NATION

PASSWORD

Washington 2017: The U.S. Political RP: IC [CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"My plan to win is to get the Johnsons to help me a bit, while running as a conservative. I seek to tackle the conservative voters first, then the Democrats. The Progressive voters can go to hell, if I care." Cox said, checking his cash for something ahead. "For my agenda, I still going to support the right to have a gun, but have some gun control laws added. People are going to want healthcare, so I can support healthcare. And how about...I make sure that I focus on health with some of the voters. Maybe that will help with my agenda, though you're free to give me suggestions." Cox said.

Cao started to speak, then cut herself off. She needed to think..... After a long pause, she replied.

"I have to be honest with you, having the Johnsons give you money will make you highly unpopular with conservatives. I can more than shore up that support by endorsing you, though. I'll need much more details about what exactly you plan to do in terms of policy. Take gun control for instance, California has some of the strictest regulations in the nation. Do you plan to have more background checks? A ban on so-called assault weapons? And as for healthcare, assuming you reject a single-payer plan, what would be your free-market based alternative? I'm not expecting you to recite your platform by heart, just give me a detailed explanation."

Korea of the South
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Korea of the South » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Valentina Internet Ad

The paid Internet Ad is viewed on:
Twitter / Facebook / Instagram
H A R R I S - 2 0 2 0
W A R R E N - 2 0 2 0

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"Let me immediately tell you. The Johnsons have enough money, which might make them richer than the President. They are literally the only friends I have that aren't Republicans. Plus, it isn't the Democrats I'm worried about. It's the Progressives. Assault rifles will still be banned, but I want some citizens to be more free when it comes to guns. I have already funded my police force and plus, I want to make sure there are still background checks for mental illness or past criminal charges. I wish to appeal to the hunting demographic for gun control. As for healthcare, I keep the single-payer plan unless there is some public support against it. If people want a different healthcare system, I will give them an all-payer system." Cox said.

"Also, I'm getting tired. Has the waiter come back with my drink yet?"
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"Let me immediately tell you. The Johnsons have enough money, which might make them richer than the President. They are literally the only friends I have that aren't Republicans. Plus, it isn't the Democrats I'm worried about. It's the Progressives. Assault rifles will still be banned, but I want some citizens to be more free when it comes to guns. I have already funded my police force and plus, I want to make sure there are still background checks for mental illness or past criminal charges. I wish to appeal to the hunting demographic for gun control. As for healthcare, I keep the single-payer plan unless there is some public support against it. If people want a different healthcare system, I will give them an all-payer system." Cox said.

"Also, I'm getting tired. Has the waiter come back with my drink yet?"

The waiter handed him his drink and handed Cao her water.

She took a sip of her water and took out her notebook, flipping through to find the right pages. "If you want to appeal to hunters, you'll have to make it easier for them to obtain guns for hunting. For instance, the law could be changed to give sheriffs in rural counties more leeway in allowing residents to openly carry their weapons or reduce fees for gun owners who have had their hunting license for more than 5 years. As for health care, supporting a single-payer system in which the government pays for health care services, is a non-starter among conservatives. If there must be a single-payer system, I would recommend it be in the form of a voucher system, with the value of the voucher tied to medical inflation."

She flipped through to find yet another page. "As for your worry about the Progressives.... That could turn out to be a silver lining. The key is to boost Republican turnout, and use wedge issues to divide Democrats from Progressives. On issues like pension reform, balanced budgets, and government waste, Democrats are likely to be more moderate than Progressives. If you campaign as a fiscal conservative and avoid social issues, you'll have a fighting chance. That's why I want to put at least one proposition on the ballot that will amend the state constitution. It would require that the board of CALPERS, the pension agency for state workers, only be staffed with independent financial experts rather than public union cronies. This proposition will spike Republican turnout, and divide Democratic voters. Democrats will be forced to either shift to the left to beat the Progressives, or shift to the right, angering many of their political supporters, such as unions, and their left-leaning base. So.. what do you think of my proposals so far?"
Last edited by Bruke on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

Cox took a large sip of his drink to get his brain working. "Alright. If I speak to the Johnsons, they clearly are going to demand for Ellen Walton's head on a platter. I need to know of the candidates that are also running for governor. If there is a Democrat candidate, they might have a head start. Basically, you want me to convince the Democrats that the only way that they can still win is if the Progressives don't win?" Cox said, sipping his mocktail.

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

Cox took a large sip of his drink to get his brain working. "Alright. If I speak to the Johnsons, they clearly are going to demand for Ellen Walton's head on a platter. I need to know of the candidates that are also running for governor. If there is a Democrat candidate, they might have a head start. Basically, you want me to convince the Democrats that the only way that they can still win is if the Progressives don't win?" Cox said, sipping his mocktail.

"Hold on. The details are important. As a Republican candidate, your strategy should be to hold on to the Republican base, win over a majority of independent voters, and peel off a minority of Democrats. I'm talking at most 10%, or perhaps even 20%, of Democratic voters, plus the other two groups.

Now... worst case scenario, a big name Democrat like Penelope Winston runs. That'll make your job much much harder, because a big name candidate would be enough to unify the Democratic base. Assuming the Democrats don't have Winston as their candidate, and the Progressives put up a very strong challenger, you have a good chance of winning."
Last edited by Bruke on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"What does Penelope Winston have that I don't? Her husband is literally six feet under and Albert managed to destroy the reputation of the Democrats throughout 2016. What kind of strong challenger are the Progressives going to have? Walton herself?" Cox said.

RPs I do

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 pm

Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"What does Penelope Winston have that I don't? Her husband is literally six feet under and Albert managed to destroy the reputation of the Democrats throughout 2016. What kind of strong challenger are the Progressives going to have? Walton herself?" Cox said.

"Winston has star power, for one thing. Name recognition is important, because it helps with fundraising and advertising: money flows in, and you don't have to advertise as much. A statewide ad campaign would cost millions of dollars. You'll have to get a lot of positive coverage in the press to match that, so be aware of how your decisions affect your public image and popularity going forward. I don't know who the Progressives will have, but whoever they choose will cut into Democratic margins in your region and in the Bay Area. Of course, no conservative Republican could ever win in the Bay Area, but you'll have a strong chance of winning in the Los Angeles area, the San Diego area, and the Inland Empire. Of course, all of this will be complemented by doing our best to help Republicans win more seats in the state Senate and Assembly."

Cao figured this was a good time to summarize her point. "The short version is this: I'll endorse you in your run for Governor, and get the CALPERS proposition on the ballot, if you support the proposition and endorse me for Lieutenant Governor."
Last edited by Bruke on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"Which is why befriending the Johnsons is a good idea. As I told you, they have money for days. Plus, they are diehard Democrats. Here's the plan so far. Aim for the Republicans and conservative voters first, campaigning around the south half of all of California. Next, I appeal to the Democrats, trying to find a way to convince them to vote for me, despite being a Republican, while aiming only around the Bay Area, instead of it." Cox suggested.

RPs I do

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:06 am

Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"Which is why befriending the Johnsons is a good idea. As I told you, they have money for days. Plus, they are diehard Democrats. Here's the plan so far. Aim for the Republicans and conservative voters first, campaigning around the south half of all of California. Next, I appeal to the Democrats, trying to find a way to convince them to vote for me, despite being a Republican, while aiming only around the Bay Area, instead of it." Cox suggested.

"Exactly! The way to convince the Democrats is by campaigning on a platform of fiscal responsibility, otherwise known as fiscal conservatism. And supporting my pension reform proposition would go a long way in showing voters your commitment to fiscal responsibility. Cities and counties across the state have been driven to ruin by the burden of pension debt. An independent and effective CALPERS board would make financially sound decisions. If you could get that passed, you'd be a hero. Speaking of fiscal policy, have you developed a replacement for the Green Shift, Governor Ramirez's signature plan?"
Last edited by Bruke on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:20 am

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"Green Shift? What is this Green Shift by Governor Ramirez? And where will this affect?", Cox questioned Cao.

RPs I do

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:34 am

Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"Green Shift? What is this Green Shift by Governor Ramirez? And where will this affect?", Cox questioned Cao.

"In a nutshell, the Green Shift was a cut in taxes for the middle class and working class, paid for by raising taxes on companies that pollute or use fossil fuels. He balanced the budget in part through that. If you want to keep the tax cuts for the middle class and working class, and lower the punishing tax burden on these companies, you'll have to get rid of the Green Shift and find new sources of revenue for the state. The Green Shift affects certain areas of the state very heavily.... including your own area. The Los Angeles area has many oil wells. Most of them have long since run dry, but some are still operating. There's Long Beach and Huntington Beach. Even further away is Kern County. My point is that Southern California's oil industry is still active, and employs many people. If you can get rid off the Green Shift, find a source of revenue to replace it, and encourage environmentally responsible oil and natural gas production, you'd earn a great many votes here."
Last edited by Bruke on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

North Dajao
Envoy

Founded: Nov 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby North Dajao » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:53 am

Eastern Iowa Airport
Cedar Rapids, IA

Barnum sat in the ridiculously small waiting area checking his email. It seemed that every time he responded to an email, ten more would appear.

Tired of waiting, Barnum stood up to talk to the airline desk lady, catching a whiff of her stale perfume.

"Isn't there anything you can do?" Barnum asked exasperatedly .

"Not unless you want to fly to Detroit or Minneapolis," responded the flight attendant, "You need to wait until we get an all clear from maintenance."

Barnum sighed

"Ah never mind. Cancel my ticket, they don't want me or need me in Manchester."
Leftist who made an account on here way too young

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:10 am

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"I try to get rid of the Green Shift, seeing how the oil industry is active in these parts. What sources of revenues do you think I should replace it with?" Cox said, sipping his drink.

RPs I do

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:15 am

Rayburn Building, Washington D.C.
February 15, 2017
Senator Kramer walked into the building and announced to the receptionist that he was here for a scheduled meeting with Representative Morton. After sitting down Kramer began thinking to himself. "I wonder how this will go" Kramer thought apprehensive about the potential result of the meeting.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:44 am

Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"I try to get rid of the Green Shift, seeing how the oil industry is active in these parts. What sources of revenues do you think I should replace it with?" Cox said, sipping his drink.

"I don't have the state budget in front of me, obviously, so I can't speak in very definitive terms. I'll rule one idea out right off the bat: there can be no increase in property taxes. Messing with Proposition 13 would be suidcidal for any Republican. Perhaps you could have an increase in sales taxes though. There are certain exceptions now for entertainment events like concerts and the like. Getting rid off that sales tax exception could raise a couple billion or so in revenue. I think you'll have the most leeway in getting rid of certain exceptions."

She took a larger sip of her sparkling water.

"But be careful which ones you get rid of! Take the mortgage interest deduction for second or vacation homes. You'd think that would be an obvious thing to remove, but it isn't. Many communities up and down the coast rely on seasonal vacationers to drive tourism. If the deduction is gone, a lot of people might just stop going altogether, and those coastal towns will go through hard times. Try and get tax reform done first, before getting rid off the Green Shift. Otherwise the Dems and Progressives will say that you would be blowing a hole in the state's budget.... and most voters will believe them, of course."
Last edited by Bruke on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"That was why this goes back to my earlier argument. The Johnsons. They have connections to real estate. Plus, they know what to do when it comes to housing." Cox explained. "If I explained to them, what recommendation I can have for removing Green Shift without increasing property taxes. The public might get mad for an increase in the sales tax, though." Cox said.

"Actually..", Cox looked like he had something to say to Cao, but his eyes shifted from left to right to make sure no one was listening. "You have a pen and something to write on? I want to reveal something, but I can't risk the Progressives or Democrats knowing." Cox said, nervous.

RPs I do

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"That was why this goes back to my earlier argument. The Johnsons. They have connections to real estate. Plus, they know what to do when it comes to housing." Cox explained. "If I explained to them, what recommendation I can have for removing Green Shift without increasing property taxes. The public might get mad for an increase in the sales tax, though." Cox said.

"Actually..", Cox looked like he had something to say to Cao, but his eyes shifted from left to right to make sure no one was listening. "You have a pen and something to write on? I want to reveal something, but I can't risk the Progressives or Democrats knowing." Cox said, nervous.

Cao handed him a piece of paper from her notebook and her pen, then gave her reply. "They might. Then, again they might not. Entertainment is a luxury. We're talking me about going out to movies, concerts, and other events. As a voter, which would make you angrier: paying a bit more at the movies, or paying more for groceries, medicine, and the like? Obviously the latter. If you limit yourself to only taking away exceptions that relate to luxuries, or things the average Californian does not use or buy frequently, you'll have an easier time convincing them and the legislature."

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"I need to see some Democrats voters first. I need to tax something that many people don't seem to care about at all. If I get some opinions, then I can start making some taxes to focus away from Green Shift." Cox said, writing something in the paper.

Cao, don't tell anyone about this. Wait, till the media announces this. I'm trying to apply for Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. If someone else finds out, then my chances for both Governor and Secretary of HUD are screwed.
- Cox.

"Do what is written. Make sure nothing goes out. No leaks. No scandals. No nothing." Cox warned Cao, though he thought the Johnsons were be better with secrets.

RPs I do

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"I need to see some Democrats voters first. I need to tax something that many people don't seem to care about at all. If I get some opinions, then I can start making some taxes to focus away from Green Shift." Cox said, writing something in the paper.

Cao, don't tell anyone about this. Wait, till the media announces this. I'm trying to apply for Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. If someone else finds out, then my chances for both Governor and Secretary of HUD are screwed.
- Cox.

"Do what is written. Make sure nothing goes out. No leaks. No scandals. No nothing." Cox warned Cao, though he thought the Johnsons were be better with secrets.

Cao smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry Mr. Cox, your secret is safe with me. If you take too long to decide what you want, of course, I'll have to go ahead and start my campaign without you. But you'll still have my support should you decide to jump into the Governor's race later on. As for the Johnsons, I'd reccomend not leaning on them too heavily. You'll have to make some connections with state Repulican leaders as well. I can set up some fundraisers for you if you'd like."

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"I'm aiming for both here. If I lose one of them, I go for the other. I need you to send me some Republicans in California I can chat with. After that, I check in with some Democrat voters to see what I can do for them. You can already get a Vote for Cox fundraiser started and I can convince some people to do donations." Cox said.

RPs I do

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"I'm aiming for both here. If I lose one of them, I go for the other. I need you to send me some Republicans in California I can chat with. After that, I check in with some Democrat voters to see what I can do for them. You can already get a Vote for Cox fundraiser started and I can convince some people to do donations." Cox said.

"Sounds like a plan. On my part, I'll hold off on announcing my campaign for a little while longer. If you want to connect with local Republicans, try the suburbs in the east. Santa Clarita, Palmdale, and those cities. I'll set up a fundraiser for you as close to the suburbs as possible, so that the county party can get some more people in the door."

Cao looked up straight in the eyes. "And remember, when you meet with the Democrats, don't make promises to them you can't keep. If you appear to agree a lot with the Democrats, Republican voters will not vote for you."
Last edited by Bruke on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tumblrena
Senator

Founded: Mar 20, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tumblrena » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Orono, Maine
8 Crosby Street
Prazek Home
Tuesday
14 February

Katherine waves her hand in front of Walsh's face and laughs. "Hello there? Earth to the Congressman!"

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Greater Arab State wrote:Rayburn Building, Washington D.C.
February 15, 2017
Senator Kramer walked into the building and announced to the receptionist that he was here for a scheduled meeting with Representative Morton. After sitting down Kramer began thinking to himself. "I wonder how this will go" Kramer thought apprehensive about the potential result of the meeting.

The receptionist greeted the Senator and showed him to Morton's private office. There was a large desk at the center of the room, with a file cabinet and other furniture behind it. A few framed pictures were placed on the wall. One showed Morton as a young man, at Ben Gross's victory party after becoming the mayor of Milipitas. Another showed Morton at his retirement party at McKinsey, after all his years of work. Yet another showed him in Congress.

Morton himself was sitting at his desk, looking over some notes in his trusty notebook.

He looked up to see Senator Kramer. "Senator, it's good to finally meet you. Please, sit." He motioned to the other chair.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Taylor Cox
Spago, Los Angeles
February 15, 2017

"I keep the only Democrat support being the Johnsons. I head over to Santa Clarita after I get someone to make me a bit of a poster for me. I have more Republican support than the Democrats, that's for sure. Anything else of importance?" Cox asked, nearly finished with his drink.

RPs I do

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse