NATION

PASSWORD

The White House-2017 Washington RP

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:17 am

Prolieum wrote:
June 13, 2017

Dining Room

"I'll do that. Thanks."

Cal turned from Denisevich to lay himself out flat on the floor, suit and all, in front of Mia, trying to coax her up and to him with waving hands, which she seemed fascinated by the motion of, sitting still to watch them rather than making an attempt to rise to her feet.

Simon put his hand on Carrollton's shoulder and said "lets go back to my office"
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:50 pm

Chief of Staff's Office, West Wing, White House

Former Governor Thomas Peabody Stevenson was at the White House once more. The building that eluded him, that he spent his life dreaming. It was out of reach for him as an old man, years out of office. That fact, however, washed him over with calm as he entered it with an air of humility.

As he passed through levels of security and staff, he continually flashed his trademark smile and made small talk with those around him. Stevenson's charm fundamentally made him the man he was- business giant, once the most popular governor of any state, one-time presidential candidate, and (he hoped) the next secretary of state.

Finally he made it to the West Wing, where he sat with a contented look on his face, waiting for the Chief of Staff.
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:54 pm

Sanabel wrote:Chief of Staff's Office, West Wing, White House
(Image)

Former Governor Thomas Peabody Stevenson was at the White House once more. The building that eluded him, that he spent his life dreaming. It was out of reach for him as an old man, years out of office. That fact, however, washed him over with calm as he entered it with an air of humility.

As he passed through levels of security and staff, he continually flashed his trademark smile and made small talk with those around him. Stevenson's charm fundamentally made him the man he was- business giant, once the most popular governor of any state, one-time presidential candidate, and (he hoped) the next secretary of state.

Finally he made it to the West Wing, where he sat with a contented look on his face, waiting for the Chief of Staff.

"Thomas!" Simon said in a friendly tone coming behind Stevenson "Good to have you, lets chat inside my office."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 pm

Stevenson reached out and shook Denisevich's hand with his right, and patted him square on the back with his left.

"Simon, boy you're looking great! How's the fiance?" He asked in his Boston accent.

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:06 pm

Stevenson reached out and shook Denisevich's hand with his right, and patted him square on the back with his left.

"Simon, boy you're looking great! How's the fiance?" He asked in his Boston accent.

"She's good, gotta admit the hours here arent great for keeping up a relationship but we are managing. How about yourself?" Simon led him into his office and gestured for him to sit across from him.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:13 pm

"Listen, son, I've had two failed marriages and a whole lot of relationships in my day," Stevenson laughed. "So my advice may not be what a guy like you is lookin' for, but I know you, Simon. You're a worker bee, and from what I've gathered so is she. Spontaneity is your best friend in a situation like this. Send her flowers, surprise her and sweep her off her feet, and the like. It's wicked simple but it'll go a long way!" He laughed again.

Stevenson took a seat across from Denisevich, unbuttoned his jacket, and crossed his legs.

"I'm doing well, Simon. I've been at Raytheon for long enough now that I can do nothing and make it look like something. Just kidding, of course!"

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm

"Listen, son, I've had two failed marriages and a whole lot of relationships in my day," Stevenson laughed. "So my advice may not be what a guy like you is lookin' for, but I know you, Simon. You're a worker bee, and from what I've gathered so is she. Spontaneity is your best friend in a situation like this. Send her flowers, surprise her and sweep her off her feet, and the like. It's wicked simple but it'll go a long way!" He laughed again.

Stevenson took a seat across from Denisevich, unbuttoned his jacket, and crossed his legs.

"I'm doing well, Simon. I've been at Raytheon for long enough now that I can do nothing and make it look like something. Just kidding, of course!"

Simon sat "Thats what I want to speak to you about actually... would you consider leaving Raytheon?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 pm

"Of course. My position is nothing tremendously exciting. I advise the board, essentially. As a company that's greatly reliant upon government contracts, a former government insider helps them, but I'm not exactly doin' heart surgery over there. I'm always on the lookout for something with a little more adventure."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

"Of course. My position is nothing tremendously exciting. I advise the board, essentially. As a company that's greatly reliant upon government contracts, a former government insider helps them, but I'm not exactly doin' heart surgery over there. I'm always on the lookout for something with a little more adventure."

"As you probably heard we are looking for an acting Secretary of State."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:34 pm

"Of course, Simon. It's very tragic, and I didn't want to mention it for that very reason. But if I'm frank with you, Simon, serving as Acting Secretary of State is something I would be interested in doing. It would be my last position, the capstone to my career- one last call to serve these United States."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:48 pm

"Of course, Simon. It's very tragic, and I didn't want to mention it for that very reason. But if I'm frank with you, Simon, serving as Acting Secretary of State is something I would be interested in doing. It would be my last position, the capstone to my career- one last call to serve these United States."

"I will also tell you... there is a good chance it would turn into a permanent position."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:51 pm

"I'm not in the loop like you are, Simon, but that's a bit presumptuous, isn't it? Assuming that's the case- well, I'd be interested in serving as a full-on Secretary of State as well."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:53 pm

"I'm not in the loop like you are, Simon, but that's a bit presumptuous, isn't it? Assuming that's the case- well, I'd be interested in serving as a full-on Secretary of State as well."

"If it was presumptive I wouldnt mention it. Regardless you are on the list of potential replacements and i've been asked to interview you"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 pm

"That makes this a job interview, doesn't it Simon."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:56 pm

"That makes this a job interview, doesn't it Simon."

"Yea Tom it does. I'm sorry for the secrecy."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:58 pm

"It's alright, Simon, you don't have to apologize. We will make it up later, I'd love to have you and your fiance over to the house this summer for a more social visit."

He sat more upright in his seat, but did not change his relaxed and confident composure. "Well, let's cut to the chase. Shall we begin?"

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:03 pm

"It's alright, Simon, you don't have to apologize. We will make it up later, I'd love to have you and your fiance over to the house this summer for a more social visit."

He sat more upright in his seat, but did not change his relaxed and confident composure. "Well, let's cut to the chase. Shall we begin?"

Simon nodded and took a more formal posture "The number one thing the president wants to know is what relationships do you have internationally that could be useful in the position."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:30 am

Stevenson chuckled. "I've got a few. I've never been a Congressman or an Ambassador or anything, but I've got quite a few," he repeated.

"First of all, there's Ethiopia. I spent a few years there, and I still maintain some contacts. Plus, I speak some Oromo. I went back a couple of years ago and met up with some of my connections. I've got some decent connections in Europe, especially in the business and financial spheres. I led the State Street Corporation's United Kingdom operations. I have some business and government contacts in Mexico and Canada. When I was an executive VP there I was primarily responsible for our international expansion in North America at the time. Then I am also a two term governor for a fairly major import/export state given it's relative size. International diplomacy is something I did dabble in, giving me some contacts in diplomatic and trade circles."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:47 am

Stevenson chuckled. "I've got a few. I've never been a Congressman or an Ambassador or anything, but I've got quite a few," he repeated.

"First of all, there's Ethiopia. I spent a few years there, and I still maintain some contacts. Plus, I speak some Oromo. I went back a couple of years ago and met up with some of my connections. I've got some decent connections in Europe, especially in the business and financial spheres. I led the State Street Corporation's United Kingdom operations. I have some business and government contacts in Mexico and Canada. When I was an executive VP there I was primarily responsible for our international expansion in North America at the time. Then I am also a two term governor for a fairly major import/export state given it's relative size. International diplomacy is something I did dabble in, giving me some contacts in diplomatic and trade circles."

"The President will be happy to hear that, what foreign policy moves of the administration have you been most happy with?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:58 am

"I supported the President's unequivocal support for the victorious operations of our armed services in Syria. For 8 years we had one of the weakest commanders-in-chief in American history. Not only did he offer only weak support for our military, but he did so in tandem with a criminal Foggy Bottom and a track record of undermining international institutions. That left a message. Our enemies no longer feared us, and our allies no longer trusted us. But, under President Reed, we have begun to claw our way back to power and legitimacy on the international stage through fighting and winning a great battle in the war on terror. The Dudley tax and balanced budget Ammendment have allowed us to move towards fiscal prudence and independence which I believe have sent an equally strong message that we are still want to hold our place in the global order. We are still the super power."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Sanabel wrote:

"I supported the President's unequivocal support for the victorious operations of our armed services in Syria. For 8 years we had one of the weakest commanders-in-chief in American history. Not only did he offer only weak support for our military, but he did so in tandem with a criminal Foggy Bottom and a track record of undermining international institutions. That left a message. Our enemies no longer feared us, and our allies no longer trusted us. But, under President Reed, we have begun to claw our way back to power and legitimacy on the international stage through fighting and winning a great battle in the war on terror. The Dudley tax and balanced budget Ammendment have allowed us to move towards fiscal prudence and independence which I believe have sent an equally strong message that we are still want to hold our place in the global order. We are still the super power."

"Which decisions or policies have you disagreed the most with?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:34 pm

"During the withdrawal from Syria, I believe the administration also made the decision to remove the United States enforced no-fly zone from the country. This is a mistake, as it provides an opening for a resurgent Iran and Russia, or even a video vindictive to enter the vacuum that we leave. Maintaining a no-fly zone, continuing to bolster the coalition and reassure our regional allies such as Israel would be imperative in my opinion. I believe this administration is failing diplomatically by not prioritizing the integrity and strength of NATO and other institutions straddling the Atlantic. The post war order is very much at risk now that Turkey has left the bloc and France has elected an extremist government. It's an order we have to preserve in some form in order to face the challenges of the 21st century, and I'm not certain the administration has seen what a crisis this is thus far. We need to immediately isolate and neutralize any concerns with the integrity of the American-European alliance before we can face the threats of the countries I've mentioned, as well as China which is likely the greatest threat of all. As someone with business experience on almost every continent, including Asia now through Raytheon, this is the perspective I've been able to glean."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:56 pm

"During the withdrawal from Syria, I believe the administration also made the decision to remove the United States enforced no-fly zone from the country. This is a mistake, as it provides an opening for a resurgent Iran and Russia, or even a video vindictive to enter the vacuum that we leave. Maintaining a no-fly zone, continuing to bolster the coalition and reassure our regional allies such as Israel would be imperative in my opinion. I believe this administration is failing diplomatically by not prioritizing the integrity and strength of NATO and other institutions straddling the Atlantic. The post war order is very much at risk now that Turkey has left the bloc and France has elected an extremist government. It's an order we have to preserve in some form in order to face the challenges of the 21st century, and I'm not certain the administration has seen what a crisis this is thus far. We need to immediately isolate and neutralize any concerns with the integrity of the American-European alliance before we can face the threats of the countries I've mentioned, as well as China which is likely the greatest threat of all. As someone with business experience on almost every continent, including Asia now through Raytheon, this is the perspective I've been able to glean."

"If confirmed as Secretary what would your first task be? Your top priority?"

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:28 am

"As I've alluded to before, Simon, in order to put out the fires that are Russia, Iran, China, and terror, we first have to make sure our back yard isn't on fire.

Winston successfully isolated and marginalized the state with the largest military in Europe. Turkey isn't a great beacon of peace and freedom, and sure, maybe they don't belong in NATO- but Winston did not even consult our allies in doing it. If nothin' else we certainly want them somewhat in our corner against Russia and Iran.

So on my first day as Acting Secretary of State I'm going to fly to Turkey. I will offer them humanitarian assistance for their refugee crisis in exchange for a full restoration of our bilateral relationship, though I will likely not offer a restoration of their NATO membership. This could quite easily fail, as I understand President Reed has given implicit support for Kurdish autonomy and independence. Should relations with Turkey devolve further, I will advice the Central Intelligence Agency to provide covert material support to the Armenians, so that we can maintain tensions between Turkey and Russia and Iran, Armenia's key allies. Meanwhile, publicly, we need to put out two other fires in our back yard- we would have to restore our relationship with Europe given our track record of undermining and ignoring them under Winston, and we have to address the recession that is hitting both side of the Atlantic. I believe the best way of doing this would be to re-open negotiations for a free trade agreement with the European Union. We would maintain a more transparent negotiation process, and leverage the recession to press compromise, and make sure things go far more effectively than the TTIP.

Once we can secure our post war institutions, bolster our historic alliances, and prevent Turkey from burning us, we can address the other crises at hand. I'd like to push to re-establish the Syrian no-fly zone, expand our financial efforts in Africa to counter the Chinese, and protect the state of Israel. I believe this course of action would also allow for us to avoid armed conflict, as we would be re-affirming our place in the world, militarily, institutionally, and economically."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:44 am

"As I've alluded to before, Simon, in order to put out the fires that are Russia, Iran, China, and terror, we first have to make sure our back yard isn't on fire.

Winston successfully isolated and marginalized the state with the largest military in Europe. Turkey isn't a great beacon of peace and freedom, and sure, maybe they don't belong in NATO- but Winston did not even consult our allies in doing it. If nothin' else we certainly want them somewhat in our corner against Russia and Iran.

So on my first day as Acting Secretary of State I'm going to fly to Turkey. I will offer them humanitarian assistance for their refugee crisis in exchange for a full restoration of our bilateral relationship, though I will likely not offer a restoration of their NATO membership. This could quite easily fail, as I understand President Reed has given implicit support for Kurdish autonomy and independence. Should relations with Turkey devolve further, I will advice the Central Intelligence Agency to provide covert material support to the Armenians, so that we can maintain tensions between Turkey and Russia and Iran, Armenia's key allies. Meanwhile, publicly, we need to put out two other fires in our back yard- we would have to restore our relationship with Europe given our track record of undermining and ignoring them under Winston, and we have to address the recession that is hitting both side of the Atlantic. I believe the best way of doing this would be to re-open negotiations for a free trade agreement with the European Union. We would maintain a more transparent negotiation process, and leverage the recession to press compromise, and make sure things go far more effectively than the TTIP.

Once we can secure our post war institutions, bolster our historic alliances, and prevent Turkey from burning us, we can address the other crises at hand. I'd like to push to re-establish the Syrian no-fly zone, expand our financial efforts in Africa to counter the Chinese, and protect the state of Israel. I believe this course of action would also allow for us to avoid armed conflict, as we would be re-affirming our place in the world, militarily, institutionally, and economically."

"I think its a sound plan,I doubt the president will agree with your 'covert material support' section of that proposal. Otherwise I think the president will like what you have to say. What is the biggest misstep in the foreign policy of the White House so far?"
Last edited by Dentali on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse