NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ulls
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:55 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Ulls wrote:How much for it?

Gibraltar is kinda necessary, given the Med is slowly becoming an Imperial lake :P

How much to have ports for Ego?

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Skarten wrote:You see, Yaroshima Will convince the Chief, because
A.Even thoug he's not the ruler of the tribe, It's pretty obvious to all of them Yaroshima is the "smartest". By that i mean, his level of knowledge is way bigger than the ones there.
It's probably obvious by now to the villagers, i think.
B.I am not going to stay in the Doors of the archers. I'm going to stay just within the range of the Village Archers, which are using Primitive Daikyu (Basically Long range Yumi bows)

Intelligence really isn’t a determining factor in tribal times; blood ties and proven combat experience count for far more.

Your character has made new bows now too? I suppose he is a woodworker in his application?

In a way.
Primitive Daikyu Bows, which are the ones i'm talking about, Are pretty Easy to do, Made with bamboo and all.
It's mostly a Daikyu Style Maruki bow, Which were used in Prehistoric Times by the Japanese.
Daikyu is simply the Long version of the Yumi bows.
It's more of a thing he learned over time, while, i do have some experience with woodworking. Basic, though.
But yes, it's entirely possible. The others in the village probably made those bows too simply.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Ulls wrote:
Gibraltar is kinda necessary, given the Med is slowly becoming an Imperial lake :P

Why pay for a port when we could build our own?

There's still plenty of unoccupied land on the west coast of Europe.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Ulls wrote:

Why, some cheap treaty ports in Ego ;)

Skarten wrote:
Intelligence really isn’t a determining factor in tribal times; blood ties and proven combat experience count for far more.

Your character has made new bows now too? I suppose he is a woodworker in his application?

In a way.
Primitive Daikyu Bows, which are the ones i'm talking about, Are pretty Easy to do, Made with bamboo and all.
It's mostly a Daikyu Style Maruki bow, Which were used in Prehistoric Times by the Japanese.
It's more of a thing he learned over time, while, i do have some experience with woodworking. Basic, though.
But yes, it's entirely possible. The others in the village probably made those bows too simply.

You do know your Author has been around for less than a year, no? And during that time has been busy trying to convert the locals, oversee a new farming concern, and recreate copper technology from first principles?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Harkback Union » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Looks like I got a lot of catching up to do...

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Harkback Union wrote:Looks like I got a lot of catching up to do...

Eh, you’re not too badly off. Only Europe is really out of the Neolithic.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Harkback Union » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

So, what would the average tribe look like in my area?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Harkback Union wrote:So, what would the average tribe look like in my area?

Iberia? Your average illiterate Stone-Age savages, kinship groups of hunter-gatherers.

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Ulls wrote:How much to have ports for Ego?

Skarten wrote:In a way.

You do know your Author has been around for less than a year, no? And during that time has been busy trying to convert the locals, oversee a new farming concern, and recreate copper technology from first principles?

Less than a year?
He's been through like 3 Rice cyces. At least 1 year and a half.
Or More.
Plus, it's the Prehistoric age. People wake up early and all that stuff. He had time to at least know how to make bamboo bows.
Last edited by Skarten on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Skarten wrote:

Less than a year?
Or More.
Plus, it's the Prehistoric age. People wake up early and all that stuff. He had time to at least know how to make bamboo bows.

Sure- if by make a bow you mean “bend some bamboo and string it with tendons”. But creating a special type of bow without particular expertise on the topic isn’t a matter of a month or even three, even with complete dedication to the task- especially when one’s attention is split. Carving a single self bow could take days to complete, and the finished product might be too weak in one point, or made of flawed wood, or any unusable for any host of reasons which wouldn’t be apparent until the bow was used.

So we’re looking at months to make a decent simple bow with no experience. And this bow type you are proposing is more complicated. And Yaroshima would have to make many of them to arm the tribe.

Do you see why I don’t find it too plausible all that has been done, alongside identifying copper ores, making weapons for the tribe with essentially no knowledge of metallurgy, while also trying to convert the population, recruit other tribes to work a farm, teaching villagers how to farm, and overseeing the farm in all its stages simultaneously?

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Skarten wrote:Less than a year?
Or More.

Sure- if by make a bow you mean “bend some bamboo and string it with tendons”. But creating a special type of bow without particular expertise on the topic isn’t a matter of a month or even three, even with complete dedication to the task- especially when one’s attention is split. Carving a single self bow could take days to complete, and the finished product might be too weak in one point, or made of flawed wood, or any unusable for any host of reasons which wouldn’t be apparent until the bow was used.

So we’re looking at months to make a decent simple bow with no experience. And this bow type you are proposing is more complicated. And Yaroshima would have to make many of them to arm the tribe.

Do you see why I don’t find it too plausible all that has been done, alongside identifying copper ores, making weapons for the tribe with essentially no knowledge of metallurgy, while also trying to convert the population, recruit other tribes to work a farm, teaching villagers how to farm, and overseeing the farm in all its stages simultaneously?

Again, he has not been the only one making bows.
The villagers already have bows, all yaroshima dif was say what type of bow would be better and try to make one. Only a few daikyu were made.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Skarten wrote:

Again, he has not been the only one making bows.
The villagers already have bows, all yaroshima dif was say what type of bow would be better and try to make one. Only a few daikyu were made.

So the villagers are making bows, working in the farm fields, collecting copper ore, and practicing with spears because Yaroshima asked them to do so, despite him possessing no formal status in the village?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 pm

South, you could probably justify a few young men leaving the tribe with Adewale, seduced by his visions of power and prestige. If you choose to take him on that route.

Greater South
Envoy

Founded: Sep 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater South » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:South, you could probably justify a few young men leaving the tribe with Adewale, seduced by his visions of power and prestige. If you choose to take him on that route.

Sure.
Maybe it'd be king of a "Frodo, Sam, Pippin" kind of deal, with three or four young followers.

Actually, should I chase recruiting a tribe army or make an entirely new settlement in the jungle.
Now set in an alternate world where GS didn't go to war with Junkyard America for a second time because we lost a war against Mekishima and now in the canon lore we're Mekishiman clay, so treat us how you may.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Greater South wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:South, you could probably justify a few young men leaving the tribe with Adewale, seduced by his visions of power and prestige. If you choose to take him on that route.

Sure.
Maybe it'd be king of a "Frodo, Sam, Pippin" kind of deal, with three or four young followers.

Actually, should I chase recruiting a tribe army or make an entirely new settlement in the jungle.

Recruiting an army will probably be more difficult than making a humble settlement, but building an army from the ground up will take longer than seizing control of an existing military apparatus.

Greater South
Envoy

Founded: Sep 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater South » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Greater South wrote:
Sure.

Recruiting an army will probably be more difficult than making a humble settlement, but building an army from the ground up will take longer than seizing control of an existing military apparatus.

Actually, my plan was for the followers to make weapons and build a settlement to lay, while the scout and Adewale would search for tribes and then contact them and just say mean things about the last village and rally them up (e.g. The Mende said this and that about your gods/tribe/ancestors and they think you're chief is an idiot, etc.) and just say they're rebels rising up against them.
Now set in an alternate world where GS didn't go to war with Junkyard America for a second time because we lost a war against Mekishima and now in the canon lore we're Mekishiman clay, so treat us how you may.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Greater South wrote:

Actually, my plan was for the followers to make weapons and build a settlement to lay, while the scout and Adewale would search for tribes and then contact them and just say mean things about the last village and rally them up (e.g. The Mende said this and that about your gods/tribe/ancestors and they think you're chief is an idiot, etc.) and just say they're rebels rising up against them.

Not a bad thought, though your followers, being Mende, might not be too enthusiastic about your Author inciting other tribes to attach their friends and family.

Baratoa
Secretary

Founded: Jul 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Baratoa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:16 pm

I'll have my first post out by tomorrow.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Baratoa wrote:I'll have my first post out by tomorrow.

Fantastic. I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with your Author.

Entronium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Entronium » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:49 pm

I posted, PM me if I did something 'off'.
Last edited by Entronium on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Harkback Union wrote:Looks like I got a lot of catching up to do...

Eh, you’re not too badly off. Only Europe is really out of the Neolithic.

Ego and Franklin are hurrying out of it...
It appears I'm an INTP-T. You're not gonna get much more about me.
Wenglesy wrote:Might as well submit now to the obviously superior forces of Legyon fun Genital.

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:48 am

Skarten wrote:Again, he has not been the only one making bows.

So the villagers are making bows, working in the farm fields, collecting copper ore, and practicing with spears because Yaroshima asked them to do so, despite him possessing no formal status in the village?

Boyo they always had bows, they were hunters.

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:04 am

Skarten wrote:Again, he has not been the only one making bows.

They already had Yumi Maruky Daikyu.
I just said i'll use Long-Range bows, not that Yaroshima "introduced them."
He's just going to tell them they should use Long-Range Bows so they won't be in immediate Fire range of the raiders.
An tip which any intelligent person would follow.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:50 am

Skarten wrote:

They already had Yumi Maruky Daikyu.
He's just going to tell them they should use Long-Range Bows so they won't be in immediate Fire range of the raiders.

So in your last post, you said that the villagers already had bows- which I absolutely buy. But then you also said that he knows of how to make a better bow, also fair enough.

But then you make the logical leap from the villagers having simple bows of the Neolithic Era to saying they have special long range bows after the fashion Yaroshima suggested; not only do they have these bows, but the other tribe does not. That’s where the logic falls down.

If the tribe Yaroshima is with already has these long range bows, then it stands to reason that the hostile tribe also has them. Thus using these bows to harass the enemy village will not provide a real benefit, because the enemy will be able to answer using the same weapons.

If the tribe Yaroshima is with does not already have these long range bows, sure, the hostile tribe won’t have them either. In that case they could provide a significant leg up on Yaroshima’s tribe’s enemies. But also in that case, as noted, Yaroshima’s tribe doesn’t have these bows- they will need to be created in order to be used, and given this is the first time they have been mentioned, well, it will take time to make any decent number of said bows.

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 am

Skarten wrote:They already had Yumi Maruky Daikyu.

So in your last post, you said that the villagers already had bows- which I absolutely buy. But then you also said that he knows of how to make a better bow, also fair enough.

But then you make the logical leap from the villagers having simple bows of the Neolithic Era to saying they have special long range bows after the fashion Yaroshima suggested; not only do they have these bows, but the other tribe does not. That’s where the logic falls down.

If the tribe Yaroshima is with already has these long range bows, then it stands to reason that the hostile tribe also has them. Thus using these bows to harass the enemy village will not provide a real benefit, because the enemy will be able to answer using the same weapons.

If the tribe Yaroshima is with does not already have these long range bows, sure, the hostile tribe won’t have them either. In that case they could provide a significant leg up on Yaroshima’s tribe’s enemies. But also in that case, as noted, Yaroshima’s tribe doesn’t have these bows- they will need to be created in order to be used, and given this is the first time they have been mentioned, well, it will take time to make any decent number of said bows.

Who said Special?
As i said, Long Maruki Daikyu Bows were already used by le people.
Daikyu is the bow type
Maruki is the Prehistoric bow class.
1st Case probably.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse