NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:10 am

Ulls wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Ulls, I imagine the capital is pretty much fucked at this point. Regardless of who wins, thousands of people are going to die in the flames, as well as from mob violence.

I will write more about the second army and their attempts to storm the outer walls tomorrow.

There is a navy response coming from Third Thunder to provide relief but I think this maybe a stalemate until then.

Don’t forget to pay attention to your timeframe; I’d guesstimate it has only been an hour or two since the first attack, meaning word of the battle will have only just left Ego. That said, though, neither should the fires or rioting be widespread.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Ulls wrote:There is a navy response coming from Third Thunder to provide relief but I think this maybe a stalemate until then.

Don’t forget to pay attention to your timeframe; I’d guesstimate it has only been an hour or two since the first attack, meaning word of the battle will have only just left Ego. That said, though, neither should the fires or rioting be widespread.

It's actually been several hours, not just one hour.

The fires have been made worse by Turner's soldiers starting more and more fires to cause confusion and panic. However, they went a little overboard and now the fires are spreading too fast.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:20 am

The Orson Empire wrote:

It's actually been several hours, not just one hour.

The fires have been made worse by Turner's soldiers starting more and more fires to cause confusion and panic. However, they went a little overboard and now the fires are spreading too fast.

Mm, perhaps. Two hours or four, it will take time for news to be sent to anywhere. I expect the capital will either have fallen, not, or burnt to the ground before anyone hears of Turner’s betrayal beyond the city itself.

Fair enough. It’s worth noting, though, that fires take time to spread, even under the most ideal conditions involving wind and deliberate firestarting. Without incendiaries and lacquered wood, wood houses actually take quite some time to start to burn, ditto wood shingles. Though, I admit I don’t know anything about Ego’s urban planning or roofing. Thatch roofs in close proximity could lead to quite the crown fire.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:True, but that would just be a "general lore" kind of thing, better handled by G or one of the earliest other players who are still here. It's not really important that they know that the Imperium has plans of creating steam ships and sailing to the Galapagos.

Then perhaps a general FAQs or Getting Started? section on the OP would be better.

A FAQ could be constructed, getting started can be constructed although would be best having multiple sources, and having lengthy charactaer backgrounds wouldn't be bad either.

Perhaps I'll compile the list of questions noobs typically ask, and send them to G if he agrees to this. I think it wouldn't fill up the page too if it's spoilered.

On the Getting Started thing might be more difficult, but not impossible. If we can get multiple suggestions and assistance from the other RPers I bet we can make a decent getting started guide.

The lengthy character lore idea is actually really good that is if we spoiler it, so it doesn't fill the screens a lot, and could be placed in the app to let people know more about them other than appearances.

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:I mean, every faction could write a little blurb about that faction, like an expanded version of the OP.

True, but those lores tend to be heavily detailed. G spent a good time writing his up and I'm about to construct a civ and I don't want to go through that :p

G, your our OP what do you think? FAQ, getting started, Char backstories, keeping the lores (but maybe make them simpler and smaller)?
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:A FAQ could be constructed, getting started can be constructed although would be best having multiple sources, and having lengthy charactaer backgrounds wouldn't be bad either.

Perhaps I'll compile the list of questions noobs typically ask, and send them to G if he agrees to this. I think it wouldn't fill up the page too if it's spoilered.

On the Getting Started thing might be more difficult, but not impossible. If we can get multiple suggestions and assistance from the other RPers I bet we can make a decent getting started guide.

The lengthy character lore idea is actually really good that is if we spoiler it, so it doesn't fill the screens a lot, and could be placed in the app to let people know more about them other than appearances.

True, but those lores tend to be heavily detailed. G spent a good time writing his up and I'm about to construct a civ and I don't want to go through that :p

G, your our OP what do you think? FAQ, getting started, Char backstories, keeping the lores (but maybe make them simpler and smaller)?

Tough to say, really. What would you include in an FAQ?

Getting Started seems like, to be of use, it would have to be both massive and dense, and I would rather not scare off new folks. Our OP is intimidating enough already.

Lore solves most problems, but getting people to write it is hard.

Character bios wouldn’t be bad, but I feel they’ll be only a half-measure, as they likely will cover just enough to be intimidating and not enough to be comprehensive...

Ulls
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 am

The Orson Empire wrote:It's actually been several hours, not just one hour.

Mm, perhaps. Two hours or four, it will take time for news to be sent to anywhere. I expect the capital will either have fallen, not, or burnt to the ground before anyone hears of Turner’s betrayal beyond the city itself.

Fair enough. It’s worth noting, though, that fires take time to spread, even under the most ideal conditions involving wind and deliberate firestarting. Without incendiaries and lacquered wood, wood houses actually take quite some time to start to burn, ditto wood shingles. Though, I admit I don’t know anything about Ego’s urban planning or roofing. Thatch roofs in close proximity could lead to quite the crown fire.

Housing is stone in the form of Dartmoor Longhouses since I thought it worked best with the cultural evolution from longhouses that the Great Lakes culture would be using. Stone housing is more common so fire will still catch on but it wouldn't burn everything down quickly.

Also naval response will be a couple of days as they just got the notice of war happening.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:45 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:G, your our OP what do you think? FAQ, getting started, Char backstories, keeping the lores (but maybe make them simpler and smaller)?

Tough to say, really. What would you include in an FAQ?

I currently going to push these ideas, so it hasn't been that well thought out, but I was figuring commonly asked questions and the more unique questions, but I intend to copy asked questions that forum users had asked. Basically I intend to copy the questions people ask in the future.
Getting Started seems like, to be of use, it would have to be both massive and dense, and I would rather not scare off new folks. Our OP is intimidating enough already.

G, I think it's worse to get thrown in not knowing what to do, and while it may seem intimidating people who join are people who tend to acknowledge that this is no kitty RP. :p
Lore solves most problems, but getting people to write it is hard.

True, but I figured a good summary of the nation, its ideals, history, and government might be neccessary. I'm not asking like the old lore where you wrote about the infrastructure. You went a tad bit overboard last time.
Character bios wouldn’t be bad, but I feel they’ll be only a half-measure, as they likely will cover

All they need is a good establishment of what they are. It's really for the last gen and older Authors who've been around so long no one knows what they did really. For Ted I'd assume three paragraphs could be written, or more.
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

Ulls
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am

I wouldn't mind answering a FAQ about Ego, even if I lose.

Yatzatz
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Yatzatz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 am

So maybe a brief summary of each region instead of each country, such as North America, Japan, the British Isles, Scandinavia, South Europe... (regions just given as examples, not meant to be actual suggested regions)
Or maybe a quick summary of current events.
Or maybe just a newspaper-headline-like tab.

There are plenty of way to maybe not do it perfectly, but still enough to help new players understand what's going on.
Hi!
Yatzatz is a tropical North Pacific nation. RP population is about 25 million.
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog; it feeds the hand that bites it. -Laurence J. Peter
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. -John Adams
Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted. -Fred Allen

Creator of NS Alternate WW2, a historical-based WW2 with NS countries thrown in.

Ulls
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:40 am

Yatzatz wrote:So maybe a brief summary of each region instead of each country, such as North America, Japan, the British Isles, Scandinavia, South Europe... (regions just given as examples, not meant to be actual suggested regions)

There are plenty of way to maybe not do it perfectly, but still enough to help new players understand what's going on.

Perhaps it can be creative depending on the nation? Imperial newspapers or Ego having reports,art, and maybe books of the Ninth War?

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am

Does the Imperium have public newspapers?
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:53 am

G-tech would you be okay with RP'ing the battle between the forces of the khanate and the forces of Jadespear.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Ralnis wrote:Does the Imperium have public newspapers?

Hmm. I hadn’t actually thought about this, but I think it would be logical to say that larger cities do, yes. One of the first things Viktor introduced eight decades ago was the use of communal broadsheets to encourage literacy and expedite information flow.

@ Ted: Anything you wanna do, knock yourself out :P

@ Lab: I probably don’t have the time, I am afraid. You know they are at the other end of the Yangtze from you though, right? A deployment to fight them would cross hundreds of miles.

@ Ulls: Sorry about no Minnesota post. If you can detail the geopolitical situation up there, I can run a weighted RNG to kick you an outcome.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Hmm. I hadn’t actually thought about this, but I think it would be logical to say that larger cities do, yes. One of the first things Viktor introduced eight decades ago was the use of communal broadsheets to encourage literacy and expedite information flow.

@ Lab: I probably don’t have the time, I am afraid. You know they are at the other end of the Yangtze from you though, right? A deployment to fight them would cross hundreds of miles.

@ Ulls: Sorry about no Minnesota post. If you can detail the geopolitical situation up there, I can run a weighted RNG to kick you an outcome.

Ah okay I though they were far closer.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 pm

:?:
G, please clarify
Last edited by Holy Tedalonia on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulls
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm

The tribes of Minnesota have been working with the Skulk for years as their communities have been going through Minnesota to watch out for Bison Chasers after the Wisconsin Campaign, so about 5-6 years of trading and connections with tribes over there.

Mafia have came in about a year and some months to scout the frontier when they sent scouts west and found iron. Skulk then came to them in secret and would help with tribes who wish to still be independent but do enjoy the advancements Ego brings.

The Mafia then started to bring advancements and have tribes who work with them as an working extention but now they wish to get them as a vassal state in exchange for iron, technological corporation and of course horses.

The Skulk had also brought a prominent chief by the name of Onto from Dakota that were a better, and closer ally, who would benefit witn horses and irrigation with some hopes that they can be a buffer against the Bison Chasers but they have yet to see if their willing to do that.

Yatzatz
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Yatzatz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Yatzatz wrote:So maybe a brief summary of each region instead of each country, such as North America, Japan, the British Isles, Scandinavia, South Europe... (regions just given as examples, not meant to be actual suggested regions)

G? You like one of these ideas?
Hi!
Yatzatz is a tropical North Pacific nation. RP population is about 25 million.
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog; it feeds the hand that bites it. -Laurence J. Peter
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. -John Adams
Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted. -Fred Allen

Creator of NS Alternate WW2, a historical-based WW2 with NS countries thrown in.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 pm

I'll have a post up soon, going to make a post about Bob making criminal connections.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:It's actually been several hours, not just one hour.

Well there is also the semaphore system, which can transit messages quickly across Ego. Though even that will take some time.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

Well there is also the semaphore system, which can transit messages quickly across Ego. Though even that will take some time.

Who set up the flag system?

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Ralnis wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Well there is also the semaphore system, which can transit messages quickly across Ego. Though even that will take some time.

Who set up the flag system?

Reading this makes me want to make a flag for my nation...

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote: :?:
G, please clarify

In terms of putting together new-writer info.

Ulls wrote:The tribes of Minnesota have been working with the Skulk for years as their communities have been going through Minnesota to watch out for Bison Chasers after the Wisconsin Campaign, so about 5-6 years of trading and connections with tribes over there.

Mafia have came in about a year and some months to scout the frontier when they sent scouts west and found iron. Skulk then came to them in secret and would help with tribes who wish to still be independent but do enjoy the advancements Ego brings.

The Mafia then started to bring advancements and have tribes who work with them as an working extention but now they wish to get them as a vassal state in exchange for iron, technological corporation and of course horses.

The Skulk had also brought a prominent chief by the name of Onto from Dakota that were a better, and closer ally, who would benefit witn horses and irrigation with some hopes that they can be a buffer against the Bison Chasers but they have yet to see if their willing to do that.

Ah, so Ego is diverting a good portion of her iron and new horse stocks to bribing Minnesotan tribes into joining?

The Orson Empire wrote:Well there is also the semaphore system, which can transit messages quickly across Ego. Though even that will take some time.

I'm pretty sure you mentioned the semaphore as a future system for the Blue Lagoon Company to construct, not an existent system, no?

Ulls
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm

G, please clarify

Ulls wrote:The tribes of Minnesota have been working with the Skulk for years as their communities have been going through Minnesota to watch out for Bison Chasers after the Wisconsin Campaign, so about 5-6 years of trading and connections with tribes over there.

Ah, so Ego is diverting a good portion of her iron and new horse stocks to bribing Minnesotan tribes into joining?

I'm pretty sure you mentioned the semaphore as a future system for the Blue Lagoon Company to construct, not an existent system, no?

Yes, but on the notion that there's good relations for Minnesota and Dakota, but more Minnesota than Dakota by time.

Also I would be working with them develop, but for somewhat different reasons.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Who set up the flag system?

Reading this makes me want to make a flag for my nation...

I have a nation, but I don't think a Jolly Roger with gears is a good sign of a nation.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 pm

G, please clarify

So this mean stuff that if I would present a decent set of information, then you'd put it on the OP? What about char backgrounds for example? Do I ask to write for others, ask them to write, or simply format an app?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse