NATION

PASSWORD

Personification Life, the Universe, & Everything [closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 am

#PLAPP
P E R S O N I F I C A T I O NL I F E,
T H EU N I V E R S E,&E V E R Y T H I N G

C H A R A C T E RA P P L I C A T I O N

P E R S O N A L
FIRST NAME: Maureen

SURNAME: Vasburg

SPECIES: Human

PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR APPEARANCE: See picture link below. She stands at 5'6" with a slim/athletic figure. She often wears form fitting attire and an ankle length duster.

URL TO PICTURE, IF ANY: Maureen, without the armor

CURRENT OCCUPATION: Freelance

DESIRED POSITION WITHIN OUR AGENCY: Scout/Reconnaissance/Intel

E D U C A T I O N&T R A I N I N G
AREA OF STUDY: Varied (emphasis on negotiation, close quarter combat, and force abilities by former Jedi master)
YEARS: 14 years

B A C K G R O U N D&P S Y C H O L O G Y

BIOGRAPHY: I'd say ask the Jedi Council if you wanted to know more, but since they're neither here or accessible, I suppose I could give you a brief overview of who I am. A bit misleading on that part, I barely know who I am or what my purpose is. The Jedi gave me that, although by the time I resigned, I felt about as directionless as I do now. The difference between then and now? I've learn to keep my story close to my chest. People don't need to know unless absolutely necessary and as the years pass by I'm finding less and less reasons to be open about it. Given we're on the same boat here - excuse me, Building - I suppose it won't hurt to divulge a little about me. My name is Maureen Vasburg, I was a part of the Jedi Order since I was a child - five or six - I can't recall. It was all I knew, all I had to call home. Don't mistake that as family, the Jedi are anything but. I was under the tutelage of a master who favored aggressive tactics and approaches which ran counter to my quiet nature. He often mocked my quiet being in backhanded manner and often found lessons that pushed my skills and abilities with less than satisfactory results. It didn't enamor me to him and I don't think he cared, rather took me on as his burden rather than a charge he could nurture. By the time I was 15/16, my training included missions outside of Coruscant under my master's oversight and I can say it was less than savory in each an every one of those missions.

Why? Easy answer: War. Of course, nothing about war is easy and as we traveled across the stars from system to system under the flag of the Jedi Council and the Republic, I was exposed to the darker sides - and I don't mean the Sith, our bitter enemy. There was a struggle that raged across the cosmos and we were the guardians that fought the Sith and their alarming expansion across the galaxy. Chaos ruled the spaceways and travel within safe territories varied everyday. Rather than shielding my eyes from the many aspects of war, my master preferred I stand at his side and I believe it was this insistence of my being around him that led me further away from the tenants the Jedi claimed to hold paramount.

Here was a Council that exchanged safety for unquestionable compliance. Where negotiation was settled by the end of a lightsaber instead of across the table. Where providing security meant contributing every available resource to the war effort. As far as I knew, this was not the Jedi way, and the methods imposed upon by my master and other Jedi across the war torn areas and fringe systems only painted a different image of them. Feared were we when we stepped foot upon a planet, cowed into servitude at demands, and broken promises when a planet failed to meet the Republic's demands. Or was it the Jedi's needs? I couldn't figure it out then, I certain haven't tried now. The last straw for me was my last year as a Padawan; a "diplomatic" mission layered in half promises and embellishments enough to make one vomit. I had vehemently disagreed with my master, but on the threat that my tenure would not last if I did not fall in line, I complied. When the last details of the negotiation were being settled, I could no longer support my master as he promised an unrealistic number of Jedi to be stationed in case of a Sith attack. I exposed the lies for what they were and ruined the talks of logistical support to the war effort. If anything was left to salvage, I wouldn't know, i was immediately sent back to Coruscant.

My master did not hesitate to discharge me from his care and upon my return to Coruscant, a small tribunal of other masters were convened to determine my continued stay within the Order. I didn't let them give me the option or deliberate, I stepped down and packed my belongings. My master didn't care and life had an unsettling cognizance I couldn't quite put to words when I looked out from the transport that took me away from the Order. I still can't quite describe the feeling. It wasn't freedom, at least with that, you can pick a path; I didn't know where to go, but forward - whatever that meant. I disappeared into the spaceways, offering my services as a scout (my master, while critical of my physical and force strength, was tolerant of other applications such as my speed and ability to cloak myself). I was more-or-less a gun for hire, although I made it a point to hide my force abilities wherever I went and however I could without drawing questions or suspicion. I gained steady employment with a paramilitary organization called the CDC, fulfilling various low-risk assignments as needed. While my withdrawn attitude wasn't always conducive or in-service to the company, I got my jobs done.

The last assignment was on the planet, Krosis. A cargo/smuggling operation that I had been reassigned to despite my qualifications for low-level or low risk reconnaissance missions. The planet was taken by the Sith Empire, that bit of detail hadn't stopped the CDC from sending a group of us through enemy lines. We were well equipped for a smuggling vessel and I took the job on the basis of a higher payout not normally given. Boy was I fool. Anyway, I did my job, kept my presence within the Force minimal and kept my distance from the rest of the group. Luck, as it were, wasn't on my side on the fourth day on Krosis. We had made our landing and distributed the much needed supplies to the people; we were, however, facing an increased security sweep that would have exposed our vessel if we attempted to depart. Unregistered and unaccounted for, we were grounded and my job was to scout the city we were in to find any useful information on smuggling operations.

I knew I shouldn't have taken this job. I knew from the get-go this was a doomed mission and I should have resigned my commission the moment I was made aware of the details. I hadn't, obviously, and if you were to ask me why, I don't have an answer for you other than the money was good. It was evening and I needed to report back; I was moving through the throngs of people and headed quickly to a spaceport for a local transport to the next city. I felt I was being followed, and that feeling had sent chills down my spine as the unmistakable presence of a Sith, someone especially trained to sense others that were Force sensitive. I didn't turn or panic, I simply weaved my way through the crowd in a hurried pace. I entered a spaceport that was empty; and in that I found odd. The Sith had followed me and I had no choice but to engage him. The very last thing I recall was a burning red lance sweeping across my body.

And now I'm here. I can't fault whomever saved me from certain death, but in this strange place, I find life to be ...unsettling. What's even more disconcerting is a familiar presence of a Jedi. I was told one lives among us Residents, but I don't know who they are or what they look like. I've taken steps to hide my presence; the less they sense me the better.

I'll trust you keep that bit of information between us.

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST STRENGTH AS AN INDIVIDUAL: Quick thinker, practical, observant and overly cautious

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST FLAW: Inaction in favor of caution; past tenets of the Jedi often aggravate her, making her confrontational. She doesn't know how to make a friend, having never had one. She doesn't know what family is with only the camaraderie she had within the Order as a reference point. Does not open up to others well, figuring its none of their business to begin with, making her a bit anti-social.

