NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Entronium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Entronium » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:36 am

Forgot to ask but is there a posting order I should be aware of?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:48 am

Entronium wrote:Forgot to ask but is there a posting order I should be aware of?

Naw, just don’t double post and you should be good.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:49 am

Skarten wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
So in your last post, you said that the villagers already had bows- which I absolutely buy. But then you also said that he knows of how to make a better bow, also fair enough.

But then you make the logical leap from the villagers having simple bows of the Neolithic Era to saying they have special long range bows after the fashion Yaroshima suggested; not only do they have these bows, but the other tribe does not. That’s where the logic falls down.

If the tribe Yaroshima is with already has these long range bows, then it stands to reason that the hostile tribe also has them. Thus using these bows to harass the enemy village will not provide a real benefit, because the enemy will be able to answer using the same weapons.

If the tribe Yaroshima is with does not already have these long range bows, sure, the hostile tribe won’t have them either. In that case they could provide a significant leg up on Yaroshima’s tribe’s enemies. But also in that case, as noted, Yaroshima’s tribe doesn’t have these bows- they will need to be created in order to be used, and given this is the first time they have been mentioned, well, it will take time to make any decent number of said bows.

Who said Special?
As i said, Long Maruki Daikyu Bows were already used by le people.
Daikyu is the bow type
Maruki is the Prehistoric bow class.
1st Case probably.

Fair enough- but in that case your plan to lure out your opponents seems like it will fraught with peril.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:53 am

what's the internal time limit for a post?
I'm really tired

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:59 am

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:what's the internal time limit for a post?

In general, I’d rather you limit it to a month or three. But you’re probably a bit behind, so there’s nothing wrong with a bit of a time-gap.

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:02 am

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:what's the internal time limit for a post?

In general, I’d rather you limit it to a month or three. But you’re probably a bit behind, so there’s nothing wrong with a bit of a time-gap.

Yeah I've been doing a month or two, but I am behind so I was gonna just do maybe four months? Bring me up to June from February since that seems to be the average.
I'm really tired

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:49 am

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:

Yeah I've been doing a month or two, but I am behind so I was gonna just do maybe four months? Bring me up to June from February since that seems to be the average.

Sure, that sounds fine.

Ulls
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:34 am

The Olog-Hai wrote:
Eh, you’re not too badly off. Only Europe is really out of the Neolithic.

Ego and Franklin are hurrying out of it...

Next ten years we'll be basically medieval in some groups.

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:36 am

Skarten wrote:Who said Special?
As i said, Long Maruki Daikyu Bows were already used by le people.
Daikyu is the bow type
Maruki is the Prehistoric bow class.
1st Case probably.

Fair enough- but in that case your plan to lure out your opponents seems like it will fraught with peril.

That's why i decided to make Fortifications and such for some extra protection.
Plus, i've got the best card in my hand-
The Mochimasa Chieftain underestimate the villagers.
Do you say it makes sense for you?
For me it's pretty obvious.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 am

Skarten wrote:

That's why i decided to make Fortifications and such for some extra protection.

Sure- but we’re talking about fortifications that can be built in a night as opposed to the permanent fortifications the enemy village has improved and worked on for generations. I know which ones I would prefer to fight from.

And why would that Chief want to send out men to respond to what is an obvious provocation, when he can sit behind his walls and win the war of attrition?

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 am

Skarten wrote:That's why i decided to make Fortifications and such for some extra protection.

Sure- but we’re talking about fortifications that can be built in a night as opposed to the permanent fortifications the enemy village has improved and worked on for generations. I know which ones I would prefer to fight from.

And why would that Chief want to send out men to respond to what is an obvious provocation, when he can sit behind his walls and win the war of attrition?

You see, Bamboo palisades are Better than you think.
Also, it's rather simple. We're not going to stay on their range of fire and just keep shooting whistling arrows, that'd be madness.
We're going to stay on near their firing Range, but out of it. The Archers who fire will probably have to go ahead.
And also, it's just that they Underestimate.
Chieftains back then weren't really famous for "Strategy" and all of that.
I know about ancient japan, trust me.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 pm

Skarten wrote:

You see, Bamboo palisades are Better than you think.
Also, it's rather simple. We're not going to stay on their range of fire and just keep shooting whistling arrows, that'd be madness.
We're going to stay on near their firing Range, but out of it. The Archers who fire will probably have to go ahead.

Perhaps I am mistaken- but doesn’t your strategy basically revolve around damaging the enemy village enough with your archers to bring the enemy to battle?

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Skarten wrote:You see, Bamboo palisades are Better than you think.

Perhaps I am mistaken- but doesn’t your strategy basically revolve around damaging the enemy village enough with your archers to bring the enemy to battle?

I'm Using Kabura Ya arrows for a reason-Luring them out.
I Don't have giant Siege engines, and Fire Arrows? Lol no.
It's supposed to be a "Ambush", if you allow me to say.
Whistling arrows.
Lure them out.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Skarten wrote:

I'm Using Kabura Ya arrows for a reason-Luring them out.
Whistling arrows.
Lure them out.

Sure, that makes sense; my point is that, without a range or concealment advantage, won’t the tribe you are attacking merely respond with their own archers and kill your tribe’s bowmen? They have no need to leave their village to end the harassment easily, fighting from their established defenses.

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Skarten wrote:I'm Using Kabura Ya arrows for a reason-Luring them out.
Whistling arrows.
Lure them out.

Sure, that makes sense; my point is that, without a range or concealment advantage, won’t the tribe you are attacking merely respond with their own archers and kill your tribe’s bowmen? They have no need to leave their village to end the harassment easily, fighting from their established defenses.

Eh, its easier to fire into a fort from concealment than to fire out. In terms of pure psychological warfare, being pelted with arrows sucks
I'm really tired

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Eh, its easier to fire into a fort from concealment than to fire out. In terms of pure psychological warfare, being pelted with arrows sucks

I completely concur- but Skarten is sending his lads to a piece of prefab fortification that will likely be relatively visible to fire into the village. From there it devolves into a skirmish duel, not psychological warfare.

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:51 pm

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:Eh, its easier to fire into a fort from concealment than to fire out. In terms of pure psychological warfare, being pelted with arrows sucks

I completely concur- but Skarten is sending his lads to a piece of prefab fortification that will likely be relatively visible to fire into the village. From there it devolves into a skirmish duel, not psychological warfare.

Is the village completely encircled? Can the villagers get children and women out?
I'm really tired

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Is the village completely encircled? Can the villagers get children and women out?

*shrug*

Skarten hasn’t actually done anything IC, just detailing his plots.

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:58 pm

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:Is the village completely encircled? Can the villagers get children and women out?

*shrug*

I guess what I am trying to say is that 20 men shooting from a barricade at 20 men shooting from a village will win the endurance game because they're children aren't at risk. Unless there's some bunker.
I'm really tired

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:01 pm

*shrug*

I guess what I am trying to say is that 20 men shooting from a barricade at 20 men shooting from a village will win the endurance game because they're children aren't at risk. Unless there's some bunker.

Potentially- it’s more like ~10 men shooting from a fortification built overnight at 15 men behind a primitive wall. You don’t think primitive buildings where women and children would take shelter will be essentially arrow-proof?
Last edited by G-Tech Corporation on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulls
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Seems Japan needs saving. Don't worry, the Night Owl comes to save you from the wilds of the evil Christaindom!

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:06 pm

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:I guess what I am trying to say is that 20 men shooting from a barricade at 20 men shooting from a village will win the endurance game because they're children aren't at risk. Unless there's some bunker.

Potentially- it’s more like ~10 men shooting from a fortification built overnight shooting at 15 men behind a primitive wall. You don’t think primitive buildings were women and children would take shelter will be essentially arrow-proof?

Depends on what they're made of.
Log cabin through and through-->Safe
Log cabin with thatch through-->Not Safe
Basically if its a thatch roof or a hide roof or a thin wooden one and the Yamashitobobitokamsitoessushies are using copper-tipped or stone-tipped arrows, the shelters may not be safe.
If they're using anything durable, then they're safe.
I'm really tired

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:09 pm

Potentially- it’s more like ~10 men shooting from a fortification built overnight shooting at 15 men behind a primitive wall. You don’t think primitive buildings were women and children would take shelter will be essentially arrow-proof?

Depends on what they're made of.
Log cabin through and through-->Safe
Log cabin with thatch through-->Not Safe
Basically if its a thatch roof or a hide roof or a thin wooden one and the Yamashitobobitokamsitoessushies are using copper-tipped or stone-tipped arrows, the shelters may not be safe.
If they're using anything durable, then they're safe.

I honestly couldn’t tell you what the Japanese of antiquity build with.

You raise a fair point though. I think Yaroshima’s tribesmen will take heavy casualties in a skirmishing engagement, but they might indeed succeed in getting a foe to sortie to wipe them out or drive them away.

Ulls
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:17 pm

How many tribesmen does Yaroshima have?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Ulls wrote:How many tribesmen does Yaroshima have?

I’d guesstimate the tribe probably has a few dozen able-bodied men.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse