NATION

PASSWORD

Tales of Aedrorynn {OOC|CLOSED}

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Brusia
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brusia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:43 am

Hastiaka wrote:Thank you! I was trying to find these :lol:

My pleasure :)

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:33 pm

So, now I'll be going totally and fully inactive for a whole week. Going to St. Petersburg.
Ex-NE Panzerwaffe Hauptmann; War Merit Cross & Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
Ex Woodhouse Loyalist & Ex Inactive BLITZKRIEG Foreign Relations Minister
REST IN PEACE HERZOG FRIEDRICH VON WÜRTTEMBERG! † 9. May 2018
Furchtlos und Treu dem Hause Württemberg für alle Ewigkeit!

Charlia
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:So, now I'll be going totally and fully inactive for a whole week. Going to St. Petersburg.
n that case, it would seem that Rena is very, very stuck.

...I'll have to think of something to do about that, won't I? Hmm.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 pm

Charlia wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:So, now I'll be going totally and fully inactive for a whole week. Going to St. Petersburg.
n that case, it would seem that Rena is very, very stuck.

...I'll have to think of something to do about that, won't I? Hmm.

Very well, I will do my best to pump out last stuff to keep you entertained this evening.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Anyone here who would take control of Dietrich during my absence?
Or is he simply gonna invisibly tag along?

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Anyone here who would take control of Dietrich during my absence?
I'm not at the level where I'd feel comfortable taking control of him, so, uh, not it.

(And no, it's not because of his character in and of itself; I just don't feel like I know him well enough to properly portray him. There aren't many characters I would feel comfortable taking control of, for fear of screwing it up with the characterization.)

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Charlia wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Anyone here who would take control of Dietrich during my absence?
I'm not at the level where I'd feel comfortable taking control of him, so, uh, not it.

(And no, it's not because of his character in and of itself; I just don't feel like I know him well enough to properly portray him. There aren't many characters I would feel comfortable taking control of, for fear of screwing it up with the characterization.)

Don't worry, it's the same with me. Hence why I never take over characters, even just temporarily.

Faal Lot Himdah
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Faal Lot Himdah » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Exil, a little late for arriving at the crab party as they have all already left that beach
#BlameVoid
A VeryProudCanadian
Charlia wrote:Faal Lot Himdah - A wizard. Possibly evil. Seen associating with Charlia, who baas at him a lot when he doesn't feed her enough. #BlameVoid

Kuhlfros wrote:Fall Lot Himdah=Alakazam (May or May not have to do with Merlin)

Spindle wrote:I swear, you two are pretty much the font of all evil in this world...

Spindle wrote:Aaaaaand, the font of all sass.

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:Exil, a little late for arriving at the crab party as they have all already left that beach

Ooh! Vagabonds then? (He probably won't be able to edit his post, so we can just pretend.) I was kind of hoping for them in the first place. We've already got a lovely amount of tension between everyone's favorite good-for-nothing, the Mongol, and, well, Samantha, add two psychos and things'll get really interesting!

Yekrenia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

OC Character (First Draft)

Postby Yekrenia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Character App
Name:
- (Pesetorian Chinese): 艾建鵬
- (Simple English Translation): Ai Jian Peng
Sex: Female
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Bio: (Can this be developed throughout the RP? I could create a biography, but if you know me well enough, you will know that I always input high quality and convey a story in a character's biography/history. If I were to create a biography at a comfortable pace, it would take me a month or more.)
Appearance:
- (Physical): Ai Jian Peng is a young adult Pesetorian female that stands at a height of 161cm, and because of the fact that Pesetorians have ectomorph body types and low body fat, Ai Jian Peng's gender is difficult to distinguish, considering that her breast size is an A- measurement to further mask her true gender. She has short-length black coloured hair and green eyes, whom are twice as bigger than Homo Sapien due to the low lighting and weak red sun that her homeworld (Dasan) orbits as a gas giant moon. Because Ai Jian Peng is a Pesetorian, she has no nose (leaving her own species unable to detects scents, and produce the sounds 'M' and 'N'), and her skin is pale due to the poor red lighting; however, despite her alien features, Ai Jian Peng has a surprisingly curvy mesomorph body and legs that are slightly longer than her arms, permitting her long strides.
- (Clothing): As a black ops field agent, Ai Jian Peng wears a black long-sleeve tunic with a stand-and-fall collar (along with a black plastic-based swimsuit underneath, and an armband on her left arm), black thigh-high boots (which are secured by a zipper, and have tear and water resistant socks underneath), and a black beret on her head. She also wears a load-bearing vest - which is literally translated in Pesetorian Chinese as, Solid Proof Vest - that acts as a stab and bulletproof vest in of itself. Her thigh-high boots are waterproof and insoluble to acids due to its microscopic multi-layer polymer-based cloth, which also makes the boots fireproof along with the rest of her attire; however, while the boots are comfortable and cushion Ai Jian Peng against nasty falls, the cloth in mind has little to no ventilation, and as well as offer limited protection against the cold since the polymers in the cloth become stiff in said conditions.

Starting Equipment:
- Two Stun Grenades
- Load-Bearing/Bullet-Proof Vest
- Two Electric Knives (Blades are blunt just enough to only inflected bruises and minor electric burns on flesh at worst, or eventually knock a victim unconscious when struck enough times)
- Basic Bomb Defuse Kit (Including wire cutters and an auxiliary battery)
- Basic Medical Kit (Including tweezers, a bandage roll, and a couple dressing packets)
- Basic Lockpicking Kit
- Air Taser (With retractable barbs and self-charging battery)
- Small Flashlight
Skills: Since Pesetorian females are naturally acrobatic and agile compared to their human counterparts, Ai Jian Peng compensates her naturally slower running speed and inferior durability with extreme agility and maneuverability. Subsequently, Ai Jian Peng can climb or slip through obstacles that would normally inhibit an ordinary human (unless said human was an parkour expert or a professional athlete themselves), with ordinary fences and elevated locations being fairly easy to traverse for Ai Jian Peng. In addition, as a black ops field agent, Ai Jian Peng has been trained to execute clandestine missions with objectives prioritized in stealth and espionage; however, while Ai Jian Peng is proficient in multiple Chinese martial arts and comfortable in using it with lethal force, her training and previous missions have focused mostly on a 'zero-kill' protocol, which consequently restricts Ai Jian Peng into only killing targets when deemed a critical threat. Elsewhere, when combat is not an issue, while Pesetorian Chinese is different from Human Chinese in terms of pronunciation, Ai Jian Peng can read and understand multiple dialects of Chinese, which otherwise leaves her partially illiterate in terms of speaking. Plus, like most Pesetorian families who have many children (which can range from eight to twenty in an average Pesetorian family, compared to usually three to six children in the average Human family), Ai Jian Peng is accustomed to tight spaces (e.g. Building or Forest) and collectivist family lifestyle, which leaves her unaffected in living in communal apartments.

RP Sample: Reference
Did you read the Rules: Yes

Optional Stuff:

Personality: Ai Jian Peng can be incredibly stoic and quiet whenever he is under enormous stress, in a bad mood, or when being stealthy. On the other hand, she is laid-back and forgiving, if not also blunt and straightforward in her speech; however, actions tend to speak for her most of the time, suggesting that she can be an introvert at certain points in time. Plus, as a black ops field agent, Ai Jian Peng can be cold and calm when out in the field, especially when it comes to interrogations or a chase, which can often leave the impression on both peers and enemies alike that she is a cold blooded killer.
Likes: Cities, Freerunning, Creative Writing, Stealth, Hiding, Apartments, Snow, Sailing, Forests, and Swimming
Dislikes: Bright Lights, Harsh-Tasting Foods (especially anything sour or sweet), Dirty Clothes, Math, Politics, Valleys, Sand and Deserts, Hot Weather, Perverts, Alcohol, and Narcotics

Alignment: Neutral Good
Theme Song: 偷偷摸摸

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 pm

APP:
Character App
Name: Theodore Charles Petrie Blackwater
Sex: M
Sexual Orientation: Strait
Bio:
Theodore Charles Blackwater, or as he is sometimes known "Teddy" or "Chuckie", was born in December of 1630 in the Emerald Isles. His father was a Scottish master carpenter with a carpenters guild and his mother was the daughter of an influential local merchant. The home he grew up in was especially noteworthy as it had a flush toilet designed by John Harrington installed in it. As he was growing up his parents would take him to church, his mother would introduce him to music and books, and his father would sometimes make him toys for his birthday, these usually taking different forms from rocking horses to swings to wooden carriages. Sometimes his father would let him watch him work and would give him some pointers on how to work with wood. Following these tips he would learn how to make toys himself and would carve his own chess set with his fathers help by the time he was seven. A few months before turning seven in 1637 his parents sent him to learn at a grammar school that had formerly been a monastery before King Henry VIII. While attending Grammar school Teddy was able to learn storytelling and oratory skills, science and math, history and law, as well as latin and music. His love of music lead him to attempt to learn the church organ which he would come to play during the Sunday meetings. His love of history and his being banned from speaking anything but latin resulted in him reading many of the latin texts that remained at the former monastery, especially those texts that spoke of the roman empire. Math was his weakest subject where he would receive what today would be a c and later b. He was a very successful student and was among the top brass of the students at his boarding school. Despite all that some of his favourite moments were during the 4 weeks each year at Christmas and Easter holidays when he would be permitted to return home and spend time with his parents whom he kept in contact with via letter. Each Christmas his father would make him something for school. In earlier years these were things like new games or even a seesaw but in later years these were chairs and desks to replace the wobbly ones the school had. His parents and community really enjoyed the organ performances he would provide, and his mom would sometimes let him try new instruments such as the harpsichord, violin, and flute. Best of all though was that he and his dad would build toys for the younger children and he would perform puppet shows for them using skills he had learned from school and old celtic folktales.

Chuckie would graduate from his Grammar School in June of 1644 and would be off to Oxford in September of that year to gain an advanced education. Soon he was 14 years old and for the next 4 years his education was history based and was a fairly standard liberal arts education that would cover everything he would need to know. Some of the subjects that he would study were arithmetic, geometry, astronomy, music theory, grammar, and Rhetoric. Once again studying mathematics, this time in the form of arithmetic, would be like pulling teeth. He also was a bigger fan of drawing shapes then measuring them and the math associated with geometry but he pulled through. He liked astronomy upon introduction to it. His astronomy class would spur him to read what little was available about cartography and ocean navigation. He enjoyed musical theory and he was able to practice the violin and the harpsichord a bit more after proving himself on the organ. The easiest classes, and the ones he got the best grades in, were Grammar and Rhetoric. He obtained his bachelors of arts degree in History in 1648. After graduating from Oxford Theodore was encouraged to take part in the Grand tour but postponed to pursue his master of the arts degree. However as revolutionary fervour was stirring in England he decided to pursue it on the mainland and prepared to leave the UK. At the beginning of the summer he purchased a carriage and hired a tutor and began the trip to France. He went from Oxford to Dover, passing through London on the way. He would take a boat to Franc, arrive in Calais and make his way to Paris to pursue his masters. Chuckie stayed in Paris for the next 2 years he would work towards completing his masters of the arts degree. However he didn't just focus on his formal studies while in Pais, he also spent his time learning about the french language, dancing, horseback riding and fencing. In June of 1650 he graduated with a master of the arts in history. With his masters complete, and the year before having heard of King Charles the second execution and the subsequent installation of Cromwell as the tyrant of England, Theodore decided to pursue the Grand Tour as had previously been recommended to him as he was not wanting to return to a puritan run, non-monarchial, England that bans public entertainment such as theatres.

At the start of July he would make his first steps in his journey by aiming to visit the northern cities of mainland Europe. His first stop was a 7 day journey away in the city of Brussels, United Provinces. The 1 day route from Brussels led him on to Antwerp, and then a long 4 day road to Amsterdam to see the dykes and the wealthiest city in the world. The trip to and through the United Provinces would fill the month of July. The next 2 weeks would be spent traveling from Amsterdam to the imperial free city of Lubeck, capital of the Hansa League. During these 2 weeks he would have the chance to see many of the serfs owned by the mainland lords of Europe and how they lived, as well as spend a night in Bremen and Hamburg. A week would thenceforth be spent admiring Lubeck before having a 7 day journey down the river Rhine to Berlin which would conclude the month of August. He would stay in Berlin for a weeks stay. After seeing Berlin he spent 8 days travelling west down the Havel river and south down the river Elbe to the Holy Roman Empire city of Prague, a city he would enjoy for the following 7 days. Moving on from Prague he continued down the river to the Austrian city of Vienna over the proceeding 8 days. The start of October would be spent on the 2 day route to Bratislava, followed by a 7 day stay within its walls. From Bratislava he made his way to Budapest over 5 days where he would stay for a week. Another 10 days travel would bring Theodore to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth city of Krakow to arrive on the 31st of October. He would reside in the city of Krakow for a weeks stay to start November before travelling up river for 8 days to arrive at Warsaw for a further 7 day visit. The next 14 days of November would be spent on route to Minsk. December would begin with a 7 day stay in Minsk.

A gruelling 19 day route from Minsk to Moscow followed the stay in Minsk, concluding on the 28th of December 1650. It would be in Moscow where he would spend the first 6 months of 1651 as an apprentice at a Moscow Funeral home waiting out the winter. At the funeral home he would learn embalming, autopsy, and dealing with the grieving. Having been in Moscow long enough by the end of the following June he continued city hopping. Theodore made a 6 day journey down the unfrozen river to the fortress of Tula where he could make the 2 day journey to the mouth of the Don River. A 9 day boat ride took him down the Don river to the town of Voronezh. Along the way he was able to meet many members of the Don Cossacks that lived near the river. He stayed only 2 days in Voronezh before continuing on to the next gruelling 19 day journey down the Don to town of Rostov-on-don where the river met the Black Sea. The boat trip to Hopa took 2 days and after meeting up with a college from Oxford and another from the University of Paris, a 14 day hunting trip sprang forth, resulting in the sending home of 7 tiger pelts. Following the hunting trip, another 2 day trip was undertaken to Istanbul where he would spend the next seven days exploring the city and its byzantine roots. After seeing Istanbul a boat to the northeastern aegean islands was arranged and he would arrive after 1 day to study its monasteries and explore its natural beauty. He would do this over the coming seven days. The final day of the expedition in the aegean islands would mark the last day of August of 1651.

On the first day of September a trip to Mt Olympus from the Aegean islands was arranged and he would arrive after 1 day to study its ruins and climb Mt Olympus. He would do this over the coming seven days. A trip to Thermopylae was arranged from Mt Olympus and he would arrive after 5 days to study its ruins for the following week. It would take a day and a half journey to reach Delphi and the next week would be spent exploring the ruins at Delphi with especial interest in the old site of the oracle. 4 and a half days travel would take him to Olympia for the next week of exploration. A week staying in olympia would give Theodore the chance to explore the history of the olympic games. 3.5 days travel would take him to Sparta. The week he stays in Sparta would let him explore the history of the city-state, its culture, and its military exploits. It would take a further 6 days to reach Athens where the following week would allow him to study greek mythology and the history of democracy. From Athens he took a day ship to Crete where he would stay for 7 days before joining another 2 day voyage for Jerusalem. This would conclude a 73 day stay in Greece. After landing in the port of Gaza he arrived midday that day in Jerusalem where the next six days would be spent exploring the religious history. Another days boat ride would take him to land in Alexandra where he would remain for seven days. December of 1651 would begin by making the 6 day journey south to Cairo where he would stay for 3 months learning about Egyptian mummification techniques. During his time in Egypt he would try to find the pyramids and the lighthouse of Alexandria, but during his time learning he learned about organ extraction and drying and how to preserve someone so they would last centuries without rotting. One of the more strange things he learned however was how to petrify a corpse, that is to turn it to stone. In his free time he was able to find the lighthouse, and a guide took him to the pyramids, but the last one took some time.

After finishing up with his time in Cairo, which concluded at the end of February of 1652, he returned to Alexandria over 6 days. He would take a days rest in Alexandria once again before making his way through the Egyptian desert on his way to tripoli in order to see north Africa. The journey would take 47 days and in that time he would see a lot of sand and a few villages. He would reside in the city for a week and in that time he would be able to meet a greek born man who had converted to islam named Osman Saqizli. He was the governor of Libya and was curious of Theodores travels and notes. It would take 19 days to reach Tunis, Tunisia where he would again stay for a week. This time he would be trying to find Carthage and Roman ruins and would find some in the suburb of Carthage. Halfway through the week he would travel to the ruins of Byrsa to explore the ancient Phoenician fortress that was located there. He would travel back to Carthage at the end of the week and board a boat to the city of Naples, of the kingdom of Naples. Over the next 3 days he sailed to Naples, where seven days would pass as he would take in the culture of Italy and its arts. After naples he took 6 days to travel to rome where he would stay for seven days going to the museums and ruins dedicated to ancient rome. That would conclude the month of October of 1651. The first 8 days of November would be spent going to Florence and talking with the farming peasants. Upon arriving in Florence he would continue to take in the Italian atmosphere over seven days. After Florence the next settlement to see was 5 days away in Cinque Terra and Theodore Enjoyed the military architecture of the old anti-ottoman forts over seven days. Two days after Theodore would arrive in Genoa and spend seven days exploring Genoa. It would take 4 days before he reached Milan and seven days before he would spend 2 days travelling to Cremona. In Cremona he would meet with Nicolo Amati to order a violin. After Cremona he proceeded to Venice over 6 days. He would explore the city for 7 days. Inspired by his recent apprenticeship, he would take 4 days to travel to Balogna to begin his doctorate of medicine in surgery and pursue his love of science. This would take up 182 days since the end of February of 1652 and Theodore would spend 9 days exploring the city. On September 8th of 1652 he would begin studying his Doctorate in Medicine. After his first year of studying Theodore would return to Cremona to retrieve his commissioned violin and return to Bologna shortly after. Following 4 years of medical lectures from professors such as Niall O'glacain he would graduate with a Doctorate of surgery in April of 1656. That spring he travelled to Naples to act as a plague doctor for the city. A position he held for 2 years before it was no longer necessary and the plague subsided. With the plague subsided he soon heard that Crowell had died, his government overthrown, and both the king and parliament were back. He was overjoyed and set plans to return to the UK. He immediately travelled north and visited Tuscany and finally Florence again. That concluded the grand tour which had lasted nearly 8 years. He made his way back through the swiss alps to France and travelled up to Calais where he took a ship to Aberdeen Scotland and the Isle of Mann, before docking in liverpool. Post-liverpool Chuckie made his way to London.

Understanding the value of understanding medications and how to make them in a low specialization environment, such as what happens in plague cities, and the frequency of plagues in the last century, Chuckie decided to apprentice with the apothecary society in London for the next seven years. He would begin the apprenticeship in September of 1658 and it would last him until April of 1665. It wasn't long before a massive outbreak arose and he found work as a Plague doctor for the City of London. Between 1665 and 1666 100,000 people passed away. Unfortunately despite his best efforts Theodore couldn't save everyone and sometimes all he could do is count the dead, provide a proper burial, and make the last days alive a little more comfortable. So for 2 years he did for London what he did for others. He tried his best to heal others, and provided moral support by gifting toys and puppet shows to the kids, music to the adults, and friendly warning to those that got to the point of making him feel threatened. He got fairly good at providing autopsies however, improving upon techniques he had learned in the Russian Funeral parlour and as a student in Bologna, and during the last few months became better at caring for the sick. As a result fewer people died under his watch, although many still did. After entering a quarantine zone and resupplying for the next day he saw a flash of light and disappeared from view.

TL;DR: Born in December of 1630 in Donegal Ireland to a master carpenter and the daughter of a wealthy local merchant. When he was seven he went to Grammar School (1637). He went to Oxford for a bachelors of art (History) at 14 (1644). He went to the University of Paris for a masters of art (History) at 18 (1648). He went on a Grand tour of Europe and North Africa at 20 (1650). 10 months of the grand tour was spent learning embalming and mummification in Moscow and Cairo. He went to the University of Bologna for a doctorate of medicine (Surgery) at 22 (1652). He went to Naples to assist with the plague as a plague doctor when he was 26 (1656). He started an apprenticeship with the Apothecary guild of London at the age of 28 (1658). He started as plague doctor for the London plague when he was 35 (1665). He was taken by the light September 1st of 1666.

Appearance:
Red hair, green eyes, Caucasian, 5'5", 160 lbs.

Starting Equipment: (What they had on them prior to arriving)
Plague doctors costume
Underlayer

Overlayer

Over the underlayer lies the overlayer. This layer starts with a pair of breeches that are similar to fishermans and covers each leg separately to keep the plague off him. Over the breeches are boots which protect the feet. Over the breeches is also a waxed leather overcoat. Gloves go over the sleeves of the coat to protect the hands from infection. A beak shaped mask covers the face and acts like a gas mask. The mask follows the conventional logic at the time and is filled with spices to make the air smell good. The mask also has red tinted glasses to deter evil from approaching. Over the mask and overcoat is a waxed letter covering to protect the back of the head. The top of the head has a black wide-brimmed hat to indicate he is a doctor. Around the waist is a belt with an attached satchel to hold money and other immediately useful items. The belt has attachments for some tubes and spices as well.

Cane
Sword cane. Cane for uniform to keep people away. Hidden sword for bloodletting.

Carrying case.

The carrying case is used for safely carrying around the other items in Theodore's starting inventory. He has attached 3 belt like straps to it so he can carry it on his back while working. It is 30 inches long, 14 inches wide, and 15 inches tall. When full this case weighs between 40 and 44 pounds.

Journal
Record his past experiences in school, in Europe, and now in the new world.

Notebook
The notebook was used to record the last wishes of those that perished fighting the plague

Medical textbook.
For reminding what the cure or treatment is for certain sicknesses. Correct or not by modern standards.

medical supplies
Theodores supplies as allowed by the his Apothecary designation. These supplies are found within jars or tubes in his travel case and some examples include substances such as the following. Liquid substances such as Vinegar, hip juice, arsenic, Phosphoric acid, and rat poison. Creatures such as worms and leaches which would help with dead flesh and bloodletting respectively. Spices such as tobacco onions and garlic. Some donated organs in embalming fluid for educational purposes. Devices such as a Mortar and Pestle, and a strainer to pass the healing properties of spices to a beverage which can be ingested (Similar to a Tea strainer). And other substances used in 17th century Europe. There is an estimated 14 tubes and 40 mason jars within the case. These medical supplies occupy half of the bottom of the travel case.

Puppets

4 Marionette puppets. Each marionette puppet was about 30 cm (11.811 inches) tall and weighed 250 grams (0.551 Lbs). These puppets were used by Theodore to entertain the plagued of Europe and convey information on future procedures. These occupy the top of the travel case.

Toys - Spinning top

Currently Theodore only has 1 spinning top on him. Historically he would make these and give them to the families of the sick to provide a source of light in the darkness.

Carpentry tools
Tools such as a chisel that Theodore would use for the construction of the spinning wheel and marionette dolls he would entertain people with. These tools would have also been used for the construction of the carrying case. These take up 1/4 of the bottom of the travel case.

Surgeon Tools
These tools would be used for Theodores attempts to aid those that request his help with their serious illnesses. One of the milder uses for these tools is bloodletting. These take up 1/4 of the bottom of the travel case.

Violin and bow
This Violin was constructed in 1656-1658 and was used by Theodore to entertain the plagued of Europe. They occupy the top of the travel case.

Wedding ring
In 1652 Theodores parents arranged his wedding with the daughter of a wealthy banking family from Frankfurt. The wedding was arranged to allow closer social ties between the two families for economic and political purposes and was strongly supported by his maternal grandfather. Theodore would have 4 kids from the marriage and he would raise them while pursuing his doctorate and apprenticeship. When he disappeared his kids were 14,13, and 12. His marriage provided him citizenship in the Holy Roman Empire and the title of Count of the Holy Roman Empire.

Signet Ring
Theodore has a ring on his right hand that he uses to seal letters with wax and sign forms as proof of his identity.

Skills: (Any skills that may be useful)
Carpentry (Toymaking)
This skill started early in life and has found a use throughout his life. He learned from his father, a master carpenter from Scotland. He has built and repaired many things from games to more useful things. He is a member of the carpenters guild by virtue of his dad being a master in the guild.

Speech
Developed while at School, Theodore can tell stories of classic heroes and comedies, and tell a speech in front of an audience on topics of familiarity.

Puppetry
Developed through curiosity and trail and error, Theodore has developed an ability to tell stories to friends as well as entertain people with puppet shows. After many years of practice he began to use his puppet shows to provide educational shows to town peoples, and bring entertainment to his colleagues at University and the victims of the plague.

Hiking
Theodore has done lots of walking in his life. He has lots of stamina for long distance travelling in all manners of environments as displayed by his 2 year grand tour throughout Europe and the middle east where he faced european farmland, Russian winters, and the deserts of Egypt. Much of this tour was undertaken in 8 hour per day trips by foot or carriage. After the tour he remained interested in hiking, especially as it became a main route of socializing with his aristocratic peers on hunting trips.

Fencing
First introduced to fencing at Oxford, he started getting engaged with it while attending the University of Paris (and later while on the Grand tour). This skill has proved useful mainly under 2 circumstances. As a method of self defence in plague zones, and a method of socializing while traveling in Europe.

Reading, Writing
The skill of Theodore in reading and writing was promoted by his parents, but grew out of his attendance of a grammar school and his attendance at both the old university of Oxford and Paris. With most of Europe being illiterate, the ability to read and write has proved to be valuable as means of learning from the past and setting oneself apart from the masses.

Medicine
Theodores skill in medicine wasn't innate, but rather grown over time. It started following a brief apprenticeship at a funeral home in Moscow in the early 1650's and grew while getting his doctorate in medicine and later while apprenticing as an apothecary in London. He is one of the few irishmen of his time to learn the trade of medicine beyond the strictly medical families of Ireland. As a result of these 12 years of studying medicine under various professionals Theodore has become knowledgeable in medical texts, skilled in botany and the converting of raw materials into known medicines and rare substances such as Phosphoric acid, better at tending to sick injured and plagued, and providing autopsies and embalming of the dead. While in Egypt he would learn how to turn dead flesh to stone with mummification techniques that wouldn't be rediscovered until nearly 200 years later.

Law
Theodore learned a little about law during his years of schooling while obtaining his arts degree and masters. This knowledge has come in handy in negotiating plague doctor contracts, and ensuring he was legally allowed to perform the various professional tasks he was trained to do without being dragged off to jail.

History
History was his specialty while pursuing his bachelors and masters degree. He mainly focused on European history s that was what was available. While he had a chance to briefly look at most eras from the Romans through the middle ages, he especially loved the topics of the Roman empire and midieval Feudalism. He spent a few classes researching the Roman military, life, and Governance. This love of history brought him to spend a good deal of time on the Grand tour exploring European museums and other historical sites and outlets.

Dancing
Theodore learned to dance formally while in school in Paris. He learned how to waltz and his doing very well at it allowed him to meet many children of aristocrats who became pen pals for years after.

Horseback riding
While in Paris Theodore learned how to ride and take care a horse. This allowed him to take part in horse riding trips and hunting trips with other students. This skill also came in handy during the grand tour of Europe where tending to horses was necessary on occasion.

Linguistics
Theodore can speak english and latin very well due to speaking english at home and latin at school. While not fluent, he is also conversational in French, Russian, and Italian. He is a novice in arabic and the regional languages of the holy roman empire and relied upon his fluency in latin (the official language) to get him through the Holy Roman Empire. While he might be able to piece together a few words due to french, he doesn't know Spanish or african languages.

Music
He knows how to play the Violin the best due to recent practise. He also has experience playing the Church Organ, Harpsichord, and flute.

Astrology and cartography navigation
Theodore has a limited experience in astronomy due to his ears of schooling, and a limited understanding of cartography and map reading due to reading about it in the library of Oxford.

RP Sample: (If I know you, you can pass on this, if not... or I don't remember you, then no skipping.)

The city was a dark and dismal place, far worse than his native Donegal. The full moon in the sky lit up the path that Theodore walked as he made his way to the quarantine zone. A part of the contract with the city he had made before starting to aid the peasants. The city would cover his living expenses and provide 50 pounds per year, provide him with the tools he needed, allow him to work unheeded, and in exchange he was to assist whomever asked for his help - rich or poor, spend the nights in a quarantine zone, assist with the burials when asked, and not leave the city while the city is under quarantine except when providing a previously required service. That was nearly a year and a half ago that he made that deal and he had saved up 50 pounds for the future, and as fortune would have it the city would be out of quarantine in a few days for today was September 1st 1666. The scent of dried urine and corpses filled the streets, diluted mainly by the soldering spices within his beak. Not everyone was fortunate to have the equipment of a plague doctor, and some people wheezed coupled as Theodore passed them by. An impression of a glazed look of coldness would be how he appeared to others with his glass eye coverings and mask, even if underneath he held out a silent hope for each of the souls he passed, knowing that many over the last year had not survived the plague. As Theodore passed the Apothecary Hall he recalled the seven years he had spent apprenticing there following his becoming a doctor. A cart passed by him calling out for the dead, and people began picking up the corpses and piling them onto the cart. This night he was not asked to assist with the burial so he kept moving towards the quarantine zone where he and the other doctors rested. It was a former merchants row on the edge of the thames. This night it would be difficult to tell the water from the sky in its mirror like surface. As people travelled past him they made a wide girth so as to avoid the bad air that was associated with his waxed cloak and the cane that was associated with handling the sick. The cane was held in his right hand, and as he had been working earlier Theodore carried a mid sized trunk in his left hand. This trunk had his name in bronze plated on its spine, and his tools held within. A mesh held a violin, bow, a toy spinning top, 2 toy chariots, and 4 puppets on one side. On the other he had divided into quarters. In one quarter he had a journal, notebook, medical textbook, quill and sealed inkwell so as to record his observations, the patients deaths or recoveries, and remind himself of treatments should he forget. In the other 3 quarters he kept his surgeons tools, jars of vinegar rat poison arsenic spices and other substances. One jar contained a half pint of blood and another contained an organ as an instructional tool for demonstrating the humour balance. A good thing about being both a licensed physician and an apothecary was that he could proscribe and provide the medications needed in the plague filled city. Not that he liked to do surgery though or provide the hard medication. He found that it often wasn't necessary and often led to more deaths. So he rarely drilled holes in peoples skulls or bladders to fulfill the balance or pass a bladder stone, and instead relied on less powerful medications and followed the doctrine of the 15th century plague doctor Nostradamus and prescribed lots of rest and fluids.

The winding streets of London made it take a little longer than it should have to go from the slums to the Thames, but it seemed that the closer he got to the Thames the more rushed it became. A rather odd occurrence based on how thinned the streets usually became at night. If people didn't need to be out they usually weren't more out of fear of the plague then anything. The fact that people threw their chamberpots on the street at night made the air smell rancid and the conventional belief that bad air caused the plague made sure people remained in their homes. The people crowding around the Thames seemed to be building up a sweat, and a few were carrying boats. It seemed like a mad rush to flee the city, but Theodore knew that there were guards outside the city to stop it and made no effort to break his contract with the city. Walking down the street he came to the river and a few buildings down came to a formerly abandoned shop with an overhang and a sign that read "Smith & Sons Shoemakers and repair". This was his home while the plague was in London. The smiths had escaped to a farm outside the city in 1665 he had been told by the city. Stepping through the front door to the aristocratic dwelling it was clear that while the smiths may have been shoemakers in the past out of necessity, they were likely doing it out of pleasure now. There was a desk at the front with a ledger that hasn't seen another visitor in a year. But each day would get the same name written it twice a day to mark a coming and going. "Just in case the worst should happen" he would tell himself. "It would be recorded when I last returned". Or on good days "Just in case the plague should be over, the smiths would know who took care of their home and store". Behind the desk there was some paper, quills, and ink. A supply from which was drawn for the clerk duties of the plague doctor. In the back of the main floor was a workshop. In the basement there resided a storage space. Upstairs however was the living space. After wiping his boots off, Theodore went upstairs. There was a coat closet near the top of the stairs which contained a few Plague doctor costumes and one green suit that had formerly belonged to the Smiths and looked like it would have belonged to a leprechaun about the same size as himself, a 5 foot 5 inches 160 pound irishman. It started to become more of a roar outside and curios about the hubbub he went to the bedroom. On the side of the wall, there was a large window with gold embroiled curtains and a view of the royal household. There was smoke coming from the distance, and it was quite evident that the city had caught aflame. How, he couldn't tell, perhaps some careless action, but there was no doubt it was going to spread, and now no doubt as to what the commotion outside was all about. A look of surprise was on his face, masked by the steely stare of the mask of the raven. With the buildings as close as they were, and made of wood, he moved fast but carefully to restock his case, change his uniform, and looked once again out the window to see how far the flame had advanced. It was really bright outside, almost as though the son had descended on the earth. It seemed like the only rational option was that the fire was advancing rapidly, and with one hand on his cane and one hand grasping his trunk, the bright light engulfed him and his equipment. The next morning he awoke on a beach in an unknown land.

Did you read the Rules? Yes

Optional Stuff:

Personality: To be determined
Dislikes: The plague, death, witches, the abolition of the Monarchy.

Alignment: Lawful Neutral.
Theme Song: Run Rabbit Run - Flannagen and Allen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmk8dbFv_o
Last edited by Cainesland on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:54 pm

I didn't think there would be too much to do for the 17th century, but it turns out there was quite a bit. The Russian monarchy had just elected the Romanov Dynasty. Russia Poland and Sweden were in a war. England (UK) was in a civil war and killed the king before bringing back his son 9 years later. The Netherlands were in a war with their neighbours. The colonies were being founded and solidified. The whole time there were trade disputes, wars, succession crises, and rebellions aplenty. It turns out it was never a dull moment in the 1600's.
Last edited by Cainesland on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:35 am

Faal Lot Himdah wrote:Exil, a little late for arriving at the crab party as they have all already left that beach

Damn, checking in from Jurmula because there's free WiFi everywhere and got to see, that I managed to mess up the final part.

It would've been a completely fine post had I posted it on schedule. Well nothing I can do about it right now other than to ask for forgiveness.

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 am

Remnants of Exilvania wrote:

Damn, checking in from Jurmula because there's free WiFi everywhere and got to see, that I managed to mess up the final part.

It would've been a completely fine post had I posted it on schedule. Well nothing I can do about it right now other than to ask for forgiveness.
But then, if not crab group, who?

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 am

Charlia wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Damn, checking in from Jurmula because there's free WiFi everywhere and got to see, that I managed to mess up the final part.

But then, if not crab group, who?

Magical time jumping Fata Morgana crab group, then, going for the next thing we can see or hear!

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 am

Charlia wrote:But then, if not crab group, who?

Magical time jumping Fata Morgana crab group, then, going for the next thing we can see or hear!

...Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:18 am

Charlia wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Magical time jumping Fata Morgana crab group, then, going for the next thing we can see or hear!

...Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Just go for the next thing we could possibly get a hold of.

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:27 am

Charlia wrote:...Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Just go for the next thing we could possibly get a hold of.

VAGABONDS.

Remnants of Exilvania
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Remnants of Exilvania » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 am

Charlia wrote:
Remnants of Exilvania wrote:Just go for the next thing we could possibly get a hold of.

VAGABONDS.

Usually when crazy killers meet vagabonds, the vagabonds in question wind up dead. Although I guess there's a huge difference between the hobos who die in movies and the vagabonds you speak of.

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:39 am

Charlia wrote:VAGABONDS.

Usually when crazy killers meet vagabonds, the vagabonds in question wind up dead. Although I guess there's a huge difference between the hobos who die in movies and the vagabonds you speak of.
Naturally.

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:19 am

Here is my app. I think any other changes (unless you have concerns) would probably be fairly minor and subject to diminishing returns. I think the main concern I have is whether or not he should be married and/or have kids. I hope it meets your expectations and you like it. :)

APP:
Character App
Name: Theodore Charles Petrie Blackwater
Sex: M
Sexual Orientation: Strait
Bio:
Theodore Charles Blackwater, or as he is sometimes known "Teddy" or "Chuckie", was born in December of 1630 in the Emerald Isles. His father was a Scottish master carpenter with a carpenters guild and his mother was the daughter of an influential local merchant. The home he grew up in was especially noteworthy as it had a flush toilet designed by John Harrington installed in it. As he was growing up his parents would take him to church, his mother would introduce him to music and books, and his father would sometimes make him toys for his birthday, these usually taking different forms from rocking horses to swings to wooden carriages. Sometimes his father would let him watch him work and would give him some pointers on how to work with wood. Following these tips he would learn how to make toys himself and would carve his own chess set with his fathers help by the time he was seven. A few months before turning seven in 1637 his parents sent him to learn at a grammar school that had formerly been a monastery before King Henry VIII. While attending Grammar school Teddy was able to learn storytelling and oratory skills, science and math, history and law, as well as latin and music. His love of music lead him to attempt to learn the church organ which he would come to play during the Sunday meetings. His love of history and his being banned from speaking anything but latin resulted in him reading many of the latin texts that remained at the former monastery, especially those texts that spoke of the roman empire. Math was his weakest subject where he would receive what today would be a c and later b. He was a very successful student and was among the top brass of the students at his boarding school. Despite all that some of his favourite moments were during the 4 weeks each year at Christmas and Easter holidays when he would be permitted to return home and spend time with his parents whom he kept in contact with via letter. Each Christmas his father would make him something for school. In earlier years these were things like new games or even a seesaw but in later years these were chairs and desks to replace the wobbly ones the school had. His parents and community really enjoyed the organ performances he would provide, and his mom would sometimes let him try new instruments such as the harpsichord, violin, and flute. Best of all though was that he and his dad would build toys for the younger children and he would perform puppet shows for them using skills he had learned from school and old celtic folktales.

Chuckie would graduate from his Grammar School in June of 1644 and would be off to Oxford in September of that year to gain an advanced education. Soon he was 14 years old and for the next 4 years his education was history based and was a fairly standard liberal arts education that would cover everything he would need to know. Some of the subjects that he would study were arithmetic, geometry, astronomy, music theory, grammar, and Rhetoric. Once again studying mathematics, this time in the form of arithmetic, would be like pulling teeth. He also was a bigger fan of drawing shapes then measuring them and the math associated with geometry but he pulled through. He liked astronomy upon introduction to it. His astronomy class would spur him to read what little was available about cartography and ocean navigation. He enjoyed musical theory and he was able to practice the violin and the harpsichord a bit more after proving himself on the organ. The easiest classes, and the ones he got the best grades in, were Grammar and Rhetoric. He obtained his bachelors of arts degree in History in 1648. After graduating from Oxford Theodore was encouraged to take part in the Grand tour but postponed to pursue his master of the arts degree. However as revolutionary fervour was stirring in England he decided to pursue it on the mainland and prepared to leave the UK. At the beginning of the summer he purchased a carriage and hired a tutor and began the trip to France. He went from Oxford to Dover, passing through London on the way. He would take a boat to Franc, arrive in Calais and make his way to Paris to pursue his masters. Chuckie stayed in Paris for the next 2 years he would work towards completing his masters of the arts degree. However he didn't just focus on his formal studies while in Pais, he also spent his time learning about the french language, dancing, horseback riding and fencing. In June of 1650 he graduated with a master of the arts in history. With his masters complete, and the year before having heard of King Charles the second execution and the subsequent installation of Cromwell as the tyrant of England, Theodore decided to pursue the Grand Tour as had previously been recommended to him as he was not wanting to return to a puritan run, non-monarchial, England that bans public entertainment such as theatres.

At the start of July he would make his first steps in his journey by aiming to visit the northern cities of mainland Europe. His first stop was a 7 day journey away in the city of Brussels, United Provinces. The 1 day route from Brussels led him on to Antwerp, and then a long 4 day road to Amsterdam to see the dykes and the wealthiest city in the world. The trip to and through the United Provinces would fill the month of July. The next 2 weeks would be spent traveling from Amsterdam to the imperial free city of Lubeck, capital of the Hansa League. During these 2 weeks he would have the chance to see many of the serfs owned by the mainland lords of Europe and how they lived, as well as spend a night in Bremen and Hamburg. A week would thenceforth be spent admiring Lubeck before having a 7 day journey down the river Rhine to Berlin which would conclude the month of August. He would stay in Berlin for a weeks stay. After seeing Berlin he spent 8 days travelling west down the Havel river and south down the river Elbe to the Holy Roman Empire city of Prague, a city he would enjoy for the following 7 days. Moving on from Prague he continued down the river to the Austrian city of Vienna over the proceeding 8 days. The start of October would be spent on the 2 day route to Bratislava, followed by a 7 day stay within its walls. From Bratislava he made his way to Budapest over 5 days where he would stay for a week. Another 10 days travel would bring Theodore to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth city of Krakow to arrive on the 31st of October. He would reside in the city of Krakow for a weeks stay to start November before travelling up river for 8 days to arrive at Warsaw for a further 7 day visit. The next 14 days of November would be spent on route to Minsk. December would begin with a 7 day stay in Minsk.

A gruelling 19 day route from Minsk to Moscow followed the stay in Minsk, concluding on the 28th of December 1650. It would be in Moscow where he would spend the first 6 months of 1651 as an apprentice at a Moscow Funeral home waiting out the winter. At the funeral home he would learn embalming, autopsy, and dealing with the grieving. Having been in Moscow long enough by the end of the following June he continued city hopping. Theodore made a 6 day journey down the unfrozen river to the fortress of Tula where he could make the 2 day journey to the mouth of the Don River. A 9 day boat ride took him down the Don river to the town of Voronezh. Along the way he was able to meet many members of the Don Cossacks that lived near the river. He stayed only 2 days in Voronezh before continuing on to the next gruelling 19 day journey down the Don to town of Rostov-on-don where the river met the Black Sea. The boat trip to Hopa took 2 days and after meeting up with a college from Oxford and another from the University of Paris, a 14 day hunting trip sprang forth, resulting in the sending home of 7 tiger pelts. Following the hunting trip, another 2 day trip was undertaken to Istanbul where he would spend the next seven days exploring the city and its byzantine roots. After seeing Istanbul a boat to the northeastern aegean islands was arranged and he would arrive after 1 day to study its monasteries and explore its natural beauty. He would do this over the coming seven days. The final day of the expedition in the aegean islands would mark the last day of August of 1651.

On the first day of September a trip to Mt Olympus from the Aegean islands was arranged and he would arrive after 1 day to study its ruins and climb Mt Olympus. He would do this over the coming seven days. A trip to Thermopylae was arranged from Mt Olympus and he would arrive after 5 days to study its ruins for the following week. It would take a day and a half journey to reach Delphi and the next week would be spent exploring the ruins at Delphi with especial interest in the old site of the oracle. 4 and a half days travel would take him to Olympia for the next week of exploration. A week staying in olympia would give Theodore the chance to explore the history of the olympic games. 3.5 days travel would take him to Sparta. The week he stays in Sparta would let him explore the history of the city-state, its culture, and its military exploits. It would take a further 6 days to reach Athens where the following week would allow him to study greek mythology and the history of democracy. From Athens he took a day ship to Crete where he would stay for 7 days before joining another 2 day voyage for Jerusalem. This would conclude a 73 day stay in Greece. After landing in the port of Gaza he arrived midday that day in Jerusalem where the next six days would be spent exploring the religious history. Another days boat ride would take him to land in Alexandra where he would remain for seven days. December of 1651 would begin by making the 6 day journey south to Cairo where he would stay for 3 months learning about Egyptian mummification techniques. During his time in Egypt he would try to find the pyramids and the lighthouse of Alexandria, but during his time learning he learned about organ extraction and drying and how to preserve someone so they would last centuries without rotting. One of the more strange things he learned however was how to petrify a corpse, that is to turn it to stone. In his free time he was able to find the lighthouse, and a guide took him to the pyramids, but the last one took some time.

After finishing up with his time in Cairo, which concluded at the end of February of 1652, he returned to Alexandria over 6 days. He would take a days rest in Alexandria once again before making his way through the Egyptian desert on his way to tripoli in order to see north Africa. The journey would take 47 days and in that time he would see a lot of sand and a few villages. He would reside in the city for a week and in that time he would be able to meet a greek born man who had converted to islam named Osman Saqizli. He was the governor of Libya and was curious of Theodores travels and notes. It would take 19 days to reach Tunis, Tunisia where he would again stay for a week. This time he would be trying to find Carthage and Roman ruins and would find some in the suburb of Carthage. Halfway through the week he would travel to the ruins of Byrsa to explore the ancient Phoenician fortress that was located there. He would travel back to Carthage at the end of the week and board a boat to the city of Naples, of the kingdom of Naples. Over the next 3 days he sailed to Naples, where seven days would pass as he would take in the culture of Italy and its arts. After naples he took 6 days to travel to rome where he would stay for seven days going to the museums and ruins dedicated to ancient rome. That would conclude the month of October of 1651. The first 8 days of November would be spent going to Florence and talking with the farming peasants. Upon arriving in Florence he would continue to take in the Italian atmosphere over seven days. After Florence the next settlement to see was 5 days away in Cinque Terra and Theodore Enjoyed the military architecture of the old anti-ottoman forts over seven days. Two days after Theodore would arrive in Genoa and spend seven days exploring Genoa. It would take 4 days before he reached Milan and seven days before he would spend 2 days travelling to Cremona. In Cremona he would meet with Nicolo Amati to order a violin. After Cremona he proceeded to Venice over 6 days. He would explore the city for 7 days. Inspired by his recent apprenticeship, he would take 4 days to travel to Balogna to begin his doctorate of medicine in surgery and pursue his love of science. This would take up 182 days since the end of February of 1652 and Theodore would spend 9 days exploring the city. On September 8th of 1652 he would begin studying his Doctorate in Medicine. After his first year of studying Theodore would return to Cremona to retrieve his commissioned violin and return to Bologna shortly after. Following 4 years of medical lectures from professors such as Niall O'glacain he would graduate with a Doctorate of surgery in April of 1656. That spring he travelled to Naples to act as a plague doctor for the city. A position he held for 2 years before it was no longer necessary and the plague subsided. With the plague subsided he soon heard that Crowell had died, his government overthrown, and both the king and parliament were back. He was overjoyed and set plans to return to the UK. He immediately travelled north and visited Tuscany and finally Florence again. That concluded the grand tour which had lasted nearly 8 years. He made his way back through the swiss alps to France and travelled up to Calais where he took a ship to Aberdeen Scotland and the Isle of Mann, before docking in liverpool. Post-liverpool Chuckie made his way to London.

Understanding the value of understanding medications and how to make them in a low specialization environment, such as what happens in plague cities, and the frequency of plagues in the last century, Chuckie decided to apprentice with the apothecary society in London for the next seven years. He would begin the apprenticeship in September of 1658 and it would last him until April of 1665. It wasn't long before a massive outbreak arose and he found work as a Plague doctor for the City of London. Between 1665 and 1666 100,000 people passed away. Unfortunately despite his best efforts Theodore couldn't save everyone and sometimes all he could do is count the dead, provide a proper burial, and make the last days alive a little more comfortable. So for 2 years he did for London what he did for others. He tried his best to heal others, and provided moral support by gifting toys and puppet shows to the kids, music to the adults, and friendly warning to those that got to the point of making him feel threatened. He got fairly good at providing autopsies however, improving upon techniques he had learned in the Russian Funeral parlour and as a student in Bologna, and during the last few months became better at caring for the sick. As a result fewer people died under his watch, although many still did. After entering a quarantine zone and resupplying for the next day he saw a flash of light and disappeared from view.

TL;DR: Born in December of 1630 in Donegal Ireland to a master carpenter and the daughter of a wealthy local merchant. When he was seven he went to Grammar School (1637). He went to Oxford for a bachelors of art (History) at 14 (1644). He went to the University of Paris for a masters of art (History) at 18 (1648). He went on a Grand tour of Europe and North Africa at 20 (1650). 10 months of the grand tour was spent learning embalming and mummification in Moscow and Cairo. He went to the University of Bologna for a doctorate of medicine (Surgery) at 22 (1652). He went to Naples to assist with the plague as a plague doctor when he was 26 (1656). He started an apprenticeship with the Apothecary guild of London at the age of 28 (1658). He started as plague doctor for the London plague when he was 35 (1665). He was taken by the light September 1st of 1666.

Appearance:
Red hair, green eyes, Caucasian, 5'5", 136 lbs.

Starting Equipment: (What they had on them prior to arriving)
Plague doctors costume
Underlayer

Overlayer

Over the underlayer lies the overlayer. This layer starts with a pair of breeches that are similar to fishermans and covers each leg separately to keep the plague off him. Over the breeches are boots which protect the feet. Over the breeches is also a waxed leather overcoat. Gloves go over the sleeves of the coat to protect the hands from infection. A beak shaped mask covers the face and acts like a gas mask. The mask follows the conventional logic at the time and is filled with spices to make the air smell good. The mask also has red tinted glasses to deter evil from approaching. Over the mask and overcoat is a waxed leather covering to protect the back of the head. The waxing tends to make it tougher, harder for liquid to stick to, and harder to keep a grip on. The top of the head has a black wide-brimmed hat to indicate he is a doctor. Around the waist is a belt with an attached satchel to hold money and other immediately useful items. The belt has attachments for some tubes and spices as well.

Cane
Sword cane. Cane for uniform to keep people away. Hidden sword for bloodletting.

Carrying case.

The carrying case is used for safely carrying around the other items in Theodore's starting inventory. He has attached 3 belt like straps to it so he can carry it on his back while working. It is 30 inches long, 14 inches wide, and 15 inches tall. When full this case weighs between 40 and 44 pounds.

Journal
Record his past experiences in school, in Europe, and now in the new world.

Notebook
The notebook was used to record the last wishes of those that perished fighting the plague

Medical textbook.
For reminding what the cure or treatment is for certain sicknesses. Correct or not by modern standards.

medical supplies
Theodores supplies as allowed by the his Apothecary designation. These supplies are found within jars or tubes in his travel case and some examples include substances such as the following. Liquid substances such as Vinegar, hip juice, arsenic, Phosphoric acid, and rat poison. Creatures such as worms and leaches which would help with dead flesh and bloodletting respectively. Spices such as tobacco onions and garlic. Some donated organs in embalming fluid for educational purposes. Devices such as a Mortar and Pestle, and a strainer to pass the healing properties of spices to a beverage which can be ingested (Similar to a Tea strainer). And other substances used in 17th century Europe. There is an estimated 14 tubes and 40 mason jars within the case. These medical supplies occupy half of the bottom of the travel case.

Puppets

4 Marionette puppets. Each marionette puppet was about 30 cm (11.811 inches) tall and weighed 250 grams (0.551 Lbs). These puppets were used by Theodore to entertain the plagued of Europe and convey information on future procedures. These occupy the top of the travel case.

Toys - Spinning top

Currently Theodore only has 1 spinning top on him. Historically he would make these and give them to the families of the sick to provide a source of light in the darkness.

Carpentry tools
Tools such as a chisel that Theodore would use for the construction of the spinning wheel and marionette dolls he would entertain people with. These tools would have also been used for the construction of the carrying case. These take up 1/4 of the bottom of the travel case.

Surgeon Tools
These tools would be used for Theodores attempts to aid those that request his help with their serious illnesses. One of the milder uses for these tools is bloodletting. These take up 1/4 of the bottom of the travel case.

Violin and bow
This Violin was constructed in 1656-1658 and was used by Theodore to entertain the plagued of Europe. They occupy the top of the travel case.

Wedding ring
In 1652 Theodores parents arranged his wedding with the daughter of a wealthy banking family from Frankfurt. The wedding was arranged to allow closer social ties between the two families for economic and political purposes and was strongly supported by his maternal grandfather. Theodore would have 4 kids from the marriage and he would raise them while pursuing his doctorate and apprenticeship. When he disappeared his kids were 14,13, and 12. His marriage provided him citizenship in the Holy Roman Empire, the title of Count of the Holy Roman Empire, membership in the banking guild due to his father in law being in it, and the opportunity to work with his father in law in the summers at the Hanse in Frankfurt.

Signet Ring
Theodore has a ring on his right hand that he uses to seal letters with wax and sign forms as proof of his identity.

Pocket watch
A newer pocket watch with the recently invented counter spring measure. It is sometimes off by 10 minutes, but can tell the day and the moon cycle and how long it has been since it was first wound/purchased. It usually needs winding every day to keep functioning.

Skills: (Any skills that may be useful)
Carpentry (Toymaking)
This skill started early in life and has found a use throughout his life. He learned from his father, a master carpenter from Scotland. He has built and repaired many things from games to more useful things. He is a member of the carpenters guild by virtue of his dad being a master in the guild.

Speech
Developed while at School, Theodore can tell stories of classic heroes and comedies, and tell a speech in front of an audience on topics of familiarity.

Puppetry
Developed through curiosity and trail and error, Theodore has developed an ability to tell stories to friends as well as entertain people with puppet shows. After many years of practice he began to use his puppet shows to provide educational shows to town peoples, and bring entertainment to his colleagues at University and the victims of the plague.

Hiking
Theodore has done lots of walking in his life. He has lots of stamina for long distance travelling in all manners of environments as displayed by his 2 year grand tour throughout Europe and the middle east where he faced european farmland, Russian winters, and the deserts of Egypt. Much of this tour was undertaken in 8 hour per day trips by foot or carriage. After the tour he remained interested in hiking, especially as it became a main route of socializing with his aristocratic peers on hunting trips.

Fencing
First introduced to fencing at Oxford, he started getting engaged with it while attending the University of Paris (and later while on the Grand tour). This skill has proved useful mainly under 2 circumstances. As a method of self defence in plague zones, and a method of socializing while traveling in Europe.

Reading, Writing
The skill of Theodore in reading and writing was promoted by his parents, but grew out of his attendance of a grammar school and his attendance at both the old university of Oxford and Paris. With most of Europe being illiterate, the ability to read and write has proved to be valuable as means of learning from the past and setting oneself apart from the masses.

Medicine
Theodores skill in medicine wasn't innate, but rather grown over time. It started following a brief apprenticeship at a funeral home in Moscow in the early 1650's and grew while getting his doctorate in medicine (surgery) and later while apprenticing as an apothecary in London. He is one of the few irishmen of his time to learn the trade of medicine beyond the strictly medical families of Ireland. As a result of these 12 years of studying medicine under various professionals Theodore has become knowledgeable in medical texts, skilled in botany and the converting of raw materials into known medicines and rare substances such as Phosphoric acid, better at tending to sick injured and plagued, and providing autopsies and embalming of the dead. While in Egypt he would learn how to turn dead flesh to stone with mummification techniques that wouldn't be rediscovered until nearly 200 years later.

Law
Theodore learned a little about law during his years of schooling while obtaining his arts degree and masters. This knowledge has come in handy in negotiating plague doctor contracts, and ensuring he was legally allowed to perform the various professional tasks he was trained to do without being dragged off to jail.

History
History was his specialty while pursuing his bachelors and masters degree. He mainly focused on European history s that was what was available. While he had a chance to briefly look at most eras from the Romans through the middle ages, he especially loved the topics of the Roman empire and midieval Feudalism. He spent a few classes researching the Roman military, life, and Governance. This love of history brought him to spend a good deal of time on the Grand tour exploring European museums and other historical sites and outlets.

Dancing
Theodore learned to dance formally while in school in Paris. He learned how to waltz and his doing very well at it allowed him to meet many children of aristocrats who became pen pals for years after.

Horseback riding
While in Paris Theodore learned how to ride and take care a horse. This allowed him to take part in horse riding trips and hunting trips with other students. This skill also came in handy during the grand tour of Europe where tending to horses was necessary on occasion.

Linguistics
Theodore can speak english and latin very well due to speaking english at home and latin at school. While not fluent, he is also conversational in French, Russian, and Italian. He is a novice in arabic and the regional languages of the holy roman empire and relied upon his fluency in latin (the official language) to get him through the Holy Roman Empire. While he might be able to piece together a few words due to french, he doesn't know Spanish or african languages.

Music
He knows how to play the Violin the best due to recent practise. He also has experience playing the Church Organ, Harpsichord, and flute.

Astrology and cartography navigation
Theodore has a limited experience in astronomy due to his ears of schooling, and a limited understanding of cartography and map reading due to reading about it in the library of Oxford.

Hunting
Theodore has learned how to hunt while attending University. This has gone hand in hand with Horseback riding and tracking and often meant using a ranged weapon such as a crossbow and handling a peregrine falcon and hunting dogs. Hunting has allowed him to socialize with many of the upper class students at the university's he has attended.

Finance
Learning arithmetic at University helped Theodore get good at math. But being able to work with his father in law at a Hanse in Frankfurt during the summers while attending med school helped him apply it in a practical sense. As a result Theodore has gotten to be good at managing his finances and was a more or less competent member of his father in laws team while he learned from him.

RP Sample: (If I know you, you can pass on this, if not... or I don't remember you, then no skipping.)

The city was a dark and dismal place, far worse than his native Donegal. The full moon in the sky lit up the path that Theodore walked as he made his way to the quarantine zone. A part of the contract with the city he had made before starting to aid the peasants. The city would cover his living expenses and provide 50 pounds per year, provide him with the tools he needed, allow him to work unheeded, and in exchange he was to assist whomever asked for his help - rich or poor, spend the nights in a quarantine zone, assist with the burials when asked, and not leave the city while the city is under quarantine except when providing a previously required service. That was nearly a year and a half ago that he made that deal and he had saved up 50 pounds for the future, and as fortune would have it the city would be out of quarantine in a few days for today was September 1st 1666. The scent of dried urine and corpses filled the streets, diluted mainly by the soldering spices within his beak. Not everyone was fortunate to have the equipment of a plague doctor, and some people wheezed coupled as Theodore passed them by. An impression of a glazed look of coldness would be how he appeared to others with his glass eye coverings and mask, even if underneath he held out a silent hope for each of the souls he passed, knowing that many over the last year had not survived the plague. As Theodore passed the Apothecary Hall he recalled the seven years he had spent apprenticing there following his becoming a doctor. A cart passed by him calling out for the dead, and people began picking up the corpses and piling them onto the cart. This night he was not asked to assist with the burial so he kept moving towards the quarantine zone where he and the other doctors rested. It was a former merchants row on the edge of the thames. This night it would be difficult to tell the water from the sky in its mirror like surface. As people travelled past him they made a wide girth so as to avoid the bad air that was associated with his waxed cloak and the cane that was associated with handling the sick. The cane was held in his right hand, and as he had been working earlier Theodore carried a mid sized trunk in his left hand. This trunk had his name in bronze plated on its spine, and his tools held within. A mesh held a violin, bow, a toy spinning top, 2 toy chariots, and 4 puppets on one side. On the other he had divided into quarters. In one quarter he had a journal, notebook, medical textbook, quill and sealed inkwell so as to record his observations, the patients deaths or recoveries, and remind himself of treatments should he forget. In the other 3 quarters he kept his surgeons tools, jars of vinegar rat poison arsenic spices and other substances. One jar contained a half pint of blood and another contained an organ as an instructional tool for demonstrating the humour balance. A good thing about being both a licensed physician and an apothecary was that he could proscribe and provide the medications needed in the plague filled city. Not that he liked to do surgery though or provide the hard medication. He found that it often wasn't necessary and often led to more deaths. So he rarely drilled holes in peoples skulls or bladders to fulfill the balance or pass a bladder stone, and instead relied on less powerful medications and followed the doctrine of the 15th century plague doctor Nostradamus and prescribed lots of rest and fluids.

The winding streets of London made it take a little longer than it should have to go from the slums to the Thames, but it seemed that the closer he got to the Thames the more rushed it became. A rather odd occurrence based on how thinned the streets usually became at night. If people didn't need to be out they usually weren't more out of fear of the plague then anything. The fact that people threw their chamberpots on the street at night made the air smell rancid and the conventional belief that bad air caused the plague made sure people remained in their homes. The people crowding around the Thames seemed to be building up a sweat, and a few were carrying boats. It seemed like a mad rush to flee the city, but Theodore knew that there were guards outside the city to stop it and made no effort to break his contract with the city. Walking down the street he came to the river and a few buildings down came to a formerly abandoned shop with an overhang and a sign that read "Smith & Sons Shoemakers and repair". This was his home while the plague was in London. The smiths had escaped to a farm outside the city in 1665 he had been told by the city. Stepping through the front door to the aristocratic dwelling it was clear that while the smiths may have been shoemakers in the past out of necessity, they were likely doing it out of pleasure now. There was a desk at the front with a ledger that hasn't seen another visitor in a year. But each day would get the same name written it twice a day to mark a coming and going. "Just in case the worst should happen" he would tell himself. "It would be recorded when I last returned". Or on good days "Just in case the plague should be over, the smiths would know who took care of their home and store". Behind the desk there was some paper, quills, and ink. A supply from which was drawn for the clerk duties of the plague doctor. In the back of the main floor was a workshop. In the basement there resided a storage space. Upstairs however was the living space. After wiping his boots off, Theodore went upstairs. There was a coat closet near the top of the stairs which contained a few Plague doctor costumes and one green suit that had formerly belonged to the Smiths and looked like it would have belonged to a leprechaun about the same size as himself, a 5 foot 5 inches 136 pound irishman. It started to become more of a roar outside and curios about the hubbub he went to the bedroom. On the side of the wall, there was a large window with gold embroiled curtains and a view of the royal household. There was smoke coming from the distance, and it was quite evident that the city had caught aflame. How, he couldn't tell, perhaps some careless action, but there was no doubt it was going to spread, and now no doubt as to what the commotion outside was all about. A look of surprise was on his face, masked by the steely stare of the mask of the raven. With the buildings as close as they were, and made of wood, he moved fast but carefully to restock his case, change his uniform, and looked once again out the window to see how far the flame had advanced. It was really bright outside, almost as though the son had descended on the earth. It seemed like the only rational option was that the fire was advancing rapidly, and with one hand on his cane and one hand grasping his trunk, the bright light engulfed him and his equipment. The next morning he awoke on a beach in an unknown land.

Did you read the Rules? Yes

Optional Stuff:

Personality: To be determined
Dislikes: The plague, death, witches, the abolition of the Monarchy.

Alignment: Lawful Neutral.
Theme Song: Run Rabbit Run - Flannagen and Allen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmk8dbFv_o
Last edited by Cainesland on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:31 am, edited 9 times in total.

Free Empire of the Low Isles
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 20, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Free Empire of the Low Isles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Sooo... Faal... what's the plan with the 'Vagabond' group? You know, the one with my only character...
"Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space." - Orson Scott Card

"Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken" - Orson Scott Card

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ever ends." - Schmendrick the Magician

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson

"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

An Egalitarian, humanist, and a member of the glorious Kekistani people!

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Free Empire of the Low Isles wrote:Sooo... Faal... what's the plan with the 'Vagabond' group? You know, the one with my only character...
Not being Merlin, I don't know, but I was thinking the same thing--it's possible that they'll end up merging with the group Chrono's with right now. I can picture him doing that--just like 'okay, lives saved, conscience appeased, but there's a group over there with three more girls in it, let's go'.

'Cause, y'know, Anna's 14 and that's just a little over-the-top even for Chrono, and this being, well, Chrono, he of course will require females.
Last edited by Charlia on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Out of curiosity, in this worlds beaches, are there seagulls, mud crabs and algae? Or are those now like pterodactyls and demon crabs and carnivorous water venus flytraps? Or will we just need to find out?
Last edited by Cainesland on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yekrenia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yekrenia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Cainesland wrote:Out of curiosity, in this worlds beaches, are there seagulls, mud crabs and algae? Or are those now like pterodactyls and demon crabs and carnivorous water venus flytraps? Or will we just need to find out?

I'm kind of guessing those are the intended creatures that our characters will encounter. I'm not really sure either, but we might as will sit and wait. And speaking of waiting, I can't wait to have my character accepted; however, if I'm honest, it's not exactly perfect...

:oops:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse