NATION

PASSWORD

The White House-2017 Washington RP

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:44 am

Chief of Staff's Office, West Wing, White House

"That would be understandable- as Secretary of State I would serve at the President's pleasure. That can be discussed later.

As for mis-steps, I believe the Rainden pardon could have been one. I understand the President's reasoning behind it, and I supported it, as he blew the lid on immense civil liberties concerns. However, I would hate it if the pardon emboldened whistleblowers who could spill information that could endanger our service members or release classified information."
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:24 am

Sanabel wrote:Chief of Staff's Office, West Wing, White House

"That would be understandable- as Secretary of State I would serve at the President's pleasure. That can be discussed later.

As for mis-steps, I believe the Rainden pardon could have been one. I understand the President's reasoning behind it, and I supported it, as he blew the lid on immense civil liberties concerns. However, I would hate it if the pardon emboldened whistleblowers who could spill information that could endanger our service members or release classified information."

"Will you execute the will of the President? Even when you disagree?"
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:29 am

"Of course, Simon. Insubordination doesn't get you far in the business world, surely it won't get me far in this position. When the President and I have a disagreement, I will state my case and try to convince him to change course. A yes man doesn't help him or the country. But when he reaches a final decision, it will be my duty to carry it out."

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:40 am

"Of course, Simon. Insubordination doesn't get you far in the business world, surely it won't get me far in this position. When the President and I have a disagreement, I will state my case and try to convince him to change course. A yes man doesn't help him or the country. But when he reaches a final decision, it will be my duty to carry it out."

"Hey" Simon says tapping his clipboard "These are questions I have to ask... Do you have aspirations for any other political office?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:43 am

Stevenson laughed, "I know you're putting in due diligence."

He sighed. "Breckenridge attempted to force me into running for Senate, but that move is unlikely. Breckenridge has not been a friend to this administration and its success, and his political implosion has bothered me. If I'm honest, I've been considering a third bid for Governor of Massachusetts."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:47 am

Stevenson laughed, "I know you're putting in due diligence."

He sighed. "Breckenridge attempted to force me into running for Senate, but that move is unlikely. Breckenridge has not been a friend to this administration and its success, and his political implosion has bothered me. If I'm honest, I've been considering a third bid for Governor of Massachusetts."

"The President is worried about your association with Breckenridge, can you comment on that?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:02 am

"He and I were associated in a professional capacity. I was the minority leader of the Massachusetts Senate and became governor, he was mayor of Boston and became a Senator. I donated to his campaigns and provided him with support, as he was a seemingly smart guy who could win in both Boston and Massachusetts despite not being a liberal Democrat.

We had a working relationship that was something of a friendship. As governor, he and I were the only non-Democrats holding statewide office. As a fellow former blue state governor, you understand how that is, Simon. When I left office and ran my
first and final presidentiall campaign, our relationship became something of a Christmas-card friendship. After Kristen and I ended our marriage, he left my life further. I think the reason he invoked my name as his friend was simply to dig at my ex wife. I found it somewhat insulting, and needless to say he and I will not be speaking any time soon.

I donated to President Reed's campaign. I supported him in both the primary and the general, if only from the sidelines. Breckenridge has imploded in a manner that has baffled me, and continues to baffle me. It could be jealousy for Reed's position but I'm not entirely certain. Needless to say, I'm in the President's corner. And that's not just because I work for a defense contractor," he laughed.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 am

"He and I were associated in a professional capacity. I was the minority leader of the Massachusetts Senate and became governor, he was mayor of Boston and became a Senator. I donated to his campaigns and provided him with support, as he was a seemingly smart guy who could win in both Boston and Massachusetts despite not being a liberal Democrat.

We had a working relationship that was something of a friendship. As governor, he and I were the only non-Democrats holding statewide office. As a fellow former blue state governor, you understand how that is, Simon. When I left office and ran my
first and final presidentiall campaign, our relationship became something of a Christmas-card friendship. After Kristen and I ended our marriage, he left my life further. I think the reason he invoked my name as his friend was simply to dig at my ex wife. I found it somewhat insulting, and needless to say he and I will not be speaking any time soon.

I donated to President Reed's campaign. I supported him in both the primary and the general, if only from the sidelines. Breckenridge has imploded in a manner that has baffled me, and continues to baffle me. It could be jealousy for Reed's position but I'm not entirely certain. Needless to say, I'm in the President's corner. And that's not just because I work for a defense contractor," he laughed.

"I have a few specific questions for you on foreign policy scenarios, we've touched on them a bit but I want to focus on them specifically.... The President wants a more forceful containment policy towards China, including the potential stationing of a Carrier Group in the South China Sea. As Secretary of State what strategies would you pursue to help achieve that goal? Diplomatically."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:34 am

"Diplomatically, I would seek for Japan, the Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, and Malaysia to join said carrier group in joint military exercises and would urge all parties to follow the Laws of the Sea as established by the United Nations. I would also push for greater ties to the ASEAN states and I would push for the ratification of the TPP to increase our economic ties with Asian states other than China. China's South China Sea strategy has always been using brute numbers and the cabbage strategy to overwhelm smaller nations. A ship loan/selling deal with states such as the Philippines could boost our economy and also allow for them to begin matching China's power.

I would not, however, advocate for an Asian NATO equivalent. States such as Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and the Philippines each have very nuanced, weary, and occasionally hostile views towards one another. That is why the best method is bringing in our own strength, ratifying the TPP, supporting our allies materially and politically, and enforcing international law in the region would be the best path forward."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:14 am

"Diplomatically, I would seek for Japan, the Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, and Malaysia to join said carrier group in joint military exercises and would urge all parties to follow the Laws of the Sea as established by the United Nations. I would also push for greater ties to the ASEAN states and I would push for the ratification of the TPP to increase our economic ties with Asian states other than China. China's South China Sea strategy has always been using brute numbers and the cabbage strategy to overwhelm smaller nations. A ship loan/selling deal with states such as the Philippines could boost our economy and also allow for them to begin matching China's power.

I would not, however, advocate for an Asian NATO equivalent. States such as Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and the Philippines each have very nuanced, weary, and occasionally hostile views towards one another. That is why the best method is bringing in our own strength, ratifying the TPP, supporting our allies materially and politically, and enforcing international law in the region would be the best path forward."

"Lets focus a bit more specifically... we'd like to deepen our economic relations with Japan, what strategy would you take to do so and what are our biggest challenges towards that goal?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:40 am

"Japan is probably our closest and most powerful regional ally. If we were to focus on them, it comes with obvious benefits, but there are risks as well. The Abe administration continues to make statements on Japan's history that sow distrust in Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines.

However, there are a few steps we could take. First, we could have Mr. President head over to Japan and play as a guest-player for a few ball games," he chuckled. "Encouraging Japan to increase its support operations would be a good place to start. They have helped us in Iraq, for instance, and could be of use in other operations around the globe. It would also bolster Abe's case in his goal of normalizing Japan's military force, and would help our relationship. A bilateral trade agreement would work wonders for our economy, especially if we could gain access to their automobile markets. It would strengthen our ties with Japan greatly. Solving the social and environmental issues concerning our military presence in Okinawa would be a boon as well. We could establish a new base, perhaps, and increase our sustainability on the island. Additionally, the Japanese would likely appreciate us sending a naval presence to the Kuril Islands, to bolster their claim in their dispute with Russia. It would also be another low-risk chance to stand up to Russian revanchism, which is a win for all, and adds to our policy of enforcing international law in East Asia through strength.

The challenges, of course, are that a bilateral trade agreement could contradict the TPP, though I believe we could ensure this isn't an issue. There is also a great cost concern with military activities. Finally, there are the concerns I mentioned over isolating our allies.

I have negotiating experience from both business and state government. I also have experience with negotiating internationally, and I believe this well equips me for the transactional approach the Japanese government tends to take."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 am

"Japan is probably our closest and most powerful regional ally. If we were to focus on them, it comes with obvious benefits, but there are risks as well. The Abe administration continues to make statements on Japan's history that sow distrust in Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines.

However, there are a few steps we could take. First, we could have Mr. President head over to Japan and play as a guest-player for a few ball games," he chuckled. "Encouraging Japan to increase its support operations would be a good place to start. They have helped us in Iraq, for instance, and could be of use in other operations around the globe. It would also bolster Abe's case in his goal of normalizing Japan's military force, and would help our relationship. A bilateral trade agreement would work wonders for our economy, especially if we could gain access to their automobile markets. It would strengthen our ties with Japan greatly. Solving the social and environmental issues concerning our military presence in Okinawa would be a boon as well. We could establish a new base, perhaps, and increase our sustainability on the island. Additionally, the Japanese would likely appreciate us sending a naval presence to the Kuril Islands, to bolster their claim in their dispute with Russia. It would also be another low-risk chance to stand up to Russian revanchism, which is a win for all, and adds to our policy of enforcing international law in East Asia through strength.

The challenges, of course, are that a bilateral trade agreement could contradict the TPP, though I believe we could ensure this isn't an issue. There is also a great cost concern with military activities. Finally, there are the concerns I mentioned over isolating our allies.

I have negotiating experience from both business and state government. I also have experience with negotiating internationally, and I believe this well equips me for the transactional approach the Japanese government tends to take."

"Obviously the President wants to scale down the United States as a 'global policeman' how do we scale back our military presence around the world and still ensure global security?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:57 am

"I'd be weary of scaling back too much, but we will discuss that later, should I receive this position. I believe supporting and encouraging our allies diplomatically and materially is a great option. Fostering greater economic and political openness through trade and humanitarian assistance is also probably the single best way of ensuring international peace. Maintaining our naval and air strength even as we scale back operations is of the utmost importance."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:04 am

"I'd be weary of scaling back too much, but we will discuss that later, should I receive this position. I believe supporting and encouraging our allies diplomatically and materially is a great option. Fostering greater economic and political openness through trade and humanitarian assistance is also probably the single best way of ensuring international peace. Maintaining our naval and air strength even as we scale back operations is of the utmost importance."

Simon nods along "The UN Ambassadorship is also open, would you be interested in that?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:16 am

Stevenson put his hand on his chin and thought for a moment. "Well, I-" he paused.

"Yes, I would be interested in taking that position. It would be another opportunity to serve this country and help President Reed to succeed. But I would only be interested if it remained a cabinet level position."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:01 am

Stevenson put his hand on his chin and thought for a moment. "Well, I-" he paused.

"Yes, I would be interested in taking that position. It would be another opportunity to serve this country and help President Reed to succeed. But I would only be interested if it remained a cabinet level position."

"As UN Ambassador how would you approach the position? How would it be different from SoS."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:08 am

"Of course, it's a far different position. As Ambassador to the United Nations, I would staunchly defend our interests and those of Israel, as our two nations are under constant attack from the body. I would also work to pressure Southeast Asian states to follow the Laws of the Sea in their territorial claims. I would bring in my vast experience in state government and business negotiation to the United Nations, and take a transactional approach when possible, and I would wield our veto power whenever necessary."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:17 am

"Of course, it's a far different position. As Ambassador to the United Nations, I would staunchly defend our interests and those of Israel, as our two nations are under constant attack from the body. I would also work to pressure Southeast Asian states to follow the Laws of the Sea in their territorial claims. I would bring in my vast experience in state government and business negotiation to the United Nations, and take a transactional approach when possible, and I would wield our veto power whenever necessary."

"Do you have any questions for me? Beyond what we have discussed?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:26 am

"Does the Acting Secretary have any powers that are different from that of the Secretary?"

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:38 am

"Does the Acting Secretary have any powers that are different from that of the Secretary?"

"Not really, it does hamper your ability to make long term negotiations and make relationships."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:59 pm

"In that case, Simon, I will rely on my magnanimity alone," he said with a wink.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:23 am

"In that case, Simon, I will rely on my magnanimity alone," he said with a wink.

“How do we turn back Russia specifically in Ukraine?”

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:50 pm

"I believe that with regards to Ukraine, the genie may have been let out of the bottle. Luhansk and Donetsk are probably lost, at least for the time being. I believe we must ramp up sanctions, and demand that the Russian and Ukrainian parties allow for United Nations observers in the region. I also believe increasing our naval presence in the Mediterranean, and re-instating the Syrian no-fly zone will contain the Russians in the Middle East. By bolstering our European allies through trade and political support, we may contain their aggression on that end. Providing political support to Georgia, and taking more strident action against Iran are good measures for containing Russia in Central Asia. We must also encourage European transition to renewable resources so we can end their dependence upon Russian oil and natural gas. In summary, we need to contain Russia if they refuse to cease their aggressive activities. The reset under Winston did nothing but weaken our position. Russia has been given chance after chance to play ball with the west and fall in line with international institutions, but they refuse to end their revanchist aggression and Cold War mentality. One day, I would like to see Russia become a peaceful member of the international order, but I fear that is not possible in the short term."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:44 pm

"I believe that with regards to Ukraine, the genie may have been let out of the bottle. Luhansk and Donetsk are probably lost, at least for the time being. I believe we must ramp up sanctions, and demand that the Russian and Ukrainian parties allow for United Nations observers in the region. I also believe increasing our naval presence in the Mediterranean, and re-instating the Syrian no-fly zone will contain the Russians in the Middle East. By bolstering our European allies through trade and political support, we may contain their aggression on that end. Providing political support to Georgia, and taking more strident action against Iran are good measures for containing Russia in Central Asia. We must also encourage European transition to renewable resources so we can end their dependence upon Russian oil and natural gas. In summary, we need to contain Russia if they refuse to cease their aggressive activities. The reset under Winston did nothing but weaken our position. Russia has been given chance after chance to play ball with the west and fall in line with international institutions, but they refuse to end their revanchist aggression and Cold War mentality. One day, I would like to see Russia become a peaceful member of the international order, but I fear that is not possible in the short term."

“Last question... you touched on it previously but I’d like some elaboration. How do we strengthen ties with NATO and specifically how do we turkey back in?”

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:55 pm

"I've already spoken about this quite a bit Simon, but I suppose it serves repeating.

"Given the President's implied views on Kurdistan, and Turkey's tyrannical and illiberal nature, there is a large chance we may not be able to effectively restore their NATO membership. Especially as their relationship with other NATO states like Germany declines. Should we be unable to return them to NATO, we must offer a strategic partnership, as we do with states like Australia. Should Turkey decline, we must ensure the wedge remains driven between them and Russia and Iran, to prevent them from drifting into Russia's sphere. As for strengthening our ties with NATO writ large, we must continue our joint operations, especially with the Central and Eastern European member states. We must restore our missile defense systems in those states, which Winston foolishly removed. We also must continue to push a European-American transatlantic trade agreement, as I've touched, as the bulk of NATO are EU member states. I also believe NATO enlargement should be on the table should Turkey exits, to potentially incorporate states such as Georgia and Israel. The current accession of Montenegro should be continued if not sped up, and we should begin courting Macedonia as well."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse