NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:48 pm

Kelmet wrote:So whats everybody's plans for the coming decade?

Continue what my guy did across the previous decade, but more.

Aaaaand I've hit that problem again. I open up the tab, ready to post, begin writing stuff, and writer's block hits me. Every time. Once I get going I think I'll be fine, but the getting going is the hard part.
It appears I'm an INTP-T. You're not gonna get much more about me.
Wenglesy wrote:Might as well submit now to the obviously superior forces of Legyon fun Genital.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Posted figures g would help me correct it if theirs issues.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:48 pm

The Olog-Hai wrote:
Kelmet wrote:So whats everybody's plans for the coming decade?

Continue what my guy did across the previous decade, but more.

Aaaaand I've hit that problem again. I open up the tab, ready to post, begin writing stuff, and writer's block hits me. Every time. Once I get going I think I'll be fine, but the getting going is the hard part.

Safari crashes for me many times so I know how you feeling :(
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:03 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Posted figures g would help me correct it if theirs issues.

That's a cool post, good show.

There were only a few things I noticed, two technical, one political.

First, the copper spear- soldiers formally enlisted in the Imperial Army would have access to even off-regulation steel weapons, especially outriders due to their more flexible mission parameters. It's cheaper to produce than bronze and copper by far, and easier to manufacture. Ted wielding a copper spear would be like a man in a modern airborne battalion carrying a flintlock musket.

Second, the crossbows- Outriders carry repeating crossbows, specifically designed for weight of fire. Another bolt can be notched and loosed by simply working a lever arm, usually attached to the crossbow stock. As such, Ted's unit might strategically withdraw from the raiders to gain range, but they won't have to stagger fire to cover each other; each man can give a good weight of fire by himself.

Lastly (and you won't actually have to change anything in your post over this), the Imperium only very rarely displaces natives when expanding. The simple fact is that Europe in this time period just doesn't have much of an indigenous population; the land that is available can usually support both the indigenous population and any settlers with ease, so there aren't forced relocations. That said, it's cool to have in your post, because I'm sure there are some tribes that left voluntarily when foreigners started entering their lands, or militarily resisted and then fled after being defeated.

Aside from those notes, a good intro.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:06 pm

The Royal Empire of the Lemons wrote:Full Name: Matthew E. McCoy (Pseudonym)
Appearance: (Description or Picture)
Height and Weight: 181.5cm - 64.3kg
Religion: Atheist
Field of Expertise: (Optional- Please only fill out if you, IRL, are extremely knowledgeable about the area. Working with limitations and strengths of you in reality is part of the purpose of this RP. Most writers will leave this blank.)
Skills and Strengths: Smart.
Weaknesses: Physically weak.
Where in the world are you landing?: Southern Kamchatka
RP Sample: "He shivered as the cold winter wind whistled across his face, the sheltered caves tormenting him as he trudged by. He had no time to rest; he had to get there by sunrise."

Question: Can we be killed by things like illnesses, diseases, and hypothermia?

You don't have to worry about the timeskip- you'll land whenever you first post in the IC.

Aside from that, this looks good. As for illness/etc. yes, Authors are still human, though very illness resistant. Your character likely won't snuff it of measles, but I wouldn't send him over to treat plague victims with no protection.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:11 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Posted figures g would help me correct it if theirs issues.

First, the copper spear- soldiers formally enlisted in the Imperial Army would have access to even off-regulation steel weapons, especially outriders due to their more flexible mission parameters. It's cheaper to produce than bronze and copper by far, and easier to manufacture. Ted wielding a copper spear would be like a man in a modern airborne battalion carrying a flintlock musket.

Second, the crossbows- Outriders carry repeating crossbows, specifically designed for weight of fire. Another bolt can be notched and loosed by simply working a lever arm, usually attached to the crossbow stock. As such, Ted's unit might strategically withdraw from the raiders to gain range, but they won't have to stagger fire to cover each other; each man can give a good weight of fire by himself.

Lastly (and you won't actually have to change anything in your post over this), the Imperium only very rarely displaces natives when expanding. The simple fact is that Europe in this time period just doesn't have much of an indigenous population; the land that is available can usually support both the indigenous population and any settlers with ease, so there aren't forced relocations. That said, it's cool to have in your post, because I'm sure there are some tribes that left voluntarily when foreigners started entering their lands, or militarily resisted and then fled after being defeated.

Ah, ok thx. Last one I knew was a stretch, but I figured with the continual expansion, you'd start to have retalliation from those who meet others who were chased out, and I also figured some might also decide to jump the gun and attack to show the "emperor a lesson".

The repeating crossbows was a mistake. I had trouble remembering, and the spear is not just a weapon it retains emotional value. I didn't think there was melee weapons for outriders, but I figured Ted would want to keep his copper spear regardless.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:26 pm

I think one of my problems with writing posts for this is that I like to go into my guy's thoughts, too. I think it's similar to my enjoyment of books that look into the human psyche, even from a fictional point of view.
Wenglesy wrote:Might as well submit now to the obviously superior forces of Legyon fun Genital.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:01 pm

The Olog-Hai wrote:I think one of my problems with writing posts for this is that I like to go into my guy's thoughts, too. I think it's similar to my enjoyment of books that look into the human psyche, even from a fictional point of view.

I don't think that's a problem- most of my posts involve internal thoughts.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:06 pm

The Olog-Hai wrote:I think one of my problems with writing posts for this is that I like to go into my guy's thoughts, too. I think it's similar to my enjoyment of books that look into the human psyche, even from a fictional point of view.

Like, so far most of my post is ending up as internal thoughts.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Revlona wrote:
How does your Author rule the civilization on a day to day basis through so many different language barriers and tribal differences? How are you arming the soldiers? Is your Author working to educate the population? How are food supplies going in a tribal subsistence economy now suddenly ruled by a single man and forced in to a more controllable area? Is there resistance to your conquests internally? How do people feel about sending their husbands to war? etc.

Plenty of details that could be fleshed out to turn your civilization in to more than a vehicle of conquest. Otherwise she'll fall apart at the seams once one man is not enough to coerce obedience.

Done

That was a good post! Now it brings up plenty of other details to flesh out: what the schools teach, what they are built of, how they got teachers, how you support the food cost of children in school, etc.

The Olog-Hai wrote:

Like, so far most of my post is ending up as internal thoughts.

You should have seen my first post. It was basically a personal soliloquy.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Revlona wrote:Done

That was a good post! Now it brings up plenty of other details to flesh out: what the schools teach, what they are built of, how they got teachers, how you support the food cost of children in school, etc.

The Olog-Hai wrote:Like, so far most of my post is ending up as internal thoughts.

I also feel like it needs to be a big post, because it needs to cover about 12 years of history.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:58 pm

The Olog-Hai wrote:

I also feel like it needs to be a big post, because it needs to cover about 12 years of history.

Psh, that doesn't all have to be in the first post. Just fill us in bit by bit as you go.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm

The Olog-Hai wrote:I also feel like it needs to be a big post, because it needs to cover about 12 years of history.

Psh, that doesn't all have to be in the first post. Just fill us in bit by bit as you go.

Fair enough. I think I'll get the basics from the beginning and what he has now, and I'll make up the middle stuff as necessary.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:04 pm

Hey G, updated it, but I'm still unsure bout the copper spear and the political one since reasons before edit... so I left them out for now.
Holy Tedalonia wrote:

Ah, ok thx. Last one I knew was a stretch, but I figured with the continual expansion, you'd start to have retalliation from those who meet others who were chased out, and I also figured some might also decide to jump the gun and attack to show the "emperor a lesson".

The repeating crossbows was a mistake. I had trouble remembering, and the spear is not just a weapon it retains emotional value. I didn't think there was melee weapons for outriders, but I figured Ted would want to keep his copper spear regardless.

Also I'm curious, has your heir ever tried to kill you? I assume that being immortal and all that he realizes he'll never claim the throne, so he'll try to kill you.
Last edited by Holy Tedalonia on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:10 pm

Ulls wrote:No but while Jeb is pragmatic, he wants to try and have some normal morality to try and keep him from being like Viktor but not be a pacifist.

Woah woah, the Hegemon is totally a moralist. Haven't you seen all the heretic burnings and beheadings?

Also, Kelmet, question: is Connor the king right now, or the prince? And I'm assuming he is using a fake name to conceal his identity, so you might want to establish that before Viktor baptizes Connor Monroe, "definitely not the same Connor Monroe as has been king of Norsca".

I would still be "undercover" as Magus Monroe but you would know since we have met before so you could whisper my real name during the ceremony or however that would work.
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm almost there! I'm up to 4 paragraphs, gonna break 5 soon. Dunno how many it will actually come out to be, though.

Krugmar
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krugmar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:31 pm

I assume this is still open? If not then disregard.

Full Name: Mark Tom Joshua Sparks
Appearance: Dark blond, White British, blue eyes, small figure.
Height and Weight: 5'9" 151lb
Religion: Anglican (Low Church)
Field of Expertise: N/A
Skills and Strengths: Interests in reading, history, politics, medieval military matters, ethnology and theology. Adept skier, rock climber.
Weaknesses: Due to size and lack of training, physically weaker than those larger or well-trained. General lack of vocational training or skills.
Where in the world are you landing?: Cilicia
RP Sample: The Curse of Flesh
Liec made me tell you to consider Kylaris

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 pm

Kelmet why don't you get these dudes? Don't you live in norsca? I figured you'd do a Hannibal to the empire south of you.
Last edited by Holy Tedalonia on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:58 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hey G, updated it, but I'm still unsure bout the copper spear and the political one since reasons before edit... so I left them out for now.
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Ah, ok thx. Last one I knew was a stretch, but I figured with the continual expansion, you'd start to have retalliation from those who meet others who were chased out, and I also figured some might also decide to jump the gun and attack to show the "emperor a lesson".

Also I'm curious, has your heir ever tried to kill you? I assume that being immortal and all that he realizes he'll never claim the throne, so he'll try to kill you.

Cool, that's fine if the spear is a sentimental non-standard weapon and all.

Nope, not yet. Maybe one day. When Viktor's first son, Petyor, came of age to be a ruler, he had proven himself well-suited for the position, and so Viktor stepped aside 'retiring' to the position of Hegemon. In the same manner Petyor, when he had grown old, did likewise for his son, Vladimir, who now sits on the Iron Throne.

Krugmar wrote:I assume this is still open? If not then disregard.

Skills and Strengths: Interests in reading, history, politics, medieval military matters, ethnology and theology. Adept skier, rock climber.
Weaknesses: Due to size and lack of training, physically weaker than those larger or well-trained. General lack of vocational training or skills.

It is indeed. Happy to have you Krug, that application looks to be in order. As such, accepted.

Conwy-Shire
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Conwy-Shire » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:09 am

Krugmar wrote:I assume this is still open? If not then disregard.

oooh, an author in Cilicia, I'd better start posting more frequently :(
Aurelian Stoicist
Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

The Real MVP

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:58 am

That reminds me, Conwy, I've been thinking of sending a naval delegation to one of your coastal cities from the Emperor. Do you have time to post, or would the next few days be more convenient?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:40 am

Aid (is that what you prefer to be called?), you'll probably find a few people in Nubia with knowledge of farming; the Grim Reaper's Author established a scribal school in the Upper Nile that taught basic knowledge like that to traders. I'm sure it is defunct now, but some of its influences likely remain.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:47 am

How was my first post? Terrible, or not bad? I'm trying to set the scene for later stuff. I hope I didn't go overboard with the expansion of the tribe.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:50 am

The Olog-Hai wrote:How was my first post? Terrible, or not bad? I'm trying to set the scene for later stuff. I hope I didn't go overboard with the expansion of the tribe.

I enjoyed it. A simple explanation of what has resulted, and an assessment of the political situation. A real palate-cleanser after the plotting and bloodshed of the Old World.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:55 am

The Olog-Hai wrote:How was my first post? Terrible, or not bad? I'm trying to set the scene for later stuff. I hope I didn't go overboard with the expansion of the tribe.

I enjoyed it. A simple explanation of what has resulted, and an assessment of the political situation. A real palate-cleanser after the plotting and bloodshed of the Old World.

Yeah, my guy isn't a religious fanatic like Victor. He'd also rather peacefully integrate people, by showing them how much better the standard of living is for his tribe.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse