf above his bed. The only messy things were his desk, with the surface cluttered with empty drink cans, wrappers, index cards, pens, laptop, and his laptop charger, and him, with his disheveled and rough appearance.

With a quick jimmy, he popped open the lock and swung the door wide to reveal...a policewoman, a pretty hot one too. Well, at least she was truthful about that part, but he still didn't trust her in the slightest.

"Come inside," he said gruffly, turning his back to her as he shouldered inside the room to give her space to get in before plopping himself back down in his swivel chair, smirking slightly to try to distract her from the extreme fear pulsing in his eyes. "So, Officer Colson, what info do you want? You don't look like one to beat around the bush, so let's hop to it."
yea bro idk

Confederation of the Equator
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederation of the Equator » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:22 pm

[minecraft villager sound]
Last edited by Confederation of the Equator on Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
where the fuck is my ground support

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Sam Croft/Blizzard
4 August, 8AM

Scanning the faces in the room, Sam spotted the Freedom Fighters' Skydiver. Right, one familiar face. Time for breakfast. He stood in line with the other supers, and looked over the choices. Good super food: lots of calories for a busy day chasing off Wolfie! Ooooh, breakfast steaks! Naja thought of everything! He filled his plate: eggs, pancakes, fruit, and a few of the steaks. They weren't very good steaks, but they beat bacon any day.

He carried his plate over to where Skydiver was sitting, then set down the plate opposite Skydiver. The man looked up at him, fork stopped half-way between plate and mouth, trying to place Sam's face. After a long second, the light of recognition went on behind his eyes. "Blizzard! Long time! Siddown!" Sam obliged as the New York hero went on. "Whatcha been up to? Still building your own gear, or did you find a better supplier?" The last was pure teasing.

Sam gave him a crooked smile. "Some of both. I'll have to introduce you to a couple of Naja's teens. One builds some amazing stuff. But it was some of my own work that got us some real dirt on Wolfie-- Warwolf." That got Skydiver's attention and he stared eagerly at him, waiting for him to go on. "Yeah, the email chains that prove they've been deliberately stepping on our rights. The Young Bloods did more of the heavy lifting, but the litany of rights violations sealed the deal. Made the city's contract with Warwolf illegal.

"And depending on what Naja's thinking of, I may have part of a battle plan for today." His smile widened, but he refused the clarify. "Not gonna steal my own thunder.

"Anyway, what brings you to the West Coast?"

Skydiver made a dismissive wave. "Eh, you know how it is: for some custom jobs, you just have to talk to the suppliers directly, video chat won't do. I was up in Silicon Valley yesterday, then flew down the coast for some site-seeing in SoCal. The Stars clued me in, so here I am."
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 12, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 pm

Segral wrote:Snip

Quite the hectic morning, with all the superheroes he saw running around the Tower, and quite the massive spread of food to go with it. Some of which he was gleefully helping himself to. Well, he was until Carter came out of nowhere and startled him, almost making him drop his drink and make a mess. It didn't help that he was already on edge from seeing all the "professional" heroes mingling without issue. "Don't..." He took a deep breath "Do that when I'm eating!" He said and smiled a bit once he'd calmed down a bit. Carter noted that Wyatt wasn't feeling particularly sociable with all of the heroes that he could easily start a conversation with. Carter on the other hand, seemed pretty excited as he name dropped one of the heroes and pointed him out

He replied with a shrug. "I don't know. I just really don't have much or really anything to ask them. I was never really into the whole superhero thing growing up honestly." He admitted. "My only real investment with it is... Well, this whole Young Bloods thing, which is pretty recent. I know pretty much nothing about any of these heroes." He did catch several of them sneaking a look at him, hopefully that was just because he was an oddity and not something malicious. "That, and I'm still thinking about this whole squad slash team leader thing. Spirits only know why she put me in charge. Renata's still grumpy about not getting her own squad and I think she resents me for it, I haven't even SEEN Red the last few days, I think he's avoiding me intentionally. Harley's Harley, I barely know Mars but he's pretty relaxed, and that leaves you." He said, putting his arm around Carter's shoulder. "And I know you the best."

"Safe to say that it's not been the strongest of starts." He admitted. "Red and Renata probably trust me about as far as they can throw me. They keep it up and I'll make the friggin' dog my second in command."

Aidannadia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aidannadia » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:41 am

Finland SSR wrote:"First, that's my real name, and second... i-it doesn't have any symbolism or anything, it's terrible! Aaaahhhh!"

"Well, I'll introduce myself as Tadeo if it will make you feel more comfortable." He chuckled to himself and considered his own monicur.

"Well, if you don't come up with one yourself, I'm sure something will get stuck to you soon enough. I know I didn't always like El Gran Hechicero when it was first was used, but it's grown on me." He sighed, and then made a strange gesture with his hand, pulling up a translucent portal through which a small phone, an older model with dust accrued on its keys. Tadeo blew on the screen and shook it before it powered on.

"When I first got recorded as a hero, sometimes it doesn't always translate to mundane eyes the right way and well...." He pressed play on the keys and a video showed of him, in a purple costume, doing what seemed like an interpretive dance in the middle of a mall, eventually ending with him hitting a tree and falling into a fountain.

"People find it funny. And looking back, it is sort of funny." He smiled to himself. "But over time, as people began to understand who I was, I felt more comfortable in the title. People made me their 'great and powerful wizard' and at the end of the day with the way the world is, they need someone to laugh at."

"So, I'm sure whatever name you end up using, you'll find a name that suits you fine." He nodded, trying to be somewhat comforting. "And Mizuma is a fine enough name to introduce yourself to anyone, let alone some gassy giants." He waved his hand as the pair began to close in on the room where the rest of the squad was holed up.

Solisian Union
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Solisian Union » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:39 am

The Rebel Alliances wrote:
Scott Green-Wonder Tower-July 30th

I gave a weary smile. "Yeah..." I droned out patting the top of the car. "The Killcar is just a little bit much." I responded as she stepped out of the car and revealed herself. She looked casual enough, honestly given her choice in transportation for the date I had expected her to be wearing a gas mask or something. After mentioning that she was not the biggest fan of public transportation which honestly I could understand. She started walking in a random direction before asking nervously which direction the bus stop was in. I then pointed in the direction of the only way on or off the island. The long bridge.

"It would be that way, it's gonna be a bit of a walk. So we have some time to chat. Bus stop is on the other side of the bridge."

As we started to move in a casual pace towards the bridge and bus stop I noticed just how...what was the word? Uneasy Elle seemed about this whole thing? I didn't think it was possible but she nearly seemed more inept in a social situation than I did. It was honestly fairly amusing, after all through our conversation of sci fi writers on the way to the bus stop Ellery was not nearly what I had expected her to be given her edgy alter ego. But even as we had surface level conversation while walking briskly there were deeper thoughts in the back of my mind.

When I had first received the invitation from Renata I had assumed wrongly it seems that she was interested in me. And I had intended to politely set her down. After all, she was already aware of my interest in Shi. But then that is what made this whole scene crystal clear. She made it rather apparent that she and Shi did not get along. I did not think much of it at first but now it appears as if she had taken it upon herself to play match maker. And I guess she had some pull with Elle.

Now despite the disaster of a greeting she gave with the killcar and megaphone Elle seemed sweet enough and it appeared as if we did share some common interests. After all, we are on our way to a comic book shop in downtown. But that doesn't change the issue. I am certain Renata has good intentions with all of this but ultimately it tells me that she does not respect me enough to decide who I am interested in. It has to be someone she likes it seems. Rather than stay out of it or even try and get to know Shi, she immediately started plotting another date for me. Finally arriving at the bus stop just in time to see it approaching from up the road I reminded myself that I was going to have to talk with Renata about this. I willbe giving Elle my attention today because she deserves that much, after all I am sure this was not her idea. But I just hope she does not get hung up on me.

"There is the bus now. Perfect timing Elle." I mused as the bus pulled up next to us and the hissing sound let out as it stopped and opened the door and I allowed Ellery aboard first. I promtly paid the bus fare for the both of us as I found us two empty seats.

"Don't worry, public transport is not that bad. One question though, do you prefer a window seat or aisle?"

Jill Colson/Peacekeeper-Downtown-August 2nd

Kabuto was right, his lines held and we were on the top floor in no time at all. Rather than just immediately climb through the open window I pulled out a small camera cable from my utility and slowly placed it inside allowing me to confirm that the coast was indeed clear. After I saw that it was I pulled myself inside and then held a hand out for Kabuto to follow suit. I then switched my cowl over to thermal so that I could see everyone in the rooms ahead. Realizing that one man was making a move for the hallway door I made a silent hand motion for Kabuto to make himself scarce as I placed myself just beside the door in the blind spot as the thug opened the door, closed it behind him and walked right past me.

I moved quickly wrapping my arms around him in a sleeper hold with a hand over his mouth to muffle any noises or cries for help as he struggled against my grip. The man put up a good fight but within a minute he was slumping down in a heap and I layed his head on the cleaned carpet before standing above him and catching a glimpse of his wet pants.

Perfect...he was going to the bathroom. With a quick signal to Kabuto I started to pull the soiled man down the hallway and out of sight before finally dusting my hands off and turning to my young apprentice.

"Well since he was going to the bathroom we have a couple minutes before anyone comes looking for him. Here's the plan. I need you to tap into one of your bugs in the room in there. And identify this man." I then pulled out a photo of a slightly overweight man in his forties with a distinctive tattoo on the back of his left hand.

"He is your target. I am going to get to tthe breaker box and shut the lights off to his room. They certainly won't call the police. They should be easy to take down in the dark but I need this man awake when I get there to question him alright. I am sure he has important information on a case I am working." With time running out I left Kabuto to keep up his end of the plan as I made my way through the halls and found the breaker room Scanning the rows of switches I finally found the one for the room I was looking for.

"Lights out boys."

And with that, the signal was given to Kabuto to make his move.

Jill Colson/Peacekeeper-San Diego Hospital-August 3rd

Well it's been a few busy days. Me and Yasha were picking Paul up from the hospital and from the nurse reports they almost had to fight him to keep him here. Almost. Sounds about right he had mentioned going stir crazy from seeing the same white walls for so long. He still has a few more days of mandated rest before he can return to active duty though. As I approached the nurses counter I signed the papers releasing him from the clutches of the hospital. Then, walking into the room to see Paul pacing back and forth in fornt of his third story window as I cought sight of all of the flowers left around his bedside. Which, safe to say was not from the department.

"I see you are still popular with your lady friends. Oh, this has been my new partner, Yasha." I then turned to allow Paul an unabstructed view at Yasha.

"She works for the DMI, and will be working the case with me until it's concluded. Paul meet Yasha, Yasha meet Paul. You still have a few more days back home to look forward to right?" With that a nurse came in and informed me that I needed to sign a couple more papers. I then stepped out and allowed Yasha and Paul to introduce themselves further alone for a few moments.

Alexis Cain/Vendetta-Walt's Lab, Orion Base-August 9th

It felt....odd. To be wearing clothes that...well were not really clothes. Not odd in that it physically felt weird, but odd in the sense that I knew I was still technically naked. Covered by....machines I guess. I was not really sure of much at this point. He told me that I was in some fatal accident. And I tried to emember the accident, I really did but...nothing came to me. I slowly stood on my feet as I repositioned myself in front of a mirror. I thought maybe if I recognized my face...I may remember something. But instead...I didn't recognize myself. This man Walt...mentioned someone. Alexis Cain. Who was she? And why should I know her? I would have to ask him later. In the meantime the face staring back into me was one that was well...very white. Like...chalk white. From my hair to my skin. I then looked back over at Walt and noticed that he seemed to well, have more color to him.

I was about to turn away when an idea came to mind. If I could focus clothing into existence...then maybe. And just like that my own hair went from a snow white to a deep black. And a black spot covered my left eye. I wasnt't sure why I had chosen this look for myself but as It seemed to fit together alright.

Set as default appearance? I jumped back as I saw text over my line of sight asking me to set this as a default.
"Y...yes." I stammered, taken by surprise and knowing nothing else to say.

I then turned back to face the man whom had saved my life, Walt and was just about to ask him a barrage of questions.

"Purrrfect, the sleeping beauty rises." A cybernetic voice interrupted me as I scanned around, fairly literally and spotted what appeared to be...a cyborg cat.

"Thank you." The cat sneered a response.

"I was refurrring to myself you bipedal dalmation." I cast a sharp glare at the cat as the scientist stood up.

"Well, I see you have met your cat. She was in the same accident as you and I had the spare time to put her back together. I did not know her name so I have taken to calling her Calypso. Of course, feel free to use her old one if you can remember it." I thought to myself what it could have been as the kitten continued showcasing it's new powers of speech.

"I don't think so doctor, if I had a master she would certainly be better looking than...this." I could not beleve it, a cat was getting the better of me in verbal sparring. Seems she was awake first though, probably had more time to get her thoughts together. Walt put his hands up as he approached a table.

"As much as I would love to continue observing this reuninion there are more important tasks at hand." As he approached the cold table he picked up a very advanced looking weapon and passed it over to me.

Taking it from him, It actually felt....familiar. Which was nice. Not much else did right now. Holding it in my hands I aimed it from the shoulder as Walt then went on to tell me about a arms dealer who had stolen some of his weapons. A man going by Domineer. After he finished explaining the man whom I had no idea of he then turned to me and asked if I was ready to go and take him out.

"I'm sorry what?"

Walt did not seem to pleased with my response. But he masked his frustration and continued.

"You do remember how to operate one of those correct?"

I looked down at the weapon in my hands. I felt as if I did. But from what he was saying it sounded as if he wanted me to kill this...Domineer. And it just...felt wrong. "Walt, thank you for saving me but...you said I was in an accident. Not that I was a soldier or anything. I am not sure I..." The doctor raised a rand and his voice lightened with concern.

"Of course, I was afraid of this actually. But while you did suffer an accident you also worked to keep people safe. It's what motivated me to help you. Otherwise if I brought every unfortunate soul back to the land of the living well...even I can only do so much." Walt then turned on the news where I saw several reports on the Young Bloods and War Wolf. I then motioned to the YBs on television.

"You mean I helped people? Like them?" Walt sighed.

"Not exactly. You did a far more difficult service than they I am afraid. Work that is often not praised as theirs is but just as vital. You hunted dangerous men and women and ensured that they could never hurt no one again." I shut my eyes and tried to think of it. But the more I did the less I found. It was then that Walt simply pressed a button and several targets raised in the background.

"Go on, fire your weapon at the targets in the distance of the lab. I assure you no one will be hurt." Obeying I aimed the sleek rifle and fired, deliberately slightly off course. As the round corrected it's course and shredded through the target. He then passed a handgun over to me and then a rocket launcher then various grenades etc. After I was done with the shooting range there was nothing but devastation where the targets used to be.

"The weapons he stole were not those models exactly but many like them and all just as dangerous. He shares none of your moral character and the authorities are ineffective because of his connections. If he manages to sell those weapons...well a lot of people will die.

I stood there. Thinking of my options. I could agree and then go kill this man. Become a murderer myself in the hopes it does some good. Or I could decline, and he will sell the weapons and people will die. And standing here, he is asking me to stop him. I have the power to do so, or so he tells me. If I turn him down, Its as if I killed all of the potential innocents.

"What if we tell the Young Bloods and-"

"The YBs are in a mess themselves. With War Wolf surrounding them as we speak and it seems...that not even all of them can be trusted." He then turned on a news article from some days ago informing me that a girl named Wendy, a criminal had been calling the YBs home since the beginning. "Look, it seems I have put too much on you too soon. I'll just have to hope someone capable-"

"Wait...I'll do it. I just want to know one thing."

He turned, seemingly satisfied.

"Anything."

"What is my name?"

Jill Colson/Peacekeeper-Cafe, Downtown-August 12th

I entered the cafe along with Bu and found a table. Hopefully this little test interview goes well, if it does I may get him to invite me over to the Tower. I could probably offer a ride. He seemed to be walking and at least thought I was attractive so he would likely agree. Sitting down in a back corner booth for some additional privacy I did not pull out any pads or pens because I wanted him to rest assured that this interview was indeed off the record. "Alright Mr. Bu, I won't be using any recording devices, pads or pencils. So just treat it as a normal conversation." I opened while ordering a hot vanilla mocha from the waitress. As I waited a few moments for it to be delivered along with Bu's beverage before starting.

"Ok, I'll list off a brief series of questions and you just answer down the line. That should speed things up. And if you need me to repeat anything please just ask. Now, you are not only a new member of the YBs but a foreigner. So, how has your time here affected how you see super hero status in America? From what I understand our system is a bit different than many other nations. Also, do you have any goals for yourself while you serve in the Young Bloods? Anything personnel like attending school or finding work? Perhaps meeting bigger heroes? And the last question for now, there are several other groups operating in San Diego with stated missions to uphold the law and preserve peace. There is of course the Young Bloods, War Wolf and some even argue the Outriders." I stressed the last group and it was evident of my own feelings for the group of vigilantes but I was curious to see what a Young Blood thought of them. Maybe a younger mind would sympathize more.

"For the last question could you describe your thoughts on all the groups and what you think of their approach?" With that I gave him a few moments to collect his thoughts before closing.

"And because this is not a formal interview, feel free to ask me questions as a Police Officer as well if you like. It's only fair after all." With that I sat and sipped at my mocha as I waited for a response from the teenaged chinese hero.

Yasha Zarate the Filipino Sharpshooter

August 3 was eventful.

On that day, I met the old partner of Miss Jill Colson. It was very surprising for me to see what was inside a real American hospital. It was really not like the hospitals of my hometown. They were not like Maria Reyna; they were not like CUMC; they were not like Madonna; they were not like the provincial hospital, or any other hospital. The American hospital - this one, the one that Jill allowed me to come to with her - was one of the best hospitals I've ever seen.

The floors were clean; the walls were clean; the ceiling too was clean; everything else was clean. There was no sight of overflowing trash in cans and bags; there was no sight of anything that reminded me of the worst places to be if you were sick or injured. Even the comfort rooms were tidy! There was plenty of tissue rolls to use if you had to take a shit or a piss; there was soap! There was clean water that you could drink! Straight from the faucet! There was nothing like that in the Philippines.

And it made me sad. I frowned, and I kept my frown until I and Jill found our way into her old partner's room. I tried to turn my frown upside down, to look polite and friendly, but I failed because of the weight of the reminders, of those things that made me think about, feel about the things I've done and gone through; to have fought in my own country I thought it would have been something that made me proud. I wasn't proud right now.

Something was wrong, perhaps.

I did my best to get my head out of my ass, and I smiled at Paul. But Paul probably could see through me; I never was good at hiding my displeasure. I extended my hand towards Paul, shook his hand, and told him:

"I am Yasha. Yasha Zarate. Please just call me Yasha. It's great to see that you are okay, Paul."

^_^

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:50 pm

The Great Floyd Tolson / Johnny Swift, the Speed Demon!

God knows when

Floyd’s motorcycle stopped by a shabby, but nevertheless comfortable suburban home, parking itself right in front of the path leading towards the front door of the house. After thinking to himself for a few seconds, the swordsman turned off the bike’s engine, kicked down the leg and stepped off. The home of none other than Johnny Swift, his busy mom, and his Vietnam vet father.

A part of Floyd’s mind was still really, really unsure about this. He and Johnny had basically become sort of alright with each other at this point, that much was true - though all the stuff they went through with the party and the Weirdo Clique together ended inconclusively, the later battle against Earl Grey to stop that rich bastard from blowing up a mall as a really extreme version of land clearance… well, it was fun. Even if he had to save Johnny’s ass there more often than not, the exchange with Grey’s robot butlers and then the swordsman himself was a whole barrel of excitement. You don’t get to fight someone with swordsmanship skills on the same tier as yours, after all, with time pausing powers to boot. On the other hand… This was still Johnny Swift he was talking about. The awkward teenager with such a powerful power and yet such little experience in using it.

However, for this mission, he needed a scout… someone able to quickly search out through entire sections of a city, and for such a mission, Johnny, as long as he does not screw up, should be perfect. That’s a pretty big if, but Floyd considered himself to be a man who’s willing to bet on such risky odds.

Placing his hands into his pockets, the swordsman casually strolled across the front yard of the home before finally stepping up to the wooden door and pressing the doorbell. Now, the only question left is… who’s going to answer the door first?

There was an uncomfortable pause after he rang the doorbell, followed by the sound of scuffling feet and muttering behind the door. It swung open with such speed and vigor one would expect from a speedster...only, this “speedster” was a middle-aged, gruff-looking man with graying black hair and a beer belly—someone who looked very much out of place in an otherwise affluent neighborhood.

It was Johnny’s father, alright: Kevin Swift, or, as his friends would sometimes call him, “Sanford.” Just by his casual attire alone—one old black Vietnam veterans jacket commemorating some mechanized Army unit, a white wife beater tank top, khaki shorts, and the legendary “socks and sandals” combo—one could assume he was either way too laid back with life or simply just unemployed, but neither was the case. He certainly looked the part, but things didn’t really add up when you factored in his family and home. Even his own son, the flamboyant screwloose speedster, was stupefied by the achievements of such a deceptively mellow man as his father. He had made a handsome living and managed to marry a successful Delta Pharmaceuticals worker, all without having to work at all… Just how much did the Army pay him to go over and fight in Vietnam?

Mr. Swift leaned against the door frame, a bottle of beer in his hand as he looked the Briton up and down, pointing at him with a finger as if he had the slightest sense of familiarity with the man. “You look way too old to be one of Johnny’s friends from school...and you’re way too early. Were you that one babysitter—nah..” He rolled his eyes, his voice trailing off for a moment. “Eh. Who’re you?”

The worse option. Had it was Johnny who opened the door, this would have been a lot simpler. Tell the jackass that Floyd needs his help, maybe pressure him a little, drive off. Now, the swordsman had to deal with the teen’s father, whom he got to witness for the first time in his life. And the first impression which Floyd received was far from a positive one, either.

Striking a faint smile towards Mr. Swift, the swordsman replied:

“My name’s Floyd, and yea, as shocking as it sounds, I actually am one of Johnny’s… friends.” Just saying that sentence left a slight touch of disgust in his mouth which Floyd desperately tried to hide. Since when is he friends with some random superpowered teenagers from Thomsen High? “Could I have him ‘ere for a minute? Maybe more?”

Mr. Swift scoffed, his otherwise indifferent frown transforming into a sly grin, as if this was the best news he had heard all day. “Hell, man, you can have ‘im. I can sit around all day and do cardio and kick as much dust bunny ass and watch as many NASL and football games and bigfoot videos as I want with a cold one, and I’ll still be happy. And, lemme tell you, Floyd,” he lowered his voice slightly, as if his son could hear him. “I get more shit done around here by myself than my lazy kid with frickin’ super speed powers and all the time in the world.” He shrugged his shoulders. “If he’s not back by midnight or somethin’, I’m coming for him myself. I’d hate to miss my Song of Heroes episode. I’m on Season Two!”

Whatever that meant, Mr. Swift didn't bother to extrapolate on that last cryptic remark of his regarding “coming for him myself.” He turned around towards the living room and called over his son, who came over just as quickly as one would expect from a speedster. Johnny’s brown eyes, for once not covered up by aviators, were as wide and glowing as a little kid’s who had arrived at Disneyland for the first time. “You two have fun..or something. Don’t hang around those crazy thugs at the Condemned District.”

Before he could protest, Johnny was awkwardly nudged out of the door that closed behind him, leaving only him and his “friend from school” out in the front yard. Even Johnny wasn’t safe from the uncomfortable silence that ensued, clearing his throat as if to change the topic. “So.. Floyd.. What’s up, my man?” He cringed internally, holding an open hand out as if to greet him with a handshake or something.

“Well that was easier than I expected.” Floyd muttered under his breath, pulling out a cigarette from his pocket as he slowly walked towards his motorcycle and lighting it up. Johnny followed close behind, awkwardly dropping his hand as the handshake attempt failed. “Your paps isn’t all that friendly with ya, I presume. Not that I mind, he just saved a lotta trouble.” The swordsman released a puff of smoke to the side, clearing out his thoughts for a second before finally stating:

“Alright, here’s the deal. I’ve helped ya with your problems twice so far. First, I tagged along with you to be your punching buddy for Brock and finally those magic weirdos, and second, saved your ass against that bloody wanker in the mall. And, as surprising as it is for even myself, I need your help this time. Obviously, on my levels of escalation, not yours - so don’t expect just slapping down your usual superpowered quarterback, but I kinda need your powers in particular to deal with that shite. So, with that in mind - are you up for an afternoon in Riverside?”

The speedster’s elated mug collapsed once he was given the quick rundown. Riverside was like an hour away from San Diego and a hell of a run through the desert when you weren’t driving, and was relatively close to LA, where he used to live before moving to San Diego...thank god he was away from that traffic hell. He didn’t know what Floyd intended for them to do in Riverside, but if he followed the pattern of helping each other deal with super-powered baddies that scaled up in intensity with each foe...this meant Floyd had some less-than-savory friends of his own. Adult baddies. People like Earl Grey, who were dangerous and experienced—and that experience in the mall itself was intense. Barring the insane fact that the mall had set up Christmas trees and a full Santa in the summer, it showed him that Floyd was vulnerable..Johnny was vulnerable. He had a bad feeling about this one.

Hesitantly, Johnny looked back at his accomplice. “Uh.. Riverside? That’s kind of far away, man.. why exactly do you have to go all the way out there?”

Floyd hopped onto his motorcycle, ignoring to put on a helmet or any other necessary protection while driving. “Don’t worry, you ain’t gonna have to run all the way. I have us a ride and a friend waiting in a parking lot just outside the city. Just keep up with me while I’m driving out there, okay? As for why…

Igniting the engine of his motorcycle, Floyd sped across the streets of San Diego, with Johnny jogging along in tow. Alright, this one will take a bit more effort to explain:

“Okay, so, here’s the deal, Johnny,” Floyd began to speak to the teenager while keeping track of the road - his superhuman senses meant that he would have probably been able to respond to danger even if he basically ignored what’s in front of him, but it wouldn’t hurt to be sure. “Unlike you, Brock, or what have you, I didn’t get my powers just out of nowhere. I had to make a deal with a demon lord for him to grant me those - and, unfortunately, that guy’s a real asshole sometimes. Snuck in a whole bunch of terms to our agreement which I wasn’t informed of until the last second, and now I gotta do stuff for him every once in a while. Got dragged down to Hell once to fight in a war on his side, and now he wants me to help track down and kill a rebellious demon somewhere in Riverside. So yeah, have you ever played any Fawkes games? That’s basically what we’re gonna be doin’ over here.”

Initially, Johnny almost stopped running there to laugh his ass off at Floyd’s story, but knowing the type of stuff the Weirdo Clique were into, it didn’t seem too out of the ordinary. Hell, even one of the NASL teams had a demon on the team, so Floyd might as well have been correct on that one. Johnny shook his head while maintaining a speed fast enough to keep up, but slow enough to not overtake the motorcycle entirely. “You’re joking, right? Buddy, I know I’m called the ‘Speed Demon’ and everything, but I’m no demon-killing machine like a Fawkes Blasko from that one comic.”

He shrugged his shoulders, as if expecting an answer. “Well, how the hell am I gonna do anything to a demon? I know I’m cool as fuck and all, but I haven’t ever fought a demon.”

Floyd snickered a little under his breath when he heard Johnny reference Fawkes Blasko in his defensive speech. Those comics and games were the jam when he was in his teenage years, enough of an edgy power fantasy to appeal to a weak, frustrated kid like he had once been. Johnny himself, unfortunately, was not ecstatic towards the prospect of fighting a demon, though Floyd definitely expected something in that ballpark to come from the teenager’s mouth.

“Don’t worry, Johnny, you ain’t gonna need to be chippin’ away at a demon with those powers of yours.” the swordsman replied, suddenly taking a few sharp turns on the road, leaving the freeway towards Riverside he had been driving on for the last minute to instead aim for a parking lot next to a burger joint in the suburbs nearby. “But the thing is - Riverside’s pretty big and I haven’t been there more than a few times since coming down here. It’s gonna be a real pain to search through the whole city all by myself, so I figured I’d pick you up, cover a greater areat together. And if ya stumble upon this bloke when I’m not around, well, you’re an expert at running away and fetching your big brother, ain’tcha?”

Johnny laughed reluctantly, covering up his cowardice with sarcasm, as usual. “Yup. They won’t even hit me.”

Floyd’s motorcycle stumbled upon reaching the designated parking lot - completely empty and barren except for a single dull grey minivan standing in one of the spaces. The swordsman leaped off his bike, letting it stumble and crash to the side, and landed on his feet, smirking and stating:

“That’s gonna be our ride. I figured it’d be sweet if we got our own Mystery Machine van for this demon-busting quest - I woulda sprayed it with a logo, too, but...”

“All of your proposed designs would have immediately alerted Mithrael of your presence, yes.” a feminine voice suddenly called out across the parking lot. Immediately after, the back door of the van opened up with a kick, revealing a white-haired woman with an extravagant dress and similarly pompous stance, her arms folded and eyes glaring towards the duo of misfits.

“Any more than looking like an eighteenth century time traveller?” Floyd shot back, to which the woman immediately responded:

“Two hundred years isn’t that much of a difference...” Leaving Floyd snickering under his breath, the woman turned her eyes towards his partner. “This is who you’ve brought for this mission? From the way you advertised him to me, Floyd Tolson, I expected a legendary warrior with at least a century of demon hunting experience.”

“And I ain’t wrong one bit. Well, minus the experience part. Still workshopping that.” Floyd turned towards Johnny next, opting to introduce the two of his allies in this mission to each other. “Alright. Johnny, meet Meridiana, she’s gonna be our boss in this mission. Meridiana, meet Johnny. He’s the Speed Demon I was talkin’ about.”

Meridiana raised her eyebrow. “I still haven’t heard of such a species of demons before...”

I can show you why they call us ‘Speed Demons’ Nice to meet you.” Johnny coughed. “So, uh, what’s up with this guy, exactly? I kinda want to know what I’m getting into before we..” His voice trailed off as he noticed the two pairs of eyes looking straight at them. “Uh, yeah. I can fight. Who is it again..Mithril-no, Mithrael? Yeah. He sounds like a punk who won’t stand a chance.”

Floyd and Meridiana turned towards each other - and while the former was snickering to the point of almost giggling like a girl, the other’s face looked like they had just gotten pranked, and in a really nasty way.

“What’s so funny. You don’t know what you’ll be dealing with, either.”

“Oh, no, I’m not laughing at that, no...”

Sighing and assuming this was yet another one of the mortal swordsman’s hijinks which she couldn’t crack at a glance, Meridiana turned towards Johnny and spoke:

“No, Mithrael is not one of those human punks which you are speaking of, he is one of the demon lieutenants of Beelzebub’s army, who’s broken all ties with his overlord and somehow managed to slip to the mortal realm. Did you… really think a punk is what you’ll be dealing with?”

“Honestly, yeah.” Johnny said rather bluntly.

“Mary, Mary, stop taking everything so literally. I’ve seen punks stronger than your demon lads, anyway,” Floyd muttered, calming down after his fit of laughter, then took a few steps towards the trio’s “Mystery Machine”. “We ain’t gonna get nowhere if we just stand around chit-chatting. There’s only one seat with a cushion, so you better hurry.”

“My name’s not Mary, it’s-” Meridiana tried to protest, but quickly got shut down by Floyd:

“And Meridiana’s not a bloody real name.”

The white-haired woman took a deep sigh, then turned towards Johnny. “How do you… even manage to work with this man? I’m pretty sure he’d think a ‘command’ is a type of food.”

The speedster shook his head as he made his way into the van, making sure to settle down on the nearest available seat with caution for fear of breaking something like a bone. “You should ask him that same question about me. Don’t worry about it, though.” He stood up from the seat and tried to sit back down in it to grab a better position, but it just felt like sitting in a dreaded desk at school. Thomsen high was notorious for its uncomfortable seats in its classrooms, but at least this one here was cushioned. “Y’know, if we could beat some deadbeat noble guy that had exploding teacup grenades and a time-stopping watch, I don’t see why some ‘demon lieutenant` is a problem. He’s a punk.” He made sure to make a funny face and use a cartoony voice when air-quoting those two words. “Demon punk, snobby punk, athletic punk, they’re all the same.”

“Hey, that was a serious question! And don’t take my-” Meridiana exclaimed, running after Johnny, but as soon as her feet touched the floor of the open space inside the minivan, the vehicle suddenly roared and drove backwards, forcing the white-haired woman, who was still unfamiliar with this new form of hers, to lose balance and fall on her chest. Floyd was in the driver’s seat, and he was all decked out for an adventure in demon hunting - his sword was now lying sheathed next to his seat and hard rock covers were playing from a memory card in the van’s music player. The back door of the van closed shut, the long road towards Riverside now stretched before them, and Meridiana, after grumbling a little under her breath and soon witnessing that the seat she had made ready for herself was now taken by the human teen, sat down on the floor, shuffling boxes of equipment lying around her.

“Floyd Tolson… was this kid joking when he just mentioned who the two of you fought?”

“Not one bit. He didn’t mention the robot butlers, though.” the swordsman replied nonchalantly, not even bothering to turn his head over the driver’s seat and instead sliding his hand across his hair while looking at a nearby car mirror. “You kinda look like that bloke, actually. Just genderbent.”

“Maybe I should snap a picture and send him a postcard while he’s still in jail.” Johnny snickered. “Nah. I wouldn’t do that.”

“A-anyway...” the white-haired woman muttered under her breath, folding her arms and turning towards Johnny. “Mithrael is a demon who once served Beelzebub, but grew too strong for his own good. He was always on good terms with my grandfather, but not Beelzebub, so I’d suspect that he had something to do with inciting this rebellion… whatever is the reason, though, he’s now travelling across humans, planning to gather followers and incite chaos, and Beelzebub wants him removed from the equation as soon as possible. You’re free to kill, maim, and ignore collateral damage as long as you kill the demon which needs to be killed.”

“I mean. If you want Riverside’s whole hero community on your back while you’re out there,” Floyd added his own thoughts. “On the other hand, how much is that? Three blokes and a cab?”

“Demons do not show up in the mortal world in their real forms unless they are truly sure of their safety and that no supernatural forces are on their back. Otherwise, they either project themselves as illusions, or mask themselves with human disguises.” Meridiana continued, ignoring Floyd’s comments. “I cannot sense their energy while they are disguised, but I’ve enchanted several of your mortal items to be able to uncover Mithrael’s disguise if projected upon them. Your task, Johnny Swift and Floyd Tolson, will be to search through the city and use these things to find our target, then eliminate it.”

Meridiana stuck her hand into one of the boxes and pulled out a dollar store flashlight, its frame engraved with red glowing marks and symbols, then tossed it towards Johnny. It had already been turned on, and the light coming out of the bulb fell on the woman, revealing her true identity to be that of a fiery-haired, winged and scantily clad succubus.

Johnny gawked upon the sight for a moment, then shook his head and cut off the light. Crimson flushed to his face as he set aside the flashlight slowly, eyes darting around the van. “Okay, uhh.. I see now. Yeah. I see.”

He turned to the Brit driving the truck, awkwardly looking away from the demoness that was otherwise pretty much naked beneath that disguise of hers. “Soooo… Floyd. How long has, uh, this been a thing?” He subtly stuck a thumb out to Meridiana, making no effort to even try and be more discreet with it.

Floyd glanced towards the back of the truck through his back mirror, trying to keep attention on the road - but only a single glimpse and the memory of what the demoness had been talking about earlier was enough to discern what happened here. Meridiana said that she enchanted a bunch of items, including a flashlight, to be able to show the true form of demons behind their disguises, she gives one to Johnny, and now Johnny was awkwardly looking away from her and asking on how long she has been that way. Floyd snickered under his breath at the thought and replied:

“I dunno, man, how many years would you give to Satan’s granddaughter?”

”Don’t bother answering, your notion of age does not make much sense among demons.” Meridiana added. Her expression didn’t betray a feeling of being bothered with Johnny’s reaction - for a succubus like her, this was a part of the routine rather than something out of the ordinary.

“And don’t worry about her either. She sucks at her job.” Floyd added, to which Meridiana immediately lashed out:

“What?! No, I don’t!”

“Seducing an incel teenage NEET doesn’t count as proof.”

“I’m offended.” Johnny faked a sense of shock just to mess with them. “But.. now I’m intrigued. How does a succubus manage to suck at their job? I thought those fat ugly bastards that sit on their computers all day, roleplaying as colorful horses and debating about superheroes, are like the bottom of the barrel...but they still got needs, man. Y’know?”

“Damn it, why do you people-” Meridiana tried to shoot back and dispel some notions, but the words in her mouth got stuck when Floyd offered his thoughts:

“Ya thinkin’ of the wrong people, Johnny. The fatasses glued to their computer screens have plenty of vices already, mostly related to jacking off to underage anime girls, so who the hell would need to seduce them? Think of the goody two shoes of the world, and the lengths you need to go to have those bastards slip up.”

“Oh, would you look at that,” the succubus exclaimed in a sarcastic tone. “Mister visits Hell for a grand total of five hours and he already acts like he’s all-knowing about the underworld.”

“But I was right, wasn’t I?” After poking the erupting termite nest which Meridiana was at this point, Floyd glanced towards Johnny for a second. “You don’t happen to know any good parking spots in Riverside, do you? The last thing I wanna do while demon-hunting is pay for parking, y’know.”

The speedster reached back into his photographic memory for a second, flooded with happenings and images of LA and San Diego, but nothing reminiscent of Riverside. Practically the only thing he could remember was some restaurant his family stopped in while on a road trip somewhere, but even then, he couldn’t recall things like street names or buildings.

Johnny shook his head. “Nah. I don’t have anything. Sorry, man.”

“Shite...” Floyd cursed underneath his breath. The road sign informing that the van has entered the limits of Riverside passed by, the first of the suburban houses of the city entering their field of vision. It wasn’t going to be too long before they finally have to come to a halt. “Guess it’s plan B then.”

“What’s the problem? Just leave the car anywhere you want.” Meridiana offered her thoughts.

“Yeah, and then someone will have to stay and watch before some bastard locks this car’s wheel.”

“...So?”

“And that’s a bother.”

After leaving the freeway and passing through street after street, the van finally pulled up in a lengthy boulevard, a line of trees dividing it in the middle and hundreds of civilians passing by on the sidewalks in each side. The boulevard was littered with shops and food joints, and even had a few clearly old and pristine buildings sprinkled in among the modernist messes. The signs on the sidewalks clearly stated that parking was prohibited in the whole boulevard, but that only meant that there was less competition for space.

Floyd tossed a cigarette to his mouth and leapt out through the front door with his sword in his hands, pulling it over his torso to leave hanging on his back while he picked up an enchanted flashlight.

“Aight, here’s how this is gonna go,” the swordsman spoke up, turning towards Johnny and Meridiana. “See this boulevard over here, Johnny? I take everything to the left, you take everything to the right? Search through the streets until you stumble upon someone clearly looking demonic. Try to… not run away completely, then, as much as your instincts want you to. Else we’re gonna lose the trail of him - try messaging me instead and wait for reinforcements. Oki doki?”

The speedster nodded, tossing the flashlight up into the air and catching it. “Sounds like a plan.”

“Wait, what about me?” Meridiana suddenly spoke up.

“Try to make sure nobody drags away this van while we’re not here.”

“I was the one who summoned this van for you, you idiot! Why are you even attached to it?”

“Hey, it was a gift, more than I’d ever expect from you, of course I’d treasure it.”

Bolting off from them, Johnny notably took a much slower pace than his usual top speed, evidently putting his track team and agility skills to the test with intermittent stops, “excuse me”’s, and flashing of his light. So far, nothing promising, though the crowd seemed to be getting even denser by the second.

Floyd and Meridiana’s eyes trailed off after the speedster as he ran straight to the nearest crowd and diligently following up on the task granted to him. Far from everyone enjoyed a random stranger pushing past them and flashing a light in his hands towards them, but nobody seemed willing to call him out on it, especially as he maintained a swift pace instead of stopping by anyone on his way for too long.

“You know, now that I see him go,” Meridiana opened up, leaping onto the rooftop of the team’s “Mystery Machine” and dangling her legs off of it. “He hardly looks like he’s reached maturity for a mortal. Did you really think someone like him would be any help against one of the strongest lieutenants in Beelzebub’s command?”

“Not necessarily, but the kid’s got some guts. And a superpower some people could kill for. As long as he manages to make use of both, he won’t be that much of a bother. And...”

“And what?”

“And you never told me how strong this Ishmael guy is, anyway.”

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse