NATION

PASSWORD

Spacepunk (OOC, character-RP, Open)

For all of your non-Nationstates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Mufasana
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 43
Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mufasana » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:19 pm

Xah wrote:
Mufasana wrote:Where is the place where we'll work?


'The place where we'll work'?

Um, it's a spaceship. You know, the whole premise of the RP. Did you even read any of the background? Your character app took three attempts to mesh with what's in it and now you're asking where the work place is? You're not instilling me in confidence with this.

And, what is kasei tech at?


Kasei is on about the same level as the UTF; if you were to scale the power and development of the various nationstates, it'd look a bit like this:

1 - United Terran Federation
2 - Kasei Alliance
3 - Mesoamerican Union
4 - Lada Cooperative
5 - Harpagia Sulcus
6 - Tharsis Federation
7 - Luna Republic
8 - Ishtaria
9 - Venusian Federation
10- Osiris Republic

Sorry. Meant where on the ship. I didn't see it on the model. If you would like me to leave the rp, I will.
Generation 42: Please add one to this number when you add it to your sig.
I'm a thrawnist and proud of it. (put this in your sig if you support Thrawn!!)

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Name: Carmentis Castillo (a.k.a. “C.C.”)
World of origin: Mercury
Nationality: Mercurian
Position applied for: Domestic
Relevant skills: M.A. Food Arts and Sciences. B.A. Hotel Management. Housekeeping. Arnis (Master Level).
Previous experience: Born and raised in a Mercurian Miners Commune, the descendent of Filipinos and daughter of a long line of Arnis masters. Ms. Castillo was trained from an early age to take a role as a domestic for the miners (who were generally men). She took lessons in cooking and management from the computer and was judged by persons of superior experience and skill in the applicable areas.
Ms. Castillo was allowed to emigrate from Mercury due to the ten year annual bio-habitat-reassessment (which coincidentally happened when a rare spacecraft was visiting and attempting to engage in trading activities).
Last edited by WhatsamattaU on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Xah
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Jan 25, 2016
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Xah » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:17 am

WhatsamattaU wrote:Name: Carmentis Castillo (a.k.a. “C.C.”)
World of origin: Mercury
Nationality: Mercurian
Position applied for: Domestic
Relevant skills: M.A. Food Arts and Sciences. B.A. Hotel Management. Housekeeping. Arnis (Master Level).
Previous experience: Born and raised in a Mercurian Miners Commune, the descendent of Filipinos and daughter of a long line of Arnis masters. Ms. Castillo was trained from an early age to take a role as a domestic for the miners (who were generally men). She took lessons in cooking and management from the computer and was judged by persons of superior experience and skill in the applicable areas.
Ms. Castillo was allowed to emigrate from Mercury due to the ten year annual bio-habitat-reassessment (which coincidentally happened when a rare spacecraft was visiting and attempting to engage in trading activities).


Looks good, feel free to drop into the RP
The Fibonacci series, as easy as 1, 1, 2, 3




Atheist, socialist, humanist, educated, European; in short, an American conservative's boogyman.

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:34 am

Xah wrote:
WhatsamattaU wrote:Name: Carmentis Castillo (a.k.a. “C.C.”)
World of origin: Mercury
Nationality: Mercurian
Position applied for: Domestic
Relevant skills: M.A. Food Arts and Sciences. B.A. Hotel Management. Housekeeping. Arnis (Master Level).
Previous experience: Born and raised in a Mercurian Miners Commune, the descendent of Filipinos and daughter of a long line of Arnis masters. Ms. Castillo was trained from an early age to take a role as a domestic for the miners (who were generally men). She took lessons in cooking and management from the computer and was judged by persons of superior experience and skill in the applicable areas.
Ms. Castillo was allowed to emigrate from Mercury due to the ten year annual bio-habitat-reassessment (which coincidentally happened when a rare spacecraft was visiting and attempting to engage in trading activities).


Looks good, feel free to drop into the RP

Thanks. Probably tonight or tomorrow evening.

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Xah wrote:
WhatsamattaU wrote:I would like to run a character from Mercury. Comparable gravity to Mars. Maybe the Domestic position.

Or is Mercury something that is supposed to be mysterious?


Mercury isn't mysterious, it's just isolated and difficult to live on, the delta-V just to visit is fairly large and there's no guarantee of either fuel or resources being available so most private enterprises don't bother. There's easier places to go.

What do you think about a catapult system on Mercury, to aid ships escape velocity? A ship might have have been designed and constructed with a catapult system in mind....

User avatar
Inter-Universal Republic of Earth
Envoy
 
Posts: 300
Founded: Apr 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Inter-Universal Republic of Earth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:44 pm

May I create a more mysterious character?
Wanna see my really big ship?

_[' ]_
(-_Q)

User avatar
Grenartia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 42499
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:37 pm

WhatsamattaU wrote:
Xah wrote:
Mercury isn't mysterious, it's just isolated and difficult to live on, the delta-V just to visit is fairly large and there's no guarantee of either fuel or resources being available so most private enterprises don't bother. There's easier places to go.

What do you think about a catapult system on Mercury, to aid ships escape velocity? A ship might have have been designed and constructed with a catapult system in mind....


A catapult? What, like some kind of space gun? Most likely no. That'd require spending resources to operate. Besides, the other big problem is actually landing in the first place, since Mercury has no atmosphere, so you can't aerobrake (which saves a lot of delta-v, as any KSP player will tell you). So you have to have delta-v to deorbit, land, AND to lift off, and reach orbit again.
Impeach Humanity, Legalize Death Stars, Life is TheftWis/Gren 2016 Something all cisgender allies should start doing. I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith. ⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧
"Don't take life so serious. It isn't permanent."-Dyakovo
I'm a pansexual Androgyne. Also a Christian.
Please use they/them/their when referencing me, as I do NOT appreciate the other pronouns.
Textbook definition of irony
Quotes of awesomeness

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Grenartia wrote:
WhatsamattaU wrote:What do you think about a catapult system on Mercury, to aid ships escape velocity? A ship might have have been designed and constructed with a catapult system in mind....


A catapult? What, like some kind of space gun? Most likely no. That'd require spending resources to operate. Besides, the other big problem is actually landing in the first place, since Mercury has no atmosphere, so you can't aerobrake (which saves a lot of delta-v, as any KSP player will tell you). So you have to have delta-v to deorbit, land, AND to lift off, and reach orbit again.

Yes, like a rail-gun sled or an aircraft carrier catapult.

Actually, that would be VERY cost effective for Mercury to build, to boost a package of exports into orbit...

The problem is a good planetary catching system for receiving imports.

User avatar
Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20578
Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Rupudska » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:17 pm

WhatsamattaU wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
A catapult? What, like some kind of space gun? Most likely no. That'd require spending resources to operate. Besides, the other big problem is actually landing in the first place, since Mercury has no atmosphere, so you can't aerobrake (which saves a lot of delta-v, as any KSP player will tell you). So you have to have delta-v to deorbit, land, AND to lift off, and reach orbit again.

Yes, like a rail-gun sled or an aircraft carrier catapult.

Actually, that would be VERY cost effective for Mercury to build, to boost a package of exports into orbit...

The problem is a good planetary catching system for receiving imports.


Space hook?
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState
Best thread ever.|Ace Combat!
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Rupudska wrote:
WhatsamattaU wrote:Yes, like a rail-gun sled or an aircraft carrier catapult.

Actually, that would be VERY cost effective for Mercury to build, to boost a package of exports into orbit...

The problem is a good planetary catching system for receiving imports.


Space hook?

Ideally, an elevator, but there doesn't appear to be one on Mercury. Also, looking at wiki on SkyHook, that appears to be another method of export. If you can figure how goods can be safely landed with the SkyHook, I'd love you to explain it to me.

Didn't the landing of the Mars Rovers have a similar problem? I wouldn't recommend it for extremely fragile goods, but a
drop-capture zone could be established and goods could be dropped inside a cocoon of durable ballons.
Last edited by WhatsamattaU on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Grenartia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 42499
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:05 pm

WhatsamattaU wrote:
Rupudska wrote:
Space hook?

Ideally, an elevator, but there doesn't appear to be one on Mercury. Also, looking at wiki on SkyHook, that appears to be another method of export. If you can figure how goods can be safely landed with the SkyHook, I'd love you to explain it to me.

Didn't the landing of the Mars Rovers have a similar problem? I wouldn't recommend it for extremely fragile goods, but a
drop-capture zone could be established and goods could be dropped inside a cocoon of durable ballons.


Mars rovers had the benefit of 1. having a destination with an atmosphere, even if its a thin one, and 2. not needing to carry a bunch of volatile chemicals in order to get back to Earth.

Also, even if those two things were irrelevant here, its not exactly the best way of getting people to the surface.
Impeach Humanity, Legalize Death Stars, Life is TheftWis/Gren 2016 Something all cisgender allies should start doing. I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith. ⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧
"Don't take life so serious. It isn't permanent."-Dyakovo
I'm a pansexual Androgyne. Also a Christian.
Please use they/them/their when referencing me, as I do NOT appreciate the other pronouns.
Textbook definition of irony
Quotes of awesomeness

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Grenartia wrote:
WhatsamattaU wrote:Ideally, an elevator, but there doesn't appear to be one on Mercury. Also, looking at wiki on SkyHook, that appears to be another method of export. If you can figure how goods can be safely landed with the SkyHook, I'd love you to explain it to me.

Didn't the landing of the Mars Rovers have a similar problem? I wouldn't recommend it for extremely fragile goods, but a
drop-capture zone could be established and goods could be dropped inside a cocoon of durable ballons.


Mars rovers had the benefit of 1. having a destination with an atmosphere, even if its a thin one, and 2. not needing to carry a bunch of volatile chemicals in order to get back to Earth.

Also, even if those two things were irrelevant here, its not exactly the best way of getting people to the surface.

Well, I wasn't talking about people. At least for the landing. Need a better system for them.
Catapult is still great of exporting materials to orbit. Anyone here ever read, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"?

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:52 am

Hey, CoNAS.

I think, since you used quotation marks, even though you wrote that you were thinking, that maybe your character, Rod' was accidentally 'thinking out loud'.

So, I would like your permission to write as if Rod actually said what he thought.

User avatar
Xah
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Jan 25, 2016
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Xah » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:46 am

The main issue with Mercury is a) getting rid of delta-V accumulated by diving in towards the sun and b) regaining delta-V to get out. It's not impossible, and certainly not super-difficult, but why bother? There's worlds easier to get to and with more to offer.
The Fibonacci series, as easy as 1, 1, 2, 3




Atheist, socialist, humanist, educated, European; in short, an American conservative's boogyman.

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am

Xah wrote:The main issue with Mercury is a) getting rid of delta-V accumulated by diving in towards the sun and b) regaining delta-V to get out. It's not impossible, and certainly not super-difficult, but why bother? There's worlds easier to get to and with more to offer.

Just having fun with the idea of problem solving.

User avatar
Coalition of North American States
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: May 31, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Coalition of North American States » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:44 pm

As long as we're talking impossible, I started calculating how to move the moon with Space Shuttle main engines.
Independent American. I support the Bill of Rights. I DO NOT support either party. Or the Green Party, or the Libertarian Party. I'm purely Independent.

Call me CoNAS

Copy and paste this into your sig if you think the two party system is bad.
Generation 41, the first time you see this copy and paste it to your sig and add 1 to the generation

User avatar
Grenartia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 42499
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Coalition of North American States wrote:As long as we're talking impossible, I started calculating how to move the moon with Space Shuttle main engines.


I have one, singular question (that I'm sure would be echoed by anyone else with a physics background):

WHY?!
Impeach Humanity, Legalize Death Stars, Life is TheftWis/Gren 2016 Something all cisgender allies should start doing. I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith. ⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧
"Don't take life so serious. It isn't permanent."-Dyakovo
I'm a pansexual Androgyne. Also a Christian.
Please use they/them/their when referencing me, as I do NOT appreciate the other pronouns.
Textbook definition of irony
Quotes of awesomeness

User avatar
Xah
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Jan 25, 2016
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Xah » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:37 am

So, I'm going to be moving the RP onto the ship and away from Ceres soon; anyone who hasn't joined the RP will be left behind. This doesn't preclude you from taking part, but you'll need to come up with a very plausible reason to join up later.

Based on activity so far, these crew positions are filled by the following:

Captain: Ember Kone (NPC)
First Officer: Quil Oretea (Maldurich)
Chief Engineer: Emilia Jorgeir (Rupudska)
Comms: Anton Krill (Mufasana)
Navsens: Phoenix McLaurin (Grenartia) (I know it was an app for 'general' engineer, but this is a key position, and Phoenix is qualified for it)
Drive engineer: Rod Walker (Coalition of North American States)
Life support: George Collins (Labstoska)
Domestic/cook: Carmentis Castillo (WhatsamattaU)

The only 'crucial' position left is doctor, although it'll probably never be needed (although if it is, when you're a million clicks from the nearest hospital....)

If anyone has issue with this, let me know, things can still be rearranged before it becomes a formal offer in RP.
The Fibonacci series, as easy as 1, 1, 2, 3




Atheist, socialist, humanist, educated, European; in short, an American conservative's boogyman.

User avatar
Coalition of North American States
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: May 31, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Coalition of North American States » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:01 am

Grenartia wrote:
Coalition of North American States wrote:As long as we're talking impossible, I started calculating how to move the moon with Space Shuttle main engines.


I have one, singular question (that I'm sure would be echoed by anyone else with a physics background):

WHY?!


Don't ask me why because I don't know either.
Independent American. I support the Bill of Rights. I DO NOT support either party. Or the Green Party, or the Libertarian Party. I'm purely Independent.

Call me CoNAS

Copy and paste this into your sig if you think the two party system is bad.
Generation 41, the first time you see this copy and paste it to your sig and add 1 to the generation

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:52 am

Good grief.

You have succeeded draining the fun from my musings about Mercury and spacecraft.

Does anyone have anything about story to post?

User avatar
WhatsamattaU
Minister
 
Posts: 2005
Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby WhatsamattaU » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:04 pm

So, who's writing next in IC?

User avatar
Grenartia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 42499
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:36 am

Xah wrote:So, I'm going to be moving the RP onto the ship and away from Ceres soon; anyone who hasn't joined the RP will be left behind. This doesn't preclude you from taking part, but you'll need to come up with a very plausible reason to join up later.

Based on activity so far, these crew positions are filled by the following:

Captain: Ember Kone (NPC)
First Officer: Quil Oretea (Maldurich)
Chief Engineer: Emilia Jorgeir (Rupudska)
Comms: Anton Krill (Mufasana)
Navsens: Phoenix McLaurin (Grenartia) (I know it was an app for 'general' engineer, but this is a key position, and Phoenix is qualified for it)
Drive engineer: Rod Walker (Coalition of North American States)
Life support: George Collins (Labstoska)
Domestic/cook: Carmentis Castillo (WhatsamattaU)

The only 'crucial' position left is doctor, although it'll probably never be needed (although if it is, when you're a million clicks from the nearest hospital....)

If anyone has issue with this, let me know, things can still be rearranged before it becomes a formal offer in RP.


So who's payload engineer/quartermaster/[whatever other hats that position involves]?
Impeach Humanity, Legalize Death Stars, Life is TheftWis/Gren 2016 Something all cisgender allies should start doing. I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith. ⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧
"Don't take life so serious. It isn't permanent."-Dyakovo
I'm a pansexual Androgyne. Also a Christian.
Please use they/them/their when referencing me, as I do NOT appreciate the other pronouns.
Textbook definition of irony
Quotes of awesomeness

User avatar
Xah
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Jan 25, 2016
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Xah » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:14 am

Grenartia wrote:So who's payload engineer/quartermaster/[whatever other hats that position involves]?


That's a position that can be shared amongst the other engineers, including Phoenix. So long as you're happy with Phoenix taking on Navsens?
The Fibonacci series, as easy as 1, 1, 2, 3




Atheist, socialist, humanist, educated, European; in short, an American conservative's boogyman.

User avatar
Grenartia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 42499
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Xah wrote:
Grenartia wrote:So who's payload engineer/quartermaster/[whatever other hats that position involves]?


That's a position that can be shared amongst the other engineers, including Phoenix. So long as you're happy with Phoenix taking on Navsens?


Fine by me, as long as they get to be called Helm instead. :P
Impeach Humanity, Legalize Death Stars, Life is TheftWis/Gren 2016 Something all cisgender allies should start doing. I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith. ⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧
"Don't take life so serious. It isn't permanent."-Dyakovo
I'm a pansexual Androgyne. Also a Christian.
Please use they/them/their when referencing me, as I do NOT appreciate the other pronouns.
Textbook definition of irony
Quotes of awesomeness

User avatar
Xah
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Jan 25, 2016
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Xah » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:07 am

Grenartia wrote:Fine by me, as long as they get to be called Helm instead. :P


I'm sure that can done, although it's less actual piloting the ship, and more just entering in commands for the ship to do all the moving itself. Not as exciting as using a joystick and thrust lever I'm afraid :)
The Fibonacci series, as easy as 1, 1, 2, 3




Atheist, socialist, humanist, educated, European; in short, an American conservative's boogyman.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sao Nova Europa

Advertisement

Remove ads