O B J E C T I V E S

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: Come to peace with her connection to the Force and the various influences that have shaped her life and perception of it.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Experience life outside the Jedi Order's tenets and the subsequent exposure during her tenure as a 'gun-for-hire'.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Forge personal relationships that extend beyond the strictest of formalities as taught by the Order.

M U N D A N ES K I L L S

SKILL: Piloting (hovercraft, skimmers, and small vessels)
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Jedi Order training

SKILL: Basic tech familiarity

SKILL: Negotiation

SKILL: Left-handed, ambidextrous (favoring left)
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Natural

S P E C I A L I Z E DK N O W L E D G E,S K I L LO RT A L E N T / A B I L I T Y

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Lightsaber combat
POINTS SPENT: 2
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: Jedi training
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: Maureen is particularly skilled in the combat forms of "Makashi" and elements of "Ataru" integrated. The former is a duelist approach with an emphasis on elegant footwork, economy of movement, feints, and counters. The latter being a focus on speed and agility. The combination fits particularly well for Maureen due to her lack of physical strength. She draws upon her speed and natural left handed skill to catch her opponents off-guard.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: Having spent years hiding her Jedi background, Maureen's swordsmanship skills are rusty, to say the least. She was never a good duelist, due to lack of strength and endurance, and her footwork would be considered undeveloped and unrefined by others familiar with her style. Makashi's emphasis on economy of movements mean that she cannot strike an opponent with a sufficient force, while her added elements of Ataru can only be applied with sufficient speed or distance to create the inertia needed for a strong strike, limiting her options in close combat. Simply put, while trained, Maureen cannot outlast a more seasoned opponent and is considered an amateur, at best.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Close-quarter-combat
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: Jedi training
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: Basic self defense when lacking a lightsaber. Primary focus on redirecting an opponents momentum and strength.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: Maureen is not much of a fighter; those noticing her combat approach can quickly adapt to counter.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Force Training
POINTS SPENT: 3
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: Natural ability, please see below for specific talents
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: Mainly used for scouting purposes, or if necessary, combat purposes.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: Not particularly strong against other Force users, her skill and connection is considered 'average', and due to lack

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Ranged combat (pistols and rifles)
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: Jedi training, CDC required certification
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: Particular well with basic pistols, rifles, and some snipers.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: Limited sniper training. No training in handling heavy ordinances.

O P T I O N A LS U P E R N A T U R A LC H A R A C T E R I S T I C S&A B I L I T I E S

CHARACTERISTIC/ABILITY: N/A
POWER LEVEL:
WHAT DOES IT DO:
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED:
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT:
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY:
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY:

M A G I CO RF O R C EU S E R S

SPELL/FORCE ABILITY: Force speed
POWER LEVEL: 3
WHAT DOES IT DO: Enhanced speed, agility and reflexes
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: For movement, Maureen uses it in 'burst' to move quickly; In close quarter, Maureen taps into her force speed as an opening charge and to give her an edge in reflexes and agility. Particularly deadly in extremely tight quarters.
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED:
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Stronger magic practitioners or force sensitives can adapt to her increased speed and agility, limiting her options in combat. Biometric sensors can still detect her movement and track her accordingly.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Physically taxing, Maureen can only use the speed in "bursts" for movement. In combat, its either used as a way to gain momentum as opening charge or to increase her response time during a duel for a short period; cannot do both.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: Mainly used for scouting, Maureen prefers not to use Force speed in combat being reliant on a pistol or rifle rather than her lightsaber

SPELL/FORCE ABILITY: Force cloak
WHAT DOES IT DO: Renders her invisible to the naked eye by bending light and sound. When not camouflaged, it can avoid 'mundanes' and low-level Force sensitives to notice her, effectively taking her presence out of their purview.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: Gifted for this more subtle application of the Force, Maureen can maintain this most of the time so long as she concentrates; often used in conjunction to Force speed to move about quickly in areas difficult areas without being detected.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: More powerful Force users and esoteric practitioners can unveil her cloak, able to sense her presence immediately; it is also useless against droids, cybernetic lifeforms and other machinery equipped with biometric sensors.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: A mental effort to maintain her cloak and can be broken.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: Cloak cannot extend to others.

SPELL/FORCE ABILITY: Force blinding
POWER LEVEL: 1
WHAT DOES IT DO: Temporarily blinds the enemy, providing slight tactical or strategic advantage. Can be used to temporarily illuminate dark areas.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: At will.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: More powerful force users can usually overlook the trick, seeing it nothing more than a nuisance. Useless against droids or other cybernetic beings that can adapt accordingly.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Mentally, although cost is minimal
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: Useless against droids, cybernetic beings and other machinery that can adapt accordingly.

SPELL/FORCE ABILITY: Telekinesis
POWER LEVEL: 1
WHAT DOES IT DO: Ability to mentally manipulate objects
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: No often, Maureen is not particularly adept at moving objects at will
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Almost anything that can negate her manipulation with greater physical application.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Both, Maureen can barely move a water bottle with it.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: Lack of confidence in applying this skill; her master often criticized her lack of control and did little to improve her ability.

M A G I C A LI T E M S

ITEM: N/A
SPELL/ABILITY:
POWER LEVEL:
WHAT DOES IT DO:
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED:
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT:
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY:
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY:

S C I F I / B I O T E C HI T E M S

ITEM: Lightsaber
WEAPON OR NON-WEAPON: Weapon
WHAT DOES IT DO: Offensive/defensive purposes, deflect energy blasts from pistols and rifles, able to cut through most objects.
HOW DOES IT DO IT: Like a sword, activate the blade away from the body and assume a combat stance - try not to swing like a lunatic.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: As needed
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED TO OPERATE: Plasma blade powered by a Kyber crystal emitted from a cylindrical metallic hilt/housing. Most hilts are custom created.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Other lightsabers or other energy weapons, some rare metals.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: Proper training is required; can be a danger in the hands of an inexperienced wielder, not just to others but onto themselves. Minimal maintenance required.

ITEM: Blaster pistol
POWER LEVEL: 2
WHAT DOES IT DO: For self defense purposes when lightsaber is not required, damaged, or lost.
HOW DOES IT DO IT: Point, aim, shoot.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: As needed.
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED TO OPERATE: Self-recharging cartridge
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Lack of cartridge, energy dampening fields
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: Minimal training required; can be exceptionally deadly in the hands of a marksman. Regular maintenance recommended.

ITEM: Energy pistol
POWER LEVEL: 2
WHAT DOES IT DO: For self defense purposes when lightsaber is not required, damaged, or lost.
HOW DOES IT DO IT: Point, aim, shoot.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: As needed.
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED TO OPERATE: Self-recharging cartridge
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Lack of cartridge, energy dampening fields
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: Minimal training required; can be exceptionally deadly in the hands of a marksman. Regular maintenance recommended.

P E R S O N A LI T E M S

1. Personal translator device storing up to 8 languages
  2. Clothes on her which were tight fitting top and pants of black and white pattern; knee-high boots; belt with holster for both pistol and lightsaber; thin grey-black ankle length jacket.

E Q U I P M E N T

1. Lightsaber
  2. Blaster pistol
  3. Energy pistol called "Morrigan" (given from the "Last Chance" story line)

O T H E RG A M EM E C H A N I C S
Star Wars franchise.

URL TO APARTMENT INTERIOR: Apartment

ONE PARAGRAPH THAT SUMS UP YOUR CHARACTER. THIS WILL APPEAR ON THE OOC FIRST PAGE:
A former padawan whose frustrations with the Jedi Order forced her resignation and led a life in the underbelly of society. She traveled the spaceways with no real direction and signed up to a private security firm to eek a living. Assigned to a doomed mission, Maureen found herself in combat against a Sith warrior; she was saved from certain death and given a new lease in life among other, perhaps stranger, people.

P L A Y E RI N F O R M A T I O N

YOUR NICKNAME ON NS: Min
YOUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Level shmah!
HOW OFTEN CAN YOU POST: Once or twice a week.
LINK TO RP EXAMPLES (YOUR IC POST, NOT THE RP ITSELF). IF YOU DON'T HAVE A LINK, WE'LL ASSESS YOU BASED ON YOUR CHARACTER'S BIOGRAPHY.
  • :eyebrow:

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:20 am

Nicely done, Min!
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 am

⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:44 am

:lol: It's all squirrel's fault

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:

:lol: It's all squirrel's fault

Maureen's been around for like half a year now XD
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 pm

And Sigtrygg, couldn't quite figure out just what equipment he'd need aside from what he already has though. We should also address how he's talking with everyone else, :lol:

#PLAPP

P E R S O N A L
CHARACTER'S FIRST NAME: Sigtrygg

CHARACTER'S SURNAME: Karlsson, of House Snjalli

DESCRIBE CHARACTER APPEARANCE: A 6’11” tall Norseman from the height of the Viking age, with fairly straight golden blond hair and hazel colored eyes. He’s very well built and large, dwarfing most people during his time by a good margin. He has a few scars from close calls with attackers, mostly on his torso and arms, as well. He’s normally clad in the sort of lower class rough clothing his time had, rather than the higher class and expensive garments, in browns and whites due to a lack of dye.

He does also possess a full suit of early Varangian guard armor, with segmented metal (lamellar) chestplate and chainmail hauberk rather than the later full plate. Along with this are metal vambraces and arm protection, chain for protecting the neck, and simple leather boots. His helmet has an added noseguard, and optional facemask that he’s able to add for extra protection. This is made of Byzantine steel and iron, and is about as durable as one can expect from this. He rarely wears this anymore, as he's found in the situations he finds himself it rarely is useful.

Being a kind and overall gentle person, he’s usually smiling and jovial, despite his size and physique.

URL TO PICTURE, IF ANY: [url=Modernish Varangian]https://i.imgur.com/pkl47pD.png[/url]

CURRENT OCCUPATION: Prince, Varangian Guardsman

DESIRED POSITION WITHIN THE AGENCY: Warrior/Guard/Protector

AREA OF STUDY: Traditional Norse culture and religion, Warrior skills, sailing
YEARS: 16 (5-22)

Please refer to application instructions regarding this section.

BIOGRAPHY (written in first person): I, like my elder brothers, was born on the island of Aland, in the castle our father had built to solidify his rule over the Finns. The old Capital of Uppsala was still the center of the Council, but father preferred to rule from Aland himself. There was simply something he liked about the island, and it made a good home for us as children. Away from the mainland father could teach us how he wanted, and without the Jarl's and Priests breathing down his neck for constant attention.

While the war against the old king of Norræríke was before my time, it still colors my life as it is. The kings renouncement of our ancestral ways sickened my father Karl. He, along with allies he found who refused to give into the king’s attempts at converting the whole of the land, would rise up and declare their lands for the gods and our ancestors. It was a rather bloody civil war, but ended quickly with my father’s fleet landing near Uppsala and the death of the old king and his family. The Jarls crowned my father that very night, and he promised to make the old ways able to stand against this assault by the disciples of Christ.

What resulted from this was a holy book, a hierarchy of the priesthood and giving the King a new title: the Fylkir. This made the king the head of the faith, and protector of all worshippers of the old ways, or Asatru as it's being called. Of course, not every jarl was content with these changes, especially outside of the Realm. But this has yet to come to any sort of blows outside of the King’s Hall.

I grew up with this new way of following the gods, with scribes writing tome after tome of this thing called a book. Our runes had never been transcribed in such a medium before, and it inspired others in our rule to begin putting down all of our legends and stories and sagas in similar ways.

I was betrothed to a princess of the Danish holdings in Angleland, from a township called York. This was soon into my life, around my tenth winter. We needed ties to the older families of our lands, even those who had settled in far away islands. I did understand, and Aren did turn out to be the love of my life. We were properly married when she came of age, and I did end up siring one child before I lost her for good.

Like our ancestors, I took up being a víkingr upon marriage. Raiding, slaying those who wished to destroy this reborn kingdom of ours, and marveling at the riches of the southern lands. It was a wonderful life, for a time. Living as our people had for generations. My stature and strength made me a good víkingr. Loot for our homeland meant we could trade it abroad too, with our ties to the new settlers of Rus’ our goods started even making it to Miklagard and further. It was a good time.

Though this of course ended with the Pox making its way to our lands from one of our raids into Francia. I remained untouched, but much of my family perished. Including my beloved wife and child. Following this, I made a, in hindsight, irrational decision to leave the nation. I was never slated to inherit anyway, nor did I wish to marry again. I left with one of the boats of warriors wishing to join the Roman Guard in Miklagard.

So I followed them, my eventual brothers-in-arms, to Miklagard and into the service of an Emperor. This time passed quickly, a distraction from the heartache inside of myself. I trained, learned this strange tongue to navigate the city better, and protected the Emperor of Miklagard.

At least for a while. During a battle against the hordes of the Moslem Turks, a... opened in the battlefield in front of me, depositing myself in a strange place, far away from where I once was. With strange, giant lizard creatures who called themselves ‘Raptors’. This new place became a home for a while, and helped me actually have time to think. My brethren must have thought me dead on the field, to disappear as such.

But good things don’t last forever, and after meeting the god Loki, I was brought back to Miklagard. I went back into my work, making up a story about being lost following the battle and struggling to make it back through Turk territory. A reasonable enough story. Though I found going home to be... boring. The place I had found was magical, fantastical, and even stranger than the strangest legends.

I knew it unlikely I would ever return though. Such a fantastical world I wished to see once more, and learn even more about. The strange teleporting room, the lights without fire... everything is new and strange. Though if it happened once, it very well could happen again, aye?

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST STRENGTH AS AN INDIVIDUAL: Literal strength, and combat ability. He’s an epitome of why vikings were considered some of the most vicious fighters of the era.

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST FLAW: He’s not the smartest person ever, and slow to learn modern technology and beyond due to just how distant it is from his time. It might be easier to just tell him “It works because of magic”

O B J E C T I V E S

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: Aid the Chosen in the name of his gods, he’s always been a protector and guardsman so sees no reason why he can’t make it his aim to protect these new people from the various dangers of the multiverse. He's always lived to protect since he had his family.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Get "caught up" with modern technology enough to understand just what is going on half the time. He's intensely curious about the multiverse too.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Move on from his losses, but honor his family.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Improve his skill at arms, weapons, and warfare. His strengths lead him towards being a fighter so why not cultivate it.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Eat, Drink, and be Merry! Make some friends!

M U N D A N ES K I L L S

SKILL: Languages: Medieval Vulgar Latin and Old Norse
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Exposure

SKILL: Basic Viking combat and martial arts
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Tutelage

SKILL: Nordic Runes

SKILL: Basic Melee weapon training

SKILL: Basic Nordic culture and Asatru religion
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Tutelage, exposure

SKILL: Nordic History and Legends
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Tutelage, exposure

SKILL: Battlefield firstaid - Medieval practices
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Practice, tutelage

SKILL: Basic survivalism
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Practice, tutelage

SKILL: Impromptu Weapons (chairs, glass, etc)
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Impromptu self-defense

Please refer to application instructions regarding this section. You have 10 total points to spend, no knowledge, skill or ability greater than 4.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Weapon Specialization - Norse Swordsmanship
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: Tutelage, Practice
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: Sigtrygg is an expert using bladed weapons such as swords in combat. This includes the techniques specific to the Norse, which is usually brutal and extemporaneous combat without much set styling. Any sort of attack goes as long as it's effective. Also goes with the dexterity and battle experience needed to proficiently use a sword in heated battle, and not just in practice
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: No sword, no utility.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Weapon Specialization - Shields
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: Protection is just as important as attack, and can save your life. Sigtrygg knows how to defend himself using shields, along with some practical applications of such devices to the bodies of foes to render them off-balance or out of commission. His strength plays into this, as its one thing to use a shield offensively and another to have the strength and endurance to withstand repeated shocks to the arm.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: No shield, no utility,

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Weapon Specialization - Longaxes
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: Sig can swing a mean twohanded axe, and his stature means he can heft one single handedly for the most part. This includes the strength needed to really use such a large weapon with any proficiency, and the knowledge of how to both defend and attack with such a weapon.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: No longaxe, no utility. Shortaxes he generally gets the gist of, but isn't very proficient in their use compared to short bladed weapons such as a sword.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Sailing - Medieval Sailing ships
POINTS SPENT: 1
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: Tutelage
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: He knows how to sail small boats with sails, ranging from personal to a small single mast ship for a dozen or so people. Most familiar with the working of medieval ships with square rigging such as Norse Longboats.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: Currently a very rusty skill, and well, if he lacks a boat he doesn't get to sail. He's not really practices for years as he rarely has had to man a ship while a Varangian.

O P T I O N A LS U P E R N A T U R A LC H A R A C T E R I S T I C S&A B I L I T I E S
As of now, Sigtrygg is a totally mundane human

As of now, Sigtrygg knows no magical abilities

M A G I C A LI T E M S
As of now, Sigtrygg has no magical items, weapon or otherwise

"What is this strange light-without-fire?"

P E R S O N A LI T E M S
  1. Varangian Armor
  2. Two-handed Long Axe
  3. Varangian Sword
  4. Varangian Shield, with the Imperial styling on it.
  5. Astaru Edda - Norse holy text
  6. Undergarments - Medieval cotton
  7. Modern clothing, including jeans and white t-shirt

E Q U I P M E N T
  1. Weapons of similar stature to his own medieval ones (Possibly more advanced/durable)
  2. Training room for melee combat (weight equipment may be added, if he ever finds out about those)
  3. Boats and boat accessories, dockyard
  4. Allies to train with! The best training is against other flesh and blood beings!

URL TO APARTMENT INTERIOR: http://i.imgur.com/diZj9FK.png
An apartment roughly following 10th century Greek/Byzantine stylings, though with Nordic touches such as an altar to the Norse pantheon with a miniature runestone and a copy of the Norse holy book, the Ásatrú Edda. Though, it does seem to have some modern(actual modern) conveniences, such as a proper bed and lights. Though he does strangely have an old style firepit and cookware, rather than anything new or modern.

ONE PARAGRAPH THAT SUMS UP YOUR CHARACTER. THIS WILL APPEAR ON THE OOC FIRST PAGE: Sig is a classic Viking, and Varangian guard from the Norse Kingdom. Years ago he had a brief stint in the building thanks to the Raptors, but this time he’s back to properly aid in the fight.

YOUR NICKNAME ON NS: Lykos
YOUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL (beginner, intermediate, advanced): Intermediate
HOW OFTEN CAN YOU POST: Often
LINK TO RP EXAMPLES (YOUR IC POST, NOT THE RP ITSELF). IF YOU DON'T HAVE A LINK, WE'LL ASSESS YOU BASED ON YOUR CHARACTER'S BIOGRAPHY.

Last edited by Holy Lykos on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:We should also address how he's talking with everyone else,

Babelfish, or whatever we're calling them now. Babblefish?
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Since IC won't be up for a while, was thinking it might be fun to run a short game in the OSF Wayback Machine - Friday the 13th is coming up! Bad luck antics?
she/her

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:15 pm

#PLAPP

P E R S O N A L
FIRST NAME: Romulus

SURNAME: Aphrodisiac

SPECIES: Enhanced Human

PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR APPEARANCE: He's an 8'3" tall man who is very tan, with a fine shaved dome, and sporting a trimmed dark-haired beard on his face. His body is very muscular and fit for a General on the field. He perpetually has a set of darkly colored gauntlets that are fused to his hands. His current set of powered armor has seen far better days on account of acid having stripped the nice paint off it. He can easily look quite lonesome and powerful, but in contrast appear commanding and inspiring.

URL TO PICTURE, IF ANY: Nada

CURRENT OCCUPATION: Former General of the Wilhelm Imperium

DESIRED POSITION WITHIN OUR AGENCY: Field Marshal

AREA OF STUDY: Leadership, strategic command, logistics, warfare.
YEARS: 8 years until reaching the age of 16 years old after enlistment into the Officer Cadets.

BIOGRAPHY (written in first person): It's been a long while, I still find it hard to believe I'm still in my thirties after everything I’ve been through, of course it's not like age is gonna matter much for me, I'll be a relic here in my nine-hundreds in no time. Now where should I really begin then, huh? I'm a soldier, and I've been so since I was sixteen and was marching out of the trenches with a couple dozen other enlisted boys and jaded old men looking for glory and a purpose in the Imperium.

The machine gun nests that fired upon us as we advanced killed that dream in an instant as the boys that were around me got cut to pieces by shells intended to take out armored fighting vehicles. And meanwhile the ancient gramps hit the deck with faces that had witnessed that same scene far too many times to count, I have joined them in a soggy crater until the machine guns ran dry and we had called for an artillery strike. We would get over that ridge once the dust had cleared to find tiny and torn up bodies manning those destroyed guns, we were just children fighting other children under the command of our gods and Imperium. A week after that push we had overran them and marched on their capital waving flags and banners in front of their widows and moms, saying we were proud we wiped out three whole generations of their men and boys as we hauled what was left into trucks to never see their home again. We ourselves didn’t stick around to witness the Imperial settlers come in with their wagon and RV trains to replace the natives, we had been shipped to the next campaign by then to fight more battles in our never ending war of ours.

We knew what we saw in Saint. La'Beik, what we did there, I couldn’t ever forget those tiny faces of the boys we shot with our trench guns or stabbed with our bayonets. Oh course here I am, a man that went through life after that with a blinding face of patriotism that’ll march to the unseeable ends of an endless world while shouting at my men to keep up. That got me far, High Command was aggressive with promoting any young guy that looked like he had his shit together and could force his men into charging straight into hell itself against the literal beasts we fought tooth and nail with. I had rose to Captain, then to Major, to Colonel, and to Lieutenant, and when my predecessor died at the ripe old age of a thousand and thirteen, I was then handpicked by Wilhelm himself to be the replacing General. A rather dark-horse choice I would say looking back, though I suppose I was picked to set a precedent for younger men to take the torch, at least that’s how I like to think it was about. Of course my father didn’t care much about what he heard about me, the man was a bastard who have happily shipped me to that academy to never see my home again after all, either to get rid of me or to pay some dues, I’ll never figure that out and frankly I can’t imagine any kind of answer.

Of course I’ve been right here in the Building because I was foolish and gotten myself thrown into a tear in reality during the last campaign I ever commanded, I would’ve been left for dead somewhere outside of my dimension if it weren’t for Demens picking me up, at least I think that’s what happened, details on that have been fuzzy since, probably for a good reason too. I’ve changed a lot since coming here though, that I’ll say for certain. The people here have grown on me, like I’m beginning to remember the young man I was before I was pressed into those bloody trenches since arriving here.

There’s more work to be done, a lot more work in fact, I guess our resolve will hold but someone needs to hold a damn torch around I tell you. I’m not saying it’ll be me, though I would like to see a more combined effort around here by everyone involved, I guess I should get to it then?

I’m General Romulus Aphrodisiac, I got some shit to sort though so I’ll take my leave to do that for the time being.

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST STRENGTH AS AN INDIVIDUAL: He's a larger than life man with a commanding and inspiring presence that has weathered through with prized experience in fighting and leading in massive wars for his infinitely sized empire. And with his presence in the Building, he had shown himself some humility after being away from an exalted life.

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST FLAW: Despite his strengths, he's still only human with common human weaknesses and flaws like arrogance and occasional ignorance. He’s not within his prime element as a leading General of the Wilhelm Imperium after having abruptly left it, and still has much to learn as an individual.

O B J E C T I V E S

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: Acquire some peace of mind in his struggles with coming to terms with having been living in the Wilhelm Imperium, and trying to find a greater purpose in life again as his known world around him has changed once again.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Acquire a far better and upgraded suit of powered armor than his old one that got pretty damaged.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: Practice his leadership abilities and provide more outreach to the other Residents by providing his help when needed.

M U N D A N ES K I L L S

SKILL: Marksmanship
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: 4 years spent practicing on training dummies and painted targets, a long grueling 18 years more spent shooting at live targets.

SKILL: Quartermaster
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: His Cadet years were spent maintaining a full platoon of an hundred levies by keeping them well fed enough and not actively mutinying. His rousing speeches tended to also keep them decently entertained.

SKILL: Basic Mechanical Repair
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: A natural given when on the battlefield and forced to preform field repairs on equipment and war material.

SKILL: Tea Brewing
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Taught by his nanny when he was young, and had his skills honed while on the field trying to make the best of his afforded rations.

Please refer to application instructions regarding this section. You have 10 total points to spend, no knowledge, skill or ability greater than 4.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Swordsmanship
POINTS SPENT: 4
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: 18 years of constant fighting tends to lend anyone into knowing how to do the shish kabob on adversaries.
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: He's a master swordsman.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: He's not that well skilled as far as shooting is concerned, he's far more specialized and familiar with his blade than anything else.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Powered Armor
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: Specialized training given to him since becoming a General.
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: The skill allows him to use the armor more effectively and how to maintain it.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: He's far more familiar with handling the Wilhelm Imperium's own brand of powered armor than anything else produced elsewhere.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Command
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: Too many years spent screaming and barking at men of various stripes in the thick of war.
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: He's a good at leading whole units or individuals from tasks such as marching or going straight into combat to fight.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: His authority can naturally only get him so far as other people are willing to cooperate with him.

Please refer to application instructions regarding this section. You have 8 total points to spend total, no single characteristic greater than 4.

CHARACTERISTIC/ABILITY: Imperium's Perseverance
POWER LEVEL: 4
WHAT DOES IT DO: It's a series of implants that provides damage resistance and damage output increase when Romulus is in very bad shape or very neared death.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: It’s triggered naturally whenever he’s in significant enough pain.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Great enough pain and trauma can and will put him into shock first before his implants can start to take effect.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Pain is still felt.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: Has a threshold of pain and trauma before it’ll trigger.

CHARACTERISTIC/ABILITY: General's Grace (Regeneration)
WHAT DOES IT DO: Can allow him to regenerate from wounds, even grievous ones, and be healed faster. He can live far longer than the average human by over a millennium. And also allows him to hit more without physically damaging himself as much.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: Whenever he’s hurt it’ll trigger, but it’s constantly active as far as slowing down his aging is concerned and cleansing his body regularly of any toxins or ailments.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Significant enough damage done quickly enough will still kill him straight up.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Pain is still felt as the body heals and regenerates.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: Can take time to regenerate, and lost memories from brain damage never really heal unless restored through other means.

M A G I C A LI T E M S
Please refer to application instructions regarding this section. You have 8 total points to spend total, no single item greater than 4.

ITEM: Magnum Langschwert Madeleine
SPELL/ABILITY: It’s practically a sun sword that’ll burn, boil, melt through most things.
WHAT DOES IT DO: It’s a sword.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: All the time granted it’s a sword with a permanent enchantment on it made of sufficient properties.
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED: Special gauntlets in order to hold onto it.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: The hardest of materials or anything that can replicate itself fast enough.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: He has to wear special gauntlets fused to his hands in order to use it without melting through them.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: It’s still just a sword with a blade that needs to physically hit something.

Please refer to application instructions regarding this section. You have 8 total points to spend total, no single item greater than 4.

ITEM: (Damaged) Wilhelm Imperium Powered Armor
WEAPON OR NON-WEAPON: Non-Weapon
WHAT DOES IT DO: Protects user from hazardous conditions and provides addition strength to their body parts.
HOW DOES IT DO IT: It’s powered by an advanced hydrogen engine.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: If there’s hydrogen
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED TO OPERATE: A wide multitude of various mechanical parts and servos being fueled by an engine capable of powering a small town or community.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: It’s still just armor that can be pierced and destroyed.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: His current suit is damaged and not acting so great, he’ll need a replacement or a total repair in order to make any great extensive use of his suit.

P E R S O N A LI T E M S
  1. A body-glove worn underneath his suit.

E Q U I P M E N T
  1. 40mm Shotgun
  2. 37mm Autocannon

URL TO APARTMENT INTERIOR: Just add a couple portraits of Wilhelms, some more Imperium decor, remove and add some furniture, and you got it pretty much.

ONE PARAGRAPH THAT SUMS UP YOUR CHARACTER. THIS WILL APPEAR ON THE OOC FIRST PAGE: Former General of the Wilhelm Imperium who was sent through time and space to end up on Galli. And has made plenty of allies along the way since his arrival to the Building. He’ll be sure to prepare for anything wherever his future shall lead him.

YOUR NICKNAME ON NS: Ched
YOUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL (beginner, intermediate, advanced): Advanced
HOW OFTEN CAN YOU POST: Often if I’m not too busy with classes or something that creeps in from life.
  • :P

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Nuridia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuridia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Can you play gods? Because I got an idea for some gods. Also a vampire and a witch.
Uru, Queen of Diamonds.
The Diamond card suit represents fire, strength and power. Sister of the Queen of Hearts, Queen of Spades and the Queen of Clubs.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Nuridia wrote:Can you play gods? Because I got an idea for some gods. Also a vampire and a witch.

No unfortunately. We don't accept gods anymore.
she/her

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:10 pm

Giovenith wrote:Since IC won't be up for a while, was thinking it might be fun to run a short game in the OSF Wayback Machine - Friday the 13th is coming up! Bad luck antics?

I'm down! o/
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:
Giovenith wrote:Since IC won't be up for a while, was thinking it might be fun to run a short game in the OSF Wayback Machine - Friday the 13th is coming up! Bad luck antics?

I'm down! o/

I'm all for it.

Swith's home but it will take her several days to get into her groove. We can use that time for something fun. I can kick off the new IC with it, if you'd like, Gio.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:47 pm

If you'd like!
she/her

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:50 pm

We could use something fun and light.

I'm also very glad to hear that Swith is back home.
Last edited by Chedastan on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:04 pm

#PLAPP

P E R S O N A L
CHARACTER'S FIRST NAME: Meritari

CHARACTER'S SURNAME: Ir-en Useramun

DESCRIBE CHARACTER APPEARANCE: Meritari stands at an unimpressive 5'3'', with dark skin, a slim build, brown/black hair that reaches past her shoulders, and dark brown eyes. Favors light clothes and dresses. Her right hand is completely skeletal up to the wrist.

URL TO PICTURE, IF ANY: Here you go

CURRENT OCCUPATION: Student/scholar, servant.

DESIRED POSITION WITHIN THE AGENCY: Healer, craftswoman, or a similar supporting role.

AREA OF STUDY: Sewing, cooking, cosmetics, religion
YEARS: ~12

AREA OF STUDY: Magic studies, manipulation of ren, manipulation of ka
YEARS: 2

BIOGRAPHY (written in first person):

Oh, you would like to hear my story? Of course I'll tell you, I don't mind at all. Let's see... My father Useramun was a nehesu and a merchant who decided to settle down in my birthplace, Tjenu, hailing originally from the southern lands of Kemet; my mother Bakethotep, a reth musician in the temple of Re, was his reason for doing so. I was born on the twelfth day of the fourth month, towards the end of Akhet, as the only child of my family, and thanks to my father's wealth and my mother's status, I lived a comfortable childhood, with servants taking care of my every need. My father usually spent his days outside, though he would sometimes play games with me upon coming back; I remember Senet was his favorite. My mother, when not performing in the temple for the glory of Re, would teach me everything I needed to know in order to be a proper wife and mistress of the house in the future, and as I grew up, she also taught me of her trade, showing me how to play music to please men and gods alike and even taking me along with her to the city's festivals to perform with her once I had learned enough. She was quite virtuous at what she did, knowing how to play several instruments with equal skill, but I had no such talent, only an affinity for the flute, which became my preferred instrument.

During the middle of my fourteenth Peret, my mother and father arranged for me to be married to a young scribe in the service of the priests of the Sleeping King of Tjenu. Amunakh was his name, and though I did not know him well, he was handsome, and our relationship was amicable from the start. Perhaps we had not been made for each other, as I never felt this thing called love begin to burn within my breast, but there was never any conflict between us, and as we continued our lives together, I grew to be quite fond of him. He treated me kindly and, in turn, I sought to please him, but as I chose to follow in the footsteps of my mother, and he had a very important job to tend to, we did not see each other during most of the day. Perhaps the thing that I regret the most from my marriage with Amunakh, though it was in no way his fault, was that we were never able to have children, and not for a lack of trying. I did not know if it was simply a matter of time, or if the Gods had frowned upon me for some unknown offense, but the fact was that it simply did not happen. Sometimes, I even wondered if Amunakh might have grown to resent me for it, though that was only speculation on my part; if he ever did, then he was kind enough to never show it.

In any case, though I would have loved to have children with my former husband, when I think about it coldly, I always reach the conclusion that it was for the best that it never happened. Perhaps the Gods were not angered, but pleased, and had arranged my destiny in the least painful manner, but that is something I cannot know. Oh, but I'm getting sidetracked. I'll continue with the story. Six floodings after I had contracted marriage with Amunakh, he informed me that he had been tasked with overseeing and recording the construction of a monument to the Sleeping King outside of the city, and as I did not need to play at the temple constantly, I decided to accompany him. We traveled together to the construction site, where hundreds of laborers were hard at work dragging and carving enormous slabs of rock in order to create the monument. As I witnessed this, I was very impressed; I had seen the enormous stone buildings that occupied the center of the city and other key areas, of course, but until then I had not known the heroic efforts that were needed to raise them. My husband, on the other hand, seemed very calm, and immediately began recording the progress of the building efforts. I suspect that was not the first time he had seen it, but I never thought to ask, awed as I was.

For the first few days, everything was calm. During the day, the workers would be toiling under the sun while my husband sat underneath a reed canopy and recorded everything in his papyrus, and I would be there as well, tending to him and observing the monument as it began to take shape. During the nights, as the workers ate and rested, I would play music for them in hopes that it would lift their spirits and ease their pain, as I knew that their task was not easy, and while some resented those of my class, many more were grateful for the attention given to them, and for me, that was enough. But before the construction was over, something terrible took place. Late at night, while Amunakh and I slept, assassins of unknown origin arrived at the site and began slaughtering the workers. My husband woke up and left to find out what was happening, only to have his throat slit by one of the bandits, and I myself had my womb pierced by one of their blades. They did not seem to show any interest in me once I was mortally wounded, and I did not die immediately, but I had little hope of reaching anyone that could provide assistance, and I soon passed out.

Hmm? Oh, yes, I'm fine, please don't worry about me. It is a difficult moment of my life, but it is an important part nonetheless, so I'll continue. After passing out, I somehow woke up on an altar, inside what appeared to be an old, small temple. Around me were a few men clad in garbs that resembled those of the priests of Re, though they were not the same. I would later learn that these men were the Children of Ammit, outcasts and scholars well versed in magic. However, at the time, I was very upset and confused, and I'm afraid I might have caused quite a bit of trouble for those men until they were able to calm me down. They explained to me that they had come across the site and seen the bodies, and that I was the only one that they could help. I was quite distraught to learn that Amunakh had not been as fortunate as I, but I was also amazed at the fact that these men had somehow been able to bring me back from the gates of Duat. As they continued to explain, I learned that I truly had died, though my body had not yet deteriorated and my ba had not yet moved too far. I was, once more, in awe, and when these mysterious men offered to take me to another land so that I could begin a life anew, as I would likely not be accepted in Tjenu after the incident where I perished, I declined and instead begged them to teach me their ways, as I had the hope of being able to save others in the same way they had saved me. I had little to offer at that point, but fortunately, the head of the Children of Ammit appreciated music, and in exchange for playing for him, he agreed to teach me the secrets of his order.

Well, it might sounds like all of the above took place very quickly, but the truth is I spent quite a while coming to terms with what happened that night. However, I presume you would not wish to hear about my moping, so I think skipping that is for the best. Anyway, I spent the following two years learning the secrets of the Children of Ammit. They cultivated the knowledge of ancient forms of magic native to my beloved Kemet, and with them I studied the properties of the soul and the ways in which the various forces that conform it can be exploited, for good or evil, though naturally I focused on the former, as I had and still have little intention of harming others, something that the priests of the cult agreed with. Sometimes we would even venture into Tjenu and its outskirts to help the sick and dying, especially the poor, since they could afford neither the care of medics nor the passage to Duat. However, this eventually earned us the enmity of the priesthood, as our activities indirectly undermined their control over the people of Tjenu. At the end of the two years I mentioned, by the supposed decree of the Sleeping King, a mob invaded the temple of Ammit, bearing the deadliest of weapons: fire, the one thing capable of completely barring a person from Duat. I fled, along with the priests of Ammit, but I was soon separated from the others, and later cornered.

And, well, as you know, that was when I ended up here. I hope you are satisfied with my story. You are? Then I'm happy for that! But now, if you'll excuse me, I should get back to my duties.

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST STRENGTH AS AN INDIVIDUAL: A scholarly disposition to learn about the world, to try her hardest to understand worldviews that conflict with her own, and to take away all she can from every experience.

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST FLAW: A tendency to remain passive in situations that require swift action.

O B J E C T I V E S

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: To come to terms with her new reality and do something meaningful with her second chance at life.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: To assist others in any way she can and continue to be a moral person.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: To learn all that she can about the world around her.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: To perfect and perpetuate the teachings of the Children of Ammit.

M U N D A N ES K I L L S

SKILL: Ancient Egyptian (speaking, reading and writing)
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Exposure, scholarly studies

SKILL: Flute playing
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Exposure/experience

SKILL: Cooking
HOW DID CHARACTER ACQUIRE IT: Homeschooling

SKILL: Housekeeping

SKILL: Making/repairing clothes

SKILL: Applying cosmetics

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Understanding of ka
HOW DID YOU ACQUIRE IT: Studying magic with the Children of Ammit
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: It is the knowledge, comprehension and perception of immaterial life force, its functions and its properties, and allows for its manipulation.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: Ka is only found attached to physical objects, never on its own. It is a difficult element to manipulate and requires care and focus to achieve the desired result.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Understanding of ren
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: It is the understanding of the names of things and the roles they play, as well as various methods to discern, exploit or protect them.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: The user requires the knowledge of one or more names to be able to do anything.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL/ABILITY: Amulet crafting
WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: It is the knowledge of how to craft magical amulets for a variety of purposes.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: The user requires materials to craft amulets, and might require additional knowledge from the intended owner of the amulet or from other sources.

Please refer to application instructions regarding this section. You have 8 total points to spend total, no single characteristic greater than 4.

Please refer to application instructions regarding this section. You have 10 total points to spend total, no single spell or ability greater than 4. Magic users MUST have specialized knowledge in order to use these; that knowledge MUST correlate appropriately.

SPELL/FORCE ABILITY: Discernment of the ren
WHAT DOES IT DO: Grant knowledge of the hidden name of an entity.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: As frequently as the user's mental fortitude allows.
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED: Any single living entity.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Anything that can break the user's focus.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Mental strain that increases depending on the complexity of the entity in question.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: At the present time, Meritari can only discern the names simple creatures such as animals.

SPELL/FORCE ABILITY: Calling of the ren
WHAT DOES IT DO: Give an order to an entity whose hidden name is known.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: As frequently as the user's mental fortitude allows.
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED: Any single living entity and knowledge of said entity's hidden name.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Anything that can break the user's focus, a stronger order, a stronger will or a temperament too volatile to control.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Mental strain that increases depending on the temperament of the entity in question and the amount of orders already given. Physical damage may result from the struggle in extreme cases.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: At the present time, Meritari can only issue simple orders, one at a time.

SPELL/FORCE ABILITY: Transference of ka
WHAT DOES IT DO: Move ka between objects. At its most basic, this allows the user to restore an object at the cost of another.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: As frequently as the user's mental/physical fortitude allows.
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED: Any single object that possesses ka.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Mental strain, always, possibly physical strain or damage as well if the user's own ka is used, or if the transference is too prolonged.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: The transference will require some time to be completed, and this time increases depending on the magnitude of the transference. Changes caused by this transference are fast, but not instantaneous.

M A G I C A LI T E M S

ITEM: Ren amulet of protection
SPELL/ABILITY: Protection against curses
WHAT DOES IT DO: Affords some degree of protection against harmful magic directed at the user
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: Its effect is constant.
WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED: None.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Strong enough curses, or knowledge of how to use Meritari's ren against her.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Nothing.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: It can only reject so much magic before being overpowered.

P E R S O N A LI T E M S
  1. Clothing and accessories (dress, sandals, jewelry)
  2. A flute
  3. Several papyri about magical subjects

E Q U I P M E N T
  1. Some sort of translator device.
  2. Papyrus, wood, stone, and writing and crafting tools, needed to create amulets.

URL TO APARTMENT INTERIOR: Similar, but with less hieroglyphs on the walls, no gold ornaments, and a more traditional bed.

ONE PARAGRAPH THAT SUMS UP YOUR CHARACTER. THIS WILL APPEAR ON THE OOC FIRST PAGE: Hailing from the lost city of Tjenu, Meritari is a young woman whose tragic circumstances led to the loss of her family and her rescue by an ancient order of magicians and scholars naming themselves after the mythical Devourer of Hearts. Studying the arcane with them until tragedy struck once again, she now seeks to assist others to the best of her ability with her knowledge of the forms of magic cultivated in old Kemet.

YOUR NICKNAME ON NS: Zark
HOW OFTEN CAN YOU POST: Once a week at least (might vary at times, but this should be the standard, can try to do more if required)

Last edited by Zarkenis Ultima on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:08 am

Oh man. Trying to redo my app is going to be so awful. I've so much to do.
Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:43 am

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Here's my app at last :P it's not finished, but I've just got the bio to go and I figured I could post what I have see if the rest is fine.

#PLAPP

(Image)

P E R S O N A L

DESCRIBE CHARACTER APPEARANCE: Meritari stands at an unimpressive 5'3'', with dark skin, a slim build, brown/black hair that reaches past her shoulders, and dark brown eyes. Favors light clothes and dresses. Her right hand is completely skeletal up to the wrist.

DESIRED POSITION WITHIN THE AGENCY: Healer, craftswoman, or a similar supporting role.

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST STRENGTH AS AN INDIVIDUAL: A scholarly disposition to learn about the world, to try her hardest to understand worldviews that conflict with her own, and to take away all she can from every experience.

WHAT IS THE CHARACTER'S GREATEST FLAW: A tendency to remain passive in situations that require swift action.

O B J E C T I V E S

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: To come to terms with her new reality and do something meaningful with her second chance at life.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: To assist others in any way she can and continue to be a moral person.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: To perfect and perpetuate the teachings of the Children of Ammit.

M U N D A N ES K I L L S

WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: It is the knowledge, comprehension and perception of immaterial life force, its functions and its properties, and allows for its manipulation.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: Ka is only found attached to physical objects, never on its own. It is a difficult element to manipulate and requires care and focus to achieve the desired result.

WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: It is the understanding of the names of things and the roles they play, as well as various methods to discern, exploit or protect them.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: The user requires the knowledge of one or more names to be able to do anything.

WHAT DOES IT DO/HOW IS IT APPLIED: It is the knowledge of how to craft magical amulets for a variety of purposes.
LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS: The user requires materials to craft amulets, and might require additional knowledge from the intended owner of the amulet or from other sources.

Please refer to application instructions regarding this section. You have 10 total points to spend total, no single spell or ability greater than 4. Magic users MUST have specialized knowledge in order to use these; that knowledge MUST correlate appropriately.

WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Mental strain that increases depending on the complexity of the entity in question.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: At the present time, Meritari can only discern the names simple creatures such as animals.

WHAT COMPONENTS DOES IT NEED: Any single living entity and knowledge of said entity's hidden name.
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Anything that can break the user's focus, a stronger order, a stronger will or a temperament too volatile to control.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Mental strain that increases depending on the temperament of the entity in question and the amount of orders already given. Physical damage may result from the struggle in extreme cases.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: At the present time, Meritari can only issue simple orders, one at a time.

WHAT DOES IT DO: Move ka between objects. At its most basic, this allows the user to restore an object at the cost of another.
HOW FREQUENTLY CAN IT BE USED: As frequently as the user's mental/physical fortitude allows.
WHAT DOES IT COST THE CHARACTER, MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY: Mental strain, always, possibly physical strain or damage as well if the user's own ka is used, or if the transference is too prolonged.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: The transference will require some time to be completed, and this time increases depending on the magnitude of the transference. Changes caused by this transference are fast, but not instantaneous.

M A G I C A LI T E M S

WHAT DOES IT DO: Affords some degree of protection against harmful magic directed at the user
WHAT COUNTERS/NEGATES IT: Strong enough curses, or knowledge of how to use Meritari's ren against her.
WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY: It can only reject so much magic before being overpowered.

P E R S O N A LI T E M S
  2. A flute

E Q U I P M E N T
  2. Papyrus, wood, stone, and writing and crafting tools, needed to create amulets.

URL TO APARTMENT INTERIOR: Similar, but with less hieroglyphs on the walls, no gold ornaments, and a more traditional bed.

ONE PARAGRAPH THAT SUMS UP YOUR CHARACTER. THIS WILL APPEAR ON THE OOC FIRST PAGE: Hailing from the lost city of Tjenu, Meritari is a young woman whose tragic circumstances led to the loss of her family and her rescue by an ancient order of magicians and scholars naming themselves after the mythical Devourer of Hearts. Studying the arcane with them until tragedy struck once again, she now seeks to assist others to the best of her ability with her knowledge of the forms of magic cultivated in old Kemet.

HOW OFTEN CAN YOU POST: Once a week at least (might vary at times, but this should be the standard, can try to do more if required)

Approved, Zark. Nicely done.

I'm going to intro the rebooted setting and premise today or tomorrow, leaving Gio free to do a bit of an adventure.

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:27 pm

Cerillium wrote:
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Here's my app at last :P it's not finished, but I've just got the bio to go and I figured I could post what I have see if the rest is fine.

#PLAPP

(Image)

P E R S O N A L

O B J E C T I V E S

M U N D A N ES K I L L S

M A G I C A LI T E M S

P E R S O N A LI T E M S
  2. A flute

E Q U I P M E N T

Approved, Zark. Nicely done.

I'm going to intro the rebooted setting and premise today or tomorrow, leaving Gio free to do a bit of an adventure.

Approved already? Does that mean I don't need the bio? :P
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!

Swith Witherward
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Swith Witherward » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:26 am

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:

Do a bio anyway. :p
★ Senior P2TM RP Mentor ★
How may I help you today?
TG Swith Witherward
Why is everyone a social justice warrior?
Why didn't any of you choose a different class,
like social justice mage or social justice thief?
P2TM Mentor & Personal Bio: Gentlemen, Behold!
Raider Account Bio: The Eternal Bugblatter Fennec of Traal!
Madhouse
Role Play
& Writers Group
Anti-intellectual elitism: the dismissal of science, the arts,
and humanities and their replacement by entertainment,
self-righteousness, ignorance, and deliberate gullibility. - sauce

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:41 am

Swith Witherward wrote:
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:

Do a bio anyway. :p

Damn, foiled again.

I'll put it up sometime this weekend, most likely.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:02 am

o/ Swiffer

*puts foil crown on lich kitty*
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Out of town til Sunday.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 am

The new IC is up! https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=425326

Let me know if you have any questions before posting. We begin with everyone in the dining room for the Residents Meeting. If you read the post, you'll see how things have shifted.
Last edited by Cerillium on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:22 am

I'll be out of town this weekend as well.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse