NATION

PASSWORD

Are We Heroes? Ch2: The Dawn of War[IC, Superhuman]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

co-write between Cyberiad, Iota Corps, New Cobastheia & Talc

Postby Talchyon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 pm

USC
Los Angeles, California
The Vanguard Extraction Team, Richard Weinkauf (aka "The Artisan"), and Theo Ashbrooks-Benn

Theo walked out from the subway station, whispering under his breath while walking aimlessly, "Ok, time to go to... Where is his dorm? Let's see here, I'm on campus right now, and his dorm is in a building that I know has a Starbucks on the ground level in that village of dorm halls not on campus, which means it's on the other side of the campus from the station I walked out of, goddamnit." So with that Theo started to trudge off. Trying to keep a low profile he took out his phone and pretended to play with it while he walked to the building. Otherwise, he blended in with all the college students as he was only a year younger than the freshmen.

The extraction team drove through the streets of Los Angeles, tried to remain as inconspicuous as possible. Quill pulled them up and parked across from one of the pedestrian entrances. "Alright Paladin, whats the plan?"

"We need to avoid calling attention to ourselves, with what's going on in Chicago CADMUS is sure to be on high alert. Arsenal and I will remain behind for backup, You three, " He said looking at Richard, Quill, and Nate, "Split up and search the Campus. Look for people wearing suits and earpieces, and for our mark. Nate, do you have any pictures from the file about who we're looking for?"

"I think there was a few in the file." Nate took out his phone and tapped on the screen for a few seconds. "Yeah, here." He let everyone have a look at the screen. "This is our mark, Theo Ashbrooks-Benn."

Richard looked at the picture of the young man on the phone. He looked awfully familiar. It wasn't a former student of his, that much he knew. And it didn't seem like some other non-art student who might have just been passing in the Phoenix high school halls. No, he had seen this. Recently. And then it dawned on him. "This guy! He was at the gas station! Coming out of the men's room when I went in, and who was standing right in front of me in line!" Richard couldn't believe it. The person they were looking for was within two feet of him, and he just didn't know it.

"You have to be joking!" Paladin let out a grim laugh. "That is fate for you. That doesn't' matter now, you three hit the streets, and call us if you need assistance. He could be dangerous, so don't approach or engage him or CAMDUS without backup."

The three nodded and prepared to exit the van when Nate's eyes burst into blue flames, and he fell to the floor clutching his head.

In the vision, Nate was standing in a blue tinted reconstruction of the USC campus, but it was in ruins. Bodies littered the ground, and CADMUS agents rushed past. His vision flickered and he was standing in the epicenter of the destruction. Paladin had his shield raised, fending off energy blasts from a ghostly red assailant. Explosions erupted near a group of CADMUS agents and the vision faded, and Nates vision refocused on the inside of the van.

"Are you ok?" Richard asked Nate who suddenly looked like he had a migraine.

"Yeah. I'm alright." He took a minute and steadied himself. "I have visions; glimpses of the future." He looked at Richard and smiled. "Hence the name, 'Prophet'. We have to hurry, This could go very bad. I saw... The college in ruins, lots of civies dead, and what I guess is the manifestation of Theo's powers. Paladin, the vision seemed to focus on you, so don't provoke him."

"Noted," the man said in a firm voice. It was unwise to ignore Prophet's visions; they weren't always accurate, but it is dangerous to tempt fate. He turned to Richard, "Take this" He dropped a small earpiece into his hand. "Welcome aboard Richard, call us on the earpiece if you need anything, now you three hit the street."

Richard took the earpiece and put it in his ear. With his age, it might pass for a hearing aid. It would work. Plus, he could always pose as a grandfather of a student here, or just an exercising retiree who liked to walk in the evenings. But keeping in contact with the Vanguard officials was needed.

It had been a long day already. Hard to believe that he had started in Phoenix, with just plans to go visit the Phoenix art museum and stew in bitterness at being fired. And now, here he was, trying to track down a mutant he literally bumped into just some hours earlier, in California, who had almost destroyed a whole street block. Richard decided to head off to the student union, wherever that was. Once he got there, he might be able to find the room assignment for this Theodore Ashbrooks-Benn's friend. Better to go where he at least had a clue.

Quill fanned out from the group and started walking towards one of the student common areas. He almost looked like he fit in, he wasn't much older than the college kids. He had wanted to go to college, but his powers got in the way. He caught a glimpse of a suited man to his left. Quill's eyes were hidden behind his sunglasses as he gave the man a once-over. Quill put his hand to his head like he had an itch. "Head's up, CADMUS is on site." Quill altered course and started following the CADMUS agent and his partner who had met up.

Richard heard the warning, and responded, "Ok. I'll keep looking where I'm at. Heading to the student union." It made sense that some CADMUS presence would be on the site of a college. After all, they had to get recruits from somewhere. At least a few were present on each campus at all times simply to recruit students. But Richard doubted that there would be more than a handful. The presence of gun-toting CADMUS agents on campus willing to shoot at mutants was not the kind of thing college deans looked on too fondly. Students getting shot (no matter if they were mutant or not) really hurt the chances of the average high school senior wanting to go study there. Fewer students means less money. So, while there were many people who were afraid of mutants, there were just as many college presidents and deans who were equally wary of any kind of gunfights, even if they did come from authorized government agents. Plus, there were usually some in the social sciences who spoke out in favor of mutants. All in all, Richard liked his chances at a university. It seemed more even.

Passing several class buildings, Richard saw a welcome sight. The Gwynn Wilson Student Union was right in front. The picturesque yellow and red brick arches over the ground floor windows and doors beckoned him to come in. He entered the student union, looked around for an information desk, and wandered over. As he walked, he saw a handful of students - probably upperclassmen by the looks. Having spent the last several decades around high school students, Richard could tell the relative ages of young people. Also, there were some older professionals - staff of some kind, it looked like - and a few tour groups as well. Finding the desk, Richard began to ask for the room of one Arthur Bradshaw, friend of the young man they were looking for. Theo. Getting the information from a bored looking woman with gray streaks in her hair behind the desk, Richard wrote it down, asked for directions, and then politely thanked the middle aged woman.

Nate strolled through the campus, keeping a keen eye out for Theo. He was half-heartedly trying to trigger a vision; he wasn't too keen on going through it again so soon, but he didn't really get a choice. His vision flared electric blue, and he stumbled barely managing to stay on his feet. He snapped his head up and looked out in the crowd. Then he saw him. Nate altered course and tried to catch up, but it wasn't any use. The crowd was too dense. "I see him, he's headed your way, Richard. I'm going to try and void walk to get closer." Nate slipped out of the crowd and into the seclusion of an empty lobby. He made his way to the bathroom where he opened a breach and slipped through. When he exited, he was standing in the middle of a floor of dorm rooms, and two CADMUS agents were staring right at him.

Theo was walking down the pathway, not completely unsure of what dorm Arthur was in, opened up a map on his phone, "Let's see here. Yes, that one looks right, now let's check on the name, I think he's there. If he's not he's definitely nearby." Theo said under his breath. He started to increase his pace, unaware of his surroundings and what the people around him were doing. Nemirovsky and Bohnett Residential College (UVE) was where Theo would be checking first and hopefully last. He still had a bit of a way to walk through, so he keep up his pace and looked around himself every so often, as to try and make sure he wasn't being followed.

Upon hearing that the young man was approaching, Richard decided to sit down and wait. He decided to get out his journal book with his prints in it, so he could blend in the background. Undoing the leather clasp that kept his satchel-bag bound, Richard pulled out his journal. And that's when he noticed the suits. They stood out. First, they were the only ones in suits here. One blue, one black. Most others were wearing t-shirts and jeans or shorts, though occasionally a group of students passed by looking like they had just come from the latest punk rock concert. The second thing about the suits that stood out was their haircut. Conservative, but practically cut the same way. The clinching point, however, was when the one put his hand to his ear and started moving his lips, though he was facing away from his friend. Earpieces. That meant CADMUS. After the earpiece conversation was done, the two men were talking to each other, and observing the crowd. Out of the corner of his eye, Richard could see one glance at him before he turned away. They didn't look armed, but Richard knew better. So while he was here to meet the young man, Theo, before he came to his friend Arthur's dorm room, Richard thought he wouldn't be the only one. And that made things a little more hairy.

Prophet summoned the void suit and prepared to blast the agents when a high pitched whistling could be heard before the agents acted like they were struck by something. They staggered and almost turned all the way around before they dropped to the ground. Both had one of Quill's spines in their back; the tranquilizer effect knocking them out. Nate looked up and Quill was standing the hallway, still with his sunglasses on, holding another one of his spines. "We're supposed to be keeping a low profile, remember? Help me move these guys."

Richard, looking down at his art print-book and leafing through the pages, glanced at the two CADMUS agents he had spotted. They had now been joined by two more suits, with similar haircuts and the same detached, yet observant, focus. Where there were these agents here he could see, there were probably others waiting to shoot or rush in if the situation turned deadly. They were on the lookout for the mutant Richard himself wanted to talk to, a high school aged youth named Theo. And speak of the devil. There he was, walking somewhat briskly and trying to make time. But the agents saw Theo and began to intercept. Richard tried to pay as much attention as he could, while at the same time trying to keep unobserved, seated on the nearby bench. Glancing down at the two prints that he had in the open journal before him, Richard slowly nodded to himself. Yes, either of these would definitely do.

Theo, seeing the suited men coming at him whispered, "Shit." Before b-lining for the dormitory entrance. But, it was too late, Theo wasn't fast enough and the agents were faster than him. One of them grabbed him by the arm and said, "Son, we're going to have to talk to you." Before motioning over to one of his companions who looked around quickly. With one sudden and swift motion, the companion gripped the side of Theo's throat. Theo felt a surge of electricity cover his whole body if it wasn't for his tactile telekinesis he could have died to the current. To an onlooker, it would no doubt be a sight to see, rays of electrical current bouncing on and off of his skin until it all converged back into the point of contact. The current bounced back into the man's hand device that shocked Theo in the first place. It caused the device to blow up. When the smoke cleared the agent didn't have a hand anymore, just blood splatted over a passed out body.

The agent that originally grabbed Theo formed a fist and aimed for Theo's noise. The tactile telekinesis once again saved Theo, the force caused him to bounce back but, because of that, he was now free. The agent on the other hand, well most of the bones in hand now have several fractures and it would be unlikely that the man would ever have full control over his hand again. Theo got into a fighting stance and taunted the agents, "Do you really want to deal with a mutant right now, in a public space, full of youth? How the fuck do you think the media and public would spin that? I can see the headlines now: CADMUS starts a fight in Downtown LA, Lots of People Killed." Theo was ready to fight.

Looking up, Richard was impressed at how the electrical charge didn't consume Theo. He was a little less impressed with the bloodshed. But as the agents had started this, and Theo was just trying to defend himself, Richard decided it couldn't be helped.

Just then, about five more men rushed in where their ally had fallen, and where their other ally was nursing a fractured hand with scowls of pain on his face. Holding handguns with silencers, they aimed at Theo and tried to order him to stand down. Richard began to look down and concentrate on the art print in front of him when he heard the definite sound of a shot. His mind racing, Richard knew he had to do something to help end this. So he put all of his mental energy into focusing on the abstract print before him, a well-known work by the first recognized abstract artist, Wassily Kandinsky, who began in the early 1900's. As Richard concentrated, suddenly the agents who had surrounded Theo with their guns vanished, as a doorway of light began to patch together on one of the campus building walls. It was a gateway into a pocket dimension made up of the abstract art, and the doorway was a window and a one-way trip inside. The agents who had been brought there were unable to escape.

(Composition no. 7 by Wassily Kandinsky)

The six agents, including the man with the injured hand, were surrounded by a disorienting scene where nothing made sense. Colors flooded in, unsettling the eyes even more. Lines were stretched, but did not join where they should. As each second passed, the agents began to slowly lose all connection to reality. Their weapons became a mix of colors and lines. Their bodies were stretched, pulled and twisted, encolored with bright shades and lines that did not connect as they should. Each began to scream in his own distinct cry of alarm as one by one, the agents' minds also began to warp, being bent and stifled into the bizarre confines of the abstract art. A pure psychological horror, each agent began to have hallucinations of things they couldn't explain, sweating, and becoming more aggressive without any way of releasing it. It was as if each had been overdosing on PCP, and unable to control themselves, were throbbing violently as they became more and more diluted into the background of that pocket world. A few moments more to make sure they would not be causing any more violence, and Richard stirred, broke concentration, and the doorway to Kalinsky's Composition no. 7 vanished. The six agents all lay on the ground, incoherently mumbling, their eyes blank, and drool running down their cheeks. A telepath would have a field day trying to explain what each was thinking, as if their minds would be able to think at all after this.

Prophet and Quill watched the event unfold on the ground below. "Impressive." Prophet looked at Quill with a smirk, "Why can't you be that useful?" Before quill could reply, Prophet continued. "I'll head down there and give support, CADMUS will be on their way. You try and find... Arthur! That's the kid's name." Nate resummoned the void armor and took a running start, jumping through the window. His enhanced speed combined with the void energy encasing his body left ghostly echoes in its wake as he slammed into the pavement. "Paladin, Arsenal, We need backup. CADMUS in en route." Because the gunfire was with silencers, it did not make as loud of a roar in the air as it might otherwise. A few students heard and ran, but most were engrossed in what they doing. Which was good. Prophet quickly closed the gap between Richard and himself and fired a void blast at a lone agent. "I'm impressed Mr. Weinkauf, You're going to fit right in." He then turned to an obviously on-edge Theo. He allowed the void suit to dissipate just enough to show his face. "Theo, we're with the Vanguard and we're here to help."

Quill Gave an indignant huff as Prophet launched himself out of the window. He knew he was right though. Quill was about to walk out and keep looking for Theo's friend when an idea struck him. He walked to the door that the CADMUS agents were standing in front of when Prophet burst in. He gave a short knock and a reply came from within. A young man opened the door, "Yes, can I help you?"

"Are you Arthur? Do you know a Theodore Ashebrooks-Benn?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Then your life is at stake, pack your things, I need to get you out of here."

"I'm sorry, What !?"

Quill gave a sigh and was about to open his mouth again when a few agents rounded the corner with weapons drawn. He didn't want to make the kid think he was a freak so he didn't deploy all of his spines. He grew a few on his arms and launched them in rapid succession at the agents. Quill dove through the door as they rattled off a few shots before collapsing.

"See?" Quill asked the wide-eyed young man. "Get packing if you want to get out of here free; Theo is in trouble."

Suddenly seeing a face appear out of some kind of man with a body of energy, not too dissimilar to what he looked like when Mode has taken over, did not help Theo's nerves very much, in fact, he was so shocked in fact that he fell back down onto the ground. "Oh, Christ!" Managed to fall out from his lips as he fell. He began to think, "Vanguard, Vanguard. I know I've heard that name before, I just can't remember what they were. Well, it's pretty damn clear they're mutants..." Theo started to turn his head and saw an older man over near a bench, "Wait, is that the guy from the convenience store?" Theo stopped thinking when he felt a few bullets graze his hair, to which he quickly jumped up and said, "Well, I don't have much of a clue who the hell you guys are but, I'm currently being shot at so I can't really see how joining you guys for the time being would be a bad choice."

Richard looked up with a concerned look in his eyes. The five who had rushed in were now in la-la land, for which he was responsible. But he hadn't expected to kill them or severely injure the agents. To be frank, Richard had had no idea what sending them to a classic abstract painting would do. He thought before that maybe it would just severely disorient them and mess with their communication devices. And instead, it mentally destroyed them. Sighing, he stood up. There was nothing that could be done now. Since Nate the Prophet had appeared and had approached the young man they were looking for, this Theo, and since eye contact had been made, Richard walked over, his hand still carrying the open, leather-bound art print journal. "Hello, young man. Believe me, I'm just as surprised to meet you again, too," Richard said, noticing Theo's shock. "But I don't know how many others are looking for us. We got some of their immediate backup, and their radios wouldn't work in that abstract world, so it's possible that no others are going to be coming right now. Still, I'd rather not stay and find out. Let's go." So leading Theo, Prophet and Richard began walking back to the SUV.
Last edited by Talchyon on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Cerrania
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerrania » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am

Jason Blackwood a.k.a "Skullduggery" and Stephanie Edgemoor a.k.a "Valkyrie"
Outskirts of Dublin

It wasn't often that Skullduggery clued Jason in on his life in Ireland. It had only been rare, fleeting glimpses of a childhood full of difficulty, and an adolescence that wasn't much different. Jason could only imagine how difficult it must have been to possess the powers that Skullduggery did back in the days when religion and religious persecution were still very much alive and well. Jason almost shuddered at the thought.

Now, however, Jason was the closest he had ever been to Skullduggery's dark past. Standing outside of a dilapidated building as rain pattered against his hood, Jason could sense powerful magic emanating from inside. Images of the building when it had seen better days flashed through his mind.

This was my old home away from home. I'd come here to practice my powers. Skullduggery said, I left a collection of books here. Some of them are a bit more...arcane...than others.

"We're here." Jason said, turning to Stephanie.

"How are you sure?" She replied.

"Something about it tickles me in the right way."

"You're so odd."

Hobbling into the building, Jason was bombarded with mental pictures of what Skullduggery did when he was here. Pictures of him summoning fireballs, controlling the wind and water, and building intricate structures from the dirt underneath their feet flooded through his thoughts. Eventually, however, the figurative movie took a different path. Jason watched through Skullduggery's perspective as he read books, practiced more intricate spells, and became the powerful sorcerer he was today. Finally, however, one image settled in Jason's mind. A picture of a dimly room, books stacked to the ceiling.

The basement. Where I read and practiced most often. The stone walls were surprisingly resistant to fireballs. Came Skullduggery's voice.

"We need to find the basement." Jason said, and Stephanie nodded. It wasn't long before they found themselves in what clearly used to be Skullduggery's abode. Rotted paper and books were strewn across the floor, and several of the walls were charred from old wounds. Picking up one of the tattered books, Jason sighed. Their pages were ineligible, and any knowledge they could have possibly gained from reading them was lost in the damage.

Well this simply won't do, Skullduggery said, You're going to have to let me out.

Jason simply grunted in response, letting the black clouds envelope him. Skullduggery emerged, his suit as clean and pressed as ever. It was as if the events of several days ago had never occurred.

"Good to see you." Stephanie said, smiling coyly as Skullduggery looked around.

"Mm. I'm sure a skeleton is quite the refreshing sight." He replied.

"You're an old friend Skullduggery. I'm much more comfortable with you than your body-sharing associate."

"Him and I are much more alike than you give him credit for, even though he still has a lot to learn."

I can hear you. Jason snapped from inside Skullduggery's mind.

"He's but a child compared to us," Stephanie huffed, now watching Skullduggery intently as the skeleton traced an intricate symbol on the floor through the dust.

"Perhaps. But he's ambitious and smart. And, most importantly, he's dangerously powerful. If he weren't, the process that bound us together would have outright killed him. We battled inside of his mind for days, which can equate to months in the real world, and it was one of the few times I've actually felt threatened."

Skullduggery stood, and waited. After a few moments, the symbol he had drawn on the ground pulsed with blue light and a wave of magical energy emanated from it. As the wave traveled around the basement, it transformed anything it touched. The room suddenly appeared as if it was several centuries younger. Books that couldn't be read before appeared brand new. Torches mounted on the wall that had long since burned out sprouted a dull flame.

"This spell won't last long, so find any information you can while we have the time." Skullduggery said, picking up several of the tomes off the floor and flipping through them rapidly. Most were duds. He would find a piece of an incantation here, and half of a spell there, but nothing that could aid them. Stephanie's luck was much of the same, until she spotted a book that was seemingly tucked away in a darker corner of the room. Picking it up, a single envelope fell out. The seal had been broken. Cocking her eyebrow, she retrieved the envelope from the floor and read through its contents.

"What is 'The Institute'"? She asked, turning to Skullduggery. If the skeleton's eyes could widen, they would have.

"It's our winner." He said, briskly walking over to her and taking the letter. He read over it once himself, before looking at Stephanie.

"The Institute was a series of enclaves for magic users to convene in. They often would act as a governing body for the magical world as a whole, specific to whatever region they inhabited. They tried many times to recruit me before I left for America, but I never really took to the whole affair. It was rather organized for my taste at the time."

"What happened to them?"

"There was a massive conflict between some of the more powerful regions, which eventually led to the entire organization dissolving. Most of the former members went their separate ways. Some went on to form little cabals of their own, like the bastards who bound Jason and I together."

"How does this help us at all?"

"The Institute often kept powerful artifacts in their headquarters. When it dissolved, many of the artifacts were left locked away, behind complex magical barriers."

Stephanie threw her hands up in the air, somewhat exasperated that Skullduggery seemed to be talking in circles.

"And?" She hissed.

"And I know exactly how to get past those barriers. Any artifacts in The Institute's headquarters here in Ireland would be invaluable, and I can guarantee we find something to help our friend Jason there." Skullduggery replied, tucking the envelope in one of his pockets. As he did, the symbol on the floor pulsed once, and the spell faded. The basement adopted its decrepit nature once again. It mattered little. They had found what they needed. Skullduggery motioned to Stephanie, and they exited the building.

Walking out the door, Skullduggery let the black clouds wrap around his body, and out hobbled Jason. They were several yards away when he stopped, and turned back towards the house. Clicking his fingers together, Jason let a fireball grow in his hand. With unsteady aim, he threw his arm out, shooting the fireball towards the house. The building was soon covered in flame, and Jason turned to walk away. Stephanie said nothing, but eyed the boy with suspicion.

A kid, maybe. But you're learning. Skullduggery said from inside Jason's mind.

Jason smiled as they walked away from the conflagration. Perhaps it would be a long time before he was as powerful as Skullduggery, but he would make it there eventually.
"Amibition is a dream with a V8 engine."
-Elvis Presley

I really enjoy running.

Arkeyana
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Arkeyana » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Houston

Alex was about to frakking lose it.
Those two had been bickering for hours, while he was trying to watch a Battlestar Galactica rerun. He could catch some of it...

"Lassie, if ye don't shut it I'll clobber ya" said "Drake" as he called him.
Oh yeah, pardner? I'll throw ya half-a-way across Texas". said "Pheonie", also a name Alex gave her.
"If you two don't stop... I'll call the Ghostbusters". Alex said, eyeing the two.
That shut them up. He had managed to trick them into believing the ghostbusters was real, silly, but easy to throw down. He looked around the room. Many different books stacked on shelves, most of them pertaining to mythology. While he loved to read through ancient legends of evil-slaying heroes, he also liked to sit down and watch some good science fiction movies. Hence what he was doing right now.
Last edited by Arkeyana on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Cypher
Chicago, Il
Assumed Alias: Spencer Hartley

Cypher walked slowly through a hall of Chicago's Northwestern Memorial Hospital. To bystanders, he looked unsteady on his feet, and they would be correct. Using his powers before allowing his brain to adapt had nearly caused an aneurysm. He felt like he had the worst hangover in the history of mankind. He decided it would be best if he and Joseph split up and took different routes to Nebraska. He was almost out of the city when he got a frantic call from the Vanguard camp. They were worried about Charles Smithson's lack of contact and with the lockdown they didn't want to risk sending in any more operatives. In his current condition, there was no way Cypher could mount a rescue effort. He needed his powers, but if he tried to use them again he was almost guaranteed to either die or slip into a coma. Cypher knew that he could make a mixture of medicines that could shorten the time he needed to wait. The problem was, the drugs he needed weren't available in pharmacies, only hospitals, and they were conveniently located in the storerooms behind one of the nurse's desk.

Cypher sat down in a waiting room and eyed the door. Two nurses manned the station with several more coming and going along with the occasional doctor. A security guard was posted a little way down the hall. Cypher looked around for a way to cause a distraction, but it was a little bit more difficult without his powers. Pulling a fire alarm would just incite an unnecessary panic. He got up and walked down the hallways just out of sight of the guard and ducked into a room of an unconscious patient. It was a younger man and his face looked familiar... Cypher didn't have time to stand around trying to figure out who the kid was, he leaned down and disconnected his heart monitor and the alarm went off thinking the kid had flatlined. Cypher quickly ducked out the room as the nurses from the station came running over.

Making sure the guard wasn't looking, Cypher picked up a keycard one of the nurses had left and opened the door before tossing the card back to its place. He didn't know how long it would take the nurses to figure out the monitor disconnected, so Cypher quickly grabbed vials of the drugs he needed and stuffed them into his jacket. He opened the door slowly and crept out down the hallway.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 am

Charles Smithson
Chicago
CADMUS cell

Darkness. Silence. Nothing. For the first week or so the oppressively stark sights and sounds were both blinding in their consistency and never-wavering endlessness. Now they had stopped. His ears had adjusted to the only noise he could hear and his eyes had almost lost functionality altogether. It was not so much as they could not see. But the sheer volume of delusional visions clouded his sight with a multitude of nothing. The pinprick of light than shone with an almost blinding light from above were the door was rendered was useless as a portion of the twisted hallucinations obscured it with multicoloured shadow. The rational part of Charles’ brain, probably crying somewhere in his psyche, told him this was impossible. No shadow could possible be anything other than black, and yet the rest of his mind shut that part down and told him it was. Logic was defied but his mind didn’t care, his shattered Brian has lasted far longer than any other of the unlucky mutants who shared his fate. Most only lasted about four days before falling on the floor dead.

Throughout his journalistic career he had seen a great number of people of all creeds and colours, some he remembered for their charm, conviction or caring nature, amongst other things, other had sunk into the pit of that which has been lost. Now all appeared before him once again. Those he did not know had shifting, indescribable forms yet he instinctively knew what it was, as though their names were imprinted into this skull. Those he had somehow recalled still vanished and blurred with the coming of each heartbeat but did so in a more stable way. They spoke to him, in a language simultaneously indecipherable and penetrating with obvious meaning. Logic dictated this was due to his translation somehow understanding the unintelligible tongue, though Charles, in his darkest moments, wondered if it was because they were telepathic and projecting their visions of madness deep into his consciousness. Such was the depth the insanity reached after eight days of sensory deprivation and solitary confinement. His fate was death and with every second it came closer.

Light streamed in through the window and cast a rainbow mark on the side of Luxon’s wardrobe. He awoke naturally, quickly turning off the alarm to prevent the future annoyance he had been cursed with for weeks. His mood instantly lightened upon seeing the multicolour effect that appeared. It was not so much the visual effect, he could create something far more iridescent with a click of his fingers, but the fact it had appeared naturally and yet was so vivid. It was one of those moments Luxon wished could last forever. It did not of course, time progressed at full pace irregardless of his wishes and he became acutely aware of the fact that he had spent the last five minutes in his moderately uncomfortable bed staring at a moderately ugly wardrobe. After a few moments of introspection he leapt out of bed and prepared himself for the day ahead with unusually high invigoration.

The brisk walk to the Illinois CADMUS building seemed to pass quicker than normal but, due to the streets’ monotone surroundings and grey landscape, this was a great improvement. Security was higher than normal because of the recent Chicago incident. Instead of having to present his ID and fingerprint, Luxon had to present his ID, two fingerprints and an alphanumeric code. This allowed him full access to the automatic doors. He waited for a few minutes for them to open, this was of course nothing new as despite the high-tech facility, CADMUS’ automatic doors were some of the slowest in the world. After they resolutely stayed shut for a good five minutes he decided to ask the security guard for an explanation. He walked over to them with a nervous apprehension; the guards had a habit of ordering a blood test on anything that moved. “Excuse me,” Luxon said, interrupting their checking of a rather large gun, “The doors are not opening despite me waiting for around eight minutes, do you have an explanation for this?” There was a brief silence as the bored-looking figure looked up and rolled his eyes in a fashion that suggested the answer was painfully obvious. “Have you not read the memo?” He replied, “All CADMUS operatives must now submit a blood test before entering the building. Please roll up your sleeve.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Cruxa
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cruxa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:27 am

Andrew Reed
Chance
New York City

Reed slumped down upon his couch in his loose sweatpants. The lean, strong man was suffering a migraine.

He shouldn't have used his powers so much, he knew. Torturing that man mentally had really worm him out. The headache wasn't so bad this time, though. Maybe they'd go away soon... But that was unrealistic. Downing about four aspirins, he flipped on the 70-inch TV. It was automatically turned to the lowest volume.

Reed's lifestyle was drastically disrupted by his mutant powers. Noise could trigger a migraine, or maybe an unwanted flash of someone else's thoughts. Even more disturbing, he was starting to get glimpses of the future. Never more than two minutes ahead, but they were there.

The news was already reporting on him. That drug deal had really gone down quickly. Maybe this time Vanguard would notice him.

Until then, he passed out.
[5]4321
Conservative economically, liberal socially
Capitalist
Does not use NS stats!
Cruxa is a Class P14 civilization!
San Marlindo wrote:I didn't understand a word of this OP except maybe this is the sort of thing I dwell on when I'm high.

Charlia wrote:Are you scared?
Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcellent.

Valgora wrote:But they wouldn't need to take it from your hands. They just need to ban the websites.
Unless you are still using magazines.
Plus, the friction would warm up your hands.
Name: Crux >:3
Dislikes: Pop, you
Happiness Level: lowest of the low
Views: Libertarian
Pro gay, capitalism, weed, Mexico, Muslim refugees, choice
Anti terrorist, Russia, Trump, Clinton, religion, communism

IOTA Corp
Envoy

Founded: May 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby IOTA Corp » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Lance Turner, A.K.A. Corpus
Los Angeles, CA

Corpus strolled slowly down a sidewalk in one of the slummier parts of Los Angeles with his hands in his pockets and a pair of dark sunglasses on his face. "He wants an army," Corpus mulled over the idea. He didn't have the first clue about how to find people willing to fight for a cause; much less theirs. There were multiple people reaching out after the incident in Chicago, he just needed to find them. He did have to admit that despite his initial reservations, working with Edgemoor did have its perks. Some of her associates had given him some addresses of the people who tried to contact the trio.

He checked the piece of paper in his hand and walked up a narrow driveway to one of the many identical houses on the street. He had stashed most of his bone gear when he was dropped off; he didn't want to slay his way everywhere he went. He still had a few extra bones under his clothes, and stowed away under his skin, purely for "emergency" situations. He knocked on the door and a blond haired man answered.

"Привет, г-н Карамазов..."

*Hello, Mr. Karamazov

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Annette Barreau
Novus Safehouse, Chicago

One of the guards yawned as the monotonous night dragged on, adding to his fatigue. He made no effort to cover his mouth, and his two comrades shared an amused glance – one going as far as to roll his eyes at the blatant lack of professionalism. A bank of monitors lined the wall before them, offering windows into camera feeds from throughout the small estate just outside of dense Chicago. The property lay comfortably in a lower upper-class neighbourhood where the wealth wouldn’t draw too much attention, nor would the coming-and-goings of several unmarked vehicles throughout the day. However, f someone could peer beyond the well-maintained outer façade, they would quickly realise that the villa was anything but an ostentatious family home.

The three men were dressed in suits, slightly creased from a full day of work but still maintaining a look of acceptable decency even as the hours wore on. Earpieces rested comfortable in one of each man’s ears, while ID cards that identified them as employees for Novus Security Solutions were clipped securely to their belts. The man who had yawned earlier was leaning lazily on an office chair, casually rolling himself forwards and backwards in an effort to ease the boring duty of monitoring the camera feeds. His eyes passed over the screens for the umpteenth time, sighing as he noted no change save for the regular patrols around the perimeter. It wasn’t like he particularly minded being inside the cosy villa rather than out in the night’s chill, but even after his most recent cup of coffee he still felt the tendrils of sleep creeping at the corners of his mind. Ever since the lockdown had been announced, the whole of the company had been pushed into overdrive for some goddamn reason. Not only did that mean they’d been working their asses off, but they were all expected to pull additional shifts while bringing the safehouse up to its highest alert level.

It was nothing but an unwanted pain in his opinion.

The other two men in the camera monitoring station were slightly more attentive than him. One seemed to be a similar age, probably mid-to-late thirties, although his figure looked like it had been more well taken care of over the years. The third man however was much younger, certainly still in his twenties and probably not over twenty-five, although he seemed at ease with his older colleagues. He was watching the feeds a bit more closely, the slightly increased enthusiasm of youth shining through as he sipped gingerly on a can of red bull. His eyes narrowed as he caught a flash of movement out of the corner of his eye.

“Hey, Steve – check out camera 2. It looks like someone is pulling up to the gate.”

“Hmm?” The well-cut man glanced over at the indicated monitor, pressing a few buttons on the console to bring it into a more prominent view on the main screen. He raised a surprised eyebrow as he leaned back into his chair, a thin smile spreading across his features. “Well would you look at that, looks like we’ve got a visitor. Strange time of night for it.”

“Yeah, that’s for sure.” The younger man continued to watch the screen, following the young woman who was calmly walking up to the steel gate that blocked the main driveway into the compound. “Should we do anything about it?”

“Nah.” This time the voice came from the man lounging away from the consoles, his tone betraying his lack of care for the visitor. “It’s probably some solicitor or delivery that got the wrong address. Just ignore her and she’ll go on her way.”

Steve scoffed. “And that would also coincidentally mean that you wouldn’t have to get up to check the gate too, huh?” The other man offered a guilty shrug, eliciting a chuckle in response. “Typical.”

“Hey, answering would just bring unwanted attention to ourselves. I want nothing more than to go out into the cold, unlock the damn thing and then go through the perimeter checklist on my way back. Although maybe we could send Harvey, you know, for the experience.”

“You’re full of shit David.” That made the other two laugh and caused the younger guard to smirk. “I’ve been here for six months and even I know better than to listen to your lazy ass.”

The sound of the door’s buzzer nearly caused the trio to jump as it screeched through the room’s speakers, dragging their attention back to the monitors, and in particular the girl standing patiently at the gate. At first they did nothing as the seconds counted down, but then she pressed the button for a second time. She held it down longer than before, dragging out the irritating buzz as if insisting for attention. When this attempt didn’t succeed she glanced around, almost nervously, as if at a loss as to what to do next.

Sighing, the older man who had been closely watching the screens – Steve – pushed himself to his feet and grabbed his coat. “Well, this isn’t going anywhere fast and I could probably use the chance to spread my legs for a bit. She’s probably just lost and looking for directions. Harvey, you’re coming with me: rules are rules, we walk around in pairs on an amber alert.”

Biting back his displeasure, the younger Harvey nodded firmly and made to join his superior.

David offered them a half-hearted wave, making no effort to even stand from his comfortable position on his chair. “I’ll keep an eye on you two from here then, just give me a yell on the intercom if you need something.”

It didn’t take long for the pair of guards to make their way down to the main gate, a quick few words on the radio letting the patrols know of their movements as a common courtesy. Harvey waited patiently as his superior fiddled with the intercom on the person-sized door built into the wall that surrounded the compound. He felt the night chill beginning to seep through his coat and silently wished that he had brought gloves to help warm his exposed hands, but alas there wasn’t any point dwelling on the minor regret. He glanced around at the surroundings, the front yard of the villa was dimly lit – although that made little difference when the grounds were outfitted with infrared cameras. A paved driveway was bordered by some trees and a neatly trimmed layer of grass. A gravel path allowed for easy, guided passage towards the villa itself that dominated the compound’s grounds.

“Hello, who is this?” Steve pressed down on the intercom as he spoke. His voice lacked its usual gruffness. After all, the camera feeds had indicated that it was just a girl who had rung the buzzer.

“Hi! Sorry, I think you’re expecting me – my name is Annette?” The voice that responded was made slightly electronic by the intercom’s system, but it seemed excited. Harvey couldn’t help but wonder if the girl had started to think that nobody would answer her. However, his brow furrowed in confusion as he tried to make sense of what she was saying.

Similarly perplexed, Steve continued. “Umm, it’s nice to meet you Annette. I’m afraid that we weren’t expecting you at all – you must have the wrong address.” The older guard shared a puzzled glance with Harvey.

“Oh…maybe I am a bit lost. Sorry, I was really sure this time that I had the right place.” She sounded crestfallen, and Steve felt a slight sting in his chest. A few moments of silence passed as the girl seemed to try and figure out what to do next. “Umm, thank you though. Sorry for disturbing you.”

That was it, there was no way he could just let her wander aimlessly. “Wait, maybe we can help point you in the right direction. Give me a sec and I’ll pop over to help you out, Ms Annette, ok?”

“You’d do that? Thank you so much!”

Harvey smiled, noting that there was a bit of goo beneath his superior’s rugged exterior. He always did have a bit of a soft spot, and he’d just had his first kid anyway so was probably feeling a bit paternal – even if it was for some random stray in the middle of the night.

A whining, buzzing sound floated past Harvey’s ear and the young man instinctively slapped at his neck, putting a swift end to the irritating noise. Glancing at his hand, Harvey grimaced at the sight of the pulverised mosquito and wiped the disgusting corpse onto his trousers without a second thought. It wouldn’t be long before they’d sent their visitor away and could get back to the relative comfort of the interior of the building. As if on cue, there was a click as the other guard successfully inputted the last of his code. Glancing up, Harvey’s brow furrowed as his mind struggled to process the strange sight that greeted him. David was stood motionless right in front of the door, his arms held slack. The moonlight was reflecting weirdly from the back of his scalp, but Harvey couldn’t quite put his finger on what was so off-putting about it until he realised that the eerie effect was slowly spreading further down the man’s neck.

The young man’s jaw dropped as he realised that he was watching as a waterfall of blood seemed to cascade from the back of his friend’s head. Five long, needle-like points poked out like spindly blades from fresh wounds in his skull, having pierced cleanly through the bone with ease. For a few moments, Harvey was frozen, unsure of exactly how to react before his training kicked in. Looking over his now-dead colleague’s shoulder, he could see a beaming face staring straight back at him.

“You know what. I think I am in the right place.”
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Co-write between Cyberiad and IOTA

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Shard
Charles Smithson's Cell
Chicago Field office

Shard looked at the sickly man with a furrowed brow. He levitated him up and gripped his face. "Anyone home?" Poor Bastard, he thought to himself. Most of the other prisoners had been transferred to a new state of the art facility, Charles probably got caught up in red tape. "Oh well," He let Charles fall to the ground. "I don't NEED your mind in one piece, but it would help." Shard bent down and placed his palm on Charles' head and stepped into his head. He reeled from the mad fragments swirling in his psyche. Shard steeled himself and dove deeper into his mind searching for the information he wanted to know. It was strange sifting through another's thoughts. It was like he was still fully conscious of standing in the cell, while simultaneously feeling like he was adrift on an ocean while a storm raged about him. His mental form was stepping through Charles memories; he walked through childhood homes, schools, and everywhere in between. The scenes were Charles mental memories of the places they represented. They weren't like the other mind's shard had been in: they were twisted and warped with a strange shifting. The throes of madness held Charles' mind in a vice grip and seemed to actively be fighting Shard's presence.

Cypher
Chicago, Il
Assumed Alias: Spencer Hartley

Cypher looked warily at the cup of liquid in his hand. He knew it was going to suck, but he downed it in a large draught. Cypher twisted his face in disgust and fought to keep the concoction down. His eyes flared amber as his powers were kicked into action. He slid his mask over his head and turned his gaze to CADMUS' Chicago office. Security had been upgraded since his last incursion and the event at the airport. He was going to need backup. He pulled out his cell and called Nate. It rang an unsettling number of times before Nate picked up.

"Hello?"

"Nate, It's Cypher. I need your help. How quickly can you get to Chicago?" As he waited for Nate's response he heard gunfire and the sound of Nate firing a void blast. "Are you Okay?"

"I'm fine, we just ran into some CADMUS goons..." In the background, Paladin could be heard giving a battle cry before the screams of several agents rang out. "Alright. That's the last of them. We extracted two mutants and are en route back to Nebraska. I can get to Chicago in about ten minutes."

"I thought it took you over an hour to get to Nebraska from Chicago?"

"Dimensions are warped in the void, it's weird."

"Can you leave the extraction team and lend me a hand."

"Yeah they'll be fine, I'll be there soon."

Cypher hung up the phone and his powers picked up on an opportunity to enter the building. He smiled under the mask; this was going to be fun. He quickly screwed on a silencer to the end of his pistol and took one of his throwing disks in his right hand. A man in a suit walked inconspicuously down the street; Cypher was standing down an alleyway, hidden from the street. He gave the disk a throw and it curved through the air before hitting the man in the shin. He yelped in pain and stopped. He bent down to pick up the puzzling object. That same instant the world shifted into slow motion for Cypher, and a middle-aged woman driving an SUV came flying down the highway. Cypher recalled the make and model of the car in his mind and located the brake cable. He took aim and fired with the gun in his left hand. The bullet flew towards its mark, altering course as planned when it punctured the lower body. It sailed perfectly through one of the unoccupied bolt holes in the chassis and severed the brake line. The final piece of the reaction fell into place as a young man on a skateboard ran into the man stooped down to recover the disk. The impact caused the man to stumble back into the street, directly in the path of the runaway car. The woman panicked as the man stepped out right in front of her. She jerked the wheel to right and slammed on the brakes, or at least she tried to. Unable to stop, she slammed into the front of the CADMUS building.

The Guards had managed to dive out of the way and were now approaching the car with their weapons drawn. A throng of bystanders rushed in to help the occupants of the crashed car, letting Cypher slip through unnoticed. He stuck close to the wall and snuck past a few more guards solely focused on the vehicle now stationary in the middle of their lobby. Cypher made it to the stairwell and quickly began to descend.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:41 am

Annette Barreau
Novus Safehouse, Chicago

Harvey lay motionless on the ground as he awoke to being greeted by Chicago’s night sky. His vision swam and he felt a pounding headache wailing behind his forehead, the upper branches of the trees that framed his eyesight blurring in-and-out of focus with each forced breath. Scrunching his eyes to shut out the painful ringing in his ears, Harvey tried to wrack his brains to recall where he was and how he got there. What sounds he could make out from his surroundings were muffled, as if there was a fog that barred him from the wider world. Was that gunshots that he could make out? They seemed faint and far off in the distance, and for some reason he struggled to coerce his conscious mind to focus on them. There was some shouting, maybe some screams, but it could have just as easily been the wind whistling through the leaves and they hardly struck him as worth a second thought. After all, his eyelids were so heavy and he felt so overwhelmingly tired.

There was a heavy buzz from somewhere nearby, causing the young man to scowl. It was impossible to enjoy the Chicagoan outdoors without being eaten alive by mosquitoes this time of year. He made a mental note to buy some repellent on his way home, but in the meantime tried to brush away the unwanted and unseen insect. He paused mid-movement however, his eyes narrowing in confusion as the silhouette of his left arm ended in a blunt stump instead of the fingered hand that he had been expecting. Turning his head to glance to his side, Harvey saw his severed hand lying in a pool of blood not three feet from where he lay – his pistol still held firmly in its grip. He managed a few ragged breaths as his sluggish brain tried to process the incoherent information that it was receiving from his eyes.

What is my hand doing over there?

The question ran laps around his skull, a sense of shock and horror building with each beat of his struggling heart. His face began to twist into a look of terrified panic as memories slowly resurfaced, his pained and raspy breathing picking up its pace. Harvey was bombarded with images of David’s lifeless corpse and his desperate attempt to draw his weapon. Panicked thoughts tore through his mind. He had to get out of there, for all he knew it still wasn’t safe. His body refused to respond to his commands, and he felt a sharp pain shoot down his torso whenever he tried to move even slightly. Before Harvey could even try anything else, a heeled shoe stamped down firmly on his neck.

Gasping for air, the pressure on Harvey’s windpipe sent lightning bolts of crippling agony rocketing throughout his whole body. He opened his mouth to scream or cry out for help, but he couldn’t even force a breath against the weight against his throat. His eyes were wide with fear as he looked up into the sweetly smiling face of his assailant, the girl looking down on him as if entirely oblivious to his desperation. He tried to ask her stop, to plead, but his lungs were already empty. Dammit, I can’t breathe! There was a tight burning in his chest, and he could feel his eyes watering.

Calmly, Annette twisted her foot. The swift action caused the dying guard’s neck to snap loudly, immediately silencing his last thoughts. Bodies littered the garden around the villa, most of them already corpses while a few moaned or whimpered in pain or fear. One figure was dangling from a third floor balcony, his hands clawing weakly at the web-like substance that wrapped around his neck like a hangman’s noose. It hadn’t taken her long to eliminate the initial resistance, both surprise and the dark night working in her favour as she had made quick work of the guards that had put up a fight. Annette hummed casually to herself as she walked to the now undefended entrance of the villa, finishing off a few more guards in a similar fashion to the first as she went. The ornate wooden doors were quickly being broken down by a small army of termites, their countless little teeth making short work of the organic material. Before she entered into the structure, Annette smiled into the sky, offering the stars a friendly wave and signalling to the CADMUS drone circling above that the first line of defences had been dealt with.

The accountant’s bodyguard had rushed him into a room deep within the safe house as soon as it became clear that their exit routes had been compromised. He was a slightly overweight man and both the physical exertion and mental stress of someone coming after him and conspired to form the beads of sweat that now dotted his forehead. He winced as he heard the sounds of gunshots and shouts echoing from outside the room and on the floors above, signs of the struggle going on within the villa against whatever force was assaulting them. His bodyguard maintained her professional expression, silently listening to the battle on her earpiece as she kept her rifle aimed squarely at the single door that she’d locked behind them.

Eventually the gunfire died down, a few final sporadic bursts vanishing into a silence that was only broken by the accountant’s only heavy breathing. He glanced over to his bodyguard, the woman standing with a finger pressed against her ear. After a few seconds, she met his gaze with a grim shake of her head. This caused the accountant to gulp fearfully and he tried to cower further away from the door in a far corner of the small room, hiding his relative bulk behind a sturdy wooden desk.

The bodyguard maintained her watch of the door, running through her every reaction in her mind’s eye in preparation for the next crucial few seconds. She could feel her own steady breathing, exacting a control that was only possible thanks to skill and experience. The butt of the rifle was pressed comfortably into her shoulder, the weapon’s weight a welcomed reminder of the lethal power that lay in her hands. She was ready to gun down whatever stepped through that door, and at the very least knew that she would be able to kill the next unfortunate thing that tried to enter the room. Her finger sat ready on the rigger, the slightest additional pressure would herald a hail of bullets.

The woman’s eyes narrowed in confusion as her focus was momentarily broken by a strange feeling along her feet. Glancing down, her jaw dropped at the sight of a layer of countless tiny heads and bodies crawling up her legs. With a surprised shriek, she immediately began shaking herself in an effort to brush away the menacing looking ants. The action seemed only to antagonise them and the accountant could only look on in horror as the bodyguard’s figure became covered by the insects as they repeatedly bit into any exposed piece of skin. It was a surreal sight, the armed bodyguard jumping from foot to foot in a manic dance that seemed more suited for a comedy performance. The accountant shut his eyes, unable to watch or react. Eventually there was a loud thump, followed by silence.

Slowly, cautiously, he opened his eyes and glanced around the shelter of the desk. He felt himself gag as he saw the vacant face of the bodyguard staring back at him, the body covered from head-to-toe in welts and boils from the countless painful bites. He was certain that he was going to be sick, but self-preservation forced his revulsion back into his stomach. Pulling himself to his feet, be made to race for the rifle that lay discarded by the corpse, the weapon promising to offer at least some chance for his own survival. However, before he could reach the gun, a hard kick slammed into his side, sending him flying into an opposing wall with a painful thud. Groaning, the accountant opened his eyes to see that the door had been opened without him noticing and a girl was now looming over him.

“Nah, uh, uh! Now that wouldn’t be very nice, would it Mr. Fowler?” Annette placed one hand on her hips and wagged a finger towards the accountant to accentuate her point. “There’s some people who would really like to talk to you, you know.”

“Wait, please – I’ll cooperate!” The man’s voice was fearful, and he pushed himself as far back as he could into the wall. “I – I’m on your peoples’ side, there’s got to be some kind of mistake. I – I love mutants! In fact I just helped some get out of the city, I mean that was what they asked me to do – I was just doing my job!”

Annette sighed. “Mr. Fowler, you know that the city is meant to be on a lockdown – you’re not supposed to let dangerous mutants get out!” She shook her head in dismay. “It’s illegal, which means that it’s something that’s not allowed, dummy.”

A look of confusion flashed across the accountant’s face as he realised that the young girl wasn’t one of the Vanguard terrorists that he’d heard so much about. Realisation dawned as he figured out that that left only one possible conclusion.

“Please, I was just doing my job – you have to understand. I’ll tell you everything I know to help, but it’s not much. I was only meant to arrange the flights, nothing else. Three tickets under the radar: two for the skeleton and the bone manipulator plus an additional seat for their friend.”
Annette’s smile vanished at the man’s words, her brow furrowing. The accountant stopped talking as soon as he realised that he’d managed to upset his assailant, but it was already too late.

“A skeleton?” The friendly tone from before was gone, and Annette could feel the anger from before once again fuming in her chest. It was Skullduggery, she knew it. After everything he’d already done, all the problems he’d caused for Jacob and her, he was just cutting loose and running away?! Annette was furious. How was she supposed to kill him if he had already left?

Turning to the accountant, Annette realised that she was going to have to fix the mistake she’d made at the airport by letting Skullduggery get away. If she could fix that, then everything could go back to normal. Annette’s eyes bore into the accountant’s skull, causing the man to gulp.

“You’re going to tell me where that plane was headed.” Annette allowed for her stingers to extend out from her fingertips. “Now.”
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Futrellia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Futrellia » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Iron Owl

"Alright, I'm arriving now. Readings indicate eight armed guards posted on the North and south sides, with several All-Terrain Vehicles providing patrol. I'll take out the outside presence, but it'll be up to you and Wraith, Archangel. If shit goes sideways, I'll be there, but hope it won't. Good luck." Ended Iron Owl, getting his tranquilizer rounds ready to fire.

"Ollie, deploy Drones One, two and three. Activate Drones Four and Five as secondary, riot loadout."

"Drones deploying. Tranq Loadout ready to fire. Marking targets and potential entry solutions, forwarding to Archangel, sir." Said Ollie. Underneath the IronJet, three drones detached from the cradle holding areas, small blue LED lights flickered on as the drones corrected their fall and sped towards their designated targets. The Drones would target the ATV riders while hacking into the vehicle systems and shutting them down. The IronJet would target and take down the guard, making it easier for the other two to take down their target.

"I'm detecting a missile lock. Deploying countermeasures." Said Ollie abruptly.

"What?!" Said Owl as the Jet fired off chaff and flare to avoid getting hit by the missile. Owl increased the Jet's speed and cut off from towards the warehouse, the missile unaffected by the dummy heat signatures, following closely behind the Jet.

".50 Caliber gunfire detected from multiple vehicle-equipped Anti-Air defenses. Recommend giving me the controls to avoid human error." Said Ollie calmly, dodging and spinning to minimize taking fire from the heavy rounds, the missile still following closely behind.

"Archangel, Wraith! Continue on with the attack! We can't let Alba get away!" Owl said, handing over the controls to Ollie.

"Drones One and Two are down from the Anti-Air fire, right-side thruster hit, multiple rounds have pierced the wings." Ollie reported as multiple warning boxes popped up, blinking red.

"Deploy all Drones! Switch from Tranq to armor piercing! Take down those fucking trucks!"

"Deploying Drones Four Through Twelve. Drone Three down. Right Side Thruster unstable. Right side-" An explosion rocked the canopy as flames trailed behind coming from the IronJet's right engine." Reported Ollie, working heavily to keep the IronJet together and flying. The Drones deployed and immediately opened fire on the trucks, shooting through the hood and striking the engine, causing it to combust and destroy one of the trucks. It appears that Alba was all too ready for Iron Owl. There had to have been some way they knew about this, or they are just very paranoid.
Last edited by Futrellia on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Heading east
Richard Weinkauf (aka "The Artisan")

Trying to rest in the cramped van was not Richard's cup of tea. But beggars can't be choosers, and Richard was definitely a beggar. Quill, who had already driven bunches today, was still driving, eyes on the road, the night sky and late time making for some uncomfortable riding. Paladin's massive form took up the passenger seat, but he was dozing off. At least it looked like it from Richard's seat. His head was down, resting in his arms. Course, Paladin could be awake and just not look like it. Nate wasn't there, having zapped out to help someone else. Richard wasn't quite clear on that. Theo, the new guy, was wide awake, eyes occasionally darting to the others in the van, but silent. Must be thinking. Richard didn't want to disturb the scene, as there was a certain tenuous kind of peace to it.

But noticing Theo's eyes on him, no doubt replaying in his mind Richard's abstract art scene with the group of CADMUS agents, Richard turned to look at him. Young. About as old as one of his former students. Richard wondered if Theo had taken art in school. The difference in age was irrelative. This was close to what used to be normal for Richard. He barely knew the young man, and now Richard was finding a growing sense of familiarity with him simply due to his age resembling the ages of former students.

Quietly, Richard spoke up, but not so loud as to wake anyone else from slumber. "They came after me, too. Made me think they were FBI and wanted to ask me some questions about some wanted man they were after. But the only wanted man there was me, and the only questions they were going to ask were the kind that would destroy you. Kind of changes your perspective on things, huh? And that's just today. Day one of trying to keep out of sight. Day one of probably a lot of days."

Whether or not the young man, Theo, responded, Richard just wanted to get that out there. Seemed as good a way as any to make a connection. And if he didn't respond, well, Richard could always just say something else...
Last edited by Talchyon on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

IOTA Corp
Envoy

Founded: May 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby IOTA Corp » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Nate Peterson, a.k.a. Prophet
Chicago, Il
Saving Cypher's ass

A breach opened and Nate exited, hovering and glowing blue from the void energy that rippled around him. He heard gunshots and was startled as several rounds slammed into him before falling to the ground. Jerking his head up, he found himself in a hallway of the CADMUS facility next to a pinned down Cypher standing behind a metal door he was using for cover. "Doesn't look like you made it too far."

"Just shut up and shoot!"

Prophet held up his hands, and a ripple passed through the ever-undulating shell of energy as some of it migrated to his palms and coalesced into two orbs. He stretched out his hands, and the projectiles of void energy shot from his palms and slammed into the chest of two of the attackers. Before they hit the ground, he had summoned and fired another volley taking out the remaining guards.

"Looks like I got here just in time."

Arkeyana
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Arkeyana » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:19 am

Archangel's eyes widened as the Iron Jet started to desend, flames trailing. "WRAITH, GO TRY TO BREAK THE FALL!!" she shouted into her comm. "I'M ON IT!" he yelled back, the shadow suddenly growing in size and barreling through the trees towards it. She landed just out of range of the AA guns and fabricated a Gauss cannon. She marched towards the vehicles as they swiveled their weapons towards her and opened fire. The bullets had little effect on her armor as she fired rounds towards the ATVs, each of them exploding as the projectiles hit. She then fired at a wall, blowing apart a section large enough to drive a van through. As she marched in, she summoned another Gauss cannon for extra firepower.

Meanwhile...

Wraith summoned massive amounts of shadows to build nto a massive arm-like formation that grabbed the Iron Jet and set it down in a clearing. He then teleported beside the vehicle and tore of the canopy. "You OK in there?" he asked.

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am

Theodore Ashbrooks-Benn
Heading East

Theo's mind was racing. Only a few hours ago he was fast asleep waiting for school to start and now his entire life was different, the only thing in this van that still linked it to him was Arthur and Juliet, both of whom were fast asleep laying on either side of him. Meanwhile, Theo was fast awake, unable to sleep because of all things that had happened today.

Then the older man spoke up, quietly but, Theo could still hear him. Theo chucked a little bit at the thought of it and he responded, "What they did to me isn't that far off actually. They told me my dad, who is... well, who was the Secretary of State committed treason and they need me and my mom to come with them for safety reasons. Next thing I know, the whole block is destroyed, and now I'm here and I have no idea where either of my parents are.

Even though Theo didn't know the man that much, if at all, he felt a bit closer to him now, knowing that he wasn't the only one in the boat he had found himself in.

Flammaland
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flammaland » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Lillian Forester/The Other
Denver, Colorado

Contrary to expectation, Lillian was not running. She wanted to, every fibre of her being was screaming at her to run, to hide, to get away from the men pursuing her. But a running person attracted more suspicion than a walking one. So there she was, walking when she wanted to be running through the thinning crowds. It was getting late, and the fewer people on the streets the less safe Lillian was.

This is ridiculous. There are only five of them and they aren't wearing armour. They wouldn't stand a chance. You just need to let me in.

Lillian shook her head violently and picked up her pace. As much as she hated the thing that lived inside her head, she knew it was right. Five CADMUS agents, no matter how heavily armed, were almost certainly no match for it. But that would mean giving in. And that was the last thing she wanted to do. Someone bumped into her and she started, but they weren't wearing the uniform she had seen at the facility. A car pulled up next to her and three men got out. They were wearing the uniform. Lillian started to run, pushing her way through the crowd, nearly tripping over something she couldn't see. The men followed, drawing guns from inside pockets of armoured coats.

You can't survive this. Well, maybe you can, but if you do they're going to take you in for experiments to try and find me, and that you won't survive.

"No" Lillian was running out of breath, years of intensive therapy had left little time for cardio, "I can't risk you hurting innocent people."

I promise I'll be good. Sign of good faith, I'll kill the people trying to kill you, then I'll give control of your meat sack back to you.

Lillian was tired. She was scared and, worse than being alone, she was straddled with a monster inside her head. She closed her eyes, and when the Other opened them, they were such a deep purple they were almost black.

Turning, the Other reached out with Lillian's hand and caught one of the approaching agents by the throat. It clenched it's fist and the man's trachea was crushed. The other two stopped in their tracks and aimed their pistols, but the Other moved fast, faster than should have been possible. It brushed past one, fingers seeking exposed flesh. They found their mark and the man dropped to his knees screaming, blood dripping from his nostrils and seeping from his eyes. The third man tried to bring his gun around, but the Other caught his wrist and he too collapsed in agony. Taking the man's gun, the Other looked up to see the remaining two agents running down the street towards it. It grinned a grin that would make the most hardened veteran shiver. It took aim and fired twice, both bullets hitting their targets. Both agents dropped with a bullet lodged in their foreheads.

"Well, that was fun. Now, about letting you back in, see I think that we're still in danger because I don't know if there are any more CADMUS agents around, so until we find a resistance group or whatever, I think I'll keep hold. Just for now. Besides, you don't know how to drive."

Lillian screamed but the Other was used to that. It turned and walked down the road towards the CADMUS agents' car. They had left the key in the ignition, so it wasn't really stealing as far as the Other was concerned. It had heard something about a secret underground group in Nebraska, which was a 4 hour drive away according to the GPS. It would have to ditch the car and find a new one, but that was easy enough. Smiling, the Other turned on the radio and listened to CADMUS chatter as it drove out of Denver.
Last edited by Flammaland on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm on AEST time zone so I probably won't reply to posts or TMs until what most of you consider very late at night.

My Nationstates nation does not reflect my actual views etc.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Overkill
New York City
Manhattan

The Gangsters looked apprehensive as they waited in the alley. They hung on tightly to their guns and kept their eyes peeled. "Boss, you sure this is a good idea?"

"Shut up, We gotta do something; That freak with the suit killed Rizzo, Galucci, and god knows how many more."

"I get that, but... I mean... a demon?"

"You Got a Problem With Demons?."

The men all pointed their weapons at a man with glowing red eyes just as a red light was fading behind him.

"Where the Hell did you come from?"

"Exactly! Hell!" The man said with an amused smile and a deep laugh that caused the red light pouring from the scars on his body glow a little brighter.

The Leader of the men spoke up. "So, you're the guy? You the one they call Overkill."

The newcomer's smile faded and was replaced with a noticeable grimace. "No, I'm the tooth fairie. Of Course I'm Fucking Overkill!" He rubbed his eyes, exposing his arm with was covered in the red energy and shards of black metal. "So! You less-than-reputable businessmen need a hand with a pest?"

"Ye... Yeah. This guy's been showing up and stopping all of our dealings. He's made it damn near impossible to get anything moved in this city."

"And you want him...?"

"Dead."

The man cracked a toothy smile. "I was hoping you'd say that! What does this guy look like and what is he called?"

"People started calling him Chance, he usually kills everyone, but one of the few who managed to escape says he wears black body armor, has guns on his wrists and has a star on his chest."

"Star? What kind of Star?"

"I don't know man, a Star?"

"No idiot! How many points does it have?"

One of the lower ranking members spoke up, "It has eight."

Overkill smiled and nodded. "Alright. I can get your guy, but it'll cost ya."

"How much we tal..." A gunshot shattered the man's speech as he dropped to the ground with a massive hole through his head.

"That much." The Demonic hunter holstered his gun and walked past the stunned gangsters. They nearly fainted when their leader set back up, his wound closed. He wasn't dead, but his soul... was gone.
Last edited by The Cyberiad Council on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 am

Charles Smithson
Chicago cell

"Ȋ͐ͫ̅n̓͊̅tͯ̽̈ͥ̉e͂̽͂ͮr̀͗͌̑ͦ̃͊e͋s͒t̍͑iͤ̉̒̉͗͌ͣn͊g̀ͯ͋͐ͫ͒̋,͗̈́" Charles thought as he felt a new sensation enter what was left of his mind. It reverberated around like an object caught in a hurricane before dropping to the ground. It wa the first fully coherent word that had entered his mind for a very long time. For days, his translation powers had gone into overdrive and translated things that didn't exist, forming an incomprehensible mass. But this was different from his other thoughts, it was unique and certainly not something that seemed as though it should have any place in his psyche. Then it struck him... this was not his thought.

The swirling depths of his mind suddenly became still and settled. Never ending madness ended and the passage of time became one-dimensional again. "Translate," he told his mind and it did not disspaoint. They say everything has a language, now Charles could see what they meant. There appeared to be another person inside him and could understand their thoughts. Back in the days when he was first training for Vanguard, he was forced to undergo psychic training and had an experience different form any other recruit. What was meant to happen was the instructed would enter mind via the gateway between it and reality, and would read a single thought. What happened for him was his mutant ability interpreted the intruder's thoughts and understood them. It had only happened once and only worked very little, but it appeared Charles was so far into insanity he was able to do something no other could do. He could fight back.

Something that all mind-readers had in common, was that they were all at least moderately intelligent. That did not mean that they were all Nobel Prize winners, but that stupid telepaths were all but extinct. This is because to invade someone's mind requires two levels of concentration, one for holding onto their mind and one for connecting to the other. All this was incredibly hard when at least one of the people in question was borderline insane. Every movement was a struggle, but Charles had a major advantage. His power was translating every thought, every fracture of consciousness into its original shape. After much struggling, he finally managed to open his eyes. When he awoke he saw a man staring at him intensely. After a few minutes silence Charles spoke, "Who the f*ck are you?"
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:30 pm

Shard
Charle's Cell
CADMUS: Chicago Branch

"Who the fuck are you?"

Shard felt physically repelled from Smithson's body. He reeled backward and slumped down against a wall of the cell. He was dazed and disoriented; it was one thing to meet resistance when toying with other's minds but was another thing entirely for the subject to gain consciousness and shove the intruder out. Never had Shard been so utterly shut out. He struggled to his feet and faced the prisoner. "Aren't you full of surprises."

He held one hand to his head and thrust the other towards Charles, pinning him against the wall with his powers. "I could do this the old-fashioned way." A knife appeared in Shard's hand with a ripple of energy. Taking a step towards Charles, he froze when alarms went off in the facility. He scowled and touched his earpiece, "What's going on?"

"We have video confirmation; Subject 1 is in the facility. Agent Shard, Report directly to Crawford."

"Looks like it's your lucky day, Chuck." Shard teleported outside the cell and locked the door before teleporting to Crawford's office where he was on the phone. "I need Agent Pixie and any other available enhanced agents, Stat!" He looked up and shard and gave a nod. "Let's go."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Charles Smithson
CADMUS cell

The man, most likely a CADMUS agent though there was no way to be certain, left the room in a hurry. He appeared to be talking into an earpiece made of sleek metal. Charles attempted to translate the hypersonic frequencies they were receiving but he was completely drained of energy after the incident earlier. As far as he knew, what he had just done was impossible. To even slow down a telepathic attack is difficult in the best of cases, to stop one requires a psychic of far greater skill than Charles had ever met. "Well," he said aloud, "Aren't I just full of surprises."

The door to the cell had been left open by the agent and for some reason none of the security cameras were active. Not even the lights were switched on. This contained both good and bad news for Charles. The positive was that the facility had probably been abandoned meaning he should be able to escape fairly easily. On the other hand, there was a chance the agent was still inside and there would be little technology for him to communicate with. Knowing CADMUS, he was probably meant to be transferred but something had gotten in the way - a Vanguard intrusion perhaps? Still, he needed to escape lest his mind fall back into the pit of madness.

Hesitantly, Charles stepped out of the room into a long, dimly lit corridor. The walls were painted in the same drab mono colour as the cell and shared its dull yet intimidating interior. He walked forwards, noticing most of the other cells were empty. The few that weren't contained bodies that had been rendered dead, nearly all be their own hand. After a good half-hour of searching he still hadn't found an exit, "Good god this place is like Ikea," he thought aloud, momentarily forgetting the possible presence of CADMUS. It took another thirty minutes before he finally located a green fire escape. It had words written on it in English, luckily for it would take a good day for him to be able to translate again. Without a single moment of waiting he stepped outside.

In most stories the sun would be beaming down and there would be birds tweeting melodically. Sadly, in this version of events the only thing shining brightly was a gas station logo and the sky was filled with clouds that were emptying the world's oceans on his head. A dead robin was laying by the roadside. Suddenly, Charles remembered he was dressed in a prisoner's uniform which was not in any way waterproof and he was both soaked to the skin and had the appearance of something from the Walking Dead. Ah, he remembered that show, it was shown back in his childhood before being scrapped for lazy plot-writing. Those were the good days, before he became the longest-serving Vanguard administrator and a best-selling author. Hitting back the nostalgia with a large mental hammer, he hailed a taxi to go back to the safe house in Nebraska.
My pronouns are he/him.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Heading East
Richard Weinkauf (aka "The Artisan")

New Cobastheia wrote:Theodore Ashbrooks-Benn
Heading East

Theo's mind was racing. Only a few hours ago he was fast asleep waiting for school to start and now his entire life was different, the only thing in this van that still linked it to him was Arthur and Juliet, both of whom were fast asleep laying on either side of him. Meanwhile, Theo was fast awake, unable to sleep because of all things that had happened today.

Then the older man spoke up, quietly but, Theo could still hear him. Theo chucked a little bit at the thought of it and he responded, "What they did to me isn't that far off actually. They told me my dad, who is... well, who was the Secretary of State committed treason and they need me and my mom to come with them for safety reasons. Next thing I know, the whole block is destroyed, and now I'm here and I have no idea where either of my parents are.

Even though Theo didn't know the man that much, if at all, he felt a bit closer to him now, knowing that he wasn't the only one in the boat he had found himself in.

Richard was very surprised to hear of Theo's family connections, and just how prominent of a person Theo's father was. Secretary of State?! His face reacted to that, but given the darkness of the car, it was unlikely that he was seen. Especially not by Theo one row back.

But more than that, Theo was really alone. And despite what anyone says, Richard had been around the block several times as a high school teacher to know that even though youths were embarrassed or angry at the shortcomings they saw in their parents, take them away and that makes a very vulnerable and scared young person. Richard had helped mentor some of them from time to time in situations that weren't exactly the same, but were close enough to count. All of his art students were like they were his kids. Or rather, given his stony rift with his son Paul, like he imagined his kids should have been. And Theo was around that age, too. Now it was time to put some of his mentoring experience to good use.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know that about your parents. Life is chaotic for you right now. But I'll tell you what I used to tell my students, whenever any one of them was having problems at home. And that is, any time you want to talk, I'll always have an open ear. It could be in the early hours in the morning, and I wouldn't care. I will always be there to listen if you need to bounce any thoughts off of.

"As I see it, you and I are the new ones here. We're learning the ropes together. That means we need to look out for each other. If you will help look after me, I will return the favor and do what I can to help you too." Again, Richard spoke quietly, not wanting to disturb the others who were asleep.

Cruxa
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cruxa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 am

Chance
New York City

The freak in question was on the roof of a three story building, directly above the ongoing meeting. A burst of precognition had suddenly struck him twenty minutes ago- one where he was dying at the hands of a mysterious man who he didn't see. On his patrol, he'd noticed this little gaggle of gangsters- GangCon he named it- and waited to see what they were up to. However, being three stories up, he couldn't hear and had no idea.

They were gathered around this red glowy guy who was yelling at them. Chance had never encountered him before, nor had he heard of him. New gang leader? Some kind of power-hungry mutant? Didn't matter. The fucker killed someone, and that meant he was gonna die no matter what. But first, Chance would toy with the guy- mess with his head, get inside him, truly break him. He'd stalk him, find him, rough him up, "play" with his neurons, then put him out of his misery. But as of right now, there were twenty-five gangsters surrounding the man, and all were armed. Chance had a plan.

Over the years, Chance's powers had never stopped developing. His recent bursts of precognition were excruciatingly painful, and too impractical to trigger intentionally. But he had developed this nifty little telekinetic ability that, though minor, didn't tire him out too badly. He planned to use it. Reaching into the recesses of his mind, he pulled on his abilities, causing all the gangsters around the glowing man down there to open fire on one another. Screaming as they did, they complied, forced by the strength of Chance's mind to obey.

All dead, they fell in a peculiar manner.

Their bodies formed an eight-pointed star.

Chance fled.
[5]4321
Conservative economically, liberal socially
Capitalist
Does not use NS stats!
Cruxa is a Class P14 civilization!
San Marlindo wrote:I didn't understand a word of this OP except maybe this is the sort of thing I dwell on when I'm high.

Charlia wrote:Are you scared?
Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcellent.

Valgora wrote:But they wouldn't need to take it from your hands. They just need to ban the websites.
Unless you are still using magazines.
Plus, the friction would warm up your hands.
Name: Crux >:3
Dislikes: Pop, you
Happiness Level: lowest of the low
Views: Libertarian
Pro gay, capitalism, weed, Mexico, Muslim refugees, choice
Anti terrorist, Russia, Trump, Clinton, religion, communism

Futrellia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Futrellia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Iron Owl

"Detecting another missile launch, recommend immediate-" Ollie was interrupted by Owl.

"I know what I need to do!" Owl yelled out, jerking the stick to the side and hitting a sharp turn, trying to avoid getting hit by the missile. The missile stayed hard onto the IronJet's unique signature, gaining inch after inch, closer and closer.

"Deploying countermeasures!" Said Owl as he smashed down onto one of the many buttons on the control panel. Five flares jettisoned out, attempting to gain the missile's ignition sequence. The flares were successful, causing the missile to ignite, sending a heavy force out, impacting the IronJet's remaining engines, forcing it down.

"Recommend ejection sequence."

"No! I can steer her down!"

"Engines offline, right-side wing totaled, critical systems severely damaged, recommend ejection."

"No, I'm regaining control!" A hard smack was felt on the bottom of the canopy, slowing it's descent and gently lowering the flaming vehicle onto the ground. A moment passed and the Canopy's hatch was ripped open, exposing the cold night air and Wraith standing over him.

"You OK in there?" He asked, seeming somewhat entertained at the idea that his plan had gone sideways. Before he could answer, Ollie ejected him from the vehicle just as the control panel exploded from the overloaded systems, which would have either crippled his suit or burned through it and do permanent nerve damage. Owl landed a few feet away and immediately stood up, dusting off his suit.

"I'm fine. Go help Archangel, I'll take care of the trucks and missiles." Said Owl as he deployed his boot-boosters, using his deployable flaps to steer.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Vanguard Extraction Team
Nearing Chadron

Arsenal and Quill had alternated driving throughout the night so they could reach Nebraska as soon as possible. It was Arsenal behind the wheel now, as the eastern edge of the sky just started to brighten up as dawn approached. Arsenal glanced in the rearview and saw all the passengers peacefully asleep. He reached over and hit Quill, jarring him awake as he extended some spines defensively. "Calm down scaredy cat, it's just me."

Quill sighed and rubbed his eyes. "You're a real jerk sometimes, you know that tin man?" Arsenal chuckled for a bit for coming back to the reason he woke Quill up in the first place, "We're getting close to the camp, you think we oughta wake them up before we get too close?

"Yeah, probably." Quill turned around and placed his fingers in his mouth, giving a shrill whistle that woke up the vehicles groggy occupants. The teenagers gave Quill a death stare, to which he replied, "Rise and shine sleeping beauties we're getting close to home! Alright so. Have any of you ever wondered how CADMUS has never been able to find us with telepaths? Well, Two of our founders, Homer and Ebisu, are telepaths. They managed to keep up some kind of psychic field around our camp to prevent any kind of mental incursion. But, it has some adverse side effects if someone who they don't know tries to absent-mindedly stroll in. Symptoms include dizziness, nausea, migraines, and occasionally mild amnesia, so What I need for you to do is think about buttercups."

Overkill
New York

Overkill stopped walking when he heard the gunfire. He didn't turn around, not even when a stray bullet tore through his chest until the firing finally stopped. He looked down and sighed at the bullet hole. He snapped his fingers and the red glowing scars slithered their way to the hole, and it slowly closed. Overkill turned around and observed the carnage. He chuckled when he saw the pattern the bodies were in. "Well well well, the kid has some style. Almost hate to kill him. Almost." Overkill walked over and moved one of the bodies, breaking the shape of the star. "Eight-pointed stars, shoulda picked a different symbol kid, One I can't track." He lifted his head up and inhaled through his nose: "Bingo."

The elevator dinged and Overkill stepped out into a posh foyer. He let out a low whistle, "Pest is snug in his rug." He was wearing a uniform he stole off of a late pizza delivery boy. He walked up to the door of a penthouse apartment and knocked. "Delivery!"

Flammaland
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flammaland » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:15 am

The Other/Lillian Forester
Nearing Chadron

The Other had never controlled Lillian's body for this long before. It was used to brief periods of control when she was weak, but it had been at least four hours. Lillian was less talkative than the Other was when she was in control. It wondered why she wasn't talking. It scratched it's cheek, taking it's hand off the wheel of it's newly acquired car. The owner was dead, their corpse decomposing in the back seat of the CADMUS car, which the Other had taken pains to clean of Lillian's fingerprints. It had found a few more pistols and a rifle in the boot, and they were currently in a duffle bag in the footwell of the passenger side. It hoped it would have to use them. Without warning, there was a sharp stabbing pain in the back of the Other's head. It clenched it's fists on the wheel, then relaxed them again, leaving hand-shaped indentations. The Other had been around for a long time. Long enough to recognise a protective psychic field when it encountered one. This one had been made by someone with a delicate hand and a lot of power. The Other guessed that it was getting close to the 'resistance' it had heard whispers of. There was another stab of white-hot pain and the Other's vision blurred. It gritted it's teeth and the pain subsided. Telepaths and their powers reacted poorly to the Other's presence, but it's will was iron-clad. Strong enough to resist this at any rate. It pulled over and got out of the car, taking the bag of guns with it. It saw a van approaching and tried to wave it over.
Please don't hurt them. You've done enough harm today.
"I'll hurt them if they're threatening us. Don't worry, I'm as good as my word, you can have the body back when we're out of danger. They might be dangerous. So I'm keeping the body for now."
I'm on AEST time zone so I probably won't reply to posts or TMs until what most of you consider very late at night.

My Nationstates nation does not reflect my actual views etc.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse