NATION

PASSWORD

Personification Life, the Universe, & Everything [IC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:22 am

Chrys frowned in surprise. "Volker doesn't usually miss that, though it was a bit of an unusual occurrence with the all-Residents Meeting. Which, come to think of it, I hope it hasn't put you off to meet everyone. Demens' Chosen" - as a mystical figure, Chrys chose the phrasing that felt most natural to her - "have all sorts of people. Godlings, mortals, Luxans, soldiers, healers, ..." She continued chattering all the way to the lobby desk, where Volker put down his Underworld Times and looked up as the two approached.

"Ja?"

"Hello Volker! The new Resident and I were just wondering which room he'd been assigned to." The omission of Desmond's name was jarring amidst all the pleasantries, but Chrys knew Volker would fill that in as he looked on the clipboard.

"Ja, ja - Desmond Beckett. Now in 3D." The cultist valiantly resisted the urge to imagine the Lobby filling with movie 3D glasses and cackle while doing so. "Next to your own former room. While you are here, you might wish to bring Meritari Ir-en Useramun on a tour. And our other new Resident, Zan Kraken."

"In the communal dining room, still at the Meeting," Madame Toussaint added helpfully.

"Thank you both," Chrys called out cheerfully, and motioned to Desmond and Meritari to go ahead of her.

"One moment," Volker stood and clapped his hands together lightly. Amidst the hubbub, Chrys hadn't noticed the lease still sitting on the top of the desk. "It is and it is not, Meritari; this is Demens' magic. We have people of many times and places, so he must accommodate them all. And now, if you could sign it so that our security system decides not to make sport of you?"

He proffered another pen.
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Reventus Koth wrote:"Room G18, that's my lab," Zan dismissively told the people surrounding him as he began walking away. "That's where I'm heading. This room is suffocating."

Maghrl's ears flicked back, realizing he probably should have toned back. It was a lot to take in, people from different times and universes. The squib stood for a moment, trying to think what he could do. Would following, offering the chance to properly explain what he meant? Maghrl was certain he had a datapad somewhere that detailed the Rebellion. The topic was one of his favorites as a youth... He could offer it to Zan for... No for free, this wasn't the time for barter, Zan was an ally and would need some help settling in.

The Squib glanced as one of the women, Chrys, if he remembered right, followed after as one of the others left to. Another new person, wearing an ancient looking space suit. Maghrl sighed and excused himself from the few nearby before jogging after Zan.

"Zan! Maghrl help MonCala settle, yes?" The Jedi offered, padding alongside the Mon Calamari. "Building... Confusing. Likely, Maghrl and Zan see BuildingShape in similar views, being from near enough in worldtime." Maghrl omitted the fact there's at least one other person from their home universe, or at least an iteration of it, that could wait until later.

"Plus plus, Maghrl curious about Zan too-wise. Mag could feel... intenseness of Moncala curiosity."

Sterling gave a warm smile and nod to Brit, ushering her along after Willow. They had plenty to do and it wouldn't hurt to get a start on such matters as soon as possible. Whatever it would be, they could all be a huge help. Brit seemed fairly silent for now, but given the fact they had told her really nothing about what they as a group were doing, she might ask some soon.

The trio were soon in the library, and the librarian couldn't help feel like he'd been neglecting duties in keeping this place tidy too. He had back in the day but since then it seemed like the library was gathering more and more dust. The pony flicked his tail gently over some of the shelves as he past, dusting off just a bit as he idly used magic to tidy up some books left lying out and that were disorganized.

"Oh yes, the equipment. She said something about a new room in the back didn't she?" The purple pony replied, trotting towards the far end of the library to search for some new door. It honestly only took a few seconds. A door more set to be a swivel barrier than a proper door, it lacked a latch(but did have a lock, Sterling noted) which would allow anyone who pushed the door to open it. Perfect for a Librarian pushing a cart! Or a pony who lacked hands, such as Willow and himself. "Oh, I think I found it. Back in a tick." He shouted over the bookshelves towards the others, before pushing his way past and into his new... would workshop be accurate?

The librarian pony was rather excited. It was a while since he had felt useful for the Chosen. Something about that meeting had... reinvigorated him. It felt like a new start almost. Like his talents could be useful, even to an organization like this.

Meanwhile, the Skritarii named Etzic was... rather supremely confused by this whole thing. This was the organization Venla was working for? What strange goals. He'd have to commune with his ancestors sometime to see if he was even allowed to work for such a group. Unless he was mistaken, it was some sort of holy order under this... Greater Being? Was that something like his own Creator, Kawa-tang? Such strange concepts...

But he had noticed pretty quickly he wasn't the only new one, and many of them seemed to be from disparate locations. Another non-human like himself, but of a species he never met, and a man wearing what looked similar to old human spacesuits. Both had left, and Etzic was feeling rather lost. He hadn't much reason to run for his new room yet, and he'd lost track of Rmwtwyllin in the chaotic movement of people before the meeting.

But now that it was clearing up it seemed to Etzic like finding Rmw or following along with the new people were the only choices... With Rmw nowhere to be seen right now, he opted for the first.

The short rodent-like alien snuck his way out of the dining room and soon found his way to the lobby, just in time to hear the human running the desk mention something about a tour. The skritar stuck his head out of the stairwell, ears flicking a bit. "...Tour? I could also use a tour, I'd think." Etzic glanced around the room, noticing the darker skinned human and giving a small wave to them. Human phenotypes were so strange. Some so pale, others so dark, but none had fur, or any real defensive mechanism!
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Economa Incorporated
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Economa Incorporated » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Try as hard as he might, Desmond wasn't much listening to Chrys beyond the first sentence or two. Mostly, he was just trying to focus on putting one foot in front of the other without ending up on the floor. With shock and adrenaline wearing off, pain and exhaustion were setting in rapidly. His suit added a good deal of weight and resistance too him, and he'd been moving a lot further than from a car into a building with it. Add that to his recent "exercise," and his latent injuries were aflame. It was all he could do to keep a straight face and not curl up into the fetal position as he followed her to the lobby.

In a throbbing haze, he caught the occurrence of a conversation, but not the content. Neither did he concretely account for the arrival of a new resident, going through much the same process her had. At the moment, it was just a shape, making a noise, that he had no present desire to bring into focus.

A bead of sweat rolled off of his forehead and down his cheek, as his jaw clenched a little tighter. If he were not wearing gloves, one may have seen his knuckles fading to white as his hands clenched with increasing strength, one into a fist and the other wrapped around the rim of his helmet.
I tried so hard, and got so far, but in The End, it doesn't even matter.

TG me for any questions about my nation, mistakes or info inquires in an RP, or whatever else, anytime!

Proud rarity! A sane living resident of Black Mesa Islands! Sus and I, two sides of the same coin, until Chernobyl stops glowing. Cheeki Breeki, Comrade!

Loving member of Madhouse Productions.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:35 pm

The Building, Fifth Floor, Hospital

Amanda stood in the hospital's doorway, slowly turning her head as she tried to remember how the place was laid out. Where were the recovery rooms? She decided the row of doors opposite the operating theaters was the most likely place.

Her uniform boots clicked and creaked as she ran across the open floor between the doorway and the recovery rooms. “Sandy?” The first two rooms were empty, but Sandy was in the third, dried blood covering the side of his torn, green outfit. “Sandy!” She raced to his bedside.

“I'll be fine.” His tone had painkillers' dreamy softness. “It's... just a flesh wound.” He smiled warmly – Amanda was thrilled to see that! – but his smile was too cheery, despite him pointing to a wide bandage wrapped around his upper right arm.

Amanda looked him over for herself. True, he seemed fine other than the big bandage and some smaller gauze pads on his hands and forearms, but his... chiton! that's what it's called! was half-covered in blood, badly torn up along one edge, singed in places, and smelled of smoke. The IV line in his other arm didn't seem promising either. But he was alive and home. Her own smile blossomed: her husband was home!

She started to reach out to give him a hug, checked her motion, then gently framed his face with both hands before giving him a passionate kiss. Amanda leaned back, beaming.

She waited for Sandy to say something, but he seemed lost in thought, or a pleasant, druggy haze. She tried the obvious gambit. “What happened to your arm?”

“I was hit by a fragment of...” Sandy paused, trying to make sense of recent events. “During the fire, a gallery in the Library collapsed. Something hit me, hard... deep. I got the Balm on, but it was...” He drifted off, the painkillers making it hard for him to concentrate. “Nick can numb people with a touch, but that must have worn off when I came through the Gate, because I remember intense pain, and somebody catching me. I wonder who patched me up?” He gently prodded his bandage. “It seems pretty sore for magic, but maybe Anais had to reopen the Balm's stitch-job to regrow it.”

“Regrow it!” Amanda's eyes went big at a horrible thought: regrow his arm? “Regrow what? Sandy, don't hold out on me! What happened??”

“I... I told you. It cut deeply... it took a hunk out of my arm. Dear, I know you're worried, but it's been a jumble of a morning for me.”

“A morning?” She looked at her husband in confusion. “What do you mean? Were you in Alexandria for just a morning?”

He shook his head, and his eyes fell part-way closed, starting to fatigue. “Three days: Ashkelon... in Judea, to buy... to get things to try to blend in, a night aboard ship, then two days in Alexandria.”

“Two days...” Her tone quieted, became somber. “Sandy, you've been gone a year and a half.”

Sandy simply stared at Amanda, trying to come to grips with that. “I...” He gave up: he'd had too much, too much all at once, too much under the circumstances.

Amanda tried a better subject, one she was pretty sure she knew the answer to. “Did you get your book?”

Sandy instantly brightened, his face becoming animated as his eyes gleamed. “We got far more than one book, Amanda! We got hundreds! Bins of them! More than my wildest imaginings.”

“The book I wanted turns out to be sixty volumes. Sixty volumes! I was looking for Euclid's Elements, but I got-- There's a math or logic book that starts with the syllogism and ends up proving that all of mathematics works. The Discussion of Magic is like that, along with practical advice like how to quickly adjust a recipe for an unusual number of people. It's like nothing in our age. The Kite Book is a primer, but we have... we have... We've lost so much.”

He shook his head, but then went on in a rush. “And I have holos of parts of two cities, and a Roman ship, and temples, Amanda! Temples and Olympian rituals! And... just people living in Alexandria, buying in the market. It'll revolutionize our understanding of the time and place.”

“And I... met two goddesses: Muses, Thalia and Melpomene. Real goddesses, not like the chaos avatars... like what Giovenith will grow up to be, with a divine aura, and...”

He trailed off, catching Amanda's uncertain expression. She took a breath before starting. “I'm not sure what to make of that, Sandy. I wouldn't normally doubt you, but speaking of kites, you are pretty high.”

Sandy fumbled with the holocam, eventually ejecting the memory shard, which he handed to Amanda. “See for yourself. That's this morning. The fire. The holodeck should be able to make sense of it. I sent back three more... and some other things, yester-- earlier. I'm not sure where they'd, uh, be.”

The burst of energy wore off, and Sandy seemed to sink into the bed. Amanda glanced at the opalescent memory device in her hand, then raised her face to Sandy with a huge grin. He may be high, but he's too serious a scholar to claim evidence he didn't have. She leaned over him and gave him another huge kiss. “Just rest, Sandy dear. You did good.”

She got a weak smile in return, but Sandy was too tired to add anything else. Amanda backed out of the room, turned around, and headed for the holodeck, holding the shard tightly. Sandy's professional world was mostly closed to her, but now she could get a glimpse of it. Correction: her world, long ago; the memory crystal held a documentary for the ages.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Reventus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Reventus Koth » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:Maghrl's ears flicked back, realizing he probably should have toned back. It was a lot to take in, people from different times and universes. The squib stood for a moment, trying to think what he could do. Would following, offering the chance to properly explain what he meant? Maghrl was certain he had a datapad somewhere that detailed the Rebellion. The topic was one of his favorites as a youth... He could offer it to Zan for... No for free, this wasn't the time for barter, Zan was an ally and would need some help settling in.

The Squib glanced as one of the women, Chrys, if he remembered right, followed after as one of the others left to. Another new person, wearing an ancient looking space suit. Maghrl sighed and excused himself from the few nearby before jogging after Zan.

"Zan! Maghrl help MonCala settle, yes?" The Jedi offered, padding alongside the Mon Calamari. "Building... Confusing. Likely, Maghrl and Zan see BuildingShape in similar views, being from near enough in worldtime." Maghrl omitted the fact there's at least one other person from their home universe, or at least an iteration of it, that could wait until later.

"Plus plus, Maghrl curious about Zan too-wise. Mag could feel... intenseness of Moncala curiosity."

Zan may have been in a shitty state, but if nothing else he knew a smart idea when it jumped out in front of him. Maghrl, maybe more than anyone in this building, was his ally. How long had it been since he had seen someone from their shared universe? The lab could wait.

He stopped and closed his eyes, waiting for a deep sigh to subside before he refocused on the little Squib at his side. "'Too-wise', that's a unique way to put it. I'd like to think I'm pretty smart, but...how can you tell? We've hardly shared a few sentences with one another. Is that some..." he paused for a minute, swallowing the ridiculousness of what he was saying, "...Jedi power you have? Honestly, I would think anyone in my situation would be as 'curious' as I am, right? " Zan rambled as he continued his path to the exit once again.
Formerly known as Ambroscus Koth, +1843 posts. Trust no one.
Xanthal wrote:Only raiders can win in this war- a defender can keep them from winning one region, one update at a time, but there will always be the next region, the next update, and the next, forever.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Reventus Koth wrote:"'Too-wise', that's a unique way to put it. I'd like to think I'm pretty smart, but...how can you tell? We've hardly shared a few sentences with one another. Is that some..." [...] "...Jedi power you have? Honestly, I would think anyone in my situation would be as 'curious' as I am, right?"

Maghrl smiled softly, padding alongside the Mon Calamari with perked ears pointed towards him. He seemed a lot more bright even with this little contact. "Ah yes yes. Zan from beforewise Jedi Order rebirthed... Zan right-correct! Force-sensible beings are.... special-empathetic. Can thoughtfeel emotion, basic thoughtpattern. ZanMind fast, quickwise, strong, from first-initial forcefeels of Maghrl's." The squib grinned up at the Squid alien and tapped his own temple. "Mindthings tricky, lesso if Jedi."

Though, the squib quickly switched gears, honing in on the mention of his weird phraseology. "Magh's speechpattern though? Total Squibbish heritageness. Squib strugglewise with Basic. Squibbish Squibban much much different fromwise Basic, makes hardness to learnwise simpler languages such Basic. Mag practice, practice, practice..." He shrugs then sighs himself, rather animated out of nowhere. The caution of a bit ago couldn't keep back the purple furred alien's ridiculous eagerness and irrepressibly happy nature. "But nope, nope! No use."

"Yes, yes, Mostbeing curious about things when newness happen. But Zan... Zan different. Curious-nature deep, deep, deeper! To very core of self, yes? Like emotioness and exchangeness goes to squib center, yes yes. Zan be thinkerbeing. Thinking all time, good science-scientist!" Strange redundancy was common in his dialect it seemed. "Force flow through allness. Zan, Maghrl. Everybeing everything everywhere!" He made a little jump, arms splaying wide to make his point a bit more "Makes simple to readthink other mind, usualwise. Some being more guardmentally, and Maghrl respect privatethoughts, yes. Surface emotioness hard to miss though!"
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:50 pm

As medical alerts went, this was rather tame. Still, the pager had beeped and buzzed upon Anais' hip, making the Ritualist jump at the feel of the small device buzzing across her abdomen. Sandy and Amanda had reassured she would get used to this, but given how few and far between emergencies went that required her attention, Anais was beginning to doubt their reassurances. As the trifling piece of technology buzzed and beeped and incessantly made its presences known before nimble fingers pressed the "off" switch, the number and short message upon the screen told her everything she needed to know:

Hospital; level 5. Alert status 3

Such was enough to interrupt her meditation as feet sprang her to motion, grabbing her staff along the way. Alexia had the same page, but Anais raised her hand to stop her before the Monk could go any further.

"I'll call you if needed. Keep at the ready," Anais said simply, chitin, shells and beads ran in unison that matched her brisk pace leading out the Guild hall. Alexia bowed her head and moved off to attend to her own affairs. The Ritualist took a deep breath and held it longer than she had anticipated, letting it go when the doors of the elevators opened to the fifth floor.

Who could it be, she wondered? So many had left and were away on missions before the meeting that the guess was as good as anyone else's. How serious the injuries were only let a quiet prayer her patron god that her restorative spells would mend them or else ease their passing.

She saw Amanda exit the hospital and something sharp hit her in the belly. Could it be Sandy? Perhaps not, it was not her place to presume and could be entirely unrelated.

"Mrs. Bela," Anais greeted with a curt nod, the shells, bones and beads rang in a dull tone as she bowed her head in greeting. Her eyes immediately darted and scanned the woman before her for any injuries, counting none to be of note, the Guild leader continued, "I only just got the page that we have a patient in the hospital. Is everything alright?"
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:00 am

Tiltjuice wrote:---

Holy Lykos wrote:---

Economa Incorporated wrote:---

Meritari continued to hold her papyri while she waited for Volker to answer her various questions and hopefully orient her a little in this strange and unfamiliar place, not expecting to be interrupted so suddenly by a woman whose features were even stranger to her than Volker's, as her skin was as if without blood, her eyes nearly transparent and her hair like strands of gold. More than the familiarity that Volker and the woman seemed to have with each other, more than the apparent importance of the matter they were discussing, it was this alienness that made her refrain from interrupting them, instead simply staring on with equal parts astonishment and curiosity, though the first part she attempted to suppress; she was in a strange land now, and she did not know if those features were common for the people of this land, and she did not wish to offend them if this was so.

One thing that caught the Kemetian's attention was the mention of having the strange woman bring her on a tour, a possibility brought up by Volker. Curious, she turned to look at the stranger's face, wondering what else she might see in that place and why they were so eager to show it to her. After all, despite having awakened there and having the intuition that Volker and Madame Toussaint had to do with her new situation, she did not yet know that this was to be her new home, or that she would need to be able to navigate its corridors on her own. Of course, even with all of that, Meritari certainly did not mind the idea of a tour, as the information could be useful and, if nothing else, she could learn about and get used to this new world.

When the two finished talking and the bright woman looked at Meritari, motioning for her to approach, she hesitated for a moment, as even though she liked the idea of a tour, it was a bit too sudden. She hadn't even finished her conversation with Volker, after all. But not a moment after, the man clapped his hands together and addressed her once more, giving her explanations that she could grasp but didn't fully understand. Then, he produced a strange artifact that she did not recognize. Since he seemed to be offering to her, she took it into her left hand, assuming from his lack of resistance that she had been correct, and then observed the artifact carefully, trying to discern its function, to no avail. Confusion crossed her face as she pondered what was to be her next action. After all, she would much prefer not to be made sport by the security system, whatever that meant.

As she meditated, she looked around the room, noticing that the bright woman was not the only newcomer. Not far from her, there was a man clad in a very strange suit of armor, with features again similar to those of a themehu man, and who seemed to be in pain. Further away, and by far the most surprising, was what appeared to be a strange creature, an unknown animal seemingly morphed into the shape of a man. Naturally, to the confused Meritari, who had seen a decent amount of things in her time as a scholar of ancient traditions but nothing quite like this, the creature made the other woman seem completely mundane and acceptable by comparison. Once more she was astonished, but then she caught the being making a reassuringly human gesture, and that was, for the time being at least, enough to make her pay less attention to the differences and return the gesture instead, before turning back to the strange artifact Volker had handed her and trying to make sense of it.
Last edited by Zarkenis Ultima on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Lobby

"So far so good... The humans seem to not mind my presence as much as I assumed... Though that one darker human seems positively startled by me..." Etzic thought to himself, before properly stepping out of the stairwell door and into the lobby. His tail swished and coiled behind him, the long limb almost in a defensive posture as he looked over the room.

But it wasn't hard for Etzic to notice the difficulty the dark human was having with the contract. The alien glanced around nervously for a moment, going around the edge of the group then dashing over to Meritari. He seemed rather uncomfortable to be surrounded totally by people he didn't know, with his quills standing up on end along with much of the short fur covering his hide. Long tail coiled up around his leg, as Etzic pointed to the line at the bottom of the page then the pen handed to her.

"This one took me a bit too. We skritarii have different traditions for contracts than humans. I'm assuming you're from a different culture based on reaction to different things. Sign your name at the bottom, or the closest... approximation. The utensil is a 'pen'. Its for writing without quill or stone, usually on more perishable materials such as papyrus and paper." Etzic mumbled a bit, eyes darting around and trying to keep track of everyone as he spoke.

"Apologies for the rude approach. My name is Etzic Vkayl." He took the time to pronounce his name a bit more intently (Et-zic Vee-Kay-el), but luckily unlike some aliens here his name was simple to say. "It seems yourself, that spacewalker, and myself are all new. A pleasure to meet you." For something so totally, well, alien to Meritari, she might notice the manners spoke of culture similar to her own in some ways, as might the markings on his clothing and fur. In fact, they had basically the same profession.

"Anyway, just, uh... Sign your name on the line for the contract if you agree to the terms."
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:---

Absorbed as she was in the task of figuring out the purpose of the small artifact she had been given, Meritari did not notice the movement of the strange humanoid creature that had waved at her until it was right next to her, pointing at the sheet that had the writing of her people and then at the artifact. Startled by his sudden presence, she jumped a little and took a step back, but quickly calmed herself and listened to what the creature had to say. Despite having been startled at his presence and confused at his appearance, her first impression of him was fairly positive: the way he spoke made him seem quite knowledgeable, and he seemed to have a certain openness regarding customs different than his own, which was a quality she appreciated, as she strove to be the same way. She surmised, from his words, that he was from a people called the 'skritarii', though she had never heard of such a thing. Spirits from a distant land, perhaps?

Now was not the time for speculating about the creature's origins, however. He was going out of his way to help her by explaining the function of the artifact and the meaning of the instruction that Volker had given her, and she was grateful for that, using the pen to draw a small line on the back of one of the papyri she was carrying and quickly confirming that it could indeed be used to write. The Kemetian smiled slightly upon discovering this, but before she could sign the contract, she noticed that the creature decided to continue talking, and listened politely to him, noting the apology and nodding as he introduced himself. She didn't quite know what he meant when he mentioned a 'spacewalker', but she did understand that he was new to this place, as new as her, though despite that he seemed to be far better adapted to his surroundings.

"It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Etzic Vkayl, and thank you kindly for assisting me. My name is Meritari." The woman introduced herself as well, smiling at the creature, before turning back to the clipboard on Volker's counter, briefly reading the lease contract and then using the pen she held in her left hand to write down the hieroglyphs that spelled her name. After considering for a moment how Volker continually referred to her not just by her name, but also by her father's name, however, she decided to include that as well, writing 'flesh of Useramun' after her name. Afterwards, she put down the pen and nodded at Volker, before turning to the pale woman and her companion and taking a couple of steps towards them, her skeletal right hand still holding remnants of ancient wisdom close to her.

"You will show me this place, then?"
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!

Reventus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Reventus Koth » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:Maghrl smiled softly, padding alongside the Mon Calamari with perked ears pointed towards him. He seemed a lot more bright even with this little contact. "Ah yes yes. Zan from beforewise Jedi Order rebirthed... Zan right-correct! Force-sensible beings are.... special-empathetic. Can thoughtfeel emotion, basic thoughtpattern. ZanMind fast, quickwise, strong, from first-initial forcefeels of Maghrl's." The squib grinned up at the Squid alien and tapped his own temple. "Mindthings tricky, lesso if Jedi."

Though, the squib quickly switched gears, honing in on the mention of his weird phraseology. "Magh's speechpattern though? Total Squibbish heritageness. Squib strugglewise with Basic. Squibbish Squibban much much different fromwise Basic, makes hardness to learnwise simpler languages such Basic. Mag practice, practice, practice..." He shrugs then sighs himself, rather animated out of nowhere. The caution of a bit ago couldn't keep back the purple furred alien's ridiculous eagerness and irrepressibly happy nature. "But nope, nope! No use."

"Yes, yes, Mostbeing curious about things when newness happen. But Zan... Zan different. Curious-nature deep, deep, deeper! To very core of self, yes? Like emotioness and exchangeness goes to squib center, yes yes. Zan be thinkerbeing. Thinking all time, good science-scientist!" Strange redundancy was common in his dialect it seemed. "Force flow through allness. Zan, Maghrl. Everybeing everything everywhere!" He made a little jump, arms splaying wide to make his point a bit more "Makes simple to readthink other mind, usualwise. Some being more guardmentally, and Maghrl respect privatethoughts, yes. Surface emotioness hard to miss though!"

The longer Zan spent here, the more he realized how much his outlook affected the way he makes sense of the universe and his place in it. Or was it the multiverse now? Regardless, he had been speaking with Maghrl for not five minutes and already he was noticing that he was no longer rationalizing his surroundings as some sort of dream or hallucination, or even as a mistake or a lie. His mind was racing with possibilities about the future of their world, the advancements he could make, the potential of the Agency.

So it caught Zan a bit off guard how quickly he was accepting The Force as a real, ubiquitous phenomenon. Not 24 hours had passed since he had departed his homeworld, and he was already accepting that what he once disregarded as ancient exaggeration and folklore was now one of the few things keeping him anchored not only to logic and the physics of the multiverse, but to his previous life. What is a scientist, after all, if not one willing to completely dismiss what was once considered universal knowledge in the face of irrefutable evidence to the contrary?

It didn't make the chemist any less comfortable with having a Squib poke around his mind, though. Even if nothing else in the multiverse was sacred at this point, his brain was a treasure.

"Well, I'm glad you don't try to dig any deeper. I appreciate that much. You're right though, I'm a scientist. I guess that means I'm always trying to make sense of things. Needless to say I have my work cut out for me..." Zan trailed off. He wasn't sure if it was just everything about the day piling up on him or if it had anything to do with the Squib's mind powers, but he was definitely starting to deal with a headache. He raised his arm to his bulbous head and gave a low grunt.

"So where are we heading first?"
Last edited by Reventus Koth on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Ambroscus Koth, +1843 posts. Trust no one.
Xanthal wrote:Only raiders can win in this war- a defender can keep them from winning one region, one update at a time, but there will always be the next region, the next update, and the next, forever.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Lobby group

Chrys' gaze shifted with the movement of Meritari's hand over the paper, and widened at the sight of the bare bone. Although no longer the gladiatrix of yore, or even the frontline fighter that she had been at one point, the coiled energy deep within her moved her along, almost of its own will...She shook herself again, visibly. Unlike the half-remembered events that might have been fever dreams, this puppeting of her body was something she well knew, and she fought it down as best she could in response to the servant of Death suddenly revealed to her.

The shock of ice up and down her spine at her disobedience made her gasp and straighten suddenly; and steam began rising off her shoulders and back in her natural response to the sudden chill. She stepped away hastily, murmuring apologies as she forced herself to relax again. Demens wouldn't have chosen a follower of someone who was sometimes at odds with her own pantheon - and her, by extension. No, there wouldn't be any proxy wars going on in the family.

She hoped.

"Please forgive that display, everyone," the entreaty came forth in her usual bellsong tones, but Volker, the most familiar with her, could tell she was shaken. To Meritari, she continued, "We all will. The man here," she indicated Desmond with a pale, yet calloused hand that would have confused many a European aristocrat, "Etzic, and myself - Chrys. Although I believe our anonymous friend grows weary, and would like to be shown to his rooms, which are not far from where I used to live. After that, however, most of Demens Towers is ours to see. There will be some locations that are locked away from ordinary visits, and of course privacy reigns over each of our apartments."
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

Swith Witherward
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Swith Witherward » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:59 am

Dining Room

"Marcus, I didn't choose to be with you not knowing of the different worlds we come from. I know that sometimes you must leave me, and that you're used to doing things in a harsher way. I already accepted that." - 'A harsher way' put it mildly, from Marcus' point of view - "What I want is for us to be able to figure out how to balance those things for the sake of us."

Relief swept over him, a sweet wave which purged the last of his self doubts and left a wholesome calm in its place. She extended her hand and an offer for games and pumpkin, and the universe righted itself in an instant. Stubble-clad cheeks shifted to reveal a boy's enthusiastic smile. The expression didn't falter as the resident tabby bounded over.

Nick was a fixture in the Lobby. Marcus had taken it for granted that the cat would always be sitting in his basket on the desk when not basking in the morning sun. His long absence hadn't gone unnoticed. A tree shouldering its anticipation of the sparrow returning after a long winter could perhaps relate to the mournful basket awaiting its companion. That basket, along with the man observing it, were both inwardly rejoicing this day.

"Good to have you back, Nick!"

It didn't do any good to ask Where have you been? Given the nature of their lives, the most likely answer would be, You would NOT believe! Instead, he gestured in the direction Giovenith pointed out earlier, then regarded the cat once more. "We were about to play some games and enjoy pumpkin. You want to come along? I'm sure you've got a story to tell us!"

Ocho and Nila politely excused themselves. It was indeed getting a bit crowded, and both would be underfoot.
★ Senior P2TM RP Mentor ★
How may I help you today?
TG Swith Witherward
Why is everyone a social justice warrior?
Why didn't any of you choose a different class,
like social justice mage or social justice thief?
P2TM Mentor & Personal Bio: Gentlemen, Behold!
Raider Account Bio: The Eternal Bugblatter Fennec of Traal!
Madhouse
Role Play
& Writers Group
Anti-intellectual elitism: the dismissal of science, the arts,
and humanities and their replacement by entertainment,
self-righteousness, ignorance, and deliberate gullibility. - sauce

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:---

Waiting to receive an answer or simply be taken on a tour by the bright pale woman, whose demeanor she had judged to be kind and cheerful, Meritari was at a loss regarding how to react when the woman instead shook as her eyes went wide. For a moment, the Kemetian did not know what might have caused such a strange reaction; however, her gaze soon followed the other woman's, and as she saw what was there, a complete lack of expression settled on her face, concealing her inner turmoil. During the two years that she had studied magic in a hidden temple outside of the capital of Kemet, she had always been able to show it freely to her peers, to the point that it became something mundane in her eyes. However, seeing such a strong reaction to the sight of her skeletal hand reminded made her feel somewhat uneasy. The steam certainly did not help matters, either.

The apologies that came after the pale woman had calmed down helped ease her mind somewhat, though she still a need, a responsibility even, to be wary of who was able to see that which marked her as someone who had returned from death; for now, the best she could do was try to conceal her hand among the papyri she held, and listen. The woman's name was Chrys, a strange name, perhaps even a little stranger to her than Etzic's, though she was not one to judge now that she found herself in strange lands.

The rest of the Chrys' words were met with sporadic nods from the Kemetian. She was eager to know more about this place that was to become her new home, this Demens' Tower as it was called, but if a member of their small group did not feel well and wished for some time alone, she respected that.

Before they set off, however, she felt there was one thing she had to say. "I understand. I look forward to seeing the Tower, and I apologize if my... condition has caused you alarm." She said politely, a hint of regret in her voice.

Fvaarniimar
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fvaarniimar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Two quite-similar girls sat side by side in silence, ready for the Meeting. Rmwtyliin Saagve Annvyeelee Fvvarniimalasaakuuliia shivered as she read the clearly-bookmarked, somewhat-hysterical explanation of the Foreign Spirit War her copy (whose origins apparently involved spirits, Mi or Emi or even Neemi, and reeds) had recorded. Nervously, she scratched her leg - the shorts had been perfectly fine, until she'd thrown the uniform over them. Three ribbons - hastily wound around her wrist and knotted - slipped down. The taste of apple lingered in her mouth.

Paper-Rmwtyliin, chosen full name Rmwtyliin Sage Tefvaajymf Ryjrrezneemi, chosen nickname Rymryyjj, fiddled with the end of a pink-elasticked braid - the rest of her body was held inhumanly still. Hopefully her notes would prove sufficient, hopefully she hadn't been too flippant... hopefully Demens would refrain from smiting them!

The Rmwtyliins had just enough time to realize that the garment was blood-colored before reality rewrote. Some details of the past 1/125th of the day faded - but most of the edits were additions. For instance, they recalled gradually growing comfortable with the Burrows area due to the blessed erasure of the utter terror which had been Ascalon -

Rmwtyliin had had a long and confusing day; the changes were a slow dawn, barely noticed by the tired young woman. Rymryjj, by contrast, understood for an instant precisely what was happening as over an entire year of memories slipped and shifted - and she smiled, glad to let it change. Neither struggled to hold on to the old memories as their new ones slotted neatly into place - memories, among other things, of getting to the room some minutes earlier than had originally been the case, as Rmwtyliin been less nervous and hadn't wasted time agonizing over what could have been done differently, and finally encountering each other almost identically -

A hand guided Rmwtyliin aside, and she found that she was facing - well, herself. A self with a large smile, confident though a little forced… and fiddling with her hair. Nervous, clearly. Was she -

Rmwtyliin's eyes widened as her doppelganger placed her left hand on her thigh - a Fvaarniimarn gesture roughly equivalent to a very deep bow.

“Greetings, Rmwtyliin Saagve Annvyeelee Fvvarniimalasaakuuliia. I am Rmwtyliin Sage Tefvaajymf Ryjrrezneemi, and finally to meet you gladdens my heart.”

The utterly confused young woman blinked, then determined to figure out the puzzle. She calls herself by my own name, has my tattoo, knows my language and customs - a barely perceptible scrunching of her forehead. Not as though learnt, but as though they are her own. She takes a very simple first middle name, a girl's-name like my mother - in her honor? And her house-name involves spirits - but as part of another word, a name perhaps. Zneemi - mi, emi - neemi? Naomi? “You are Neoomi's child, correct? Yet you look like me, you hold my name, and - you must have known I would know that you share other things.”

Sagely, the addressed party nodded. “You may call me Rymryyj. As for Naomi - she created duplicates of those missing during the longest-nights festival.”

Reeds again. ”That was months from…”

“From when you left. Time is...less reliable here. You wear the clothes I remember, in the same condition. I gather only a few days have passed for you.” The young woman was quickly removing her uniform to reveal a faintly remembered pair of amethyst pajamas.

Rmwtyliin turned her head, pointing an ear at “Rymryyj.” She listened attentively as the strange girl explained that Bob and Morbus’ gathered information had been used to make these duplicates, and make them convincing. Her eyes widened as fear splashed across the other’s face, followed quickly by consternation as Rymryyj realized her original had noticed.

Irritated, she tossed Rmwtyliin her uniform and explained that the copies hadn't been intended to last. That had changed once Residents realized they were their own people - nevertheless, they lived on literally by the grace of Naomi. “Still - I often fear that, as my own self, I am not as capable. I have nightmares where I dissolve back into reed-tissue. In the strangest, I turn into tissue rolls placed by the dung-hole, dropped in after use -” They both knew this confession was a calculated move to gain Rmwtyliin's trust - and at the same time one springing from a sincere desire to actually confide in someone.

A desire they both knew Rmwtyliin shared. The original’s eyes widened. She lifted an eyebrow inquiringly. You're suggesting I confide in you.

Rymryyj tilted her head, looked down to her chest, looked at Rmwtyliin. Nodded. Also I in you. Yes.

Rmwtyliin stared at her double. Of course you plan on me reciprocating - her gaze lowered to her shoes. Red poop, I do wish to.

Rymryyj lifted an eyebrow. She considers it, obviously.

Rmwtyliin lifted her head and squinted as she zipped up her uniform. “You said you dissolve into reed tissue in dreams? Is that what you came from, Rymryyyyj? I knew not that Neoomi could...cause that.” Her eyes had grown quite wide; she stared her double as though she were a puzzle to solve. Rymryyj's lips quirked upwards. Rmwtyliin's gaze grew frustrated.

Her duplicate's grin widened as she explained that Naomi's seeming harmlessness was misleading, though her kindness wasn't. “To translate “gad” to “spirit” is close. Naomi is - consider her and her kin spirits in bodies. Her own nature approaches ‘spiritofconceptof love.’ She is responsible for me - I choose to revere and trust her.”

Rmwtyliin stared at Rymryyj, parted her lips briefly, looked up and off to the side. If I trust you - will you tell others? Say, Naomi?

Rymryyj too glanced up - to the ceiling, nodded, pushed out her lips. Of course we're watched, can't do anything about that. “Besides, Bob and Morbus should be trustworthy enough, yes? They are the spirits of this Dwelling.”

Eyebrows migrated inward, lips pressed together. You - you - Rmwtyliin's face smoothed out. Huh? “Yeeess, they are. Them, I must trust with any words spoken -” and, she fretted aloud, perhaps her very thoughts as well.

Rymryyj frowned, and made a face. “I misunderstood something. I thought you expected watchers - but you wish to know if I myself will betray confidences, yes?”

Rmwtyliin nodded, rather sheepishly.

“No. I promise, Rmwtyliin -” she went on to swear by multiple spirits, including that of the concept of a reed and Naomi herself. ‘Your secrets remain secret. I shall not even speak them aloud, outside your apartment. All I ask is the same of you.”

A look of honest confusion. “No one here speaks Fvaarniimarn…”

Rymryyj shook her head, stroked Paper-Duncan, and gestured to indicate all the space surrounding before holding out a creature dissimilar neither to a fish nor a leech. “They call this creature ‘Babble-fish.’ It allows people to speak and hear all languages.” She made a face. “Unfortunately, it helps not with written language. Duunkin does delay. These allow you to understand and be understood with no barriers - and,” she held Rmwtyliin's gaze, “Every Dweller may have them.”

Rmwtyliin frowned, smiled, frowned again, furrowed her forehead, looked nervously at the critter

“They are safe, and excellent for diplomacy.” That decided Rmwtyliin. She nodded, and made a discomfited face as the Babelfish was inserted in her left ear.

Rymryyj held out her bag; Rmwtyliin dropped in her shorts. They continued to chat, in an awkwardly tentative yet warm manner, as they snatched snacks. Rymryyj offered English tutoring as Rmwtyliin nibbled at a roll. Grinning, the pair snatched apples from the kitchen; Rymryyj took large bites. Rmwtyliin raised an eyebrow and nibbled sedately. Rymryyj took giant bites. Rmwtyliin made hers mouse-sized. Rymryyj de-seeded, broke, and theatrically swallowed the core. The two glanced at one another, and burst out laughing.

The good mood continued as they sat down for the Meeting of Dwellers with Rmwtyliin's nibbled apple. As said glanced through the meeting notes regarding the Agency/Society, she had Rymryyj clarify the Cup metaphor. Noticing the amount of people present, they tied ribbon bracelets on hastily…

“...Recap done," Minerva smiled. "Now for announcements." She pulled a slip of paper from her pocket and skimmed it. "The Bielefeld Fall Festival is coming up. That means Oktoberfest in Memorial Park, and the usual arts and crafts booths on Main Street. The Brisby's would like to remind everyone that the Leaf and Kettle Tea Emporium is running a special on pumpkin spiced foods - 10% off for all Residents." The pair exchanged a quick look. Tea! Yum! Neither had tried the flavor previously - Rmwtyliin had examined it dubiously, while Rymryyj liked the idea but hadn't had the chance before now.

Minerva turned towards a massive cyborg occupying half a table by himself. "Brother Adrastus would like to remind people that Priests are moving back to the Observatory, though we'll keep a crew here. This means that we now have space in the Building - and stocked labs and workshops - available for Mr. Kraken and Mr. Beckett, our newest Residents. Also a reminder - anything brought back from the field must go through the labs first, for proper testing. Professor Bela and Baron Primordial will likewise have a workshop for magical whats-its."

Minerva gestured to Sterling. "Mr. Venture, you'll find the book restoration room has some new equipment. Back of the library here, can't miss the new door."

The paper went back into her pocket. "Of course, we're due for a Zalgo, if Charumati is up to summoning. For now, however, we have a bit of a break." She rose on her tip toes to look over the Residents' heads. The windows behind them glimmered with morning sunlight. Just visible were the tops of the trees. Formerly green with late summer's crown, they were now a riotous palette reflecting Autumn's hues.

"That is all," Minerva finished. "If you need me, I'll be in my office downstairs. We have a few field assignments coming up, so keep your pagers close!"

Rymryyj sighed, pulling Rmwtyliin’s pager from her bag. Sheepishly, she proffered it; Rmwtyliin smiled, yawning. “It's really morning?”

The duplicate nodded. “We should grab some tea.” One of the coalescing groups caught her eye. Willow was familiar, kept fresh in mind by his duplicate; Sterling less so. Still, Rmwtyliin might well feel comfortable with the ponies… assuming the original was as different from his counterpart as was believed. Paper-Willow could be entirely too unsettling. Nevertheless, the surprisingly-strong paper girl steered the pair close to the group, and they caught snatches of conversation:

“...might be good for us all to create that group. Of course I'd be able to help! I was about to go check out the additions to the library! Want to come join me, Willow? ... be able to practice more of what I learned in school than ... a good meeting place for this research group of..."

In the kitchen, Rymryyj sipped her tea. “A research group, hm?”

Her counterpart slumped. “How helpful could I be, Rymryyj? I cannot even read the language. Besides, what if humans are not welcome?”

“Willow waved Brit over, so I expect they are. I suspect you could try and I know you wish to.”

Rmwtyliin smiled slightly, finishing off her tea. “You sound quite like Mother.”

They both smiled softly - and that, more than anything, quieted the last bit of doubt in Rmwtyliin's heart as to Rymryyj's identity. She'd asked the spirits for a confidant - and BOB and Morbus and Naomi had seen fit to grant that wish. Not just a confidant, either, but someone who could advise her -

“Okay.” Placebo effect of the hot infusion kicking in, a reinvigorated Rmwtyliin bounced towards the library. “I will heed your advice, and go!”

The trip would have been considerably more dramatic were the library farther off. As it was, the pair barely had time to plan on meeting later and for Rmwtyliin to affirm that Rymryyj remained welcome in her home.

Nervously, Rmwtyliin nudged open the door. “Hello, good morning,” she forced a convincingly friendly smile as she met the gazes of Willow, Sterling, and Brit in turn. Please, can I join you? “I heard you speaking of a research group. I wish to ask what you are researching?”

[OOC: Minerva and Sterling's dialogue copied. Credit goes to Swith/Cer and NA respectively...]
Come to the light side.  We have teamwork, waffles, popcorn, grape juice, and way too much ramen.

Unless one is a genealogist, therapist, geneticist, or FBI agent - who is acting within the scope of their job - to claim that anyone is wrong about their own identity is not merely absurd but also extremely rude.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:08 pm

The Building, Fifth Floor
Mincaldenteans wrote:"Mrs. Bela, [...] I only just got the page that we have a patient in the hospital. Is everything alright?"

Amanda was so lost in her own thoughts that she started to reply automatically, continuing a polite game the two women had been playing for almost two years. "Just Amanda, please." She gave the ritualist a broad, playful smile. "Should we invite your guild to dinner again? Perhaps we could--"

She frowned, brow furrowing, as what Anais said sunk in. "You just got the page? Sandy seems to the only one in the hospital, but somebody's already treated him. If it wasn't you or Alexia, who?"

"He seems to be well enough, though. He's definitely not an emergency case. We had a short conversation before he got too tired."

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 pm

MB went with the duo, still on Nila's head for a change.

Lobby group

I know that I do not know.

Chrys blinked now for the first time in many an age. Too much time spent among her own kind, and those who were similar to her. Hans, Mezran, even Tavana. The Ponies were good people, but she had passed too little of Time's favor onto them. Or so it seemed to her. Not enough to really learn what they thought and how they felt.

"Fate touches us all," Chrys replied, cryptically, to Meri. Even in ways I do not see. Demens brought you here for a reason, and now it is Fate's will that carries us all along.

"Besides the phone booth, the Thinking Bench, and Volker at his desk, you might notice quite a few doors. The set of rooms belonging to the Chaos set whom you might meet later, our bomb shelter first put in place many years ago, and the indoor gym and pool are old fixtures of the Building. One of the newer Residents is our mind healer, Ramanbir Narindra, and his office is also marked. Then there are the various research labs and workshops - none of which I have ever laid eyes on myself - and the library. For safety's sake, I'll take you there first, as I'm not familiar with everything there. And also for our friend's, as he appears nearly empty.

I believe all the Residents are free to use the library, and to leave behind a book in exchange for the one they take. I - oh, I'm sorry!" she called out as she saw the Research Team gathered, and rustling noises indicating the presence of some of the Paper characters sniffing about, or otherwise lurking. "I hope we aren't disturbing you - Giovenith, Willow, and company!"
mumblemumblemumble

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Library

Willow had been in the middle of snooping in a closet for a board when his ears swiveled to catch the clunking of the door. It was followed by several voices. He peaked out to find several new faces had arrived. Chrys was among them, as well as new residents, and a girl that Willow had occasionally seen walking around but didn't know personally. She was younger than Giovenith but didn't seem to be a part of the godling's social group. Either way, she seemed eager, and they could always use the help.

"Sure," he greeted, flying over (and nodding to Chrys in greeting along the way). He stopped to observe her briefly. "What's your name?"

It took Willow a second to notice that a doppelganger was with her. Twins? No, on closer inspection, the duplicate had that same atmosphere Sallow carried. A paper clone. Rampant little things, weren't they?
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Library - Knowledge is Fun!

Sterling took his time exploring the back room, marveling at the equipment. While many of the mechanical devices were familiar, some were more advanced than anything he knew of back home. They even had some of those computer things humans had made! Nothing excessively specialized, but for most books and materials it seemed to contain what Sterling would need to preserve, copy, or generally perform his librarianing duties. Just like back home in Equestria.

Well not quite, but close enough.

The moderate commotion near the entrance of the library though, he could very easily hear from all the way in the back. Sterling had to admit the place had fairly good acoustics for a library. maybe more sound dampening materials or plants on top of the bookcases could help keep little insular pockets for reading nooks...

Sterling trotted out of the back room, door swinging open as he shouldered it aside, and perked up when he saw the small crowd of visitors. "Welcome to the library!" He beamed, trotting to the front and giving a little bow (saving his fez from falling off with a bit of sterling blue magic). He let Willow handle Rmw and her double for now, he had his job as caretaker to do! "Ah, yes, I'm Sterling Venture. Unicorn Pony from Canterlot in Equestria. I suppose I'm taking on the job of caretaker of this library from now on! If anyone," He gave a little glance to the papyri Meri was holding," Has any reading materials, magic or otherwise, that need restoration or proper preservation feel free to find me. I'd be more than happy to reproduce books, scrolls, anything, if you would like the original stored safely. Or restore originals to the best of my ability for continued use.

"As I think I heard: The policy for the library is that its free to use, but generally good policy to leave books if you borrow one. Keep a healthy supply circulating. I was planning on moving some of my own collection here later today." He nodded, before glancing around the group. All new faces, including a rodent-like one who was peeking in from the hallway with a look that very easily gave away the caution they were feeling.

"Either way, thank you for stopping in. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them later, and feel free to stop in to read or discuss anything. The library, I guarantee, is always a quiet place for relaxation and meeting with friends. Or well, research. Usually research." Sterling smiled brightly, putting on his best face for the newcomers. It was probably one that Willow would recognize, given it was the one he usually wore while working the library back home.

Force and Chemistry

"Oh yes, yes. Maghrl will no dig forcemindwise unless Zan request. Mag request barterprice for forcemind treatment, though, yes yes." The wry smile on the squib's face would likely tell the squid alien the latter half was probably Maghrl joking... or not. Squib were a bit tricky like that as he likely knew.

"First! First first first first." The squib tapped his foot for a moment before nodding and tugging Zan along by his free arm's sleeve. "Zan lab, mosdefo. Mag curiouswise see whatthings Agencybeings providewise Zan, yes yes." With that, the Squib took the lead and went straight for where he figured Zan's laboratory was... Though he had no idea so it took him two tries at least to find the correct door on the first floor. It wasn't far, a short ride down the elevator, and then the squib dashing around checking what was in a room. He made sure to point out to Zan what he found, including the Pool (probably usefully located on the same floor as Zan's laboratory), and the unmovable door of the Bunker. He avoided opening Minerva's door on principle of course. He didn't want to be rude to resting humans!

But eventually, the Squib found the right door, and gestured for Zan, simply saying, "Zan leadwise wayin?"
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:11 am

Brit had been racking her brain hard since she started following Willow towards the library. She didn't like that feeling of forgetting something (and probably would have strong words for Demens if she ever found out she played with her head like he does everyone's). She just let it float around for now and stared off. Well, it was good that she was getting into something else now. Reading books in the library was a very comfy thing to do, and after that whole Fiend fiasco before the trip to Equestria, she could use a break. Especially after...

Usually, when one has a lot on their mind, things get clouded. Pushed aside. Feelings set away for another time for as long as there as things going on. Brit had been too focused on the events in Equestria when she was running around to deal with other such things, but now there was calmness in the sea of her mind. And when the sea is calm, things float to the surface and show their ugly head. Everything had caught up with her, and her whole body tensed up. Her mind went blank but her feelings took over. She didn't have time to count her blessing that her realization came when she was facing away from the group. She felt herself trembling slightly and knew what was coming next. It was too hard to hide now, but she couldn't bare the attention from anyone else right now even if she needed it.

She reached up and pulled her hat down over her eyes after remembering which was it was to the staircase, to keep people from seeing most of her face. Her eyes were starting to well up just standing here. She barely turned her head when she spoke, and her voice sounded deathly monotone as she talked. "Hey...I gotta...I gotta go." She didn't wait to hear any sort of response or acknowledgement before she started walking off with her eyes glued to the floor, hidden by the bill of her hat that went down along the bridge of her nose. She wanted to be anywhere but here right now.
Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:The Building, Fifth Floor
Amanda was so lost in her own thoughts that she started to reply automatically, continuing a polite game the two women had been playing for almost two years. "Just Amanda, please." She gave the ritualist a broad, playful smile. "Should we invite your guild to dinner again? Perhaps we could--"

She frowned, brow furrowing, as what Anais said sunk in. "You just got the page? Sandy seems to the only one in the hospital, but somebody's already treated him. If it wasn't you or Alexia, who?"

"He seems to be well enough, though. He's definitely not an emergency case. We had a short conversation before he got too tired."

"If you have enough for the six of us and can withstand Cherry's side commentary," Anais lightly joked with a smile. Her mesmer friend had picky taste and made sure everyone knew that thrice over.

The ritualist nodded as her initial worries and concern were lifted knowing Sandy had been treated. "It could have been Malaise, or the it could have been the prep work I had set up previously, or both. The nurse is quiet, but she works quickly and quietly. In any case, since he's treated, best I not disturb him and let him get the rest he needs. Excuse me a moment."

She quickly made her way to the front desk and picked up a report that was left in her box, specifically. It was standard procedure that any healers assigned that day be given a full report. While uneventful, Sandy's admittance would have surely been noted by Malaise or any of the shadowy men. Sure enough, there was, although the details were spare for her liking. Anais came back, finished with the report and looked back up to Amanda, "Would you care for some company to wherever you're headed next?"

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:46 pm

The Building, Fifth Floor
Mincaldenteans wrote:Anais came back, finished with the report and looked back up to Amanda, "Would you care for some company to wherever you're headed next?"

Amanda held her gaze on Anais as she went to look over her paperwork. Amanda had no idea what it was, but took Anais' lack of reaction as a good sign: had Sandy been worse injured than he seemed, the ritualist wouldn't have merely looked unhappily at the documents; she probably would have gone to check on him.

Amanda's smile returned with the healer. "I wouldn't mind company at all. I'm just going to the holodeck." She tipped her head in its direction. "Sandy brought a concealed camera with him to Alexandria. A special camera, one that makes holos that the deck can display. He says this --" she opened her hand to show Anais the memory device. Slim and squared off at one end, and tapering towards the other, it strongly resembled a shard of broken iridescent glass. "-- shows what he was up to this morning. Given his condition, I expect it will be engrossing."

She half turned, welcoming Anais to follow her, before looking over her shoulder to speak directly to the ritualist. "How much did you hear about where he's been?"

Fvaarniimar
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fvaarniimar » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Nick - who'd been on the verge of slinking off in embarrassment - lit up. <Really?!>

"Oh - do I ever. You'll never guess where I've been!" But he didn't keep them hanging long. "Have you ever heard of the Library of Alexandria? Sandy got approval to take a team there, and he wanted me on it! It's the most amazing place in the world - well, it was. I knew we couldn't save it, because of history - but I still couldn't believe it when it burned. The futility of it, so much up in flames!..." He hissed in frustration, bristling. "Want to give those damn Romans a piece of my mind -"

Sheepishly, he went on. "Oh, er. That's new, too, we found out over lunch - turkey soup and -" He took a whiff of (presumably-still) imaginary scent. "Do you two think they'll have food at the festival? That is, other than apples and sweets. I still don't understand how you can eat those things!"
Come to the light side.  We have teamwork, waffles, popcorn, grape juice, and way too much ramen.

Unless one is a genealogist, therapist, geneticist, or FBI agent - who is acting within the scope of their job - to claim that anyone is wrong about their own identity is not merely absurd but also extremely rude.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 pm

"I'm sure they'll have treats for everyone," Giovenith reassured, adjusting Nick so she could keep the cat comfortably tucked in one arm. "And you can tell us all about what you would have said to those mean Romans on the way there."

With her free arm, she took hold of Marcus' hand and lead them out the room and out the door. The smell of autumn lead the way, reminding her of trick-or-treating and magical stories. It would be a lovely day.

--

Sterling was ten times the welcoming committee that Willow was, serving as a fresh reminder of why they worked so well together to begin with. Thinking Rmw wouldn't need two doing the job of one, he gently slipped out his unicorn friend's way and looked on fondly as he babbled the new girl in.

Things didn't remain so pleasant though. He didn't initially notice the break down, but when Brit abruptly announced that she was leaving and hobbled away with a hunch, he knew what was happening. He exchanged a look with Sterling.

"I better go check it out," he said. "You guys stay here and keep setting up, I'll be back."

With that, Willow followed their human companion at a moderate speed through the air, allowing her to get ahead so that she wouldn't have to answer questions in front of a crowd. Partially, anyway; there was also an anxiety winding up inside of his stomach, the kind one got when they were about to be scolded. Why didn't Brit want to be there with them?

He landed once they were a decent distance away in the halls. "Brit?" he ventured, lifting a front hoof questioningly. What to ask, 'Are you alright?' Obviously not. 'What's wrong?' He had a bad suspicion he already knew. He felt his stomach's innards bubbling unpleasantly but continued on. "You're, not ready for research right now? Can we do anything for you, help you feel better? Or, should we just come check on you later, and we can fill you in on our set-up?" His ears perked but his expression remained wary.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Chrys watched Willow flutter away with Brit, and then turned back to the group, doing her best to mask a troubled expression. Her paper clone trailed along after them, desiring for once to see life outside the Library.

"Thank you so much, Sterling!" she said, returning to her role of tour guide, and putting on her own best face in turn. It was a bit difficult, but she managed. At least she'd managed to introduce herself to Willow, finally, before his abrupt exit.

"The second floor is home to some of our oldest Residents, some here even before my time. And some of our newer ones as well. The Pony who just exited - Willow, and the young woman ahead of him - Brit - they're both there. I believe our friend here is on the floor above that, as was the fish man he arrived with. So, if there's nought else, we can pass through and head directly there."

She led them out the door, winking at her doppleganger heading the opposite direction, and took them up the stairs. In the well between second and third floor, the whole group had to move aside to dodge a big man in a chef's hat and duck mask carrying an empty sterling silver tray in both hands.

"That's Cuisine," she confided. "He's a character, in his own normal way. We rarely see him nowadays - count yourself lucky! He normally works over at the nightclub, or in the communal dining room, and often in company with MB, his rabbit companion."
mumblemumblemumble

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse