NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yatzatz
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Yatzatz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:13 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
5. Realism is important in regards to people. Neolithic people were ignorant, not stupid. They are not just going to make you a king or declare you a god simply because you crafted a wheelbarrow.

In general terms, Neolithic people don't even have a concept of god or gods- they would be animists or not even that sophisticated. To have them think, even conceptually, that another human is divinely empowered won't happen unless, for instance, your character does something miraculous like not age for fifty years :P

So should I change that in my post?
Hi!
Yatzatz is a tropical North Pacific nation. RP population is about 25 million.
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog; it feeds the hand that bites it. -Laurence J. Peter
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. -John Adams
Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted. -Fred Allen

Creator of NS Alternate WW2, a historical-based WW2 with NS countries thrown in.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:17 am

Yatzatz wrote:
5. Realism is important in regards to people. Neolithic people were ignorant, not stupid. They are not just going to make you a king or declare you a god simply because you crafted a wheelbarrow.

In general terms, Neolithic people don't even have a concept of god or gods- they would be animists or not even that sophisticated. To have them think, even conceptually, that another human is divinely empowered won't happen unless, for instance, your character does something miraculous like not age for fifty years :P

So should I change that in my post?

Yes, that would be best. Think from it in your shoes: what would it take to convince you someone was a physical god?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Conwy-Shire
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Conwy-Shire » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Yes, that would be best. Think from it in your shoes: what would it take to convince you someone was a physical god?

G-tech, I'm going to be on/off for a couple days in the coming period of time, so if you want to start on the delegation post maybe we could organise a google-doc so we don't have to resort to quote-posting in the IC?
Aurelian Stoicist
Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

The Real MVP

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:37 am

Conwy-shire wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Yes, that would be best. Think from it in your shoes: what would it take to convince you someone was a physical god?

G-tech, I'm going to be on/off for a couple days in the coming period of time, so if you want to start on the delegation post maybe we could organise a google-doc so we don't have to resort to quote-posting in the IC?

That would be excellent- I have time in, say, thirty minutes?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Yatzatz
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yatzatz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 am

Yatzatz wrote:So should I change that in my post?

Yes, that would be best. Think from it in your shoes: what would it take to convince you someone was a physical god?

Well, if someone showed up out of nowhere and began teaching me something completely new to civilization as I knew it, I would possibly think he was sent from God. Not God himself, but sent from God.
Hi!
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog; it feeds the hand that bites it. -Laurence J. Peter
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. -John Adams
Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted. -Fred Allen

Creator of NS Alternate WW2, a historical-based WW2 with NS countries thrown in.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am

Yatzatz wrote:

Well, if someone showed up out of nowhere and began teaching me something completely new to civilization as I knew it, I would possibly think he was sent from God. Not God himself, but sent from God.

Nah, I'd think he is just a smart or philosophical bastard (aka Lenin)

If I recall Lenin was from Germany and started teaching Russians communism? Was he sent from God?
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 am

Yatzatz wrote:

Oh? You wouldn't think he wasn't just from somewhere else and knew something you didn't?

Yatzatz
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yatzatz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:51 am

Yatzatz wrote:Well, if someone showed up out of nowhere and began teaching me something completely new to civilization as I knew it, I would possibly think he was sent from God. Not God himself, but sent from God.

Oh? You wouldn't think he wasn't just from somewhere else and knew something you didn't?

Not if what he was teaching was completely unknown to everything I know at the time.
And I'm only trying to set myself up as a messenger from God, not as God.
Last edited by Yatzatz on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:00 am

Yatzatz wrote:

Not if what he was teaching was completely unknown to everything I know at the time.

Hmm, well, we may have to agree to disagree there. New knowledge is grounds for either skepticism of mental health or interest, historically, not accusations of divinity. Men in this era did not travel far from their yearly hunter-gatherer rounds, and so unrelated knowledge to what they knew encompassed basically anything they hadn't personally thought of.

You'll need something better to convince the NPCs that your character is a messenger from god, or even that there is a god. Remember what I said- Neolithic tribes won't even have a concept of a god or gods, by and large.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 am

Hey G, returned to the Imperium. If you want to make a post about Ted you can do so...
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:14 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hey G, returned to the Imperium. If you want to make a post about Ted you can do so...

Coolio. Would you like me to do so? My personal posting is still in the past of where Ted is, but I don't want to leave you in limbo.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hey G, returned to the Imperium. If you want to make a post about Ted you can do so...

Coolio. Would you like me to do so? My personal posting is still in the past of where Ted is, but I don't want to leave you in limbo.

I could use a break, but don't take to long on catching up

Yatzatz
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yatzatz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:36 am

Yatzatz wrote:Not if what he was teaching was completely unknown to everything I know at the time.

Hmm, well, we may have to agree to disagree there. New knowledge is grounds for either skepticism of mental health or interest, historically, not accusations of divinity. Men in this era did not travel far from their yearly hunter-gatherer rounds, and so unrelated knowledge to what they knew encompassed basically anything they hadn't personally thought of.

You'll need something better to convince the NPCs that your character is a messenger from god, or even that there is a god. Remember what I said- Neolithic tribes won't even have a concept of a god or gods, by and large.

So do you have any advice? I had this whole religion planned out. Like, the whole thing planned out in extreme detail. What do you suggest I do? I'm not sure; I'm just starting this RP.
Last edited by Yatzatz on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:41 am

Yatzatz wrote:

So do you have any advice? I had this whole religion planned out. Like, the whole thing planned out in extreme detail. What do you suggest I do?

I guess earn their trace and make speeches and stuff. Personally I think the best thing is to story build. If you go, "an angel came before me to spread the will of god!" That's pretty much Muhammad did, but incredibly simplyfied. Historically he did not get support initially, but eventually he got a ton of support and formed Islam.

This ofcourse is one of the trillions of examples.
Last edited by Holy Tedalonia on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yatzatz
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yatzatz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:49 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Yatzatz wrote:So do you have any advice? I had this whole religion planned out. Like, the whole thing planned out in extreme detail. What do you suggest I do?

I guess earn their trace and make speeches and stuff. Personally I think the best thing is to story build. If you go, "an angel came before me to spread the will of god!" That's pretty much Muhammad did, but incredibly simplyfied. Historically he did not get support initially, but eventually he got a ton of support and formed Islam.

Hmm.
I edited it to be me beginning to plan something like that. You think it's good now?
Hi!

Leninist South Africa
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Leninist South Africa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:52 am

I'm going be on temporary hiatus, so please don't kick me. Also, please try to not do much with Russia.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 am

Yatzatz wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:I guess earn their trace and make speeches and stuff. Personally I think the best thing is to story build. If you go, "an angel came before me to spread the will of god!" That's pretty much Muhammad did, but incredibly simplyfied. Historically he did not get support initially, but eventually he got a ton of support and formed Islam.

Hmm.
I edited it to be me beginning to plan something like that. You think it's good now?

*shrug*
My opinion doesn't matter as much as G's, but it seems fine to me. Just consider that proclaiming godlike stuff can backfire if you can't preform holy acts, or the fact that it's a very slow process.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

Yatzatz wrote:

So do you have any advice? I had this whole religion planned out. Like, the whole thing planned out in extreme detail. What do you suggest I do? I'm not sure; I'm just starting this RP.

Well, introducing a religion to people is complicated, more so when it isn't an established religion. But there are ways to go about it.

Build personal credibility- your character has only been part of the tribe for two months, and so is a rank newcomer with little trust to his name. Indeed, in most kinship groups he would be either cast out or the lowest of the low in the social hierarchy, as he is neither proven nor related to the tribe by blood. They won't listen to your character as a rule of thumb because they have no reason to do so, save where his ideas are proven to be beneficial- and that's very hard to do with religion.

Build personal relationships and use them to win converts. Though your Author is not trusted, by and large, by the tribe, people like Voni might trust him more comparatively. Trust leads to open minds, and open minds can, potentially, be fertile ground for a religious message.

Develop a dogma. What does your religion offer these people? Why should they put their trust in some strange Other when the spirits of the rocks and trees and streams have served their forefathers well? What evidence is there that your character is of divine origin, possessing a special revelation from god/the gods?

By and large, religious conversion is a matter of time. Time to develop relationships, time to develop credibility, time to show the nonbeliever that there is something they are missing in not being a convert. Depending on the tenets of the religion you hope to create, and how your Author goes about it, it may take months or years before even the first tribesman forsakes the spirits of their ancestors/their homeland in exchange for a strange deity of an outlander.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Leninist South Africa wrote:I'm going be on temporary hiatus, so please don't kick me. Also, please try to not do much with Russia.

Alright, no worries. Any idea when you'll be back?

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune
Senator

Founded: Feb 01, 2017

Postby The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Yatzatz wrote:Not if what he was teaching was completely unknown to everything I know at the time.

I made myself an 'avatar' of a local god amongst the people, as there is evidence of religion amongst Neolithic societies in the Yangtze area, as well as the fact that I/Damian would be an absolute giant in the area at the time.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:14 pm

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune wrote:

I made myself an 'avatar' of a local god amongst the people, as there is evidence of religion amongst Neolithic societies in the Yangtze area, as well as the fact that I/Damian would be an absolute giant in the area at the time.

That's fine. Just remember that such beliefs will not be universal throughout the population, and may even be rejected physically by some.

Leninist South Africa
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Leninist South Africa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Leninist South Africa wrote:I'm going be on temporary hiatus, so please don't kick me. Also, please try to not do much with Russia.

I'll try for this weekend, maybe Sunday?

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm

What's special bout Russia? All they have is oil an uranium, and oil is more abundant in the Middle East. I don't expect G to expand their much or atleast until he can use uranium.
Last edited by Holy Tedalonia on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Leninist South Africa wrote:

I'll try for this weekend, maybe Sunday?

Ah, that's no trouble. Honestly, don't worry if you have to step out for a day or three- I'll only get concerned if you don't show up for a couple weeks :lol:

Yatzatz
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yatzatz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Yatzatz wrote:So do you have any advice? I had this whole religion planned out. Like, the whole thing planned out in extreme detail. What do you suggest I do? I'm not sure; I'm just starting this RP.

Well, introducing a religion to people is complicated, more so when it isn't an established religion. But there are ways to go about it.

Build personal credibility- your character has only been part of the tribe for two months, and so is a rank newcomer with little trust to his name. Indeed, in most kinship groups he would be either cast out or the lowest of the low in the social hierarchy, as he is neither proven nor related to the tribe by blood. They won't listen to your character as a rule of thumb because they have no reason to do so, save where his ideas are proven to be beneficial- and that's very hard to do with religion.

Build personal relationships and use them to win converts. Though your Author is not trusted, by and large, by the tribe, people like Voni might trust him more comparatively. Trust leads to open minds, and open minds can, potentially, be fertile ground for a religious message.

Develop a dogma. What does your religion offer these people? Why should they put their trust in some strange Other when the spirits of the rocks and trees and streams have served their forefathers well? What evidence is there that your character is of divine origin, possessing a special revelation from god/the gods?

By and large, religious conversion is a matter of time. Time to develop relationships, time to develop credibility, time to show the nonbeliever that there is something they are missing in not being a convert. Depending on the tenets of the religion you hope to create, and how your Author goes about it, it may take months or years before even the first tribesman forsakes the spirits of their ancestors/their homeland in exchange for a strange deity of an outlander.

Well, cataclysmic events certainly help...
An eruption of Mount Fuji?
Hi!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse