NATION

PASSWORD

The Tale Of the Seekers [IC | Fantasy]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dragonarya
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonarya » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Amira Kal

Amira's eyes widened as Bartimaeus made his proposition. "Th-thank you," she stammered as she gently took the old codex. She smiled, her fingers tracing along its leather binding. "I'm honored." She laughed when he mentioned burning the building down, but didn't correct him. It wasn't beyond her to do so.

She tipped her head to him before she left. "Again, thank you," she said, being sure to grab her other borrowed tome in her way out. She hummed as she made her way to her room. When she arrived, she instantly crashed dramatically onto the bed and began studying every single spell in the book, adding ribbons for bookmarks where she found one of interest - which was almost everywhere. She soon ran out of ribbons, as well as lost track of time. Unless someone summoned her, she was probably going to miss dinner and her first quest.

Remember the Animal Kingdom...
Proud member of Arcane Roleplayers Anonymous
GOD'S NOT DEAD

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Bartimaeus

As the sun started to set and the sky grew dark, Bartimaeus was in the Hall of Seekers working on a bronze panel of levers and switches. The New Seekers were just finishing dinner, and it was nearing time for the mission to start. Bartimaeus pulled up his wrist and whispered into the stone. "Everyone, please report to the Seeker's Hall."

When the Seekers had all assembled, Bartimaeus directed their attention to a set of open books. "We are going after a stone tablet believed to have originated in the Great Southern Desert. Some aberrations are created by enchantments or in extreme locations and events with extraordinary materials. The largest portion of aberrations originate from events of extreme emotion; love, excitement, sadness, despair, hope, etc. The alleged story is that this was an ordinary recording tablet for the native people of a small town near a desert oasis. The people were largely impoverished, struggling to make it to the next meal. In a small act of rebellion against their god-king, they kept more of their harvest than was allowed in an attempt to feed their children. Enraged, the king had knowledge of a sandstorm moving towards the town so he forced all of the townspeople to be tied up outside of their homes in the full force of the storm. The tablet was unearthed centuries later, after an excavation. It is said that it recorded the last harvest of the town. Its exact abilities are unknown, but if the legend holds true it possesses the power of the desert; the life-giving bounty of the Oasis, and the life-draining sands of the dunes."

Bartimaeus left the books and walked over to a large map on the wall that seemed to have moving clouds... "My sources tell me that the Tablet is up for a secret auction in Straport. The cover for this secret auction is shockingly a legitimate auction of rare antiquities by Lord Cedric Gladstone; a prominent figure in the world of antiques. This Tablet is an object of great importance to certain interested parties, who we have reason to believe will be attending the public auction to bid on hidden items."

"Unfortunately, they know my face and will prevent us from actually winning the bid, but!" He said gesturing at the others, "They do not know you. We will be splitting into two teams. Ms. Nordskov and Mr. Truvo; you two will attempt to secure the table during the auction by breaking into the storage area of the theater and stealing it. And if extraction is impossible, your secondary goal is to at least find out what we need to be bidding on." He held up a silver amulet and tossed it to Alex. "That should react to the tablet: it comes from the same civilization as the tablet. The rest of you will be with me. There will be a gala before the actual auction begins. If we are going to pass ourselves off as actual guests, we need to blend in. Mr. Dennis, you will be the one to do the actual bidding when we find out what we are bidding for. I will be throwing any potential enemies off our trail by bidding on dummy items. The people from this region of Yigros are not friendly to magic users or Elves." He said looking at Amira and Carina. "That Wardrobe behind you will give you event-appropriate attire if you do not have any."

Bartimaeus walked to the control panel for the Dwarven gate and he pulled a large lever built into the floor. The walls of the circular metal hallway began to rotate, and lightning arced between some of the metal rings. A shimmering portal appeared at the end of the short hallway. Bartimaeus turned to the group and clasped his hands together, "Any Questions?"

Bemothious
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bemothious » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 pm

The Cyberiad Council wrote:Bartimaeus

As the sun started to set and the sky grew dark, Bartimaeus was in the Hall of Seekers working on a bronze panel of levers and switches. The New Seekers were just finishing dinner, and it was nearing time for the mission to start. Bartimaeus pulled up his wrist and whispered into the stone. "Everyone, please report to the Seeker's Hall."

When the Seekers had all assembled, Bartimaeus directed their attention to a set of open books. "We are going after a stone tablet believed to have originated in the Great Southern Desert. Some aberrations are created by enchantments or in extreme locations and events with extraordinary materials. The largest portion of aberrations originate from events of extreme emotion; love, excitement, sadness, despair, hope, etc. The alleged story is that this was an ordinary recording tablet for the native people of a small town near a desert oasis. The people were largely impoverished, struggling to make it to the next meal. In a small act of rebellion against their god-king, they kept more of their harvest than was allowed in an attempt to feed their children. Enraged, the king had knowledge of a sandstorm moving towards the town so he forced all of the townspeople to be tied up outside of their homes in the full force of the storm. The tablet was unearthed centuries later, after an excavation. It is said that it recorded the last harvest of the town. Its exact abilities are unknown, but if the legend holds true it possesses the power of the desert; the life-giving bounty of the Oasis, and the life-draining sands of the dunes."

Bartimaeus left the books and walked over to a large map on the wall that seemed to have moving clouds... "My sources tell me that the Tablet is up for a secret auction in Straport. The cover for this secret auction is shockingly a legitimate auction of rare antiquities by Lord Cedric Gladstone; a prominent figure in the world of antiques. This Tablet is an object of great importance to certain interested parties, who we have reason to believe will be attending the public auction to bid on hidden items."

"Unfortunately, they know my face and will prevent us from actually winning the bid, but!" He said gesturing at the others, "They do not know you. We will be splitting into two teams. Ms. Nordskov and Mr. Truvo; you two will attempt to secure the table during the auction by breaking into the storage area of the theater and stealing it. And if extraction is impossible, your secondary goal is to at least find out what we need to be bidding on." He held up a silver amulet and tossed it to Alex. "That should react to the tablet: it comes from the same civilization as the tablet. The rest of you will be with me. There will be a gala before the actual auction begins. If we are going to pass ourselves off as actual guests, we need to blend in. Mr. Dennis, you will be the one to do the actual bidding when we find out what we are bidding for. I will be throwing any potential enemies off our trail by bidding on dummy items. The people from this region of Yigros are not friendly to magic users or Elves." He said looking at Amira and Carina. "That Wardrobe behind you will give you event-appropriate attire if you do not have any."

Bartimaeus walked to the control panel for the Dwarven gate and he pulled a large lever built into the floor. The walls of the circular metal hallway began to rotate, and lightning arced between some of the metal rings. A shimmering portal appeared at the end of the short hallway. Bartimaeus turned to the group and clasped his hands together, "Any Questions?"

Jackson Dennis

Dennis furrowed his brow before raising his hand and dropping it as he spoke. "Any big names I have to worry about? I don't want to be surprised when I start bidding." Already in his head he was making some calculations on the spending and his standing within the area of Startport. He tapped cane a bit before nodding to himself, Okay I know for a fact I've heard of the place. But I don't think too many high profile people know of me either. He then stood straighter and glanced down at his clothing. He should probably look spectacular to distract most of the other bidders and maybe some guards, if he can pull that off that is. Might want to bring my pistols on this run.

Akkaga
Senator

Founded: Jun 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Akkaga » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Alexandria raised her hand slightly. " Excuse me boss? Are any weapons permitted, or is hand to hand combat the only kind you would prefer. If combat does happen, I mean."

"The Saber will be fine to wear openly, and the daggers will be acceptable as long as you can keep them hidden. If you would trust me with your lance, I can make sure we will have it if it becomes necessary. The same goes for your Staff, Amira."

Alexandria reluctantly hands her lance over to Bartimaeus.

Taking the Lance, Barimaeus produced a drawstring pouch from somewhere in his coat. He opened the bag and put the butt of the lance inside and released his grip. The entire lance fell into the pouch, but the bag didn't more or stretched, the lance just disappeared.

Alexandria walked into the wardrobe and looked around. After only a few seconds, and as if by some magic, she found what looked much like a service dress uniform from some army. She could not name the conflict this uniform had come from, but it was fancy enough for an auction, with enough freedom in movement that she could probably fight or run in it if needed. She ducked away into an unlocked room and quickly changed into the uniform. She put one dagger into her boot, and the other she hid inside the shirt. With the addition of her saber and scabbard on her left hip, she could pass off as some kind of military personal. She stepped out of the room and walked towards the gate. "I'm ready to party!"
You should join Ordis

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Bartimaeus

"You may see some hire-ups and some royalty, but they will not be of any concern to us. Our enemies are of a more covert nature, but that is not to say that some members of the aristocracy can't be aligned with them. Allow me to worry about that, you just focus on winning the bid, but don't be too overt. And money is no concern in the matter. It will be provided by the Wardens; that is assuming that we don't manage to extract it before the auction begins." He said the last part while looking at Truvo.

Dragonarya
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonarya » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:03 am

Amira Kal

Amira reluctantly handed her staff over to Bartimaeus, then huffed. "If you'll excuse me for a moment," she said as she selected a dress much like Alexandria's and vanished into an adjoining room. When she came out, the difference was obvious. Not only was she now in the service dress, but she'd used a spell to actually look her age, and to remove the magical effects. Her pink hair had turned to dark brown, and her eyes were a simple blue. Not to mention she was taller. "I hope this expedition is quick," she said as she rubbed the back of her neck. "This spell will only last twenty four hours." As usual, she regretted that experiment that made her always pink and seventeen.

Remember the Animal Kingdom...
Proud member of Arcane Roleplayers Anonymous
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Bemothious
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bemothious » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:33 am

The Cyberiad Council wrote:Bartimaeus

"You may see some hire-ups and some royalty, but they will not be of any concern to us. Our enemies are of a more covert nature, but that is not to say that some members of the aristocracy can't be aligned with them. Allow me to worry about that, you just focus on winning the bid, but don't be too overt. And money is no concern in the matter. It will be provided by the Wardens; that is assuming that we don't manage to extract it before the auction begins." He said the last part while looking at Truvo.

Jackson Dennis
Jackson nodded and simply took his pistols and placed them on the table he found himself leaning on, "I'm assuming that loud fire arms are a no in this situation. Unless you mages have something to silence them somehow." He glanced at the few magic users in the room. "Also I wouldn't care too much about the money Boss, I have some extra I can use and still have enough for other expenditures. But the thought is welcome." He nodded as he straightens out his already fashionable coat, he decided against looking his best and simply dons a flatter hat. "But yes when do we leave is my main question at the moment, and what will we arrive in?"

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 am

Jackson Dennis
Jackson nodded and simply took his pistols and placed them on the table he found himself leaning on, "I'm assuming that loud firearms are a no in this situation. Unless you mages have something to silence them somehow." He glanced at the few magic users in the room. "Also I wouldn't care too much about the money Boss, I have some extra I can use and still have enough for other expenditures. But the thought is welcome." He nodded as he straightens out his already fashionable coat, he decided against looking his best and simply dons a flatter hat. "But yes when do we leave is my main question at the moment, and what will we arrive in?"

"Your pistols will be fine to bring in case we need them. On the matter of arriving, the Dwarven gate will put us right next to the auction house. We will walk the rest of the way. As for when; just let me change, and we'll be off."

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:47 pm

A few minutes later, and Bartimaeus returned in his formal attire for the event. It wasn't overly fancy, but it reflected his more reserved nature. "Let's get started, shall we?" Bartimaeus walked over to the bronze console for the dwarven gate and turned a knob. The shimmering blue portal at the end of the short metal hallway cleared to reveal a dimly lit alleyway. The team walked through the portal and immediately noticed the cooler air and the hustle and bustle of the city coming from the street to their right.

Straport

"Truvo and Nordskov, you two head down this alley, and if you cut back across the street, it will put you out at the rear entrance to the Auction house's storage area. The rest of us will head across the street and up to the main entrance."

The group of four left the alleyway and crossed the wide street dodging carriages and horses, and the stray pedestrian. Bartimaeus glanced back to the alleyway just in time to see the portal close. The auction house was a grand building that catered to the upper echelon of society. It rose up multiple floors of marble above the cobblestone street below. It gave the same impression as a bank or opera house. Bartimaeus ascended the steps rather nimbly for someone of his age and walked through the doors to an ornate lobby carpeted in a lush red carpet and white walls with golden trim. "Excuse me, Sir, may I see your invitation?" Bartimaeus snapped his attention to the servant. "Of Course." He reached inside his coat and produced the Seeker letter. The servant scanned the letter briefly before handing it back, "Welcome, Sir, and I assume these are your associates?"

"That's right, these three are with me." The servant nodded before turning and leaving to attend to his other duties. Bartimaeus scanned the room and his eyes landed on several figures in long black coats and flat caps standing on the fringes of the guests. Guards, probably hired from one of the gangs that had their presence in Straport. Bartimaeus turned to the other three, "The Auction begins in half an hour; until then try to lay low and point out any strange individuals to me."

Bemothious
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bemothious » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am

The Cyberiad Council wrote:A few minutes later, and Bartimaeus returned in his formal attire for the event. It wasn't overly fancy, but it reflected his more reserved nature. "Let's get started, shall we?" Bartimaeus walked over to the bronze console for the dwarven gate and turned a knob. The shimmering blue portal at the end of the short metal hallway cleared to reveal a dimly lit alleyway. The team walked through the portal and immediately noticed the cooler air and the hustle and bustle of the city coming from the street to their right.

Straport

"Truvo and Nordskov, you two head down this alley, and if you cut back across the street, it will put you out at the rear entrance to the Auction house's storage area. The rest of us will head across the street and up to the main entrance."

The group of four left the alleyway and crossed the wide street dodging carriages and horses, and the stray pedestrian. Bartimaeus glanced back to the alleyway just in time to see the portal close. The auction house was a grand building that catered to the upper echelon of society. It rose up multiple floors of marble above the cobblestone street below. It gave the same impression as a bank or opera house. Bartimaeus ascended the steps rather nimbly for someone of his age and walked through the doors to an ornate lobby carpeted in a lush red carpet and white walls with golden trim. "Excuse me, Sir, may I see your invitation?" Bartimaeus snapped his attention to the servant. "Of Course." He reached inside his coat and produced the Seeker letter. The servant scanned the letter briefly before handing it back, "Welcome, Sir, and I assume these are your associates?"

"That's right, these three are with me." The servant nodded before turning and leaving to attend to his other duties. Bartimaeus scanned the room and his eyes landed on several figures in long black coats and flat caps standing on the fringes of the guests. Guards, probably hired from one of the gangs that had their presence in Straport. Bartimaeus turned to the other three, "The Auction begins in half an hour; until then try to lay low and point out any strange individuals to me."

Jackson Dennis
Dennis began surveying the room, taking note of the roughnecks on the fringes along with a couple other auctioneers that seemed to be riddled with money if their cloths were to speak for themselves. He noticed a particular guard eyeballing him, seemingly recognizing him before shaking his head. A clear sign that he didn't recognize too much about the dashing pistoleer. Dennis ruefully smirked, he didn't have to worry about random searches from the guard detail. He took another glance around the room and notice a servant making his way to him a bottle of something on a platter and a bowl of ice in hand, Dennis's smirk changed into a practiced smile. One for servants and other commoner dominated jobs, as the boy reached him he looked up at the man smiled and offered him a glass, "Thank you servant I'd gladly take a glass." His smile didn't falter at the boy's small transgression, he didn't care for the tradition in the first place. He took his cocktail glass and sipped at it. Hmm Red wine mixed with cheery, nice combo and decent conversation starter. Whoever is hosting this knows their parties.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse