NATION

PASSWORD

Sauria: Of Civility and Ambition (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 am

Ism wrote:Tag. Are we limited to a specific period for our Saurian progenitor species?

Nope. They may come from any period.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:52 am

Labstoska wrote:Would you like to have Teyrance come on the Imperial trade company's expedition to Earth as a diplomat.

I'd like that :)
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:01 am

If work goes by smoothly today I'll likely make this an official OOC and get the IC started.
Tomorrow is made today.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:33 am

As my character is essentially Steve Irwin, would you mind if I take some...liberties on the sorts of fauna he may encounter? Domesticated giant crabs? Enchidnas replacing dogs? Or do you have something in mind?
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Labstoska
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:42 am

What is the current level of technology on Earth and does Earth and Sauria have any kind of diplomatic relationship because I was planning on starting out with Xhotol sending a radio transmission to Earth. One last thing after the transmission between Xhotol and Earth would you mind if both our characters had a meeting in order to discuss the expedition.

Barapam
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Barapam » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:16 pm

SAURIAN
Character Name: Gunnar Eriksen (Convergent language evolution in this case)
Saurian Ancestry: Mostly raptors, but there's likely a Tyrannosaurus somewhere in the family tree too.
B.R.A.: Male
Physical Description:

Biography: Gunnar comes from a very patriotic family. Most men have served as soldiers, some even during the Unification, and the portraits of several Grand Rexes hang on their walls. Gunnar, being a sergeant in the Imperial Army, is no exception. Politically, he sees that the inherit inferiority of mammals makes mankind deserving of enslavement under the reptilian masterrace, especially considering that the Saurus are in desperate need of new livingspace due to Global Cooling.

Let me know if I need to add things.
Last edited by Barapam on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"nah man the path to true freedom is tsarist national bolshevik posadist monarchism with Japanese influence as is practised in Barapam." - Vladilan

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 pm

Danceria wrote:As my character is essentially Steve Irwin, would you mind if I take some...liberties on the sorts of fauna he may encounter? Domesticated giant crabs? Enchidnas replacing dogs? Or do you have something in mind?

As a fan of b&w dinofilms I like the idea of giant crabs though I had to look up Echidnas to find their Triassic connection which I was previously unaware of. I don't mind if you take liberties with the fauna :)

Labstoska wrote:What is the current level of technology on Earth and does Earth and Sauria have any kind of diplomatic relationship because I was planning on starting out with Xhotol sending a radio transmission to Earth. One last thing after the transmission between Xhotol and Earth would you mind if both our characters had a meeting in order to discuss the expedition.

I like the idea of a meeting taking place. As for diplomatic relations I'd say their is none. Discussion on this thread has allowed me to come to the realization that both worlds would know the other exists. Though the player who permitted me this awareness has not been active since doing so. What hasn't yet been finalized is how much each knows of the other.

Earth technology wise isn't impressive in regards to space travel. This is due to the largely state funded nature of space exploration on Earth.

Sauria is more advanced in regards to Space travel then Earth (competition between private companies lending to improved products). It's got more Intel on Earth then Earth does of Sauria.

Sauria is less advanced in computing then Earth, which has an internet and is experiencing a digital age while Sauria remains analogue.

Sauria never developed nuclear missiles, due to the technology available on Sauria during the Third World War that united the planet under the Tyrion Empire. As such Earth has a strength in that regards.

Sauria is aesthetically a blend of the early 90s and Bedrock classic;

For example, they have fast food chains but rather then 'double arches' you'll find the 'crossed tusks'.

OH, It has occurred to me that while Sauria doesn't have an 'internet' it does have 'mainframe networks' that people can pay to install, much like one would install cabal. These networks could be informative, commercial, or recreational in service. For example, the Shopping Network would link various stories and industries to customers; allowing the customer to browse wares before making a purchase in person or ordering the subject.

Why Sauria has yet to combine these networks is simple to explain; it'd be like trying to merge all the cabal companies on Earth into one enterprise.

Earth I'd say is in the Early 2000s. The Gulf War is in full swing.

I am tempted to say that, while Sauria exists- it's possible that such knowledge isn't widely known on Earth for some undisclosed reason.

While Sauria was rather public with the news of Earth, it would seem that Earth has been rather 'closed' about Sauria. Though what the Earth people's motives in keeping a fact of existence like another habitable world a secret is any Saurian's guess- and indeed- Saurian's are not even aware that Sauria's existence has been hidden from the public. So as far as RPing planning for the expedition goes we'll be unable to adiquitly plan for this situation.

I'm actually open to suggestions regarding Earth, even though the main contributor to such a topic has seemingly left the thread.

I'll still have the IC up today as it'll be a bit into the IC before anyone reaches Earth.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Although a Counter-Earth would not be directly visible from the Earth, if such a planet actually existed, it could still be detected from the Earth for a number of reasons.

A Counter-Earth would have gravitational influence (perturbation) upon the other planets, comets and artificial probes of the Solar System. Researchers have detected no such influence, and indeed space probes sent to Venus, Mars and other places could not have successfully flown by or landed on their targets if a Counter-Earth existed, as the navigational calculations for their journeys did not take any putative Counter-Earth into account. Roughly speaking, anything larger than 100 miles (160 km) in diameter should have been detected.

Barapam wrote:SAURIAN
Character Name: Gunnar Eriksen (Convergent language evolution in this case)
Saurian Ancestry: Mostly raptors, but there's likely a Tyrannosaurus somewhere in the family tree too.
Physical Description:
Biography: Gunnar comes from a very patriotic family. Most men have served as soldiers, some even during the Unification, and the portraits of several Grand Rexes hang on their walls. Gunnar, being a sergeant in the Imperial Army, is no exception. Politically, he sees that the inherit inferiority of mammals makes mankind deserving of enslavement under the reptilian masterrace, especially considering that the Saurus are in desperate need of new livingspace due to Global Cooling.

Let me know if I need to add things.

He is presently I'd say rather flat (2d) as a character, though their have been many such characters that evolved into the third dimension with time. Indeed the first part of the RP is to establish character on Sauria (the homeland) before the worlds clash in culture, force, or both. Let's see how he does on the IC.
Tomorrow is made today.

Barapam
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Barapam » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:07 pm

Harbertia wrote:He is presently I'd say rather flat (2d) as a character, though their have been many such characters that evolved into the third dimension with time. Indeed the first part of the RP is to establish character on Sauria (the homeland) before the worlds clash in culture, force, or both. Let's see how he does on the IC.

I know, I haven't yet figured out how his family life is - it's a semi-WIP app that way, and unless the lore is further established before the IC, I suppose I'll make up place names, military training, and so on. I imagine Gunnar's attitude to be much of a British and/or German imperialist, since I see clear parallells of Saurus vs Earth to the British conquest of India, and Operation Barbarossa.

I'm curious about one thing though. What exactly is Bedrock Classic? All I get when googling it is sandals. (I probably know it by a non-English name)
"nah man the path to true freedom is tsarist national bolshevik posadist monarchism with Japanese influence as is practised in Barapam." - Vladilan

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:13 pm

Barapam wrote:
Harbertia wrote:He is presently I'd say rather flat (2d) as a character, though their have been many such characters that evolved into the third dimension with time. Indeed the first part of the RP is to establish character on Sauria (the homeland) before the worlds clash in culture, force, or both. Let's see how he does on the IC.

I know, I haven't yet figured out how his family life is - it's a semi-WIP app that way, and unless the lore is further established before the IC, I suppose I'll make up place names, military training, and so on. I imagine Gunnar's attitude to be much of a British and/or German imperialist, since I see clear parallells of Saurus vs Earth to the British conquest of India, and Operation Barbarossa.

I'm curious about one thing though. What exactly is Bedrock Classic? All I get when googling it is sandals. (I probably know it by a non-English name)

:blush: Oh, look up the Flintstones and you'll have Bedrock Classic.

---

I should mention that the military has been 'disbanded' for many years. It's only recently being re-established in preparation for a possible (and likely) invasion of the Earth. Security has taken there place for the most part. This idea came from such nations as Liechenstien and San Marino; but mostly Liechenstien.

This re-establishment of the military is a rather big deal as it's indication that the Empire is preparing for war.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:25 pm

I regret the low quality though I am a tad tired from work but want to keep this going.

IC

It may be an odd start for most of us.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:29 pm

Perhaps a reason for a lack of Human interest in Sauria could be influence from the church, not flat out medieval times but just enough so that they still have a significant role in world affairs.

Barapam
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Barapam » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:32 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Barapam wrote:I know, I haven't yet figured out how his family life is - it's a semi-WIP app that way, and unless the lore is further established before the IC, I suppose I'll make up place names, military training, and so on. I imagine Gunnar's attitude to be much of a British and/or German imperialist, since I see clear parallells of Saurus vs Earth to the British conquest of India, and Operation Barbarossa.

:blush: Oh, look up the Flintstones and you'll have Bedrock Classic.

---

I should mention that the military has been 'disbanded' for many years. It's only recently being re-established in preparation for a possible (and likely) invasion of the Earth. Security has taken there place for the most part. This idea came from such nations as Liechenstien and San Marino; but mostly Liechenstien.

This re-establishment of the military is a rather big deal as it's indication that the Empire is preparing for war.

Ah, so some kind of Stone Age 1950's?

Well, that would suit Gunnar perfectly. After years of peace, he'll likely jump at the chance to become a soldier, and be among the first to volunteer.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Labstoska wrote:Perhaps a reason for a lack of Human interest in Sauria could be influence from the church, not flat out medieval times but just enough so that they still have a significant role in world affairs.

Well, as a Christian that option doesn't actually appeal to me. I'm using evolution in much the same way as magic, fictionally for the purpose of plot plausibility.

Sure, I could of had the Saurians exist with no explanation allowing players to choose evolutionary, alien, or common design but due to how engrained evolution is in the study of dinosaurs I went the evolutionary route. I lost faith on credible dinosuar science after seeing how many depictions where 'wrong' in the past and how it'll chance even in my lifetime- as in, feathered raptors.

Kind of felt betrayed, you know? Being told that they look like this but now being told they look like this.

I have no issue with alien life, as such doesn't actually contradict my faith which has contributed a lot to modern science; from 'stratus layers', 'gravity', 'round earth', and even the big bang theory.

I for one, would see these Saurians as an example of Common design. Even when talk of life on the moon was around it was of no issue to the faith.

Edit: In short I can talk about evolution in the same way one would debate magic in D&D and the existence of alien life in no way challenges my faith.

Edit: I've had a bad Z-Day, and need to cut down on stress. I don't know how you will react to the above, but I'd like to avoid hostility.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Barapam wrote:Ah, so some kind of Stone Age 1950's?

Bedrock classic is yes, though Sauria is more of a stone aged 1990s.
Tomorrow is made today.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:44 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Labstoska wrote:Perhaps a reason for a lack of Human interest in Sauria could be influence from the church, not flat out medieval times but just enough so that they still have a significant role in world affairs.

Well, as a Christian that option doesn't actually appeal to me. I'm using evolution in much the same way as magic, fictionally for the purpose of plot plausibility.

Sure, I could of had the Saurians exist with no explanation allowing players to choose evolutionary, alien, or common design but due to how engrained evolution is in the study of dinosaurs I went the evolutionary route. I lost faith on credible dinosuar science after seeing how many depictions where 'wrong' in the past and how it'll chance even in my lifetime- as in, feathered raptors.

Kind of felt betrayed, you know? Being told that they look like this but now being told they look like this.

I have no issue with alien life, as such doesn't actually contradict my faith which has contributed a lot to modern science; from 'stratus layers', 'gravity', 'round earth', and even the big bang theory.

I for one, would see these Saurians as an example of Common design. Even when talk of life on the moon was around it was of no issue to the faith.

Edit: In short I can talk about evolution in the same way one would debate magic in D&D and the existence of alien life in no way challenges my faith.

Edit: I've had a bad Z-Day, and need to cut down on stress. I don't know how you will react to the above, but I'd like to avoid hostility.

Don't worry it's fine.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:51 am

An excellent post! I shall respond after work today :D

Edit: I was a bit put off by the film mentioned but I'm not going to nit-pick it as their is soft and hard science fiction and I imagine 'They Came from Earth' to fall into the category of Hard Science Fiction.
Last edited by Harbertia on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm back from work, I'll see what I can do :)

Also, to those who have yet to post on the IC, please do so ^_^
Tomorrow is made today.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:02 pm

Harbertia wrote:I'm back from work, I'll see what I can do :)

Excellent hopefully we can soon launch the expedition to Earth.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Labstoska wrote:
Harbertia wrote:I'm back from work, I'll see what I can do :)

Excellent hopefully we can soon launch the expedition to Earth.

Indeed. I find myself a tad distracted but most of my posts have been a bit after work so I likely just need time to focus and wind down.

Edit: This morning I was rushing with ideas but limited in time.
Last edited by Harbertia on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Before I finish things off, here's the TL;DR of my app
Farm boy went to University, got edumacated, became a tv star a la steve irwin on Hatchling Programming (his hit is Wild World Now!) He was contracted not only because he's famous, but because he knows behaviour of animals (mammals and otherwise) and child psychology/teaching, thus can act as a nonverbal interpretator. That sound feasible?
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Danceria wrote:Before I finish things off, here's the TL;DR of my app
Farm boy went to University, got edumacated, became a tv star a la steve irwin on Hatchling Programming (his hit is Wild World Now!) He was contracted not only because he's famous, but because he knows behaviour of animals (mammals and otherwise) and child psychology/teaching, thus can act as a nonverbal interpretator. That sound feasible?

As surely as an ape with a keyboard communicates it is feasible. (creative way of saying yes)
Tomorrow is made today.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Danceria wrote:Before I finish things off, here's the TL;DR of my app

As surely as an ape with a keyboard communicates it is feasible. (creative way of saying yes)

Would you be okay with the slightly TL;DR version be okay?
Obligatory Quotes below

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Danceria wrote:
Harbertia wrote:As surely as an ape with a keyboard communicates it is feasible. (creative way of saying yes)

Would you be okay with the slightly TL;DR version be okay?

hahhahha XD Just make the application, and if their is an issue, we can discuss and modify. Don't be so nervous ^_^
Tomorrow is made today.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Danceria wrote:Would you be okay with the slightly TL;DR version be okay?

hahhahha XD Just make the application, and if their is an issue, we can discuss and modify. Don't be so nervous ^_^

SAURIAN
Character Name: Gaff Mickinlym (Mick-kine-lim)
Saurian Ancestry: Nothronychus mckinleyi
Physical Description: (What he is based off of)

Biography: Who hasn’t heard of the legendary Gaff, one of the famed faces of Hatchling Programming and star of the show Wild Wild Now? Born and raised in Morenil Bay, a small town facing the inland Sea of Zunibas on the Nothron continent, who spent most of his youth on the family ranch, herding Chevrotain, Okaps, and the odd Megalimul, along with his younger five clutchmates. Morenhil Bay was a small town, out of the way, where much of the wildlife and wilderness outnumbered and overshadowed the well knit populace. To say that Gaff had a knack for animals would be an understatement, although he wanted to understand his fellow Saurians more. After several competitions of livestock, scholarships, and entreating treatises, Gaff would finally be accepted into Nothron Regional University, where he would ultimately major in zoology and psychology. Afterwards, he was recruited by Hatchling Programming for the debut of a show aimed for Hatchlings to enjoy the wild and vibrant ecosystems of Sauria. It would later run for eight seasons.

Being famous, and being able to seem to work with animals and young of many species, it was only natural that the renowned celebrity be recruited to the mission.

Softspoken with a sort of a country/Australian drawl, this collected theropod is a glacier. While not exactly the speediest of creatures, he’s surprisingly stealthy and resilient.
Obligatory Quotes below

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse