NATION

PASSWORD

Hogwarts: [OOC/Sign-Up/Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 am

Cainesland wrote:Is self-transfiguration ok? Or would that be to close to being an animagi? According to the wiki, it sounds like an advanced form of transfiguration magic taught to sixth years at Hogwarts (and I think sooner at the African school) that allows one to change a part of, or the whole of, their form into another form. They can probably do so at will with body gestures, rather than a wand if trained at the African school.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Human_Transfiguration
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Uagad ... l_of_Magic

It is still a 6th year magic, and we have a rule for no more transfers, so you didn't get taught at the african school
Lover of doggos

Skylus
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 25, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Skylus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 am

Too soon for that stuff dude. Also I think we're not allowing any more transfers.
Proud Member of OCReMix.org and Pixel Mixers
Like to draw, play piano, play video games.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/mericalgirl1234
To avoid confusion on forums - I am female
VTtM: Madison Goodwill, Link (WW), Amaterasu, Alt. Future Link, Link (TP), Link (BotW) (I’m a Zelda fan okay)
Hogwarts: Derek Forester, Madison Goodwill
RoP: Madison Goodwill, Link (BotW)

Love this site it is awesome, no I am not changing my flag because it is amazing.

Revlona
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 am

Skylus wrote:Too soon for that stuff dude. Also I think we're not allowing any more transfers.

We aren't
Lover of doggos

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:39 am

Revlona wrote:
Skylus wrote:Too soon for that stuff dude. Also I think we're not allowing any more transfers.

We aren't

We aren't but his app said he was originally at Hogwarts. There is a precedent for transferring out of Hogwarts and returning, such as Madi and Adam and to a certain extent Freya.

My biggest issue was the self transfiguration.
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Revlona
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 am

Britanania wrote:
Revlona wrote:We aren't

We aren't but his app said he was originally at Hogwarts. There is a precedent for transferring out of Hogwarts and returning, such as Madi and Adam and to a certain extent Freya.

Well the problem I have is that it seems that he is purposefully transferring out in order to get a leg up in magic over others
Lover of doggos

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 am

Revlona wrote:
Britanania wrote:We aren't but his app said he was originally at Hogwarts. There is a precedent for transferring out of Hogwarts and returning, such as Madi and Adam and to a certain extent Freya.

Well the problem I have is that it seems that he is purposefully transferring out in order to get a leg up in magic over others

Yeah I get that. It was an issue I had with Erwin, as well.

Removing self transfiguration should rectify that
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Revlona
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:45 am

Britanania wrote:
Revlona wrote:

Mmk
Lover of doggos

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:53 am

Britanania wrote:
Revlona wrote:

Ok, I can do that. Looking it up on the website it seems that human transfiguration is part of the sixth year curriculum anyway. Unless, it is decided otherwise I suppose. Would keeping wandless magic be ok? Or would you prefer that be removed as well?

Here is a link to Wandless magic.
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Wandless_magic

Here is a link to nonverbal, but I think with a wand, taught in sixth year Hogwarts charm class.
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Nonverbal_spell

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:07 am

Cainesland wrote:
Britanania wrote:Yeah I get that. It was an issue I had with Erwin, as well.

Ok, I can do that. Looking it up on the website it seems that human transfiguration is part of the sixth year curriculum anyway. Unless, it is decided otherwise I suppose. Would keeping wandless magic be ok? Or would you prefer that be removed as well?

Here is a link to nonverbal, but I think with a wand, taught in sixth year Hogwarts charm class.

We've begun teaching wandless magic.

As for non verbal, that's a grey area.

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:12 am

Britanania wrote:
Cainesland wrote:

Ok. Thank you.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:12 am

Britanania wrote:
Cainesland wrote:

I think non verbal has been used a few times, certainly by Celene.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:17 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Britanania wrote:We've begun teaching wandless magic.

I think non verbal has been used a few times, certainly by Celene.

We've used it for convenience, it hasn't technically been taught

Miekzhemy
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Miekzhemy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Britanania wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I think non verbal has been used a few times, certainly by Celene.

We've used it for convenience, it hasn't technically been taught

^this

Neither nonverbal nor wandless has really been taught in classes yet. I decided to have my character start learning how to do wandless magic around fourth year, but I was careful to not use powerful spells with it.

Part of us running this rp was always keeping an eye on everyone and telling them what they can and can't use when it comes to magic. It was usually to be expected, and just about all of the new players ended up using something ridiculously powerful at least once (take first years casting sectumsempra for example). As the school years go by we've expanded on what everyone can use. It keeps everyone on a relatively equal playing ground.

That being said, and I've advised this a couple times in the past, look up the spells or techniques on the wikia before using them in a post. It sometimes tells you which school year they are taught in.
I'm just a guy that likes playing video games, drawing, acting/musical theatre, piano, rp, and impersonating people with a spunky disposition.

Revlona
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:41 am

Man, caitie gonna kill lucas?
Lover of doggos

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:47 am

Miekzhemy wrote:
Britanania wrote:We've used it for convenience, it hasn't technically been taught

^this

Neither nonverbal nor wandless has really been taught in classes yet. I decided to have my character start learning how to do wandless magic around fourth year, but I was careful to not use powerful spells with it.

Part of us running this rp was always keeping an eye on everyone and telling them what they can and can't use when it comes to magic. It was usually to be expected, and just about all of the new players ended up using something ridiculously powerful at least once (take first years casting sectumsempra for example). As the school years go by we've expanded on what everyone can use. It keeps everyone on a relatively equal playing ground.

That being said, and I've advised this a couple times in the past, look up the spells or techniques on the wikia before using them in a post. It sometimes tells you which school year they are taught in.

Celene's very long-lasting shield charm is her speciality, so I sort of assumed it didn't require her repeating 'protego' under her breath all the time
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Skylus
Negotiator

Postby Skylus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:01 am

Holy.

SHIT.
VTtM: Madison Goodwill, Link (WW), Amaterasu, Alt. Future Link, Link (TP), Link (BotW) (I’m a Zelda fan okay)

Love this site it is awesome, no I am not changing my flag because it is amazing.

Miekzhemy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Miekzhemy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:50 pm

Aaaand that's a wrap.

Standby for sixth year everyone. We'll have that up soon enough
I'm just a guy that likes playing video games, drawing, acting/musical theatre, piano, rp, and impersonating people with a spunky disposition.

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 pm

My app is almost ready. I should have it ready to go by tomorrow. I think the main thing left is themesong, and making sure the bio seems ok, and adding a last name if need be. Do I need to include a list of spells known, spell preferences, pets, and/or classes that have been taken in the past or are taking in year 6?

If it helps, this is what it looks like so far:

Name: Merlin
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Appearance/Picture
When not wearing his school uniform during formal ceremonies, Merlin where’s a white dress shirt, black braces/suspenders, black dress pants, formal coat, black dress shoes, and carries a Silver pocket watch that lets him know the time.
Blood status: Muggle
House (future house): Ravenclaw
Patronus (Optional): Acromantula
Views (Blood ideology, optional):
Fears: Heights, Fire
Likes and Dislikes:
Dislikes: Math
Personality: Merlin is someone who likes to explore his surroundings and become familiar with it. He is a friendly person who enjoys learning and helping others.
Brief Backstory:
Merlin was born in England, 16 years ago. His Dad was the permanent secretary of the department of foreign affairs. Growing up, Merlin attended a muggle school, as well as attended extra curricular activities in the form of scouts and naval cadets. He would often spend the summers on his grandparents farm, helping around the farm and occasionally playing by the stream. When he was 10 he accidentally turned the pin the tail on the donkey poster, into a real donkey, causing quiet the stir at the birthdays party. Fortunately, it was only temporary, but the flare for transfiguration magic caught the attention of the quill and book, and when he turned 11 he received his invitation to Hogwarts.

In his first year at wizarding school, Merlin was sorted into his house. In his case the hat had trouble between RavenClaw, because of his intelligence, and Hufflepuff, because of his hardworking honest and loyal nature, but eventually the hat decided decided on Ravenclaw. He did well in his studies, particularly in his transfiguration and history of magic classes. In the proceeding years he spent a year attending various institutions.

His second year at a wizarding school was spent in Beaxbatons. During his time at Beauxbatons, he was assigned to the Rouerie house. He was able to get to know a few of his instructors - who helped him develop his skills in potion making and herbology, and his classmates. The school had a band as well and he got involved by trying to learn to play the harpsichord.

In his third and fourth year of attending wizarding schools he was in the Uagadou school of witchcraft and wizardry in Africa. There he honed his magic talents in transfiguration further, and took electives in runes and the care of magical creatures. He learned how to perform wandless magic, how to speak with animals and magical beasts, and learned about many of the natural and magical beasts of the world, with one of his favourites being the acromantula.

In year 5 he returned to Hogwarts. During his 5th year he continued to do well in his classes, and learned that his Patronus was an Acromantula. He fought in the battle at the end of the year, leaving a few enemies encased in webs (from his spells) for others to interrogate or finish off as required.
Theme (Optional):
RP example:
Merlin sat down on the red cushion of the Hogwarts express. Rain poured down on the window next to him, but through the soaked glass he could make out the platform. There were a few people standing upon it, but most had boarded already. He remembered the first time he tried to come to Hogwarts. How he had been perplexed at the thought of running full speed at a brick wall, and how that would help him enter a world of magic witches and wizards. A world of dreams? Maybe, but probably not of witches and wizards. That was nearly 6 years ago perhaps. A lot had happened since then. He had attended classes, joined an orchestra, seen France and Africa, and fought in a battle. It had been an exciting 5 years. He was looking forward to his next year at Hogwarts.

Do not remove: 3391
Last edited by Cainesland on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:13 pm

Cainesland wrote:My app is almost ready. I should have it ready to go by tomorrow. I think the main thing left is themesong, and making sure the bio seems ok. Do I need to include a list of spells known, spell preferences, pets, and/or classes that have been taken in the past or are taking in year 6?

No, it should be the same as everyone else.

Revlona
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:17 am

6th year here we come

Sweet
Lover of doggos

Skylus
Negotiator

Postby Skylus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 am

Change the title to closed, people. Oh wait.

Miekzhemy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Miekzhemy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:58 pm

Sixth Year is now live

As of now, applications have been closed. Those that are currently editing or have WIP applications will be allowed to finish them. Any questions should be TG'd to either me, Brit, or True Christopia. Preferably Brit though

To all players, you may post whatever you wish in terms of your characters' summer vacations, so have fun and get some interaction in for now. Our first time skip will be to the opening feast in the Great Hall, so stay tuned
Last edited by Miekzhemy on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:01 am

Miekzhemy wrote:Sixth Year is now live

As of now, applications have been closed. Those that are currently editing or have WIP applications will be allowed to finish them. Any questions should be TG'd to either me, Brit, or True Christopia. Preferably Brit though

To all players, you may post whatever you wish in terms of your characters' summer vacations, so have fun and get some interaction in for now. Our first time skip will be to the opening feast in the Great Hall, so stay tuned

So you told me that applications were closed before they actually were?

Skylus
Negotiator

Postby Skylus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:58 am

No, he said that apps would be closed as soon as the opening post for year 6 was posted.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:01 am

Skylus wrote:No, he said that apps would be closed as soon as the opening post for year 6 was posted.

oh sorry, it was you and brit who said they were already closed.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse