NATION

PASSWORD

Washington 2017: The U.S. Political RP: IC [CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:41 am

Fredrick Williams
@MSGov
Japan proves that is possible to have traditional gender roles, while maintaining an excellent economy! When you look at Japan you see traditional nuclear families and prosperity both in the economy and the household. Yet in America we have broken families, as a result of feminism which caused the destruction of the family.

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:42 am

Staft Meeting, Solidarity Connecticut HQ, Hartford, Connecticut

Reginaldo Alphonsey's brother Valentine was practically living in Connecticut for the extent of the special senate race. He was renting a house, with a few other out of state operatives Solidarity hired, over in East Hartford. This was because organizing the board, overseeing fundraising and advertizing, and organizing volunteers was a full time job, especially since most of Solidarity's efforts were on the senate race.

Valentine was a seasoned political operative. He was savvy, easy to get along with, and he ran Solidarity well. However, Reginaldo had the star power, the ability to command an audience, and was charismatic in his own rather aloof way. So, Valentine brought him in to Connecticut to help with the campaign. First, he would hold a rally for the campaign volunteers, to help them to be motivated in the final stretch to keep registering voters, making calls, and knocking on doors. Then he would hold a rally in Torrington, to help turn out the well educated and progressive population that exists within Litchfield County. This would be topped off with a rally in Bridgeport, a city where undercutting Schmidt's support even a little bit could win Singh the election.

Within the open plan office space of the Solidarity Connecticut HQ, a couple hundred volunteers had crowded in, eager to see the Senator that was rapidly becoming one of the nation's strongest progressive voices. The situation was similar at the smaller New Haven office, except with a live stream linking Alphonsey to the audience.

Alphonsey stepped out from the crowd where he was mingling with workers, and stepped out in front of everyone, striding atop a makeshift platform.

"Lightning does strike twice, everyone. As I stand here before you all, I'm experiencing a strong case of deja vu. It was only a few short months ago that I stood in a similar office, in front of a crowd made up of America's lifeblood: working mothers, striving students, proud workers, people from all walks of life looking for a fair shake today and a brighter future tomorrow. We knocked on thousands of doors, called countless voters, registered our neighbors, and went on to defeat a corrupt Republican with a flashy smile, a wolf in sheep's clothing. We beat this corporate sock puppet even as Cal Reed won California, even as the Republicans scraped their way to a supermajority. We offered an unapologetic message of progressive change and we won. The same thing happened in Ohio. And the same thing is happening now in Connecticut. As I promised, I have used my mandate to work every day to bring in the change we need.

Just last week I introduced yet another piece of progressive legislation, this time taking on manipulative and predatory corporations like WALMART. Should it pass, we will finally see a fair wage for the employees of large corporations. These have seen their livelihood reduced at every turn by these corporations with their puppets in Washington stamping out any organization of labor. Should it pass, we will finally give a helping hand to a large part of America's working class.

But as I wrote this legislation, I thought of this campaign. I thought of how this change cannot be enacted without the American people acting first. As Valentine has shown me with the numbers, you are acting indeed. Thousands of doors knocked on, thousands of calls made, hundreds of volunteers, and you're only working harder and harder as we barrel toward election day. My heart swells to see you all give up precious hours from your life to send a message that Washington and Wall Street's days of pushing down our working and middle classes are over.

Singh may be a newcomer to this fight that many of you have been waging your entire lives. But I assure you, as an entrepreneur, he understands how no American succeeds on their own. As a business owner, he made strides towards treating workers with the respect and dignity they deserve. As a person of color, he brought a service to his all-too-ften neglected community. More importantly, he is running on a platform that is in line with what this nation needs."

Alphonsey winked.

"And I'll keep him in line in the Senate. But the point is, everyone, we need to send the Ambassador to the Senate, and beat the corporate Republican. As we finish out this campaign, let's finish strong. Keep knocking on doors. Keep registering your neighbors. I will be with you every step of the way. The fate of this nation depends upon it."

There was applause, and Alphonsey went and mingled with the crowd.
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Granluras
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Granluras » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 am

Office of the Governor, Pennsylvania State Capitol, Harrisburg - May 5, 2017

In the halls of the State Capitol, in the Baroque office of the Governor, the senior staff of the Governor were gathered. The Chief of Staff, Deputy Chief of Staff, Press Secretary, Director of Communications, the General Counsel, and a few other senior staffers were gathered in the Office. They waited, moving back and forth in their spots, as Governor Brantley skimmed over some official documents.

“Ahem, Governor?” The Director of Communications, James Chappell, said.

“Yeah, okay. Sorry for keeping you waiting. As you all know we are around a year from the next gubernatorial elections. The premier Republican candidates, especially Glen Anderson, are very popular and are making early strides in order to gain a large electorate to oust me. I still remain popular, but by the day I lose a sizeable electorate that could contribute to my re-election. So I suggest we follow the early bird tactic of the Republicans, and begin formulating a campaign strategy. Alright?” Governor Brantley replied, putting aside the paperwork and clasping his hands.

“Hmm, could be a bit difficult to formulate a strategy right off the bat, as we usually need to professionally compile relevant information, but I’m sure with Google and access to government records we could put something together.” The Chief of Staff, Tal Axelrod, stated, taking out a tablet and opening its internet browser.

“Your high Democratic approval rating is pretty optimistic. 67% of Democrats support of your governorship, which means around...two and a half million Democrats support you. Most governors have won their campaigns with two million votes. Of course, it’s you have to make sure that exactly a hundred, maybe at least ninety-five, percent of your supporters do in fact vote for you. It will take me at least several hours, but I could narrow down your largest pockets of support in Pennsylvania so you could do some preliminary campaigning there.” Deputy Chief of Staff Ron Shapp informed the Governor, browsing the information on his own phone.

“They’ll probably be in the PNCW combined statistical area, the Philly metro, and Harrisburg, with some suburban pockets, like in Indiana County, here and there. But do take the time to gather a more official report.” Governor Brantley replied, turning to his Director of Scheduling, Chloe Wilson, who looked as if she was anxious to speak. “What is it, Chloe?”

“I can schedule some meetings with local Pennsylvanian Democratic leaders so they can give you their endorsements. Could prove beneficial, especially if you meet with leaders in areas which had very slim margins in the 2014 election.” She told the Governor.

“That sounds like a swell idea. And, building off of that, wouldn't it also be good if I setup town hall meetings in those areas, and even narrow Republican districts? I’ve always been critiqued for my lack of bipartisanism, focusing on my opposite-aisle constituents might prove to be a good move.” Governor Brantley suggested, scratching at his chin as he pondered over the idea.

“I don’t see anything wrong with it. And if you give me a moment….I might even be able to find what those exact districts are…” Ron said, opening three simultaneous tabs for his research.

“While Ron does that, is there anything else you all suggest I do?” Governor Brantley inquired.

“Well...you could always work on your bipartisanism in the legislative theatre, in other words sponsoring legislation which has been drafted by bipartisan groups or even working with Republicans to create legislation that both sides can agree on. It will certainly help you work to weaken Glen Anderson’s bipartisan advantage.” James suggested.

“Any in-committee or pending legislation you can suggest?” Governor Brantley asked.

“Well there are some laws that relate to certain electorates that you are weak in. There is House Bill 1032 in the House Agricultural & Rural Affairs Committee that will subsidize the agricultural industry, centering on the funding of modern farming technologies. There's also Senate Bill 876, that is seeking to reduce urban crime. Uh…there's House Bill 1037, that focuses on supplementing education to poor agricultural workers. Those are some” James replied.

“Hmm...okay. Where’s my other Deputy Chief...uh...Ronalda!?” Governor Brantley exclaimed. Moments later a plump Hispanic woman came from the doorway.

“Yes, Mister Brantley?” Ronalda said.

“Can you get me copies of House Bills 1032, 1037, and 876?” Governor Brantley asked.

“Of course, Mister Governor.” Ronalda replied, waddling out of the room.

“Okay,” Ron said, looking up and turning his tablet so Jared could look at the information on screen, “you seem to have poor performance in Butler County, Lancaster County, Franklin County and Cumberland County. Glen Anderson actually just stopped at the third one, so if you can manage to sway the citizens of that constituency back over to your side that will be pretty good.”

Governor Brantley looked at the listed constituencies and nodded. “Chloe, schedule town hall meetings in the capitals of those places along with my endorsement meetings.”

“Will do, Governor.” She replied.

“There's one other major topic you should respond to, although carefully though.” James said.

“The opioid crisis.” Jared said, nodding his head slowly.

“You've primarily been criticized for, and I quote from the Philadelphia Inquirer, leaving policy-making regarding opioids to your ‘cronies’ in the Senate and House Health committees, and not taking on a proper, hands-on approach to deal with the situation via gubernatorial authority.” James told the Governor, reading from an article he had uncovered.

“Alright, well I guess the resolution to that opinion is simple,” Brantley said, “Chloe, schedule a meeting with the big major Democratic and Republican leaders of both houses’ Health committees. Also, have me meet with…the ARPO and the Pennsylvania Medical Society, as they have been major groups in the opioid crisis. As this is a more important subject, I’d like if you could schedule these meetings prior to everything else I’m having you schedule, mkay?”

“I understand, Governor.” Chloe replied, putting everything down on a calendar.

“Alright…” Jared said, taking out a slip of paper and writing on it, filling up the entire front side with various notes and annotations. At the top he added a brief signature and a title, campaign strategy notes. “I believe that covers everything, this strategy will be sufficient until the official electoral season. I’ll see you tomorrow morning for our regularly scheduled meetings. Thank you.”

“Anytime, Governor.” Ron said, exiting the office.

“See ya.” James replied, leaving too.

And several other goodbyes followed. Governor Brantley was left alone in his office again, peering over the heavily inked slip of loose-leaf paper. He took out a computer next, logged into it, opened Word, and sat back as he put together sentences for the various speeches he’d had to make in the following week.

“Could always use a speechwriter, but then you run the risk of having your words being rejected because ‘they’re not truly mine’, or pen it yourself and be called a poor orator. Ah, this ought to be fun.” He said to himself, sighing heartily as he put together the first sentences of his message to the opioid movement.

CONFRONTING THE OPIOID CRISIS
Pennsylvania State Capitol, Harrisburg - Later the same day

As the Senate and House chambers were quite literally in the same building, only several minutes away, Governor Brantley was able to make the request for a meeting with the heads of the legislative healthcare committees within the very same day. With just three phone calls from Ronalda the meeting was set up.

Eighteen minutes had passed. Governor Brantley sat at his desk, surfing across the web on his computer as the time passed. The shuffling of feet outside and the muffled sound of voices alerted Jared to the arrival of the legislators, finally. He exited out of some of his tabs and took out his campaign strategy notes. The four committee leaders entered after, all carrying binders with them.

“Hello, I’m glad you made the time to meet with me today.” Governor Brantley said to the legislators, getting up and sliding over two more chairs for the politicians.

Kurtis Wyatt (R; Chairman of the House Health Committee), Alfred Moric (D; Ranking member of the House Health Committee), Sung Jocelyn (D; Chairwoman of the Senate Health & Human Services Committee), and Elliot Charlotte (R; Ranking member of the Senate Health & Human Services Committee) were the summoned legislators, high-profile members of their committees, relevant to the opioid crisis.

“No problem, Mister Governor. We all are glad to make time for you, sir.” Chairwoman Sung said, taking a seat.

“I’m glad that you want to discuss the opioid crisis. It’s definitely something you should cover as Governor.” Senator Elliott said, sitting at the chair on the furthest left.

“Yes, I’ve decided it’s a topic worth endowing with gubernatorial attention, especially as it’s going to become a major talking point in the upcoming electoral season.” Governor Brantley replied, returning the smiles of the congressmen.

“What exactly do you want to discuss with us? There are many topics to cover, as I hope you uncovered in any research you might have done prior to our arrival.” Senator Jocelyn inquired.

“I just want to start off with basic legislative discussions regarding anti-opioid legislat—”

“If I may interrupt,” Representative Moric said, “I think I and my colleagues can agree when we say we're not exactly calling for anti-opioid laws. Opioids have their uses, they're pain relief medicine. What we’re calling for is better described as opioid…control.”

The other legislators nodded.

“Alright. I apologise. Then let me restate, I’d like to start off with basic legislative discussions regarding opioid control legislation. However, I do want us to reach an agreement by the end of this, not just talk about what opioids are and that they're bad, use that as publicity, and move on. Let this actually be efficacious.” Governor Brantley said, speaking with an honest tone that appealed to the legislators.

“Very noble of you, Governor.” Representative Wyatt said.

“I suppose we could discuss HB-456-R.” Senator Charlotte suggested, though based off of her face it seemed as if it would be an unlikely choice.

“That's an unlikely choice,” Senator Jocelyn said, “HB-456-R was a weak bill. That's why it was rejected by Kevin’s committee, twice.” She turned to the Governor. “456 was a bill drafted by two members of the House Health Committee. They were working with two other Democratic representatives and a Republican senator, so it was favorited by some as it was seen as a bicameral, bipartisan opioid bill. However, when it was submitted for Committee review it was revealed to be full of loopholes and bipartisan appeasements that ended up devolving into doublespeak. While many have claimed some sections of it are salvageable, the other consensus is that the salvageable parts are so few and far between that a revival of 456 would just be a new bill altogether.”

“Uhuh, I see. May I ask why such a bill was suggested by you, Senator Charlotte?” Jared inquired.

“Well, I am aware of the poor salvageability, but I was just thinking…456 was preceded by two other similar bills. Optimistic during drafting, poor upon review, but seemed salvageable after rejection. So…”

“You want to hybridise them?” Moric interjected.

“Y-yeah. Of course with some tweaks, their legal terminology is somewhat outdated.” Senator Charlotte replied.

Everyone in the room became silent as they began thinking over this proposal. Governor Brantley was the one to break the silence.

“Would such a plan be feasible? It sounds like something I could personally get behind. But a simple majority of the Legislature is another deal.” Governor Brantley asked.

“It depends on what the bill reads as. I know the texts of the bill Senator Charlotte is referring to, SB-264-R and HB-1364-R from the last session. Combining their original texts doesn't seem to produce a better bill. We'd have to go all the way through, creating a full-fledged hybrid bill, before being able to say whether or not it's a good proposal.” Senator Jocelyn answered.

“What else can we do other than the hybrid bill proposal?” Governor Brantley inquired, looking over the faces of the congressmen to see if any of them had an inkling.

A period of silence returned, but in less than several moments Representative Moric’s face lit up.

“I have an idea. An idea which might be really effective and popular.” He said.

“Go on.” Jared said.

“There are two major think tanks that have conducted well-received research into the Pennsylvanian opioid crisis and legislative response. If we could get them to assist in another survey that will compile accurate, far-reaching results and incorporate that into a bill to respond to the crisis with statistics…well basically we’ll have a unique bill that will most likely be based off of enough accurate information it will be efficacious.”

The four other politicians looked at each other with indifferent faces.

“It sounds like a good secondary plan.” Senator Charlotte said.

“What think tanks do you suggest?” Governor Brantley inquired.

“The Pennsylvanian Drug Crisis Agency and the Allentown Medical Research Institute.” Representative Moric answered.

“Alright...I want you to discuss these proposals among your respective committees in bicameral sessions. I’m sure you can do that?” Governor Brantley instructed them.

“Yeah, sounds reasonable.” Representative Wyatt replied.

“Then, draft prototype versions of these bills - the hybrid one, and the think tank-based one - and then submit them for reading and then committee review. We’ll see which one survives.” Governor Brantley continued.

“Is that all you want to cover today, sir?” Senator Jocelyn asked.

“Well, I suppose we could cover justice reform. The current aggressive, incarcerate-everyone prison system has been widely criticized. The country has over two million inmates, the state over fifty thousand. About time we reform it to better and more precisely incarcerate and rehabilitate criminals. Hm?” Governor Brantley replied.

“Pretty ambitious suggestion, Governor,” Senator Charlotte stated, “maybe you should deal with that after we cover the opioid bills?”

“I suppose, it’s better to cover one major topic at a time.” Jared said.

“Alright...so Senator Charlotte and Jocelyn, along with whatever committeemen they chose, will begin drafting a opioid bill incorporating the contents of SB-264-R HB-1364-R, and SB-456-R; I, Representative Wyatt, and the committeemen we choose will begin liasing with the PDCA and AMRI to draft a statistical opioid control bill. Then, you can announce your endorsement and cooperation with our committees in during the lawmaking process of both bills. Sound like a plan?” Representative Moric summarized for everyone in the room.

“That sounds about right.” Senator Jocelyn said.

“Sounds good, thank you for your time.” Governor Jared replied, reaching across his desk and shaking everyone’s hands.

Kevin Wyatt stood up and grabbed his belongings, “I hope something comes of this before everything becomes muddled by the electoral season, goodday.”

“I do, too.” Jared agreed.

“Thank you for this bipartisan opportunity, Governor.” Moric said, stepping out of the office.

“Goodbye.” Senator Jocelyn said, walking out.

“Take care, Governor.” Senator Charlotte said, concluding the goodbye session.

Jared saw the Senator out of his office and closed the door when she left. Jared walk back to his desk and gazed at the clock on his table.

“Hmm…six. Time to clock out.”

Jared grabbed his coat, briefcase, collecting some paperwork and put it into it, and walked out.

Separated by two walls, constructed to be the outermost office in the Governor’s Office was the Director of Scheduling’s Office. Chloe was working overtime, emailing and calling different men, women, and organizations to schedule various meeting between the Governor and them. She had to use a lot persuasion and had even broken a sweat after an hour.

“How does…three PM…er May 9 sound, Mister Vilseck?” Chloe spoke, on call with the DNC Chairman, ex-Governor.

Jared walked in and stopped at the doorway, peering from it at Chloe while she worked.

“Ok, good. I'll let Jared know. Have a good night, Mister Vilseck.” Chloe said, hanging up and typing the meeting date into a calendar in her computer. She lifted her head and saw the Governor.

“Oh, hello Mister Brantley.” Chloe said to him.

“Setting up my various meetings?” He said.

“Yeah, Vilseck was the last one. Your meeting with Vilseck, the Pennsylvanian Democratic Committee, and Ely Kynaston will happen the day after you meet with the ARPO and PAMED to discuss the opioid crisis. The third and fourth days, May 10 and 11, will be your town hall meetings. Two, Butler County and Lancaster County, the tenth, and another two, Franklin County and Cumberland County, the eleventh. Then I guess you can have your governor’s speech in the Legislature on May 12 to endorse the opioid bills.” Chloe informed the Governor, pouring over the schedule she had set up.

“Good. Well, you have a good weekend, Chloe. I'll see you next week for the meetings.” Jared replied, walking out of the Office.

“Yeah…see you later,” Chloe said, her eyes drifting down to her clock, “oh crap! I forgot to pick up my daughter.”

Chloe grabbed her coat and purse and bolted out of be Office, emptying it for the weekend.

Governor’s Residence, Harrisburg - May 8, 2017 - 12:14 AM

Governor Brantley stood in front of a body-length mirror, scrutinizing the details of his suit and tie. Today was his meeting with the ARPO and PAMED, scheduled for 12:30 AM to 1:30 PM, with an additional half-hour prepared for overtime.

Jared’s wife, Renee, came up from behind him and hugged him, looking at his reflection.

“You look fine, honey. Plus, the press corps is hyper-critical of your words and politics more than your attire. Just say the right things until you get behind closed doors with the ARPO and PAMED.” She said.

“Yeah…your right. I-I'll do fine. I'll have Ron, my advisors, and counsels with me. They'll help steer me down the right path.” Jared said, taking a deep breath.

“Governor,” a bodyguard said from the doorway, “the motorcade is ready.”

“Alright, I'll be right down.” He replied.

“Go get them, honey.” Renee said, handing Jared his briefcase.

I'll see you at six.” Jared said, taking the briefcase and exiting the bedroom.

He was escorted out of the Residence by two bodyguards, and carefully placed into the main car of the Governor’s Motorcade. After a quick, final security check the motorcade rolled out of the Residence. The location of the meeting was at the Pennsylvania Medical Center primary office in Harrisburg, which provided a quick, ten minute ride. On his way to the meeting, Jared deliberated with Ron and the advisors - James Boucher, Osmon Teodros, Zoey Phaneuf, and Timothy Colon - that had came along. They had gone over what to say in the pre-meeting press conference, what topics would be covered in the meeting, then brought it to the attention of the Governor that the post-meeting conference would be discussed at the office, not during the drive.

When every point had been covered and everyone had a basic understanding of what to expect, they arrived. Several bodyguards opened the limousine’s doors and helped the passengers out. Governor Brantley was escorted through the parking lot to the door, politely acknowledging the ravenous press. Brantley was brought up to the second floor, where a hospital waiting room connected to a rectangular exam room had both been refurbished to act as the press room and the meeting place, respectively.

He, his staff, and the representatives sent from the ARPO and PAMED - Ignace Simon, Tyler Sharpe, Christonaldo Benitez (ARPO), Doctor Marcus Coddington, and Doctor Shigeo Hamasaki (PAMED) - sat down at the wide, thirty foot table where several microphones were lined up in even spaces. The three groups, State, ARPO, and PAMED, sat down, with Jared in the middle.

“Hello, everyone.” Jared said.

“Hello.” The journalists replied in unison.

“We have...five minutes of time allocated for press questions before we continue with the meeting. So, everyone, if you have questions now is the time you may ask them.” The Governor informed the crowd, citing the schedule he had in front of him.

The journalists immediately began barking, trying to get noticed by the Governor first so they could slip in their question. Jared skimmed the faces of the crowd for a moment, and at random selected one.

“Yes, you. What is your question?” He asked.

“What exactly is it that you seek to accomplish through this meeting? It sounds like a generic question, but this type of meeting - a big politician meeting with advocates and interacting with a key voting bloc - has happened multiple times in Pennsylvanian history. What makes this meeting any different, how are you going to make this meeting any different?” The journalist, a member of Trib Total Media, inquired.

“That is a good question. The way I am going to make this different be different, stand out from the duplicitous meetings, hiding behind husks of honesty of prior administrations is that I want to make this go somewhere. I don’t want to simply sit down, have each side acknowledge there’s a problem, state would could be done, then go home knowing damn well that what we just did was a waste of time and just a way to gain clout. I want to sit down, acknowledge there’s a problem, and spend the time we have finding ways to do more than what we are already doing. There were nearly three thousand opioid-related deaths last year, and the state government has several different extant programs that claim they exist to stop that. So evidently we need to try something else, something more efficacious, and I will figure out what that is today with the help of ARPO and the Pennsylvania Medical Society.” Governor Jared answered extensively, although managing to not bore but intrigue the journalists.

“Wow...thank you.” The journalist replied.

“Your welcome, next?”

The journalists began barking again, ferociously trying to get chosen.

“You.” The Governor chose, again at random.

“Why did you speak with ARPO and PAMED specifically, out of countless other opioid control advocacy groups in America and Pennsylvania?” A Philadelphia Inquirer journalist asked.

“There are many other choices out there, I will agree. However, ARPO is a very communal advocacy group, many of their members and even leaders are made up of average Americans and Canadians who have themselves suffered or witnessed someone else suffer because of opioid abuse. They’re not underpowered either, and they have made noticeable gains in their activism. Secondly, PAMED is a premier medical association in Pennsylvania, and was also chosen since it is logical to deliberate with native Pennsylvanians on the topic of opioid abuse in Pennsylvania. That...about sums it up. Anyone else?” Governor Brantley answered, peering at his staff, the ARPO representatives, and the PAMED representatives, who all seemed comfortable with the Governor’s words.

The conference went on for three more minutes, and the Governor made it through six other questions, with his associates from ARPO, PAMED, and his administration adding on whenever they felt comfortable to do so. When he was informed that it was time for their meeting to start, the Governor got up and followed the group into the makeshift meeting room adjacent to the waiting room. The journalists were excused for the next hour as the meeting proceeded.

“You said some very nice, and honest things out there, Governor. You really are set on making a difference.” Tyler Sharpe said to Jared.

“Ah, thank you, Mister Sharpe.”

“Has everyone got their materials?” Doctor Coddington asked, checking through his binders, Manilla folders, and turning on his laptop.

The group replied in the affirmative, setting down and organizing their belongings.

“So, have we in mind what to discuss first off?” Ron asked.

All three parties gave inconclusive looks.

“Well just pick a random topic and see where we go from there, hm?” Jared suggested.

“Good enough.” Ignace replied.

“There is one thing we could talk about, and it partially builds off of the first question Governor Brantley answered in the conference,” Doctor Hamasaki said, “state, non-governmental, and even federal authorities have set up multiple programs to address the opioid crisis. In Pennsylvania you have the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, the Patient Non-Opioid Directive, the Clinical Pathway program, and several regional drug abuse education programs. Nonetheless, Pennsylvania’s opioid-related death rate is around forty percent higher than the national average. These systems were perfect on paper, that’s why the Legislature, the preceding governors, and medical associations, like PAMED, started them. However, in action they have become faulty in some parts. We need to isolate those faulty gears and reform them.”

“Yes, you are correct, Doctor Hamasaki. However, the easy part is saying there are faults, the hard part is actually isolating them.” Jared replied to Shigeo’s statement.

“Well, that was something we had planned to say even before the conference. We have done the research.” Doctor Hamasaki said, passing around three-page packets around the table.

“As you can see from the research laid out in these packets, the main problem with the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program is a lack of availability and the need for greater information. In Pennsylvania, the rural areas are not properly technologically integrated. They have slower internet, they have less Internet users, they have more old-fashioned lifestyles. We need to find ways to integrate rural medical facilities, even if it means just modernizing the local clinics and letting everyone else catch up. If the PDMP can reach these places, then its efficiency and accuracy can be improved.” Doctor Hamasaki explained to everyone, turning his paper towards them and pointing at the paragraphs that contained relevant data.

“Uh, Doctor Hamasaki,” Osmon - one of Jared’s men - interrupted, “I had come across a map of opioid overdoses per hundred thousand by country while researching prior to this meeting. The map clearly shows that rural areas are much more...careful with drugs than urban areas. The Pittsburgh Metro is ripe with overdoses, averaging at 51.2 per hundred thousand, which would give it the third highest death rate, sixth highest death rate when including the counties of the Metro. The average for the rurals is like...fourteen.”

“Yes, I am aware of that. But you must understand, Mister Teodros, the fact that there are deaths prove there is a problem. If you don’t mind my asking, what religion are you, Mister Teodros?” Doctor Hamasaki replied.

“Um, I am a Muslim.” Osmon replied.

“In 2016, the FBI recorded…” Doctor Hamasaki started, quickly typing into his computer the related FBI statistics for his example, “around 381 anti-Islamic hate crimes. Based off the 6,121 total hate crimes that year, one in every sixteen hate crime was anti-Islamic. Since...ninety-four percent of hate crimes were non-Islamic in nature, should we focus on them, not others?”

Doctor Hamasaki let this example get processed by Osmon, and then continued with the original topic.

“So, if we are to integrate the rural and small communities of Pennsylvania, we could help focus on the problem in the lesser known regions of the Commonwealth. Well-known names such as Pittsburgh, Allentown, and Scranton will be addressed as equally as less known ones like Aspers, Everson, and Fairfield.”

Already now the conversation was becoming lengthy and verbose. Each side through long, intelligent words at each other, read from lengthy studies, and took up minutes with their soliloquies. At multiple moments Governor Jared even zoned out, with the cacophony of words merging into white noise. For the sake of brevity, the next quarter-hour of the meeting will be summarized as a lengthy analysis and multilateral reforming of the PDMP which included the thorough conceptualization of a program of rural technological integration and digitalization of hospital visits and records.

The meeting then evolved into a discussion of opioid education, focusing on awareness among the youth and in adolescent populations. Plans for PDAs, public events for awareness, and outreach programs to educate the public more thoroughly on the opioid crisis and methods of response. Overall, by the fifty-minute mark there had been plenty discussed. There was a mutual feeling of achievement on all sides, and with their remaining minutes a summary was put together for the post-meeting conference.

“...then we could end off with a classic ‘confidant in the future’ statement, hmm?” Cristonaldo suggested for the summative speech.

“Yeah, that sounds good.” Ron said, typing in a conclusion along the lines of Cristonaldo’s suggestion.

Jared looked at his wristwatch.

“1:28.” He said.

“Wow...that was very...productive,” Doctor Coddington said, “thank you all for your input and assistance. I’m sure we will achieve great things because of today.”

“Who’s ready to face those jackals out there?” James joked.

Ron squirmed at James’ joke and quickly jumped at the recorder and turned it off.

“We...we were still being recorded.” Ron explained awkwardly, sitting back.

“Oh...uh, smart move.” Governor Brantley said. “Let us get a move on.”

Jared, followed by Ron, his counsel, ARPO’s people, and PAMED’s people, left the meeting room and returned to the wide table in front of the dozens of seats filled with journalists. Jared sat at his centered seat and everyone else sat at where they were before.

“Hello everyone, I hope you made the best of your hour.” Governor Jared said to the journalists.

“We too.” One of them said, prompting laughter.

“Hah, well...best to get down to business. We will take your questions.” Jared replied.

A cycle of boisterous journalists and one being chosen to ask a question repeated that continued for the next six minutes ensued, with a dozen questions being responded to by everyone. Then, after enough questions were taken, Governor Jared stood up and raised the microphone to his mouth.

“Ladies and gentlemen of the press, I will now give my finishing statement.” He said, waiting for all eyes and ears to be focused on him.

“During this meeting with the representatives of ARPO and PAMED, I and my colleagues have made significant strides to address the opioid crisis. We have discussed ways to fix existing government initiatives directed towards solving the opioid crisis, we have discussed new initiatives, and we have brought closer the Commonwealth’s government and the opioid advocacy community. I am confidant what has happened here today will ultimately be beneficial and will let us see a drop in the deaths caused by opioids here in our state. Thank you all for taking the time to come here, and I hope you have good days.” Governor Brantley said to the crowd, reading verbatim from the speech written during the meeting.

Governor’s Residence, Harrisburg - May 8, 2017 - 8:32 PM

Several hours later, back at his home, Jared sat quietly in his bed. His eyes were closed and he still had his suit on, with only his shoes off. From the connected bathroom, Renee walked into the room and observed Jared for a moment. She then came over and set beside him.

“You okay, Jared?” She asked.

“It was only one hour and seven hours ago, but it was exhausting.” Jared groaned, lifting his hand and rubbing his face.

“Well it was a pretty important event. You pledged to use everything at your disposal to solve the crisis, a worn-out pledge, and to solve it in a year. Then of course you need to persuade two men and the brain of the Pennsylvanian Democrats to endorse you tomorrow. Then host town hall meetings in places where you have poor support. You got a very stressful week ahead of you.” Renee said.

“Is that supposed to be comforting...or...what?” Jared replied.

“Yeah, I don't even know what that was supposed to be,” Renee admitted, “eh, good luck.”

Renee kissed Jared and then walked back out of the room.

“....What?” He said.

The day was now over. Jared was down with the first part of his early-bird campaign strategy. He had came to a confident conclusion with two different professional groups regarding the opioid crisis, and he was sure he would see beautiful poll results in the following weeks. So now, he waited quietly in the comfort of his bedchambers for the date to change and for his motorcade to assemble again, taking him to the offices of his old boss, Vilseck, his party bosses, the Pennsylvanian Democratic Committee, and the third biggest name in Pennsylvania, Ely Kynaston.

Or when my fingers stop hurting from all the typing
Last edited by Granluras on Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:17 pm

Congressman Glen Anderson
@AndersonPA17

I am pleased the governor is finally treating the opioid crisis with the urgency it deserves, if I can offer any assist please don’t hesitate to ask.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Tumblrena
Senator

Founded: Mar 20, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tumblrena » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Sam McGareth
@Five-Oh

Governor in Pennsylvania acting the right way. Plans not Emergencies! Observe Orient Decide Act!

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 pm

Naples 45
New York City
New York

Marli hung her head.

"Apologize publically...apologize..., dat'll be somethin' dat Kramer will relish. But I suppose if its in da name of trust, you are right. I'll make sure to write something up, maybe hold a quick meeting...dose whatchamacallits...uhh...press conferences! Yes, dose. I also plan on campaigning across da state, leave da city you know. I don't have too much money but I have connections wit a couple of friends up north. I no dere aren't many Republicans in da city so da probably will work better."

She rubbed her temple.

"What about Lotto? How do I work wit him, he's so far out dere but he's taking da right from me. Ion even know if I can win my own primary right now if he keeps eatin' up da support of da right-wing people."

Tumblrena
Senator

Founded: Mar 20, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tumblrena » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:01 pm

New York City, New York State
Naples 45
Sunday
7 May

"I am not an expert on politics" McGareth says.

"However I do know about profiling and it is useful in circumstances like these. The first step is always to find and hire the best people that you can find. You should do this before going too much in public. You said you do not have much money but do not be afraid to spend if you are committed to win. If you are not you should reanalyze. You must analyze to be effective. You learn who you can work with and who you cannot at all. The people who you have no chance with should be ignored. You want to make that a very small group but it is not worth trying to do anything for them when they will never come to you. That wastes resources and they should be removed from the dataset. However if you look closely you will find that number is very few for the ones who will not come to you in one area at least. You need to find who will be a target that you can bring to you. I do not know if the primaries are open here or not but you must take that into account. When you have groups you can try to get you must cross analyze. If you take two people you can always find something in common if you have enough information. You and me are very different for example and have very different backgrounds but with enough information we could find something in common. You are a performer now I know. Maybe you were a cheerleader in school before you became a professional? I played football in school. That could be a connection that you would not expect. However you need information and data to make it work. I am only guessing because I do not enough enough data. Data is a currency that you can exchange in a rate that makes it more valuable than dollars if the people who acquire it for you are skilled. You also have your own knowledge. The people of New York are your people. You know them more than I know them. Use that knowledge for you but do not forget how appearances can be deceiving." McGareth says.

Granluras
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Granluras » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:16 pm

Jared Bartley
@jbartPAGOV

I thank everyone for the wave of support I have received for my approach to the opioid crisis nationwide. Look forward to some major legislative and executive responses to the drug crisis plaguing Pennsylvania. Keep your faith in me, Pennsylvanians!

RETWEETSFAVORITE

6:42 pm - 8 May 17
Last edited by Granluras on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:14 pm

Johnson PAC(New England Branch) Attack Ad Airing in Connecticut

Meet Amb. Singh the reincarnation of President Winston

He corruptly bought an ambassadorship from President Winston's administration, with no diplomatic qualifications, and was extensively involved in the corruption of the Winston administration.

A vote for Singh...
*Picture fades to

President Winston

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:26 pm

New Jersey Primary Election Report

This Tuesday voters went to the polls to cast their ballots in primary races for members of all three major parties and a large number of offices, but all eyes were drawn most of all to the race for the Democratic nomination for Governor. The contest between former Mayor of Jersey City and Secretary of the Interior Tony Schlang and former union leader and current Mayor of Trenton Joh Stansky made waves nationally from the starting gun after a widely watched and reported on first primary debate that included Stansky telling the former Secretary not to "hold his panties" and Schlang referring to his opponent as "baldy" with open insults flying back and forth in the Jersey brawl. Since then the campaign never got any nicer, with Stansky buying billboards accusing Schlang of being a rapist and Schlang turning to colorful language to describe his "garbage" opponent but even the most exciting races have to come to an end.

The end didn't come quickly with results trickling in painfully slowly from polling places and no clear winner visible as the two candidates jumped back and forth over each other for the lead as the number of counted ballots increased. One of the closest races in New Jersey history is even more remarkable because many thought that it had basically been decided several weeks ago.

Schlang had a fair amount of national name recognition with a television stint, an attempted Presidential run, a colorful Secretary tenure including an odd foreign policy negotiation in the Pacific and a public national moment calling into Ellen Walton at the Progressive National Convention while Stansky was mostly unknown outside of Trenton. That name recognition gap closed and eventually even reversed in the course of the race as Stansky made national news with serieses of dramatic and radical policy proposals that soon dipped their toes into the controversial. This came to a head in the surprising surge into national publicity for the "Tussle in Trenton" debate between Stansky and similarly controversial opposite Senator Peter Amaras of the Republican Party. In an event that was watched far beyond New Jersey the result was hard to call less than a disaster for Stansky as analysts broadly concurred that the debate quickly turned into Amaras pummeling the Mayor across a variety of topics. A debate loss was an unfortunate hit but what blew up the event were two specific happenings where Stansky ducked out of the Overton window. A feud on Israel where Stansky had already been controversial in the past saw him proclaim on national television that the Israeli Defense Force was the "world's largest military terrorist organization" and that Israel was an "apartheid state" among other claims. The night would only get more troublesome for Stansky when a fight with Amaras over "seizing the means of production" helped to push viral a video from a TNS interview where Stansky promised a plan to seize land from businesses who attempted to relocate out of state and give it to unions.

After the debate many political experts proclaimed Stansky's campaign to be basically dead in the water with the more optimistic believing he could possibly reemerge for a future Senate bid but the Mayor refused to lie down and take his proclaimed political death. Stansky kicked his campaign into high gear outcampaigning Schlang across the state in dramatic rallies and even pulling in outside support via Governor Aleravez of New Mexico while using funds from union sources and small donors to push out advertisements. With Stansky pushing hard to recover a May surprise saw Schlang harm his own campaign. Schlang offered Stansky a hundred thousand dollars to drop out of the race and resign as Mayor in what he would later call a "joke" but the either badly done humor or attempted bribery brought him under investigation for violating New Jersey law, which Stansky immediately went on the attack over as well as going full bore in the final weeks accusing Schlang of rape due to former allegations against him which were eventually dropped.

The race was an anything goes tossup going into the polls, but now that they're coming back we can take a look at what happened and what it might mean.

What was a surprise to many right off the bat were the turnout numbers. With two heavily controversial candidates on the ballot most experts predicted that few would make it to the polls, but on a beautiful Spring day voters came to the Democratic polls in droves to make their choice with overall turnout the highest in the Democratic primary in over thirty years since the famed 13-candidate mass race of 1981 where the victor only barely broke 25% of the vote. The assumptions of low turnout because of low enthusiasm for the candidates wasn't completely wrong however. Exit polling flipped that assumption on its head as a significant plurality of voters in the primary said that they went to the polls to vote against the opposing candidate rather than for the candidate that they voted for. Voters who said they were voting "for" their candidate were much more likely to vote for Stansky but Schlang polled better by a smaller margin for voters who said that they were voting "against" the other candidate. High enthusiasm voters went Stansky's way by an even larger margin but the low enthusiasm "reluctant" voters were strong for Schlang.

The numbers in the primary didn't happen in a vacuum, though. Whether Democrats like it or not, the new reality of the Progressive party has made primary success more difficult for more left wing Democratic candidates by an amount that has varied. When Progressive candidates are running on the same primary day the left wing pool that a more liberal Democratic candidate has to draw from is reduced, giving an edge to a more moderate contender. In the first major primary battle since the 2016 election, with the Connecticut election not giving any insight after the more left wing Ambassador Singh left the Democrats to join the Progressives political scientists as well as voters were eager to see what the effect would be.

The indicators would seem like good news for Stansky. The Progressive primary was less active and failed to draw nearly as much attention as the Democratic in state and apparently failed to generate enthusiasm. What publicity it did receive mostly was built around controversy over Huffington Post journalist Samantha Soberman, who would end up being the winner and first transgender nominee for a major party in a Governor's race after taking home a plurality against a collection of various first time candidates. But the election wasn't even close to as big an event as the one for the Democrats as it drew in less than twenty thousand voters, a small fraction of the number who voted in the Republican and Democratic primaries. The system in New Jersey however was not uninvolved in the primaries. With a semi closed system crossing over from one party to another to vote in a primary election a much more difficult task than in other states, as any Progressive or Democrat who wanted to cross party lines had to do so months before the election and before much of the late campaign action.

Going back to refocus on the Democratic race demographics told a back and forth story across the board. In a race where both male candidates repeatedly attacked the other over alleged sexism and where both promised to put together cabinets of equal gender ratios a noticeable gender gap did emerge, but not a very broad one. Men favored Schlang on their ballots and women Stansky, but neither by huge margins and with differences when digging deeper into the categories. The primarily male demographic of registered union members went strongly in Stansky's favor while African-American women voted for Schlang. Stansky's strongest female margin turned out among Hispanic women while he took white women by only a slim margin. White women would end up being one of the most split demographics in the entire election. While Schlang won over most voters who said they were voting against the opposing candidate white women who voted Stansky were the biggest of his demographics to say that their vote was one against Schlang instead of for the Mayor. Simultaneously white women who voted Schlang similarly stated in high but slightly smaller numbers that their vote was against Stansky instead of for Schlang. White women were the demographic that was least enthusiastic about their candidate across the board for both Schlang and Stansky voters.

Some of that enthusiasm may have bled over into the higher than expected turnout in the Republican primary, where embattled and generally unpopular incumbent Melissa Hotchkiss did not face a major challenger. While exit polls showed various trends one of the most potentially significant indicators was in the votes of unaffiliated women. New Jersey primaries block party registered voters from switching shortly before the election unaffiliated voters can select a party to participate in the primary of on the day of the election. White female voters not registered with a party and particularly those who self identified as "moderate", a block that Democrats can typically do well in in New Jersey, chose to vote in the Republican primary and for Hotchkiss in much higher numbers than predicted and polled similarly to women who voted in the Democratic primary in expressing dissatisfaction with both Democratic candidates.

On racial lines the vote was closely contested. Stansky made significant inroads with Hispanic voters taking that demographic and chipped away a substantial portion of the black vote, but saw African Americans end up casting ballots for the more establishment Schlang by large margins. Schlang also took home a win among Asian American voters, a modest but substantial demographic in New Jersey. Jewish voters broke heavily in Schlang's favor. By wealth the divide was somewhat more clear than other contested demographics, with Schlang taking high and middle-high income voters by comfortable margins, with Stansky winning handily among poorer voters though with a larger contest among the bottom income bracket where Schlang put up a stronger and closer contest. Professional workers went heavily in Schlang's direction, and industrial workers overwhelming to Stansky, though a small demographic with the split among other blue collar workers a closer affair, while Stansky took unemployed voters by major margins. Along religious lines Stansky won a decisive majority among religious "nones" as well as atheist voters while Schlang had a more modest edge with other groups winning both Catholics and Protestants but with a smaller margin for the second driven by a loss to Stansky among white Protestants with Jews as mentioned voting for their goy.

The Jersey map showed some noticeable dividing lines even while battles within each candidate's winning counties were tightly fought. Both candidates performed very strongly in their home cities, Schlang as the former mayor of Jersey City and Stansky as the current mayor of Trenton with vote margins in each exceeding usual "home field advantage" polling, with Stansky's margins in Trenton slightly superior. Stansky's voters mostly encircled Schlang's as he took a somewhat surprising win in Atlantic City and modestly outperformed Schlang in the more rural southern region of the state, while taking Camden County but not the city itself. Schlang was strongest closest to New York around Jersey City and Newark, but also polled better in the northwestern rural regions of the state than the southern, pushing an angle of a north/south split into the east/west divide in voting.

In a complex race packed to the brim with criss crossing voter motivations and demographics, even what would have been expected to be a clean vote split on self referenced ideological lines still had its own quirk to add. Voters who self identified as "conservative" or "moderate" went overwhelmingly in Schlang's direction while self identified "liberals" went strongly to Stansky's side. Voters who self identified as "very liberal" bucked the fairly even trend of vote margin by level of ideology by favoring Stansky still but by smaller margins than "liberal" voters. The split was slightly more pronounced among women who self identified as "very liberal" who still favored Stansky but by a much slimmer amount than "very liberal" men, who voted for him in bigger numbers than "liberal" men.

But no matter how far the results get broken down in the end only the final gross matters.

Sec. Anthony Schlang Esq.-49.83%
May. Joh Stansky-49.51%
Write In-0.66%

With an abnormally small number of options available on the ballot in a rare one on one rare, nearly three thousand Democratic voters decided to make their own choice and write in their own choice for Governor keeping either candidate from reaching a majority. Exit polls for those voters indicated that if forced to vote for one of the candidates they would have chosen Schlang by a small margin but a small sample size makes the data unreliable.

Questions over who the decisive bloc was and what it means for the future of either the candidates themselves or the race are certain to be asked in post ops by both campaigns and their strategists as well as independent observers and strategists of other parties. With a surprising late endorsement from Josephine Stafford possibly shifting the chains Stansky took a bite out of African American numbers but saw them still go heavily for the more establishment Schlang over the more revolutionary Stansky in a way that mirrored Robert Danders's struggles to pick up African American votes in the primaries and even general election. While the gap in the African American vote was easily enough to swing the election many other demographics or shifts could be seen as decisive depending on the onlooker or the point they are trying to prove. White female voters went for Stansky but not in the margins he hoped to put up letting some question if Stansky's own missteps beginning with his "panties" comment in the first debate hindered an edge. Alternatively the question could be asked whether Stansky's aggressive and relentless attacks late in the game on the withdrawn rape allegations against Schlang soured some male voters towards him. Schlang's advantage with Catholics on the other hand could be raised as suggesting that Stansky could have benefited from making sexual morality a bigger point earlier in the campaign and Stansky's win with Hispanic women could be a counter against arguing that Schlang's attacks on Stansky's alleged sexism had a major effect. Another demographic bloc with the Asian vote which went mostly ignored in a race that saw plenty of shout outs to various minorities could be looked at as a missed opportunity. In a race with such close margins there are dozens of possible ways to second guess or applaud a strategy but the view now turns to the future.

Tony Schlang has some cause for optimism and some cause for pessimism with the state Democratic party having the same. The pending investigation against him is an obvious worry but politically he has some reason to take heart. A moderate making it out of the primary to face off against an unpopular incumbent is usually a good recipe for a win historically and there is some hope for Democrats in the low numbers of the Progressive primary. Progressive strength in the heavily white irreligious and sparsely populated New England might not transfer down with any success for the more urban minority and semi religious Middle Atlantic without Walton on the ballot and the smaller the Progressive vote the less split that Schlang has to deal with and the higher number of voters Hotchkiss has to cobble together.

Of course there is cause for pessimism too. The more brutal a primary gets the harder it can be to bring back the other side's supporters into the fold and there's no way of knowing if Stansky won't push his supporters to stay home out of spite or even consider an independent run. Hotchkiss was free to bank her donations over an easy primary while Schlang had to spend big on the airwaves to push back against his opponent leaving him in a worse place starting off. Perhaps the biggest question is how permanent the shift in unaffiliated female voters is going to be going into the general. If Stansky's attacks stick and white women who went for Hotchkiss in the primaries stay with the Republican then Schlang has a serious uphill battle against a female candidate though he might take heart in those voters drifting back towards him once Stansky's attacks start to fade into more distant memory.

The harder question to answer is about the future of Joh Stansky. On the hand of a detractor the Mayor failed to defeat an opponent who had being publicly lambasted over alleged sexual assault and was under investigation for violating bribery law during the election. On the hand of a promoter the Mayor came within fractions of winning a majority of New Jersey Democrats over to a platform farther left than almost any political strategist would think possibly feasible and all while spurning corporate donations. Stansky has name recognition on a national level that's much more than the Mayor of a city of his size would usually be able to get and even with a large amount of that recognition not being especially positive he has an animated core of supporters and that base is spreading. Stansky's "Medicare for All" invention was criticized by Schlang and some other Democrats for being based on faulty math, or "Voodoo economics 2.0" in the words of Jamie Johnson and was attacked just as aggressively by right wing opponents, but its no longer only his. Moses Clearwater a former Congressman and candidate for Governor in Virginia has adopted the concept and has campaigned openly on it showing a surprising shift of Stansky and his plans towards broader acceptability that also seemed to be reflected by surprise endorsements from Senator Richter and ex Senator Stafford, the former Minority Leader. With controversies around him a major race behind him and still riding on a new surge of recognition and influence where Stansky goes to next is anyone's guess.

But right now the answer for where Joh is going to go is home with the ending numbers tipping the vote scale towards Tony Schlang, the new Democratic nominee to race to run New Jersey.

Outside of the Democratic gubernatorial primary the most significant news came from the Republican primaries, where an unprecedented number of primary challengers fought their way past incumbents. In three races in the state Senate and two in the General Assembly Republican challengers defeated sitting opponents with two of the examples seeing the incumbent retire when faced with a competitive primary. Notable in the challenges were the ideologies of the victors. While New Jersey has had a long history of putting out moderate Republicans some anti-establishment and more conservative strains have been bubbling up this year. Candidates running on platforms more on the right than the center right wing were successful in all five races and did fairly well in races with a previously retiring incumbents in which two of three winners were viewed as the more conservative candidate. While none of the races were identical the majority had the biggest issue seen as RLSA reform with challengers not satisfied with the state's progress in working with the new law. Most of the media focus on the issue has been around liberal opposition to the plan Governor Hotchkiss has championed as a moderate compromise which passed the Democratic majority Senate with sufficient bipartisan support but despite some Democratic votes and the Governor's cheerleading failed to make it through the General Assembly. These races showed that the issues with the bill aren't coming from only one side of the spectrum. New general election contenders see opportunities to reduce entitlement spending and lower tax burdens with the RLSA change in responsibility and in one new candidate for State Senate's words "I don't think a deal with that many Democrats on it is a deal worth making for Jersey." State legislatures elsewhere in the nation have seen shifts in power after the landslide 2016 elections flipped chambers to or reinforced Republican majorities that had been growing through the Winston administration but New Jersey with an off year election was unaffected. The right wing push could be banking on another red wave coming through but puts Hotchkiss in an even more tenuous position with the chance of some members of her party shying away from her proposal while she attempts to entice Democrats to join it with a government shutdown deadline looming only weeks away. Party officials have fretted over candidates who are too conservative may have poor electability, harming chances of Republicans taking a majority in the fall though one party official said that he thought that taking advantage of the Democratic/Progressive split to elect more conservative candidates was perfectly timed.

All eyes are going to be watching the Governor's race but with new firebrands pushing for change on the right and some Progressive candidates gearing up to make runs of their own on the left the state legislature is worth a watch as well.
Last edited by Tallahassee News Station on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud Co-OP of the 2016 Washington Political RP

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:25 pm

Trenton, Conference room of Give Joh a Go! HQ

For a room full of people who just lost the the Democratic Primary, the atmosphere of the conference room was hardly that of sadness. The campaign balloons still floated, the union guys, activists and volunteers were all drinking alcohol and waiting for the appearance of Stansky onto the stage. A few minutes prior, the results from TNS were displayed through a projector, there was an audible yell, many people were angry. But not sad. They were not enthused. In fact, many were confident in the result. Pundits couldn't understand how such a man, with a radical agenda such as Stansky's could have nearly taken over the Democratic Party in New Jersey. The people in the room knew why.

Suddenly, the spotlights from the back of the room lit up the front stage, and Twisted Sister was playing from the large stereos as Joh walked on stage. There were loud cheers of support for him as he made it to the podium. While on stage he kissed his wife, Julia on the cheek and gave his son a hug. He walked over to his campaign manager and gave him a 'congratulatory' hug, along with the other senior members of the campaign. He proceeded to turn the microphone on, his face glowing in joy.

"I'm not here to talk about the result too much tonight. I want to talk about what we have ahead of us. We were so close, very close, to toppling the career of Tony Schlang, the ex-Secretary of the Interior. Narrowly losing to the ex-Secretary of the Interior by less than a single percentage point is not a loss, no my friends, this is a victory. While I cannot represent you as Governor this time around, that does not mean our ideals, although revolutionary, cannot be implements. I'll tell you why we are winning. We are what you could call the, I guess, Stansky-wing of the Democratic Party and we represent half of the Democratic Party. Schlang cannot be elected without us, because without us, he has no power and no chance of winning the General Election. I will make him come crawling to me, begging for these votes, no hand them to him. That's why, in only hours to come, I will announce something special.

This is not the end of me, this is just the beginning. I haven't entirely made up my own mind about it yet, but I have large plans to expand onto the national level. I'll still be serving Trenton diligently as its' Mayor, however, I will become the number one activist for the progressive issues that matter. The fact that I lost doesn't mean the entire war is over. We need to continue the fight for a $15 minimum wage, continue the fight for Medicare for All, continue the fight for free college, environmental protection, keeping our industrial jobs, growing our unions, protecting our minorities. I've been speaking with my wife, and I believe I will take the Stansky Train around the entire country. Fight for what matters everywhere, not only New Jersey. Putting pressure on this despicable President and, yes, putting pressure on Governor Hotchkiss. I will also be exploring the possibility for a run in the Senate, to truly represent the people of New Jersey.

We have something going here, and I'm not going to let it die. TNS polling said we did well among women, the poor and lower class and workers. This is a truly grass roots campaign we are leading here, one that can still topple the political establishment. While the campaigning is over, our movement is not over. I'll keep fighting, and I hope you keep fighting with me too. This is not a concession speech, this is a victory speech. We've won, it is clear to all of us. This is the beginning of a new Democratic Party and the establishment cannot hold back the tide of change."

The drunk crowd burst into clapping and chanting. 'Joh, Joh, Joh!' they screamed. The campaign team quickly ducked back into the office while Stansky mingled with the crowd. They began writing up the 'Stansky Manifesto', to be revealed soon.
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Puertollano
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:37 pm

The Stansky Manifesto was spread publicly, sent to the media and displayed on all of Joh's social media accounts. A copy was sent to Schlang.

The Stansky Manifesto

After such a close Democratic Primary, half of the Party acknowledges the need for new direction, new purpose and a new vision; but a progressive one. No longer can the Democratic Party attempt to be 'pragmatic', it must stand up for the values it used to during the era of Roosevelt. In the Stansky Manifesto, it lays out what policies Schlang must adopt as part of his campaign and tenure-ship for the Governor. If Schlang does not accept all and every policy in the Stansky Manifesto, those who voted for Joh Stansky should avoid voting for Schlang at all costs, but if Schlang does accept all and every policy in the Stansky Manifesto, Joh Stansky will ask for those who voted for him in the Primary to pledge their vote behind him.

Policies:

- Medicare for All, a universal healthcare system that is free for all citizens of New Jersey.

-Tuition-free college for all students.

-$15 dollar minimum wage.

- Campaign finance reform, complete ban of corporate donations and corporate political lobbying to campaigns.

- No government take-over of local cities in New Jersey.

- Fix the water problem in New Jersey, which has left 45 towns in New Jersey without safe drinking water.
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Augusta, Maine

"Don't worry, I just have to make a call." Patton said as she got out of bed, leaving her disappointed husband exasperated but compliant. The notification on her phone brought a smile to her lips, it was one she did not anticipate given the direction of the country, but one she welcomed wholeheartedly. This shouldn't be an issue now, she reasoned, given the competition. It looked like she'd have to avoid endorsing another Republican after all.

Patton rang a number she had been given some time ago, but had not revisted in a long while, partly out of caution, partly out of amusement. She waited for campaign staff to put her through to the man himself, who would doubtlessly be celebrating as the night wore on.
Last edited by Vaquas on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Former Republican. Liberal Internationalist. Pick your battles.

Is the Hamburglar an insurrectionary anarchist? One who martyrs himself through the propaganda of the deed?

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Newark, New Jersey

Samantha Soberman couldn't have been happier with the results that flashed across the screen that night. Schlang was a disaster of a candidate, Hotchkiss was weak, and Joh was now a free agent. The thought that had been stewing in the history maker's mind over the last couple of days was one that she decided would have to come into fruition. A tiny victory party was underway, marked by pizza that had come out of the candidate's own pocket and illicit subtances that had come from someone else's entirely.

"Congrats Samantha!" said an excited volunteer as the Progressive nominee strode past, seeking a free corner of the campaign HQ alongside her campaign manager, who was scribbling something down in a pink notebook.

"It was you guys who did it!" she replied, returning a smile and a pat on the back as she zeroed in on a relatively private spot.

She knew things were busy, but she also knew that she'd be put through when the people on the other end knew who she was.

Snatching a now detached slip of paper from her campaign manager's hand, and running her eyes over a larger one that was held in front of her, Samantha Soberman rang Joh Stansky's campaign.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Is the Hamburglar an insurrectionary anarchist? One who martyrs himself through the propaganda of the deed?

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:26 pm

Schlang's Twitter

Tony Schlang
@TheSchlangster

"Big win for New Jersey tonight, started this race as the underdog and nobody believed in me- guess who's laughing now!!

Tony Schlang
@TheSchlangster

"Newsflash for Comrade Joh, stopping Hotchkiss Takeovers and revamping infrastructure was on the agenda before your revolution. Other stuff will be considered, maybe public option instead?"

Tony Schlang
@TheSchlangster

"Love how Big Ego Joh would rather throw election to Republicans and the status quo than Bring New Jersey Back."

Tony Schlang
@TheSchlangster

"Willing to let bygones be bygones and maybe even support old baldy for future political office, I've grown to like him recently. But he's gotta be an ally to team Schlang instead of team Hotchkiss!"

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:45 pm

Congressman Frank Johnson

@ThePhillyJohnson

When Frank Johnson (Me) is Governor of Pennsylvania, Tony Schlang is Governor of New Jersey, and Good Old Dan Schmidt is Governor of Connecticut, all 3 states will be greater than ever before, period!
Democratic Nominee 2024

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Congressman Frank Johnson

@ThePhillyJohnson

Also Moses Clearwater is a good strong black man with no criminal record and a lot of good books that I like to read! He has my full endorsement!
Democratic Nominee 2024

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Congressman Jason Samara
@JSam8

Congratulations to soon to be Governor Schlang on his hard fought victory. I fully acknowledge it was an impassioned race but it is time for the Democratic Party to come together behind Secretary Schlang and score a win in this election. I will be calling Schlang to congratulate him on his victory shortly and offering to help him campaign.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:16 pm

Schlang's House, Jersey City, New Jersey

Tony Schlang was pretty pumped up about his victory. He had choked back half a bottle of vodka and three packs of cigarettes as the results came in, sitting in the living room of his family home in Jersey City. The whole house was filled with people for an epic campaign house party, with drinks and music.

Schlang barely said a word over the course of the entire evening, including after his victory. The party continued after the race was called, but the inner circle of the campaign immediately moved into the dining room, which became an impromptu war room.

A passive and apathetic Schlang was roused by the ringtone of his cell phone, which was his favorite song Young Guns, George Michael's critique on marriage, which he found fitted with his own life experience. Before he could pick up the cell phone, Don Schlang smacked his hand. He couldn't have his inebriated son make a fool of himself. So he did something he had done many times before, and smacked his son twice, then fully doused his face with the cocktail in his right hand. Tony Schlang sputtered, eyes wide, shocked by the freezing ice cold liquid that hit him. He shook himself from his state and answered the phone.

"Uh, this is the Schlangst- er Tony Schlang 'ere."

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:26 pm

Sanabel wrote:Schlang's House, Jersey City, New Jersey
(Image)

Tony Schlang was pretty pumped up about his victory. He had choked back half a bottle of vodka and three packs of cigarettes as the results came in, sitting in the living room of his family home in Jersey City. The whole house was filled with people for an epic campaign house party, with drinks and music.

Schlang barely said a word over the course of the entire evening, including after his victory. The party continued after the race was called, but the inner circle of the campaign immediately moved into the dining room, which became an impromptu war room.

A passive and apathetic Schlang was roused by the ringtone of his cell phone, which was his favorite song Young Guns, George Michael's critique on marriage, which he found fitted with his own life experience. Before he could pick up the cell phone, Don Schlang smacked his hand. He couldn't have his inebriated son make a fool of himself. So he did something he had done many times before, and smacked his son twice, then fully doused his face with the cocktail in his right hand. Tony Schlang sputtered, eyes wide, shocked by the freezing ice cold liquid that hit him. He shook himself from his state and answered the phone.

"Uh, this is the Schlangst- er Tony Schlang 'ere."

Augusta, Maine

“Yes this is Claudia Patton calling for the Schlangster, I wanted to congragulate him on a close victory.” She said humorously. “Good job beating the man Tony, now you’ve got to beat the women.”

She paused for a moment before continuing.

“Drinking already?”
Last edited by Vaquas on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:30 pm

"I gotta tell ya Claudia, I'm a little pissed I didn't beat 'em by more. I hope we can beat Hotchkiss..." Schlang's usual swagger was faded.

"I don't drink on the job, C-Dog."

Puertollano
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:37 pm

Vaquas wrote:
Newark, New Jersey

Samantha Soberman couldn't have been happier with the results that flashed across the screen that night. Schlang was a disaster of a candidate, Hotchkiss was weak, and Joh was now a free agent. The thought that had been stewing in the history maker's mind over the last couple of days was one that she decided would have to come into fruition. A tiny victory party was underway, marked by pizza that had come out of the candidate's own pocket and illicit subtances that had come from someone else's entirely.

"Congrats Samantha!" said an excited volunteer as the Progressive nominee strode past, seeking a free corner of the campaign HQ alongside her campaign manager, who was scribbling something down in a pink notebook.

"It was you guys who did it!" she replied, returning a smile and a pat on the back as she zeroed in on a relatively private spot.

She knew things were busy, but she also knew that she'd be put through when the people on the other end knew who she was.

Snatching a now detached slip of paper from her campaign manager's hand, and running her eyes over a larger one that was held in front of her, Samantha Soberman rang Joh Stansky's campaign.

At the time Soberman called, Joh was parading down Trenton, waving his arm out the window of the driving car at fans on the sidewalk. Any calls as of late were important for Joh, so he pulled over and took the call.

“Yep, hello?”
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:19 pm

Sanabel wrote:Schlang's House, Jersey City, New Jersey

"I gotta tell ya Claudia, I'm a little pissed I didn't beat 'em by more. I hope we can beat Hotchkiss..." Schlang's usual swagger was faded.

"I don't drink on the job, C-Dog."

Augusta, Maine

“Hotchkiss is child’s play, the woman is representative of the exact same incompetence that plauged your former boss, and her views and record leave her a completely open target in New Jersey. She shouldn’t be hard to dispatch, though my Husband would say to never underestimate a widow.”

Patton made her way into her kitchen and pulled some high-end liquor off a shelf, pouring herself a drink as she spoke.

“Drinking on the job is a bad idea indeed Tony, the last thing you need is to be pegged as a drunk too.” She said in jest. “Jersey got lucky though - Stansky is a moron. I have faith that you’ll be a fantastic Governor.”

She paused again.

“Have you given any thought to a Lieutenant Governor?”
Democratic Nominee 2024

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:35 pm

Puertollano wrote:
Vaquas wrote:
Newark, New Jersey

At the time Soberman called, Joh was parading down Trenton, waving his arm out the window of the driving car at fans on the sidewalk. Any calls as of late were important for Joh, so he pulled over and took the call.

“Yep, hello?”

“Glad I caught you Mayor Stansky, this is Samantha Soberman, I just wanted to let you know that despite some of the things I said on twitter and elsewhere, you and I have a lot in common, and I respect a lot of what you’ve done in Trenton. I think you were a much better candidate than Schlang, a rapist doesn’t belong in the Governors Mansion, and neither does anyone who doesn’t agree with the very basic ideas you’ve laid out in your manifesto.”

Soberman glanced at her campaign manager, who nodded.

“That’s why I wanted to propose something. I think that both Schlang and Hotchkiss are corporate bastards. You and I have our differences of course, but we both stand by very similar worldviews. We both want to make this state better, and we both know that the other two are only going to make it worse.

You came very close to victory in the primary. You hold considerable weight. And you want to hold elected office. As such, I’ve come to the conclusion that both of us would benefit if you would consider coming on board the progressive ticket as my Lieutenant Governor. We’d have a real shot Joh, we’d be making history and we could finally bring to our state the common sense egalitarianism that it deserves. You don’t have to answer right away, and I understand if you’re hesitant. But honestly, what do you have to lose?” She finished.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:51 pm

"Yeah, you're right...I'll fuckin eviscerate Hotchkiss. Uh, Joh Stansky, if he wasn't a dumbass. Don Schlang if he wasn't my dad. I don't know yet for that..."

Schlang rested his head in his hand.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse