NATION

PASSWORD

The Luxurious Wasteland [CANCELLED, SEE REBOOT]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The Palmetto
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

The Luxurious Wasteland [CANCELLED, SEE REBOOT]

Postby The Palmetto » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:05 am

The Luxurious Wasteland

Due to complications, I have decided to reboot this once more, but with higher quality writing. If you found this thread but are still interested, check out the link below.

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?ns=1&f=31&t=410317

Have you ever wondered what would happen if society ended in a global scale, but wasn't irradiated? What new life forms would arise, and how would humanity deal with this?

The Luxurious Wasteland takes place in a post-apocalyptic American Eastern Coast 14,000 years after a large meteor impact caused society to collapse, but not even robots from that time know this. But it's not all a dry hellhole as you may think. The Southern coast as lush forests and gorgeous beaches, while the North is covered in snowy forests and conifers. But, as luxurious as the environment may be, it has its downsides. The forests are abundant with giant insects, terrestrial crocodiles, and mammals are almost non-existent. Strangely enough, there are also a wide variety of evolved crayfish. From simple swimmers to complex gliders, you can't go 2 steps without spotting one.
But there's intelligent life, too. Human settlements are abundant are in New England, simply called the North, while some smaller ones dot the South, even though these are under constant attack by the wildlife. The Luxurious Wasteland follows a group of Southern survivors looking to band together and make the perilous journey to the North. They will come across many small factions, and discover horrible truths about their world while evading mysterious forces and blatantly dangerous threats. It will start out in the ruins of an old junkyard next to the ruins of an old town in South Carolina.

IC: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=408819

Before the war, around the 2050's, the USA and it's close allies were at war with several South American countries, which had turned communist and refused to trade with them. They committed many civil rights violations by killing capitalists and capitalist sympathizers, so they were eager to use this as an excuse to claim their resources. They tested many new weapons on them, ranging from giant robots to biological abominations. China wasn't communist anymore, so they had no issues with this, and helped them with robotics. This spouted a golden age in robotics, allowing fully independent A.I. to be created. This would also create several new, quickly evolving artificial species that would evolve to spread into the North American jungles after the apocalypse.

Factions in the South, where TLW takes place, don't really have much of a hold on their claimed land and are small. Why? The many monstrosities roaming the Eastern Coast are hard to fight and are very common, so making any settlements or claiming land without a heavily armed, defensive perimeter is near-impossible. Unlike many post-apocalypse, sci-fi universes, Raiders don't exist. Working guns aren't available to humans, everyone is stuck using melee weapons or just simple bows and arrows.
if you have any questions about the lore or wish to add to the lore, ask me and I'll answer your question, or canonize your contribution.

Rules:
1) As the creator I always have the final say, I can choose to deny any application for any reason.
2) No god-modding or controlling another's character without their consent.
3) Normal players may only RP as a human, robot, or bipedal crayfish.
4) Your character may not start out with a gun or similar weapon, any guns created before the apocalypse have been decayed. Guns will be earned as the RP goes on.
5) There is no limit to characters, but I expect you to be reasonable.
6) No flaming or being rude to other players.
7) Keep it PG-14, gore is allowed but don't go overboard.
8 ) If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, I love answering them, and you are not being a bother.
9) No magic allowed, period.
10) No one-liners allowed, but don't go overboard, either. Try to have at least a paragraph.
11) When making a robotic character, try to avoid making them too advanced. Advanced tech will be added soon, and robot characters can be upgraded.
12) It's been 14,000 years since the apocalypse, act like it! No original clothes would be in a usable condition, and even basic modern day knowledge would be unknown unless your character specializes as a historian or if they're a robot. Same goes for terminologies, names, etc.
13) If you want to make some lore that would be significant for the universe, like an organization or anything pre-apocalypse, ask me first.
14) Co-ops will be added later on if this RP works out

Active Roster
Tyler C. Boyler - Boejoe
MAAP, TR-0JAN 211, Virgil 543 - The Imperial Regions of Commerce
Orion-5 - The Imperium Empires
Anna Dobringo - Hothnia
Hrothkiir Builds-The-Pyre - The Holy Empire of Steel
Scrappy - The Palmetto
Theresa - Prusselanden
Nurk "Boot" Samson - Zeclik

Was your application accepted, but your character not placed on the roster? I wait until a person has sent their first reply in, then I add their character(s).

Humans: Average human, what can I say? They typically live in small settlements, with religious cults being commonplace. There are also wandering tribes, plenty of loners too. They need to eat, drink, and sleep, but are the only species who can tame animals. They are also some sub-species that have evolved, but they do not have any drastically different traits.

Robots: There's a wide variety of robots, but most of them come from before the apocalypse, managing to keep themselves intact. Some are relatively new, however, but know nothing about how they were created. They're almost always in small groups or as loners. They don't need to eat, drink, or sleep, are good mechanics, but have to repair themselves with scarce parts. Their only source of energy are their solar panels, and they will run out of energy if they lose them.

Bipedal Crayfish: Very strange, 7ft tall crayfish. It's almost as if someone made a crayfish gigantic, then added legs to them. They need to eat, sleep, and drink, but are extremely durable and strong, and can survive underwater for several hours. However, they need to eat large amounts of food, are slow, and have below average intellect.

If you are a human, you can start out with only one species but tame more as the game goes on.

Therimu: The result of ancient genetic experiments, Therimu are terrifying, 10ft tall emus with gigantic claws and are extremely territorial towards other creatures, especially bipedal crayfish. They have thick hide, and killing them is extremely difficult. They can not be tamed as adults by humans, but can be raised from eggs to be used as mounts and defense. You may not start out with one. The opportunity may arise to get an egg, but the hatchlings grow extremely slowly.

Gliding Crayfish: 2ft long crayfish with vibrant wings. They may harass humans and other creatures, but only attack smaller creatures by swooping down and impaling them. They can be tamed by humans by dropping your weapon, and giving them food. From that point, they will follow you and "beg" for food. After doing this several times, they will become a loyal companion used to harass enemies and gather food. You may start out with one if human. There is also a smaller subspecies called the Surfing Crayfish, which is semi-aquatic. You may start out with two if human.

Horror Bird: 3ft tall flightless birds. They hunt in small groups and are worthy fighters. They are skilled with hunting and scavenging, and domesticated females will lay one egg every two days unless they are incubating. They can be raised as eggs or fed food, causing them to follow and eventually bond with you. They can be tamed for companionship, egg production, and scavenging. You can start out with a single adult, multiple eggs, and 3 chicks.

Giant Roach: 1ft long, giant roaches. These creatures can't be tamed but are a common source of food. They have limited light capabilities and can swarm any would-be attackers.

Carolina Catfish: 4ft long catfish found lurking in shallow waters next to trees. Can not be tamed, but can be harvested for food.

Invasive Monitors: 5ft long aggressive lizards with a venomous bite. Can not be tamed, but can be harvested for food and hide.

Land Eel: Brightly colored lungfish about 4ft long, they can slither and breathe on land as long as they're moist. They can be tamed by being fed once, but can't be eaten and only serve as companions and minnow/crayfish catchers. You may start out with one if human.

Giant Scorpion: 2ft long scorpion with thick hide and dangerous, but not fatal, sting. They can't be tamed, but can be harvested for food and hide.

Baitfish: Schooling fish the size of your finger. Can't be tamed, but can be used for bait.

Phylocherax: Blue crayfish about 6in. Can't be tamed, but can be used for food and bait.

Poland Balls: 6inch long Isopods with varying colors, typically matching up with that of a flag with two fake eyes. Can be tamed merely by picking them up, but serve no purpose but companionship. You may start out with 3, regardless of race.

Want to make a custom animal? Just give me a description and if you can tame it or not, and I'll see about adding it. There are WAY more creatures, but these are the only ones I have mentioned so far.

Name:

Species:

Appearance:

Personality: (optional)

Skills:

Weaknesses:

Bio: (optional)

Equipment:

Name: Scrappy

Species: Robot

Appearance: 7ft tall robot made of junk, with an boxy TV for a chest and a crash-test dummy head with cameras installed.

Personality: He's charismatic with a large ego, but sticks up for his friends. He tends to be survival-minded, however, and would sacrifice those who aren't close to him without regret.

Skills: Skilled mechanic, with a classy voice box making him charismatic. He has basic knowledge of the pre-apocalypse world, too.

Weaknesses: Sloppy fighter, large ego, chaotic body design means that hitting him in the right spot could disable him.

Bio: Unknown, he currently rests deactivated in a junkyard.

Equipment: Tool kit stored in his chest, and a long hedge-trimmer blade attached to a handle.

Factions are a work-in-progress.

The Crus Peregrinus: A mysterious group of recently built robots up north. They have one large outpost stationed in the South and several scattered, smaller ones. No one knows their motives, and no one knows where their outposts are. However, what is known is that they are secretive and not friendly to anyone who threatens their secrecy. Their signature flag is white with a black cog. You may not control one, not yet, that is.

The Palmetto Guard: A loosely-connected group of humans living in heavily guarded forts, the citizens pay taxes and each fort has its own small militia. The soldiers are skilled in survival and combat, and typically go out to hunt for food and/or supplies. Their signature flag is a white flag with a red star and a palmetto in the center. They have a population of 1,400, and you may control a soldier with a melee weapon.

The above two factions are controlled by me, I will allow players to control factions after they've been here for a while

The lore of TLW is surprisingly deep and complex, as I've been working on it for almost two years. So don't be deceived by the vague introduction.
Last edited by The Palmetto on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
A rowdy redneck from South Carolina who tries to RP every now and again.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

Boejoe
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Boejoe » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:46 am

Tag
we are a democracy
random stuff
boejoe is located in the west pacific | IATA Member
the sonicland of boejoe is one of our states
boejoe news: there was a fire last night in tyler city. It was easily stopped but could have caused mass damage and boejoe is at one of its richest times. Boejoe advice: when life gives you lemons, sue life for not making lemonade, sue the supermarket who life bought the lemons from, sue the farm the supermarket got the lemons from, then sue the person who picked the lemons.
Thermonuclear arsenal: 15989 Thermonuclear missles, 12976 Thermonuclear bombs.

The Vrree Nations
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Vrree Nations » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:11 pm

What happened to the first version of this RP? Is this a reboot?

The Imperial Regions of Commerce
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Imperial Regions of Commerce » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:13 pm

I stopped posting when everyone else did... sorries
Last edited by The Imperial Regions of Commerce on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:13 pm

The Vrree Nations wrote:What happened to the first version of this RP? Is this a reboot?

Reboot, the first one died unfortunately. I'm going to be more careful this time and wait for more people to join in a certain area, while putting restrictions on times you can insert your character.

It's fine, my dude.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

The Holy Empire of Steel
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of Steel » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Tag for sure, rp sounds interesting! However, I'll wait for some more apps to be postes before posting my own.

The Vrree Nations
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Vrree Nations » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:57 pm

I'm just about ready to take the plunge and create a character app, but there's just one thing I'm unsure of.

The character I have planned is associated with a faction I have in mind that could potentially be a story-breaker, since I'm assuming you want our characters to make their way north gradually. That being said, the character has been separated from them, and the faction does not have a permanent presence in South Carolina, so it might be a while before any other members of the faction are encountered, if they ever are. I just wanted to give you a heads up before I go ahead with it. If you're curious, I could PM you with what I have in mind.

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:09 pm

The Vrree Nations wrote:I'm just about ready to take the plunge and create a character app, but there's just one thing I'm unsure of.

The character I have planned is associated with a faction I have in mind that could potentially be a story-breaker, since I'm assuming you want our characters to make their way north gradually. That being said, the character has been separated from them, and the faction does not have a permanent presence in South Carolina, so it might be a while before any other members of the faction are encountered, if they ever are. I just wanted to give you a heads up before I go ahead with it. If you're curious, I could PM you with what I have in mind.

Go for it!

Zyvalia
Ambassador

Founded: May 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zyvalia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:03 pm

This has me interested :)
Still Illan, and still kickin'

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Zyvalia wrote:This has me interested :)

Good, very good.

The Vrree Nations
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Vrree Nations » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:11 pm

OK, here we go.

Name: Bonny Trafalgar of the Merrimacks

Species: Human

Appearance:

Personality: enthusiastic, observant, resourceful, adventurous

Skills: sailing, navigation, climbing, archery, melee fighting, basic maintenance & repair

Weaknesses: doesn’t know much about surviving in the interior, ignorant of the old world and high technology, illiterate, doesn’t like authority

Bio: Bonny is from the Merrimack fleet of the Marines people. The Merrimacks are currently the southernmost of the Marines fleets, having made their home on Oracoke Island off the coast of what was once North Carolina. Bonny was sent on a treasure-hunting (read: scavenging) expedition to the mainland. Shortly after making camp, she was sent to gather firewood. While she was away, disaster struck. When she arrived back at camp, the place was a scene of chaos and destruction. The campsite was crawling with vicious beasts who had apparently attacked her crewmates in her absence. There was no sign of the boat they came in, so some of them had apparently managed to get away leaving Bonny for dead. Fortunately, she was able to avoid detection by the monsters. Unfortunately, she was stranded, alone in a strange country. Unable to salvage anything from the camp, she began trekking inland, as had been the original plan, hoping to find a settlement before the jungle caught up with her.

Equipment: iron cutlass, iron hatchet, small iron knife, bow and chitin-tipped arrows, simple clothing, flint & tinder, water canteen (mostly full), map of the eastern seaboard (semi-accurate, not waterproof), magnetic compass, spyglass, roll of bandages, Brazilball
Last edited by The Vrree Nations on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boejoe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Boejoe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Wait... can the appearance be a description? Or does it have to be a image?
we are a democracy
random stuff
boejoe news: there was a fire last night in tyler city. It was easily stopped but could have caused mass damage and boejoe is at one of its richest times. Boejoe advice: when life gives you lemons, sue life for not making lemonade, sue the supermarket who life bought the lemons from, sue the farm the supermarket got the lemons from, then sue the person who picked the lemons.

Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Imperial Regions of Commerce » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:38 pm

can the robots be fairly advanced?

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Boejoe wrote:Wait... can the appearance be a description? Or does it have to be a image?

I'm perfectly fine with either!

The Imperial Regions of Commerce wrote:can the robots be fairly advanced?

Tell me what the advancement is and I'll look over it.

Also, Vrree, accepted!

The Holy Empire of Steel
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of Steel » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:47 pm

So, I started thinking of creating a character who was a member of an isolated cult located deep within the swamps of Loisiana/New Orleans. The cult perhaps revering/worshiping sentient Crayfish or something. Would something along those lines work?

Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Imperial Regions of Commerce » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Can they float around, shoot lasers, and be super intelligent?

(basically a moniter from halo)
Last edited by The Imperial Regions of Commerce on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boejoe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Boejoe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Name: Tyler C. Boyer

Species: human

Appearance: Messy, curly, light brown hair, ripped clothes, muscular, long legs, long arms, big shoulders, brown eyes, big feet, 6 feet, 7 inches

Personality: Tyler is very cheerful. He likes to be happy and look at the bright side of things. He also isn't very social. He likes to do things solo. He can get mad really easily and likes to be lazy. He also likes robots and computers. He also likes nature and farming. He likes going on adventures and doing crazy things. He also likes tinkering with things and seeing how things work. He likes researching and really loves science.

Skills: engineering, programming, inventing, hunting, fishing, farming, running a business, good leadership, cooking

Weaknesses: No obedience, no common sense, not very social

Bio:

About him.

Tyler is 26. He likes tinkering with robots and computers. He also likes exploring things and researching. He really loves science and thinks science is awesome! When he was a kid, he likes farming. He also liked tinkering with toys or things that he found and to this day, he still likes to do that. He always likes to go by a stream and just admire nature. He isn't the kind of person who likes to go fight. he isn't very social. He likes to do things solo. He mostly likes to go find things to use to make stuff. For example, he has made tons of bows and arrows for his family. He also has made some medicines and sometimes cooks. He likes to go and find animals in the wild and likes to be happy about life.

He was born in a small settlement, on the coast. While he was in the settlement, he learned about robots, computers, and programming. When he was 9 though, the settlement was attacked and his family fled. They ended up next to a stream in the jungle. This is where they built 3 huts. Two of them to live in, the other, a bathroom. Since then, he has lived here with his family happily and thankfully, nothing bad has happened to his family at there huts. At least, not yet...
Also, one of his ancestors, 14000 years ago, owned a company that made tons of these robots. Tyler doesn't know this. At least, not yet...

Equipment: Knife, fishing rod, metal, wrench, bow and arrow, spyglass
Last edited by Boejoe on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:00 am, edited 9 times in total.
we are a democracy
random stuff

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:53 pm

The Holy Empire of Steel wrote:So, I started thinking of creating a character who was a member of an isolated cult located deep within the swamps of Loisiana/New Orleans. The cult perhaps revering/worshiping sentient Crayfish or something. Would something along those lines work?

Works for me!

Oh and Boejoe, it seems good so far. I'll wait until it's finished to accept it.

North Timeria
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North Timeria » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:54 pm

tag

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:10 pm

The Imperial Regions of Commerce wrote:Can they float around, shoot lasers, and be super intelligent?

(basically a moniter from halo)

1) Unless they had something cumbersome and primitive like a ballon and primitive flapping wings, then no.

2) No, breaks the firearms rule

3) Maybe, but I would like knowledge of the old world to be limited (a lot of that is spoilery, after all), and I would want some sort of drawback (They're physical weak, can't fight well, etc.)

I don't mind smart characters, or robots who remember the old world, I just have a limit.

Boejoe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Boejoe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Finished my app
we are a democracy
random stuff

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Boejoe wrote:Name: Tyler C. Boyer

Appearance: Messy, curly, light brown hair, ripped clothes, muscular, long legs, long arms, big shoulders, brown eyes, big feet, 6 feet, 7 inches

Personality: Tyler is very cheerful. He likes to be happy and look at the bright side of things. He also isn't very social. He likes to do things solo. He can get mad really easily and likes to be lazy. He also likes robots and computers. He also likes nature and farming. He likes going on adventures and doing crazy things. He also likes tinkering with things and seeing how things work. He likes researching and really loves science.

Skills: engineering, programming, inventing, hunting, fishing, farming, running a business, good leadership, cooking

Bio:

About him.

Tyler is 26. He likes tinkering with robots and computers. He also likes exploring things and researching. He really loves science and thinks science is awesome! When he was a kid, he likes farming. He also liked tinkering with toys or things that he found and to this day, he still likes to do that. He always likes to go by a stream and just admire nature. He isn't the kind of person who likes to go fight. he isn't very social. He likes to do things solo. He mostly likes to go find things to use to make stuff. For example, he has made tons of bows and arrows for his family. He also has made some medicines and sometimes cooks. He likes to go and find animals in the wild and likes to be happy about life.

He was born in a small settlement, on the coast. When he was 9 though, the settlement was attacked and his family fled. They ended up next to a stream in the jungle. This is where they built 2 huts. One to live in, the other, a bathroom. Since then, he has lived here with his family happily and thankfully, nothing bad has happened to his family at there huts. At least, not yet...

Equipment: Knife, fishing rod, metal, wrench, bow and arrow

Accepted. Where did he learn computers and stuff? Either a robot or another person trained by a robot I assume. It exists in humans but isn't commonly known, when large settlements start to make great advancements in science they end up going in flames for "mysterious" reasons.

Boejoe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Boejoe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:32 pm

The Palmetto wrote:
Boejoe wrote:Name: Tyler C. Boyer

Bio:

About him.

He was born in a small settlement, on the coast. When he was 9 though, the settlement was attacked and his family fled. They ended up next to a stream in the jungle. This is where they built 2 huts. One to live in, the other, a bathroom. Since then, he has lived here with his family happily and thankfully, nothing bad has happened to his family at there huts. At least, not yet...

Equipment: Knife, fishing rod, metal, wrench, bow and arrow

Accepted. Where did he learn computers and stuff? Either a robot or another person trained by a robot I assume. It exists in humans but isn't commonly known, when large settlements start to make great advancements in science they end up going in flames for "mysterious" reasons.

Another person taught him about programming and computers
we are a democracy
random stuff

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Boejoe wrote:
The Palmetto wrote:

Another person taught him about programming and computers

Alright, I'm cool with it

Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Imperial Regions of Commerce » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Name: MAAP (mobile armored attack platform)

Species: robot

Appearance:
The guns are all deactivated, and the robot cannot bring them online due too safety protocol

Personality: (normal) calm, experienced, logical (battle mode) harsh, cruel, cold, calculating

Skills: battle tactics, enhanced programming, scanners, knowledge of environment

Weaknesses: rusting parts, slow, limited mobility, large size, can be overridden and controlled by a pilot

Bio: MAAP was another military machine created by the Americans. He was newly constructed once the asteroid hit, but he was safely stored inside a storage facility. He accidentally came online, and then began to roam the land. Most of his aggressive programming has worn away, and the robot has not had his memory cleaned, and has created somewhat of a personality. Truly a gentle giant, he is also prepared to use his military programming in cases of danger.

Equipment: frontal legs, extendable rear leg, scanners, old crates of unknown cargo, various unless weapons, spotlights, sirens, radio

PS: He is about the size of an AT-AT
Last edited by The Imperial Regions of Commerce on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse