NATION

PASSWORD

The Tale Of the Seekers [IC | Fantasy]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

The Tale Of the Seekers [IC | Fantasy]

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:23 am

The Tale Of The Seekers

It was still early morning when Bartimaeus woke from a rather restless sleep. His dreams were rarely pleasant, but the previous night had brought an unusually strong fit of terrors. Slinging his feet over the edge of the bed, he stretched his old shoulders before standing and dressed in clothes he produced from an old oak wardrobe. The room was rather small, only ten feet by eight, and its walls were a white plaster with chips and cracks all along its uneven surface. The room also possessed a muffled smell, not altogether unpleasant, like many old rooms do. It was quite far from the best room in the castle, and Bartimaeus could claim any one of them on just a whim, but it came with a nice view of the ocean through a decent sized window that let in great volumes of sunlight during the summer months that made working from the small wooden desk rather enjoyable. He couldn't explain why he liked it so much even if he was asked for the reason; it was simply his.

After checking his appearance in a square mirror on the wall, Bartimaeus left his chamber and turned left to ascend a twisting staircase that took him to the main hall. The entire estate was kept immaculate at all times for the non-existent Duke of Errion. The story that the locals in Brineholde were told was the Duke was in his twilight years, and in failing health. As such, he was never in good enough condition to make the trip to enjoy his summer home, but the servants kept it presentable under orders of the Duchess. It was comfortable living, but the Wardens rarely chose things out of comfort, opting for utility instead. The Castle had thick stone walls and was designed like a fortress built along the steep cliffs of a small peninsula. Bartimaeus had called the Hall home for nearly fifty years, but the only ones who knew this were the Warden's themselves, and the Castle's only maid, a one Ms. Mary Marigold. Ms. Marigold had been tending to the Seekers since before Bartimaeus had joined, yet she didn't look a day over 40. Ms. Marigold was a short, plump woman with a beaming personality and a will of steel. Many a green seeker quickly learned not to tread on her freshly cleaned floors less they fall in the scope of her wrath only to be coddled with a baked treat and milk after nearly being beaten to within an inch of their lives.

Crossing the marble floor of the main hall, Bartimaeus stepped into the dining hall to find a hearty breakfast waiting at his preferred seat at the head of the long table. He sat and began to eat, pulling the Codex from the special pocket he had sewn into all of his jackets and coats, he sat the leatherbound volume on the table, and began to read, turning the pages in between bites of food. The pages shimmed and glowed as the ethereal letters and magical projections shifted and danced on the pages. The colors changed and shifted from blues to greens to nearly all the other colors of the spectrum. To anyone reading over Bartimaeus' shoulder, it would have looked like a jumble of colorful symbols and designs, but to the chosen reader, it made perfect sense. The book wasn't written in any singular language, but an infinite arrangement of indecipherable tongues and glyphs. The book had chosen Bartimaeus, selected him to tell its secrets to.

"Oh, John! I wish you would get your nose out of that damned book and help me get things in order." Ms. Marigold's voice suddenly boomed from behind Bartimaeus as if she had appeared from thin air, which was not too far from the truth. She was hastily darting around the room, dusting inconsequential places no normal person would go looking for dust in.

"What is there to do, Ms. Marigold?" Bartimaeus asked with a bemused smile looking at her without raising his head from the book. "You have cleaned the entire Castle from top to bottom three times just this week in preparation for their arrival!"

"That was but one cleaning that took me three days to finish properly, and it would have gone much faster if you had lent a hand." Bartimaeus smiled a little more.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Marigold. What should I do to help get ready?"

"Don't be daft, there's nothing for you, dear. I'm almost done as it is; all that's left is some pie in the oven, but I will be dead before I let you anywhere near my kitchen." In her hurry, Ms. Marigold scooped up the unfinished plate of food and began to make her way to the kitchen leaving a still rather hungry Bartimaeus to attempt to suppress a smile at her antics.

"And don't forget!" She called as she pushed open the door to the kitchen, "They will be here in less than two hours, so don't go and get yourself wrapped up in any projects."

"I wouldn't dream of it, Ms. Marigold." He called to a closed door. He chuckled once more, and picked up the Codex, electing to relocate to the drawing room as it was a more suitable place for reading. Bartimaeus had been the Hall's only occupant aside for Ms. Marigold for what seemed to him to be a near eternity. While he looked forward to having some fresh faces around, he was still unsure how to feel about the Wardens assigning him four new Seekers without his opinion or approval. He had worked with partners and trainees in the past, but a Seeker's work is often of the dangerous variety, and the fear of losing someone he would undoubtedly become attached to was a nervous prospect.

Two hours later and a horse-drawn carriage carrying the four new Seekers wound its way up the twisting path that led to the Castle's gate. Bartimaeus and Ms. Marigold were waiting on the steps of the entry hall, Bartimaeus with his hands clasp behind his back, and the maid fussing over her apron, smoothing it constantly. The Carriage had taken them around the bay, giving them a good view of Brineholde, and the surrounding countryside; mostly cultivated farmland with some woods sparsely scattered. The road up the Castle was lined with elm trees that would otherwise leave the path fully exposed to the sunlight. The whole area had the pleasant smell of the ocean, as well as the gentle sound of the waves breaking on the rocks at the bottom of the cliffs.

The Carriage pulled up to the entry hall, and the driver stepped down to open the door which gave the four occupants a first look at their new boss.
Last edited by The Cyberiad Council on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IOTA Corp
Envoy

Founded: May 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby IOTA Corp » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Alexander Truvo

Alex stretched as he stepped out of the Carriage and took in his surroundings. The courtyard was nice and well kept, and he could hear the ocean from beyond the walls. Before the Wardens picked him up, the castle would have been a tempting target. Out of habit he still planned a route to scale the outer walls and get in through an open window. Alex settled his eyes on his new boss, John Bartimaeus: an unusual name to say the least. He didn't look like he was an easygoing kind of guy, but it was still to early to determine if he had a stick up his ass.

The ride had been long, but it wasn't all that bad; the younger looking girl was friendly, and the well dressed one wasn't too bad. The other girl was very graceful in appearance, but didn't seem too keen on talking. Alex walked a little way up the stairs and stuck out his hand. "Hello, nice to finally meet you. Alexander Truvo at your service."

Bemothious
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bemothious » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Jackson Dennis

With flourish Jackson descended from the carriage and dipped his hat to his boss, John Bartimaeus. His smirk said everything that needed to be said, he was grateful for the invitation and chance to do some good in the world. After straightening his jacket he started glancing around taking in the sights, and hummed at the view of the entry hall. Much like he did in the carriage he couldn't help but broaden his smirk into a smile. His nose catching a whiff of sea water and he chuckled, while his limp was noticeable he seemed not to bother with hiding it as he walked up to his boss and bowed sweeping his hat as he did so.
"Mr. Bartmaeus I would like to graciously thank you for giving me a chance to be a Seeker." He straightened back up and placed his hat on the hilt of his sword and leaned on his cane grinning at the elderly man, "I'm Jackson Dennis at your service."

Dragonarya
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonarya » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Amira Kal

Amira sighed in relief as the ride finally came to an end and exited their carriage after Jackson, placing her staff on the ground before landing on the earth herself. She leaned her staff on the carriage for a moment as she tied her hair up with a ribbon. It wasn't the best, but now she no longer looked like she'd, well, been in a carriage for an incredibly long time. Which she had.

She did a quick scan of the surroundings. There was a castle, which most wouldn't see every day, but her magical academy wasn't far from one of the hulking structures. There was also the man that was without a doubt John, as well as a maid fussing over her apron. With a flourish Amira grabbed her staff and approached the two waiting.

"Amira Kal, at your service," she said to John as she curtsied. When she came up, she wore a charismatic smile. "Truly an honor to meet you."

Remember the Animal Kingdom...
Proud member of Arcane Roleplayers Anonymous
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Corvus Metallum
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Metallum » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:25 am

Carina Nordskov

It had been with great reluctance that the demi-elf had gotten into the carriage; as she wasn't one to spend excessive amounts of time with strangers, she would have preferred to follow on her own horse. As, perhaps, the only one with elven blood in them, the ride was far less enjoyable for her than it might have been for anyone else despite how comfortable the cabin might have been--many men and women (most, it seemed to her) harbored a deep resentment of elven kind, or anyone descended from them. It was for that reason she, unlike most other occasions, had let her hair down--to hide the point of her ears.

As Carina stepped out of the carriage, it was easy to see that she wasn't dressed as she normally might have been; gone were the heavy fabrics, leather, and fur that defined the garb of any northerner--in their place was an outfit of similar design: a hooded tunic of green, trousers, and lighter hide boots. The outfit hardly spoke to her reputation as a mercenary or huntress, to say the least.

She took note of the others quietly: a young magi, as evidenced by the staff; a nobleman, and finally a rogue--what a motley crew their employer had put together. The man that stood before them--Bartimaeus--appeared to be nearing middle-aged; though a decade his senior, the half-elven woman only looked to be about seven years younger at least.

A curt nod and her name was all the man got--pleasantries were not often exchanged in the wilderness or on the battlefield, after all. "Carina," she said.
Last edited by Corvus Metallum on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:23 am

The two figures on the steps watched as the four soon to be seekers exited the carriage. The first man approached and presented his hand as the others were climbing out, "Hello, nice to finally meet you. Alexander Truvo at your service." Bartimaeus expression changed to something that couldn't quite be labeled as a smile, but it was the start of one. "Mr. Truvo." Bartimaeus, instead of lessening his grip, tightened it and pulled the rouge slightly closer so he was out of earshot of the others. "I have taken inventory of everything inside this castle so many times I can do so in my sleep. I expect nothing to go unaccounted for."

The next man approached, a well dressed Nobleman. "Mr. Bartimaeus I would like to graciously thank you for giving me a chance to be a Seeker. I'm Jackson Dennis at your service." Bartimaeus returned the bow with a slight bow of his head. "Please Mr. Dennis, just Bartimaeus will suffice, and we will see how long you will be thanking me; our work is strenuous and scarcely glamorous, but is far from boring."

"Ms. Kal." Bartimaeus gave a slight bow to the young mage. "I have heard rumors of your exploits. You are free to practice magic here as you see fit. Just don't harm anyone else, or destroy anything."

"Ms. Nordskov." Bartimaeus acknowledged returning the nod. "You needn't hide your heritage within these walls. I am a good friend of your mother's people."

"Well, everyone. I am quite glad to finally make all of your acquaintances. As you know, I am Bartimaeus, and this is Ms. Mary Marigold, the Hall's housekeeper. If you..." Bartimaeus was cut off by Ms. Marigold hitting him in the ribs. "I can introduce myself, John."

"Of course, My apologies."

"If any of you dears need anything at any time of day, just let me know; I have been working for the seekers since long before any of you have been alive. I'll handle the cooking, cleaning, and your clothes that need washing or mending."

"Now, then. Since introductions are out of the way, let's get on with the tour." Bartimaeus walked up and opened the front door of the castle and gestured for the others to enter. As they filed in, Bartimaeus thanked the Carriage driver and took a stack of mail from him. Ms. Marigold had seemingly vanished by the time he rejoined them in the foyer. "Through those doors is the Great hall which branches off to the dining hall, library, and Bed Chambers. That door to our right leads directly to the bedchambers. You are free to take any room you wan; we are the only ones that live here."

Bartimaeus led them through other places of interest in the Castle, giving a brief explanation when necessary. "Now that the normal matters are taken care of, let's get down to the real business." The group traveled down a series of steps into one of the Castle's cellars. In the far wall, there was a large door with a seal lined with runes. "This is the real hall of the Seekers." Bartimaeus touched a pattern of runes and a central symbol glowed orange: the Seeker's symbol.

The double doors opened inwards revealing a set of stairs leading down. The stairs opened to a semi-circular room with a rounded platform with a desk piled high with books and random items. Bookshelves lined the walls, flanking hallways that branched out radially. Straight ahead was what looked like a tunnel with bronze machinery lining the walls.

"Welcome to The Hall of the Seekers. This is our base of operations; from here we can deploy to anywhere on Oturn. And when we secure an aberration, this is where we lock it away. Here is your mandatory gear." Bartimaeus picked up a leather strap with a small grey stone embedded in the center. "These are whisper stones; magic rocks from a cave on a small island off the coast of Ioslen. They are all linked and when you whisper into one, the others make the same sound. They're useful for communication in the field. Next, we have Waykeys.. The Dwarven gate, that metal tunnel over there, can work two ways, but we don't like to leave portals open for too long. Waykeys give you a one-way ticket back her from wherever you are so long as there's no magic preventing it. To use them, just grip them in your palm and focus on the hall. Last, but not least, we have the seal of the seekers." Bartimaeus held up a piece of paper with a wax seal bearing the Seeker symbol. "The Wardens protected themselves a few hundred years ago by creating an intricate piece of spellwork that slowly erases memories of the organization from everyone. Breaking the seal on this letter, and letting them read it will temporarily allow them to remember. If you show this to law enforcement, they should let you go about your work without interruptions."

"Any questions?" Bartimaeus asked with a slight smile.

Bemothious
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bemothious » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 pm

The Cyberiad Council wrote: "Please Mr. Dennis, just Bartimaeus will suffice, and we will see how long you will be thanking me; our work is strenuous and scarcely glamorous, but is far from boring."

"Any questions?" Bartimaeus asked with a slight smile.

With a slight nod Jackson smirked and followed the group through a tour of the castle. It wasn't as glamorous and ornate as his father's mansion by far but with the lack of decoration gave way to a sort of homey environment. He did take note of the directions he was given and hiked his ruck sack and continued to fallow his boss. Every once and awhile he would glance at the elf, he had met a few elves in his life and some of them were amazing people to talk to, while others met their end at his pistols. He only smiled softly at her and made sure to soften his cane's clacking. At the expense of speed. But from where he was he doubted he would loose sight of the group.

As soon as he saw the Hall of Seekers his eyes sparkled as he hobbled over to a section of bookshelves to start reading the titles, only half paying attention to his basic gear list. He mumbled in his father's tongue as his smile turned manic he turned to the table and leaned on his cane thumbing its head.

Akkaga
Senator

Founded: Jun 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Akkaga » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Alexandria was stirred from her sleep by a knock at her cabin door. She slowly pushed herself up from the small bed and onto its edge. "Yes?"

"Sorry to disturb you ma'am, but we are reaching Brineholde now. If you would like to go the top deck you will be able to see the castle in a few minutes." The sound of footsteps followed and slowly faded down the hallway. Alexandria quickly got up and dressed in her normal lightweight armor. When she was finally ready she grabbed her bag and left the now empty room. Upon reaching the deck she saw a massive castle in the distance, overlooking the town that they were slowly docking with. The crisp sea breeze whirled around her and a feeling of anxiousness and excitement filled every inch of her body.

A few hours later Alexandria rode up to the front of the Brineholde castle. She dismounted and walked her horse to a nearby stable and left him there. She had been informed that her trip was a different route than the others and that she would most likely be the last new member to arrive. She reached the large wooden doors and knocked the large brass knocker on the door. Her hand grasped the letter from the Wardens in her hand. Her anticipation was growing quickly as the large castle loomed before her. She hoped someone could hear her knocking, as the castle looked almost deserted.
Last edited by Akkaga on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You should join Ordis

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:00 pm

The door opened to reveal the short form of Ms. Marigold, "Yes? How can I help you, dear?"

"Oh hello. I was told to speak to a Mr..." Voice trails off "Barti... Bartimeaus?" She said shaking her head. "Oh I have a letter for him!" Alexandria handed the maid the letter, and she glanced at the wax seal.

Ms. Marigold suddenly beamed and swung the door open wide. "I recognize that seal, those Wardens! They spend too much time thinking about their own greatness they forget how to do the most basic things!" The maid returned the letter and started walking down a hallway. "Come with me Dear, and don't forget the door. I'll show you the way straight to Mr. Bartimaeus. He's in his little secret room with the rest of the new Seekers." Ms. Marigold led the way through the castle as Alexandria tried to remember little details as they walked. She'd been in quite a few castles during her years of travel, but this castle felt different than all the others. It felt empty, but weirdly like a home. She shook the feeling off when they reached the rune doors.

Ms. Marigold touched the series of runes, and the Symbol of the Seeker's started glowing in the center as the door swung open.

When Alexandria descended the steps, Bartimaeus stopped mid-sentence and looked at the newcomer. "Hello? I wasn't expecting anyone else..."

"Hello", Alex said with a little bow. "I am one of the new recruits. I'm sorry I'm a bit late, but I had to travel by sea to reach here and we hit some rough weather." She held out the letter she had been given. "This seems to be for you."

Bartimaeus took the letter and broke the seal. He quickly skimmed the page and sighed. "It would have been nice if they let me know they were sending me five new recruits instead of four." His expression softened slightly and he looked at Alexandria. "Well, Alexandria, welcome to the Seekers." Bartimaeus quickly covered the three pieces of gear, and continued his brief tour, pausing again shortly for questions.

Akkaga
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Akkaga » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 am

The Cyberiad Council wrote:The door opened to reveal the short form of Ms. Marigold, "Yes? How can I help you, dear?"

"Oh hello. I was told to speak to a Mr..." Voice trails off "Barti... Bartimeaus?" She said shaking her head. "Oh I have a letter for him!" Alexandria handed the maid the letter, and she glanced at the wax seal.

Ms. Marigold suddenly beamed and swung the door open wide. "I recognize that seal, those Wardens! They spend too much time thinking about their own greatness they forget how to do the most basic things!" The maid returned the letter and started walking down a hallway. "Come with me Dear, and don't forget the door. I'll show you the way straight to Mr. Bartimaeus. He's in his little secret room with the rest of the new Seekers." Ms. Marigold led the way through the castle as Alexandria tried to remember little details as they walked. She'd been in quite a few castles during her years of travel, but this castle felt different than all the others. It felt empty, but weirdly like a home. She shook the feeling off when they reached the rune doors.

Ms. Marigold touched the series of runes, and the Symbol of the Seeker's started glowing in the center as the door swung open.

When Alexandria descended the steps, Bartimaeus stopped mid-sentence and looked at the newcomer. "Hello? I wasn't expecting anyone else..."

"Hello", Alex said with a little bow. "I am one of the new recruits. I'm sorry I'm a bit late, but I had to travel by sea to reach here and we hit some rough weather." She held out the letter she had been given. "This seems to be for you."

Bartimaeus took the letter and broke the seal. He quickly skimmed the page and sighed. "It would have been nice if they let me know they were sending me five new recruits instead of four." His expression softened slightly and he looked at Alexandria. "Well, Alexandria, welcome to the Seekers." Bartimaeus quickly covered the three pieces of gear, and continued his brief tour, pausing again shortly for questions.

Alexandria was a little overwhelmed at all the things she had just scene and been told about. She understood them all in concept but magic always had confused her and she normally chose to avoid anything that had to do with magic. She had about a million questions but didn't want to be the only one to ask stupid questions, so she remained silent. After standing around for a moment or two she realized she hadn't introduced herself to any of the other, and that only Bartimaeus knew her name. She took a step forward towards Bartimaeus and turning towards the four other seekers. "Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Alexandria Gunther, you may call me Alexandria or Alex. It's a pleasure to meet you all and I look forward to working with you." With that she gave a quick bow, and retook her place in line.
You should join Ordis

Dragonarya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonarya » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Amira Kal

The young mage got a certain glint in her eye when the leader mentioned magic usage. "Oh, wouldn't dream of hurting someone," she said airlily. "There are certain magical boundaries I try not to cross, although I'm not always successful."

She remained silent for the rest of the tour, nodding in understanding a couple of times. It was all quite interesting. She saw so many magical opportunities they were almost tangible.

Amira looked up when a new person introduced themselves. "Amira Kal," she said, tipping in a slight curtsy. "Pleasure to meet you as well." She returned her attention back to the gear he'd spoken of. Whisper stones could certainly be useful, as could Waykeys. In fact, most everything here looked useful. However, she resumed silence and stayed in line, wondering what else her new leader had to say.

GOD'S NOT DEAD

IOTA Corp
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby IOTA Corp » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Alexander Truvo

Alex looked a the items he had been given, and slipped the leather strap containing the whisper stone around his wrist, and fastened the clasp. Alex looked at Bartimaeus with a quizzical expression on his face, "So do these whisper stones only work when you whisper? If I yelled into one, would it make it sound louder to the rest of you?"

"Yes, the whisper stones only hear and speak in whispered voices. They don't repeat loud noises or voices."

"Hmm." Alex hung the Waykey around his neck, and examined the folded piece of paper with the leather seal. "If the wardens have some kind of magic erasing people's knowledge of their existence, why do I remember? And why do I remember hearing rumors of them in the past?"

"During your preliminary induction with the Wardens, they excluded you from the spell; protected you from it. Since it is removed, you will no longer slowy forget about the Wardens or the Seekers. When you were removed from the spell, it also brought back all of the times you have forgotten about the organization in the past."

"Alright, but do we only get one use out of these letters? Do they work after the seal is broken?" Alex didn't have the slightest notion of how magic worked. He had stolen numerous magic items, but never bothered to learn about them.

"Break one and see for yourself" was the only response that Bartimaeus gave, so Alex broke the wax seal and when he refolded the paper, the wax flowed back whole.

"That's pretty neat." Alex looked at the other three with an impressed look on his face. He looked up with interest as the new woman entered the hall and introduced herself to Bartimaeus before turning to the group. He gave the nicest smile he could before giving a greeting bow and introduced himself. "Very nice to meet you, Alexandria. I am, funnily enough, Alexander; but you can call me Alex."
Last edited by IOTA Corp on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bemothious
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bemothious » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Jackson Dennis

After Jackson had his fill with the books he turned back to the conversation at hand. He took a look at a whisper stone and couldn't help but feel a bit surprised for how pretty it was. The blue and white stone did it wonders at being somewhat noticeable. Now the Waykey on the other hand was a bit more interesting, with the entire bit about portal opening and closing he did have to admit the practical application of it. He shook off his thoughts as he thumbed the head of his cane,
"Well this seems interesting and all, but when shall we eat?" He asked with a placid smirk.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Bartimaeus

The old seeker chuckled at Jackson's question. "Ms. Marigold serves lunch every day at twelve sharp, so it will be just a little while." He then turned to the group as a whole, " Luckily for you all, I have found our next target, but we need to wait until tonight to secure it. Take today to explore the Castle, get settled, and mingle with each other. Nowhere in the castle is off-limits, but if a door is locked, its to keep something dangerous inside. Feel free to explore the Seeker hall, but don't touch ANY of the aberrations. I will be here doing some final research for tonight if you need me."

Akkaga
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Akkaga » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:30 pm

The Cyberiad Council wrote:Bartimaeus

The old seeker chuckled at Jackson's question. "Ms. Marigold serves lunch every day at twelve sharp, so it will be just a little while." He then turned to the group as a whole, " Luckily for you all, I have found our next target, but we need to wait until tonight to secure it. Take today to explore the Castle, get settled, and mingle with each other. Nowhere in the castle is off-limits, but if a door is locked, its to keep something dangerous inside. Feel free to explore the Seeker hall, but don't touch ANY of the aberrations. I will be here doing some final research for tonight if you need me."

Alexandria left the hall as soon as they had all been excused. She was looking for a room close enough to the stables that she could rush out at a moments notice to reach Edel, her horse. After searching for what felt like hours she found an empty, unlocked, room within a minutes run from the stables. It wasn't the most ideal conditions, but it was the most she could ask for. After depositing her things, and making a mental note of where the room was, she decided to explore more of the castle. She started down the hallway wondering what she might find.
You should join Ordis

IOTA Corp
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby IOTA Corp » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Alex Truvo

After they had been dismissed, Alex went and started looking through the bed chambers. He peaked through a few doors before coming to one that was locked. He furrowed his brow, remembering Bartimaeus' warning, but his curiosity quickly overwhelmed his self control. "You have to be hiding something interesting in here." He produced a set of lock picks and began working on the door, but he heard footsteps echoing down the hallway, so he quickly hid the lock picks and leaned nonchalantly against he wall just as the person rounded the corner...
Last edited by IOTA Corp on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonarya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonarya » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:17 pm

Amira Kal

The young mage in training scowled as Bartimaes forbade them from interacting with the aberrations, but silently settled with poking around the other magical anomalies of the castle. Besides, she'd sensed so much magic here it almost gave her a headache. Almost, but not quite. Instead, it made her increasingly eager to get her hands on the power hidden inside.

When dismissed, Amira had taken to exploring the castle - more specifically, following where she could sense magic to find where it was strongest. She was going through yet another bland hallway when she came across Alex, who was rocking the "act casual" stance that had "guilty" written all over it. "Don't you have anything better to be doing?" She asked in a rushed whisper as she passed, looking back over her shoulder to try and see what he was hiding before turning the corner.

After that, she'd taken to examining the armor stands. Now, there was nothing she hadn't seen before on them, but some had a strange energy about them that'd she'd encountered a time or two back at the academy. A couple even seemed to posses spirits.

When she reached one that was particularly strong in it, she placed her palm on it, the magical and spiritual energy thrumming through her bones. "Crikey," she whispered as she sensed it. "This place really does hold some secrets." Stepping back, she examined the armor on its stand before poking it with her staff. The energy inside rustled, seemingly unhappy with the disturbance. "Aw, you big grump," she said as she poked it again.

This time, the spirit came out, its trailing body with no particular form hovering a foot or so off the ground. As with most traveling ghosts, its body was more akin to a comet, and although the face seemed male it was nigh impossible to tell. It gave her a withering look before vanishing with a gust of air. "How rude," Amira grumbled as she stepped back and began to leave the hallway. "These spirits, with no respect for the living."

GOD'S NOT DEAD

Akkaga
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Akkaga » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:31 pm

IOTA Corp wrote:Alex Truvo

After they had been dismissed, Alex went and started looking through the bed chambers. He peaked through a few doors before coming to one that was locked. He furrowed his brow, remembering Bartimaeus' warning, but his curiosity quickly overwhelmed his self control. "You have to be hiding something interesting in here." He produced a set of lock picks and began working on the door, but he heard footsteps echoing down the hallway, so he quickly hid the lock picks and leaned nonchalantly against he wall just as the person rounded the corner...

Alexandria walked down the winding hallway past all the mostly empty bed chambers. She imagined that a long time ago this place must have been filled to the brim with seekers, but now it was the seven of them sharing a castle meant for a baron, maybe even a king. None of the bed chambers she had passed had anything in them of note with all of them containing the exact same layout as all the others. She had stopped checking after the ninth door or so. As she rounded a corner she almost walked directly into one of the other seekers she had seen in the meeting before. He was propped up against the wall leaning against it like he owned the hallway. It was a little odd, she thought, standing around in such an empty hallway. "Oh hello! You're... Alex right? I was starting to think I wouldn't run into anyone else. This place is huge!" She said while making a motion with her arms to emphasize the largeness of the castle.
You should join Ordis

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus was walking to his study when he saw a spirit lurking through the hallway.

"Stop that Spirit!" Bartimaeus rushed up a flight of stairs behind Amira, and ran to the suit of armor. He pulled out the codex, and the pages turned in a flurry of their own accord to a page with a blue sigil highlighted on the page.

"Ahrk ghre yeht uhhio!"

The sigil lept off the page and shimmered on the chest plate of the armor. A howling sound could be heard as the spirit came shrieking down the hallway before impacting the sigil which slowly dimmed. "Ms. Kal." Bartimaeus panted through heavy breaths from running up the stairs. "Be careful with the Armors. They are old and sometimes the enchantment breaks if tampered with." He noted her curious expression, and gave a shrill whistle followed by "Khret!"

The suits in the hallway immediately stepped off their stands and saluted. "They're here for security reasons: A private army to help defend the castle." Bartimaeus read a little more from the codex before he closed it and returned it to its pocket. "I must say though, the spell shouldn't have broken just by poking the suit. It must have sensed your magic, strong magic at that." He said with a smile. "Dro!" The suits returned to their respective places. "I might have something of interest to you, something that can capitalize on your raw talent. After you get settled in, come find me in the Seeker's Hall." Bartimaeus turned and left down the same flight of stairs he had previously ascended.

Dragonarya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonarya » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Amira Kal

Amira rubbed the back of her neck semi-nervously as her new leader had a somewhat violent reaction to the spirit. "There's plenty of them here," she offered, watching with a mix of horror and fascination as the ghost was sent back to its respective armor. "But that's the only free-floater, and, erm," she coughed into her elbow. "May or may not have been my fault." She watched as he interacted with the armor, nodded at his recommendation, and waved as he vanished back down the stairs. In all honesty, she was purely fascinated by the spirits, and was tempted to poke around and scare some more out. However, better judgement got the best of her, and soon enough she was stalking around, hunting not for spirits, but instead a nice room.

Of course, she was still searching for magic, and soon settled on a room with a shelf of magical tomes and a wide window overlooking the shore and countryside. The young mage settled her few meager possessions in proper places and scanned her new room. Good books, nice view, homey. Never mind all the gloomy stone. She picked out a few tomes that looked interesting or helpful to read later and set them on the bed. With that matter settled she picked up her staff and headed down to the Seeker's Hall.
Last edited by Dragonarya on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GOD'S NOT DEAD

Bemothious
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bemothious » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Jackson Dennis
With a nod Jackson walked around the halls limping a bit. His cane clacking along the floor echoed a bit, his somewhat trained hearing heard a scuffle and some loud spell casting. He hobbled to the area to the best of his ability to see his boss rushing a spirit. He blinked and followed behind reaching for one of his pistols before it seemed to be pacified. He took note of the girl the wizened wizard talked to before walking past the two on his way to exploring the castle. He nodded his head and tapped the whisper stone, "I do think the better idea would be to use this next time Boss." He continued walking keeping an eye out for other weird shenanigans that might happen.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Bemothious wrote:Jackson Dennis
With a nod Jackson walked around the halls limping a bit. His cane clacking along the floor echoed a bit, his somewhat trained hearing heard a scuffle and some loud spell casting. He hobbled to the area to the best of his ability to see his boss rushing a spirit. He blinked and followed behind reaching for one of his pistols before it seemed to be pacified. He took note of the girl the wizened wizard talked to before walking past the two on his way to exploring the castle. He nodded his head and tapped the whisper stone, "I do think the better idea would be to use this next time Boss." He continued walking keeping an eye out for other weird shenanigans that might happen.

"I'll keep that in mind, Mr. Dennis," Bartimaeus whispered into his own stone. "However, I find not many people know how to retrap a spirit into suits of armor, but when I find something I need assistance for, I will be certain to ask."

Bartimaeus followed the old familiar path down to the Seeker's Hall and brushed past the initial bookcases. He traveled down one of the narrow corridors lined with shelving packed with a bizarre assortment of aberrations in every shape and size. Eventually, it started to widen, as the shelves turned into a complete maze with no order or reason. He zigzagged his way down random paths until he came to what looked like a brazen book display case with inlaid jewels. He felt around the grey bricks that made up the wall behind the display and found a loose one. He pressed on one side of it, and it revolved to show a hollow side holding a key. He took the key and use it to unlock a small, inconspicuous strongbox that was sitting on a crowed shelve behind him which revealed another key. He took the second key and used it to open the display case. Inside sat a book with a dark leather binding. A soft glow seemed to emanate from the closed pages of the book. He picked it up and dusted it off.

"It has been a while."

Bartimaeus tucked the tome under his arm and walked back to the main desk. He laid it down on a pile of papers and started looking at another set of open books and papers, waiting for Amira.

IOTA Corp
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby IOTA Corp » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Alex And Alexandria

Alex smile at Alexandria's enthusiasm. "I know, very old and mysterious. Makes you wonder what they're hiding, doesn't it?" Alex gave a smirk and leaned over and jiggled the locked door knob.

"You've found a locked door? Are you any good at picking locks?" She said, returning a smile.

Alex held up the lock pick set in either hand, and his smile grew. "What sort of thief would I be if I wasn't?" He squatted down again and resumed picking the lock. He furrowed his brow as he worked, before an audible click was heard as the lock disengaged. "Shall we see what wonders hide within?"

"Go ahead and take a look around. Call me if you find anything interesting." Alexandria said as she took a few steps away from the door and more into the open hallway. "I think I heard something from down the hall. I'll keep a lookout incase our new boss comes this way."

"You got it." Alex opened the door and took a look inside. It was a small room, really something closer to a closet. There was a single square window that let in light through iron bars. There was a shelf against the right wall with an assortment of small chests. Most of them were locked, but Alex couldn't find any sort of keyhole with which to open them. One in particular caught his eye; it was small and black with some green trim around the lid and down the sides. He cracked open the lid, but was disappointed to find nothing inside. What Alex failed to see was a small green worm creature slink its way out of the chest, and out through the open door.

Disappointed, Alex shut the lid and rejoined Alexandria in the hallway. "Just mothballs and locked chests, nothing interesting." Alex closed the door, and relocked it. "I guess we'll have to wait for tonight to see anything cool."

Alexandria let out a sigh, from anticipation or from relief, she didn't know herself. "In the mean time why don't we look for other ways to get into trouble? You can tell me a little bit about yourself, like how you came to be part of the seekers?" She said as she began to walk down the corridor.

"It would be my pleasure." Alex said as he jogged to catch up. "I'm originally from Yigros, a small town on the southern plains. I went to the institute for a little bit, but I left and started my... night job. How about you?"

"I'm from a fishing village near lake Königs in eastern Ioslen. The really big one. I'm a warrior at heart, so I left home looking for adventure... Kinda... Anyways I wound up here after a few years. Feels good to be working with others for a good cause." She paused at a door that seemed a little more worn than the others. She tried opening it and found the door to be locked. "Wanna try this room?"

"Sure, why not?" Alex stooped down, and started working his magic. "So you said you were a warrior? I guess you've seen combat then?"

Alexandria leaned against the door frame and watched Alex work. "Yeah. I've seen my fair share." Her voice was oddly calm, and almost monotone.

"Hm. Not the best subject I guess?" Alex asked with a sympathetic smile. "Sometimes I wish I had done something noble with my life, but the gold tends to make me feel better." He furrowed his brow, and worked more vigorously with the lock picks. "This one is giving me some trouble... Aha!" The door clicked, and Alex swung it open. "Care to do the honors this time?"

Alexandria let out a sigh as she walked towards the now opened door. "Being noble only gets you so far, but it isn't always bad, I suppose. Keep watch for me?" The room was just like the other empty bedrooms, except for what appeared to be large mirror hanging over the desk on the right side. She looked through the desk and the unlocked chest, but nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. "Nothing in here of note. Not even locked chests or anything. Odd right?" She walked out, making sure to shut the door behind her tightly. Alex's stomach let out a gurgle as she turned around. "It must be getting close to twelve. Let's go get some food!"

"Lead the way." Alex gestured grandly with his hands and followed Alexandria as they went in search of the dining room.

Dragonarya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonarya » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:12 pm

Amira Kal

Amira made her way down to the Hall of Seekers, passing the two Alex's on the way - up to some no good shenanigans, no doubt. She might've joined them if she wasn't headed to talk to her boss. She was quite rebellious herself, and had a tendency to break rules wherever she went - although most instances involved either magic or spirits. Both were topics that Amira was interested immensely in, and had been in an almost unlawful pursuit of.

She stopped by a library and poked her head in. Fascinating, no less, but honestly could use work. When she was done with Bartimaeus, she would come back and check out some magical tomes, as well as dust off a few old volumes on history and whatnot. Despite her places to be, Amira stepped inside and tucked a tome under her arm on spirits that had looked quite interesting before rushing back to where her boss was undoubtedly waiting.

She entered the hall, hiding her lack of breath and offering Bartimaeus a small wave with her free hand. "Hello again," she said with a smile, setting her tome down temporarily. "I believe you summoned me for something?"

GOD'S NOT DEAD

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 pm

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus looked up from his papers when Amira walked down the stairs into the hall. "Yes, Ms. Kal, I did." Bartimaeus reached over and picked up the Infinitus. "What do you know about the Codices?"

Bartimaeus handed Amira the old leather book. When he touched it, the orange glow grew a little brighter. "I would assume with your background in the arcane, you would have heard about them, but regardless: They are ancient books of unknown knowledge and power. The Wardens have two in their possession: Mine, The Codex, and that one, The Infinitus. It is the codex of the magic of man. It contains spells not found anywhere else in the world, but more than that, it is a source of magical energy that can help fuel the spells contained within. I think it will be safe in your hands."

Bartimaeus watched as an orange sigil glowed on the ground around Amira. "I think it likes you. But be cautious; the Codices are not ordinary books, not even among those of the magical variety. Each of the Codices contains an entity called a Kel. They are beings of pure thought with no physical form, and they have been here since the dawn of time. Like any other race, some are nefarious, but the vast majority are pure and kind: they are curious and are driven to learn and observe. Seven, that we know of, chose to create and possess the books of knowledge. The Infinitus is one of the good ones, and it has been without an owner for almost twenty years. I think you will benefit from it because as much as you learn from it, it learns from you. It will teach you the more you read it."

Bartimaeus turned and walked back to his chair. "If you decide to take it; please try not to burn down the castle." He said with a smile.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse