NATION

PASSWORD

Intrigue in Court [IC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Qhe the Younger
The Blue Palace

Qhe sat in his chair watching the courtiers come and go for some time, becoming increasingly less interest in the musings of the ballroom. The fact was that every face, new and old, could contain a plotter's mind behind those masks, and there was simply little he could do to detect them for now. It was, after all, the first ball of a new emperor's reign. There was too many eager political hatchlings running around to discern any changes in the air. Especially since the political atmosphere was a ravenous torrent already.

Once Qhe had gotten all the amusement he could from watching the hassle inflicted on the emperor's guards by all the approaches, he went to sipping chilled wine and playing with a handful of coins from his pockets. Despite this, he still honed in with sharp ears to specific areas of discussion. Particularly, the emperor talking with the marshal.

"Troop movements in the northern territories... his mind raced at the possibilities. It didn't take long to come to a conclusion that it was likely borderland attacks from neighbors or heated unrest in the area. Either way, it further illustrated just how deep the wounds of the empire bled. While men and women danced and laughed to the tune of a new emperor, and new chances for power, the very land outside of their blind little world was starting to burn. It wouldn't be long before that burn turned to raging fire.
A raging fire that would turn their pretty little dream to ashes.

From that point forward, he became acutely aware of the whispers coming off the throne pedestal, though he continued at his actions of complete apathy, picking at breads and yawning ever so often. It was better that way, so that others were unaware of his spying by sound.
It wasn't how his father would do it. That man would have sat straight in his chair, proud and upright, serving his liege with utmost diligence and care. He would be the shining paragon in the room, the eyes of a hawk who's only design was to snatch the mice his master demanded for, while at the same time tempering that command so that only justice reigned in the empire.
That man, was dead, and in his place sat his only son. A son who understood it required more than righteousness to achieve the best results for the realm—even if it mean't spying on his own liege.

He watched a messenger approach the throne, clearly unaware of the taboo that had been set by the previous emperor. Qhe listened this time as well, when the emporer revealed the contents of the message to the marshal.
He cringed slightly at the news. If revolts were happening right outside the capital, then the empire was almost bled dry. Suddenly, he couldn't tell if he regretted his return, or if he should praise whatever divinity was out there for sending him in time.

Qhe didn't move when the emperor stood from his seat and sauntered down the steps, nor did he turn as the marshal and Roland left the room in a different direction. Perhaps it was improper not to do so, but at the moment his mind was minnow darting across the ponds of thought. In his mind, he walked silently in the grove he had walked all his life. The grove of contemplation.

Once those parties had made their exit, he was sure the ball was going to die down with the disappearance of Brandon. Still, now was his time to take another good look at those around before he himself abandoned the masquerade.
It was then that he first truly noticed Prince Corineus of Alba, the Steward, and his wife, Princess Talia. With their marriage, that made Corineus the imperial brother-in-law, a strong if not potentially fatal position to have in these early times.

Qhe stood from his chair and dusted off his buff colored robes, which had turned to a darker tan with the loss of light. The braziers in the room did little to remedy that.
A servant came and quickly removed the chair as Qhe set his focus on Corineus and his wife. The prince was only five years Qhe's senior, yet due to the makeup of the imperial court, was more a contemporary of Qhe's father rather than Qhe himself. Still, the two men were acquainted, if not as much as would be expected of two men from the same generation.

Qhe couldn't tell which had aged better. On one hand, the Prince had clearly lost much to the stresses of his job both past and present, but Qhe himself was turning white half a decade earlier and bore some marks from his long travels.
With the coast clear, Qhe's cat moved from the shadows of the crowd and climbed it's way up onto the throne and slinked around the pedestal, pacing it's master somewhat.

The royal adviser approached Prince Corineus directly, hands folded before him in the cuffs of his robes.
"Prince Corineus, Princess Talia.", he said, giving each a bow.
"If you wouldn't mind, Princess, I'd like to borrow your husband for a moment. I'm afraid we have some matters of import to discuss."
Last edited by Yuzhou on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have been previously known as Apfeldonia and Thimbyrland

Oh way down south in the land of cotton...

Water Earth Fire Air

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:03 am

The High Empire of Vexia
The Blue Palace, in the City of Nab'eesh
Under the Sovereignty of Brandon Vixis I

Prince Corineus of Alba

The Prince of Alba did not smile as the emperor instructed his vassal King Michael to refer to him with name only in private, not public yet he felt a sense of relief. At least the emperor seemed intent to upheld some protocol in public settings. That was all Corineus asked. While he could count on one hand the number of times over the past decade he had referred to the then crown prince, his own brother-in-law, by name and had no intention of ever doing so again, in public or private, a solemn and dignified behavior in public was all he asked for.

The Prince's relief was ended as a messenger approached the imperial person with a message. The prince clenched his fist in anger as the emperor addressed the commander of his guard, revealing the content of the message. Rebels, Corineus hated such more even than he hated court sycophants. Well maybe they were a close second. Certainly as he contemplated the rebels his antipathy towards so much of his own class. Casting a scathing glance at the courtiers enjoying their festivities while the very heart of the empire was threatened by an uprising of the peasantry he wondered how many great states would have fallen because its elite indulged in decadent parties while its people starved and nurtured anger and resentment towards their rulers. The Graces preserve Vexia from such a fate.

The Prince of Alba gave the emperor a stiff reverent bow as he departed the unseemly celebrations to deal with the uprising. Beside the prince his wife made a rather more casual curtesy towards her brother. As the emperor had departed the room the prince rose from his deep bow. With one last contemptible gaze towards the celebratory courtiers he turned to his wife and whispered to her: "With the emperor departed I am sure no one will begrudge us if we take our leave." Princess Talia gave her husband a small at once teasing and innocuous smirk. He had observed not the glance she had cast after the Emperor's Sword. "So soon?" She asked. "Surely the whole of the imperial family cannot leave prematurely." She suggested.

About to offer a sharp rejoinder the Prince of Alba was prevented from doing so by Qhe the Younger. Certainly not about to have a marital disagreement in full view of others the Prince gave the royal advisor a curt nod as his wife gave the slightest, almost imperceptible, of curtsies, the ones she reserved for those she deemed of inferior rank, which for her amounted to everyone but the emperor.

As it was the princess that the royal advisor had addressed she was the one who answered him. "Lord Qhe." She said. "It is no trouble; I know well that the affairs of the empire waits for no man or woman." She declared, dismissing with a majestic wave of her hand her husband and the royal advisor. Then she strolled casually a few steps away from, placing herself right behind the throne. Seemingly naturally her hand seemed to come to rest upon the armrest of the throne, almost caressing it.

The Prince of Alba coughed but for a long lingering moment Princess Talia's hand rested intimately on the throne. Then she sighed and removed her hand with a quiet chuckle. The Prince of Alba, uncomfortable with his wife's behavior turned to the royal advisor. His personal antipathy for the man aside the prince reminded himself that whatever else could be said for the royal advisor his tutorship of the emperor seemed to have been successful. That was not nothing. Jakar had once attempted to lure Corineus to court with the promise of an imperial tutorship. But Corineus did not envy the royal advisor in the least. The man's success was commendable even if his manner's were somewhat lacking. "Lord Qhe." The prince said with a polite, but curt, nod of his head. "What matters do you wish to discuss with me?" He added bluntly.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Greater Slavic Union
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Slavic Union » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:08 am

The High Empire of Vexia

King Michal Mávrimov of Žeřičkov

Obviously he knew what the Emperor would have answered. He, however, did not expect him to be so... unwilling to talk to an old friend. He nodded to what the Emperor said, and then answered him. "Of course, Your Majesty." he said. "I see you have very... pressing issues. I am not going to interfere with your rulng about them, but remember, My Lord, that Michal of Žeřičkov is here to help any time you need." he then left his place, and walked around the hall. At a certain point, he could see the Emperor disappearing into a corridor.
"The Crown's weight may be too much for him... he had no experience in command before now..." he muttered.

Michal's mind was in that moment going wild, and he could visualize each of his memories from the time of his youth, right in front of him. He had been educated to be a believer in the Four Graces, and sure he was. This had left him with a huge sense of honour, one which may be found only in a handful of people each era. He had also been forced into a position of authority, after having been taught how to fight, how to ride, and after having gained one very vast knowledge in many subjects, comprising History and Literature above all the others.
His first poem... was one he wrote to a girl when he was still young... She was a noble, and lived at the 14 years old Michal's court in the Duchy of Łóžębię, one of the Kingdom's main towns. That court was tremendously active, under the artistic point of view, so much that people even got usd to say "Žeřičkov naše mysl, ale Łóžębię naše srdce" (which would translate as "Žeřičkov is our mind, but Łóžębię is our heart"), and that girl was one of the mst important people in the court.

Born to a very reknown nobleman and a rich merchant woman, Anželika Ivanivna Sklenářová was a young noblewoman, aged just 13, when she first met Michal during a lesson. They were lucky enough to have the same instructors, and shared the lessons with many other boys and girls. However, for each of them only the other one existed.
Combining the Vexian language with his Kingdom's, Michal had written a poem to this girl. It read of how did she become a light in his life, and of how she was important to him, ending with stating that both of them were the other's, and that they were, wiping out the previous "you" and "she" pronouns he had used.
This girl had been Michal's wife for quite a time, but then, one day, she disappeared. She had just gone into the woods with her group of five guards to hunt, but none of them never returned to the castle. Just three long, very long years had passed since that day.

Now however was not the time to think about it. He could have cried later, as he had already done on the road to the Capitol more than once. Each day that passed was marked by tears, wet tears that fell down his very white skin, marking it in an undeletable way. Maybe it was not understandable from the outside, but it was from the inside.
He had to stop, he tought, as crying now would have been humiliating. His love would not have accepted it, not at all, nor would she have withstood his attempts to justify himself to her.
Finally, he managed to stop. He cleaned his face with the mantel he had on his sholders, and then sighed heavily. By this time, he had already managed to get out of the crowd, unseen, and could clean his face without the fear of anybody noticing him. He looked himself in a mirror, and saw that his face was just as before: "clean".

He knew he should not have gone that tangent, but the memories were just... too strong for him to be able to resist each single time it happened. He turned, and walked through the hall, with the guards watching him from behind, ready to get to know some new vassals of the Empire.

He saw a girl, maybe much younger than him, who asked for a brandy. From the accent she was one woman from the North. She did not like them... they were... wild people, not like men and women in Žeřičkov, one of the most cultured parts of the Empire. Nonetheless, he neared her.
"Good day, Ma'am" he said, bowing a bit, and then standing tall again. He sat beside her.
Official Name: ZápadoSłováńský Králevství
Population: 124.480.112

King: Král Michal I Kolovrát
Population growth: 2,3%

Queen: Královna Klaudia Katmařková-Kolovrátová
PPP GDP: 5.848 billion SK (Slavic Krunas)

Heirs: Crown Prince Oleg, Crown Princess Sylvia,
Warsaw Dukess Oksana, Prince of Prague Paveł
Nominal GDP: 3.868 billion USD

Current Royal Family: Kolovrát House
Fertility Index: 2,1 childs per woman

Leolucia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Leolucia » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:58 am

Greater Slavic Union wrote:Vulgata

''Mmm... You don't smell like a butler or a mere servant. Only a king could afford to buy the perfume you are using so i may conclude that you are Michal from the kingdom of Zeric... Zerii... Zeriicok... That great kingdom in the south. It was a surprise to find you here since your people despise everything that moves or speaks in a strange accent. Are you hunting for new brides or just teasing the hearts of the poor women with no status? There are bad rumours about you in the court and the smallfolk thinks that your manliness is quite little... That's why your wife runaway from you... But luckily I don't believe in the rumours the peasants and the envy of the nobles create. I hope you are having fun, my lord... Mmm... This grape juice is so tasty.''
Last edited by Leolucia on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:35 am

Qhe the Younger
The Blue Palace

Qhe watched as Talia dismissed her husband and made her way towards the throne. He did not linger with his attention, but he did catch the woman resting her arm in such a natural position on the armrest of the chair. Even still, he could see in the Prince's face that she kept herself there for more than a brief moment.
He had known the girl since her childhood, as he had known the other imperial siblings. Since she was not his ward, he could never confirm the girl's intellect.

Now though, he knew she was dangerous. Dangerous in skill and talent, if not ambition. The royal adviser wondered how much stiff old Corineus could temper all that. More aptly, he briefly thought, how much can Corineus resist such danger? By the looks of his five children, Qhe doubted the steward could resist very much.
It was not unheard of siblings posing the greatest threat to a monarch, and so Qhe marked a special note in his mind to watch the emperor's sister a bit more closely. He gave an internal sigh. Much had changed since the days of his departure, and now he suddenly felt like he no longer knew people he had known before.

How would his father deal with this? It was simple, he knew. He could see his father now, standing before the late emperor, straight backed and noble, giving one of his primary speeches that he repeated ever so often. Qhe could hear him saying the words. The unequaled monarch employs talented men, rewards effective work, and punishes malevolent action. He knows when to apply a soft hand and when to employ a strong one, but also how to do both at the same time. If a monarch follows this path, he need not fear his ministers.
Qhe almost mouthed the last sentence physically. He had heard it enough times. That was how his father would deal with ambitious courtiers. That was not, at least completely, how Qhe would do it.

Out of all the changed people since those days in the court, Prince Corineus perhaps changed the least. For that, Qhe found himself glad.
He refocused his thoughts as the prince spoke, inquiring on the reason for Qhe's visit.

"Prince Corineus, you and me have had our...differences in the past. That I am aware of. We have our differences now, I suspect.", Qhe said with the beginnings of a sympathetic smirk rising on one side of his mouth. "However, you and I are two of the very few traveled individuals in this court. You with an army at your back, me with a satchel and staff. As a result, it may be only us that are acutely aware of the deep trouble this empire faces on the eve of it's new emperor."

He stopped for just a moment, tapping a forearm as he held an arm across his center.
"Let me get to the point. As the imperial steward, you must know about the current financial standing of the realm. As the royal adviser, I have a deep interest in understanding where the coins fall so to speak. That all being said, I think it's in the empire's best interest if we work together on the emperor's council. The Graces know so few others will. Would you mind, Prince Corineus, to enlighten me on where we stand in terms of coin?"

Water Earth Fire Air

The Valyria Empire
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Valyria Empire » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Prince Roland "The Emperor's Sword" of House Vixis-Greystark, Hand of the Emperor

It had been some time since Roland last marched against an uprising. He remembered The King of Mercanaries Rebellion, one of the kingdom's treasury had been emptied due to a war and could not pay their sell swords. The mercanararies rose up and declared that their captain would make a better king. He recalled being sent with nothing but a horse, several bags of coin and his personal arms, he had worn his traditional Hand armor, white cloak and intricate suits of white enameled scales, their fastenings for breastplate and other pieces made of silver. The so called "King" had been waiting, his siege had just started against the kingsom's capital. Roland remembered how horrendous the smell was, however as he walked in he was able to pay off most of the men to leave. However the "King" demanded that his men strike, but Roland cut down four of them with ease which made tensions high. Roland recalled demanding single combat to determine this rebellion which the "King" accepted. It wouldn't take less than a moment before the "King's" was on a spike on the castle's walls.

Then Roland snapped back when he heard that the Captain had spoken to him. He remained quiet as he talked, he spoke of studying Roland and how he did not know of his martial prowess, followed by asking if Roland would get in the way. Roland adjusted his crown for a moment and looked to the captain.

"Captain, my skill with a blade has to remain a mystery to the Emperor's enemies, if you knew where the cracks in a blade were you could easily disarm your foe. I am the Emperor's blade and must show no cracks." Roland paused and looked forward then resumed. "These peasants are dearly upset, I believe we should find the source of this uprising. We need to spare as many lives as possible, if we were to massarcase them on this day, it would create a taboo. This day would be remembered for all the lives being slaughtered."
Last edited by The Valyria Empire on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:21 pm

The High Empire of Vexia

Prince Corineus of Alba

The Prince of Alba nodded sternly and unapologetically as Qhe the Younger suggested that the pair of them had had their differences, past or present. Though he made a habit of being courteous and polite even to his most contemptible foes the Prince of Alba was a man who knew but one way to speak and act; the way of truth. Pretending to like Qhe the Younger was not something he intended to do, not even to build the unseemly political alliances that court life demanded he build. Honeyed words did not exist in the prince's vocabulary.

As the royal advisor Corineus quickly suspected the same could not be said of the former tutor of the emperor. For a moment Corineus, who despite his many years in the capital largely remained a novice in the games and schemes of courtiers, untainted by their filth, was almost convinced by the kind words of the man. Then he saw it for the flattery it was. He was briefly possessed of the notion to depart from the company of a man who would thus beguile with his words his audience. But he hesitated. Still convinced that his new sovereign liege required his aid, and required of him that he deign to partake in the scheming and sycophancy of court life, Corineus wondered. If the man spoke like a sycophant did that mean that his words were bound to be false? Could it not be that even a man who knew how to appeal to the baser instincts of men might be honorable; choosing to deploy dishonorable conduct in the name of the greater good? If not then how could Corineus himself justify to debase himself to play the power games of court in order to aid his emperor?

Torn the Prince of Alba made his choice as the royal advisor dispensed of his flattery and plainly spoke his request. Not only was the plain nature of the words that followed the flattery pleasing to the prince, but so was the request itself. Was Qhe the Younger the vilest man in all of the empire what mattered it if he asked about the state of the imperial treasury. That was a topic on which Corineus would have spoken to demons and devils themselves had they but asked. As steward he had long worried greatly about the state of the imperial finances and he saw no reason to keep his worry secret.

So the prince decided to confide in the royal advisor. "I would not advisor. The state of affairs of the imperial treasury weighs heavily on my mind and I shall baldy share my concern with your whatever differences we may have." The prince calmly declared. He paused for a moment, fidgeting with a coin purse in his belt. From it he procured three identical silver coins. He held them up before the eyes of Qhe the Younger. "Three coins my lord. One minted in the year I became steward, another minted in the year of the birth of my first son, the last minted last year. If I offered you one you would be a wise man to pick the first. Where I refuse you it, you would be wise to pick the second. For though each coin appear similar it is a fact that the first contain nearly twice as much silver as the last." The Prince of Alba declared.

Putting the coins back into his purse the prince sighed. For a man of such a stoic disposition it was a remarkable display of weakness. "To answer your query the coinage of the empire is quite literally loosing its value. Why you ask? Every year of my stewardship expenses has risen faster than revenues. The coffers are empty so we resort to loans, I myself have borrowed the empire a fortune, and to debasing the value of our coins. It wards of disaster. Barely. But the people know the coinage is loosing value so prices rise and the legionaries demand increases in their salaries. Twice during my tenure the salary of the legionaries has had to be risen to stave of a military revolt. On both occasions the empire all but collapsed. The Graces help us if we are ever to deal with a third demand for a pay raise, I fear we would not survive it." The prince spoke. Though frugal and austere he had never really considered himself particularly suited for the office of steward. He was an old soldier who knew how to make sure the legions where properly equipped, supplied and trained. Granted a lot of that involved marshaling resources and allocating them where they where most needed, but that didn't mean that Corineus considered himself an able civilian administrator of the treasury.

He cast a glance at the celebrating nobility in the blue palace. He knew of course what the festivities in which they indulged had cost. He knew because he had, discreetly and without notifying anyone, payed for it himself. The empire hadn't had the coin. The empire, just about, had the coin for running expenses. But any unforeseen expense, let alone a crisis, would find the imperial revenues spent already. Corineus prayed that the peasant uprising the emperor had left to deal with was a small crisis. If not it might very well bankrupt the empire. "There you have it Lord Qhe. I would be happy to elaborate and expand upon the finances of the empire but I believe that I have given you the short story."
Nation RP name
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Greater Slavic Union
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Slavic Union » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:48 pm

The High Empire of Vexia

King Michal Mávrimov of Žeřičkov

"keep calm... keep calm..." Michal said to himself, waiting for that despisable woman from the north to stop talking, so he could finally answer. And eventually, after she had mispronounced the Kingdom's name for something like three times and alledged that Michal had little manliness, she stopped.

"Yes, it's me. Michal, King of the Kingdom of Žeřičkov. And you...? I suppose you are... that girl from the Rimski-Kórsakov House, aren't you? How many of you did die in the wars?" he asked her. Just after that, he called a butter to serve him, asking for "the same as usual", and then turned to the girl again.
"Yes, you definitely are her..." he said, drinking a bit of the liquid in his glass. "So, northern Lady, you say you do not believe normal people's tales, based on the disappearing not of my wife alone, but of her whole guard as well?"

"Well then... if I can ask, if you do not believe them, why do you even consider them? They are servants, why do they matter to you? And anyways, nah... I am not really looking for a new wife... nobody found my wife's bdy yet, so my hope is her return, but I am certainly looking for allies. This new Emperor needs good people around him. You are one influent personality in the North, so you may be willing to get a position at the Court... maybe even establish your own Queendom in those lands, who knows?"
Official Name: ZápadoSłováńský Králevství
Population: 124.480.112

King: Král Michal I Kolovrát
Population growth: 2,3%

Queen: Královna Klaudia Katmařková-Kolovrátová
PPP GDP: 5.848 billion SK (Slavic Krunas)

Heirs: Crown Prince Oleg, Crown Princess Sylvia,
Warsaw Dukess Oksana, Prince of Prague Paveł
Nominal GDP: 3.868 billion USD

Current Royal Family: Kolovrát House
Fertility Index: 2,1 childs per woman

The Grene Knyght
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Grene Knyght » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Neaera of House Moonborn

Neaera swept into the ballroom. She stood straight, despite her heavy cloth-of-silver ballgown - trimmed purple as suited one of her royal house. It brought out the darkness of her skin - almost exotic compared to many of the others in the hall - as well as the silver of her eyes, a common trait for those of far Iriquiri. She was late, of course. The sort of lateness that had an air of artificiality. The sort of lateness that said 'I am here, look at me.' It was expected of one looking for a suitor. Expected of the dull, empty-headed courtesans. Her crescent moon mask, forged from solid silver, hid only half her face. She gazed around the room, looking for an opportunity to make a show of herself. The more she was noticed, she thought, the less she was truly noticed. Anyone who walked about unnoticed was obviously plotting something.
Last edited by The Grene Knyght on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[_★_]
(◕‿◕)
Socialist Women wrote:Part of the reason you're an anarchist is because you ate too much expired food
Claorica wrote:Oh look, an antifa ancom being smartaleck
Old Tyrannia wrote:Bold words from the self-declared Leninist
Currently
Reading
2015: x=-8.75,y=-6.56
2016: x=-8.88,y=-9.54
2017: x=-9.63,y=-9.90
2018: x=-9.88,y=-9.23
2019: x=-10.0,y=-9.90
2020: x=-10.0,y=-10.0
2021: x=-10.0,y=-10.0

PRO: Socialism, Communism, Internationalism, Revolution, Leninism.
NEUTRAL: Anarchism, Marxism-Leninism.
ANTI: Capitalism, Liberalism, Nationalism, Fascists, Hyper-Sectarian Leftists.
Portal Nationalist | Proletarian Moralist

The Holy Empire of Steel
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of Steel » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Sir Friedrich Uradel
Nab'eesh

The group continued walking forwards along the Southern Road. Off in the distance, one was just able to make out the Capital's inner ring of walls. Friedrich was paying close attention to how his traveling companion spoke, in an attempt to find a hidden meaning behind his words. Ultimately, it was a fruitless gesture, something that the man found appealing. Friedrich had grown weary of double-speak and hidden meanings, and was quite surprised to find the Price speaking in direct terms.

"Understandable, but you must see where I'm coming from. I've shed blood too many times to count with the Guard. Wolfgang there has fought beside me for over a decade now!" A closely following Knight thumped a gloved fist against his chest-plate, "Here's to many more sir!"

Friedrich let out a rare smile at the gesture, which was hidden partially by his half-lowered face plate. "We strike as one, and die as one. It would be most beneficial if you left any thoughts of lone-wolfing whatever happens here, in the capital. Pardon the pun." Without notice, he extended his half crumpled scroll in his hand towards the Prince. "You should have the same warning as the rest of us. As for a peaceful outcome, it's unlikely." Friedrich paused, staring darkly towards the horizon. "The peasants are already in open revolt, and have at least partially overwhelmed the local garrison." He turned his unblinking gaze towards the Roland. "When we're called in, the situation is far passed any chance of negotiating. I've found that more often than not, fear will keep the peace more often than compromise.."

In the distance, one could make out a faint glow pulsing over from beyond the city's outermost wall, as if to back up the Captain's words. Friedrich chuckled to himself. "Appears if something is already on fire.. Jalam better find me that Garrison Commander quickly.."

Leolucia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leolucia » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Greater Slavic Union wrote:Kak Dela?

''I considering them because my slaves are motivated by them, the moral boost of an army is motivated by them. And we don't died on wars, that would be foolish, we send the slaves to fight our wars and while we are at it we increase our holdings size with efficient financial strategies. Thanks to that now we own the north with an iron fist even after the plague massacred all the weaklings. My father started as a mere Earl, now he can be considered a king by his own right, he doesn't need a crown to prove it when he has the resources and the means to claim it.'' Drinks a cup of Pear juice.

''Contrary to the Southern kingdoms, we have slaves because that is more profitable than serfdom and we don't feel pity for those stubborn pieces of horse shit that refuse to accept our commands even after they are crucified. Since the crown is broken, so broken that they can't even maintain a small regular army anymore, my mischievous father had sent a letter to the crown offering a nice deal, 400 pounds of gold in exchange of the crown of the North, if the bureaucratic system allows it, good, if not then the stagnation will continue.''
Last edited by Leolucia on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Grene Knyght
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Grene Knyght » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Neaera's eyes settled on a a pair in the midst of an avid discussion. She recognised the king of Žeřičkov, who appeared distinctly uncomfortable. She smiled at the culprit of his unease. Anyone who upset a dog of the emperor was a friend to Naeara. She liked what she saw. Of course, she had been sent to court to find herself a suitable husband, but that was purely political. She went over to introduce herself.
"...if not then the stagnation will continue,'' she was saying, before Naeara unconsciously injected herself into the conversation.
"My lord" she said to the king, "a good afternoon to you." Formalities out of the way, Naeara turned to the woman, forgetting the king entirely. "My lady, I don't believe I've had the pleasure"
[_★_]
(◕‿◕)
Socialist Women wrote:Part of the reason you're an anarchist is because you ate too much expired food
Claorica wrote:Oh look, an antifa ancom being smartaleck
Old Tyrannia wrote:Bold words from the self-declared Leninist
Currently
Reading
2015: x=-8.75,y=-6.56
2016: x=-8.88,y=-9.54
2017: x=-9.63,y=-9.90
2018: x=-9.88,y=-9.23
2019: x=-10.0,y=-9.90
2020: x=-10.0,y=-10.0
2021: x=-10.0,y=-10.0

PRO: Socialism, Communism, Internationalism, Revolution, Leninism.
NEUTRAL: Anarchism, Marxism-Leninism.
ANTI: Capitalism, Liberalism, Nationalism, Fascists, Hyper-Sectarian Leftists.
Portal Nationalist | Proletarian Moralist

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Qhe the Younger
The Blue Palace

Qhe listened to the royal steward's report keenly, then nodded softly while looking to the side when the Prince had finished.
"Then it's as bad as I feared.", he said with a pit forming in his stomach.

He had seen first hand the results of a long history of imperial mismanagement out in the lands. Ironically, places closest to the heartland were hit worse. The further a place was from imperial authority, the less imperial money was needed. Once one got to the most desolate edges of the empire, the local peoples used their own economy, with imperial coin and goods becoming a rarity of value.

Unfortunately, merchants knew about the coinage, and they knew about the debts, and when merchants got nervous, the people got nervous. Prices rose, and labor dropped. It was exactly as Prince Corineus described. Not even accounting for the direct effect on the military. Things were becoming very bad within the empire.

"Though this drop in specie value had escalated with your tenure in office, I do not consider it your particular fault.", Qhe said with an honest dip of his brow. "I suspect, my lord, that this problem has been a streak of decay that has festered deep within the rock of Vexia for a long time."

That fact was likely true. The problems started small, as they always do, likely during a time of power and wealth. Through the ages, they snowballed, and the only thing keeping them unnoticed was a mask. Times when everything seemed under control and stable. Like water rotting out a ceiling. You discover the hole in the rooftop and patch it, only to much later notice the discoloring of the roof boards. Afterwords the wood breaks and your roof collapses.
At least, that's how Qhe suspected this to have gone down. Either way, he hopped they weren't too late to stop the roof caving in.

"I ask you all this, Corineus, not out of curiosity, but because I want to know how long we have left.", he had noticed Corineus' glances at the crowd. "Yes, I suspect things like this ball will have to cease. Better that way, of course. Still, this particular one was needed. It, at the least, gives others a false sense of our true standing. Better to show strength now than to have it undermined later."

He stopped for a moment and questioned if he should say his next line of thought. It was then that his cat joined him and rubbed against his robbed legs with purr. He decided it best to speak his mind.
"You were good friends with our late liege Jakar. The emperor is young, and inexperienced. He will rely on his council for guidance, much more than his father did. I dare not presume to offer advice on economics, but now is the time to guide the realm properly. I'm afraid my tutelage will not prove enough to guide Brandon on the right path. I left too early, it seems. Our liege will need the best of us to make things right. May the Four Graces forbid we fail."

With that he clasped his hands together again under his sleeves. "I'm afraid I've distracted you too long from your wife, your grace. I shall let you get back to the festivities."
He bowed much like he did when he had approached the prince and princess.

"My gratitude to your honesty in these matters. Though I ask you to take a good look at me, my lord. I hope you will realize, that I am not a coin."
With that he turned to leave.

Water Earth Fire Air

White Bluff
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby White Bluff » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Alissa Juliana Maria

Alissa managed to fine her way out side in the Palace Courtyard, she walked over to the stables. She still had her black mask on along with her hood up and her knee short dress. "Derek," she whispers, "its Alissa, I was wondering if you had heard anything interesting for me?" Her mask, only showing her crystal blue eyes, covered much of her face, but it was also framed by her curled raven black hair and her hood."and I brought payment," she pulled out two things a bottle of wine from the party and and bag of gold, "just the things you wanted."
pros: LGBT Rights, Absolute Monarchy, Socialist, Communist, Left Wing,
Anti: Right Wing, Conservative, Constitutional monarchy/Parliamentary Democracy,

“Lannister, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell. They’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top, then that one’s on top, and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground. I’m not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel." - Daenerys Targaryen

Make America Great Britain Again

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:42 pm

The High Empire of Vexia

Prince Corineus of Alba

Bowing politely towards the royal advisor Prince Corineus watched with mixed feelings as the strange man departed. He could never find the man's familiar behavior towards the emperor, tutor or not, anything but perverse. But ... The man seemed genuine enough in his concern for the fate of the empire, or at least so Corineus thought.

Not for the first time the prince lamented his lack of skill at the scheming of courtier. He knew not how to tell if a smile was false or true for he himself never smiled and was never false. Was the royal advisor sincere or playing some game Corineus did not understand? His gut told the prince that the man had been, at least to some extent, honest. Briefly Corineus cast a glance at his fair young wife. She would have know surely. Her vices and faults aside she was not one to be beguiled by the honeyed words of sycophants and schemers.

But Corineus was not one to confide in his spouse. He had learned long ago that the extent of her knowledge of, or interest in, the finances of the realm was limited to the occasion recommendation to raise taxes. A not particularly helpful suggestion. Debasement, which Corineus instinctively disliked, was a sounder choice. And while the situation was severe barring a military pay raise the answer to Qhe the Younger's musing about how long the empire could stay solvent was likely for quite some time still. The debasement, which did indeed precede Corineus's appointment, could continue for at least a decade the prince believed. Maybe more. It was a dangerous and shortsighted solution to the woes of the empire, but it was Corineus's assessment that it could continue for some time still. But if the military did demand an increase in their salaries, the Graces save the empire, for Corineus knew neither he nor any mortal man could.

Possessed of such somber thoughts Prince Corineus felt no desire to stay at the court celebration any longer. The emperor had departed and there was to be a council meeting in the morning. It would be prudent to make an early departure to prepare for the meeting rather than drink with the aimless fools infesting the Blue Palace.

So Prince Corineus returned to his wife's side. Though her hand no longer rested on the armrest of the imperial throne Princess Talia still stood right beside it observing court with a detached superior gaze. "With your brother's departure I do not believe there is any reason to stay here any longer my dear. Will you come with me home, or must I go alone?" Prince Corineus sternly demanded of his wife.

Princess Talia flashed him a look that briefly contained anger before she controlled her emotions and maintained a regal composure. "Is not my brother's departure amble cause for us to stay? Is the House of Vixis not to be represented at its own celebratory occasion?" Suggested the princess. "I am no member of the House of Vixis." Prince Corineus coldly declared. "Very well; you have made your decision, but I shall depart from this ... this masquerade at once." He then declared.

Annoyance once more appeared on the face of the princess. Then she curtseyed her husband respectfully. "As you wish my lord husband." She declared. Corineus bowed respectfully towards his wife extending his hand towards her. She at once handed him a cold perfumed hand which he dutifully kissed. Then the two spouses parted way. Corineus left for their shared home, while Princess Talia walked down from the dais of the imperial throne to mingle.

Departing Corineus cast a glance after his young wife and for a moment his stern countenance softened, momentarily replaced by a look of sadness. But as quickly as had his wife Corineus composed himself. Then he departed the court. He pondered Qhe the Younger's last strange remark about being compared to coins and what, if any, secret meaning it may entail.
Nation RP name

Skylus
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 25, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Skylus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:32 am

White Bluff wrote:
(Image)
Alissa Juliana Maria

Alissa managed to fine her way out side in the Palace Courtyard, she walked over to the stables. She still had her black mask on along with her hood up and her knee short dress. "Derek," she whispers, "its Alissa, I was wondering if you had heard anything interesting for me?" Her mask, only showing her crystal blue eyes, covered much of her face, but it was also framed by her curled raven black hair and her hood."and I brought payment," she pulled out two things a bottle of wine from the party and and bag of gold, "just the things you wanted."

Derek
"Excellent. Yes, I have heard much talk."
He excepted the bottle and gold from Alissa and went to hide them in his "secret stash". He hadn't told anyone but Alissa about what had happened to him before he ended up as a stableboy, but he had one day, and ever since, she had been bringing him gold and wine, gold to get him out of the position he was in, wine to drink while making plans/calculations.
"As to rumors, I believe that Neaera of House Moonborn likes the King of Žeřičkov. It is hard to hear things, this is all I have for now. However, I have something to ask of you. Is there any word of...my uncle's doings?"
Proud Member of OCReMix.org and Pixel Mixers
Like to draw, play piano, play video games.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/mericalgirl1234
To avoid confusion on forums - I am female
VTtM: Madison Goodwill, Link (WW), Amaterasu, Alt. Future Link, Link (TP), Link (BotW) (I’m a Zelda fan okay)
Hogwarts: Derek Forester, Madison Goodwill
RoP: Madison Goodwill, Link (BotW)

Love this site it is awesome, no I am not changing my flag because it is amazing.

White Bluff
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby White Bluff » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:53 am

Skylus wrote:
White Bluff wrote:
(Image)
Alissa Juliana Maria

Derek
"Excellent. Yes, I have heard much talk."
He excepted the bottle and gold from Alissa and went to hide them in his "secret stash". He hadn't told anyone but Alissa about what had happened to him before he ended up as a stableboy, but he had one day, and ever since, she had been bringing him gold and wine, gold to get him out of the position he was in, wine to drink while making plans/calculations.
"As to rumors, I believe that Neaera of House Moonborn likes the King of Žeřičkov. It is hard to hear things, this is all I have for now. However, I have something to ask of you. Is there any word of...my uncle's doings?"

Alissa Juliana Maria

She gives a sigh, "Yes, there is." She pauses, "his wife, your aunt, gave him a son...I'm sorry I knew that's not what you wished," she gives him a hug. "If there is ever anything that you need let me know and I can see what I can do." She pulls off her mask, "okay? " for once actually looking him in the eyes, she was slightly worried how he would react to the news of his cousin's birth.
Last edited by White Bluff on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anti: Right Wing, Conservative, Constitutional monarchy/Parliamentary Democracy,

“Lannister, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell. They’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top, then that one’s on top, and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground. I’m not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel." - Daenerys Targaryen

Leolucia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leolucia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:23 am

The Grene Knyght wrote:Neaera's eyes settled on a a pair in the midst of an avid discussion. She recognised the king of Žeřičkov, who appeared distinctly uncomfortable. She smiled at the culprit of his unease. Anyone who upset a dog of the emperor was a friend to Naeara. She liked what she saw. Of course, she had been sent to court to find herself a suitable husband, but that was purely political. She went over to introduce herself.
"...if not then the stagnation will continue,'' she was saying, before Naeara unconsciously injected herself into the conversation.
"My lord" she said to the king, "a good afternoon to you." Formalities out of the way, Naeara turned to the woman, forgetting the king entirely. "My lady, I don't believe I've had the pleasure"

''Is quite a pleasure to see a beauty from House Moonborn. Things are going well there? Your father has been doing well? Is being ages since the the last time I visited Iriquiri, I hope it still pretty as always. By the way...'' She gets near her and whispers in her ear.

''Are you still having fun during the nights? I'm quite curious about that.''
Last edited by Leolucia on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skylus
Negotiator

Postby Skylus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:16 pm

White Bluff wrote:
(Image)
Alissa Juliana Maria

She gives a sigh, "Yes, there is." She pauses, "his wife, your aunt, gave him a son...I'm sorry I knew that's not what you wished," she gives him a hug. "If there is ever anything that you need let me know and I can see what I can do." She pulls off her mask, "okay? " for once actually looking him in the eyes, she was slightly worried how he would react to the news of his cousin's birth.

Derek

"...I have a cousin?...It is true that I am happy for them...but, still, he took my life from me...and now his son is guaranteed my rightful title and home..."
Derek looked away from Alissa, then his gaze snapped up to hers.
"...You're noble, aren't you?"
VTtM: Madison Goodwill, Link (WW), Amaterasu, Alt. Future Link, Link (TP), Link (BotW) (I’m a Zelda fan okay)

Love this site it is awesome, no I am not changing my flag because it is amazing.

White Bluff
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby White Bluff » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Skylus wrote:
White Bluff wrote:
(Image)
Alissa Juliana Maria

Derek

"...I have a cousin?...It is true that I am happy for them...but, still, he took my life from me...and now his son is guaranteed my rightful title and home..."
Derek looked away from Alissa, then his gaze snapped up to hers.
"...You're noble, aren't you?"

Alissa Juliana Maria

"Yes you have a cousin." With his last question her face gets pink and warm, "yes I am, why do you ask?" Her family ruled the Duchy of Venusia which surrounds the port city and duchy capital, Aquae Helveticae, the duchy is on the southern part of the Empire. Her brother is the current Duke of Venusia.

Tertuath Hath
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Tertuath Hath » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Khasshai Qultûsh
The Blue Palace

"As much as I have enjoyed your company, my most gracious lords and ladies, I must regrettably depart."

Bowing gracefully, his outstretched arms formed two massive wings of silken cloth. In the pale light of the elegant braziers, the plain blue robe sung with a multitude of soft hues. The silken robe, embroidered with golden lace and glowing a smooth blue, dazzled his spectators in their strange masks. He had opted out of wearing a mask, the whole concept of concealing one's own visage in such a grandiose and magnificent social gathering of this magnanimity struck him as utterly ridiculous. But these were a strange people, he had reminded himself earlier, and though he would not conform this time, he knew that the success of his mission in this distant and dizzying land would rely on his ability to grow close to these people.

At the moment, however, they found his own foreigness extremely and utterly fascinating.

"Strange," he thought. It never ceased to fascinate him how one could suddenly become the object of everyone's fascination just because they were born somewhere different than they were. This wasn't his first time abroad, courting the mind of some foreign lord, but that mattered not. He always wondered what it was that drew people to drool over the foreign and exotic, what it was in their minds that forces them to latch their attention on the exotic. But these were questions for another time, in the comfort of his study.

Turning away from the awed nobles, he scanned the enormous chamber, his brown eyes squinting once in awhile, looking for someone of interest to strike up conversation with. Emperor Brandon had left, he had noticed, so his introduction to the young emperor would have to be postponed until the debacle with the peasants had been handled.

"What a pity, such a seemingly powerful and wealthy state cannot even keep their peasantry at bay."

Khasshai passed his hand over his jet black beard, teased into elegant curls, braided, and flaked with lapis lazuli. His long fingers felt the intricacies of the braids, the softness of the hair, appreciating every minute detail. The servants had done their job well. They had also not failed him in preparing his headdress; a massive cone of wrapped silk, with a thick bushel of ostrich feathers protruding from its apex, each feather gently flaked with carnelian. Below that, heavy pearls hung from his earlobes, picked from the finest of the finest of his King's collection, a personal gift from his majesty to him. At his waist, a golden buckle hung proudly, its two hooks designed to hold a portion of his robes aloft, so that he may walk without fear of stepping, and subsequently tripping, on his own robes. Finally, on his feet were a pair of fine slippers, bought with his own money before his trip north to this land.

He was, even on this strange land filled with even stranger people, a sight to be seen.

After scanning the chamber for awhile, he spotted a lone individual near the now empty throne. Smiling his porcelain smile, he weaved through the crowd of courtiers and schemers, nodding and smiling to those whose eyes gravitated towards his peculiar appearance. Upon finally reaching the lone lady, he bowed respectfully and, with an elegant wave of his left hand, said:

"My illustrious lady, allow me to introduce myself. I am Khasshai Qultûsh, courtier of the foreign lord of Itashand. I am humbled by your radiance."
Last edited by Tertuath Hath on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Early that morning...

Court of the Kingfisher
Capital Region Secretariat
Na'beesh

"Viceroy, we've received reports from the Khadar junction that some of the grain barges offloading to the depot there have caught on fire," the breathless page said as Saran briskly walked down the hallway, a stack of papers in his arms.
"The Khadar junction, you say? Is there a message?"
"Yes, Magistrate Kraal sent this."
Ugh, Kraal, Saran thought, involuntarily wrinkling his nose in distaste. Incompetent asshat. That's one who'll replace me over my dead fucking body. He began scanning the report as the page held it out for him, feeling anger and concern well up like bile in the back of his throat. "Seven of the barges docked in Khadar have burned? Have you just come from Khadar, boy? What did you see?"
"Yes, my lord. But I reckon it was more like eight or nine barges, sir, and the fire brigade was mostly in the grain depot itself, and I saw a smaller boat had gotten hung up, because one of them barges was in the middle of the canal, like-"
The boy began gesturing, but Saran sighed and waved at him to be silent. "Bloody hell. That idiot Kraal is trying to downplay this so he doesn't look too bad. This is going to be a problem if it isn't dealt with fast. Tell me, what is the honorable magistrate doing to deal with the situation?", he said with a sigh, biting sarcastically into the word honorable. The page looked slightly taken aback, as many were at first, but was adjusting quickly, perhaps remembering what he'd been told of the Viceroy.
"Well, he ordered Prefects Mueller and Crattus to get some guards to keep crowds away, and said he'd send word here or to the palace, to get some engineers to try and clear up the issue."
"So after burning the people's food, he's now sending armed guards to make sure the situation remains calm," Saran said dryly. I'll have to speak to the Emperor and get Kraal's head on a spike one of these days. "Here, take these papers," he continued, shaking his head and shoving the stack of files at the page, "and take them to my office. If you don't know where it is, ask one of the guards to take you there. Here's a copy of my seal, so they won't kill you," he added, handing the boy a small metal block. The page hurried off, and Saran turned around and began hurrying through the narrow, winding corridors. It wasn't long before he came upon a guard, standing dutifully at one of the many doorways.
"You- go find Commander Visser and tell him to mobilize an engineer unit and send it to Khadar. There's been a fire at the grain depot and a barge may have sunk in the shipping canal there. Tell him to make sure they have an escort- a few dozen pikes should do fine."
"Yessir. Right away."

That afternoon...

Imperial Dungeons
Blue Palace
Na'beesh

"What have you gotten out of this one?", Saran inquired of the interrogator as he gazed at the sleeping prisoner, chained upright to the slanted stone slab. Bruises and burn marks covered the poor man's skin, and one of his fingers was slowly dripping blood down onto the bare stone floor. The tattoo that marked his criminal affiliation, a complex array of patterns snaking around his bellybutton and down towards his genitals, looked almost like a bloodstain in the low light.
The interrogator pulled out a small notebook. "Well, with just a brand, he was quite recalcitrant, but once I got out the blade and the finger vice, he's proved quite cooperative. Apparently word on the street is that it was the Selyrak clan who set the fire."
"That corroborates the reports we have from our operatives," Saran said with a nod. "To drive up the price so they can release reserves and make a killing?"
"Indeed, sir. Something of interest, however- in my last session with the finger vice, it was a bit incoherent, but he mentioned something about a Mister Kraal. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the name...?"
I knew I'd nail Kraal for something someday!, Saran thought gleefully. "Don't concern yourself," he replied to the man brusquely. "But if you don't mind, wake him, I have a few questions."
The interrogator nodded, turning around and lashing the prisoner across the face with the bamboo switch he held in his right hand. "Wake up, scum!"
Saran held out his hand for the switch, which the interrogator gladly surrendered. "Thank you, Officer Sevrin. Leave us."
The man bowed and departed the cell, closing the door behind him.
"So you're the boy-fucker viceroy from the provinces?", the prisoner growled, looking at his robes and giving a broken chuckle as blood trickled down his cheek from the fresh cut the switch had left. Saran ignored him, calmly heading over to the table where the interrogator had left his tools and laying them out.
"Eh, you send him out so you could try me?", the man snorted. Saran delicately lifted the finger vice without turning around.
"You should stop digging yourself deeper, sir," he said quietly. "I've heard from Sevrin that you're not a fan of this device. Now, tell me what you know about Magistrate Kraal."
"What makes you think I'll tell you anything?"
Saran stepped over beside him and kneeled to put the finger vice in place, then began twisting it tighter. "I see your beauty sleep has left you rather defiant," he said, as the man suddenly gave a grunt of pain. "Not to fear, I'll order Sevrin to make sure you're not given more than a few minutes' rest from now on." Blood began dripping down from the vice and the man gave a scream as it bit into the bone. "Now, tell me what you know about Magistrate Kraal of Khadar?"
"Nothing," the man gasped.
He's steeled himself against the vice, Saran realized with annoyance. Fucking gangsters need to have some fucking regard for their own safety instead of this pig-headed ridiculousness. "Very well." He took the vice off and set it back in its place on the table, lifting a different tool that appeared to have not been used in some time, and then walking behind the prisoner to affix a blindfold. "We'll see if this jogs your memory," he said with a smirk as he finished tying the blindfold and then walked around to kneel in front of the man. "It usually has a remarkable effect on forgetful men like you." Ugh. I hate having to do this myself.

A few minutes later, the Viceroy summoned Sevrin and a servant with a towel into the room, wiping his hands off as the semi-conscious prisoner sobbed on his slab, blood making the floor slick. "Apparently the Kraal he was referring to was Magistrate Kraal, the chief magistrate of Khadar. The Selyrak crime family paid him and a few guards at the grain depot off to look the other way while their arsonist slipped in."
A knock came at the door. "My lord viceroy, I have a message for you from Khadar Junction. Permission to enter?"
"Permission granted," Saran called as he finished toweling off his hands and looked up at the page who entered. "What is it?"
"Magistrate Kraal sends word that he has gone to Kilyar, as apparently there is some unrest in Khadar. I am not exactly sure what is happening there, the message just came by carrier pigeon."
"Do we have word from the unit that Commander Visser deployed there?"
"Not yet, sir, they may not be quite there yet."
"If news of riots reach the Emperor on this day of celebrations, heads will roll. Go find Commander Visser and order him to lead a unit of six hundred lancers and a hundred crossbowmen to Khadar with all possible haste. Once the situation is under control he is to proceed to Kilyar and take Magistrate Kraal into custody for treason, sabotage, corruption, and any other crimes we may not have discovered yet. Understood?"
The page bowed quickly. "Yessir."
"And- wait." The page had been about to run off, but Saran's voice caught him like a taut leash. "Then go speak to the Granary Overseer. I want him to release the same amount of wheat as was on the barges in Khadar, plus a little... around ninety teus, I believe, from repositories in Kilyar, Sellak, and Khadar. If possible, I'd rather have our lancers handing out bread, not blows, and if that's not possible, then we need to at least make sure no one will starve tomorrow. Officer Sevrin, accompany him to see Commander Visser. I know you've been investigating the Selyrak clan for a while now, and I want you to take twenty of my personal guard and twenty Investigative Bureau men to arrest as many Selyrak members as you can find in the Khadar Junction area."
"Yessir," Sevrin and the page said. "Thank you, sir," Sevrin added, before they both hurried out.

Hall of the Imperial Throne
Blue Palace
Na'beesh

Saran felt like an idiot, wearing his stupid little golden mask, but he wore it all the same. It wouldn't do to go against the Emperor's wishes, after all. Especially when you don't know if he'll let you keep your fucking job. He was dressed all in shimmering golden silk, cutting quite a striking figure in tights that hugged his legs and an elaborately embroidered jacket with a searingly vermilion collar that had clearly required quite a lot of very expensive carmine dye. Yet though he looked the part, Saran found himself shifting his weight from side to side, fidgeting in discomfort and concern as he waited in line to present his oath and compliments to the Emperor. He looks terribly small, alone on that throne. I wonder how long he'll last before these people cut him to ribbons.

Or how long you'll last down here, before
he slices you up.
He was close enough to the throne to barely be able to hear as the messenger ascended the throne, handing the Emperor his report. Saran felt fear clench his stomach as he heard the Emperor speaking.
What? But Adrian and his lancers barely left an hour ago, they won't have gotten to Khadar yet. Who sent that report? And now Sir Friedrich is in charge of the garrison? Who would send a report like that?

Kraal. Kraal must have sent it, from Kilyar, or through a crony in the central office. That bastard. And now the Emperor knows... fuck.

Unless it's Sir Friedrich, trying to push me aside for some reason? I'll get to the bottom of this. Why do I have to be trapped here with these fucking people, cut off from my information?

Another messenger in the livery of the Capital Secretariat suddenly seemed to materialize at his shoulder, and Saran inclined his head so the man could whisper in his ear.
"Sir, Magistrate Kraal has sent word that he is alerting the palace and asking for reinforcements, as rioting and disorder has spread to Kilyar."
I'll have his head on a spike by dawn, Saran thought, nostrils flaring. "Very good. Instruct the Secretariat to release two hundred more lancers to Commander Visser's force riding for Khadar and send a messenger to let him know that Kilyar is experiencing difficulties as well, and that Sir Friedrich and Prince Roland may be heading his way with some Honor Guard and additional troops."
"Yessir."
The Emperor suddenly rose, descending the dais and sweeping from the throne room. Saran brushed a few errant hairs away from his face and hurried after him, finally catching up as the young monarch was heading down one of the dim corridors of the palace.
"Your Majesty?"
Saran bowed and kneeled, as was proper.
"Commander Visser sends his regrets, Your Majesty, that he could not be present- I had to dispatch him on an urgent mission a few hours ago when we received word of a fire at the grain depot in Khadar, and riots there. The situation should soon be controlled and he will be back later, to bid Your Majesty good fortune." He rose, bowing again, and paused for a moment to see if the Emperor had a response or if he could depart. I hope Adrian is alright out there...
Last edited by Senkaku on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Skylus
Negotiator

Postby Skylus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:02 am

White Bluff wrote:
(Image)
Alissa Juliana Maria

"Yes you have a cousin." With his last question her face gets pink and warm, "yes I am, why do you ask?" Her family ruled the Duchy of Venusia which surrounds the port city and duchy capital, Aquae Helveticae, the duchy is on the southern part of the Empire. Her brother is the current Duke of Venusia.

Derek
He was silently hoping that Alissa couldn't see how red his face had gotten as he proposed his idea.
"I cannot get anywhere my rightful home...at least at my rank as of now...but...er...I was wondering...if...I...I could...er...act as if I was betrothed to you...? In order to gain access to the Estate."
He had said it. He wondered what her response would be.
Then Derek remembered her age, which was eight years older than he, and mentally kicked himself.
Last edited by Skylus on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

White Bluff
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby White Bluff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:06 am

Skylus wrote:
White Bluff wrote:
(Image)
Alissa Juliana Maria

Derek
He was silently hoping that Alissa couldn't see how red his face had gotten as he proposed his idea.
"I cannot get anywhere my rightful home...at least at my rank as of now...but...er...I was wondering...if...I...I could...er...act as if I was betrothed to you...? In order to gain access to the Estate."
He had said it. He wondered what her response would be.
Then Derek remembered her age, which was eight years older than he, and mentally kicked himself.

Alissa Juliana Maria

Her face turned bright red at the proposal, she had never thought of marriage because of her work. "I-I....I don't know....I mean you are very handsome, but this is just sudden..." She sits down to think about the proposal, a few minutes later she stands, "I told you I would help you if I could, and I can help you by doing this, so yes you may act as my betrothed."

Skylus
Negotiator

Postby Skylus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 am

This got interesting...well, I mean, what else is he supposed to do?
Derek
...She called me...
As he thought about this, he realized with a jolt that he had no idea what betrothed people did.
"...Just what do betrothed people do?"
He had never had experience with this topic, simply because he had not been allowed to be near women, something about "being too young", but yet...he wasn't in a way. Besides, he had never been inside the castle, just down to the marketplace. People had, however, decided to make the stables their meeting places...
Derek felt a bit idiotic for asking Alissa, but he really had no idea.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse