NATION

PASSWORD

Washington 2017: The U.S. Political RP: IC [CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:29 pm

New Jersey State House, Trenton, New Jersey

Governor Hotckiss wasn't an entirely cynical woman, but she was, at this point, largely a practical one. The negotiations over the RLSA were a fifty-hour work week, plus a few calls on developments, rarely good, on the weekends. Even if she had wanted to try to campaign against some of what was being thrown at her, she didn't have the time-and she hated doing that sort of thing anyway. It wouldn't have even been a good idea even if she was enthused-the general was a ways out, the Democrats still had themselves to fight amongst, and shooting back would only draw more attention to the attacks, and keep her on the constant defensive for months to come.

Being an incumbent made one an easy and visible target for anyone with mud to sling, set you up on a dunk tank with plenty of water. It did, however, also provide some opportunities to preen a bit before the state's media, yet without having to appear to be taking political shots at all. She had one of those opportunities now, and was taking advantage of it.

It was a simple, small, press conference. The room wasn't all that big, and it was almost cozy at this point. Of the two dozen or so reporters there, she probably knew most of them by name by now, for good, and for bad. When it was the same people you stood before every day, you'd start to get to know them, or at least their tendencies, if you weren't blind or shut off, and she'd gotten to the point where she could figure who'd be spinning this which way.

A lot more spinning it against the way she'd wanted than it used to be. Good old days, she supposed.

In any case, she had a fairly brief statement to make, no plans to take questions, best to get on with it.

"Good morning to all of you."

"It is with regret, but also with best wishes that I announce the news that three members of my cabinet will be departing in the coming weeks. Mr. Telles, the State Treasurer, Mr. Baker, the Health Commissioner, and Mr. Gutenberger, the Banking and Insurance Commissioner, have announced their plans to resign and move on to other things. They have all worked hard and well at their positions, and New Jersey is a better state because of them. Each of them has their own plans, and we wish them nothing but the best where they go."

"These positions will need to be replaced, and my staff and I have been working diligently to find suitable candidates for the heavy responsibilities of the offices. We have gone through the process and have three women selected to go through final interviews that we believe will fit each position very well, and work well for the people of the state of New Jersey. These selections are part of a long-running goal of this administration to select the best public officials for the people while narrowing the gender gap in politics. As only the second female Governor of over fifty Governors in this state's history, I know we have a long way to go but we will keep on traveling down that path of progress."

She gave a curt nod, concluding the conference, and exiting.

She made her way down a short hall before taking a corner, and then taking a seat on the nearby bench, taking as deep of breaths as she was able to get air back in her lungs and moving again, return respiration to normal after holding the tone for those few minutes there.

"Long-running goal", well, that was a lie on its face, or at least mostly one. It wasn't that she wasn't sympathetic to the lack of women around her. Her own core staff was mostly female, after everything with her husband, she preferred working with XX company, didn't want to deal with another man on the day-to-day or the personal stuff. The military had done its own job on the topic, more than enough to lock in her understanding of how hostile certain environments could be to the fairer sex. Still, in all of that, she had never embraced the whole "equal representation" concept, because it was a stupid one. Like it or not, most of the people getting into these jobs were men, most of the people with the qualifications were men, and picking the best man for the job meant mostly picking the best man for the job.

But stupid or not, it was a political football now, and since she had it on a tee, she'd given it a kick.

Sandra appeared around the corner, handing off a diet Dr. Pepper to the Governor, who took it without comment, drinking in just a few sips before setting aside the luxury.

Well, back to work.
Male.
Political Views: Classically Liberal Paleoconservative Neoliberal Libertarian Conservative
"We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Francais, appuyer le numero deux."

WWFD (What Would Fraser Do?)
Community Choice Award for Nation Role Play: The War Cry of Uncle Sam (OP)
Recognized By the Community Miscellaneous Role Play: Washington Political RP (OP)
Recognized By the Community for Exemplary Talent in Nation Role Play: Prolieum

The United Artherian Federation
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Dr. Doug Stephens
@Doc4Montana

@Rep.BlakeWhite How about instead we end the double standard of 18 year olds being able to get blown up by IEDs in war but not able to have a beer or a smoke? I’d settle for a 19-year-old universal age of adulthood Amendment instead. #StopGovernmentHypocrisyNOW

RETWEETSFAVORITE

12:35 pm - 2/7/17

ImageImage
Blame White Jr.
@Rep.BlakeWhite

@Doc4Montana, tobacco is a bigger problem. And studies have shown that tobacco and alcohol adversely affect a growing brain. In fact, the brain is not done growing until about 23-24. And you want a universal 19?#StopTobaccoNOW

RETWEETSFAVORITE

1:39 pm - 2/8/17
Twice sigbanned, once scared of the wrath of the forum mods.
On this index, my military is a 10-10-7.
Raider, military coniessour, God's slowest writer.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:38 pm

DJ's Pad, Washington, DC
"I don't know what to do! It's them evil Progressives!"

Rod pulled out his shotgun and briefly contemplated shooting Lenny Lotto on 5th avenue.
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 pm

The Free Territory of Makhnovia wrote:(Image)(Image)

Sarah June West
@sjwest

Fallout 4 is kinda disappointing. No interesting factions like those in New Vegas (House <3) and I expected more from the Boston locations.

RETWEETSFAVORITE
[size=120]31

(Image)

ImageImage
Lenny Lotto
@Lennyslottomachine

@sjwest Well you are wrong SJW lady, Fallout NV didn't even allow me to side with Benny, complete failure; I quit it as soon as possible.

RETWEETSFAVORITE

'

Lotto glanced in slight shame at his old dusty box of games.
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Congressman Johnson's Pad, Washington DC

Jamie Johnson was stopped by an evil (probably) Progressive protestor on his way to the office! The evil Progressive demanded that he not ignore her. HOW DARE SHE, after trying to ignore the petite woman things got violent, with the woman punched him in the face! Fortunately thanks to the fact that she was weak the punch did not hurt that much, only a bit of blood came out, he then shoved the woman to the ground. Jamie barged into the meeting room dramatically and declared.

"COUSINS LOOK WHAT AN EVIL PROGRESSIVE DID TO ME! THEY ARE GOING TOO FAR!"

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:43 pm

The United Artherian Federation wrote:
Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Dr. Doug Stephens
@Doc4Montana

@Rep.BlakeWhite How about instead we end the double standard of 18 year olds being able to get blown up by IEDs in war but not able to have a beer or a smoke? I’d settle for a 19-year-old universal age of adulthood Amendment instead. #StopGovernmentHypocrisyNOW

RETWEETSFAVORITE

12:35 pm - 2/7/17

ImageImage
Blame White Jr.
@Rep.BlakeWhite

@Doc4Montana, tobacco is a bigger problem. And studies have shown that tobacco and alcohol adversely affect a growing brain. In fact, the brain is not done growing until about 23-24. And you want a universal 19?#StopTobaccoNOW

RETWEETSFAVORITE

Dr. Doug Stephens
@Doc4Montana

@Rep.BlakeWhite wait, "tobacco is a bigger problem"? Did you literally just say that it's a bigger problem for for an 18-year-old to smoke cigarettes than to get killed or paralyzed by a roadside bomb? How dare you insult our troops that way...#StopGovernmentHypocrisyNOW #ISupportOurTroops

RETWEETSFAVORITE

12:40 pm - 2/8/17
Last edited by Velahor on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Bruke wrote:
Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:
"Well of course, I have already formulated that in some form in the act; except on the date that the move commences, a statement to employees and the government, that sort of thing" He continued with a slight pause.

"Now listen, Greg, we need to some good prominent support for this act if it's going to tear it's way in front of Reed's desk, do you know any congressmen that could get on board with this as well?"

"How bout Blair Barnum of Iowa? I hear good things about him."

"He's a fine gentleman, and has been through a bit too much as of late, but yes the man has his heart in the right place and I think he would side it with."

"Also, relating to acts; I thought you'd be interested." Albert unfolded another paper from his pocket.

Bill Proposal Sheet
Official Name: Innovation in America Act of 2017Nickname: IMA

Co-Sponsors: Representative Albert Fransworth and Representative Glen Anderson

Section 1- Overview

This bill expands the research credit for qualified domestic manufacturers. This credit has been among the most significant resources available to a wide range of industries, promoting domestic innovation and investment in Research & Development, keeping the United States on the cutting edge of manufacturing.

Section 2- Definitions

A) The term “qualified domestic manufacturer” means a taxpayer who has domestic production gross receipts which are more than 50 percent of total gross receipts.

B) The term “domestic production gross receipts” has the meaning given under section 199(c)(4).

Section 3- Qualified Domestic Manufacturer

The Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended with the following

A) In the case of a qualified domestic manufacturer the enhanced credit is increased from 20 percent by the bonus amount in Section 4.

B) In the case of a qualified domestic manufacturer making an election under subsection (c)(5) the 14 percent amount is increased by the bonus amount in Section 4 and the 6 percent amount is increased by the bonus amount in Section 4

Section 4- Bonus Amount

A) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 50 percent but not more that 60 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 1 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by .7 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by .3 percent

B) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 60 percent but not more that 70 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 2 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by 1.4 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by .6 percent

C) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 70 percent but not more that 80 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 3 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by 2.1 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by .9 percent

D) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 80 percent but not more that 90 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 4 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by 2.8 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by .9 percent

E) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 90 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 5 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by 3.5 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by 1.5 percent

This bill is then honorably presented to the house of representatives for consideration in order to encourage innovation in American Manufacturing to improve the United States Law and is backed by Congressman Glen Anderson and Congressman Albert Fransworth on February 9th 2017

The Free Territory of Makhnovia
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 pm

ImageImage

Sarah June West
@sjwest

@Lennyslottomachine You actually wanted to side with a man who put a slug in your head? Well, I didn't know your issues go that far, but considering your self-destructive campaign I should have known better...

RETWEETSFAVORITE
[size=120]43

Last edited by The Free Territory of Makhnovia on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Congressman Johnson's Home, Washington D.C.

Donald was doing the thinking when Jamie busted in.

"You should have punched that thing right in its evil progressive nose!"
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Meelducan wrote:
Congressman Johnson's Home, Washington D.C.

Donald was doing the thinking when Jamie busted in.

"You should have punched that thing right in its evil progressive nose!"

"Cousin I shoved her to the floor for doing that! Anyways where were we?"

Jamie said wiping his blood all over the white linen cloth on the table.

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Sarah June West
@sjwest

Fallout 4 is kinda disappointing. No interesting factions like those in New Vegas (House <3) and I expected more from the Boston locations.

RETWEETSFAVORITE
[size=120]31

(Image)

ImageImage

James Miles Jr.
@JimmyMilesAKAG

@sjwest I loved the game myself! Except that Preston Garvey kept spamming me with "the Minutemen need your help" missions...

RETWEETSFAVORITE

”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Sarah June West
@sjwest

@Lennyslottomachine You actually wanted to side with a man who put a slug in your head? Well, I didn't know your issues go that far, but considering your self-destructive campaign I should have known better...

RETWEETSFAVORITE
[size=120]43

(Image)

ImageImage
Lenny Lotto
@Lennyslottomachine

@sjwest You call yourself a 'techno-Prog' without irony or self awareness; so I don't know why you're calling me loony.

RETWEETSFAVORITE

'
Last edited by Latvijas Otra Republika on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Territory of Makhnovia
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Territory of Makhnovia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Sarah June West
@sjwest

@JimmyMilesAKAG It isn't actually bad. It's only that my expectations were really high before I sat down to play it.

RETWEETSFAVORITE
[size=120]70

(Image)[/quote]

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Velahor wrote:
Tallahassee News Station wrote:
"Well make sure to put in your seatbelt when you get in the car madame because you are going to be going on a wild ride." Jared smiled teethfully and smoothly opened the passenger door for her.

Nicole smiles and decides to tease Jared a bit. "Wait up a second...did my date just tell me to make sure I wore a seat belt? Well, I'm glad you're concerned for my safety," she remarks with a touch of sarcasm. "So, let me grab my keys and we'll go."

Jared opened his mouth to say something then decided not to and closed it, and just waited
Last edited by Tallahassee News Station on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Co-OP of the 2016 Washington Political RP

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

The United Artherian Federation
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Velahor wrote:
The United Artherian Federation wrote:
ImageImage
Blame White Jr.
@Rep.BlakeWhite

RETWEETSFAVORITE

Dr. Doug Stephens
@Doc4Montana

@Rep.BlakeWhite wait, "tobacco is a bigger problem"? Did you literally just say that it's a bigger problem for for an 18-year-old to smoke cigarettes than to get killed or paralyzed by a roadside bomb? How dare you insult our troops that way...#StopGovernmentHypocrisyNOW #ISupportOurTroops

RETWEETSFAVORITE

12:40 pm - 2/8/17

ImageImage
Blame White Jr.
@Rep.BlakeWhite

@Doc4Montana, I meant that in the long run smoking causes more problems. I didn’t mean to insult our troops. If there are any troops reading this, I am sorry if I have offended you. #StopTobaccoNOW #I’mSorry

RETWEETSFAVORITE

1:45 pm - 2/8/17
Twice sigbanned, once scared of the wrath of the forum mods.
On this index, my military is a 10-10-7.
Raider, military coniessour, God's slowest writer.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Bruke wrote:
"How bout Blair Barnum of Iowa? I hear good things about him."

"He's a fine gentleman, and has been through a bit too much as of late, but yes the man has his heart in the right place and I think he would side it with."

"Also, relating to acts; I thought you'd be interested." Albert unfolded another paper from his pocket.

Bill Proposal Sheet
Official Name: Innovation in America Act of 2017Nickname: IMA

Co-Sponsors: Representative Albert Fransworth and Representative Glen Anderson

Section 1- Overview

This bill expands the research credit for qualified domestic manufacturers. This credit has been among the most significant resources available to a wide range of industries, promoting domestic innovation and investment in Research & Development, keeping the United States on the cutting edge of manufacturing.

Section 2- Definitions

A) The term “qualified domestic manufacturer” means a taxpayer who has domestic production gross receipts which are more than 50 percent of total gross receipts.

B) The term “domestic production gross receipts” has the meaning given under section 199(c)(4).

Section 3- Qualified Domestic Manufacturer

The Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended with the following

A) In the case of a qualified domestic manufacturer the enhanced credit is increased from 20 percent by the bonus amount in Section 4.

B) In the case of a qualified domestic manufacturer making an election under subsection (c)(5) the 14 percent amount is increased by the bonus amount in Section 4 and the 6 percent amount is increased by the bonus amount in Section 4

Section 4- Bonus Amount

A) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 50 percent but not more that 60 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 1 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by .7 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by .3 percent

B) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 60 percent but not more that 70 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 2 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by 1.4 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by .6 percent

C) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 70 percent but not more that 80 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 3 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by 2.1 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by .9 percent

D) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 80 percent but not more that 90 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 4 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by 2.8 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by .9 percent

E) If the percentage of total gross receipts which are domestic production gross receipts is more than 90 percent; the bonus amount is increased by 5 percent, the alternative simplified bonus is increased by 3.5 percent and the subsection (c)(5)(B) s increased by 1.5 percent

This bill is then honorably presented to the house of representatives for consideration in order to encourage innovation in American Manufacturing to improve the United States Law and is backed by Congressman Glen Anderson and Congressman Albert Fransworth on February 9th 2017

"I'd be very interested. You'll definitely have my support on that bill as well. Let me take a moment to see if I have any suggestions...." Morton looked over the legislation for a moment. "Looks pretty good to me, Farnsworth. You and Anderson have done a fine job."
Last edited by Bruke on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:48 pm

ImageImage
Greg Morton
@RepGregMortonCA03

Some people are entrepreneurs, building their business from the ground up. Others spend their careers helping entrepreneurs be successful, and take pride in helping others prosper. But certain people use smoke and mirrors and the family name to get rich quick, and pretend moving money around is hard work. #NotSelfMadeSuccess #WorkingClassWannabe

RETWEETSFAVORITE

7:15pm - 2/7/17

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Peter Amaras
@ConservativeRevolutionary

And there are alway some people who manage to describe themselves just perfectly with their own hashtags.

#Yep
Last edited by Prolieum on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Male.
Political Views: Classically Liberal Paleoconservative Neoliberal Libertarian Conservative
"We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Francais, appuyer le numero deux."

WWFD (What Would Fraser Do?)
Community Choice Award for Nation Role Play: The War Cry of Uncle Sam (OP)
Recognized By the Community Miscellaneous Role Play: Washington Political RP (OP)
Recognized By the Community for Exemplary Talent in Nation Role Play: Prolieum

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 pm

"I have a proposal for you, more political than policy related. I'm looking to form a non-partisan PAC to support politicians and political candidates who will fight for American workers and business against unfair foreign competition. Of course, for the PAC to be non-partisan, it needs to have members from all parties.... Are you interested in helping me get the group off the ground? It'll be the first step to forming a Congressional caucus with the same focus."

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Bruke wrote:"I have a proposal for you, more political than policy related. I'm looking to form a non-partisan PAC to support politicians and political candidates who will fight for American workers and business against unfair foreign competition. Of course, for the PAC to be non-partisan, it needs to have members from all parties.... Are you interested in helping me get the group off the ground? It'll be the first step to forming a Congressional caucus with the same focus."

Fransworth looked around and grabbed the nearest stool, finally sitting down.

"Hm" he cracked his knuckles.

"Well, good thinking, especially with Progressives trying do their own thing; But I need to know some more in all honesty"

"Will this be the only issue the PAC is centred around?"

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Bruke wrote:"I have a proposal for you, more political than policy related. I'm looking to form a non-partisan PAC to support politicians and political candidates who will fight for American workers and business against unfair foreign competition. Of course, for the PAC to be non-partisan, it needs to have members from all parties.... Are you interested in helping me get the group off the ground? It'll be the first step to forming a Congressional caucus with the same focus."

"Well, good thinking, especially with Progressives trying do their own thing; But I need to know some more in all honesty"

"It's not so much an issue as it is a theme. The heart of the theme will be economic nationalism, to be sure. But I also realize that's going to repel the more... upscale voters. The country club Republicans will throw a fit, and so will the counterparts in your party. So we'll need to focus on the middle class." He pulled out a notepad, and turned to a page with a list of potential issues...

• Substantial and permanent tax cuts at all income levels, paid for by cutting out waste, fraud, and abuse in all government agencies
  • A lifetime ban on politicians and bureaucrats becoming lobbyists after retirement
  • Investments in infrastructure, paid for by using designated revenue sources, such as the gas tax
  • Creating commissions, structured like the Appalachian Regional Commission, to serve economically disadvantaged areas like the Rust Belt

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Bruke wrote:

"It's not so much an issue as it is a theme. The heart of the theme will be economic nationalism, to be sure. But I also realize that's going to repel the more... upscale voters. The country club Republicans will throw a fit, and so will the counterparts in your party. So we'll need to focus on the middle class." He pulled out a notepad, and turned to a page with a list of potential issues...

• Substantial and permanent tax cuts at all income levels, paid for by cutting out waste, fraud, and abuse in all government agencies
  • A lifetime ban on politicians and bureaucrats becoming lobbyists after retirement
  • Investments in infrastructure, paid for by using designated revenue sources, such as the gas tax
  • Creating commissions, structured like the Appalachian Regional Commission, to serve economically disadvantaged areas like the Rust Belt

Albert sat in thought as it was explained, and sternly glossed over the notes.

"You know what, I think this PAC will be long and successful,I do; coming in from some no-where in Virginia and living through all that tough work, I think this will do well for my folk at home." He took a breath, pausing to reflect nonchalantly.

"Sticking it to the snotty elitist child like snobbery in both parties, I can get behind that." His voice went raspy nearing the statement.

"You've figured out a name champ?" he leaned back in his stool.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Bruke wrote:

"You know what, I think this PAC will be long and successful,I do; coming in from some no-where in Virginia and living through all that tough work, I think this will do well for my folk at home." He took a breath, pausing to reflect nonchalantly.

"Sticking it to the snotty elitist child like snobbery in both parties, I can get behind that." His voice went raspy nearing the statement.

"How does the Committee for National Interests sound? Also... Do you have any suggestions for potential issues? These need to be issues that can cut across party lines, bring people of different ideologies together, like stopping corruption or unfair trade. Issues that won't get bogged down in partisan fights. If you see any issue here that seems like it'll be too partisan, let me know now, so I can strike it from the list. I feel like trade and corruption will be our winning issues."
Last edited by Bruke on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 am

Morton considered one more issue to add to the list: government transparency. It was especially potent in light of the President's press conference.

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 am

Bruke wrote:

"How does the Committee for National Interests sound? Also... Do you have any suggestions for potential issues? These need to be issues that can cut across party lines, bring people of different ideologies together, like stopping corruption or unfair trade. Issues that won't get bogged down in partisan fights. If you see any issue here that seems like it'll be too partisan, let me know now, so I can strike it from the list. I feel like trade and corruption will be our winning issues."

Albert tossed the name inside his head for a bit and preceded to respond.

"I don't mind the name, as long as it doesn't sound too Republican"

"Infrastructure investments I agree with. But on the retirement point, in all honesty I think it's useless, the lobbyists will simply not retire for the sake of lobbying."

"Public transparency might anger some very powerful folks who would rather insist on not having it, but other then that the points are fine in my eyes."

"Say, do you have a cigar or a cigarette?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse