NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ulls
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:So, I'm thinking about putting together a history/timeline for established nations, because I've been told this might help new folks join, even if they drop in unoccupied regions.

Would people be interested in putting together their own brief histories?

Been waiting to write something for Ego.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Kelmet wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Yes, likely something like that, that I will aggregate all of them to put in the OP. We had at least four new posters sign up, but none of them made it to the IC, and I think that might be because the RP is too inaccessibly developed looking.

I was thinking a separate thread were we could post info about a civ, cultural and religious info along with examples of architecture and systems of government.

That would be the idea, yes.

Though it will mean I have to go back and finally run my map update :P
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:So, I'm thinking about putting together a history/timeline for established nations, because I've been told this might help new folks join, even if they drop in unoccupied regions.

As a new person who's been watching this thread, that would be exceedingly useful.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:

As a new person who's been watching this thread, that would be exceedingly useful.

Ah, excellent, I am glad to hear people like the concept.

Welcome back, by the by.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Olthenia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:59 am

Reverend Norv wrote:As a new person who's been watching this thread, that would be exceedingly useful.

Hear, hear.
Last edited by Olthenia on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:17 am

Alrighty folks, I have a Lore/Appendix thread up, for those who have writeups to do. It is linked in this OOC Op. I'll try to keep it up to date for links, and work on my posts for Rhone, the Imperium, and the Corsairs as I am able.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Uhhhh G-Tech

how the fuck do you control Europe after not even a single century?

Unless I didn't read close enough?
yee haw it's time for mass line

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Reatra wrote:Uhhhh G-Tech

Oh, it's hardly controlling Europe.

More from the Danube to the Rhine in a big crescent-shaped territory.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Reatra wrote:Uhhhh G-Tech

You know what I mean. That's a lot of people, did you conquer them all? I mean okay if you did but still seems kinda insane.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Reatra wrote:

You know what I mean. That's a lot of people, did you conquer them all? I mean okay if you did but still seems kinda insane.

Eh, it's not really that many people these days. Somewhere in the vicinity of a million citizens. And it's using the natural several generations of population growth that have occurred in the Imperium for settling rather than conquest, by and large.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Since at this point it's less about the individual than the state he controls, I think I can just sorta declare I still want to be here?

The Popular Regime

Years Active: 2997 BCE - 2926 BCE

History:

Economy:

Geography:

Demographics:

Population:

Religion:

Language:

Government:
Structure:

Foreign Relations:

Military:

Army:

Navy:

Infrastructure:

Education:

Culture:

Technology:

Health:

Territory:
Last edited by Reatra on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Sure, that's no trouble. It certainly is still a character RP, though. We're always looking for new people.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:13 pm

So as a reference the Imperium only has about a million people living in it?
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Kelmet wrote:So as a reference the Imperium only has about a million people living in it?

Honestly, it is hard to say, and Viktor has never conducted anything more than urban censuses.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:41 pm

California had about 400,000 people when the Spanish came, which was probably during or after initial outbreaks of foreign diseases. Technology frankly didn't really advance since initial invasions of people to California (although some invasions did occur later, but I doubt the Japanese who settled in California in 2000 BCE brought much over). Evidence suggests that California sorta had the same sort of societies from 5000 BCE to 1750 CE.

I'll be conservative and say there's about 75,000 people in California (vastly along the coast, the Valley and the Bay Area) in 3000 BCE, and say about 3.5% growth rate cause of the carrying capacity being much higher than the population and such, and see how much that gets me by 74 years later...

Shave off about 100,000 for initial growth into those territories, and then add the amount from integrated territories outside California (mostly Central Mexico).

Idk... it's mostly guesswork, but I'm trying to stay rather conservative in the guesswork, and it gets me to about 1.1 million.

Mostly in California, of course.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Reatra wrote:California had about 400,000 people when the Spanish came, which was probably during or after initial outbreaks of foreign diseases. Technology frankly didn't really advance since initial invasions of people to California (although some invasions did occur later, but I doubt the Japanese who settled in California in 2000 BCE brought much over). Evidence suggests that California sorta had the same sort of societies from 5000 BCE to 1750 CE.

I'll be conservative and say there's about 75,000 people in California (vastly along the coast, the Valley and the Bay Area) in 3000 BCE, and say about 3.5% growth rate cause of the carrying capacity being much higher than the population and such, and see how much that gets me by 74 years later...

Shave off about 100,000 for initial growth into those territories, and then add the amount from integrated territories outside California (mostly Central Mexico).

Idk... it's mostly guesswork, but I'm trying to stay rather conservative in the guesswork, and it gets me to about 1.1 million.

I think the trouble you run in to is that growth rate. Year by year, 3.5% is a massive (unrealistically so) growth rate for any country, even a modern one with extremely low infant mortality rates and almost no plague.

Case in point, France in the 1950s experienced the highest growth rate in the world, and that was 0.96% per year. The world population took 127 years to double from one billion people to two billion people, and that one billion figure was only achieved in 1804.

So, hmm, you won't be seeing organic growth turn 75k people in to one million people in less than a century. That's a cumulative growth percentage of 1450%. IRL, in the next thousand years the population of the world will not even double.

Ulls
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Ego would probably be in the thousands to tens of thousands at best. That's without doing any math and statistics.

Reatra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Reatra wrote:California had about 400,000 people when the Spanish came, which was probably during or after initial outbreaks of foreign diseases. Technology frankly didn't really advance since initial invasions of people to California (although some invasions did occur later, but I doubt the Japanese who settled in California in 2000 BCE brought much over). Evidence suggests that California sorta had the same sort of societies from 5000 BCE to 1750 CE.

I think the trouble you run in to is that growth rate. Year by year, 3.5% is a massive (unrealistically so) growth rate for any country, even a modern one with extremely low infant mortality rates and almost no plague.

Case in point, France in the 1950s experienced the highest growth rate in the world, and that was 0.96% per year. The world population took 127 years to double from one billion people to two billion people, and that one billion figure was only achieved in 1804.

So, hmm, you won't be seeing organic growth turn 75k people in to one million people in less than a century. That's a cumulative growth percentage of 1450%. IRL, in the next thousand years the population of the world will not even double.

Really? I was going by growth rates for the USA in the 1800s.

I could be a powergamer and say that the initial 75k was conservative in the first place, but I think I won't.

I'm trying to find estimates for Mesoamerica's population in this era, it's tough...

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Reatra wrote:

Really? I was going by growth rates for the USA in the 1800s.

I could be a powergamer and say that the initial 75k was conservative in the first place, but I think I won't.

I'm trying to find estimates for Mesoamerica's population in this era, it's tough...

Yeah, the thing to remember about growth rates of New World countries, especially in the Industrial Era, is that they include immigration. We can't rely on that, at least not to any significant extent. Natural growth rates, eg births outnumbering deaths, have a rather slow effect on aggregate national population throughout almost all of history.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:45 am

Hey G, can you catch me up? I was busy most of the summer and fell behind.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:53 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hey G, can you catch me up? I was busy most of the summer and fell behind.

Hmm, yes, I think so.

There has been a ten year timeskip since you were last around- we honestly kinda assumed you weren't coming back, and the Imperium has basically annexed up to Rome in that decade :P

But we can change that easily enough if you're returning.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:57 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hey G, can you catch me up? I was busy most of the summer and fell behind.

Hmm, yes, I think so.

There has been a ten year timeskip since you were last around- we honestly kinda assumed you weren't coming back, and the Imperium has basically annexed up to Rome in that decade :P

Yeah, i was thinking it was going to end up like that anyways. I'm wondering how I should return to this. I'm ok with being annexed as long as I can play (rebellious) Imperial citizen
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:00 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Hmm, yes, I think so.

Yeah, i was thinking it was going to end up like that anyways. I'm wondering how I should return to this. I'm ok with being annexed as long as I can play (rebellious) Imperial citizen

Okay, there's nothing wrong with that. You, of course, retain full control of your character, and I think it is reasonable that Ted could have disappeared in to the woodwork as Imperial borders crept westward.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:05 am

Hey, G-tech! Sorry for not posting at all in the most recent iteration of this RP, writers block + RL eating up my time really screwed me over. Now I think I'm back and able to post. If I used the same character from however many iterations ago (the one in northern New Jersey), would I get that 10 year time skip?
It appears I'm an INTP-T. You're not gonna get much more about me.
Wenglesy wrote:Might as well submit now to the obviously superior forces of Legyon fun Genital.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:06 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Yeah, i was thinking it was going to end up like that anyways. I'm wondering how I should return to this. I'm ok with being annexed as long as I can play (rebellious) Imperial citizen

Okay, there's nothing wrong with that. You, of course, retain full control of your character, and I think it is reasonable that Ted could have disappeared in to the woodwork as Imperial borders crept westward.

Good old fashion shadow kingdom! Since I have school I'll be able to move around less, so I'll be able to make more posts.

Anyways I still need to get caught up do you have a link to the events or can you explain to me what happened? Also if I'm going to be rebel citizen can you send me information about your empire so I don't screw up.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse