NATION

PASSWORD

Coastal Daytona Academy: A High School RP [CLASSROOM|DEAD]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Coastal Daytona Academy: A High School RP [CLASSROOM|DEAD]

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 am

WELCOME TO COASTAL DAYTONA ACADEMY!
Classroom

OOC-Thread | IC-Thread | >>>Classroom-Thread<<< | Special Events-Thread

Note: Please DO NOT post in the in-character thread until your character has been officially approved.

"I realized if you can change a classroom, you can change a community; and if you change enough communities, you can change the world." -Erin Gruwell

The school day schedule is listed below. As you have noticed, there is a fifteen minute break between classes. This is to encourage character-interaction between classes! The schedule is also a rotating one, in which students will have six classes. "But wait, there are only five class periods!" Says the observational one, to which they are correct! This is because one class "drops" each day. Here, allow me to illustrate for you:

7:30-7:45 (Homeroom)
8:00-9:00 (First Period)
9:15-10:15 (Second Period)
10:15-11:15 (Lunch)
11:15-12:15 (Third Period)
12:30-1:30 (Fourth Period)
1:45-2:45 (Fifth Period)
2:45 (Dismissal)
8:00-9:00 (Sixth Period)
9:15-10:15 (First Period)
11:15-12:15 (Second Period)
12:30-1:30 (Third Period)
1:45-2:45 (Fourth Period)
8:00-9:00 (Fifth Period)
9:15-10:15 (Sixth Period)
11:15-12:15 (First Period)
12:30-1:30 (Second Period)
1:45-2:45 (Third Period)
8:00-9:00 (Fourth Period)
9:15-10:15 (Fifth Period)
11:15-12:15 (Sixth Period)
12:30-1:30 (First Period)
1:45-2:45 (Second Period)
8:00-9:00 (Third Period)
9:15-10:15 (Fourth Period)
11:15-12:15 (Fifth Period)
12:30-1:30 (Sixth Period)
1:45-2:45 (First Period)
8:00-9:00 (Second Period)
9:15-10:15 (Third Period)
11:15-12:15 (Fourth Period)
12:30-1:30 (Fifth Period)
1:45-2:45 (Sixth Period)
*Repeat*

CLASSES IN-SESSION:
American History with Gregory Orville (Juniors)
Last edited by Imperial Esplanade on Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Busy, but I check TGs often.
Imperial Esplanadian Constitution [WIP]

New Orleans, Louisiana.
Nation Weebly/Wiki - Coming Soon
The Land of the Free - Admin Assist.

But the Lord stood by me, and gave me strength. (2 Timothy 4:17)
One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory. (Rita Mae Brown)
SAINTS | PELICANS | TIGERS | PRIVATEERS

The Free Territory of Makhnovia
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Gregory Orville walked into the classroom, in his dark gray suit carrying a cup of coffee in one hand and his suitcase in another. The class was silent as he sat down and opened the clasps on his briefcase to take out text of his lecture. He turned on the PC and projector and as system booted up he opened up a presentation. The title of the presentation said:

WESTWARD EXPANSION AND THE CAUSES OF THE CIVIL WAR

"Morning, class" Orville's voice was raspy and pleasant. "in this course we will be covering the Civil War end the events that had caused it and that were caused by it. Now, when we talk about events caused by the Civil War, we may as well say that this is the cornerstone event of the modern American identity. America as we know it today, was probably created on the bloody fields of Gettysburg. Of course we historians don't like single explanations and US identity was influenced by multitude of factors, but for some reason, we as humans, like to remember conflicts as defining of a certain situation, while forgetting the processes that were instrumental to those conflicts. Where your boyfriend or girlfriend dumps you, you tend to remember and romanticize the break-up as a terrible traumatic event. Most of the tiny little things that maybe lead up to it, tend to get forgotten.

Therefore, our first lecture will be about things that led to the Civil War, but first we need to discuss something you're probably familiar with, if for no other reason than because you played those "Oregon trail" games. It's Westward expansion. This started basically at the moment first white settlers came to America. Due to the lack of fertile soil and demographic expansion in 17th and 18th century, trade and agriculture were moving further and further inlands. But however, it was not until the first half of the 19th century that the colonization of the West became the ideological imperative. "

He clicked to bring the image on the projection screen.

"This is "American Progress". It's a picture made by John Gast that dates from 1872. Of course by then, the Civil War was over, but imperative of expansion still remain. It was one of those long-term processes I was telling you about, class. Can you look at the picture and give me some ideas as to which were the main ideas of westward expansion according to Gast? Oh, but bear in mind that John Gast is a man of the establishment. He is not some kind of rebellious painter- he is as mainstream as Dua Lipa. Even more, since he is the white male in 19th century. So after you tell me what are the main ideas, you're gonna answer my second question: "What is Gast leaving out of the story?"

Who's gonna go first?" Orville looked around the class.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Mr. Gregory Orville's Class (American History)
Sophia Taylor

Bit of an awkward silence had ensued, once Mr. Orville had finished his opening spiel, and Sophia looked around to see if anyone had their hands up, or looked like they were at least willing to answer. She waited for another second or two to pass before electing to be the first one to speak. She was a tad nervous, but had a fair idea as to what happened as build-up to the American Civil War after years of having similar conversations and bits of information drilled into her head repeatedly.

"Uh, well I think he might have wanted to show that we were fulfilling, what's it called? Manifest... Destiny, I think it is?"

"And Lady Liberty, representing America, might also represent the spreading of freedom, while pushing away natives to tame the land and and settle on it."

She then paused, looked intently at the picture for a moment, and shrugged her shoulders as she contemplated the answer to the follow-up question. Sophia quickly glanced down at the name, stated at the bottom, to recall it prior to answering.

"Slavery?" Sophia asked questionably. "It was a big deal, with some states having slaves and others didn't. Looks like he completely left it out."

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Orville smiled: "You're right Miss Taylor on all of your assumptions. Only thing you didn't guess correctly is the representation of female figure. She's not Libertas, which is a Latin term for Lady Liberty, but Columbia. Personification of America. The difference is subtle but a it's a difference nonetheless. Anyone with anything to add?"

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 am

Megan Carrollton

"So, Mr. Orville, what's with the light-and-dark thing, on opposite sides of the picture?"

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 am

Orville looked pleased at Megan's question: "It's splendid that you noticed it. You see, the West was regarded as area that needs to be civilized. Now in line with romantic ideas of early USA, civilization is supposed to bring light to the darkness of the West. However things on the East weren't so... enlightened. There was a core dichotomy in the East, something Thomas Jefferson had named "a dark stain". This dark stained made this ideological notion seem hypocritical and some of the people who believed in the utopian idea of Manifest Destiny were aware of this stain."

He leaned his massive frame onto the desk: "In 1848, as you have probably learned, USA won a war against Mexico, war which resulted in new territorial gains in the West. Ralph Waldo Emerson said the following after the peace treaty was written:

" The United States will conquer Mexico, but it will be as the man swallows the arsenic, which brings him down in turn. Mexico will poison us."

"What was the poison USA had swallowed with the victory? What was the dark stain of the Eastern US that was conveniently left out of this picture? Miss Sophia said correctly that it was slavery. The question that remained was whether slavery will be expanded into the newly acquired territories. But there is another question that I'd like to put forward for you to consider. America was built on principles of personal freedom. Then how it was possible for slavery to survive this long into 19th century? What was the problem? In what way was South of the US different? We're in the South now and I am a Northener and I don't seem that different to you, do I?" he smiled.

"Who can tell me: what was different about slave-holding states?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Taking the answers for some of the students Orville kept on: " You see the idea of the United States had less to do with single unified identity. The very course new country wanted to take was contentious and there was no ideological precedent to the type of society American politicians and voters aimed to build. One strong division was apparent from the start and it was actually, when you strip all of the ideological fanfare from it economical in nature. It boiled down to this: should America seek its future in trade or agriculture? "Orville took a marker, and after fumbling with it wrote the words:

"TRADE"

"AGRICULTURE"

on the whiteboard and divided them with a line. He spoke to the students: "Who can tell me, what could have been some arguments for trade and what were those for agriculture?"

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:42 pm

The Free Territory of Makhnovia wrote:Taking the answers for some of the students Orville kept on: " You see the idea of the United States had less to do with single unified identity. The very course new country wanted to take was contentious and there was no ideological precedent to the type of society American politicians and voters aimed to build. One strong division was apparent from the start and it was actually, when you strip all of the ideological fanfare from it economical in nature. It boiled down to this: should America seek its future in trade or agriculture? "Orville took a marker, and after fumbling with it wrote the words:

"TRADE"

"AGRICULTURE"

on the whiteboard and divided them with a line. He spoke to the students: "Who can tell me, what could have been some arguments for trade and what were those for agriculture?"

Thursday, August 17th - History Class - Mr. Gregory
Jacques Fermin

The young man raised his hand, grateful to not be the only one who knew their history, or at least was interested in it. "Food. Everyone needs food." he stated simply. He knew more, cash crops, tobacco was half the reason that the slaves were even brought out of Africa. He wondered if anyone even knew what the industrial revolution was, or how much of the class nodded off in previous years. Jacques knew what it was like to be nothing more than an easy way to bum free info for the next test since he was the only one who even bothered to study.
Last edited by Danceria on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Danceria wrote:
The Free Territory of Makhnovia wrote:Taking the answers for some of the students Orville kept on: " You see the idea of the United States had less to do with single unified identity. The very course new country wanted to take was contentious and there was no ideological precedent to the type of society American politicians and voters aimed to build. One strong division was apparent from the start and it was actually, when you strip all of the ideological fanfare from it economical in nature. It boiled down to this: should America seek its future in trade or agriculture? "Orville took a marker, and after fumbling with it wrote the words:

"TRADE"

"AGRICULTURE"

History Class - Mr. Gregory
Jacques Fermin

The young man raised his hand, grateful to not be the only one who knew their history, or at least was interested in it. "Food. Everyone needs food." he stated simply. He knew more, cash crops, tobacco was half the reason that the slaves were even brought out of Africa. He wondered if anyone even knew what the industrial revolution was, or how much of the class nodded off in previous years. Jacques knew what it was like to be nothing more than an easy way to bum free info for the next test since he was the only one who even bothered to study.

Orville markered the words to the whiteboard: "Excellent. Population was exploding in 19th century and there was a growing need for food. Anything else?"

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Sophia Taylor

The brunette glanced over toward Jacques as he answered Mr. Orville's question, and then looked back at the whiteboard as the teacher had scribbled some words on it.

Sophia tapped her pencil against her notebook, thinking for a brief moment, and then spoke up once again as the room had fallen quiet for a few lingering seconds.

"Business opportunities."

"With the textile industry having grown in Europe, cotton made for an excellent revenue source for the United States in trading with the British, and others.

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Imperial Esplanade wrote:
Sophia Taylor

The brunette glanced over toward Jacques as he answered Mr. Orville's question, and then looked back at the whiteboard as the teacher had scribbled some words on it.

Sophia tapped her pencil against her notebook, thinking for a brief moment, and then spoke up once again as the room had fallen quiet for a few lingering seconds.

"Business opportunities."

"With the textile industry having grown in Europe, cotton made for an excellent revenue source for the United States in trading with the British, and others.

Friday, August 16th 2017- History Class - Mr. Gregory
Jacques Fermin

Well well well...looks like someone at least besides him was awake and attentive. Time to test to see if she was more than just someone who rattled off answers. Regurgitating information was one thing, understanding history was something else entirely. "But wouldn't that also fall under trade?" the young man interjected politely "Without cash crops like tobacco and cotton, people wouldn't have any reason to build factories to manufacture cigars, textiles...or employ people." As a European, and the grandson of immigrants himself, he had a unique outside in view of the United States and her history. Sure, modern day Europeans may sneer and scoff from their internet cafes, but flocks of their ancestors from all over came to America in the 19th century. Most of it stemmed from one reason. "Speaking of employment, agriculture is what many immigrants grew up doing. The population wasn't just booming because people had a lot of babies. Times were tough in the Old Country. Famine, war, disease. If you owned a farm, you owned land. You owned your fate. That's a dream as old as the Pilgrims themselves. Since there's a lot of lands now that the Natives were kicked out...more people would come from Europe who were farmers." He phrased in a way that he agreed with what the girl said, but added to it, rather than sounding like a snob.
Last edited by Danceria on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Sophia Taylor

Keeping her focus on the teacher, and on the whiteboard, Sophia had expected a follow-up to come from the teacher. Thus, when it came from a student, Sophia had been caught slightly off-guard, and unprepared to provide an immediate response.

"Uh." Sophia looked at Jacques, tad confused if he sought to simply discuss the topic or if he intended to open it up into some sort of a debate forum - and her being given the bait to start. She then nodded her head after listening some more, sensing an affable tone from the boy seated nearby, and looked back out toward Mr. Orville as she decided to partake, elaborating upon her own previously-given answer.

"Yeah, it would. Like I had said, trade with the British. But, some agriculture also opened up industry here in the United States. Didn't it?" Sophia asked, looking at Mr. Orville, before looking back at Jacques.

"New country, new world, new business opportunities for immigrants and locals both. Cash crops grown in the south by slaves, and sold to the people up who industrialized and manufactured things. It's like a cycle, but of business." Sophia explained, gesturing a circular motion with her hands as she spoke the final bit.
Last edited by Imperial Esplanade on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Friday, August 16th 2017- History Class - Mr. Gregory
Jacques Fermin

She seemed to handle herself well, but it seemed like everyone wanted to start small. That was fine, it was the start of the year, but he would dare to show off, just a little bit. Not to disrespect anyone, but to show that where some people were good at maths or gym, Jacques was good at social studies. "Then, Mr. Oreyville, why do you say that the U.S. needed to choose one or the other?" he asked, with his voice getting more confident, his accent slipped out just slightly. Mimicking the circle motion made by the girl, he affirmed her point "If there's this good cycle going, why break it? If we're going off of just economics, choosing one or the other would cause you to lose out on something."
Obligatory Quotes below

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 am

"Indeed, you ask a good question. It is not that the US needed to choose one or the other. The US politicians believed they need to choose one or the other. It is really questionable if their arguments were more philosophical or economical in nature. Take Thoreau for example. You read "Walden" in your lit classes I assume? He tends to reject trade on both moral grounds, as something that leads to the downfall of moral character and on economical grounds, where he considers it too be too much of a risk. He sets out to prove man can live of his land solely, without need for business. One can also say there were...Matters of purely fiscal nature at hand. To farm the land, you only needed a lot of farmers and as you both have said, US had plenty of trade. Good trade required one thing, back then and that was either navy, or railroads. Some might say this was considered by politicians as a too expensive of an undertaking compared to the abundance of "free land" that waited for them on the West."
Last edited by The Free Territory of Makhnovia on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Sophia Taylor

Sophia picks up her pencil, quietly jots down notes while Mr. Orville talked on about the morality and the fiscal prudence of trading. She continued to do so, inscribing the final bits she wanted to record, and then glanced back up once he was done.

For being a junior-level high school class, it had certainly surprised her with how much engagement the teacher was having, and was enjoying the fact he respected the students to have such a discussion while treating them as intellectual-equals.

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Christopher Breckenridge

Chris hadn't really been paying too much attention when the lesson first started, instead idly glancing about the room and such. He was already pretty well versed in the course material, and he had done his fair share of reading on the matter in private. His dads were pretty well read in this sort of thing too, never skipping an opportunity to hit him with an impromptu quiz or two when he was getting cocky. Of course, the younger of his fathers was only recently an American citizen, which meant all the course material was fresh in his mind from the countless practice tests and extra lessons and all. A bit unfair.

Snapping back into class though, he decided to add something.

"I don't think the role of the railroad can be stressed enough when it comes to Westward Expansion." he started. "Especially given that you had government incentives for those companies to link as much track as possible to facilitate large-scale migration and settlement creation. It was an economic boon just as much as a societal or technological one."
Last edited by Vaquas on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Former Republican. Liberal Internationalist. Pick your battles.

Is the Hamburglar an insurrectionary anarchist? One who martyrs himself through the propaganda of the deed?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:03 am

"You're right, Mr. Breckenridge!" Orville thundered, pleased. He took out a notebook and jotted something in. "So westward expansion as something that was required by the needs of American agriculture and railroads that helped both expansion and commerce in this parts. But one big debate burned all across America while the project of Manifest destiny was undertaken. The land was wild and it was ripe for cultivation. But the idea of said cultivation diverged between South and the North. North wanted a land of free settlers who will invest in commercial and industrial undertakings as soon as possible. Vision of the South was best described by Thomas Jefferson who saw "yeomen farmers" are future of the West. Can you tell me who is the "yeaoman farmer of T. Jefferson?"

Another painting appeared projected on the whiteboard:

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am

The Free Territory of Makhnovia wrote:"You're right, Mr. Breckenridge!" Orville thundered, pleased. He took out a notebook and jotted something in. "So westward expansion as something that was required by the needs of American agriculture and railroads that helped both expansion and commerce in this parts. But one big debate burned all across America while the project of Manifest destiny was undertaken. The land was wild and it was ripe for cultivation. But the idea of said cultivation diverged between South and the North. North wanted a land of free settlers who will invest in commercial and industrial undertakings as soon as possible. Vision of the South was best described by Thomas Jefferson who saw "yeomen farmers" are future of the West. Can you tell me who is the "yeaoman farmer of T. Jefferson?"

(Image)

"They were the sort of family men who'd come over with their wife and kids and settle down on a small farm," Breckenridge responded. "Jefferson thought that the family unit was critical to the development of a society and the west was no exception. Once you had a community of these honest family farmers built up, you had America."
Democratic Nominee 2024

Is the Hamburglar an insurrectionary anarchist? One who martyrs himself through the propaganda of the deed?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:21 am

Vaquas wrote:
The Free Territory of Makhnovia wrote:"You're right, Mr. Breckenridge!" Orville thundered, pleased. He took out a notebook and jotted something in. "So westward expansion as something that was required by the needs of American agriculture and railroads that helped both expansion and commerce in this parts. But one big debate burned all across America while the project of Manifest destiny was undertaken. The land was wild and it was ripe for cultivation. But the idea of said cultivation diverged between South and the North. North wanted a land of free settlers who will invest in commercial and industrial undertakings as soon as possible. Vision of the South was best described by Thomas Jefferson who saw "yeomen farmers" are future of the West. Can you tell me who is the "yeaoman farmer of T. Jefferson?"

(Image)

"They were the sort of family men who'd come over with their wife and kids and settle down on a small farm," Breckenridge responded. "Jefferson thought that the family unit was critical to the development of a society and the west was no exception. Once you had a community of these honest family farmers built up, you had America."

"You said one right thing, but the other might be questionable. You were right about the family being perceived as main unit of society and enterprise by Jefferson, but remember Mr. Breckenrisge that Jefferson was Virginian. You said the yeomens would come with wife and kids. It is usually displayed in that manner in the romantic fiction of the 20th century. But so called "nuclear family" of blood relatives wasn't the only thing that the word "family" could indicate. There was another key element of the family unit South of the Mason Dixon line. Can you hazard to guess which one?

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:57 pm

The Free Territory of Makhnovia wrote:
Vaquas wrote:

"You said one right thing, but the other might be questionable. You were right about the family being perceived as main unit of society and enterprise by Jefferson, but remember Mr. Breckenrisge that Jefferson was Virginian. You said the yeomens would come with wife and kids. It is usually displayed in that manner in the romantic fiction of the 20th century. But so called "nuclear family" of blood relatives wasn't the only thing that the word "family" could indicate. There was another key element of the family unit South of the Mason Dixon line. Can you hazard to guess which one?

Caroline Strickland

Caroline Strickland raised her hand and spoke simultaneously, confident that she had the right answer.

History wasn't her best subject, but class hadn't been that awful so far.

"Slaves!"
Last edited by Vaquas on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 am

Vaquas wrote:
The Free Territory of Makhnovia wrote:

Caroline Strickland

Caroline Strickland raised her hand and spoke simultaneously, confident that she had the right answer.

History wasn't her best subject, but class hadn't been that awful so far.

"Slaves!"

"Exactly!" Orville smiles. " So, Yeoman farmer is in Southern states interpreted as a slave owner. In that regard slavery as a economic system should be made legal in newly acquired western territories. However, the North had different interests. They saw the pioneer as independent free man bringing progress and democracy to the western wilderness. Anti- slavery sentiment was already very strong in the North and the West was imagined as the land of new beginnings. So we have already two distinct visions of "Manifest Destiny"- one saw the future of the America as pastoral plantation of slave-owning yeoman farmer and the other saw it as a place where freedom loving man who conqueres the West reinvents the America as democracy once again.

The debate on slavery cannot be seen as distinct from territorial expansions and from American vision of its own identity. Identity of USA in the 19th century had two important aspects: first of them was "Manifest destiny" which is something we just explained. The other was "American exceptionalism". Those two ideologies often intertwine, which is something ideas in history always do." He stopped, thinking. "As someone who dedicated his life to cultural history, I know no idea develops on its own, like some kind of island."

He proceeded, turning another slide. This one was titled American territorial expansion and had an image underneath:

"Ah, this. Alright, before we deal with ideology of exceptionalism and its connection to narratives on slavery we have map of territorial expansions of the USA in the 19th century. As you can see, most of the new acquisitions were purchased. American Northwest was gained through treaty with United Kingdom, who wanted to avoid another war with USA and sacrificied this part of territory, while USA renounced its claim on Canada in return. Southwest and California were captured from Mexico, mostly through colonization and subsequent war. Mexican government at first encouraged settlement of Americans in the area of modern day Texas and New Mexico to protect its border against Comanche and Apache raids. Those frontierspeople, however wished their lands to be part of the United States which triggered Texan war of independence and, after USA decided to support their struggle, Mexican War. Of course, the war wouldn't have broken out if American administration didn't regard territorial expansion as imperative of their politics. Try to remeber those years and ways territories were acquired. I will put this map in your exam and you'll have to write up the years of expansion."

Orville turned another slide. It was titled "AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM " and it had four subtitles:

"RELIGIOUS"

"POLITICAL"

"SPATIAL"

"TEMPORAL"

"Now this might be hard to explain, but we have plenty of time, so don't get discouraged. You're already doing fine and you're very good at this, discussing at admirsble academical level so this won't be something we are unable to tackle. When I say that American Exceptionalism had religious component one famous sermon immediately comes to mind. Do you remember which one?
Last edited by The Free Territory of Makhnovia on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:29 am

Sophia Taylor

Sophia quietly sat, caressing the back of her head, and squinted her eyes as she mused over the mental exercise. There were, of course, many names that popped up in her mind as Mr. Orville suggested the idea of a religious component and a great itinerant preacher's famous sermon, among others, being a catalyst for what had been such a significant moment in American history. Johnathon Edwards and George Whitefield being the two big names, Joseph Bellamy being another.

And yet, Sophia seemingly struggled with connecting a particular sermon of any one of theirs, mostly due to the fact it wasn't a matter she had studied before, to the question posed to the class.

Thus, rather than spouting off a litany of names, and hoping a single one hits, Sophia quietly listens and awaits if anyone else offers an answer.
Last edited by Imperial Esplanade on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Christopher Breckenridge

"Well Jonathan Edwards' Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God is the quintessential example of the early American sermons of New England, though I'm not certain that's what you're aiming for." Chris responded, shrugging a little bit. "The sort of major emphasis on the spiritual torment awaiting sinners after death could certainly be tied to the intense desire to do what was deemed virtuous or important for these people at the time. That would certainly include territorial expansion, I would think."
Democratic Nominee 2024

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Orville looked kinda taken aback. At first deep furrows lined his bald forehead, but he nodded as he heard the explanation It was obvious he expected different answer, but was at the same time surprisingly satisfied with the one Christopher gave him:

"Once again you manage to surprise me with your out of the box thinging, Mr. Breckenridge. I was aiming for John Winthrop's "Model of Christian Charity" as a more obvious example, but your explanation of this one would certainly count as a satisfying one. Now, the puritan sermons are plentiful and their language is rich and litarary beautiful. Puritans preechers read a lot- not only Bible, but Homer, Shakespeare and Greek and contemporary philosophers as well. They wove they ideas into an intricate language and as they set asail to the New World, they believed this world will bring something different for them"

He moved onto the next slide. There was quote there, right under an image:

"This became one of the most quoted sermons in the history of US politics. J. F. Kennedy quoted it in 1961. Reagan quoted it on the eve of his election. So we might say this vision of religiously exceptional America is a bipartisan deal. Now, what does that quote tell us about our identity? Any opinions? As you had probably learned, there are no bad answers in this class...." Orville smiled.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 pm

Sophia Taylor

"That the formation of America is thought to be, in some ways, a projection of the Kingdom of Heaven here on Earth. Must be a play off that verse from Matthew: 'You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.' Which, without coincidence, came right after the Beatitudes, about how good and faithful Christians ought to live their lives."

"The thought that we can be that light, both collectively as a nation and individually as persons, has been one since, at the very least, people like John Edwards and John Winthrop have been speaking to this concept. The idea that we are that 'light' and that 'city on a hill' has even been used as justification for our political and cultural projection up to this present-day, all across the world. Like you said with Reagan and Kennedy, but certainly countless more."
Last edited by Imperial Esplanade on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Orleans, Louisiana.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse